Speaker 1: Hey guys, Bobby Here Sunday Sampler. Zach Brown was on the Bobby Cast.
Speaker 2: It's awesome.
Speaker 1: It's an hour long ups and downs forming the band. The advice Bruce Bringsteen gave him get to that movie. Mike's Movie podcast Mike goes to the top five new movies to stream at home, which I'm constantly googling, like what's the best movie?
Speaker 2: Four Things with Amy Brown.
Speaker 1: Amy has her niece in with her sore losers. We're all doing it, so check it out. Let's start with a clip from this week's Bobby Cast with Zach Brown.
Speaker 2: Do you play pickleball?
Speaker 3: I have a pickleball court at my house.
Speaker 2: Let's go. I'm building one right there behind the place. Right now.
Speaker 3: You can have a bridge for your dog already have a bridge for my dog that goes over the pickleball court so he can watch.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, no, no, no, I'm not crazy.
Speaker 1: I mean we did build out of plywood a skybridge for our fat bulldog into the side yard because.
Speaker 2: He would drown. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they don't swim.
Speaker 2: They don't then they they just see.
Speaker 3: They fart a lot.
Speaker 2: He's not a big farter really yeah, yeah, big snore. You like bulldogs.
Speaker 3: Yeah you everyone, No, you ever had We've had French bulldogs. Oh man, same thing. People like steal those in the street. Yeah, like just see you. They wouldn't see you and steal your dog. Though, there's things you learn about, like a tail pocket.
Speaker 2: I don't know what that is.
Speaker 3: So underneath their tail they have this like that's what prison, Hey, this is my tail pocket, Bobby. Like if you're holding someone's immediately immediately be like all right, he first day in prison, I'll hold your pocket and they're like, no, you don't have to do that.
Speaker 2: No, I will, I'll do I know my right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's a good self defense mechanism. What's what's a tail pocket? So Frenchies have like underneath their tail, they have this little like cavern where their little gnarly tail. First of all, bulldogs haven't been able to procreate. They would be extinct already. They're like the Dodo bird dogs, right. So so it's a process to doing all that you know, like you know, and then you find out things about them after you have them, like oh, the tail pocket is infected. It's like this weird moist place that's on the back side of the dog, and it's like, you know, that's an is that's a thing. So you learn weird things when you have dogs that should be dead but they're not should be extinct.
Speaker 1: So you spend a whole lot of money on yours because it was always sick. And it's because one hundred years of genetic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's a way. That's our story with his dog.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's it's wild. I mean, there are cool they're like little gargoyles.
Speaker 2: He's the greatest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's actually not that much of an idiot. He likes to sleep a lot now, but he's awesome. But yeah, he's because they just genetically aren't supposed to exist. Yeah, and there's been so much inbreeding.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: People would say the same thing about people from Arkansas. But I'm here, Hey, look at me.
Speaker 3: You're doing great.
Speaker 1: I gotta I gotta bridge for my dog to walk over, and you're pretty good.
Speaker 3: You should be in the Arkansas Hall of Fame. That dog bridge.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 3: I don't know if anybody in Arkansas has a dog bridge.
Speaker 2: I think I got into that when I just drove across the border.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was like I'm gonna I'm going to be somebody and they were like, you're in the Hall of fame.
Speaker 4: What's it?
Speaker 2: What are you a good pickleball player?
Speaker 3: I'm learning, I'm learning, I'm working on it. Me and the kids are out there and it's just that time of year and now two where it's fun where we're out there doing it. And what's weird about it is you get a little bit better every time you play. Just learn how to hit it and keep it in the bounds. But I love anything that is active and you're exercising without thinking about exercising.
Speaker 1: That's my whole thing too. Like I will work out three or four times with my trainer.
Speaker 2: It sucks. I hate exercise. I hate for the sake of exercise. I'll do it, and I do do it, but I hate it.
Speaker 1: But I love being act I like competing, yeah, and then you're exercising yeah, and you're like, man, that was fun, and I just like, totally, I don't have to go to bench press right now.
Speaker 5: I will.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty good.
Speaker 1: I did like two sixty look at me, awesome, not that big a dude, awesome to sixty. I'm old too, That's why I shouldn't be doing max reps. I've done this since high school. But I was like, let's see what I.
Speaker 2: Can do now.
