Speaker 1: Hey, vacation, you need a lawyer.
Speaker 2: Here's my business. I'm attorney Howard Ank. You or someone you know has been heard it. Work Ank and Law and get the medical bills paid, the lost wages reimbursed in the compensation you deserve. Hey, we're one of the largest filers throughout the state of Illinois of workers compensation claims. We're here to help call three one two six million injury law made personal. That's ankin Law.
Speaker 3: From your favorite source for Chicago White Sox Talk, delivering news, interviews, analysis and more. This is The Sox Machine Podcast with your hosts Jim Margolis, James Vegan, and Josh Nelson.
Speaker 4: You know, there was originally I didn't want to come out, you know, a couple of weeks before they'd asked me to go.
Speaker 5: I just, you know, I kind of wanted to let things play out.
Speaker 4: And really, you know, I'd never been out to the Midwest for the most part, and i'd never been out to Chicago.
Speaker 5: I was very hesitant to go out there. I just because I.
Speaker 4: Didn't know what I was getting myself into. But you know, the second that I got off the flight, and you know, Josh Barfield picked me up from the airport.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 6: I mean, I I was wide eyed the entire week.
Speaker 4: I mean I was there for three days, and you know, and I was when I was leaving the field h after Montgomery's walk off. You know, I told them I wish I could have stayed for another week, but you know, the whole experience, you know, being able to go to dinner with gets in bar Field, being able to you know, I walked, They dropped me off at the hotel right after dinner, and I'd sat and I walked around Chicago till two am, you know, just trying to understand, you know, what it's all about and see everything that has to come with it.
Speaker 5: And then you know, the next.
Speaker 4: Day, getting to sit down with Fuller, and then you know, walked again for five more hours before the game, and then being able to go to the game, meet everybody, see the stadium, meet the players, see the dynamic. You know. I just I left, you know, you know the next morning and called my agent and told him that, you know, that's where I want to be, and you know, just he's got to do whatever he can to make it work because I know that that's where I want to be, and I hope that they feel the same way about me, so, you know, being able to work it out on the long end, I mean, the tiers were all happy tears.
Speaker 5: I'm very excited to be a part of it.
Speaker 4: You know. I fell in love with the city while I was out there, and I'm just I'm very excited to get back.
Speaker 1: That was Chicago White Sox first overall, big Rock Cholowski, which you'll be joining the organization and on Sunday along with Landon Tomey, who the White Sox selected thirty fourth overall throughout the First Bitch on Sunday's game. So quite the weekend for both. Quite the weekend for the Chicago White Sox. I'm Josh nel sit alongside Jim Margolis demanding Editive Sox Machine and our beat reporter James Vegan who is in Philadelphia covering the All Star Game for us at Sox Machine. Again, we cannot thank our Socks Machine subscribers enough. Thank you for your subscriptions as it allows us to send James on the road to be in Philadelphia to cover the games for us. And he just got a chance to chat with Caleb Botomer, who is part of the Futures Game in Philly. It's been a very busy weekend for us at Sox Machine. But let's start with what happened on the field for the White Sox as they sweep the Sacramento Athletics and in very convincing fashion, So they get swept James by the Boston Red Sox. They only score two runs in those three games. Then they turn around and they hold the Athletics to just two runs in three games. It really felt like the White Sox needed a sweep to rinse out the bad taste from the Boston series. And as far as like statement series wins go, especially as far as Friday, how did the clubhouse feel after that big win against the Athletics.
Speaker 5: I mean they won like a million to two or one, and Trystan Peters had a cycle, so they were in they were in decent spirits. I would say, it's just kind of like it's we're looking at this like through our lens of like how are the White Sox doing? Whereas like Boston is like it's basically the hottest team in baseball. Yeah, went and swept the Mets as well.
Speaker 1: What is it now? Nine straight wins.
Speaker 5: I believe so yes, Wow, like eight of ten when they were coming into the White Sox, So what is it fortunate sixteen or something crazy? Whereas like the A's look like they don't want to be around anymore. The Watts, Brent Wibrookers of the season like a couple of weeks ago, and then Nick Kurtz like, has this you know, Malady pop up where he's on the I L and he's gonna miss the All Star Game, And you had Sean Burke openly saying like, yeah, lineup's a little different. Basically just challenge everyone. Heaters like trying to make sure the bases are clear when Soda Shrum and Langliers are up, but otherwise I'm good. You say that I'm good part. But that's like the subtext from it, Like this became like a lineup that's pretty short in terms of like things he really has to worry about. So like in some respect, you know, people complain about a team like playing people can plain about a team in any form, but like you know, playing down to their competition. The White talks doing the opposite of that, Like they got beat by a team that's plain amazing and they crushed the team that wish the break was two weeks earlier. So yeah, they certainly look better. Uh certainly, like you know, in terms of like the way Martin, Martin and Burke like wound up with the same first half so to speak, you know, because they existed. I think Burke has a little bit more innings, but like they came to it in different ways. But Martin pitches in that you know series where they look out of sorts because he's kind of you know, dragging to the finish and Burke is like, you know, pitching out his mind. Uh to get to the end. You kind of had like your your starters who were you had kind of a flip in the namack though, I've no Schultz had to kind of get right outing with the A's as well. But yes, it looked good. Yes they got Murray coming back. Yes that it was like provided to Jolton. You know, they had you know, two guys added to the All Star team and that was like a lot of excitement and momentum as well. There's also like a you could just say like, hey, they paid played the team that's playing great, you know the hawk else when you play the line they played playing awful and you know it's bad and Jonah him who was basically cut from the Rangers for not hating enough for a catcher last years, like clean up in half of these games, and they just look like they can't mount anything or really stop anything. Even like JT Gin on Sunday, it's having a really good year. I wouldn't question that there's ability there, but you watch him, it's like this guy is like misfiring wildly with ninety one. This doesn't seem like it's going to work, and then sure enough it doesn't. So it it feels like maybe they haven't swung so much in the week as much as their competition has.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 1: The White Sox a fifty and forty five, and when you compare to where they were at the All Star Break last year, Jim, the White Sox are already nineteen games better in the standings than they were a year ago heading into the All Star Break. So quite a few highlights, none bigger than Tristan Peters hitting for the cycle. Jim and we talked a little bit about this during the live stream when we are leading up to the first overall pick, But just how improbable it is for Tristan Peters to produce the way that he has for the White Sox and now he is an All Star. What do you make of this sudden honor for Tristan Peters to be part of the American League All Star Team.
