Speaker 1: Welcome into Ravens Press Pass. Today we'll hear from head coach John Harball during his Monday press conference following the Ravens twenty seven to twenty four victory or the Cincinnati Bengals.
Speaker 2: Here's Harps.
Speaker 3: Okay, good to see everybody, appreciate you coming out a lot of great things this weekend. One of the things happened today was community relations. Had some service events around town for kids and for young women that were great. I know because my wife is a part of it and I was just talking to her about it. So had tons of volunteers from the Ravens players, significant others, moms, family members. So it's just neat to see that in the community and really proud of that. Also proud of the victory yesterday, obviously, that was another thing to be proud of. So happy with the way we played. Go back and study the tape. A lot of great things, so many great things that led to a victory in a hostile environment against the division rival, a very good football team. But also things that we can work on. So many things that we can get better at and work on that we'll go to work on this week to try to get pointed toward next week, which will be a bigger challenge because as you go along in the season, everybody gets better, so you've got to keep getting better just to stay the same, and then you've got to outpace your opponents in terms of improvement. So that's what we'll be working on doing this week. What question do you have, John?
Speaker 4: I think after gave a little bit about the offensive line, why do you think we were so effective up front?
Speaker 2: And what led to a little while Morgan Moses being that left art to what Morgan Moses I think was that court wasn't he for bringing Harrietta?
Speaker 3: Well, we had different formations, unbalanced formations that that we were in. So as one of our formations, you know, the guys were in different spots. You saw Daniel Fileley got out there for a little bit, so those are all good things. Daniels at tight end at one point did real nice job. So yeah, that's just part of it formationally, you know, because a lot of people thinking okay, two star is not going to be part of the audits line, why do you think that group was was so effective? I do think the guys played well, you know, and we'd we'd you know, they people concerned about stuff, and I understand it. And but we've kind of maintained all one that those guys would come in and play well, and they did so. Sam Mustfard deserves you know a lot of credit, a ton of credit. Played so well and uh just really just kept it going, you know, and at a high level. Obviously, Pat you know, he's done that so many times before, so nobody should be surprised by that. H So that's that's what those guys did. And then Morgan really had a good game. I think he really had one of his best games. You know, he really had some big blocks for us. Kevin's was his usual uh, you know, excellent playing self. So just just really John Simpson had had a great game, a great weekend. I don't know if he made the announcement yet, but he had a real positive family thing. Did he make his announcement, I didn't. I don't wanna speak for him or his family. You know, it's out okay good. So he had a baby, he had his his wife had a baby there first, their son seven pounds nine ounces, and uh he uh I it was just really wonderful. So, uh, his his son got a game ball on the plane after the game, so he how I'm gonna carry?
Speaker 2: Was there talk this summer about him getting involved in that left guard job of competition?
Speaker 4: Or do you tell him or you talk to him and say we love you because in your ability to play everywhere, but that could also mean you don't play anywhere if everybody else is healthy.
Speaker 3: And how how did that come about with him this summer?
Speaker 2: I know you've talked to him about him before and the events just kind of feeling what would you say about him this time around?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, yeah, well you know that you know the history of it. So it's a very good question. That's exactly. It's you know, it's kind of conversation we've had with Pat and in terms of his versatility, probably greatest blessing and probably for him somewhat of a curse, you know, but but it ends up being the right thing because he goes in there and does so well, and the idea being that he could have he could have played been the starting left guard for sure, and that was kind of the plan if if, if, if nobody stepped up, but you know, John stepped up in a big way, so that that was good for us because now it allows us to have Pat you know, he backs up really both tackle spots. Of course Daniel does is the next backup, and then he can also be your center if you needed to do that and didn't get as many reps in training camp at center, so you know that was something that he would you know, we were working on that now in just in case. She always working on all the just in cases. But Sam gave us a backup center, So that just really helped us in this game a lot. That whole scenario.
Speaker 4: You look at the committee you guys made to the wide receiver room this all season was yesterday kind of the vision you had not just with the balance production across the board, but even sustaining an drink to one of your star wars and still being able to put somebody else in there that can actually you know, do a lot doing a wholestle game.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, for sure. I mean I think that's kind of the first the opening salvo, so to speak. You know, you hope, and that's that's where we want to keep building in terms of just the depth of those guys. I mean to see Nelson come in and make those plays you talk about clutch plays in the game clutch first downs and conversions. Boy he he made him the touchdown. All those guys just played so well. You know, Rashan Bateman didn't have a ton of catches, but he played well. Ran Routes moved around different spots to your point. After you know, we went down, you know our guy, and and then you know, of course a duke came in and did really well. I had some good runs and almost made a great catch in that third down play. So yeah, I think that's a big part of who we are is at that wide receiver depth. Did you get an explanation on the products that you'd be picked up and from watching it on tape, I mean, did you feel like that of the Palalt teachers said there. No, that we got an explanation was that it was a it was a low block, which is illegal by them, but he got pushed into it by one of our guys, and it was on tape a good it was the right thing. They they correctly ruled that. So that was on us all the way. We made numerous mistakes and that was really poor coverage, you know, on our parts. So we it's about us, and we were we were to blame, you know, so we've got to do better with that. Can you talk about.
