Speaker 1: Every day we click your ass up the Breakfast Club. You don't finished for y'all done morning.
Speaker 2: Everybody's d J n V Jess hilarious. Charlamagne the guy we are the Breakfast Club. He got a special guest.
Speaker 1: In the building. My favorite MC of all time.
Speaker 2: Legend the coming Gentlemen, ghost Face Killer.
Speaker 1: Yah goa yo yo yo yo, what up? What up?
Speaker 2: How you feeling?
Speaker 3: Man? Now? We call him were cooling King? Glad to be here right now?
Speaker 4: Man had like three times, right, I think once twice alright, but lost friend at the wild you know, so you had you had that face on, like yo, you know what I mean? Downstairs, I was like, yeah, everything I wanted to have, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: This perfect time. And Supreme Clientele too, is out this Friday.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 5: You said you would never do a sequel to Supreme Clientele, So what changed your mind?
Speaker 4: No, it was it was it was the fans. It was it was the fans. They kept calling for it. So I'm like, yo, for years they was calling for it, So you know, gradually I was just I started back then, like you know, I saved a couple of joints every time I get a joint and I felt like could be supreme.
Speaker 3: I just put it in the vote. Stash is stash it.
Speaker 4: So look on this album right here, I got like maybe like five songs from like twenty years ago, seventeen and better on it.
Speaker 1: You know, how do they know this body of work? Was it?
Speaker 3: Though?
Speaker 1: This body works to be supreme clientele too, because.
Speaker 4: I kind of felt good about it, you know what I mean. Besides the skits member last summer had like a few Iron Man.
Speaker 3: Skits on it and stuff like that, but now they really they on you.
Speaker 4: Now you really can't really do it, so you gotta you gotta just think of like, Okay, which way I'm gonna go. And that was one of the hardest parts I had, just trying to find like a theme behind it, you know what I mean. So you know, it took me. It took a while. It took a while, but I got it. I feel like I feel I got it, you know what I mean. But and it's a vibe. You know, when I create albums, I create vibes. So if I could get ahead and hear it like all the way through, then I know I'm good. Then I got my I got my man's and my player. For you know, I don't got no yes brothers around me.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 4: So if they like yo, nah tone like you know what I mean, then I weigh and judge it and feel like I, you know what, Maybe he's right. I tell him, like yo, what I feel about it, you know, But I make the end decision at the end of the day. So on this project, I just think that we got a good vibe.
Speaker 2: Or now, how do you navigate the landscape today? How do you like the landscape of music and musicians today? Because you're the guy that drops and it gets out the way. We don't see you, like literally ghost face, like get gone for years but on tour. So how do you feel about the landscape today of music, of.
Speaker 3: Music, rap music?
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, I mean it kind of shifted, Its shifted, you know what I mean, to another region and I get it, you know what I mean, because nothing stays the same. You just sometimes you just got to adapt to it. But I realized that you just got to do you You just got to stay in your lane, just stay right in your lane or whatever, you know what I mean. Because for the people I came up with, you know what I mean, It's like they still there. They're still out there, even though they probably got grandkids and you know what I mean, whatever the case may be, but you know this real music still exists out there, you know what I mean. Not trying to take away from what else is going on, but you just gotta do you man.
Speaker 5: I feel like with this Supreme clientele too, it's not even like you channeling your era.
Speaker 1: This just feel like eighty six to eighty eight.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I'm I'm from that era, you know what I mean. So I love that era, you know what i mean. You know, I'm an R and B dude. First, you know what I'm saying. So it's like just to try to go back and get it. That's what I was telling you, like trying to just get a feeling, get a feeling. Then I found it. Then I'm like, yo, you know what, let me call it tay Bookie, you know what I mean, and get it more, just just to more create that feeling, you know what I mean. Because I was thinking, like, damn, what I'm gonna go it? Like I said, I was thinking about a lot of rappists.
Speaker 3: Even Laurence Hill.
Speaker 4: I'm like, damn, she got miseducation to Lauryn Hill and this one got that one. You know, I'm looking at three feet high and rising and all the other stuff. And you know, twenty five years from the last time we disc supreme clientele, it's like, yo, some brothers is dead, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And it was a vibe.
Speaker 4: It was like, you know, people don't understand, like if you got a baby, you can't create the same baby, you know what I'm saying. So fans be thinking that Joe, you gotta really do it, you know what I mean? Like this, but it's you know, you first of all these producers now they're not making the same beats and stuff that they did before they caught up in like right now, so's you know, I had to find a way, like and you know, like you said, God's time is the best time, sol and that's that's why.
Speaker 3: We're hearing now.
Speaker 1: Were you afraid to call the supreme Well, not fear.
Speaker 5: Fear not the right word, but you have any hesitation about calling a supreme clientele too, because that gives a different expectation to the body of work.
Speaker 4: Not really, you know, with me, it's like if I got the beats and I'm focused and I got time.
Speaker 3: I could do those all day.
Speaker 4: It just it's just a matter of the the really the beats that could just drag me in it, because the beats is everything, every every verse ever, whatever I have it set on the beat.
Speaker 3: It's like the beat talk to me, you know what I mean. I don't know if that makes sense, but it just music. It's just taught.
Speaker 4: Like like when I did All I Got is You, it just dragged me there, like I didn't know what I was gonna do when I got it, you know what I mean. I told Rizzidey, I want that bo when I took it home and and just went another way with it, just what I felt.
Speaker 3: And that's what a lot of tracks I make.
Speaker 4: So Yeah, but I'm confident in myself that I know that I could do those.
Speaker 3: I could do those over and over and over again. Just give me some time. And that's it.
