Speaker 1: Warning. Today's episode contained spoilers for House of the Dragon, episode four of season three of How's the Dragon Be Worn? Hello, my name is Jason Concepcion and on Meersday Night, and welcome back to etre vision of the podcast where we dive deep into your favorite shows, movies, comicscept pop culture company from my Heart podcast where we're bringing you three episodes a week plus news.
Speaker 2: In today's episode, guys, it is a villain entrance episode like you maybe have never seen.
Speaker 3: I don't know. This is like top tier Game of Thrones.
Speaker 2: You might think at the beginning you're tying up a lot of loose ends, you're just kind of catching up with people. No, this is all about one man and we're gonna meet him and you're gonna understand what this season is really about and what the true conflict that is kind of rearing his head is in a really fun, over the top way with some great performances. Yes, I love this episode, Jason, Let's get into it.
Speaker 1: We open on Tumbleton, a pleasant market town, kind of nondescript village in WESTUS. High Tower Troops Ormond High Tower Troops which invaded the city offscreen last episode, are now hardening the city against the potential attack from the nearest troops. They're going door to door, they're taking people's supplies, whatever they need. Lord and Lady Footley, who are the governors, the rulers of this city. They protest to Ormond High Tower about all of this. You know, you're taking over our house. We don't have anything to do with this war. We are not warlike people. We're just doing We trade and we have market days, and this is all very foreign to us. What are you doing. Ormond is like, well, you you went for Rania, the usurper queen, and therefore this is what you get. And Lady Footley is like, well, Lady Footley, I think rightly points out that, well, you know, she is the rightful ruler. Ormond then shows off his dick and says listen, literally like throws his dick on the table. He's yeah, we're gonna stay here, but we're going to make sure. I will make sure personally that our men stay on their best behavior. And this is our first hint that I think Ormond is a different you mentioned it. It's a great villain entrance, but he's a kind of he's a different sort of villain and that he's got he's got a lot of taste. He considers himself a refined gentleman, and as we will see over the course of this episode, he also has like an almost the modern politicians understanding of public relations of doing something because the people would like Jason, but you don't necessarily need to follow all the way through with it that you show a public face and then you show a private face. I am is a so very subtle thing.
Speaker 2: Glad that you pointed this out, because I think that the most incredible smart thing they have done with Ormond this episode and with where we find Ranera. Something that Raniera showed in her reaction to call this last week, and I have to say, I'm so glad how many people were on Rehnera's side.
Speaker 3: A lot more people were more generous to her. They were like, call us calm down.
Speaker 2: You didn't want to legitimize them till today, and now you're asking Venera to like you have a bit of patience, right, That's quite a nice point.
Speaker 3: I like the people brought that up.
Speaker 2: It's a it's very tough, but I to thing, let's be real when it comes to pr when it comes to marketing. When it comes to being the queen that people want to support, She's not good at that. She's not good at me those decisions in the moment that will make people like her. She does not have the political mindset. She does not have the crisis pr mindset. Ormond High Tower is a crisis pr man, and I fucking love that you clock that, Like there is a modernity and a contemporary eye to the way that he understands how he has to be seen. And that is also really fun as essentially like a red herring for the audience, because he will make choices that we get into as the episode goes on that makes you think he is a righteous man, that he at least has some kind of moral compass, but as you will learn, it's all about playing to what the audience that he is kind of in front of needs, and it is so fucking cool.
Speaker 3: And then when you really.
Speaker 2: Get to see who he is by the end of this episode, you feel like you're getting to see a top tier Game of Thrones antagonist being introduced, which is such a fun feeling because so many of the characters who are antagonists in the show, the ones we've known from the beginning, right, It's rare to get a new outside who has agendas and missions and wishes all of his own that we have no idea about.
Speaker 1: We meet the real Darron. He's the brown hair. He seems like a very sweet guy. A raven from storms End arrives and Ormond learns that at least one other great house, the Barrathians of storms End. Boris Barrathian is staying on the sidelines for now because it's, you know, unclear who's winning, so why get involved. No word from heron Hall and Aimond. Of course they need Vagar or the town really can't be defended because they have no times of their own. Rania, at a small council meeting, asks.
Speaker 2: The world's smallest council, by the way, like it's the mini council meeting.
Speaker 1: Mini council. She's asking her council, like, why why does Ormond want Tumbleton? Is that there's nothing to it. It's not strategically important, it's not particularly defendable, you know, what's what's the deal? And they she figures out kind of on her own that because Tumbleton went for her in this civil war, Ormond is essentially daring her to rain fire on her own supporters, thus turning her supporters against her and at least and surely making other cities, villages, towns, noble people, noble families wary of joining up if this is what they would get for supporting Rania is just her dragons just burning them down. She also other decisions made at this small council are or while gets to stay on, he's done a good job, and what did he do?
Speaker 2: Because he has a great pitch for that is essentially why, right, like what should you do? So that Ormond's pr to make her look like a crazy tagarian who would burn her own supports alwayests like something else, and that's kind of when she knows, Wait, this guy might actually have some good ideas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's like, well, why don't you just, you know, send the army over there and then you kind of discriminately send the army in. They'd fight house to house, but you're not just like burning everybody, And she sounds like a good idea. After all, the Riverman host that was that Damon had been a part of, but now it's you know, Oscar Tully and the winter Wolves is still rampaging around in the Riverlands just send them over to Tumbleton and have to take care of it. Meanwhile, Missaria the white Worm, who is a short term thinker period, dude.
