Speaker 1: Hi, everybody, Welcome to the Phillies Show with Group of Tomorrow Junior Jim Salisbury. I am todd so lucky. It is Monday, April fifteenth, twenty twenty four. Gentlemen, the Phillies split a weekend series against the Pirates. I think everybody you know Phillies fans for sure went into this Sunday series finale feeling pretty good about their chances to take three out of four. You have Zach Wheeler on the mound, who's been pitching great all year, finally get a nice weather day, so you're thinking, man, maybe the bats finally get going a little bit. And then Zach Wheeler struggles a little bit and the offense really doesn't get going. They lose, so they split that series finale, split the series against the Pirates, and so much talk continues about this offense. Guys. You know Howard Eskin, our dear friend Howard Eskin on Thursday is asking Rob Thompson about the lack of slug and are you gonna slug enough this season? And I know you're gonna make the playoffs, but are you gonna slug enough? And Rob had a great response. He says, wait a second, so you know we're gonna make the playoffs, but you don't know if we're gonna slug or not, which I thought was which I thought was great because it's so true. You know, you can't have one without the other. In my opinion, this team's hitting like it is right now. Boy, it could be a rough second half. I personally think, like Rob Thompson, they will slug. But I want to ask you guys this question, is there what point of this season or how many had bats into his season do you start to feel like we're getting a picture of what a player can do or what a team can do offense? Will be Jim, what about you? I mean you've interviewed so many you know, managers over the years. Rubin, I mean you played. I mean, whoever wants to get to start. Let's get your thoughts on that.
Speaker 2: Go ahead.
Speaker 1: I want to hear what you say that'll copy it.
Speaker 3: So I think it's just I think this is a product of a couple of things. I know that they wanted to get off to a good start and all that other business. They want to do things a little differently in spring training, which they did with the pitchers, but they didn't.
Speaker 2: Do so with the with the position players.
Speaker 3: And I think part of it you had they have this sort of built in excuse that they had a virus.
Speaker 2: Running through you know, running through the clubhouse.
Speaker 3: It was pretty significant obviously, O'Ryan kirkering just getting back from that, and it really backed guys up because they didn't really get They didn't get on the field and start really doing their work until a little bit later. In most cases, like I don't know, eighty or eighty percent of the players that said, I do not think that they got enough at bats, enough competitive at bats, enough playing time, enough chances to run the bases enough. In this day and age, everybody wants to be more and more careful. The players are designing their own.
Speaker 2: Path for spring training.
Speaker 3: They all know what they're supposed to do to get ready. Well, guess what, they don't always all know what to do.
Speaker 2: To get ready for spring training.
Speaker 3: I believe in my heart of hearts that you've got to get somewhere between sixty and eighty at bats in a games, not in the backfield games.
Speaker 2: You got to get between.
Speaker 3: Sixty and eighty at bats, and you've got to get multiple at bats to start getting a rhythm, get your legs underneath, to get your eyes together, get your timing going, and you need the opportunities to get on the base pass because if you don't do anything.
Speaker 2: For three months, baseball is a weird game.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: You put your spikes on, it's different, it's different on your body, it's different, your eyes different, you on your ability to react. There's all types of things that have to happen. That's why you play the games to get ready to play a major league season. I think that there is such an emphasis on allowing players, they don't care whether they're veterans or young players, giving them their time to get ready.
Speaker 2: Well, guess what. There is a tried and true.
Speaker 3: Method of getting guys ready, And guess what it is is actually playing the games, getting one at bat and getting two at innings on the field and then sitting.
Speaker 2: And cutting it. That's like a joke, Okay, a joke for me.
Speaker 3: Go out there and play five innings in your first game because they're all physically ready to do it.
Speaker 2: Go get ready and go play. And I know people, and I think this is epidemic.
Speaker 5: This is not just the Phillies or Rob Thompson or their staff or the medical staff I think it is an epidemic thing that is happening in baseball.
Speaker 2: And people are not ready. I've watched Bait all the Bay a lot of baseball this year. It's ugly. There's not great baseball going on. You know who's playing well? The Dodgers, you know what I have.