Speaker 2: You said you sat on records for nineteen twenty years. Yeah, I can't hear that in the album. Though it doesn't sound dated. It doesn't sounds.
Speaker 4: Hard right, like metaphysics right, like the other one I did that was like twenty years ago.
Speaker 1: That's crazy.
Speaker 3: It was it was that. It was twenty years ago.
Speaker 4: The whole three verses was twenty years Then I got a joint called Candy Land that was the same. I just wrote the second verse on that, you know what I mean, And me and me and Meth got one called you my friend. That that's that's that's one of them tear jerker joints. So it's like that's from back then. It's a few of them. Full disciple, Like you know, yeah.
Speaker 5: When you you said that when you hear a beat, it takes you there. So the first time you heard it, impossible beat?
Speaker 1: Right, what was your energy?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 5: What was going on in your your world that you just hint that classic verse?
Speaker 4: It was the beat. It was the beat. It sounded like it was theatrical. So I'm like, I'm in the studio, we're doing We're doing forever. So you know, I get up in there and I just hear her that beat. And I'm one of them guys that I don't just like a regular beat for the most when I'm doing that, I like for the beat to get him and just take me within the beat, like break down, just break down on certain points so I can just get ahead and just glide with it and just going that go right into that pocket, then slip out and then you know we go here, we go ahead, like and that's what it just did to me.
Speaker 3: But it felt like it's talked to me like.
Speaker 4: Col ambulance Jamie evens shot Timmy, don't go something you my mother fucking heart like like it just it just it just it just had me there and I ain't. I think I might have came back the next day and finished it because I just wrote a chunk and then I had to leave it alone, like don't touch you no more, like you know what I'm saying, Like you come back and just and get it again. It was all like it was all that, but you don't want to when you're dealing with something great and you could feel it, you don't want to just suck it up, you know what I mean. You just got to like yo, hold on, just chill. You ain't got to force it. Came back and just and just finished it.
Speaker 1: Off with that. Based on the true story some of it, some of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my son's uncle had got shot I think on a on around the fourth of July when I was like, mother came down holding the rest with a gown on and all that.
Speaker 3: It was like it was like I was when I was in that pocket.
Speaker 4: It was like that one was was real, you know what I mean a lot of other stuff I just added behind it, like you know what I mean, but uh, the cop was real, officer low and all this shit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So you know, I just like the gold places.
Speaker 6: Or what are the artists like you who's so great at storytelling on every single song, tell younger artists when they come to you about trying to tell stories because they're moving so fast. It's a lot different. You take your time even in writing your music. How do you mentor the younger artists who don't.
Speaker 3: Really get that as far as writing.
Speaker 6: Writing yep and putting it in like composing an actual song from start to finish.
Speaker 4: I mean, like you said, take your time and just think a lot of rappers nowadays, I don't think they think you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: You know, knowledge is infinite, So it's like when you could.
Speaker 4: Just sit there and just this is art first, you know what I mean, So when you could get ahead and just use your mind and just just go, man, I don't care like when.
Speaker 3: We did when I round, when me and slick. We did the Sun, but.
Speaker 4: Didn't make it on Bulletproof Wilence. It's nothing like that because you risually couldn't find a sample. But it's like, Yo, it's just yo, that's the Sun, you know what I mean. You just got to like, if you got an imagination, you.
Speaker 3: Could just go there, just go.
Speaker 4: And I don't know how it is for other rappers, you know what I mean, because a lot of rappers is the one dimensional you know what I mean. I'd be like, Yo, give me country, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Let me, let me, let me dive in there. You know what I mean. I don't care it's opera whatever.
Speaker 4: Yo, let me just let me just go in and and and I tried a way to finesse that.
Speaker 3: I'm just one of those kind of guys.
Speaker 4: So when I get the R and B tracks, which is my best tracks, I get here, I demo that I need a story here, you need an abstract track, you know what I mean. It's it's whatever because I enjoy the music of it, like you know what I mean, just the art form just period.
Speaker 2: But I think what you said, I think the trend of I don't have to write. I think that kills it right, but you know.
Speaker 3: What it is not to cut you off.
Speaker 4: It'd be like now I'm hearing just like jury women cause bottles, you know what I mean. It's it's it's limited, like you know what I mean, Like I'll not be thinking to myself where the cream would have work today if we would have dropped that, like you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 5: The reason I think so is because I think about the artists who are really having real success.
Speaker 1: They are detailed in a way. Whether it's the Kendrick Lamar, the j Drake.
Speaker 5: I'm just thinking about the guys from the last you know, fifteen years. They are very detailed in a way, right. I love them like they they music, they lyrics do have a have layers to oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they could all tell a story like Kendrick. He tells a story some of this rap. But that's what I miss sometimes I miss driving and putting myself into that story.
Speaker 3: Right, you know what I mean? Right right?
Speaker 5: And I say it, Yeah, you said something man, you said when you and slick Rick wrote the Sun like yore the son, everybody can feel the sun to go back to there impossible verse. I always felt like that's that feels like a breeze. I don't know any other way to describe it. Did you feel something like that like a wind? Almost?
Speaker 1: Still? I don't know.
Speaker 4: I just knew that it was something I can't even I just knew it was something like and and like the way the beat was, it was just like okay, just got more and then more and more and more like like like it was like a movie, you know, And and that was it when I had to break it down and get ready to stop and just ended it.
Speaker 3: And that's just how And I.
Speaker 4: Got a lot of verses like that, like they just be like movies, you know what I mean. So I don't know if something did I was when I was into it, something was it was God blessed me with something, and it was just on my back like like when I just I just had to knock it out.
Speaker 1: Though.