Speaker 6: It's surprising on a couple levels. There's just a matter that Tristan Peters was acquired for cash by the White Sox, and usually those deals don't work for them in any meaningful sense. So the fact that he's gone from afterthought to even during spring training, more of an extra player somebody might see over the course of a season to somebody who is suddenly an integral part of everything is a shocker. Also, like a shocker that he made the All Star team just because he is like kind of not a product to wins above replacement, but like everything kind of reflects his value. His defense's offense, his doubles more than homer power, but he's in a lot of doubles. Like everything, He's generating a lot of value in a lot of ways. But aside from his average, which is over three hundred, nothing really stands out. It's the entire thing. So it's cool that as you see some remnants of advanced stats versus traditional stats, counting stats et cetera. That Peters, who probably would be largely overlooked were it not for wins above replacements in other seasons, just because he has six homers because of the platoon situation he found himself early, didn't really up the counting stats and like the other Triple Crown categories, urban hits, like he's even a little late on plate appearances for an everyday player. The fact that, yeah, you look at the wins above replacement leader board, especially for rookies, and he's snuck up on everybody as they're trying to figure out replacements for the All Star team. It's cool that somebody like him, who is a well rounded player who's contributing to the White Sox in so many ways, does get recognized like that.
Speaker 1: And then yeah, so looking at Peter's stats so far, three ZHO one batting average is Jim mentioned Peters has got twenty doubles this year, and he's got three triples along with his six home runs, thirty six RBIs, and he's got five stolen bases. I mean, he's never been that big of a base Steeler, but I think it would kind of surprise people if Tristan Peters did find himself, Jim hitting ten home runs, but thirty five doubles is forty doubles within reach. If Tristan Peters gets and used to hit for power that he has in the last couple of months.
Speaker 6: Yea possible, especially since there's nobody really challenging is playing time.
Speaker 1: And then the other big highlight on the offensive side for the White Sox was the return of munatakamer Kami. Not the greatest series, James, you mentioned that the reason why the White Sox wanted to bring him up for this series before they all start break was to break some rust. There's a lot of rust for munatakamer Kami. He struck out seven times, he was one four eleven this weekend. He did walk twice. He did have an RBI on Friday. You were there on Friday. A lot was going on for the White Sox on Saturday. How did munatakamer Kami look to you?
Speaker 5: Like, yeah, rusty, like on time, Like you know, not that he doesn't have swing and miss on the fastballs of his own when he's rolling, but like he certainly was doing that a lot in a way, like you look like not quite up to speed, like this is his fifth game in the last like six weeks thing. But it's funny, like him talking about the home run derby, He's like basically saying, like, the invitation was on the table for a while and I was on board, and really the only question if I could do it was if I got back off the IL before the All Star break. So in terms of like motivation to get him back, like he wanted to do this thing, like he immediately said yes, and you know the added incentive, you know, him clearly being in line to be an injury replacement for the All Star Game. As another thing about being back off the IL, I think, you know, he wants to be here, like he certainly he's I don't even think it's like is it a selfish thing? But it's like he came to the US to like basically try to conquer this league, to try to test the skill. So being part of the showcase, I think to him as part of what he's doing here, maybe more so than it's you know this the way we see it as like a crowning achievement of a career for like a domestic player. So I think some of it was like, yeah, let's get some real games in you know what, he's healthy. It's been six weeks. He got cleared, he ran the bases, and he got through like full game fine, but not that like he's using these games to get up to speed for the All Star Game. But like if he was going to do this because he'd be healthy, buy it, he'd want to actually like play a little bit and face the live pitching. So maybe the positive thing is like the White Sox scored a bunch of runs granted against the pitching staff that I want to use euphemisms for not wanting to be around and not actual terms, but a team that's looking pretty run down.