Speaker 6: They're playing well because the Dodgers had to play in Japan and they started getting ready earlier.
Speaker 2: So here here's my take. First of all, they're not They weren't ready to play Number one. Number two.
Speaker 3: I think it's going to take longer to find out what that team what they are because they're still going through spring training. In my mind, and I think they're in the asked. I used to assess my team much better after about a month and a half, six weeks May fifteenth to May thirtieth, somewhere in there, I knew what my team is. Now, because people don't play, and people don't really get ready and rolling and get enough reps, I don't know what teams. You can't assess them until mid June because that's when you start to find out whether these guys after one hundred and.
Speaker 2: Fifty at bats or two hundred at bats.
Speaker 3: That's when you find out what these guys really are and what kind of team you got.
Speaker 2: That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it.
Speaker 7: I mean here in the very interesting points, extremely interesting points almost reminds me a little of what we're hearing about the NFL. Ow preseason has become irrelevant in the first handful of games are like extended preseason. The reason you see some sloppy play, etc. Guys still getting their legs. Hear that all the time time in the NFL. I would pick that or the new NFL, I should say, the way it's evolved with the de emphasis of preseason, I'm wondering they've played sixteen games based on your observations, room, and that's just under ten percent of the season. Do you think, I mean, if this is sort of an extended spring and these sixteen games, maybe you're a little bit fortunate to be at the midwater mark eight and eight while you're still getting your legs in quote unquote extended spring training. Do you think those sixteen games, these past sixteen games have been good prepper? Are we going to see them start to get going soon?
Speaker 2: Here? I think they'll get better. They're too talented. There's too much ability.
Speaker 6: I mean, you got guys like schore, Bert Turner, Harper, Castiano's boom Stot. They're really talented, super talented players. I just don't know that they were in rhythm.
Speaker 3: Like I believe that you have to go through different stages in spring training. You get your legs underneath you, you get your hands going with the bat, you get your timing going, you get hot, you get cold, you get hot again, and then the season starts. That's the rhythm of spring training for me, for everyday players. I've watched it too many times. I know how it works.
Speaker 6: If you get enough at bats and you get enough reps and you get enough times on the basis they are not running the base as well, they're a better based running team.
Speaker 2: Than they are.
Speaker 6: They're not a superb running based running team because sometimes it makes some overly aggressive decisions as a team.
Speaker 3: But they're much better than what I've seen, and I know they can steal bases, but they're a better overall based running team when it comes to going first and third, making decisions.
Speaker 2: Not getting picked off.
Speaker 6: But all those things you have to go through in spring training so that you're ready for him in the game. It's just, you know, there's not a lot of teams that can just not a lot of players. You can't get twenty six players all of a sudden go Okay, here's here's a switch.
Speaker 3: We're gonna plick it on and go play. There's only a few guys you can do that. Some guys can, some guys can't, but most cannot.
Speaker 2: And so I think that they're a better team than this. There's no question in my mind. I do think the pitching has been excellent. I really do. It's just not being supported by the rest of them, and.
Speaker 7: They've been sloppy. They've been sloppy in the field as well, which I think fits into what you're saying about reps and being ready to go. That's why I think very fortunate to be eight and eight ten percent of the way into the season, and maybe we'll see to use the cliche a better version of the Phillies soon. Anybody Todd surprised you slow start wise? I mean, Harper's off to a slow start. What's your take on me?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Harper surprises me, just because it's Bryce Harper. You know, Bryson stops off to a slow start. He got off I think the last season he opened with like a sixteen game hitting streak. He's off to a slow start. Castianis, of course off to a slow start. It was interesting the last night I'm thinking about this because there is so much from fans anyway, not not panic, but just they can't hit. They can't hit, And I went on, I looked up some players last night to see how they compare to other players in the big leagues. Like Bryce Harper, for instance, he has a six seventy four OPS. Guys just below him right now, Nolan Aernato, George Springer, Corbyn Carroll, Alex Bregman, all having worst starts. In Bryce Harper, Bryce and Stotts six' ten, Ops Randy, Rose, Arena Xander, Bogart's Cody, Bellinger Paul goldschmidt all having worse. Starts nick castianos he was right at the. Bottom Julio rodriguez is off worst, Start Francisco lindor is off to a worst. Start SO i feel like Sometimes phillies fans certainly they look at everything as it relates to The phillies and don't necessarily realize that it's also going on. Elsewhere so don't hit that panic button. Yet But, ruben it's. Funny while you were talking about spring training at bats and you said sixty to, EIGHTY i looked it. Up your head might explode. Here but twenty Five bryce And scott led The phillies this spring at. Bats fifty five at, bats thank, you, Yes. Rojas at one POINT i thought he was going to finish with. Eighty he only finished with fifty. Three you, know every every other, regular every other everyday player for The phillies was had fewer than fifty at bats this. Spring not a, lot you, know not a lot a lot of those.
