Speaker 1: The Around the NFL podcast. It's another show with Levi from a Chris Wesley podcast studio. It's Around the NFL. I am Dan Hansis got heroes here, Greg Rosenthal, Mark Sessler. Yes, you are in the iconic Levi jacket.
Speaker 2: You're lucky that I, you know, complied from a wardrobe straight and I had been here, you know, with more time, I was going to switch into a button des What.
Speaker 1: A coincidence it is that you're wearing the jacket when that drop hits. Yeah, it's a it's a day that ends and why we we've left out and also with us listen, it's been a while since he's been on at n UH and we're happy to have him. If if rich Eisen is the face, then this man is the conscience of NFL media. You know who it is, Yes, Steve wy wy YoY man. I think it's like wizdorms. O man, you guys man, this is awesome. I have to say, We've had so many great songs submitted by our listeners through the years, but I don't know if there's anything better than the Steve Weisch.
Speaker 3: I mean, I am just so like it sounds very it sounds really professional. We have to get to to play this song. The Unteason hard knockcause he's a big reggae fan there, so here.
Speaker 2: Was great on the Manning cast, he was great some guitar.
Speaker 1: I would roll around town listening to this on loop.
Speaker 4: Yeah, nothing like Tears of Heaven to really bring the party going.
Speaker 1: Evan Hornsby with that well done banger. Yeah, it's very good. All right, we got Steve here. I love It's for having me. I'm excited, big show. A little housekeeping before we get going. We got so much you get to we're gonna do uh, open up the mail bag. We're gonna check in on that TNF banger. What's the over under at now? Is in the twenties? I will check. I believe it. They kept it at thirty. It keeps sinking. Pittsburgh, New England. We're gonna play. Oh it's down to thirty. Oh my gosh. We're gonna get some news, but just so little palace intrigue for around the NFL. Today Steve was picture day for around the NFL. I love it. Yeah, and Greg and I were here, Mark wasn't and you you told us you had a perfectly good reason not to be here. Yeah, so do we We're good with that, Gregor are we cool in house with Mark?
Speaker 4: I mean, we have to be right, we have to be We were here. We took the pictures.
Speaker 1: And we and it was supposed to be headshots and then group photos, which I did not know that that second part, but I couldn't. It was right there in the email. It was all very clear. But we we got you. So we asked, uh, what was her name? Maddie, Maddie, Maddie who did an awesome job. We did this, We got it. We got one of the shots. Check it out on YouTube. We made sure to kind of leave a spot for Mark, and then I went ahead, thank you, and I took care of this and did a little photoshop to get you. And I know Camp Happiness is your favorite era. So here's the other photo. There we go, Yeah, so.
Speaker 4: This will be the photo and yeah, we'll send it out.
Speaker 1: You don't know you're coming. You're good. We got you, all right, cool, we.
Speaker 2: Got your slightly ominous that the first group shot in about a decade doesn't include me. I don't know what that means for the future, but I will. I took a child to the dentist today, so I hope that it works as a.
Speaker 1: We got your back. All right, we're good, We're good. That was from high school.
Speaker 3: That picture, by the way, that was not from summer camps.
Speaker 1: Not from camp happiness.
Speaker 3: No, all right, I'll get back to a ridiculous field near my house.
Speaker 4: You do look like you could you know, use some lotion or some sunscreen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no danger your sunburn back. Then all right, Steve, you can photoshop.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I mean on the promo, on the on the photo for NFL Game Day preview.
Speaker 1: It's photoshop.
Speaker 3: So like Andrew Ciciliana and I are at the same height, so they they can get you in there.
Speaker 1: You'll be fine. Say they've got the skills. I was saying, we took some photos of Greg and I and we're not a good matching photos because it makes me look bigger and Greg looks smaller. And of course Greg's like, nah, I don't see that. It's like, well, I was like, really good, we looked great. I thought you looked stunning, the two of you. All right, here we go, Steve. Yes, yes, you have a Derwin James interview. So we can't we can't be like pussy footing around here. You know it's all right, Yeah, yeah, you can wait. Let's do it. Let's get We got so much to get to. Let's start though with some news. You d said the record this year over twenty two miles an hour, still as fast as ever. It is fifty in the league, twenty two six, Hey, twenty three mile rookie of I probably won't never hit again. That is Tyreek Hill from the Hard Knocks in season which amazing Dolphins, which is spectacular. I had not checked it out, Lata. He's great and as I've said many times in the show, Next Gen, Big next Gen doesn't want people to know that everyone goes twenty one miles per hour. But we're starting to see we're starting to see some cracks and movement there. Because DK on Thursday Night on that seventy five yard touchdown, crack twenty two, and there's Tyreek I believe him, when he was a rookie, before he got a little older and some injuries, was hitting twenty three. So we're starting to move away from twenty one miles per hour. That's good. This is a big Dan' spin on this beat. I could tell yeah, he's hung up on this. Yeah, what about you, Steve, You ever have like a pick six or anything in college or in the pros and you were able to get the pros? Come on, what are we talking about here? You never know? Did you ever hit you ever hit twenty? You think?
Speaker 3: Uh no, because back when I was playing, everything was kind of being measured by sand dials.
Speaker 1: There was no such thing as next gen sports.
Speaker 3: So maybe you know, if if a shadow move it in front, that worked.
Speaker 1: You know, I was.
Speaker 3: I was on the Sophocles timescale. We were definitely a Socrates not so but no, all right, good did did you have a pick six though? In any time in your high school?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's pretty cool in front of all your classmates, they're watching you.
Speaker 1: I've had some big house.
Speaker 3: I've had some big quarterback about a sixty five yard quarterback sneak to the house.
Speaker 1: Oh hell yeah, Oh no, I've got I've got. If they gave Jake Browning a full segment about his high school exploits a few weeks ago, why don't we just drop it into game day more.
Speaker 4: I don't know if I said ninety one touchdowns in a season, but you.
Speaker 3: Know I had ninety one touchdowns in a season. I have ninety one touchdowns in a career. And again there's probably video of Jake Browning, right, mine was like on tape.
Speaker 1: That has warped. And Steve is one hundred and fourteen years old. Based on the development, Yes, all right, let's get to it. We'll start with Trevor Lawrence, the Jaguars quarterback who suffer that high ankle sprain on Monday night. Man, it looked bad when it happened, but here is the good news. The injury is not one that ends a season. And on top of that, there's a report from Jeff Howe of the Athletic that he is going to quote rehab around the clock this week to give himself a chance to play through his high ankle sprain. Per sources, too early to know how the ankle will respond and whether it'll be available Sunday, but they are not ruling it out. Here is Doug Peterson on the situation.
Speaker 3: So starting with Trevor, obviously it's just a right high ankle sprain. Everything's stable, everything looks good, and we'll see where he is here in a couple of days.
Speaker 4: One of those injuries that you just don't know how serious it's going to because there's different high ankle sprains. Canny Pickett required the surgery. Trevor Lawrence isn't getting that. I even think of Ryan Tanneil. He's had multiple high ankle sp some he just played through essentially, some he's missed, you know, two three weeks. This week seems like a stretch. But they do have a Ravens Sunday Night game in week fifteen, so maybe he's pointing towards only missing one game.
Speaker 1: It's still just the way that they were talking today is.
Speaker 4: Definitely not gonna practice clan that would be that would be a big surprise, and they could potentially lose their lead in the division if they lose two games with them.
Speaker 2: Sin at eight and four, that is a nasty two pack of games. The Browns are pretty banged up too, but without if you have CJ. Betherdon there who didn't look terrible in relief, but that that's a completely different situation.
Speaker 1: Trevor Lawrence is very tough to prepare for.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: I mean, look, they're playing Cleveland, which is it's going to be either Flacco or dtr and the Jags defense can can come up and make a couple of plays which they should be able to do.
Speaker 1: I mean, it gives them an opportunity.
Speaker 3: This is one where you say, Okay, we're playing a backup quarterback one way, another ones coming out of concussion protocol, or one who's playing in a second NFL game, So our defense should be able to get us there if we're as good as we think we are defensively. If you want to win the division, you win these type of games and you have your backup quarterback.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh, I would say they probably felt the same way about Jake Browning and that was a bit of a national surprise.
Speaker 3: But well, yeah, you think, I mean, Bronnie was pretty spectacular in that game.
