Speaker 1: Bloomberg Tech is live from the heart of Silicon Valley with Ed Ludlow in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Tech coming up from chips to servers to software. AI spending is rippling across the tech stack. What earnings from Broadcom, Snowflake and HPE tell us about the strength of the AI boom? We'll discuss with the CEOs of Snowflake and HPE later this hour. Plus, NVIDIA has agreed to acquire Hugging Face in a transaction valued about $ 13 billion. We speak with Hugging Face co-founder... Thomas Wolfe about the deal and self-driving tech startup Wave reaches a deal with Uber to offer robo taxis in London with a human in the driver's seat. Wave CEO later this hour. This is what technology stocks are doing high on the Nasdaq 100 modestly six tenths of one percent. It is earnings from software to chips to other parts of the infrastructure stack that we're focused on. In Snowflake's case, this is a blowout. The stock is on track for its best day since May and trading at a 2021 high. AI is translating into faster growth. The revenue outlook up to $ 6 billion for the year. HPE, strong AI server demand, but not as strong as Dell. And there wasn't the read-through from that name. We're going to speak to the CEOs of Snowflake and HPE later in the hour. Then there's Broadcom. Huge AI chip growth ahead. Doubling in fiscal 27. Doubling again in fiscal 28. but not huge enough for this market. And that's where I want to start today's show. Let's get more with Bloomberg's Dina Bass. Broadcom is a custom silicon story, right? And they posted some big numbers in terms of what's going to come, but it just wasn't enough for this market. It was a high bar.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 4: First of all, their forecast for the current quarter, their fiscal fourth, was pretty lackluster in terms of both regular sales and AI chip sales. And so it That came out initially right after the bell and the stock headed downward. Then we got into the call and CEO Hock Tan gave the forecast that you just repeated about AI chip growth for fiscal 27 and 28 doubling each year, which You know, again, seemed to at the time, please, investors more. The stock started coming back. But this morning it's back down again. And, you know, there are some concerns. One, in light of NVIDIA's blowout quarter last week that neither the Q4 numbers nor perhaps the forecaster may be good enough compared to that. Two, some of this was priced into the stock already. There's also concern being raised about where that AI chip growth is coming from. You know, Tan basically said that most of it is coming from Anthropic and OpenAI, who are set to become the company's number one and number two customers in 27 and 28, respectively. So there's some concern about those two as the customers.
Speaker 2: The stock's down 6% right now, pretty much on track for its biggest drop since the first week of June. $ 115 billion in fiscal 27 on AI chips, $ 230 billion in fiscal 28. Those are big numbers, but like NVIDIA is doing now $ 100 billion of revenue overall in a quarter. Is there any sense that this custom chip game is chipping away at NVIDIA's lead in that market, that they're gaining market share on Broadcom's side?
Speaker 4: It does seem to be chipping away at pieces of it. We've had a lot of discussion from OpenAI over the last couple of weeks about the ways in which they are going to use the custom chip that they're building with Broadcom. But also at the same time, OpenAI will talk about how much NVIDIA they're using. So there is that. The other issue for Broadcom is that even in the custom chip market, they're facing greater competition. Google TPU had been their largest customer, or it still is, but is set to be replaced by Anthropic. And Google just signed a deal with Broadcom's competitor, Marvell. Also more competition for Broadcom for MediaTek. Both of those companies are backed by NVIDIA.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg's Dean Abbas, thank you very much indeed. Stay with Bloomberg. We're going to break down the other earnings. We're going to speak with the Snowflake CEO, Sridhar Ramaswamy, and the HPE CEO, Antonio Neri, later this hour. By the way, when we came to air, there were some headlines on the Bloomberg terminal about chatbot outages. Curiously, the headlines all hit at the same time. DownDetector is saying that users are reporting issues with open AI platforms and SpaceX AI is saying that Grok is experiencing issues and is investigating the outage. And Anthropic is saying all within the same time span, it's investigating Claude errors and working on a fix. Those all hit the Bloomberg terminal literally at the same time before the show started. We're trying to work out what's going on. with all of the chatbots around the world. Let's get back to the AI story. Our next guest says we're seeing strong evidence of AI adoption and broadening from hardware to select software at the infrastructure layer. That's clear evidence of it as AI becoming increasingly integrated into business models. Alliance Bernstein, Somatic Innovation Equities, Chief Investment Officer Lei Chu is back with us on Bloomberg Tech. The common theme across all of those earnings we outlined, Lei, is that AI demand seems very strong. Is that what you see?