Speaker 3: Guys so the SO i think what you would hear from the hitting coach and From rob is, well they got a bunch of you, know played appearances and at bats in the minor.
Speaker 2: Leagues when they stayed, back they.
Speaker 3: Got you, know and they got it is not the.
Speaker 6: Same it's not the. Same there's no there's there is no. Motivation you're not it's you're just seeing.
Speaker 3: Pitches it's just, EYEWASH i, Believe AND i don't care if people get pissed off at me or.
Speaker 2: Not you have to play.
Speaker 4: Baseball to be ready to play baseball in no other, sport in no other. Sport can you practice and be able to translate practice into the.
Speaker 3: Game you have to play the games to. Develop that's why they have minor. Leagues that's why they.
Speaker 2: Play supposed to play a. Lot now that's another whole, story.
Speaker 3: RIGHT i don't understand how they're bringing guys to the major leagues after four hundred and seventy five played appearances in the minors and now they're coming to the big.
Speaker 2: Leagues they're extraordinary. ATHLETES i get. It it's. Wonderful they're way better athletes THAN i during my. ERA i totally get. It but you got to play the. Game you got to play the game to learn the.
Speaker 6: Game you got to play the game to experience all the things that have to be experienced in the.
Speaker 2: Game base running, situations the.
Speaker 6: Panic you feel when you're in the field and you got to turn a double play with man on first and third.
Speaker 2: And there's one.
Speaker 3: Out that doesn't happen unless you're playing in a, game.
Speaker 2: And an a, game a major league.
Speaker 1: Game in in.
Speaker 3: Terms of getting ready for a spring training major league, season you need you need to have those reps because you just can't cruise into. It, man it doesn't HAPPEN i don't care how many seasons you. PLAYED i don't care if you're a one year veteran or a thirty year. Veteran you have to play the games to get ready for the. Games it's not like riding a.
Speaker 2: Bike and it's a.
Speaker 7: Long long held. Truism there is no substitute for game, reps no. Substitute it comes down to me to the speed of. Everything everything's a little, quicker a little faster in a major league game, setting any, professional top level game, setting and the intensity is. Different AND i want to ask you. Both listening To Larry anderson post game yesterday on the, radio he was wondering where the intensity. Was not seeing enough? INTENSITY i, mean he played the game for a long, time very valid opinion in my, estimation you see it enough? Intensity or is? It sometimes when you're just not getting on, base you lack the. Energy when you're not, hitting you lack the. Energy it doesn't look like you're showing. Intense it's that age old, question what do you?
Speaker 1: Seeing? Tom, yeah you, KNOW i always go back To Charlie manuel had some of the best offenses in baseball when when he was the, manager AND i remember when they would go into. Ruts people would, Say, charlie your team looks, flat and he, goes there's nobody on. Base you know you're gonna be. Flat you know you're gonna look. Flat there's no action on the. Basis SO i never really know what to think about. THAT i do know that On friday, Night Bryce harper took his helmet and beat the snot out of the bullpen book that dugout and couldn't quite fit the helmet back into the bend it goes in because he was smashing it so hard in. There so that that's some, intensity that's some. Frustration but, YEAH i always think, like if you're not on the, basis how do you show? Energy you? Know and that's What charlie always. Said but you, Know, reuben you might you might see something different than than THAN i don't. SEE i, mean do you do you see intensity?
