Speaker 1: Hey, folks, bella chow bella chow bella chow child chow. In this jam packed final vacation episode from Italy, Robot and I endure a hilarious robbery attempts. Also, I now know what it's like to date a vampire for reasons I don't understand. Robot curses like crazy in every Catholic church she enters. And do you know the difference between shorts, jean shorts, Bermuda shorts, board shorts and shorts? Why Eat, Pray Love is now my favorite book I've never read in my favorite movie I've never seen. Plus, white ladies are on the menu in Rome and I ordered one right in front of Robot last night, And folks, it finally happened. Robot, in a moment of frustration, snapped at me on this vacation. Wow, and coming back as a married couple was awfully tempting. And with all of that, welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ. Robes. Let's stood out to you there.
Speaker 2: I love how you surprised me in these intros. I never quite know what you're gonna say, and I think that's by design, obviously.
Speaker 1: But that was a lot.
Speaker 2: There were a couple of disease in there.
Speaker 1: Does that was our vacation. There was a lot to happen.
Speaker 2: We took notes a lot. No, you took notes. I was impressed everything that happened. You were like, wait, I'm I'm not texting anyone, I'm just making notes for the podcast. And you did that quite often over the last few days, which was very cool. I was like, you know it because you forget moments that happened along the way, but you were documenting so that we could give a very full picture of what this vacation has been like.
Speaker 1: Again, the last couple of episodes, we've talked about what's going on back home, but you know what, for fun and shits and giggles, we're going to talk about what's been happening with us here. And so this happened to us last night. Let's since we've been here. I New York is you know, you got to keep your eye on your stuff in New York, but here it's in another level to where everyone it seems like we ran into was warning us, yes, hold on to your bag, your phone, you be aware.
Speaker 2: Everywhere we went. The only English they could speak was to say, watch out for your bag, like, be careful about your purse. They were very aware that the pickpocketers were everywhere and on the loose, and I was like, really, I've been here and I just never felt that threat. But yet last night we had this was hilarious and I didn't even know. I wouldn't even know I would have had my stuff stolen. Probably.
Speaker 1: Okay, I guess I'm the one in our relationships that's the one with the head on the swivel all the time, always, and that was the case last night. Now I'm usually looking how.
Speaker 2: But this time it worked out for pick potter.
Speaker 1: It's hard to put people in in in the context of what we were experiencing last night. We were sitting outside to have dinner in kind of an empty space, so you had a lot of options where you wanted to sit. And someone came and sat up right next to us last night, and it raised my opera.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she didn't look like the others. And then she didn't two with the others, well, the other people who would have been at the restaurant, And she didn't go through a concierge or any sort of like mad er d. She just walked like from the street. And then just sat right next to me.
Speaker 1: It didn't harm you though I didn't even know.
Speaker 2: She's situational awareness is not at the level of yours is.
Speaker 1: Would you argue that it's gone down even lower because you know mine is at a height. I am so aware of everything. You don't even look both ways before a crossing.
Speaker 2: The street when we're thank you baby, because I'm gonna just give. And this is how much I trust you. This is my trust for you. It's true if I were alone, I would have acted much differently and I would have felt much differently. But knowing that you had my back, like seriously, and I don't know that I've ever leaned into anyone the way, like just almost emotionally and situationally, I lean into you. I'm like he's got me, and it's one of the I'm bringing my feminine energy to the relationship. Say what you want to say about that. But I actually feel myself being different than I've been before because when I've been traveling as a journalist and I'm on my own, I have a female producer, which was often the case, I have been on guard. My heirs are like I am in charge. But it's funny when i'm with you, I feel myself falling into a traditional female role and I feel myself feeling safe with you, and then I like that I do like you. I hate to admit it. I'm going to be honest, but I'm going to be honest and say I like it. And I'm like, he's got me, he's watching out for us, he's looking and so I have I like. It's funny because I think with you, you are Oh my god, I think you're like the You're the first person I just I let my guard down because I know your guard is up.
Speaker 1: Your guard was so down last night. Because this one when comes and sits and it's hard to describe. I mean it's two feet from us, three feet maybe, but she's sitting right next to you.
Speaker 2: I mean our feet could have played foot.