Speaker 2: I mean, I love her, but I feel like she is not coming up with enough. You've got to diversify, babe. You got to You gotta make it seem like you don't only have one short time agenda. You gotta be thinking in the long term. And then you slyly got to be like give them some food. You can't just be like give the poor people food all the time.
Speaker 1: So the economic you know, situation is still very dire in the Capitol. There is no gold, food supplies are running low, and the streets are roiling, and verniers like, what can we do? What can we do? We need money, we need food, what can we do? And Misaria comes up with a plan to name a master of coin, who can take who can take the blame? This is like they could just pin the economic collapse on this person. And it's like literally the most short term thinking thing ever, Like it's it's a funny I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today type situation Like this does not do anything.
Speaker 2: Guy, literally just told me said that to me today bringing up that phrasing.
Speaker 3: It's so so true, Jason.
Speaker 2: And the other funny thing about it as well, is I love that Raniera's instant thing is like Torren.
Speaker 3: Mandally, She's like, Yeah, I'd love to be.
Speaker 1: Yes thereat dinner guy. He's very interesting, he seemed very confident. Let's pin it on him. Choice to Raniera's discredit, she agrees to this plan. Uh and and and pitches Torn Mandally as the guy and so sorry and tells Masaria like, I need you to check on him, make sure he's not one's dirty greens, and then let's pin this whole fucking disaster on him.
Speaker 2: I just gotta say, Jason, what was that thing if you fly on the wall, if you're there right?
Speaker 3: We were as we watched it on the TV show, Like, in what world was there about that interaction at all?
Speaker 2: Anything that made you feel like you should put that man in charge or even let him into your space.
Speaker 3: He basically said, I fucking clocked you. I clocked your plan.
Speaker 2: I think it's a smart plan, and I just I think that putting him in charge of anything and giving him any kind of access is a big mistake. There was nothing in that interaction that would have made me make this choice. Do you think Raniera saw something that wasn't there or you think she's just so overwhelmed that she's making short term choices based on massari As.
Speaker 1: I think it's a yeah, I think it's a short term choice. I think it's a name. I think it's a person who has come to her attention recently. I think there's so many things happening right now and so many different forces buffeting her that it's just legitimately recency bias. Like here's this guy, I talked to him. You know, now you could make an you can make an argument that, okay, the Manderly is one of the wealthiest, if not the wealthiest family in the North. Maybe, you know, like as part of the deal, like you tap your wealth the way that Taiwan Lanister's wealth. That's what I was going to say, Yes, as a bank, as a lender of last resort. But it doesn't seem like that that's part of the plan either. It's just very very poor overall decision making, sadly from Raniera, who is the is the rightful ruler. She then goes to see Allison and is like, what do you know about Ormond? Alison doesn't know that much. She's like, he's an arrogant guy. He's like Phoebe waller Bridge. You know, he thinks he's a scholar. He thinks he's a musician. He thinks he's like a gentleman, and he's very a feat and you know, he loves the histories. He's been good towards Darren, she is told, and Alison, you know, says like I wanted Darren sent away so that he would be raised as a high tower, not as a target AI, and that's why he went there.
Speaker 2: And guess what, bitch, you got your wish And you're an idiot. You're a fucking idiot, Allison, and I love you, but you're a fucking idiot to wish for that. Your fucking look what you've done.
Speaker 1: She further tells Ranera that the thing that we've noticed early, which is that Ormond has a very very sensitive news. He's a sniffy guy and he hates the stink. Okay, skink.
Speaker 2: I know I was just complaining about her, but I did love this moment because once again you see at the end that Allison's like fuck like I didn't give her anything, Like I need her to know that I am still more marginally on her side.
Speaker 3: And obviously I love that foreshadowing because.
Speaker 2: We do see Ormond again and again going back to those sense and those little kind of mixes that he's making. So it'll be I would love to see the way that Rania is gonna be able to use This is essentially like a weakness of his because it's.
Speaker 3: Not really something that we've seen utilized.
Speaker 2: I mean scent in general, especially in a show like Game of Thrones or the Westreist universe House of the Dragon, where it's kind of so the reality would be so disgusting. You often don't think about scent. The only thing I can really think about is the music movie like Perfume based on the book.
Speaker 3: You know, I think.
Speaker 2: Something like that, You really think about it, But in movies and TV shows aside from like a smell of vision, and we don't often consider it. So I'm very excited to see him being tormented by the stenches of kings Landing, and you know which, there's many stenches in in in westerns Jason.
Speaker 1: It's a stenchy place.
Speaker 2: St.
Speaker 1: Corlis is leaving the city. He says he's going to go pursue the triarchy raators who are still kind of running around on the landscape. Yeah, he doesn't want to stick around here after you got turned down, and he'd rather just kill triarchy guys as his form of therapy. And he tells Alan, why don't you deal with the queen and if she needs me, No, she needs anything from House Valarion. You can be the representative of our family. It's great. Laris and Eggon continue to sneak around. They find the corpse of Sunfire is very very sad. Eggon is heartbroken at the sight of his dead dragon. There's a guy they're charging like a penny to touch the dragon. He is very suspicious of these guys, and Laris and Eggon eventually leave, but not after Eggon insists that the dragon is alive. Okay, the dragon certainly looks very very dead.
