Speaker 1: From UFOs to psychic powers and government conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn the stuff they don't want you to know. A production of Iheartrading.
Speaker 2: Hello, welcome back to the show. My name is Matt, my name is Noel.
Speaker 3: They called me Ben. We're joined as always with our super producer Paul, Mission Control decand most importantly, you are here. And that makes this the stuff they don't want you to know, Folks. This may be the beginning of an ongoing series and ongoing journey. We're looking at mysterious inventors, their claims, the allegations of conspiracy surrounding them, and maybe taking a crack of what happened to a few of them. At the end, we'd love to hear from you. We are only going to get to a few today, which is why we'll need to do more episodes in the future. Let's talk a little bit about invention. It's like the human superpower. Here are the facts.
Speaker 4: Humans, it turns out, are not the only animals that use tools. It's something that exists in the proper animal kingdom. Otters, crows, elephants, for example, dolphins, All of these creatures. These crafty creatures have the ability to use parts of their environment in ways that assist them in their daily lives, in completing tasks, and oftentimes will spontaneously attempt to make tools to.
Speaker 3: Solve a problem in the while.
Speaker 4: Think of an elephant perhaps gripping a stick with its trunk to you know, gouge out a hole of some kind, or to you know, move something around, you know.
Speaker 3: To extend its reach of fence. Right, that's going around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, But we've seen octopuses do some weird stuff with stuff right for their own purpose that we can't yet really fully understand. But can we get an idea like, oh, maybe that was the goal there. But humans are the ones that have an idea like that, Right, use a stick for something? You go, well, what if this stick was attached to this other thing? Well what if that was attached to this you know, creating a sophisticated tool, and you know, all the way up to creating the phone that you're listening to this.
Speaker 3: On, or you know. Yeah, I think in thematic terms, at some point it's like what if I make a stick large enough to smack the planet? Classic human? I think there's even there are multiple Simpsons references and stuff like that. It's true, right, the human drive for invention is so ubiquitous and so natural that if you're listening and you are human this evening, then you probably have some sort of invention rattling around in the back of your mind. And it happens so often. We've talked about this in the past, that humans independently will often create similar things near simultaneously, Like how many people invented the typewriter? A bunch of people did. I only know about that because when I went to the Mark Twain house, the guide took particular pleasure and shouten Freud in saying Mark Twain was terrible with money. He invested in the wrong form of typewriter.
Speaker 2: Dude, Well, some people invented typewriters and built factories to build their to build their own typewriters that never went anywhere, but they still made enough money within that time period, that short time period to buy an island. I'm just thinking you want in particular, But it's just it's crazy to think that inventing something, if you do it right, even if it's just short lived, it can be insanely lucrative.
Speaker 3: MM yeah, agreed. Even if the invention itself doesn't pan out in its initial application, right, there's still sometimes there's a heist about it. It depends on the motivations of the inventor. And I mean, look, there's also this thing that I think we continually returned to, which is that humans are very good at inventing things and also very very good at losing things. So something maybe invented some sort of technique like Damascus steel or what have you in the past, or Greek fire, and you might forget about it as a civilization for hundreds or thousands of years. Then you reinvent it later. Like I think people just recently figured out how some Greco Roman communities made really good cement or concrete.
Speaker 2: We made a video on Damascus steel, and I think I can't remember we talked about that form of concrete or not.
Speaker 3: We talked about the Bagdad battery, that's for sure. Yeah, and it Yeah, it's ah man, it's so cool. These things sometimes get called anachronistic inventions because later researchers will say, well, why does this anti Cathera mechanism exist in this time period, et cetera, and sort of like as though it were unstuck in time, or at the very least a super prescient thinker is behind it, and maybe there wasn't even a proper application for it at the time, but then later it sort of comes back around to a time where it's necessity becomes clearer. There's a great Mitchell and Web sketch about Leonardo da Vinci. I don't want to spoil it, but everybody check out that show. I mean, it's true though, too. Like we like to think of inventors as a single person making some great arriving at some great epiphany, but often they're improving upon previously existing ideas, and for the big inventions, some of the early real world changing and shaking stuff, we're never going to know who invented or discovered it. It's going to be mysterious. It might as well be mythical, like who was the first person who looked at fire and was like, I should take that into where I live in a way that doesn't burn everything down. Well, it's like a puzzle piece, you know.
Speaker 4: I mean, you can't necessarily claim to be the first one that ever solved a puzzle, you know, because there's a certain intuition behind it. And that can happen among multiple parties that have never met each other before. I believe it's called parallel thinking and a lot of these very quintessential, kind of intuitive uses of environment. That environment was present everywhere, and all it took was someone to kind of poke the right thing or make the right little stumble and accidentally figure out that you could strike these surfaces together and create sparks.
Speaker 3: So it's right, It is nearly.
Speaker 4: Impossible, and oftentimes when you get into more specific kind of inventions, it becomes the source of a lot of debate and litigation.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. It was Brongthar, by the way, she was the first pyromancer. She figuredured out the whole fire.
Speaker 3: Thing in her area. I was thinking about, like, you know, to that point, let's say a wildfire sweeps through an area, Like how did humans learn to cook? Did a wildfire sweep through an area? Someone finds a dead animal and they're like, wow, this is pretty crispy actually, and they invent the word crispy, and then it's off to the races and now we have Michelin stars. But it's true too about the idea of where who can be ascribed as the inventor like Archimedes screw. We've talked about a little bit. Uh, this is still a common myth. Archimedes didn't invent that, or if he did, he wasn't the first person. It's like, who's the first person who figured out to be quite crass, you should wipe your butt after you defecate. It was a crapper guy, Thomas crapper.