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 6: In fact, we continue to see AI solidly moving into the adoption phase. And at this moment, when you look across the board, the general trend actually is demand is outstripping supply. So when you see companies actually from the commentary versus the numbers, the common theme what we are seeing is that Demand is so strong that supply simply cannot keep up. And that's not just for this year, but it's for multiple years to come, whether it's at the chip level or other parts of the infrastructure as well.
Speaker 2: I want to go back to NVIDIA last week just as an illustrative example, because they said that they would have top line growth of 70 percent in the next fiscal year. But that was a forecast modeled on supply, their ability to supply, not growth modeled on demand. I found that math very interesting. How did you interpret it?
Speaker 6: Yes, and then so this is actually we're at a very interesting moment and then that moment where you're seeing some volatility in the market as well. The market by and large, we often, generally speaking, we reward bid and raises and we want to see estimate revision, particularly in technology sector and fast growing sectors. But currently, we're in this really interesting dynamic where the demand is so strong, but we simply do not have enough supply to support that. So we're in this interesting transition phase where for the near term, you don't see as much estimate revision, even though the demand outlook is extremely strong. But that just means we just have to look at everything in the context of valuation as well, and then in the context of horizon. You know, when we think about long term durability of growth and profitability and combine that with a reasonable valuation. And that's when you find the best performing stocks. And that's what we are really focused on.
Speaker 2: We started the conversation with your writing about how this is broadening out.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 2: Basically from chips to other layers of the stack. How do changes in portfolios reflect that right now?
Speaker 6: I think we are in the adoption phase. So when you're in the adoption phase and then you look back, we started simply at the physical infrastructure layer. But as we move to adoption phase, and you've already seen it, we went from the broadening out, even at the infrastructure layer, we have gone from simply GPU to TPU to CPU to the networking layer. But now we're in the phase where you're also seeing as enterprise and consumers starting to use more AI, you will see opportunities at the infrastructure layer, at the software layer. at the cybersecurity layer and many other areas as well. And actually, I also think we're starting to see evidence of AI being adopted in some of the industries. So if you look so far, what we have seen is Some industries, such as infotech, financials, or healthcare, these are historically some of the fastest adopters of new technology. And we do believe that AI is once-in-a-lifetime transformative technology. Whoever uses it to their advantage will be able to increase their profit pool, accelerate their growth. And we're actually seeing early evidence of that. So you see the portfolio naturally transition following along this type of transformation and along the curve of adoption.
Speaker 2: Alliance Bernstein, Sphematic Innovation Equity, CAI, Laichu, back on the show. Thank you very much indeed. Coming up, NVIDIA is going to acquire Hugging Face in a transaction valued at about $ 13 billion. We're going to speak with Hugging Face's co-founder, Thomas Wolff, about the deal. This is Bloomberg Tech. NVIDIA has agreed to acquire Hugging Face in a transaction valued at about $ 13 billion, confirming earlier Bloomberg reports. Here to discuss is Hugging Face co-founder Thomas Wolff, back on Bloomberg Tech. There's a piece of this that's really interesting, that Hugging Face continues to be Hugging Face, right Thomas? Owned by NVIDIA, but is an open platform. Could we start with the mechanics of that? How Hugging Face is going to run under the proposal that you and Clem and the others agreed? Do you and Clem stay with Hugging Face and the specifics of how you're going to structure this?
Speaker 7: Yeah, of course.
Speaker 8: So, I mean, the first thing to say is we are staying indeed, like all the three co-founders are staying. You know, we're doubling down with six years at least retention at Hugging Face and the idea is all the team is going to join. And the goal is really, as Jensen said it in his tweet and interview this morning, and as you can read it on the blog post as well, is to keep an open, independent, compute agnostic platform and infrastructure for Hugging Face. So practically for our user, this is going to change. really very little. The main difference is we'll have the backing, this power of NVIDIA to be able to double down and to accelerate our work.
Speaker 2: What is it that Hugging Face is going to be able to do now, Thomas, like either scaling or in the speed of movement that you just wouldn't have otherwise been able to do independently?