Speaker 1: It was in other news Vikings quarterback Josh Dobbs will start on Sunday against the Raiders. This speaking of palace intrigue, I think it kind of went on everyone's attendant a little bit. After the Monday night loss to the Bears before their bye week, O'Connell came out in the postgame presser and was like, yeah, you know, we're gonna have to evaluate everything. Who makes Justin Jefferson the most dynamic here is Kevin O'Connell. After making the decisions to stick with Dobbs.
Speaker 5: I want to address the quarterback position. We will be starting Josh Dobbs in the football game on Sunday. Feel great about kind of our bye week process of really, you know, two layers to it, evaluating kind of where Josh has been as far as immediately providing a spark and helping us win to football games, and then you know, transitioning to some tough, you know, tough outcomes where there's all kinds of things that we could we could do better, we could coach better, Josh's continued comfort in our offense and how we play, but also our offense and our staff's ability to evolve and and help Josh thrive.
Speaker 1: He added that Nick Mullins, the backup, will be ready to go. There's also a rookie in the mixed, Jaron Hall. Greg I liked your theory. This is the team around the end NFL, by the way, so this is an important decision being made by the head coach. I liked your theory. Throw it out there. Now, this isn't based on any reporting, but I kind of.
Speaker 4: Know because he caught us off guards Kevin O'Connell right after that game and then the Monday after saying how he's got to have to look at everything, including the quarterback position, and changes.
Speaker 1: Could be made.
Speaker 4: And my theory was in that game when Dobbs was throwing an interception after interception, maybe at that point, you know they're having a conversation, it's like whatever you do, just like, just don't turn the ball over anymore, or you know, be careful this or that. And Dobbs that fourth interception he had in that game, it was one of the worst interceptions anyone had all season. He's just like falling down Jameis Winston style, throws it to nowhere, and I think it kind of blew Kevin O'Connell's mind there for a couple of days and he had to calm down emotionally. But I'm glad to see Josh Dobbs over Darren Hall or Nick Mullins. Nick Mullins leading the team of Around the NFL podcast doesn't have the same time scro dark at that point.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean the Dobbs also, I mean when the guy came there, I mean, look, he's moving, he's doing all this stuff.
Speaker 1: Gives him the immediate spark.
Speaker 3: But that's one where a coach has to say, Okay, this is one where my guy got the yips in the game where everything just came the snowball came downhill.
Speaker 1: It was a total collapse. If we start.
Speaker 3: Seeing it in the next game, that we can go to Nick Mullins. But right now we're gonna give another.
Speaker 4: Show and build an offense around him. He's a very different quarterback and this gives him a week to do that.
Speaker 1: But bye, we came at the ideal. It really did. In other quarterback news, more palace intrigue. This one out of Flooring Park, New Jersey. Oh boy, The New York Jets dealt with a major, major drama around Zach Wilson. We talked about the backstory with this. That word had gotten out and reported by The Athletic that Wilson was apprehensive about returning to his starting role two weeks after he had been benched by the Jets, citing concerns about his health and you know, an uncertain future that likely doesn't involve the Jets. Bob Sala, that's poor guy. I know I can't. I'm coming down hard and solid and the Jets in general on the show lately. But I really do like Robert sal He seems like a really good and decent man, and he is not in a good situation, and it just things are snowballing on him and he's the face of it. So it's just kind of I can be frustrated as a fan, but also I feel badly for Salaz so now here he is announcing that indeed, Zach Wilson will be his quarterback on Sunday.
Speaker 6: Zach gives us our best chance to win and giving him another opportunity to go prove that.
Speaker 1: How did that conversation go when you told.
Speaker 6: Him he's good?
Speaker 1: He's fired up.
Speaker 6: Like I said on Monday, he came into my office. He wants the ball and he's excited about in this opportunity to finish the season strong.
Speaker 1: The rest of the year no matter what. God Willing, oh Man, Steve god Willing is not where I would have gone with that. But Aaron Rodgers on the McAfee show on Tuesday, he kind of scolded the whole Jets locker room for too many leaks this season, and ESPN reported that what likely happened, per source, is that Wilson asked the teammate for advice on the risk reward of playing a late season game with no playoff implications, and from that word got out that he had reservations. So someone in that locker room, Steve kind of snitched on Wilson, babe, or somebody in the building, right, somebody snitched on Wilson. And you know, just an ugly situation. It's terrible. I me, I mean, this is one thing, you know. Look, I love Robert toal.
Speaker 3: I think he's a fantastic man, and he's he hasn't putting it in a very bad spot because your organization sold out for Aaron Rodgers and he got hurt.
Speaker 1: Like no one, no one's all this coming.
Speaker 3: And so now when this reporting happened that you know, Zach Wilson was relucking to play, I'm like, tell me a time when a player has really had an option to say I really don't want to right back in there and not get cut, right, That was what was up there that Robert Sawa says, we will cut you or suspend you without pay and basically shame you to where no other team is going to want to touch you to make you look like a quitter, or you're going to come back in and start because we need you, right now we know we've yo yo you back and forth whatever, So it was just multifaceted dysfunction with this. Either Zach Wilson just comes off looking as somebody completely ungrateful, spoiled and doesn't want to play, or he comes off as looking he has every right to feel this way, but at the same time, you're getting paid handsomely. You have to go out and do your job. Do you think, Garrett Wilson some of these guys want to be out there. We see Jonathan Allen with the with the Commanders be like, geez, it sucks going back out there and getting kicked every week. But they are in a profession that they're compensated for most people very handsomely, and a bunch of people would love to have their pain.
Speaker 1: They were dysfunction to go out there and do it.
Speaker 2: It does feel like for you know, the season started with such hope. I've never seen Dan kind of feel that way about his Jets, and it obviously quickly fell off a clip.
Speaker 1: But now the team feels it.
Speaker 2: Feels like last year where there's this fractures and I don't like the fact that, Yeah, I don't like what Zach Wilson I don't like where he's coming from. Not wanting just to go play like anyone should. But if you go and tell a teammate or you seek advice or counsel, you're a young player.
Speaker 1: Again. I feel like a lot of Zach Wilson said that also sounds like spin.
Speaker 4: I feel like for it to be as widespread as it was, it's like, well people knew it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you're right, but it's not if it was a teammate or something like that and then that person went and just told me else right away, it just sort of speaks to like the whole thing is falling apart in such ugly fat.
Speaker 1: A lot of these players, you know, especially skilled players. They've been done with Zach for a year now. Yeah, yep, so you could kind of see why would get out. But it's also it's like it does show and you know, I was saying, Rogers, what has he actually done for my team so far? So frustration with him, but he's right. It's like, if you want to actually be an organization that has it together, the first thing you got to do is stop leaking things to the media and creating more of a circus. Clean up everything. There's so much suggested. Well, and real quick, I'll tell you this.
Speaker 3: Two teams that were on the same disorganization dysfunctional organization track that have tightened it up are the Browns in some ways and the Dolphins. These were two absolutely disastrous franchises. They've got leadership in there that buttoned up the leaks. They parked the clown car away and it can no longer be found. That cannot be said about the Jets right now. And it's look, no one talks about it, but the Giants are actually a more disastrous football team talent wise and things like this same record, but the Jets just outshine them in absolute absurdities in the same yes, the mid absurdity, so that so that the Giants get overlooked for all the all the bad stuff that's happening there.
Speaker 1: And we do this, we do this. I do this every December. I hit this frustration level and then I also have to think to myself, but the Rogers thing had so much the injury blew up everything. So just kind of I'm trying to like take a step back emotional on the show the other day, this is the lost season, and let's see what happens this winter. This is your place to be emotional.
Speaker 4: Not practicing Wednesday and good doesn't seem like there's.
Speaker 1: Everybody take a deep breath. That probably was never happening, to take a step back. It's time to wipe this season away and see if they could fix things next year. Again and again and again. Finally, in the news, my favorite coach, Mike McCarthy, Uh, he had appendix surgery or has that coming up after experiencing abdominal pain Wednesday morning. As a result, he is going to be you know, in a hospital and getting a procedure done. And the hope and the hope in the plan is that he will be coaching Sunday night against the division rival Philadelphia Eagles.
Speaker 2: M Well, I mean, appendicitis is not going to knock Zaddi out of the picture.
Speaker 1: Oh, Zaddi, what's wrong with your insights? I like it? Well, Well, if you must know, Frag's it's a it was an abdominal pain and it's appendicitis. So there you go, get well soon, Saddy. There could be kids listening to this. That's what's happening in the news. Do you have anything, Dad?
Speaker 4: It was you that yeah, you can't that you gotta leave it with with frag.
Speaker 3: You don't want to be the next person to speak Yeah, play by play terms.
