Speaker 1: If you're listening to the Miami Dolphins podcast Network, this is Drive Time with Travis Wingfield.
Speaker 2: Back to throw to a looking clips about.
Speaker 3: The wide Dolphin touchdown trick call unclievable, just blue.
Speaker 4: Fire for a second time.
Speaker 1: Don knew where he was going right away.
Speaker 2: I want to hit that man. I'm going to help you.
Speaker 5: Someone step on his man away wattle, wadle to a shotguns, back to throw, looking at them.
Speaker 3: Up myers touchdop, It's waddle, It's six touchdown Parado.
Speaker 6: I'm the team.
Speaker 3: Drive Time with Travis Wingfield begins.
Speaker 2: Now we check your pulse if you're not.
Speaker 1: What is up?
Speaker 5: Dolphins? And welcome to the Draft Time podcast, part of the Miami Dolphins podcast network, covering your team, your Miami Dolphins.
Speaker 4: How's it going everybody?
Speaker 5: I am your host, Travis Wingfield, And on today's show, your initial fifty three man roster emphasis on initial. We'll do a recap of how the roster stands today with all the flurry of moves, including two trades. We'll also hear from head coach Mike McDaniel, safety to Shaun Elliott, defensive lineman Christian Wilkins, and Zach Seeler as well as wide receiver Jalen Waddle. All of that and more from the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex. This is the Draft Time podcast Maye Gaff two trades, maybe not the one you were expecting today, but we do see Dan shipped off to the Chicago Bears in exchange for a sixth round draft pick. The Dolphins also trade Noah Igbinoghni, former first round draft pick here in Miami, to the Dallas Cowboys in exchange for fellow twenty twenty draft pick in the second round of the Dallas Cowboys, Kelvin Sheppard of Kentucky and LSU in college. We'll talk about his game a little bit more in just a moment, but it is the worst day in the National Football League, at least today, and the day that you are eliminated from contention, be at the Super Bowl or Thanksgiving for a struggling team, whatever it might be. Cutting down this many guys is just well, it just sucks. And I want to play some sound here from coach from earlier today when he talked to the media about how difficult the processes of going from ninety guys down to fifty three.
Speaker 3: No, when it's appropriate. I think it does come up for sure, just because you know that they get, you know, beat over the head with adversity as an opportunity. And that's where it comes from from for me is living experience of those things and just you know, I don't I think to be an effective coach, you you have to embark on each individual's player's journey. And when you do that, it's very easy to understand. You know, the first time that I ever got let go with the Houston Texans. Okay, viscerally, I'll never forget. There's the first time. Apparently that was an impressive answer. We just had to walk out. I'll vis really never forget, like I'd been on a team my whole life and then I remember walking out of Reliance Stadium and like, wow, who am I?
Speaker 2: And that identity. Although you know, a.
Speaker 3: Player's experience is different than a coach is, I think that there's a commonality in that, which is why it's you know, very emotional and very very difficult for me in the in these times, is because I know exactly what that is. And you wake up, I mean, you were embarking on an invested journey that your mind is goal oriented to be on the fifty three for the Miami Dolphins and then boom.
Speaker 2: Now what, I don't wish that on anybody.
Speaker 3: It's as uncharted territory is like one of the the unknown is like one of the greatest sources of stress, like at science, like it's been studied, and it is a a feeling that I don't wish on anyone. However, I do feel like there's certain times that it's very very appropriate to share that with with guys, because you know, you can see it on people's faces when I you know, I didn't even see this coming or what do I do now, and that that it's brutal, so it comes up.
Speaker 2: I think that's an important part.
Speaker 3: It's not about living exactly in someone's shoes. It's being able to connect shared or experiences that might render residual feelings that are similar. So again I it, I mean it, this is this is brutal. There's more deserving. There's more than fifty three deserving people to be on this football team, but there's only fifty three spots and and uh, you know, IM pressed upon the locker room today like part of your grieving of your of your brethren that isn't here is doing right.
Speaker 5: By now the process this say, let's go ahead and list off your initial fifty three man roster. Of course you're going to get changes over the next couple of days, as of course, some of these guys go on injured reserve. Some of these guys will be signed back to the roster. There's just all kinds of activity that happens here, not just for your Miami Dolphins, but the entire NFL. The roster as it stands right now as of this podcast though. Three quarterbacks to a tongue of Bay Loa, Mike White, Skylar Thompson. No surprises there obviously running back position, there are six of them. That's kind of a surprise. Plenty of backs on the roster. Jeff Wilson, Savon Akmeb Devon, h Raheem Moster, Chris Brooks, the UDFA out of BYU sticks on the roster, and of course fullback alec Ingold. Only Miles Gaskin no longer with us here after today. What a great preseason he had, What a good run he out to Miami Dolphins. Miles Gaskin the class act all the way. Good to see him, hopefully laying on his feet somewhere. Wide receivers six of them, Braxon Burrios, Tyreek Hill, Cedric Wilson Junior, who restructured his contract for a pay cut. It's going to be a benefit to the Dolphins salary cap seventeen, Jalen Waddle, Eric Azukama, and River Craykraft Goo Koog's.