Speaker 4: But that's of debate right right the toilet because it's the better story. And Archimedes invented so much other stuff. He was the biggest name. He gets lumped in with a lot of stuff that he I mean, not even a diss on him, like he was just grabbing on everyone's ideas. It's just more the way history likes to put a little bow on everything.
Speaker 3: You know, we love a brand, we love a franchise, Shout out cosmics. You know, he probably did dig the concept of the screw, the water moving device, but he certainly wasn't the first person to invent it. That's why we're saying all this to give you the background, folks. Invention itself is an inherently mysterious pursuit, even if all the research is transparent. The problem itself. What you're attempting to solve is a mystery, and this becomes dangerous. We'll probably get into scientists, I hope in a future episode, but we've talked about this. Governments and other organizations have close eyes on recent search and invention in certain genres, and as we're recording right now, there are hundreds of people, this is not hyperbole, hundreds of people in the United States who invented something that Uncle Sam took control of and they cannot legally speak about it for the rest of their lives.
Speaker 2: Dude, Ken, I kind of just bring up one thing that we found in the research here. There's a fascinating story of a scientist who I think in nineteen eighty three, moved to Huntsville, Alabama, started working with the university there, and was working specifically on anti gravity technology. And this is early like anti gravity isn't maybe the right word, gravitational field manipulation technology in the eighties, and she was working on it, getting grants, publishing papers on the stuff having it has to do with superconductors way back then about how to like just manipulate fields of gravity. Then she kind of falls off the radar, not publishing anything, and it's when she gets I think it's a DoD contract to begin, she like, she left the university, started her own business to try and monetize this tech that she wanted to build, right the DD came in and then nobody has heard from her in a long time. It's an ongoing mystery that you can check out right now. There's a great YouTube video from Barely Sociable about it from like twenty twenty one. But anyway, it's weird because she's alive. She seems to be fine, but she can't talk about what she's doing because now it's for the government.
Speaker 3: And what's the name of the scientist for.
Speaker 2: Nam Lee nig dash l I.
Speaker 3: That's quite a long time to be off the grid, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm? Though the last communications were like the early two thousands.
Speaker 3: I'm sure she talks with her handler on a semi regular basis. Right, So we're talking about things like the Invention Secrecy Act of nineteen teen fifty one. Check out our episode on that. And the question is, like, this is something doctor Lee is probably wondering as well. What happens if you're one of these inventors, let's say you because you don't know what your end result will be. When you start experimenting, you can aim toward things. But then, just like the guy who invented the microwave, you get in situations and then you're onto something totally different. I mean, like you could start working on something innocuous, like the furrito, which is this brilliant combination or I should say, quite ambitious combination of fa broth in the typical burrito. Now, some people say it can't be done.
Speaker 2: You got to thicken that thing up, right, I've.
Speaker 3: Got a lot of stuff going on.
Speaker 4: You a soup sandwich.
Speaker 3: Oh right, I wanted to save this one. I wanted to save furrito for this, but because I was thinking the same thing all the soup sandwich. But but yeah, I'm onto stuff. But what if that accidentally leads like this innocuous research initially, What if it leads to something that all of a sudden would be world changing.
Speaker 4: It happens all the time. You know, what was it the chocolate bar melting in the pocket? You know that was a total accident that basically led to the invention of the microwave. And then the microwave is sort of obviously there's a very you know, home friendly use of that. But then the technology has applications well beyond that, like you know, in terms of radiation studying radiation and how you know, how it interacts on the body, and there's all kinds of other uses of microwave microwave technology, you know, for military applications.
Speaker 3: Percy Spencer shout out, Ben.
Speaker 2: Look, I'm going to say this really quietly, and I'm so sorry. Fu Heata.
Speaker 3: All right, no judgment, there's no judgment in brainstorming. Uh Fucksidilla? All right, well, fuck you, Sadilla. We've got ways to go, you know. But what happens if you are one of those inventors? We tell you again, without hyperbole, fellow conspiracy realist, this is but one of what will probably be a recurring series because, as it turns out, there are many, many inventors who have a lot of mystery surrounding their invention, and some of them may have died as a result. Here's where it gets crazy. Just cars, even just to the world of cars. It's nuts. Like when you think of someone who invents, you know, the catalytic converter, or when you think of, you know, the guys working at Mercedes, Benz and stuff. You don't usually think of a lot of intrigue, right like what if?
Speaker 2: What if it could have twelve v's arrest this man.
Speaker 3: There's too many v's, you know. We talked like Stanley Meyer allegedly invented a water fuel cell and he it's been dismissed as a perpetual motion machine. But of course there are tons and tons of different theories about how that went down. There's a guy, Tom Ogle who will talk about who unfortunately, well we'll get to him. But maybe we start, just for an example, the case we're laying out for these future episodes, maybe we start with Rudolph Diesel. You guys can tell I've got a little bit of a horse in the race or a little bit of piston in the machine, because my name for today's recording is hashtag Justice for.
Speaker 4: Diesel, which is kind of very techno, kind of banger of a name.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 4: So, what's the deal with Diesel, this guy who invented the diesel engine? And why is his case so kind of shrouded in mystery. It's not as so he invented a weapon of mass destruction. I mean, you know, diesel is a fuel. It is something that promotes you know, commerce and productivity. Obviously, a lot of large vehicles that that you know, help ship and receive all of the goods and stuff that we rely on that they use diesel, So that's a big deal. So he's definitely kind of a captain of industry in that respect, not as though he invented some sort of world annihilating you know, bomb of some kind. So his name Rudolph Christian Carl Diesel, which isn't the longest name we're going to have.
