Speaker 1: You got that husky kind of old school voice going on today, Sabrina.
Speaker 2: I've had it since the day after we did our last taping. I woke up the next day like, oh okay, wow, and Jordan's been like he's sick again.
Speaker 3: And I'm still sick. I literally am still sick. So they I.
Speaker 2: Don't know if my mine must just be laryngitis, because I'm not like sneezing or coffee or anything like that. I'm just sounding like.
Speaker 1: A Well luckily you don't use your slot machine. Yeah, you don't use your voice for a living.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, it's it's good. Well, I hope you feel okay, I do.
Speaker 2: I do. I'm totally good. I'm tired. I feel like it's been a little bit of a whirlwind lately. Just one thing, ye another every day is like seven things to do, like seven events to get to type of thing is what it feels like. So I'm a little exhausted, but me too, seize the day. I have been bored, that's for sure, so I'd rather I love it crazy busy then bored as hell at home. I can't stand that.
Speaker 3: So I agree with you one hundred percent. Well you know one thing that's going to carry better. I sound better.
Speaker 1: I did not this morning. I'm better now, but I'm not. And so I've taken so many antibiotics that whatever biotics are, I don't have any left in my body because they're very anti biotic at this point. So I have no biotics left anywhere, and I just it's the worst.
Speaker 3: It's been two months. Two months of a sinus infection. Yeah, so it's been fun.
Speaker 2: Because you kind of felt better for a bit and then with slip.
Speaker 1: Well, when I go on to the antibiotics, yeah, I feel okay, and then when the course is done, I get about forty eight hours before it just socks in again.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that's something that's something bigger.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 2: Glad you're starting to look into it.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, no, I'm going to yet another doctor to figure it out.
Speaker 1: So this is, by the way, some of my most fun preshow chatter that we've ever done is just about sinuses and laryngitis and you chain smoking cigarettes while to a slot machine.
Speaker 2: I swear that's what it sounds like. The hard part is when people are like, well, do you have a sore throat? And I'm like, well, yeah, because can you hear how strenuous it is for me to yeah right now? And imagine I got to go to Wango Tango this last weekend for.
Speaker 3: Them, and you told me a little bit about it. What did you think?
Speaker 2: Okay, so for the first time now, like, honestly, I feel like Wango Tango over the years, I mean, it's been going on for it was going on when I was in high school. So you're talking like twenty twenty five years at the least, if it wasn't before that, right, And I remember, especially in high school, one group of girls and this was when you kind of knew whether you were in with this group or not. And they spelt out Wango Tango and added one exclamation mark at the end with their shirts. So then when they were in the stands, because it was at the Angel Stadium, you would see them. Okay, I didn't make from the W to the exclamation mark where there was no place to Sabrina, No.
Speaker 3: I thought you were gonna be like I was the end.
Speaker 2: No, I know, right, I'm like, we can't have like five exclamation marks. I'd be the fifth one.
Speaker 1: I totally.
Speaker 2: And so you know, it was such a big deal in high school for whatever reason, busy school whatever. And then after that, right after high schools went a lot of my stuff with career picked up. I know it was schedule wise. I've never been to Waygo Tango and this, And I listened to Kiss FM like ad bid like you do. I mean before Ryan Sea Chris was on it, I was listening to it. I always loved it and I still do. That's the number one station I listened to and hashtag I heart so. I literally I d SO. This was so exciting to go to. However, I had my daughter's little dance party tea party before and it was so hot. I was already melting trying to get myself ready for it. It just wasn't the dream day. But when we got down to Huntington, it was cool because this was the first time they've done it. You know, in Huntington on the beach, really, no one that worked for iHeart really knew what to expect for everyone. You know, they were kind of going, Okay, this is the you know, there was a gifting suite. There was such great products there. It was so fun, very chill, very ocy beach life, living right on the ocean. They had a gorgeous room at Pisa for us. Then we walked down to the red carpet and Tara, our producer, I got to hang out with her on our way there, and she was telling me, you know, Megan Trainer, I've heard from her publicist that she's actually a pretty big Cheena Girl fan. And I'm like, oh my gosh, I love Megan Trainer. She's a mom, she is kill, she looks amazing, and she's literally one of the best songwriters. She's so awesome. It's like, that's so awesome. She's like, yeah, that's what she told me. She's a pretty big Cheetah Girl fan. I'm like, wow. She As we're walking into the tent where the red carpet is, Megan's walking out will she notices me right away and it was just this most amazing moment. It's been so long since I've gone on her red carpet, and like people are excited really to like see me, like you know, they'll do the nostalgic thing with the Cheetah girls. But it was like it was just such an incredible moment. We hugged. I told her how much I loved like her work and everything, and she goes, oh, my gosh, you don't understand. I was always Derinda from the Cheetah Girls, Like that was me. All my friends knew I was Derenda, and I was like, oh, she has no idea, Like I'm trying to hold it together. I'm like inside, like freaking out. And then she I go well, and then she goes and I always wore orange, and I'm like, thank you, cause that's my biggest thing. People can't find orange floor suits, so they go yellow, and that's okay because it's hard. But the fact that she found herself an orange floor suit really makes me feel like.
Speaker 3: She's like a die hard.
Speaker 2: So you had fun at least ypt telling me yes. Then at the last bit she said, oh my gosh, I love you. You're the reason why I'm a pop star.
Speaker 3: What what she's giant?
Speaker 2: Well, she is giant and either her songs. She's also written so many songs for other artists, like she's so incredible. That was like the most biggest takeaway moment. Then I got to watch her on stage because she was performing. Then my girl went Stefani performed. I mean, the night just kept getting better cool. The only thing that was horrible was I hate sand, so I had to walk into sand a few times, and you know, I didn't let that get me down. But it was an amazing show. It was so fine. It was a great date night, great day night for Jordan and I to get all about the kids.
Speaker 3: And good for you. I'm glad.
Speaker 2: I love you a lot.
Speaker 1: For the record, Gwen Stefani is a pop star because she saw me as Eric Matthews and boy me world.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much. Uh, none of that. Why would not have anything with anything? Did I bet you? She didn't?
Speaker 2: I bet you, I bet you. She is a Disney fan.
Speaker 1: Well, if we've got a Disney fan, I say, we have Megan Trainer on the on the show.
Speaker 2: Then I asked her she'd love to come, so we'll have.
Speaker 1: Her pick her favorite. Maybe Cheatah Girls, maybe like we had Danielle on for Zombies. Maybe we'll do a Cheetah Girls with with her.
Speaker 2: Told her the exact thing she would love to and I said, even if we can't get it together for this Cheatah Girls, maybe the next one or if you have a different dcom. She goes, I loved all of them. That's great, this is great, So we'll find something mean fangirling for life over here, fangirling.
Speaker 3: For that's awesome.
Speaker 1: Well, welcome back to Magical, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pjs, and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the houses were smart, the waves tsunamis, and Meghan Trainer was dough.
Speaker 2: I'm Wilferdell, I'm Sabrina Bryant.
Speaker 1: Speaking of gambling, and Sabrina hooked to machines. It's time to hit on soft sixteen and bet on black because we're winning big with this week's nineteen eighty seven Magical World of Disney. Let me say that again, people, you heard that right, nineteen eighty seven Magical World of Disney TV movie. Again, Magical World of Disney movie, not even Wonderful World yet And the movie title you.
Speaker 3: Ruin my life.
Speaker 1: And of course I have to say it like that because it has an exclamation point. The movie debuted February first, nineteen eighty seven, on ABC, the network for these films at the time. And once you know what the plot of the movie is about, you'll know why. But the movie is shot in Las Vegas. We haven't seen it, okay, we have to talk to see that I don't get that oh yet, but that is right. It is a brand new location, Utah and Canada. Each your hearts out, Sabrina. What's your favorite Vegas movie ever?
Speaker 2: Oh? Gosh, I really liked The Hangover.
Speaker 3: I I I a great movie.
Speaker 2: You watched that on repe It's just so funny. I think that's one I'm gonna I do like any movie because I love the man, any movie that goes ahead and gets a cameo with Wayne Newton. Okay, we'll also be watching because all of them are pretty pretty amazing.
Speaker 3: No, that's fair enough.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go with I loved for different reasons Casino, brilliant movie, Leaving Las Vegas, brilliant movie, The Oceans movies I thought were a fun way to look at Las Vegas, which I've never seen before.
Speaker 2: Didn't even think of the ocean.
Speaker 1: Yes, And then for a whole different reason, Showgirls. So uh, how about all time Vegas?
Speaker 3: Casino? You say you love Vegas. Where do you go? Where do you stay when you're there?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Geez, well I got to perform with Dancer with the Stars live in Las Vegas at the Tropicana, and I get to live there. That was rad it's no longer there.