Speaker 4: No surprises there.
Speaker 5: I think that Chosen was one of these guys we were talking about potentially sticking on the roster. I talked about it on the podcast frequently. I thought this team had seven NFL wide receivers and Chosen is the one on the outside for now. Tight end position two of them Durham Smyth and Julian Hill. That's obviously a surprise. You're not going to go into the here with just two tight ends. Julian Hill makes the roster as a UDFA from Campbell the Fighting Campbell's it's pretty great mascot and team name.
Speaker 4: But I think we'll probably see some activity there as well.
Speaker 5: Was pretty surprised no Tanner Connor after the week he had. I thought he was gonna stick here despite just one week of work back in his second season. Offensive line ten guys here Connor Williams, Robert Jones, who will see what his availability is going forward, but we saw he had that injury back.
Speaker 4: In the Houston game.
Speaker 5: Lester Cotton with the good preseason sticks on the roster, Robert Hunt, Kendall Lamb, Keon Smith I think made the biggest jump from last season to this year in terms of his development.
Speaker 4: We'll talk more about that in a moment to Ron.
Speaker 5: Armstead obviously, Austin Jackson, Liam Eichenberg, and Isaiah Wain for your ten offensive lineman on the defensive side for interior down lineman. Big surprise here to me was Deshan Hand being released, but again activity.
Speaker 4: Happens over the next couple of days.
Speaker 5: So you get Zach Steeler, Christian Wilkins, Brandon Peeley, and ray Kwan Davis. We'll talk about Zach Sio's contract extension and here from he Christian Wilkins, Mike McDaniel, and Deshaun Elliott. In just a moment off the edge, Bradley Chubb, Jalen Phillips, Andrew Van Ginkel and Emmanuel Ogbaugh. Think the surprise there is Malik Reid, but again keep your peel from the next couple of days there off ball linebackers four of them Channing Tyndall, Duke Riley, David Long Junior, and Jerome Baker. Think that was pretty obvious from the first day of training camp till now. And that's your four linebackers with Andrew Van kickle Cross training six cornerbacks. We talked about the addition of Kelvin Joseph. We'll break down his game here in a moment, Cater Kohu, Jalen Ramsey, who of course will have to flip over to ird start.
Speaker 4: Of the season.
Speaker 5: Cam Smith, Xavien Howard, and Eli Apple round out your cornerback room.
Speaker 4: Thought maybe Justin Bethel might have a chance.
Speaker 5: Noah Ignog gonna get shipped out to Dallas as well, So a couple of moves and changes there at the last minute at the safety position. Five of them Javon Holland, Deshaun Elliott, Elijah Campbell.
Speaker 4: I hope that we get a chance to see him this year. He was out there.
Speaker 5: Getting some work on the bike at practice as he recovers from that injury he suffered in Jacksonville. Brandon Jones and Veron McKinley round out your defense there and then the three specialists no surprises here, Blake Ferguson, Jake Bailey, and Jason Sanders, with Nick Needham going to the physically unable to perform list. On cross and Eric Sobert were both put on injury reserve ahead of the seasons Lebel missed the entire year. Let's go ahead and hear from coach McDaniel on that decision and how that kind of process works.
Speaker 4: Things have changed the last couple of years.
Speaker 5: I feel like the NFL really did a good job of looking at their rules and practices and procedures and putting some changes in place to antiquated ways of doing things. And one of those big changes was just how the injury reserve works and bringing guys back. But there's all kinds of different language that makes things pretty confusing, and, to be perfectly frank to someone who studies this stuff like full time, even confuses me sometimes. So here's coach talking about the decision to put Sobert and Crossing on injured reserve and some of the decisions that have to be made this week with regards to guys boomeranging back on designation to return off IR.
Speaker 3: I figure out as as the week progresses because of the multiple implications within the roster, but it was in both of those players' interest with regards to their injury to go ahead and do that which you know, the later in the week, I think it's Wednesday night or Thursday, we settle the designated for return players with the accompanied movements.
Speaker 5: And also in the roster run down there I mentioned a couple of those position groups were pretty short of the requisite number of players. Two tight ends and really only three active safeties. It was kind of funny to watch them work today in their position groups because it was just so like compared to.
