Speaker 1: It's that time to put on your jersey and wave your flag whoever you root for.
Speaker 2: Why do I watch the work up? That's like asking me why do I breathe?
Speaker 1: And it's beautiful.
Speaker 2: The guys are young and cute and fat. It's not just a game, it's your culture. Imaging work like that.
Speaker 3: It's a connecting force.
Speaker 1: From Futuro Studios, I'm Fernande Chavari and this is American Football, a show about soccer culture in the US and it's underdog roots. Listen to American Football on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 4: Sometimes the bigger picture can be overwhelming, but you gotta be grateful for the small things, and so the small things will add up and the bigger picture will get resolved. Did you learn that from I think I learned along the way. I have a core group of friends who remind me of being grateful. I learned from their kindness. My friend from third grade, Romey, who is actually here, reminds me of that kindness every day.
Speaker 3: And you've been friends since went since third grade. You know how lucky you are, very lucky.
Speaker 2: But that's careless. If I get stop on the street for an auto drash like, oh yeah, I forget you do stuff on TV?
Speaker 3: Dear listener, did you watch that super popular show What We Do in the Shadows on FX? You might have seen Harvey Yen struttying his stuff on red carpets.
Speaker 4: Here's to fifteen year old Harvey watching the Golden Globes and dreaming that one day he'd be on the carpet.
Speaker 2: And here you are, babe.
Speaker 3: You might have also caught Harvey Gym in big budget films alongside big names like Antonio. He played the voice of Perrito in Puss and Boots The Last Wish this is going to Puss and Boots your Puss in Boots. Or you might have seen Harvey Gien in the Broadway revival of The Rocky Horror Show It opened earlier this year.
Speaker 1: The Rocky Horror Show is on Broadway as Studio fifty four and nominated for nine Tony Awards, including Best Musical Revival.
Speaker 3: But most people know Harvey from his role as Pierre de la Cruz in the FX vampire comedy What We Do in the Shadows.
Speaker 2: Are still angry about that Vampa. I tried to eat you on you Yes, don't deny it. I can tell you I said yes.
Speaker 3: The series, which ran for six seasons, earned multiple Awards nominations, including an Emmy win for its costumes. The Emmy goes to What We Do in the Shadows, along with multiple Critics Choice Award nods for Harvey's portrayal of Guillermo de la Cruz. He is the human assistant who lives in a house full of vampires.
Speaker 5: I promised to help my master apply for citizenship. Yes, you actually started a process, but you didn't finish what happened in nineteen ninety two with the Megarain Swift Nation, so I didn't really have time for anything is.
Speaker 3: And just like Gillermo opens eyes to the vampire world of Staten Island, Harvey has made a career out of going for roles that people in Hollywood didn't think he would fit into.
Speaker 2: With my eyes, with my height, with my body, with my voice, with my trades.
Speaker 3: As a petit. He's only five foot three. He's also plus sized, he's queer, he's Mexican American, he's brown, so he was just never what studios were looking for.
Speaker 4: Tall, blonde, blue eyed, and I would convince my agent, can I go in as a wild card. So the trajectory of my career has been book rolls that were never written for me, but I go in then people end up Yeah, what if they were?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: And what we Do in the Shadows it was one of those shows.
Speaker 4: Shadows was not written for me. The character Guillermo de la Cruz was written twenty years older.
Speaker 3: But after talking himself into that audition, he parted his hair down the middle, put on a beige sweater vest and some round glasses and well he made some magic happen.
Speaker 2: Happiana Past, Thank you, Master Slumper sleep Fast.
Speaker 3: A few days later, he got a call his audition was so perfect they wanted him on set the next week from Futuro Media. It's let you know us say I'm atrianga Hosa. Today we revisit a twenty twenty five conversation with Mexican American actor Harvey Gee Yeah, and we talk about his identity, his upbringing, and how he continues to make it in Hollywood and beyond. When Harvey Yian got on set for What We Do in the Shadows, he realized that his character Guillermo didn't have a last name.
Speaker 4: I gave him the last name of de la Cruz, like without knowing that he was a vampire slayer, Like I gave him the name early on and found out later.
Speaker 2: I am by birth and lineage, a vampire killer. And the only reason your life is because I let you live. And I was like, why did you let me name him that if you knew this? And it was like, because it's perfect.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, it's kind of perfect.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: That Guruz means of.