Speaker 3: It is not Canta.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was awesome to be on that stage just because of the history, legacy of course people that had performed on that and it was all it felt very old school. It was just awesome, and even though I was in like a newer tower, just felt like an older hotel. But it was amazing. And then I think, gosh, we well we've probably been we kind of jump around, but we've gone to the Aria quite a bit. But I'm I'm interested in seeing the new ones that are out there, right.
Speaker 3: That's what I was just gonna say.
Speaker 1: So we just well, we just did to two Vegas things in a row. We were just there last weekend for Danielle's birthday. We saw Dead and Co at the Sphere, which was unreal.
Speaker 2: Oh, I haven't been in this sphere yet.
Speaker 3: Both times.
Speaker 1: We stayed now at the new Fountain Blue and it's incredible.
Speaker 3: It's great.
Speaker 1: It's huge and massive and clean, and the food's incredible and it's quiet.
Speaker 3: It's great.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, is that farther down?
Speaker 3: I think so.
Speaker 1: I don't like Las Vegas or not particularly well, so I think it's on the strip farther down.
Speaker 3: But I don't anyway.
Speaker 1: We know that the ABC movies were able to get a little bit riskier with their subject matter. But do you think that modern day Disney would make a movie with kids about gambling?
Speaker 3: You think this would happen.
Speaker 2: I think they would do something, possibly like within a Casino. I don't know if it would be. I don't know if this movie was really a round gambling. It was more I mean, yeah, I need to pay off his debt, but it was more about like the teaching aspect. I saw it as you know, it's kind of just like the pre up into what the strange.
Speaker 3: It was a strange balance.
Speaker 2: But it would not be there would not be you know, the level of how much it was very I guess, yeah, I guess you're right. You're right, You're right, you're right.
Speaker 1: So, in addition to this movie airing on ABC, this one did make its way to home video.
Speaker 3: Kids.
Speaker 1: Home video, you used to go to the store and actually pick up a video, making for a popular rental back in its day.
Speaker 3: Do you gamble?
Speaker 2: I do?
Speaker 3: What's your game?
Speaker 2: I like craps?
Speaker 3: Okay, we killed it that one night. It was so much fun. We'll hold the craps table. One night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so fun. I can't do blackjack. I get nervous when people are around me, and I'm like having to add And I know i'd like have the rules. Jordan's taught me it, but I can't move that fast.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, And dealers are, especially in Vegas, are so fast. Yeah, very quick at the blackjack table.
Speaker 3: So yeah, they're just pumping it out. Yeah. I'm not much of a gambler, but it was fun that one night. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, since this is not an actual dcom, this one is not viewable on Disney Plus, but it's on the YouTube, so you can go watch it right now for free, or watch it after listening to our opinions. I would never tell you what to do, but let's put it this way. Even if you turn this podcast off right now, I'm going to keep talking, and then you're.
Speaker 3: Never going to know what we're saying.
Speaker 1: We're committed to this thing and we're going to see it through with or without your help. Uh, Sabrina, did you know anything about ruined my life? You ruined you ruined my life before it's inclusion.
Speaker 2: I'm actor We've got it on the last episode, no idea, and honestly, nothing about this title really gives you an idea what this is going to be.
Speaker 3: No, there's nothing. This is going to put this up there with the thirteenth Year.
Speaker 2: I know who was in it.
Speaker 3: Nothing. I'm not even gonna.
Speaker 1: Say thirteenth year, because at least that they explained why it was called the thirteenth year.
Speaker 3: You figured it out during the movie. This one, I didn't actually get Who's ruining whose life? Why? Why is the exclamation point necessary? There's a lot.
Speaker 1: Okay, call room service, everybody, because it's time for the official synopsis. Minerva, a mischievous and privileged young girl, is sent to live with her uncle Howie, who runs a Las Vegas hotel, and when a down on his luck teacher finds himself in a gambling debt, he must form an unlikely bond with the girl to help her get accepted at a prestigious boarding school to clear his financial crisis. Taking a deep breath now, because yikes, that synopsis is as long and confusing as this film was to me. I mean, it's just like adding in it's like a prestigious boarding school, this financial crisis to the airplane.
Speaker 2: It was like wait, well, even the first like scene with them him in what room were they in? Where were they? What I don't know was that I don't know, no idea was a teacher in the school. I was like, what is going on?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: It was? It was. The whole thing is strange.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's also worth stating up top here the title you in my Life, as we talked about, is never actually said or referenced in dialogue in any way, shape or form. It's kind of a random title for being honest. That makes no sense. Whose life is ruined? Is it her life that's ruined? Is it his life? Is everybody's life ruined? We just don't know either way. You ruin My Life is directed by David Ashwell. Ashwell was a successful commercial director, but this is his only credit in movies.
Speaker 3: Yes, his only one. No more movies, no more TV. This was it at all.
Speaker 1: In two thousand and one, he appeared to have turned his focus to painting full time, where he mostly recreates Malibu landscapes and lives back in England. That's how I like to pronounce it. The movie stars, so let Moonfry as Minerva, sort of unrelated.
Speaker 3: Have you ever heard of the name Minerva before?
Speaker 2: That was one of my very first Sabrina Seas. Once we figured out what her name, What in the good god is that name?
Speaker 1: I can okay, So Minerva is a is a Greek god.
Speaker 3: But I'm gonna go one more with you.
Speaker 1: I think because we had Minerva and Hermione in this one, who were both huge characters in Harry Potter. And this is Minerva mcgarnicle was Missus mcgarnigal's name, and Hermione Granger is Harry's name. Then we have Howie that sounds like Harry. And this was nineteen eighty seven, so I'm guessing JK. Rowling was actually a fan of this movie and she took a number of the names from this movie.
Speaker 2: Oh you, I thought you were gonna say the books. I thought you were gonna do the opposite of it.
Speaker 1: No, this is nineteen eighty seven. This came out well for any of the books or anything.
Speaker 2: I do not know that way. Oh yeah, for this many times? Oh no, I did those books could be out for one hundred and fifty years.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, no, no, no, this is no, this is this was all pre Harry Potter. As I'm getting one Harry Potter name after another, I'm going like, Howie sounds like Harry, Minerva Hermione, It's like wow, We've got a bunch, Oh wow, Minerva Minerva mcgarnicle. Anyway, so Let is of course best known as the iconic character Punky Brewster, a show she started as a child that ran for four seasons in the eighties. She was a pop culture juggernaut, but Soley would also go on to play Roxy on Sabrina the Teenage Witch and appeared in The Rider's Strong Vehicles Summertime Switch, which of course we recapped on Podmeat's World. She has since transitioned into directing documentaries, her first two being Kid ninety, the story of her journey through Hollywood and the young adult she met along the way, and now The Carter's Hurts to Love You, the story of a family torn of art by fame, addiction, and mental illness. Soley is also somebody who is very, very nice, and I thought everybody should know that.
Speaker 3: Were you too young for Bunkie Brewster?
Speaker 2: I was when they were airing, I think, But I definitely watched a lot of the reruns. Okay, whether they were back on ABC or they were if they I don't know if they ever transitioned into Disney Channel.
Speaker 3: But I don't think it was Disney Channel, but they showed him somewhere.
Speaker 2: Man, she was just so cute and I just like, I absolutely loved watching any time I got a chance to watch that.
Speaker 1: I told I told Sole, she's on the list for me of reasons why I became an actor, because Punky Brewster, that's right in my age, right in my range. And and you watched this girl who was my age at the time, six or seven when she started starring on TV, and it was like that, I need to do that. I've said that too bunch of people, But she's on that list.
Speaker 2: I swear it popped in my head so many times. If Monroe got a chance to see this little girl, she would.
Speaker 3: Be She'd love it, she'd love it hooked.
Speaker 2: Because there's just so much of that personality that Moelle has. I was like, oh no, she would just that would be it. Mom punkin Agent, I'm Punky to be Punky.
Speaker 1: We've also got the great Paul Riser is Dexter Bunch great name. Riser began his career as a stand up comedian in New York, but would appear in amazing movies like this, just this, this list, Diner, Aliens, Beverly Hills, Cop and Whiplash, will just stop there. But as best known as the Emmy winning star and co creator of the TV show Mad About You. We are big Paul Riser fans in this family over here incredible.
Speaker 3: And then we have Mimi Rogers. She plays Charlotte Rogers.
Speaker 1: Appeared in movies like Gung Ho, The Rapture in Austin, Powers and TV shows like Two and a Half Men, Bosh, and Madmen, but she is probably best known as Tom Cruise, his wife from nineteen eighty seven to nineteen ninety. She's also a very accomplished poker player, even serving on the board of Directors for the World Poker Tour. Crazy and a recognizable face, a real oh that guy. Actor Alan Garfield plays Howie Harry. Garfield appeared in Beverly Hills Cop two, The Conversation Nashville, and Woody Allen's Bananas.
Speaker 3: Great movie.
