Speaker 1: Also media. Oh, welcome back to Behind the Bastards. That's the podcast that this is right now. And yeah, we're talking about the Kingdom of God. Not the Kingdom of God isn't the thing that people believe exists. But the Kingdom of God is in the cult that the FBI just rated. Back with me as my guest, Jake Hanrahan, the host of Popular Front and a podcast on our network, sad Oligarch.
Speaker 2: Jake, Yeah, you doing good. I'm good. I'm ready to learn again about Jesus and his pretend best mate.
Speaker 1: And his pretend best friend. DAVIDY.
Speaker 2: Taylor.
Speaker 1: Yes, that is. I've never heard anyone claim to be Jesus his best friend. So he's at least he's at least you know, creative, Yeah, a thinker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not since like the Bible, you know.
Speaker 1: Right, I don't even think anyone of the Bible had the balls to be like, no, he's my best No, that's true.
Speaker 2: Like you.
Speaker 1: So, by twenty nineteen, David E. Taylor's ministry had found and thoroughly explored it's sweet spot, finding desperate people who were either sick themselves or who had ailing loved ones, and promising to convince God to solve their problems or a price. He had a different courses of lectures in which he would walk and these are like you know, one of his big money making things is he'll have these huge he'll fill out like a stadium or whatever or one of these like almost like an MLM right where they'll they'll rent out these huge public speaking spaces and he'll he and like his top. He has a couple of pastors that work under him. Will we'll teach you right for like they'll do like a three day lecture series, you know, on how to make personal contact with Jesus and then how to use your newfound friendship with Jesus to get stuff primarily to cure you and save you're sick or dying or dead loved ones. Right like that is the the entire grift here is that I will teach you how to meet Jesus so you can get favors from him and specifically like saving your loved one favors. David's marketing people, who are again all unpaid cold members, working and living together in these giant warehouse spaces that he's bought across the country, managed his social media and they would draw people to the call in line with posts like this and this is a July twenty nineteen Twitter post from David Taylor's account. Thousands are being healed of cancer through the life and ministry of David D. Taylor. Call one eight seven seven eight four three four five six seven for more information. It's you'd think, I don't know. This is the part that I have trouble getting my head into. Is somebody who's like, well, yeah, this must be how getting cured works, like this must be how God works. Is like I have to call a call in line to get in good with this one dude who has like the connection to the on high. That's the part where I'm like, man, I just don't I just don't get that. I don't get believing that that's that's such a stretch.
Speaker 2: He doesn't even really come across as particularly charismatic, Like you know, there's other than his Like I mean, let's be honest, pretty dap outfit that doesn't seem to be like that much new to what they're doing other than maybe the esthetics of it. But yeah, no, it's it's I guess it's just praying on you know, very people are very loose end but still plenty of colts do that, but I guess this one took off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that's really what it comes down to, is that like this is and it's just it's just so blatant. Yeah, to an extent that is sometimes funny. It's it's usually more sad than funny. But when you go through kind of the post that this dedicated PR team is putting together, they're throwing together advertisements for like big in person events, one of which was called Miracles for the Maimed. And I'm just gonna show you the ad image that they had here because it's it's a special one.
Speaker 2: Look at that.
Speaker 1: It's a photo of David E. Taylor holding like thirty different like walking canes and crutches like he's just got dozens of them in his hands.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean he's inventive. If nothing else, you know.
Speaker 1: He's a Yeah, he's got like a white suit that's chased with gold filigree, and yeah, it's Miracles for the Maimed with David E. Taylor. With God, nothing shall be impossible. I think we're meant to take from this is that, like, well, all these people who came in needing crutches and Walkers and Canes don't need him anymore. He cured the maimed. So David E. Taylor's just got to take care of all this trash now.
Speaker 2: I mean he's so like, Maimed is pretty heavy. Like if you're like, oh, I can't work very well to be maimed. You've been bringing fucking badly up.
Speaker 1: You've been maimed.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it's like he went in really heavy with that.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very fun well, not funny for the people, but the image fucking incredible. I'm not very fun I really really like like the isthetic of it. It's it's very like two thousands era, but just with the added caveat of being like a weird god call.
Speaker 1: It's great, right, yeah, it's it's it's it's a special picture. And when I saw that beautiful image, I had to know more. So I found one of David's YouTube channels that still hosted the Miracles for the Maimed video. A lot of his stuff's been taken offline since the FBI raid, and so I found this is like a stream of one of his like like speeches, right like, or one of his like events. You know, I told you that he goes up on stage and he'll do these like multi hour long talks and this like. You can find this whole video online on YouTube. It's called Miracles for the Named with David E. Taylor from his Miracles David Taylor Miracles in America stream. This one has seven hundred and forty one views. It was streamed eight months ago, so we're not talking about a massive channel. But clearly I think he's filling these in person rooms because he's got like what I the image I just showed you of him with all the crutches that was like a billboard advertising this thing for weeks and so people who just didn't know much about David Taylor showed up to see him speak and give his like because this is part of his global Miracles in America crusade against cancer. So it's yeah, he's this is appealing to some number of people who are like desperate as a result of their fucking horrible cancer and they show up in person. And this is how I think this is a like in the YouTube video, this is just like what starts the stream off is there's this weird AI generated intro video. I'm guessing it was also the intro video that played at the symposium or whatever it was like before David got on stage and started talking. But let's just watch this piece of AI generated Colt Schlock together.
Speaker 3: Take America, a nation formed by God, destined to be a light to the world, but for centuries darkness has fought to claim its soul.
Speaker 1: I've kept them about chasing wealth power and the guy talking just looks like a ring race.
Speaker 2: It's like Assassin's creed is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yet in the hour of her greatest peril, heaven.
Speaker 1: Not sure what president that's supposed to be.
Speaker 3: From the throne of eternity. The king of Kings beheld the light.
Speaker 1: Now I'm going to stop us right here, yeah, because this is I mean, it's just weird Ai Schlock. Well, what's interesting to me is Jesus's room because at the point at which we stopped at, Jesus is like walking around in this like gold chased room. Yeah, and there's like thirty beds in it that are just empty. Yeah, Like Jesus, the dozens of beds is weird to me, Like, why does Jesus need that many beds in his room? What is Jesus doing that requires all of those bets? Does Jesus keep a hair up, because I don't know why you would have that many bets.