Speaker 3: I hired a trainer about four months ago, and his approach to everything is completely different than anything I've ever seen or done. And eat during the lesson or what, seventy seventy five percent of the workout is rolling on foam rollers, pasture, ball, lacrosse balls, peanuts super important. Yeah, and that's how you keep the old man out.
Speaker 1: I never got flexible and ever my whole life until like the last year, spent so much time stretching, and it has helped my performance, Like I don't know what I'm doing.
Speaker 2: Ye, it has helped.
Speaker 1: I did tear my My labor's good, but my rotator cuff tour twice right now.
Speaker 2: It's sucks. But I'm here doing this interview. I show up.
Speaker 3: So we we talked about labs.
Speaker 1: On laboram two different things. Say, I got a book for you to read. Make it sure, it's called a medical journal.
Speaker 2: Okay, what do you so? What's what's fun for you right now? What's fun?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 1: I'm going to play pickleball my buddy when this is over. I've been working since Yeah, it's like four this morning. Awesome, just a normal day, right. But what I do if I get a second is I'm going to go play pickle ball when this is over. And that's how I don't think about things for a minute until my mind starts running again. What is that for you?
Speaker 3: Two things right now? So Thursday tomorrow, I'm going to go bowfishing. So I have a bow fishing boat. You got to go to the coast though, right, No, I on the river here?
Speaker 2: Oh got it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have a boat fishing boat on the river. Yeah, it'll be like having a yacht on the lake.
Speaker 3: It's just a dis an aluminum boat, that's not It just had lights all the way around it. So you go up front and you have a bow and arrow with a reel on the.
Speaker 1: So it's a it's a like on the bottle ot over or whatever kind of boat. But then you just you kind of gear it to be up.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You run around at night and it shines the lights and you can see where the fish are laid up along the banks, and you you miss a lot, but when you shoot and you hit them, it's fun.
Speaker 2: The bow attached, you pull it back or is it gone?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it has the arrows attached to a bottle of string and then you have a reel that reels that back in. So you shoot a big fish and then squid. He's a little handle and you reel the fish in, pull in that boat there fight you Oh yeah, they don't want Yeah, they don't want to come.
Speaker 7: In the so they don't.
Speaker 2: You don't kill them immediately, No.
Speaker 3: Not necessarily. I mean if you can, if you hit them in the head on the right spot. So another my greatest source of that recharge for me is spearfishing.
Speaker 2: That's got to be on the coast right usually easily.
Speaker 3: It's the ocean. Yeah, but like Nationals, last year was held in a big lake. So Nationals, yeah, there's competition, there's world teams. Now I didn't compete, but it's my absolute favorite thing. So free diving and diving, diving down and hunting fish.
Speaker 4: You me, you.
Speaker 2: Free dive, Yes, then you go and you hunt fish.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: Do you have to train just holding your breath, yes.
Speaker 4: You do.
Speaker 3: And you have to learn how to relax. You have to learn how to lower your heart rate when you get in the water, so you have more time when you're holding your breath and you dive down and swim down, you know. But I have friends that I go with that are like my buddy Justin Lee's but one of the best in the world. He won nationals last year or the year before, and you know he can go two hundred feet free diving and go down and shoot fish two hundred feet down with no tank, no nothing, just just a spear and some weights and fins and a mask.
Speaker 1: But you only do that wrong once it's over. It's not like you can do it wrong and get I mean, you do that wrong once.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you go you usually have somebody in the water with you. You want to have someone that's you know, spotter, good enough to be there to kind of keep an eye on in case you have a blackout or whatever.
Speaker 2: But like, this is Fiji, this this last year. What that fish looks as taller and like and I've been that's saltwater, right, saltwater?
Speaker 3: Yeah, God, dang, it's a dog tooth tuna.
Speaker 2: I feel like you could crawl in the mouth of that thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's it's I mean there it is out of the water.
Speaker 2: Oh you could.
Speaker 1: It's as big as you are. So how did you get into freaking spearfishing?
Speaker 3: I went to the Bahamas in this old bohemian guy that was there. It's like a legend. Guy took me spearfishing one time. It's like fourteen years ago, and I just fell in love with it.
Speaker 2: I feel like.
Speaker 3: You're challenging your breath, you're challenging the ocean, challenging the fish, you're challenging the weather. It's like it's this whole thing. But for me, it's one of the activities. When I'm doing that, when I'm diving down, there's no chatter. Chatter doesn't exist, so you're you're only in that moment and it's so primal, and you're so just connected to the ocean and nothing else, and you feel small in the greatest possible way.