Speaker 2: You know, often we've seen Lamar come to you on unfour down situations wanting to keep the offense on the fuel.
Speaker 5: We saw Mark Andrews is so in this game that you've removed.
Speaker 4: The offense and put the special teams in and.
Speaker 3: You came the field.
Speaker 1: Can you talk about where you have to make those decisions and what leads you to your decision.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, uh, I didn't see Mark. I don't know what what you know what we're talking about there. I was down at the end by the twenty five yard line. So but I'm sure you know, the guys, the offensive guys always want to go for it. You know they should. I mean, they have confidence, they want to go make those plays. You know. That's what I love about our guys. And my job is to make the decision, you know, in terms of what's best for the team at the time, what's the best chance. And I always go by what's our best chance to you know, whether to get it or to get the points. You know, it boils down to what's our best chance to get the most points. And sometimes you take a chance, you know, we kick the field goal from fifty nine yards. Who does that? You know, very few teams do that, and it's a chance you take a shot, and it's a risk because you give them an opportunity to get the ball midfield, which is what ended up happening. Our defense stepped up, thankfully, and so you factor in your defense. I mean, I have confidence in our defense to get to stop. Also have confidence and talk to be probably fifty to fifty plus on that. In my mind at fifty nine yards, you know, I'm thinking he's gonna he's gonna have a shot to make that, a real good shot to make it, and those points were going to be a premium. So we went forward tore That was an aggressive move and it didn't work out, but our defense, you know, had our back. So that's kind of all those decisions to me that the points there were important. I mean it was fourth and three and we we wanted those points, you know, at that point in time and you and you and you know Tuck's have a great chance to make that kick. So that's what we did. John, I know you're optimistic yesterday with any anything further on O way or Yeah, We've got a lot more information I'm just gonna keep that close to the vest though. You know, right now, if there's any if I can tell you this, if there's any long term issue, you know, we'll let you know what it is. If it's gonna be something where it's gonna be anything like any kind of an ir thing or anything like that. But we're not there yet with anybody. Uh, And when we get there, we'll let you know. There's no way out.
Speaker 5: How pleased were you with Al Clowney and the job?
Speaker 4: Probably you didn't have.
Speaker 5: A ton of defensive places.
Speaker 3: Sure, Yeah, those guys really played well. I mean, I mean h J. D. Clowney man, Wow, he played great. He was he was he was disruptive. He was a wrecking ball in there. And then a job to a Jaba playing a really solid, sound, physical game. You know, ran to the ball, was really good. Set in the edge, he had good help get pet pressure, you know, good bul rushes and was around the quarterback. So he's he's just kind of getting better every week. And the Hofey was playing good, but he had he had a you know, he had the ankle spraying, so that was kind of tough. But that's where we're at.
Speaker 2: So you talking about this last night, but just efficiency of mar which way operated, things seemed to flow smoother out of the hollow, faster players, et cetera.
Speaker 3: How much of the point of that is was.
Speaker 2: That one of the things you guys did you to go from week one to that?
Speaker 3: Sure, Brian, I mean, yeah, the operation we call it, you know, I guess that's an appropriate term. But it goes from the press box, through the sideline to Lamar, through the whole offense, and back again to Lamar. You know, there's there's there's a lot of moving parts with that, and it's really about communication, you know, and doing it efficiently. And we work on that really hard from day one of OTAs because that's everything is based on that. And we were kind of disappointed and how it went the first week, but it was the first week, and so it was Yeah, to your point, it was a big point of emphasis. Last weekend it was much improved. And on the road with all the crowd noise and silent we had silent count too. So I was really just happy and proud of those guys. You know, Todd was real happy with those guys. And yet, like Todd said this morning, we still can get a lot better at that. You know, it's something we'll keep working on to try and improve, because you have to be really everything is based on that.
Speaker 5: La Markley, it is most snaps from under center. I think of his career in a single game. You just talked about the advancements that he's made under center.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, yeah, Well we haven't done it a lot, you know, but he's always been good at it. He's never been a problem with him under center. I think it's something he does really well. And it was going into the season. We've talked about that before. It was it was part of the plan to be under there more and and you know, you see it happening now. So as long as it's successful, I'm sure we'll keep doing it. And I think it creates a lot of problems. I mean, people have to defend us that way, and all the formations and all the all the play actions that come off of that. The run game, they have to defend us in the pistol like always, and now the gun stuff is has become a bigger part of what we're doing than ever too. So those are really all make us more diverse.