Speaker 2: Also, like everything is gold plated, gold gilded.
Speaker 1: I mean, like it does all look like Donald Trump's living room.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, Like think what you want about religion, Like, I mean, if you go by the book or whatever, if you believe it or you like the story or whatever. Jesus was a pretty fucking cool guy. Like he did some pretty cool shit.
Speaker 1: He was into gold, right, he was not.
Speaker 2: Into like loads of gold. He was into like looking after lepers and like people. Yeah, he wouldn't like get me gold everywhere, Like it's so silly man.
Speaker 1: Fuck yeah. Definitely. Like one of the I think unargued things of the text of the Bible is Jesus was not a huge fan of fucking palaces. Not a palace guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jesus not known to be a palace guy. Definitely not.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And what's fun here is obviously that's all AI general, right, like that, it's very obviously AI generated. So what you've got here is unpaid human trafficking victims using a plagiarism machine to make Hollywood style trailers in order to scam sick people out of their money. It's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, it's pretty cool. It's like I mean, I always say the reason that, well, in my opinion, that I feel like Black Mirror is terrible now is because real life and I know there's such an act thing to say, but it is so true, like these real life scenarios are just pure Black Mirror episodes really, you know, and here we are.
Speaker 1: I've had the same prop where like when I first started watching the show ten years ago or whatever, it was like, oh, wow, this seems like incredible, it could happen, And now it's like, well this is I mean, yeah, we're here, and it's just slightly less upsetting than the real thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I oh what I wouldn't give for a sand Junipero. That's not what we're getting at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Right, Instead we have like Jesus gold plate, Harrem room to Christations fuck palace. Yeah yeah exactly that. Yeah that sucks.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now again, I also think it's kind of interesting and there's part of me that's like, should I analyze Jesus having all those beds more? Because David E. Taylor also owns a mansion with a lot of beds in it and was definitely running a sex colt. But also there's no way they prompted it to look that's just what the AI thing came up with. I'm guessing. I'm sure they didn't specify he should have dozens of weird beds in his mansion. They were just like Jesus in a palace looking out a window or something. That would be my assumption, but I don't know. It's weird how directly again, it grafts to the actual cult that David E. Taylor is running, which has a bunch of mansions with dozens of beds in them.
Speaker 2: Right, And sometimes they do do this thing where they kind of you know, hide in plain side, like oh yeah, put that in there. Well, maybe it's to make people when they watch that they're not so shocked when they actually find not the real thing, because he's in heaven and he's not Jesus, but you know, something similar maybe make them not not so shocked. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't tell you for certain. What I can show you is what the actual living spaces in his cult facility looked like. What the actual beds that his cult members are in these giant warehouses where dozens of them are living at a time, and it looks like a homeless shelter, right, like they're not it's you see here, they're not living.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, it's horrible. What is that? Yeah, so for anyone listening, it's just like tents inside like people sleeping on. Oh, it's horrible.
Speaker 1: That tent was like a homeless shelter. I'd say, like that looks like maybe an okay, homeless shelter or like, yeah, like a femaus shelter. People just got forced out of their homes and you're quickly making space for them.
Speaker 2: It's that white tent though, Like that's creeping me out that it's like some kind of weed medical I don't know. Yeah, it looks weird. Yeah, it's like for a homeless sheller, like it wouldn't be bad at all, but like that medical tent is creeping me the fuck out. But yeah, right, the AI is definitely yeah, definitely a lot judging it.
Speaker 1: Out and these people are again they're bringing in millions of dollars a year for him, like tens of millions over the course of the time they're doing this. The cult had the money to give them at least separate little rooms, right Like, even if you're not wanting to pay these people because you're an evil cult leader, they didn't have to live like this. But this is part of the point. Keeping them in a situation that is like a homeless shelter is part of the point because one of the threats he has against them is leverage. Is I will make you fully homeless if you don't do what I say, right Like, we're building to that, but that is kind of what's going on here. So thanks to the federal indictment, we also have full records of several years worth of text messages from Taylor to his followers and to his top lieutenants who are helping to run the cult. So we do actually know directly how he incentivized and managed his PR team, the guys who created that crutch image in the video we just watch when they fell behind on producer stuff like that. For example, on October sixth of twenty twenty, Taylor's second in command sent a text message to the media team which warmed media team, no going to sleep until the Mosaic video was done. That was another ad for like one of these events that they were doing, and I go my sleep, No going to sleep. The grammar's not great.
Speaker 2: That's so dark. No, No, it's just like the whenever like people are restricting sleep, it's like always yop the lowest rung of like just nightmas shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because like that is the I mean the things that I have been willing to do because I've been exhausted and unwilling to like I don't have the energy to fight you anymore. I feel like it's that's why sleep deprivation is like probably like top of the cult leader tactics out there, or at least tied with cutting off your family and shit for number one, Like it's really big.
Speaker 2: It's why like you know, the CIA would doing it when they were torturing people. And I'll be right, of course, same deff, same thing, like because it's just if you're that exhausted, you'll be like yeah, whatever, like sure I did this, whatever, please let me sleep. It's just so harsh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that does explain a lot of the God, why are people putting up with us? Well, because they're exhausted and starving and like that you've gotten to them to a point where they're not making anything that can be even like sort of described as a rational choice. Now, I have not found the mosaic video that he was talking about in that text message, but the indictment gives a very clear idea of how the cult was organized. At the top of the slave hierarchy where Taylor's so called armor bearers, this is the title he gave to his like top slaves. These are not the loot because he also has some people who are getting money who are sharing in the top of the cult, right, including like his romantic partner and a couple of these pastors working for him, and they're at the top top of the hierarchy. But kind of the top of the slave hierarchy are the armor bearers. And here's how the FBI describes them in their indictment. Armor bearers were Taylor's personal servants who fulfilled Tailor's demands around the clock. Taylor and brann and Brannon being his like number one, controlled every aspect of the daily living of their victims. They are not allowed to go anywhere without permission, and they sleep in the facilities where they work or in a ministry house. Armor bearers handled everything from the standard waiting on hand and foot of Taylor and Brannan and the other couple of people, leading it to the actual nuts and bolt sex trafficking work that David E. Taylor required of them. For the DOJ. Taylor demanded that his armor bearers transport women from ministry houses, airports, and other locations to Taylor's location and ensured the women transported to Taylor took Plan B emergency contraceptives. So not only are these armor bearers trafficking women for him from different cult compounds or like bringing them in when he manages to ensnare a young woman online or something. Because he has these people, it looks like they're flirting for him. Sometimes some of it he must be doing himself. And these are women maybe who are more prominent in the the evangelical community, like Christian female musicians and stuff, who have like a degree of So that's a big target, but also just a lot of when a female cult member fancies his eye, he'll bring them in. And these guys are trafficking them and giving them morning after pills, right, which seems to be the standard, is that anytime you sleep with him, you take a morning after pill just to be sure, right, I'm guessing both because he refuses to wear condoms and because the cult just didn't want to take any chances.
