Speaker 1: This is the Meat Eater Podcast coming at you shirtless, severely, bug bitten, and in my case, underwear listeningcast. You can't predict anything. The Meat Eater Podcast is brought to you by First Light. Whether you're checking trail cams, hanging deer stands, or scouting for ELK. First Light has performance apparel to support every hunter in every environment. Check it out at first light dot com. F I R S T l I t e dot com. Joined today, Joined this morning by Brent Reeves, Tony Peters, and Giannis pu tell Us who's playing with his phone.
Speaker 2: Christ hearing buck picks over here.
Speaker 1: He's looking at that big buck picks. Give us a quick report, Yannis. Jannis is monitoring. This is not what we're here to talk about, but Jannis is monitoring his Wisconsin family.
Speaker 3: Little place that's right, got twenty cameras set out and uh, it's interesting, man.
Speaker 2: These bucks.
Speaker 3: It's like they literally crawl into a hole for a while, and then all of a sudden, there'll be a day or two period and all three or four of the I'm calling mature bucks there pop out, show themselves and then crawl into a hole again, and I won't see them for two weeks. But yeah, I've got three to four that I'm very excited about. They're not giants, I think in the white tail world. But if any one of them walks underneath my stand in November, then I'll be trying to take a shot.
Speaker 1: Twenty cameras.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're all the They're all the molt Tree Edge. I believe that's the name of the model, right. All cellular. It's great when you live in Montana and you hunt a spot in Wisconsin.
Speaker 1: That's fun.
Speaker 2: Oh, the cellular.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm addicted by far way more to that than any other little thing on my telephone, Instagram.
Speaker 1: More than it's healthier too, is it man harder than everything else? I'm not hacking on Instagram sayings healthier than anything else on your phone because like, at least it's like a sort of interaction with some kind of unknown thing that's not man made. I just hung two and then I didn't bring my little security boxes. And one is so funny because like I get a picture of a Martin I hung just like right up my at our shack in Alaska. Uh, and I'm hanging it and I'm talking to my buddy Jeremy Romero, and he's like, man, those bears, you know, and I've had it happen before. It they just tear him up. But it's funny. So I hang it up, like right at Danny's cabin and get a Martin and then get a bear coming at the camera. In the next picture, the camera's pointing up into the trees, and the next picture, the camera is pointing straight down to the slow bushes and that's where it sits. Now, had you just had you just hung that camera, No, it was like within twenty four hours. I have a theory about bears and a trail. There's like a trail we use and they use, and you're just like, the hell's that?
Speaker 4: But I mean I hang a lot of cameras in bear country, and it's like, if they don't knock that sucker down within like seventy two hours, to leave it alone. But if it's fresh and it's so you always drop them off, then you leave. Then you know it used to be you'd come back six weeks later and you're like, oh, you know, like I have no pictures because my camera's laying on the ground. But it seems like that fresh hand scent, like fresh messing with it is really like the trigger that gets them to just chew them up and bat them around.
Speaker 1: I think that's what he's queuing in on.
Speaker 4: I don't know, but I mean, it's so consistent for me where if a bear's gonna mess with a camera, it's right away every time.
Speaker 1: But if i'd have hung a hatchet in that tree, I don't think you'd a bit that hatchet.
Speaker 5: I've always heard it was the petroleum in the place, stick and stuff that attracted them to it.
Speaker 4: I don't know, man, I just know that it has been so consistent for me. If I get one up and they leave it alone and a bear doesn't walk by and it's been out for a week or two, that camera's not going to get knocked down. But when I put them up that first bear that walked, like you said, I have so many pictures of like the inside of a bear's mouth or those ears like right up to it, and they always knock it sideways or down or tear it off.
Speaker 1: And move on. But if it's been there a little while.
Speaker 4: And I used to even when I used to bear hunt, I would try to be really meticulous about sant like wear gloves because you know, if you mess with bait, you touch a camera. Yeah, it's over a lot of times. And even then doing everything right. It was like if they came in right away and they messed with it, that that was the window when they were going to mess with it.
Speaker 1: I ended on I got comment about that. I ended on Seth Seth Morris and then Hansi Dirschmeyers. Here have you been on the podcast.
Speaker 6: For Yeah, like five years ago you've done Yeah, five years ago?
Speaker 2: What did you talk about five years ago?
Speaker 6: It was like Ramsey Russell and yeah, we're talking about duck hunting.
Speaker 1: For a little bit, and you liked to hunt ducks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Oh he was the guy boys call them. Yeah, yeah, right.
Speaker 1: Hanse's on our Hanse's on our production team and as an editor at his video content for us. We're gonna talk a bunch about video content a minute. I got to return to something that I was shocked about. You guys might know about this North Carolina. I was just down in North Carolina. You can't use processed foods on bear baits. They're having too much tooth decay on bears. You're allowed to bate bears way outside of the season because they have a long dog running season, and you're allowed to bate bears to lure into trained dogs. And I was talking to a game war and he's showing me pictures of tooth decay, a bad tooth decay on bears, skulls coming in, huge cavities in their teeth from all of the like sugar products, really candy donuts, jolly rancher, syrup, whatever the hell that on their stuff. And he said, in the spring, I spend most of my time not working illegal bait stations. He spends most of his time working illegal bait. Wow, So what are they supposed to use? Natural foods? Corn? No processed foods. It's like it's like parents in America right now are like fighting processed foods in their children's diet. And apparently they've brought that fight to the bears of North Carolina, of bears on processed food and they've got bears like it's to be in an eastern deciduous forest where everything's real thick and there's just bears around. Oh, there's a bear, there's barnet guy's field, there's bear walk across the road, big ones. Yeah, I didn't know that that even was a thing. I mean, I knew there was a lot of bears, but I know there's so many bears that it's just like there's one, there's one, there's one, there's a bear track.
Speaker 2: Well it's become a thing. It wasn't always like that.
Speaker 1: And people got them all hopped up on donuts.
Speaker 7: I wonder what a bear and a lot of donut and jolly ranchesterrup tastes like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now.
Speaker 7: Alaskan blueberry bears, right, I just wonder, yeah, up.
Speaker 1: His fat, his fast, the color a green apple, jolly rancher like a star bears listen, and I bring this up. I'm not I have not heavily investigated this. I I I interacted with one individual on this subject. I'm conveying you to you information delivered to me in one conversation with one individual who was a wildlife professional. But I didn't go talk to like there's probably someone out there who's like ready to rip like the speaker out of his car, because he's like, that's not true, and if that's you, how that's not true. But he was showing me multiple bears with like cavities that you could see on a cell phone photo. Who are who are getting a long term a lot of their diet from processed food, so they are they allowed the bait for a particularly long time because like in Arkansas, it's because they have the dog training. Okay, so they have a big training season. You're allowed to bait for dog training. So there's there if they're I don't I don't remember if there's no on off switch, or if it's just a very a very generous period of time that you're allowed to do it. But he works illegal bait.
Speaker 5: It looks to me like if you had that many bears, you wouldn't have to get them centralized trained the dogs freaking man, did you do that on like property when you're training?
Speaker 1: Oh, like you can still train dogs off the bait. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I can't comment on it, you know what that might be.