Speaker 8: I think we've been extremely efficient along our journey. We've been able to, we've raised a very minimal amount if you compare to any AI company nowadays. We've raised less than half a billion dollars. I think we've been able to achieve amazing results with that. We scaled to 3 million models on the hub, like 18 million users. We have a We have 200,000 companies using us. And I think the idea is now what we realized this year was that, on the one hand, open source was having a huge moment, like open source was really on the rise. And also, when we were attacked, you remember earlier this summer, we realized that open source was actually critical for safety and critical for many aspects. Happy to dive into that from safety to company being able to do research to technology. basically a company be able to own their data. And we thought, okay, we have a few choice here. Either we raise more money and we double down or we find someone who share our value, share our mission very deeply and we partner with them. We were very lucky that Jensen was active receptive to this discussion.
Speaker 2: So it sounds like, you know, Hugging Face looked at a strategy for the future and approached NVIDIA or Jensen and NVIDIA approached Hugging Face?
Speaker 7: Yeah, we approached him. Very open discussion. I think everything was on the table.
Speaker 8: We often have, you know, this offer to invest, to basically raise more money. And the discussion was, OK, where should we go? And at some point we were, you know, we're so aligned. There is so many things we can do here that let's go all the way.
Speaker 2: What was interesting, as outlined by Jensen in his various communications, like, for example, a blog post on LinkedIn, is that the Hugging Face community will still have the same choices, right? Including the cloud platform backing, the inference platform. In other words, there is no mandatory requirement to use NVIDIA Compute. Was that something that you guys on your side insisted on, or what's the backstory to that?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, we'll talk about that.
Speaker 8: But the idea really here is Jensen believed like us in the power of community, the power of collaboration. You know, he wrote this great letter about open source model. He thinks really widely. We have this same, you know, wide scope of thinking. We think there is a huge collaboration that we think actually open source models have to be built through collaboration that transcends normal competition. So here also there is a very big alignment in how we think about these problems. Now the exact specifics will be defined very soon.
Speaker 2: This is a slight tangent or an aside, but last week you were on the show with me and we were talking about your robotics business. How does the robotics business transfer with NVIDIA? Because you had massive demand for Microdot quite quickly. NVIDIA's got massive scale. They are a hardware company as well. Explain the opportunity there.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think you're also the same, you know, you've seen Jensen on stage with some ducks, you know, there was this Disney, not really ducks, but what they were called BDX robot last year, GT. We know Jensen also love robotics. We love robotics as well. We see here also it's very, you know, it's something that we can keep developing very similarly to how we've been building it at Hugging Face. I think the surprising news for us was that this robotic release almost eclipsed or even, you know, was even more successful than some rumors about.
Speaker 7: The join, the acquisition.
Speaker 8: And so it's, I think, a good indication of, you know, how we'll be able to manage these different things going on forward in the future.
Speaker 2: Thomas, this is a deal, right? $ 13 billion, $ 1 billion of which is tied to employee retention through stock. How did this discussion go around regulation, antitrust? How do you think that your competitors, NVIDIA's competitors, will view this deal? And what level of confidence or concern is there on this passing through the regulatory process with ease?
Speaker 8: Yeah, all of that is a bit early to tell your answer, right? We announced this just today, Ed. I think it's a process we'll see. We're quite confident. We think, you know, there is a really nice path where basically Hugging Face continues to operate as this independent, open platform that's been in the past. We think this is a very good direction.
Speaker 7: It makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 8: Now, you know, I'm not yet to be to be answering really like deep regulation questions right now.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I appreciate that. Very quickly, what do Hugging Face staff feel about this? What's the response internally then?
Speaker 8: I mean, ecstatic, you know, you maybe saw the picture we shared on Twitter, you know, Jensen joined our old hands. For a lot of the team members, it was kind of a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, basically, to talk with Jensen. I think the whole team is really very excited about this new direction.
Speaker 7: Everyone is ready to.
Speaker 8: Go 10 years again, like building to the next step of open-source models. We think this is a great chance for the whole open-source model ecosystem, to be honest.
Speaker 7: We think it's kind of incredible.