Speaker 2: It always gets so disgusting, don't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, and I don't even feel like it's worth bringing up. I'm sure these people, this cult had a hypocritical attitude on whether or not morning after pill should be legal, but like that's it almost feels like pointless to bring that up when we're talking about crimes of this magnet, Like, of course they're hypocrites, right. The women brought to Taylors seem to have mostly been female cult members, But again, he flirted heavily with these female like Christian pop musicians and recording artists. We'll talk more about that later. But in order to keep any of these ladies from speaking up and doing damage to his ministry, Taylor and his top lieutenants also operated what can be accurately described as a revenge porn ring. Right, That's how they kept these women from coming out. And I'm going to quote now from an article on Detroit Local four news. Court documents claim that Taylor frequently solicited and received sexually explicit photos and videos from multiple female workers for the organization. There were thousands of sexually explicit photos and videos officials said one of set of photos found on the phone of Taylor's second in command were sent by a female worker, an unpaid worker, mind you, who cried when she handed them over and apologized for having been late in completing the assignment, which she said she understands that she needed to do and can't delay. Right, this is your assignment. Is you need to take like naked photos of yourself or whatever and send them to me so that like I have, yeah, the ability to I have revenge porn on you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's sort doctor to frame as the assignment, Like you're gonna basically get yourself in a position that's gonna be you know, you're gonna be even more malleable, and it's your assignment like from God, Like oh, it's just.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, yeah, I mean evil's the right word for it. And you know what's not evil though, I mean they might be. I can't promise that one way or the other. But here's some ads and we're bad. Okay, So we're talking about the sex trafficking. David's most prominent alleged victim, and the woman who's given us most details about how this process worked was a gospel singer named Vicki Yohe and prior this is like she was she was she was is fairly prominent within like the world of Christian pop music. Prior to meeting Taylor Yohe was a Dove Award nominated musician. And you probably haven't heard of the Devil Ward because it's not like it's not a big deal in like the real world, but within this kind of community of like Christian like musicians and stuff like that who like specifically make like worship music and stuff, it's a pretty big deal. It's like they're Grammy, right. So she's not like a celebrity in normal world terms, but she's famous within like the evangelic like the Pentecostal and the charismatic chunks of the evangelical community. So she had like going on before she got caught up with this maniac, which is important because it means that when she decides to leave, when she realizes what he's doing, she has the resources and cloud to actually escape, and that's why she's able to. She gives us a lot of details about this guy because she's able to, Like she is not leaving the cult and having absolutely nothing, being completely broke, basically homeless, so she has some some ability to actually fight back openly, and she she has been for years by the way. She came out a while ago and has was one of the people who was first kind of detailing the actual extent of his abuse beyond just like tax fraud. So he and Yohey met at a church event in twenty seventeen, and Taylor immediately this appears to be part of his flirtation technique. He starts calling her his spiritual daughter. That isn't appealing. Doesn't seem like it should be appealing, right, That's pretty upseting fundamentally, But she feels drawn to him, and she does consent to starting a sexual relationship with him, which which lasts about sixteen months, So this does start consensually. They're both adults, she has the ability to say yes or no. She's not in the cult, and since coming out against Taylor, Yohe has repeatedly told reporters that this was a thing like describing women he wanted to fuck as his spiritual daughters was a tactic Taylor used. He used it repeatedly on the women that he went after. She claimed he prays on women, He does not honor women. Women are just a vagina. And that seems true. Sure, Like that's I don't I don't doubt her at all.
Speaker 2: Understand horrible, right, No, just disgusting, Like and I just.
Speaker 1: Don't get how calling someone a spiritual your spiritual daughter works as a flirtation method.
Speaker 2: No, unless you're like as he is is a.
Speaker 1: Praved or again you're you've you've drank so much of the kool aid of this like weird extreme trunk of the religion that that's appealing to you. Like, I don't know if we can fully get it not being part of this community like you have to almost have had, right.
Speaker 2: They have you seen dog tooth Like it's been a long time. But there's a there's like kind of a I mean, I guess kind of a cult vibe amongst the family there. But they they recontextualize words. It's it's a little absurd to the point where like words mean completely different things there. But like a lot of cults do that, right, like you know in their world it's like, no, it doesn't mean door like that, it means like this, And it's like look, no matter what way you look at it's fucked up. But in there will let you say, it's just everything is on a different planet by that stage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I yeah, I think that that's exactly it, right, And what you're talking about that is another common cult tactic is the reframing of words, in part because it creates a bond. It's the same I brought this up a lot, but it's the same way. Like if you and your friends are really into MMA or really into something like Warhammer or some video game, there's like different terms that like are used within the community, or like you're part of an online forum or something, and that creates a sense of bonding that like I know what this means when I say, and so do you. That's not unhealthy inherently, but the extreme version of that is is an effective cult tactic, both because it makes people bond and it also cuts people off from the app. When you do it extremely enough and you're fundamentally you can't understand what other people are saying and they can't understand you. That creates this kind of I that furthers this sense of isolation that's necessary for cults to work the way they work.
Speaker 2: You know, in in group thinking and all that.