Speaker 6: Looking like the White Sox we've seen, like we've seen White Sox teams like that of just crossing days off the calendar.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was doom scrolling recently and I saw it came across as someone who was sharing the clip from twenty four Lenny and getting hit by the practice throw. Yeah, he seemed like a notch above those vibes, but like not not many. I don't know what a point it is, Like it's distracted by so much of the a's are struggling. But the positive is that, like, hey, the offense tick back up again. It was very worrisome against Boston just to see them kind of get you know, stopped like that. It wasn't because they got murra COMI back that what they look like when he's operational. Really, when Teal is looking like what he was in the second half last year, that doesn't quite happen. Yet. Teal is clearly better than what they were getting from offensively catchers already, just by means of getting hits in games. But I as much as like, man, here's our a offense, it made it and then you know, it's never It's not how baseball works. You never get everyone just like hot at the same time, like David Martin talking about the rotation, like they haven't all been hot at the same time at any point this year just yet. And it's not a given it ever does. But you haven't seen that yet. So theoretically hopeful there is still a level that they get to, at least in terms of consistency, from getting Murakami, from getting Tealed, maybe back up to what we've seen the height of their powers.
Speaker 1: Maybe the home run derby helps for Murakami to know what it's like to hit a home run again in a MLB Stadium since it's been a while.
Speaker 6: An, I mean I did think that with him being un impressed the final series, like it was proof that, okay, you can't say you're ruined him.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean this is a team that uh, you know has Mike Hastle Massle wearing three hats. I said Hassle because of all the hats, and celebrates home runs with a sex song. So I don't think Home Run Derby gets Murakami's mojo going is like any more any less scientific than other things they have going on. They welcome all all approaches.
Speaker 2: All three, one, two, six million, Andrew Law made personal batsank in Law.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be a fun Home Run Derby. I do like the fact that both Bryce Harper and Kyle Schwarber are participating. I think that's a great idea, especially with the Elstar Game being in Philadelphia. It'd be great. If you know, we've been comparing the two ever since he got on this heater for the White Sox and how he started Muna Takomercammy and Kyle Schwarber. That would be one heck of a final if those two were able to make it that far in the derby and of course Schwarber is a well seasoned veteran when it comes to the home run Derby, but will be fun to see on Monday night for Munatakomerkami how he does in the home run Derby. And of course, the White Sox returned to action after the All Star break in Toronto. We'll talk more about that later in the show. With all this offense that happened this weekend, Jim, and it seems like whenever sean Berg does start, something fantastic happens offensively that overshadows what he does in the mound. But it is seven innings, only one earned run, which was a home run. Burke didn't walk anyone, he struck out nine. He's hitting ninety nine miles per hour with this fastball. In his last seven appearances, Sean Burke only has a two point nine zero earned run average fifty five strikeouts over forty to third innings In his last two starts, Jim, sean Berg hasn't walked anyone. It's thirteen innings, twenty strikeouts, no walks. I have to admit I did not see this coming from Sean Burke, and it just feels like this kind of race on who is the best starting pitcher for the White Sox, and James mentioned that in a moment ago. It kind of feels like, right now the baton has been exchanged between Davis Martin Sean Burke. If the White Sox need to win a game now, I feel like it's got to be Sean Burke, right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And on one hand, that's probably good just because Burke has always been the one who's the better bat misser. So if you're looking for somebody to start a postseason game, to start a key game, to not be subjected to just batted ballock or bad defense or what have you, that Burke would be your better bet. So I think if you're looking at who's leading this rotation, you rather have it be something like Burke. And the fact that he's gone and earned that title with just dominating performances and he's really looking like he's feeling it out there just the way he's Yeah, I kind of judge it by and this is he's speaking of unscientific I like watching how pictures respond to strikeouts, like I always like Dylan sees how he took his jersey into his pants, like very like like he was bothered that he had to throw the pitches to begin with. Just you're messing in my jersey. I can't wait to get back to the dugouts. Have my fit look exactly like I want to. I like seeing that. It seems like Burke now that he's kind of like just looking at center field after striking guys out, just turns his back on him. And with challenge fastballs, they're like with really good stuff. He's not lucking into strikeouts or he's not living hitters out guests himself. He's challenging him. Like I like that the home run that he allowed was you know it was to Soderstrum, but like it's you have a lead, you don't want to walk anybody or behind the count, just challenge him. He didn't, and he gave him a home at that time. But like, for the most part, his challenges are working because his stuff, his life. His fastball has a lot of hop to it, and then everything's playing off the fastball, and it seems like the fastball unlocks so many things for him. But you know, he spent you know how many years wrestling curveball versus slider, versus cutter, and now he's like throwing all three, he's throwing the cutter without giving up anything, and now he's got two different kinds of sliders, and it just kind of all fell into place, and it seems like, you know, James's written about this with his mechanics and the fact that he's you know, if he's throwing ninety nine, that means his mechanics are right. If he's throwing you know, ninety four, be struggling to hit like ninety six, that means everything else is kind of off. And yeah, he's been sitting high nineties for a while now, and yeah, based on how he's throwing, this is a guy who can lead a rotation even when Davis Martin's better.
Speaker 1: So, James, I don't know, have you gotten any insight on how the White Sox could possibly be reshuffling the rotation. Everybody's going to have extra days of rest at this moment. I don't know if Davis Martin's going to be a late addition to the All Star team. If he's not, and we talked about was that it'd be very late, be very late, right, but with him needing extra rest because he feels gassed. With the way that Burke has been throwing could the White Sox Like I, maybe it's just you soon to be wanting to set your rotation up for the postseason, but everybody's got more rest than usual. Does Burke start that first game for the White Sox after the break?
