Speaker 1: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome back to the Bob left Sex Podcast. My guest today is singer songwriter Jack Tempchin. Jack. Good to have you on the podcast. Let's start right at the beginning. How'd you write peaceful, easy feeling?
Speaker 2: Well? Do you want the truth or the story that I always tell?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: Tell both? Okay, yeah, yeah, yeah. The truth is I don't actually remember, but I remember part of it. I had a buddy of mine made a poster advertising me when I played in coffeehouses in San Diego, where where I've always lived, and the poster had quotes from people like Joni Mitchell said a real man and stuff like that, which he just made up. He made up this poster. So a guy in El Centro had a coffee house and he hired me to play. I went out to El Centro, and you know, like Warren Zevon's song says, I went home with the waitress the way I always do well, I always tried to go home with a waitress, and this one said, yeah, okay, I'll come back later and get you and take you to my place. So I told the people I was with I wasn't going to need a ride or a place to stay. Well, she never came back, and I ended up in this little It was in a little strip mall. It was this coffee house called the Aquarius, and I just ended up sleeping on the linoleum floor all night and no girl. But I had the guitar and so I started writing on the back of this poster and I wrote a bunch of stuff. And you know when you start writing a song, which stops most people, the fact is that you had a bunch of stuff that's no good and it's really stupid. Then all of a sudden, you look back and you go, hey, that was a good phrase, and you kind of start from there. So the phrase peaceful, easy feeling popped out, and I guess it was kind of about my friend at the time was into zen and this is kind of really early, and there was these concepts like, you know, if you let go of something, that gives your hand free to get something else, and it's only when you stop looking for stuff that you can find it, and so that was kind of the ideas like, yeah, the girl didn't show up, I'm not going to be in love with her, but I'm fine, everything's going to be fine. So I got back to San Diego, and I went to a street fair and I was walking around and I saw this beautiful girl with these turquoise earrings, so I put her in the song. And then later I was on in San Diego and Washington Boulevard at a place called the Der Wiener Schnitzel. It changed now to Wiener Schnitzel. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know why they changed it. I mean, I can understand it. Originally it was Wiener Schnitzel, but we were all accustomed to Der Wiener Schnitzel. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And the other funny thing is, forty years later they had a celebration for me there because I wrote the last verse of the song sitting there waiting for the Polish Dog. And I was amazed, of all the things in San Diego that that place was still there forty years later, the Der Wiener Snitzel, you know, which was now Wiener Schnitzel. And by the way, they gave me that day, they presented me with a solid gold Wiener.
Speaker 1: Literally solid gold, just not painted gold.
Speaker 2: Well, there's at least gold plated. I have it out in my studio.
Speaker 1: And well, I was to say, you know, if we hit the apocalypse and it's solid gold old.
Speaker 2: You could live off that. I could use that.
Speaker 1: So anyway, continue, So you go back to San Diela, go to the street fair. You're waiting for your Polish dog. It's der wiener Stitzel.
Speaker 2: And then I saw another girl and I wrote the last verse sitting there at that table. And they put a plaque that day in the table, and I was very happy to learn later somebody stole the plaque wow table, so they must have cared. And I guess I was ten years ago, because now it's been fifty years. But I always say, you know, if you were a young woman walking around forty years ago by the Dreweener Snitzl, the song could be about you and you'll never even know. And so basically that's the story of how I wrote it. And then I I was up in La Well, before you get up in La Yeaka, you talk about the song being written over a period of time, three different verses.
Speaker 1: The question is what were you eking it out or did all three come from inspiration or did you do like you said earlier, were you just pick and chows what actually worked from what you'd done previously.
Speaker 2: Well, so in those days I had a Stella guitar that I bought in a pawn shop in San Diego for thirteen bucks and came with the string for the strap. And I walked around all the time. I always had that thing with me, and I'd walk around and sing. And so I wrote the song continuously over about three or four days. So I was just kept singing it and adding things, you know, to answer your question, until I got the last verse, and then I had it.
Speaker 1: You know, Okay, just a couple of things. Is that typical of you that the song evolves? I know you're doing your Beach series now, which is similar to that. We'll get to that. Or is it a bolt of inspiration or is it sitting down I have to write a song or is it all of it?
Speaker 2: It's all of it. I guess it's different with every song now. I did try putting myself on a schedule. At one point, I'm gonna go out every day and write songs for two weeks, and I'm gonna it's not the same. I did song a day and that was different. But I just thought I'll do it on a schedule, and I did it for a couple of weeks. I looked at all the songs. I didn't like them, so threw away that idea. But the songs, you just get an idea. Sometimes I'm writing with people, but you just get an idea and you just follow it.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, well we'll get a little deeper as we go on. But peaceful, easy Feeling is now done. Is it just another song you wrote or do you say, no, this one's special.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm playing it for my buddy and I'm I'm finger I'm flat picking it, and then all of a sudden, I finger pick it, you know, and he goes, oh, yeah, now you got something that's really cool, you know. And then later, of course, after Glenn Fry heard it, he went back to flat picking it, you know. But those were just the changes. And no, I did not know that everyone in the world was going to like the song. In fact, I was positive was never going to be a hit song. It didn't have the love chorus. I just I liked it, but I did not. But the other point is, in those days I was in folk music and one of my buddies said, you know, Jack, there's hundreds of dollars to be made in this folk music. So and I thought of it. Recently, the fact that the idea that you were ever going to have a song on the radio or make money from a song was completely foreign to us at that point. You know, I just wrote the song because I was playing in these coffee houses and they all closed in nineteen seventy two. So, just to clarify, a coffee house was a place where they played folk music and they had no alcohol. You know, it was apple cider, and I was playing it three or four of those. So it was just to have songs to sing that I wrote them, and I don't know, I don't know why. I was just into writing them. And okay, but I cut you off. So you went up to La the troubadour Tell me about that. Well, first, I was going to say that, to follow the thread of that song. At some point, I was staying at Jackson Brown's house. He oh that way too fast. Okay, way too fast. You're in San Diego.
Speaker 1: Jackson Brown from Orange County moves to LA just because people traveled. How did you know Jackson Brown? Was it a community at this point or was he just the one guy you knew?
Speaker 2: Well? I played at a place called the Candy Company Folk, a folk house, and Jackson came to play there. And also, this is before quite a while before he recorded anything, but I already had heard his songs. I knew. I actually played a song for Adam, and I played these Days, and I didn't ever play anyone else's songs. So I heard those and thought they were great. So I met John.
Speaker 1: I'm interested because I how did you hear a song for Adam? You know?
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't know anymore. It wasn't when he came down. I already knew the song. So I think people just had heard these songs on the folk circuit and had learned them and were just doing him. And now that's how I heard.
Speaker 1: Them, because these Days had covers. I don't remember a cover of songs for aut him. But continue he comes down to the club, you already know these songs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So that's where I met him.
Speaker 1: And then.
Speaker 2: And the same thing happened with the duo Long Branch Penny Whistle. They came to that club and played, and I asked them if they were really good? And I like those guys. And the place they were going to stay was a place where the lady liked to have what we used to call in counter groups in that era where you'd sit around and they'd pick your brains and try to destabilize you so they could take over your mind. And then the facilitator would sleep with all the women in the in the group, you know. So that was I said, you guys, don't want to go do that, and they go, now, we really don't. So I had a large house had rented with five bedrooms, and there was a hippie pad, we had washed up base in the living room, and my brother and I had a candle shop in the garage, and so they came to stay with us, and every time they came to San Diego, it was Glenn Fry and JD Souther who were in this long Bench Penny Whistle, and so we became really good friends over time, and so that's how I met Jackson, and also Glenn and j D. And then at some point Glenn and JD were living in Silver Lake and Jackson was living right below them, so I stayed up there several times.
Speaker 1: Okay, before you get to that point, Yeah, people don't know how hard it is to make it, and generally the people who make it least on the way up are networking. Did you say, while these people are coming through the club, I need to know them. How did you make the connection?
Speaker 2: Hm? Well, like I always say as a joke, people go, how do you make it? And I go, well, just find some guy. I get to know him and work with him about five or ten years before he gets really famous. It's not that hard, you know. But the real uh, the reality is I was drawn to these people because of my passion for the music, and I just they had it, you know. And uh and I was just drawn to them and anybody else who I thought was great, you know, So you just naturally fall in with those people.
Speaker 1: Okay, you were doing you were on that circuit. Anybody who was great who didn't make it?