Speaker 1: Seas yea easily. And so to your right there about foot seas. She there's a little intimate two seat table next to us. We're in a two seat table sitting outside. Everything's right, So we have our bag with or whatever we had bought.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then my jacket, your.
Speaker 1: Jacket, your per we're under the table. Actually tucked them under there for that reason. So this woman comes and she sits right. That doesn't make any sense. Why there's so many options. There's no way you would pick the table right.
Speaker 2: It's like when you're in an elevator, you're going to go to the other side of the elevator. You're not going to go stand right next to the person. So yes, she came and sat right next to us when there were a raw of other tables to sit at.
Speaker 1: So I am now I recognize it, and I'm looking at robes and I start saying, what hey, babe, I don't know how long I'm gonna let this play out, but there's almost trying to rob us.
Speaker 2: In my mind, I was like, what what woman? I don't even know what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: So the woman actually was trying to with her foot move her foot from under her table to under our table and slide robox, purse or maybe the things we just bought over to her side. So this goes on. I'm talking like at least two minutes to where I'm looked like ropes. I don't know how long I'm to let this go are our waiter comes over and he's taking an order, and she's waiting for us to be distracted and the whole time, like you go ahead and order that.
Speaker 2: You said you order that, and you kept your eyes straight on the slode, and it was amazing.
Speaker 1: I wasn't staring at her, but it was just I knew what she was doing. It was kind of hilarious.
Speaker 2: You actually wish that you had let it longer. I want to see where she was going to take this.
Speaker 1: Yes, but so eventually I don't know what her English, how much she understood, but we were being very plain and simple.
Speaker 2: You were having to overtly explain to me what was going on, and I was like, oh, that woman like right there behind me, so I think she heard, and she knew enough English to know that she was outed.
Speaker 1: But she got up and started banging, like she's.
Speaker 2: Pissed that we now know she was trying to steal our stuff. So she gets up, You're right. She banged at least two tables and then banged a like a barricade that was there as she was leaving, like like, f y'all, you didn't let me steal your shit. It was really funny. It was dramatic.
Speaker 1: So that was last night, and we were actually going back to that place tonight because this is so good.
Speaker 2: The food was best food ever, actually going.
Speaker 1: That we've been there all these this time. The best place we found was just last night and we're going back there.
Speaker 2: It's a two minute walk this evening.
Speaker 1: But I said, I now know what it's like to date a vampire. Now there's history on every single block, like there's a Starbucks on every single block in New York. It's incredible. I don't care what you It doesn't matter if you where you're from, what your religion is, if you are religious, what race. The history here is just incredible on every single block. And a part of that beauty is Basilica's as you like to say. But the churches, but the churches here are unbelievable, But every single one, Robot, I'm not saying you're not a I would never characterize you as a potty mouth ever. I'd never say she curses like a sailor ever. But I have been shocked at every time we have walked into a church in Rome.
Speaker 2: Do I drop the F bomb?
Speaker 1: You have cursed more than I have ever heard you.
Speaker 2: Because that's so sad and amazing. It's embarrassing because I'm so blown away, and maybe that's my go to to describe something that I don't have words for.
Speaker 1: Okay, I wrote, and I told you and taking notes. No, no, no, I'm not dogging you for this. I'm not knocking you. But you walked into I think we went into one church today. I can't remember twenty one. I think we only went into one today. But you walked in and this was the exact quote.
Speaker 2: Doesn't even know what this is.
Speaker 1: First we step into the church. Now these are the first words out of her mouth. Holy, this is beautiful. Now that's a compliment, it is, but it's so I actually cannot remember you being profane on this trip at all. And except for the parts we the first moment we step into a church, you say, holy fucking ship. Oh my, it's something. So here's the deal. Like we know all of the like obviously St. Peter's Basilica, you know the big tourist attractions. I would argue when you go to Rome, every corner, every street there is a basilica. There is this unbelievable, gorgeous church dedicated to Christ and God, all inspiring every single one, and.
Speaker 2: You like there's not even a tourist in there. You're like, you have the church to yourself and you're like, this isn't even on the map on the trip Advisor like places to visit. I just stumbled into this basilica and it is church I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: I have never in my life paid for a tour of something that was better than walking freely into a church here in Rome is at It's incredible.