Speaker 5: It is too soon to start ordering your rotation for the postseason to that point, like as far as like maximizing who needs the rest. Burke has been saying like on off the record repeatedly like I feel great, I'm recovering better than any point in my year, and certainly like the way like his after his last start, He's like, I don't want to break. I want to keep going. I'm rolling like someone even like friendly suggested to him like a happy to like, you know, get a few days off. He's like no, so like he's in a really good spot right now. So like the idea of like him being to someone who like seems like the most closed mouth in terms of needing to get fed. Uh, sure, I would agree with that. The last time I talked with both, I spent all my energy geeking out out about how Jordan Hicks looks recently. So I did not have been looking good in order my bad on that I get caught up on my own fascinations. But in terms of what you're putting down with, like who looks like they are ready to go, I think Burke certainly fits that. Bill Anthony cay Is, you know, one be pretty consistent, has below all year and certainly has been healthy all year and has a pretty good you know, inning space from last season. So I think he's right up there with him. But Burkers, you know, he's been sitting ninety nine for like six seven innings for you know, three four or five starts now, and yeah that you feel good about that for sure.
Speaker 1: And someone that impressed over the weekend Shane Smith for Charlotte. So maybe the White Sox will have an option internally to help out with the starting rotation. We'll know more about what the what will Vetible wants to do with the starting rotation later this week after the All Star break. But man Sean Burke has just been on a heater and as far as cap tips, yeah, Jordan Hicks, he was lights out again on Sunday and I think he didn't throw He threw fourteen bitches James twelve for strikes. I think his first ten pitches that he threw on Sunday, we're all strikes. Hicks is just throwing one hundred miles an hour past everybody in that athletics lineup. Now, I know you mentioned a few times already. Yes it's the a's But is there like a different mentality for Jordan Hicks right now where he's just going to moving forward just challenge hitters with velocity.
Speaker 5: Uh, it's a mechanical thing, so okay, mentality comes from that and the confidence and whatnot. But they he was lower arm slot earlier in the year and like they were like he was really excited about that, Like this feels more natural. This is what they think is going to like, you know, give me more sink But clearly we saw the results were right there, like he have some like his first thing and you come out bee hundred that I would like probably if you brought him out for a second time, like you'd probably see him dip a little bit, or you weren't seeing one hundred every time and obviously spraying the sweeper and he wasn't really like using a forur seingmer at all. Is almost all sinkers and not to believe the point we saw Jordan Hicks, he was not good at the start of the season. Most in terms of control. His heart hit rate was very low, Like as much as he had to like do challenge fastballs, ball behind the count like all the time, Like it didn't lead to a lot of home runs during a hard contact or anything like that. To his credit, while everything else was kind of blacking off. Then he goes on the il as well, so it didn't necessarily keep him healthy. So now he's not quite as high as he's been in other parts of his career. But they're like he thinks he like he wanted to go up a little bit higher, and that was like feedback they said that they got from him, and they tried it out. We're seeing the results, but like to break it down, we're seeing the four seemer come back, and he thinks it's playing like he's getting right on it in a way where it's an effective pitch that he's comfortably using out of the higher slot. The sinker is sinking less. There is a sacrifice, but it's canceled out by the fact that there's now two fast balls you have to cover. So like the fact that like he's getting a little less drop on it is counteracted by the fact that people are like cheating up with their barrels to get on the hiater. He feels like the the slider's uh, you know, a bit more later action and getting whiffs and obviously he's you know, I think he's walked one person since coming off the il so in the zone rates are pretty similar, but zone rates aren't really would tell you what walk he's getting out accounts he's able to attack the zone. It looks a lot better. And you know, his last outing, he hit one on one point six max out like the he felt like he was at him and through the process even without like not hitting it that it wasn't he wasn't getting to his top velo because he didn't feel good or you didn't have health. He felt that was in there and now we're seeing it in there. Like he it one on one point six gets rounded to one o two on the you know broadcast. But yeah, I think he gotta. I think that's a gimme territory. If you're hitting one on one point six, that you'r your best velow is back. You know, one on one one oh five would be great. But he didn't promise that he thought or like he's at one hundred and one oh one again and it looks like he's doing that. And you know, the basic file up question I asked that the bow van Venables, like Jordan Hicks has pitched in leverage before, he's done a little bit of closing even before. Like doesn't this like they pitched him in the six and e of a blowout again, which the last came in the first half. I don't know how much you can really assign like roles to that too much, Like doesn't a Hicks that looks like this reinsert himself into your leverage group and that's not to be Oh, the real trade deadline addition is Jordan Hicks pitching well again, you know, the real freedom is the friends we met along the way something like whatever, Like I wouldn't say that, doesn't this guy like insert himself into this leverage mix where we're talking about this is you know, more than just Sir Anthony Demingez trying to get him back and then Sewan Newcomb, Grant Taylor and Brian Hudson and then the rest is kind of mixing him matching where you you know, see a fit or could match up the works for it. So they have generally been like, yeah, why not. We certainly explore that we haven't necessarily seen and maybe there hasn't been the best opportunity for it. They've either been not scoring at all so they're trailing against Boston or obliterating the Athletics, So the second half will really show it. But I think it has to be like we're all seeing this. I think it has to be tested at some point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Sir. Anthony Dominguez also pitched another scoreless outing for the White Sox, so if those two can get back on track, that definitely helps out the end of the bullpen for the White Sox. Additional cap tips so the offensive side. Brady mcgomery went two for four on Sunday, hit a home run and drove in for RBIs. Jim, I mean, we just continue to rave about Miguel Vargus five for twelve this weekend, three doubles and a home run and three RBIs. I'm just we're running out of things to say, but we have to do our due diligence. They'll tip our cap to him, because it's like, again, so much happened this weekend. It's like, oh, by the way, Miguel Vargas almost hit for five hundred, and he had four extra base hits in this series.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the home run was off a position player, but he's had so many warning track flies or just missed it, or you see like the follow through and from the center field camera or briefly optimistic until you see like the head slump right before the camera cut and you realize like, oh, you didn't get enough of it, and it goes like three hundred and forty feet, so he left center. So he's had enough of those, I think to where he could take a position player just throwing junk and go to town just to get the homer that he missed from previous swings and make up for it. But yeah, the other hits were valid, slash key important, driving the ball, adding runs on the board, adding them to his stats. All good.