Speaker 2: Uh, well that's yes, yes, of course there's always people like that because there's so much more to making it than just your talent. There's a guy, Ray Burrow, you know. So I played at a coffeehouse called the Heritage. The doorman was Tom Waits, and he was not a player. He was the doorman and he collected the tickets and anyway, this an aside. He was a photographer and liked to take pictures of the homeless guys downtown. Great photographs, but they got a piano in the club, so he would stay after hours and practice the piano, and one by one he sold his cameras to pay for piano lessons, and then all of a sudden he was doing these songs like Hope that I Don't Fall in Love with You and Martha and But there was a guy, Ray Burrow, and he used to play there all the time, and Tom and I both would steal any song he came up with. He didn't write, but he he had fantastic songs he would find, so I guess just didn't have the ambition. He's still around, He's made maybe one album. It's incredibly great. But you know, Tom and I stayed in the music, but he didn't. And then I've known a lot of guys who were super talented. They're in every town, everywhere, but they don't have they don't have the personality. A lot of people are just as soon as they get close to the flame of fame, they run away, you know what I mean. They can't handle it, and it takes a huge collection of talents to really make it happen. Ambition, you know, dealing with people, aligning yourself with other great people to make the music and all that.
Speaker 1: So yeah, okay, so let's go back to Peaceful Easy Feeling. You went up to stay with Jackson in silver Lake.
Speaker 2: Well, I stay with Glenn and j D and Silverlake. But then later they had run into David Geffen, and these guys were always helping me, and they helped me all the way through, and so they were going to introduce me to Geffen. So that's why later after they moved from silver Lake, I was staying at Jackson's house and Glenn came over and I was in Jackson's piano room where he had the curtains closed all the time because he didn't want anybody seeing or hearing while he practiced. And I was in there playing Peaceful Easy Feeling, and Glenn came in and he said, what's that? So he recorded the song on a cassette recorder, which let's just pretend that people know what that is, you know, And then he said, jack I got a new band, and we've been together about eight days, so so let me work this song up. I go.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So he came back the next day with the cassette recorder and played me the Eagles doing a Peaceful Easy feeling on this cassette recorder, you know. And then I about a week later, I went and I saw them rehearse in this tiny little room and I saw Don Henley saying, you don't miss your water to your well runs dry as he's playing the drums, and I'm just going, map, who is this guy? This is like incredible. But that's how the Eagles got the song.
Speaker 1: And Okay, how long before the record came out? And how'd you find out it was going to be on the record.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I think it all happened pretty quickly. And Glenn said, we're gonna get all these record execs in here in the room. We're going to put them right in front of us and play. And then I guess they got a deal. And I don't know, it wasn't It didn't seem like it was that long. And then Glenn, Uh, I'm still living in San Diego. So then Glenn came back from recording the record, and he had a two track tape, you know, And I was the only guy in San Diego who had a tape recorder. I had a Revox and so that was the standard back then. Revox was the that was the King of the Hill and just two tracks one mic boom and uh. So he came over my house and a bunch of the people from uh that were my roommates at the hippie Pad, you know, we all sat around and he played the two track tape of the first Eagles record. So the first I'm sitting there and the first song is take It easy Going.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: Wow, that is the best thing I've ever heard.
Speaker 1: It's incredible.
Speaker 2: Then the next song is Witchy Woman and I wing oh, man, that is the best thing I ever heard. And then the third song is Peaceful, easy Feeling, and I'm going this is the best album I've ever heard already, you know. So so there it was boom. You know.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's dig a little deeper. Did anybody try to get your publishing or did you remain the owner of the song.
Speaker 2: Well, so what happened was they introduced me to David Geffen and he was going to take care of me.
Speaker 1: You know, so those were here quotes.
Speaker 2: This is an audio thing. Yeah, yeah, he's taking care of me. So he put all of us into Warner Brothers Publishing, and so all my songs that time went into Warner Brothers and they're still there now. When Azof started working with the Eagles, he got all their publishing back from Warner Brothers, so they own it. But he didn't get my publishing or JD's or Jackson's publishing back for those songs. So yeah, so they still owe those songs. And so in.
Speaker 1: A typical publishing deal, there's one hundred cents on the dollar, they get fifty cents. You get fifty cents.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then they get fifteen percent of my fifty cents for administering. And they never placed anything or did anything, you know. And then other people have gotten their copyrights back right since I wrote it prior to nineteen seventy two. For some ridiculous reason I don't understand. I have to wait five ten more years before I can get my song back, and they'll probably not want to give it back, you know.
Speaker 1: So usually what they do is you come up with a number for them to keep it. But we aren't there yet. So is the revenue for peaceful easy feeling? Even though you get thirty five percent out of one hundred percent, is that enough to pay your bills?
Speaker 2: Yeah? It has kept me going all these years. And in the first few years I made a lot of money, but Reagan was the president and the taxes were about, I think over eighty percent, you know. And I went to the accountants that I had now, I said, well, rich people, when they get a lot of money, they don't have to pay all these taxes, do they? And they go, yeah, you do. There's no way to get out of it. And other people did these oil futures and cattle ranches, you know, designed to who avoid the taxes that I didn't do that. My philosophy has always been, now you just pay all the tax and move on. But those people years later, they caught up with them and took back all that money. So but yes, and I don't think the same thing. Maybe the same thing could happen today. I don't know what people how people can do today.
Speaker 1: Let's go back a little bit. Whatever happens, the album comes out, this is the spring A seventy two or three? Whatever?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and how long.
Speaker 1: Until you see a check let spring A seventy two.
Speaker 2: I don't know, might have been Oh well, let's see. So in seventy two, David Geffen was paying me two hundred and fifty bucks a month as a as a songwriter, somehow, and so I, my girlfriend and I were traveling in our Volkswagen bus and we go to general delivery at each town and pick up my check. So that went on. We traveled for about a year, and so I think it was about a year before I saw the first first check.
Speaker 1: And was the money coming in the inspiration for the trip or the trip would have happened?
Speaker 2: No, No, Well, the money, the two hundred and fifty a month was a big deal because it was like, hey, and the other thing. I was just singing on the street where we stopped somewhere to get some money for food stuff. So that two hundred and fifty was important. But then when we got back, I remember, I think the first check I ever got was something like eight thousand dollars and it was just like staggering, you know. I just thought, this has to be a mistake, you know, So that so let's go wild till I got it.
Speaker 1: And when you got to check for eight thousand dollars, you treat yourself to anything.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I think I think I just put in the bank and I had borrowed money from my folks to buy a piano, so I probably paid them back at seven and forty bucks, you know.
Speaker 1: Okay, on the second album, I think it's second album or a third album. All fifty five is on there. Did Glenn Fry meet Tom Waits as a result of him being the doorman in the club.
Speaker 2: No, no, don't. I don't think so. I don't think he ever met Tom. He certainly didn't meet him there because Glenn Fry wasn't around the Heritage Club. So but I guess they just liked the song. They'd heard that song and loved it.
Speaker 1: Okay. So then everyone talks about this personality that he, Glenn Fry had, that he was the most the coolest guy, the popular guy, the guy who made things happen. What was your experience of.
Speaker 2: Him all that and more, you know, especially looking back, you know, and most of the time that I spent with him, we were we were the best of friends, you know, for about forty seven years, so from from way before he was famous, and and he was all of that, you know, and and a stand up guy you know, who would be true to his words, show up for you. It was kind of weird because to me, most of the time I spent with him, it was just me and Glenn because we were writing or whatever, you know. So it wasn't like and I never worked for him. Some people worked for him, They go, oh, I don't know, but I was just partners. We were just partners with the writing and who I don't know. You know, looking back, he was just an incredible person. He had this huge amount of skills that you don't see when you look at a person. You know, he was like a sports guy who could put together a team and motivate everybody and pick the right players to the right positions, have him to do the right things, as well as being an incredible musician and azof said Glenn Fry taught him a lot about business. I mean, it's amazing. I just saw him as a guy like me, a folky guy like me. And when I met him, I didn't even know that he played bass, that he sang harmony, that he did all these others. So you don't see the depth of people. And plus he was an incredibly fun loving guy and the funniest guy that I ever knew. He was incredibly funny all the time. So I don't know, there it is. I was lucky to know him.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're born in Ohio, before you're really conscious. In a matter of months, you moved to San Diego. Why'd you move to San Diego? Why'd your parents moved to San Diego?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm not sure. I don't know. It was after the war. My dad was on track before the war to be a baseball player and he was doing really well. Then the war happened and that was over. So they moved to San Diego and he got a job as a milkman and did that the whole time I was growing up. And that was a tough job. You had to get up at four in the morning and they delivered milk to your house. And this is before refrigerated trucks, so it was ice. You had to load physically load in all the ice and all the stuff. And you know, he pretty soon had three kids, and so there was no way out of that. He had to just keep doing that, you know. And my mom, once we were all in school, she went back to school, got a master's and became a high school teacher. But he didn't have the opportunity. And I just looked at that and said, I don't want to get stuck in a job for my whole life. I got to find some way of not doing that myself and every other hippie on the planet.
Speaker 1: You know. Okay, I think I'm correct. You don't have any children.
Speaker 2: Right, Yes, I do. I have a son.
Speaker 1: Oh how old is your son?