Speaker 2: The cross, across the cross. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And I just go back to my resume of like, every time I look at it a role I've played. First of all, you always think every time I book something, I won the lottery, because his business is tough, and so every time I book something or offered something. How lucky am I that I get to like do what I love and people enjoy it so much that they come back and ask me to do it again or do a different character. But all the characters that I've played, if you just go down my credit list, are usually roles that were not written for me, and I had to go in and convince whoever was in charge, to maybe consider me. I remember going into auditioning for the internship with Vince von Owen Wilson, and I knew that role was not for me, and I just had to, Like, my goal in life was to obviously want to book the role. But if you don't book the role, that's okay, as long as you book the room. So if you book the room, yeah, you book the room. You'll always have someone on your side. It doesn't mean that this project it was for you, but they'll be thinking about you. And so when I go in and I book the room, I walk away saying, I don't know if I'm going to get this, but I know what I did get. Everyone in this room enjoyed the work I put into this, the hardship I put into this, the character development I put into this, and that's all that matters. And as an artist, that's all you can do is put it out there and walk away.
Speaker 3: So you were raised in southern California, right, You actually were near Hollywood, but you were also very aware of your Mexican nests, your Mexican roots. What part of Mexico are you from?
Speaker 4: Do you know my parents are from me truck Cotton. My dad was from Sawayo. I was born in Los Angeles. I grew up in SGV in San Gabriel Valley.
Speaker 3: So in terms of distance, you were pretty close to Hollywood. Did you feel like the proximity to Hollywood was like this is going to benefit me rather Oh my god, I'm so far from Hollywood, but I wish I could get there.
Speaker 2: I knew that I was adjacent to Hollywood. I've always been like a daydreamer, so.
Speaker 4: Like the idea of being so close to something that I want to be a part of was really aspirational.
Speaker 2: But growing up, actually what I wanted to do was theater. I want to do musical theater.
Speaker 4: So for the longest time, TV and film was like something that was like WHOA, totally out of your reach, even though you live in LA The theater is what I was doing at school, and I was a daydreamer, so I was like, yeah, I'll just start with Broadway. And that's how people do it. They go to Broadway and then they do movies and then they do television.
Speaker 2: That's the way up.
Speaker 4: And I was so focused on Broadwick that when an opportunity came for television, it almost slipped through my fingers because I was so focused on doing theater. It was a lucky coincidence and then once I started doing an episode here, I did a short film there. It just added up before you knew what I was doing television film.
Speaker 3: Harvey is a Californian, though he's been bike coastal living between LA and New York for a while now, but still he holds a deep love for Los Angeles, especially following the twenty twenty five wildfires.
Speaker 4: There's something about it that I was just looking at the city skyline recently, and it's this dried up desert by the ocean with strong winds. But it's still an oasis and still paradise for me, So I'll always love it. I love that.
Speaker 2: You know, we've gone through some unfortunate moments.
Speaker 6: Another fire breaking out right now.
Speaker 2: Homes are burning as we speak.
Speaker 3: Fisials have issued a mandatory evacuation order. Well, Harvey, were terribly upset about what happened with your home. I can't even imagine how one processes that amount of loss as an artist, as somebody who is so deeply rooted in your space. Can you just tell us how is it all fitting into your head?
Speaker 4: Well, my home was damage. I caught on fire, but it is still standing. To tell you a little backstory, of the day that we were evacuated for the house. I am a first generational homeowner and I bought this house a year ago and I just announced it to my mom last Christmas. I had tricked George of thinking we're going to an Airbnb, and I told her the news that I bought this house, that I was an Airbnb and she cried and I cried, and that.
Speaker 2: For me, was one of my favorite moments to have. So it's important for me to let people know that I'm very lucky. I am very lucky.
Speaker 4: And I went out to my backyard the night that they evacuated us, and I asked ancestors to protect my house.
Speaker 2: And they did.
Speaker 4: And I had this guilt for a second because I had asked ancestors. And my friend saw how distress I was about feeling this guilt, and she put it into a way that I never even thought of. She said, you can't ask ancestors to help you, and when they do, disrespect them and feel shame.
Speaker 2: And my house caught on fire.
Speaker 4: Every corner of my house, the fences burned and the trees burn but the house stays intact and the house is still holding. There's smoke damage severe toxins that I can't live in that house for a while because it will be deep cleaning, throwing away of furniture, mattresses, of anything. So I may have to start over again with the interior and not able to live there for a while.
Speaker 2: But I did not lose my home.
Speaker 4: And there's people who lost everything, everything they had worked for generation wellth having passed down to Black families, Latino families that were able to buy property in this area for the first time southern California.
Speaker 2: And I am a part of that neighborhood. So we are going to rebuild.
