Speaker 1: Our daughter Jesse loves playing detective a clue.
Speaker 2: But since we discovered she has sensitive skin, we've been playing detective too.
Speaker 3: We thought the problem was our puppy, but it was actually our old detergent. Uh huh, So we switched to tide Free and Gentle.
Speaker 2: Tide Clean's better than the leading competitive free detergent and it doesn't leave behind irritating residues. Plus, tide Free and Gentle has no dies or perfumes, so it's gentle on your skin.
Speaker 3: Case closed. If it's got to be clean, it's got to be tide free and gentle. They end the fan, good evening.
Speaker 4: Welcome to Vikings Rewind on Kfan and the Minnesota Vikings Radio Network. Vikings Rewind is presented by Omni Viking Lakes and you could book your stay today Just go to omnihotels dot com slash Viking Lake somnordo from nine to noon, always recapping the Vikings game from the previous day, and in this case it was a border battle and it was a victory. The Vikings win twenty four to ten over the Green Bay Packers at lambeau Field, improving to four and four. The Vikings have now won three in a row. The Vikings are now currently a playoff team, believe it or not, after starting oh in three and all the negative things turnovers porous defense. They're running for a mile, then they're throwing for a mile on this defense. So many things have changed over the last five weeks as after starting oh in three, the Vikings have gone four and one as they end October and jump into November.
Speaker 3: Falcons next weekend in Atlanta.
Speaker 4: But the news of yesterday, the news of today, and really the news moving forward with this team is the injury to Kirk Cousins. You saw him limping off the field, then you would hear reports for the remainder of the day into the evening Kirk Cousins his season is over. He has an achilles injury, potentially a torn achilles. There'll be an MRI on Monday morning, just to confirm. But that's what all of the insiders were saying yesterday and unfortunately it was confirmed today. So Kirk's done for twenty twenty three and the team sent out an official release. Head coach Kevin O'Connell spoke at length with the media earlier this afternoon. As a matter of fact, I'm going to play that whole thing back for you in next segment, so you'll get to hear what the head coach had to say, not only in relation to Kirk and the immediate, the moment the injury itself, but what about Jaron Hall, this rookie BYU kid. Is he the answer just for this next game against Atlanta? Is he the answer six weeks from now? Maybe there are calls not Maybe there definitely are calls and text messages and conversations being had about players throughout the league. Maybe some guys getting off the couch and maybe being an answer. It's a significant problem that requires really a lot of work to be done in a very short period of time. As the trade deadline is tomorrow afternoon, so so many things to be figured out with this team, who, in very bittersweet ways, goes to Lambeau handles a team that just is having so many problems right now in the Green Bay Packers. Jordan Love having immense issues as he gets out a climated to being the starter of that operation, can't run the ball, there are injuries, a ton of penalties yesterday in particular, eleven penalties for ninety nine yards. That's helping nobody, and you go there and yet you handle business the way that you did. You dominate that team, but you lose by way of Kirk Cousins limping off the field as he did yesterday. So a lot of that stuff's gonna you get some get some thoughts from the head coach next segment, but so many good things to go over from that game. Now typical rewind fashion, not necessarily going to go play by play, the team wins twenty four to ten. I will play a few highlights for a just some things to be excited about with this team amidst all of the dark cloud hanging over us with Kirk's injury. But you know, I will say things like this like, hey, we we got a rushing touchdown.
Speaker 1: Yesterday, floor and floors, the quiet ramble crowd to get loud hand off back to ay Kirs up the middle of CROUSTI five to the goal line, touchdown Camakers with his first touchdown wearing purple and gold, and the first rushing touchdown of the season for the Minnesota Vikings is a six yard production and.
Speaker 3: Minnesota lead six to zero.
Speaker 4: Suddenly the Vikings are scoring points in the first quarters of games again.
Speaker 3: Love that Now.
Speaker 4: I don't love the two yards per carry in the sixty two total rushing yards.
Speaker 3: That's not good. But albeit eight.
Speaker 4: Games into the season finally getting a rushing touchdown, some thought it would never happen. Now the defense, how about the defense being feistier and more dominant?
Speaker 3: It seems each week.
Speaker 1: On second down, Love with an empty backfield, he's about to be hit.
Speaker 3: And he is sacked.