Speaker 5: You know, when people talk about hip hop storytellers, right like, your name is up there with the Greats, the Slick Ricks, the nas Is, the Biggies, all of those individuals. What do you think separates your style of storytelling from them?
Speaker 4: Probably because my emotions. I could spell that soul on it, like when I did holler, you know what I mean, Like like like old Dirty was like, yo, he's one of them that gave me like a lot of my soul too, besides me being in the living room getting kicked out the liver room, you know what I mean when he was young.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it was. I think it's a soul.
Speaker 4: I think I know how to like to lean on on certain tracks and cry on them and just like you know, like just do that, like just dig in.
Speaker 5: Like did you did you always feel like being emotional was like your superpower? Because especially in hip hop, you know, people often glorified being like cold and detached and emotionless. Did you feel like that was a super.
Speaker 1: Power for you later on?
Speaker 3: Later on?
Speaker 4: Like even when I hear all I got is you and I spilled that into that like that a lot of times it just I don't even like to I never really performed that. Like I did it for John Rule one time, and it was like I had to, like I told him no, like you know what I mean, But he was like, y'all, come on, y'o, yo, yo, you know what I mean. And I did it though, like but because it's just brings back too much emotion. Yeah, of that, but I think but later on because even God Bless the death Fat Man School, he was like, yo, man, he said yo, when you did that, he said, yo, go show or my I cried.
Speaker 3: I cried because that's me cry and and I'm like mad. People told me that they cried when they heard that record.
Speaker 4: So I'm like it freaked not freaked me out, but it was like I had to look and be like, yo, you're making these people out here like a tears has literally falling out your face over something that I went like this. Then I start recognizing, like like what it was like the gift or what you know?
Speaker 3: Like I don't, I don't. I don't know, like you know what I mean, And.
Speaker 4: You know it just gets deep at the while, like when you think about it, like you.
Speaker 5: Always thought about wanted. How did your family feel about all that I got?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, asked them, you know what I mean? Ask and never asked them.
Speaker 4: I just did it because some the type that just do music and like this album, I might even listen to it. No more like I don't listen to them. I just do it and get it out the way I feel.
Speaker 2: I feel like I feel like sometimes you get there, you you mad, you emotional, the angry, do it and be like I'm done with this. That's how I feel with your music.
Speaker 4: I'm done with it. Yeah, I'm done with it. I'm done with it, like like you've gotta I gotta hear it over and over and over anyway. But yeah, man, it was it just it just it just be that that emotion. Man, like I don't know, like you know what I mean, the things I said, especially on that record, it felt like I gave people too much, you know what I mean, like too much, But it just came like that, you know what I mean. So it's there, it's out in the world. You can't do nothing about it, like yo, but but you know, people take it.
Speaker 3: Though.
Speaker 2: Do you miss the competitive nature of the group? Right the Wu Tang was was rocking and tight, right you know, if ODB comes with a verse like I gotta eat his verse, or mess come with a verse, you gotta eat that verse? Do you miss that element of it?
Speaker 3: Of course?
Speaker 4: Because even to right now, it's like if we all getting there, Oh, it's it's a challenge, you know what I mean. It's competitive. We're all trying to be better. Than what we want the best verse want it. He wants it, he wants it. So you're around a bunch of dogs in there that just want the same thing, you know what I mean. And and I remember back in those days, like yo, if you couldn't make it, Oh yo, you wasn't getting on you know what I mean? Brothers tall you like, Nah, that that's that's not it, you know what I mean. So we haven't did that in a minute, you know what I mean. Even if it was right now, I know a few brothers will get emotional or something like dude, you mean you telling me I can't get on that, you know what I'm saying. But that's just what it was like back then, Like yo, Like even myself, if Genius was on there like that and he and him and deck in him and it was crazy.
Speaker 3: I can't touch it. I can't. I can't.
Speaker 2: Who is the one that you was like, I gotta eat? That was always just coming to a ball madly.
Speaker 3: No, Nah, I know what you mean.
Speaker 4: I mean it was it was if I could do it, it was everybody. It was everybody like because you want that number one spot, like you know what I mean? But I knew we're not to touch too, like, no, Tom, you ain't got it right now, let that go?
Speaker 3: And that was it? Yeah?
Speaker 1: What record did you hear that on?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: What's the one you missed?
Speaker 1: I felt like Krirean. I always felt like been on cream.
Speaker 3: Not at that time, not at that time. No, they was just him and Deck.
Speaker 4: That Deck had two verses, mighty ones, and you know the other one to me was even better than that one.
Speaker 3: But really yeah, yeah he was saying something. He was he was really inspected for real real.
Speaker 1: So what happened with that other bird?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't think he put it out yet.
Speaker 4: Wow, I mean no, I mean yet, but I don't even he's gonna do it, you know what I mean? Something with some rubber bands, like wrapped in rubber bands. I gotta ask him about that again, like you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: But yeah, what was it again?
Speaker 1: With what record? Did you missed that? You felt like?
Speaker 2: Damn, I missed that one.
Speaker 4: I mean even when I did Cuban, you know, but I was on too much. So when Ray did ah Scarface, because I heard Scarface, it was like chumps, like because yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: And I was like because I wasn't there, so I'm like, yo, when did he do that one? Like yeah? But then Rizz was like, yo, nah, you're just too much. You're doing too much stuff like that.
Speaker 4: He needs some solo ones, so that one, and you know, I was there, we need.
Speaker 3: The spot Russians whatever the case may be.
Speaker 4: But uh yeah, like like that, but I know it was mega more tracks though, Like you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: What made y'all want to remix? Can it be also simple? I always think about it.
Speaker 4: I don't know if it was the if it was a label or whatever they called for the remix or maybe Rizz I'm not too sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so yeah, I like I liked that track right there too.