Speaker 1: Right exactly, now we've talked about the spiritual daughter flirtation method. His other way of appealing to the women that he wanted to go after was much simpler. And I'm going to quote again from the News Herald. According to Yohi, Taylor made a habit of buying her expensive gifts, including lobitine red bottom shoes, a fur coat, and a Jaguar Sedan during their relationship. She said, some of the money for gifts came from JMMI that's the church accounts. He said, God just spoke to him to bless me with a car. She said, so that money for my car actually came from Joshua Media ministries. Absolutely, he says that he doesn't deny that. He says, yes, our ministry blesses other ministries with vehicles sometimes. Now, if you're wondering, is that tax fraud, give your mistress a card using church bundy. The answer is yes, yes, although in a way that isn't easy necessarily to prove or get do right. This isn't the thing that gets caught easily. And in fact, most of the shit like this happens all the time with a bunch of different churches in the US, and it usually does not get caught right. Churches are tax exempt, so they don't have to pay taxes on donations for the church to use to conduct its normal business of existing as a church. But that doesn't mean that churches and church pastors or other kinds of church leaders just don't ever have to pay taxes. For example, if your church pays a salary to the pastor or priest or whatever they have to there, they still have to pay payroll taxes. Right, It's the same if they pay taxes to their workers, they still pay payroll taxes. Right. Churches are not exempt from that sort of thing. Like that's just the way, right, Like it's it's it's one thing the church should the church, for example, shouldn't have to pay. This is the way the law works. I'm not saying I agree with this. I disagree with this. But the church does not have to pay like a property tax for their church to continue to exist as a church. But once the money is going into people accounts as like a salary that you pay money on as normal. Right, And so if you're paying the pastor millions of dollars to buy luxury cars in a private jet and live in mansions, that money's supposed to be taxed. But if the church just buys luxury cars and a private jet that are the church's property, then they can get away without paying taxes. It just so happens that the cult leader is the only one who gets to use them, right, And this is it works usually. I think there's a degree to which and this is Taylor has probably crossed the line because the IRS is after him. But you can get away with a lot in this regard, right, like churches often do get away with a lot. No, that's not my private jet, it's the ministry's private jet.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: But once you're buying your mistress a car, well that's not the same. That's not a church expense, and so she is expected to pay. You should be paying taxes on that, right, Someone should be paying taxes on these gifts, right, because you can't give that. You can't give gifts over a certain amount and not have them be taxed, you know. So there is a bunch of tax fraud going on here, right. I'm both pointing out that there's a lot you can get away with as a church in terms of tax exempt stuff, and Taylor is constantly exceeding that remit like he is absolutely committing tax crimes. It's just it takes a while for this to get caught because, for one thing, the irs is kind of scared of going after churches in the US, right because well, for one thing, it's really bad pr Whenever a Republican is in office, it becomes a lot easier for them to get away with this. But the Democrat Democrat like administrations don't really want that kind to fight either, because the church will always say, oh, this is this is discrimination, this is anti Christian discrimination. They're coming after me because of my faith, right, and it's just easier to ignore it. And that is usually what happens, right, And this is a part of the massive probably have because these churches often, I mean, there's a lot that they often do. Like it's incredibly common for churches to basically like expressly give political orders or tell the congregation this is how you should vote, this is who you should support politically. And churches aren't supposed to be able to do that and keep their taxes in status, but they do all the time because everyone's scared of pissing these people off.
Speaker 2: Let's go too off track, but it just obviously you know about this, So would that be something that like, for example, the evangelicals are doing with Trump obviously they you know, they be pro genocide in Gaza, And I was just the whole time, I was like, why the what the fuck? Is like, how do they have this much power? It's something like that, is it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, because these these churches have huge amounts of money and they put that money towards different like that is a lot of like the right, A lot of the money that comes from the right does come from these these megachurches and these megachurch leaders who have just buckets of cash. And it's it's also just that's why it's such a fertile grifting ground. Is like creating a quote unquote church or calling yourself a pastor, is you can get away with a lot, and they're usually scared to come after you. You know, this is not what the episode is about, but this happens constantly. Like Taylor. Taylor is weird because he crossed the line enough that he gets in trouble for tax fraud, right, which very rarely happens to these guys. Now, for his part, like a certain president, Taylor claimed to have refused any salary at all, right, that he's not getting any money for what he's doing. And this is the kind of thing that sounds good when you say it on stage to an adoring audience who aren't going to question you. But it's also the kind of thing that looks like tax fraud because it is. There's an organization called the Trinity Foundation which monitors religious fraud and actually looks for stuff like this, and they published an investigation into tax fraud by DAVIDY. Taylor and the Joshua Media Ministries International in twenty eighteen. Right, so this there has been evidence, and this is extremely detailed. I would call this like a like smoking gun inarguable report what they put out. I've read through the entire thing. It is excellent work. It's it's very it's kind of wonkish because it's more focused. We're focusing on all of the fucked up abuse of human beings. They are focused on. Here is something he said, Here's an expense we know that was made. Here are the exact tax laws it violates. Right, So it's kind of dry reading.
Speaker 2: But like how the like I sorry, but like I guess it's kind of in the way of like, I guess it's a not a bad idea, Like you know, like al Capone, they went after his tax It's like, yeah, it's easy to get him on this right.
Speaker 1: Right, And it's it's proof write without anyone you don't need. Yeah, it's black and white. And you don't need someone who is like an abuse victim and traumatized to be willing to testify, which is hard to do, right, you know, not making it a moral judgment. It's just difficult to get people to talk when they've been through something like this for a variety of reasons. And you don't need that with tax fraud.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: And in that report, the Trinity Foundation says that like they consider whenever you hear that the head of a church is going without salary, that is a huge red flag. That's like one of their big warnings that fraud.
Speaker 2: Is going on. Quote.
Speaker 1: Taylor lives in an apparent lavish lifestyle and appears to use the church account as his personal piggybank. In his deposition, he says that he lives off gifts that are personally donated to him, which do not count as a salary, and that deposition was from a twenty fourteen He gets charged with tax fraud in twenty fourteen and his church loses its taxi status for like a year and then gets it back almost immediately. But this part has been going on for a while. The tax fraud has been known for about a decade before he actually gets in any serious trouble, which shows you how hard it is even when they even when they know there's tax fraud to the extent that the IRS comes after you for it and takes away your taxis and status, you can get it back the next year and nothing will happen, right, because we just don't take these kind of crimes seriously in the United States.