Speaker 2: It's architecturally, it's remarkable, and I actually felt spiritually moved. Look I I have I have said I was raised Catholic. I am no longer practicing, practicing Catholic, but my grandparents all were very devout Catholic, Like my grandmother was the last one to actually decide to become a Catholic, but the rest of them were born that way. And I felt compelled in this church we were in today, this basilica. I just they have candles. Everyone whose Catholic knows you put a little offering into like a little coin into an area, and then you light a candle for someone who's passed on. And so I lit candles for each of my grandparents, and you know, whatever you believe, I just felt emotional in the moment. It felt like a beautiful place to do it. It was a really cool moment for me, and it was a special day for me today and it was awesome to be I lit for candles for all of my grandparents and it was I'm like, that was like one of my favorite parts of this entire trip.
Speaker 1: Today was a completely unplanned and special day. And that we ended up in the ghetto and a lot of people, when you say Rome, if you've been around, been here. We ended up in the ghetto, and they continue to refer to as that. But the Jewish ghetto and the history there of where this no neighborhood and the Jewish community was essentially enclosed. This is where you have to be and have to stay and to see some of the I don't know what would you describe it as. There's some there's a proud herriage and history there now in a community there. Yeah that we got to hang out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they called the Jewish Quarter officially now, but I think most people reckon, Like you can even look it up on your Google maps or whatever, like there's even restaurants that regard the Jewish Ghetto. They called it that.
Speaker 1: So there's whatever ghetto.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes it is not a Jewish ghetto, Jewish Jewish quarter, but It's one of those parts of Rome that not everyone knows about, but it is so special and it is so cool, and we had an incredible time there with the food, the culture. There is a colisseum like theater that was commissioned by Caesar something Tiatro, and it.
Speaker 1: Was one of the coolest things I've seen, Like.
Speaker 2: The colisseum, but it's not and there are apartments above it. People live above this amazing structure. Yeah, you said that that was better for you than the coliseum.
Speaker 1: Actually that was a qu to think that something was built two thousand years ago and one day, one a d someone is residing in it. Yes, that's just incredible.
Speaker 2: It's remarkable.
Speaker 1: So that's that's what this city is. There's history on every single block.
Speaker 2: You turn a corner and you are inspired by Actually, I've said even like if there was no cameras or whatever modern thing might be there, a scooter or something. If you remove that, this could be any point in time. It could be before Christ, it could be just and it could be biblical times. And you're here right now and you're experiencing it and seeing the incredible art and architecture that was left behind. It really, especially as an American. I feel like, you know, we're so young and so new. But to see what people are still using and enjoying two thousand years later from people who were smart enough and figured out how to create these incredible structures without modern technology or machinery, it's amazing.
Speaker 1: And again we you know, I want to go into Trinity Church in downtown in our neighborhood again, because every single church here is older than that one. Yeah, the oldest church in Manhattan is brand new compared to everything we have.
Speaker 2: Seen here, like significantly brand new.
Speaker 1: It is remarkable. Oh, it's so cool. So no matter what, and we you and I talked about this and the type of vacations you like were signing like I don't like planning trips and museum trips and then doing touristy quote unquote thing.
Speaker 2: And we went to Florence and you didn't want to see David.
Speaker 1: I mean, what do you want to do?
Speaker 2: I mean, that's fine, but that's just who you mean. It's cool. I get it, you got a lot of cool leather.
Speaker 1: But you said I had to stand in line to go see a famous penis correct.
Speaker 2: I mean it's a statue, it's a sculpture by Michelangelo.
Speaker 1: But yes, I guess that is a really rudimentary way to describe it.
Speaker 2: But that is essentially is probably the most famous part because it's on Aprons.
Speaker 1: And TJ standing line around our hour and a half. So you can go see a famous penis.
Speaker 2: Okay, I hadn't thought about it like that, but now that you do, I mean I hear it as I had already seen it. I was fine. I was like, okay, but I'm telling you because.
Speaker 1: You you to the world to see famous penises.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so.
Speaker 1: Wowsating. I actually have more questions. No, there's no truth, okay, but no, I'm night. Florence was actually fun. Florence Naples, Rome. We have we a big part of our vacation, you know what I say. It's a big part of our vacation. It's a big part of our lives to just sit outside outdoor dining and people watch.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's my our favorite thing to do.