Speaker 1: Just let it breathe exactly all right. Let us take a break and then we'll get into everything else. It's time for your boy joining some heroes, Steve watch, I don't even remember this one.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to around the NFL, Steven.
Speaker 1: Wise, there we go, Steve, wish my wife, my mother.
Speaker 4: Like when they're mad at you, guys will say Steven might be even are there?
Speaker 3: It depends in a fluid situation, could be like Steven, or could be like Steve.
Speaker 1: Bring frags back in here? All right? So with Steve, weisch with us. It's I thought, this is a perfect time to bring back one of the war horses uh segments for around the NFL. It's been a while. We've done it on the live show a couple of times, but not it's been a while since been in the studio. Hit it Robbie Why from Inglewood, California.
Speaker 7: It's time for everybody's fave game show, What More Likely?
Speaker 1: Right? Yes? What's more Likely? A game where we present two realities in the NFL. And it's simple, I mean, which one is more likely to be what occurs, and I kept minding the regular season, but it's anywhere you want to go with it.
Speaker 3: Steve, you are a guest, so I defer to you to get us going. Oh, I got no, this is this is a twenty twenty four off season. More likely, okay, right? More likely the Jets pass on a quarterback with their top draft choice, or Robert Sala and Joe Douglas will be the ones making that decision whether to pass.
Speaker 1: Or draft what more likely. Oh, that's a tough one. I thought. I thought on our last show that Sala it was kind of the end of the road for Sala because I thought based on the it was kind of the wonky reporting. It's just a sloppy day that Wilson had told him he didn't want to play and was kind of, you know, putting Sala out directly like that. I don't think that's what happened now that we have more clarity, but I still think if they lose out, I think I got a feeling that Woody is gonna potentially act off that. So that said, if they have a top five pick, they got to take a quarterback. Right, this is a tough I don't think so.
Speaker 4: I think it's the quarterback's form going more likely Salah or wait, it's more likely Salar Douglas are making the pick or not.
Speaker 1: Making the decision whether to use the pick. Okay, I guess I'm gonna go quarterback. Then. I don't think either is particularly likely.
Speaker 4: I think either Salah or Douglas or both will be gone if I have to guess. But I actually think Aaron Rodgers being there. I guess it depends. I'm thinking first round. If Aaron Rodgers is there, he's not going anywhere. They're all in. They're still all in. He answered the question about the coaches a little more noncommittal to Pat McAfee this week then I maybe would have expected.
Speaker 1: It wasn't.
Speaker 4: It wasn't anything noteworthy, but it wasn't like a full throated I'm the boss, they better be here. It was kind of like, that's out of my hands, and to me, he's there, So you're not taking a first round quarterback.
Speaker 1: Maybe you take a developmental guy later.
Speaker 2: I tend to think the ladder that Slah and Douglas will be making the decision. The reason I think they'd stick around. They look like a disaster. To all of us on the outside. I don't know what what the owner thinks on the inside. There's been so much change there. It's like the flying the ointment is with Aaron Rodgers attached on, Nathaniel Hackett attached to big chunks of the like certain wide receivers that are there. It's like, if you want to keep Aaron Rodgers happy over the offseason, which was a chore for the Packers, do you want to it's it looks bad right now.
Speaker 1: But if a.
Speaker 2: Whole new org comes in and blows a lot up and says we'll build around erst Rodgers, but forgett Nathaniel Hackett, forget all his buddies.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that's what you do with one more year of Rodgers.
Speaker 2: Do you try to say Sala's defense has been good, the thing he was brought in to do, he's done a pretty good job with do you give it one more try?
Speaker 1: Well, he's brought in to be the head coach. That's part of the problem, Like he's all right, he needs to be more. They need to be more globally successful. At this point after three years, I'll say it's more likely all they have to do is like fall into one or two wins, and I think that will give Johnson enough to say, all right, just wipe this path, wipe this whole thing. They lose out, I think everyone's gone. Here's why I think Salo and Douglas are back.
Speaker 3: Who's going to take that job knowing that you got Aaron Rodgers for one year and you're not taking a quarterback to build on?
Speaker 1: Well, he could also spend it. You know, you got Aaron Rodgers in a very good defense. Ways to again, who's going to take that job for one year? A lot of job openings too. We'll get to that a little bit later in the show. All right, here's another one. What's more likely. The Kansas City Chiefs get the number one seed in the AFC and they've gotten how many years.
Speaker 3: In a row?
Speaker 1: Now? Five? Five in a row. Patrick Mahomes has played very few road games in his life. Zero postseason games. I believe, what about the New England AFC title game? I was in Kansas Yeah, I was in Kansas City. Wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Never played on the road of the playoffs. So the Chiefs get the number one seed to keep that streak intact for Mahomes or the struggling, struggling Kansas City offense does not score more than thirty one points the rest of this season.
Speaker 2: What more likely thirty one points in a game versus total. That would be a real problem.
Speaker 1: That way, Okay, they would not hurt the playoffs. The Patriots would challenge you on that one.
Speaker 4: I'll jump in and say it's it's more likely they don't score thirty one points just because they have the Bills this week, and maybe I'm projecting too hard. I think that's a tough game for them. I've been high on the Bills making a stretch run that would get them to five losses at that point. The Ravens in the Dolphins, but I'm thinking, especially the Ravens are are in pretty good shape. I think that I just haven't seen a team. And I know they scored thirty one against the Raiders. They did it against the Chargers, they did it against the Bears, so it's happened three times a seas.
Speaker 1: They have some pretty.
Speaker 4: Easy matchups at the end of the season Raiders, Bengals, Chargers, and they might be needing to play.
Speaker 1: So those are pretty bad defenses.
Speaker 4: It's close, but I'm gonna go more likely they don't get the one seed.
Speaker 1: Okay, hmm, that's tough, though.
Speaker 2: I just believe that they're gonna wind up with the one seed somehow. I look at the other games though they've scored in the last five, like nine, seventeen, nineteen, and twenty one. I don't see their offense like figuring this out just because there's five more games like part with the part of the year where it's like they kind of do what they do well and what they don't do well.
Speaker 3: I don't know how you fix it with the personnel not changing. Yeah, I mean I think they get to thirty one. I think the AFC goes to Florida, either Miami or Jacksonville. Whoa, yeah, I mean, look.
Speaker 1: At the Dolphins schedule.
Speaker 3: They should They should click off another three before things get really nitty gritty, raven schedules are murderers row.
Speaker 1: And so I think they get to thirty one.
Speaker 3: I think they have a couple of big games, and also checking the previous thirty one, I think there were some defensive scores in there too. I think the question was the Chiefs offense, but I still think the Chiefs offense ends up getting a thirty one.
Speaker 1: They will not get the number one.
Speaker 4: Seed, although I am looking at the tie breakers, which is a point in the Chiefs favor.
Speaker 1: Yes, they always seem to find a way. Yeah, Nixon one on the conference.
Speaker 4: So they've had three losses and they beat Miami the NFC North and.
Speaker 1: They beat Miami, and they beating Jackson behead to head.
Speaker 4: Right, and they have the headset wins. So I maybe already would change my answer, but too late. Need an official answer now. Now I'm going to go over to thirty one points.
Speaker 1: All right, Greg, you're up?
Speaker 4: Okay, I will look at the MVP Award and say, a non quarterback wins the MVP or the Bengals make the playoffs?
Speaker 1: What more likely?
Speaker 2: I think it's more likely that we should cross check these before the show because something similar will be coming up. But I think it's more likely the Bengals. You have to get the playoffs. Pivot now, I will not be pivoted. Wrote this the thing on the fly, or you know, performers.
Speaker 1: Let's see, let's see, well, Cincinnati six and six, Uh, they are obviously in the mix from that standpoint tenth right now, tenth right now? They win the tiebreaker over Buffalo based on the head to head win percentage right now, Denver's ahead of them, Houston's ahead of them, Indies ahead of them, Cleveland's ahead of them. They're two and six. They get to play a bunch of those teams.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but again you're you're looking at this rationale versus Yeah, what the other more likely scenario?
Speaker 1: Right? So the other one? All these teams I'm mentioning, don't they don't frighten me? And like how they gonna hop scotch past them? I think this is more likely. And I don't want to, you know, sniff too much of the Jake Brown and glue right now, but that was a fun watch and I'd like to see where that goes. And uh yeah, Tyreek CMC. Probably those two guys, those are the two guys. I just think a quarterback is gonna take that, whether it's Brock or two or whomever. So yeah, I think it's more likely Cincinnati finds away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, more likely the Bengals get and they're not going to give the MVP to a non quarterback.