Speaker 8: Good cast up little food for yourself life.
Speaker 9: Ain't Oh, it's pretty bad. It's pretty beautiful, beautiful for.
Speaker 2: A little more exciting.
Speaker 5: City.
Speaker 4: You're kicking with full with Amy Brown.
Speaker 6: Hey, it's Amy Brown from Four Things with Amy Brown. And here's what we talked about this week on my podcast. Let's take a quick detour and talk about this paper that you wrote.
Speaker 10: At the end of this last semester.
Speaker 11: I had to do like a final research paper for a class I was in and I wanted to talk about Marmie in some way because that's.
Speaker 10: A huge part of my life.
Speaker 11: And if I was going to write this long research paper, I wanted it to be about something that had meaning to me. So I started thinking about like different end of life conversations that people have and end of life regrets, and that was something that was really intriguing to me. And I remember calling mom and I was asking her different questions about Marmie. And it's so interesting being older now and getting just the full story behind her whole life, like towards the end of her cancer journey. And I was only eleven when she passed away, and so now just understanding more and more as I get older everything that really was going on in her mind. And one of the biggest things that my mom had said was that in her last few months, she realized that she had this regret that she didn't follow her dreams so much so to the point she did know she ever really let herself have dreams to follow, and she just closed herself off so much to those dreams because she didn't think she would let herself follow them.
Speaker 6: Anyways, it's a scary thing to do for some people depending on what's happened in life. I would think now looking back, even on my own life, there are moments you probably you just don't even know that you're shutting yourself off from everything. You're just in the moment trying to get through day to day and not allowing yourself to even dream.
Speaker 10: And I think that's maybe she was.
Speaker 11: And it wasn't until she was in hospice on a bed all day that she realized, like, gosh, like I can only follow these dreams when I'm healthy, and now that I'm sick, I'm realizing that while I was healthy, I never let myself go after all these things that I'm thinking about, I don't know. It was really cool to talk to my mom about it because I did not know that about her. And then that became the basis for this paper that I spent weeks researching and learning about and understanding why this is actually a really common thing that happens to people, and it's a common conversation for people nearing the end of their life, the conversation of regrets.
Speaker 6: What did it shape for you? I mean, I know it's a recent thing that you did. You say it was the end of last semester.
Speaker 10: It was my final paper. So in May, so okay, like a month ago.
Speaker 6: All right, So like in the last month, have you found yourself living any differently based on the research that you did and being that you're twenty one years old and you could have so many dreams ahead of you, and maybe you don't want to end up on your hospice bed or your deathbed I guess, as we'll call it, and living with regret that you didn't chase a dream.
Speaker 11: The biggest thing I learned is that if you fail, it's not a failure. It's just a closed door that's leading you into another door. Like all it's doing is putting up a little roadblock in directing you to where you really are supposed to be going. I think that's a hard way to see life sometimes, as seeing things as all the things that get shut off as no, it's not a negative thing. It's just closing you off and opening you up to the next path. And that is how I want to see different things in my life. And when things get shut down, I want to see them as Okay, this isn't a terrible thing, Like I'm going after my dreams and if this one dream doesn't work out, it's leading me into the next. I think that, yeah, yeah, a detour, and I think that is a better way to live life than to sit there and fear the whole time, which I do. I do for some things. So I'm not saying that I'm actively living this out, but that is my goal.
Speaker 6: There's a book that you would love, especially because you're a business major, and it's called Obstacle is the Way. So you can add it and who knows, maybe it'll be the inspiration for you've read it a paper next year.
Speaker 10: Yeah. Oh yeah.
Speaker 6: It's something that Ben and I actually read together a few years ago, and it was very encouraging to me, not just in business, but in my personal life too, and having similar thinking of Okay, this is a real bummer right now, but instead of just being stuck here and not learning from this or taking it with me another direction and seeing rejection as redirection, you know that saying yeah, you know it's from Pinterest or something I saw quote oh we'ich. Speaking of socials, Adeline's got a viral video speaking of Jason Dreams, her and her boyfriend Henry Uh.
Speaker 10: They're going viral on.
Speaker 6: TikTok with a cute video with them in.
Speaker 10: A water house or something like that. Well, I'm enjoying it.
Speaker 6: It's just a simple video, and I'm sure you didn't anticipate in doing anything like you just threw it up of you and your boyfriend and you it's us.