Speaker 1: Okay, A big part of our people watching on vacation has to do it. And y'all got to help me. You know, guys who are listening, women who are listening, please help me. Here shorts shorts Okay, So robes give me a hard time. So there's okay, I just see everybody and say, okay, they were in shorts. But there's shorts, and then there's something called gene shorts. Was I thought were just shorts that were made of denim, but she's telling me that's not the case.
Speaker 2: Shorts.
Speaker 1: Then there's something else that she calls Bermuda shorts, which we will get into. But then there's something else called board shorts. Yeah, they're different from the Bermuda shorts. And then there's something that we call jorts, jorts, which I'm told are actually different from gene shorts and different from regular shorts. I am lost cargo shorts. Well, I get cars. I know what cargo pants are.
Speaker 2: So it is with the extra pocket. I'm saying, don't number of ways you can describe different kinds of shorts.
Speaker 1: But the thing I'm running into is shorts, jeane shorts and shorts. Why are not all shorts that are made of denim called jorts?
Speaker 2: I know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: For actually a couple of years, We've had.
Speaker 2: This conversation actually far too often on this trip. But my personal opinion, and anyone can argue with me, is that georts are shorts that are jeans denim that are fine, fine, fine, fine, they're almost to the knee. You can roll them up. They could be cut off, but they're essentially around the knee area.
Speaker 1: Okay, wait, whoa, So you're telling me Georges has nothing to do with whether it's a gene.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a gene. What you're saying it has to be a link. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So if I'm wearing a denim short that is at my thigh, what is that called jean shorts?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And then if they're really really like near your butt, they're either daisy dukes or they're cut off shorts.
Speaker 1: But if a man wears a short that is a denim short above the thigh, what do you call that jean shorts? Okay, y'all see what I'm dealing with, and we.
Speaker 2: Do is con And then so every person that walks by TJ's like, what do you call those shorts? What do you call those shorts? This has been a big part of our vacation, you know what vacation me saying what length or what the name is of the shorts that people are wearing. But I will say it's been my experience that in Europe. Whatever's happening here trend wise is in America the next year. So I've already started to see it, see it, But I know that's great. I've already started to see it.
Speaker 1: Would you like me to refer all nice refill that not pearl spreads.
Speaker 2: I feel like this is a that's a fair turnaround perfect Yep, that was fair. But I feel like whatever we see in Europe a year later becomes fashion.
Speaker 1: In We were here last summer and the George thing you told me make it to the US.
Speaker 2: Seen it, I've seen it. I feel like you're going to see more of it, and the next year it's going to be everywhere. It takes like a year or two for whatever is happening in Europe to make its way to the United States.
Speaker 1: And we're recording this now on the last night that we're going to be in Europe, and we are probably going to go have dinner to night at a restaurant we just discovered on our next to last night here, and we discovered it and we have been drinking. What would you argue April spreads April spreads Moretti Parretti, Parretti, Parni. I never there's prosecco. You've been going after a little bit. But last night there was a drink on the menu at this place we went to and it was one of my favorite moments actually here in Italy. And the water he was my favorite, actually person we have that with. He's my favorite water we had since we've been here. And there was a drink on the menu that had it was gin. It was lemon and quantro I think, and it came into martini glass, that's what it was.
Speaker 2: But it was called what the White Lady.
Speaker 1: It was called the White Lady, so it actually sounded good in the ingredients. But I was very excited about ordering this from this guy.
Speaker 2: You were so good at it too, Because I think we've mentioned this in a previous podcast. TJ never tells me what he's going to order, but I will say, oh, this was actually a fun development in this trip. I feel like TJ, you have been more than I've ever seen before willing to collaborate on an appetizer.
Speaker 1: Salads only, but baby please or salads.
Speaker 2: So exciting, Okay, it's been so exciting.
Speaker 1: Look excited.
Speaker 2: Because you were like I'll eat that with you. I was like, you will, So we have actually ordered appetizers together. This is a huge development in our relationship. Huge development.
Speaker 1: It's not gonna it's not going to translate across the poast because.
Speaker 2: I've just felt like I felt like I was a part of it, like we could share something. It was really cool. So we've had like shared savice, shared salads, you've shared, You've shared like a pre say with me, you actually collaborated on an appetizer with me, I'm telling you, in two years, this is the biggest development of our relationship.