Speaker 4: So in Wisconsin where they run bears where we or they run dogs on bears where we hunt, they will start at a bait site because they can bait the bears in and they can check a camera and be like, there was a big boar here doing it right.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, So that's why they're doing that.
Speaker 4: But so they're even in the off season when you would think they wouldn't need to that. You could just go find a bear track to run them. They're probably running through the real like dress rehearsal for the hunt, you know.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. Then you give them a little bears toothbrushes flooridem, that'd be like the That's probably like what their proposal would be, like, Okay, how about we just add fluoride?
Speaker 5: Yeah, to the swamps pour Out of four, out of five bear hunters approved, there's always that one.
Speaker 1: Okay, Hans, are you ready? Yeah? Okay, Hansei's here because he's working on Hans's working on six episodes for us that are called me Eater rough Cuts, six hunting Trips, yep six hunts. Some of the people on some of these hunts. Let me think how many of these Clay's not here, Tony's here, Seth's here, Yanni's here. Those guys aren't and Seth's here. You're working on a project about hunting Alaska moose Ye with me and Clay Nukeom. You're working on a project about hunting Oklahoma white Tails of me and Tony. You're working on a project about trapping in Montana me and Seth. You're working on a project about hunting COO's Dear in Mexico, Me and Yanni. You're working on a project about hunting Mewle's in Montana with me and Garrett, my friend Ronnie Collins, the spear fisherman. And then you're working on Texas whitetail me and Seth.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and Dave's with DSD.
Speaker 1: On Dave Smith. Yeah. Yeah, Okay, So tell me the challenges. Tell me the challenges of making something about trapping. Okay, where do we are all the action? As my wife points out, she doesn't like it because all the action happens out of sight. Yeah, it's like you're not even there.
Speaker 2: It's true.
Speaker 1: She thinks it's cheating because you're not there.
Speaker 6: No, it's it's true. I'm like it creates a challenge in that it's like not all in one day, right, there's no like there's no like through line arc natural progression of like we climbed the mountain and then we shot a ball and then we packed it down. It's it's like, well, no, we we had to set the traps first, and then we had to like give the traps chance to work. And so you come you're coming back days later and you're going to a whole bunch of different locations, right, and and there's like there's there's multiple species involved here too, right, So I mean you've got an entirely different selection of information for each trap different amounts of time. And now it creates kind of a possibility I think from a from a story perspective on like going to different places and and and learning new things and uh sign reading. And it's gonna be a heavily graphic treated episode because of that. So it's gonna be something that we've we've not done before in that regard.
Speaker 1: No, you know, another interesting thing about trying to film something about trapping, or in your position edit something about trapping is uh, not only is a lot the action occurring when you're not there in this case, the actions occurring underneath the ice, yeah, or like sort of underground, and when you make the set, it's obscured by dirt. Yeah, so there's nothing clear about anything.
Speaker 6: No, No, that's where that's like, that's where the graphics come in.
Speaker 1: You wouldn't know it, but that's a set. Yeah, it just looks like dirt. Yeah. And then now we're gonna leave, yeah and see what happens, you.
Speaker 6: Know, there's there's a section in here where there, you know, Seth and and Steve are talking about uh, bubble lines in the ice, and it's like it's all this intricate detail, but we can't see any of it. It's like, well, in theory that's under there, like they're they're there.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 6: And and I won't say whether or not. I guess you guys are vindicated on your information, but yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: In that case we were vindicating. Yeah, I want to tell you in NAK that's one of those things where, uh, the the bubbles don't lie. Yeah, that amount of bubbles don't lie. Most things that are made about trapping, and I consume like a good deal of this stuff. Most things that are made about trap and are instructional. Yeah, right, it's an instructional intensive Uh, it's an instructional intensive genre. Yeah, and you're trying to make something that's sort of uh less instructional, sort of like entertainment.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And and in our case, like we have you and Seth, we have a long history of trapping, and so over time we're we're showing some inserts of like photographs of of you, like kind of set allah a Wes Anderson kind of feel stylized. Yeah, and it I mean, so so there's some stylized elements in here that just that just give just a new and different treatment to this. And and yeah, it'll still be instructional, I think, as it should be. I mean, it's it's uh, there's a lot to learn about it.
Speaker 1: Do you feel that that's the first one of these that we'll release?
Speaker 6: Oh boy, We're we're kind of in like different stages of production right now.
Speaker 2: So like.
Speaker 6: Alaska Moose with with Clay is like very I think, very far along, and then Oklahoma White Tail with Tony is pretty far along too. And and as far as like as far as which one's gonna come out first, I I just don't. I just don't know. I think I think probably the the one that we're we're still in the most production on is that the Texas Bucks with with You and Seth.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's got the farthest to go.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, it's farthest to go really, but but we have we.
Speaker 1: Have some really we like delivered gold I know you did. Yeah, how much?
Speaker 7: How many how many buck attacks on the decoys did we see?
Speaker 6: Well, it's also it's also called Steven Seth Rattle in twenty two bucks. Yeah, it's I mean, that's that's the alter ego of the episode.
Speaker 1: They're Likeruly.
Speaker 6: It's really cool footage. It's amazing footage. Yeah, yeah, no, it's it is.
Speaker 1: It is a well, let's no, but I don't want to move into that one yet, okay, copy. I want to move into working on working on from an editor's perspective. And this is the listening because I asked you something very specific. Yeah, so you're cutting Oklahoma White Tail Hunt with me and Tony Peterson. I want you to just this is going to be awkward, Okay. I want you to look Tony Peterson in the eye and tell him about what it's like to interact with his hosting as an editor.
Speaker 6: Tony's already like he's already like on edge, because when we were filming this, he was like Hans Hen He's got like he's got like really intense eyes. I keep looking at him in the camera and uh so, so okay, so how is it. How is it to interact with Tony as a host as an editor, as an editor?
Speaker 1: Are you like, God, this guy brings it?
Speaker 6: Uh No, it's it's Uh, okay, where where do I start with this?
Speaker 1: Where do I tell you what it's like? I've told I've told his story a lot of times. It's like with Tony, Tony is a very intense person hunt with do you really in a good way? He there to not get nothing? Yeah, well that's true. Yeah, I don't like on film tags. No.
Speaker 6: I think on that particular episode, like we've got it's kind of a cool piece because we have we have two different stories, which is not the only place that that's happening in rough cuts, but we have we have you guys on the hunt itself, which is a cool story. There's like some some drama moments and and things like that doesn't like all go to plan, which always makes for great TV. But on top of that, we're coming back to Tony like in a gym environment, talking about the logistics and the tactics of the hunt. So we get like two different slices of Tony a little bit.
Speaker 1: In the gym environment. Did you debate between going with the like suit like a retired athlete dude, or did you do you want to know how much I want to go like an old retired quarterback? Do I want to go like actively.
Speaker 6: I got like a sweater vest, like an old checked sweater vest kind of thing.
Speaker 4: But so you want to know how much information I got before filming that, Sam Bates sent me an email and she said, Hey, we need you to come out to Montana and shoot one scene for your Oklahoma show, and we need you to look like a pe Coach from the nineteen eighties like Taylor, right. And I really didn't know until right before the shoot kind of what the idea was behind this. And then when I showed up, you know, we went out to the YMCA and set up, and HANSI had a whole idea in his head.
Speaker 1: And let me tell you something.