Speaker 1: And on Saturday, Chase By drought of the game winning hit his Cols Montgomery scored in first base. It was the only run scored. Drafts RBI double was clutched and Andrew Bennett, and he went two for seven. He had two doubles and he walked twice, drove in four. He scored four runs. So when Venettendi got on base, he was scoring. So great weekend for the White Sox. Again they are fifty and forty five heading into the All Star break and again those All Star festivities happening in Philadelphia. But also this weekend was the Major League Baseball Draft, and if you follow us on Soxx Machine, we've been covering this draft every week since mid February. We've been posting a lot of video content. More will be coming your way as the MLB Draft is finally over. The White Sox had twenty one picks in the twenty rounds and in the end, James Vegan I spent all this time and we knew back in December he's gonna be Rock Schlowski at landed Toby and look what happened and landed to me with the first two picks for the White Sox. You got a chance to chat with Rock, and we heard Rock at the beginning part of this podcast, and it really sounds like until like mid June when he came to Chicago for the first time, he was still uncertain about the White Sox. But it was that I guess recruiting trip him staying with the White Sox a couple of days that not only did it convince the White Sox that Rock was the direction, but also convinced Rock that this would be a good spot for him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, we have now demonstrated value of their big week against the Dodgers and Braves that they apparently sold Rock Scholowski on the organization during the process, you know, he talked about the team atmosphere like I feel like I've been hearing more and more initially organically and now they all say it and they are self sustaining, but like they refer themselves as like a college atmosphere in the club house in terms of kind of the interpersonal connection and certainly like the emphasis on like scrappiness and like these hard nose plays, and you know, almost to a degree, probably their celebrations they aren't like all like doing helmet taps or anything like that, but it feels like that's not far off from their dugout at this point. So he mentioned liking that, Like I asked him, like, especially because like he had such a central leadership role on the on UCLA, like is this how you'd want You're like, you're is this what you tried to like facilitate And he seemed to like vibe with that. But for me, my angle was obviously him mentionally like how much he you know, connected Ryan Fuller, And it was like very like, what's it like New York Times wedding page meet cute description, like it was supposed to be a forty five minute lunch, but then they found themselves talking for hours sort of saying, but the larger takeaway is that you have and I think it's unique, and you know, probably in a moment where we're less inclined to trust what the white socks are doing, maybe troubling how much she's like, I don't how often do you hear first overall pick where they're talking about fixing a swing, both surely repeatedly, not like it wasn't even Fuller the one doing it, but like gets and Shirley talking about like, we really think their offense components that we can improve, and the part of them being willing to say that so openly, where you know it's even like kind of known that they're going to be altering a two strike approach, if not junking it entirely already, is because they got so much buy in from him about what plan they presented, and to some degree, like that's the way the wind has been blowing for a while. You need people you bring in the organization to be down with what your player development plan is. It just feels new for the White Sox to be like one in tune with that, but also like impressing people or getting comments on how they're pressing people with it. So I think, obviously time will tell, and you know you, we probably had our evaluation. That's certainly heard from other scouts and other teams that like liked Emerson more. But at least their process seems more defendable in a way. Even if this feels like the draft class, like a White Sox front office from twenty twelve would pick where it's the I was the Hall of Famous son and the college the super polished college favorite that everyone said was the number one pick the whole time. It seems like who they would have picked. Yeah, like back in like old baseball perspective days, we'd like do free agent predictions and then compare it to Randy the random number generator, which was just an algorithm that picked the team, and Randy usually outperformed us a little bit. I feel like, Josh, you could like, did all this work and all this like background to have this understanding of the class and like median score Collar probably would have like you couldn't outperform them, You couldn't match them, maybe, but like there's no like you're their accuracy with the first two picks, you could you could not hope to outperform.