Speaker 5: Jay one of them up.
Speaker 1: DJ wanted him, and DJ got him. He now has three sacks this season, gets third and seventeen.
Speaker 4: Jordan Love just didn't have a chance yesterday. He was bouncing balls in the dirt. He was running for his life, under fire for most of it. The penalties weren't helping. A lot of third, third, and longs our part of that story as well, but getting after him. DJ Wannam's been on a tear for a month, d'il hunter. He had his tenth sack of the season yesterday. So he continues that high profile, splashy run that he's on in twenty twenty three. And when you're getting after the QB and you're forcing him into bad decisions, well he's gonna turn the ball over.
Speaker 1: Takes the Meyers snap in Minnesota rushes three lovestreet drop fires at center of the.
Speaker 3: Field, even enter step dead. It was picked up in front of Jayden red Hair.
Speaker 1: Comes Josh Mattelis to the fifty, to the party farce tide to the thirty five. Wait so vera packer at the twenty five. He is Josh Mattellis. Massive play by Mattellis.
Speaker 4: And now for the third consecutive game, the Vikings turn a takeaway into a touchdown.
Speaker 3: First and ten.
Speaker 1: From the Green Bay twenty cousins, It's gonna loop one.
Speaker 2: Right cot touchdown Chardin get us in with his seventh National Football.
Speaker 1: League touchdown, gives Minnesota a twenty three to three lead, And for Jordan that touchdown means he has the most in the history of the Minnesota Vikings through the.
Speaker 3: First eight games. Moments like that.
Speaker 4: You look back on that game and you're thinking, Wow, Jordan Addison and those touchdowns that just continue to come in waves and TJ. Hawkinson, great day for him, eighty eight yards in a score. kJ Osborne like a warrior out there with his ninety nine yards, receiving eight catches on ten targets. So many positive things that you can look back on from yesterday. Unfortunately in the end, this is what comes to mind for everyone.
Speaker 1: Cousins goes out of the shotgun on Thurdon nineteen from the Green Bay twenty two. He Jae Howkinson in motion to the left, Kirk facing a three man rush and he stacked come back to back plays that time it was Kenny Klar. Really Kirk kind of stumbled her amble. Now Herk's limping off the field. By the way, Kirk looks like he messed up his right ankle.
Speaker 4: So the Vikings dominate and win the game twenty four to ten over the Packers in a board, but in some ways have lost now given the injury to Kirk Cousins. Before I go to break, there is a Friday Feast. The season continues, everybody, and you can join Pa and Charch and Elk River at Buffalo Wild Wings is Friday nine to noon for the football Feast. It's presented by Corps Light, food and drink specials and a chance to win Vikings tickets and more. Go to Vikings dot com slash bww for a full schedule and details in relation to Kirk. You're gonna hear from the head coach Kevin O'Connell spoke to the media earlier today. I'll play most of that back for you. Next it's Vikings Rewind, brought to you by Omni Viking Lakes on Kfan and the Minnesota Viking. Yes, welcome back to Vikings Rewind, presented by Omni Viking Lakes and put this on your calendars for tomorrow. You can join our guy Mike Mussman along with Vikings great Chuck Foreman for Vikings Country tomorrow night. It's a Halloween edition of Vikings Country at the Saloon in Waconia and it's presented by Miller Light. You can win great prizes, including tickets in the Miller Lite Lounge at us Bank Stadium. Go to Vikings dot com slash Vikings Country for more info in a full schedule. Last segment, you heard some highlights from the Border Battle, a victory that we keep kind of trying to remind ourselves. Twenty four to ten, Vikings improved a four and four. But the a topic with this team right now, of course, is is Kirk Cousins the Achilles injury?
Speaker 3: His season is over.
Speaker 4: Head coach Kevin O'Connell addressed the media earlier today let's listen.
Speaker 6: Learn that Kirk suffered an achilles ten and tear yesterday at up at lambeau Field. We're you know, in the process a determining kind of the next steps and timeline, you know, whatever, what's in the best interest for Kirk, and allowing that process to play out so we can make sure he gets the best possible medical.
Speaker 5: Care that he can.