Speaker 2: He's forty? And I have two granddaughters.
Speaker 1: Okay, So if your son was born in the eighties, to what degree did you consciously not have children, because it would have you'd want to get locked in like your father.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you. We didn't have kids for ten years and then and then we decided to so, which was only people in our general. We were the first generation that could make that choice, really, you know. And then we turned out we can only have one or I would have had more. So, but I want to announce that my two granddaughters, who are four and six years old, a couple of days ago wrote their first song. And I haven't heard it yet. But you know, Neil Young, I read an interview they said what's the most important thing about a song? And he said, oh, the location where you write it. Now, I had never heard that before. That was an intriguing idea. Well, so my granddaughters wrote this song that I haven't heard yet. They went under the bed under the bed where the adults can't go, and that's where they were the song. So we'll see see what happened.
Speaker 1: What does your son do for a living.
Speaker 2: He's an accountant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, So there are three kids in the family. How many boys, how many girls? And where are you in the hierarchy?
Speaker 2: I'm the oldest, and then I have a younger brother and then an even younger sister.
Speaker 1: And what are your brother and sister up to?
Speaker 2: Well, they're kind of retired. My sister counsel's people. And my brother was physical plant manager for a hospital and a school, and that's a person who takes care of every physical item on the campus, all the houses, the steamlines with a hospital, all the wiring everything, So he can do all that and I do none of that, but he can fix anything, build a city. And they're both incredible people. So I'm very lucky.
Speaker 1: So what kind of student?
Speaker 2: Were you?
Speaker 1: Good or bad? With grades? And were you popular? Were the shy kid? What we like?
Speaker 2: Well, I think I was a nerd before nerd was a word, and I was in the advanced class. You know, they had these you took a test and you were advanced or not. And then so I was in a group of other kids that were supposed to be smart, and I was not good at any sports. So I didn't have that going for me. But I still had a good I had a good thing at in school. It was okay, I don't know. So one day, one day in high school, about senior year, one kid started growing his hair really long, and this big, giant football guy came up to him and said, Hey, how come your hair's so long? You looked like a girl. And the guy, Wayne McCracken, said, Hey, I'm expressing my individuality. And so the big guy John said, oh, oh you are. And then like the next week he started growing his hair, and then and then that was my gang and we were long haired hippies from then on, you know.
Speaker 1: So, okay, was this a result of the Beatles you were growing your hair?
Speaker 2: No, I had nothing to do, you know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: So when did you graduate from high school?
Speaker 2: Sixty five?
Speaker 1: Sixty five? Okay, here's that book. Whatever happened to the class of sixty five? What turned you on to music?
Speaker 2: Well? I was just into it because but my parents had a record player and there was Oklahoma, you know, the music. There was Harry Belafonte. Most people in the country, a third of the people in the country had Harry Belafonte albums, and we would dance and sing around to that. So I was into it, and I would walk up and down the street whistling every song I could think of. But then I was at a party in high school somebody played the first Bob Dylan record and everybody goes, I don't know, and I was going, yes, yes, that's it, that's really cool. But I didn't play guitar until I was about eighteen or nineteen because other people were doing it, and so most all the other musicians I know, by the time they were eighteen, they'd already been in bands, you know. So I started really late. And then I went to the coffee house and I would play a song, like try to play a blue song I heard, and my friends would go, what did you do to that song? What is that?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: So I'm just saying. I met this guy, Joe Faulkner, and we'd get stone and sit on the beach and he would start playing a little pattern and he would just make up songs for an hour. You go, look, there's a city in the burning clouds, and we're watching the sunset, and he would just go on and on and they were incredible songs. And one day I said, Joe, maybe we ought to write one of these down or something, you know, and he just looked at me and said, man, that would ruin it.
Speaker 1: That would ruin it.
Speaker 2: So I kind of got the idea from him, so I started writing. I just started making up my own songs. Nobody could tell if I screwed him up or not. So okay.
Speaker 1: You know, living on the East Coast in that era, California was a dream and this was before you now, this is when you could be localized as opposed to everybody knowing everything. So what was San Diego like in the fifties and sixties.
Speaker 2: Well, it was an outlier. There wasn't a fifties and sixties. Yeah, it was. It was a the fifties life. I mean, they built the first shopping mall right down by my house. Of course I didn't know. It was the first college grove and then the whole shopping mall thing that became, you know, the United States culture, and it was just like you're in the fifties. We had it so good because only one of your parents had to work, and we just thought all that was normal. And then later on and then you could be a hippie. When I moved out, we could just go to the back of the grocery store and they were throwing away tons of food and we would just get it, bring it to the hippie pad and cook it up. But that was the beginning of the sixties. But the fifties was just like kind of like Ozzie and Harriet or you know, just a whole different thing.
Speaker 1: Was there any doubt you were going to go to college.
Speaker 2: Well, not so much.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I went on a fast track to UCSD because Sputnick had gone up and I was into science and I had good grades, and I dropped out in a quarter because guess what, it was really a lot of work. I just was not into that work. You know. You had to go to the class. You know, you're supposed to learn French in one year at the same time as you're doing calculus, and then in the social sciences class you only have three classes in that when you had to read a book a week and write a report on it. One a book by young you know what I mean. And I was going no, I was used to just skating by. So I dropped out in a hitchhike to Texas to see a girl.
Speaker 1: And how did you know a girl in Texas?
Speaker 2: Well, she had been in San Diego and then she moved to Texas.
Speaker 1: Okay, well we all hitchhiked back in that era. Yeah, how much was lonely? You were on the side of street waiting for ride. You went Texas with your different San Diego. What was it like hitch hiking to Texas?
Speaker 2: Oh? Man, it was quite an adventure. And I did quite a bit of hitch hiking. But this was by myself, and it was lonely and it was cold. And then I got to I got to her place. She lived in Far Texas p H A R R. And I checked in this little hotel and and it was Christmas. It was Christmas night, so I said, she said, oh yeah, we're doing Christmas over here. So so I thought, okay, I'll be by myself, and so I just took some LSD and and then about an hour later she called said, oh yeah, my mom says come over. So I come over and I'm just like anyway, that was a memorable moment. And then hitchhiking back I don't know. I just remember being freezy cold and you meet a lot of people and I guess you can't do it now, but it was You're right.
Speaker 1: We all did this actually, I you know, because you also you had to pick people up and return. And I remember in nineteen seventy four I picked up these guys with their skateboarders skateboards and they started telling me where to drive and they went on and there were three of them in one of me. That was the last time I picked people up. Yeah, man, it's there, okay. But you also talked about drugs. You know, a lot of people across America really didn't mean to marijuana till the late sixties. So how did you get turned onto marijuana and LSD.
Speaker 2: H Well, my friend who was a who was into zend, he had he had researched drugs on the Internet and things like PAOD and stuff, and we had found out that that there was this stuff called LSD which was contained in morning glory seeds. So there'd be like if you take the three and seventy four morning glory seeds and they have to be heavenly blue morning glories. They can't be pearly white they have to be the right color, and you grind them up then you can get them. You get them down and you're going to throw them up later. But if you hold them down long enough, they have LSD. And that was my first experience with any drug, was taken those and having this full on LSD trip.
Speaker 1: And then.
Speaker 2: About two weeks later at the park besides the high school, that was the first time I smoked a joint. So I actually had LSD first before anything else.
Speaker 1: Okay, going back to Texas, so you show up figuring this is going to be great. Yeah, how was it between you and the girl?
Speaker 2: Well, nothing much. It was a nice little visit, but nothing. Nothing materialized there. So I came back and then I started going to a junior college and then worked my way up to San Diego State College, which is now a university.
Speaker 1: So did you graduate?
Speaker 2: I did. I went in. I had so many units of different kinds they gave me a triple major and said you can get out of here now. So that's and by the way, as far as drugs, I want to mention that I did. I did get busted and had a had a large jury trial and you know, and all that which is amazing considering now I can go into a supermarket size dispensary and just buy some pot. And I've got my own brand of pot coming out in January. Peaceful, easy feeling cannabis is going to be for sale in Dreams dispensaries in New Mexico. So I don't know, it's just kind of an amazing turnaround.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we can't know fifty years ago, six not quite sixty to talk about legalizing dope, the fact that it happened in our lifetime. Black Man was president.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, but it took way longer, way longer than we thought it was going to be any year, and then it was like forty to fifty years.
