Speaker 1: China orders Apple to remove WhatsApp, Signal, Telegram and more the hot new audio app. Lots of people are trying out the wearable that turns your conversations into your own personal chat GPT, Memory Bank plus your tech questions answered. What's going on rich dmiro And this is Rich on Tech. This is the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer your questions about technology. I believe that tech should be interesting, useful and fun. Let's open up those phone lines at triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Give me a call. If you have a question about technology. Email also open. Just go to the website rich on Tech dot tv, hit contact, and while you're there, a little easter egg for the radio show f Oaks. There is a light bulb. If you tap that light bulb, you can get links to anything I talk about in real time. Guests on the show this week Laura may Martin. She is Google's executive productivity advisor and author of a new book called Uptime, a Practical Guide to Personal Productivity and well Being. She's going to share her tips and tricks for being more productive, but also that well being aspect as well. Then we've got Dan O'Dowd of the Dawn Project. He's going to explain why Tesla's full self driving software isn't ready for the streets. And Rosie Okamura, voice actor and content creator, is going to talk about her viral videos where she prank calls scam callers to waste their time. She'll offer tips on how to stay safe from these people. So this week I've been having the Tesla self driving software drive me around. And the reason for that, and the reason I'm talking about this is because Tesla recently slashed the price of its self driving software. So it used to be something in the range of about ten to twelve thousand dollars if you bought it out right, but if you wanted to subscribe monthly, it'd be something like two hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: But now it is just one hundred dollars.
Speaker 1: And I say just one hundred, I still think that's too expensive, but I have been testing it out.
Speaker 2: It is a sort of hit or miss.
Speaker 1: It's good when it works, scary when it doesn't work, and it does do some odd things.
Speaker 2: Now just to give you some background.
Speaker 1: The first time I got into a self driving car was in twenty twelve Tokyo, Japan. I remember this. I was very scared because even though we were only doing a small circular loop in this Nissan, it had a whole bunch of computers in the backseat. We did have a safety engineer in the driver's seat to take over if something went wrong, but it was a very odd feeling to give up control of that car for the very first time. So there are five levels of autonomous driving. Let me explain. Level zero, no automation. The drivers in full control of the vehicle at all times. That's pretty much what ninety nine percent of the time most of us are doing, right, we're driving the car. Level one driver assistance. The vehicle can assist with some functions like steering or accelerating, but you must remain in full control. Level two partial automation. The vehicle can control both steering and accelerating and braking in certain situations, but you must remain alert and ready to take control. Level three conditional automation. The vehicle can handle most driving tasks under certain conditions, but the driver must be ready to take control when requested. I would say maybe the Tesla is at level three conditional automation. Then you've got level four, which is high automation, and level five full automation, so the vehicle can handle all driving tasks without any human intervention. Level five there's not even a steering wheel or brake pedals. And yes, there are some companies doing that right away or right now, I should say, so where do we stand with Tesla? So this is where it gets confusing because they call it autopilot, and they also call it full self driving at the highest level, and so people think that is a level four high automation, the car can do whatever it needs to do without human interaction.
Speaker 2: That is just not true.
Speaker 1: And having used this new full self driving supervised, which they've added that word supervised to the self driving, it's because people were getting too they were giving too much trust to the Tesla, and that's how accidents happen. That's how issues happen. So in the Tesla, let me just give you my quick review. In the autopilot cruise control, a lot of cars have. This is traffic aware cruise control, which it just basically matches your vehicle speed to the surrounding traffic. That's pretty simple. Auto steer. It can help steer into different lanes or marked lanes using traffic aware cruise control. So that means your car I always say, this is kind of like the basics. You put on cruise control, your car stays in the lane. It also stays at a good speed from the car in front of you. That's pretty basic. Many cars today have that. Then you've got enhanced autopilot. You can navigate, which means the vehicle can go from on ramp to off ramps, suggests lane changes, navigate interchanges, turns on the turn signals, takes the correct exit. It will change lanes on the highway. It can auto park, which I feel like that is a very good feature. If you don't like parking, that might be worth the one hundred dollars. This I have not really tried, but it moves the vehicle in and out of tight spaces using the mobile app or the key.
Speaker 2: That's kind of weird.
Speaker 1: And then smart someone will find you in a parking lot so you can know your car will come to you.
Speaker 2: I have not tried that yet.
Speaker 1: And then the full self driving includes autopilot and enhanced autopilot. It can auto steer on city streets. Yes, I've tried that. And it has the traffic stop sign control, so it knows when the stop signs are there, it knows when the traffic lights change. So it's pretty good at doing these things. Is it perfect?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Do you have to remain in control at all times and very aware at all times?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: So I think that Tesla has done a really cool thing. But we have to be very careful in understanding that this is not full autonomous driving. So it's a little bit more stressful in certain aspects because you're either in control of the car or you're not.
Speaker 2: In this case, you're in some sort of in between world.
Speaker 1: Now, I figured i'd go over some of the other companies because this is an inevitability. This is going to happen on almost every car. Are you still going to have the opportunity to drive your own car? Probably, But every major car company is working on some sort of level of autonomous driving. Ford has something called Blue Crews. This is hands free highway driving available on some of their cars. Reduces stress, they say, allows you to connect with passengers and enjoy the scenery. It works on most highways in the US and some newer versions of this software have lane changing and also repositioning, so that's Ford Blue Cruise. Then you've got Chevy Super Cruise. This is from GM. This is hands free driver assistance technology. It uses GPS, cameras and maps to automatically steer on compatible roads. That's the key here. They have gone out and they have somehow mapped these roads to make them compatible with the supercrews. It works with adaptive cruise control, so it works really nicely in stop and go traffic. It requires your driver's attention and remaining alert, but you can take your hands off the wheel. I have tested that it works pretty well. I feel pretty confident about that one. Now Toyota, they've got their Ciana minivan. They've got Autano Moss, which combines autonomous driving with mobility as a service. So they're testing this out with the Ciana minivan and they're thinking that this might be used in an application like ride sharing. But that's what Toyota has right now. They don't really have an autonomous as far as I can tell, consumer facing product. Now, Honda, they have hands free highway driving technology called Honda Sensing. They're going to introduce this in the US by the end of the decade. This will be available as an upgrade called Honda Sensing three sixty, which has automatic lane changes, and that will become standard on all Honda vehicles by twenty thirty. It aims to launch level four capable self driving cars by twenty twenty five. Remember level four high automation. That means it can do a lot of tasks without human intervention, but it will still have the driver's steering wheel and the control so that'll be something inside the standard car. BMW says they've been working on autonomous driving since nineteen nineties with the goal of making self driving cars a reality. Right now, they only have up to level two, but they do have plans to introduce higher levels of automation in the future. Volkswagen testing first auton miss driving in Austin, Texas. This will be starting This started last year ten all electric ID buzz vehicles equipped with autonomous driving tech developed by Volkswagen and Mobile Eye. Over the next three years, they're going to test this in more cities, aiming for a commercial launch of autonomous vehicles in Austin by twenty twenty six. Then you've got Nissan and I have tested this pro Pilot Assist. This is a driver assistance program that combines adaptive cruise control in lane centering to help you maintain a set speed and keeping the vehicle in the lane. I actually tested this a couple of years ago and driving back from Las Vegas. This must have been eight years ago or something, a very early version of this, and it was pretty incredible because it was the first time that I tried the cruise control and the ability to stay in the lane. So it pretty much was you know, that's very simple now, like a lot of cars do that.
Speaker 2: Then you've got Weaimo.
Speaker 1: Waimo has Weimo Driver and this can navigate roads, which it's doing already in a couple cities including Los Angeles. And this relies on highly detailed maps, all kinds of sensors including LDAR, cameras and radar, plus advanced software to predict the behavior of other road drivers to make the safest route. They've driven this on tens of millions of public roads, billions of miles in simulation, and yes, that's happening on La streets, just not on the freeway. Then you've got Zeokes. This is Amazon's autonomous driving technology. I saw this car at CS and this is fully a car that was created from start to finish to have no driver inside whatsoever. So when you get inside this car, it's almost like a little box and it has no steering wheel and no controls for drivers or passengers. So it's being controlled by software. And the interesting thing here is that you're using teleguidance, so someone can tap in and remotely monitor this car. And if there's some sort of odd situation where you need to human to interact or I guess take over the driving of the car, the human can do that. The other thing about the zookes it can drive forward or backwards. The car is built the same way on both sides so that it can drive either direction. So again that's kind of forward thinking. This is happening. The autonomous cars are happening right now. Tesla, I think, is pretty much in the lead with the what they're doing for the average consumer, but every major car company has got their hands in this. All right, coming up, I'm gonna tell you about China and why they are banning certain social media apps and messaging apps.
Speaker 2: But first we'll take some of your calls.
Speaker 1: Triple eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. My name is Rich Dmiro. You are listening to Rich on Tech. Welcome back to Rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you talking technology. The phone line for the show eight eight eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four.
Speaker 2: To two for one zero one.
Speaker 1: So go to Steve in Los Angeles with a comment about the self driving cars.
Speaker 2: Steve, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I work with veterans and a big problem is they a lot of times they have to cancel their appointments, their doctors appointment because they did they have transportation and the ride services are very unreliable. And I was also thinking of our seniors, you know, who tent drive any more. So if somehow these big companies are someone, could you know, donate car because they're not gonna be able to afford to buy a self driving car. But that's a big problem with our veterans is getting transportation or not being able to driving inhabit to cancel their appointments.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is actually I didn't mention this in my initial talking about these self driving cars. There's another aspect and that's a way moo, and this is accessibility and Waimo is a huge proponent of this. Uh, people with disabilities, limited site, limited movement. Uh, there are these cars will be a huge, huge win for that.
Speaker 2: Well they don't.
Speaker 1: They won't need to because with something like way Mow, they'll be able to just to just hail it, so you'll be able to just get.
Speaker 5: It to pick you up.
Speaker 1: And so now Uber and some of these companies they do have like an accessibility where you can hail like an accessibility version of that car where you may have assistance you have a wheelchair or something like that. But I think the next level of especially for someone who has a vision issue or hearing issue or any sort of limited mobility, these things could really be a huge win.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I had one. I had one veteran who the Uber that came for him couldn't accommodate like his his device or whatever the thing is the only other thing I was saying because I thought like if I won the lottery or whatever, man I start my own right service to give veterans right. And then I thought, well, the reason why that probably has been done is because all these billboards you see around will fight for you have you been injured. It's like this is why your insurance rates is so high, so they'd probably be you know, litigated out of business.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's definitely an issue. And I think that obviously we need to take care of our elderly, We need to take care of our veterans who you know, have fought for this country. So I think that's a big area of it. And I think that it's just something that technology will continue to improve people who are you know, in these positions that you know, it's just a little bit different than than everyone else out there. So Steve, thanks for the comment. Appreciate that. Good good point. There, really good point. Let's go to Rick in Manhattan Beach. Rick, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 6: I have an old iPhone shuffle and I usually go on iTunes or I used to go on iTunes download music, but now I can do that. So is there an half or anything that I can use to downlo music because the shuffle I used and used for swimming at the waterproof. I linked the shuffle about four or five years old.
