Speaker 1: Hey, there are folks. It is Saturday, October the eleventh. Twins nineteen year old twins found dead, both shot in a remote trail on a Georgia mountain. The authorities have closed the case, saying it was a double suicide. The boys family say, ain't no way. And with that, welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ. Robes's case. Get digget a lot of attention initially as getting more now because new information has come out and this is a deepening mystery and some of these details are just on both sides are just kind of head scratching.
Speaker 2: Yes, we have been reading in on this story and it began on March seventh of this year and still today October eleventh. There are so many questions about what actually happened that led to the death of Naseera and kaydiir Lewis again twins, from the way their body was positioned, to why they were there in the first place, to the plans they had that made family members believe and still believe to this day that they had no intention of ending their lives. It's just it's mysterious and it's alarming, and there are no clear answers. Although like you said. The Georgia Bureau of Investigation says, they know what happened. Case closed, we're done investigation over.
Speaker 1: But it's such a bizarre story that by all the counts, these two young men were very inseparable. Again, twins, nineteen year old young black men. They even shared a vehicle, but they stayed at home. They lived at home with their dad and their stepmom. So that's it. Said in Lawrenceville, Georgia, you know the area better, so give the idea for people that don't know where that is in the state.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Lawrenceville, Georgia is in the part of Gwinnett County. It's where I grew up. It's where I went to middle school and high school. My whole family still lives in that area. It's a beautiful part just north of Atlanta and just the kind of your idyllic suburb of Atlanta, Georgia where honestly, the big water tower there if you've passed through, says Gwinett is great, and that is kind of the community that it is. It's just a it's a peaceful, beautiful place to grow up.
Speaker 1: So we're trying to or the family is looking for answers. Now the Georgia of Bureau Investigation says this was a double suicide. The family says no, what roabes you go through and some of the evidence, if you will, on both sides of this point to, yeah, this kind of looks like it could have been a double suicide, and then you hear other details and go, wait a minute, there's no way. So this week we're talking about it because CNN reportedly has gotten their hands on this Georgia Bureau of Investigation file on this particular case, and there's some new details coming out that I guess robes don't necessarily clear things up.
Speaker 2: No. In fact, we were actually looking at some of the initial news reports coming out of the Atlanta area that actually completely do not jibe with what CNN is now reporting is actually in the Georgia Bureau of Investigation file. So it's unclear where the truth lies. And I don't know that anyone's going to feel comfortable with it, especially not family members at this point.
Speaker 1: So what we're talking about was earlier this year, we were talking about the night of March seventh, that was a Friday night. These boys, Nauseir and Kadir, they take off in their car. They're seen at a grocery state a gas station, I should say, they got gas, they got beef jerky, they got water, and drove off into the night. Now they drove from where they were some ninety miles north to and you break this down, Hiawa Si versus Blue Mountain? Where were they exactly?
Speaker 2: See? I actually am very familiar with that area too. It's a beautiful area in the Georgia Mountains, the North Georgia Mountains, right along the North Carolina border. A lot of wooded trails. It's a it's a just a playground for hikers. Folks love this area. My parents love this area. I have been up there with them hiking. So it is a remote area. Now, these two were found on a summit it was called Bell Mountain, in the Blue Mountain Trail, on the along the Blue Mountain Trail, and hikers, actually another student hiker I believe, found their bodies some twelve hours later, lying side by side there. This is how their bodies were described as legs straight, arms outstretched, and anime a anime sword by both of them. They were fans of anime. But it just almost looked like the bodies were positioned. It doesn't seem as though that were the that could have possibly been the way two bodies would fall if each of them died by suicide, sharing the gun one after the other. The way police say it happened.
Speaker 1: To that point the lawyer, that was one of the things they say, quote the main thing is the way the bodies were positioned. They were not conducive to what you would consider a suicide situation. Again, this was considered a double suicide and the case has been closed. The gun was found in between the legs of one of the boys' particular weapon a forty five calendar nineteen eleven style gun. That's relevant. We'll get more into that in a second, but a specific gun. This gun. They don't know how the boys got it brose, but this was a gun that was reported stolen. They don't know how it came into their possession, but it had been reported stolen from Powder Springs, Georgia. If you know the area, it's about fifty miles from Lawrenceville, so it is in the area. But they don't know how it ended up with them.
Speaker 2: So that's a big question mark there. But when you actually look at the GBI investigation, they say that the forensics that they took show that both boys fired the gun, so it wasn't a murder suicide. It was, according to the GBI, a double suicide where one brother shot the gun killed himself, the other brother takes the gun and shoots himself. Both of the wounds were considered contact range, meaning it was a gun up to the head pressed against the side of the head, and one brother, according to the investigation, actually FaceTime a friend ahead of time showing this girl the gun that they had and they claim it's the same gun that was used in the double suicide.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's these things are these are the things that are they're trying to piece together because none of this makes sense to the family and in some regards it doesn't make sense with the GBI investigation either. They do have, according to authorities, several Google searches that suggests that the boys were thinking about suicide. They even though the family said these guys were solid and happy, the GBI investigation showed that they did have evidence that they had struggled with stress and in particular financial pressures. I think the dad had a stroke and I think that put a little more strain on the family and maybe on the boys, but there was a suggestion that that even had an impact on their mental health, that even the family didn't know about it, they had only shared with maybe some friends.