Speaker 1: Okay, tell me about getting busted in. What you felt and what your parents thought.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I was horrible. And after the gig, my friend and I went and sat on a park bench. We're smoking some weed and I'm going We're just sitting there, going, yeah, man, this is in the middle of the park. Nothing can happen here. And all of a sudden, this police car swoops down and boom, they got us. And I took the little bag leading through it on the ground, you know, so they arrested us spent a couple of nights in jail. I finally my parents found out. And then one of my relatives was married to an assemblyman who recommended an attorney for me, and so I got this attorney. And my friend, who was from Canada, he just he had a public defender, but then he later hired the guy for the same amount of money. But my attorney was great, his attorney was not, and so I got off and then he got found guilty and sent back to Canada. So there that ended his music career in the US. But my attorney was a guy named Peter Hughes, and he was a prosecutor who had never lost the case. It was like a fantasy. And he had just turned decided to be a defense attorney, and he came he came up with this thing where the pot was on the ground. So he went to the judge. He said, you have to split these two cases. You can't try these guys together. And once he split it, he said, well, you can't prove that the pot was his. It could have been the other guys. So the judge instructed the jury that they had to find me not guilty. It was like a Perry Mason or something.
Speaker 1: Okay, how much did the attorney cost and who paid him?
Speaker 2: I think my folks paid him. It was seven hundred and fifty bucks.
Speaker 1: Well that's relatively cheap even back then. Yeah, okay, so you're in college, to what degree? Are you playing out?
Speaker 2: Really a lot every chance I could? Yeah, So I had. There was about four or five places, and they each had what they called a hoot night, which was open mic night, and eventually I would run the hoop night and get you know, I get paid a fortune light, you know, fifteen bucks. And so I did three or four of those a week, and that's how I amassed the amount of money to pay my rent stuff. So I was doing that a lot.
Speaker 1: You graduate across that hurdle than what.
Speaker 2: Gee, I'm trying to think what happened? I just oh, yes, So I went back to Right before I graduated, San Diego State College had built a student center and they had a bowling alley in the bottom, but they didn't have enough money to finish it. So I turned it into a folk club and my brother and I built a big sound booth. It was a huge room, and I started booking that and doing that and At one point we decided to carpet the whole place. So I found that when they take the carpet out of people's houses at the carpet place, they take the old carpet out, and what they were doing was that they just piled it up in the backyard. It was like a fifty foot pile. So I thought, oh, they let me have it. So I took all these carpet, these carpets to the place, and I needed help, and Glenn Fry was staying with me, so he came with me, and he and I hauled all these carpets over to the over to this place which was called the back Door. So I ran that for about a year, and that convinced me that I'd rather be the player than the guy that runs the club.
Speaker 1: And so there was no issue of going straight after college. This is what you were going to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as long as I could keep making a living at it, I guess it was my plan. And what about the candle shop, Oh, that just did that for a few years, sold candles at the Delmar Fair. It was really a lot of fun. But then that let that go. You know, where'd you get the candles from? Oh? Well, we made them, you know, that's the whole deal. We got the wax and we hauled sand from the beach and have these big pits. And we went to Alcohola and found a huge old wax melting machine and we made sand candles and they were gloriously cool and sold out. So that was a good adventure.
Speaker 1: Okay, just before we leave San Diego behind, to what degreed did beach culture affect you and affect the town in general? To what degree was the navy something palpable?
Speaker 2: Well, the Navy thing was very strong, and it made the whole city was super conservative, you know. And the beach culture. Yeah, I mean I fell in love with with the beach culture, but the Navy. So when I grew my hair long one month, I wrote a remember because I wrote a song about it. One month, I got stopped by the cops twenty seven times in one month just for walking down the street everywhere I went, you know, because there were police everywhere and they went to curfews and they you know, it was. It was that kind of thing San Diego. Then when the first loven took place in San Diego, it was a major shock. I went to the park and all these people with rainbow clothes and bubble and they were you know, I just couldn't believe it was happening in San Diego.
Speaker 1: Okay, did you ever think of giving up?
Speaker 2: Not? Well, not too seriously. I I remember kind of moving up to North County and walking on the beach all the time, figuring out what I was going to do. Now. At some point I had always passed through Los Angeles with my parents driving, and in those days it was incredibly smoggy, and so you're driving you could sort of see the Capitol Building, you know, the Tower of Records, but you couldn't really see anything.
Speaker 1: That was horrible.
Speaker 2: I said, I'm never going there. I'm never going to LA. So instead I said, I got to get into the music business. So I moved to San Francisco for about a year, and I went to Berkeley and lived there. And after about a year, jack there's no music business here, You're just like So finally I walked on the beach and I said, well, I'm just going to have to move up to LA for a while and try it. And and so at some point Jackson had turned me on to this place in Sant Clement he called the Four Muses and he was playing there and I played there a bit. I saw this band called Hank, and they're a fantastic band. In fact, they're having a reunion August fifth at the Coach House and uh, and I'm going to put open for him there. And they're all good friends of mine, So this band. So I moved up to LA and I'm walking around. I see one of the guitar player from Hank, Richard Steckel, and I go, what are you doing? He said, we both had moved up there to make it, you know, to do so what people.
Speaker 1: Don't know, although this is probably I don't know what's before I didn't realize I moved to California. The movie Five Summer Stories was considered to be the surf movie. Yes, the soundtrack was by Honk. Yes, you know Blue of your Backdrop and everything and everybody do it. I own the copy. It was like it never moved out of California. But Phenom then they got to deal with CBS. I'm just going to tell that story, and that was kind of the end. But that first album, Five Summer Stories, unvolved.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they are all incredibly, incredibly talented. So I'm walking around, and Richard says, well, let's go see this guy. He's cool at the ice house, Jewels Shear. So we went over there and the guy was just as a solo performer. He was funny, his songs were amazing as singing, and Juels Sear plays the guitar in a certain way that no one else in the world does. He only plays he has his left thumb hooked over the top of the guitar and he tunes the guitar in a completely unique way that he invented. And he plays lead and everything if he has to. It's kind of like if he covers all the strings, it's a major chord, and if he only does four, it's a minor. And then you know, he can do everything and he hears everything. So he was incredible, and so we set up a thing to play together. We went over to let's see, I guess it was Doug Haywood's house, who was the bass player for Jackson Brown, and Jackson was there and we all sat down. So Richard Steckel played a song called mild Pals, an incredible song's it's so amazing that at Glenn's memorial service, I think Jackson and Don played that song instead of one of their songs, It's so great. And then I had my song slow Dancing, I played Jules Sheer played a song called It's So Easy to Begin then and the harmony bland and everything was so magical. Just that moment, that first day, I just knew we had to do it. We had to do that somehow. So we got a gig at Quackingham's and we did one gig and a manager came in and said, you're you're too good for this, and then that was the beginning. Within a couple of months, we had this band called the Funky Kings.
Speaker 1: Okay, why were they called the Funky Kings?
Speaker 2: It was just crazy because we were all nuts and we just thought, yeah, we're kings and we're funky. You know, maybe an unfortunate choice of name, but that's the way it is.
Speaker 1: Okay. And how long thereafter? And how did you end up on Arista? Well, so I was.
Speaker 2: So David Geffen was was sort of taking care of me, you know.
Speaker 1: So let's just's go back one second. For the two hundred and fifty dollars you got a month, what'd you have to deliver? Oh? Nothing?
Speaker 2: It was just like a publisher advance and Peaceful Easy Feeling had already been recorded Warner Brothers, so I didn't have to really do anything for that. So but Glenn made an appointment for me to go see Clive Davis at the Beverly Hills Hotel. You know, it was big time. So I go in, I play him a couple of songs, and Glenn said, I just wanted you to meet Clive. You know, he's a real record guy. So I get home and I get a call in my little apartment there and it's it's David Geffen. It's going Toeah. I heard you went to see Clive. I go, yeah, Glenn took me over there, and he goes, okay, well we're through. As we're through, I go, what do you mean we're through? I you know, I just went to see him. You know, I don't understand, because yeah, that's it. We're through. So apparently there was a huge feud between Clive and David Geffen about Laura Nero or something. You know, they were enemies, and I had no idea about that. So that was kind of a shock.
Speaker 1: And then.
Speaker 2: I had the band The Funky Kings of Three of Us Jewels, sheer, Richard Steckel and myself and we had a rehearsal studio. We went in there and and the other two guys said, instead of being a trio, we need a band. So Richard said, look, I'll call some guys I know from Laguna. And it was Bill Bodine on bass, Frank Coach and Nolan drums, and Greg Leese on on pedal steel and guitars and stuff. So he said they they're gonna come up tomorrow and we're going to go over a couple of songs with them. So that night I get a call from Clive Davis and he says, I'm coming to town and what are you up to? You got anything? I go, well, I got this new band, and you know we're rehearsing tomorrow. He goes, I'll be there. So he comes in. So in the morning I come I've never even met these other guys. We play our three songs with these guys who I don't even know as a band, and then I say, well, Clive's coming in. So he comes in with one or two guys and he sits there. We play the three songs and Clive says.
Speaker 1: I like it.
Speaker 2: So I go oh, okay, cool. Should Should I get an attorney? And you know, should we talk to you? Do you want to hear some demos or something? Clive goes no, I like it. You got a deal. And I always loved and respected him for that, you know, he didn't have to ask everybody and run around. And then he set us up and we recorded with Paul Rothschild, and then we got to make our album, and then we went on tour with Holland. Oh.