Speaker 4: But do you keep people keep saying that as if they are not the people that are deciding. So it's not let's decide it we're the people, Rick, Why.
Speaker 1: Do you think there's an offensive Player of the Year to give it to the non quarterback?
Speaker 4: I get it, but I keep hearing that. But it's from the people that, like, essentially that decide it because all these are like if we and by I mean the media, like they kind of we kind of decide on some level, it becomes consensus. If if people are just stumping for it, then.
Speaker 1: It because Bob Glaber wouldn't let us into their pro football right.
Speaker 4: Well, I get it, though, but I think it's the people that have microphones, people on on shows as influential as this one, and people as influential as you.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, look, if Tyreek killgoes were two thousands, like wow, that's never happened before, But he wouldn't got two thousands without TUA.
Speaker 1: So two is the m v P.
Speaker 3: That's just how it's just it's just how it goes because there are definitely people non quarterbacks. You should have been MVPs before because some people were arguing, how can you be an m VP if you're not.
Speaker 1: The best player on your team? I think that's legit? Well yeah, is it? Though? I mean, who are some of the people who have won it.
Speaker 3: I guarantee you right now is if Dak Prescott wins m VP, is he the best player on their team this year?
Speaker 2: But that's I think he's the most Now you're throwing the most valuable person on the Cowboys though, Dak Prescott.
Speaker 1: That which every quarterback is Tyreek Hill this year.
Speaker 2: That's the that's the argument that no like non quarterback is going to win it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, then that's why. Then that's why the quarterback is going to win the award. Even if the Bengals finished tenth.
Speaker 4: It is a unique year that there aren't any totally crazy quarterback seasons that you know are are which I'm loving people away, but maybe it ends up being Dak.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 4: I think that's more he's like fourth or fifth right now, and McCaffrey's like seventh.
Speaker 1: I think they're not waiting to get the people. By the way, good one.
Speaker 4: Yards per route run, which is kind of a weird step, but yards per route run, yes, Like how many yards do you get every time you just go out for a route?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: Tyreek Hill this year is about four and a quarter yards per route run. That is more than a yard, So that's like twenty five. It's more than a yard better than any wide receiver in the last decade, and basically more than a yard better than any wide receiver ever.
Speaker 1: Holy I mean like in the last like.
Speaker 4: Twenty years in the next closest people, by the way, our Tyreek Hill like last year, like, but still like he's this year of his season. Is that far ahead in terms of like efficiency of him on the field than like it does?
Speaker 2: I feel like every time I'm watching Tyreek Hill catch the ball, he's twenty five to thirty yards downfield frying a secondary personnel.
Speaker 1: One of the smartest personnel moves that any player made in the last decade is Tyreek saying I'm not going to the Jets. I want to go to the Dolphins, And I don't know if Mike McDaniel is there yet. It might have been maybe, but that couldn't have worked out better for him in all ways.
Speaker 2: All right, this will be a study in relativism because there is a similar concept here.
Speaker 1: But let's just go with it.
Speaker 2: Jake Browning, what's more likely Jake Browning goes Brock Purdy on our ass and in nothing short of a visual feast on the gridiron, unfurls four wins down the stretch, falling in a thriller to the Chiefs they don't get that one, but executing backup on backup crime and wins over Minshew's Colts, Josh D's Vikings, Trubisky Steelers, and Flacco's Browns. It goes ten and seven and prance into the wild card or before he is named Coach of the Year. DeMeco Ryans and his star pupil C J. Stroud take out the Ravens and Dolphins in January before facing the Chiefs in the AFC title tilt TBD on that result, but the world becomes attuned to the unusual skill set of former PFF numbers bod turnplay calling wizard Bobby Slowick, who arm in arm with Ryan's wins Assistant Coach of the Year, Stroud no shocker, wins Offensive Rookie of the Year, and the three immediately by a string of Houston by four dealerships to funnel passive income into their checking accounts for years to come. Stroud also becomes the new face of a Dell computer ad campaign, attempting to tell the nation, hey, guys, desktop computers are cool again. Clear off that oak desk and plant one of our three foot by two foot hulking technology centers where that quick book used to be. In the ad, Stroud comes across as a capable and easy to believe thespian.
Speaker 1: M think you what I'm going to just because C J.
Speaker 3: Shroud, you can't go to Dell because it's a Microsoft league.
Speaker 1: That's a good point. Steve just knows these things. I mean, I'm just saying, Nail.
Speaker 3: I mean, look, you know, you put a whole bunch of of you know, addendums on there, which which nicks out the latter scenario.
Speaker 4: Right, if it was just Texans making the conference title game, uh, compared to the Bengals winning four straight and then making the playoffs at ten and seven.
Speaker 1: I mean you could base it there if you they were very well.
Speaker 4: I mean I can't because you read a lot of specific things that I I personally don't think.
Speaker 1: I mean, even if the desk is.
Speaker 4: Not oak, right, it all falls apart, Yeah, it all falls problem.
Speaker 2: I would say this though, like Coach of the Year, Assistant Coach of the Year for what he's done with Stroud and Bobby Slog and Stroud winning what he should win, like if not MVP at some un some level, he keeps going.
Speaker 1: But offensive Rookie of the Year or player this does. This is my principle that all segments with Cessler all end up in the same exact place. There's like everything kind of just funnels to the same spot every time I I do, like, this is your new thing. You're the Texans of your team. They're not gonna win the division, They're gonna win a playoff game. Good luck to you. I hope it works out.
Speaker 4: I think that's more likely that at Bengals, Yeah, winning four out of five, which which also could happen.
Speaker 1: But the Texans, we take it two, sucked in by the Browning thing. It was one game.
Speaker 4: This is a weak year. I'm It's reminded me more and more. I keep thinking of twenty eleven, which I always think about that there were no good teams twenty eleven. Yeah, by the time you got to the playoffs. And I don't think we're there because the forty nine ers are great, Cowboys are great. But in the AFC, we'll see how it all shakes out. Like you could see a surprising team in the AFC Championship game would not be crazy.
Speaker 1: I see you trying to minimize that second Giants title. I see what you do. I multiple shows in a row.
Speaker 4: My point, it's not the Giants. When I said it off game, I believe you've said it many times. I've let it pass each time. No, now that you've said it for the third time. That was one of the worst Patriots teams of the Belichick era, and they were like a driveway from winning the Super Bowl. It was a huge disappointment. But that was a bad, bad Patriots team. One of the worst defenses in the league, and they were like a drive away from winning the Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: Some years just seven teams. Oh, there were no good teams. So that must mean the team that won the Super Bowl actually wasn't that good that year. He got that point, you got him. He did go like nine and.
Speaker 2: So it became better and better though as their pass rush by the Super you know, but they were the worst rushing team I think in the league too.
Speaker 1: Steve, they were.
Speaker 4: They were outscored that season. I think it's fair to say they weren't like a dominant team.
Speaker 1: I mean what they weren't. They weren't an all time great team. But that was a great run it was a fun Super Bowl. I enjoyed the playoffs a lot of good games, well save for the twenty eleven podcast with me thirty second.
Speaker 4: I think in Dvoa defensively the Patriots that year.
Speaker 1: Were we even using that metric back then?
Speaker 4: I was, hey, now I think they go they go back to time with the two day All right, Steve, next one.
Speaker 1: Well, this dovetails beautifully into my life.
Speaker 3: More likely Bill Belichick retires because so few teams pursue him.
Speaker 1: Oh wow in the offseason to be their head coach. Whoa or.
Speaker 3: Mac Jones remains in New England in twenty twenty four as their quarterback?
Speaker 1: Oh man, geez.
Speaker 4: I mean see that was a good one. Does he have to start Mac Jones?
Speaker 1: Or easy? That the team? You know, there's no starter, he's on the team. I go back Jones? Then, yeah, I find it. I would find it almost impossible to think. And sometimes you know, fans and analysts and people on the outside aren't seeing what's really going on inside the league that maybe there wouldn't be a big market for Belichick, But the idea that he would almost be blackballed out of the league.
Speaker 3: No, no, I do blackball honest to god, do you think there are gonna be teams lining up?
Speaker 1: Do you think the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. I think absolutely there's an owner out there or six that would say, wait, I would love to have Bill Belichick runing my team.
Speaker 4: Explain this facial expression Steve is making on Oh.
Speaker 1: No, there was. There's definitely an ulterior motive behind this one one.