Speaker 2: It's like legal crime.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. If you do it with a church, it's not a crime now. That report also goes into one of David Taylor's grifts from November of twenty eighteen, a praise a thon where he asked his followers to donate to sponsor three hundred new students who would be trained and brought into his ministries volunteers. And I think the idea was that he would personally instruct these people in the art of talking to Jesus so that they could learn how to heal people with prayer. The Trinity Foundation notes quote students and this is them describing the pitch that Taylor was making, students will be taught to do things even medical doctors insurgents can't do. Damn they go what oh dear? They want to summarize, he claims he provided housing, meals, clothing, hygien and training for them at a cost of about one hundred and fifty k for each student's first year more if their entire family relocated with them. That comes to a total of forty five million requested for that project alone. Taylor claims that they will be provided more than even an accredited Bible college would and that many would receive a salary after completing their training. Now this doesn't ever seem to have happened. No money was actually devoted to this program. I have found zero evidence that any of his followers were ever paid a salary after finishing their training. This was a grift at both ends. The donated money was not being used for the promised purpose, and the people that he did sign up as students weren't being given degrees, and they weren't being given salaries and jobs. They were made to work at a call center and abused. Right now, I know some of you may be wanting to get this point, Robert. You said none of the donated money went to feeding her sheltering these unpaid volunteer students. But that can't be true, right, they had to have been. We saw where they were living. It can't be expensive. But clearly the cult was paying for beds and paying for food because these people weren't allowed to have jobs or money on their own. They would have starved if none of the donation money went to supporting them, Right, and well, all I have to say to that is, my dear friends, you've forgotten the sublime joy of welfare fraud, because that's how he's feeding these people. One of the main whistleblowers against JMMI is a former follower of Tailor's named Chris Sorenson. And we'll talk about Chris's journey a little later, but he's one of three former members who have alleged to the Tennessee News Herald that Taylor's cult fed its worker followers not using the tens of millions in donations, but via EBT fraud. Right, that's our the car. If you're poor enough, you get these electronic benefits transfer cards that'll let you allow you to buy certain kinds of food and drink. Right, it's for people who will starve otherwise. You know, that's what EBT is for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wondered for a long time what that was at. So it's like essentially like benefits so you can live if you lose your job or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yes, right, right, exactly it's supposed to be. It's and you know, the program doesn't work nearly as well as it should. It's gotten much worse in the last year because of cuts to it. But what it is supposed to be is that if you are if you can't basically you can't feed yourself otherwise, this give gets you the benefits you need to keep you and your family from starving. And this is how the cult made sure that they didn't have to pay even a dime of their money to keep their people making the money working the call center alive. Quote from the News Herald JMMI instructed church members to claim homelessness with the state of Michigan in order sorry not to, I said Tennessee earlier's Michigan in order to get electronic benefits transfer cards. Members then allegedly pooled the cards to an appointed designatee who would shop for everyone at nearby stores. Every person had to have an EBT card, a food stamp card. Sore instance said. They said, if you don't get one, you're not going to eat. So you have fifty people to feed and one card will last one day. You'll totally empty one card on the whole entire staff. And it's not for you personally, it's to spend on the whole entire group, so you're not using your own card. I was in charge of it. I had to make an Excel spreadsheet of the status of everyone's card, and we kept them all in this little trapper keep or plastic box. It's just this cult. He brings in fifty million dollars in less than a decade just from donations to the you can Feed people.
Speaker 2: Why those gait is like, you're already so fucking rich, Why even risk getting into this trouble for this kind of thing? You know, it's just like beyond me. I get Do they think they're untouchable?
Speaker 1: I mean they were for a very long time. Gets away with this for closing it on twenty years. And I think it's also with people like this, I think they almost feel a sense of disgust at the idea that they might spend any of their money on other people. You know, I really I think that there's something pathological going on. I maybe maybe I'm kind of reading into it a little bit, but like I just I don't know what else it could be, you know, And it's probably worth talking about here. How food and shelter were both used as weapons by David E. Taylor to keep his workforce functioning without complaint. His first line of defense was, of course, threatening to damn people to hell or even have God harm them or their loved ones. But when the power of those threats started to wane, his reliable backup was promising to make people homeless if they resisted or failed to hit quotas. And I'm going to quote directly from the federal indictment here, Honor. About May fifth, twenty twenty one, at twelve twenty six am, Taylor texted to DG, his current armor bearer tasked with communicating his orders to staff whose identity is known to the Grand jury. You'll have to raise one hundred and sixty four thousand dollars today. Each hour you fall behind, consequences will start. We will mess with the food. You will fast from the regular food. Or abstain for a while. Normally, as of now, there's a twenty one day peanut, butter and jelly regiment. Like before, those who do not push their calls individually and as a team with the right amount of people and closing numbers at six pm, they don't need dinner at all if they do good afterward this time, and then at the end of the night they may get a snack for bed, but not much. And this regiment will go on every day for twenty one days until they obey take away the food. There will be other consequences. We must make them fast and pray. He does two exclamation points at the end of each of those sentences. I don't know why.
Speaker 2: You can clearly, I think if you are in the mindset where you'll abuse people so much to the point where you're saying, yeah, like I can make your mother with cancer get better or your dad with aides or whatever, and then you get really, really rich. Anyway, It's like, I think the whole psychotic element just gets compounded, and that's what it sounds like there. It's like he thinks he's.