Speaker 1: We went a little bit slower because Paul Rothschild, I knew a little bit, was kind of the autocrat, you know, it was sort of his way or the highway. So what was it like making the record?
Speaker 2: Well, it was fantastic. And I didn't get that from him because I was a highly uneducated musician. And when he had tried to sing a vocal, I had, you know, I had no concept. I was always a solo guy. I didn't even know about your trying to stay in time, much less phrasing. So I would sing the thing differently every time and they couldn't punch me in. And finally I remember Paul hitting the button going up, Oh, I see Jack, I see you are what we call a natural singer, so he was extremely kind and helpful, you know, and we were a lot of trouble Richard and Jules. We didn't believe in producers, and we were a lot of trouble for him and drove them nuts. But he was extremely nice to us and did an incredible job.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: He brought Barry Beckett in to play keyboard. It was great. So the album is done. Are you happy with the album? Yeah, we loved it. And then I remember we go to the Beverly Hills Hotel, we play it, playing it for Clive right, and he goes, well, I just hope you guys are going to be able to handle the incredible success.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: So who doesn't want to hear that there's a key of the music business going yeah, it's going to happen. And then you know, and then it didn't happen. And many years later, Clive's given a speech in Sandy Diego goes, yeah, well, of all the things I signed and thought we're going to really do good, there's only two that I really believed in that didn't happen, you know, and the Funky Kings was one of them. So we're famous.
Speaker 1: I bought it. But in any event, so you finished the record, you go on the road. When does it become clear it's not working financially. Well, we started doing a second record.
Speaker 2: And the band just kind of imploded, you know, we weren't I wasn't as happy with the songs and just the way it was going. And I kept defending, you know, because the record company is going, Jack, we want you to write most of the songs, and I was going, no, No, these guys are great writers, we're a band and all that, you know. But by the time we got into recording the second record, it just wasn't work. Came out, so we split up.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you've been spending this. You just tell Caul Clive say the group broke up. End a story. Nice to know you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then he he still had me under contract. So I made another record, a solo record. I went to Muscle Sholes and lived there for three months. And one of the Muscle Sholes rhythm section guy's Pete Carr, the guitar player. He produced my record. But it was kind of cool because I did it at Fame Studio and I got to hear all the stories about that and I got to be in muscle Sholes. So but that record, it seemed really good right until the end, and then it got a little too sweet for me with mandolins and stuff, so I don't know, it's okay, But and then it didn't Clive didn't respond to it didn't have a hit. So so that was at the end of me an airest Okay.
Speaker 1: Let's go back to the Funky Kings. So the ben breaks up, you still talk to those guys.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, I remained friends with the fact the Jewels went on and moved back to New York State, wrote some hits, but Richard and I remained in bands together. He was in my bands for many years and Greg Lease as well, played with me in my bands for sixteen years, and we played like usually like once a week at some club in Laguna or something. I've always had a gig once or twice a week with my own band, despite whatever else I was doing. So yeah, and I have tremendous respect for the writing and the musicianship of those guys.
Speaker 1: So it ends with Arista. What's going on in your head? Do you think, man, this is the end of my solo career, my recording career. You say, you know, I'm going to get another deal. I'm still going to become big.
Speaker 2: Let's see. So yeah, I mean I didn't know what was going to happen. And we had some I had a manager, Larry Larson, and he managed Kenny Loggins and some other people. Later he managed Michael Jackson with a Victory tour and he was a great guy. So I started going on the road doing opening act for people, which I did for years, and I opened, I opened tours for all kinds of people. So I did that, and meanwhile, I don't know, nothing happened with the record deal. I guess I was expecting maybe something might. But so I opened for let's see, yeah, Dave Mason, Poko, Dolly Parton, I opened the Christopher Cross his whole first tour, Carla bon Off, Emmy Lou Harris tour, Joe Walts tour. So I did that for a long time. That was what I did.
Speaker 1: Was what was that experience?
Speaker 2: Like? Incredible?
Speaker 1: I loved it.
Speaker 2: And I was always solo. So I go out and do a solo show before they came on, and I got to meet all those people.
Speaker 1: It was great. Okay, But you know, back then, I think people came for the opening act more than they do today. But it's tough being the opening act.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, And it was funny because, uh, every act turns out has a different audience, and so the same thing night after night, the same thing works for that for Christopher Cross's audience, which was all couples, whereas Joe Walsh's audience was all young guys. And in order to get their attention, one night I figured out, I just went on and said, Hey, what did all these petals? What did all Joe Walsh's pedals down here that he's using and play guitar? Want me to tell you how they're set? You know, And everybody's all of a sudden, I got their attention. He's got this because that they were just there, you know, to see the magic of how he played guitar and stuff. So uh, but yeah, they weren't coming to see me because the they were already just coming to see the other act. But it was a challenge and I had funny songs and I had serious songs, So I don't know, I just learned how to do it and I love doing it and.
Speaker 1: It was great. Okay, so tell me the story of Already Gone yeah.
Speaker 2: So back when I was running the back door at San Diego State the coffeehouse, I really had heard a lot of country music. Like we all listened to the Japanese transistor radio, right we were supposed to be sleeping, and we under the covers we could hear and the country station. So it was really cool and I wanted to write a country song, but I really didn't have a clue. So my friend Rob Strandlin, we had a gig together at the back door, and his parents had been country singers, and he had an old a Martin that belonged to his mom, and he lived, you know, way out in the country and had a cowboy boots and a dog and a horse, you know. And I'm going, yeah, he lived way out there. Well, actually lived about five miles from me, but it was out in the country, you know. And of course, so anyway, we're at the back door and the back room it was the kitchen, and so we're in there kind of warming up, and there's this huge refrigerators and so I opened one and there's a white jug. So I took this white jug out and this is before I never had a drink or anything. So we started drinking out of this jug. We thought it was okay, and it turned out it was hard cider in there, and we got kind of, you know, feeling really excellent, and wrote Already Gone in just about twenty minutes, and then we went up on stage. There's a tape somebody taped us. Well, let's do it, you know, and we did it, and then the part the chorus I always go woooo, which is like the I wrote it, you know, because I was feeling so great. So and then somehow Glenn Fry heard it. And because I don't think I did it much after it, I did it. One other time. I went was playing in Escondido a place called in the Alley, and Jackson Brown was playing. So I was there and opening for him, and I didn't really know him that well, but I said, Jackson, I just wrote this new song. I want you. You got to come on and play it with me. So I made him come on and sing Already Gone with me and do woo and everything. And then somebody had recorded that, and just about two years ago they sent me a tape and here's me and Jackson doing it, you know. But then I kind of forgot about it. And then A few years later, Glenn calls me and he says, man, you know that country song you wrote?
Speaker 1: And go, yeah, you know that one?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he goes, I think that would make a great rock and roll song. So I go, well, sure, you know sure, And then he called me back the next day and he said, held the phone up to the speakers in the studio and there was like the Eagles doing Already Gone and that was on their third record.
Speaker 1: So okay, by this time, did you own your publishing? No?
Speaker 2: I think Already Gone and Peaceful, Easy Feeling and Slow Dancing are all owned still owned by Warner Brothers.
Speaker 1: So tell me about writing Slow Dancing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, let's see. So I had a friend who was an incredible entertainer, one of those guys who could easily have been a superstar, but he didn't. He didn't have the desire or whatever, David Bradley, and he called himself. He had a band called Joe Bummer and the ass Bites from Hell, and I wrote recently wrote a song about him called who Wants to Be Famous? Like the record company came and they said, Joe and this band was going, yes, we're going to make a record, and he goes guys who wants to be famous, I don't want to do it. But he played at a club called the Iron Horse, and I watched him. Everybody loved it, but they didn't get out on the floor to dance until they played a slow song. So I thought, yeah, you know, there should be a song called slow dancing, you know. So then I started working on it. And basically, the girl who I traveled with in the Volkswagen bus in nineteen seventy two, you know, I was falling in love. We were falling in love, and so that the song was about about that. And in just a couple of days, I remember driving back from la and the car. Of course, you didn't have a cassette record or anything like that, so you just had to keep singing things over. No, I couldn't write it down, so I just had to like remember it and then and then later she and I got married and were still together. So that's the that's how that song came about.
Speaker 1: Okay, I remember buying the Funky Kings album that was an obvious hit, so ultimately it was a hit for Johnny Rivers. Tell us what you know? Were you disappointed? Wasn't when it wasn't successful the first time around, and tell me about Johnny Rivers covering it.