Speaker 4: What we're used to. Here's coach.
Speaker 5: He was asked about adding numbers at the safety position, but really the answer covered more than just that group.
Speaker 4: Here's Mike McDaniel.
Speaker 3: I think it would be safe to say that you don't feel completely safe with two little safeties. Okay, there, I would anticipate something. You know that there's there's a lot of ways now that your your roster can be.
Speaker 2: Set up with regard to.
Speaker 3: The you know, since COVID year, the sixteen player practice squad and the flexibility and things of that nature. So there's there's some depth issues that will be solidified.
Speaker 2: By some.
Speaker 3: Practice squad members, maybe some active activity, I mean, shoot, tune in for the Chris Career Show tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Who knows what you'll find out.
Speaker 5: He really weave that theme in and out of the press conference all day discussing the uh Chris Greer Show, which we'll have Chris Greer at the podium for a press conference on Wednesday afternoon, and we'll have that covered for you all here on the Draft Time Podcast as soon as it concludes, and we have the entire show ready for you guys, let's go ahead and take a look at the entire roster and just kind of give you some thoughts about each position group. But first, before that, we call that a t's in the industry. Our first break Draft Time Podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to.
Speaker 4: You by I don't nation.
Speaker 5: Busy day in Miami gardens at the Baptist Health Training Complex.
Speaker 4: Cutting the roster down to fifty three players.
Speaker 5: It's gonna be a busy week and then we've got game week next week. We'll get you guys updated on the podcast schedule sometime next week. I have a couple of guests I'm welcoming on the show Jordan Rodrieg will join us to talk about the Great Play Callers podcast she did this summer. Brett and EJ from the Bootleg Football podcast. Brett Coleman e J. Snyder, two very knowledgeable football savants. We're gonna have them on the show here and maybe some others. We'll see what happens here as we go into Charge a week. Also gonna welcome on a member of the Chargers beat to break down that game. And of course the return of the in depth game previews. I promise you you're not gonna find more information on an opposition for the Dolphins this year than you do on this podcast each and every week. That's gonna be Wednesdays this year, the Game Preview Podcast. Let's take a look at the roster we're gonna take into Los Angeles, at least at the time being. Again, it's gonna change, but for the sake of topic coolness is that a word, We're gonna talk about it right now. So quarterbacks, three of them, number one, Tongue by Loa fourteen, Mike White nineteen, Scalar Thompson. No changes or surprises here. I think there was some moments where you thought maybe they could keep two quarterbacks, but going back to March when Mike White signed, I think it was pretty apparent you're going to have three quarterbacks, especially given Tua's injury history. Tua went through some ups and downs in camp this year, but I think that's only going to be a benefit to his growth. Seeing challenging looks and working your way through solutions with the better grasp and ownership of the offense you're playing within. I think that with his upgraded physical skill sets we heard we've seen and heard coach talk about the best version we've seen of two a tongue by loa right, I think that puts him in position to continue his trajectory that he's shown in his NFL career, where each year he's gotten better than the previous one. I think that two of skills are a perfect compliment to what this offense wants to be with the running the football, firing off the ball for the offensive line, which sets everything up to Ron Armstead told us that back in Houston that if you don't fire off the ball, then nothing else in this offense works. The quick game, taking vertical shots, displacement at the second level. The fact that Tua does everything so fast, from the footwork to the release, to the processing to the pre snap determination. I mean, it's beating a dead horse. But our head coach literally told the story about going over Tua's tape and showing his cut up to the entire organization as a way to say, these are the traits that we can and should and did build around. And it pairs perfectly with the offensive line, the receivers, the entire operation. Then with Mike and Skyler, I love the makeup, or I should say, the approach you take there in the room. Get your proven starter, get your veteran backup who's shown he can be a sparkplug off the bench with the jets, and then get your developmental prospect in there, which Skyler has shown a penchant for some playmaking at times, and I think that you can only expect things to slow down for him at this stage of his career because this offense is vastly different than the one he ran at Kansas State. So hopefully that processing stuff speeds up and he can become basically your QB two of the future. I think if he does that, those two and you know, whoever wins the number two job, you've got the vet who's been around and seen the league. You've got the guy that you figure still developing, and they're all intelligent, tough minded people who can support quarterback one.
Speaker 4: It's a good QB room at running back, six of them.
Speaker 5: You know what, we already listened to guys Off Wilson, aucmed a Chain, Moster Brooks and ingled I had the bootleg guys in the podcast and you'll hear that down the road here in a moment. But Brett made a comment about the seemingly requirement of four to three speed to play running back here, and I got quite the kick out of that, because the speed this room offers allows the Dolphins offense to really maximize its ultimate goal. And it's the goal of every offense, but this one really adheres to it. Attacking open patches of grass sounds simple, but sometimes it can be difficult to actually create in the interim. You create displacement with play action, with vertical game, with outside zone, and.