Speaker 1: Of our dining out relationship.
Speaker 2: Felt huge to me. I'm acknowledging it now. We even talked about this, I'm telling you now. I was like, oh my god, I think he's in this, Like I think I think he really wants this to.
Speaker 1: Work because I'm now coordinating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it felt it did feel like that. It felt collaborative in a way that it happened before.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I didn't expect it to be that fun.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I'm sorry. So the drinks, we don't usually collaborate because it doesn't matter, you can, yeah whatever. I ordered a prosecco and he goes, I'll have the White Lady. It was amazing. It was so perfect. I had no idea. You've never ordered a drink. You usually ordered beer or an april sprits or a market specific There's things that I.
Speaker 1: Know not order off of a restaurant drink. I have never heard.
Speaker 2: You order a not only a drink, a specific drink to a restaurant, but like one that's named seeing like.
Speaker 1: I've never heard you do that, he said, And his response was amazing. He just he got it. It took him a second, but he loved it.
Speaker 2: He laughed, and that I belly laughed. I was that was That was my favorite part of yesterday.
Speaker 1: I ended up ordering a second one and maybe they were good.
Speaker 2: They were good.
Speaker 1: They were good. It was it was gin. It was quantroe and lemon juice that happened together. It's called a white Lady here in Italy, so if you come.
Speaker 2: Here, consider it. It's better than an aperol spreads.
Speaker 1: Apparently, let's not come up with the name of the movie we were just watching on Netflix because we were laughing so hilariously. No, no, no, let's not do that. But there's so many movies about that are romanticized Rome Italy and what is you come here?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 1: Women? Right? You come here and you're finding yourself. You own an adventure. Yes, n I did not know Eat Pray Love. You've been talking to me about a lot about it. I've never seen that the book. I've never read the book.
Speaker 2: But Elizabeth Gilbert, she's amazing.
Speaker 1: Okay, So here's the thing. I know how much that movie means to culturally, how much it has meant, and a part of it is about women finding themselves or or or you know, No, let me let you do that. I'm sorry, I was about to say the wrong thing.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I wasn't saying you were saying the wrong thing.
Speaker 1: No, I know you weren't. But I'm saying what that movie represents and that story represents.
Speaker 2: For I can only I can only speak for myself with Eat Pray Love and Elizabeth Gilbert. Like for me, I just picked the book up in a airport and I started reading it, and I felt immediately connected to it, as I think so many women did.
Speaker 1: Why why why? Why why?
Speaker 2: Because she was admitting things that people don't admit, Like we've talked about this about like Instagram perfection and my life is great and oh you see me with my husband and my beautiful child and my beautiful home and everything's great, and oh you don't have that. That must be hard for you. But when you hear from somebody who seemingly has this beautiful life and is admitting that it's not and it's not what she wants and it's not what she and she's still searching, you feel like, okay, you too, It's not just me. And so anyway, she had that ability to connect with women.
Speaker 1: Hey, that story. It brought her around the world, in part here to Italy as well. Yes, but she found love right at the end of that story.
Speaker 2: At the end of that she did.
Speaker 1: She found love. What a wonderful, freaking story. But that's not why I love the story, because the story did not end there now, and I had no idea until we got here. And now, whoever this woman is, I love her. I want to talk to her. I want to be her friend, because it's life, it's reality, it's what's happened. Please tell me. And there might be some people who are listening right now who have no idea how this story ended.
Speaker 2: So Ibra love Elizabeth Gilbert, who is an amazing author and a just a remarkable woman. She went on this journey after she realized she was in a marriage she didn't want to be in, and that was my impetus for me to feel comfortable in saying I didn't want to be in my marriage. So Elizabeth Gilbert was a huge part of my life and reading that book changed my life. And then reading about how she went to Italy, she went to India, and then I believe she ended up in Bali, and that is in the end of the book. For any of you guys who have read this, in any women, I know so many of you have read this book. She finds what she thinks is the love of her life and this Brazilian man they get married at the end of the book, and it's beautiful and it's amazing, and that's a great, beautiful love story.
Speaker 1: But that is where story is supposed to end. We're done to.
Speaker 3: Your point, right, Yeah, that is the problem is too often in TV, in books, in movies, the ends there.