Speaker 5: I used to run around just screaming, Baggy Jean's wiould be closed, pretty women. I put it in him, shout up in him.
Speaker 3: Heard yeah, I'm telling you that.
Speaker 4: And those were the days though, those were the s I missed those days because when I used to hear like Biggie nas and like, it made me want to go right, And I can't even run home to go right no more, you know what I mean? Unless I'm hearing the locks. Is somebody that that I really like? That of my Piers that I could. You know, that's getting busy, you know what I mean. But nowadays it's really not like that. So a lot of times I don't even listen. I listen to more R and B than I do RAT you know what I mean, because it's really not there for me, Like like, yo, you just do it because you want to do it.
Speaker 1: Like you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: But I used to hear huh no, go ahead, Oh not now.
Speaker 4: I'm just saying though, like Brother's back, like the Mob albums or Noa's album drop. It was like, yo, I gotta go right, gotta go right. I miss those days.
Speaker 6: I was just gonna ask, even when we were talking about the song from twenty years ago, like what does inspire you now? Because you don't really get with a lot of the music now rat wise and R and B wise, though, what do you listen to where you're like, I want to go now that you want to go right after R and B?
Speaker 3: Yeah, like what R and B songs? I mean?
Speaker 4: You know you got I love Stevie, you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: So it's still the older R and B. It's nothing old R.
Speaker 4: And B and No and the Donelle Jones and all that, the jahiemes and all that, like I'll catch a few bars, but I'm hearing that I'll just catch bars like like like yo and be like yo, you know what I'm I'm gonna do one of these kind of tapes or whatever the case may be and just get it like like you know, but that's that's I love that, especially nineties.
Speaker 5: What's your favorite feature on the R and B record? Your your your personal favorite verse you spit on an R and B.
Speaker 3: Record, favorite verse or favorite record?
Speaker 1: Give me both? Then give me both.
Speaker 3: I never even looked at it like that before.
Speaker 1: You never thought about what your favorite.
Speaker 3: Don't don't be doing next? People ask me all the time, like, yo, what's your favorite? I got mad records?
Speaker 1: Mine is freaking you remixed with jobs?
Speaker 3: All right? That was?
Speaker 1: That was many ridiculous, man, You know what.
Speaker 3: You might be right now that you said it. That was I picked that one.
Speaker 2: That was a hard record.
Speaker 3: I picked that one.
Speaker 4: But the best one out that I that that that that I had like was the one I do with Beyonce.
Speaker 1: He made Summertime sound grimy summertime. But that freaking know that.
Speaker 4: One, My that's number one, didn't That's number one that's more than shade of me, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: But uh, yeah, no, we was in pocket with that.
Speaker 1: Where was you? What was the Tell me how that record happened?
Speaker 2: He was in the studio with those guys.
Speaker 1: We was in there, but y'all knew y'all was gonna do a record up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we was.
Speaker 4: Coming in there to do the remix whatever, you know what I mean. But I know that beat was that chunky though, you know what I mean. When we got in there and then he just put it on and it was just crazy in there. They was in here drinking that some red ship, some after shot ship, this ship after shot after Yeah, that's what I tell.
Speaker 3: You about some ship.
Speaker 4: So so I'm like, but there was Ben, you know what I mean, and he was just it was just on there.
Speaker 3: So just me and Ray. Ray caught his.
Speaker 4: Lines while he's catching his lines and catching my lines and showy show.
Speaker 3: We just went and did it like he did he laders. I laid minds and it just came out the way it just came out.
Speaker 5: And Yo, sit back, kick your feet up on the glass table, grab the remote, baby, check my niggas on cable. I got the hay Love Album plus Jodah said, roll it up, the Easy Riders and the Full Moons, conk weed up, all up in the room, you got the munchies, ice cold milk.
Speaker 3: And long the dunes.
Speaker 1: How you like it, baby?
Speaker 5: I like it on the sink you freak me but a long ma Oh my god, you study Islam, play it off.
Speaker 1: If my wife calls you and my cousin don. That was crazy, man.
Speaker 3: Yo, there's a dose with those days.
Speaker 1: Yo.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: It's something in the air at that time. Man, it was just it was just something. And then we was young, you know what I mean. So your mind is like it's open, it's like to whatever. It's just adapting to what.
Speaker 1: How did it feel performing it on Apollo?
Speaker 4: It's crazy, It's crazy. Yeah, we just it was a moment. See those as moments. Like the same thing when I did with Beyonce at the Witch you mulda call it at the Garden, I forgot my verse right before I went on, like I'm scared to death.
Speaker 1: Fuck, the building was shaken. I remember you say that on the dot yo.
Speaker 3: Nah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was like that, but I just forgot the verse, like like I knew it prior, but I just forgot it, like you know what I mean, slick rick over there throwing changed on and this and that and the third you know what I mean. But then I'm like, she's singing it already. It's like, Yo, I asked my manager, Yo, what's my verse? You know what I'm saying, Like you, Mike, he don't know, He's just a manager. I'm like, oh, snap, Like yo, I'm scared to death, like I don't want to do this in front of twenty thousand whatever it is. I start walking up those steps. I saw a dame dash like right there from this like looking down. He must have seen all the truck shuit, you know what I mean. He like, oh, I just seen his mouth say, oh shit, bone Bom is coming closer. But I'm scared, like what the but I gotta go out there. I don't you know what I mean. God just smacked me bow, yo, just like it just I just spit it up up just as soon as it was my turn for the verse.
Speaker 3: It's just like bow and that's and it was over.
Speaker 1: That was it, And that was that was at an official remix.