Speaker 2: I think we're going to have as many openings from the coaching angles we've had in a long time.
Speaker 1: It just feels like we're heading there.
Speaker 2: But I do wonder because like every like belichick biography talks about how it was drilled into his mind and heart and Cleveland, the ownership matters so so much so like some of these teams that are out there that might want him, he may not want and reverse. The only thing is there is that Don Schulla record sitting out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah you know, and I know people say he wants it like this, but does he want it that bad to kind of go through? Because first off, if you've seen how great he's developed quarterbacks in the past couple of years, why would a team like Carolina want You're stuck with Bryce Young, right, Okay, So then all right, Tampa, they're gonna go through a cap cleansing. They're gonna have to get a quar like, are you gonna bring up maybe like that's.
Speaker 1: One of the few teams.
Speaker 3: But of all of these other things, I think the fact that you said mark ownership is huge to him. Everyone's gonna want the Chargers job. And that's where like Ben jons or someone's gonna come coach this quarterback again.
Speaker 1: That's what I think.
Speaker 3: Guys like Ben Johnson, believe it or not, dan Quinn, there's gonna be some defensive coaches, guys like Dan Quinn. They're gonna be on shorter list than Bill Belichick. So that's why I think this, to me is the bigger story, not how the partying is going to happen, but how many teams actually are gonna give him a call?
Speaker 1: Do you want to come be our coach?
Speaker 3: I think there'd be more teams saying come be our director of football operations. And I could see a team like the Giants doing that, especially since they take his advice so much.
Speaker 1: Some of their coach hirings and other hirings, come come run our overall operation. That's his roots, right, instead of being the head coach.
Speaker 4: Well, and he has a longtime assistant is coaching the team. Yeah, they always sort of forget about what the Belichick tree.
Speaker 1: That Davo was there for like fourteen years. Yeah, and you know, I think he Belichick and Parcells' careers are so intertwined. That's what Parcels did at the end. He was off the sideline and running from upstairs as well. I could see that. But he else, he's such a like Belichick's such a student and a lover of the sport, like having the opportunity to have that number one. So was Don Schull, Like how many people came after Don Schule? Right, so is Tom Lantry.
Speaker 4: Belichick will require an ownership, humbling himself a little bit, which is not always easy for ownership to do, and possibly clearing out the entire higher front office structure that exists. And that's hard, that's a pain in the butt. Maybe people don't want to do that just and I can't quite imagine Belichick's like, oh yeah, I'll go work for you know, Scott Fitter.
Speaker 1: It's like that's that's not happening. No, no, no, no, all right, here we go. What's more likely? I don't know this one. We'll see, We'll see what you guys say about this one. What's more likely the Green Bay Packers, Mark's ears perked up steal the NFC North, where the Buffalo Bills steal the AFC East? WHOA what more likely Bills? Why?
Speaker 2: I just believe that we haven't seen what have we just moved on because I don't. I think it's kind of self explanatory the answers, like they've been doing this for years, and like you'd need the Dolphins to kind of collapse obviously.
Speaker 1: Play week eighteen. They played eighteen. The Bills beat the Dolphins forty eight twenty, so they would clinch the head to head if they beat them a week eighteen.
Speaker 4: So that's got a TI. They got to get to within one.
Speaker 1: They just have to tie him in the standings that the free up is rich.
Speaker 2: But I do feel like we're gonna get another version of the Bills. So I've been buried down out of this buy.
Speaker 1: In the Detroit. They may be a little more vulnerable than we could have thought a month ago. And the Packer is heating up.
Speaker 2: I mean, they're all getting They're also separated by three games, so you.
Speaker 1: Know, I I would see.
Speaker 3: I would see the Packers making the run because they're starting to play in all facets, especially defensively. Great situation of football, Jordan Love looks real. I don't think the Lions will collapse. I think they're getting ready to regather. But I think Miami's is gonna go away to click off, you know, the rest of the way.
Speaker 1: They may lose once, it'd be a pretty huge collapse.
Speaker 4: Well, they have Titans Jets the next two weeks, which you know you they're going to be heavy favorites, but then they have Cowboys Ravens. Their Bills in this scenario would have to run the table. They would have to win every game. I think they're capable of it. But at Dallas home for Cowboys, that's that's tough.
Speaker 1: What if they split those games?
Speaker 3: They play four out of five at home, and you better believe they are gonna they are going to be playing for home field advances.
Speaker 1: Right the Dolphins anywhere else.
Speaker 4: Unless the Bills went out, the Dolphins would have to stub their toe against the Jets or the Titans and lose their hard games. They'd have to lose three out of four before even facing the Bills. There, I think the likelihood of one of these things happening is is probably greater than people think. I don't have a hot take on either, but to me, the Lions are a little more crickety, uh a word, So I'm gonna go down. It's more like a rickety yeah, just like the Foundation is a little rickety defense. Their defense is not yeah like they were quite like, you know, when was the last time they played a good defensive game.
Speaker 1: Like it's it's been a week. It's like it's it's like a fortress that's on like wooden planks, like you know, rickey at the base. Yeah, it's like, I know, I know what rickey is, but like, is that the I don't know is that the Lions? I mean, I know you were you went crickety, So it's yeah, that doesn't make any sense whatsoever. From too many Mighty.
Speaker 4: You get, you get blown out, you get the doors blown off you by the Ravens. You have to win on the last possession against the Chargers, you know, you have to win on the last second against the Bears, same thing against the Saints. I mean, these are not great teams. So just a little ricky ye rickety Greg, This one's pretty simple. Kyler Murray is the Cardinals quarterback next year, or a rookie quarterback is the Cardinals.
Speaker 1: Quarter what more likely?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought that these you know, it's they're they're genuinely looking at Kyler Murray's like from with new fresh eyes. You've got all new people there, and they they've done it quietly, like the tank beyond the tanking thing. This year they already like accrued a bunch of draft picks in the previous draft. I always thought they were like, no matter what happened with this season, they were in good position to leverage those to get the quarterback that they want. I think new coach, new quarterback buys you, time buys you years. Like new coach attached to a Kyler Murray experience that's always been kind of up and down and weird, is a little more paeriless. You could get assets for him. I think he's very tradable, and I think they're going to go rookie. I think it's like, let's we're starting this experience over.
Speaker 1: I put Kyler in the same category Steve as justin fields where they have maybe some control of their faith, but they are going to have to ball out to end the season and change some minds in that building. I think it's more likely he does, though, get traded and they start over.
Speaker 3: I think more likely Kyler's back. I mean everything I've heard is had him and the OC really get along. They've kind of designed some things. And look at Kyler Murray's win loss record when he's on the field. He wins ball games given two this year. Yeah, I mean, he wins ball games. So I think it could be a situation to buy the more time to say, let's get other pieces around him. We've got one more full year to evaluate Kyler. But if we've got to move off, move off of him after twenty twenty four, we at least have pieces around him where we can go out into free agency or something, or trade up and get a quarterback because now we've got all the other pieces we need, or more of the pieces that we need to be competitive.
Speaker 2: It's like it's telling that they, you know, with very clear eyes and common said he's going to come back and play this season. We're going to get a look at him, versus you know, some sort of phony thing where oh, we're not sure he's ready, and he's quietly never appeared.
Speaker 4: The contract makes it trickier to trades. I think it's I'll be talking about him a little on NFL Plus this Thursday, and yeah check it out. I think the way he's playing, he's cementing his spot. I agree, because he's just playing too well that they're not gonna want to deal with what's behind do or not? Two and no, by the way, it's a great receiver draft. Maybe you have the third pick. Maybe Marvin Airs like you could give him a nice weapon.
Speaker 2: All right, Last one, Mark, Okay, uh, all right, A this is a three parter and it's not as long as the other one.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna make you see it for four minutes. A.
Speaker 2: The Super Bowl features a backup quarterback, okay, not a not a person you went anythink wit your starter?
Speaker 1: Okay, there's a lot of that going on.
Speaker 2: Or either one of two people, Dan or Mark pass away from what the NFL reports as natural causes while sitting through Steelers Patriots on Thursday night or Dan Mark okay yeah, or pros pro reporter and noted wine connoisseur Steve Why this offseason announces the unveiling of his own handcrafted pino noir it's coming.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a zesty, rich blend of northern Californian grapes. Wine shrinkers go utterly bonkers for this new offering entitled First and Drunk.
Speaker 1: Oh what you know what, I think Steve and his wife are a little bit too classy to have drunk in the title.
