Speaker 1: I leave in I you wanna way back home? Either way we want to be there.
Speaker 2: Doesn't matter how.
Speaker 3: Much baggage you claim and give us time and aid Urmanol and gay A.
Speaker 2: We want to send you off InStyle. Do you wanna welcome you back home? Tell us all about.
Speaker 1: Ity scared her? Was it fine?
Speaker 4: Malcorn?
Speaker 5: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 6: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 5: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 4: Ride with Karen and Chris? Welcome to Do you need a ride? This is Chris.
Speaker 5: Fairbanks and this is Karen Kilgareth.
Speaker 4: I'm adjusting your sound. I'm giving you a little more volume. And as I do that, I am also talking into my mic to adjust my volume as well.
Speaker 5: Now, how does my volume sound comparatively compared to when we started?
Speaker 4: I appreciate that sample, and I also appreciate that it was a longer sentence for me to gauge in the answer. Is it sounds terrific?
Speaker 5: Well, that's awesome. I didn't take a very deep breath at the beginning of the sentence, so I really ran out by the time I got to me.
Speaker 4: One of the first things I learned in broadcast radio is that that initial breath is so important at the beginning of the show because oftentimes that is the one I use for entire sentences that follow in that it's multiple sentences that really have no end, like this one.
Speaker 1: Just on and on phrases.
Speaker 5: They call it the breath of life, and really you're supposed to fill up your entire abdomen and diaphragm, that's two different compartments and really keep that air in there and then just let it out, piece by piece, word by word, really stretch it out over the words. Your voice gets lower as you do so.
Speaker 4: And one of the main things they teach at the broadcast Academy is the opposite of that breath of life is dead air, which is bad radio, right, something my dad taught me earlier on.
Speaker 1: Earlier on not talking is not good radio.
Speaker 4: It's actually my dad used silence quite a bit, much like your your tigs or your Todd Berry's use silence to help drive a joke home. Something I've learned from them. My dad often when he did radio, he'd play a song and and and then not say anything.
Speaker 5: For about a minute, just to freak people out.
Speaker 4: He's very much enjoyed doing that. That was let's see here guests get Bartoe, Yeah, let me check that is who it was. And then he'd I don't know, I haven't let he's got My dad did radio for a number of years and then but all of the samples of it were on these giant reels, but he had them transferred and I need to sit down and listen to them.
Speaker 5: But he had them transferred to vhs. Yes, so it's a real pain transferred.
Speaker 4: To eight track cassettes.
Speaker 5: Now, can I just make a comment that right now we are driving, I would say northwest, is my guess, and we set, the sun is setting, it is, it's probably almost set. But the sky is a bright blue with some peachy yellow clouds.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that's mom is mom?
Speaker 5: I think is a more purple where we're more looking at a kumquat.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, Well, if you notice in the distance is kind of purple grayish, that's what I that's Oh.
Speaker 5: You were talking horizon top?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I see. Then what's these clouds? Hair affected by the sun can only be described as peach tangerine.
Speaker 5: They're the mambo tropical flavor, I believe, is what they call it in the meteorologist department.
Speaker 4: Yeah, mambo number five.
Speaker 5: This is mombo number five over here. That's why no one wants to look at it or listen to it. But it actually looks very Uh. This happens a lot in la You'll be in your house, say with a moderate clinical depression. Sure, you realize you haven't left in four days. You walk outside around four forty and the it is completely golden hour the sky. The looks like a wonderful independent film you'd see at the arc light. Sure, it's just gorgeous outside. All of a sudden, it lasts that way for seven minutes and a minute's fucking gone, like it was never there.
Speaker 4: That's why. That's why it's special. That's why sunsets. People get very excited about them and take photos because.
Speaker 5: They know they're going to end. But why don't people understand that.
Speaker 4: So is life right? Why don't you take Yeah, take more.
Speaker 5: Selfies, Take him at night, take him in the morning. All of this is about to wrap up everybody.
Speaker 4: I think that I've been thinking that a lot lately. I don't think that people freaked out more about the false alarm in Hawaii.
Speaker 5: You don't think people forget like enough.
Speaker 4: You mean, yeah, why why First of all, why aren't we talking about why not happened? More? It was like I just saw one article that was like, yeah, some guy was changing shifts and which actually like bumped a button. The fact that there is a button and it's a new at well what Yeah, I think that there are new they're working with a new system because everyone knows that we very realistically might need to notify everyone.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I don't think the new system includes all caps. This is not a joke, like that was insane. But do you know that our friend Kurt Bramler, who we're just talking about, he had a theory that he tweeted out. He said he believed that there was a deep cover Chinese spy that was on an American submarine who pressed the nuclear launch button sent sent.
Speaker 1: Missiles toward Hawaii.
Speaker 4: Huh.
Speaker 5: Then the Air Force came in right in time. I guess if it was a submarine, it wouldn't then go to the air But his point was, somebody hit the button that was a spy, the American I guess air Force knocked the nuclear missile out of the sky right then they had to pretend like it was all a mistake, but it actually almost happened.
Speaker 4: Okay, I really thought, and have been thinking, that it was just a button that at the accidentally pushed, like I believe that, I believed a night shift janitor was a lonely guy dancing with his mop in the end of the broom handle hit the button, and then luckily next to that button was a cancel button.
Speaker 5: That's right, but it didn't come for what wasn't it twenty minutes or something?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 5: The people in Hawaii thought they were fucking about to die.
Speaker 4: And my ext friend's parents lived there, and they called her crying and said, I guess we're calling to let you know a missile is coming at us, and they freaked out and cried over the phone. And then minutes later, never mind, we just got another Amber alert.
Speaker 1: That says we're going to live very uncool.
Speaker 4: And yeah, I just can't believe we aren't talking about that more. But when you hear news like that, my inner, well, fuck it kind of is triggered more than I've been giving it credit for, because I've kind of not been caring about life lately. Yes, well it's not that I'm being reckless.
Speaker 1: No, but I am right there with you.
Speaker 5: It's very difficult to take the thing seriously that one used to take seriously because there's this constant, strange, invisible threat and people talk about it. But I think people get people are so exhausted from constant alarm, which is what we all live in now, rage and alarm, right, that like, I think that's just like, oh, yeah, it happened. Because nobody works in the government. Everyone resigned, you know, there's these lunatics that are in charge, and everything's fucked.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we don't really know what's actually happening, and so that just makes me, it turns out sleepy. I did not know that that. When you're a kid and you're watching the movie Red Dawn, you start to think that's inner ass kicker, But no, inside me is a man who just really is appreciating his his new mattress. Yeah. I hate that. I knew I was not a hero, just because the way I react, Like when I accidentally turn on the garbage disposal and I think it's a light switch and I scream. I know that I'm not what the hero everyone's looking for because of how I react to certain noises and fireworks. I plug my ears and I kind of hunch.
Speaker 5: Over yet, but then get a couple of beers.
Speaker 4: In you, I'm ready to fight.
Speaker 1: You'll fight any lady security guards.
Speaker 4: So what I've been doing in preparation for our impending dum and, I've just been drinking a lot good because I know that's the warrior you need, is a drunken warrior.
Speaker 5: Well, I have been in preparation for the airstrike. I've been smoking a lot of pot lately, in a way where I'm like, this is only bad.
Speaker 1: It's not fun.
Speaker 5: It's just it feels like I'm like an opiate addictor it.
Speaker 4: Is the best version opiate. Opium is the worst. I think marijuana is the best version of getting inebriated. I think you're doing.
Speaker 1: Fine, thank you.
Speaker 4: It's better than booze.
Speaker 5: It's better than booze, except for I did sprain my ankle walking my dog, which didn't need to happen because I usually am good with walking on the sideway.
Speaker 4: I think you broke your ankle because you were high on the weed.
Speaker 5: Yes, well, I mean no, not not solely. But my friend who I was with goes, oh did they redo that house? And so I looked over my shoulder and was answering him while still walking forward. All right, that I should know I can't handle no matter.
Speaker 1: That's just not me.
Speaker 4: Walking while looking the other way.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like it. It's a perfume commercial, like walking the dog in one arms this way in your leg. But then you're like they're redoing it, and then of course I immediately just fall down like a child.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you don't see that in the commercial. Usually the dog's leash gets tangled by another handsome man's dog's leash.