Speaker 3: In this Evening's episodes.
Speaker 4: So yeah, not by a long shot, and I look forward to the next one, which is one for the books. But he was born on March eighteenth, eighteen fifty eight in Paris. He wanted to be an engineer since he was a very small German boy living in Paris.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and what so that's when was he born.
Speaker 3: Eighteen fifty eight?
Speaker 2: It's fifty eight and then the first engine officially is like thirty a little less than thirty years later, is that correct?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's around thirties. So like he's in his mid thirties by the eighteen nineties, and he's super deep into fuel and engine efficiency experiments in particular, and he has a couple of patents and he's got one in eighteen ninety two, I think. And then he goes back and corrects himself because he's figuring out his theory. He's cooking live and he doesn't really invent the concept of this engine, but he makes it viable, right. He vastly improves it such that it works, and that's why they call it the diesel engine. Now you can see the first diesel engine that was ever successfully tested over in Munich today it burst in creativity. It's called the Motor two fifty four hundred. He does that in eighteen ninety seven. So like to your point, Matt, yeah, he's he's in his thirties, he's still a young lad.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, well, I guess what I mean is the first car engine that was ever developed by Mercedes Benz is eighteen eighty five. So it's interesting that he's I'm certain he's aware of that as a thing, right, the views of that invention has come across. So he's do you guys ever think of the word tinkerer like you would take an engine like that and you just make small adjustments. See what happens, and then okay, well what if this occurred, What if we switch this piece out right and then add another piece in between these two major functioning parts. It's just really interesting. And that's the way I'm maybe picturing this this person.
Speaker 3: I think you're absolutely right, dude, because we also we have to remember that in this context, yes, motors exist, steamship steam engines exist, they're all woefully cartoonishly inefficient, especially compared to modern standards. So the diesel engine is revolutionary, and it clearly anybody worth their salt in any number of industries, they clearly know this can apply to them and it could change the game. And so by nineteen twelve, there are more than seventy thousand diesel engines all around the world. Mostly they're working for in generators or they're working in factories. Business is super good. And if you are anybody but Rudolph Diesel and you hear about his life and his invention, you think this guy is basically Jeff Bezos, you know, or like Dean Kyman level. You think he is super super duper wealthy. You think that he has no no issues other than making time to sign all those autographs and checks but uh.
Speaker 2: Way are we saying he wasn't what he was? Probably crazy wealthy, right.
Speaker 3: Dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun. Okay, So let's fast forward. It's nineteen thirteen September twenty ninth. Our boy Rudy is going on a trip. That's right.
Speaker 4: Diesel gets on a ship, the s S. Dresden and Antwerp on his way to meet a group called the Consolidated Diesel Manufacturing Company in London. And while he's kicking it with these folks, they attend a groundbreaking of a new diesel engine plant and he has another little errand to ron. While he's out there, Diesel is going to meet with members representatives of the British Navy and talk about installing his engines in their submarines.
Speaker 2: Hold up, pull up. So this is fascinating to me. Where the manufacturing plant we're talking about here is actually building the engines themselves, right, This isn't a plant that is using the engines, it's creating them, right, yes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, And they have an annual meeting, so that is there's nothing sketchy about that. That's just good pr Yeah.
Speaker 2: But still he's got a huge manufacturing engine that's building engines, right, and then uh, he's meeting with the Navy, which could be not only lucrative, but like you just think about that, even that just that first handshake deal. I well, let's develop, let's let's work together. We like you Diesel, let's see what you can do for our sums.
Speaker 3: We like the we like the cut of your jib, we like the pumpy your fuel which sounds weirdly like in your window. And maybe there was some at play, but he so, like you said, he's he's talking with the he's talking with this private industry, uh congloberate basically, and they are going or consortium, I should say, and this is going to be really good for business. This is also really good pr for them. But he has he as a guy with German roots, is also very well aware that Germans marines are already using diesel engines. And so this second meeting is maybe a little less publicized. That's not the big headline grabber. He hangs out with some folks who are on the boat with him, and the way that they put it in the New York Times, which reports on this, he has he's just out there. They're in a good mood. They're like chain smoking and talking whatever the early nineteen hundreds version of trash talk is or small talk, I guess. And then round about ten pm, one of the guys says, well, okay, well let's knock it off, you know, let's go to bed, and so he agrees one of his last statements, or he agrees. He goes into his cabin and then he comes back out and he hasn't changed his clothing or anything. He shakes hands with his compatriots. He tells one of them, all right, I'll see you in the morning, and he sets away wake up call with the crew for six fifteen am. What do you say? We pause for a word from our sponsor. What you're here?
Speaker 2: What? Okay?
Speaker 4: Cliffhangerer Man relaxed.
Speaker 3: He hats for a cruise line and we've returned. So let's say fast forward deeply. It's six fifteen am. He gets the wake up call. What happens.
Speaker 4: Well, in the morning, his cabin is empty and his bed has actually not been slept in at all. His bed was not bed clothes, bed closer sheets, but his night his his night shirt, his bedtime attire, were neatly folded and laid out, and his watch had been left where it could be seen from the bed, not to mention that his and overcoat are also neatly stowed beneath the after deck railing, which I guess is sort of a kind of like a you know, like in a hotel room where you might have like a little closet built into the wall.