Speaker 4: They ran me through the ringer because I had to do chin ups and talk like talk like I had to think on my feet and talk while do actively doing chin ups or like curling dumbbells and doing stuff. And after that shoot, because like I went into that shoot, I like, I go to the gym all the time.
Speaker 1: I'm fine.
Speaker 4: Like after that shoot, I was so sore because you never did talking well. It was like fifty reps in a row because they're like, well, we need another take, and you're like, well, this take is another six chin ups or you know, like imagine if you were and it like imagine if we just handed you like a twenty five pound dumbell. You could curl that, no problem, right, But if you had to hawk for like forty five seconds or a minute while curling NonStop like and kind of exaggerating it, you'd be like, well, I just did you know fifty three reps in a very short amount of time. And so HANSI put me through the wringer. And I think Hillary was loving it too. She said, let's have him do more stuff like that.
Speaker 1: That's great. So it was a it was the I've never done a shoot like that some of the but it's got to be good that we got a bunch of stuff.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, definitely definitely, Like dear.
Speaker 2: Do you need I need? So, I mean some of the some of the good thing.
Speaker 1: We killed everyone that walked by us. Yeah, there's the two. This is the thing and and uh that we used to struggle with is the too much of a good thing problem.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's exactly it. That's exactly it. And that's what happened with we won't go into it yet, but Texas Bucks. But but yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: Steve's ready to go into it too many bucks.
Speaker 1: I'm not ready.
Speaker 2: I'm on open. Yeah.
Speaker 6: No, I think I think from like a from a story element absolutely so like too much of a good thing, and we're just trying to do something that's different. I think one of the elements of the whole series was that, you know, we had we had some limitations as far as like cameras, as far as how many cameras were on these shoots, and with with not having as many as like a mediatter episode of the past, we didn't have some like long lens footage, so we so we didn't have those those those same moments captured in great detail quite to the extent that you know we'd love. But it also offered another opportunity to create something different entirely, and that's and that's where we came up with these you know, inter cutting these scenes like with with Tony and uh and on this one is kind of like it's it's predicated on like there's a scene in Lockstock and Two Smoking Barrels Guy Ritchie film where they like open up a boiling pot of water and you see the cameras underneath this bottle of this pot of water and he chucks in a bunch of vegetables. But he's talking and you can hear the talking, and you see this site. And that's kind of similar to how we pitched some of these scenes with Tony, like on a pull up bar coming into frame, which was you know, probably uh hard, but like fun to be like, no, I'll do that again, uh, you know, a little more exercise. But but I think it. I think it worked. I think it was cool.
Speaker 1: And he's a good actor.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, he worked.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we put him.
Speaker 6: We put him to work either way, whether.
Speaker 4: You know where I find my like source of inspiration for that. I just always think I just got to do a better job than Kenyon. I gotta imagine Kenyon in this situation, and how would I just do a little better job.
Speaker 1: Well, he's thinned up so much because all the running, I know.
Speaker 3: You know, I think he hasn't. I asked him about that. He looks it, but he hasn't. I think he's lost it in his face a little bit.
Speaker 1: Shave his mustache that strolls me off. Man, I've been avoiding my neighbors. I heard he cut his mustache off. No, I avoiding him because I'm like he's gonna look so different, forget his name, and gave himself a mohawk. No, there's a whole story about his mohawk. He was on like his he's a high school teacher and an artist.
Speaker 2: But that's it.
Speaker 8: We don't need any more.
Speaker 2: No, no, no.
Speaker 1: It was this thing for this thing for the high school. He was doing this thing with the high school kids, like this dodgeball tournament. So one thing led to do another and he had to get like a mohawk, and I was like, that's an interesting choice. He goes, this is a whole story behind this mohawk, and then I heard now his mustache. He's always since the dad I met him. He's my like one of my best buddies. Since the day I met him, he's always had various like configurations of crazy ass mustaches. My wife's like they're all gone, all the mustaches.
Speaker 4: You don't He recognized something, So you want to know how iconic Marx mustache was in my life, even my kids. Last night, my kids are out Yellowstone right now, I'm gonna meet up with him a little bit, and I talked to him last night and they when I told me about the they saw on all this stuff, and I was in our room and I'm rooming with Mark, and I made a joke so Mark could hear it, kind of like when I was talking to one of my daughters and she goes, are you rooming with mustache? There's multiple people in it. This is like how deer get derivative names, right, Like you talk about this buck and you're like that, I saw that ten pointer that had the dropper, and then over time he just becomes dropper, you know what I mean? So Mark, like people will be like, is that the guy with the mustache and eventually he just becomes mustache mustache man?
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Well when you want to talk about.
Speaker 6: Next which episode?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 1: Oh, man, let's do Moose.
Speaker 2: You got it?
Speaker 1: That's well, what do you want to talk about?
Speaker 6: I love I love the Moose episode. I think it's really cool.
Speaker 1: You like that one?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I do?
Speaker 1: You know why I like it?
Speaker 6: I have an idea?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 7: Was your moose bigger than Klay's moose?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yes, guess yeah.
Speaker 6: It's it's a great story, and it's like more of a day by day approach versus some of these others. So we have like day markers spread throughout, and there's been some like back and forth on voiceover narration or not, and I like, I'm leaning toward narration right now, whatsoever, whatsoever, because the story really speaks for itself. I think we like allowing allowing it to breathe, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah cool if if someone out there is an aspiring outdoor filmmaker or aspiring outdoor TV show maker. The way you want to set everything up is that you try, you go do something, you try really hard, and it doesn't work, and then all of a sudden it works.
Speaker 6: The hero story I mean, yeah, yeah, not that you rattle in.
Speaker 2: Not that it works every time the first time.
Speaker 1: Here comes the book and comes every time. Yeah, that's great. That's a great lived experience. Yeah, it's better if you just can't get anything to come in. Yeah, and you do it for days and then finally one comes in and you get it.
Speaker 6: That's the payoff. Yeah, that's what draft to build up that payoff.
Speaker 1: Editors don't want you to have a good hunt. Yeah, they want you to have a nail biting. The editor wants you to have a nail biting horrible time. Yeah. Yeah, and then.
Speaker 2: But that's a metaphor for life, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh yeah. They don't make movies about like a sports team, like sports movies. You know, they don't make it that the movie starts and they're in they're champions. Yeah, dog story.
Speaker 2: Everyone loves their richest riches.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Texas White was like we were born millionaires.
Speaker 1: So yeah, tell about your approach with the moose one. It's quiet.
Speaker 6: It is quiet, Yeah, relatively speaking. It's not like it's not like a lot of chugging music like driving the whole thing. It's a lot of it's a lot of moments between you and Clay talking, giving each other crap, and and and the logistics of it and and uh little details and and scenery. I mean that's and that's that's it. But it's it's uh it. I think it functions in that way because this is a story that's been like a long time in the making. You've been on how many nine hunts for this or how many.
Speaker 1: Times have I've done that sort of thing?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, A bunch for just generally hunting moose in Alaska, A bunch honey moose that way in Alaska, maybe four or five times.
Speaker 6: Okay, And it gives us a perspective on that that, Like the beginning, you talk about the several different types of hunt that that can be in Alaska, and so we I think we really get a like a very visceral experience of what that fly in type of hunt is. And it can be grueling.