Speaker 4: There's multiple ways to achieve it.
Speaker 5: When you have a couple of four to two guys out wide and then a stable of four to three backs in the backfield, gosh, that creates a lot.
Speaker 4: Of conflict for defenses.
Speaker 5: I also think the second year with this and how it will create some synergy within the back pages of the offense and general better understanding of tracks when to bend, bang and bounce for a running back. I find that to all be reason for optimism for even more production here this season. You know, individually, I just love the way Raheem glides into the gap after he presses or stretches the offensive line and defensive lineout. I thought he showed you his tenacity down the stretch last year. And speaking of tenacity, who has more of it than Jeff Wilson, absolute tone setter, absolute beast out there. And then the long times of the podcast know how much I freaking love Savon Achmed's game. Exceptional pass receiver out of the backfield, balance and strength to make that forced defender miss like we saw in Jacksonville on those wide runs, and then the acceleration to not just make them a fifteen yard run, make it a forty five yard run, the changes of the game.
Speaker 4: And then of course Devon Acham.
Speaker 5: Probably the fastest of all these guys, home run speed, who will keep the perimeter of the defense honest and whenever it fully clicks for him. We'll see what that happens to be, because most where he's don't have it happen right away. He's going to be able to stress the defense in a way that no one else can quite frankly. Then there's Chris Brooks, who you all got to know in these games. That power he displayed was prominent both in practices. This month, we're also going back.
Speaker 4: To his college tape at BYU.
Speaker 5: Five running backs plus alec Ingold. You guys know how I feel about him. He is kind of a straw that serves a drink in that backfield. Let's go ahead and go to Mike McDaniel now, who touched on the udfas who made this team really good? Kind of dissertation here from coach. But since Chris Brooks is on the list here so far of guys we've talked about, I thought it was a good place to plug this in. Mike McDaniel on Chris Brooks, Julian Hill, and Brandon Peely making the initial fifty three man roster.
Speaker 3: That is the journey that is the hardest, most difficult to navigate, that really exists. You go zero to sixty from college to professional and then you get here and you are stacked underneath guys that have been doing it professional in the scheme or on the stage for an extended period of time, and it can be it can look insurmountable, especially you know, you have your first your rookie mini camp and you're like, man, I'm pretty good. And then you get to a practice with all your with your whole team, you're like, WHOA, so undrafted free agents that are able to make a fifty three man roster they.
Speaker 2: That in it In it of itself, I.
Speaker 3: Think I crushed that. That by itself really is such a monumental task that so few people can undertake promise nothing, and and and really just behind the eight ball. You know, it's like if I if I went to a foreign country, could I speak fluent fluently and a month and a half or however long? That's tough to do. But you know, every year there's there's certain guys that you're you're really trying to find that have that mental fortitude to really accomplish something like that very huge accomplishment that you know, the the that really all the teammates really appreciate. You want to see an excited locker room. It's seeing an undrafted rookie free agent on the fifty three because they most of the time they're they're breathing a sigh of relief because they're hope they've if they're even in consideration, they've made waves in practice in preseason games.
Speaker 2: And to see.
Speaker 3: That that goal, you know, all of their five or ten thousand dollars signing bonus, you know, and just really doing stuff for the right reasons and learning fast. It's it's a cool process for everybody involved in them. A lot of respect given to those.
Speaker 2: Three and many other rookies that hopefully will join us.
Speaker 5: As my guy, OJ McDuffie always says wide out six wide receivers Brax and Burials, Tyreek Hill, Hedrick Wilson, Jalen Wattle, Eric Azukama, and River Craykraft. It's well documented how excited I am about this group. Tyreek and Jalen the best one two punch in the game, maybe of all time. I don't know, speed, detail, competitiveness, the total package those guys are. But then we've got a nice mix of really everything else. I think certain guys satisfy certain roles here. You've got special teams aces in there. You've got guys who can run all the positions. Should we be without any of the top two guys, You've got good run blockers to figure into the mix to give Tyreek and Jalen their breathers, and they need them. I think Barrios was even more than advertised all camp long in terms of what he can do. From a skill set standpoint, I think Azukama moves in a way that is different than the rest of the guys outside of Tyreek and Jalen, But I would say the way he transitions out of breaks and takes off with the football in his hands, Ee is next in that group.
Speaker 4: With how sudden he is and how smooth he is just moving on the football field.