Speaker 2: Thomas Wolfe of Hugging Face, back on the show a week later after the confirmation that NVIDIA has acquired Hugging Face for about $ 13 million. Thank you so much. Coming up, we're going to go to London. London riders are about to get robo-taxi access through the UK capital.
Speaker 7: I'm going to talk to the CEO of Wave.
Speaker 2: About a deal with Uber that's making that possible. This is Bloomberg Tech. Self-driving technology startup Wave has reached a deal with Uber to offer robotaxi rides in London with a safety driver. It's the latest move in the global race to commercialize autonomous ride hailing. Wave CEO Alex Kendall is back with us on Bloomberg Tech. You know, Alex, in covering this industry, I know that this is a source of frustration. But the first question is always, what's the path for the safety driver coming out of the vehicle? Take that and explain the London case study to us.
Speaker 3: Hi, Ed. Well, firstly, as you know, London is an incredibly difficult place to drive. It's a 2,000-year-old city. It's full of narrow roads, frequent pedestrians and cyclists. And so I'm delighted that we've been able to bring our technology here. We've been learning to drive here for a decade, and it's, I think, one of the hardest places in the world to learn to drive. But we're starting with a supervised service this week with safety operators. And the path to launch a driverless service is really three things. The first one is to move to a scalable vehicle platform. Our business model works with automakers so that they build the robot taxis, no retrofits or built-in mass production hardware. Second, of course, validating the safety metrics we need for driverless operation. And third, We've got a permit today for supervised operations, and we're working with regulators towards a driverless permit. So those three things, which we're working on very quickly over here in London.
Speaker 2: At the same time, you know, you have multiple projects in parallel, right? There is the driverless platform of Nissan, for example, where there's a future in London, but other cities come into play in the R & D of that.
Speaker 7: Explain that relationship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right. We've... We've looked to build a business where we want to provide intelligence across anyone who wants to build intelligent machines. And uniquely, we've got an AI that can scale from consumer vehicles to robo-taxis. So we are deploying our AI in consumer vehicles with a number of leading automakers like Nissan and Stellantis. And of course, as of today, starting robo-taxi services today in London. And by the end of the year, we'll be scaling this to Tokyo. And we've agreed with Uber to take it to 10 cities beyond that as well.
Speaker 2: It's amazing. Alex, it's been almost 10 years since I left London and moved to SF. What's your relationship like with that city, with the mayor? But also, you know, under a new government with Andy Burnham, is there a pathway for sort of comprehensive framework regulation for your industry in the UK and other UK cities?
Speaker 3: One thing people might not realize is that earlier this year, the UN published a technical regulation that allows for a global framework for high levels of autonomy and consumer vehicles and robot taxis. And many countries around the world, UK, Europe, Japan, all sign up to these regulations. And they also provide a basis for in the US as well. So this is fantastic. And then the UK itself has been adopting these. There was an act passed in 2024, and we've been working with Transport for London and government here to bring this into fruition. So we're pretty happy with how this is growing. And London is one of Uber's five largest markets by revenue. So it's a really important market to bring autonomy into. I think Londoners are going to love this service. And what we've got is a safe and responsible plan to bring this technology, introduce it to Londoners and people through the UK with regulators here.
Speaker 2: You know, the Uber relationships, key to underscore, right, it's through the Uber app. You said a moment ago that there's a plan for 10 cities with Uber going forward. Are any of those cities in the United States, Alex?
Speaker 3: We will be bringing it globally, including to the US. We haven't announced any other specific cities yet, but stay tuned. I'll give you a call when we do, Ed.
Speaker 2: Real quick, how are you guys doing on the funding side? There was reports that some Wave staff sold off stock on the Pisces exchange, for example. Is that an employee liquidity thing? Are you out there doing secondaries? What's going on?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're well funded. We've raised almost $ 3 billion of cash. We just did our second employee liquidity round. We've got a great global team. And actually, one of the things I think we're well set up to do is to really continue with our frontier embodied AI science. We've been the first team to build vision language action models and world models for robotics, and now bring this new contrarian approach to the technology to market, as well, of course, continuing to grow in production applications like in consumer vehicles all around the world and for robo-taxi services. So it's full steam ahead. It's been a phenomenal year for our team so far, and this is a pretty proud moment for us.
Speaker 2: Alex, just very quickly, what you just said, world models, remind the audience what Wave's core competence is.