Speaker 1: I mean, I try to explain in it there's we've filmed all these kinds I think, yeah, we have over the years. Yeah, I try to break up something that's kind of complicated into three buckets. With moose hunting, float hunts where you're like, hunt float down the river, hunt float down the river, hunt float down the river. It's very dynamic. You're eys in different spots, you're seeing cool stuff. You're like, hey, look at there's a fish. You know, setting up camp all damn time whatever, It's just a lot happening. That's the pro The con is you don't really settle in and you're not doing a long game calling strategy because you're always in new spots. Another style of moose hunting would be that you're cruising somehow. You're cruising by quad runner, you're cruising by bow, you're cruising on foot, you're cruising the horses and you're like looking for moose that you'll make a play on. Then the third is that you're somewhere where you can't move stock and you have to just try to call one to you. And that's the kind that's the most boring to do. It's the most boring to watch, but it's psychologically the most fulfilling. Yeah, in my view, Yo, any think's stupid, I.
Speaker 3: Don't know about its stupid, but not on my list of things to repeat.
Speaker 1: He's not mature enough for it.
Speaker 6: It's more of a gentleman's game what you're saying.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, just an old guys game.
Speaker 1: It's the old guy's game.
Speaker 2: Well you said mature. Usually people mature with age.
Speaker 1: Not like that. That spot the old guys game.
Speaker 8: Oh guys not walking half a mile down the hill to get water.
Speaker 2: Pack that up.
Speaker 1: It's a mind Uh, it's all mental.
Speaker 6: It's patience thing, isn't it? That intrigues me about it?
Speaker 2: For sure?
Speaker 8: I've grown to really like that hunt. At first, I didn't like it.
Speaker 1: Because of what I'm talking about. Yeah, let me tell you so. I got a way of put it. I got a metaphor for you. Years ago, I was on an airplane. I only had two kids at the time, and they were real little, and I was flying with the two little kids without my wife, and I'm struggling. Everybody's shitting themselves, pissing themselves, crying, you know what I mean, little kids. And the guy behind me offers me a word of encouragement. He says, listen, right now, it's all physical. Later it'll all be mental. And it's better when it's physical.
Speaker 2: It's easier.
Speaker 1: Now, let's apply that to moose hunting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I think by that metaphor, you're agreeing with me.
Speaker 2: You're saying it's better when it's physical.
Speaker 1: Yeah, never mind that story.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 5: But but aren't you.
Speaker 4: Also saying that we always view the physical stuff as the hard part, but the mental stuff is really the hard part.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right. I put that back. Yeah, you put it back in.
Speaker 8: But there is some physical aspects of that hunt, because you got to pack the thing back to the strip.
Speaker 3: Well, but once you get good at that hunt, you shoot them on the strip.
Speaker 2: From what I understand, I'm not to.
Speaker 1: That level of discipline. I'm not to that level of mental.
Speaker 2: It'd be tough. Well, you could do it there, but there are guys.
Speaker 1: There are guys that I believe there are I know this for a fact because I've just heard it from too many people who are trustworthy sources. There are people who will that I've known, who will be like, oh, we could get that bowl right now, dead to rights, but we're going to call it more toward the air strip. That is not a place I have arrived at, nor will I ever arrive at that place mentally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but maybe physically.
Speaker 1: I could see that you'd be placed there physically, That's true. You might be placed there physically, but I will never arrive there. Where Like, we could get it now and just have it be gotten, or we could try to call it up to the airstrip. There's a level of confidence there, there's a certain swagger. Yeah, now that would be a good episode.
Speaker 6: Calling it to the airstrip. You know, Well, there's a lot too calling I mean, you talked about it with with Buck Bowden in the past, and we talked about it a little bit in this episode, and I mean it's it's all with your throat in your mouth, and it's I mean, that's a pretty intriguing element to me. I'm nodding here, like oh yeah, yeah, calling it to the landing strip like I know what I'm talking about, but I really I've just like watched you know, I've watched all this transit.
Speaker 1: Watched enough of it. Yeah, but you know what you do. I want to ask you this, ask you this as an editor. This was kind of our white whale. I think. I think, yeah, you were working on me either when we with this is the thing we wanted to do. We wanted to make a show one day twenty two minutes. Okay, if people wondered, why twenty minutes, because it's a show's thirty minutes. But when you pull out the ad time, you got twenty minutes to work with. Is that the point you're gonna make Yanny?
Speaker 3: Uh No, I was just gonna say, you're talking about the one that we want. Our dream was to make one in real time.
Speaker 1: Yep. Yeah. We wanted to somehow find a way to make an episode that was just hit record.
Speaker 7: A live stream, no.
Speaker 1: But hit record and then after twenty two minutes, hit stop. And we used to think that you would like go out and sort of pick a thing like a stock, find a stock and be like, okay, go.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I used to prep you.
Speaker 3: I mean, there were a couple of hunts we went on and where we were like, if we have the opportunity, I'll be like, Steve, this is it. We're going to try it right now, and I would prep you with talking points that you'd have to hit in those twenty two minutes, and the goal would be that, like the beginning of the stock was the beginning, and then as we went through the stock, you'd be like, you know, keeping people along, doing your thing, and then somewhere around the bang or soon after the bang, you would hit stop and you'd have twenty two minutes of like literally one shot, and you'd have this episode.
Speaker 1: You'd be like a Robert Altman scene. We never did this, Hansy, great edit. You should do more of the show.
Speaker 8: In Texas.
Speaker 7: With the twenty two bucks that got called in.
Speaker 1: We could have made a twenty two minute bus. You know what what made us think? What made us think of that idea. We were in New Zealand one time and we did like kind of a little bonus thing. One day. This guy was going out the hunt pigs with his dogs in New Zealand and he's like, Okay, we'll meet at whatever place were.
Speaker 3: You on this No, but I've often referenced this episode because it's impressive what transpired.
Speaker 1: We didn't know where we're going, and we're like, okay, we'll bring all our stuff and we go out. This guy we get there like right at daylight, his little dogs strike a track of a pig. We're in the mountains. And also in a while later, like the dogs, I'm not kidding you, the dogs cease existing on his GPS. It's because they've gone into a pig's hole. Okay, so you just lose contact with you know where they were, but you're not getting any feedback from m because they're down in a hole fighting a pig in a cave hole. Okay, like a like a hole in the ground. We eventually find the pig. The dogs are blocking them up. We excavate straight down and arrive at the pig's back like dig a big hole down to the pig, find the pig, get the pig killed, drag the pig up out of the hole. The New Zealand dude gets a big fire going, gets the pig all wet in the creek, burns all the hair off it, and by this point it's like ten in the morning and we're like, oh, that's we just made like an episode of a TV show and like ran it. Yeah, it was great. Yeah, all this stuff going somewhere seven days. It's like it was like, I mean, I'm not kidding you. Besides us cooking some pig later, I mean, it was like eleven o'clock in the morning and we're like, that was the most amazing morning of the most amazing morning I've ever been involved in.
Speaker 3: It's definitely besides maybe a cooking episode that's a totally different animal. But as far as a hunting meter episode, I think it's the only one that's ever been shot in one day.
Speaker 1: Half a day that got a sick. We should try to do one in twenty two minutes. Uh hell are we talking about.
Speaker 2: Long moose?