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: You did that on your own, right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Because my man charm La rock when I was doing pretty Chony album. He was out there was he was out he live out there, so he's like, yo, tone, like you know, Djack whatever, You're like, yo, Yo, I got this joint yours Beyonce joint like YO, played it for me fire, you know. I just went and later it immediately, and I gave it to God bless the Dad. Kate Slay gave it to him bawl and it was on from there. And I was still out there while I was getting played out here. So I came back from there at the like doing my thing, and it was was popping.
Speaker 2: Do you ever look back and really think about and take it all in the success of Wu Tang the biggest group that logo. I mean, we had Pete Davison here, he has he has a tattooed on them Superhero. But it's not only that it transcends through generations, Like it's not just fifty sixty you got thirty twenty year old teams that still know that logo and still you know y'all Walmart, like y'all, look, you ever look back and be like Jesus just yeah, some kids from Staten Island. It's just like we're gonna find a way.
Speaker 3: Old they hit you, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: I started seeing it like that when I when I got older, when I was young, you just in the mix.
Speaker 3: But when you look, when you try to put.
Speaker 4: Yourself on the outside looking in, it's like, yo, I didn't know it was gonna be like that.
Speaker 3: I just knew that we was coming in to do damage. I said, you ain't nobody playing with anybody.
Speaker 4: Anybody. We're just too ill like boom. But then at the while it just turned into some cold you.
Speaker 3: Know what I mean.
Speaker 4: And then you still hear like like I seened a lot of my favorite like like not old I like saying old school rappers, but you know that you once you look up to it's like, yo, we're still selling out, like like right now. And then my best year with these guys was like the tour that we just did like like like yo, like like you know what I mean, it's Matt thirty some years later. So but yeah, nah, it's a it's an amazing yo, man. And I say to myself, I'm like, yo, like I know there's people that went to the grave with that w you know what I mean, Like I be in Australia. One kid pulled down his pants. It was like yo, so whole thigh was on dirty fast his face like yo, nigga, you know what I mean? Like yo, and I'm like yo, wow, like like I'm just grateful. I'm just I'm just humbled to be a part of something that that's living when they said it was forever and you know, I guess the universe took it like that because I'm seeing.
Speaker 3: Like seven year old kids.
Speaker 4: It stands, you know what I mean, little ones even little more than that with shirts on.
Speaker 3: I'm like, damn, like it's still going, like you know what I mean. So I don't know.
Speaker 4: I'm just here to keep that flag, to raise the whatever flag I could raise, and just keep it the movement going.
Speaker 5: Like That's why it's so interesting that you drop a Supreme clientele two at a time like this, because back in two thousand, when you drop Supreme Clientele, there was a lot of people that was like yo, that saved the Wu Tang brand in a lot of ways, like really kept that flag held high. Did you feel that pressure when you were making it back then or you just were in a.
Speaker 3: It was just zoning out because you know, what happened.
Speaker 4: Remember how I be saying like yo, iron Man, was like they only gave me like a few months to get ahead and to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you bug it. Every time I say that, I'm like, oh, bugging you.
Speaker 3: No why I just rolled all over Cuba Lynx. I just rode.
Speaker 4: I just skated on it and to get ahead. And you know, I got rushed with a contract. I'm young, like you know what I mean. So it's like when you're gonna hit me with like four or five hundred thousand dollars, but I got to hurry up and do it in like like two months, like sixty they is something like that. It's like I had to make a decision, you know right then you know when you be like hold on gee, But that's that is that I took that, you know what I mean. But I was undepressed under the gun. And my best friend just he done got caught for something that a body that he even commit. It was dog diabetes is on you, you know what I mean. So it was just it wasn't you know, it was just it was gloomy for me. Then I'm shooting it out with the del phonics.
Speaker 1: It's just bad.
Speaker 2: This just going on.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying. It was just mad. It was just crazy. But I got to.
Speaker 4: Sit there and and and and try to try to get this thing done. So it was like only thing I really liked about it. It was a couple of songs put all I got is you you know what I mean. But the album cover was the private Fly seven album cover I ever did. But and that's that's it. But I'm just saying I stated on links right, But then it was like, Okay, I didn't you know, I wasn't satisfied. So when we got the Supreme Clientele, it was like, Okay, I had more, more time, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: More.
Speaker 4: I think I might have did like quick six months, real quick, if I'm not mistaken, then came back and finished it off rkers, But yeah, it was it was just it was just something that I knew that I always could do. Because at first I was going to name my first album, was gonna name that Supreme Clientele, you know what I mean. But they was like on iron Man which one? So I had to I asked Rizid Raiding. They just went with iron Man first Classic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't care what you say. I've heard you say that, I heard I drink Champs. I'm like, what classic record Wildflower cam made?
Speaker 5: Daytona five hundred nut Meg was on spreakline that's preme.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, but I get it. But it was just it was just me because it was just a spirit it was. It was kind of like dark and cloudy to me, like like even rap wise, I wasn't really like like like dead with it. I had to hurry up, and I don't like being rushed. So that's why I don't get deadlines no more. If I'm doing music, I don't want no deadline, like let me go.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: The first time I met Ghost, I was drunk as hell at a party. Some party went throwing. I ran upon him outside and started rapping wildflowers.
Speaker 3: I remember that. I remember that somewhere.
Speaker 5: Your bit your friend, stay hold, I see you on the helipade, honey grab I.
Speaker 4: Can't go, And you did tell me back then, yo yo, my favorite rap whatever man exactly. Now, I respect that respect. Sometime I write a couple of bars, a couple of songs, and I might think, like I might think of you, like you know what I mean, Like I wonder what he gonna think about this, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like, yo, like you know what I'm saying. So nah, that's love right there. Though.