Speaker 2: Yes, and the gun that they recovered did have just two spent shells. And they also noted that there was a note left behind, not a suicide note of any kind, but there was a note that the boys left behind for their stepmother to read, saying please return to my uncle Raheem. It was a camera that they had borrowed to take some photographs of, so they pointed that as well, saying they were tying up loose ends, making sure something they had borrowed was given back to the person they borrowed it from. And they also made note that there was a newly purchased rope in the vehicle that the brothers left behind parked at the trailhead there at the North Georgia Mountains.
Speaker 1: Like that to mean whatever it could possibly mean, but it was noted.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: The parts of this that the family will point to was the boy's behavior ahead of time, before all this took place, they were doing normal stuff. They were out shopping, they were making plans, even travel plans in particular. Now the night that the boys went off and then ended up dead. Nauseir had a flight book that day going to Boston. Now he got to the airport, according to this file, and they actually reached out to the person he was going to visit his girlfriend in Boston, and yes, and very much this generation's language, he texted her saying I'm cooked because of the TSA line, I think he included a picture. So they authorities like, yeah, he was at the airport. So how does this kid go from making and having a plan to spend the weekend with his girlfriend to wanting to kill himself that same night? So he misses the flight and makes a plan with her that I'm going to reschedule, gonna come tomorrow, that's fine. How do you go? And this is what the family is struggling with in some details like that, how good a guy he was going to hang out with his girlfriend. He was literally at the airport and that same night decides suicide.
Speaker 2: And look, I think it's one thing for one person to die by suicide, and that's hard enough for a family to get their head around. What did I miss? What warning signs did I not see? How did I not know my loved one was struggling. That's such a specific and individual experience that we can't possibly try to get our heads around. But to know that two people, and I know they're identical twins, and I know they were close, could come to the same conclusion at the same time and side to do it together, that is a whole other level of questions, And it just seems so highly unlikely. I don't care how much DNA you share that you would both feel the same with different experiences. One has a girlfriend, one has friends, they have plans, they're nineteen years old, for God's sakes, their whole lives are in front of them. It's just it's gutting to think that they could have actually been in the same place at the same time. And who knows, could the airport situation have just been the final straw. It sounds silly, but sometimes if you're teetering on the edge of what to do and feeling lost and hopeless, one small, seemingly insignificant thing could send you over the edge. I don't know, but it's the family isn't buying it. The family says, without a doubt, these two were inseparable, Yes, but they never ever talked about harm, talked about violence, never even got into a fistfight with one another. They said these were calm, peaceful, relatively happy young men as far as every one in their family could see.
Speaker 1: Well are they also? And we've seen stories before of twins, right, being incredibly connected in all kinds of ways, and even transitioning later in life to in the same ways that are bizarre? Is it they might come across as bizarre to us that that's possible, But is that could that be a case to where yes, they had sets of friends and wentnot but they say they were so close that their lives were so closely aligned. I mean they shared a car, they lived together. Right. Are they so closely aligned that their experiences did result in these two people with the exact same DNA experiencing those things the same way and leading to the same feelings within them. I think that's just fascinating. It's wild to imagine just the human body being able to do that, to replicate that the mind being able to do that.
Speaker 2: I know it sounds and I obviously yes, that's so fascinating. And you and I and anyone who isn't a twin can't imagine what that feeling is like. But it's just remarkable to think that something a decision like this could be made together. And look, I don't know what anyone goes through right before they make this ultimate decision, but part of it I had thought, and maybe this is where I am wrong. Loneliness would be a huge part of it, or despair or hopelessness. But if you've got this person in life who knows what you're feeling and knows what you're thinking and can commiserate with you in every way, that's enough. Like you've got your person. Like they were almost yes tied by DNA, and through experience, they had each other. So that's what actually is also concerning to me to think about, just on a human level, that they had one another. They weren't lonely in the sense that they had each other. So why do this without any explanation, without any note knowing they were gonna leave family members, girlfriends, fathers, stepmothers with questions in despair like that just seems so hard to get your head around.
Speaker 1: So there's the point and what you deser. We don't know these boys at all, and even from what we are reading and what we're gathering, this sound so out of left field. So imagine how the family feels trying to accept the answer that these two decided to do this, and look, I was talking to you about this ahead of time. Huh, there's one gun. Somebody had to do this first. So one brother watched his brother kill himself and then immediately did the same. That what is happening in life that that scenario is possible?