Speaker 2: THERE i, agree when you're not, HITTING i mean, it look you look.
Speaker 3: FLAT i, mean you don't have things going, on you don't stealing, bases you're not doing. THINGS i get. That that, said you've got a group of guys who've gone to the. Postseason they keep everybody keeps saying the same, thing including. Me ALL us pundits, saying you, know it's a great ball. Club it's a great ball. Club it's a great ball. Club it's a playoff, team it's a it's a. Contender it's a. Contender you keep, here so naturally you hear it in your. Ears as a, player you hear it in your, mind and there's some element of you, KNOW i don't think they're doing this, consciously Like i'm just Gonna we're just gonna toss the gloves out there and the bats and the balls and we'll be. Fine BUT i think that there's some human nature element of guys just going you, know we're everything's. Good we've heard this and it's probably. True everybody calm, Down we're gonna be. Fine we're going to get, better and it's probably. True but you just like to see that a, little you, know you like to see, them you, know being being fine, earlier.
Speaker 2: Be fine.
Speaker 3: Now AND i think that's part of what the fans are seeing and maybe what you're seeing right. Now these guys want to. Win believe, me they want to. Win this is a good group of. GUYS i really do like these guys and like the fact that they like each other and want to play with each, other but there is.
Speaker 2: Always some element of, like you, know we're gonna be.
Speaker 1: OKAY i.
Speaker 7: AGREE i think the track records and the talent on that, team they are gonna be. OKAY i think. PATIENTS i, MEAN i know people don't exactly like that, word especially In. PHILADELPHIA i think we have a REAL i think we view our, team our baseball team through sometimes a football, prism and that's, fine BUT i do think you know he Wants Once harper starts getting, going he's standing on second base pumping his, fist and his uniforms, dirty and his sweat and his hair is flying all over the, place And turn is running and getting, up that stuff will crackle right through the dugout and they'll get. GOING i think there's some frustration, early but certainly no. Panic no panic in these, quarters at least for.
Speaker 1: Me one, Guy jimmy mentioned slow, starts AND i forgot to mention. Him AND i think it's interesting because The phillies made a point to go out and get him his wit. Marorfield he's really, struggled and not only has he, struggled he has not been hitting the ball hard at. All and you know they signed him to a one, year eight million dollar deal because they wanted to provide some outfield, depth you, know they wanted to you, know maybe, Platoon Brandon marsha and left, field you, know Get Joan rojas off his, feet you, know and just not seeing really good at bats from, Him and to, me that's he's not key. Necessarily it's Like pastiano's or you, know the other everyday. Guys but, man you signed him to give us some quality of bats and help attudes some. Guys and you, Know i'm just that's that's another GUY i think worth. Watching just not hitting the ball ball hard at.
Speaker 7: All, yeah he hasn't gotten a ton of playing time, either but you know he's kind of that becomes a catch twenty. Two the way to get hot is see a bunch of pitches and hit the ball hard and have good at. Bats and you, know you need volume of at bats to get. Hot it's it's very hard to you, know be Dell unser and come off and square it up every time or come off the. Bench but you, know if if marsh keeps keeps swinging, it it's gonna become more of a.
Speaker 3: Conundrum, no, yeah, well and that will be that will bring up the question of what are you gonna do With Johann rojas if he continues to have like okay at.
Speaker 2: BATS i, mean it's nice to, contribute but you, know we talked about a lot is his.
Speaker 3: Aggressiveness he didn't look we all, aggressive and a lot of his swing still hitting the ball really. Softly you'll hit the ball hard a couple of, times but like the eggs of, velocity not.
Speaker 2: Great, NOW i go back to the thought process THAT i go back on.
Speaker 3: With, merrifield AND i thought it was a great signing, Also but the danger of that is, this and we lived.
Speaker 2: IT i lived it as A gm AND i lived at as an ASSISTANT.