Speaker 3: What we've built is an end-to-end AI driver. So it's a single neural network that's capable of reasoning and making decisions in real time. It can generalize across any vehicle we work with, small, large vehicles all around the world. We're the first company to have driven this technology in over 500 cities, zero shot. So no high-definite maps. It's an AI that's capable of driving any vehicle all the way around the world.
Speaker 2: Alex Kendall, Wave CEO, back on the show. It's great to have you now deployed modestly in London. Coming up, snowflakes earnings, beating analyst estimates, a big move in the stock. We're going to speak to the CEO, Sridhar Ramaswamy. That's next. Halftime here in the city of San Francisco. And this is what markets look like. This is Bloomberg Tech. Welcome back to Bloomberg Tech. The NASDAQ 100, really tech-heavy index, pushing up to session highs, a gain of more than 1% now. A lot of what's happening in the market is Fed speak and what the Fed will or won't do in terms of the outlook for rates. But earnings is also a very big part of this story. Elsewhere, what is happening in the release of different generations of AI model, also massively important. Meta's up 4%. This one was a big news item this morning. It's launched its latest and most powerful AI model to date, with the company's chief AI officer hailing it as, quote, competitive with Anthropix model and, quote, better than OpenAI's GPT 5.6 Sol, particularly when it comes to coding. Bloomberg's Riley Griffin's with us. Yeah, I did a double take at the screen right on the stock move because I was like, is there a direct causal relationship here? But very simply, Meta is out with a powerful model. They're talking it up, and the market seems to believe them. What do we need to know?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Chief AI Officer Alexander Wang and I spoke yesterday, and he's saying this is the biggest performance jump to date, putting it on par with competitors like OpenAI and Anthropic, performance improvement for coding and agentic capabilities. Notably, this is not the highly anticipated model from Meta called Watermelon. Yes, you got that right, Ed.
Speaker 7: It is Watermelon.
Speaker 1: It's still coming. Alex wouldn't speak to when, but that's gonna be the big model release. Some have said towards the end of the year. This is not that, but it's a big improvement.
Speaker 2: Okay, so like the business model for meta is so interesting. With OpenAI, you have ChatGPT. With Anthropic, you have Claude and the coding tool. How does meta charge or get people, everyday people, businesses to use these powerful AI models?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they are charging this as a closed model. That means developers can't just download those building blocks and build upon it. It's going to cost as much as the prior version, MuseSpark 1.2. Developers can access it via its API platform. That's essentially a way to use Meta's services via Meta. This is not the open source kind of technology that Mark Zuckerberg has developed. preached in his most recent manifesto, that 6,500 word document that he put out in which he promoted open source. So that's kind of notable here. They need to show a return on investment for the billions upon billions that they're spending to try to catch up.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg's Riley Griffin on Meta, which is up 4%, more than 4% in the session. Thank you so much. Snowflake reported its second quarter earnings yesterday after the closing bell, beating analyst estimates and raising its full year forecast for product revenue. Shares right now up almost 20% on track for their best day since late May and trading at their highest level since December of 2021. What's going on? Let's speak to Snowflake CEO, Sridhar Ramaswamy. You've had three straight quarters of accelerating product revenue growth. And it seems a strange question, Sridhar. Good morning to you. Welcome to the show. How much of that is AI? Hi, good morning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, indeed.
Speaker 7: This quarter was pretty amazing for us.
Speaker 5: $ 1. 49 billion in product revenue, up 37% year on year. We are doing this while also expanding operating margin by 400 basis points to 15%. About half of the beat, the overperformance came from AI. And what's nice about this moment is that AI is actually driving a nice feedback loop because more customers are bringing data onto Snowflake using our AI products, Cocoa and Cowork, to get things done, which in turn is driving consumption.
Speaker 7: On the platform.
Speaker 5: Which sets up this very nice flywheel of people wanting to do more with Snowflake. And it's an effect that's pretty profound. It also gives us confidence about where we are headed. That's why we raised the full year guidance by 5% to 36% for the year.
Speaker 2: What is Cocoa?
Speaker 5: Cocoa is a coding agent for data. It comes as part of Snowflake. I've used it to write software as well. But what it specializes in is any job that you want to do with Snowflake goes five to ten times faster using Cocoa.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know the answer. I was reading so much because the surprise that jumps out off the page, right, is the momentum. 2,000 accounts added in that quarter. The overall usage is really high in a market that is competitive. There are many coding agents out there. Why do you think that Coco is standing out, Sridhar?