Speaker 6: You know, me personally, our whole team, our whole organization, we're all, you know, hurting this morning for Kirk, just knowing just how much he's invested into this team and from a standpoint of his leadership and and and what he's you know, meant to every single guy in that locker room, and really what he's meant to me since my you know, my arrival here, you know, last year. And we're gonna miss him, There's no doubt about it. We're gonna miss him. But uh, you know, my expectations are and and I've in my dialogue briefly with Kirk, you know, since yesterday, he has every intent of still being a major, major part of our leadership, a part of the quarterback room, a part of our offense, you know, part of our plans each week schematically like he's been right there every step of the way, and quite honestly, I don't expect anything less from Kirk being the man and the leader that he is, regardless of the circumstances. Is tough of a break with the momentum we have as a team right now, you know, we have to move forward. Nobody feels sorry for anybody in this league, and we know that. I know that, and I know for one thing, I owe it to every player and coach and really every person in this building. They're going to get my best every single day, and we're going to move forward in the same kind of attack mode. We are going out and trying to get a win each and every week and continue to position ourselves to to you know, continue the pursuit of playing more games at the end of the season and getting the opportunity to compete until there are no opportunities left.
Speaker 5: I thought yesterday was encouraging.
Speaker 6: We wake up today two and oh in the NFC North, having one four out of our last five after what was a very difficult start to our season. Really have to challenged the team throughout my messaging throughout this you know, this stretch of twenty twenty three that you know that adversity has has really been a breeding ground for tremendous, tremendous growth within our organization that I think will help us for many, many opportunities to come. But more importantly, it will provide us.
Speaker 5: Some of the tools.
Speaker 6: Maybe not to the extent that it's that it will be coming off of losing our starting quarterback, but it will definitely be something that we'll all need to just do a little bit more.
Speaker 5: It will all need to be just a little bit better.
Speaker 6: And I know there's a thousand ways that I could do that for this team, and I will.
Speaker 5: So I'll open it up to you guys, and what are your plans short term, at least for this week A quarterback?
Speaker 6: Yeah, we're still working through that, Kevin. You know, I did want to see Jared go in the game and function. A lot of the feedback that I got from the guys in the huddle was he was outstanding. Call and plays, cadence, snap counts, you know, center quarterback has changed.
Speaker 5: Those are all things that go through your mind.
Speaker 6: And really knowing kind of our staff did a really nice job of kind of keeping me updated, probably long before anybody else on our sideline really knew.
Speaker 5: What was going on.
Speaker 6: So I was, you know, really using some of those opportunities to show Jared my confidence in him, but also give him some opportunities to play quarterback and and and you know, convert a big third down there, get out of the pocket a couple of times on some keepers, and and and really just kind of start, you know, giving him an opportunity when really all he's done his scout team reps up until this point throughout the season, and he's done a fantastic job getting our defense ready every single week for a lot of different offenses. And I credit Chris and Grant for having him ready to go. There wasn't one blink that I that I felt, or any kind of hesitation on his part.
Speaker 5: So we'll we'll we'll.
Speaker 6: Continue Jared's process of getting him ready to go each and every week if he ends up being the guy, I know, a lot of guy, every guy in our roster has confidence in Jaron.
Speaker 5: We're still working through some things.
Speaker 6: What that may look like to to potentially add another player here, you know, knowing that Nick is also gonna you know, still be out at least, you know, by the rules another week and and we'll see where he's at when that timetable starts.
Speaker 2: Bringing somebody else in, like at a level that they could play.
Speaker 5: Right away or soon.
Speaker 6: I think you wouldn't want to you know, you wouldn't want to say yes or no to that. I think it's all based upon what we feel gives us the best opportunity to beat the Atlanta Falcons. It's going to be a heck of a challenge. Really talented team on defense. They played incredibly fast. You know, I have a lot of respect for Arthur and his staff. Ryan Nielsen's a guy I got to know last offseason really well.
Speaker 5: Think the world to him, and uh, you know, so we're.
Speaker 6: Just gonna have to make the best decision based upon you know, the days of preparation we have and what that picture looks like will be determined throughout the week.
Speaker 3: Quickly to run the offense, you know they did they want You can look up the Josh Freeman table one year that went out and got him, you know, on the fight.
Speaker 5: Is it?
Speaker 3: How hard is it to teach even a.