Speaker 3: So four years old, yeah, kind of.
Speaker 2: I was going to say it may be older than is.
Speaker 1: Someone was telling me that the iPod shuffle it was like a secret that it's like it's water resistant or something.
Speaker 2: Is that true?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I got some company. I bought it online. I guess they buy them in a retrofit them to make them water resistant. So yeah, it's great for swimming, for doing labs. So any suggestions at all.
Speaker 1: The program I know is called Walter Pro, and I'm sure there's other ways of doing this, but the one that I know that's pretty easy for drag and drop is Walter w A l t R pro And I'm looking at the kr Wa LTR pro and it says it supports iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch all generations, iPod Classic, Nano, and Shuffle all generations.
Speaker 2: And so this is a paid app.
Speaker 1: But as far as I remember using this app, you literally just drag and drop the files onto the app once you connect your device, and it puts them into the right place on that app. So it's been a bit since I used it, but it looks like it's still up to date. It's uh thirty five bucks for the year. So and I like this company, and I'm looking for like an alternative to that. There's probably some sort of open source device that can do or software that can do this as well. But when you connect it to iTunes, it's not supported anymore.
Speaker 2: Is that the deal?
Speaker 7: No, No, it's not interesting.
Speaker 6: Okay, well I would plug it in, you know, with the actually the cord.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And the other thing.
Speaker 1: The other question people always have is they're wondering, how do I get the music off my iPod? Because Apple kind of made them a one way street. And I guess that was for a reason back in the day, but it was much more like loading stuff onto them. And I feel like the sinc never really worked that well with these things. It went there and then like people were just very confused about it. But check out walter Wa lt R Pro and I'll look in the commercial and see if there's any if there's any sort of like open source alternative to that program that may be free.
Speaker 2: But I think that's your best bet for right now. And try it. You could try it out.
Speaker 1: You can download it to try it, see if it works, and then if it does, you know, maybe pay the thirty five bucks to do it.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you very much, all right, Rick, appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Uh eighty eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one might have heard this. Uh China ordered Apple to remove WhatsApp Threads and other messaging apps, including Signal and Telegram, from the app store in China. Apple said it's doing what it's told it was due to national security concerns. They didn't give many other details, but China is concerned that the apps could be used to spread negative content and called and cause social unrest.
Speaker 8: HM.
Speaker 2: Now, where have we heard this? TikTok uh?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 1: So this is going to be interesting and China, I don't think there was much thought. They were probably just like, let's just do this. They didn't ask anyone, They didn't ask you know, they didn't take a vote. So will this impact TikTok here in the US? Time will tell eighty to eight Rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four ones.
Speaker 10: Year a one.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to rich on tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology. Joining me now, Laura May Martin, executive productivity advisor at Google and author of a new book called Uptime, A Practical Guide to Personal Productivity and Wellbeing.
Speaker 11: Laura, thanks so much for joining me today.
Speaker 12: Thanks so much for having me so your.
Speaker 1: Book really speaks to me because I'm always trying to be more productive. And I think this is kind of new to the mix, this idea of well being, something that might not have been in the conversation until maybe a couple of years ago.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I think that some people think of productivity and well being as being two opposite sides, and so they're competing. But the book really talks about that not only is it important to prioritize well being, but it makes you more productive, and so how to integrate it into your overall workflow.
Speaker 1: So what's sort of a simple yet maybe effective routine change that people can make to boost their productivity.
Speaker 13: So one routine change I talk about is just getting control of your mornings.
Speaker 12: So mornings are that way of setting up your day.
Speaker 13: So even if you can only take five or ten minutes before your first commitment and wake up and do something that fills your own energy tank, whether that's meditating, journaling, just sitting in silence, drinking coffee, whatever it is, that's one small thing, just a few minutes that carries you into the rest of your day and gives you that big energy boost before you start handing out energy everywhere else.
Speaker 1: I don't typically do that on the weekdays, but on the weekends. I really relish being up before everyone else and having that first cup of coffee when everything is just silent, and I really do enjoy that. Okay, So email is one of my biggest work areas. I'm always just overloaded with so many messages, which I love because that's a good thing, but it's also really tough to get through all of those. So what's your top tip for sorting and prioritizing messages? So?
Speaker 13: I think you want to first clear out anything you don't need to see. So sometimes people say, I have tens of thousands of emails in my inbox, but most of them I don't need to open. So the first tip is just maybe searching the word unsubscribe and getting rid of things that you don't need to see. In Gmail, you can just do it right within the email and subscribe from list.
Speaker 12: Secondly, you want.
Speaker 13: To pop out things you do need to see, So emails from your manager directly to you should look important, and you can do that by setting up filters in Gmail and attaching a red label when those emails come in. So now you're visually prioritizing. And then the third step is thinking about how to sort your email. The same way you do your laundry. So you empty your inbox like your dryer. You put things into piles based on what future you needs to do with those next, whether it's read, review, respond, and then you go through those piles all at once.
Speaker 1: Okay, I just heard you say to put a red label. So can you have different color labels in email?
Speaker 5: You can?
Speaker 13: So once you create a label, you can attach it with a filter. So in this case, it would be from my manager to me, always apply this label. And then on the left side in Gmail, when you're hovered over a label name, you'll see three dots, and when you click on those three dots, you're able to change the label color based on how you want to feel when it comes to here in box.
Speaker 1: Wow, I love it. I just learned something so very good. This entire interview is worth it. So many people feel guilty taking down time, and there was a point in my life when I felt really guilty doing this as well. But how can scheduling breaks actually make us feel more productive?
Speaker 13: So not only does downtime help to prevent burnout and give you that chance to decompress and process everything that you've heard and thought about all day, but Actually, research shows that you're most creative during downtime. So those times in your workout, your commute, on a walk, those are times when you're actually coming up with your best ideas.
Speaker 12: It's not in another meeting for the day.
Speaker 13: And so if you really think about scheduling, downtime is making you more creative, long term, holistic when it comes to productivity, it's easier to make sure you're prioritizing that as something you need to do to be productive.
Speaker 10: I agree.
Speaker 1: I always get my best ideas when I'm literally not thinking about what I should be thinking about. And that's why I take a look a lot of notes and then send them to my email and when I get back, I'm.
Speaker 14: Like, oh, yeah, that was a good frout perfect.
Speaker 11: Smartphones.
Speaker 1: We love them, we hate them, where everything in between. They are such a big part of our lives, but they are really addictive. They make us engage at times maybe we don't want to, but we also need them. So what's sort of a practical first step we can take to develop a healthier relationship with this thing that is always with us?
Speaker 13: Right, And like you said, technology is so helpful. It connects us in so many ways and it's really just about finding the right way to make technology work for you instead of against you. So that could be as simple as what I do is create a schedule on my phone for my social media apps and things I don't want to open during the workday. I have times when I'm locked out of them until the evening when I've decided. I also have a bedtime for my phone and a bedroom for my phone, and it's outside of my bedroom, so the alarm goes off, I put my phone to bed on the charger, and then I have some time away from screens before going to bed, and when I wake up in the morning, I do at least one thing before touching my phone. And so I think just having those small habits just help us make sure that we're not getting distracted by technology, but that it's working for us in the right ways.
Speaker 1: I love the idea of putting the phone to bed, like rocking it to sleep, maybe reading it or reading in a story.
Speaker 11: Singing in a little song.
Speaker 9: I love.
Speaker 1: So, what are some of the common signs that we have become too attached to our phone? Is it that kind of last scroll before closing your eyes to sleep?
Speaker 11: Is that like the dead giveaway.
Speaker 13: I like to say, think of your phone or any work in your home or device, kind of like in laws. You want to create the same type of boundaries you would have if they lived with you, So you would not invite them into your room first thing in the morning, you would not sit with them until the minute you go to bed, and so same thing that you would do with your phone. You want to say, you know, I'm having that healthy tie away from it, or I find myself checking my phone when I don't plan on.
Speaker 12: Doing anything about it.
Speaker 13: I think that's one of the biggest things, when it's you know, I'm not actively working, I'm not responding to emails right now, I'm just kind of checking to and.
Speaker 12: So just giving yourself maybe one evening a week.
Speaker 13: I do a challenge at Google called no Tech Tuesday Night, and it's just for six weeks, one evening just saying from dinner to the following morning, try and plugging from your device or putting it in another room and checking it, you know, occasionally if you have urgent things, but in general, finding ways to do hobbies or you know, play a board game or be really present, or just taking one night to see how that feels and how it affects your sleep and the following morning being more.
Speaker 12: Productive the next day is actually one of the top feedback from.
Speaker 11: That great advice.
Speaker 1: Okay, saying no to people and requests and just everything is really really tough.
Speaker 11: How can we say no in a nice way?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 13: I think some people say no is a complete sentence, but for me that always felt uncomfortable. And you want to maintain that social capital and friendliness and you know, approachability, and so finding ways that say no but in a way that feels approachable, and so saying no because you know, giving people true insight into what you're prioritizing, what you're working on and why you can't attend, or saying no but you know, I can't speak at your event, but here's a ton of resources from past events I've done or other speakers you might want to consider or not right now, that's not something I can prioritize currently, but please reach back out in a few months and my priorities may have changed. And so all of those are still ways of saying no, but they help you and the person who's requesting feel a little better about it.
Speaker 1: We're hearing a lot more about work life balance. This probably goes to the well being section of your book. But what's a boundary that someone can set with their employer or maybe the people they work with that you recommend.
Speaker 13: Yeah, So whenever you're setting a boundary, I always recommend talking about what you do do instead of what you don't do. So let's say that you're trying to leave every day at five pm to spend time with your children and you know, be present at dinner and maybe you'll check back on later. But instead of saying I don't take meetings after five, you can say I take meetings between eight and five, and then I'm available after eight pm for anything urgent. So now you're showing them what you will do and giving them that full picture of when you're available, versus trying to tell them everything you won't do. So that's a good way of saying, you know, this is a boundary that I have and here's how to reach me.
Speaker 11: Now. For some it may seem like a long time.
Speaker 1: Ago, but a lot of people are still adjusting to that work work from home, that hybrid kind of atmosphere. So what can home based workers do to optimize their productivity?