Speaker 2: Well, it got up to number sixty on the Billboard chart. That's the only time I was ever singing on the Billboard chart. And I don't know what. I don't know what happened after that, you know, I don't know why it didn't continue. But what I later learned was Johnny Rivers heard it and he said, man, if that wasn't a hit, I would cut that. And somebody said, it's not a hit, you know, So he cut it. And then I think he spent quite a bit of time traveling through the South going to radio stations and promoting it, and so he made it hit. So I was thrilled because it wasn't going to be a hit for me, and his thing became a huge it. And then I got to meet him and work with him, so that was really cool.
Speaker 1: And there are multiple covers of that song. Is that song still generate income?
Speaker 2: I think so, I mean, yeah, I think it does, and Johnny's version and some of the others. I mean, I get these big thick things. And I used to look at him with all the where each penny came in but I don't even look anymore. I just kind of go yeah. And then it got real complicated with streaming and all that.
Speaker 1: So did you have you ever audited to see whether you were paid accurately?
Speaker 2: Well, many years ago one of the guys who was a manager, Nick phil Ames, he became an auditor, so he audited Warner Brothers for me, and it turned out that's the only time I did it. It turned out they were paying two cents for each record, but the statutory rate had gone up and I said, look, you guys, you're still paying two cents. It's a seventh cents now or whatever, and they said, so, you know, so I went, oh, man, So I I thought, I'm going to have to sue these guys. I just, I mean, I don't want to, I don't want to get involved, but I just can't, you know, let them. And I was getting nowhere. So I went to Lucy's l Adobe restaurant and invited j D and Jackson Brown JD Salther because they both had songs on the same record, and they also were under Warner Brothers, and they also were only getting paid two cents, which they didn't know, and so together we sued and then we went into mediation, and then there's this non disclosure agreement, which you know what I mean, I don't think why should there ever be a non disclosure agreement? Bob?
Speaker 1: What do you think? Well, that just means I mean, I could go on about this, but it just means they don't have to admit fault. So there's no record of it and there's no negative words. But you have these two covers on these Eagles record, and as the band goes on Hotel California in the long run, they're right in all the material. Do you say, holy shit, I'm not going to get any covers anymore.
Speaker 2: Well, let's see, I mean, but from the Eagles, although I've actually I eventually they got more covers.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I know, but I'm talking about that time before they booke up the first time. I guess, so I didn't. I wasn't thinking about it, and I was writing with other people and get and by myself, and I was getting other songs cut, you know. So I mean at some point George Jones did one of my songs, and I toured with Emmy Lou Harris and she eventually did one of my songs. So I didn't think it was over, but of course.
Speaker 2: The case hits.
Speaker 1: And then how did they get I mean, you were on the road with Emmy Lou Harris, but George Jones, how did these people who covered their records? Was your publisher being active? How did they find out about them?
Speaker 2: I never got a cover of anything from a publisher. So and George Jones, it took me years to find out. I wrote that song with Bobby Whitlock and he did such a killer demo because he's an amazing singer, and and I go, how did ever get to George Jones? And then years later my friend Ralph Murphy at ASCAP told me that he's the one who sent it to George Jones. So I finally found out how that happened. But other things, I think I was playing and people heard somehow they heard the songs, and that's that's how it happened.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the Eagles break up. Glenn Fry is the first to put out a solo album, No Fun Allowed. How did you end up getting involved in that project?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Glenn and I had of course, we'd known each other a long time. I didn't see him that much when the Eagles were happening. He was incredibly busy, but he called me and said, yeah, I think we're gonna stop doing the Eagles once. Come over and see if we can write some songs because he needed, you know, he needed a new songwriting partner. So I came over to his place on I think it was Lookout Mountain Court or something. He had this a frame house that James Cagney had rented, and I came in and I just got a video of him playing with the Spreckles theater where he talks about this stuff. But I came in and he had one hundred candles burning and he had two bottles of red wine. I said, Glenn, I don't drink wine. He goes, well, this is songwriter wine and you have to have some of this. And I go, so, what about the candles? You had a date Later? He goes, no, man, there's a muse and we're not the only guys trying to write a song tonight. So we've got to make this really cool so she'll come down and hang with us, you know. And so that night we wrote the One You Love. Because I had been trying to learn some chords out of the Mickey Baker jazz guitar book, and in order to learn that I could learn him. So I made up a little song with him, and I showed him the chords, and of course Glenn just looked at me doing it once and he had it, and then so we wrote that song. We also wrote I Found Somebody same night, and so according to what he said at the Spreckles Theater gig, he said, so I didn't look anymore and we just you know, and we had never written before together, but that was it. And then I wrote with him for fourteen years and when he made the albums, I was always there because he just allowed me to be there and I was learning how to do it and being part of the adventure and stuff. So that was a glorious time. I guess we wrote about fifteen songs that were in the top one hundred, you know, I thought that was and then the Eagles got back together. So but it was unbelievably cool.
Speaker 1: Tell me, my favorite song was the opening I Found Somebody. To remember how that came together?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm trying to remember who we we eddie something. We listened to some other record and it was the groove on that record, you know. And then so we sort of grabbed that groove and then uh, geez, beyond that, I'm not sure, you know, it just fell together real quickly. It was the first night or first night we did that.
Speaker 1: And how about Smugglers Blues?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Smugglers Blues. Well, I have had a little house in Hollywood for many years. That's where we wrote most of our stuff. And then Glenn came down to Ensinnita's and I had a studio room and he had purchased with irving A's off the rights the movie writes to a book called Snowblind about the cocaine trade all ready. Yeah, so uh and then the movie never happened, but we were going to write a song for the movie, which we did, and I just remember we had my I think I had eight track tape recorder, but I'm talking tape, you know. And and Glenn's going, I think I should have some cool slide, you know, And and then you know, you just started telling the story trouble on the street tonight. You know, the blood began to spill that. You know, here's your ticket suitcase in your hand. So it's cool having the story. And then he had the cool slide, and and also we got to say things about the war on drugs, so called war on drugs. You know, we got to say things. And then it turned out that, you know, Glenn always wore the hippie clothes, but then when he got big, he'd say, well, I gotta He had a phrase for it, I gotta I got put on some suits for the man or something. So he said, you know, I think when I fly first class, I should wear a suit because you never know who you're going to be sitting next to. So he sat next to Michael Mann and who was planning to do Miami Vice TV show. And then our two songs ended up on the soundtrack, and the Smugglers Blues song they used it in an episode where Glenn was acting and he got to be the pilot who flies the stuff in. So it was just incredible.
Speaker 1: What about the other song that was on the album, You Belonged to the City.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just I just remember, I think, oh, I know, we were writing that because they sent us a script to one of the episodes where one of the guys goes back to New York where he's from and he's walking the streets and they wanted a song for right there. So I remember Glenn's got these chords and then he's going, you belong to the city, and I go, yeah, yeah, yeah, that's it. Boom, and then we just we just put it together for that scene, right, you know, right from the story and of course Glenn, you know. And then I was using a thing called the Lynn nine thousand drum machine, and it was the first thing where you could sequence other instruments, you could plug in and sequence. So we sequenced the whole thing in my little room and that's when Glenn started calling me nine thousand, and that's how I got my moniker Jack nine k you know. And then he gave me production credit on the thing because we just took that sequence and took it up the Hawkwelinsky studio where he hooked up all these machines and we had a horn player come in and Glenn sang it, and then that was it. Because Glenn could hear the whole record in his head when he was writing a song. You can just hear all the parts, everything he wanted. And that's why they called him the loan arranger.
Speaker 1: So right, right, well, that's great, and I know he's called the loan arrangeer. I didn't know why, so what's it like? Okay, In those particular cases, there was an incentive, you know, there was a potential movie, et cetera. Do you ever write with someone We walk in and it's pretty much cold.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. Most of the time, and even with Glenn, he'd have an idea about let's write an album about this or something. But most of the time, A lot of times it's not good to bring your own idea. You know, I have a million ideas, but it's better to let the other guy come. So one day I got a call and it was turned out to be Bobby Whitlock. He was right down the street, and I had no idea who Bobby Whitlock was. Of course he had played with Derek and the Dominoes and with Eric Clapton and all that. But he just said hey. He had, you know, this southern accent and said, I'm right down the street. I want to write some songs. So I later found out what he did was he came to la he looked at the billboard chart. He called he called the number one songwriter people had the number one song just called them. They weren't home, and you belonged to the city. Was number two. So he called and he had my number. He called me somehow, and I said, come on over. So he came over and we just sat there at the kitchen table and and I looked around. I said, he said, what are we going to write about? I go, well, we got four walls, two chairs in a doorway and and that's the first line of the song called someone that I Used to know. And that song was eventually cut by George Jones. So it's just kind of songs are just there in the air. Everybody's mind is so full of billions of things coming in all the time and being processed that it's always just sitting there, you know what I mean, if you're willing to just get out of the way.
Speaker 1: So if you're sitting with another person in the room, you have inspiration, to what degree do you let the other person say what you you know? Let's say you come up with some of the other prinsons, it goes that sucks you then defend and go no, no, I really think I have something here, or you just okay, I got another idea.