Speaker 1: God, yeah yeah, with a devil maybe yeah yeah. On other occasions he enforced multi day fasts when call center workers couldn't make his impossible quotas. Sleep was also commonly withheld as a punishment, although it might be more accurate to say that Taylor structured his quotas in such a way that no one could make them, which was automatically punished by being made to work until four am. In addition, whenever the cold had trouble making its numbers, which was always, he'd schedule mandatory meetings which ran from three to six hours long. So if you're keeping track, this meant that anytime the money wasn't as much as he wanted, and it was never as much as he wanted, the staff was basically banned from sleeping almost entirely right. This is presented as a mix of punishment and strategy, but the overall goal was to make sure none of his full time workers ever get sleep, because that keeps them in the state. Well, they'll do whatever he says, like zombies. Like zombies. Here's the indictment again, Honor. About September nineteenth, at ten twenty one pm, Taylor texted to victim DG, Michelle, and Kia make them all stand and tell them if the punishment to four am. Don't work. I'm going to make it worser and worser. They are going to get their beds out of my house and sleep in the garage. Everyone piled in there. This ruthless boot camp is going to get worse and worse until they do what we are telling them. There will only be soup, bread and water for all the degenerates every day.
Speaker 2: The degenerates. Is that what he called them.
Speaker 1: The degenerates? Yes, yes, because they're not. They couldn't make one hundred and sixty four thousand dollars in a day like God demanded.
Speaker 2: Wow, you know, it's what Jesus would want.
Speaker 1: It's what Jesus would want. About a month after this, he sent another message complaining I can't be kind to you letting you start later and sleep in because members of the team had fallen behind again on his impossible quotas All Caps now, I don't care if you are tired. You've crossed the line. You're going to work all night and get up in the morning. I want the names of those who are not helping with this push, or doing their work or showing change, All Caps. They are going to the homeless shelter. Right again, this is directly the threat is I've already reduced you to near homelessness. If you cross the line, you're out on your ass right.
Speaker 2: Off to take in everything you add anyway.
Speaker 1: You can't even get EBT because we have your EBT card right, like you're already on it. Your are because you don't get that forever.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: That's the other thing is that like these people are so comprehensively fucked.
Speaker 2: I know, like obviously this is a cult and that's how it is. But it's also I guess the two go hand in hand. But it's also like turning into a pretty evident kind of human trafficking ring. If they're like moving people around just to kind of be in what was essentially slave labor, taking all their identity, their rights, making money off them, Like it's a serious criminal enterprise at this stage.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep, absolutely now. In the federal indictment, former cult members alleged that Taylor would often threaten his victims by explaining the power God gave him, rebuking them for disobedience, and cursing those who stopped working for him or spoke negatively about him. In addition, quote the defendants required the victims to request permission to leave their housing or the call centers, and control their access to transportation. The defendants rarely permitted victims to seek outside medical attention. The defendants often denied victims medical attention altogether. In some instances, the defendants physically abused victims when Taylor was displeased with the actions or behavior of victims. Now I noted at the top of these episodes that this cult was one of the ones that I have some trouble really understanding. So we should look into a couple of case studies of former members who found themselves wrapped up in Taylor's group and ultimately escaped. One local Houston news station KPRC two interviewed a friend of a woman who joined the cult because she was groomed as a bride for Taylor. Quote from the beginning, it was great, exciting, as they usually are, the woman said, but I kept warning her that something sounded like a cult. Her friend eventually cut off all communication, but returned a year later, revealing the mental and psychological abuse she endured. She said they starved her, mentally and psychologically abused her, and used scripture in hell to condemn her. The woman said it was almost like a loyalty program. They had to defend the top person and their ministry, and when her friend ultimately escaped, quote, she didn't know what to believe, who to trust, what churches to trust. And this is where she says that her friend restored her faith despite her trauma and found another church, which is depicted as a positive end in the artic. I can't help feeling maybe you needed a break from religion for a while. Maybe maybe like maybe a little while out there, you know, the rest of your all the months off of a religion. Yeah, and it's you know, outside of Because we're talking again about how crazy all of this seems on the inside. I need to emphasize unless you are paying attention to like the Trinity Foundations reporting on their tax fraud and stuff, none of this is super obvious. There's not any mainstream news articles for a while. You get starting like a year, a couple of years ago. You do get some local press about some of the allegations, but there's very little to find on these people, and they also seem to have some like fairly high profile backers. From July thirty first to August fourth of twenty nineteen, David Taylor held a miracle crusade against cancer in Taylor, Michigan, and it featured like One of the people who spoke at the event dent was Andre Gslarowski, who's the chairman of an Israeli nonprofit called the Helping Hand Coalition that supports Holocaust survivors. Right and I'm going to quote from the Trinity Foundations right up here. Gasarowski co founded the conglomerate art B, which looted the Polish banking system. Then Gasiroowski fled the country. He moved to Israel to avoid extradition. In nineteen ninety one, The Washington Post explained the criminal enterprise. The company's founders discovered that a helicopter could move cash around Poland faster than the antiquated banking system could clear checks. Art B shuffled about eighteen billion through the banking system, picking up an estimated three hundred and sixty million an interest on money that was in several accounts. At the same time, a Polish court convicted Gasierowski's business partner, Bogoslaw Bogsik. Radio Free Europe reported Bogsik was found guilty of cheating the Polish banking system out of four hundred and twenty four millions lotties ninety four million US dollars, defrauding a bank, bribing bank clerks, and carrying out financial misdeeds connected with his company art B. As of the year two thousand, Polish investigators estimated that Bagsick may still have some forty million abroad, and Gasierowski twice that amount. After moving to Israel, Gasiroowski reinvented himself as a philanthropist, but failed to pay back the people he defrauded. JMMI is raising money for a partnership with Gasiorowski's Helping Hand Coalition, claiming to bring aid to thousands of impoverished Holocaust survivors use in desperate need, But it is impossible to know how much money is actually going to the Helping Hand Coalition. So on paper, this guy is working with a foundation that helps an Israeli nonprofit that helps Holocaust survivors. Then you look into it and it's like, no, this guy defrauded the Polish banking system to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars and whatever he's doing now this coalition, now that he's fled to Israel to avoid prosecution is some kind of con right. It's a Holocaust survivor con like he is stealing buddy from holocaust SFI it doesn't get and David Taylor's helping. Yeah, that's about as bad as it gets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really bad. It's like the worst side hustle ever after already doing all the worst things he ever did, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I'd love to know how that conversation start. Was like, hey, I hear you're in some really fucked up shit, DAVIDY. Taylor. You know you're trafficking people, committing all sorts of sex crimes. How would you like to defraud some Holocaust survivors?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You know, And he was like fuck ya.