Speaker 2: You asked me today, you were like, what story what movie do you all? As in Women Read or Love or a doore that actually focuses on what happens after you meet the supposed love of your life, what happens after you meet your soulmate? There aren't that many rom coms that do that, but I actually to Elizabeth Gilbert's story. I just want to point out, because I've actually talked about this a lot with you. She was in this marriage with the Brazilian man she married, and long story short, she realized once her best friend who she had been best friends with for years and years and years.
Speaker 1: It's so sorry to stop you there what but let's be clear to everybody. They eat pray love story, you know, and the guy she married, and everything worked out wonderfully with at the end of that buttoned up story, what happened.
Speaker 2: They got divorced. She ends up marrying her best friend, who is a female, and she made that decision once she realized her best friend was dying. And it's you know, I encourage everyone to, Oh my god, Oprah's super soul conversations with Elizabeth Gilbert talking about that relationship and talking about the little bit of time she had left with her. It was a beautiful, beautiful love story, but just there were so many less and all of it. And I'm just amazed by people's willingness, and I'm inspired by people's willingness to be vulnerable, to expose Hey, here's what I thought was right, Here's what I thought was my happy ending, and actually here's what it ended up being.
Speaker 1: Okay that I have not that rich Eat Pray Love. I have not seen Eat Pray Love the movie, but it is my favorite book and my favorite movie right now. And I say that because Sweeart, you know, our journeys are lives. To think of a story that now so many people find to be like the ultimate redemption story. Love story didn't end the way you saw it end because life just doesn't come in that kind of a package. And I just I applaud. I have no idea, and I asked you earlier about the author's name. Even I love this woman and I love this story. I have not I love it because it it's authentic and it's how life goes something and.
Speaker 2: It's where she was at that time, and she shared it as it was happening, and it didn't end the way she wanted it to end. It didn't end the way people hoped it would end. And I think that's kind of where the beauty lies. But it still can be beautiful even though it wasn't what we all, including Elizabeth Gilbert, wanted it to be, and yet it still ended the way it did, and there were beautiful moments that happened, and there were so many lessons that were learned along the way, and I think that is why we're here. I've just always believed this through and I've been forced to really re examine it through all of this thing we called life. We have to learn how to appreciate, and we have to learn when it's important to learn, and we have to suspend expectations. And that's so easy to say and so hard to do. And we all expect things to be a certain way, but when they don't go that way, that's how we learn and grow.
Speaker 1: Obviously, that's where I'm we're wed. You and I are coming from that from our experience. But it's just it's fascinating that a story that so many people find to be this wonderful story with a beautiful button at the end, actually took a twist. It's just how life is, and I appreciate it. I love, love love. I had no idea until this trip that that's how the story ended. Yeah, and it may not be over necessarily. I don't know where she is in her life and what's going on. It just I I love that story now. I absolutely love it.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to watch the movie with you. Love boy, you know you love rom coms.
Speaker 1: Okay, never mind one. You and I have talked about what we have seen on this trip oftentimes is certainly with the heat here. There's just a lot of frustration that comes with a lot of it. We've seen families. I talked about it today, they walking, they're walking in single file.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I was like, I don't want you near me, so we'll just be single file.
Speaker 1: We have literally seen families of five with the mom in the front, the dadds.
Speaker 2: Or in the back. A lot of times too.
Speaker 1: You know you're right, has been the back. It's been funny to watch. But Robot and I finally had our moment of frustration, a moment of a heated moment. And when I say heated, it was heated on her end. I wasn't even hot. But she snapped at me on this vacation and it was we were just a couple of days. We did pretty good.
Speaker 2: I think we got nine days in.
Speaker 1: It wasn't that hard of a snapping at me, even thank you. It wasn't no, no, no, And then snapped is a that's a tough way to say it, but you did. I was not that offended. I say that offended. Do you see I was measured there. I wasn't that offended by it. But it has been every single day we've woken up here on our phone it says severe weather alert because it's been that hot.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean it's like like it's been excruciating. I think would be a good way to put it.
Speaker 1: And I went out today in a double breasded jacket.
Speaker 2: I was amazed. But you did have sweat dripping down your face in certain moments, and I was applauding. I was like, damn, he still has that jacket on and there is sweat dripping down his face. Committed to that amazing committee. It was a good rose linen jagged. You looked amazing. I was impressed. I could never have lost.