Speaker 1: A great character actor who's also just superbness. He passed away unfortunately in twenty twenty from COVID complications, and he was put at high risk after suffering a stroke back in two thousand and two. And I'm sad to report that even if we think we have a winning hand with this movie, this movie is one hundred minutes long, ten minutes off target, which is, without hyperbole, disgusting people.
Speaker 3: So as a result, I will say this movie is.
Speaker 1: Say it with me, Sabrina too long.
Speaker 3: It's time.
Speaker 2: If you watch it on YouTube, they have all of the commercials made it was awesome much longer. But the commercials were awesome. Would it made it that much longer? And it made me think, well, I'll go I'll do that at the Greatesease because it really was like I had just pause aka quick moment went wow, okay yeow.
Speaker 1: I did not skip a single commercial though. These commercials brought me right back to my childhood. I knew all of the I knew all of the songs. I knew the juicy fruit jingle, I knew all of them.
Speaker 2: Nickers one killed Me.
Speaker 1: Nickers, the little sticklets, sticklets gum, I remember that where they're like for some reason they thought thinner gum and more pieces nine slim sticks instead of seven wide ones. What the fuck?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So I didn't go out. I watched it all and the writer is Robin Sweetcord.
Speaker 3: I hope.
Speaker 1: I'm saying that writer swy Cord, Now, let's talk about humble beginnings. This was only her second movie, but she went on to write this list is Staggering, nineteen ninety four is Little Women, nineteen ninety six is Matilda cult hit, Practical Magic, Memoirs of a Geisha, and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, a script that got her nominated for an Oscar and a Colden Globe. Some huge credits for swy Cord ors record, I hope and saying, I think it's swy Cord a much more impressive list than what we're used to for actual Disney Channel movies. They get great writers on d COM's absolutely not saying they don't, but it is a different caliber of writer when you're going on to then win Academy Awards and Golden Globes and nominated for all this different kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, he just announced Practical Magic too is possibly in the works. Both of the actress, Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman have confirmed there's one in the work, So we're for this. So that movie was, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, it was so bad.
Speaker 3: Well, she's got the banger after banger this one.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, all right, so let's get this line of credit and start.
Speaker 3: You ruined My life.
Speaker 1: The movie opens with a stretched white limo driving into Vegas. Before sunset, we see the magical nineteen eighty skyline of the strip, eventually giving us some shots of hotels that are just memories in twenty twenty five, the Dunes, Oasis, Stardust, Frontier, Imperial Palace, all since demolished and replaced. Delimmo eventually pulls up to one of the hotels that's actually still there, Caesar's Palace. Two hotel employees congregate to announce she's coming back, even though she was just here. She's coming back. Apparently things are going to liven up soon. But inside the hotel, a cashier isn't as happy. He wants her kept away from his bank. A security guard even gets on the loudspeaker it's a Minerva alert. One cocktail waitress is thrilled with the news, and Jake the bartender hides his cherries. That sounded strange, but that's what happens. Inside his large office, a big wig named Howie can't believe she's coming back after only four weeks. His receptionist Charlotte eventually brings him a milk, which obviously would have been alcohol if it wasn't Disney, But you know, they got to give him a little stomach problem, so they're giving him milk instead. How he instructs Charlotte to buy Minerva a present and fill out a loving card and market from Uncle Howie. Also, he says, if aunt Hermione, Harry Potter calls, say nothing. I assume it's because she's at a wizarding school again and he's scared of her powers. But it's too late anyway, Charlotte breaks the news Hermione already knows. The limo finally pulls up to Caesar's right in front of the sign advertising cool in the Gang performing Soon, which is awesome. The valet guy helps Minerva out of the limo and we see she's dressed in a schoolgirl outfit, roller skates, long red gloves, and a red feather boa. She skates off, leaving a piece of chocolate as a tip. Now in the hotel, Minerva screams out hey everybody, I'm back, and is instantly embraced by Lorraine, the cocktail waitress, who catches her up on her recent soap opera storylines. Minerva then visits Jake, the bartender, who lovingly sprays them all with water. Minerva immediately notices that the cherries are gone. Yep, still sounds weird, Serena.
Speaker 3: Have your kids ever been to Vegas? You ever take them there? Or is it just like this, This is just for my husband and I.
Speaker 2: No, they have not been to Vegas. Jordan and I actually that's where we kind of said we fell in love because I met him really close to when I actually had to be there for four months. Oh, key and I have been in Vegas. That's a really awesome place. We ended up getting married there, but Mary Vegas. Yeah, we got married at Wayne Newton's house, like.
Speaker 3: Newton there. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Him and I were on the Dancing with the Stars show the first time I was on together, and we went on tour. So I've been close with his family for a long time. And when he met Jordan, he's the one. He opened a business. We went into opening. He met Jordan that night and said this guy's the one, this is the one right here, and he found out we got engaged. He's like, I'd love to host you guys. How else would be amazing, and like.
Speaker 6: Uh, dude, you got married A wait, I would I would argue, and this is a tough argument to make, but I could argue Wayne Newton is even better than fig Newton's And I know that's tough.
Speaker 2: But a great definitely better than fig Newton.
Speaker 3: All right. I love that. Then a security guard named Mustache.
Speaker 1: Without any explanation outside of him having one, gives her a bear hug and carries her to see.
Speaker 3: Quote unquote the boss, Uncle Howie.
Speaker 1: Now we're in his office. How he's upset with Minerva. Ten schools in five years is a disaster. He loves his niece, but this is embarrassing. He'll get her anything if she just stays in school. Minerva apologizes she is not made for school. She wants to stay at the hotel and talk about Lorraine's divorce. This kid right on cue on Hermione storms in, she can't believe Minerva was kicked out of it yet another school. She's demanding full custody to get her away from the shady Vegas crowd. Minerva says she wants to live with Howie, but on Hermione says she's too young to make her own decisions.
Speaker 3: And with that, Minerva.
Speaker 1: Falls off of her roller skates, taking some drapes down along the way. She's okay, but she is way too young to be making your own decisions. She should not be at that hotel, she should not be in that situation, and she should be at a school.
Speaker 3: With a loving family.
Speaker 1: Right away, I was like, Nope, she's wrong, the uncle's wrong, and aun't Hermione, who's the villain, seems to be the only one actually looking out for.
Speaker 3: This child's well being. Absolutely so yeah.
Speaker 1: We then cut to EI or the Eastern Institute of Technology in Boston, which is supposed to be MIT, but just in another part of town. We see a group of police there entering the lab, and inside is a pretty active scene. Men are lined up standing in front of computers, which I'm putting computers in quotes because this is computers in nineteen eighty seven, so these are still kind of new, while a professor named Dexter walks up and down the line taking bets. It's blackjack, and there's a different game on every screen. But just as the hands are dealt in walks the cops and the dean.
Speaker 3: It's a raid.
Speaker 1: Dexter tries to say it's a top secret research project, but he's deemed a disgrace to the institution. The next day, Dexter's at the bank talking to his friend, one of the branches employees. Dexter says he doesn't care if he gets reprimanded. He doesn't want to teach anymore. He's going to take a year sabbatical and then write a book in Fiji. But first he's stopping in Vegas for a little financial help. He reveals a box with flickering lights strapped to his stomach.
Speaker 3: Now nine out of ten people in a bank would have assumed this was a bomb, so not good planning, Bud.
Speaker 1: It's also the most giant computer thing I've ever seen in my life, just strapped to a thing. But Dexter calls it the ultimate blackjack system. It'll count cards and tell him what to do through his watch. He just needs a line of credit from the bank, but he only has fifty dollars as collateral, so Dexter spills some of a soda on his friend, forcing him to run to the bathroom. While he's gone, Dexter decides to creep under the computer and change his fifty dollars balance to fifty.
Speaker 3: Thousand, you know, just some casual, enormous bank front and jump. Yeah, I mean, yikes. Now, did you have any concerns about Dexter at this point?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was very strange to me. Again, like I said, I don't feel like it was set up enough to know that he was a teacher. You really had to pay attention. I felt to like the dialogue that he was talking about then he was just like he had everything planned out this Like you said, it looked like a bomb. He had just a little bit. He was a little like kind of shady, sketchy, sketchy to me, you know, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I agree they were trying to they It was weird. It was almost like for the first part of the movie they almost had to rewrite his character because Paul Riser doesn't come off as a bank robber, gonna rob a casino guy, no, but comes off as a great teaure So it was like he was he miscast?
Speaker 3: Was he properly cast? I don't know.
Speaker 1: It was It was strange to me what they were going because I love Paul Riser, but I was like, I don't buy him as bank robber guy.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I just don't he wasn't doing a bankrupt he was kind I mean.
Speaker 1: He stole fifty thousand dollars from a bank and then tried to screw a casino with a giant cheating machine.
Speaker 2: Seeing things like this, though, like I'm like, is it could have really honestly been that easy to do stuff like this back then?