Speaker 2: And very rotting and like sort of like, I mean, it looks okay. So, Jason, I want to ask you about this because we've kind of talked about what it means and how much of omen the dragons are seen as, both negatively and positively. What would it do for the political kind of status of the small folk to see.
Speaker 3: A dead dragon, like, is that like a game changer? Does it?
Speaker 2: Does it insinuate that the faith is rising and the Tagarians are falling?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: How does it look that that is just in the middle of a forest kind of and rotting?
Speaker 1: It looks bad, right, I mean dragons have been killed in battle before.
Speaker 3: M hmm.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean it's not good now. The good news for Rania and the Targetians on both sides is that there are still plenty of dragons. But yeah, it is among the many forces that are kind of eroding the idea of Targarian exceptionalism. A dead, rotting dragon in the woods is like a pretty plunge in analogous symbol of that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I also want to.
Speaker 2: Say as well, I was screaming at the TV in this moment because this was fucking Eggon's fault. So go fuck yourself and your little drunk driving ass ride. That's the reason your fucking dragon is dead, Like you are the cause of this, So don't you be sounding there crying about it Like it made me feel very angry, like this is your fault, so you're bad dragon Rider.
Speaker 3: It was on so Christ and Cole speaking of bad guys.
Speaker 1: And GWayne and their very meager army come to heron hall. It is you know, Aaron continues to be a mess. Alice is there, she says, you know, all the Lord Strong and his whole family are dead and everybody's dead, and I'm here. I'm kind of like a steward, sort of like the cook, the property manager, so to speak. Cole and GWayne of course want to know where Amond is, and She's like, he's gone. Sorry, oh he's he's gone. And by the way, have you heard Naran's taking King's landing, which is shocking to Cole and crew.
Speaker 3: Dude, Cole's so upset about it. I love this. I have to say. I had never dreamed in a million years that.
Speaker 2: I would get to see Kristin Cole get taken down by Alice Rivers, which is now what I hope and dream for more than anything. Jason, Is this book accurate that they come because we don't know very much about what happened with Alice and Aimond? But is it book accurate that they come to Harron Hall and Alice is there and Aimond does not?
Speaker 3: Or is this new.
Speaker 1: It's it's accurate ish in the book, Kristen and Amond retake your bloodlessly the same way. They just kind of walk in. But when they learn that the Lanister host was defeated at the at the Fish and Fish Feed Fish Feed, then uh plans change, and you know, Kristen has to kind of lead a kind of desperate, uh Southerly retreat. So it's it's different. It's he does go there, but it's but in a different way.
Speaker 2: I'm very interested in what this means and what we could see because I feel like this kind of notion of Alice wanting to take Haaren Hall and then imagining how pissed off she would be after she just saved Amon so she could get Haaren Hall. And now they're saying, well, if you kill Aimond, you get Haren Hall to other people.
Speaker 3: I feel like we could really.
Speaker 2: Have some fun Alice moments here with Crispy, because he's also like so fucked up by women.
Speaker 3: Also, why do they just believe her that Amon's gone? That's a big thing.
Speaker 2: Do you think that's how witchy magic Like she's kind of glamoring them a bit, because if I would be suching, I would be such in the Costle for my camp.
Speaker 1: It could be that, well, I'm sure that they are going to search, like I'm sure that his men are looking all around at the same time this she does bring this news of Rania's victory, and that's very, very shocking, and that would change their priorities, you know, pretty drastically, because now you're you're against the dragons. You don't know where Vegar is, you have no you have no cover from above. And in fact, Kristin Cole because of this, does change his he's fighting tactics. Like after this, Gawayne suggests, let's go, why don't we send word to Tumbleton. Yeah, Ormond is there, join with him. Then we have like a bigger army and Cole is like, no, you're fucking soft. You want to sleep in a feather bed. I'm like, I'm used to sleeping on outside and being a warrior and slogging through the mud. I am gonna fight on as long as Vernia is on the throne. And so instead of marching around in the daylight information, let's to protect ourselves from the dragons, Let's become like a gorilla insurgency. We will strike out of the woods and then melt away. We'll do raids, we'll do quick attacks on supply lines, and we will avoid these kind of big set piece battles where one army is defeated another one is victorious. Hid it run?
Speaker 2: This shit cracks me up so much because what he's really freaking out about is he backed the wrong horse once again.
Speaker 3: Well he went to at that bro. He doesn't think that.
Speaker 2: But this man is just like he just realized his ex girlfriend is now the king, his ex girlfriend that he betrayed with her best friend. Like he's fucked and that's why he came up with this platte because Verniera's gona fucking kill him if he's still around, Like he's just scared, and I love it.
Speaker 1: I think I don't think he's I think he is.
Speaker 2: He says there's no home left for me, like Wavner is on the throat. True many reasons he's on a suician.
Speaker 1: I don't think he's afraid. Really, I think he's very very angry, and I think that he has been. I think he thinks to himself that he's kind of been used by these more powerful figures, which I don't think is which I think is correct, and I think he he considers himself to have agency as a warrior. That's what he's good at, that's what he knows how to do, and so therefore he's going to continue doing that because that's how he's able to rule his own life and make decisions and that that can continue to have an impact. And so I think that's why he's doing He's also like just very very sad and depressed.
Speaker 3: He is such a sad boy.