Speaker 2: Boy. That's a good question, I mean, and it's it's a challenge. I mean, you have to co writing is different. I love co writing, you know, I love writing by myself too, but you have to have a lot of respect, you know, for the other person. You might go, this is an incredible line, like Glenn and I. You go, well, this is an incredible line. But this line does not serve the song. So you just have to go, Okay, I can use it for something, el whatever, I'll just put it aside. And you have to You have to let the other person in and have some confidence. Maybe it won't work out in the end. But co writing is different, and a lot of times you're writing with somebody, like if they're an artist and they're going to do the song, well, then you have to let them in and have a lot to do with it, you know, so they can make it their own and relate.
Speaker 1: To it stuff.
Speaker 2: So that's a challenge.
Speaker 1: How do you know when it's finished? And is your goal to finish it while the two of you are there? Wow?
Speaker 2: Well, well, the first thing is it's like one of them may questions of all art. How do you know when it's finished? You know? So now in Nashville, I always thought I'd like to do the Nashville Way, which was like the real building where they just say, hey, write a song for this guy, and you write one. I thought that'd be great, But eventually, years later I went to Nashville and tried it. And you get in the room and yeah, they want that song to be done because you have a four hour window. You book the room and then and it's going to be done. If you're writing with one of those guys, you know it's going to be done. And then I've I said, well, what happens to all these songs? You must write thirty forty songs a month. What happens, Well, one or two of them get demoed and then they get pitched. I go, what about the other ones? I just wasn't used to that. When I write something, you know it's personal, and I just so, no, don't. I don't usually try to get it done while while I'm sitting there, and then I take the words, I look at them later and I go, I could throw this out, I could tweak this, I could change that, but I guess to really do it. The final thing is like I sing it. I sit there and play it and sing it, and then some little part won't feel right, you know. So ultimately, all my first years were spent in the coffee house. Now there was almost never anybody in the audience, you know, But so I got very comfortable with being up there and playing things that were unfinished or but I could read even with a few people. You can just read what's working and what's not. And I don't think people do that now. They don't have that experience, you know, playing for people a lot who are listening, and you can just so I'm talking about when the song's done, and that's one of the ways you tell, you know, you kind of just oh, I'm singing it to these people, and it feels right all the way through, and it's all smooth and working.
Speaker 1: So okay, So how much do you play out now?
Speaker 2: I was doing a touring a bit like going back East every weekend before the pandemic, but of course that stopped for a couple of years, and I'm still not anxious to get on a plane and travel that much right now. So I'm playing kind of as much as I can around San Diego and La But of course there's only about fifteen twenty million people here, so you know, it should be enough. And there's a place called Humphreeze and seats fifteen hundred people, so I open for American Boss Gags and then there's the Belly Up the coach House, and so anyway, I'm playing as much as I can. And now I think I'm going to go back to getting a weekly gig, and because otherwise it's I'm missing a lot of the fun which I got into in the first place, which is playing live. And you know, now you can have a weekly gig and you can make it a stage at show or put it on the internet, so you don't really have to go all over the world. But so the answer is, yeah, as much as much as I can.
Speaker 1: So does that work for you? To do it virtually? It's one thing if you have no choice because of COVID. Yeah, But to what do we doing it virtually? What's that like? Playing live live compared.
Speaker 2: It's not It's not the same at all because I do the beach jams and I record them, put them up there and people respond. But no, it's not the same. Playing live is a completely different thing. And I think it's going to become more valuable once, you know, once my AI hologram is out there playing too, it's going to be I think you know, somebody's going to go, hey, this stuff is like done by humans, and that's going to be a special thing that people want to see. But yeah, there's something about playing live and it doesn't have to be a big show. It's just qualitatively different than anything else. And bottom line is kind of what I got into this for and what I love the most, although I love the other parts too.
Speaker 1: You know. So you essentially had an instructional series online tell us about that.
Speaker 2: I've done a few things like that. One was called go Write One, and I thought, well, I you know, Glenn Fry taught songwriting at UCLA and I taught with him sometimes and then he did it in New York. But I don't know about teaching people songwriting. I've done that. It doesn't make me happy. I don't know how much you can teach, you know, So just go write one. It doesn't tell you how to rhyme or do the verses or the struck. Sure, it just tells you how to get in the mood. And I did about forty of them, you know, And so I did. I put that up and not too much happened, and then I had some podcasts. Not too much happened with that, so I just kind of try everything.
Speaker 1: They'll give me two tips about getting in the mood.
Speaker 2: Oh man, I wish I could remember the brilliant stuff I came up with. It was like, well, you know, get your stuff, get your batteries working, you know, so you can record and oh man, yeah, I'm not thinking of it right now.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well I'll talk about myself and there's certain things that happened. I'm immediately inspired. But my best idea is cause when I'm doing something else, I'm in the shower, I was hiking last night, wasn't thinking about it at all, and all of a sudden things became clear in my mind. To what degree is that your experience were as opposed to sitting down and saying I'm going to write something.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, And Glenn used to say, we're writing a song and some other song gets jealous and wants to butt in. You know, it's always like, you know, yeah, when you're doing something else and it triggers some thoughts and yes, that's definitely definitely there. You know.
Speaker 1: So when you did those albums with Glenn, how long would it take to write the songs? Would they all be written at once or multiple times.
Speaker 2: We'd write a lot of them in a clump so we could go in and start recording, but then we'd you know, take a few days out to write some more. Yeah, as we went along.
Speaker 1: So you would go to some club unannounced and work out on stage.
Speaker 2: Oh no, me and Glenn. Yeah no, no, Glenn, Glenn, that's me. I would always do things like that. But Glenn never presents anything unless it's a done deal and perfect and great.
Speaker 1: Oh I thought you, I said club, So I misunderstood. So tell me about your Beach GM series.
Speaker 2: So I'm so excited about it, and it's so strange during the pandemic. Well, it's always been part of my process to video when I play, because I always make up songs and my idea as well. I'll make them up, come home and then I work on, you know, so video so I can remember them. So I started doing that at the beach during the pandemic. Come home, throw the ones away that didn't work, type out the lyrics to the other ones, and I have They can't see this book, but you know, you know, this huge three ring binder is full of song lyrics. You know, so like one year, this last year, during the pandemic. I made up more songs than I have in my whole life. So then I decided started listening to these things and going, it's kind of they're great. I started thinking, these are great songs even though I just made them up. And if it's a beach jam, the way I define that is a song that I make it up on the spot. I don't think about it ahead of time. I don't go back and do it again, I don't edit it. It just comes out. So I guess it's like performance art. It's performance art, and it kind of goes back to the beatnik eraror where they just made up things on stage. And I've been posting about one of those a day for about a year now.
Speaker 1: So then.
Speaker 2: So I'm at the beach and some guys there's a lot of beach people there, some homeless guys, some super wealthy guys, all kinds of people from all wah and some of them like to like to play drum sticks on the sidewalk, or they played the jumbe or something that some of them their time isn't very good. There's guitar, and I just let everybody play in jam with me sometimes, and so I do a lot of that. And then my friend I saw a guy in a club Jesse, London, and he plays with me a lot, so I sit in at his gigs and I started doing this live. So I go live to a club and I make up. I play for three hours and I make up all the songs all night. And I was thinking, I'm not gonna be able to do it. But as soon as I throw the switch, it's kind of like with your column, you know, you know, I don't know what I want to write about. As soon as I throw the switch, Bob, the song comes out, and I don't know where it comes from, but hey, I never did know where it came from, but it just it just comes out. And then when I listen back, I'm thinking, well, at this point, I got really confused. I didn't know what the rhyme and I didn't want this goes. But then that all happened a split second, It turns out and it falls together, and I'm just constantly amazed that these things are great. The videos, they're interesting. Most things now are not real. They're produced, they're put together, they're designed, and maybe this is all real. It's more real than anything else now it's too much for people. I mean, I know that. I was thinking, well, what if Bob Dylan put out one or two songs a day, Jack, would you listen to it? He's your favorite guy and probably, But as soon as I heard one, I wasn't interested. I mean, it's just way too much. But I can't help that because from my end, I'm doing it and I look at this, I go, wow, that's a great song. I'm just going to put it up, so I don't know if anything can happen. And and Bob, when they advise you to get more viewers, they say, look at other people doing the same thing, and then see what they did. You know, I can't find anybody else doing that. And I'm sure other people can do it, they don't want to, maybe, but I can't find anybody else doing it. But I thought about quitting, but I just can't. I love it, I'm into it. It seems to be working. And now I'm still writing other songs, making a record and doing other stuff the regular way. But this has sort of consumed me as this is my work of art. Now.