Speaker 5: Because it's the easiest sell for Snowflake as a company. I literally go to our customers and say, if your data team uses Cocoa, you can make things go five to ten times faster.
Speaker 7: And we publish benchmarks on this. We are good at what we do.
Speaker 5: Compared to off-the-shelf models and even harnesses from the foundation labs, Cocoa is just a lot more effective on Snowflake jobs because it understands so much about Snowflake.
Speaker 7: And that's really the magic.
Speaker 5: Plus, we don't have things like per-user subscriptions. And a lot of the other products do. Cocoa is included for.
Speaker 7: Free with Snowflake. It's a consumption model.
Speaker 5: And it just makes this a very, very compelling product for every data team on the planet.
Speaker 2: That business model is interesting. So if you added 2,000 accounts in one quarter, where does that show up or translate into revenue growth?
Speaker 5: First of all, it shows up in AI revenue because people that are using Cocoa consume tokens.
Speaker 7: That's the first starter effect.
Speaker 5: But the bigger effect is that they are doing all kinds of things on Snowflake. They are bringing more data into Snowflake. They are optimizing and debugging their pipelines. They are setting up things like interactive tables that can power dashboards. They're creating agents that go into cowork and can get deployed to business users. It's the second and third order effect of COCO that's most interesting for Snowflake.
Speaker 2: Remaining performance obligations, RPO, came in below at least Wall Street's consensus estimates and expectations. How would you ask the market to interpret that figure, or what kind of emphasis would you put on it?
Speaker 7: I wouldn't put a lot of emphasis on it.
Speaker 5: We are seeing this trend where the bigger renewals are getting pushed.
Speaker 7: Out by a quarter to the latter part of this year.
Speaker 5: We are pretty confident that RPO will increase, especially in Q4, by a lot. Revenue is the leading indicator that drives everything. And as you know, that's very, very healthy.
Speaker 2: We talked about Cocoa in the context of the other coding platforms that are out there. Generally speaking, a lot of the analysts ask about Databricks, right? And Databricks is talking about, you know, it's 80% growth. it's crossing $ 7 billion in ARR. Where are they doing well against you? Where do you feel you're doing well against them?
Speaker 7: It's a big market, first of all.
Speaker 5: Our strength has always been in the context of a cohesive, easy to use, trusted data platform. Their heritage is more that of catering to developers, wide open code bases, sprawl of data, and not as much attention paid to things like governance and disaster recovery. And Snowflake is the place where enterprises have put their most valuable data, the one that they use to run their business, which is what sets us up super well to move upstream. Yes, technology is important, but I have so many meaningful conversations with our customers about how we can transform how their sales teams operate or how we can help them optimize their supply chains. I would say that we are leveraging AI to do the kinds of things that we honestly would not have imagined possible three years ago.
Speaker 7: I'm very happy with where we are headed.
Speaker 5: Snowflake is becoming a lot more than a tech provider that's largely invisible. We are able to drive real outcomes for our customers.
Speaker 2: Sridhar, I like that. AI is clearly driving more usage of Snowflake. So slightly differently, what can a customer do today with their data within Snowflake that they weren't able to do even a year ago?
Speaker 5: Yeah, if you look at customers like United Rentals or Indeed, which is among the world's biggest job sites, Indeed has rolled out COCO and COWORK to their employees in over 60 countries and 28 languages. Ready access to data, ready access to reasoning, Ready access to being able to do anything else that the data team wants to do on top of Snowflake that simply would not have been possible a year or two ago. That represents the frontier of what is possible with AI and data today.
Speaker 2: Snowflake CEO Sridhar Ramaswamy, the stock up 20% on track for its best day since May, highest level since December 2021. Thank you so much. A piece of news that we broke this morning. 137 Ventures' early bets on SpaceX are proving worthy with the 2020-14 vintage fund of SpaceX now worth more than eight times the money that investors originally put into it. That's net of fees and other charges.
Speaker 7: Investors.