Speaker 14: So, first you.
Speaker 13: Want to ask yourself, are you what I call a homebaser, which means you focus better at home, or an outfielder, which means you focus better out And so based on your answer to that, you can start to structure your schedule. It's really just about knowing yourself and setting up your environments. The other cool thing you can do is by picking what I call hot spots. So instead of having everything be done at your desk, if you were working from home, you can say, I always code at my desk, I always.
Speaker 12: Answer emails outside on my porch. I always make phone calls on a walk.
Speaker 13: And so what that does is it helps your brain associate those spots with those types of activities, and then it's easier for you to slip into that mood. When you go on the porch, you're already thinking email, and so that helps with working from home but still having different places for different things.
Speaker 1: Laura may Martin, executive productivity advisor at Google.
Speaker 11: Thanks so much for joining me today.
Speaker 12: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 10: This is great, all right.
Speaker 1: The book is called Uptime, A Practical Guide to Personal Productivity.
Speaker 11: And well Being.
Speaker 1: You can find it anywhere you buy books. I'll put it on the website as well rich on Tech dot TV more rich on Tech coming your.
Speaker 11: Way right after this.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here talking technology at triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. If you have a question about technology, give me a call. Website is rich on Tech dot TV. Once you're there, you can hit contact to send me an email, and you can also sign up for my newsletter. Let's go to Angie in Los Angeles. Angie, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 3: Hi. I just recently found out that my life top has what seems to be maybe of root kit or like a kernel route type of malware loaded on it. And I've been trying to I've done like a regular reset that didn't work. I've been trying to, you know, find where it is, and it does come. Something comes up on my control panel and I'm able to delete drivers related to it. But then as soon as I turn it back on, you know, turn it off, turn on, it reinstalled. There definitely seems to be something embedded and uh, you know, even the the of the Yeah, So I was wondering if you had any good resources for someone I'm thinking I need to clean reinstall of the Windows program and then just to you know, somebody to find where this is, this root kit is and and get rid of it. But my local uh best I doesn't have the same resources they used to do. Everybody's pearing down their resources, and I need I'm in need of a good resource to do a reinstall and then just to wipe it clean. I mean, just what do they call that new cupa.
Speaker 2: A clean install? What? What version of Windows are you using?
Speaker 3: Ten?
Speaker 1: Okay, you can do a clean install yourself. Have you tried it?
Speaker 3: No? I have not. That's probably why I'm a little nervous at doing it myself, but also getting rid of the malware that seems to be embedded that was That's probably the biggest concern of mine is you know, even if I do the reinstall, if I don't get rid of the malware, then I'm still back at square one again.
Speaker 1: So, well, did you did you try to remove this with a program like malware bytes or Windows Defender?
Speaker 3: You know, I'm in the process of doing that. I was trying to think of a way without connecting to my network of you know, because this is obviously an affected laptop. So I don't want to connect to my network and I need and load it there without any type.
Speaker 2: Of uh yeah, the internet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well it's kind of like you catch twenty two and that's.
Speaker 2: I hear you, I hear you.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, look, I mean, if you want to get a professional to do this, it's it's a quite simple job. So my kid actually got a virus on his laptop a couple of months ago, and you're right. I did disconnect it from the network and I I did a clean install of Windows and it did remove it and it's fine. But it wasn't the toughest process. And this is why a backup is so important because when these things happen, if you have a backup, you just clean install, wipe the system, and you're you're up and running again. But if you want a professional to do it, there's a place called you Break I Fix.
Speaker 2: Have you heard of that?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, I mean there's quite a few of them there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're they're a little chain, so they will do it. Obviously, the best buys. I'm surprised they don't have the ability to do that. But you can also just look on Yelp for a you know local like you know computer repair clinic or repair shop and they will be able to do it. Like if you want to go more local, right like a locally owned place, you can just search some computer repair and Yelp and find. What I typically recommend is just call the first two locations that are near you that are highly rated and just see which one you get a better feel for. You know, because some people are really nice and some people are very short, and so you probably don't want to go with the person that's short because if they're short with you when you haven't paid them yet, imagine once you've paid them. So that's why I always call the local business to kind of see what they're what their deal is.
Speaker 3: And this is not my line of work, so I'm kind of wondering. So when you get your reinstall of Windows, how did you get rid of the virus without using your network to load something into get rid of the virus?
Speaker 1: Well, I just went into the Windows cleaning. Windows has a way to clean install from Windows. So if you go into your Windows settings, there is a way to reset if you search, like I think they used to call it refresh, but now they call it reset. So if you do that or just type in you know, into their search functionality reset Windows. There's like a bunch of different options, but it has them all kind of built into the system, or it should be. And as long as now, if this thing has gotten into like the bios of your computer, that might be different. But I would say typically ninety percent of issues with viruses or you know, at the software level, and so I think you're probably going to get rid of it upon the first clean install, but I would try that first, Just open it up and do that.
Speaker 3: I did the reset a couple of times and it just was right back to where I started, and I need it the whole thing twice, and so it seems to be really embedded, you know, deep in like maybe the firmware or something. I'm not really sure, but it's not white being clean with just a reset alone.
Speaker 1: If it is a root kit kind of thing, then yeah, you definitely you should probably get someone that helps. But I would go to you Break I Fixed. They definitely handle this kind of stuff. Again, if you want the local person, you know, go with the local. But most people I hear back from with the U Break experience, they kind of like it. And it's a national chain, so there's always that backing of like a big company. If you want, you know, if you need help or something. But good luck, Angie, and keep me posted. Email me on the website let me know an update so that I can share. Okay, thank you, all right, thanks a lot, thanks for the call. Eighty to eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four.
Speaker 2: One zero one.
Speaker 1: Global smartphone market is actually growing again. So we've been talking about how smartphone sales were down for a while. Now they're back up seven point eight percent growth. In the first quarter of twenty twenty four, Samsung also overtook Apple once again as the top smartphone maker. Now, before you get too excited, let me explain what happened. So last year, at the end of the year, Apple overtook Samsung. Now the first quarter this year, Samsung overtook Apple. But here's the thing. Apple releases their new phones in the fourth quarter of the year and Samsung releases their new phones in the first quarter of the year. So is this really just people buying new phones from these makers and some people like Apple, some people like Samsung.
Speaker 2: Probably.
Speaker 1: This is all according to IDC, And in the first quarter of twenty twenty four, Samsung shipped sixty million smartphones. Sixty million smartphones, that's a twenty percent market share. We're talking worldwide here. Apple experienced a nine point six percent year over year decline shipping fifty million smartphones and that is a seventeen percent market share. The other brands that are in here is Shaomi. They are big in China, they're coming back very strong. And then there's this company called Transient. This is a company in South Africa and they are very popular in that market. The main takeaway from this is that consumers want more expensive devices these days. They want that premium device, but they know that they're going to hold on to it for a longer amount of time. So we've talked about the fact that people are keeping their phones for three plus years. That seems to be the big trend, and it makes sense. If you're spending a lot of money on a phone and you're dividing up those payments by three years, which a lot of people are doing, then why would you not want to keep that phone.
Speaker 2: For as long as humanly possible?
Speaker 1: And air Chat this is an app that is taking not so much the world by storm, but so far the tech folks Silicon Valley folks really like this app called air Chat. It's kind of like Twitter, but with audio posts. So I did download it. I did test it at you record your voice, it posts your voice as a little sort of I guess a tweet for not a better word. But it also transcribes what you say, so people can scroll through read what you said, but also listen to your voice. I liken it to leaving a voicemail for the world, So it uses AI to generate those transcriptions and it's kind of fun. It's different. I don't know if it's going to catch on, but it's it's certainly a new take on social media. Like I said, if you want to check me out rich on Tech on air Chat.
Speaker 2: That is the new app.
Speaker 1: By the way, the guy who started this app, I lunched with him. I looked at my email like almost like fifteen years ago.
Speaker 2: I think he was doing stuff back then.
Speaker 1: Hey, it only takes one hit, right, and now apparently he's got a hit. Ay to eight Rich one one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. You are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here talking technology with you at Triple A. Rich one oh one eight seven four to two four one zero one the website for the show rich on tech dot TV. Once you're there, you can see all of the stories that I do for television. You can read the newsletter, you can sign up for the newsletter.
Speaker 2: What else. Oh, you can also see show notes.
Speaker 1: So if you want to see in real time what I mentioned on the show, just hit the light bulb up the top of the website. And if you want to listen to this show as a podcast later on, you can also do that through the website. Just subscribe on your favorite audio app. Thanks for being here, Thanks for listening. Do appreciate it. We got a lot on the show. This hour, I'm going to talk about a new wearable pendant that will record pretty much all of your life in audio, and then you can search it sort of chat gp GPT style. Netflix as growing members once again, Well they're not growing them. It's not like they have a lab with or growing people. But you know what I mean, They're growing memberships, like more people are signed up. Sounds like a Netflix show to grow members But I will tell you, I will tell you what they are doing to sort of make more people pay and then coming up. Later this hour, we have a guest, Dan O'Dowd of the Dawn Project. He will explain why Tesla's full self driving software is not ready for the streets. Eighty eight Rich one one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Let's go to Adam in Orlando, Florida. Adam, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 9: Hi.
Speaker 5: Rich.
Speaker 7: I'm calling because I was checking my Gmail and I decided to play around with the settings, and I looked in the privacy section and I noticed something I'd never noticed before having my Gmail email address for a long time, which is that it gives you the option to search your I think email address in the dark web to find anywhere results, and then it tells you if there are results, it can charge you to find out what those results are and maybe clean it up. I think so. So I'm calling to find out if if you know about that, or if there is a maybe another system or another service that provides something like that, because I do have a DOTU email address. So I'm just wondering if you know what's a good efficient way to help clear your clear anything you may have hackers may have on you on.
Speaker 5: The dark web.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, great, question, And yes, I use the Google Dark Web monitoring for sure. I get alerts when my stuff shows up, which it often does. But here's the number one thing. You cannot get this information off the dark web. No matter who promises that to you, they can't do that. The dark web is not a database that someone maintains that you can say, hey, can you pull my information off of here, and some hacker somewhere says, oh, sure, let me kindly do that. No, that's not the way it works. So number one, once your information is out there, it is out there forever. There is no getting it back. So that's very important to know because people will spend a lot of money trying to clear up these results.
Speaker 2: Now what Google does. There's two things.