Speaker 1: Moose? Yeah, so the moose hunt. Yeah, No one goes anywhere.
Speaker 6: No, you're in the same spot the whole time. I mean, it's a it.
Speaker 1: We shot maybe about twenty yards from where we spent eight six days.
Speaker 6: It's like a war of attrition, you guys just like waiting it out.
Speaker 3: What makes that one particularly tough and the patients is that there are many other hunts where the same level of patients is required.
Speaker 2: I mean, hunting eight days in the white tail rut.
Speaker 3: Can be that way because you're going you're like, I want to see five bucks a day. Often you're like, I saw a flicker of a tail, and I sat here for ten hours, but I saw birds and squirrels and a bobcat watch by, and there's other things happening in the eastern deciduous force up there. The amount of wildlife, even though Alaska is often considered this just the place of.
Speaker 2: A lot with.
Speaker 3: Abundance, abundance with critters, it's not. When the salmon are there that day in the river, it's amazing, there's tens of thousands swimming by your feet. But a month earlier there was zero, and a month later there's zero. And when you're sitting on that knob waiting for that moose, there is not an abundance of wildlife, which makes it particularly tough to entertain your mind.
Speaker 1: That's what I've tried to raise that point. Before caribou hunting, you're sitting there watching three hundred cariboo walk by, and you're like, my god, like the land of plenty, and be like, let's talk about the other eleven months in two weeks, you can sit here and nothing walks by.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's all these there's all these moments that you know, like for all of this together, all these episodes, I want to say, there's probably like one hundred and forty hours of a footage. Sure, yeah, so, and and all that comes down to like a little over two hours like of final really what you're dealing with. Yeah, so that's that's the gross amount. But like even within this episode with like nine days or however many long, it was like, there's all these moments that I want to include that like evidence exactly what you guys are talking about, Like where the like your your mental stimulus from your surroundings becomes so narrowed over time where you're so hyper attuned. It seems like so hyper attuned to your surroundings and the environment and what you're seeing. That like you've got that, and then you've got like the mental stimulus between each other, and then you end up creating these like and it all kind of killed me to cut this, but there was like this one scene where you guys create this song about like a watermelon man on a corn stand on a block on some block in New York city.
Speaker 1: We were singing, and I cut it simple man. Yes, yes, that's a simple kind. Yeah, because Clay was saying when he retires, he wants to open up a sweet corn stand. So we rewrote simple man as cornstan.
Speaker 2: I forgot about that.
Speaker 1: When I was young. Uh, build your stand, son, and they will come plant your seeds in the morning sun.
Speaker 7: And then we need like some outtakes because part of his problem was he wants to be a corn stand man, but just not grow the corn, which is not the kind of corn stand I want to go to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's store man. He wants to be like I mean, he wants to be like a like a retailer system.
Speaker 3: I'm just guessing here, but I don't think that that on average, the person running the corn and stand is the farmer.
Speaker 1: That's the kind I like to go to. That I would have family, really, Yeah, where I mean I grew up.
Speaker 2: They have to be out on the well.
Speaker 4: You's like the farmer's fifteen year old daughter has to set there all day or somebody in the in the sphere, maybe not.
Speaker 1: The person planting the seed and run the combine. Yeah, when I go to a corn stand man, I do not want to be buying no corn from some guy that bought that corn. I will, I don't want to that's the grocery store, right, well, that's the business Clay wants to retire into it. Imagine that he wants to be a simple corn stand man. He told me, you want to be a commercial cab fisherman. When yeah, but you can't do that, a simple commercial cat fishing man. Too many syllables even for us. Uh so you cut that out? Yeah, yeah, sadly I wish, because that would have given you six minutes, right.
Speaker 2: I know, I know, yeah it was.
Speaker 6: It was too long.
Speaker 2: We should make that a YouTube short.
Speaker 6: There are so many that come out of these. I mean, yeah, there's and uh you know we do.
Speaker 2: We have a whole channel for that now.
Speaker 6: So yeah, yeah, no, the YouTube clips, there's some cool stuff happening on that, yeah for sure. But yeah, Tho's future stuff, future projects. And you know, we've talked about like director's cuts, you know, the equivalent with some of these episodes too. It seems like a possibility, especially with a couple of them.
Speaker 1: So we talked about ratland Bucks, but have we talked about ratland Box a ratland Box episode. I mean, we've touched on it, but have we tackled it?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 6: No, No, we touched on it over.
Speaker 1: We've played for again, we've played flag football.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we're just giving stones on it over the top of it. So go on, too many Bucks? Too Many Bucks? Is that twenty two bucks episode? And it's just like if I were to compare it like a like a through line like a story. You know, most of these stories have like a curve and it goes up and then there's an apex and it comes down very quickly, and then this one is just like flat line of action for like twenty two minutes. So in trying to like figure out what to do with that.
Speaker 2: We were.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's like, the footage is cool.
Speaker 6: I shouldn't say that.
Speaker 1: As I went into that, no one. I went into it thinking, this is about rattling a bunch of bucks.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you're like, I just wanted to be a montage of us rattling a bunch of bucks.
Speaker 2: And by the end I was like, but I think we got that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you definitely got that. You definitely got that. But on top of that, there's just like some other cool things that I think we were able to weave in which was this, you have a posturing deer decoy, which I think is a pretty interesting concept just from like a just bringing in bucks to a decoy is an interesting concept on its own, but then rattling it in on top of that provides another element. But with this DSD decoy, I mean getting a little bit of background and context for that, for that how that came about in your relationship with Dave, and using it on this shoot was like a whole interesting through line that that we're gonna weave together with the with the with the action, which is cool obviously, but but it gives you some some context.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't mean this has any disrespect to anybody in this room, but I like Dave by name that I work with.
Speaker 6: Oh, he's a he's a great person. I mean you see that on the interview, and I don't hardly know.
Speaker 1: You can't hear a thing anybody says.
Speaker 3: He spoke yesterday we had a big company wide meeting. He started off by saying very nervous to speak in front of people, but then landed like three very good jokes. I felt that aside had he not done his little joke, but at all when that man starts to talk about his craft. I mean you can just feel it from his heart. And like I was skeoching up in my seat being like, what else is he gonna say? I mean, I find it very captivating when he's about his craft, and uh yeah, he's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, he's He's the next level. It's hard.
Speaker 6: It was hard to like isolate and Hillary Hillary Burne, our post production director, has provided so much for this whole project, like idea wise, and but she was on the she was on that shoot. And when she brought the footage.
Speaker 1: Back and was pulling Dave.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and when she brought that stuff back, she was pulling the selects, which is like the best moments of it. And it was like I was asking her, how's it going, and She's like, there's this just so much that's good, like so much everything that he talks about, everything his story, it's like so interesting and so and then it was all of a sudden it was like, all right, well, we can't, we don't. This is not a DSD commercial. We don't want it to be like a marketing piece, like necessarily, this is a this is a story profile, it's a profile. And and but his there's so much interesting stuff that he says. It's like we could make a whole we could make a whole show on on Dave. I think. I mean, he's just seems like a cool cat. Uh.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you a funny story about day, but I gotta give a little background on it to the listener. Here at our company, we have this thing. I don't know if anyone pays attention to it, but it's on your calendar every day. There's supposed to be like a time of day people are like, oh, I got you know, I got two men emails. I can't focus on what I want to focus on. So there's like this time of day when it's supposed to be that you can't email like company focus time.