Speaker 2: So hold up, So he is publicly saying good night to people at like ten pm, I'll see you in the morning, Yeah, see you bye, going in, nobody sees him again. That's it. He clearly got ready for bed right, or somebody made it to look as though he got ready for bed right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: His disappearance throws the world for a loop. It's not the kind of news they can crack down on because his upcoming, his upcoming event at that factory was already in the public sphere. So we see, even without the world of social media, we see this proliferation of conspiracy theories. Almost immediately, people say this guy was super rich, you know, he had every reason to live. He invented a world changing engine. But after his disappearance, as investigations continued, new details revealed that his public image was not his real life. Instead, the guy had some bad health. We don't know the degree of it, and perhaps more importantly, he was in serious debt, which, weirdly enough, happens to a lot of inventors.
Speaker 2: So what did he So we know that he made a lot of money at some point, and was making a lot of money. I guess that money was being funneled into places that were then losing money.
Speaker 3: That's the idea, unclear, quite possibly against sketchier though a curiouser and curiouser his spouse, Martha diesel shortly after his disappearance. She opens a he gave her. Now, everybody, put yourself in this situation. Imagine what you would do. Your partner is going on a big trip, and your partner kind of controls the finances, right, which would be common for marriages of that time in that part of the world. And then he says, hey, I'm going to leave this bag with you. And then you say, okay, you know, my dear husband, what's in the bag? What should I do with it? And he goes, well, don't open it until like next week, and then what.
Speaker 2: And this is just before just before he leaves. Oh, dude, this is pseudo side right, come on?
Speaker 3: So she uh, I love it. So she uh she waits, she gets the news of his disappearance. She says, all right, I'm going to open the bag. It is a bag full of cash. It's like a we don't know if it was a Duffel bag. It probably wasn't, but it was. It was a big It was full of like twenty grand in German marks, which is over one hundred and twenty thousand dollars today. And then that wasn't all that was in the bag.
Speaker 2: Well, wait a minute, German marks. I guess it depends on the year, right, because German marks have fluctuated a little bit, a bit, a little bit. Oh sorry, my brain thinking about that.
Speaker 3: This is you know, this is still before the times of their great fluctuations that would come.
Speaker 2: So and Ben, you said the bank accounts were completely empty.
Speaker 3: That's the other thing that was in the bag, Like Jay, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's nothing in there.
Speaker 3: It's all in this bag, right that they basically have pennies in their bank accounts. And then fast forward, you know the world is still asking what the heck happened to Rudolph? And then on October tenth. Officially, we arrive at an answer.
Speaker 4: A Belgian sailor aboard a north sea steamship spots a body and the water just drifting, and upon further investigation, it turned out that the body belonged to Rootolph Diesel.
Speaker 3: Officially right, officially, I don't know. I think it's a fishy explanation. But yeah, so they say they found his body. They verified his body, and it looked as though he somehow went over over the side of the boat and then drowned and his corpse floated for multiple days until it was discovered. But what happened?
Speaker 2: Yeah, do do we know who he owed money to with his investments at all? Or is that all still kind of a mystery?
Speaker 3: Well, there are there are competing theories about this, and they get a little wilder and wilder the further out we go, Like you'll you'll see people saying that he had serious debts with titans of industry like the Rockefellers or what have you, or had fallen on the bad side of oil interest. But it's still kind of unclear. Most people would argue at this time, and even now that he took his own life, that he committed suicide purposely jumped overboard because of either his dire health or his dire finances.
Speaker 2: Got it, geez, I guess just if you did have a list of people that he owed money to, you'd have a list of people with motive to take him out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, And that list should be something that you could find, right if this is not suicide, if this is indeed homicide. And the problem is that with those lists with that idea of documentation, if someone commits suicide or pseudo side and they have a partner that will still be legally biologically alive, then usually they have come some kind of life insurance grift going on, right, And it doesn't appear that he made any untoward kind of new life insurance accounts, you know, like the day he leaves on the dress. So there are a lot of theories that argue, no, no, no, no, no, this guy didn't take his own life. He certainly wasn't planning to. He was murdered. And it makes I gotta be honest, not to be credulous, but it makes more and more sense, or at least there's I'm still on the fence about it, you guys, But the way you look into it, he wasn't He wasn't super happy with how his invention was being used because very powerful forces wanted it. What are you going to tell the German government, No, I have a problem with what you're doing. They don't care. They've already got the U boats.
Speaker 4: So at this point, the murder theory posits that someone, perhaps a German operative, may have engineered his death in order to look like a suicide. We know, that's incredibly common, you know, I mean, just you put the gun in the person's hand, wipe off your prints, et cetera. Or feed them an overdose of their own medication something like that. There's any number of ways this can be done. All of this in the hopes of preventing him from spreading his world changing technology to the enemy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the British. It's fascinating to imagine that the same technology gets used on two sides of like warrying of two warring factions, right, same engine in the tanks that are firing at each other. Really weird stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, shout out military industrial complex, right Yeah.
Speaker 2: And in the end it's the manufacturers that are like what.
Speaker 3: Especially if you're the only entity manufacturing a specific thing, right, Like, hey, prices have gone up. Man, let's just let's you and I hope they don't go up again. Now go ahead and sign.
Speaker 2: You couldn't need more ammunition, right, like, ah, we got just several palettes waiting for you, go ahead, exactly right.
Speaker 3: And what happened to that palette of a billion dollars in Iraq straight cash?
Speaker 2: No, it fell from an airplane with a parachute and then it got squirreled away somewhere.
Speaker 3: FI currency is such an amazing invention morality aside, but right, so like to what you're saying, No, the idea then would be that German operatives got on the boat and nipped this stuff in the bud before he could meet with British forces. It doesn't stop there, though, because some people say, yeah, he was murdered, but it wasn't German intelligence or some proxy of the Instead, it was a tentacle of big oil interest and that's where the different like tycoons of industry come into play. The argument is that a few years before he disappeared, he said, you know what else about the diesel engine? It can run on peanut oil?