Speaker 4: And you might have a tragedy like this that comes by and test you, but it is a resilient town and we will rebuild.
Speaker 3: Coming up on Latino USA, we continue our conversation with Mexican American actor Harvey gee yin he's going to share his comedic influences.
Speaker 4: I was very much this kid who was Mexican but also American and those two cultures intertwined.
Speaker 3: And later he reveals his true identity.
Speaker 6: Stay with us, Yes, is it hard for you to understand English when people speak fast. I'm Connor from the Listening Time podcast, and my goal is to help you understand English better. That's why I created Listening Time, a podcast designed to help English learners improve their listening naturally. In each episode, I talk slowly and clearly about a different topic like travel or US culture, and I give you the transcript that shows every word that I say. Listening Time is the perfect tool to help you understand English better. The Listening Time podcast is available wherever you listen to podcasts.
Speaker 3: Hey, We're back. Before the break, actor Harvey Gien was sharing his love for Los Angeles and talking to us about the tragedy that hid his home and his community really hard during the fires. Now, Harvey is going to let us into his life growing up and the comedic influences that he experienced from two different cultures. Let's jump back to the conversation. You were raised in a Mexican immigrant household in the nineties and the early two thousands, and so what kind of television were you watching, both in Spanish and in English.
Speaker 2: I was watching a lot of Kantine Flassranny.
Speaker 3: My God.
Speaker 4: I got a lot of my comic physical comedy from watching Kantine Flask with my dad. My dad love Kantine Flash, and then I would watch I Love Lucy.
Speaker 3: Yes, Envire made a begamin.
Speaker 1: You can spoon your way to hell.
Speaker 4: It's so tasty too, tastes like.
Speaker 2: Candy, honest, So I would be like, it's the same thing. It's if it's one's in Spanish and one's in English. But the comedy is there, and these two people are comic genius. So growing up, a lot of my influence was Lucio Ball and was skantin Flus. So I was very much this kid who was Mexican but also American, and those two cultures intertwined. And so watching both of those at my home on a daily like after school movies with my dad on the weekend, used to like all the Maria Feliques like movies, like we used to watch all of those classes.
Speaker 3: So you are like, seriously Mexican.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm twisted.
Speaker 4: I am.
Speaker 3: So Harvey, did you feel like as a queer Mexican young man and boy, did you feel like there was space for you or were you still working that out as you were watching Ganting Pleas and Lucille Ball.
Speaker 4: You know, growing up Mexican is great and also has some of the bad traditional values that are bestowed upon men, which is like the machismo culture and how you see a man act like a man and a man is supposed to be a man, and if they see any kind of softness in a boy, it needs to be addressed. I remember being at a kid's birthday party in a park and someone makes you know comment you know, you know, which.
Speaker 2: Is the equivalent of the f slur.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a very very hard And as your child growing up, where you're just living your life and dancing in the grass and just having the best time, and to hear someone say to you like, don't do that, don't be that.
Speaker 3: That's not good. You don't want to be that, and you as a child saying what's not good?
Speaker 2: What did I do?
Speaker 3: So you had to ask your mom?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I remember when I was little. I actually years later I realized what happened. I'd been gay bashed. I went to play with my neighbors at my last place in Mexico, and I brought my tonguea truck because I played Tonka trucks and I played with like dolls.
Speaker 2: I play with both of those, and I brought my truck full of dolls.
Speaker 4: I was like, do you guys want to play with my Tongua and this is the Tonka trucks, the metal ones, the heavy ones. So I'd drag this big Tonga truck with the dolls and tops. You guys want to play, and I remember one of the kids saying, no, we can't play with you, and I was like why because my brother says it is Mariposa and I was like, I'm a butterfly, and I was like, what is that?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 2: And I didn't know at the time, because I didn't know I'm a child.
Speaker 4: That was a negative connotation about someone who is light on their loafers, or any other phrase that you've heard throughout history that has been given to kids, to young adults, to grown men, that we've been called for centuries just because it makes the other person feel that they're entitled to and to put you down.
Speaker 2: So I didn't know what that meant.
Speaker 4: So as I walked away with my toys, I got Tyria and I was like, why do they want to play with you? Anyway, I walked away, they started chanting it Maripo sat and they grabbed some pebbles off the floor and I was like, I'm walking back to my grandma's house. I felt something fly by my ear, and I didn't know and then I looked back and a rock just hit my and I.