Speaker 1: Like I know, no, although the one they show in casino, have you seen that where it's like there's it takes two guys and one of them like taps on his leg, and then there's the other one has like a thing on his leg where a pencil taps him and it's like Morse code and all that kind of stuff, so they can get into some pretty involved stuff to rob these It was.
Speaker 2: Literally like let me fake a glass of coke or diet. Yeah, it was little, and it was literally like let me just reach over and click the zero a few times. I'm like, is that like where bank tellers just like I get it?
Speaker 1: So maybe when were new I don't know either, but anywhere now back at the hotel, Minerva orders carts and carts and carts of room service because kids love room service. Obviously, it's such a treat. Although when I was just there. I got two bagels, my wife and I got This is not a joke. We were at the hotel. My wife and I got two bagels, two orange juices, and two coffees, and it was one hundred and twenty three dollars. It's got robbery. It's insane. It's absolutely insane. We were laughing, like this can't be right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: When I go on vacation, my favorite thing. I love to go to brunch. I don't really eat breakfast a ton in real life. I love to go to a brunch and I love to have room service. But h I it's crazy, especially in Vegas.
Speaker 1: I just can't we it's we were at the at the gift shop waiting for our car.
Speaker 3: We were at the gift shops. I only drive to Vegas. I hate that flight. It's too bumpy.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, I can't handle that drive.
Speaker 3: Oh I love the drive.
Speaker 1: So we're there, and on May twenty seventh is my eleven year anniversary without smoking a cigarette. So it's been a very long time that I haven't smoked. And we're sitting down there and I look behind the cashier and I see packs of cigarettes and I said, you know, it's been so long, and we're in Vegas. I said, it's been so long, I'm just curious. How much is a pack of cigarettes? And the woman dead straight said twenty seven dollars? What it was to the point where the other four people in the story had exactly are people we hadn't even talked to you around, Like.
Speaker 3: What did you just say? Twenty seven dollars?
Speaker 1: How you remember it was when I started smoking, it was a dollar ninety.
Speaker 2: Well that seems crazy too.
Speaker 1: Twenty seven dollars a pack, isn't that insane? So if you're a packa day smoker, which I was, is thirty dollars a day.
Speaker 2: Especially though now I don't. You don't see people smoking actual cigarettes anymore.
Speaker 3: Every no, no, thank god, it's going away. It's going away. It's going twenty seven dollars a pack. Yep, there you go.
Speaker 2: It's an expense of how much would a carton be?
Speaker 3: You'd have to call Zurich and move move some money around. It'd be crazy.
Speaker 1: There is now a knock at the door, and it's another kid named Yaki. He's celebrating his birthday and wearing a leather jacket. It's a bomber jacket. That's how you know he's a bad ass. He invites Minerva onto a boat ride and she immediately accepts. We cut today, Foulton, he does the little baby bad ass. We cut to the fountains in front of Caesar's Palace, where Yaki and Minerva are rowing in a boat.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's a nice little rowboat, wearing pirate and sailing hats.
Speaker 1: Just as Uncle Howie drives by and he can't believe what he sees, but apparently does nothing about it, just keeps on driving. Minerva decides to make Yaki's birthday cake in the casino kitchen. So now the two kids try their hardest to mimic a nearby chef, and it's beautiful cake making, but Minerva adds gumballs to their concoction and odd decision for pastry. The kids leave their creation to find more frosting, and while they're gone, a waiter accidentally picks up the cake for the dining room.
Speaker 3: When Minerva and Yaki return, they.
Speaker 1: Realize what's happened, and they run off, and we never find anything about this. Nobody takes a cut of the cake, no one sees a piece, no one bites into, but it just that's it.
Speaker 3: There was a lot of things in this.
Speaker 1: Movie were just scenes that meant nothing, that went nowhere. There's a couple more coming up where I was like, why do they have that?
Speaker 2: Didn't this cut straight to her getting in trouble?
Speaker 1: Well yeah, no, Later he mentions no in passing how He's like, oh, and then the cake with the gumballs.
Speaker 2: It's like, oh, they didn't get in trouble yet. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 1: Elsewhere in the hotel, Howie and receptionist Charlotte are talking about her job. She wants to work in pr and build a spot to attract a younger crowd, but how He says she's a good secretary and needs to stay that way. Little misogyny in the nineteen eighty seven that's just how it was, and that's what we see his niece Minerva laying out by the pool being served to drink by Lorraine. How He begs Minerva it go back to her room because people don't like seeing kids at the pool. It makes them feel guilty about their families back home. She follows his order, and Uncle Howie wonders if Hermione was right, maybe she should be in a big home with rules A bedtime and a loving family.
Speaker 3: Of course she should, Howie.
Speaker 1: Howie says she doesn't want her to end up being like him. He just runs around stress trying to keep his heart ulcer in check. He professes his love for her, but they must work out this behavior before Hermione returns. Now it's nighttime and Dexter's checking into the hotel. His Blackjack's stomach computer, his giant Blackjack stomach computer, is already beeping for some reason. Why you'd build this machine yourself that's supposed to be a secret Vegas thing and yet make.
Speaker 2: It beep the loudest and most beat It's like.
Speaker 1: You would have gone to what was called radio shack back in the day kids and ask for a loud beeping machine.
Speaker 3: Yikes.
Speaker 1: He asks for a line of credit from the cashier when Charlotte pops up. She's doing a survey for the hotel and offers help if he has any questions. Dexter is obviously very attracted to this receptionist, and the banker returns to give him a line of credit for that fifty grand. Remember this figure is based on the earlier bank fraud changing his life savings while his friend was away now committing a crime or not. Dexter's room is massive and very nineteen eighties. It has stares in a jacuzzi overlooking the entire strip. He lasts to himself and dances onto a leather sofa, probably because he's got all this for just taking out a line of credit. After a quick rest, he puts on his nicest suit and readies the giant blackjack stomach machine. He's very confident he'll make oodles and noodles of cash, giving himself a pep talk and singing around the room. Dexter wastes no time and walks down to the Casino Florida, scout the situation and tests the massive blinking loud box under his jacket. He eventually decides on a blackjack table and puts down his first bet. His hand is a dismal five and a ten or a fifteen. His watch then tells him to hit and boom, he gets a twenty great hand. How would the computer know what card is next if he just sat down?
Speaker 3: How would that be possible? Anyway?
Speaker 2: I imagine it was like he's counting cards.
Speaker 1: Right, but he just sat down, so he hasn't counted anything yet. That is true, Yeah, there's nothing to count, he just and again, you need the computer to tell you to stand on fifteen.
Speaker 3: Come on, It all depends on what they did anyway.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Dexter wins the first hand and goes on a massive streak thanks to his computer and watch.
Speaker 3: This guy cannot lose.
Speaker 1: Upstairs, Minerva is in a cocktail dress and pearls, giving herself a full face of makeup and perfume. She looks like she's about to perform in New Year's.
Speaker 3: Eve Vegas Show.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, Dexter's constant blackjack wins have a master crowd and also the attention of casino security. The quote I in the sky unquote watches on, noticing he's been looking at his watch every hand. They think he's counting cards, so Mustache again. Mustache wants to see it first hand. At the table, Lorraine takes Dexter's drink order and thinks Dexter is really cute.
Speaker 3: She calls him the Brady type, but in.
Speaker 1: Reality, Dexter is really stupid, so stupid that he decides to put all of his winnings in for one hand. Mustache watches on as Dexter's dealt another crappy fifteen. Lorraine returns with the champagne, and an onlooker accidentally pushes Dexter's hand into the ice bucket.
Speaker 3: Uh oh, it's shorted out the watch. Dexter doesn't know what to do.
Speaker 1: He asks for a break, and a suspicious mustache tells him to take his time, which seems insane to me. That literally, there's cards on the table and they just let him walk away in the middle of the hand. It seems it didn't see no, it didn't seem no. Meanwhile, Minerva's having a candle lit dinner by herself. It seems like we should have been getting the idea that maybe this she didn't really love this lifestyle.
Speaker 3: She's lonely, she's that stuff. But no, she's digging it.
Speaker 1: She's watching a chorus line of girls rehearse for Howie and all of Howie's creepy friends. Dexter is now in the bathroom. He's trying to drive off his watch, begging it to work. He eventually makes his way back to the table after again a loud beeping exchange where he's in the toilet and the things beeping and the genitor's there and you didn't need that scene at all. Another scene where it was like, well, does anything happen? No, he just runs by the janitor and the beeping is stop, so why even do it?
Speaker 3: But he makes his way back to the table.
Speaker 1: He has no confidence in his invention now, and when he returns his cards, the dealer, the other players, they're all just waiting for him midhand.
Speaker 3: That seems like fun.
Speaker 1: And then at the same time, the cashier gets a call. It's about Dexter and is fifty grand.