Speaker 5: We've seen him carry the rock, you know, it's been impressive with that too. I think that Cedric Wilson's camp or summer was kind of what I thought we were getting last year when he had a pretty slow camp last season. And he's been good with the routes, his suddenness, his vertical threats. He's beat one on ones all preseason, and then of course River Craycraft just so detailed an absolute coach's dream. We heard from Jalen Wild today, who was wearing a beautiful John Daily shirt at his press conference. I asked, maybe plays golf? I said, now, I suck and to was trying to get him out there, but he doesn't want to do it. Let's go ahead and hear from g on learning from Wes Welker and Tyreek Hill.
Speaker 6: Yeah, man, you learned each and every day with a coach like Wes and a guy like Reek. If it's not them telling me something, it's them you know, you know, doing it themselves and going out there with guy like Reek. You learned so much just from him going out there and doing it for so many years and being consistent and just being the leader on his team. And Wes actually did it too, So it's kind of easy when you got a coach that did it and really, you know, can tell you what to expect out there and what to like really do.
Speaker 5: Just two tight ends, Durham Smith and Julian Hill. I think you've seen a level of comfort established in Durham in the system. He's playing fast. I think he's hitting some really difficult blocks in the games and really just kind of sticking that role. Can be one of the more undervalued aspects of this offense taking even another step. Those key blocks that he hits off the edge man, those those can change the outcome of plays, and not just like by a small margin, by a significant one. Julian Hill, I thought came the furthest of all the tight ends in regards to his blocking game. And he's a little bit thicker and he has probably more of a frame to execute it. But obviously just two tight ends is gonna change as we get into the regular season. Offensive line ten of them Williams, Jones, Cotton, Hunt, Lamb Smith, Keon Smith, Armstead, Jackson, Eikenberg, and Win. We really saw the Dan Feenie trade shake some things up, and I think it's more of a sign of the progress we've seen from some of the young guys. You know, we'll hear from coaching in a moment, but Liam Eichenberg getting those center reps back in the spring that uh, you know, he and coach have both touchdown. Lester Cotton playing really well this preseason, I thought, and Robert Jones having a damn good camp. Let's go ahead and hear from coach on the Dan Feenie trade.
Speaker 3: You guys always sit here and tell me you know, what's what's the big deal about OTAs?
Speaker 2: Right? Huh huh?
Speaker 3: Do you remember there was some there was a center every play and uh, you know, collect the first guys up to be working on that and who've been training since OTAs and got invaluable reps throughout will be Liam Eikenberg and Lester Cotton. So we have a good core of players in the interior. And you know, adversity is an opportunity.
Speaker 5: I remember when people were freaking out about Connor Williams plants in our last summer or last OTAs, and look how that turned out. Not Sands canna be the same, But I think we should trust this guy and kind of how he views things. You know, the offensive line had really good continuity all camp. You know, sans t Stead going through his typical ramp up period. But I think that Winn has played really damn well at left guard. I think Williams and Hunt is one of the best center right guard combinations in all of football. I continue to be impressed by how Austin Jackson looks like he's getting better incrementally each day out there, and if he stays on that track, then we're going to be in a great spot going forward with the offensive line. I think highly of Kendall Lamb. I think he's one of the best swing tackles in the NFL. Talk to a wall if you disagree, because I know the there's some accounts out there who come after me and only want to talk about how bad the offensive line is. And it's like, guys can get better, guys can develop, guys can stick in certain years. And what I've seen from Kendall Lamb this year is a pretty damn good player at either tackle position, and he would start for some teams. That's just the bottom line. Keon Smith, full transparency. I didn't think I was gonna be watching him this preseason because last year was rough in training camp, but he'd made a huge jump. The tape was good in the preseason and it puts him on the active roster for now. Interior defensive line act. Let's go ahead and take a break right there and come back and talk about the defense. Plenty of audio for you guys on Zach Sealer and a really cool moment between he and Christian Wilkins at the podium on Tuesday. All That's Next Draft Time Podcast. Your host Travis Wingfield brought to you by Auto Nation.
Speaker 4: Interior Defensive Line.
Speaker 5: Here on the third and final segment, Zach Sealer, Christian Wilkins, Brandon Peeley and Raekwon Davis. I think you look at this group and you have the same two thoughts, like you're as happy as any team in the NFL with the starters, but there's zero proven depth and it makes me a little bit anxious about it.
Speaker 4: Peelee look, I talked about his.
Speaker 5: Tape and thought it was very inconsistent, very up and down this training camp, in this preseason. And we'll see how the roster shakes out in the next week plus, especially with all that cap space cleared up with the Cedric Wilson restructure, with the Dan Feenie trade and trading no egnogny as well. But I think you look at this group regardless of what happens, and if you get the same workload from Christian and Zach and Rakwan, you know, for all purposes, who is slimmer and quicker has better hands. Right now, I think we're in great shape with those three guys. If you get that workload, it's not gonna matter, but you got you do have to have depth in the instance that these guys miss some time, and that's obviously the concern.