Speaker 2: My friends, Oh yeah, oh, my son was just learning who is the inventor with all the peanuts here in George Washington Carver. George Washington Carver, he just did a whole huge lesson on all of the other peanut inventions and peanut related things that George Washington Carver worked on. Peanut butter is the only thing that he didn't invent. He invented there. It was a list of like four hundred different things, including peanut oil, like specifically peanut oil that could be combustible and used in.
Speaker 3: An engine like this biodiesel.
Speaker 2: Crazy.
Speaker 3: Sorry, It's amazing though, and I feel like Carver would be great for ridiculous history too. Maybe. So there's another theory on this. So we've got suicide and we've got homicide. The other theory certainly more tasty. This has the umami of intrigue. What if Diesel didn't die at all? What if he did commit pseudo side to your point, Matt, what if he faked his death with help from the British and emigrated to Canada or Australia some other anglophone friendly country and spent the rest of his life in obscurity designing submarine engines for the fight against Germany and World War One.
Speaker 2: Dude, I mean, I wouldn't put that past like the intelligence forces right back then? Was the oss? Even around pre World War One? Was there any there must have been something like that, some kind of I don't know, maybe not the US, maybe it was British.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you have to be right, even if it was just a couple of you know, like friends of Queen and country kind of ad hoc thing. Of course, those those kind of operations are as old as the first time more than two tribes met to each met together. Right.
Speaker 2: Oh. Yeah, the old paper clip goes way back, and there was this.
Speaker 3: You know, there would later be these patterns of abducting scientists and war criminals or aiding them in some kind of escape and keeping it out of the public sphere if the news would be bad optics I mean Washington Posts. They points out that pseudo side, as we've discussed, it asked a lot, It asks a lot of error from investigators and to ask a supreme amount of OPSEC from the people who are faking their deaths. So they say, there are no administrative records, no paper trail at all for this possible life in Canada or some kind of wit sec thing in Australia. There there's no deathbed confession from someone who might have spirited him away. No fellow engineers who would have ever worked on anything have said, you know, they they told us his name was John Doe, but he looked a lot like this Rudolph Diesel guy. There's just no there's no hard evidence for this idea, as interesting as it is, and it'll probably be a mystery for the time being.
Speaker 4: And again, like we were talking about this the other day with Glenn Miller, how you know, this guy at the peak of his game who had just decided to essentially invent the USO and was going overseas to you know, bring cheer and joy to the troops, what motive would.
Speaker 3: He have had to commit pseudo sides?
Speaker 4: You know, I think the more likely scenario is that something went wrong and that his plane was accidentally shot down or was the you know, the victim of a of a malfunction of some kind.
Speaker 3: And I think that similarly the case here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but what if he never got into bed, that is, what did he do? You go out for a smoke, night.
Speaker 3: Walk, the night walk the deck on the deck did have insomnia, But then also, you know, there are no like cameras, there's no strict visitor log. So what if someone who happens to be a passenger or happens to be on the crew stops by, like just after the other folks go and knocks on the door.
Speaker 4: Let me rephrase, pseudo side to me in this case makes zero sense. What does make a lot of sense is that this guy could have been a target because of the power of his invention and what it might mean if he took it global.
Speaker 2: I'm just going to keep in mind the thought that we discussed where he gets taken somewhere else for some kind of military might effort, because to me, weirdly enough, that makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 3: Right right, And also it's it's a nicer ending. It's kind of like it's kind of like when my parents told me our first dog went camping, right, So maybe that's what happened. Maybe maybe Diesel went went camping in Canada. But if you want to learn more about this case, which remains unsolved, by the way, check out the book The Mysterious Case of Rudolph Diesel by Douglas Brunt without spoiling it. He does not agree with the suicide conclusion of the authorities, and it's a heck of a read. I think they just made a deal for it to be adapted into maybe a film or a mini series or something, but keeping keep an eye out for that. And most importantly, please no, folks, he is not Diesel is not the only mysterious inventor we're discussing today. We're going to take a pause for a word from our sponsors, maybe a carburetor company, and then go to the story of tom Ogel. No, this is the name you were super excited about, so we can get back. Can we lean on your your German pronunciation today on this one I will deign to do you proud.
Speaker 4: And we've returned and Ben, thank you so much for this opportunity to flex my young German boy pronunciation. Chops. Today we are going to talk about tom Ogel born Thomas Hans Vanna Peta Wolfgang Dingle Statt.
Speaker 3: Ogel Okay dingle Stott.
Speaker 4: Though it makes that sounds made up, bro, have you. There's this amazing Monty Python sketch. It's about this composer whose name was too long. It was so long that it was just like absurd and the and that the joke becomes every time they say his name, they say the whole name, and it's a Johann Gamble, Putty, devon aus van splendent, Schlittish, Crossbender, fried Dingle, Dangle, Dongle, Dongle, Burstein, von Knacker, Thrasher, Applebanger, Horrowitz, tickle and sick, Grander, naughty, Speltinker, grand lik, Grumblemeyer, Spetwasser, curtly himbal Bissen, ban Vaughen, guten bend, bitter, Imnernberger, Bratwustel, Gushputten, mitt wach, Luber, hanswat gomberber shandanka krbufly like mitter von Olmo because he's he's from Olma. I'm sorry, it's I think honestly, that was maybe a joke based on this guy's name. Granted, there are many other absurdly long names in the German cannon, but yes, Thomas Hans Werner Petter Wolfgang Dingles dot Ogel was born in nineteen fifty three, truly his full name. Like Diesel, he invented a new kind of improvement for engines.