Speaker 5: You know in the in the press release for the Supreme clientele Too, it says a real rap, no gimmicks. Right, It's like you don't like you don't like gimmicks and rap?
Speaker 3: What do you say?
Speaker 5: I saw a press release it was like this Supreme Client Teller is about real Supreme Clint tell twos about real rap, no gimmicks.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, but when you will walk when you had the.
Speaker 5: Stocking mask on back in the right right and you were a ghost Face killer, did you consider that a gimmick?
Speaker 3: No? I ain't, No, I wasn't even thinking like that. It well, just like yo, it was his ghost face.
Speaker 4: It was like you know where I got the name from mystery a chest boxing, you know what I mean, the god It was ghost Face, the ghost Face Killer. You know, he came back after twenty years and just started like doing what he do. But I just felt, for some reason at that time, I thought that name applied to me, you know what I mean. So you know I threw the mask on, you know what I mean. But I took the masks off. I took the mask off because I didn't really have no other masses like I had stocking.
Speaker 3: Cap on, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: So it's like, you know, you can't really wrap all day with a cat on like that, so you couldn't breathe you heard. So I'm like, yo, now this got to go, man, you know what I mean. But you know, as time went on, like now, you know they got things like that where you can throw a mask on it, you know, do what you want to. If I would have kept that mask on.
Speaker 5: It, that made your mythical figures even back then, because you know, you be talking like, yo, it was wrong with ghost face.
Speaker 1: People like y'all think his face is just figured.
Speaker 3: Run yeah, run and all that. I heard all that, you know what I mean. It was just it was just ghost face.
Speaker 1: That's what you wanted to do.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: During the recent interview, there was always a room in New York that that puff Banjohn from radio. That was a big rumor for years and years and years, right, and you kind of confirmed that.
Speaker 3: So that was true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, like you don't know you was a DJ.
Speaker 2: I didn't work I was I didn't work that during that time I was.
Speaker 4: Yo now because yeah, Rizzie was telling us. He was like, yo, he said, yeah, Puff admitted to it, like it was talking, and I think rizz asked him the question and Puff agreed to.
Speaker 3: It, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: And I'm like, because it was just like after that hot ninety seventh thing, it just went, haywhy it just went Things just went down like it was.
Speaker 3: It ain't even fail right, no more and and and.
Speaker 4: If Puff did that, that was a nice chance move, you know what I mean, because he told Rizzy he said, yo. But y'all was just too like coming up. You know, hold on, did Dirty did that? Did Dirty do that?
Speaker 3: Before that? Or that was after Dirty? They had the Grammys he did it? That was after after after.
Speaker 1: He did that? Had to be like ninety eight after I think it.
Speaker 3: Was all right?
Speaker 4: So we did Forever in ninety seven, right right, Yeah, Yo nominated for Album of the Year.
Speaker 5: It was no way out Life after Death? Who tang Forever? I forgot what else was in that category?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: So yeah, so he was like yo, he said something like yo. Puffer is like saying that, yo, y'all was I.
Speaker 3: Guess we was this competition, you know, what I mean.
Speaker 4: And yeah, and it just was on that that time right there, so we they banned us. I guess we should have just stayed on and raised against the machines.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying, Well, how did that make y'all feel back then when you saw, like even now, but when you saw all of those white.
Speaker 1: People embraced war tank, y'all was so pro black still now though.
Speaker 3: White people started coming, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I always think I think about that, and I just think that might have been the knowledge we I mean, first of all, you got non members we up there, like earth Wind and fire Man. Everybody is just different, unique in their own way, and I don't think I don't think they probably ever seen nothing like that. It didn't especially when you got brothers speaking the truth, and you.
Speaker 3: Know, like like like like like.
Speaker 4: The people, when you hear the truth, you become attracted to that, you know what I mean, and everything else.
Speaker 3: So it's I think it's a few things.
Speaker 4: That that, uh, that got the whole world just to just to come in, not just blacks, Latinos and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: So yeah, man, it's funny because when we go overseas.
Speaker 4: It's like it's like mania, Oh shit, like inga you get more I say, more love, but it's it just feels like they just on it.
Speaker 2: You said, you made more money in the last couple of years than you made before. Torn right with the new group? Well with with this group. I know there's always problems with the group. Would y'all consider keep going on to it because y'all made more than y'all ever made, And I know sometimes the groups is the most difficult thing.
Speaker 3: Everybody got to schedule.
Speaker 2: Everybody got an emotion of feeling right with that continue to happen with what's your thoughts on it?
Speaker 4: I mean, I think so you know what I mean, Like when when Rizza said he said he said, he said, like a couple of years ago, Yo, we're gonna do this Vegas thing and then we're gonna we're gonna just uh uh through through a char Then we entered it.
Speaker 3: Off right there. But then it like that's it just flew by.
Speaker 4: So when he was up here telling y'all, like, yo, that shit was a shocking to me, Like hold on, we're talking about bro, you know what I mean? And you know, final chapter this and that and the third and I'm like I ain't here about that.
Speaker 3: I ain't know that it's right now, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: I know it's right now, like like yo, so but in my heart, in my heart, I feel like we still got more to give.
Speaker 3: But I don't. I don't think it's over over, But.
Speaker 4: I just didn't understand the fact of like yo, like damn, the final chapter. It's like nigga, we're still selling out right regardless, like like like you didn't have to call it that, you know what I'm saying, or that's just something else like like you know, and but you know, whatever it was, it was beautiful.
Speaker 6: Have y'all talked that all. Have y'all talked that all about continuing after this final tour?
Speaker 4: That was because when we left that last to everybody was like peal, we mean you know what I mean, just everybody just went I think we might got some dates coming up in Europe probably that they're trying to do it whatever, but not to really be like yo, all right, where we're going from where we're.