Speaker 1: Number one, Adam, do you pay for Google storage or no?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 7: No, I just have the regular basic account.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I pay for the Google storage, So I actually can so Google any Google member. Like, if you have a Google account, you can search for your information one time, which is what you stumbled upon, right, So that if you want to find that, you can go to one dot Google dot com and there's a section that says dark Web report and you click try now and then run scan and it will show you the information that's out there now. For me, I have thirty seven data breachesked to my info on the dark web that includes my name, data, birth phone number, email, passwords, user names, gender, Let's see is there anymore? Yeah, that's pretty much it. So that information is out there, and this will give you if you click into these pretty specific information like I can see my twenty twenty one AT and T subscriber data breach. It's got my name data, birth phone number, email, and address now floating around on the web for anyone to see.
Speaker 2: Thank you, AT and T. So what's the point of all of this.
Speaker 1: So the point of all of this is really to be understanding of the fact that this is out there. Google, they will do one thing for you. They will pull your information off of their search results if you ask for that. So there's a difference between your information being out there on the dark web, which is in some sort of database that people are changing hands all the time they're selling this information, and information being in search results. So Google, if you use their their monitoring program, which you can get for free if you're anyone, can get that for free. It's called Results About You that will allow you to pull information off of Google search results. So if there's a Google search result that has your name, your address, or phone number on one of these websites like spoke Yo or checkmate or whatever they're called, and you say, hey, I don't like that information being there. Google will assess that and say, okay, should we take that down, and they will make a decision. It's not always guaranteed, but the bigger thing about all of these dark web situations is understanding what information is out there, and more importantly, not reusing your information and also not giving out your information in the first place. So, for instance, phone number, I mean, I'm looking at my phone number right here. It's telling me, I mean this at and T breach was really bad. I'm looking at my data birth, my real phone number, and my real email address that is just now out there for anyone, which is really scary. So again, the more you can do to keep your information private going forward, I think is going to be a better way of going about this. With that said, there are a couple of tools that I will link up on the website rich on tech dot tv that can reveal where some of this information is. The First one keeper Security dot com. They do a free data breach you can scan and it will give you some information about your data breach information out there. Keep in mind a lot of these things want to sell you on something else, so they're showing you this information in hopes of converting you to a paid customer. The other one that I think is actually pretty good with the information they give is scan dot aura dot com. Scan dot au r a dot com. And this one actually shows my passwords that are flying around the Internet.
Speaker 2: Now they have them.
Speaker 1: Redacted a little bit, but I can tell a couple of those passwords I recognize, and that's really scary.
Speaker 2: So I can see.
Speaker 1: That I do not want to reuse that password ever again because it is out there on the open web. And then it gives all of my account names that are out there on the web. Most of them are rich DeMuro, which I get. I mean, that's my name, that's what I use, so that's gonna be pretty standard. The other one that this one is pretty a pretty big website. It's called haveiben pned dot com and they spell pned pwned dot com. You can put your email address in there and they will notify you for free anytime your email address shows up on one of these dark web breaches. Now, we're actually gonna have an interview with the guy who runs this website, Troy Hunt. We will have an interview with him next week and he explains I actually ask him about these dark web, these dark web monitoring services because I was curious about them. So he will explain what his take is on paying for these services. And let me just tell you spoiler alert, probably not worth paying for these services.
Speaker 2: So where does that leave us?
Speaker 1: Go to the Google Results about you service. Definitely take advantage of that. You tell Google your information. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but you'd say, here's my phone number, here's my email address, here's my address. If you find this on the web in results, let me know, send me an email. And then I have the ability to say Google, can you take that off the internet, And in nine times out of ten in my experience, they will take that search result down. They don't go to the website and delete your information. But ninety nine percent of people are just searching on the web for your address, for your phone number. I mean, most people aren't searching for you. Let's be honest. Unless you owe someone something or whatever, but that they will take down that search result. With the dark web, there are ways again, like I said, to check out your information that's out there, but there's not much you can do about that information being out there. I will link all of the things I talked about on the website rich on tech dot TV. My main takeaway, my number one takeaway. If you get nothing else out of this conversation, limit the amount of information you give out to people. If a random website you're signing up for asks for your data, why do you need to give them your actual date of birth? Unless it is something like a credit card or your bank or whatever, why do they need to know that? They probably don't email addresses. Use a cloaked email address when possible when you're signing up for random websites. You can do that through iCloud. There's a bunch of services that will let you do it. Try not to give away your real email address. Duck duck go has a nice free email address that is you can use if you want to throw away email address, So search duc duc go cloaked email I think it's called and they have that. And then when it comes to your information, like your password. Do not use the same password over and over. The problem is when you use that password, even if you think you're so good at creating a strong password, if that password is out on the web. What these hackers do is they take that password, they see the email address associated with it, and they say, okay, let's hit up the top fifty major websites and see if this little combination of email address and password unlocks this website. So they go to Bank of America, they go to Chase, they go to American Express, they go to all those banks out there, and they try your email address and password, and sometimes that might unlock the website and get them in. That's called credential stuffing. That's what happened with Roku. So do not reuse the same passwords across websites. Those are some of the best ways to protect yourself. That is my recommendation. Okay, let me get off the soapbox and tell you real quick about Netflix before we go to break eighty eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Not much to report about Netflix except their memberships grew sixteen percent. They now have almost two hundred and seventy million people paying every month to watch Netflix. But here's the concerning issue. They have five hundred million people interacting with the service. What does that mean. There's a lot of freeloaders that are still using other people's Netflix accounts.
Speaker 2: So two things.
Speaker 1: Number one, Netflix says, starting next year, we're not going to provide any updates on our membership numbers quarterly. Why because they understand the market is slowing. They're not going to have these big numbers, these big membership numbers going forward the growth. But what they are going to do potentially price hikes. They're going to crack down on password sharing, They're going to put more of an emphasis on that ad supported membership, tire and more live programming. You are listening to rich on Tech. We'll have more of your questions right after this. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you talking technology at triple eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. The website for the show rich on Tech dot tv just gave out a lot of great resources for searching for information on the dark web. So if you want to get links to those, you can get those in real time just go to Rich on tech dot TV. Hit the light bulb right at the top of the website, and that will bring you to the radio show wiki. That is a list of all of the shows and all of the show notes. So just tap into the show notes for number sixty eight and that should give you all of this stuff that I just mentioned. Let me make sure it's there. Yep, there it is Google one Google Results about you, keeper, Aura.
Speaker 2: And have I been pooned?
Speaker 1: Let's go to Gus in Morino Valley, California. Gus, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 15: Rich, this morning my laptop, I turned it on and it was kind of slow, so I restarted it and when I when he came back, Google Boom was gone, what that will file?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 10: What are you on?
Speaker 2: A Mac or a PC?
Speaker 5: It's a it's a it's a deal.
Speaker 2: Okay, So that's Windows.
Speaker 1: So maybe okay, So I actually got an email about this. It's it's there must it's interesting there. I know that Windows really tries to push the Edge browser.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you've heard of that one. Is that on your desktop?
Speaker 5: The Edge? No?
Speaker 16: No?
Speaker 5: Okay, well you know what it is? It is? Yeah, it is. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So that's Microsoft's version of Chrome, and they really pushed that hard, especially when you try to download Chrome or do anything with Chrome for the first couple of times. So he's like, hey, we're right here, We've got our own version. Why don't you try this out. It's kind of the same thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I have gotten done with Google Chrome, asking me if I wanted to turn it into my default.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 1: Microsoft has been I guess after that whole uh you know, that whole anti trust thing back in the nineties. Everyone's forgotten about that, but I it's we're past that anyway.
Speaker 2: But here's the thing.
Speaker 1: So, can you tap the Windows key on your computer and can you search Chrome?
Speaker 2: And does that not come up? Because it made me.
Speaker 5: I searched it done and it is like he deleted all the files somehow, really.
Speaker 15: Had a lot of information and Google Chrome and portals that I use and everything you've gone.
Speaker 5: You know, Google Chrome remembers something password, so way to go. You know, my friend, here is what he did is he reads.
Speaker 6: Restore to the system restore.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, sure, sure, he brought did a restore point.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so he's doing it. But it's like it's been almost an hour and it's still.
Speaker 15: You know, it says please wait, well your windows, well, then setting are being restored.
Speaker 1: Well before I would have done that, I probably would have recommended just re downloading Chrome because if you were signed in on Chrome, all of your stuff will come back magically. So okay, yeah, so I would have done that before you Yeah, I would have done that before the restore point, because the restore point is kind of like, if it works, it'll be great, you know, hopefully it will, but it may not bring it back and it may not do everything properly, so.
Speaker 5: Uh would be able to stop it.
Speaker 1: I would not stop it at this point, no, because if you stop it in halfway, you could have an issue with corrupt files. So I would not do that. But gus, here's my advice. So I would wait, wait till the restore h wait till the restore completes, and see if Chrome is back on there and your computer is back to the way it was. A restore point is kind of like a time machine for your computer, so you're going back to a moment in time before a specific problem happened with your computer, and hopefully, by going back to that point in time, everything's back the way it was, but in the future, Chrome will keep Chrome is one hundred percent web based, so all the settings and things that are happening on Chrome are are copied to the cloud as long as you are signed into your Google account. So when you first open up Chrome, it will say do you want to sync this, and you can tell by the upper right hand corner. If you open up Chrome, you should have a little picture of yourself in the upper right hand corner. You can tap that, maybe your initials, but you can tap that and it will tell you Sync is on. So make sure that your sink is on on Chrome if you don't want to lose your bookmarks, your settings, your extensions, anything that you've installed on Chrome will carry over from computer to computer as long as you have sync on. If you want a little bit more privacy and you don't want anything to sync, then you can turn that sync off. You can still use Chrome without it being sync to the Google servers. So that would be my advice Gus in the future is just if somehow Chrome goes away, just go ahead and redownload it, sign in and you should be fine.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Coming up on the show, We've got Dan O'Dowd now Brace Yourself. Dan has some pretty pretty thorough thoughts about Tesla's self driving and i'll just tell you he does not like it. So it's an interesting interview. Dan O'Dowd is with the Dawn Project and he basically thinks that Tesla's full self driving software is not ready for the street. So he's coming up soon. Before we go to that, let me just tell you about this real quick. This is an interesting idea. It's a pendant that you wear that records pretty much everything in your life. Ninety nine dollars for this pendant. It's called the Limitless and it records your meetings and anything else you want in life. You wear it around your neck if you want, or you can clip it to your shirt. It will record the audio and then put it all into sort of your personal chat GPT. Ninety nine dollars for the device and nineteen dollars a month if you want all the features. But it has unlimited cloud storage, one hundred hours of battery life. Is this the future? We are coming into our entire lives recorded. You can search anything that you said, anything you've interacted with people.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I kind of want it. You're listening to rich On Tech.