Speaker 3: It looks like the j is up.
Speaker 1: Dexter, now, without the help of his magical, large, huge counting machine, decides to stand on fifteen, and then the dealer hits on her fifteen and gets a six. She has twenty one. Dexter's lost everything. He crawls away with his tail between his legs. We're now back at the course line. Minerva has now joined the girls dancing. When Yaki runs in. He wants to show her something. It's a computer at the front desk that also won't stop beeping. Apparently, in the mid to late eighties there was just a lot of beeping computers. Yaki jumps over the counter, which I'm sure is not a safe thing.
Speaker 3: To do at a Vegas casino. The two kids.
Speaker 1: Start pounding on the keyboard, making everything beep more. Meanwhile, two ladies are having trouble opening their room door. It appears the kids playing on the computer have stripped the key cards of access, causing a major security issue.
Speaker 3: No one can get into the rooms.
Speaker 1: And if that wasn't enough, Mustache confronts a pouting Dexter at the bar.
Speaker 3: We're now in Howie's office.
Speaker 1: Minerva and Yaki are getting an earfull about their little computer gag. Yaki gets banned from the hotel and Minerva is being sent to her on her mind about Tom And just as the kids are taking away, Mustache walks in with a handcuffed Dexter. How he reveals he knows all about Dexter scam and even though he lost it all, he still stole from the casino to even play in the first place.
Speaker 3: Dexter tries to talk this way out of it, but.
Speaker 1: How he wants the original fifty k back and Dexter has no money to pay it off. Mustache also exposes the enormous blackjack computer and now how he swears he'll get that fifty thousand dollars even if he has to sell Dexter's teeth fillings. Dexter suggests he works it off in the casino, maybe by washing dishes, but how he points out that'll take fifty to sixty years.
Speaker 3: But how He then says, and this is where I was like, Okay, I get where they're going.
Speaker 1: But really how He then says he does have an idea for the teacher. Soon after, Dexter has moved to his new much smaller room under the garage and near the boiler room.
Speaker 3: He's then walked to meet his new student, Minerva. Yes, to pay off his debt, he has to become her teacher. Okay, he's blasting music, swinging a room which is filled with stuffed animals in a jukebox.
Speaker 1: It's a real Tom Hanks and Big vibe. It was a very eighties trope.
Speaker 3: It was loved it rich.
Speaker 1: It was what Silver Spoons did this, Big did this, the toy did this. It was all just was Richie Rich, Richie rich shirt. But no, but it was an eighties cartoon. I think the movie was in the early nineties, but it was an eighties cartoon. So yes, the kid with the awesome stuff in his room was a total eighties trope. But what did you feel about gambler guy who steals from casino having to pay it off by teaching the girl.
Speaker 2: Because he did not come off like truly didn't like you said, like just who he is as an actor is so like just girl guy next door type thing. He wasn't like, So it was a little bit easier. But when you think about it, it's like, okay, uncle, all right, fine, you find a teacher. You're not gonna have anyone else supervising this stranger you just got cheating who yeah, who you already know has a somewhat of a questionable situation and is in a questionable predicament of why he's there gambling and cheating. You're gonna have no supervision with this adorable kid.
Speaker 1: Dexter introduces himself, and she doesn't seem to be interested, but still sits down to gage her level of education. It becomes very obvious that she's way behind where she should be, with entire subjects completely missed. All she knows is what she's learned from the hotel, knowing what kind of work is ahead of them. Dexter talks to mid massage Uncle Hollie Dexter explains her education or lack thereof, can't be fixed quickly, which is true, but how he doesn't care. He wants Minerva to be like Princess Die and ready for a new boarding school in the fall.
Speaker 3: Dexter's job is to get her ready for.
Speaker 1: The exam in a few weeks, where she'll need to score eighty percent or better to get accepted. And they really set it up where this girl didn't know anything. Dexter says he's a teacher, not a magician, but if he can get her to pass, his debt will be erased. We're now back in my nervous room. Dexter immediately gets to work, but she's not listening. She's jumping on a trampoline and ordering room service. And once the food gets there, Yaki was hiding in one of the carts to hang out.
Speaker 3: Hashtag Yaki forever.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, once Day one is finished, Charlotte checks in with Dexter on his boiler room. She notices he's packing his bags and reminds him how he will find him no matter where he goes. Dexter admits gambling was stupid, but he's a human being, not someone here to reform someone else's kid, but Charlotte grew up on the strip too without parents and feels bad for Minerva. Dexter calls the kid unteachable, but also Charlotte tells Dexter she.
Speaker 3: Likes his feet. That wasn't that wasn't.
Speaker 1: I didn't skip anything there, dear listeners, That's basically what happens, he says. It's the girl's un teachable. He's like, well, maybe she's not unteachable. And she looks down. She's like, you've got nice toes or whatever, and it was like what And so the flirting between these two heats up, and they set up a time to get a drink together. Dexter also says he will try again with Minerva tomorrow, Sabrina feet yes or no?
Speaker 3: Oh no, okay, me too.
Speaker 1: However, the next day, when he arrives to Minerva's room, she's gone. She's left a note behind that reads, no lesson today had to work and thankfully all the words were spelled correctly. Dexter finds Minerva down at the bar getting her soap opera update from Lorraine.
Speaker 3: Dexter acts casual with her.
Speaker 1: He knows he can't force her to learn, but if she knows everything about the hotel.
Speaker 3: Why can't she do that with her schoolwork?
Speaker 1: So this is where I was like, Okay, I wonder how like he's gonna incorporate, how he's gonna mister Miagi her like, incorporate the whatever to get her to learn.
Speaker 3: And this is where we.
Speaker 2: See he does know the stuff she's interested in.
Speaker 1: Write her to learn, talk to her on her level. So he starts teaching her about former presidents by using money to point out their portraits, and it works. She seems excited, but that night, when he tries to drop off some textbooks to her room, she's focused on beauty Hour with Lorraine and some of the other hotel employees. She doesn't intend to study and tells Dexter to get lost. In turn, he admits his situation to the girl. He owes her uncle Howie fifty grand and this is how he'll survive the predicament. If not for the debt, he'd be out the door. But he's desperate open to help, so she leaves for his date with Charlotte, and it was very discompopulated by this point. Yes now alone, Minerva meets up with Yaki because you know hashtag Yaki forever. She tells him she's looking to raise fifty grand to get Dexter out of debt and out of her life. She'll even sell her famous nail polish collection and trumpets which all kids love trumpets.
Speaker 2: And famous nail ball Nobody's.
Speaker 3: Hey, everybody, did you just didn't know what Nice seven was like?
Speaker 2: Putn't know, but I need to know if a nail polish collection.
Speaker 3: Huge in the eighties was a.
Speaker 2: Thing to actually take it to a pawnshop, of.
Speaker 1: Course not no, even I know that didn't happen.
Speaker 3: That was just no.
Speaker 1: I know, but that that didn't happen, never happened.
Speaker 3: I promise you, that promised you. That wasn't a thing.
Speaker 1: Over at his fancy date, Dexter tells Charlotte that he feed one at Black Jackie would have bought a boat for Fiji, and says that they both have a lot in common. They're both anxious to change their lives, and they both feel trapped. Then how he arrives, he's happy to hear things went well with Minerva today and abruptly joins them for dinner without the invite.
Speaker 3: Downstairs, Minerva calls for her limo.
Speaker 1: She says she has to help Yaki Yaki Forever get home. They trust her, but the limo actually takes the two kids to a nearby sketchy pawn shop. The terrifying owner tries to hide some illegal business taking place in the back and laughs when Minerva asks for fifty thousand dollars minus three hundred dollars that she's already collected, and that's when we hear sirens. Cops has surrounded the shop and we get our second raid of the film. The sketchy pawnshop guys try to hide the money, but the police eventually detain everyone, even the kids.
Speaker 3: And this was another weird scene that just didn't seem necessary.
Speaker 2: But she was so cute. Yeah, when they're standing there all where she's standing there, she was.
Speaker 3: They were both just arrested. Adorable.
Speaker 1: The cast, the kids, they were great And just like that Mustache is marching Dexter right back to Howie's office, where aunt Hermione has also returned. How he can't believe the trouble his niece gotten into, and he's blamed her new teacher.
Speaker 3: Why he's blaming the teacher, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Dexter will need to watch over her twenty four to seven if that's what's needed, Because of course he's a strange her because if she doesn't pass the test, she'll become the property of Entremine, who then would take her and raise her properly and have her study, and then she'd actually be able.
Speaker 3: To showers the test. Well, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: The next day, Dexter arrives early to Minerva's room to start quote spring cleaning. He says a cluttered room can create a cluttered mind. He's now very motivated to help her, and he's decided to change his approach. They start all over using blackjack, a game she knows well to learn numbers, and later Dexter takes Minerva to a truck stop to get her out of the hotel and around other people. He's trying to teach her about etiquette, but this place doesn't even have soup spoons or clean forks, so they agree to leave, and the scene did absolutely nothing to further the movie. Not only that, but then it ends with two other guys who aren't in the movie at all, doing this little side of after year.