Speaker 4: Let's make this the Zach Sealer out.
Speaker 5: Let's go ahead and first hear from coach McDaniel on Zach Sealer and the example that he creates for all the guys who got cut today and just how important that can be for a football team to have that example and just know that your journey because you got cut not necessarily over. Sometimes you can sign for ten million dollars a year like Zach Seler.
Speaker 3: The absolute you know, climax of the coaching experience, it is everything because you to watch someone go to sustain what that's what that is, that that body blow that is to be released from a team two, to battle against the human nature that is, am I good enough? The fortitude to keep pressing forward for the right reasons, the belief it takes in oneself, all of that, and and to to see.
Speaker 2: Someone come out the other side.
Speaker 3: We're so fortunate to have Zach and we were so fortunate to be able to to to be able to uh extend him for three years.
Speaker 2: And there's one thing you know.
Speaker 3: With guys like that, every every piece of the pie was earned, and that that is a testament, a living testament that you know we have in house now, a great example of perseverance that you can always resource and point out. You know, I I brought it up the other day, I think my last team meeting with the ninety man roster.
Speaker 2: As before you go into a world.
Speaker 3: Where this is all or nothing, I asked, you know, Raheemoster, how many times have you been cut? Zach Seiler? How many times you've been cut? And that's that's everything, because that you don't go through this, this world of NFL football unscathed, and you know there's not It's not a coincidence that I say adversity is an opportunity every two minutes, because it's always there. But if you can control what you can control, you have a chance to be the best version of yourself and live after football with no regrets.
Speaker 5: Let's hear from Christian Wilkins on Zach Seeler. And yes, that is him getting choked up talking about his best friend in the whole wide world.
Speaker 1: Honestly, I couldn't be more proud, more happy, more excited for someone than zax Hiller. Honestly, you know he called me the morning of and you know he wanted to be the first to tell me. And that's been my brother since day one. When he got here with like three games left in the season, and I couldn't be more happy. I'm more proud of someone, and you know, all the work he's put in and just we were able to ride this thing out together. You know, since he came here, it was just salt and pepper. You know, we're just you know, me and him, we always had a type bond since day won.
Speaker 2: And you know.
Speaker 1: That that was a great feeling. I was in his ear yelling on the phone when he called me. You know, I'm sure he didn't expect anything less, but I could not be more proud or more excited. And for someone to have that moment and to get what they've been working so hard for all their life. I mean someone you know, he's someone who started out really living that life in a trailer when he first got here, and you know, now he's on his second you know, extension with the team, and I can be more proud of him. Just everything he's worked for. You know, now he has enough money to finally buy that you know, platinum grill. You know, he's he's always wanted or whatever the heck some some more of those tools or whatever they heck could probably get. But you know, we just really had each other's back throughout this whole process, and I'm so glad he was able to get what he wanted ultimately, because you know, that's you know, I couldn't be more happy for someone in a lot of ways, more happy for my than myself. I'll challenge his wife, Hannah. I'm more happy for him than she could ever be. So, you know, really excited about that.
Speaker 5: I'm just gonna say, if you thought that Christian was going to be upset about that contract, you have no freaking idea who Christian Wilkins is. Let's hear from Christian on his own contract, and this is what I'm talking about. Talk about a better human being in this and a guy that handles up with a better class and a responsiveness than this.
Speaker 4: Here's Christian Wilkins with all that.
Speaker 1: You know, at this point, I'm just focused on, you know, just back to being my you know, being the best team that I can be and being there for my guys and getting ready to play a game and getting focused on the season. You know, as far as all that goes, whether something whether or not something gets done. You know, my focus is on the season. We got a game to play in two weeks and ultimately, like I said, I'm just here to be the best teammate I can be and be there for my guy the same way I've been all off season, all training camp.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: If you ever thought that Christian Wilkins is gonna ass football games again, you have no idea about that guy. Let's flip this now over to zach' seiler, who talked about his relationship with Christian Wilkins. I wanted to know, like, where'd this begin? Because for me, like relationships always start the same way. You kind of put on your best, you know, fake face almost and then as you get more and more comfortable someone, you become your real, authentic self, and that's when friendships flourish, at least for me. I wanted to know when it kind of happened for Christian and Zach. Here's Zach on that great buddy cop relationship that I.