Speaker 10: Spraying each other with a water hose after four wheeling, but.
Speaker 6: In a really cute, playful way that I read one of the comments and it said it's giving Miley Cyrus Liam Himsworth vibes from what movie did they do together? You know that movie that was kind of like The Notebook, Last Call Chance.
Speaker 10: The last from the last song, the last song. Yeah, but that's what it is.
Speaker 6: So yeah, y'all are definitely giving Miley Liam vibes. But they're not together anymore. But that's okay. You and Henry are going strong. But Henry did text you that he thinks that this might be the.
Speaker 10: Peak of you.
Speaker 11: He was like, well, ad On, I guess this is our peak. It's all downhill from here, so I know we're kidding. We're kidding.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we need bigger dreams.
Speaker 10: We're still sending snail mail.
Speaker 6: Yeah, one, Henry seems like an awesome person. I can't wait to get to know him. He's going to need to come intern with me next so that I can get him. That would be really special. Back to the dreams and the research that you did. I mean, I'm forty three and starting a new chapter of my life. I feel like you know, single now and dating again. Which, speaking of that viral video, Adamin and I needed some comedic relief today. It's been a very busy day and we did take a moment to what's it called when you marry him together?
Speaker 10: A stitch? Yeah, on TikTok.
Speaker 6: On TikTok, it's a stitch, but on Instagram it's a remix and you take a part of someone else's video and then you insert yourself. And so Adeline and I went outside and stitched together her and Henry with a water hose, and then all of a sudden it cut to me and I'm just with the water hose, by myself, but.
Speaker 10: Out of myself.
Speaker 6: Great all time with it, and we just thought it was hilarious. I have no idea if that will resonate with anybody else.
Speaker 11: I'll be posted soon, whether she wants to or not, So don't worry. It'll be out there. Adalan's going to put it up.
Speaker 6: But I am in a new phase of life, and I feel like this is a good reminder for me to assess my dreams and go after what I want in this new season, because I think it's easy for me to get stuck in the hustle.
Speaker 7: And bustle of everyday life.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I want to be an example for my kids to dream and chase their dreams. So you're at twenty one and I'm at forty three, and so what the encouragement would be to anybody listening to chase your dreams? And if there is a roadblock, remember obstacle is the way.
Speaker 5: We're gonna do it.
Speaker 4: Live.
Speaker 12: Oh the one, two, three, sore losers?
Speaker 9: What up, everybody? I am lunchbox. I know the most about sports. I'll give you the sports facts, my sports opinions because I'm pretty much a sports genius.
Speaker 5: Y'all.
Speaker 12: It's Susan. I'm from the North. I'm an alpha male. I live on the north side of Nashville with Bayser, my wife. We do have a farm. It's beautiful, a lot of acreage, no animals, a lot of crops hopefully soon corn, pumpkins, Rye. I believe maybe a little fescue to be determined. Over to you, coach.
Speaker 9: And here's a clip from this week's episode of The Sore Losers. I got a PSA for parents out there. I got a PSA. Can you watch your own damn kids preach? Can you please give your kids some attention? Can you please tell your kids to quit squirting me and splashing me and throwing water balloons at me? Why I'm sitting on the edge of the damn pool.
Speaker 5: Sorry, I'm texting Sarah, my friend from college.
Speaker 9: I know Molly and Amanda want to sit at the table and just gossip about life and catch up. But hey, see your kids over here. They're annoying as.
Speaker 5: Sandy from work just sent me this hilarious meme.
Speaker 9: Oh I want to hear that story. Tell me, Oh yeah, hey Jack, yeah, Jack, Okay, Yeah, you're okay, okay, good. No, he's not okay. He just hit me with the water balloon in the face three damn times. Lady.
Speaker 12: They're not focusing because if they're in a conversation that's taking diverting some of their attention. Then you got the cell phone at part of it where the husband's saying his dinner made.
Speaker 5: Hey, honey, I didn't get that bonus, like I told you.
Speaker 12: And then she's talking to the lady at thet.
Speaker 5: You h So they have similar ways. Can you believe they find us for having a red car? Yet Mark drives a Camaro?
Speaker 9: Now yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh John, No, shoot he drowned.
Speaker 5: That was a little dramatic. Let's not have kids drowning. You guys got they've got to wear the armbands, right, uh.