Speaker 11: Welcome back to rich On Tech.
Speaker 1: Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking tech now at triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one.
Speaker 11: Joining me now is.
Speaker 1: Dan O'Dowd, green Hill Software CEO and founder of the Dawn Project, trying to make computers safer for humanity and a specific interest on banning Tesla full self driving.
Speaker 11: Dan, thanks so much for joining me today.
Speaker 10: Good to be here.
Speaker 1: So first off, give me a little background. Tell me what Greenhill Software does and why you started this Dawn project.
Speaker 10: Green Hills Software developed software for safety critical systems such as airplanes and cars are two biggest areas.
Speaker 11: And what about the Dawn Project? What is that? What made you start that? And what is it?
Speaker 10: So the Dawn Project is a realization that I had some years ago that we are putting computers in charge of systems that people's lives depend on. And it's in small way, but now it's become very large. We're putting them in our cars, We're putting them in the power which we can't live without, and water treatment plants, all these things a large infrastructure people's lives literally depend on.
Speaker 1: It.
Speaker 10: If they go out, people will die. And yet we're putting software to control those devices. That's the same stuff that we use on our desktops, which fail quite regularly. And the Dawn Project is advocacy group basically get people to realize this and also to say we need to set better standards. We need to test that software and make sure it's reliable. And one of our first examples is the full self driving product from Tesla, where it's driving your car, it's controlling your car, your hands aren't even on the steering wheel, and it's driving, it's turning, it's stopping at stop lights. But it's very, very unreliable. In fact, it's like it's unlikely to go one hour without trying to crash, without making a serious mistake, crashing into some other car on the road, in a parking lot, anywhere. It's it's really clumsy. It's amazingly bad. You never know what it's going to do. It you're driving along and it'll just suddenly jerk the wheel into another lane, into a parked car, and it's frightening. You think you're going to die. I don't want that in my car. There's no reason to have something that is that effective that in an hour, two hours, three hours, it's going to literally try to kill you.
Speaker 1: Now, Tesla just recently lowered the price of their self driving software. So it used to be two hundred dollars a month. Now it's one hundred dollars a month. They call it full self driving Supervised. But the reality is many more people are going to subscribe to this and use it because of this lower price. What does that tell you? What are you worried about that?
Speaker 10: Yes, that that people will try it? Now, what we good There is a piece of good news here the product. You can buy it outright for twelve thousand dollars, or you can pay ninety nine dollars a month. It used to be two hundred dollars a month, one ninety nine just until a few days ago. But what we discovered is people who fought this product and put it in their car, they're not using it. Eighty five percent of the time. They were very excited. They heard a hout how great it is. Right now, Elon Musk is around touting that this is weird on the verge of full autonomy. This thing is this, I can see it. It's gonna be It's going to be really soon. By the end of the year, it's going to be full autonomy. It's going to be great. Of course, he said that every year for the last decade they say, Okay, this is not I'm not going to use this, and they just they put it on the shelf and they don't turn it on. Every now and then they hear about the great new release that solved all the problems, they try it again, same problems occur, they stop using it. We're actually recommending that people try this, but be very careful. As Tesla actually says, it's it's highly unreliable. It can swerve for no reason into the other lane, so be super careful, be watching it like a hawk. But it will do something terrible, and then stop using it. It's the only way for people to understand it. I can explain it till you've been there and experience the terror yourself. I can't tell you how bad it feels.
Speaker 1: How is this allowed to control cars?
Speaker 17: Then?
Speaker 1: Are there no regulations against you know? Don't aren't there rules for driving? Like I had to go to a driver's z and I had to take a test to drive a car.
Speaker 11: How come software is allowed to do whatever? It wants.
Speaker 10: Yeah, well, we decided to try that, so we took it out for a d MD test. You got a great video on it showing what happened. It's actually four times it did something that the instructor said, you don't get your license if you if you do that it, yeah, it can't. It can't pass a driver's test. Doesn't know what a do not enter sign is, simply simply doesn't understand it. If you have a school bus, it stops, the rights are flashing, the stop sign is out, the kids are getting off the bus. It'll go right by it at forty miles an hour. It's amazing. You get to a school zone it says forty miles an hour twenty five when children present, it'll drive forty miles an hour through that zone with kids all over the place. We've got videos of this. If there's a kid in a school crosswalk walking across the road, that has to be kind of a small child. Big ones it you can see, but a small child, it will run them down. We have videos to show that as well. It's really quite amazing. We have been to Nitza with the federal government, to the state government of the DMB We've shown them the videos a year ago and they still haven't fixed the problems. They claim it's not a self driving car and therefore they're not subject to the self driving car regulation, so they can pretty much do what they want, which I think is completely wrong. But that's where we stand today.
Speaker 1: Do you see any benefit to this full self driving technology or do you think it should be banned entirely?
Speaker 10: What they need to do is take it off the market. It needs to be recalled. It needs to be off the market. They need to fix all of these problems before they put it back on.
Speaker 11: What Tesla is doing is one thing.
Speaker 1: How does it compare to what other automakers are doing in the driving area?
Speaker 10: Tesla is the worst by far. They claim to be the leader in automobile, in autonomous vehicles, The truth is there in last place, it is absolutely terrible. You can go right now, you're you're in La. They've got weaymos. You can call up a Weimo in Los Angeles and it will come to you. No driver, pick you up in Los almost everywhere in Los Angeles to almost everywhere else in Los Angeles and drive you there.
Speaker 1: So you're not against this idea of cars driving us and you actually think that Weimo does a good job, a better job than.
Speaker 10: Tesla a hundred times. It's not even comparable. It's working quite well.
Speaker 1: What do you think the difference is? Tesla has a lot of money, They've got a lot of engineers. Weimo is part of Google. They have more sensors on their cars. Is that what it is?
Speaker 11: What do you think Tesla needs to do to fix this?
Speaker 10: Well, definitely the sensor is an issue, right, They've got they've got the light r and they've got radar and ultrasonic sensors as well that Tesla does not have. That has to contribute. They do say that. I mean, if you ask the people the way of people Google people, they'll say it's essential. You can't think you can that you can build a self driving car without without those without lighter. But Elon Musk personally says that's not true. It's ridiculous. He says I can drive. He says, I can drive my own car. I don't need light ar, I just have two eyes. I can do it. Why can't we do it with cameras well? One reason is your cameras your eyes are about five hundred times more resolution than those cameras they have, they have one megapixel cameras.
Speaker 1: So what is your advice to consumers Tesla owners who see this at you know, the free trial or the ninety nine dollars a month, what's your advice to them?
Speaker 5: Try it?
Speaker 10: But and I'm just quoting what Tesla says, be like a hawk. You know it's going to try to kill you. You know it's going to try to crash into a parked car or across the yellow line or whatever. You sit there and you have to be watching continuously everywhere. You have to look at the lanes beside you to make sure that they're nobody there because it will do something crazy. You just have to be sitting there waiting for it. This is no fun. You are supervising. You are in charge of making sure when it does something dumb and it will, that you save the car. You save the car and then your life.
Speaker 11: So I'm curious with your Green Hills software.
Speaker 1: You said you you super specialize in safety software for different planes and cars. Are you trying to build a world where your software is in the Tesla or they purchased something like some people might say like, hey, don't you have a conflict of interest here because you make this software that can make cars safer.
Speaker 10: Well, I mean, you know if you had you know, if you had a vaccine for medicine, would you not tell people that you know that you can solve their problem? I'm not. I actually I was. I've been advertising on Twitter for people to take the free trial. So there's right now a free trial two million. Everybody who has a Tesla can download the full self driving for free for one month and drive it all they want. I'm actually advertising on Twitter that people to do that, just so they can understand how bad it is.
Speaker 1: Can you say anything nice about the Tesla that's not related to the self driving? Do you think it's a good automobile and the whole ev movement or no?
Speaker 10: Well, I own to eight Tesla's. My roadsters are my favorite things. Driving to work is my favorite activity of the day, and driving home because in the road story, it's the best car ever made in my opinion. My wife's been driving a Model S since twenty twelve. It's the same one. It's over eleven years old. It's the family car, and it works great and we've always been happy with it.
Speaker 1: All right, Dan O'Dowd, how can folks learn more about the Dawn.
Speaker 10: Project Dawnproject dot com.
Speaker 1: Dan O'Dowd Greenhill Software, CEO and founder of the Dawn Project, thanks so much.
Speaker 11: For joining me today.
Speaker 10: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 11: More rich on Tech coming your way right after this.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you talking technology at triple eight Rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one, the website for the show rich on Tech dot tv. If you are not signed up for my newsletter, that's the best place to do it. I send out a newsletter every week and it is chock full of tips and tricks. So if you listen to this show and you're thinking, oh my gosh, I love all these little websites that Rich mentions and these little tips and handy apps and things, that's sort of my weekly you know where I put all that stuff. So it's just kind of like this show. But it's all newsletter and you can sign up at rich on Tech dot tv. Just pop your email address, and if you get an issue or not and you don't like it, just on subscribe. It's not like a you know, I'm not going to like harvest your email and hold it against you.
Speaker 2: So let's go to William. Whoops, that's not William. There's William, William and Chino. You're on with Rich.
Speaker 18: Hi, Rich, thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what can I help with?
Speaker 18: Well, occasionally we are I'm unable to go to church, maybe due to sickness or whatever, so we live stream it on the TV and we go through a PS four. And what I'm finding is that when we do that, but in an hour's amount of time, sometimes two, three, or even four times, the live stream gets cut off and we have to I have to back up and click on it again, get back into it. And I'm wondering, is it the PS four or could it be my TV? I'm certain it's not white by because I can watch Netflix or YouTube and no problems.
Speaker 3: All.
Speaker 1: Yes, But here's the thing. Number one, how are you streaming this? Does this on like a website?
Speaker 18: Yeah, we go, I go onto the PS four, I go into the WWW, and then I click on their website and then click on the online button.
Speaker 2: So so number one.