Speaker 2: You can't have meetings during that time.
Speaker 1: But I never get to do it because I always have meetings. But it's like company focus time, so it always pops up. I don't know, fait does it? Does anybody pay attention to Company focus Time four day? It's just it's just built. It's like it's a it's a joke. It's always been there and no one knows what it is whatever, but it's there. Yeah, I'm hunting turkeys with Dave during the week. Hey, me and Dave, we're hunting turkeys. We're driving from one spot to the next days like looking at his phone, he looks at me. Oh shit, it's company focused on.
Speaker 6: So did he observe it?
Speaker 1: We focused on driving to our next jury?
Speaker 2: Nice?
Speaker 1: Okay, who's dear with Yannis? What a smart guy is?
Speaker 6: Well, because you guys have some good ribbing back and forth. But yeah, that's a that's that one's where like things get weird right where we took this episode that was.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, where's.
Speaker 6: He going with this?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 1: Made us go to a new spot.
Speaker 6: Okay, Yeah, so that's what started maybe the beginning. It's maybe the beginning.
Speaker 1: I want to hear from your perspective, but.
Speaker 6: Well, from what I saw, I was like, we had this tremendously beautiful hunt in Sonora. I mean this the scenery there is outstanding. It's incredible. I've never been, but again, I've like just watched a lot of those footage, but it was it was like nothing happened for seven days. So we had we had we had all this footage of like you know, driving around, Johnny gets stuck in a can am or a polaris or something, and that's like kind of an interesting moment and which is evidence of the hard country. But like that's that's what we have for like seven days. And then in like twenty minutes at the end of this, like you guys both do deer at the end of this, and it happens so fast, and we don't have any like long lens, so like the very zoomed in picture of the deer and what they're doing and things like that. So we were just limited on what we have for this episode. And so in the process of trying to come up, we like I cut an episode and it turned out to be I want to say it was like fourteen minutes or something like that, and it was it was interesting to watch. I thought, like, once we got it all together, it was like a it was an interesting fourteen minute episode, but like these these have to be twenty two. And so the idea became like, all right, what if we what if we have you guys like Ciskel and Ebert like in a movie theater kind of like uh Mystery science Theater, the show where they watch like b movies and science fiction and they have these like little silhouetted guys in front of the movie, and what if we have them sitting there talking about and narrating effectively this episode. And so we had you guys come on a to a little cinema and Livingstone and and uh and basically reshoot the thing. So we had a what the cinema people would call like second unit. So we had you know, we had lighting and we had cameras again, and then we we shot. We shot you.
Speaker 1: Doctor Randall makes a cameo.
Speaker 6: Doctor Randall makes a cameo. He's a he is an annoyed an annoyed theater goer, which is which is kind of fun. But but no, I think we get a little bit of like extra again, extra context, extra extra background, and uh, it is it was a giant pain in the butt. I mean, like you're talking about a TV show in a TV show like so, so that alone is like got a lot of technical constraints and our team is awesome and so like Zoe, our post production supervisor has done some cool work and like compositing that all together so that it just it's it looks different, like I don't think anybody's ever done this in the hunting space, Like I don't think that exists. So that's that's what makes me excited about this episode.
Speaker 1: We still haven't tackled the too many bucks. Yeah, why why why do you think people don't? Why do people not just want to watch awesome buck footage? I think we're gonna just call it awesome buck footage.
Speaker 6: I think I think we're going to get that too.
Speaker 1: Did you see that one?
Speaker 9: It's drooling I've seen I've seen multiple more like have like swollen necks and just like he's drooling.
Speaker 6: I think I think I know the shot you're talking about.
Speaker 1: He's coming straight straight in.
Speaker 6: Yeah, got a little bit more of a vertical set of antlers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now that's the one I had to stomp ACTU I thought he was gonna get That's that's pretty wild. Yeah, what else am I think? Do you see the one that you see how they what's going through their head when they want to attack the decoy?
Speaker 6: Oh, I mean we have we have footage of them literally attacking the decoy. I mean that's that's cool stuff too.
Speaker 1: I always pictured when a buck was going to attack, like because your picture this, it's like you're giving a buck the dream scenario as the assaulter.
Speaker 6: Because he's going anyway, here's a buck.
Speaker 1: He's gonna fight, but the buck is doing no defensive maneuvering. So you're able to see like like let's say I said to you, uh, go punch that guy right, and you're approaching thinking like, okay, I'm gonna have to dodge his punches, you know, but it winds up being like power slapping. So but you can just do what you want to do. So here you're seeing bucks who are coming in being like, oh shit, I'm gonna need to fight this buck. I hope I don't get hurt. And after comments, he's like, oh it, man, this buck is not doing any of the things that would defend it. Yeah, so he's like, so what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna come from behind. I'm gonna get up to him, right alongside of him. I'm gonna stand there a long time, and then I'm gonna bayl Ris. That's what he wants to hit. And the.
Speaker 6: Moment, the moment of curiosity was like it's like it lasted so long, curious, curious, and then the moment of aggression was like four seconds, like.
Speaker 1: But you get to see what he would prefer to do is hit you so hard in your ribs. He doesn't want to hit your head. Ye, yeah, he doesn't want to hit your your weapons are man. He wants to punch your ribs hard death.
Speaker 3: Do you ever have any that, because, like you said, they figure out once they make impact that there's not a buck. But did you ever have some so some that were so curious or aggressive that even then they're like, that's not.
Speaker 2: A buck, but I can't take it. I'm gonna go back again.
Speaker 1: They were definitely, they definitely were like something is askew.
Speaker 8: Well, we got one where he came in, knocked the decoy over. I ran out there, set it back up, and then he came back in again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I should say there's always it's hard to know what's going on in a deer's head. I would say that that the handful of times, there was always like what I read as a bit of like what yeah, like a what.
Speaker 2: You know not.
Speaker 1: That he would hit and then kind of recovered from the surprise.
Speaker 3: It was like a gobbler, right, he just will sit there and keep flogging that thing. You know, there's no it sounds like plastic, it's on the ground.
Speaker 2: Its throlling around.
Speaker 3: Still hasn't reacted to him, but he's like whatever, I'm waving it to you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's like, oh yeah, well now I'm gonna breathe you.
Speaker 6: You make a really good point in that episode that you say, like i'd like to to the effect of like I'd like to interview I'd like to interview a deer, but it's got to be an honest one. Yeah, Like and that's that was.
Speaker 1: So mister buck when you came running up here and you saw that deer standard, what was the first thing you thought, you.
Speaker 6: Know, like an exit interview like this won't affect you, but we've got to know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just my advice as my advice to use. Just let people like those bucks.
Speaker 6: It's definitely definitely not gonna tell you how to do your job, Hansei.
Speaker 1: But okay, it's one last one we was talked about cutting cutting a Mule Deer episode.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so the Mealier episode is you Ronnie Collins Garrett, and uh, it happens like it's kind of another one that happens quickly, like it's like a day right, too good. It's it's just too good. And there's one and this is like a technical consideration that's just sometimes just a bummer. It's just it's windy, and like it's just when and like there's no really great way to everything sounds like, yeah, there's no really great way to like eliminate that or or you know, clean it up afterward. And so is that right, There's not like there's there's an extent.