Speaker 3: Gm you have an everyday player who is now longer of tooth and now he is relegated to a bench.
Speaker 2: Spot let me tell, you, boys it is a different world.
Speaker 3: Being off the bench and having a, rhythm As jim, said and being able to put together the at bats you want to put together when you're not GETTING i don't, know thirty at bats a week at least or. Forty he ain't getting him and he's not going to get. Him and the only way he's really going to get him if he starts getting, hot and Then rob's going to be forced to put him in, there and that's a difficult. Thing who is a player that we Signed Alex, gonzalez everyday. Player we decided to try to get him to third. Base he was playing shortstop every, DAY i think with The, cubs and.
Speaker 2: We get him to, play you, know every once in a while in a platoon.
Speaker 3: Situation was It Abraham, Noon, yes we were good at platune him WITH i can't.
Speaker 2: Remember the player to play every.
Speaker 3: Day and now he's playing third base but not playing every, day and he was.
Speaker 2: Terrible AND i Liked alex and he was a good, player but he couldn't do.
Speaker 6: It and some players can't do. It some players are used to, playing.
Speaker 3: You, know you got a routine playing every, day and if it and if they can do, it it does take them maybe a year or two to make that.
Speaker 2: Transition Matt.
Speaker 3: CARPENTER i think About Matt, carpenter everyday, player first, baseman an all, star could.
Speaker 2: Really rake and then things starts slowing up for. Him now he's in a you, know D h, slash you know. Whatever he's not the same.
Speaker 1: Player it's.
Speaker 3: Harder it's hard to have rhythm and to be that guy who can get off the. Bench lenny not not that Many Lenny harris is out there and can sit around and just you, know for nine innings and go out there and whack.
Speaker 2: One it just doesn't, happen and that transition may take some. TIME i think.
Speaker 3: He's athletic, enough good enough, player baseball, player all that, stuff that he will finally make the.
Speaker 2: Adjustment but it is an, adjustment AND.
Speaker 3: I think that that's something that he's you, know that The phillies are shorter than he is dealing.
Speaker 1: With we've talked a lot About, rojas And Kevin long said something On friday. AFTERNOON i was chatting with him about the slow start and the same. Thing he's, Like we're gonna be. Fine haven't hit in the best. Weather it's gonna get it. Going BUT i asked him specifically About, rojas since we've talked so much about, him and he, SAID i, said how's his? Mindset his mindset finds that houses. Mechanics he, Goes i'm not talking about his mechanics, anymore and he's not talking about his mechanics. Anymore we want him just to go out there and. Compete he says he's been tentative on the basis he's been tentative on the field in the, outfield and he's been tentative at the. Plate so now it's no more mechanics. Time it is now compete. Time so kind of and which is like dead on what you guys. SAID i think the last time we talked about, him you got to go into that batter's box is trying to, compete and they're at that point With Johann. Rojas we'll see if he can eventually get it.
Speaker 7: Going that's been a consistent theme here on The Todd. Pod don't, overthink want, React AND i, mean you, know look at athletes these. Days you, know look at.
Speaker 2: An old team.
Speaker 7: Picture he used to be like three, coaches four, coaches not even a dozen or, So and in every sports it's. Hard you wonder if these guys are getting over engineered and and just not. Reacting so it is you, know Maybe rojas just by, reacting we'll play.
Speaker 1: Better.
Speaker 2: YEAH i just think that there's too much.
Speaker 6: Information there's too, much, right too much information is a hard enough. Game sometimes you just it's great to have some, information BUT i think they're.
Speaker 2: Just being fed different types of. INFORMATION i think this is a global with. Baseball this is a global. Thing.
Speaker 3: Man there's there's people who are have you've, been have been employed to do certain things in the game that we're never necessary before. Ever and NOW i think that they think that the athletes are so much better and the game's being played in such a different way that you need all this other. Stuff, well guess, what at the end of the, day you got to see. It you got to hit it when they hit the ball to, you you got to catch. It when you catch, it you got to throw.
Speaker 1: It when you're on the.
Speaker 2: Mound you got to pitch it to a. Spot it's really pretty.