Speaker 1: And I love that Rania is looking at her ads models of old Valeria. Alan comes to see her and basically tells her, you know, Corliss is leaving. He's gonna work on the triarchy issue, and you know you should just let him go. Eggan and Laris come within sight of Rook's rest and it's just like a bad it's a bad scene there. The people are struggling, like.
Speaker 2: Digging through dead bodies, like fighting over dead bodies and stuff.
Speaker 3: It's it's nasty times.
Speaker 1: Melisse, the dead dragon of Rainy's Corliss's wife is just still draped over the walls because how do you move it. Some kind of local tough guys come and big time Laris and egg On. One of their leaders named Janos and Laris has to pay them off to allow them to stay, and then they have to earn their keep with egg On. Now getting a job is like piss you know, it's like deputy piss bucket boy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's piss bucket boy Junior. He's not happy about it. Also, could I say something about Laris. Yeah, he's not great on the road. He's glowing up every time we see him. He's actually looking bad. Then he used to look when he was in King's Landing. So I feel like he's just made for this life.
Speaker 1: Well, especially here in Rooks Rest, where it's like, well I'm I'm a cripple, so I can't be a pisbucket boy. I've just got to sit down and watch everything happen. Sorry about that. Yeah, my hallaciously and severely injured and burned friend is going to have to be the pissbucket guy because he can walk.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, it's if you ask me. I know I love him.
Speaker 2: That's why he's doing so well. He's getting that rest and restoration that he never had before.
Speaker 3: Good for him.
Speaker 1: In Tumbleton, the soldiers are quartering with the small folk, and of course they're menacing them. And you know it's it's just a bad scene overall. Hugh goes to see Raniera and says, I would like to take watch over Tumblinton because my family has fled there. Remember when we when the capital was out of food and there was a lot of chaos here, they left and they went there, And Raniera says, absolutely, you and Olf can take turns. That's perfect. Meanwhile, new graffiti has appeared in the city. It says bastard's uh. Oh Lf goes to his old like bar where everybody knows your name type situation.
Speaker 3: Yes, where we first met him, right when he has the dragon move.
Speaker 1: What's up? Oh sons quite to see you, hopefully woefully see you, oh sung out what you're doing? And uh, you know he's big timing everybody. He's got a full purse now and everybody sticks him with the bill and it's wonderful. Meanwhile, back in Tumbleton, Lady Footley comes to complain again about the high Tower mental Ormond because one of his men has attacked members of what turns out to be hug the Hammer's family like his wife.
Speaker 3: I did not put to and it together that that's who that was. That's craze.
Speaker 1: They kind of brutalize his brother in law, the wife's brother, and almost rape her or maybe you it's unclear because it's a lot happens off.
Speaker 2: Definitely some kind of sexual assault happens. It's really horrible to watch.
Speaker 1: And lady so yeah, Lady Footley comes to complain to Ormond. Hey, you said you're going to keep the peace, and look what happened. And the guy, the attacker, is there and Ormond's like, well, you did it right, look at you. Therefore you're gonna be gelded. Yikes, is gonna yeah? So I think that's just the balls or is that dickenballs?
Speaker 3: I thought it was just maybe I think it's just the dick. I can't remember, Actually, Joe, which one is it?
Speaker 1: Is it dick and ball? Let's look it up. It's yeah, it is just the testicles. Okay. So he's like, you're gonna lose your You're gonna lose your nuts. And because you broke this gentleman's arm, your arm will also be broken. And then because she's like, oh that's ship right. Because you broke this woman's arm, your arm will also be broken. And the guy's trying to be like I have a wife. Sirreadys like whatever, you're.
Speaker 3: Give a ship He's like, don't.
Speaker 1: Then as they drag him away, Ormond turns to Darren and says, see, that's how you do it, firm hand, no lawlessness. You punish crime immediately when it happens. That's that's how you rule. You will find out later that he is indeed preparing Darren. Rania asks for a while for all the messages between King's landing auto High Tower, when you know, when he was handing the king all of Otto's messages to Ormond at Old Town, and she's questioning or while about the high towers and could it be she seems to be wondering, like, could it be the influence of high towers? Old Time is a very important religious site. The Star Recept is there. It's a very important religious site. They have a lot of influence with the faith. And so she seems to be wondering if it was the influence of the if it was the influence of the high towers that convinced the High scept and to not back her and not annoint her. And you know, she's she's clearly worried about that. Or a while says that, you know, they don't have that much influence. Really, the faith guard their independence very very doggedly, and so so he doubts it. She then wonders kind of muses, what, you know, what if something happens to the High Sept and he quits or you know, I don't know, falls down a flight of stairs and dies or something, and says, I don't do that.
Speaker 3: That would be chaotic.
Speaker 1: And the people obviously like love. You know, it has been it's pointed out to Ranier it and again, and we should not forget that while these folks have very very little to their lives, the faith is the thing that is there for them. The doors of the scepter are always open, et cetera, and it would be or while points out a bad idea to cross the faith in too aggressive a way, certainly by I don't know, firing the sceptern or knocking off the ceptin or whatever. No, no, no, but he is like, unless you're just gonna like yeah, She's just like, yeah, you don't want to get away with it, like if you killed them, like, which is a pretty pretty ruthless thing of or while to be like, yeah, I don't get in a protracted like argument with them, but you're gonna kill them.
Speaker 3: But she also it's I love this.