Speaker 5: That's right, Yeah, that's no. There's no Garney fruity commercial coming. When you're on the ground licking cement.
Speaker 4: Who cares how soft your hair is when it's bouncing off a curb.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was very that. And then, as I showed you already, with some kitchen scissors that came within the butcher block with all the fancy knives, I was cutting something this morning I can't remember, and just basically lopped the outside I would say quarter of my pinky.
Speaker 4: Off, I would I would just go ahead and classify that as the tip of your finger.
Speaker 5: I cut the tip of my pinky off, So I am. I think it's like the saddest, slowest suicide.
Speaker 4: Just pe oh, fingertips. We all know, cutting those off one by one. It's the slowest weight handed it really is.
Speaker 5: Because there's a lot of bleeding. Yeah, but you won't bleed out entirely, not with one. No, you have to keep going.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna when's your next birthday?
Speaker 1: It's in May.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna get you.
Speaker 5: Thimbles just for walking around.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just as reminders not to snip andy snip the old falangy tip. Oh. I well, maybe marijuana will help with the obtain You got the CBD CBGB oiled.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank god for that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, I wonder if we should talk about us doing We actually did an event together. We didn't do an event, but we went to a thing together, right, But that was.
Speaker 4: One of the last times I got dressed up and put on some perfume. And yes, oh, look at the little karate kids. Yes, that's pretty cute, punch. Look at them.
Speaker 5: There's just as many girls as there are boys in there.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah. And then one boy's on his phone I love, And one boy is like picking his nose in the mirror, but his nose's touching the mirrors because he didn't want anyone and he just date it. No, Yeah, what karate move is that if I can see you, certainly your sense can see you.
Speaker 5: This is the second time you've seen a guy pick a booger and eat it on this podcast.
Speaker 4: It's I see that all the time. I'm almost like on booger patrol. Like this guy crossing the street the other day, handsome guy's shirt off going towards the beach. Everything he's done in the last few years, he's been conscious of the way he looks. But crowded intersection picked it. I'm like with my friend, Look, that guy's picking his nose. He's got a book around and then he fucking ate it. It's a grown man, a grown athletic, handsome man.
Speaker 5: I find it eaten books so disgusting.
Speaker 4: It's the worst. I mean, you can't do that.
Speaker 1: You can't do it.
Speaker 5: It's so weird.
Speaker 4: So we went to this, uh this, Yeah, we went to a Hollywood premiere for corporate. I don't believe I've been cut out of it yet.
Speaker 1: Well he never knows.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there is a moment, and I've been told it's a good moment. I did here today that I'm cut out of the crashing. That is fine. It was a nice paid vacation for the best. I appreciate that they asked me to show up and uh, but this I do believe I am in the show corporate. Yes, I've been told that they liked it and then maybe Mike, my character will come back next season. Did I tell you that that's good?
Speaker 1: Oh that's great?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, I have a little another cameo.
Speaker 1: You should be in that office.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that'd be fun. Maybe I'll just call it. Should just ask, hey, guys, can I be in the office more? Can I just show up for insurance purposes?
Speaker 1: Just kind of sit around a little bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, get get some sag, some sag hours.
Speaker 1: Look at skateboarders.
Speaker 5: Yay, people, are you to do that?
Speaker 4: We'd have stuff to talk about. Me and those fourteen year olds.
Speaker 5: Skateboard, skateboard. I love him. So this premiere was downtown in a fancy high rise. Our guest from two weeks ago, Matt Ingebrutson was It's his show with his partner Jake Wiseman and Pat Bishop, who is the director. Very talented Pat Bishop, yeah and kind good guy. Now he has long hair so he looks like a seventies author in Manhattan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he does have book jacket hair.
Speaker 5: He has book jacket hair from the seventies. Yeah, And we met at this place downtown. I don't know why anyone does anything downtown.
Speaker 4: It was very difficult. It was difficult to even meet. We basically met at the front security gate.
Speaker 5: Forty minutes after we planned to meet because I can't be on time, and I become like those there's so much street work construction down there. The place you think you're supposed to turn it isn't there anymore.
Speaker 4: It doesn't exist.
Speaker 5: And when that happens, I start getting weird panicky tunnel vision, where like if I can't see it, then I'm just like, I don't know what to do. I'm just going to turn here. Like I just start getting real buck wild because I don't know what to fucking do. So I panic wild, I go buck wild.
Speaker 4: Oh God, that just I just think of a Southern guy on water skis. I don't but.
Speaker 1: Everyone's me in this lexus.
Speaker 4: Everyone has a different version of buck wow.
Speaker 1: Taken left like a fucking nut.
Speaker 4: You know, buck wow.
Speaker 5: I'm going buck wold.
Speaker 4: Uh, that's phrase.
Speaker 5: And we made it.
Speaker 4: We made it there, we did make it. And then I you know, I got everyone felt a little anxious. Every conversation I had was people like, I'm uncomfortable being I feel like everyone's going through the same thing. They haven't been socializing in groups and uh. And then I just started to get set. I'll be damned if I wasn't sick for a number.
Speaker 5: Of days, a fever, body achey left early, having made all this effort. Ye gone downtown.
Speaker 4: I did stop and shove some food in my mouth. First I found that there was I didn't did you know there's a party downstairs? They had a slide where you can go outside the building on a clear slide for a moment. No, I didn't want to wait for that. But I went down and there was food, and so I just want to admit to you I did hang out a little bit neat and I got out.
Speaker 5: Of there good. No, I think that's for the best, because.
Speaker 4: You know, there's free drinks. That's dangerous for me.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Oh, and well, everybody did seem a bit keyed up. I think it was like people were excited for those guys. Yes, it was a fancy place. Everyone had a kind of you know, there was a lot of very presentational selfie taking. Yes, yes, that kind of it was that kind of I do regret that.
Speaker 4: I didn't take one picture on the on the little I want to say, the boardwalk. That isn't what it is unless it was red and hard. But there we go.
Speaker 1: Step repeat, Yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Have the little red card the what do you call that? It's a little backdrop.
Speaker 5: It's called a step.
Speaker 4: It just just it is a step and repeat. Yeah, that's terrific because that's what people do, that's right. Yeah, that's it's called a step and repeat by by photographers, right, because you take a picture that's your step, and then you repeat when there's a new person.
Speaker 5: Yes, perhaps if you're a person, if.
Speaker 4: You're an actor, you wouldn't step and then repeat and then get on it again. So that's clearly a photographer phrase.
Speaker 5: Yes, I would imagine.
Speaker 4: Or the media, the media outlets.
Speaker 5: Is it's fake news, is what it is.
Speaker 4: Goddamn right, Keny I I am. I had a very good time.
Speaker 1: It was fun.
Speaker 5: There was lots of them. I got to talk to my friend Jered Grody, who I adore never gets to see.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Jared, he's great, And he asked me, He's like, what have you been doing with your artwork lately, and I was like, well, that's thanks for asking about that, because I'm excited about I got a regular page in the next couple issues of Mad magazines. I get a draw and write these. I want them to be kind of firesidey, just a joke, but not with humans, not with animals.
Speaker 5: That's a job you just got.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh that's great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it'll be hopefully a regular thing. Or I'm in the first couple issues of this new relaunching of Mad magazine.
Speaker 5: That's so exciting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that'll be. And so I'm glad I had an answer for him because it was a specific thing to ask about. And then I it cheered me up to be like, hey, thanks for asking about that. That's the thing I can think about.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And he's just a good dude.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's good. He has good taste in comedy, he knows his stuff, he's fun to talk to.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 5: And then I think I just got that I am consistently, aside from people who run network, I'm the oldest person in the room always, and I can't take it anymore. It's I used to be the youngest.
Speaker 4: That's not true because a lot of the actors there had their parents there.
Speaker 5: I can't be in that fucking in that group anymore where I just I feel like I am hanging out at high schools.
Speaker 4: It's starting to affect me too. If there isn't. Yeah, if I am the oldest, I do know, I very much notice it. If I'm not, I don't notice at all. I'm just one of the kids. But if I am the oldest person there, I do. But you know what, it's just, it all.
Speaker 5: Ends for everyone, right, it really does, and you have to cop to when it is ending. When when it has ended, it's a.
Speaker 4: Good idea, right I suppose, But.