Speaker 1: Right, there's no I would think there's gotta be some little magic trick to make all that goal away.
Speaker 6: It's it still just sounds like you've you've treated it heavily, and so it's like distracting. So I think it's it's getting better like every year, but still, but I think another another element of that is just that it's like when it's windy, people just talk less, like on camera when it's windy. And I don't know what that is, but it's just an observation I've had is that it's something I don't know if it's a just a something very primordial or or whatnot, but like they just talk less. And that's and that's definitely what happened. But it gave us a kind of a cool oppera ortunity to like, I mean, these hunts are across big expanses and long they can be long shots. And so it kind of gave us an example, like an instance in which to talk about long distance shooting as it pertains to meld your hunting yep. And so we have this episode that was that we then shot again with Garrett and you at the range talking about long range shooting and talk about talking about the evolution of long range shooting as it applies to hunting and practice. And so the other cool thing about this is it is going to be like graphically treated, So we're going to have graphics in it that demonstrate and show some of the trajectory trajectories of bullets over distance and and how that how that works, and how practice like actually works, like how it actually affects your hunt.
Speaker 1: And also a thing we'll get into is that people want to I think this will be in the final product an observation that no one questions gravity, but shooters want to act like the wind, that they can wish the wind away, right.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: They would never be like I'm just going to act like gravity isn't going to pull that bullet down, But when it's windy, they're like, I'm going to act like the wind isn't going to blow that bullet because I don't want to go into that hole. I don't want to go into that whole deal, you know, So it's gonna be like somehow it's not actually going to blow the bullet way over to the right or left, you know, which is the thing we talked about on the range, like wind is as real factor. It's as real as gravity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's easy to understand one axis, but when you add in the second one, it gets real complicated.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And my tendency would my tendency has been to be like I'm just going to wish that one away, like maybe it's only windy where I'm at. Is it going to be blowing the bullet the whole old time, because how could it. That's time on the range, you know, not home on the range. Time on the range has demonstrated, like when you one of the things about shooting extreme dis not even extreme distances, because that means a whole new thing. Though shooting long distances, shooting at distances greater than I would shoot in the hunting has taught me to accept the reality of wind. When you're shooting at in the high wind, you're shooting at stuff six seven hundred yards away and you're watching bullets hit the sand several targets to the left or right. You're like, Okay, I now agree that this has to be paid attention to.
Speaker 6: You know, there's a moment in that where you're like, this is like post post hunt where you're like, my practice has paid off. Yeah, and and and it's not just it's obvious. It's like obvious to the viewer, and it's obvious to Garrett. And it's like you don't hardly need to say it because we've seen it happen, but it just it. It's yeah, it's the real deal.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, what else you want to add there?
Speaker 6: Jordans Jordan Martin's our editor working on that one right now, and he's doing bang up job. And uh, I think there. The thing about these episodes that kind of ties them all together is that we get a little bit deeper context of you as a character, a human, a hunter. Like we just we it's like we layer down. It's not like a substitute for meat Eater the show, but it's just like we get some little snippets here and there of like seth of you, of of dirt. We get some like camera operator moments that are that are like just cool little little tidbits that I think add add some humor, add some fun. And we're just psyched about it right now.
Speaker 1: Unless governed.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, there's like we kind of threw the rules out the window to an extent. And so and when does this series drop? I think early November. I think that is what we're looking at right now.
Speaker 1: You better get out of this place and get up to your little place.
Speaker 6: I know was not at half of yesterday for that exact reason. So, yeah, clock's ticking, I believe me, I feel it. I feel it.
Speaker 1: Well, stay tuned everybody for rough cuts. Thanks, It's gonna be fun many Yeah. SE's got little moments in there. It's cute.
Speaker 6: John, he's got some great one liners.
Speaker 1: And Tony's in there. Brent, you had it said, hell a lot. You titillated.
Speaker 5: I can't hardly wait. I want to hear the rest of the song. Yeah, oh, but not right now. You won a case pocket knife last night.
Speaker 1: I did. Congratulations, I did. He gave it away he has one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I gave you yeah, or three. I gave it to Myriva Dreva Hanson, who does all the editing on my podcast A wonderful human being.
Speaker 1: And real quick house this country life going. You're appreciating it very much, So yeah, it's very good. I get a lot, a lot of feedback.
Speaker 5: You know, when I started that thing, I really didn't really know the direction it was going to go. I thought it would just be I didn't want it to just be hunting fishing stories or hauling hay stories. And because I didn't think there was enough meat there to do it. Because there's way more people who are a lot better at hunting and fishing than I am that are putting stuff out there to educate people. And the about three episodes in, I got a letter or Instagram message from a guy in New York City. I've told this story several times, but it's just so meaningful to me that I always think about it. But he said, you know, I live in New York City and I have never hunted or fished. My dad never took me hunting or fishing. When you're dad was taking you, he said, But my dad was taking me to Yankee Stadium towards the Yankees play, he said. And it's I relate to what you're doing because I was with my dad or my family members doing the same thing. And that's he said, your your show is really good and I like it, and I thought, why in the world with this guy like that? But then I figured it out, Well, it's about the show that I'm doing is about relationships. And when I when I had that focus, everything became real easy for me to do. Then it could be a story about anything, you know, it's just the relationship with a place, or a person or a thing, even you know, a case pocket knife, which has been a tangible object in my family's legacy and history that started with my great grandfather that's carried on now and it's something that everyone in my family can is a fan of and appreciates because of the history of you know, our family with it just a simple thing as a as a pocket knife, but it's just it's something that connects all of us, even to the folks that have gone before. Like I never knew my great grandfather, but I got a pretty good idea of when he needed a pocket knife, where he was reaching forward and what he was breaking out, So that that's been real meaningful for me.
Speaker 1: I like that that you got it narrow down and it's about relationships. I remember at a point trying to think of all the stuff I've done and written about and all that like through a career. I was like, how do you would you define it? And I thought, well, I guess I would define it like like I explore and have explored human relationships to nature. Sure right, yeah, from the perspective of a hunter, perspective of biologists, whatever, whatever. It's always been like most of my stuff, there's people. This is why, hey, ann are I'm opposed to that poll because there's nobody there. Because there was no people. I asked myself, why do I hate that pole, the South Pole, because it's got the nature but not the people.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, my wife and little girl and I we went out to Bradford, Pennsylvania to the case factory three weeks ago, and I thought I need to since I've always carried pocketknives, I wanted to carry something out there that meant something to me and that might mean something to them. So I found a pocket knife that I had setting up on a chef that I give it the first pocket knife I ever bought with my own money, and I gave it to my dad as a president in nineteen seventy nine and when he passed away, I got that back. So I thought, I want to take something with me that will that means something. So and I always carry twupocket knife, so I was trying to figure out what's the other pocket knife I would take. And last year when someone arbitrarily sent the case folks my podcast of the things that carry in my pocket, and those guys appreciated it. Wy, those guys appreciated and they sent me. Guy sent me a pocket knife and on a case knife, you know it's got the tang stamp on there, and you can tell what date it was manufactured that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know what you're talking about it. I know I told you that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, it'll tell you the year and what year it was manufactured a decade in the year. So I thought, well, I'm gonna take that one, the first one that they sent me for a token of their appreciation of, you know, my family's history with it. So we go out there and when they're taking my wife Alexis and my daughter Bailey and I on this tour of the factory, in the first place we stopped the plant manager, the production manager said, this guy over here is he's doing he's weld in the first part of the pocket knife together. He said, he's been doing this fifty one years, this job right here in this case factory, and I'm doing math in my head and I go so I reached in my pocket and I pulled out this knife and I go over there in a medium and I said, mister Dave, would you have worked on this knife? And I handed to him and he opened it up and looked at it and he said, oh, yeah, I worked on it.