Speaker 9: They well, they wear the floaties, yes, but this is in the bait. They have a like a shallow part and I'm sitting on the edge and my kids are splashing me, throwing, you know, like no, and I'm fine with that. That's cool. It's my kids, guess what. And like kids bring toys and they have those little they're like one shooters, like they can pull them back, yes, and you shoot it. And people have all their toys and so my kids pick it up and they're shooting me with it.
Speaker 5: Zap suckers.
Speaker 9: So then these other kids think they can just pick up these toys and are shooting me with it.
Speaker 12: You're talking about a port missile of water, Yeah, a water missile. A water missile that's exactly what it is. It's not a water gun, but it's a water missile. So these kids start, you know, doing it and like waiting. They're under heavy fire. I mean, you ate a bunker, dude with the chairs. That's when you put up the towel. The moms are watching, laughing.
Speaker 4: It's off.
Speaker 13: No.
Speaker 9: The mom's like, oh yeah, yeah, okay, he's cool. I'm just sitting there. You're a bad mom. So it's my kids, and these other two kids come over like, oh, this guy's getting shot, we can shoot them too, and they start shooting me in the face and they start shooting me. I'm like, all right, all right, all right, okay, all right, and I'm thinking the parents are gonna the moms are gonna say something, but no.
Speaker 5: We got the Ukraine Gaza battle over here.
Speaker 9: A man done sally over there, just still talking away, just talking about life, catching up. They haven't seen each other in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 5: Oh Facebook, Oh I now call it X.
Speaker 9: So funny Twitter, did you see Max?
Speaker 5: That'd make you hotter?
Speaker 9: Oh my god, did you see that billboard over there on I forty? That was so funny.
Speaker 5: It's Beyonce half an agga, Oh.
Speaker 9: My god, we have got to get tickets to the Beyonce show at Nissan.
Speaker 12: Jeremy was driving and he almost hit a light pole. Yeah, Beyonce's hangars were out, girl.
Speaker 9: I mean, I was like, are you looking at Beyonce? And he was like no, and I was like, well, then why did you almost hit the pole? I caught him a red handed lion to me, I caught him ejaculating the other day. What the.
Speaker 12: I tough moms always they'd get into and said, yeah, I don't know if they went to there.
Speaker 9: I don't know if they went there.
Speaker 5: So John is cheating on me. Okay, the pool conversation has turned not really.
Speaker 9: Oh, I'm so sorry. Do you need a class? Do you need one of my beers that or my white claws that I have in my bag.
Speaker 5: All the while you're under fire from the kids.
Speaker 9: I'm just taking a shot after shot after shot.
Speaker 5: I'm a wounded soldier.
Speaker 9: And I'm just like, man, I can't even I'm like, okay, I can't even see. Then there's like a ball and one of my kids wants to play catch, my four year old, so I'm playing catch with him, and then one of those kids like, hey, oh, here's a shark bite bite bite, bite, bite bite. I'm like, okay, okay, Like I'm all right, I'm playing catch bite bite. But he has a little stuffed shark. And I'm like, ladies, get your damn kids, Like, I'm not here.
Speaker 5: Know the ladies. No, introduce yourself.
Speaker 9: I don't know these kids. I don't know them. I'm just trying to interact with my kids.
Speaker 5: They take a foot to the face.
Speaker 9: There, I'm on you. Hello, Hello, I am not a babysit.
Speaker 5: Hey are you in normal clothes or you in your bathing suit?
Speaker 9: So I'm in my suit? Yeah? What about the moms? What are they in? They're in their suits?
Speaker 5: Everybody suited up.
Speaker 9: Yes, people are suited up at the pool with your wife there, she's in her.
Speaker 5: Suit, cause why is she not tell the mom?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 9: I don't know how to tell these like, hey, get your damn kids and get them away from me.
Speaker 12: They probably just view you as the fun guy. But that's why I'm saying, you gotta then cut. They're trying to just push their kids off on you so they have a weekend like they used to have in college.
Speaker 9: They think I'm the damn babysitter and I'm not even getting paid. They're like, oh look we got this chuck. He's gonna babysit our kids while we sit over here and gab and gab of gab.
Speaker 5: But you haven't said were their husbands.
Speaker 9: They ain't there.
Speaker 12: No, see times, I mean that divorce rate is say as it's always been.
Speaker 9: No, they're just probably busy at work. I don't know.
Speaker 12: Yeah, they're slammed on a Saturday. No, they're at the golf course.