Speaker 1: Well, I get it was worth it then, Jim to go to Arlington, to go to Omaha, to go out to the suburbs of Chicago, to stop at Marriot Catholic to watch Land and Tony, and stop at the original Rilios to bring back my wife her favorite pizza in the area. It was all worth it for us at Socks Machine to put in all this effort.
Speaker 6: Stick about how much money you saved us with.
Speaker 1: Photos and videos and yes, yes that's true. Yeah photos, Yeah they're not.
Speaker 6: We not have to use tokens for our photo wire nor binding b roll. He took care of all of that, So thank you.
Speaker 1: You are very welcome. Well, it is something that you know I wrote Jim. You know the cases for in cases against what James mentioned was the case against rocks Zlowski is that he is not as polished offensively as we thought. Last December But with James's reporting and what he heard from like White Sox personnel and the front office, Mike Shirley and Chris gets about the adjustments that they want to make with Rock. You pay attention to the minor leagues every single day, and we don't know yet podcast listeners where Rock is going to be and when he will start his minor league career with the White Sox. But I feel like this is something that we will have to pay attention to, is how is he doing when he is facing two strikes and how he is faring when he's facing much better pitching. If I had the guess, I'm sure it's with Winston Salem and Hia initially to start. Maybe you give him a little bit of a leash because he's joining a minor league team in August and we wait to see how he's really faring to start twenty twenty seven. But at least we can all identify now what the White Sox are trying to work on with him, and that's far easier in my opinion, to see on how he transitions from college to professional baseball knowing what we're supposed to be looking at on the adjustments that they want him to make.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think there's enough noise or weirdness with college players like pro debuts to where you don't put a whole lot of stock in what he does. If he goes to Winston Salem for the rest of the year, I think I'd really be judging what he does after a full off season of work. I think he should be able to work with White Sox coaches over the winter, like even if there is lockouts, because I don't think he's subject to it if I have it right, So you know, they should be able to, you know, have some off season consultation and a normal winter in that regard, and then go to an affiliate in April, and that's probably when i'd start judging him. But yeah, no, it's.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think the work that you did in terms of like comparing him versus Grady Emerson versus bon Lackey, like that's going to be valuable down the road no matter what, just for you kind of the historic perspective as we evaluate this draft class, you know, two three, five years down the line of just what were people thinking at the time, how were these people seen at the time, And then you know the fact that you said that you know, I don't know if I was approached like it might have to work on it. Then you have Mike Shirley and you know Chris got saying like, yeah, it's got to work on it. Like all right, at least I'm not crazier. At least you know, they're not trying to sell something that that I was seeing that we're setting off my alarm. So I think everybody, you know, even if you'd liked Emerson more for that particular pick, I think everybody can come away satisfied seeing the same thing and just having either different confidence or just you know, they have me maybe some internal confidence based on just what they know, you know, in discussions amongst themselves under the hood, et cetera. You know what they can do to go about it, and all the conversations they had before the pick about how open he is to it, Howard I got heard it work in the WABS.
Speaker 5: My boss doesn't believe me.
Speaker 2: Ake in Law has over one hundred attorneys and stuff ready to work for you. If you've been hurt on the job in a car accident or suffer the medical mistake, call three one two six million.
Speaker 1: Well out of the twenty one players selected, and we're writing recaps on all the picks that the White Sox have made on soxmachine dot com. So if you're busy this weekend with family vacations and you're just catching up again, go to soxsmachine dot com and read as far as our retire covers them will be draft. We also have other videos as well. I cut together thanks to James to get the interviews with Chris Getz and Rock Schaalowski, getting both of them to talk about the journey and how the White Sox and Rock Shallowski ended up knowing that they were a great fit for both the White Sox and Schelowski himself. You can check out that video again on YouTube dot com Slash Sox Machine. But out of all the lawyers that were drafted and getting a chance of being the zoom conversations with Mike Shirley James, which player or players are you intrigued and who the White Sox drafted over the weekend.