Speaker 7: Say that first off season here, I got here with like three three and a half weeks left, so I was just kind of trying to just my head was spinning, just trying to learn Miami's defense at that point, and then that first off season we kind of slowly kind of grow together, learn each other kind of how he plays, how I play, and then just from there it's kind of built to where we're at now.
Speaker 5: As you see, let's go ahead and finish up here with Zach on his contract and how happy he is and what he thinks about when he thinks back to getting the big extension and spend more time here with the Miami Dolphins.
Speaker 7: Plus it was it's you know, it's one of those things you just dream about it and you work every day towards it, and it's one of those things I'm kind of like, just don't talk about and just work. Just things will come and just go from there. And then to really get to this point and in Miami and just to stay here and just be with the team, the guys, I love, staff, the coaches, everybody. It's been it's really it's really something special.
Speaker 4: That was the phone call to mom and dad after the contract.
Speaker 7: It was pretty good. Yeah, Almos tearing up and Dad really was just speech So it was It's pretty crazy.
Speaker 5: Deshaun Elliott played in Baltimore with Zach Seedler. He was asked about his former and current teammate on the extension, here's DeShawn who is just the best at the podium and pretty good.
Speaker 7: Field knows.
Speaker 8: Me and Zach started together in Baltimore, same year everything, So I've seen Zach's growth. Uh, he was robed around the edges of the rookie year, but he worked hard, and I think the best thing for him was getting cut. What's that being said? Like, say's the grim reaper day, So tell those guys around the league who's getting cut? Like, don't make that be the end of it, you know what I'm saying. The way Zach hand, he's a very strong minded guy, so he was able to uh make that into a positive.
Speaker 2: Came here.
Speaker 8: Dude had to do work its butt off. He was Him and Bradley Boseman were living in a trailer when they were in Baltimore. So like, just like how humble that guy is and everyone knows how homble he is and how hard he works. Uh, it was more deserved and I'm proud of him to see where he came.
Speaker 4: For sure, off the edge.
Speaker 5: Four players imagine this changes as well. Bradley Chubb, Jalen Phillips, Andrew Van Ginkle, Emanuel Ogba. Similar to what I say about Wilkins and Sealer, Chubb and Phillips are another part of this Dolphins roster where I would put our one to two up against anybody else's in the National Football League. Chubb's ability to dent the edge in the run game has been awesome to watch all camp, and we saw it on Saturday. He's also got the ability to run through and around blocks as a pass rusher. You guys know how I feel about Jalen Phillips. He has that three way go ability. He can redirect inside, he can run over you with the speed to power, and he can win outside with his speed and dip and flexibility ability. Just a phenomenal football player. But then from there you've got some depth as well. I think that I have a hard time, you know, categorizing these groups because Agba obviously is a d lineman, but he's a little bit different than Phillips and Chubb aar. He's long, he sets a hard edge, He's got a penchant for beating one on ones. He opens up various fronts that you can call. You know it's him. Wilkins, Sealer and Coach Clark have been here for now four years, which is kind of cool to see them all stay together. Just really valuable guy that I don't think it's enough appreciation here. Andrew Van Ginkle is similar with the varied usage we've seen from him and plus cross training this year. He's just good at everything he does at the off ball linebacker spot. Tindall, Riley, Long and Baker. Is there a faster linebacker room in the NFL? I don't think there is. We know about Baker, Tough, durable as hell, fast as hell, cover, blitz, run and chase all that stuff. I think David Long is one of the best off ball linebackers in the league, with the very best diagnosed and go get it skills in the damn league. I'm so excited to watch them work behind ninety four and ninety two up front. I think Tyndall made one of the biggest jumps all camp from a year ago. The processing is beginning to catch up with the physical traits. Duke obviously a core special teams guy who allows you to move someone like Baker around when you need to. I always think back to that two thousand and one game or twenty twenty one game against the Ravens when Duke played Mike and Jerome came down and played off the edge at cornerback. Six of them Kohu, Ramsey, Smith, Howard Apple, Joseph, newcomer, Kelvin, Joseph in as we swapped him for Noah at Guinogany rooting for Noah and Dallas. Great dude with a great mindset, just not ever click here. Finding the football was a challenge for him, but he operated Jeloseiff did. He's a good scheme fit, operated in both man and zone match systems in college and difficult defenses to learn. I think you'll see that carry over here in Miami. Very fluid hips and the thing that stands out the most is his length. Kyle Krabs had a scouting report on him and kind of gave him the skin. He said that he posted that he's a cover three quarters type of defender in college when he was coming out, didn't have a ton of snaps. Got some work in Dallas, but not a ton, So looking forward to getting to know his game a little bit more. The rest of the room love seeing Jalen around the team and staying involved with everybody. He's obviously very excited to be here. I just cannot wait to watch him make his debut whenever that might be Cater Kohu. I think is going to be one of the better corners in the league for a long time.