Speaker 3: Going from here? You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: But like I said, to my heart, I feel like we're gonna I feel it ain't it. I mean when you got Bruce Springsteen and these Beatle Cats still going and sharing all these.
Speaker 3: It's like, nigga, what money, go get that ship.
Speaker 2: But I got so many records together solo, like y'all be on stage for four hours.
Speaker 3: Yeah we do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it'd be hard to pick sometime from the records from like that or whatever.
Speaker 3: Then you got some brothers with less records.
Speaker 4: That's like, yo, now you can't do all that because you know what I mean, these guys gotta you know, whatever whatever, So it always be like that. That's one thing about us though, like we can never make a straight decision.
Speaker 3: It's too many, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: You know mean I want to bring a white ferry couch. I don't stead do all this then, yo, come on, No, we got a step of wardrobe, but yo, we can't be out here looking like we ninety three, like back in ninety two, miss and that and the third Yo, I seen them. I seen Bell BIV devoing them. Matter of fact, the whole new addition at New Orleans that.
Speaker 2: Yo, flies they changed their outfits together.
Speaker 4: Yes, like yo, that's supposed to be us and telling Ray like yo, look look look boom, you know what I mean but then when you bring it back to the guys, they'd be excited, but then it's like, nine, nigga, I'm not throwing that on this SNA and the thirst. So I'm like, once you get three and four saying they're not doing it, the whole idea is.
Speaker 3: A rat oh.
Speaker 5: I felt like w Tang and New Addition were like like cousins because when you look at Wu Tang and you look at New Addition, there they both essentially did the same thing. You can't name a group where damn that every member had individual success like that, Like they come together in a group of success, but then they break apart and do BBD and.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: They'll had conversations about that.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: I wanted to go on to roll with them, you know what I mean, Like, Yo, let's see how that'll go, you know what I mean. But yeah, we never really like I mean, I know, I wasn't in the conversation.
Speaker 5: It was though, you know, you know the onest thing about Wu Tang. I read all of y'all books, right, I read Ray book, I read your book. You got y'all was so deep in the street. But that's not what y'all put out there in the music, y'all chose to talk about the lessons and you know, talk about God and like give people something of substance. Was that intentional because y'all could have been the stream superstreet rappers if y'all wanted to.
Speaker 4: I think in all reality, I think with us, I think we just I mean, I mean, besides the street stuff and stuff, I think we just respectful.
Speaker 3: We just good dudes. Man. That that when we were.
Speaker 4: Young, you know, you were surrounded by a bunch of not a bunch, but you know certain people that was intelligent, that was giving you mathematics and hit trying to gud you in the right direction, you know what I mean. And then you know, butang is like like mainly all god body, you know what I mean. So when you when you want to bus traveling, you know, when the lessons start getting pulled out and this and that and the third it.
Speaker 3: Just it just shapes you, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: So a lot of that like my seeds run with his seeds, married his money, you know what I mean, All that is like part of that. It's just it's just it just it just when your mom was that like and you know, and you know we didn't that we mix it up with that, mix it up with that, you know, you know, but yeah, for the most part, that's you know.
Speaker 5: Did you ever did y'all ever have conversations about Yeah, we could rap about bussing our guns.
Speaker 1: We could rap about.
Speaker 5: People, I know y'all do, but not like the overglorification of people like now like nowadays you got people that just leave with that.
Speaker 1: And probably yeah.
Speaker 3: Nah nah man, We just we just we just do what we do, bro this, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Whatever, if that track is like that, if it calls for certain a little bit of that, whatever, whatever, you know what I mean, we throw frough that in there, hit him with this and with that, and you know, a couple of lines, you know, you got risk in them. They is like a doctor, bro, you know what I mean. So that's why his dogs be like all scientifical, you know what I mean, even genius like you know what I mean. That's why you know when I was saying like yo, nas and genius is like my favorite rapper is like yo, it's like, you know, he's smart.
Speaker 3: He's a genius for real real.
Speaker 4: So it's like and I learned a lot from them, you know what I mean so from all of them mainly, but yeah, he's just one that really sticks out.
Speaker 3: Like if I had his words and ship it'll be different.
Speaker 1: That's crazy.
Speaker 3: His words, like his vocal.
Speaker 4: I was a school I ain't really listen, you know what I mean, Like you know what I mean, it was just I'm in school. But but the vocabulary, if the vocabulary was more, it'll be trouble.
Speaker 5: Have you ever heard yourself man talking about I'm talking about im?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like damn, it's like it's just on another level. And how I look at rap, It's like I just I don't know, KENNI. It's just a certain way how I see it. So I know, like if I was just throwing around the words that when he be throwing around like that but putting it applying to how I do.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's just this this this my head would be a field day.
Speaker 1: Damn, heav prase coming from you. Man. Come on, man, when you look at.
Speaker 5: The documentaries and the TV shows about Wu Tang, do you feel Hollywood has ever told the full story?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: No? I mean basically not not for the Hulu series, you know what I mean? I mean, not for me. I can't speak for that.
Speaker 4: I can't speak on that for me, Like the Tony Starks story, you know what I mean. I didn't get a chance to tell nobody my story, like my side, you know what I mean. But you know, whatever is it had did or whoever was the writers for that, whatever the case may be, you know what they did what they had to do, like you know what I mean. And I'm glad he did it because it just opened us up to like a whole new audience.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 4: But yeah, but my side of the story it's different, Bro's it's different.
Speaker 3: So I didn't I don't feel like they did that, not with me.
Speaker 5: Why didn't you get to get to the studio to get on the Heaven Record man on j Z Magna Carta.