Speaker 1: So YouTube and Netflix are companies one hundred built around streaming. So they are the best technology for the best technology for streaming known to mankind. So their entire technology is getting a stream to start on almost any speed connection and still be super high quality. So they have built the best technology, and those two companies, specifically YouTube and Netflix, probably have the best streaming technology in the entire world. So that is why they always work and you never see an issue with the streaming on those two services. Now when it comes to your local church, they are using a third party streaming service, and there are so many points of failure between the church and your house that could be contributing to an issue with that live stream. So the first thing I would do is just ask everyone else that's watching the live stream, like are you having issues? Like is this buffering for you? Like talk to the congregation and see what the folks there are saying about this. So if everyone's having an issue, it could be the way the signal is being sent out from the church. It could be the system that they're using to live stream this. Maybe one day if they use like Facebook or something or even YouTube to live stream, it comes through perfectly and it could be your PS four receiving that signal. But you're saying that the Netflix and all the YouTube stuff works properly. So the reality is there's there's so many variables with a live stream that's originating from a local church versus a stream that is coming from Netflix or YouTube. So my advice kind of investigate, talk to the church, have them maybe send out a survey is this happening to other people? And maybe they can, you know, investigate the service that they're using to send out this live stream. It could be that maybe they need to upgrade the plan, could be that they need to upgrade the connection that they're using. Are they using Wi Fi to send out the signal or are they using an Ethernet connection? So all of these things could make a very big difference in what the live stream looks like and how it arrives to your house, and also how it looks when it gets to your house. So good question, William. Thanks for the call today from Chino, California. Let's go to Bill in Santa Monica, Bill your Own with Rich.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I want to relay an exasperating experience that I had over at Walmart involving Mobile X, which was featured last week on your show. Essentially, the departments are abandoned of store personnel. Everything is behind plexiglass fee through but can't.
Speaker 2: Touch Yep, that's happening.
Speaker 9: There is no indication that Mobile X is being promoted. And I had to track down a staff personnel to basically find out about Mobile X. And apparently the only thing that they have, and it's locked behind the counter, a full box of SIM cards for Mobile X. They don't carry Mobile X phones. They don't carry unlocked phones that would be appropriate for the SIM card. I asked the person, I have a locked phone from another carrier. Would it be possible to install the SIM card in a locked phone? Is there any feasibility for doing that? He doesn't know. Is there a manager in the department? No manager today. Would the manager know anymore than the staff person I'm talking to? He doesn't know. There is no literature on Mobile X over there. And my second question would be, because I've always been told to avoid the Moto unlocked phones that best Buy cells, are there any unlocked phones that you recommend that are in a reasonable price range?
Speaker 2: Oh? Absolutely so.
Speaker 1: The first one I'd probably recommend is Now, are you buying this in a store or are you buying it online?
Speaker 2: Do you want to go to a store.
Speaker 9: Well, basically, I am an old time shopper and I prefer to look at the merchandise.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I understand that, so I think the best I think the best like unlocked phone out there is probably going to be something like the Google Pixel seven A. But the problem is Google is coming out their new phone very soon, the AA that's going to be announced probably May fifteenth.
Speaker 2: So I would I would hold off.
Speaker 1: You're going to buy a Pixel, but I would say a phone like that is going to give you the least amount of issues with the software and the hardware, like if you want a nice phone that's going to last for a very long time and not give you a lot of And by the way, the software on these phones are updated for like almost I think Google announced seven years last time, really, but we have to wait for the for the eight A, not the seven A. That one is still last year's model. I mean, it's still great, but my point is the new one's coming out. The other phone I would take a look at is the one plus Nord that is a really good, unlocked, inexpensive phone. The other one is the Nothing. But these are all phones that you have to go yeah, and that's the Nothing to A and that is like probably every single person that I didn't review it because you have to sign up for a developers account, which you know, Bill, I don't know if you probably want to go through that. But to answer your question about these Motorola phones, I think they're fine because they don't have too much bloatwear on them. I don't think the camera is going to be as good and the software, you know, it's pretty good, it's pretty clean and well.
Speaker 9: I was told about the Motive phones is that they simply don't operate there or they don't update they're operating.
Speaker 2: And that's very often. Yeah, that was my issue.
Speaker 1: So I think if you want that, I think the Google Pixel like this, the a lineup for the Google Pixel is going to be your best bet. Or you can even get the Pixel eight on sale at a decent price. And again you can keep that for seven years, so that's a long time, and they update the software on a regular basis.
Speaker 2: Now real quick.
Speaker 1: With respect to the whole Walmart and Mobile X, this is the issue with saving money on your phone line like this. With these mv and os, there are many of them that are a lot cheaper. The problem is it is mostly deiy which means you're doing everything yourself. There's not a huge customer service component unless you're interacting with these companies online. Eighty eight rich one O one eighty eight seven four to two four one zero one. This is rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Tomuro here with you for another hour at eight eight eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four two four one zero one. The website for the show Richontech dot TV. If you're not already following me on social media, I am at rich on Tech. You can find me on X you can find me on Instagram, you can find me on Facebook, and I don't know where else can you find me? Just depends Threads. No, I'm you know, I don't. I'm not really doing the Threads. I just I can't get into it. It's two, uh you know, between the other three. It's already enough. And I know some people cross posts and things like that, but Threads is just not doing it. Also the problem is if I was on Instagram, Facebook and Threads, one company would control all of my social media meta and you know, you know I always recommend third party kind of software and stuff like that. I don't want to be beholden to just one company, so I do try to put my stuff in different places.
Speaker 2: Very excited for our interview this hour.
Speaker 1: Rosi Okamura, also known better known as Rosie Irl.
Speaker 2: She is a voice.
Speaker 1: Actor and content creator. She does something really fun. She does these videos where she prank calls scam callers, and since she's a voice actor, she does some really fun things. These videos get pretty wild and she just messes with these people to waste their time, and she also offers people tips on how to stay safe. So we will talk to her later this hour. Very excited for that. Let's go to Edward in Tampa, Florida. Edward, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 17: Rich, it's great to hear.
Speaker 16: I always listened to your show every Saturday. And excuse me if I mentioned this, but since I'm wasn't working, I had to. I did the cheap, cheap way of get in the new battery at Battery Plus. But I have a iPhone, etc. And your producer will tell me obviously there's upgrade SCS. What is your recommendation if I want to stick.
Speaker 9: With se.
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: So the first thing I do is I go to the mac Rumors Buyer's guide.
Speaker 2: So this is a have you heard of this website?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 16: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, So this is a great site, which what they do is they log all of the different Apple products, so every iPhone, every maccomputer, every iPad, because pretty much every product that Apple makes is on a certain cycle until they come out with the new product. So I'm gonna go to that macro's Buyer's Guide dot MacRumors dot com. Before you buy any Apple product, you should always consult this because you don't want to buy a product and then three weeks later or four weeks later, they come out with a new one. So I click iPhone S and the latest one was put out in March twenty twenty two. Now do you have the one that was before that?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 16: If I had a guess, I'm gonna say it was twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you have the original se So this is the this is the second version of it, and it's a great little phone. It's it's still got the fingerprint reader. It's it was about I think it was four hundred and twenty nine dollars. It's got the latest chip in it, or the latest chip at that time, five G. But here's the thing, it's been seven hundred and seventy four days since they came out with that phone. The average release time between iPhone ses is seven hundred and twenty five days. Now, there's two things going on here. Number One, I'm not sure that Apple will come out with a new iPhone se just because they're you know, they have moved away from this touch ID, so there's not a guarantee. But on the on the flip side, it's an inexpensive phone and a lot of people still like that fingerprint sensor. And I'm looking at the now. The other thing this art, this website does really well is it puts all the articles about these devices on the right hand side, so I can see April second, they just had an article and uh March twenty seventh, and it looks like they are gonna come out with a new iPhone s so SC four and it looks like it's gonna have a six point one inch screen. It looks like it's gonna have an iPhone fourteen like design. So my advice to you is to probably wait. If you want to stick with the fingerprint sensor, just wait. Wait for any day Apple might say, hey, we have a new iPhone se. I don't expect them to announce this in June at their next event, So we're talking anytime between now and June. They could probably put out a press release and say, oh, here's the new iPhone.
Speaker 16: Se run that WebCAT again for me, because I want to write this. I got something to write on.
Speaker 1: Sure, it's Buyer's Guide dot dot mac rumors, MacRumors dot com, and of course I'll link that up on my website, rich on tip dot tv. But that is a you know, are you not wanting to go with the face ID with the standard iPhone or what?
Speaker 16: No, I don't need all the fancy stuff. So I'm pretty satisfied. Which is the basic gadgets in it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, because they are, you know, if you want to get if you do decide that you want to go, get a little bit of an upgrade with a face ID, which I actually do really think is handy. The iPhone thirteen. Apple is still officially selling that. It starts at five ninety nine, and so the main thing is that you know that phone is also a couple of years old. I'm trying to see the processor inside that phone.
Speaker 2: Let's see here. I can't. I don't see it. Off the top of this website right here. Oh, here we go.
Speaker 1: iPhone fourteen let's see here. Okay, so there's still a lot of them are still using that A fifteen Bionic and they're up to the A seventeen. I think that if you don't mind the you know, slightly older iPhone, you know you're going to be just fine. These things are still that the processors that Apple has put out in the last couple of years have been incredible.
Speaker 16: So yeah, the good needs to be a sure thing is thought. That would be working at a hospital job, so obviously with that's going to be helpful, I'll have an option to do the older then, so that's going to great. Could be patient's all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would say be patient if you still want to go with that. Se I would not buy the one that's currently available, just because it seems like any day now there will be a new one, so I would just wait. Yeah, yeah, okay you patients is key Edward, Thank you so much for the call today. Appreciate it. Uh. If you've opened up your Instagram this weekend, maybe you've noticed something new on the search bar when you go to your message area. It now says in the search bar, ask Meta AI anything. This is a huge push by Meta which obviously owns Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, Messenger. They are pushing their new Meta AI. It's just like chat GPT, except it is trained on all kinds of stuff, including all the social media posts and pictures that we've been uploading for the past I don't know, ten years or so onto Facebook. So Meta AI, if if you want to access it, you can do it right through Instagram, right through Facebook, right through WhatsApp, right through Messenger. Just tap in that little search bar and it says, ask Meta AI anything.
Speaker 2: What can you ask it?
Speaker 1: Well, pretty much anything that you would ask chat ebt you can ask. It's given me suggestions here tips for home renovation, five cross country road trip tips. Screenwriting advice that must be local for the LA folks.
Speaker 2: I kid you not.
Speaker 1: I was in a coffee place the other day, one of the fanciest coffee places I've ever been, and I was doing a story, and I kid you not, I saw the stereotypical person writing the screenplay in Hollywood at the coffee shop, and I just had to laugh to myself because here we are in La and everyone, you know, everyone's a creator here. Everyone's a writer here, and I was just laughing. I was like, I'm not sure I've ever actually seen that in real life, but hey, these things have to be written somewhere, and why not do it at a very lux coffee shop. Like I didn't even look at the prices of the lattes here, but I'm guessing probably ten dollars because even Starbucks now is like up to like six I bought I got a cold brew the other day and it was like six bucks. This is why I don't buy my coffee out because I cannot justify six dollars on a cup of coffee at least here in La If I do get it, I always get the standard just black coffee for like I think it's up to three dollars now for a cup. But I'm also so cheap I won't even get their creamer. I will bring my own creamer and I will put it in when I get to work because I don't want to pay the extra fifty cents to a dollar for that. Believe me, That's how I am. Yeah, Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, Messenger.