Speaker 3: Sick there's a lot more going on with your body and your mechanics and your biomechanics.
Speaker 2: And all the other.
Speaker 3: Stuff but at the end of the, day it's still a game of, baseball and it can't be played in a robotic fashion or you get you're not going to get. Baseball you're not going to get the athleticism.
Speaker 2: That these young men now. Have and that's what you. Want that's what you. Want you want to see their athleticism.
Speaker 7: Play one thing that is not over engineered is this. Podcast todd's microphone broke minute before we were going to, start and and he's he's a gamer. Man he's carrying.
Speaker 3: On not only, that But jim has now embarrassed me into getting everybody new. Equipment so that's What i'm going to have to do because he Thinks i'm.
Speaker 1: A, bazillionaire which is of, course is a. Lie But i'll.
Speaker 2: Tie you, up you, know you poor. Babies i'll tell.
Speaker 1: You mine should still be under. WARRANTY i Just boughton sent.
Speaker 2: Me just send me your text you, know text me your addresses.
Speaker 3: And i'll have you, know some some entity sent to you sometime.
Speaker 7: Soon so, today today Is April fifteenth's a great day in the baseball. Calendar It's Jackie Robinson. Day and you, KNOW i was blessed with a dad who loved. Baseball and you, know not only did he get out in the yard and coach all that. Stuff if you told me about baseball history and how Important Jackie robinson was, SUGGESTED i think WHEN i was in like fourth, GRADE i do a book report on. Him And i've always had great appreciation For Jackie. Robinson what does it mean to, You Todd Jackie robinson?
Speaker 1: Day? Boy you, know, WELL i WoT want to say this About Jackie, robinsonday BECAUSE i was just thinking about. This i'm covering an event today At Citizens Bank. Park they are and are you a part of? This this event? Today it's he And. Pinstripes they're doing a very cool display at the. BALLPARK i believe it's on in The hall Of fame, level some. Photos just an honoring of The African american players that kind of paved the way in, color all, players all players of, color including your, Dad John, kennedy the First phillies. Player he will be have a permanent place now A Citizen Bank, Park and you, know it's just cool to see. THAT i think The phillies do a really good job recognizing their. History that was one thing they had not necessarily recognized up until this. Point, RUBIN i, mean can you tell me a little bit more about it prep me for my What i'm going to walk into.
Speaker 2: Today, yeah, Well i'm gonna chat a little bit about.
Speaker 3: It and it's an honor to have been asked by The phillies to talk a little bit about it at some.
Speaker 1: Point there's a whole lineup of folks THAT.
Speaker 3: I think whose families and members of their families will talk about.
Speaker 1: THEM i don't know all the, name SO i don't have him in front of.
Speaker 2: ME i probably.
Speaker 1: Should that, said me and my brother will be there sort of representing my.
Speaker 2: Father my Brother, david and you, know it's it is a big.
Speaker 3: Deal it did take The phillies a long, time last team to have someone of color basically in the NATIONALLY i don't know if it was The National league Or National league to have someone of color play for, them and so that's not. Great but that, said it, happened and it was a long time, ago but there was an influx of particularly of The Latin american.
Speaker 2: Players you start thinking about some of the players that came and. Played Cookie rojas Was.
Speaker 3: Cuban you Had Tony, taylor you had my Dad mexican And cuban you Had.
Speaker 1: I'm Sure Tony.
Speaker 3: Gonzalez Tony gonzalez was a player during the. Sixties it was big.
Speaker 2: POWER i think it was a big. POWER i think was was He Puerto? RICAN i think he. WAS i don't have all the. HISTORY i WISH i knew more of, it but it does mean a.
Speaker 3: Lot and, UH i, MEAN i have tons of stories about the fact that it was tough for. People it was tough for my dad in the minor leagues when he signed with The Saint Louis cardinals before he was traded.
Speaker 1: Over to The.
Speaker 2: Phillies. Uh he had a tough go.