Speaker 1: Now and.
Speaker 5: Handed it back to him, and I stuck in my pocket and I started telling him the story of me buying it and give it to my dad, my dad passing away, and me getting it back. And I got about halfway through that, my wife said, here, let me help you tell the rest of this, because it was just a pretty emotional moment, you know, for that thing to have gone full circle, yeah, and beyond full circle really, because I gave it to him, I got it back when he passed away, and then I took it back to where it was built. So it was that that is the true representation I think of what my show is and ship for sure.
Speaker 1: You know collisions, yep.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just life collisions. I was telling Kren about one the other day, a collision that I'm looking forward to having. Yeah, if I could never catch this guy that is stealing my fish. You have fished on my brother and I have have been putting we.
Speaker 1: Eat a commercial.
Speaker 2: It sounds like a bear Grease episode.
Speaker 5: Now, yeah, I hope this guy. I'm sure this guy doesn't doesn't listen to anything. But my brother and I have commercial fishing licenses and we fish nets on a big Arkansas river. I'm not going to say which one it is, but it is a big Arkansas river.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 5: And when we put these nets out, there's sometimes there's people around. Sometimes you can see if the water's up where we have them anchor to the bank.
Speaker 1: Uh, you can't see the strings.
Speaker 5: But as the dams operate and there the rivers coming up and down there, they're either generating power downstream and they need water, you know, the river level will go up and down, and then sometimes you can see the strings that hold our nets well as as locks. Keep honest, people honest. If a few see If you're a fisherman and you hook one of these nets, and you hook or you see one of these lines, you're supposed to just leave it alone. Some folks don't do that. So we had some guys stealing. There they leave and there they're they're running our nets, keeping our fish, and but they leave our nets back out.
Speaker 1: I guess, so we can catch some more for them. So I was telling what.
Speaker 2: They do with the nets. They're too lazy to set on themselves, exactly.
Speaker 1: So I was telling Karen about this the other things.
Speaker 5: She said, Oh my gosh, this is a here's a here's a here's a moment right here we need to take advantage of. So the good folks at Moultrie and I are fixing to lay a trap for.
Speaker 1: Him, advertising the trap right now. Oh yeah, but they don't. They don't listen. It's going to be good. I wish I could tell you the best forward I ever heard in my whole life, but I'll never tell you. Okay, why not, I'll never tell you. Okay, this is pretaining to fish. If we all, if we start working together and ten years goes by, you come ask me. Okay, Okay, that's a statue. Limitations. Keep it up, man. I hope you catch those guys. Oh I do too, me too. You can do something bad to them.
Speaker 5: Oh no, no, nothing like that. Shame them absolutely on. You canna shoot at him right? Oh no, it's no, that's that's pretty serious.
Speaker 1: Unch them or nothing.
Speaker 5: No, no, no that. I just want to catch them, just want to let them know I know what you're doing. Sometimes that's the like the old farmer that caught me and my partner stealing watermelons out of his watermelon patch when we were in high school. He caught us dead the rights and I learned that night that my friend, who was six to two could jump a five strand babo our fence in one one leap, and I could jump four of them.
Speaker 1: We had to go. Do you know there's a is there a melon called the brad This is the last sound I say, the Bradbury Melon.
Speaker 7: I got a check for that right now.
Speaker 1: I'm nothing familiar with that.
Speaker 2: I'm not either.
Speaker 1: Uh, there's a melon.
Speaker 7: Brad Bradford watermelon, the Bradford melon. Oh yeah, the heirloom Bradford water.
Speaker 1: There used to be watermelon wars and melon theft was so bad in the American South. The people were lace and watermelons was strict. Nine people were going out. They were so fed up with watermelon theft. They were rigging explosives. What on watermelon? Well, here's was this type in.
Speaker 7: It looks like it's like an elongated Bradford watermelon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want listeners. No, this is all bonus material right here. Mm hmm.
Speaker 7: It looks like a foot and a half long. It's like long and skinny.
Speaker 1: Listen for a second.
Speaker 10: This is the saga return of the legendary melon, the Bradford watermelon. There's a problem with watermelons. A watermelon cross with any cord, cucumber, pumpkin, other melon or squash in the vicinity, so you have to keep a mile apart from any other vegetable, or else it will form vegetable mongrels.
Speaker 1: Anyways, goes out and telling the story of the Bradford Melon. That's one of my favorite videos now watermelon theft. But I never met a watermelon thief talking about you, I thought it was all bs. I was unsuccessful. Oh okay, you're lucky he didn't rig dynamite underneath. Oh yeah, what he did was he we'd Actually, I take that back. I was successful.
Speaker 5: Just the night before we went and got one and it was really good, and we raised watermelons at home. I could have gone out there and got them. But there was just a little more excitement to it to be running around uptown with your friends and like, ah, we'll go get you a watermelon, and everybody, I'll wait right here at the parking lot.
Speaker 1: We'll be back.
Speaker 5: So we go out there the second night, and then under this night light in front of the barn, this humongous watermelon and I don't remember seeing the night before, but I mean, it's a target of opportunity, So we're going, so we go. When we pick it up, my buddy picks it up, and we start walking back across the fence, and I turned around and somebody whistles real loud, and I turn around looking there's you can see the glow of a cigarette in the hall of that barn. That's all you see is a big glow, red glow. Somebody smoking a cigarette.
Speaker 1: That's the owner of the watermelon.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And the next thing we heard was a shotgun boom.
Speaker 1: What happened to the watermelon, I don't know. It could have been made out of plastic, I don't know.
Speaker 5: But when we headed to the fence, when I finally got through it, my buddy sounded like a typewriter going down that gravel road in front of me, just out of sight.
Speaker 1: But I grew up not terribly fire from my wife and uh sometimes I'll tell her things and she's like, you know, and I was telling her about I said, yay, if you get a watermelon, know you put it in the creek and cool it off or the creek. She's like, I don't know, you stand out. Yeah, like how was this all occurring? Like so close together? But just like stuff I have, Like my wife used to like, all right, take that watermelon sink in the creek. She asked me, She said, did you grow up on the little house on the All right, thanks for.
Speaker 6: Coming on, Hansei, Yeah, thank you, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: I think people are thoroughly titillated. Hope so well, yeah, stay tuned for rough cuts coming out and that video I just played from the mind of a chef, but this is from the mind to Hansey.
Speaker 6: No, yeah, that's that's good. But it's yeah, it's a good team effort. We've it's been in a pretty huge collaboration. So mind mind of post production, find of mind of Steve slash.
Speaker 1: Post You're like someone receiving an oscar, so much experience than all the people pull out my list, all right, thanks for coming on, man Hey, thanks, appreciate it.