Speaker 5: I mean, I guess my thing is, I'm no longer interested. I'm in a bad social position. I am not interested in making small talk with people. I kind of don't know. I don't care, I don't.
Speaker 4: But sometimes aren't you pleasantly surprised when it goes well and you're like, okay, that's why people. Usually it doesn't go well, and usually it's like that was a lot of energy and for no reason. But every once in a while, even if it's on a plane next to a stranger, and that kind of small talk pays off and is there's some insight or whatever. Don't I keep hoping. Usually it isn't like you said, but every once in a while it pays off.
Speaker 5: It does in I find in like uber driver situations, it always pays off. There's certainly sometimes there's a waiter that you can have a good conversation with, right, But I'm talking about like when talking about commoners get together and get nervous in public and think that that this party is going to be very much.
Speaker 4: Yep, it was very much that. More than more than most parties like this. It was everyone a little ill at ease and trying in a way that wasn't natural, right, And we were also packed into a small area, So you're right, that is it is different.
Speaker 5: But there was a fun part. Here's what I love. I made you promise that we would talk to each other the whole time, and then you wouldn't walk away, And then I think I walked away from you almost immediately after we got in here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's yeah, it's because you know, it's it's almost like in order to do that, you have to make a conscious effort to not deal with all those people that are walking up to you. Yes, it's like, oh, I quickly realized that plan was not going to wear it because people at all are coming up and going, Hi, I need you right now to interact with and it's like, well, there goes our plan.
Speaker 5: There shouldn't be a plan in place to not talk about.
Speaker 4: Right right ever, especially en route to a party.
Speaker 5: Now, there's a lot of social issues that I have that I feel I'm working out at too late a date.
Speaker 1: These are leftover.
Speaker 5: I should have worked that he's out in my twenties when I was blackout drunk, but I didn't know what was happening, and so instead I'm working them out now when I don't even want to be there at the first place.
Speaker 4: I worked out some things. The other night, my roommate had a birthday party and he got a hotel in Santa Monica and that has like a rooftop situation, like it's kind of a cool affordable hotel right on the beach. And he got like a sweet and some of our mutual pals all went there and we got some barbecue, and I was like, well, tomorrow I have this a show, a stand up taping thing for this. I don't have all the details on that, but I had to do stand up the next day. Okay for this Native American thing, and I have enough Native although the blood work, I didn't show them any proof. But I was on the show because I'm part of the Native, which I felt uncomfortable with because look at me, I'm very white and yes, my eyes are blue. And I did at this party, you know I don't. I'm not proud. Why are you honk it?
Speaker 5: Who's honking?
Speaker 4: That guy created his own lane and that person is terrible at driving. I did acid. I did a LSD. It was a smarty What is more innocent than a smarty candy? The last time I did it was fourth July. It was in it. It was dripped onto an oreo. I'm a big fan of the the Beatles and that the bus the electric you know I and I like the electric the while you're on the drugs. I like the way it helps you sort through your problems and realize they don't matter. And I don't do a lot of drugs that do that. And while doing it, and man, I was funny on them and we were all laughing and telling stories and we had a great time. But then I knew to call it quits around midnight, and because I had to wake up the next day to do stand up. Acid does not go to sleep well in my and I'm kind of embarrassed I'm talking about this, but yeah, I just I all night, I was away everything. When I close my eyes, it was just a puzzle that cannot be solved. Yep, numbers, lining up shapes, tetris type things, different colors, trying to mix them and match other colors. Algebra equations that I haven't even addressed for many years, all coming back in if math were color, That's that's what happened. Then I'd open my eyes and I'm like, it's just me laying in bed. Everything's normal. Why can't I sleep? I need to sleep. And this taping wasn't until for the next day, but I had to go to San Bernardino, and I was already nervous about it. Like I said, I'm not Native American enough to be on the show, and every other comic was one hundred percent Native American, all women, and I just felt like I didn't belong there, and I was expressing my anxiety about it. I'm like, I don't know, I don't really have material about this, and in my head I knew that also I just also was on acid. So I and I think it's for PBS. I don't earn that's potentially, but they want it to be it's an all stand up showcase. I apologize to Graham Elwood who asked me to do it. I feel like it didn't do a very good job. I'm not. I don't think it was once I was there a man, tonight's over up, but I I didn't address like the audience. They It was just as I suspected when I came out there, like what's up with this white guy? And then I was like, hey, I know what you're thinking, what's up with this white guy? All of a sudden, And then that was kind of it was. It was I did not do well. I did not do well at stand up and yeah, so there was I think a lesson to be learned.
Speaker 5: Well, it makes me think of a couple of nights where I've done Like if you get booked at the improv and then afterwards find out that it's like Loco Tuesdays or whatever. Yeah, like that used to happen every once in a while, and then you'd just be on a show where the majority of people that came were there because they thought they were going to just have like a communal experience with people like them, and so they Yeah, they're not looking to like entertain anything outside of that. And they're a comedy audience, not not the best in being like, no, no, let's hear them out and be open mind right, like they never do that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And then add to that that to be on the show, it's been established that you are part native like that, that you are part like it's if you did one of those shows. And then part of it was also that some blood work had been done and I so now I want to do that blood work just so I can get it straight. Because everyone in my family's dead. There's no one to even ask. I guess I'll just go on ancestry dot com just.
Speaker 5: To or twenty three and meters is the DNA one where they tell you, Yeah, that's the one where you send them your blood and they send you back what you are percentage wise.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I need to do that. I've never cared really don't. I don't know, pride in any race or any you know, like a dad never cared about that. Do you care about that? I don't care how much I rich.
Speaker 5: Or well my family's very into it only because there it's very kind of cut and dried, Like my grandparents are from Ireland, so that side of my family is very it's all very eron Gobra and all that because of it. Aron go yeah, which means Ireland Forever.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, yes, I remember. It just took me a.
Speaker 1: Moment, but you know that.
Speaker 5: So I feel like it was much more popular in the eighties. But like certain families, if you're if you've got a pretty strong singular country you're from, they really they love to hang a flag.
Speaker 4: And I was totally Irish until we found out my grandpa maybe was adopted. Oh and we don't, like I said, there's no one to ask. Everyone's dead.
Speaker 5: This is the perfect time to drop in our twenty three and meter commercial. Yes, yes, someone do that make that deal?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it would be perfect.
Speaker 5: I bet you if I got that done, I would find out that I'm in not as Irish as I think I am or brag to be.
Speaker 4: I am confident that the Native American thing would show up.
Speaker 7: Could you can feel it in your bones or just a childhood of going to the every funeral on in that town, in the government seat of the Flathead Nation.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 4: There's got to be a reason we were hanging. I don't think it just to pretend. But god, I wish I knew. I wish I knew more about this great grand You know, when you're someone's dead your whole life. But all the paintings he did were of Native American folks and oh wow, really amazing paintings.
Speaker 5: Well that's that's who you get it from.
Speaker 4: My mom's grandpa was yeah, and I mean my dad. I think it's all there's art all over the place that it is. You're right, or my desire to want to draw and paint, I think.
Speaker 1: Came from that and seeing people do it.
Speaker 4: Gotta do it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, When you see people do it, it makes it seem pos like you don't question, whereas I no one in my family ever drew.
Speaker 1: So when when it came to drawing, I was.
Speaker 5: Like, this is impossible, right, like it just I didn't understand how it was ever done. And my favorite thing in the world is, you know when they make videos, everyone swallow be like this is how this animator draws the girl from Frozen or whatever, and you just watch a pen so will draw it. That's my favorite thing to watch watching a person draw something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love that too. Yeah, that's the time lapse from nothing. H I tried. That's why I got excited about Vine when it first came out, because it is a way to like, you know, take a quick shot and then it just creates an animation. So I was trying to do all these stop motion but it's really hard. You need like something, you need a way to hold a camera steady above a drawing, which I don't have. That kind of tripod, Yeah you have.
Speaker 1: They sell them though, like those little ones you can clip in.
Speaker 4: Maybe I should start doing that, you should?
Speaker 5: It would be I would love it, simp. I would love it, and then I would try to get other people to love it with me.
Speaker 4: And when I watch those things there is it's soothing. It is soothing.