Speaker 5: And then in the nineteenth hole they're banging their secretary.
Speaker 9: Maybe so, I'm sorry, maybe so. Anyway, So then I'm playing ketch with my kid. The damn kids are with their shark Shark Shark Shark. I'm like, okay, you guys are annoying af And so then the kid's like, oh, you want to play ketch with my shark and I'm like I can do that. No, No, I'm playing ketch with my kid right now and not right now, And he goes okay and he throws it to me, and I'm like.
Speaker 5: Dude, you're the dad they never had. This actually turns sad.
Speaker 9: I'm like, okay, here, here's your shark back I throw the bottom of my kid here. You want to play ketch down.
Speaker 12: I'm like, they don't have a father figure, dude, that's freaking lebron. Nobody played it with him. His mom bought him a hoop and they said that was the best return on investment ever. You need to play with little Johnny. He doesn't have a dad at home. Mom got the house in the divorce. And he goes home to an empty mansion.
Speaker 9: That might be it. And he's like, guess what I am. I'm the shark trainer. And I'm like, okay, cool kid, give me the shark trainer. I don't give a damn Leave me alone.
Speaker 5: Moms probably all love you.
Speaker 9: Well, no, they don't know. Moms don't talk to me. They're just over there gabbing away. They don't say, hey, thanks for watching my kid. Thanks for you know, being you know, the punching bag, the target for everything in the freaking pool.
Speaker 12: Dude, there's you being super dad and then playing with these side kids, and then Nick and Karen. The other day, I go, hey, man, what do you guys got You got the one kid, right, and they go, no, we have three.
Speaker 14: Hey, it's Mike d And this week on Movie Mike's Movie podcast, I share with you in my top five movies you can stream at home right now. These are all movies that came out in the last year. Most of them I went to go see in theaters. Kelsey and I also reviewed the new Daisy Ridley movie Young Woman in the Sea, which is based on the true story. We fact checked it. We let you know why it's so inspirational, So be sure to check out this full episode to hear all of our spoiler free reviews. But right now, here's just a little bit of my top list of new streaming movies at home. At number three on Max. This is the non movie on the list, but I just watched it and found it really fascinating.
Speaker 15: It is called Movie Pass Movie Crash.
Speaker 14: It is a documentary on movie Pass, which, if you remember, back in twenty sixteen, movie Pass took the world by storm because you could go watch any movie, anytime, any theater for the low price of nine to ninety nine and for about maybe a year, people just went wild, and myself, I did not get a movie Pass card, and I will tell you why. I knew back in twenty sixteen that this card was going to fail It did not seem sustainable to me, because at that time, I already knew how the box office worked, how movies make money, and for a company to be covering the charge of a movie ticket losing money every single time. Somebody used that because they're only paying ten bucks a month, but that's even less than what a ticket costs. So if you go watch just one movie a week, you're losing like forty dollars thirty dollars on one person. And that is not even what people were doing. People were going to multiple movies in a day. In this documentary, they talk all about how this company was created by two entirely different people who ended up running it into the ground, which is the part I had no idea about Movie Past. It was created by these two people who were just trying to keep it small. When it first came out, it was forty bucks. But then you have these two other dudes who are essentially scam artists take over the company and run everything they built in ten years and to the ground. And that's really all I'll say, because I learned a lot by watching this documentary, but it's all the shady things that these two guys who took over the company did, And I'll just speak on the effects of movie Pass and how many movies were affected by more people being able to see them, because when you give people that price of ten dollars to watch as many movies as you want, I think it was so great for movies then because you had people going to see things that they never would have watched otherwise. You had people saying in this documentary that they would go watch The Avengers, watch half of it, leave and try to just come back the next day or later in the day and pick it up halfway through. I have never thought about doing that for the theater experience to be that cheap where you could just make your own schedule on how you want to start and finish your movie.
Speaker 15: That would be great for me.