Speaker 2: If we're speaking about like character moments, I love this moment because it is a really important little like sharing of at least what Allile wants Vanera to see of him, and it makes her feel like she has a little trust in him. And she kind of makes this joke about how she's impressed, but that's not what she's.
Speaker 1: He's got the juice a little bit.
Speaker 3: He does have the juice.
Speaker 2: And I gotta say, as much as I was ragging, I don't think she's making her best choices.
Speaker 3: I do think this.
Speaker 2: Is very fucking insightful of her, and I think it pays off really well in the final kind of scenes that we get with Darn because I do think that the Faith and Darron are at least I mean not Darren Ormond, are at least aligned in the way they feel about Renera, even if it's not because of High Tower messing. But I think she's catching onto something that is going to be a problem for her. I wish she was smart enough to know that this is something she should continue to focus on. You know, she's got so many fucking things going on that it's impossible for her to keep her mind on what she needs to.
Speaker 1: So Damon goes to the veil. She's Jane Aaron. She's not happy to see him, especially because, as we all recall, he did kill his wife, Ria Royce, who is you know, from an important family in the veil. And Damon is like, listen, I'll leave, but I need money because we need money. We're kind of broke right now. Jane knows. He realizes, oh, you guys are broke. And also he points out, like you were supposed to send men for the war. You didn't send men. So I'm here for money. The faster you give me the money, the faster I leave. So she pays up. He's loading the gold onto the back of Karaxies when Karaxies starts to get agitated and it flies off without Damon being able to really rain the dragon in. And it's because Karaxies sense sheep stealers, saw sheep steeler, smelt sheep steeler flying across the valley, and Craxi's lands at a cave and Damon goes in, and who should come forward but his bedraggled drag gnld and bedraggled daughter Rada looks terrible.
Speaker 2: She's given the beligue at Stars Network, like it's going tough, it's coming tough.
Speaker 1: But her hair is burned off, she's wearing tattered clothes, crazy scratches on our face kind of you imagine like this is the cost of taming a wild dragon, or at least having a wild dragon in your life.
Speaker 2: But we get some really, we have some really good insight into what has driven her to this position.
Speaker 1: And that's right.
Speaker 3: So she she.
Speaker 1: You know, she's like, listen, yes, I was, I'm the one on sheepstealer and I caused you know, doesn't doesn't really address the fact that she caused Jason's death, although Damon brings it up and it's like, you know, the queen, the queen thinks that the person riding this dragon killed her son, and she's like, listen, I was just trying to help. Damon is crushed. He's it's he's very very like it's like one of those leagues. I'm disappointed. I'm he's not angry, he's just disappointed.
Speaker 2: I think he's like you like immediately knows he's about to be torn in half with the loyalty his child and the loyalty to his wife.
Speaker 1: Who she was supposed to be in Pentoss, he points out with the little kids, And so why don't you just go right now, you know, go now and nobody will know and we can play it off. And Rain is like, no, I'm not leaving, sheep Stealer, because Targeton with a dragon is nothing and is ignored by everybody. And I have a dragon now, and I'm gonna live in this cave forever. And that's it. Just looking like shit, eating just only burnt lamb, no vegetables, no carbs or anything, just like meat. And that's it. That's what I'm gonna do. Sheep Stealer then flies off and leaves, and Damon watches it go, and then he hears like a bag of sheep at the valley below. And he looks down and you know, maybe maybe fifty to eighty feet away down the valley is a sheep herder and you know what Damon's about to do next, which is kill it. It isn't working man.
Speaker 2: Every time with this fucking guy. Man like he says, he fucking sees himself as a god. These motherfuckers just answer to him. Like he does not even give a shit it for a second. But again, if we're talking about short time thinking, this motherfucker and Missia are in the same fucking boat.
Speaker 3: Because this is a dumb ass. He doesn't think it through enough, Jason. He needs more of a story, He needs more of a story.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing. This is a medium term plan. This is a better plan than the Missaria plan. I'm okay, that's just the time it is. It's like he might get away with it. Maybe he will get away with the cheap steels far away.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's like meanwhile, like whatever Missaria does, there's still gonna be no food and there's still gonna be kle. Anyway, let's take a quick break while we read back. We're at Ormond is smelling his perfumes and having a meal when a raven arrives with bad news from heron Hall. He explodes at this. At this note, it says that Amond is not coming to their aid. Cole and GWayne are not coming to their aid, and now Ormond realizes that it's time for him to change plans somehow. Or a while back in King's Landing, says that he's completed his his review of the letters between King's Landing and Ormond, and he basically says listen Otto wrote Ormond a lot, but Ormond never wrote back, which is very very interesting. And or while thinks this means that Ormond really didn't take Auto's council and ran old Town as he saw fit and did not interesting, wasn't under the influence of is that much wiser member of his family?
Speaker 2: Is that something that either of all unreliable narrates is new or is this new information.
Speaker 3: In terms of its like Ormond Like yeah, like is it in the book.
Speaker 1: Again? Ormond is like mentioned in the books, but he's not really.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm thinking, right, it feels like a big it's a big expansion.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean it's like, yeah, I guess it's like more detail it they don't really talk about it. It certainly could be true that Ormond ran old Town independently, but we just don't know. It's not mentioned at all.
Speaker 2: I'm really interested to see how that kind of because we have such an idea of of you know, Alison's dad just being this like ultimate puppet master. And I think it's really interesting that there may be another high Tower who is playing their own game.