Speaker 3: Man he played in The Dixie, league played In texas Leg he played in a bunch of leagues that he couldn't eat in the same places as his white. Counterparts he could not stay in the same. Hotels not good, man and he had to endure some.
Speaker 1: Stuff what did he ever in the big? Leagues did he early on when he made the big?
Speaker 2: Leagues just in, uh just in spring.
Speaker 3: Training in spring, training there was an issue WHERE i think it Was Fort Harrison hotel where The phillies could not Did they would not house people of, color and The phillies basically had to stay well out In, tampa so they had a. Disperse it's kind of, shitty but that's. Life that's how it was. Then now The Fort harrison is run by the by the.
Speaker 2: Scientologists so is it all that?
Speaker 8: Different uh uh we, digress BUT i will say that.
Speaker 2: That it's meaningful for me and my.
Speaker 3: FAMILY i take a lot of pride in the fact that my dad was a man and a player of, color and, uh it's it's an awesome thing to at least be honored and at least have the a little bit of the stories.
Speaker 7: Told, yeah well WE i was lucky enough to know your. Dad AND i mean a great, man a great baseball. Man And i'm JUST i Think Jackie Robinson day is one of the best THINGS mlb has ever done because his his impact really transcends. Baseball and, uh if you watch some of the documentary and just an amazing, man and it'll be good to see all those forty two's out.
Speaker 6: There it's.
Speaker 7: FUNNY i always WHEN i see forty, two like on a hockey player or another, SPORT i always kind of wonder if he selected that number out of respect For Jackie. Robinson so it's it's it's just a really special day on the baseball. CALENDAR i CAN i remember remember the year The expos played down In Puerto. Rico they played like three or four series down In Puerto. RICO i went down to one of, them and the there was like a, clinic baseball clinic run by the sons Of Roberto. Clement, yes, yes sons of The Alamar boys were there And Sharon robinson was, there AND i remember speaking with her and just, Thinking, wow this is really. Cool As Roberto clent's, Boys i'm talking To Sharon. Robinson it was, like if you appreciate baseball history and you know history in, general it was really.
Speaker 2: SPECIAL i, mean think about What Jackie robinson had to, endure. MAN i, mean.
Speaker 3: You, know people talk about What Hank aaron had to go through when he was getting to seven point. FIFTEEN i, mean think about What Jackie robinson had to deal.
Speaker 1: WITH i, mean he had a whole world on top of his.
Speaker 2: Shoulders it's.
Speaker 7: Incredible and that's if you ever visit The Negro League museum In Kansas, city WHICH i. Have in, FACT i went With andrew McCutcheon and wrote a story about. It it was one of the thrills of my career going. There but the gentleman who runs The Negro League's museum is a guy Named Bob, kendrick and he gives a great tour of the place and he talks about Why Jackie robinson, was you, know the guy That Branch tricky wanted and had so much to do with his life experience and his character and the fact that, yes it was going to be a weight on. Him but this was the guy that could handle. IT i would recommend that visit to.
Speaker 3: Anyone and and there was Some jackie was a really really great, player but not the best.
Speaker 2: Black player there was and. Thereat BUT i think that that you're.
Speaker 3: RIGHT i think that he had the mental makeup to be able to handle the pressures of being the.
Speaker 7: Guy he was a little bit, older and and he was the guy That Bran tricky, tabbed and you, know Thank god for, him no.
Speaker 1: Doubt, well, guys let's look ahead real quick before we get out of.
Speaker 3: Here, hey CAN i say one thing About andrew school is at About andrew hitting at the three hundred uniform in a well in A pirates uniform at The phillies.
Speaker 7: Awesome he was a uh you, know when you cover baseball and you know you got a lot of, guys there are certain guys when you look back at your, career or even you look back at a, season you, say you, KNOW i was really lucky to get to know that guy and cover that. Guy you know me guys like. It But andrew McCutcheon is definitely one of those guys that MAKES i would bet makes every baseball writers, list just a quality human, being a good, guy, accountable good. PLAYER i love watching the way he gets that bad head out when he gets a hanger.