Speaker 2: John, are we getting a sidebar story or are.
Speaker 3: They going to rob? Yes?
Speaker 2: I thought she had trust fun baby, Is she the one that actually owns the hotel? Like I started going into all these different.
Speaker 1: Yep and you know what that what actually happened was You're like, not a thing is what actually happened. At the end of the day, back at the hotel, Dexter runs into Charlotte, who's been too busy to see him lately. She invites him to a party, but says it's not really an invite, it's a demand. Per how he's orders, Dexter must take Minerva to the benefit to prove her progress, which is an awful lot of pressure. That night, Dexter reads a sad book to Minerva, and things seem to be getting better, especially when Dexter explains the history of France in World War One in a fun, captivating way as a history buff. I liked the way he talked about Alsace Lorrain, and I thought that was very interesting. Uh so again, mister Miggie kind of teaching. So as a break, Dexter takes her out to the desert for a picnic she's wanted to go on, and they're finally bonding, even holding hands and learning about Cinderella by wearing costumes and dancing new music and again this man has just given this girl over to a complete and total stranger.
Speaker 3: And now it's now.
Speaker 2: From the sand dunes.
Speaker 3: It's now in the middle of the desert. Yep. Now in the middle of the desert, in the middle of Nevada, and nothing weird about that at all. And it's like, this is where I bury my last three people like.
Speaker 2: She Then he got a car from the hotel to take her.
Speaker 3: Oh man, it's the whole thing is weird.
Speaker 2: We're wild now.
Speaker 1: We are it was, it's kind of going in a little nuts. Now now it's time for that famous benefit event. Dexter and Minerva walking together, both a little intimidated and nervous she won't remember the etiquette lessons. They take their seats for dinner, and Minerva is doing great talking to the adults she's really learned a lot, and pressing Howie and Hermione until she starts eating her food with her hands like an animal. In all fairness, she does that because nobody can cut the food that's in front of her. Instead of reacting negatively, Dexter and Charlotte decide to join her. The cornish game hen was tough anyway, and then the whole table, joins in she had a very good idea. Minerva eventually retreats to the kitchen to pretend hyperventilating into a bag. Dexter finds her and announces that he's very proud of her. She's doing a great job and even Uncle Howie is impressed. In response, he gave Dexter his plane ticket back to him, and now Minerva wants to celebrate. She even tells Dexter she loves him. Eventually, Charlotte tracks him down. Howie wants to talk to Dexter again, so Howie and Dexter share a drink celebrating what they saw from Minerva tonight. But how He reminds the teacher Minerva not only has to get accepted into the school, she also has to want to be there. If she drops out, the debt stands, but either way, the test is tomorrow, so buckle up. Later that night, Charlotte and Dexter decide to share a drink before he leaves, and when Minerva comes down to the boiler room with surprise for Dexter, he's not there, and when Minerva does find the couple, she sees them kiss. Minerva shocked, maybe even hurt, but she goes undetected when the new couple walks outside for some air.
Speaker 2: Was she.
Speaker 3: Did she like dexter?
Speaker 2: Okay, but you got it back up because when she she wanted to celebrate, did she feel like she made plans with him? And now he canceled the plan?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 3: Is that what they're talking about?
Speaker 2: He canceled the plans and went with Charlotte, and that's why she was so hurt. Now I'm like, she had just said that she loved him. Did that line means she was in love with him?
Speaker 3: And they didn't there really cancel plans. They didn't have any.
Speaker 2: Plans for sure. Yeah, it was. It was.
Speaker 3: And what is she doing by herself in the boiler room at like eleven o'clock at night?
Speaker 2: Yeah it was.
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess she's supposed to kind of run of the hotel.
Speaker 2: But because she, yeah, runs amuck. But like, I mean, I know it was. It was at this point again, I'm still stuck on who are those other two guys?
Speaker 3: Yeah, who's the guy? The two guys in the dinery? No reason for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're coming down the hallway any minute, I know it. There when they're gonna this is when they're gonna kidnap her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, there's gonna be another storyline, and then they have to save her.
Speaker 3: No, not that, And.
Speaker 2: Then we had like four or five different commercial breaks in between.
Speaker 3: All the truths. I love them, just.
Speaker 2: Like you got to get back because I'm confused.
Speaker 3: Juicy food is going to move. Yeah, it's use soft, it gets right through. Ye, juicy fruit. The taste, the taste, the taste is gonna move. Yeah, juicy fruit.
Speaker 1: Hell Yes, nineteen eighty seven, baby now walking together. Shearlotte tells Dexter she's inspired by what he's done with Minerva. Charlotte feels like she needs to do something with her life too. They both wish she wasn't leaving, and so they kiss again. Luckily no kid was.
Speaker 3: Watching this time. She's back in her room. Actually, Minerva is devastated.
Speaker 1: She decides to call Yaki, which is also exactly what I do call the one man party Yaki forever. Unfortunately, Yaki's been grounded since the pawnshop incident because he has oh what are those called? Parents that care about him? She had no she got into no trouble for getting arrested at a pawnshop. Minerva says, she feels like she's running away, so Yaki invites her over take this one. Say it with me, Sabrina, Yaki forever.
Speaker 3: Say it with me, Yaki.
Speaker 2: Forever, Yaki forever.
Speaker 3: That's right, yeahs Yaki forever.
Speaker 1: She writes down his address with a comically large pencil and leaves for his place.
Speaker 3: She arrives at Yaki's, but it's def Con five.
Speaker 1: Back at the hotel, everyone's freaking out that Minerva is missing and they're involving the police now, which I thought was a quick jump. She's been gone like twenty minutes anyway. Howie is screaming about kidnapping and blaming Dexter, but Exeter finally fights back. He says that how he pretends that the kid is his life, but the hotel and his business deals that's actually his life. As they argue, how he begs everyone not to tell Hermione, but guess what, just like good old Hermione Granger using the time turner she already knows. Now defeated, Dexter walks into Minerva's bedroom, scoping out all of their study materials. You can tell he feels like it all meant nothing now, but then he notices something. It's a red flag poked onto their map right on Boston. He rushes to how he knows where she is. He wants to go get her himself. No police, no sirens. Dexter says, if he's wrong, he'll come back and face the music. But he cares about Minerva and he's got to find her before Hermione does. Everybody's treating this Hermione like she's the worst person in the world. The only person who's like, you know, what I would love for her to do is have a family, have some structure, go to school. And everyone's like she's the evil step brother, like they.
Speaker 2: It should have been seem like she's very kind.
Speaker 1: No, but who cares At that point, You've got a child who is completely educated, spoiled, running amuck all over the place, eating everything inside.
Speaker 2: The backstory, she has no parents there.
Speaker 1: They go, well, we know she's an orphan. We said, they said that she's an orphan.
Speaker 8: I get the traumauma. No one's trying to deal with that. They should have I'm sorry, I know this should have would it could? A game is never good, but they they should have. It should have been.
Speaker 1: Something like we saw that in the one movie what was it where they were like, oh my god, she's literally talking about killing or killing the nephew. Remember the the was it Ghost of Buxley Hall. I forget which one it was, don't you remember? There was one where it was like they were trying to control the kid's money, and so if they got control. I think it was Ghost of Buxley Hall. I think if they got control of the kid and they were like, well, then we'll just kill the kid. I thought if they added something like Hermione only wants you because then you get control of the trust fund your parents left you, something like that where it's like they literally, yes, she's a curmudgeon. Living at her mind is gonna suck, but you're gonna actually grow up and learn something. It's like the equivalent of going to military school, which this girl needed. So it was like to me, is like, make her actually evil, make it to where she does. She's gonna control the money, She's gonna something's gonna happen, not just I'm gonna make you learn where it's like, okay, that's geez It's this girl needs some structure in her life. Anyway, This from the guy who doesn't have kids, and we'll never have to deal with it himself.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Eventually, how he agrees, giving Dexter permission to leave for a temporary task, finally leaving Las Vegas.
Speaker 3: Ooh, leaving Las Vegas. Good name for a movie.
Speaker 1: I did a jot down and getting another great look at eighties Vegas. Dexter eventually just appears in Boston. We see him drive to the airport. It says it says Vegas airport, but he's just there now all of a sudden. We also kind of don't really get how she got there. Even the guy says to her, she came with three hundred dollars. She came with three one hundred dollars bills. She had me change one. I just thought maybe she'd want to get something at the gift shop at the airport.
Speaker 3: So did he know she was going to the airport?
Speaker 1: The guy that works at the casino, I was now going like, wait, what the hell's going on?