Speaker 1: All the Italian men will walk around in full suits.
Speaker 2: They were, why am I.
Speaker 1: But it's today we were out or I'm not. It wasn't yesterday, the day before.
Speaker 2: It was a couple of days here, Lawrence, it was Laurence, was Florence.
Speaker 1: It was Florence, Okay, Florence. As trains trans translation trying to get a car right. Yes, okay, so you it's everybody struggling with an ober or whatever, but here it's oftentimes you see couples together and there's one person staring down at the phone trying to get directions, any other person staring standing next to them, just looking around aimlessly and wandering around.
Speaker 2: My partner has it.
Speaker 1: Yes, So we get out and Robes is trying to find the and she starts walking us the wrong direction, shocking, complete opposite direction of where we should be. And we get outside and again it's hundred degrees here. She's where gets frustrated and I say, baby, let's make lemonade. Let's figure this out. What do you need? And me offering that suggestion was met with I will let you describe it.
Speaker 2: I don't wait, I don't know what to say.
Speaker 1: Remember this?
Speaker 2: No, what did I say?
Speaker 1: Oh my god? You don't remember snapping?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Oh, never mind, let's skip this section of the podcast.
Speaker 2: You remember, I don't remember.
Speaker 1: This was the you don't remember.
Speaker 2: This might be selective memory.
Speaker 1: Man, Lets go. You finally snapped said I'm trying to I got it, and you wouldn't let.
Speaker 2: Me help you like me? That's sounds like me.
Speaker 1: But you wouldn't let me help you. And at that point I just stepped away. I didn't say after you said that, I didn't say another word. That's probably you don't remember.
Speaker 2: This because that's selective memory, and because maybe you didn't react. No, I don't remember.
Speaker 1: But in all of the time we've been here, and we have seen a lot of fights, We've seen a lot of barking and people and doing things. You and I have not had a single issue except that moment.
Speaker 2: It's so funny that I don't remember. I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Do you see what I'm dealing with, folks?
Speaker 2: I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: She doesn't even remember the time she heard I honestly don't remember it. But she offends, the time that she hurts, the time that she just crushes my soul. Wait, we.
Speaker 2: Wh wow are.
Speaker 1: You and this was not I can't blame this on alcohol. You were not six at the time.
Speaker 2: You were You didn't tell me you were gonna I have no memory of that. I apologize.
Speaker 1: I don't apologize or something. You don't even remember doing one spot we went to, and I guess a lot of people will understand that Napoli Naples is a is absolutely a wedding destination, and there's something about it. When we got there, I got wrapped up. I got caught up in Naples, and they were everywhere you look that was get married here, or there was a shop that you could buy a dress or tucks or it was. It was a very very very very very low key Vegas.
Speaker 2: It's a place where people fly into to go to the Amalfi Coast, so positano a mally reveloo. There's a big, big, big, big wedding destinations. So that makes a lot of sense. Like you fly into Naples, you get all the wedding stuff and then you either get married there and then go on honeymoon on the Malfi coast. But it totally makes sense that they've got a wedding destination situation.
Speaker 1: Is that where you want to get married? Is that where you've always wanted to get married? No, No, where you want to get married.
Speaker 2: I don't care where we get married. I actually don't. I would the honeymoon. I will have a say in, but I don't care where we get married.
Speaker 1: Then where's the honeymoon?
Speaker 2: Need to be somewhere over water. I want one of those huts over there.
Speaker 1: Over water.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to be in one of those huts. I've never done, like that hut over water thing.
Speaker 1: You don't care where we get married, but you care where honeymoon. Yeah, okay, but there was about thirty seconds ago. Anybody listening will go, wow, this sounds like a foregone conclusion that they're getting married.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's crazy not to think about the future when you're with somebody who you love, like, of course you want to. That's like a human experience to imagine how you're going to spend the rest of your life. So, yes, I think about it.
Speaker 1: We are. It's it has been interesting, it has been fascinating, and it's been a little difficult, to be honest with you. I'm not used to not talking to Sabine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and.
Speaker 1: Our kids in New York are have been traveling the whole time. We've been traveling to where you and I especially, only playing trips around when the kids are going to.
Speaker 2: Be otherwise occupied.