Speaker 5: Oh yes, started should we just go off?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 5: What if this? What if you started doing this thing on like Twitter or whatever, where you someone sends in a request like I want to watch you draw a little pig eating a thing of grapes right right, and then that's the thing and then you're just like, well, this is the request for today, and then you just do it real like it always takes one minute or whatever.
Speaker 4: And how do I make money? I buy a parth or put what is it?
Speaker 5: What's the the parthenon? You buy the parthenon?
Speaker 4: You know, I'm the page patriot Patreon you could do Patreon?
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, then you have to make those videos all the time, right, that's a commitment.
Speaker 5: Maybe in the same way that we got people to send you money for our T shirts some kind of trick like how you did that?
Speaker 4: Oh man, that was not easy.
Speaker 1: No, real pain, wasn't it.
Speaker 4: Well it's and and I have yeah they're all gone.
Speaker 5: Oh sorry sorry, but but yeah, it was.
Speaker 4: It was hard to Uh, it was just because a lot of someone had ask about it on Twitter and then it's like, well, okay, how do I get them my PayPal and or vimy or Venmo account and then okay, and so let me know when you've paid and then I'll So basically I was just looking at my PayPal and Venmo and when someone gave me money, that's when I would then cross reference try and find the original email and or Facebook and or Twitter message to find their address if they had given them and the size because I had not all that information was It was just a lot of cross referencing, like I'm not a great bookkeeper.
Speaker 5: That sounds like the hardest way you could possibly do.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, yeah, I don't know the easiest way. I think happened to some kind of a store set up. But then they put it in envelopes, and then I worry about the envelopes, and then they get sent back to me because the zip code wasn't correct. No, a lot of that happened.
Speaker 5: You cut me out of this entirely. I'm so sorry. It would help you know, you helped you.
Speaker 4: You did help me. You had the shirts printed. Oh that's true, and I didn't want to bother you with anything more than that.
Speaker 5: But uh well, thank god, but thank you.
Speaker 4: People were I think people were happy.
Speaker 5: Though, okay, good, well, I mean we were getting lots of fun tweets. Here's the thing.
Speaker 4: If anyone's listening, though, and you paid for a shirt and did not receive them, oh shit, you email me to me at Chris Fairbanks dot com and I will promptly apologize.
Speaker 5: Sorry that twenty dollars is gone.
Speaker 4: But yeah, well, we'll make more shirts, but figure out an easier way to send them.
Speaker 5: I wonder if the place where we made the shirts would take over the sending if we if they got a cut or something, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Because it's a good shirt.
Speaker 5: Man. When people send us pictures wearing those shirts, it is I find it delightful how awesome those shirts turned out.
Speaker 4: Yep, the art looks great on someone's chest. It's great all everyone's chest.
Speaker 5: Some a young lady pointed out that it does when the girls where the shirt might seem slightly dirty.
Speaker 4: Oh really, Oh because there's a little little heads on your nips and it's.
Speaker 1: Do you need to ride all right?
Speaker 5: Which is suggest I never thought of it as suggestive, Yeah, until someone sent us a tweet about it, and then I was like, well, I guess I think that's true for everything if you think about it.
Speaker 4: Right right, Yeah, it's uh. Plus, no one really rides on your boobs, that's really so right away they'd be like, well, I mean, if it was an arrow going like a nime with stupid arrow pointing down, do.
Speaker 5: You need to ride down there to your privates?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Do you need to ride where it makes the most sense arrow dynamically?
Speaker 4: And I've always wanted I mean, this is the jokeiest tattoo ever. We got a green light if I I'm was stupid tattoo on my back with an arrow pointing down to my butt track. I always thought that would be very funny, calling your butthole stupid. Ah.
Speaker 5: My friend Don Frasier always wanted threatened that she was always going to get a tattoo of a little tiny guy on her inner thigh, pointing up saying this is.
Speaker 1: Where the fund's at.
Speaker 5: She would talk about it. It was like her running joke that she was like, I made that appointment, I'm gonna get that tattoo.
Speaker 1: Oh I forgot I have to get my tattoo.
Speaker 4: But then it is a funny conversationally. But there was one guy I remember he had. He'd always say, hey, you want to see my tattoo, and then he'd pull up his sleeve and it was of Airbay Village as the actor who played Tattoo on Fantasy Island. And that got Yeah, that really didn't. I mean, I can see why he did it. It's maybe funny on paper, but it's just was the most obnoxious reveal.
Speaker 5: Well, also that reveal stopped being relevant in nineteen seventy nine.
Speaker 4: That maybe, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 5: That's the tough thing about the those topical jokes. Man, they don't last.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my lower back piece. It's all about Isaac from love Boat, just.
Speaker 5: Really saying, serve me up one that mustache?
Speaker 1: What stop it?
Speaker 4: You don't remember that episode? It was very popular.
Speaker 5: It was so closing, Isaac getting all over the place.
Speaker 4: You know, I met Isaac from love Boat. He was at the lot of people don't know Isaac love Boat. That's what I called him. I hope he wasn't offended. You don't identify by just this role you got once, but I'm gonna call you Isaac love Boat.
Speaker 1: That's his actual last name, his Christian last name.
Speaker 4: It's how he got the job and also how they named the show so perfect he was. I'm every year, no one knows or I've done that the last couple of years. I'm in the Fred Willard Santathon, which it's a pageant, a Christmas pageant.
Speaker 1: Is this true?
Speaker 4: Yes? And I played on Donald Trump Junior and Beth the Belt that's our junior. It's the same role. And uh, it was really enjoyable just because it was like a Christmas show. Where was it The ladies on it that were like from laughing, and there's a lot of That was the one thing where I'm like, okay, I'm the youngest person here, as opposed to being in a comedy party.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, maybe I should start going to Fred Willard events. It was it was great.
Speaker 4: I mean, he's the sweetest man. Uh you know, and it was like being in a play. It was like I was whistling backstage and I did not.
Speaker 1: Know you're not supposed to.
Speaker 4: Yeah. A woman from laughing said, that's curses the show. I'm say, I'm very sorry.
Speaker 5: Joanne Worley, No, it was not Joan Worley. Yeah, yeah, you know, I love Joan Worley.
Speaker 4: She's she's hard to get to know.
Speaker 5: She okay, joe Ane Morley. Obviously she's a lot of people know her from laughing. She also if you were a child of the seventies, she played Mother Nature and the margarine commercials.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, of course.
Speaker 5: So she's one of those people whose faces I've been seeing since I can think. I could think, like watching TV.
Speaker 4: I'm very convinced that she hated me.
Speaker 5: But she's got to be in her eighties now, yes, for her late seventies or eighties.
Speaker 4: Sure, so she's late eighties, I think.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so she well, that's amazing. She's still doing shows. So she When I was in college, a bunch of my friends, I was in the theater major, so I had a bunch of theater nerd friend.
Speaker 4: Sure, and wearing your black turtlenecks.
Speaker 5: Right and braze all over the place, snapping instead of clapping.
Speaker 4: Sure.
Speaker 5: But my friend Leva, my roommate, she got a job at the Music Circus for the summer. And that's the place where all the big basically it's the city wide musical. It's the Repertory Theater, so they do huge musicals there and really talented people and really big shows. So they had one year they were doing I can't remember what the musical was. I think it was Sound of Music, but I can't remember. And Paige O'Dell, who is the woman who voiced Bell from the original Beauty and the Beast Disney, she was the actress playing let's say it was Maria in this, but I can't remember if that was the musical. And Joanne Worley was also in the cast playing something. Yeah, that's the Joanne Wiry part is what makes me think it wasn't Sound of Music. But anyway, right, so apparently pedro Dell got nervous one night and locked herself. Or maybe they got mediocre reviews. I can't remember what the reason was.
Speaker 4: There was someone may have whistled backstage and then Joanne told her that she ruined the show. Yes, yeah, she may have locked herself in a closet. I felt like I wanted.
Speaker 5: To Okay, so you you understand, said pedro Dell was going through a real thing that you can relate to. Yes, and she locked herself in her dressing room. And Joanne Worley, my friend, witnessed this and then told us the story. And then we used to just say it to each other all the time. Joanne Worley stood outside pedro Dell's dressing room, going page page, It's Joanne answer the good page in that like crazy.
Speaker 4: Yes. Yeah, all of.
Speaker 1: That story is predicated.