Speaker 2: Well, it's the same thing as the limo driver taking her to a pawn shop, Like how is how is this eleven year old talking adults into getting her places that she should not be by herself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's also just the whole, the whole.
Speaker 1: It's like, so did they know she hopped a plane, this girl obviously that she was in Vegas?
Speaker 2: She gift shop?
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, but.
Speaker 2: Who that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's very strange, like yeah, yeah, anyway, uh yeah. So we now see Dexter arriving at the boarding school she said to attend and rooms around the campus trying to find Mi Nerva, but instead he stumbles on an attractive lady that flirts with him for absolutely no reason whatsoever.
Speaker 3: It's like, this is another one of those why why do they even that? What was the point of this random lady just coming up and flirting.
Speaker 2: With this guy? Every Dexter was like a hot commodity in this movie. Remember we've got the waitress at the beginning, who thinks he's so who's so handsome?
Speaker 3: And then we got Charlotte.
Speaker 2: And then Charlotte and now this guy. And it's like, I'm not saying he's not a good looking guy. Oh but this is not. First of all, it just doesn't need to be anything, Like he's not using it to get anything for himself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's Player Riser, he ain't Paul Riiser. It's crazy, but yeah, what's going on? He's just you're right, But it was just such a weird scene. It was like, what why is this here? Eventually he does find Minerva though she's in a classroom taking the entrance exam. He smiles to himself and calls, Howie he found her, and she's okay, she's taking the test. Eventually she completes the exam, and Minerva is so excited to see Dexter jumping into his arms and completely forgetting that he's straight up all after Charlotte, but also that she was supposed to be mad at him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she was just at him, but yeah, because he showed up, because he's an adult that I actually shows up for her. Yeah, her uncle does it. Her uncle does no hands things like after the fact, like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess then, but why didn't she not want him there? Anyway, When we're back at the hotel, now how he congratulates his niece over the phone. He says he knew she could do it. Meanwhile, Charlotte finally gets the confidence to quit. She's been poached by another hotel's PR department, but when how He offers her a similar job at Caesar's, it looks like maybe she'll stay and think it over. So what kind of lesson was that We are now back at the boarding school. Dexter wants to know why my Nerva ran away was the wrong thing to do. Valid question. She explains that she wanted to do this alone, all by herself, which again doesn't really make a whole lot of sense, and it seems like she's already making friends at her new school. Dexter lets her know he lives only twenty minutes from the school, and they decide he'll visit her sometimes. She suggests he looks into teaching again. He says it's crossed his mind. She begs him for a picnic and they hold hands and walk together. He explains he knows a perfect spot for Swan Lake. In the end, it appears they both rediscovered their purpose in life. And that's our movie.
Speaker 3: Okay, real reviews.
Speaker 1: I think I have the five star review this week. I do, and this five star is from Cassidy g and it reads as thus, this is totally cute and I loved everything between Paul Reiser and the kid. But I watched this on YouTube with the original commercials, and let me just say how startling it was when all of a sudden, the news bulletin cut in about an escaped serial rapist.
Speaker 3: I thought the same thing. I'm totally honest with you. Uh it was. It was like magical world of Disney.
Speaker 1: Serial rapists on the loosers like whoa yeah, all right, Sabrina, you've got the one star review.
Speaker 3: What do you got?
Speaker 2: I got a one star from Frankie B. Should we be teaching kids?
Speaker 5: Sorry?
Speaker 3: Sorry, stop? Just the way you said, Frankie P is my new favorite of Frankie B. It was my new favorite thing ever. I apologize for interrupting.
Speaker 1: I just Frankie P made me laugh the way you said anyway, p franky peeky pee?
Speaker 2: All right? Should we be teaching kids about gambling? Get with it? Disney?
Speaker 3: One star? All right, one star?
Speaker 1: We now are approaching something that, of course is Sabrina's favorite. Uh. Part of today is even more I think, well, it's blackjack, So is what we're doing. And she just told us how she gets scared a little bit. What we've done, though, to make the game a little easier is I'm gonna have eleven strangers come in to your house right now and surround you as you are playing Blackjack. No, okay, so our feature is called Blackjack.
Speaker 3: Of course.
Speaker 1: Producer Jensen put this together for I like to say us, but it's really for Sabrina.
Speaker 3: You ruin My Life.
Speaker 1: Is obviously set in Las Vegas and the casinos that the city is known for, but as far as gambling, we only see Dexter's obsession with beating blackjack. So to find out how much we actually know about the movie's favorite table game, we will be given a scenario out of a hand, and we have to decide if we should hit stand, double down, or split three out of five correct answers as dictated by.
Speaker 3: The Book of Blackjack odds wins. So here we go first hand.
Speaker 7: And also, you don't have a ton of time. I'm going to give you about ten seconds each.
Speaker 1: Okay, great, you have okay, wait, and so hit yeah, hit stand, double downer slip. So the first hand we have is a king and a four and the dealer showing a nine. I'm gonna say, oh, fourteen, the dealer's got a nine.
Speaker 7: You have to hit yeah, you have to Okay, that's the first one, right, I mean I also think like maybe you should count to three and then both say it at the same time.
Speaker 3: But oh, okay, that's fair, that's fair. Okay, let'll do one good Okay, first, we're good. We have a five and a four.
Speaker 1: The dealer is showing a seven, right, yeah, one, two.
Speaker 7: Three hit all right? I would have also accepted double okay, yeah, also just a double? Great okay, two for two?
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: You have a king and an eight. The dealer is showing a jack. Stand all right, we are already in the lead. That's it, that's you will Yeah, eights, have two for fun. I'd look at Sabrina sanction like a gamble. She's probably in at.
Speaker 2: I know, but my heart is beating so hard up for you, and my palms are sweety.
Speaker 3: I just love that. That's the best.
Speaker 1: And it's like I just want to see a random waitress walk by and like you want to drink onme.
Speaker 3: You have two eights. The dealer is showing a four one two three split.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 7: I mean you guys both know this game very well. Is this going to be a double five for five? This would be our first double five are easy?
Speaker 2: These are easier.
Speaker 5: Let's see.
Speaker 3: Here we go.
Speaker 1: You have an ace and a six. The dealer has an eight, one two, three hit.
Speaker 7: Wow, five for five our first ever please enter like a party sound effect here, Yes.
Speaker 3: Yes, to change, to change change.
Speaker 7: Little did we know this would be the one.
Speaker 3: That's the best.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you, by the way, like never get these hands, I get like a like a like a two and like a six.
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 2: I never get good hands.
Speaker 3: We did it. We got five for five.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you, Producer Jensen. I'm sorry to do that to you. You need to go to SAP now can we do some Sabrina seas?
Speaker 2: So there's obviously there's so many things say about the commercials, but it's not about the movie. I gotta stay focused. But before we didn't mention that we got another one, and I can't remember if we've gotten them on all of them or if it's just been one. But of the like Michael Eisner with like the cast, like it's like a whole introuzz buck it was it. Oh I saw her, she was that way go tango anyway?
Speaker 3: Did you say hi? Yes?
Speaker 2: I did, And her husband was there too, so it was really nice to see them. So fuzz Buckle was the last time, so I was like, oh, I was like super excited to see this. However, we got the same or similar Mickey voice. Yeah, like in no way it sounds like Mickey. I just was like, oh gosh, Will's gonna have to say something. I can't believe you didn't say anything. And then I actually kind of liked the crazy inventions. I it was a giant thing to me. It's so eighties. It was so big, so was everything, like the computers are big. Like everything was just like so giant back then, right, So it's like his little like contraption. But I also loved the fact that we got another look into some future actual things that we have nowadays, like a smart watch yep saw. I mean, I don't know if this key card thing was already happening or whatever. But I liked the key cards, and then I liked the idea of how they malfunctioned, because they always seem sketchy and the first time like I really thought about a key card, going, how do I know that the person before me didn't have this same card? Like, how do you really.
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: So anyway, it just made me kind of think like, oh wow, I guess they were made at this time in the eighties. Moving back a little bit, did it throw you off at all? Why he had a solo cup in the bank while he was banking.
Speaker 3: Like Joe, Oh, I didn't even notice it. It's because he had to he had to spill it.
Speaker 2: Well, he had to spill it. But I was going to does he have this yellow solo cup like it's like a full blown like so he just came.
Speaker 3: From a fraternity party, right.
Speaker 2: Bryant, giant, big, old bright and solo cup and then then he spills it and I went, oh, I guess that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was it.
Speaker 1: But that's how that's all bank fraud took in the in the eighties. Was just a solo cup full of diet.
Speaker 2: Coke and then just the last one. Oh, how did he get the room? How did he get that giant suite?
Speaker 3: Was it back? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Back in the day, especially if you went in, I'm sure you get a good room now, But if you went in back in the day and you got a fifty thousand dollars line of credit, they probably would have put you in pretty fast.