Speaker 1: Right, So your girls have been traveling around Europe the whole time we have been here in Italy, and then Sabine has been in uh A camp summer camp at summer camp. So that has been actually, you know, that more than anybody else. You know, you know, my relationship is being better than anybody. So it's been really I have not been able to speak to.
Speaker 2: My child, but you've been sending her Amazon care packages to day. I'm like, she's got to be either the most beloved kidding camp because she's like the cool girl who gets the package every day, or everyone's gonna hate her for it because you're giving her care package every day. It's a lot, might be a little bit too. Tell me that baby.
Speaker 1: How many wait?
Speaker 2: How many have you sent her? A lot?
Speaker 1: It's been a little bit like, maybe, why don't you tell me it.
Speaker 2: Was a lot too? At the most? What have you said?
Speaker 1: But it's a three week camp?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I know that my girls run a three week camp. I sent them like a care package a week, so two they each.
Speaker 1: Got a week. Oh yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: And most people might just get one a camp.
Speaker 1: She's getting three or four a week right now. Oh that's bad. Okay.
Speaker 2: The problem is you're also setting a precedent for what years?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, my child, come on, okay, rolles you again. You know better than anybody what my whole day from the time I wake up and I go to bed at night is.
Speaker 2: Around subie, It's true.
Speaker 1: What is she doing by seven thirty? Right? Where is she going to walking to.
Speaker 4: School to sabine or like, honestly, it's good, it's good, it's you know what it is. This is exercise for preparents, for kids to prepare for the ultimate separation.
Speaker 2: And I know that sounds like a Debbie Downer moment, but I say this as a woman who is about to be a complete empty nester. So summer camp, if you are so privileged to be able to afford it, which is an amazing thing, is a I feel like that helped me in a way prepare for my kids to leave me. It's like you have to you have to recognize that they are like your whole goal is to make them amazing independent versions of yourself like they are. So this is that's why they have strict rules of camp. No phones, no text messaging. You have to be removed. Your kid has to know and start to get used to moments of life without you.
Speaker 1: And that's but I imagine a moment in life where you're not speaking to your child a week, two weeks, and again, I just it's new, it's not again. So being is a different monster with me. It's not a we are constantly engaged day in day out, you know that idea?
Speaker 2: Anybody, Oh my god, Yes.
Speaker 1: If I don't hear back from spe in fifteen minutes, like oh my god, what's happening?
Speaker 2: So is this this is a big This is a deal, And I get that, and that is a that is a big It's a struggle. Oh god, I know. I am a few years ahead of you and I am struggling with that in a different way. And I get it. It's like a gradual, eventual thing that us as parents all have to acknowledge. And I do think this is something that I will bring back to my parents that I love. They loved my brother and me, and they talked about this with us in our podcast. But this is another reason why investing in the person in the relationship you're with you baby is so important. Husband's wives, boyfriend's girlfriends. Your kids are so important and the number one most important thing in your life. But they are with you for about twenty years and that's awesome, and yes, of course they're with you later in life. But like, if you don't invest in the people who are there with you, you know, investing in them. You just have to balance that. Like I think people forget about how important it is. Like I'm I'm with you now for the next well as many years as I'm allowed.
Speaker 5: But that's like I don't want to be there is the headline, Go ahead, you want to write the headline. No, but I just like every now together until.
Speaker 2: As many years as I'm allowed as I'm allowed. Nice for whatever reason it is, but I just think like it's a it's a cool thing too to have these moments. So I appreciate this vacation with you baby. We are devoted to our daughters, obviously, but it's important to remember each other.
Speaker 1: Why not. That's more. I didn't think anything more profound could be said.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, thank you for that acknowledgment and support. And I just I feel heard and seen. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Oh look at my baby.
Speaker 2: She's she looks like she's having a blast. We get pictures, Yes, we're getting picture up there. We literally as we're recording this, a update.
Speaker 1: From Sabine's camp with an updated picture of her, and put a smile on my face.
Speaker 2: She looks happy.
Speaker 1: She looks very very happy. So folks, we will see you back in the states. We will be on the ground in time to hear Trump speak.
Speaker 2: Oh, we can't wait. We'll have a podcast us probably acknowledging all of that.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Know.
Speaker 1: You can always find us on our official show page on Instagram at Amy and t J podcast Chow