Speaker 2: You can try it.
Speaker 1: You can also try this on the website Meta dot Ai, but here's the cool thing that I think you should try before you do anything else. Go to the website Meta dot ai. This is very different from any the other AI out there. They have an image generator image generator called Imagine, and what's so cool about it is that all the other image generators you have to type something in and wait for it to generate that image. But on Meta AI, it regenerates the image as you type. So you can start by typing alien and it will generate that image on the fly you'll see it. But then you can say alien, that's blue, and it will regenerate a blue alien as you're typing. And you can say that's silly, and it will regenerate a silly alien that's blue. I mean, it's really really quite incredible what they're doing with this Imagine image generation. But if you try nothing else, go to meta dot ai and click the Imagine image generator on the left hand side of the page and try it out. You do have to be logged in to your meta account, Facebook, Instagram, whatever to try the image generator, but you can use meta AI on the website without being logged in, So try that out. And one more item of note here if you have an older Samsung phone now we're talking the S twenty two, the Galaxy Z Fold four, the z Flip four, and the Galaxy tab S eight, you are getting You're getting a car. You're getting a car. You're getting a car. You are getting Galaxy AI features. So in May, early May. If you have one of these older Galaxy S twenty two, so now we're talking a phone that's a couple of years old, you are getting the Galaxy AI features. Circle to Search, which is awesome, Chat Assist interpreter, live Translate, noticeist, transcript Assist, browsing Assist, Generative Edit. All of these features that came out with the Galaxy S twenty four are now coming to phones that are two years old. That is incredible. I love it. Samsung is on a tear right now with not only the quality of their phones, but also the updates on their software. So if you stuck with that older phone, you are getting the new AI features. Look at that, you're saving money and you're still getting to try some of these awesome new features. Triple eight rich one O one eighty eight seven four to two four one zero one. Very excited for my guests this hour Rosie Okamora. She is going to talk about how she prank calls scam callers and gets them at their own game. You are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you talking technology website rich on tech dot tv. You can hit contact there if you want to email, get into the feedback segment which I will share. That is your feedback on the show at the end of the show rich on Tech dot Tv. Hit contact if you want notes or anything I mentioned on the show. Go to the website and hit the light bulb icon up at the top.
Speaker 2: Rick on Thousand Oaks, what's up, Hi?
Speaker 17: My mother recently moved and her shelf service is really really body and bad, and I was wondering, is there a website where you could enter her address and it would tell you the cell sites closest to your house and the carriers on it, so you can kind of make a intelligent decision on which carrier you choose.
Speaker 2: There's a couple websites that do this.
Speaker 1: I can't say that they all work perfectly, but I think that it can give you an idea. Now, number one, there's only three cell carriers in the US three major carriers. Okay, you've got T Mobile, You've got Verizon, You've got AT and T. All of the other carriers or most of the other carriers run on those three networks. Now I'm just generalizing here. Yes, there are some smaller carriers out there, but those are the main ones. So my advice always is to just get a friend and nine times out of ten, you've got a friend on one of these networks, have them come into the house and try to make a call, try to use the internet, do a speed test, look at the signal from their phone, and that'll give you a really good idea. Because the problem with all of these website coverage maps. Number one, you can't trust the ones that are on the carrier websites because they just show you that there is a signal. It doesn't show you how good that signal is, and even if it does, you can't really know because there are so many variables with the home or the interior that you're going into. With that said, the website, the websites I think you can look at to kind of consult Here is number one, CoverageMap dot com. So CoverageMap dot com will give you an idea, and these are mostly crowdsourced from people, so they these are people that download an app, they do a speed test or some sort of signal test, and then that information gets fed into these websites, so CoverageMap dot com. The thing I like about this one is that it's very easy to understand. It's got a lot of nice filters to go through, and so you can put in your address and you can see kind of like what is in your area, and it's it's color coded. It's very very simple to understand. So that's the first stop. The other one, there's a website called open Signal and this you want to download the open Signal app. So you can go to iPhone or Android download the open Signal app and that will give you very similar results for the coverage in your area. And so you can check that out. There is one. This one's a little complicated and I've not used it before, but I just found it in searching, and it's called cell mapper dot net. And this is like this kind of looks a little nerdier than the rest, but if you really want some like nerdy signal stats and things like that, this one looks like it'll give you it Cell Mapper, dot net and the other one is root Metrics, So root Metrics now this one. A lot of times these are not super local, but they will give you information for the or the area. So if you just move to a new city and you want to see which carrier is strongest in that city overall, that can help you. So I'm trying to see if they have Yes, it's more like metro area, so it's not like if I want to look for Los Angeles, it will tell me what the top winner is in that area, and it will.
Speaker 2: Tell you kind of like wow.
Speaker 1: It goes all the way back to twenty eleven, so you can see who's been on top, and they go through overall performance, network reliability, network accessibility, network speed, data performance, call performance, and text performance. So again, couple good places to look there. I will link those all up on the website rich on tech dot tv, But I think the best way to do it is to just have a friend come over and say, hey, I need someone on T mobile to come over to my house, or I need someone on AT and T. And if you're using an mv and O like one of these Crickets or mint Mobile, figure out, go to Wikipedia.
Speaker 2: It's just or go.
Speaker 1: What network does cricket run on? For Cricket, it's AT and T. For min it's T Mobile, And then that will give you the network that you should be investigating at your house. So, rick, there's a couple of suggestions for you. Hopefully one of those will work. I thought this was interesting. Logitech is launching a mouse with a dedicated chat GPT button, so AI is taking over everything. Their new M seven to fifty wireless mouse is the first signature AI edition mouse with a dedicated chat GPT button, and you can just use the chat GBT button to fire up chat GBT. This is a fifty dollars mouse. It is available for pre order. It will work with it looks like it'll work with Mac and Windows computers, but why not.
Speaker 2: I just actually switched to a new mouse. And I'm not kidding.
Speaker 1: If you have problems with your arm, Like if you're on the computer as much as I am and your your elbow is hurting, or your wrist is hurting, or your her shoulder is hurting, I just switched to the Logitech Lift. Oh my gosh, game changing my hand in shoulder and arm hurts less than ever before. It's kind of like a mouse that's on its side, so check it out. Logitech Lift doesn't have the chat GBT button.
Speaker 9: Help.
Speaker 1: Coming up next, we're going to talk to Irl Rosie. You are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here talking technology with you website for the show rich on Tech dot TV. Very excited for my next guest. Perhaps you've seen her videos online.
Speaker 2: I R L Rosie.
Speaker 1: Rosie Okamura does videos where she calls scam artists and gets them at their own game. She is a voice actress, so she's really good at coming up with interesting and fun voices.
Speaker 2: Rosie, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 14: Hi, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: By the way, I mentioned to my kid that you're gonna be on my show and he's like, oh my gosh. I've seen her videos on social media and it's so exciting. And he was like, there's no way. I didn't think that was real, and I said, yeah, I think it is. So explain to me what you do.
Speaker 19: First off, So I do what's called scam bating, and it's where I call the scammers in order to waste their time for as long as possible. And sort of educate the public on what to look out for if and when those videos go viral.
Speaker 1: Let's play a little clip. I've got a little clip from your YouTube channel. Let's hear a couple of seconds of how you do this?
Speaker 12: Oh babe, the babe put your finger on your teeth and say, how I'm on? I'm charlel. Thank you for holding it, don't make no sense.
Speaker 3: Congratulations, you've been directed for a one hundred dollars Walmart gift card.
Speaker 10: In order to contact your Walmart gift we will need to transfer you to a live representative. Thank you for holding the trials, hoping you claim the reward today.
Speaker 7: Can I get you?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 19: It's Diria d I.
Speaker 14: PA MTZ.
Speaker 2: All right, So, oh, I gosh, that's funny.
Speaker 1: So what inspired you to start prank calling scammers and turning it into this sort of educational content.
Speaker 19: I got into pranking scammers a few years ago after my mom fell victim to one of those tech pop up scams. So, for example, excuse me, For example, you know you're browsing on the computer and you get a pop up from Windows or Apple saying that you have a virus and to call this number and it looks legit because they use the same logos and they will usually use some sort of eight hundred number, and so my mom thought that it was real.
Speaker 14: She called them.
Speaker 19: They offered her a lifetime subscription of their services anti virus software, and it was about four ninety nine, four hundred and ninety nine dollars that is. And in order to help remove the viruses from her computer, they gained access remote access to her computer, which you know has all of her auto saved passwords, bank logins, you know, notes and stuff in her computer, with her social Security number, the whole nine yards, And.
Speaker 14: So she gave them access.
Speaker 19: They stole her information and they got her out of five hundred dollars. Luckily, I was able to call the bank in time and get that reversed.
Speaker 14: But I wasn't done.
Speaker 19: I asked my mom for that phone number that she called, and I called them back that same day, and I went on a Facebook live stream so that my mom could watch it. This is before there were a lot of live stream options on different platforms.
Speaker 14: So I went on.
Speaker 19: There and prank called this guy with like a Kin Kardashian type impression voice, and I had this guy on the phone for an hour and forty five minutes.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, which was wild.
Speaker 14: It went by really fast somehow.
Speaker 19: And after that, you know, my inbox blew up with a bunch of friends and people that were watching, Hey, can you call this number? Oh my mom falled it for the same kind of scam? Can you call them? And I just yeah, tossed a couple of videos up on YouTube and some random person posted it on Reddit and it blew up, and so did my YouTube channel, and I was like, I.
Speaker 14: Guess I'm doing this now.
Speaker 19: So you know, during that, I learned a lot about scams, and there's new scams every day, and I've just yeah, kind of been riding that way ever since.
Speaker 1: Well, your irl Rosie channel on YouTube has one point four million plus subscribers, so clearly you're doing something fun and interesting. Tell me about, like a memorable or outrageous scam call that you know you were involved with.
Speaker 19: Oh boy, one of the first videos I did that went viral. I did a Britney Spears impression and it was a scam that revolves around they call you and tell you you've won a gift card, one hundred dollars gift card to Walmart or Target, and in order to receive it, you just have to pay you know, three dollars in shipping. And then they asked for your debit card information, so then you give that to a complete stranger over the phone. So I called them saying, oh, I had a lost or I had a missed call a voicemail that I won some sort of gift card. What's going on? And I used a Britney Spears voice. They asked me for like my last name, and they were like, we don't believe you, Like you're gonna have to like sing if you're really Britney Spears, and so I did.