Speaker 5: I am either cheating or being selfish. I am saying Wine Gardner because I've seen White Gardener. He was at Super sixty and he was like they a lot. It's all like seeing them collect measurables and a lot of it is like how important is this? Like you know, you watch like certainly like the extreme ends or the like the you know of the sixty yard dash. You know you kind of notice it a little bit, but like you watch like a bunch of guys like run fifty times, like over and over again, or like or even try to rerun times to like try to bump it up the vibe. You're like, what are we doing? Is this really? Or seen in field drills of guys who aren't at stick where or just watching them hitpp and like it doesn't necessarily like you can see them like smoke the ball a bunch of times, but are you really like seeing how much their ability to move the barrel across his own from from coach pitching, so the shortcoms but through that Winegardner was just like, well look at that little freak move, Like that guy is super fast. He's one of like the fastest guys in the certainly in the dash. But just like you do, like everything he was doing it was like at higher speeds and it was like kind of like he was gangling away where like you could see like projection in it, but also just made like the way he moved around like a little weird, just like weird looking, and so like he caught my eye. He didn't necessarily like oh, this guy's like super refined or like close or like polished or anything like watching like Santarelli take BP or something like that, but it stood out and wait like it was an interesting project, and like the round it's at certainly is like in that realm of like I'm trying to think of the right name. Is it James Beard? It was the Speeds there I always where like am I just saying the cookbook? Yeah? Together? And then James was fourth round? Right, this this is obviously later around, but it feels like what if you just got like a really toolsy, fast guy, like someone who looks like a physical freak kind of bit you think of them more as like how they convert them, you know, on the football field, as like they know their return punts or something like that, or in basketball like they're they're all loose balls and hustles or something like that. They obviously have some confidence and it's almost like I want to say, Ryan Fuller is like Pucci, but like there's some in all the picks they like, especially in a position player. You it's the logical question you want to think, like what does Fuller think of this? And that was like an example where Schillery pull it out like they think they can do something with this hit tool, which is what the fact that the one thing that's kind of missing that makes everyone feel like this is a little scary prospect. They kind of have to be pretty high on him to have him be one of the four, uh, you know, prep picks that they went for. But in terms of like where there's so much investment in top of this draft and obviously they spent a lot of value on the top of the draft for this to be kind of more of a interesting wild card that they played. I think Cameron Johnson's more the what yeah early referred to as their lottery ticket, But this is kind of maybe a more souped up version of that of like this could be like a fun energic even if like the hit tool doesn't come all the way around. This could be like an Akunya like presence on the roster, where like, if he's not being overstretched offensively for a long stretch of time, you'll watch him do stuff like steal second and pop up in one move and advance that started in a while pitch and be like, ah, that's pretty neat to have someone who can do that on the roster. That's gonna come in handy and sometime, or you know, someone who can absorb a one hundred and five min hour line drift. But Coon, you looked awesome in the A series, like not like huge offensive ceiling awesome, but like, oh, this guy's physically very talented. I get why they weren't rushing out the door to part with this wine garden. You're watching him move around, you could get like kind of similar es of like, yeah, having someone who's super fast and twitchy could definitely prove useful in some form down the road.
Speaker 1: How about you, Jim, which players did the White Sox draft catch here or intrigues you the most?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 6: Mentioning the Fuller connection anytime anybody's taken from Connecticut jumps out to me because Aaron Hill, Birmingham meeting coach, also from Connecticut. You mentioned that de Pino came from Connecticut like his territory, Ryan Fuller territory, and so tenth rounder Matthew Boucciero fits that bill, although he struck out like sixteen times and twenty six plate appearances in the Draft League, so like it's not necessarily huge things. But just I see Connecticut, I think, like, Okay, Bradon will come. We saw him at Vanderbilt when I tagged along with you for that series against LSU, and he kind of reminded me of Avi Garcia a little bit, just in terms of huge guy, pretty good speed, doesn't look like the other players in the field, but I think just more swing and miss in the game. I think, like a little bit more. The hit tool isn't what Avi had, so like that would be a big project, I think for him in the twelfth round. I think Vultuko is like a good first picture taken the third round. I think he's pretty interesting from what I saw, But I think like it's kind of cheating to say Land and Tony uh in terms of how I'm interested, But I'm just I'm fascinated by this whole process that led to him, and it's it annoys me to see it people saying it's destiny. It's like, it's not destiny. You traded the thirty to acquire the thirty fourth pick, You worked for this. This is not something that just fell into your laps like using the nineteenth round, like, oh, I guess this is what we want all along. No, it's you specifically traded a useful major league player to acquire Land and Tony and just the way people are talking about it, and just like the mathematical odds are kind of being set aside right now because like Gonzalez in his present state of being, Yeah, I would say useful major leaguer, whether he's a second division starter or more of a role player on the bench, kind of filling in different positions. Fascinated to see how he handled shortstop and pitched on a part time role and just kind of rolling bouncing around between different positions. Really want to see what he does there. But he's basically like a median to good outcome for the thirty fourth pick. You know, he was taken in fifteenth I think overall when he was taken, so like that's a little bit disappointing, especially given how he started his pro career, but in the form he currently is, like that's you know, for a thirty fourth overall pick, it's pretty good that you're getting a useful major leaguer. Out of a thirty fourth pick. That's kind of a median to good outcome. And they're taking that and saying, well, we're rolling it into Land and Tony rolling it into a high school pick, even though we just saw the value of having Gonzales as a reserve bats to fill in if you Murakami goes down, or like if Colson Montgomery's back finally acts up too much, like Gonzales could fit in there too, And they're taking that layer protection away to roll into Tony, And just like everybody's cool with it, and I'm you know, it struck me as like and you are not. Well, I mean like it's just a lot of confidence to be putting into a high school pick who's uh, you know in the you know, competitive balance round. And yeah, perhaps he'll be well equipped to handle it because he's the son of a Hall of famer and you know that he just has that kind of exposure to the game and that polish and that just knowledge of how the gears of professional baseball work. We saw all like Gavin Sheets just in terms of how you know, he had this kind of I think composure to him that I think served him well during a lot of bad times and asked to do what he wasn't supposed to do. Uh, And he had this just kind of sense that he knew what he was supposed to be saying and doing, and where he was supposed to be and what kind of like mindset he was supposed to be in all times. And I can see Tony benefiting from the same thing. But it's like you're you're banking on Tony being better than Jacob Gonzalez when Jacob Gonzalez is an okay outcome, And it's just it's a fascinating bets. I think I don't necessarily have a Yeah, I guess I have a small problem with it, But I guess I have a problem with the way. It's like the probabilities aren't necessarily being discussed in a way that you're you're you're It's it's a gut feel play, I think, in a little bit to feel like you can take what you had in Gonzalezes and trade up and get somebody who's a better long term fits in, a more dynamic player. And he might be, but it's a considerable risk they're taking and doing so I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's kind of like we're gonna trade Derek Hill, and then Everson Brera has a concussion, and now it's Junior Perez, who still doesn't look like he's major league ready.