Speaker 1: For for sure. Both comes to see Rania and asks for a boon. He's like, listen, I have some of these friends at the tavern and they need some stuff. One of them needs a house tax free, another one wants like his shoplifting charges dropped. And Arnier's like, wait a second, who the fuck are these people. He's like, these are my friends at the tavern uh in.
Speaker 3: Fleable where I go every day.
Speaker 1: And uh yeaheah, so like what you know. And by the way, they're mad at you because of no food, because of the graffiti, yeah and all that shit. So and he seems to be insinuating that like to placate him is to placate them.
Speaker 3: Yes, it is. He's definitely saying that.
Speaker 2: And I gotta say, if I'm Raniera, bitch, I'm chopping that man's head off and finding another dragon seed.
Speaker 3: Because it's so obvious he's gonna betray you.
Speaker 2: And it's also, well, I think it's so great about the storytelling here is it's so clear that he believes that he is like righteous, like he's not even really trying to scamma, like he truly believes that he deserves it as friends does of it, She kind of sucks, and it will be better off if he takes the money that is given.
Speaker 1: This guy is for sale, period, and the sooner Raniera can actually follow through on some of her promises of a house and am and gold and all that shit. The a bit, yes, the more secure she will be with the services of off White, but we will see what will happen. Rania then orders the graffiti in the in the city cleaned up and anyone who was found to be responsible for that punished. Meanwhile, over at Brooks Rested Eggon is working. Laris comes, you know, doing pissbucket boys stuff. Laris comes over and says, there's a ship coming, Bravosi Cog coming soon. We can slip aboard. I've set it up. Let's get out of here. And Eggon learns in this conversation that the realm thinks he's dead and thinks that aim and killed him, which makes him very, very very He's like, I'm a fucking kill a but that bitch so mad, and Lari's is like, listen to calm down, okay, just chill. We're getting a lot of good information here and we can leave on this ship. And yes, everybody thinks you're dead, but you're not dead, and that means that later when you appear again alive, I will personally make sure that the story is like a messianic story, like you have been resurrected. Yeah, and this means that you know you're the rightful king and all that.
Speaker 2: Honestly, pretty smart on Laris's side, because like one place to the.
Speaker 3: Ego, but two from what we actually know of egg On and Eggon dying and then some fire.
Speaker 2: You actually really could spin a great story out of this, and by listening to what the common folk think hearing that intel, they can essentially get details that will make it seem even more believable.
Speaker 3: Right, I'm not gonna lie Laris.
Speaker 2: If we were doing like Raven's report and we were doing MVPs, I think he comes out of this pretty well. Like the I don't think the egg On is a loyal person who's gonna k he kept him alive. But I think that Laris is doing an unbelievable job at keeping Eggon alive for whatever his reasoning is. You know, we know that he's like always thinking twenty steps ahead, like how he left old Man in the in the dungeon for a little meme kind of joke for Damon, so you know, it's it's a good time to be Laris. I believe.
Speaker 1: Damon delivers the burned head of the random guy to Raniera in the small council room and nice Glory announces the delivery of multiple bags of gold from the veil. Rania is like, who the fuck is this guy, but she accepts it touring Manderally, by the way, is now master of coin and with this new gold, the debate opens up what do we do with it? So the choices are pay the city watch and recruit more soldiers or buy food for the people. And Manderlely is like, well what if we raise taxes to get some money going classic? And Raniera is like meeting over, everybody, get out, there's no decisions made at all. Rner just like shuts down on me. She wants to know about the head. Uh, what about the dragon? What about the head? What about sheepstealer? Give me you just show up with the head. And this guy killed my son? Did he do it? And David is like, I don't know, but this was the guy riding the dragon and he's done.
Speaker 2: So it's crazy, don't worry about no one else would do that, Like, it doesn't fucking male.
Speaker 1: Vernier's like I wanted to talk to him, like I wanted to interrogate him, and Damon's like, well, what are you gonna do? She then decrees that the gold will be for arming the small folk and promises that the watch are gonna get paid as soon as she's able, So basically like splitting the baby. Yeah way, And it really doesn't satisfy either side.
Speaker 2: It is really funny that, like she's in this hilarious like Thrupple situation where it's like the two wives and she's constantly trying to keep them happy, and neither of.
Speaker 3: Them are happy.
Speaker 2: It's like so bad, and Damon and Missia are just on their own shit, like having their own little beefs.
Speaker 1: I mean, Massori needs to get fired. I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Anyways, I was gonna say, what do you do think that this interaction is going to lead to that? Let's talk about I mean, there's clearly gonna be a struggle, right, So Massaria and Damon, who remember our exes, have a little argument where Damon's like, I know you're up to some shit. I know you're up to something, and Missaria is like, oh yeah, like whose head is that? I know that's not sheepstealers. She doesn't fully accuse him of bringing a fake head, but she knows that she knows he brought a fake head.
Speaker 1: She knows he's lying about it. Meanwhile, Alison and Helene are just kind of chilling. When Reneer comes to see them Auto's bones, she announces will go to old Town and she brings his signet ring for Allison, and then she leaves, and as Allison is kind of like having a quiet moment with Helena, looks at her and just realizes Helene is pregnant with a huge, huge problem, huge problem because this is the child of King Egon, so that's bad. Meanwhile, in Tumbleton, Ormond is making everyone go home because now there's a curfew. When a dragon flies over, it is Hugh and Vermuthor on their new orders from Queen Rania to just kind of like keep watch over Tumbleton. In King's Landing, the watch goes around looking for the graffiti people and is just killing bad idea.