Speaker 2: received back or were distributed $ 2. 5 billion worth of the space company shares last quarter by 137. And a source says the venture firm's total assets under management is now over $ 20 billion, which includes investments in Anduril and Cognition. You'll remember 137 was one of the big sort of winners of the SpaceX IPO that we covered on the show at the time. A quick update on what's going on with various AI model outages that we started the show with. OpenAI is now saying it's applied mitigation and is monitoring recovery of its platforms. And Fropic has just said several of its models have recovered after experiencing errors, but the companies continue to work to address disruptions, particularly with its Opus 4.8 and Opus 5 offerings. Grok, the chatbot from Elon Musk's SpaceX AI, said, is also confronting outages. That's according to the company's status page. Coming up, HPE shares are falling despite booming AI demand and a raised outlook. We're going to speak with HPE's CEO, Antonio Neri. This is Bloomberg Tech. HPE shares under a little pressure despite a strong quarter and an even better outlook. Revenue jumped 34% fueled by demand for AI infrastructure, but was still a little short of Wall Street's expectations that were very high. Joining us now is HPE CEO Antonio Neri. Actually, for me, you raised forecasts a lot. What were the reasons behind that? What's changed?
Speaker 9: Well, good morning, Ed, and thanks for having me. First of all, we are incredibly proud of the results we posted. And the results are a reflection of the exceptional demand we see and the excellent execution by our teams, which, you know, if we think about the underlying drivers of that, the strong demand in networking, strong demand in traditional servers, and expanded profitability. But what we are doing is raising the demand on the confidence on that durability which gave us the confidence not only to raise, once again, our guy for 26, but also the guy for 2027 on a bigger base. So for us, it's to continue to stay focused on that. And the stock reaction is day one, but look, it takes some time. for investors to digest it. But we are not worried about that. Generally, it tends to recover very, very quickly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Right now, the stock's down 6%, which would be its biggest drop since late June. But it had been down 12%, which would have been the biggest drop since April 2025. You talked about a specific contract with an unnamed hyperscaler. This is a market where people want the details. So I ask you, Who is that hyperscaler? But what is significant about that arrangement that the market should be excited about it?
Speaker 9: Well, there were two news yesterday that I think the market should be very excited about it. One is the strategic expansion with Oracle, which will allow us to actually build a gigawatt scale infrastructure as Oracle continue to grow their AI footprint. And that will include all our HP Juniper products, meaning scale-out QFX switches and scale-across, which are PTX routers. That demonstrates the level of innovation and time to market with the latest technology. So we're very proud about that. And that's a driver into the future. And even in that business, we have not even considered yet the yet-to-be-released Helio stack, which will include our scale-up switches. On the Cloud and AI, your reference to that multi-billion dollar deal with a hyperscaler, we cannot.
Speaker 7: Share because of you.
Speaker 9: It's a server contract. Yeah, it is a traditional server contract. But interestingly enough, it's going to be used internally. So think about the hyperscaler as an enterprise customer who is going to use our servers to do their own AI inferencing for their own needs. And that's, again, another proof point that we have the technology to support any customer in any use case. So we are excited about both. And that's why it points to durability of the demand, because the other trend that we have seen is huge growth in enterprise on adoption of AI.
Speaker 2: Antonio, I don't know if it makes it any easier for you, but I did ask Jensen Wong about circular financing earlier this week on the show. In the Oracle arrangement, Oracle gets warrants, and so inevitably the questions are raised, is this or is this not circular financing?
Speaker 9: The warrants we are providing actually scale with the amount of infrastructure we're going to build. So as more infrastructure gets deployed, the warrants come with it, which means it strengthens the partnership between the two companies to grow together. And so we both will benefit. It's not the circular financing you're referring to, but it's about incentives on both sides to grow together.
Speaker 2: Let's get away from the numbers and just ask what's the story here with what's happening in AI build-out, right? When NVIDIA had its earnings last week, they gave a growth forecast that was modeled with supply, their ability to supply the market. And the status of demand running ahead of supply is quite well known. What is the situation for HPE? Is it such that you can say, okay, here is what we can comfortably supply or confidently supply to the world, but it would be greater were supply chains improved?