Speaker 14: If I could just go in the week to watch forty five minutes of a movie and then later go watch another forty five minutes and then go wrap it up later. It is essentially your own personal theater at that point. But I knew so back when everybody was talking about Movie Pass that there's no way it was going to last. And if I had a ten dollars a month movie subscription, then had it taken away from me to go back and paying full price. I feel like that would have hurt my feelings on movies because I hate going from getting a great deal to going back and having to pay full price. So that's why I never did it. And since then you've maybe seen some stories here and there a Movie Past returning. I don't think that model for ten dollars a month will ever happen. It's just not sustainable for anybody. I think we're better off the theaters themselves having their own subscription planes like I have Regal Unlimited. I love that, and it is a much more fair price, and it's also not as crazy as you basically being able to run wild in the theater like Movie Pass allowed you to be. But I do think it's kind of interesting to go back and look at all the movies that benefited from that time. But if you want to have your mind blown and you love movies, which obviously because you listen to this podcast, you do, check out Movie Past Movie Crash on Max. I have that one at number three, also on Max at number two. I know I've talked about it a fair amount on the podcast, but for anybody new here or anybody who hasn't heard me go on and on about The Iron Claw. This is the movie that I recommend to anybody. The number one question I get when I either see people I haven't seen in a while, or I just meet somebody who doesn't know what I do, and I tell them I have a movie podcast.
Speaker 15: They always ask me what do I watch? What do you recommend?
Speaker 14: My go to answer right now is The Iron Claw, because I think even though it is a sports based movie, it's the story of the Van Eric brothers, their tragic story, all about their rise and fall in wrestling.
Speaker 15: I don't think you have to enjoy sports movies.
Speaker 14: I really think the only prerequisite to an enjoy The Iron Claw is.
Speaker 15: Do you like to feel feelings?
Speaker 14: And for me, when I go into a movie, more so than the special effects, more so than the actor in it, any other bells and whistle cinematography, that all goes out the window. The thing I look for and really movies, music, or anything reading something is the emotion I want to feel something while watching a movie, happiness, sadness, and sometimes for me, I searched that sadness my music taste, my movie taste. I love sad movies just because I think in my real life it is hard for me to feel sad. Sometimes it's like my body can't process that emotion. Sometimes I feel like a robot, like my heart is made of stone. But whenever I watch a really good movie that hits me right in the fields, that makes me like this movie did.
Speaker 15: Cry, that is powerful.
Speaker 14: So that is why I'm recommending this movie to everybody, and so far everybody that is reported back without knowing a whole lot going into a said man that was really sad.
Speaker 15: So I don't do that.
Speaker 14: To inherently recommend something that is so sad and a bummer, but because it's based on a true story, because you do learn but also feel something by the end of this movie. That is why it's been That is why, as of late, since it was added to MAX, has been my go to recommendation for people. It is also a movie I feel was really ripped off not being nominated for Best Picture. I think it should have won. Zach Effron not even a single nod or anything for this movie, I feel like more people need to see it because the reason I like movies to win awards is because when people go back like I do and look at the history of what was nominated and what won over different years. This movie isn't going to be on those lists for twenty twenty three, and I think it should be. So I think you have to overcome the fact that it didn't win all the awards, didn't.
Speaker 15: Get all the glory.
Speaker 14: But hopefully by people watching it now that it's available to stream at home, more people will see it. The legacy of the Vaughan Eric Brothers will live on and we'll all get to see a really ripped up Zach effront.
Speaker 15: So I have the iron claw at number two.
Speaker 4: Carol Line, she's a queen and talking and it was a song.
Speaker 3: She's getting really not afraid to face the episode or soul.
Speaker 8: Just let it flow.
Speaker 4: No one can do it quiet, car Line. It's time for Caroline.
Speaker 13: Hey, y'all, it's Caroline Hobby from Get Real with Carolyn Hobby. And here is a tlip from this week's episode. Okay, so tell me about your first heart break that really sent you into it all.
Speaker 4: So I was dating this girl through high school.
Speaker 7: Oh like long time, because you're not that old.
Speaker 13: You're only six, lived a lot of life to be on only twenty a half.
Speaker 4: I feel like I'm ninety two.
Speaker 7: Yes, I was going to say that, but I didn't want to say that.
Speaker 4: You know, so I was dating this girl through high school.
Speaker 7: And see all, this is your first love.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, first love like went uh like we went up together pretty much. Yeah, like I had known her or had known her since I was probably ten twelve years old.
Speaker 13: Oh my gosh of love is her?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 7: So this is a big, big, no wonder. This shook you to your core. I mean, this is earth shattering enough.
Speaker 4: To write a song about it and start a hold music creak, which is a.
Speaker 13: Wild you got it out of you, though, you got to process somehow.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm such like a well sorry, I'll tell you the rest story. I'll explain it to you. But basically broke up like right and left college. Yeah. I was two weeks away from proposing. Oh no, I had to ring, had to go take it back.