Speaker 1: You know, Let's say I went to the gig, would I be able to tell that you're making it up on the spot.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know. I don't think so. I don't think so people, nobody unless I mention it. Nobody ever, I don't think you'd be able to tell no, no, I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Okay, a lot of people. And you've mentioned earlier writing a song, you're playing a chord and you're singing and you're going like this, and then maybe you change a chord. I mean you just say, okay, he's they flip the switch, something will come out? What about changes? What about choruses? Stuff like that?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm not in a lot of ways. I'm not very musically educated, like, but all my life I've tried to go, well, how how can I get chords to fit together? So that's kind of been my emphasis. How do I get the knowledge to just make things up?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: And so I don't know a lot of the songs, I'll have the same groove. But if I just put one other groove and learn one other new chord, or learn one little way that Lightning Hopkins played with only a thumb and a finger and never used everything else, and that gives me some new rhythms. You just learn. It's everything in life, you take everything you know and you add one new thing and that thing compounds. And so that's what I've always tried to do, and somehow I can really do it. It's just like I've got the idea of the song, and what I'm talking about is flowing, and then I got the melody, and then I got the chords and the rhythm and the changes, and it just it just all flows out. And then I got this guy a lot of times, Jesse London, who's playing guitar with me, and somehow he's following me, and I have no idea where I'm going next, you know, so, and i'd like to start doing with the whole band, you know, you know, you throw away the ones that don't work. Sometimes I miss a rhyme horribly, you know what I mean, And I would go back and fix it, but I go, well, I can just go do five more. But the time it takes to fix it. Now, if I refine the songs. And I went in and got a band and record him took a couple of months. You know, I don't think anybody's going to hear it anyway, you know. So that's one reason I just kind of well, this is a new era of the Internet. People just going to listen to it once or whatever. I might as well just do what I like. I can put him out there and hope somebody loves it.
Speaker 1: How do you decide what the subject matter is? Lyrically?
Speaker 2: When I sometimes I have a thought, you know, I'm sitting at the beach and I see a dog, and so I start writing, big dog come in my way, Big dog coming my way. You know, a lot of times when I pick up the guitar, I start playing, even at the gig, I have no idea what I'm going to talk about, and then I'll sing one phrase and all of a sudden, the whole idea of what the song might be about pops into my head and I just do it.
Speaker 1: And in terms of your everyday life, what do you do other than this?
Speaker 2: You read?
Speaker 1: You said you weren't a sportsman. Do you exercise? What do you doing? To what degree does that inform your songwriting?
Speaker 2: Well, the major intellectual pastime for the whole United States is watching TV, and I do my share of that, you know, And I read. I read quite a bit and everything I just reread. Little Sister Raymond Chandler, you know, and I read some stuff about the music business and biographies of Einstein, and a lot of fiction and science fiction William Gibson and all those guys. And so yeah, I do a lot of reading, watching TV. I swim a little in the morning. Then I go over to the beach for the sunset, make up some songs, come home, have dinner, and then after dinner, I sit there and listen to what I made up and type out the lyrics and post them. And then you go every day, almost every day. It's not like I have to, but see I'm in the head. I like to go down and watch the sunset. Anyway. If I don't, I feel like I somehow missed the day.
Speaker 1: You know, Okay, if you go down to the sun set, you write one song, or you write multiple songs or what does it depend.
Speaker 2: Upon multiple songs? Because basically I get the guitar out and set up the set up the iPhone on a tripod with my little mic, and then I just played till I get tired of it. So I might get you know, I mean, I might write seven songs a day, or eight or three or four, and then I get home and I go, Now, these these aren't very good and throw them away, and I keep and I'll be going, maybe I better stop doing this, and all of a sudden I'll see one and I'll listen to it and go, oh my gosh, this is incredible, this is really good. So it keeps me going. So yes, I can write multiple songs a day instead of when I started, which was like ten songs a year. Oh I don't know how that happened.
Speaker 1: But would you you're making a new solo album, you send me a couple of tracks, Is that whole different experience? Or any of these songs going to be on the album?
Speaker 2: Yeah, a couple of these songs are going to be in the album. I've taken a couple and if I do work on them, generally, what it is is like they have maybe too many verses they don't need, so I throw a couple away. But yes, so I'll put a couple of those on there. Okay, Now the experience is totally different. You referenced this early or how many people are actually going to see the video hear the video? So you're still making records. A lot of people don't even bother anymore. Who are of our evantage? What keeps you motivated into what degree? Are you depressed that you're an artist? You want people to experience your art, but inherently there's so much stuff it's difficult.
Speaker 1: To reach people.
Speaker 2: Yeah. That's a hell of a question, in't it. Boy. Well, I keep moving. I'm trying every possible thing. For some reason, my wife says, you know, you don't have to do anything, you can just do nothing. And sometimes I slump into that, but mostly, you know, if I see something on the Instagram, Oh, here's a cool guitar. Oh here's a thing you can do, I'm just interested. That's what I'm interested in.
Speaker 1: And then.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the flow of creativity and the desire to do that and the satisfaction of doing that. And then the other end is to complete the circle. You want some human beings to see and appreciate and maybe like what you did. Those are two different things. I don't know what point is. At one point, I say, well, how many people? How many people do I need to see this song, you know, to feel like it's okay, you know, And then I thought, well, it depends, you know. If I got one comment saying this is a great song, well, if it was James Taylor, I go, Okay, that's all I need. But and I guess maybe I don't have very many subscribers. But you know, like if I add up the Instagram and the Facebook and all that, maybe maybe a thousand people. You know, it's hard to tell because most of the numbers on the internet. I'll tell you how you're doing, are big fat lies. They're just big fat lies designed to make you think it's happening. But the comments, somebody really usually has to write the comments. So it's just it's the dilemma of our time because there used to be entertainers or performers or creators, and then there used to be people who, you know, we're audience, and now everyone is a star. You know, everyone is a performer, and the only way to really interest them is to get them in on the action and let them do part of it. So it's just so different than it's ever been, and it's going to become even more radically different. So what can we do. We just have to roll with the flow.
Speaker 1: Okay. And in terms of your friends, I find a lot of my friends. There's a friend of mine calls them the civilians. They're retiring, they're done Okay, So to what degree does that affect you this stage of life? Do you find you're the only person working. What's it like amongst your friends and how to impacts you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well there's a few friends that are frustrated, you know. But yeah, and some people are retiring.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't have a hobby that i'd rather do, so I'm not going to tire until I'm just too tired to do it or something.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: My friend's writing a book called The Frustrated Creative, but I don't think he's going to be able to solve the problem. You know. It's just like you have to, you have to adjust your mind and say, oh gee, I don't care. But that's kind of a lie, you know, especially after having work that so many people are still listening to. And yet but then I think, well, I can't get anybody to listen to what I'm doing. But then again, if you know, if Willie Nelson cut my song, or if all these people they're not on the radio either. So there, and so I asked an expert what should I do to get an audience? And the expert was you, And you wrote back very kindly and said maybe you can get some songs cut in Nashville, you know. So I tried to do that, but that's not really happening anymore either. It's so I don't know if people want to retire. I just don't think I'll be happy if I'm not creating some kind of musical thing.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's almost like I feel they're like, yeah, I just had this breakthrough where I can do stuff way more and better than I've ever done it before, you know, But I don't have any Eagles to make the song's hits, you know, and I don't see that happening.
Speaker 1: Well. I mean, the Eagles album that you had a couple of songs on came out, what two thousand and seven, and the world has already changed since then sixteen years. Even if the Eagles cut it, yeah, very few people will. I mean, the Eagles is a group, but who you know, let's not go down that road.
Speaker 2: Other than the when they did Long Road out of Eden and then they were going to play and they cut a couple of my songs on there, but they were going to play and I said, Glenn, how many songs are you going to do off your new album? Well, we're just going to do two because nobody wants to hear them. That's when they get up and go to the bathroom when we do the new songs. So and then I don't think they're interested in doing another record, you know. So yeah, Well, the great.
Speaker 1: Thing is you're making music. You've seen the other end of it, whereas a lot of the people, you know, we're bitching and moaning that things are different. Listen, it's frustrating for me too, you know, as I say, used to be top down. It's not top down anymore anyway, Jack, I think we have come to the feeling, the end of the feeling we've known. Just to make sure because we went back and forth an email. Is there anything I didn't cover that you haven't urge to talk about.
Speaker 2: I don't think so. I just have to say, after reading you for years and now, it's just been a great pleasure to talk to you. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Well. You know, you have this sense of humor that is just so great and I can see why everybody wanted you around and in the room. In addition of writing these great songs and any of it, and it's really you're an inspiration for people. You got to keep doing I mean, especially today, when people don't do it for the music. They do it to become famous or to sell something out else. It's just not enough the music. But as you say, it's continuing to evolve. In any event, Jack, thanks so much for doing this.
Speaker 2: Thanks Bob, it has been great. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: You'd bet until next time. This is Bob left sets