Speaker 2: I thought about that, but I think it's a marketplace. I mean, you when you go look for wine and you're with like some friends, you kind of it's the label, it's the name, and you're like, you try that.
Speaker 1: At least it's Steve, you know, holding a football on the cover, were drunk.
Speaker 3: We could tell it in you know, your your corner market story and bodega's around, you know, if we're putting drunk on there. And by the way, I've been getting the grapes in the Central Valley, that's where the pino grapes grow.
Speaker 1: My seeless guy there we go, you know, challenged the concept and he came drunk with Steve. And in the past we've all been there, so I'm not saying there, you know, getting loose and having a good time. I I think that's the most likely that Steve has some type of wine operation in the future. I hope you and I survived Thursday night football.
Speaker 3: I am concerned, but I think that's the least likely, and I think it is.
Speaker 1: Certainly possible we get a backup in the super Bowl, but I'm holding out hope we're going to get a super power matchup healthy stars.
Speaker 4: I guess i'd go back up just because you could also get it have him injured, like in the playoffs or conference championship. And I just think Steve's at a point in his career. Hm, he doesn't need to be adding jobs right now, do you. I'm and you've got a lot going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's there's too much horticulture and arming that have to just like, I just feel like that's too mud. But did you put a time on this. This could be the you know, I said this.
Speaker 2: Offseason, and I think it'd be a situation where you're not, you know, stomping grapes like that news person the felting.
Speaker 1: You're like you you're old.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you'd outsource the operation, but it would be like your name and your powerful brain.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, I mean that might be possible. I'm still gonna go back up quarterback. As you have visions of nick Foles in my head, so it could possibly happen.
Speaker 4: How about Teddy Bridgewater for the Lions there in the Super Bowl?
Speaker 1: Teddy off this year? Well, a lot of teams could use it, Teddy right about now? The Lions they draft, they have it. They haven't needed one draft. Good to everybody, super Bowl week? All right, good stuff good? What's more likely? Do we have the grapes? Lady? By the way I stole on the board, I don't think you had grapes late? What do you mean, I don't think so? Do you mean so long? Isn't that like seven years? It wasn't actually that long ago? Really we used it for a segment. I can't remember what it was.
Speaker 3: It's a grizzly say. It wasn't that long ago. Actually, I feel like it was just a couple of years ago.
Speaker 1: No, it was this year. It All right, Let's get to that Thursday night football game that Mark and I will be co helming on around the NFL tomorrow evening. It is the New England Patriots two and ten traveling to Pittsburgh to face the Steelers. Steelers. Gotta have it, Steelers, you know, Steve as Tomlins want to do after a really bad game. He comes after the team hard, he puts himself in front of the line. I need to be better, but we were JV and I just wonder, here's my curates because I almost want the game to be really bad. Now, me too. Yeah, so it's like, do the Pittsburgh Steelers play down to the level of their opponent with a backup quarterback themselves? Now, Mitch Trubisky, I could see this one getting real grizzly, low scoring, going down to the wire.
Speaker 3: Maybe let's give me the Pets too much credit? Yes, it is okay. You know, so we were talking about stomping grapes. So let's let's pretend that uh Tomlin and the Steelers defense is the winemaker. They are going to be dialing it up to stomp some grapes. Okay, you know, Bailey's happy. You can see a lot of Alex Highsmith T. J.
Speaker 1: Watt.
Speaker 3: It's not gonna be kind because the Patriots can't move the ball. There it is, Bailey's happy. Bailey's see you got to outsource the grape and outsource.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, there will be there will be two defensive scores by Pittsburgh.
Speaker 1: Two to fire up here, fantasy ds.
Speaker 3: Hey, you know Mark those at the Browns week two what happened, so so it will it will turn out to be something sloppy like that.
Speaker 1: But defensively, I think the Steelers, no, this is one and no Remondre Stevenson. That was the only thing they could do him. He's got a high brain. I don't know if we're going to see them again. Here it is the last five weeks, Patriots scoring seventeen seventeen. I don't even know if there's a defensive score here, seventeen seventeen six seven zero.
Speaker 4: Right, you mentioned the over at loss was thirty. The games that they've played the last three weeks haven't gone over seventeen because their defense is playing pretty well. They actually have the number one rush defense in the league in terms of yards per carry allowed. So that is what Pittsburgh's best at is running the ball, but offensive and Zappie was an upgrade even they It shows you how bad they are that they didn't They literally didn't score point and Zappi was unquestionably a little better than mac Jones had been. They had two drives, which really just to me typified where the Patriots are at a thirteen play drive that didn't past thirty and then an eleven play drive that ended at the forty three.
Speaker 1: That's that is where they are.
Speaker 4: Whoa, it is just yeah, I'm gonna go Steelers sixteen Patriots eleven.
Speaker 1: They covered the to get on the board.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I mean I think that's how it projects. That's why probably will be like thirty one or nothing is like I would even, that's that's under that's under even. But when it's like that, I mean, the Patriots just are so inept and hard to watch on offense, Like they've gone forty one straight possessions without a passing touchdown.
Speaker 1: We're gonna get twenty five carries from Ezekiel Elliott. It's gonna be a lot of Ezekiel Elliott.
Speaker 2: Ye. Yeah, I mean it's I need a lot of Alex Heismith too. I mean they've given him twelve sacks the Patriots the last three weeks, and like right, he's been their more numbers wise productive to ass Rusher. The one thing he doesn't is get rid of the ball.
Speaker 1: He just sort of hold he holds it. It's it's not gonna it's not gonna go here. Here's here's the good news, everybody. And again I said it on Monday, and I'll say it again. You're thinking yourself. I listen to ATN every week. I listen to every episode. But you know what, I'm gonna clear my Thursday night played my Friday morning, but I'm not gonna listen to that the recap of that game. No, no, no mistake, because me and they are going to cook something up as an auxiliary seg as long as you survive. Well, that's true, but that would.
Speaker 2: Be just sharing memories of what such a flexible operation. That early in the week we had come up with what would have been a killer seg, but then the news cycle forced us to talk about some of that in real time when we bring the news to them very quickly.
Speaker 1: So we're just pitching.
Speaker 2: We're coming up with new ideas now and we're you know, we're stomping, we're drinking the first and drunk.
Speaker 1: We're doing all right. Don't don't blow Cunningham in the game. Yeah, it sounds like he's been taking some snap.
Speaker 4: Don't blow this Belichick because I want that top two pick and he has you know, it would be a callback performance. Does some very big like owning of Mike Tomlin and this Steelers operation moments which dotted much of the two thousands.
Speaker 3: Belichick's go on, love smith Man, He's like, I'm not making this pick man, I am not giving them.
Speaker 1: He is trying to get this win, all right. So check out Thursday night football on Amazon Prime and of course game coverage anchored by Colleen Wolfe not with us today on NFL Network. Okay, here we go, before we say goodbye, always fun. Steve's here, it's special. Let's open up the mail bag, and uh, you know this is right all right? Uh? Producer Eric who, by the way, producer Eric is more likely to start for the Patriots next season than Mac Jones. I feel confident saying that yes or no, well not more, I know.
Speaker 3: I mean he's missing a large part of one of his fingers.
Speaker 1: But not his throwing finger. You just got to spin it with the right hand. It's an is it No, it is your right hand. It is my right hand.
Speaker 7: But don't they say it's the the index finger that is the impourant one.
Speaker 1: Did you know that our producer lost part of his thumb in a slicing accident in the kitchen. I didn't and yeah, it has a growth on that. By the way, it's dude. I was actually having to talk to my wife about it yesterday.
Speaker 7: It's it's looks pretty normal, Like it looks like has a little gumby, little bit misshapen.
Speaker 1: But yeah, but did you know.
Speaker 2: That body parts grow back if they're cut off. I didn't know that. I baffled me from the start.
Speaker 1: I mean I didn't. I know, like, you know your liver can regenerate.
Speaker 7: I didn't if I took it to the nub, like the knuckle that I'm presuming I wouldn't be like in the same situation. But you know, I took off a slice and it is the I looked at the picture the other day of the actual incident and based off that to this it's night and day.
Speaker 1: It's kind of crazy, to be honest. Any chance you could grow a second thumbnail? That would be something We'll check back in a couple of months. I'm holding out, hope, I'm holding out. Yeah, we could charge for that side. Side All right, let's get to it. Eric, first question up. All right, this is from a death metal Minivan. Niners are clearly the best team, but the universe refuses to let Kyle Shannan have nice things. So how are they eventually going to lose? I do think the Niners are the best team, but is it it's a little bit too much to say, like, oh, what could possibly get in the way? You know, there are some really good teams in the NFC alone atop that conference.