Speaker 5: The success of it is predicated on you knowing what joe Anne Worley sounds like talks.
Speaker 4: So if you don't, it is yeah, she does have she was. She still sounds like that. It's just a classic. It's it's one of those classic performer voices, like how actors used to.
Speaker 5: Talk yes like this.
Speaker 4: And then someone like uh Marilon Brando comes along and he's like, what if I just talk like a person. They're like, wait, that's not yeah, hold on, that's not how actors talk.
Speaker 5: Wait a second, James Dan, we don't understand what it sounds like.
Speaker 4: You're just talking in real life.
Speaker 5: Sorry, it's too fast and it's kind of quiet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's weird. Yeah, but no, it was very It was very fun. It was cool to be involved with something like that.
Speaker 5: I'm going to go ahead and.
Speaker 4: Go back on my plan and turn the air back on. Then all of a sudden, I got clammy.
Speaker 5: Make it just a tiny bit less cold there.
Speaker 4: See, that's I was just looking for some insight. Look at these controls. This car is so high tech.
Speaker 5: I'm like the fucking pilot for the Blue Angels running this car.
Speaker 4: I but I didn't. Did you know? It's bad luck to whistle backstage when I'm nervous, I whistle? Yeah yeah, And I'm like, well, what's going to happen? What bad thing is going to happen to the show? We all know our lines.
Speaker 5: Do you want me to tell you what? The reason that is a what do you call it a superstition? Superstition is because it used to be that the way that they would quee pulleys and the guys that were up in the raft.
Speaker 1: Oh, it was a series of whistles.
Speaker 5: So if you whistled, it could make somebody like drop a sandbag to make a scenery thing go down down.
Speaker 4: You would think the day that the sandbags got automated and no longer went control about a human that the whole whistling thing. It's like, hey, guys, know the great part of this America's favorite pastime is back backstage whistling.
Speaker 5: It could be that whistling is one of the creepiest things. If you're not doing it, whistling is a bummer.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I suppose an old man got into the elevator with me the other day after I was down with therapy and immediately started whistling, and it was like a scene from a horror movie. He's very old and very suspicious, and he was whistling in a tiny box.
Speaker 4: If you're an old man whistling, it's usually because you're just masking very vivid World War II memories of your head's friends blowing off and hitting your uniform. No, my grandpa did a lot of whistling, and I know that it was just masking darkness.
Speaker 5: And error, just trying to get through that memory. Yeah, well that's awful.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I really think that he was. He whistled a lot, and it was when he was ill at ease. And it doesn't always just mean I'm happy and I'm walking in a park, No it doesn't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I think there are things we can do in the theater.
Speaker 1: You also can't say Macbeth. Did you know that?
Speaker 4: Right? That's a thing too, That's a big one. Well, I knew that wouldn't come up organically for me unless I just wanted Joanne Warely to punch me in the face.
Speaker 5: She had been through it all, Chris, and she wasn't here to teach the know nothing how to be in the theater.
Speaker 4: One guy did fall back. It was a telephone and there was people at phones. I don't know if they were really answering them. I think that was just a stage gag. Okay, but this guy did fall back in his chair and hit his head, and maybe I had to do it with my whistling. I'm realizing that maybe that accident didn't need to happen. Oh he was okay, he's kind of sore, the next time there was.
Speaker 5: There was just no reason for him to fall though except.
Speaker 4: For no one. It was an unexplainable fall. Inexplicably he fell, and I realized now it's because I was whistling.
Speaker 5: Back, because he was up on one of those big telethon banner banister things where he's like he was the second he was.
Speaker 4: Sinner and for no reason at all. There was a rope underneath his foot connected to a sandbag. He rapped his zip right.
Speaker 1: And then he no, you cute him. You cuted him too soon.
Speaker 7: Oh oh shoot, I'm sorry, sir, sir uh.
Speaker 4: But anyway, last year Isaac from the Love Boat was on the program and he was a delightful man. I liked him a lot the end.
Speaker 5: Okay, Can I tell you that Isaac from the Love Boat is also in the James Brown documentary about the concert that he gave in South Central right when the like riots were how happening and in like I think it was nineteen seventy. It's a really amazing documentary.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 5: I watched it after I saw the thirty by thirty about oj That was so mind blowingly.
Speaker 1: I knew nothing.
Speaker 5: About the city I've lived in for twenty five years and the way this city has treated black people and the people of South Central and that documentary blew minds and then it led me to these other ones of like and these are all these other things that happened in that basically in the other half of the city that you don't go to if.
Speaker 1: You don't live on that side of town.
Speaker 4: One of the other more eye opening thinks was Anthony Bourdain one of his shows, No Reservations or whatever, where he hung out with this guy that was from Koreatown and his family owned a restaurant and now he does these food carts and stuff. But he talked about in Koreatown during the riots, everyone guarding their restaurants with guns, like Korean store owners with machine guns on the roofs because cops weren't going to that part of town, right, And I'm not sure why it was real. Yeah, there's a lot that was going on around.
Speaker 1: That.
Speaker 4: I mean, okay, wait, I'm perhaps confusing. There were there were riots during When did the beating of Rodney King happen in conjunction with the oj trial? Was it the same year?
Speaker 5: It was right around I think right before, And that's why people were when the when the verdict was announced, even though there were there were certain people who were like, how dare the he's guilty or whatever, but a lot of people were like thank god because they everyone was so afraid of the rioting, right, And it was because it had happened, the Rodney King beating. When that when that verdict came back and those people got off, when they had been videotaped beating the shit out of him, that's when people were just like, fuggin' it's on, right.
Speaker 1: But in the seventies it.
Speaker 4: Was within the saying they did almost overlap, right, Yes, yeah, okay, because I didn't want to.
Speaker 5: That offhand, and I could be wrong, but I believe Rodney King happened right before OJ. I think it was like because.
Speaker 4: It went and definitely affected the outcome. Those riots definitely affected the outcome of that trial.
Speaker 1: I believe so well.
Speaker 5: And it also just woke people up to this idea that like everyone going, well, he should just go to jail the end, And then it was that thing of like there have been these kinds of like him getting off is a get back, yeah for all this like injustice in the legal system and a bunch of white people who had never even thought about it before, going that's bullshit. And then it's like, then you watch this documentary that thirty by thirty where they start talking about these horrible riots and how insanely racist in the sixties and seventies, LAPD was like publicly unrepentantly racist.
Speaker 1: It's crazy.
Speaker 4: But at the same time, a lot of those jurors, jurors saying, yeah, we maybe made a mistake in letting.
Speaker 1: In letting him go, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: But then there was those ways that like Dad, I also, the Ryan Murphy series was so good that I never thought I'd be so interested in that OJ story as when they rebooted all of that and it all came out like at the same time because it was that thing of like you, it was because it was televised, it became something so much more than just this trial. It was like it took over the whole culture. And then it was like, I don't know, that was amazing, Yeah it was.
Speaker 4: And so wait, the Isaac from the Love Boat when did he at this?
Speaker 5: So Isaac from a Love Vote is in the James Brown came and did as a concert in South Central and it was for like when when the political movement started happening in the seventies and it was the power to the people basically kind of situation, and he did this big concert there. Isaac from the Love Boat is in the beginning of the documentary being interviewed about the political action that's taking place on the streets of South Central And he's not a famous actor yet. He's just a He's like a guy that's like, I have my family and I have to do this, and just a guy talking to the camera.
Speaker 1: And it's you.
Speaker 5: You recognize him immediately because of course it's Isaac from the Love Art and.
Speaker 4: We all know him well, he's aged. Well, I recognized him last year. Yeah, yeah, he's and like I said, the sweetest man. I wish I knew his name, but I speak from the Love Boat.
Speaker 5: It's Ted Mmmm, it's Ted something. No, the blonde guy was Ted McGinley. It's Ted.
Speaker 4: Chet and I didn't love both though I don't know.
Speaker 1: I bet he came on one time.
Speaker 4: He looks good in a sailor suit. Let's agree on that.
Speaker 1: He's definitely good at yachting.
Speaker 5: I think we know that. Can I turn left hair?
Speaker 4: I think so sure. There's all these signs Claim Jumper Casino the place to go for good food and fun.
Speaker 5: Do you want to go to the claim Jumper and get some go look bread.