Speaker 3: Yeah you'll hear it, called the ogol or Ogle engine. But what he really claimed to have invented was a modified alternative to the typical carburetor, and he was taking the carburetor out and using a series of things to kind of replace it. And in that replacement he was saying he drastically improved fuel economy. And what's more, he didn't have to build a special car to do it. He could do this with pretty much any car on the road that had a carburetor. And if you let him tinker to that earlier point with your otherwise normal car, all of a sudden, you would get two hundred miles per gallon of fuel.
Speaker 2: Oh, don't do that, don't do that. That sounds great, y'all, but the oil folks are going to perk their ears up real quick they hear that. At least was it in secret? And nobody knew about this at least?
Speaker 3: Oh no, they knew. They knew for sure because he got Thank you for that set up, Matty. He got a lot of media coverage in nineteen seventy nine or nineteen seventy seven. And it makes me to your example, it makes me think that somewhere in the board of Saudi Aramco, a guy stood up and said, there's a disturbance, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he cannot allow this.
Speaker 3: And in nineteen seventy seven, he's based in El Paso. He's a very young dude. Nineteen seventy seven, he drives to from El Paso to another town, New Mexico called Deming, and then he drives back and he only uses two gallons of gas. No, allegedly, And you can read like plenty of media coverage about this. He was open with it. And if any of that's true, it's a game changer. It would rock the auto and energy industries. People would need far less fuel. People would probably also have I don't know, the parts manufacturers, the car manufacturers, they would all be scrambling for this. And the guy is just twenty four years old at this time.
Speaker 2: This is crazy. I can't believe like one hundred miles per gallon average, you know exactly. That's insane.
Speaker 3: That's his claim.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, fair enough, fair enough. But he had applied for a patent, and while he was waiting for that patent to be approved, he continued to tinker and refine, you know, and test the system.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: Kind of a gaggle of lawyers started to work on an agreement between Ogle and the folks backing him regarding royalties if the device were to kind of hit the market. And we are getting a lot of this information from a really fantastic piece by Cynthia Quavas, Isabelle Hernandez, and Ruth Viz at EPCC Library Research Guides.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah. This was solid work on their part and a great way if you want to if you want to get a sense of just the blow by blow of media coverage. This is a pretty comprehensive resource, So do check it out. I'm pretty impressed with the EPCC right now.
Speaker 2: So dude, yeah, Ben, can I just stick on this original article from the old Passo Times that you linked use?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is it's just blowing my mind a little bit. So there's an article that was written in nineteen seventy seven about this by a man named John Dussard I think is how you say his name. This is about that trip we just discussed right where you got crazy gas mileage up here to show a journalist right it is. The vehicle is a Ford Galaxy that got around Gosh, the gas mileage was about twelve miles per gallon in that vehicle and he ten xt to that thing, if not like ten point four xt it.
Speaker 4: Like that.
Speaker 2: I just to really understand, if this is true, how intense of a shift that could have been if that engine, his system were made to go wide in any way.
Speaker 3: And officially, different reporters had examined this. Engineers in the area had talked with him. They said they thought it was legit. It wasn't a hoax. But as far as we know, there were no scientifically rigorous studies of this, of this Ocal engine. And that becomes a problem later because, look, the guy's very, very smart. He's clearly brilliant. He's also very young, and he's not making this in a vacuum. He's a gearhead who likes playing with stuff, and I think we can we've all experienced some form of that, you know, phenomenon. But he is creating this in the middle of the US energy crisis, and he gets a lot of interest from some high muckety MUCKs, at least one oil company, to auto manufact actors. At one point, even the US Air Force started poking around, because you know, fuel is expensive.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So in June twenty second of nineteen seventy eight, El Paso Herald Post had this to say, Ogle sells rights to a gas saving device, and the article stated that the AFS Advanced Fuel Systems Incorporated rather, which is a company in Washington State, had bought the manufacturing and marketing rights to the technology, and the contract specified that Ogle would receive an unspecified amount of advance money, one hundred thousand shares of stock in the company, six percent royalty on sales of each device, a monthly salary, and the rights to visit AFS at will.
Speaker 2: That's pretty sounds pretty solid. That's some island buying moneys are lucky.
Speaker 3: To get one of those, you know what I mean? Like, yeah, six percent on sale of every single device.
Speaker 2: It sounds made up.
Speaker 4: Frankly, guys, would that's a bad deal for the people actually making the stuff, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Speaking his segues, that might be more indicative of AFS because two months after they made this deal, which all three of us just agreed, is not very smart on their part. The SEC came calling and they said, hey, Advanced Fuel Systems, you guys make bad deals. As a matter of fact, you've done a criminally bad job. You have violated federal security laws. And then Ogel is also he's playing the field. He's got other stuff going on. He has created, He's taken some money, and he's created the first of what he hopes will be a chain of you call him computerized diagnostic centers. And before the year was out he closed down that one store he opened. He disconnected his phone, like Ning Lee. He became increasingly more difficult to find, and this weirded some people out, especially the irs, because in May of nineteen eighty, they came calling specifically for him, Tommy Boy. They said, you owe us more than twenty grand in taxes, because just like Rudolph Diesel, this dude's public image was not the same as the actual guy. He was living the high life young, you know, young mid twenties, dumb amounts of money or people offering you dumb amounts of money. He's got a customized limousine he rides everywhere in well.
Speaker 2: He's so he did get that money with that deal with AFS. So he got whatever, at least part of that money, even after they came after AFS.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, he got some money for sure. He had more than fifty financial backers, distinct people and companies. Over time, and he started living kind of wild guys in nineteen eighty one in April, he got a gut shot outside of a bar in northeast Alpasso. He survived. No one was ever charged, but for some reason, while he was in the hospital, the El Paso PD had officers guarding his room.