Speaker 3: Jupidness. Shouldn't have done it all if you're idiot. She's an idiot, idiots.
Speaker 1: Darren is cuddling with his Ormond then takes this quiet moment to like have a little father son father surrogate son moment with Darren, and he's like, listen, you're tainted with Targarian blood. The Targerians are aliens in this world. Dragons are the worst, worst magic.
Speaker 3: It's terrible abominations.
Speaker 1: But I want you to be king and take the throne. And Darren is like, wait a second, yeah, my brothers are the king. Like it's either my brother or my brother or egon, Like what are you? What are you talking about? Ormand then brings the husband of the woman who was attacked, Hugh's brother in law and says, kill this guy, Darren. And because here's the thing. Of course, you show the public the public face in which you are magnanimous and you do the right way, and you are just and you always follow through on the laws. But in private, anybody who crosses you must be punished.
Speaker 2: He touched the high fucking soldier, high stupid ass fucking astubid family soldier.
Speaker 3: That means he touched you, like.
Speaker 2: High tower blah blah, bullshit, bullshit, crazy ass Ormond.
Speaker 3: I love this speech.
Speaker 2: He's insane after this in the scene where we see him chop up the table, like you just know, like he is essentially his own version of evangelical crazy, like he is an evangelist against dragons, against targarians, and he clearly sees Ormond as like a weapon. I mean he sees Darren is a weapon of the faith.
Speaker 3: Essentially, like how Blade is a day.
Speaker 2: Walker who's used against vampires, which I thought was really interesting and I love this speech, Like I did not expect Ormond to be coming.
Speaker 3: Through this bigley.
Speaker 2: Let's say so, Jason again, you you kind of mentioned this, but I did want to ask you, like, is this Ormond, Like we don't really know a law about womens?
Speaker 3: So is this new Ormond canon? Like is it did he always had?
Speaker 1: This is big time new Ormond canon. Yeah, this is this is Ormond as a kind of active, manipulating figure in the darkness and the shadows, attempting to kind of like be a catspaw to a new king Darren, who I would imagine Ormond thinks will just be like his puppet. Is absolutely new stuff, okay and very very interesting. Yeah, let's take a quick break and we'll be back with our thoughts about this episode. Yeah, and we're back. Okay. Uh. The season continues to be like really great, great, interesting, and I'm with you, like the addition of Ormond is a kind of villain We've never seen a villain yet, like this before. Your thoughts on the episode.
Speaker 2: I loved it. I think it's huge. I loved I kind of I'm not gonna lie. I love the opening, right, but the first like twenty minutes I did kind of have that feeling of like, Okay, this is one of those mid season episodes where you've got to go around and check in on all the different characters and make sure the storylines are lining up. And that's not a bad thing, but the first three episodes were so astounding and just so fucking they had so much.
Speaker 3: Momentum and movement emotion that I was like worried that this would lose that.
Speaker 2: But what I really think that this episode does so well is actually it's just setting you up for.
Speaker 3: That real reveal.
Speaker 2: The Ormond actually sees thereon as essentially not only an air but a weapon to righteously end the Targarian Rain. That's fucking cool as shit, Like that's crazy. It's an insane play. I kind of love how Ormonds seems really smart and gentlemanly and of the court, but he's making these insane swings that are more like the swings of like a radical religious zeala, which is kind of what he is when we hear his speech. So yeah, by the end of it, I was just once again like fuck, yeah, I love this.
Speaker 3: I also was.
Speaker 2: Kind of surprised, honestly by Damon's plan that was a I thought it just wasn't well thought out. Like if that was me, I would have made up like a high tower cousin that no one knew of, or pretended like there was a reason I would have I would have pretended that there had been legend. I think he didn't go in with enough of a story. And I think that in those long dark nights when Raniera's thinking about Jase, her curiosity will lead her down roads that will make her question what Damon has told her, and I think that is gonna be problem. But yeah, I mean I just by the end of this episode, I was just like, fuck, Ormond's gonna be like a Jeoffrey level villain. I think I think he's gonna be that hateable. I think he's gonna be that evil. And I also love that even with the small amount that they've been doing with Darren, who I didn't realize is played by the same kid from blind Manor, He's he's from The Haunting of bly Manor. He played one of the boys that was why I recognized him so much, played one of the two kids in the House of the Screw inspired season of Mike Flanagan's incredible Netflix show. And I love that they've already kind of been showing that Darren has this softer side to him, Like he insisted on the servant who bought the raven leaving so he wouldn't get chopped up by Ormond.
Speaker 3: He doesn't want.
Speaker 2: To kill the merchant, even though he does eventually, and you realize Ormond does have this power over him and he does want to use him.
Speaker 3: He does want to use Seri, and he wants to use his Dragon.
Speaker 2: But I love the way that they're slowly building in how different Darren is to Ormond, which I think is obviously going to become a big important.
Speaker 3: Factor going forward.
Speaker 2: I just it kind of blows my mind how much extra we're getting about this world and kind of how much I could watch a whole season just about now.
Speaker 3: These two, you know, which I'm sure is what they want.