Speaker 4: See every different area has their own claim Jumper jangle.
Speaker 1: Oh, I grew up with this one.
Speaker 4: I think Claim Jumper Casino, the one in Missoula, Montana. And the song that I did that accurately, I just sang had no, they were not related.
Speaker 1: They were not.
Speaker 4: No. This one, the one that I'm talking about. There was an actual picture of a prospector jumping for joy because he've just found some gold.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's the one. There used to be one. I think it's the same one. They just updated it because there was a claim Jumper on the drive to Las Vegas we used to stop at when me cj Arabia ken daily.
Speaker 1: All the people used to go to Velles and it was up.
Speaker 5: On a hill and it looked like an old sawmill like on the hill. And when you ordered the garlic bread, it was knee on orange. It looked like Kraft macaroni and cheese powder on top of bread and it was good.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I remember being a person that liked that. Now New York Film Academy does that it's a font thing. Doesn't it make you think of New York.
Speaker 5: Seltzer, Yes, I think it's supposed to.
Speaker 1: I think they're trying to trick you.
Speaker 4: I think that that that that font is.
Speaker 5: Called New Yorker, it's called showbiz. I'd also like to say this, there's a good chance that the documentary I'm talking about that it's the it's I want to say James Brown is the one that was doing that. I'm almost positive it was. But then there's a chance it could be someone else. Oh, but I'm almost positive with Brown.
Speaker 4: I bet, I bet all this. It's going to be up yeah, and fact checked and notified on Twitter.
Speaker 5: There's just you know, I don't know. It's we should look up at that actor's name.
Speaker 4: Okay, let's do that. Ted totally makes sense.
Speaker 1: Ted mixed something.
Speaker 4: Let's look, it's okay to have some down.
Speaker 5: Time or Ted Glass, Ted Glass, No, Ted.
Speaker 4: Typing with one. His name was Theodore William Ted Lang, Ted Lang, Ted Lang, you were right, I was.
Speaker 1: Close Theodore William Lang.
Speaker 4: What a smile? Look at him.
Speaker 5: He was so charming, that guy. Yeah, he was having a good time at that bar. And also everyone confided in him because he's a bartender.
Speaker 4: That's right. It maybe was the most interesting plot reoccurring plot on that show than all the love Maggie.
Speaker 1: All the Lido deck hotness.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I always liked the idea that people, certain people got to sit at the captain's table, but other people did not, And that kind of elitism was what I was all about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, back then, you just earned it somehow.
Speaker 5: There was one episode where Chachi was on, Scott Bao was on, and he got a crush on a girl on that boat. And when I watched it, it was as if it was as if I was finding out that my real boyfriend was cheating on me on television. That's how it felt to watch Scott Baio Love. I think it may have been Vicki or somebody on the Love Boat.
Speaker 4: Oh wow. You know it's so funny that I don't I remember that show being on, But I think it was just bad timing for me. I did not ever watch an episode. I'm gonna just admit that.
Speaker 5: Okay, you might be a little bit too young too.
Speaker 4: It was like the perfect for me fairly.
Speaker 5: But can I just point out that the license plate holder on the car in front of us says swimming makes me wet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's fun because there's sexual innuendo, but also it's just quite literal because.
Speaker 1: But then coorse it does it does?
Speaker 5: It doesn't need to be said no, And it looks like a family van, right, So then it makes me think some weird mom who doesn't have correct boundaries is in charge there. Yeah, then I get real work.
Speaker 4: What kind of things is she just saying to the kids in the backseat. If that's an.
Speaker 5: Example, this is it's a peek inside a world I don't want to know exists, right.
Speaker 4: I do. And the last thing I think about when I'm swimming a sex bainly because of how many band aids there are in the pool that I go to, so many, it's.
Speaker 1: So gross, so gross.
Speaker 5: It's really good.
Speaker 4: I go there, I get the work done. It's therapy for me. Most of the women I swim with are in their eighties and I'm not being agis, but sex does not come up, and luckily so it's all therapeutic.
Speaker 1: But this I don't know.
Speaker 5: I don't. I feel like that's the kind of stuff you don't announce to la traffic. No, that's private thoughts, and that's.
Speaker 4: It's like an impact font. It's very logical. She really wants people to know at least have it being seductive.
Speaker 5: Cursive, I know, and kind of like a very much thinner script.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'd like I'd like the script to be at least a warning of how saltry the message is.
Speaker 5: Going to be, and not some block letter like the Olympics announcements.
Speaker 4: You just screamed at me that we're going swimming and we're gonna fop mom.
Speaker 1: And we're on fucking riverside.
Speaker 5: No one needs that here in this part of town. Now, I've decided to drive over here because not only are we in the inquestrian area of Burbank, which is fun, but we're going to drive by the Bullet Alley, which I love. And also it's kind of there's nature. It's a fun area.
Speaker 4: Christian Duguey lives somewhere around this party, and I went to his house on New Year's Eve and it was very fun. And you know what everyone did at midnight instead of makeout in front of single people, Huh, what here we go? We jumped in his pool like all once I get like, it was straight out of Uh. It's a wonderful life. Well except those people fell into the pool, everyone consciously and there was no phone accidents. No one.
Speaker 5: Oh that's great. No one got pushed, no one. It was it was great.
Speaker 4: It was like at midnight, everyone and no one. I almost appreciate this now more. No one took video of it. We just did it for the sake of an experience.
Speaker 5: That's great, and it was fun.
Speaker 4: I mean I changed first, I went to the bathroom, put on my trunks. We counted down to midnight. I leapt into the pool right at that moment. It was like a cool thing.
Speaker 5: I didn't know be cool.
Speaker 4: It was really cool.
Speaker 1: That sounds great.
Speaker 5: I really love, love love Emily my Mills. She's so much and the fact that she's from San Francisco makes me. It just I feel like such a kinship with her because she's from where I'm from, and she's the coolest person.
Speaker 4: There's a bay. It used to be a bath bathing area, and it's on it's made of stone. A long long time ago, it was some bathing area. Do you know that part of San Francisco, Yeah, the Sutra baths. Yes. And I just ran into her and Christian there and her mom, like I just randomly was there and I bumped into them and then we all went out that night. They're they're the best. And Emily is in the the thing that I shot recently that we're now editing, where we're I'm composited into that old Hell's Angel movie and she, oh, yeah, she's like the love interest. But and we had like these two scenes where we're supposed to kiss, and it felt weird, and I'm like, what if we just awkwardly don't kiss and our faces get real close and and it'll end up being a really funny part of it. I'm glad that she's married to my friend. I'm not going to kiss her. I'm not. This isn't a real thing where we're acting. It would just feel weird.
Speaker 5: But it was your big chance.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's my last chance. Yeah. I think she's married for good. I think they're happy. And she's so good in it. She's she's real good at that Joanne where the old time acting sound. She's very does it very subtly in this thing. Yeah, and I've seen footage of it. I'm very excited about it. That's something I'm excited to show it to you. I've seen some sneak peeks.
Speaker 5: And when is it? When it comes out? Where will it be just in the internet.
Speaker 4: We are being shot with the folks that make Tim and Eric and Eric Condridge. Absolutely yes, they are going to help us pitch it, which that's the valuable Yeah, and and I'm very excited about that. I think it belongs on Adult Swim. So I'm just gonna say that's where it's gonna end up.
Speaker 5: I love it.
Speaker 4: Put it in the universe.
Speaker 5: Let's tell the universe. Let's really get specific with our wants and knees.
Speaker 4: I know a lot of people don't talk about the Secret anymore, but I'm going to bring it back, bring it back without reading that Psychoed Path book. I'm not gonna read it.
Speaker 1: I can, I can.
Speaker 5: I watched the movie, I read the book. I can tell you anything about the secret.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh wow. And I kind of I subscribe to the magazine only. But I here's the thing.
Speaker 4: I know, how about the Artist's Way? Do you do that?
Speaker 5: My mom bought me that book when I was like twenty and I.
Speaker 4: Was like, Maria Bamford gave it to me.
Speaker 1: Thanks Mom.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of homework.
Speaker 5: There's it's all writing, it's all like put down your dreams and do this thing.
Speaker 1: And it's like, what if I don't know?
Speaker 5: What if I don't check in with myself, and nor am I interested in checking in with myself to find out what I truly want?