Speaker 6: Veteran a new system?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I think you know, we've we've really you know what we've done on offensively here, Uh, since we first arrived. I mean even somebody that played previously here, you know, in in last year's training camp. It's it's different, It's it's evolved, it's constantly evolving. Kirk has quite honestly given me the opportunity, uh, you know, to.
Speaker 5: To coach him hard.
Speaker 6: But we've kind of done it together in a way where the evolution of this offense is really kind of morphed, you know, in different directions based upon you know, the last few weeks with j J out or previously adding TJ middle of the season or you know, whatever it's been. So I think it is a challenge, but you know, that's our job as coaches is regardless of when a player arrives or if it's a player's rookie year, whatever the time tables you'd love to be able to be comfortable with. Very rarely do you get that gift mid season in the NFL.
Speaker 5: So that's that's our jobs.
Speaker 6: And I'm going to take it as my personal responsibility to make sure whoever goes out there to play quarter back for us is prepared and ready.
Speaker 7: Kevin, as you're looking for options, how far and wide do you look? Is this guys that you know that have played in a similar system guys to play in the league.
Speaker 5: You think about talking guys.
Speaker 7: Out of retirement, how far do you cast the net?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, you you know, you wouldn't believe kind of some of the things on my cell phone I've received here in the last twenty four hours, in less than twenty four hours, but those that dialogue, it's it's what's going to be best for our ability to win football games. But also knowing we've been living in a world where we want to be as competitive as possible right now while also understand what we're building hopefully for the future at the same time and doing that just trying to make sure the football and what we do between what Flow has done defensively, what we do offensively, you know, is as top of the line as we can possibly make it for our guys, and then constantly be evaluating what's best for our team moving forward. And move forward means the Atlanta Falcons on Sunday. So it's been an interesting, uh you know, kind of period here since you know, about two thirty yesterday, two o'clock yesterday at Lambeau and we'll continue to work through that.
Speaker 5: Home considered you Quasi at a time like this.
Speaker 6: Yes, you know, we we have constant dialogue, communication and trade deadline and everything that's going on. We're uh there is probably no you know more you know, direct communication outside of uh, you know, us getting you know, just an open mic between his office and mind. It might be come in handy here, but I think I feel very very comfortable with our dialogue, you know, my ability to you know, express football wise, you know where I think we're at, where I think we're going. And then I think the important job for me as the head coach is to uh, you know, be open minded to you know, that dialogue and and Quasi and his staff and as we work towards what we think, you know, is the right possible thing for us, you know, really across the board, for our whole team, and that will continue to be ongoing. And quite frankly feel very comfortable with that process.
Speaker 1: And then you've spoken to Kirk this morning and what could he say?
Speaker 4: And how do you talk to a.
Speaker 5: Person on that line?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know I have, And and just more so you know, as a friend and as somebody that I've become really close with him, it's more so about being in support mode for him right now. That's maybe getting him connected with with with you know, some people that might be able to at least give him some advice, players that have gone through it, maybe currently going through it, things like that that will allow him to have, you know, the best possible mindset that I don't worry about one bit because he was already you know, discussing timelines and when he'll be ready to go and and all those things. Kirk Cousins loves playing this game. He loves you know, he takes a lot of pride in playing this game and being as durable as he's been throughout his career. So this is going to be new for him him and that's what my job ultimately is for you know, every player on our roster, regardless of whether they're you know, it's the same for JJ throughout this time. It's the same for Marcus Davenport throughout some of the other players that we've either put on ir have been lost for the season since we've been here.
Speaker 5: I view that as a huge.
Speaker 6: Part of my job, the support and them understanding it's more than just you know, what can you do for us?
Speaker 5: Now? It's more what can I do for you?
Speaker 6: Guys, as you go throughout this process and feel kind of the most comfortable you can feel in a time where it's very very hard to do that. And I do think that's very important, no matter the energy or time that takes for me to do that.
Speaker 4: I mean, you talk about the growth that you've seen come from the rocky start, and you know, the whole organization some examples of that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think the you know you guys have heard me use the response word many many times over these last few weeks. There's example after example of our team. All the response is is is picking each other up and finding a way to make the next play, regardless of if you had anything to do with the previous outcome, good or bad, finding a way to go out there and and make make the play that could set the momentum in our favor for the rest of the day, for a two or three week stretch, whatever it is.