Speaker 3: Studio.
Speaker 1: I thought you was supposed to be on the Heaven Record with Ja.
Speaker 3: He he did. I think I might have. I think I might have did that. He didn't.
Speaker 4: Maybe maybe I think I think you remember, right, I remember writing to it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And I don't know if they use it or maybe I didn't. I can't remember.
Speaker 4: Maybe I didn't.
Speaker 3: Maybe you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: He didn't make it or he wrote and he didn't use it.
Speaker 1: Didn't make it?
Speaker 3: Is it not? He make it? Did I write it?
Speaker 2: You got to beat Ray Ray? Ray was on his way up there to and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Didn't make it. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't remember what happened, but I know you didn't make it up there.
Speaker 1: I remember shooting to go up there.
Speaker 2: I think Ray made it up there.
Speaker 3: You didn't make it up. Did they do it?
Speaker 1: No, not on that record?
Speaker 4: They on it unless you right, oh yeah, man.
Speaker 5: But always the first time I ever heard Heaven, I'm like, yo, this sounds like a rhythm beat. And you know, Jay started off on hand. I was like, yo, ghost and Ray would have been crazy on it on.
Speaker 4: I caught bars to it though, right, You never went up You never made Oh okay, I know I did something to it. Yeah, all right, cool?
Speaker 5: Because I always I always wanted to hear you and Jay on the record to do it again video when you and Cap and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, No.
Speaker 4: I always wanted to get busy with Jay, you know what I mean? But you know, j J, I guess what makes you not show up to the studio.
Speaker 3: I don't know what I was doing that day, I don't I don't I don't. I don't. I can't. I really can't remember. But it was. It was something though, But I would have did it, Duff I was writing to it. I would have did it. I don't know. One of those. I don't know, man, I just you know, damn.
Speaker 1: Well goes gotta go.
Speaker 3: Hold on.
Speaker 5: If Ghosts never picked up a microphone, where do you think Dennis Coles would be right now?
Speaker 3: I don't say that. It probably wouldn't be good. It wouldn't be good.
Speaker 4: It wouldn't be good because we was out there doing it. We was out there still, you know, I mean I was, I mean riginally had to tell me, like, yo, listen, man, you can't really you can't mix park with beef bro.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean. I'm hearing what you're.
Speaker 4: Doing that whatever, whatever, whatever, whatever. And I had to make a decision, you know what I mean. So that route that I was in, it was, Yeah, it was even in jail dance somewhere or whatever. Whatever the streets would have been calling for. That's what it would have been. That's why I say it wasn't mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Let's get into a joint off down what you want to hear?
Speaker 5: Go, you want to do rap, Kingpin, you want to do the joint with meth You you're my friend.
Speaker 1: What you want to do, what you want to.
Speaker 3: I mean you can do both. I forget, dude, do that. Didn't do that?
Speaker 1: You got to hear the pause? Get too on?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah yeah yeah, hold on no, because yeah, man, the pauses and pauses. It's like yo, yo, I'll begetting here with the pause like yo, and you know we for the ever when we just talked talk like.
Speaker 1: Yo, were'sday.
Speaker 2: I'm ten songs that I hear that yet.
Speaker 1: But you hit the pause.
Speaker 4: Get no, when you get when you hit the albums all the way straight through, you'd be like, oh snap, yo, this is gliding that poor skit. I had to do it because it's like yo, heybody pausing me like you know this is you know what I'm.
Speaker 3: Saying, like this, how talk?
Speaker 1: Bro?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean? Like yo, like I said when I told y'all blow your head off. Yeah but I'm serious, Yeah you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: But Yo, it got the pause game is too much right now. I don't even think I ever told somebody pause like Paul, you know what I mean. But but I've been going at it all the time with the I mean like, Yo, he's crazy man. Yeah, man, I can't write my rhymes like the engineer telling me because he's younger than me. Yo, Yo, Yo, I don't think that's a good you know what I mean. I mean what you're talking about.
Speaker 3: You don't mean that's that's good nigga. This is my ship.
Speaker 4: I'm talking like this, yo, But you know this, And then he got me thinking, you know what I mean? So now I gotta change it up like I'm not used to that.
Speaker 1: Yo said.
Speaker 5: Now, we let you live for a long time. You know, back in the day, you said, Yo, we eat fish and toss salice.
Speaker 4: Make you know what I mean, that's a fresh salad, fresh house. You know we call tors house back then, fred y'all. But I mean, I'm a jail nigga. Just now in the third I got doing that. We gonna do that just continued from right there, tho. But yo, may yo, Now it's it's the game is crazy, man.
Speaker 5: I appreciate your brobs out right now, Coach face, Jap City, hold on my brother Dridge right here, we can do this compilation is jap City.
Speaker 3: Yeah, more King, pull up, you're in the Club right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we got that Yap City compilation coming up next, so we just want you to look out for that.
Speaker 3: We got sole Thing on the album as well. Yeah, definitely definitely artists. Yeah yeah, that's the label. Go Sade and Supreme to the Sole Thing. And we got talking about the record, sohol things. But that's that's that's all of you know, him, Wreak, the Villain, Pills.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, we got Busy, my two sons on there, you know what I mean, Nim's you know, Iceman, Bronxman, you know, yeah, the whole yeah, ill, yeah, he's up, he's a he's he's talking about.
Speaker 3: That on the record. Record on the red Yeah yeah yeah, but hold on.
Speaker 5: She on the label too, absolutely, yeah, picked up that album's Face Killer.
Speaker 1: It's the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 2: Good morning, hold up.
Speaker 5: Every day waiting, click your glass up The Breakfast Club finished.
Speaker 1: Y'all done