Speaker 4: I think for maximum pain it's of Ravens forty nine Ers super Bowl rematch. Oh yes, so that you can just like relive, because that to me seemed it wouldn't be painful necessarily for Shanahan related to the forty nine Ers, but for the fan base to have the same team kind of beat you. Maybe it's in the exact same way, you know, where they get down inside the ten yard line late and they throw.
Speaker 2: F we'd be fresh pain to lose to the Chiefs, which just happened under Shanahan.
Speaker 1: That's true too, so I think, yeah, you get you get there all the way. That's how I see. That'd be tough to I can't deal with it, can you? Just pictures like stone faced Mike Shanahan with that shock of white hair and the luxury suite on the Super Bowl just looking down at the sun, like do not disappoint me again. I have multiple titles. Do one on your own, like one of those things. Yeah, I could see that, I mean based on yeah, if that were this, you see that, Steve, Yeah, I could absolutely see it.
Speaker 3: The Most Painful Ways or rock Party you get hurt again the NFC cham two.
Speaker 4: Don't put that energy in the air, Steve, all right. Next up, then we get Sam Darnold starting to.
Speaker 1: Kevin McCarthy asks who will be the vaunted team no one wants to meet in the playoffs from the NFC and a FC this season. So this is a team that is I guess to make this work is right now on the outside looking in right.
Speaker 4: Well, it's just sort of the to me, the Bills pop up as like you don't want.
Speaker 3: A team that has to get hot, and like really not the number one seed right now?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: I mean, I I've already I think it's Texans personally. I think during the keep just going one playoff when you said maybe more, I said two in that in that scenario that they went to the a FC title game, maybe they didn't say what would happen though?
Speaker 1: And Green I guess green Bay would work as the backers have high level quarterback play. Yeah, a couple of weeks ago, I would have been, you know, super into the Vikings in this case, now we got to see what Dobbs looks like. But think about this though, don't get down two down on the Vikings. I know it's been rough couple weeks. The team around the NFL is getting Justin Jefferson back and that is going, Yeah, it maybe be a difference maker and they get hot again, and yeah, the d's so much better with Flores this year. All right, what's next? Alright? This is from White Hans Vender Morrow. Can I nominate Tua to be considered for the Superstar Club debate next summer? At current time, which QB would be considered to take off the list? All Right, Steve, I'm gonna say, I know you have a connection to Tua, so I want to tee you up on this one. The Superstar Club, Steve, is an article I put out every summer on NFL dot Com where it's a zero sum game. If I put someone into the Superstar Club, I have to take someone out. So here's who's currently in the Superstar Club. If you are going to consider taking putting two in Josh Allen Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert, Jalen Hurts, Lamar Jackson, Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers? Is this based on just like whatever the upcoming season?
Speaker 3: Kind of like how we choose the one hundred for the upcoming year, but we reflected back on what they've done the previous year. So I'll take Aaron Rodgers off, right? Yeahs off, But.
Speaker 1: It's kind of easy in a way.
Speaker 4: But he is such a superstar as he's you know, made sure to remain throughout.
Speaker 3: Hey after seeing two on the Man cast Rock the Guitar, right, he's very versatile. Was there surprising person?
Speaker 1: Oh? I took out Dak last year? Frank Okay, I gotta put Dak in too, So I gotta take somebody else. Yeah, I don't know, if I don't know if I can't Dawphins.
Speaker 4: Fans hate it, but I feel like I still need a little more from it here down.
Speaker 1: I think the rest of his season will tell.
Speaker 4: Her superstar because his his wide receivers kind of the superstar and his coach.
Speaker 1: You put him in the rock party category? No, no, but which name am I taking out? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Rogers would be a good one, but I would maybe put dak if dak and when he.
Speaker 1: Takes no shame in that one, no shame in that one. And I don't throw it out there. I know nobody wants to even talk about this.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, Herbert, I mean he's yeah, it's like it's been a the we're super I.
Speaker 4: Mean, he's the one in the he's got commercials, he's got TV commercials, that magnetic subway.
Speaker 1: It's left.
Speaker 2: Not his personal skills that have like changed this year though. I think it's just he's in a mess.
Speaker 1: It's almost show. It's time to show. And I think this twelve inch foot long is gonna be delicious. They know where you're going with that? All right? Next up? All right, Eric Blazell, I think I got that right. What do you think? Mark Blasil Blasil Eric, let us know who is the most under the radar week Elite off season free agency signing. I like this one a lot. Greg, This is your world because you do the top one oh one. Who is the one that kind of maybe you had lower in the list and then ended up being a star this year? Who is it?
Speaker 4: I went back to look at the list in that top twenty is terrible compared to like twenty through fifty.
Speaker 1: About Bobby Okerke, I don't know Hurricane Kaoke.
Speaker 4: We haven't said his name much on this program, but he has been dynamite.
Speaker 1: We mentioned maybe epcom. Yeah, the Colts has been great. They all have to be very difficult.
Speaker 4: Also, Zach Allen for the Bronco although I had I had him right high, but he doesn't get a lot of pop and he's been fantastic.
Speaker 2: I mean, to be fair, Travalta didn't know how to say that women's name so that it fits.
Speaker 1: With the first All right, what's next? Jesse Bates, by the.
Speaker 4: Way, that's Kaiser Way TG Edwards Key.
Speaker 1: Parker Stewart asks, Hey, Dan new dad. Here thoughts on kids growing up as fans of their parents team. I'm a Packer fan, but I live around d C. Is a cool slash fair slash acceptable to make the kid follow suit with no other connection? Thanks? Uh? Is he like the Orioles or the Nationals or Yeah? So I can only tell you what I did because I'm obviously a New York transplant here in LA and I did not push the Jets on them at all because I knew first of all, the Jets are a very difficult fan experience. And two, if all their friends or fans of you know, a local team, I'm not going to take that away from them. So my eldest son, and you know, the dad juice is still powerful. So it's like they're going to be what his dad. Like my eldest son, I would say, he's kind of a Jets fan. My youngest son is gravitated toward the Chargers, another paying franchise, and they're also building a facility near nearby to where I live. So like I'm like okay with that. And they have a franchise quarterback maybe he's a superstar, maybe he's not. So let them do their own thing. And that's how I've played this because if you try to force it, bad news. Right.
Speaker 4: My initial thought reading this question is kids are have their own minds. Like, you can't make the children necessarily do anything.
Speaker 1: You can try to mold them you wish, it's not the healthy move to do.
Speaker 4: You can try, but it might not be successful. And more importantly, like every kid is different, Like some kids, yeah they there, they might be down with that. Some they're gonna have their own thoughts and then it also could change, like what they like at eight might be very different from what they like at twelve because of because of a lot of things like that, they're gonna have their own opinion. My daughter is diehard Rams and my son is more with the Patriots with me and kind of like it comes and goes or whatever. But they're kind of gonna do what they want to do. I feel like my.
Speaker 2: Dad, let he didn't never put he was a Giants fan, but he never pushed the Giants on me. We watched a lot of Giants games together, and it was just kind of like the doing that with your dad was awesome. But I wouldn't be here if I hadn't gone and picked the Browns back then. A lot of what happened there turned me into turn me onto like writing and journalism and the story of those teams and everything else. It's like, so I think you've got to not get in the way of the destiny of your child, whatever it is.
Speaker 4: You know, Like Walker is a fan of Scott Hansen in Red Zone. That's and his fantasy team that like we just like a lot of kids, that's that's his biggest them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my oldest son, you know, I told him, Hey, when I was a kid, I love the Vikings, and I lived in Minnesota, and so he's decided like the Vikings. But my other two kids, since most of their lives are in Atlanta, they love the Falcons. They love the Atlanta Hawks. But the one thing I do not allow, I do not allow Greg, pardon me, any Celtics frandom in the house.
Speaker 1: It is not allowed.
Speaker 3: I think that here for the Celtics you can go outside, but in the crib not have I like that.
Speaker 2: I think there are things that you would say that won't be part of our family.
Speaker 1: You can't be a fan in my house, Yeah, I can't.
Speaker 4: I pretty much cut put the kebash on Lakers. That was the only thing I really put.
Speaker 1: But it's funny like that kind of is in opposition of everything we were just saying. But there's not.
Speaker 3: No it's off limits, off limits. You cannot have it. It does not work, all right?