Speaker 7: But because that is too Sabrina, Yeah, so he only has fifty thousand dollars basically because they've seen the bank number.
Speaker 2: How much would that room be? Like that room was giant.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so you're telling me that if someone proved they had fifty thousand dollars, they got the ball or sweet, that's weird.
Speaker 1: It was what would fifty thousand dollars in the eighties would be what like one hundred and twenty grand? Now maybe a lot, but at I mean it's a lot to drop it a casino, right. If I walked in with one hundred and twenty thousand dollars line of credit, they probably put me in a nice room with them.
Speaker 7: But you're weird because they see you have that number and they're just willing to just give it all to you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: I guess they don't understand the line of credit. I've never gone in with like and gotten a line of credit. I mean, it's like you give them your whole.
Speaker 3: Out passion, you get cap Yeah. Do they still do lines of credit?
Speaker 7: Or is that an old Simol Vegas thing. We were in Vegas and I saw it happen a lot.
Speaker 2: Really had no idea what that was. I've never done Vegas that way. It's like you just more so get you know, pay thirty dollars to get your money out of the ATM.
Speaker 1: It was nine to ninety nine for me to get money out of the ATM. It cost me ten dollars to get my money exactly.
Speaker 2: And then the last thing was you did mention one the foot thing. They had a really weird way of flirty because when they're out by the pool and she sits down, he then rarely says like, oh, I thought you were so much taller than that.
Speaker 3: And I can eat spaghetti off your head.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like that's because I'm sitting down. He goes, oh, yeah, well from here, I can eat the spaghetti off your head, and she goes, I guess that's what she.
Speaker 7: What can I tell you my thoughts on that? I actually have kind of a hot.
Speaker 3: Like do you wait, well, how can you have a hot take on that? Right?
Speaker 7: Here's my hot take. Paul Riser, big star, you know, getting a bunch of offers, is told that he's going to be working across from Tom Cruise's ex wife, Mimi Rodgers, who's absolutely stunning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he says.
Speaker 7: No one's going to believe it, And so they add in all these things about women just randomly talking to him and making sure that we know he's very attractive.
Speaker 3: Oh, maybe that that's it.
Speaker 7: He was given in a bunch of like flirty things to prove that he would actually get Mimi Rodgers.
Speaker 3: Oh god, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Actually, this wasn't Tom Cruise's ex wife. This at the time in nineteen eighty seven wife current wife.
Speaker 3: She was married to Tom Cruise at the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's okay, interesting, that's totally interesting. Yeah, that's definitely could be it because it was weird.
Speaker 2: It was the flirting was so weird. The eating spaghetti off her head. Yeah, she was kind of like, if that's what.
Speaker 1: You well, that was really you did. Have you never heard that was really sexy in the eighties?
Speaker 3: Spaghetti eating? Oh my god, No.
Speaker 2: You're not getting me on this.
Speaker 7: Isn't there a thing for that? Will come on movie history? Isn't nine and a half have food stuff in it?
Speaker 3: Nine and a half weeks had had a huge food thing. Yeah, that was like their thing.
Speaker 2: The only thing I've ever seen was spaghetti and adorable cuteness is from Lady in the Tramp with the kid with the two dogs. Like, other than that, spaghetti's not sexy.
Speaker 1: It's because it's because you ain't eating the Rise of That's all I gotta say. I don't want to any It is, now, of course, time to rate our film. I think you're going first this time, souse. I think I went first last time? Or no, No, I think Yell went Yell went first, and then you went second.
Speaker 3: I think so I go first. I go first.
Speaker 1: Our options for this week again, let's do one out of ten. No, let's do one out of fifteen. But we're gonna make ten the highest is what we're gonna do. Uh do we want to do one out of ten Las Vegas wizarding students, one out of ten cool in the Gang performances, giant blackjack, stomach computers, casual bank frauds, one out of ten, useless diner scenes, one out of ten, Howie's creepy.
Speaker 3: Friends, one on a ten tough cornish.
Speaker 1: Game, hen one at a ten Dexter's Feet, or one out of ten forever yackeys. I think I'm gonna pick this time. It's my turn, right, because I want to hear you say it. We're gonna do one out of ten. Dexter's Feet is what we're coming off with, ye you No, we're gonna do Dexter's Feet because it's creepy and weird.
Speaker 3: I let me tell you something.
Speaker 1: Yaki is so cool he doesn't need our help. So if I'm rating first, then this was a strange movie for me. It was again great cast, especially in its day, looks cool because you're in Vegas, you get to see Vegas of the eighties. But the story to me made very little sense. I found the relationship to be a little bit creepy. I thought the bad lady was frankly the lady that anybody should have given this child to A.
Speaker 3: Huge Paul Reiser fan, big solet moon Fry fan.
Speaker 1: So you know, I can't go more than five point five Dexter's Feet for this movie.
Speaker 3: Again not an awful movie.
Speaker 1: Watching it with the commercials from the eighties made it like kind of an all around experience, which made it cooler. Without those, it probably wouldn't have been a five point five. I think the point five came from just being able to watch the commercials. But this was just the story was very muddled in this movie. Great eighties cast, looked cool, muddled story five point five Dexter's Feet, Yeah, what do you got?
Speaker 2: I'm right around that as well. I thought there was like a lot of holes, a lot of questions, not sure where we were going, like we've said, unnecessary scenes all together. Like we said, we didn't hit the ninety minute mark. We could have cut those scenes, gotten a little bit closer. Yeah, but in all honesty, I really love watching movies from this era. And yeah, truly the commercials just it made it worth the watch for me. It I remembered a few of them, didn't remember a lot of them, but like, it was definitely if you're looking for kind of a nostalgic night, like this isn't the best movie, but you definitely still get that really great level of nostalgia, and that I think is something everyone's wanting. And they made me like the movie more, made me kind of forget, made me push back because I was thinking about being in that era and you know, their relationship didn't I because I allowed myself to go there, it didn't bother me. If that was a movie now in twenty twenty five that would drive the hell like me crazy, I would just it would just I would hate it. Right, So it bumped mine up a little bit. I'm going with six point five, Okay, Dexter's Food. There you go because of that nostalgia aspect, and I think that's really what our podcast is about is finding like that nostalgia And truly it's weird to say, but the commercials held its own.
Speaker 3: That's I agree. The commercials are the best part for me, and it really was.
Speaker 2: It was it was fun. And of course I mean watching so like she's on her elements. She's just absolutely adorable, and she is adorable.
Speaker 1: She was an icon, she was and she certainly has an energy when she's on screen.
Speaker 2: Absolutely she She's just so cute. And I did love the little bit of over the top Disney the boat in the fountain, the ice, the cake that they made, like all that, the her bedroom, all that stuff is what I was looking for when I was watching those movies back in the day, still do today. So I'm going with that. Six point five.
Speaker 3: Well, there you go, everybody.
Speaker 1: I think it's fair you ruin My life is again available on the youtubes if you want to go and check it out.
Speaker 3: And our next movie, Sabrina It's Time. Yes, we're taking.
Speaker 1: On Cheetah Girls too, and I couldn't be more excited.
Speaker 3: We're gonna cheatah chatter all about it.
Speaker 1: So you can watch it on Disney Plus for a little research if you want and this week on the dedicated magical Rewine Feed, We've got a Hall of Fame guest back on the show. It's one of our dcom daddies. Ooh, sounds strange even when I say it. Writer Stu Krieger is coming back, That's right. He penned basically every movie we love, Going to the Matt Smart House, Zenn True Confessions, The poof Point, Gotta Kick It Up, cow Bells, Freaky Friday, I've run out of breath because the man has done so many things.
Speaker 3: The list goes on and on.
Speaker 1: Let's take a listen to what you can expect from our return Rendezvous with a Disney Channel legend.
Speaker 5: Here's how it would play out as a series, and the idea is going to be that Xena was sent down to Earth to run a space camp to train the kids who are going to be going to space. Okay, And part of that was so it was much more sustainable on a series budget.
Speaker 3: Tonight we're on Earth. Yeah, So we sold that.
Speaker 5: That's what they bought. That's what we're doing. Come in Friday morning for a production meeting. Before I ever got to the production meeting, I got a call and said the series has been canceled.
Speaker 3: It was so much fun.
Speaker 1: He is full of stories and anecdotes and honestly, he's just a real OJ So don't miss our new long form talk with him, available this week on the Magical Rewind podcast feed, and for more info, you can follow us at the Magical Rewind pod on the Instagram Machine.
Speaker 3: Now Cheetah girls too. I'm so excited.
Speaker 1: You have no idea how excited I am to see this. I know, and like this is all your dancing stuff like you Oh, I'm oh, I'm so excited for this. I have not been this excited a movie in a while that we've been watching zombies too, all that stuff.
Speaker 3: I'm really looking forward to that, but seeing you kicking it, forget it. I can't wait. So please join us next time. Bye everybody,