Speaker 1: And it's weird, this fucking Gasierowski, this weirdo is at least, I mean, he's in good enough odor with the Israeli government that they're not extraditing him. And also I think it's through him. David E. Taylor gets commissioned as an official ambassador for Israel to America. It's not like a like the legally an ambassador. It's like a an honorary thing, right, But like he's he gets stuff like this, you know, and he's he's working. He has this all these different on paper, humanitarian enterprises, the refuge Homes Project, which is supposed to rescue and find homes for children who have been sold into human sex trafficking, and there's all these different you know, feeding the poor charities he's supposed to be. The money that gets donated him is supposed to go to like dig water wells in poor places overseas, providing Thanksgiving and Christmas gifts to thousands of families. There's this disaster aid charity that's real called the Convoy of Miracles that he just like lied and pretended to be donating money to. They eventually like went to court because they were like, he's not He's just using our name to steal from people. It's cool stuff. So yeah, let's talk about well, actually let's throw to ads first because that's probably time for that, and then we'll close out this story and we're back. So the most entailed account we have from a former member is a guy named Chris Sorenson, who I chatted about a little earlier. Chris talked to the News Herald in twenty nineteen after escaping and he found the cold. He got involved with David E. Taylor's JMA my as a direct result of reading Taylor's two thousand and nine book Face to Face Appearances from Jesus The Ultimate Intimacy. Sorenson claims, I got associated with Taylor, I know, right right.
Speaker 2: Off his head again. Uh huh.
Speaker 1: Sorenson claims, I got associated with Taylor's ministry in January of twenty fifteen. That's when I very first heard of the guy, and I saw ads for his book saying if you buy this book and you read it, you'll see Jesus. So I took the gamble, I bought it, and I read it. And Chris's story is valuable because it illustrates the technical means by which Taylor utilized his followers to reach out and entrap new worker drones. Within days of finishing reading the book, Sorenson wakes up, He's just finished this and there's a Facebook message from JMMI from Taylor's cult written by someone and he doesn't knows at the time. It is written by someone living in a warehouse owned by the Colt in Michigan, and the message said, Jesus told me to reach out to you. I was in prayer last night and I was drawn to your page to contact you. And Sorenson is like, oh wow, I just read your book and now you're reaching out to me. I was so honored. You see why this would be effective? Right?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Someone has just and it feels like, well, how could they have known unless God told them? Right now, Sorensen, on the strength of this, because he's so overwhelmed by what's happened and I was in a vulnerable point in his life, he joins the cult, gives himself up entirely. He starts working on their Michigan property full time, and in short order, he's the one sending spam messages to people on Facebook, and so he realizes, oh, God didn't tell them to reach out to me, right. What's actually happening here is that these call center workers who are expected to reach out to hundreds of people a day, they're just going through the Facebook pages of David Taylor and a bunch of other prominent televangelists like Billy Graham er Joel Olstein, and they're seeing who is liking each of the posts, and then they're just messaging people who have recently liked posts, So Sorensen must have liked the post about the book that he bought and read, and they see that and they reach out to him directly. That's the actual way in which they're kind of like picking people to cold call, is like, whoever's liking these posts from other evangelists, there's a better chance that they're going to be vulnerable to our shtick. And they're just messaging these people. Each individual, like call center worker, is expected to send something like a thousand messages a day, most of which are copy pasted from a script. And even though these people are more likely to respond, most recipients of these messages ignore what they're being sent. But every now and then, someone liked Sorensen would get a message at just the right time that it feels like something's happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, cold calling for Jesus basically right.
Speaker 1: It's like a cold reading kind of technique but applied to like using social media and kind of some of these other dynamics. Sorensen told The News Herald quote during his six months with Joshua Media Ministries, sorens And also said that he was repeatedly told to leave his wife, who was skeptical of Taylor and JMMI. He said he also witnessed Taylor physically assault other JMMI members at their building. He recalled Taylor coming in late at night and yelling and screaming at seven men. He just started going off on one guy and just started slapping him. Sorenson said. He slapped him two or three times, knocked him to the ground, and then just grabbed him by the collar and shook him. He went after another, slapped them across the face, pushed them to the ground, sit over them. Sorenson said that four of the men were being corrected for smoking weed and two of them for interactions with females. The seventh happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. So you know, this is just a guy who feels secure just physically abusing at random members of the COLT. And this is probably another part of like what keeps people in line is just like this fear of being beaten, of being targeted like this. Now, as is usually the case with colts, there were, as I've said, numerous red flags and signs that shit was wrong well before the raids. In twenty fourteen, they were audited for massive tax fraud. They lost their taxi status at least twice over the years, and in both instances got it back after less than a year. Groups like Trinity published and directly mailed detailed reports about suspected fraud of the irs, but this did not create any kind of public outrage or knowledge of what was going on, in spite of the fact that by twenty sixteen, local police and Taylor, Michigan had received at least thirty calls about JMMI. Some of these were non issues, but others were complaints from friends and family of cult members, and in one case there was a bomb threat made by a former member against the organization. According to the police report, the man was quote angry that God created him, but he couldn't kill God, so he would kill the pastor of JMMI.
Speaker 2: I mean go.
Speaker 1: For hid by fine man. In this case. You picked the right guy. But there was no like, there was no evidence that he actually did anything. And when the police responded, they're like, do you want us to search the church for anything suspicious or a bomb dog? And church officials like, no, you don't need to come inside. We're good.
Speaker 2: Don't worry about it.