Speaker 5: We'll see how Brea took bat in practice this weekend. That's good both him and Hayes could go on rehab after the All Star Breaker. Think heyes, is a little bit ahead of Prayerra, but like okay right after, but just since we brought him up as much as Prera immediately, like Wiley Coyotes slamming into a wall, like after they made a trade of banking on the idea that he'd be death feels like some sort of lesson in fate. It does seem like he's on his way back.
Speaker 1: For me, with the way that things worked out to pick forty one cole pro Sac. The more that I've been watching as far as his showcases and especially in how he excelled in those showcase games, reminds me of like a left handed hitting version of Caleb Bonnemer. And I don't think he's going to be a catcher. I think from the zoom calls that you have with Mike Shirley James that the plan is for him to be at second or third base. He's got a really strong throwing arm, but I was impressed by his left handed swing. There's obviously no way that the White Sox could have gotten both Tony and pro Sec if they did not make that trade with Pittsburgh. So I'm wondering if that's the way that the White Sox would have a retort to your analysis about trading with Pittsburgh, Jim is, if we didn't do that, then we would have just had landon Tomi at pick forty one. So we like to have both Land and Tomy and Cole pro Sec looking at the long term future for the White Sox rather than Jacob Gonzalez and Land and Tomi. And I think time will tell whether or not if that decision making was flawed, But I do like what I see from Prosec. I'm a bit surprised that he got to the White Sox at pick forty one. Bull Check bulcheck o from Georgia. Just watch how he performed. It is yes, it is joy bull check go.
Speaker 5: Top so far it has.
Speaker 1: If you he watch his performance against Texas which is on YouTube. Fifteen strikeouts, one walk, Easy to fall in love with him? Watch his previous start against Mississippi State in super Regionals, and you could see where the flaws would be coming. And again I strongly recommend to read James's Day one recap because it seems that with these college pitchers the White Sox took, We're going to hear a lot from Brian Vanister maybe in the spring training seem effect ships as far as teaching these guys how to throw sinkers and these kick changes so they have a pitch that's not that could tail away from lefties. I think that's going to be pretty key. But I do like these college arms that they selected their betting on velocity, especially with Camra Johnson will see if he signs and il money defending champions with Oklahoma. I'm guessing he's going to sign with the White Sox. As a junior, he could hit ninety nine miles an hour from the left side. The walk rate is astronomically high, so he is a project that the White Sox will have to work on. As far as control, I'm thinking he's going to be more reliever, but there's so few lefties who throw that type of heat of ninety nine miles an hour that maybe the White Sox can get some type of value out of him in the upcoming draft.
Speaker 6: I will say, seventeenth rounder at kru McChesney saw the name Krew, I thought he's from Utah, and he's from Utah.
Speaker 1: There you go, well done again. We'll have all the recaps as far as the MLB draft and when they do sign and we get those signing bonuses, the White Sox can spend up to twenty one million dollars without any penalty as far as the overage when you take into consideration that five percent overage over their signing bonus pool. So we'll know sooner than later how much Rock's going to sign for, how much Land and Tony's going to sign for. We'll be reporting that on soxmachine dot com. But I hope you guys enjoyed all of our coverage for the twenty twenty six MLB draft And now it's time for me to create copies of all of my Google sheets and start working on the twenty twenty seven m WEILLB draft for the White Sox, which will be hosted in Chicago. But that will do it for this episode of the Sox Machine podcast. Thank you guys so much for listening. And watching. If you haven't subscribed to the podcast version the audio version of this show, you can do so either at Spotify or Apple Music. You could watch the show now on our YouTube channel at YouTube dot com slash sox Machine. We have added many subscribers to our YouTube channel, so thank you to everyone that has recently subscribed. That means a lot to us. If you haven't subscribed to our YouTube channel, and please do so so you are notified when we do have new videos, either of our analysis or our interviews with White Sox players, coaches, and front office staff. Again, our YouTube channel is YouTube dot com slash sox Machine. Follow us on social media. We're on all the platforms at sox Machine. James will have coverage in Philadelphia, so follow him at Jrvegan. You can follow me at sox Machine Underscore Josh and we couldn't do this without you guys, especially our sox Machine subscribers. If you would like to unlock all access to our coverage at the Chicago White Sox, Major League Baseball and his most recent Major League Baseball draft, sign up to be a subscriber at Soxmachine at Soxmachine dot com slash Products, the White sox are still about five hundred, so take advantage of our first month sale and then you get the ad free versions about the podcast the website and also unlocks the comments section as well. Again, go to soxmachine dot com slash products and sign up today. The Sox Machine Podcast is a production of Soxmachine dot com. You're for all of things Chicago White Sox Baseball alongside Jim Marglst and James Vegan. I'm Josh Nelson. Thanks for listening and watching.