Speaker 4: Usually happens, well, yeah, but you know, I see the person of notes who's under threat perhaps, or you know, maybe they just decided he deserved a security detail.
Speaker 2: Well see, but here's the other thing. If you're an onlooker, right, maybe they're guarding his room because he was just involved in a shooting. So maybe they're not necessarily even guarding him. Maybe they're like they're in an investigative.
Speaker 3: They're like stakeout, you know, trying to find the purp or maybe it's something that the three of us didn't know. Maybe you can just always request an armed guard when you go to the hospital, that would be cool.
Speaker 4: Or maybe the doc in the box like, yeah, I mean I need to get And then the first Godfather movie, when there's an attempt made on the Godfather of Vido Corleone's life and he's in the hospital, there's you know, cops watching his door, but they end up being crooked cops and they leave so that the bad man can come and kill him. And it's only his son Michael that figures out the plot and gets him out of there and moves him to a different, different suite.
Speaker 3: I'm just in love with the idea of like going anywhere like a hospital or doc in the box and being able to say, Hey, I'm here, I've got a cold. I need an armed guard right where this appointment Actually three? Yeah, check my insurance. Make sure those officers are in network. So there's this other stuff. He apparently had run ins with the law, like reckless driving, arrest, possession of an illegal firearm. These are weird things. He also sued a guy because he had lost a bunch of pool games to the dude, and he said the dude forced him to sign away like twenty two percent of his shares in some like in some weird gambling debt thing.
Speaker 2: Well, guys, come on, we know what the saying is. We know how it goes more money, more issues? Is that how gills money? No problems beclusus. But there's ninety nine of them, the problems at least that exist. But there's one that isn't right.
Speaker 3: And for jay Z and for Tom and his lawyer said something interesting in one of these many legal kerfuffles. He says, look, my client is and paraphrasing here, he's a twenty six year old kid. He is a target for anyone. He is scared by the local I guess CD gambling figures of El Paso, and these people are getting him drunk and taking advantage of him and just fleecing him left and right. So the attorney is painting him as a victim, not some kind of like grifting con artist who's living too high on the hog shout out to the Dale car episode. By the way of car stuff. Oh that's a weird one.
Speaker 2: But is that wait, what is that? I don't know that.
Speaker 4: It's another kind of invention that was killed right or essentially it was just oh wait, what was the deal? Was it kind of a grift in and of itself like the car?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was like over promised, mega under delivered kind of cinema. Okay, God, and it just got weirder and weirder. It's a three part episode. Hopefully it holds up. But we don't know what really happened with Tom. We don't know what his real situation was, and we probably won't know that, at least not publicly for now. Because on August nineteenth, nineteen eighty one, he's twenty six years old. He dies, he has found, his body is found. He collapses at a friend's house. But I think his body is found in the desert, and authorities say, Okay, he overdosed. He overdosed on alcohol and.
Speaker 3: A tranquilizer called darvon. You guys, I don't know too much about drugs, but I assume that would be like a common I guess, recreational drug of the time.
Speaker 4: I guess, so I imagine it would be akin to something like xanax or like a like a a sedative.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: I don't know that it's a thing that has prescribed anymore, and it's probably really really powerful, because drugs back in those days were, and they were they could be very, very dangerous.
Speaker 3: It looks like it's an opioid.
Speaker 4: Is that right? Let's see, Yeah, it's a narcotic.
Speaker 2: Wow, is that interesting pharmaceuticals?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Wow, that's a fun name. Yeah, that's very I just yeah, I don't know, I don't know. Let's see dosage, But what is that? What is it prescribed for? Looks like it treats mild to moderate pain.
Speaker 3: It's a pain kill out of that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, for some reason in my mind, I you know where I think I first heard about this drug. There's a Chuck Pallink book called Invisible Monsters that involves naming of.
Speaker 3: A lot of pills, and that one I think is in there at some point, right, Yeah, well, either way, don't mix those kinds of drugs or substances, folks. Just like with the case of Rudolph Diesel, there are these competing theories that spring up overnight, you know, like the old myth about soldiers and dragons. Teeth pathologists say, Okay, we know it's an overdose. However, based on our evidence, we cannot rule whether this was accidental or whether this was indicative of suicide. And Tom's friends and the lawyer that he's forged the relationship of some sort with at this point because they're always hanging out, because this guy's always up the hijinks. Everybody who knows the guy says, look, did he like to party shore, but he would never have taken twenty Darvon pills in addition to raging. And I you know, I'm not in that world. But it seems like swallowing twenty pills of anything is a lot if the pills work right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Even seriously, even even what what's the most comment like if you're going to take ibuprofen or yeah, twenties too many?
Speaker 3: Twenty's too many? They should redesign the dosage.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So, so now people are saying, did someone have a motive to the point about diesel? Did someone do something to take this guy out? As we mentioned, you have more than fifty different financial backers who are left to fight over his estate. And then as as the time wends on, his invention fades from national interest and his story joins the ranks of other tech suppression tales. There's a documentary about this in late two thousand twenty ten called GasHole that highlights his invention, as well as several other, let's call them controversial inventions in the world of petroleum and automotives. I don't know, man, I watched it. They have a horse in the race too. They are strongly of the opinion that large oil and manufacturing interest shut down inventions that might threaten their current status quo.
Speaker 2: Like the old EV one.
Speaker 3: Like the old ev one bought up and oh, you could only lease them, right, and then at the end of the lease, the company took them all and destroyed them.
Speaker 2: Woo electric cars in the early two thousands, and.