Speaker 2: Still have that scar on my eyebrow.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: It was my first bashing when I was a kid, and I didn't know why. I was about six years old. Baby, being six years old and not knowing that you've just been bashed because of what apparently everyone else knows you are, except you don't know yourself because you're a kid and you're just being yourself and you don't know that this offends anyone so much that they have to take it upon themselves to tear you down.
Speaker 2: So for me, that was the beginning.
Speaker 4: I learned that there was something different about me that people were obviously scared of offended by.
Speaker 2: I didn't know what that was.
Speaker 4: And I ran home and I was crying and covered in blood and dirt, and my mom said was like, they call me Mariposa is why would they call you mariposa?
Speaker 2: And she looked at me, and I knew then that my mother knew what all of this meant.
Speaker 4: And all she said was like, yes, Like it's like, who cares they call you a butterfly? Because butterflies are beautiful and they get to fly far away.
Speaker 3: Places and oh my god, your mom is amazing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And so it was just like that turnaround for me of like I still knew something was different about me for the time being.
Speaker 2: That's all I needed to know to give me reassurance that there was nothing wrong with me.
Speaker 3: We'll be right back, Yes, hey, we're back. I'm going to wrap up my conversation with Harvey gen about his career, art, and his true identity.
Speaker 5: In the end.
Speaker 3: I mean, you're a star on television, So what are those friends and neighbors, what are they saying to you? Now?
Speaker 4: Well, it's funny now, like the people I've had, people who were definitely bullies reach out and like nothing happened, like none of their negative words had any damage. I called them out on it, like I said, I'm sorry, aren't you the same person who did A, B and C? And they're like, yes, oh my god, did I do that?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: And then I get it.
Speaker 4: People grow and they evolve and they make mistakes and we learn. But I make the choice to who I surround myself with and who I share energy with. And people trying to sneak in back into a life that they have not been a part of for years and years. Like it's kind of very telling on them, and I think a little bit of like yeah, like it's like they reached out to me, found me, found a way to get a hold of me, and said remember me, Remember me.
Speaker 2: It's like, I don't think.
Speaker 4: About you because you're that part of my life is back then, and I don't look back if I look forward.
Speaker 2: So if you keep looking back, you're going to miss what's right in front of you.
Speaker 3: You know what, You're giving us some life lessons. Okay, all right? So in Companion, it's in the near future kind of scarily where you can rent a highly sophisticated sex robot. The days of you controlling me are over?
Speaker 2: Did you Joe break your sex part?
Speaker 3: Okay, I gotta tell you this totally freaks me out, But let me ask you this, So, what do you think that this film actually says about men and love?
Speaker 4: I think the movie shows the relationship that men have with companions, with a partner, whether it's human or not, and those shows the loneliness and the epidemic that's happening where men feel the neat that they have to purchase a companion.
Speaker 2: When I was reading the script.
Speaker 4: One of the first lines that popped up to me was jack Quade's character and the way that he talked to Iris. And one of the scenes after they've been intimated, they're in bed and she's gushing about how much she loves him and whatnot, and he's just fed up and he just goes Iris go to bed and just like talks to her very direct and unbeknownst to me that far in the script, I had no idea what the premise of the movie was yet, and that was very like jolting to me, and it made realized, is this a norm that maybe I'm not used to? But then as you read the script, you find out why he was talking to her like that, And that's what's a great question for society of like why would it be okay to talk to if that's a companion, whether it's flesh, skin and human or robotic. Why is it okay to talk to partners like that? And why is the dynamic of power not leveled? And when do we draw the line when it comes to technology, like where is enough? We're losing human connection and how to connect with each other. So I think this movie's really well written and Drew, who the director and writer, did a fantastic job.
Speaker 3: I love this. Where did you get that? Let's goutness, le's goutnesssness?
Speaker 4: I think I've always I'm a child of my parents who were hard workers, multiple jobs just to make the dream in America come true.
Speaker 2: I think that in this industry you have to have talent.
Speaker 4: And if you're fortunate enough to have talent and work on your talent and get trained and whatnot, there's the other thing that people need to have. And I think that being part of a Mexican family, I think it's kind of naturally bestowed upon us, and that's tenacity, the other tea.
Speaker 2: You might not have talent. You might have talent, but tenacity is something that I think is bestowed upon us.
Speaker 4: And while we're survivors and lasanas, tenacity is something that you get on it or you have no one else to blame by yourself. Can't blame you know, yourself for being in a situation. If you don't like situation you're in, then get out of it. If you don't like the way your life's going, then change it. Get that tenacity and get going.
Speaker 3: You know what, Harvey, So I've been calling you Harvey because that's the way that everybody knows you. But when we were doing the prep, my team said, you know, your name is actually Havier. Like you grew up as Kaye, I'm still hat it.