Speaker 1: What else, Brandon Laurie, if the NFL started a franchise overseas next season, who would he who would he think would make the best head coach for an international audience? Steve take this one.
Speaker 3: Come on, there's only one answer to this, and he's not coaching in the NFL. Right now, there you go. He's coaching at old miss Lane Kiffin. What how much of a superstar. I'm going ted Lasso here.
Speaker 1: I'm going to.
Speaker 3: Super handsome guy who doesn't care what he says or tweets. He's overseas so he can stick shots and everybody. He would completely engage with the international audience. We know he's you know, he will up and leave whatever. Lane Kiffin, that is a wild one.
Speaker 4: That would spectacular, which I think with Papa is he's like uber American. He is the best and the worst of what our country has to offer.
Speaker 1: Like he would he would represent uh no longer with us. Mike Leach would be a good guy.
Speaker 2: I think I'd go uber American in the sense of like ship Dan Campbell over there and he'd.
Speaker 4: Be out Scones and you know, you know, the hooganism would come back. Yeah, I thought of which, Who knows, maybe he will get a coordinator and a head coaching job someday. Henry's friend Aiden Dirty, the defensive line coach of the Cowboys, who's from London, that's right and is legit. You know, grew up there, played an NFL europe.
Speaker 1: And hometown hero Angle I like having.
Speaker 4: A very successful run here as a position coach, right now, and move.
Speaker 1: Up the ladder. Here we go. It's a good one. Had some hard knocks pop back in the day. All right, a couple more what we got? Oh, Steve, this is another one I picked for you. You you're still working with the Falcons. I'm not. I have ay, so now you you could be completely absolutely objective. Here we go, Tom Marshall, is it the scheme in Atlanta? Or is Kyle Pitch just not lived up to that? He both?
Speaker 3: Because look at man, we can sit there and say, hell, Falcons, you don't know what to do with Kyle Pitch. Well, he's been targeted sixty eight times. He has forty one catches, right, that's twenty seven non catches.
Speaker 1: Now that could be bad throws part of it.
Speaker 3: They still haven't figured out how to fully incorporate him, whereas oh, you know, Allions gets ham Laporte and as a rookie and he's like an anchor of their offense.
Speaker 1: Right, they figured that part out.
Speaker 3: And meanwhile Johnny Smith has twenty fewer targets and only four fewer catches and one more touchdown than Kyle Pitch. Part of that's is on Kyle Pitch, right, He's got to do something better to make himself more of an attractive option and make plays when they come his way. So I think that's a dual issue when it comes to Kyle Pitch in the.
Speaker 1: Fount and he's years into his career.
Speaker 4: I wish I could remember who said it. And he's still only twenty three, which is great. I'd love to see him with a fresh start. He's one of those guys he's going to be the next Sammy Watkins that you're like, he's still twenty seven. We always joked that Sam Hawkins was twenty seven years old for like seven straight years ago, And I wish I remember who had said this, but I looked out for it when they said it that in this last game, Pits is showing some frustrat at times, and the thought was me, he's frustrated about himself, that he is not as explosive.
Speaker 1: Coming out.
Speaker 4: And I do think if you watch, like he still looks like a great athlete, but is he next level crazy athlete that we sort of thought.
Speaker 1: He I don't know. I don't know, all right, last one, last one? Here we go, And it comes from Fox Real so FO so real on X, could you update the current hot butt rankings? Please? All right, So and Greg, Just to qualifier here, I'm not celebrating the job lack of job security for these men, and I know their staff and the family is involved. This is just the reality of the sport. Okay. This is the this is the coaches under fire. Not actually yes, it's more the sound effects.
Speaker 4: Uh well that really I think does It doesn't underscore you the point you made.
Speaker 1: That's show business, all right. So, like I said weeks ago, and I've been proven correct, and I think even Schefter reported on it a couple of weeks back, this could be unprecedented in terms of how many dismissals we have come black Monday and around that, we've already lost two coaches I have. I have a list of ten here, and I'm gonna put in an order of hottest butt to pretty hot butt. Ron Rivera won Yeah, stop me whenever you disagree. Steve Brandon Staley two, Dennis Allen three, Belichick at four, Ebra Flues five, Sola six, Artie Smith seven. Ooh yeah he's not He's not gonna get fired, okay, Todd Bowles eight Rable at nine and he's not gonna get a different situations and John McDermott at ten and the.
Speaker 3: McDermott one's gonna be real and a real interesting one to watch.
Speaker 4: Well, this this doesn't feel like now there are always surprises like Vrabel, you know, fulfilling Patriots fans dreams and like somehow going there and getting traded or something would would would be a.
Speaker 1: Young quarterback man, I don't know if you want to leave.
Speaker 4: I don't think that's gonna happen, like so maybe there is surprise. But then now I look at this list and it's like, actually the over unders round eight, which is normal, right, Uh? I would put Dennis Allen slightly lower than than who are the ones right below?
Speaker 1: And Belichick and Eberflus, they feel like they're.
Speaker 4: Almost certainly I think I think he's whereas Dennis Allen.
Speaker 1: No, I think he's about the final hundred meters of the green miles.
Speaker 4: I tend to agree because I don't think they'll win the division. But if they won the division. But here's the thing, maybe.
Speaker 1: If if you guys are all in that so Rivera's daily, Alan Belichick, ebraflu that's five plus two already give me I forgot about the tour guys. I think he's well, I think he's done a good job.
Speaker 2: But like, is Todd Bowles like a rock solid like sticking around guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I just think it's like it depends who helps becomes available. Sometimes with these situations you have that many openings, how deep are you going into the well?
Speaker 4: And also where do they view their development if they view next year as a little bit of a well they've got do we just want balls to get another chance for that year and then then see.
Speaker 1: That's a lot of years.
Speaker 2: I mean it's like, how like teams don't spend two years just sitting around doing I mean, there wasn't a lot of like a purpose to this Bucks season so far.
Speaker 3: Well, I think I think they felt they had enough veterans and their their cap was in such a way like Okay, let's give this a shot. But they've got to them and the Saints have got to have their final salary cap older player reckoning hung up in the next year or two, and I think that's when you clean everybody out.
Speaker 1: And I'm just gonna say, Arthur Smith, do you think he's got enough rope there to survive three straight seasons without the playoffs, potentially.
Speaker 3: If they go seven to ten, I think for a third straight year, I think he's in trouble. But I think they'll win enough games this year to contend. I think they'll give him an opportunity to get a quarterback. You know, they stifled the process by flirting with the Deshaun Watson stuff one year, and I think, kind of, you know, they didn't, they didn't and then end up not getting him. Yeah, but I think he will get one more year because I think he can coach. I think or you know, organizing the overall team has taken some time, but they get a quarterback, they're going to be They're gonna be a dangerous for.
Speaker 4: Their schedule is quite easy too, It's very but there's a there is a hunger games feel to this the end of this NFC South season because it's Tampa, Atlanta, New Orleans all playing each other and feeling like maybe only one coach you gotta win the division.
Speaker 1: Feel safe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I still think Arthur Blank could be patient with him. He's been He's been patient with most of his head coaches.
Speaker 4: Well luckily for him, I think he's there the most likely they got a game up and they got the most talent Hunger games.
Speaker 1: I would have went with what's that the Japanese Death Show on Netflix? The a little more currents good games, good games. I would have squid games. Is the pop culture refer there? Oh wow? Or we can go classic Lord of the Flies. All right? Uh, Steve, you've said it all. Please plug Steve? Where can people see you? Hear you?
Speaker 3: Rio on Mondays and Thursdays with James Palmer it is the NFL Report on check Out.
Speaker 1: Good guess your stuff? You a good guest, good show.
Speaker 3: This week we'll have al ging Gold and Derwin James along with Steve Smith and Brian balder On Thursday, find us on Roku too, be Pluto and all of your fast channels. Uh.
Speaker 4: And then as a podcast yes.
Speaker 3: And then on Sunday's Game Day preview with Andrew Ceciliano's Cynthia Freeland. I don't know who our fantasy guests will be this week. I think it's Adam Rank, not quite sure, but that's a very good show. Great reporters up to kick off, getting good information there, so good stuff there he is.
Speaker 1: Thanks for having you guys, always a great time. Really fun and we'll be back Thursday with our Thursday triple header. Uh, stay tuned for that until next time. Heed the call. Turn this up in my headphones.
Speaker 8: Steve wash on the ATN podcast and everything is alright, Steve Wesh Oh yeah, yeah, yeah yeah
Speaker 1: That guy I know you're talking about.