Speaker 9: That is the same story, actually. It is exactly the same framework. So if you think about Q3 results on revenue and the demand, obviously demand significantly outpaced revenues, and that revenue growth was 34% in the quarter. And underneath that, if you think about networking, we grew 10%, but order demand grew 36%, so three and a half times faster. But as you go forward now, You know, look, I have done 35 quarters as a CEO. Normally, we put guides that we want to not only achieve, but beat. And that is the confidence that we factor in our supply chain ability to deliver on that number. So related to Q4, we're going to grow revenue almost $ 2 billion quarter over quarter. And then on the bigger base, we're going to grow 14% to 17% because we have negotiated multi-year agreements with our suppliers that actually brings the capacity that we need to deliver against that number. But the reality is that demand will continue to outpace supply, and that's a good thing because what we're doing with customers and working with them, we're interlocking when the supply becomes available and the timing to deliver that revenue and obviously the technology for them.
Speaker 2: HPE CEO Antonio Neri, thank you so much for your time this morning on the earnings beat. Now coming up, Blue Origin turns to another Jeff Bezos venture for its talent. Really interesting story next. This is Bloomberg Tech. A framework for light touch regulation of AI has been agreed to by the members of the G20 out of a tech and innovation summit held in North Carolina. The so-called Carolina Principles call for nations to apply sector-specific approaches to rulemaking. avoid creating new regulatory bodies for AI governments, and urge closer collaboration between governments and private industry. Here's Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick on the need to embrace the AI build-out.
Speaker 10: Basically, if your community embraces data centers, you're going to have great economics, you'll have more power will be built, and the price of power in your community will go down, and you'll have the economic power of their paying taxes. and they're making your community better. So if your community doesn't embrace a data center, some other community will.
Speaker 2: A quick look at Tesla shares, up more than 7%. That puts them on track for their best day since late June, trading at their highest level since mid-July. Not really clear why. We know there's a big cyber cab event in Texas, 5.45 p.m. Eastern Time, according to some Tesla staff that posted about it on X. We know that we're going to get a closer look at cyber cab. They have a really limited... robo-taxi footprint right now in the city of Austin. Maybe we'll learn more. But for one reason or another, the stock is really soaring this Thursday.
Speaker 7: This is a big one.
Speaker 2: Jeff Bezos' Blue Origin is turning to another one of his companies for talent. Over the last year, dozens of veterans of the Amazon Leo satellite venture have moved to Blue Origin. That's according to their LinkedIn profiles. Bloomberg's Spencer Soper joins us with the story. I mean, in some ways, It's only natural, isn't it, that some alumni, some veterans of one Bezos space-focused enterprise would jump to the other one? Or is it a surprise?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I don't think it.
Speaker 11: Would be a big surprise. I think what it highlights is if you look at the differences between Amazon founder Jeff Bezos and Amazon's current CEO, Andy Jassy, Bezos definitely has a reputation for having a long term vision, an insatiable curiosity and a commitment to projects, to funding projects through their, you know, through their entirety. Whereas Jassy has a reputation as being more of a financial steward. He's going to watch the watch the outflow, watch the investments grow. And he's going to be very mindful, like, when are we getting a return on this? And if it's not showing a return, he's going to cut it. So I think that if you're a space engineer, you're just going to see Bezos as a more stable company. You know, Bezos' Blue Origin is a more stable place to be, whereas Amazon, you're going to feel like, you know, a piece of a disposable appendage.
Speaker 2: The other sort of leadership factor here is Dave Limp, right? So he was the devices chief at Amazon. He's now the CEO of Blue Origin. How wide does this sort of Amazon alumni network reach at Blue?
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean, Amazon casts a long shadow and there's a lot of people and Seattle is still a fairly small town, especially when you get into the field of rocket science. You're talking tens of thousands of people in this Profession nationally. So it's it is fairly small and there's connections. But I really think that Bezos is going to Bezos versus Jassy is going to be a much bigger factor in people calculating their career choices than than than any kind of subordinates further down the right down the management chain.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg Spencer Soper, thank you very much indeed. That does it for this edition of Bloomberg Tech. A few late minute additions, a lot going on. And later today, we're going to speak with OpenAI CEO Sam Altman.
Speaker 3: 3.30 p.m.
Speaker 2: Eastern, 12.30 p.m. Pacific time. Do not miss it. Recap the show on the podcast. You can find it on the terminal as well as online on Apple, Spotify, and iHeart. This is Bloomberg Tech.