Speaker 3: I believe the first car ever made was also electric, that's right, yeah, or electric carriages. Excuse me, they weren't there you go.
Speaker 2: That's by the way, that first motor and Mercedes Benz motor. I think that motor was invented the same year the Piedmont Driving Club was founded.
Speaker 3: Oh nice, isn't that fun as a celebration.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they didn't need the horses and carriages anymore. They had Mercedes Benz engines. And it's been that way ever since.
Speaker 3: I love the coincidence game. That's like, say, it's like, oh, Tom Ogle died just a few days after I was born. Coincidence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no coincidence there. I just sorry my brain.
Speaker 3: It's fascinating, though, how many things occur in step in history, you know. I also found a list. I was thinking we might check this out off air, but I found a cool list from Popular Mechanics about the quote unquote greatest inventions per year. So you can find the biggest invention on the year of your birth. Pretty neat stuff worth checking out. But this is not the end of the story. I can't believe we we're toward at the end of an episode. We've talked about just two inventors, both of whom died under mysterious circumstances, both of both of whom one of whom invented something that definitely changed the world, and one of whom invented something that he certainly thought could change the world or would have would have.
Speaker 1: Uh, it's.
Speaker 3: So it's kind of doubter because those guys both died. Do we want to do We want to maybe tease someone we're going to explore in a future a future installment of this episode.
Speaker 4: Someone Who's got was Oh yeah, I think this one was pretty near and dear to Matt's heart. Matt, you want to bless us with a tease?
Speaker 2: Well, if this is an inventor slash just all around pretty brilliant person that we've been following for several years now, we've mentioned him a couple of times. Yeah, you may have heard his name, Dean Cayman. I guess connected to the invention of this thing called a segue, that weird little people mover thing. But before he did that. He invented other stuff too, right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: He actually invented like a bionic arm, very ahead of its time. It was called the Luke Arm, like named after Luke Skywalker, who you know, obviously spoiler alert gets his arm chopped off by doth Veda and then has a bionic arm moving forward in the series.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Well, the guy is a prolific inventor of things, mostly in the like biomedical field, so stuff associated with autoinjector systems for you know, people with diabetes and all kinds of other different ailments like that. Pretty prolific stuff. He's got a bunch of different companies. But the reason why I think we wanted to talk about him, and we'll talk about him again in the future, is because he diesel. Like anybody who makes an important invention, gains the interest of militaries and governments, and lately, I think since twenty sixteen twenty seventeen, he's been working on something new.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're talking about this off air. He's been quite a busy, busy guy. He reminds me a lot of Buckminster Fuller, kind of a New Age renaissance man, a fasterist as we right, Yeah, quite so. And he got an eighty million dollar grant from the DoD the Department of Defense in twenty seventeen, and he's working on something he calls ARMY, but it's spelled with an I.
Speaker 2: What does that mean? Man, it's the Advanced Regenerative Manufacturing Institute. What what's it's It's a facility that's going to be built on a place that's going to be fairly isolated. It's a one hundred thousand square eaters at a place called the mill Yard in Manchester, maybe New York. It seems really interesting because, at least according to ABC News reporting in Gosh November first of this year, they're saying this place and the partners there at that facility, whatever it becomes, are going to quote gross sells tissue and bones and even manufacture replacement human organs. Guys, it feels like a direct connection to some of our earlier episodes on the future of humanity and living forever and all of that stuff. And if the DoD is paying for it, yeah, it feels like a soldier enhancement situation.
Speaker 4: By the way, Manchester's in New Hampshire, Massachusetts. There's also one in Massachusetts, so we'll have to get to the bottom of that part.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I just need to go back to the full article. Sorry about that. It's a place called Manchester.
Speaker 3: Great accept no substitutions, and this gives us an excuse to go on the road. And of course we know these kinds of grants don't result in just single single issue missions. Right, We're looking again at at innovations that lead to applications of which we may not be fully aware. Even Cayman might still have some questions about how these things can be applied. But fascinating, fascinating stuff, and so good to end with a mysterious inventor who wasn't possibly murdered by powerful forces.
Speaker 2: Oh, he's doing fine. He is isolated. Dude has his own private island. It's called North Dumpling Island, and well he didn't successfully secede from the US, but he has an official document signed by George hw Bush I think. Oh, and also in his own little island nation that he has his own currency for like pretty it's ben Buck City right there, and the founders of Ben and Jerry's ice Cream are officially the quote minace of ice cream of his island nation, which is freaking dope.
Speaker 3: Ty, I'm picturing like a Walter Noble figure from Fringe. Yeah, you know how that guy was always about big scientific breakthroughs.
Speaker 2: And then snacks lots of ice cream.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: We're gonna call it a day, but we want your help, folks. We'd love to hear more about inventors you would like us to cover in the future. This is an iterative episode, so it will recur. We also want to hear your thoughts on what could have happened to Diesel, What could have happened to Tom, What is Dean came in up to over on Dumpling Island? Let us know, is there something more to the story? Things that remain the stuff they don't want you to know on the modern day. We try to be easy to find online. That's right.
Speaker 4: You can find it at the handle Conspiracy Stuff where we exist on x YouTube and Facebook. You can find us at the handle Conspiracy Stuff Show on Instagram and TikTok.
Speaker 2: Hey, we have a phone number. You can call it right now and leave a voice for us. The number is one eight three three st d WYTK. When you call in, you got three minutes. Give yourself a cool nickname and let us know if we can use your name and message on the air. If you don't want to do that, maybe you want to send some links and attachment whatever, why not instead send us a good old fashioned email.
Speaker 3: We are conspiracy at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff they don't want you to know. Is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.