Speaker 4: Deep down? Right?
Speaker 1: I don't know, but I will tell you this.
Speaker 5: The concept behind the secret is very simple, and they try to stretch it out and make it different. What it is is figure out what you want to do and then focus on it and not just like trying to grab people and tell them about it. Right, just do that energy. Yeah, that's a very.
Speaker 4: Putting it into the universe. Now you're lying to me and telling me you got a show.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, that's not don't tell anybody. Focus on it for yourself, and you create the energy around it by by your just the force of will and your focus. And basically you going like I want this thing and then I wanted to happen because I.
Speaker 4: Swear to that it sounds like an annoying person, though I don't want to. I don't want to be that person. He's always talking about his.
Speaker 1: Dreams, but you're not talking to people about it.
Speaker 4: That's my It's okay.
Speaker 5: It's like you can walk around your apartment and go like, I want to be a cartoonist on Man TV or whatever.
Speaker 1: Right, right mad megaic?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, No, it's okay.
Speaker 5: They're very related, same font, but you know whatever, like you, it's more of your It's for yours.
Speaker 1: The message is for you.
Speaker 4: It's not I could. I could stand to do that. I don't. I've never had someone. That was one of the first things I heard when I moved to town is it's like, as long as you know why you're he or what you want. But I've never known, and I kind of have enjoyed the journey of like I never asked if I could interview people at skateboard events or whatever. And then when I was doing that, I'm like, oh my god, this what a cool job. And I'm not doing that now, and I look back on it fondly, you know what I mean, Like all the accidental things. There's absolutely right now. Oh hey, the high building, you love you you building, Mary, Christmas to you in jail. I didn't watch that this year.
Speaker 5: I didn't either. We know how it ends, Oh yeah, he dies right well?
Speaker 4: Angels. It talks about angels getting wings. I think that's the very final message. Boy, Clarence. I'm sorry. I like to do I'd like to do voices from that.
Speaker 5: You like get a little nice Jimmy Stroure Store, I do. I do Jimmy Store, I do. I like doing that.
Speaker 4: I like doing Christopher Walk. I like doing all the ones no one wants to hear.
Speaker 1: They call them the simples.
Speaker 4: And but yes, I need to do that. I need to make a clear plan and I kind of am good. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's the way to do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't tell anybody what you.
Speaker 4: Want, right, just have it in your head.
Speaker 5: And then if they ask, you can say it real fast because you'll have it ready right.
Speaker 4: No. That that's part of the reason that when I moved here, people like my manager at the time where But so when someone asks you, you give a clear answer rather than me saying, yeah, I'll do whatever. Yeah, I enjoy it. Yeah, sure, I'll act as a plan. B what kind of what I remember moving here? And someone's like, you need to do impressions on stage and I'm like, no, I'm not willing to let anyone tell me.
Speaker 5: Well, that's that's the hard thing about comedy is you get here because you're you're good at comedy. In your town, and so they're like, oh, move to LA. You're so good at comedy. And then you move to LA and you very quickly realize comedy isn't enough, right, and you have to start figuring out how to be good at other things and basically casting the net way fucking whiter than stand up right, And that's horrifying.
Speaker 4: And if you move there and you have this really specific plan, I always feel like, well, that's you're really upping the chances of that not being fulfilled. If it's a super specific yeah, thing, but it works for some people.
Speaker 5: It does work for some people, but it's you have to be like, well, this is the plan, and what I want so badly is to be on like Hollywood Game Night. Well you have that in your pocket, but you don't not do other things in lieu of that. You don't hold out for that. You do everything to build toward the great dream of Hollywood Game Night. Is it is still on the air.
Speaker 4: No, I don't know what Hollywood Game Night is. I thought that was just a general like making it in town.
Speaker 5: For some reason, Hollywood Game Night is a TV show and it's the first and only TV show I can think of the name of I have never heard of it. I think Jane Lynch is the host. It's celebrities playing games.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, you know it's.
Speaker 1: A the hangout. It's the hangout genre of television.
Speaker 4: I wonder if I met Jane Lynch if she'd like me.
Speaker 5: I bet she would, I hope. So as long as you're not whistling.
Speaker 1: Oh, she is also of the theater.
Speaker 4: Yes, I've enjoyed her work.
Speaker 5: She's so funny. So now we're in I guess this is partly Glendale, isn't it. Or we're kind of back in for a bank again. Oh okay, we've gone. I mean we've made a very large square.
Speaker 4: Well, we've all I mean, we're getting close to where we could wrap it. Are giving closing statements.
Speaker 5: I guess. Let's see. I'm for twenty eighteen. I'm gonna try harder.
Speaker 4: To yes resolutions.
Speaker 1: Let's do some resolutions.
Speaker 4: Okay, here we go. I'll try and think of one real quick.
Speaker 1: Okay, we haven't done, have we done?
Speaker 5: We did? Was was our episode with Matt before the New Year after?
Speaker 4: I believe it was before?
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, so let's see this. I'm gonna try to leave my house more and socialize more, yes, because kind of like you were saying, but it's like you have to be out getting the good feedback to remember that. That's what that in my mind, I'm always like, I'm just gonna go to a party. It's all the same people. I don't want to have the same dumb conversation rightly, which is pretending that I know how all of life is going to go right, which is insane. And also I don't give anybody a chance to like try to talk to me because I find that humiliating. So there's like a I have a weird like I can stay for fifteen minutes and then I have to sneak out the back right where like we got a text from Matt of like sorry to talk to you. There's all these people at that party. I didn't talk to you that I could have, but I was just like I can't. So anyway, I'm gonna be less of a quitter.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, me, I'm me too, because I'm I've been thinking that I have to stay home and stay out of trouble. I don't know, I just am becoming a scared person. Yeah, I think it happens as you get older. Yeah, you're just like, well, I'll stay at home because I enjoy being at home.
Speaker 5: Yeah, me too, but that's not very exciting and it's not like for me, I need good experiences so that I can tell myself good things happen also when you leave the house, as opposed to just never doing it and then being like, no one likes you and you're a bad.
Speaker 4: And my interaction today it's on social media. It wasn't even someone actually saying good job. It was just like I looked at and like, oh, people like this thing. I'm looking at my phone. I haven't. It was enough though, for today, I really it got you through. Yeah, yeah, it's my little fake news thing is getting passed around. That feels nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's very good.
Speaker 4: Not fake news. It's not about that. It's just a pretend news thing.
Speaker 5: It's just a fun I want to see it.
Speaker 4: And I'll show it to you when we're done.
Speaker 5: And everybody that's listening to this, go look at go look at Chris's Twitter feed and then you can see what this is as well.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's a thing that I did, and I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but I think that I like it.
Speaker 5: Let Chris know, if you don't like it by recording your own video of something better, can you do it?
Speaker 1: I don't think you can.
Speaker 5: It's a rebuttal of sort a creative rebuttal of quality work you're putting forward.
Speaker 4: Yeah, A touche if you will, A touch. You know.
Speaker 5: The one thing I have been doing lately, which is you know, it's something I'm great at, which is eating. But I've been making dinner plans with friends where we go to fancy restaurants in La not just like oh, because I'll always just be like, meet me at the astro, like I love diners.
Speaker 4: But everything's shutting down on your corner? Did that?
Speaker 5: I know?
Speaker 1: Isn't that sad?
Speaker 4: That's very sad. I did cry. I'm like not.
Speaker 5: But we went Patriots and I she's the best, she's the best.
Speaker 1: And her girlfriend.
Speaker 5: We went to a restaurant called Gwen that's on Sunset Boulevard, down the street a little bit from where Cat and Fiddle used to be really fancy, and it was so fun. The food was incredible. It just felt like this event night, even though we just did it for fun, right, And that's the thing where I'm like, well, I'm gonna That's how I'm going to socialize, right, And then I think the other thing I might start doing is starting a game night.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I'll play games right. It's good healthy fun too, because that's in the new year. I'm just I'm gonna be healthy. I'm not gonna drink. I'm gonna I'm gonna exercise. I'm gonna get this damn hip of mine because only I don't think I told you. I went snowboarding a couple of days in a row in Montana and I felt great, Oh, my new hip works great.
Speaker 5: That's great.