Speaker 2: But it's funny how organically I want to know more even when it's not stuff that's directly from George's source material, which I think is what this show has always done so well. Jason, for you as someone who does know the source material so well, there's a couple of big shifts here. What were your biggest takeaways, Like what was the thing that you felt added the most to what we know?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 1: I think Ormond is huge ed obviously, he's again like just mentioned in the in the Annals of Fire and Blood, you know, Raina being the dragon Rider.
Speaker 3: Yeah, is it.
Speaker 1: Very interesting addition, you know in the books, Damon like has basically kind of falls in love with Nettles, who is the writer of Sheep Show. So that's very different. And I think this version adds some really interesting juice, I think, to the drama because you understand immediately why it makes him a more sympathetic figure is protecting his daughter, He's not just like in love with another young fluozy who he's trying to protect from from Rania, So that is quite interesting. And then the Laris and egg On stuff is great. You know in the books he kind of goes straight to Dragonstone by fishing boat and it's just kind of there and so him, I don't know, it feels like they're setting up a redemption arc.
Speaker 2: Right, That's why I was gonna say, feel like those of them could be on a redemption arp.
Speaker 1: That is very interesting to me.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's it's like it's like they say, how everyone should work a service job. You know, everyone should we take to a certain everybody and I guess the West West version of this is everybody should carry piss buckets. Everyone understand, Yeah, just to understand like how people live and you and you wonder, I certainly wonder, like how will this change Eggon? Will it change him for the better? I think there's at least a chance that it does. He's a terrible person, but they all are.
Speaker 3: And they don't have a chance and I have a chance.
Speaker 1: Part of the thing that is really hampering Rnierer right now, it's not just that she's getting terrible advice, which she is. It's that she's in this bubble and she doesn't even realize that it's a bubble. Like when when people come into her orbit from you know, a different socioeconomic class, whether it's oh for or Hugh. She is unable to understand, like what motivates them, Like it's very obvious what motivates Ulf is just make him feel valued, give him some give him some sort of money, give him a house, same thing Hugh. It's like Hugh is trying to protect his family. He wants to get his family back together again. She's money, and you know, security, money. Financial security is something that Ranier could offer despite the fact that the you know, they're obviously broke, there is some cash around, but not being able to find a way to satisfy them and really lock in their loyalty. You have to wonder if it's going to pay. You know, it's gonna come back to bite her at a certain point. And and and it's her inability to understand that that is I think the biggest problem with her reign. Like forget the fact that Massari is like the small fuck. You know, it's important that we got to make sure everybody's fed. Yes, yes, yes, of course, but.
Speaker 3: She's in the shoes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Missa can't even can't even you know, bring the reality of it to Rneer a home in a way that she can understand, and even like again her conversations with Hugh Andolf, don't do it. So it's just a huge, huge, huge problem. And then you see how Damon acts, which is any person that I see that's just around that is not a member of a royal family, I can just kill them very easily, no problem, and then pass their body parts off as evidence that I trade or his behavior evidence that I killed a trader like they. He has no idea about the value of life, and certainly the value of lives of the small folk. And I think while Rania is not a cold blooded murderer who would just you know, slaughter some innocent person walking around, she might order, like what of her henschies, to go slaughter a person if she found out interest. So I think it's I think that is the crux of the problem with Rania. And so you wonder, as Eggon is kind of immersed in the culture and of the small folk and just surrounded by small folk, kind of at their mercy without them knowing who he is, you wonder if that is going to give him an edge in what is looking increasingly like an important front in the war, which is the public relations front visa the small folk. Is he going to be able to frame himself as a rightful ruler going forward because of his understanding and knowledge of the daily lives of the small folk.
Speaker 3: Is that going to be a factor. It might be living alongside them too.
Speaker 2: And I mean, this is the thing that I really love, right, And I'm glad you brought this up because this is kind of a nice, a nice little thought to end on. But like something that I had really spoken to me about this episode is I did feel like through egg On especially but also through you know, seeing Rainar, like these different experiences. It was giving Night of the Seven Kingdoms. It was reminding me. It was almost like we were getting the other look at poverty, the other look at Fleabot'm like, how does it feel to experience them as someone who has been so wealthy, so hugely popular.
Speaker 3: It felt so of a.
Speaker 2: Kind of spiritual conversation, thematic conversation about class, about wester Roast. And obviously that is reflective of egg story as we've seen it in that, you know, So yeah, I just am really impressed with that aspect and I really do want to see how much they commit to it. And also what levels we get because Jason, we've talked about this a lot with like and or and stuff. Missi is definitely giving like short term thinking, no organization, no greater plans, no revolution, Like she does not have the leadership right.
Speaker 3: I'm very interested to see.
Speaker 2: If we get more insight into the people who do and who are able to do stuff within the realm and get stuff done for the small folk. So I think it's a really interesting path and it's gonna be intriguing to see how Laris specifically and Eggon kind of utilize that as they get closer to that inevitable kind of resurrection.
Speaker 1: We are going to continue, of course, to cover House of the Dragon as the season continues. The next episode of Extra Vision, we're diving into X Men ninety seven episode five. That's it for this episode.
Speaker 3: Extra stec Bye.
Speaker 1: X ray Vision is hosted by Jason Concepts Young and Rosie Knight and as a production of iHeart Podcast.
Speaker 2: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abu Zafar.
Speaker 2: Our producers are Common Laurent Dean Jonathan and Bay Wag.
Speaker 1: Our theme song is by Brian Vasquez with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 2: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman, and Heidi our Discord moderator,