Speaker 4: He just gets it.
Speaker 5: He wins in the margins, he knows how to work, he's got sweet feet, competitive as hell. He reminds me a Wattle kind of on the defensive side. A real coach and fan favorite camp Smith. I think has the potential to really be a long term stalwart on the defense. Outrageous instincts we saw all Camp long. I love how Eli Apple fits in the system and just makes smart play on the regular Of course, X the perimeter lockdown guy. A lot of times in this defense you need the boundary receiver to match up with the X and not boundaries not outside.
Speaker 4: It means the short side of the field.
Speaker 5: You have to have a guy that can lock that down one on one X as that guy. Let's go ahead and hear from Mike McDaniel on the no.
Speaker 3: You know, that was something that we we definitely weren't chasing.
Speaker 2: We were approached with.
Speaker 3: There was some interest there and you know, really regardless, you know that it wasn't planned. It wasn't a situation where we were really exploring and the idea of not having him on the roster, but when given the opportunity and our specific team, with our specific needs, we thought it.
Speaker 2: Was both a win for us.
Speaker 3: And you know, I'm I'm so happy for and really proud of Noah because you know, everybody wants to be a first round draft pick and as a twenty year old that sounds cool, but there's there's a burden with that. And what you've seen is a guy grow as a player and as a person.
Speaker 2: And I think it, you know.
Speaker 3: Being able to be twenty three years old and go to a go to a place with a fresh start, specifically with a you know, a guy that I've worked with in dan Quinn and just knowing his his coaching mentality, I think it's a good fit for them.
Speaker 2: I think it's a good fit for us. So that's how deals are done.
Speaker 5: And five safeties Holland, Elliott, Campbell, Jones, McKinley. Just three guys with Campbell being down and McKinley was not at practice today, but he is going to make the roster here at least for now, and there will be you know, more to happen in this room. I think it's a great sign that we're getting a look at Brandon Jones outside of a red Jersey as he has a couple of weeks to get ramped up here. I feel confident in his ability to do that because of the way that he works and how seriously he took his conditioning while he was not practice seeing remember him bringing the bike out into the sunshine and Houston to ride the bike and you know, drop some some water weight there in Houston. Javan is a player we know can take this defense to another level with his football IQ and playmaking we saw in the final preseason game. And then Deshaun Elliott is an absolute tone center. He also has great range, whether it's you know, coming from depth or highline the sideline.
Speaker 4: Love his game. He talked about his goals he has this year. I thought this was really good from Deshaun Elliott.
Speaker 8: I want to win, man, I want to win, not just ten plus games. I want to win and go deep into the playoffs and get my teammates paid who deserve to get paid.
Speaker 2: And what they said, what's the saying. I want to say.
Speaker 8: Rise and Toye raises all ships. So I think it's just the biggest thing for me.
Speaker 5: We also saw tons of Deshaun in the preseason. How did those reps help you get ready for the season.
Speaker 4: Here's to Shawn.
Speaker 2: I think it was.
Speaker 8: Great just because just knocked the rust off before the first game. I haven't played that much in the third person game since my rookie year, but I think I really needed it just to get out there and get the calls out there. And also just so far, I need to run the show for the younger guys, So I think that's gonna help us in among run. I felt good, honestly. So it's going to play some ball.
Speaker 5: And then finally, what is it about the Vic Fangio defense. It stands out to you last time from the Dolphins safety.
Speaker 8: You have a set of tools that he gives you and it's up to you to use him. You can't be a robot in his defense about what you think is the best for our defense. And I think he's done a great job of making sure we understand that you can't be a robot, that you got to go out there and think and say everybody else to make their place.
Speaker 2: So that's one of the biggest things for me.
Speaker 5: And last but not least, the specialist Jason Sanders, Jake Bailey, and Blake Ferguson pretty core battery there with Sanders and Ferguson.
Speaker 4: Back for.
Speaker 5: See a fourth year consecutively here now and then Jake Bailey the newcomer.
Speaker 4: But there you go.
Speaker 5: That's your Dolphins fifty three man roster, twenty seven on offense, twenty three on defense, three on special and Nick Needham starts the year on pup.
Speaker 4: We're gonna go ahead and get out of here for now.
Speaker 5: You all please be sure to subscribe to the podcast on Apple Podcast, leave us at writing and leave us a review. You can follow me on Twitter at Winkfield NFL. Follow the team at Miami Dolphins, check out the fish Tank podcast, check out the YouTube channel for media Availabilities, Dolphins Today and so much more, and last but not least, Miami Dolphins dot com. Until next time, finns up, Caroline on camera and Daddy