Speaker 2: Let me talk about the secondary more specifically, your cornerbacks.
Speaker 1: They had a tough assignment this weekend and came away was successfully.
Speaker 3: He really did as Really you got to be proud of those guys. I think every Ravens fan should be really happy with the way the corners played. I mean, you're going against arguably the most talented receiver group in the league with you know, a great quarterback, so a proven quarterback, the highest bid quarterback in the league. You know, he's he's been doing it the last couple of years. And I know he's got the calf and all that, but but you know, he's still throwing that ball and playing really well, and he's gonna have They're gonna they're not going anywhere, promise you that. So we just, uh but we didn't. You know, we didn't back off. We didn't. We played our game. We were pressed, we played press man, we played zone, press zone, we played cloud zone, We bailed, we were played off at times, we played zero. We played everything we play, you know, and those guys playerftely well. And really I don't think they had any long passes, you know, over fifteen or so yards completed, you know air yards, and that's that's really incredible. So We'll take that all the time, you know, from those guys, and this week's a new challenge and we'll keep getting healthy back there and keep building on that. But I think we're really building some depth in there. To that point.
Speaker 5: The rally on tackling is so important against the Bengals because the run us or catchability. Just what are you seeing from your teams team in terms of the tackling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're tackling really well. I mean, they stress you big time with the RPO game. So you know, they had some long drives out there where we basically didn't get off the field. That's that's something we really have to work on. Because they were in third and five or less pretty much the whole game ten out of five. They were ten out of fifteen third down. That's that's an area that we have to improve. And it really it's because they were in third manageable because they did so well on first down. You know, they when when when the box was lighter, they were handed off and they were bleeding out you know, four or five yards, and when when we got a little more stacked, they threw the screen out there and they execute the screen so well, so fast. Uh, they get up field so quick. With those guys, it's one thing, like you say, they're great at and uh you know we we we're really good at defending it. But they led us for some yards there and they got themselves in third manageable and then they were able to convert. Uh So that's something that we've got to continue to work on. John.
Speaker 5: Not to go.
Speaker 4: Back to the injuries, but I know Marcus Williams you were saying he would have to make a decision soon. Does that the process you guys are still trying to figure out right now?
Speaker 3: Right Marcus is not getting the surgery. Uh so he's just rehabbing right now to get himself back on the field. These were I mean kind of ball. I mean, if there's a sort of a vague time frame right now. So, but I just don't want to put it out there and then everybody be mad at me later. Are he's not going to go on? Ir right? Thanks for asking, definitely time to express that. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Else, did you take a chance to celebrate the Ools playoff for any any time to kind of celebrate as well?
Speaker 3: Well? Yeah, it was all one big celebration. You know, it was all great. But I love the Oils. Yeah, I love those guys. I love I love I love I love Coach Hyde, you know, the manager, he's I think he's a great leader. And uh, I just love the way that team plays. I just I see I see a lot of us and them and them and us. Man. They they're gritty. They're gritty and they're tough and they fight and uh yeah, I love them. Congratulate ools. That's that's just the beginning. You know, they're they'll they'll be ready, they'll be read to roll. I'm sure this situation with their quarterback kind of I guess he started the week in protocol.
Speaker 5: Does that complicate preparations for this team or you.
Speaker 3: Get enough of seeing the other guy and what they ran with the other guy to kind of get a good idea the differences of the kind of the two attacks with different quarterbacks. Yeah, the problem is gonna be the reps. You know, they're they're they're they both do a lot of the same things in the system and coach stich And brought the system from a Philly and uh, you know, we kind of understand that system. You know, we've had a lot of that system in our in our system as well. Over the years. But uh, different quarterbacks for sure, you know, and uh, Richardson has been has been, he has been. Man, he's been tough to defend the last couple of weeks the minshew you know, you know how he is. I mean, he can get hot and he's he's a very dynamic player. So but they're just a little bit different in what plays they run specifically. So we'll just have to get a feel for that as we goes on, and really we'll have to prepare for both.
Speaker 2: Pologize, but I think it's the fastest and Morris got him rid of the balls as a drawback passer.
Speaker 3: I know some of that is attributable to the game screams that you've thrown, but does it does it kind of nasty?
Speaker 2: I tess with what you're seeing with him just being able to, you know, get the time of his job and get rid of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean he's doing a really good job of seeing the field and is pretty much reflective of the offense. I think, you know, that's what he's being asked to do now and he's you know, he's doing it really well. So there's times when he holds it more. We're pushing the ball downfield and all that, and other times more often you know, the ball's coming out on time and in rhythm, and he's doing a great job with it, and I know he's just gonna keep building on that.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening. Make sure that you're subscribed, leave a rating and review, and go check out the lounge where me, Ry Mink and Garrett Downing give our reaction to the Ravens big win in Cincinnati. Thanks for listening, and we'll be back on Wednesday with player press Compasses