Speaker 5: But I think we've learned to deal with those things together.
Speaker 6: Looking inward and whether it's the defense picking up the offense after a you know, after a turnover, or the defense does turn the football over Josh mattelis yesterday, and then the offense goes out and scores on the next play, just maximizing our ability to play as one. The Minnesota Vikings, regardless of circumstance, play as one in a way that we become very.
Speaker 5: Difficult to compete for.
Speaker 6: Four quarters against by the things we're doing on the field, the talented players we do have, and the fact that collectively it's going to feel like you're playing against a team in its surest, purest form for three and a half hours on a Sunday.
Speaker 3: Brown and Neil talked yesterday.
Speaker 4: When things have got tough for this team, it's brought the best out of you guys.
Speaker 5: How much of that starts with Kirk? And you know where does it come from? Now?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think Kirk had, you know, a lot to do with it. I think all of our captains, all of our leaders. You know, our leadership extends well beyond our eight captains. And you know, I'd like to think the coaching staff plays a role in that as well. But you know, there's going to be a void of on field leadership when you lose a guy like Kirk Cousins. It's just a it's just a fact. Ignoring that would be naive by me. But there's also opportunity, just any adversity in life, regardless of whether you're playing playing a game or it's away from this building. I want our players to always look at adversity as an opportunity for growth. And it's easier said than done, quite honestly. And that's when you have to have a culture of guys that are collectively doing things together. There's there's never finger pointing, there's never blame, deflection of criticism and all that you know, absorb, you know, compartmentalize what you can, process what you can and then we got to move forward because, like I said, nobody's gonna feel sorry for us in any capacity.
Speaker 7: The offense in the last and without Kirk, you have to change the offense just to have a quarterback.
Speaker 5: Maybe it's not doing quite as much of the line.
Speaker 6: Of scrimmage or yeah, I think that it's going to be a natural thing for us to to to basically, you.
Speaker 5: Know, be aware.
Speaker 6: It's just about having awareness and understanding, communicating with whoever's playing, and then ultimately making the decisions that I think are best for our for our offense. As far as uh, you know, you can do a lot of things. You can get carried away sometimes with scheme, and we've seen some great examples of that being very beneficial down to the last little detail that we express to our players. And then we've seen just some playmaking ability as well of understanding never underestimate the power of just putting the ball in play, making good decisions, progressing in rhythm, and allowing you know, the core philosophies and kind of what we've built this offense around really through the quarterback, by the quarterback, and to help the quarterback in a lot of ways. I think those principles have to stay true even if you've got to take a couple of steps back, and I think through that process of doing so, you know where you might be in four or five weeks from a growth standpoint might be more beneficial than anything.
Speaker 5: And then you look back on it.
Speaker 6: And say, did we really change all that much or did we just once again morph and kind of figure out the best way to collectively move forward.
Speaker 5: So I think it's going to be a lot of that.
Speaker 6: Quite honestly, you know this is going to be a challenge, Ben, but it's one that I believe. This is why we're here to help navigate, you know, through tough times and ultimately challenge, develop, encourage and then have confidence that what we ultimately do when that ball gets kicked off, our guys can go play fast and have a lot of confidence to go do some good things.
Speaker 4: It's Vikings head coach Kevin O'Connell addressing the media earlier today and it wraps up Vikings Rewind, which is presented by Omni Viking Lakes and Omni Viking Lakes. By the way, it's a tremendous hotel and it's just steps from the Vikings headquarters and training facility. Learn more check it out at book now just go to omnihotels dot com slash Viking Lakes.
Speaker 3: Next up for the four and four Vikings.
Speaker 4: The Atlanta Falcons and whoever is playing quarterback for the Purple this weekend, we got it for you right here on your home for Vikings Football the Fan.
Speaker 3: I'm Nordo, Thanks for listening. Have an awesome Monday night. What's that sound.
Speaker 2: That's the sound of downy unstoppables sin beads going into your washing machine and giving your clothes freshness that lasts all day long. There it is again, It's like music to your ears, or more like music to your nose. That freshness is irresistible. Let's get a Downy Unstoppable's bottle shape and now a sniff solo nice get six times the longer lasting freshness, plus owed a protection with Downy Unstoppables and wash senteeds