Speaker 1: Boom he knows how to use that bad. Head. Still he's one of those guys when you see him walk through the, clubhouse there's a presence about, him, RIGHT i, mean just he carries handsome gravitas about him when you see him in the, field in the, dugout in the. Clubhouse so The, Phillies, Philly Philly's, uh this isn't great opportunity for The. Phillies we've talked a lot about slow starts and easing getting getting things. Rolling, man this is the week to get things. Rolling And, RUBEN i know you've said. IT a lot of people say. It anybody that puts on a big league uniform is a big. Leader AND i totally understand what you mean by. That these are two, teams The phillies opening a three game series tonight against The. Rockies they played The White sox over the weekend three game. Series rockies third worst run differential in, Baseball White sox worst run differential in. Baseball both teams have been getting pounded all season. Long this is this is this is a. Week this is the week for them for them to get. Rolling do you not?
Speaker 3: AGREE i think it's a. DISASTER i will say. THIS i think it's a disaster if they don't win four games out of the, sixth simple.
Speaker 1: Agree so a disaster in the third week Of.
Speaker 3: April not, disaster but it would be a gross underachievement to not beat for before out of.
Speaker 2: SIX i, mean you got to clean up on. This you got to play better.
Speaker 3: Baseball AND i know baseball, baseball but you got to take one game at a. Time as you, Know, todd you know you can tell you drop all of the cliches you. Want but talent, wise there's no contest here and it needs to be and it needs to be. Enforced they need to enforce their greatness on these two, teams.
Speaker 7: But even more, so even more so than the opponent and cleaning up on the opponent and making Hay on a bad. Opponent phillies need to catch the ball. Better phillies need to run the bases. Better offense needs to thaw. Out they need to Get Zach wheeler some. Support there's things that they can take care of that are just specific to The. Phillies you, know kind of clean up your own shop before you worry about taking it out on somebody. ELSE i, mean there's regardless of the, opponent there's there's areas they need to get, better but, hey the fact of the matter is they're playing two week. Teams just be careful With.
Speaker 2: Charlie Charlie.
Speaker 7: Blackman it seems like every time he comes To Citizens Bank park he breaks three chairs in right.
Speaker 2: Field he's a good. Player he's been a good player for a long.
Speaker 3: TIME i know he's getting older and but but he can still do some damage.
Speaker 2: Outside everybody, says, well you can't hit other Than.
Speaker 1: Colorado that's not.
Speaker 2: True it's.
Speaker 9: Here the other guy you gotta be, scared you gotta be leary of is a kid Named Nolan, jones A philadelphia product from From Holy Ghost PREP hgp and from The Philly bandits wonderful, kid tremendous athlete who had a phenomenal year last.
Speaker 2: YEAR i mean he was fifth In rookie of The, year third or something crazy number and he only played what three quarters of the season or two thirds of the. Season this kid can do some things, now and he'll be in his. Hometown he'll have four hundred thousand. Tickets but he's a good. Player. Man you got to hold him down. Too he's not he's struggle a little. Bit he's in like two hundred right, now but they got to hold him down.
Speaker 7: Too just a phenomenal baseball. Name Nolan jones is a baseball, name or.
Speaker 3: Try and you talk about being a, wonderful humble. KID i just digress a little bit on this. Kid he is a spectacular. Kid and if you stand next to, him you, go oh my. God he's the largest human Being i've ever.
Speaker 1: Seen he's six,' five he's all, of it.
Speaker 3: With a, beautiful swing, runs well plays well, in defense, good player and is.
Speaker 7: His brother like a, hockey goalie a professional hockey goalie is the annual.
Speaker 1: Hockey reference i'm.
Speaker 2: Not sure don't.
Speaker 1: QUOTE me i thought. HE was i think you just want him to be a, WELL guys i. Appreciate it thank you. So much thanks to everybody. For, listening listen we're gonna get this audio Fixed that ruben has promised this, very expensive, high performance VERY high i mean we're gonna, be like you're gonna feel like we're in the living room, with you in the car with you. Next time so thanks everybody for listening and Watching The Philly Show. Hockey later Smell your smell, You, Later ruben, smell you