Speaker 4: So when I grew up, one of my teachers couldn't say Javier, and so she's Hovey. Hovey and Haave was kind of the nickname, which is fine because that's what people call me at home.
Speaker 3: Have.
Speaker 4: And then when I got older and I got an agent who was, by the way, a Mexican agent, he was like Javier Bien.
Speaker 2: I was like, let's get you a stage name. What do people call you? And I said Hovey and then he goes Havy Harvey and I was like, uh huh. And at first I didn't like it, and I was like, but I love Javier, and I was like, it was my father's name and Javier is my name. And they were like, yeah, but Javier Bien, it's gonna limit you and what you get to play. And at this point in my career, with no credits under my name, he was making me feel that I was just going to be seen as a one trick pony. And that's when my wheel started like shifting because I was like, I guess he knows something. He's an agent, and I went along with it, and I'm.
Speaker 4: Kind of At first I was upset about it, but after a couple of years, I'm actually glad because Javi Javier is my name that my friends and my familia calls me when I'm at home. And if you know me for my work, and that's Harvey and that's all you need to know me. So if you know me as Harvey, you know me for my entertainment, you know me for my work, you know me as that. And Harvey is that Javier is more personal and more intimate to my family and friends.
Speaker 2: So my friends still call me Kave Javier.
Speaker 4: If I go to dinner with a group of friends that I've known since they're great, they don't call me Harvey.
Speaker 2: They call me Javier.
Speaker 4: And that's the what we get to call and when you talk to me, you get to call me because you are family. Javief is family and friends. How do we that's the stage name and we need to have the separation. And I like separation of that because family and friends is not intertwining with work. And sometimes now that people know this story. They do try to sneak in and they see me on the street and they try to go havevier and I'm like, oh hi, and it's to meet you. Harvey.
Speaker 2: You don't know me like that. Snap, you don't know me like that, because if you get to know me like that, And I've had like working on shadows, like Jana Gorskaya is one of our directors, and she was so lovely and we ca so close, and then one day I think, after seasons of working together, show, is it okay if I call you hovey and I've become so close to her, then now she become a dear friend.
Speaker 4: I was like, you can call me Hobby, you call me Hovey. You are part of a very small group. You call me Harvey. We're all business here entertainment. Howrvey's here to entertain and have a good time. But you don't go home with me, and you don't get to talk in a different level, in a personal level, like.
Speaker 3: That final question, Harvey, dream role, dream role? If you could dream it right now, your top role would.
Speaker 4: Be superhero comedy, love story. Ooh, I want to be the center of a romantic storyline. I love action I want to do my own stunts. I obviously love comedy or yit Mane.
Speaker 3: I did see you doing your own stunts and I was like, is that really him? And I was like, I really him? Yeah.
Speaker 2: Even my mom doesn't think like I was like, no notice, fool, and I was like, Mom, I did the stunts.
Speaker 4: She's like, no notice, fool. And I was like, mom, here's the video of you rehearsing no no Manda.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, Harvey. Thank you for sharing so much of your heart and your wisdom with us and your life lessons. I appreciate it. Cio chav That was actor Harvey Giyin. You can catch him in any of his new films or on Broadway with the revival of The Rocky Horror Show, or as host of the Spotify podcast Serial Killers. This episode, which originally aired in twenty twenty five, was produced by Monicamreles Garcia and edited by Andrea Ropez Cruzado. It was mixed by gabriel A Bias, Nicole Rothwell and are Managing editor Fernande Chavari helped put this rerun together. Nancy Trujuillo is our production manager. The Latino USA team also includes Broxana Aguire, Julia Russo, Rinaldo Lanos Junior, Stephanie Lebau, Luis Luna, Dori mar Marquez, Julieta Martinelli, JJ Krubin and Adriana Rodriguez. Benileeira Merez and I are executive producers. I'm your host Maria no Josa. Latino USA is part of Iheart's mich Ududa podcast network. Executive producers at iHeart are Leo Gomes and Arlene Santana. Join us in on our next episode. In the meantime, you can find us on social media. I'll see you there and don't forget dear listener to join Futuro Plus to listen to everything every and get cool bonus content. I'll see you there Noteva yes Chao.
Speaker 1: Latino USA is made possible in part by the Ford Foundation, working with visionaries on the front lines of social change worldwide, the Heising Simons Foundation Unlocking Knowledge, Opportunity and Possibilities or at hsfoundation dot org, and the TAW Foundation