Speaker 4: I even took some hard falls, which you don't usually fall in your day to day snowboard unless some one point said a thing and you slept or there's a mistake. But I'm like, I actually went and rode with my friends and jumped off stuff and wrecked and there was no pain.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 4: It was the best. I'm like fixed, that's great. So I'm gonna be gonna go outside and be outdoorsy again. That's good and not be you know, look for other ways.
Speaker 5: Oh you were saying when we were having when we were making actually fun and.
Speaker 1: Interesting small talk, I think I was talking to m.
Speaker 5: M M. Who was it? We were talking about surfing and then remember you were talking about how you your surfboard er, boogie board or whatever was actually in your in your garage and I just like had tucked it away and forgot about it. Yeah. Yeah, Like I would totally not write this moment. But like, if I lived where you lived, the goal of being a surfer would be a really amazing thing to do, right, because it's so good for you. It's really hard, but it's like so good for you.
Speaker 4: I just I've always felt like when I go do that, I'm like, I already know how to skateboard and that's what brings me joy. Why am I adding this other thing that I'm not good at yet? But it's totally different, and you're in the ocean and it's I wish I liked surfing more.
Speaker 5: I don't.
Speaker 4: I've gone fifty times. It's really hard, it's really frustrating. I'm supposed to like it and I don't. And I'm sorry to everyone that gets joy out.
Speaker 5: You know what.
Speaker 1: I love this honesty.
Speaker 5: I love this twenty eighteen honesty about extreme sports.
Speaker 4: I've seriously gone like fifty times. I believe you over the year. I've gone a lot, and I've had days where I felt like I was getting some luck with it, but it is that is the one thing, as if like a yoga move of me having my hands in front of my leading leg getting standing up on the thing, that is what hurts my hip. And it still is one of the things. Huh, standing sideways and like tying that shoe for instance, like yes, yes, having both hands up there is what hurts you know. That's why I haven't been enjoying it lately.
Speaker 5: I call that the hamstring issue.
Speaker 4: Oh it's my dumb hip. It's just the hip.
Speaker 5: But uh yeah, I feel like it's not going to be surfing for me. But it would be great if I got something as well that I that I like, that really engaged me. You know what I think it is secretly I'm going to tell you and then our audience, which is our secret. Okay.
Speaker 1: I think it's that I would love to.
Speaker 5: Be in a band.
Speaker 4: Oh you should be in a band.
Speaker 5: I want to be in a band, but ID yes, but I just wouldn't.
Speaker 1: I mean like I would to know how to do that or.
Speaker 4: I bet, but I would love it. You could easily do that I know, but.
Speaker 1: Like I don't know. There's also things.
Speaker 5: Where I'm like, I don't know.
Speaker 4: It would Yeah, it's it seems like something I always feel like, well, that's too late for me in life to do this thing. Yeah, but I don't think that about surfing. I just look back and on my experiences with it and realized I wasn't. It didn't bring me joy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you need it's the joy piece, and for me that is like.
Speaker 4: People won't accept that that. I don't want to serve either.
Speaker 1: But I will and have you're fighting no One.
Speaker 4: And I will go again. I will enjoy it. But I too would rather be in a band and I only play trombone.
Speaker 5: It's just like playing music is one of those things that, like time, it's the whole flow thing.
Speaker 1: It's like time.
Speaker 5: Moves differently, super engaging makes me happy in a wholly different chemical way.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: Uh, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I would love it if you're in a band. I love hearing you play music.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I was thinking.
Speaker 5: Too, would be fun if I recorded an album in my front, empty living room.
Speaker 4: Oh that sounds great.
Speaker 5: Wouldn't that be fun? Because like we have this zoom Yes, like Stephen could be that because you know, Stephen produces our other podcasts.
Speaker 4: Everyone would want to hear that.
Speaker 5: It doesn't need to be live, right, and there could be people in the front room when I do it, but like to do because I did my show. I mean I did a show with my friends the band shore Shore and did a couple songs, and I was like, I didn't want to do it. Lizzie Cooperman was like, you have to do it. You have to do things, and so I did it and it was super fun. And I did a Rihanna cover last minute that I actually pulled off, Like I did all these things that were big challenges and hard that I actually ended up pulling off where I was like, oh, I thought that was gonna be much more embarrassing than it was.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, So I would love to hear. I think everyone listening would be excited about you doing okay, well, recording some songs.
Speaker 5: If you'd be excited, send Chris twenty dollars.
Speaker 4: To my parthenon and then I'll yeah, I promised to do something.
Speaker 5: Also, I wonder if we should make an other design of a shirt.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think so. I don't think that we should just print the same one again. I'll work on that.
Speaker 5: Okay, Yeah, like.
Speaker 1: You know, just could be just a steering wheel.
Speaker 4: Well, after doing the my favorite murder mustache shirt, I'm like, I'm like, I really.
Speaker 1: Like that when Oh Steven shirt.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I like thinking of at the very start of an idea, thinking of it as a shirt, which I never did for our little podcast illustration thing that was just to be an icon for the website or wherever people listen to. And I still don't know how this works or where people go.
Speaker 1: None of us do.
Speaker 5: What if you did an action shirt that was in your illustrative version of when the guy tried to hit the car with the bike lock ooh, which was a moment we talked about on this podcast.
Speaker 6: Car.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's come up a lot. Yeah, like an act like a comic booky action shirt.
Speaker 5: Yeah, where it's our pov of looking at the guy attacking the car and then.
Speaker 1: It's do you need to ride?
Speaker 4: I like it. I think that's a good idea.
Speaker 1: That'd be kind of cool.
Speaker 4: Right, I'll knock around some ideas. That's at the top right now, though, a scared Todd Glass screaming and yeah, well we really horrified Todd that day.
Speaker 1: I mean that was rough.
Speaker 4: It was rough and tumble. Well, I'm happy to see you again.
Speaker 5: I know you too. Yeah, we're going to socialize more in twenty eighteen. We're going to do more with this podcast. We're going to record more often.
Speaker 4: I'm going to go to one of these game nights or dinner dates with you.
Speaker 5: Okay, great, I'm going to do that, plan it out, have my friends over. I think the older you get, you really have to get proactive about doing stuff like that, because when you're younger, it just kind of happens.
Speaker 4: Tomind you. Tonight, I'm doing a movie night with my friend Chuck, who is out of the hospital and he's doing well, and we're all going to watch a movie with him.
Speaker 5: Nice. Is Michelle going to be there?
Speaker 4: I think I'm gonna possibly pick Michelle up nice. If she's ready to go out, that's good. I'm gonna grab her nice friends Austin Austin friends. Yay.
Speaker 5: Well good, I think we've got and you're invited to if you want to come?
Speaker 1: No, thank you?
Speaker 5: Whoops?
Speaker 1: Oh no already.
Speaker 4: I'd rather stay at home. Whoops.
Speaker 5: Deep Down, my real resolution is to keep on saying no to everything.
Speaker 4: My new Year's resolution isn't to change anything. Does anyone ever say that?
Speaker 5: I want it all to say exactly as it is.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you never said that. It was Gary Marshall. That's why we're passing that theater. Well, we're we're near anything about your Where are you going this weekend?
Speaker 5: This weekend?
Speaker 1: But I think they're all sold out?
Speaker 5: But this weekend my Favorite Murder will be live in Las Vegas and at the Red Rocks Casino, And we were also going to be in Phoenix doing shows there.
Speaker 4: That's and I'm look out for the new release of Mad magazine. I'm gonna have some drawings in it. Yeah, it's two jobs. I'm right. I'm writing the jokes and the drawings. They are two separate jobs.
Speaker 5: That's big. Yep, it's doubly big, double big for you.
Speaker 4: And things are great. Two thousand and eight. You've been listening to Do you need a ride? Am I ready to do this?
Speaker 5: Sure?
Speaker 4: D y n A R.
Speaker 6: Are you leaving?
Speaker 2: I you wanna way back home?
Speaker 5: Either way you want to be.
Speaker 2: There, doesn't matter how.
Speaker 1: Much baggage you claim.
Speaker 3: Give us time and they turning on and gage.
Speaker 2: We want to send you off instead, you want to welcome you back home. Tell us all about it.
Speaker 5: We scared her? Was it fine?
Speaker 4: Malborn?
Speaker 5: Oh? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 6: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 1: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 5: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 4: Do you need with Karen and chriss mh