Speaker 1: Don't worry about it. In June of twenty eighteen, a former jam My member reported an assault at the church. This woman said that she had been there five days earlier to see her father and sister, who were both members, and once she was entered, she was confronted by church members about her bad attitude and told to leave the church, and then was forcibly pushed and pulled from the property. A few months after that, a father requested help from the police and getting his son out of the building. He told them that his son worked at the church but he wasn't sharing with capacity, and police agreed to help and call They classified it as a mental health commitment. So several officers like showed up and waited for the son to come to his father's vehicle, and when they did, the officers like handcuffed him and put him in the back of a patrol car. While this happened, several minute suits were filming outside of the buildings, like there's stuff like this going on for years. And twenty seventeen, a guy in his late fifties dies of natural causes during a pro group at JMMI, and when police and firefighters arrived at like two fifteen am, they quote observed a group of people chanting and singing, touching and pressing down on the body. One witness told the police that when people prayed at the church, all of them faint under the light of God. She told police officers that the dead man was sleeping and God will wake him up soon. Police took the body obviously, they found a stack of credit cards and ID and turned them over to his wife, and the cause of death was, you know, just heart disease. But like, yeah, it's just one of these like oh weird that instead of calling an ambulance, they're just like standing around this guy and trying to bring him back to life through prayer. Right, that's a little bit sketchy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like first responders, but they're just praying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, So anyway, that kind of stuff is around for a while until a little bit earlier this year. Just really a couple of weeks ago, an FBI raid cracks down on multiple properties, including the mansion in Tampa where one of the leaders lived, his second in command live. That was carried out in August, and then later there's raids on their Taylor, Michigan facility, and a bunch of other different call centers like five or six all around the country. The FBI raid revealed fifty seven victims of forced labor living in the Florida Mansions. That's just one of the buildings. I don't think we know entirely how many victims have been found yet, and I don't think they're fully done with the raids at this moment. Right now, David Taylor and Michelle Brannon, his second, are accused of running a forced labor and money laundering scheme through their church. They have are being charged with quite a few different felonies right now, so we'll see what actually happens. Like, I don't know how much it's worth kind of going into the details of the legal case against them, but they're like they're looking at some pretty serious charges right and hopefully they won't be free again. I guess it's one of those things that it does seem like they flew too close to the sun and the FBI has them kind of dead to rights here. Like, I'm not optimistic about their chances of getting out of any of this.
Speaker 2: Jesus is definitely not his friend anymore, for fucking sure.
Speaker 1: No, not his friend anymore. So at least we've got kind of a happy ending, right.
Speaker 2: It's crazy though when you look at this, like, Okay, this is obviously huge, making loads of money, just horrible levels of abuse, but it's not even one of the big ones, you know, Like how many more of these are going on right now? That is what worries me, man. And yeah, I will say as well, I do. I'm not religious, like I'm not an atheist, but I'm not religious. But I do hate how these cults use religion always to like ride it into the wall and just do the most crazy stuff, because there are loads of people who are very religious who are doing the nicest stuff ever, you know, not because they're religious, but they just they do nice stuff and they're religious, and yeah, it's like, well done, guys, you've just completely fucking purposely misinterpreted and ruined something for your own gains. I mean they all do it. I mean, whether it's you know, some kind of horrible sex scandal in whichever religion or whatever, it's like there's always someone that is cynically just going, yeah, let's just use this what should be a good thing and then just absolutely do evil with it. It's yeah, it's very It's not exactly there's very few redeeming qualities to come out of this story other than eventually they got caught.
Speaker 1: Eventually they got caught, right, and they got caught. I mean the level of success these people saw. The primary church banking account had over forty one million dollars in it, right, So like whilst people are doing really well, and like the the indictment has reported a bunch of transactions you're just between twenty eighteen and twenty twenty from Taylor and Brannon that included one hundred and twenty five pounds of super colossal red king crab legs, six seafood shears and thirty crab cutters, ten thousand, three hundred and fifty three dollars and forty four cents, a Mercedes Bins for sixty three thousand dollars, a Bentley Continental seventy thousand dollars down payment, a Crown Line boat one hundred and five thousand dollars, two jet skis and one jet ski trailer, twenty four grand five ATVs, thirty one thousand dollars, rolls, Royce cullin an one hundred and twenty three thousand dollars least signing payment, and then at least four bulletproof automobiles or at least bulletproofing on automobiles. It's a little unclear witch to me based on how they're the indictment's written. But yeah, did you have that great stuff?
Speaker 2: Like I hear all that and I'm like wow, like, you know, on break my ass to do all these projects, and you know, be an independent journalist.
Speaker 1: Is just start a cold.
Speaker 2: That should just be an evil colt guy and I'll literally be able to buy it.
Speaker 1: I think it every day, think it. Every day.
Speaker 2: I get like bulletproof cars and fuckings like, yeah, oh my.
Speaker 1: Gosh it, that's the grift. Fuck, that is the what am I doing?
Speaker 2: If only we were completely evil, you know.
Speaker 1: Right, if only I gave up my soul entirely, the amount of money I could be making.
Speaker 2: Holy shit.
Speaker 1: Well that's a good retirement plan at least.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks for that.
Speaker 1: M Well, all right, you got any pluggables to plug before we roll out here? That is Part two.
Speaker 2: Honestly mostly sad oligarch too. As I said in the last episode, I'm really really happy with this. We've we've had to really scrape at the research on this, even people, we've reached out to are just like it's like brick wall, you know, and it's very hard to get information. But we've we've really made it work in a way that I think has it's kind of come out even better the limitations actually because you kind of have to go around the houses to get there, and on the way you find a lot of interesting stuff. So yeah, sad Oligarch too definitely checked that out. And Popular Front is always booming. But also I've got a new documentary series you can plug that Await Days that is it's gonna it's it's we've got the first episode is out, but it's you know, it's a very very big, big project, which you know, we haven't been enough more than we can tube almost it's like we almost did. But yeah, if people go to uh, you know, YouTube dot com slash at Awahite Days TV, obviously it's the video version of a lot of the stuff they would have heard in the doc here in the in the podcast that we did excellent.
Speaker 1: Well fucking check that out, sad Oligarch, Away Days and Popular Front all of Jake Hanrahan's vast media empire, and yeah, join us cult when he finally starts one. Yeah, soon us I've started a cult by then, in which case.
Speaker 2: We can just we can just call that a cult fight.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, uh, there we go. All right, everybody, this has been Behind the Bastards. Next week we'll be back with maybe a slightly different cult brilliant.
Speaker 4: Behind the Bastards is a production of cool Zone Media. For more from cool Zone Media, visit our website Coolzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Behind the Bastards is now available on YouTube, new episodes every Wednesday and Friday. Subscribe to our channel YouTube dot com slash at Behind the Bastards