Speaker 14: And I told them that they were on a prank.
Speaker 19: Show with celebrities, similar to like crank Ankers on MTV, and they believed me. The guy was breaking out and totally starstruck, and I wasted about an hour of his time and got to teach people about gift card scams.
Speaker 1: So your idea is that the more time you waste of these people, the less they are able to scam other people.
Speaker 19: Exactly, the longer they're on the phone with me, the less time they have to call someone who doesn't know better.
Speaker 14: And then it's very entertaining in the meantime.
Speaker 1: Now you're a voice actor and uh you know by trade here in Los Angeles, content creator as well improv comedy skills, all that good stuff. So can you do a voice like what like, let's let's I'll be the person that's calling. I'll be like, yeah, I'll be like, hey, I need your you've won a gift card. I need your personal bank information so we can deposit this to your bank account.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 19: Usually I will use an elderly lady voice and her name is last name Gersh. Her name Ierma, so the scammer is forced to say iermash, which just makes me laugh.
Speaker 8: So she talks a little like this. Her voice is lower and shaky and a little bit of a certain next there and make your say I'm a little bit sweeter when she's talken. And then sometimes she asks Siri for a little bit of whop and we will go booda.
Speaker 14: I'm sorry, I didn't get that.
Speaker 19: Sometimes they get an argument and she can't figure out her Siri and then yeah, it's like a hole silly back and forth between Urma and Siri, or sometimes you know Alexa, which is a little bit more human sounding, but still you know robotic.
Speaker 2: Do these people hang up on you or do they are they laughing?
Speaker 11: Like?
Speaker 1: What and where these people located a lot like do you get the sense of like are they out of the US or in the US.
Speaker 2: These scammers, I've.
Speaker 14: Had scammers from all over. The gift card scammer was US. It was US based.
Speaker 19: Uh you know, a lot of them come from India, Nigeria. But you know there's scammers everywhere. Unfortunately. Uh So it gets pretty pretty crazy. And they have hung up bopping before, just because after a while they realize I'm wasting their time. Sometimes they catch on to the joke and they're bored at work.
Speaker 14: Work work, they're board you know over.
Speaker 19: There in the scam call center, and they sometimes will have a little bit of fun with me. They will sometimes push the limit and get.
Speaker 14: A little you know, weird, which you know, I.
Speaker 19: Have to hang up the phone sometimes and I could just call someone else back instead. But yeah, they do hang up. They have laughed, they do go along with it once in a while. So it's all different kinds. It's different every time I call.
Speaker 1: Has anyone ever seen their video go viral and kind of contacted you? Like these scam artists to say anything.
Speaker 19: So sometimes they can tell that I am at least a YouTuber just based on you know, we we sort of we're all friends with each other, right, and we all share the numbers together and we call them all at the same time.
Speaker 14: And the scammers are like, what's your YouTube channel?
Speaker 19: Like, I know that you're just live streaming me and you're wasting my time and I.
Speaker 14: Hope you get a lot of views on your YouTube.
Speaker 12: Being all mad about it.
Speaker 14: Sometimes they get excited.
Speaker 19: They're like, oh, you're the Alexa girl, Like you're the theory, You're the Seeria girl.
Speaker 14: I'm a fan of your videos.
Speaker 19: Like then why do you still work there? But sometimes they will recognize me or or know what's going on.
Speaker 14: But it's always very entertaining.
Speaker 1: Okay, what's what's the advice you would give to someone who suspects they're being targeted by a scammer? And how do you even tell? Sometimes like what's your what do you what's your big takeaway from all this?
Speaker 2: And what do you want to impart on people?
Speaker 19: My big takeaway and the biggest thing I say is you don't first of all, don't answer the phone.
Speaker 14: Who answers their phone anymore.
Speaker 19: If you have a bank or a service calling, you just hang up and call the number back that's the official number from the website, because sometimes these scammers can spoof the actual phone number. So even if it does show up as well as Fargo or US Bank, or even if you type it in while they're on the phone, it don't check, that could still be a scammer. So I always tell people just hang up and call back and just deal with the whole times. Even when it's loved ones calling and there's an emergency. There's a big scam going on of people faking car accidents or being arrested and needing bail money or needing money for some kind of emergency procedure, and a lot of AI is copying people's voices.
Speaker 14: So my big thing is hang up, even if.
Speaker 19: It's like an emergency and it sounds like someone you know, hang up and just call them back right away with the number that you have on your end, just because spoofing is so scary. AI is like out of control. And then you know, when it comes to things on your computer or weird text messages from a fake shipping company, just don't click on anything.
Speaker 14: Don't click on.
Speaker 19: Anything, dot into the phone, you know, always hang up and call back.
Speaker 1: All right, Rosie Okamura, voice actress and content creator, thank you so much for joining me. I'm gonna let you take us to break So can you just let people know where they can find you and you know, online, and then say you're listening to rich on Tech, but do it in one of your fun voices and take us.
Speaker 2: To break here.
Speaker 14: Sure, thanks for listening to rich on Tech.
Speaker 19: Next we have a nice commercial break, and don't forget to follow me on all platforms at IRL.
Speaker 2: Rosie, great, welcome back to rich on Tech. What a great interview. Oh my gosh, that was fun. Welcome back to the show.
Speaker 1: I'm going to get to the feedback segment in just a second, but first let me just get through a couple things in a lightning round here. First off, Amazon, apparently we're removing it's just walk out technology from their Amazon Fresh stores in the US, So if you use this at the grocery store a couple locations in the LA area and other cities in America, apparently they're getting rid of that, but they're not giving up on the technology. They are going to license it to other third party businesses, so I know a lot of stadiums have this and things like that. The one thing I wanted to mention Amazon denies that they're just walk out technology was powered by contractors in India who would kind of watch what you were shopping for and add everything up.
Speaker 2: I knew that wasn't the case.
Speaker 1: Google is getting rid of their Google one VPN for their Google one subscribers, but the Pixel VPN will remain, so I guess nobody's using the Google one VPN, but if you have a Pixel you'll still have that. Charter is trying to fight back against the Fubos of the world and the YouTube TVs. They are now introducing their own streaming TV package. It's got up to ninety channels or ninety plus live popular channels. I don't think there's a lot of sports involved here, and that's how they keep this price down forty dollars a month, but you have to have Spectrum Internet. So they've got two new streaming TV packages, Spectrum TV Stream and Spectrum Stream. Latino Stream is forty Latino twenty five dollars a month. You have to have Internet through Spectrum to get those. Wirecutter has some new reviews on document scanners, and I was impressed to see that Brother swept the review. So all these little brother ads scanners are the apparently the best scanners out there. So if you're in the market for a scanner, check out Brother. They've got three models that were tops for the Wirecutter reviews. And if you're looking for a new pair of earbuds, I haven't fully tested them, but I did take my first run in them today. The Nothing ear and ear A wireless earbuds.
Speaker 2: Really really good.
Speaker 1: Like I'm very, very impressed, and the price is pretty good, one hundred to one hundred and fifty dollars Nothing. I love this company. It's a funny name, but they do some really great stuff. I love their phone that they came out with, the Nothing phone this year. Nothing too. Now they've got earbuds. And when I put earbuds in my ears and they just sort of lock into my ears and they don't feel like they're gonna fall out, and they sound good. That is a winner in my book. Let's get to feedback here. Thomas and Redwing says, I was listening to your radio show regarding driverless vehicles. They will replace mass transit Without the cost of drivers and lifts and ubers, the cost of a ride will be considerably less than the cost of mass transit. Also, the convenience of door to door service ad ride sharing with your ride, the cost will be even lower. Mass transit will be finished within the next thirty years. Interesting thought. Tom says, I'm not sure, but I think wearing one of those limitless AI recorders in California will get you into trouble if you don't get consent from whoever else is being recorded. That's that pendant that you carry around your neck. It records everything and then becomes your own personal chat GBT. Tom says, do they pay the monthly fee for attorney's fees?
Speaker 2: Haha?
Speaker 1: Sort of kidding, Not really, there is I looked it up. There's a consent mode on the AI recorder, and I guess the first time it hears a new person's voice, it will say I need to hear their consent before I'll record them.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: That sounds pretty wild. John says, I heard you talk about a clean install I don't need it now, but I'd like to be knowledgeable for the future. I have three laptops with Windows. Can I clean install without being connected to the Internet, and do I have to reinstall applications?
Speaker 2: Thanks?
Speaker 1: John, I listen every Saturday on KFI. Yes, a clean install you will have to reinstall your applications. That's the whole point of the clean install that it doesn't keep anything on there. Can you do it without the Internet?
Speaker 2: Yes? I believe you can.
Speaker 1: I know that Windows really tries to push the Internet connection when you're connecting and setting up, but you should be able to do it without the Internet. Michelle says, Hey, Rich, I'm embarrassed to ask this question. I have several Gmail addresses. Do I need to purchase and own the domain name from the registrar company for the Gmail address?
Speaker 2: Example?
Speaker 1: Do you need to purchase an annually pay to new richdemuro dot com from a registrar company for Richdemuro at gmail dot com. Well, you're asking two different things that don't really go together. So an email address at gmail dot com you do not need to purchase any sort of anything. You can just you know, use that. But if you want your email address to be Rich at richdemuro dot com, which I do have, you would need to purchase the registration for that domain. Now to get email. You could use a service like cloud flare. They can forward that email from any email address to your other email or you can purchase an email address for that domain from your registrar company and use that as your email address. Jay from Temecula says, you've probably mentioned this a few times. What kind of Wi Fi extender would you recommend for home use? Very frustrating have to run through the house to get near the router to make or answer a call. The only extender I recommend is one from Tplink tp R twenty. It's like twenty bucks. I would try that first see if it works. Otherwise I would say get a Mesh Wi Fi network. Ero and Orby are the two companies I recommend. I like them a lot, They work pretty well. People seem to like them. The Mesh network's going to be a lot better than an extender. Extender just takes a bad Internet signal and just puts it even further. All Right, that's going to do it for this episode of the show. You can find links to everything I mentioned on my website. Rich on Tech dot TV can find me on social media. I am at rich on Tech next week. Oh I'm doing something fun. We are going to test the Internet on a major airline and it's really really fast. I can't wait to bring you that finally fast Internet that's useful on an airline. Thanks so much for listening. There are so many ways you can spend your time. I do appreciate you spending it right here with me. Thanks to everyone who makes this show possible. Bobo, Kim Bill, who else? My kids, my wife, I don't know. Jason, Yeah, Jason gets the signal out there. We've got a lot of people. My name is Richdimiro. I will talk to you real soon.