Speaker 2: I don't that is the bar that what and the family isn't. The family said someone took these two. They've never gone hiking, they don't like hiking. They don't know the area. They wouldn't know a trail, especially in the middle of the night, to make it up to this summit. This isn't something an area that they know to traverse. Trails are hard to this is I'm an avid hiker. Trails are difficult in that area, especially to navigate in the daylight, when you know where you're going, when you know where the markings are on the trees, to follow the trail to get to the summit. So that's part of their argument. They didn't know this area, they didn't go hiking. How did they make it in the dark all the way up to the summit to do this. It makes no sense, all right.
Speaker 1: So that's some of what the file said is going on. But stay here, we will tell you about now the digital the digital evidence that authorities got from their phones. That adds to the mystery. But some are saying it actually is why they have closed this case. We continue now here on Amy and TJ. The mystery continue. Some new questions have now arose after the GBI report. Georgia Buau investigation report has been not released but obtained by CNN, giving us new details about a story that got a lot of attention and some national attention. Twin brothers, Nazir and Kadir Lewis twin brothers. It was ruled a double suicide on a Georgia mountain there on the North Carolina border, but the family is not buying it. And now this new report is giving some new details. Among those details roads a lot of stuff that they got from the young men's phone, including the fact that they watch a video about the gun that they had, this nineteen eleven gun. Even if you're not a gun enthusiast, you see this gun and you recognize it because it's in a lot of movies. It's just a very popular style of guns, so they watched a video on it. But robe they also had several searches, specific Google searches that they did that I guess kind of yes, the mean story.
Speaker 2: The only way you could try to get your head around these Google searches is if somebody, according to the family, if someone did this to them, if they aren't responsible for their own deaths, then someone would have had to elaborately go into their phones and create these searches. And who knows, But the GBI said that the Internet history from their cell phones showed this searches for loading a gun. They also apparently searched for twenty twenty four suicide rates. A search of Naseer's phone turned up videos titled what is it like Getting shot at? And should you shoot at an angle? So those very specific Internet searches on their phones certainly are fairly damning or at least corroborate what GBI officials are now saying is and was a double suicide. Something else that was interesting they found in the backpack that was not near their bodies apparently, but in the backpack of Kaidir there was a notebook that had the title Journey to the afterlife. So there are plenty of fairly significant pieces of evidence that the police are pointing to to say this corroborates our theory, or at least our decision. We've ruled these deaths a double suicide.
Speaker 1: Dear Nasir Lewis, Well, this is in even if it did happen that way. I want to know more about these young men. I want to hear about their lives, their story, like what was going on with them to get them to this place. I think that it is a fascinating place to get in learning about twins, like how do you get to this exact same place of despair that you want to end your life? Are you that close with your I don't know. I don't get. And again I certainly don't get how you could watch your twin shoot himself in the head and then a moment later do the same thing to yourself.
Speaker 2: You must be desperate and unfortunately not neither one of them, if this is true, felt like they could share this with anyone else other than with each other. Now complicating this mystery just a bit, I wanted to point out a short time after these two boys' bodies were found, the body of a thirty eight year old man was discovered in this same location. That is bizarre. His death was also classified as a suicide. But get this, all three of these men lived in Gwinnett County at the time of their deaths, and all of them ended up on this mountaintop on Bell Mountain in the North Georgia Mountains, just five miles away from hiawassee Georgia. And so now these two families have actually connected because none of them believe that their loved ones actually died by suicide, and so they've actually gotten together. They're calling for an independent investigation, but they say that this other man, this thirty eight year old, was a generous, well known figure in the local skateboarding community. He was a caring person. He was not the type of person who, whatever they say, his family members say, take his own life. So it just adds to the mystery that now within the span of a few months, you have three men all dying by suicide at the exact same location, all hailing from the same area, no obvious other known connection between the two. But certainly it's another puzzling component to a tragic, tragic situation that doesn't really have a satisfying answer for anybody.
Speaker 1: And they are not. We should note the families are not letting this go and letting this rest. Family, at least of the twins is looking to hire a private investigator to look into this independently, and we will keep an eye on that. But really, this is not, by any means a closed case. Even if it did happen the way the authorities say it happened, I still would like to hear more about this case.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that makes sense. Put yourself in this family's position, and anybody who felt just completely blindsided by something this tragic and this horrific with enough question marks, because you just start to think, if something happened to them, could someone be covering their tracks by making it look like a suicide? That is a that is an absolute genuine response. I mean I understand that. And at the very least, you just want to make sure you turned over every rock, you made sure you looked at every possible scenario before accepting what police just hand to you and say this is what happened. Because there is no one saw it happen. There's the only two people who know what happened, at least from what we know are those two young men and it's worth an investigation. I would want to do the same if that were my family member.
Speaker 1: Folks, we'll keep an eye on it. We always appreciate you hanging with us. For now, I'm TJ. Holmes. I gonna have of my partner, hemy Robock. We'll talk to us day