Speaker 13: Did you talk to your parents and stuff? Yeah, and they gave you the blessing. They didn't have it, no warning that we're going to get a break up.
Speaker 4: Here, not really. I mean I feel like I might have been trying to save it with a ring with a ring, which is not a good thing. I didn't know what I was doing.
Speaker 13: You know what I realized not forty is you can't really save anything that doesn't want to be saved.
Speaker 4: No, that's a that's a great freaking quote right there.
Speaker 7: So there you go. That's my contribution for the day.
Speaker 4: Exactly.
Speaker 13: So you think you can when you're young, especially because you're so in love, because it's all you've ever known, without a doubt, So you got to save it because you can't lose it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, and you you want to save it, but at the same time, like it s Yeah, it was the best thing that ever happened to me because now I have an amazing fiance. Now we're getting married, and.
Speaker 13: I've seen your love life. It looks really good. It looks like you're thriving on social media. Your love looks life looks thriving.
Speaker 4: Oh we really are, Gilla. She is the best person I've ever met.
Speaker 7: That's amazing.
Speaker 13: I know it all works out, okay, but so how did the first girl break up with you like you're about to propose in two weeks?
Speaker 7: How did the breakup happen?
Speaker 4: So she was in or she was in college and Charlotte. I went to drive over there to kind of talk to her, and I thought we were going to hang out, and she got in the truck and she was like, we don't think this is over. And at the time, it'd like wrecked my world because I didn't know anything else. I thought I was doing everything right because I was at this point where like my family had, like they were married at nineteen, so I was like I was following in footsteps. I didn't know what I was doing. So I basically just kind of went home and picked up my guitar and just had to get some things off my chest. And that's when I wrote Giving You Up.
Speaker 7: And that happened like right after she broke up with you. Yeah, you're as you're vibrating.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 5: I'm so sorry.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to ignore this best that I ca.
Speaker 7: Karen, listen, his is paging of everyone. It's probably his beautiful It probably.
Speaker 13: She wanted to remind you that she just wanted to give you a little high. Okay, So immediately after you got dumped, you went home and wrote a song about it, and.
Speaker 7: It poured out.
Speaker 4: It was probably a week later after I had kind of processed everything and had you been.
Speaker 13: Performing and writing songs before then. Or is this your big moment.
Speaker 4: I hadn't been writing really. I had wrote like a couple of songs that were terrible and didn't Yeah, I didn't know how to craft a song about it at that point. I didn't even know that I had crafted a song with giving you Up. It was more just like words on a page for me.
Speaker 7: You were like flowing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that whole second verse is like a train of fault.
Speaker 7: It's like you're just like getting your feelings out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, pretty much the best stuff though.
Speaker 7: I know that's why people connect with you.
Speaker 4: I agree, and I think I think it's hard for some people to be like vulnerable wh they're writing songs.
Speaker 7: But I just you don't even know any different.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I didn't know any different. But I love like getting that deep in songwriting and like really going down the rabbit hole that.
Speaker 7: Why do you love that? What does that do for you?
Speaker 4: I think it's kind of therapy for me.
Speaker 7: That's your therapy.
Speaker 4: I think so. Yeah, that and fishing. But I would say writing songs is something that nobody can take away from me. I can write it and nobody ever has to see it, but I can get it out without having to go talk to a therapist.
Speaker 7: You know, yeah, yes, it does it. So how does that feel?
Speaker 13: So you have your therapy moment, you write this big song about your ex and now everyone's singing it back to you. What does that do to the process of this broken heart? So tell me the transition of the broken heart. Like your she breaks up with you in your Boss Propose. That's really as bad as it can get when you're nineteen, when you're in love, and then you write this song to free yourself of this pain, and somehow it goes viral, right, so you have gone viral?
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, I guess, but it was almost like the early days of viral.
Speaker 7: Yeah, did you go viral on TikTok?
Speaker 4: TikTok wasn't even around yet.
Speaker 2: Oh your preteict I was Instagram.
Speaker 7: Your Instagram viral. Oh my gosh, your instagraviral. You've never met one of the Instagram viral ones before.
Speaker 1: Hey, thanks for listening. If you like any of those clips, go check out the full podcast. We'd really appreciate that. Happy Father, Ted, all the dads out there, have a great Sunday.
Speaker 2: Goodbye, everybody,