Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Final Hour on this Thursday, The Big Unit Randy Johnson be back with US football tonight, Vikings at the Rams. Rams getting two and a half the fallout from this if the Rams happen to lose. Trade deadline moved back a week this year November fifth. Now you have two games that can play into if a team is buying or selling. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official Trading Cards of The Dan Patrick Show eight seven to seven to three DP show. We'll get to those phone calls coming up tonight later on today and football coming up tonight. Basketball tonight, we got a full slate of NBA openers. Watched a lot of basketball last night, not necessarily good basketball. I was watching a little bit of the Nets game, and I even watched the pregame for the Nets because I wanted to see what they did with Ben Simmons. And there was an interview, not necessarily a sit down interview, but this was probably a shoot around earlier in the day, and he just talked about, you know, he's blessed to be able to play. It's a blessing to be able to put on an NBA uniform. You still watch and I've said two things about him that I think are absolutely true. When I first saw him play at LSU, I said, I think he's a right handed shooter, but he's shooting left handed. And then the other part is I think he's just a really good basketball player. But I don't know if he loves playing basketball. I think you're six ' nine, got a handle here, Well, you should play basketball. I don't know if he cares about playing basketball. I think he cares about the lifestyle that brings to him. But I watch him play and you could actually see him thinking in real time when he's going up for a shot, and then he doesn't want to get found because he doesn't want to.
Speaker 3: Be embarrassed at the free throw line.
Speaker 2: He'll make a couple of really nice passes, or he'll have a couple of nice plays, and then you'll see him kind of revert back.
Speaker 3: To I don't want to shoot, I don't want to get found. I don't want to go to the line.
Speaker 2: I do like making thirty million dollars a year, though, And you watch that NETS franchise that is nondescript, and even with the Hawks with Trey Young. It's kind of nondescript, and there's a few of those teams where you okay, all right, but then you know, you got Minnesota came out of nowhere, and you're like, okay, they're interesting now. Like you're gonna get Houston, I think, is a team that can come out of nowhere and you go, well, there's a lot of fun there. There's a couple of teams. It happens every year. It happens every year in sports where somebody all of a sudden, it's their year, it's their time they make that big jump.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 2: We're still waiting for the Pelicans to make that jump, like is it going to happen?
Speaker 3: Is Zion going to be a thing? Is he going to be bigger?
Speaker 2: John Morant's back watching John Morant and they're like, okay, I watched Golden State. They blew out Portland. Golden State's going to be a really good team. I still think that they're going to make a trade at some point. But I don't know if Golden State is more interesting without Klay Thompson or Dallas is more interesting with Klay Thompson. I would say Dallas with Clay and they have this stat. There's so many stats out there. I didn't even know they kept these stats. Corner threes. Teams that took corner threes and what were their percentages?
Speaker 3: Last year?
Speaker 2: Dallas had a really really low corner three percentage. Well, who's really good from the corner shooting threes? Klay Thompson? You have Luca, you got Kyrie. This is kind of that. Okay, let's go. Let's and I know they made the NBA Finals. I realized that Luca is one. I want to see Luca be the MVP, not just have incredible stats, to truly be the MVP. I still think it's Jason Tatum's to lose because they're defending champs. They're the best team in basketball, and he's the best player on the best team in basketball. And I would think if you start there and we start to see the evolution of Jason Tatum, he's still young, relatively young. He should be the mvpick. But Luca, I think is the leader right now. Yes, Mark, I.
Speaker 4: Think for Jason Tatum because the Celtics are so stacked. I think the Celtics have to win sixty eight, sixty nine, seventy games in order for him to win MVP, because everyone came back and they won sixty four games, and so I think people were saying, well, of course they're a really good team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we didn't do that to Larry Bird. We didn't go, hey, you got Michale and Perish. Everybody's back, So why are we doing that to Jason Tatum.
Speaker 4: We've been disrespecting Jason Tatum and Jalen Brown all summer long. I didn't know all of us, Steve Kerr did. We're all complicit and I didn't do it. Jason Tatum the over underwing DraftKings. I just saw it. It's forty eight and a half for Jason Tatum against the Warriors. Oh no, he's going to go all against.
Speaker 5: The war under.
Speaker 3: The Celtics and Golden State plays.
Speaker 4: I don't know Christmas Day whenever he finds them, I would.
Speaker 2: Be curious what the over under it wall be. It'll probably be twenty eight and a.
Speaker 4: Half in the first half.
Speaker 3: Yes, you're right, all right.
Speaker 2: All right, fair enough, if that's what you think. Celtics are playing the Wizards tonight, let's go. Can you watch half of a team, like half the game like I watched just the Celtics tonight and not the Wizards. We need to come up with a TV that says, let me, let me get rid of the Wizards and just watch the Celtics. Spurs are getting eight against Luca and Company. Okay, see Clay in Company. As Todd brought up starting the show, you know it's went By against Klay Thompson.
Speaker 3: I go, maybe not.
Speaker 2: That's the way to sell Oklahoma City against the Nuggets and Timberwolves versus the Kings.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: See, not to go back to Ben Simmons.
Speaker 6: But I was kind of part of me was really looking forward to and like hopeful that part of the storyline this year for the NBA season would be the Ben Simmons revenge tour. Like that would be so sick if all of a sudden he he went away for a while and he came back as just like a legit dude proving himself.
Speaker 3: God, that would have been so much fun. Yeah, but he still can't shoot. You don't go away.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but I watched all those off season videos of him working out in New York, and he found a shot.
Speaker 2: See I could I could videotape myself with an off season workout and you go all right, yeah, and I could see a spot for him. I know he's a John Paxson kind of guy.
Speaker 6: I like a redemption story better than a yeah.
Speaker 3: I guess he really does think story.
Speaker 2: He can't shoot, and he doesn't have confidence, So I don't know what came first. Hey, I don't have confidence. I can't shoot, or I can't shoot. I don't have confidence. Here turns out he can't really pass either. At least Lonzo Ball worked on his shot, came back from a severe knee injury, and at least he got back. He worked to get back. I just don't think Ben Simmons cares. Yeah, Pauline, you're right.
Speaker 7: It's not that he maybe can't shoot. He's just reluctant or paralyzed.
Speaker 3: No, No, he can't shoot.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he You know, he has five three pointers in seven years.
Speaker 3: So he's gone five more than I do.
Speaker 7: Right, he hasn't He hasn't attempted one.
Speaker 2: I would, I would, I would sign up for a shooting contest against Ben Simmons.
Speaker 7: He hasn't attempted one in three seasons. It's not even part of your they're centers who take them. If you watch him last night, he had a pass first minute of the game and all that pass then a real nice layup. Then the rest of the game. He just like this, mantled himself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we talked a little bit about the Clippers home court advantage. Didn't necessarily work last night, but went into overtime and Kevin Durant talked about the Intuit dome.
Speaker 5: A the ms that liked to play in this building. Incredible. I loved it at last I absolutely loved the water.
Speaker 8: They guys, Yeah, it's insane, I know in the playoffs, and you know, once people get more more comfortable with the arena, it's gonna be insane here. So I always love when new venues go up in our league. Is always cool. Always sets the standard for what they come down the line.
Speaker 5: You know. So Steve is doing great job.
Speaker 2: As franchise all right, All right, kind of laying it on a little thick there in case you're forty one years of age and you leave the Suns and then you get signed by Steve Balmer there go to Los Angeles. You know, remember those things I said nice things about the Clippers. All right, we'll sign you. How much do you want to make?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Marv, sorry to go back to Boston. Yeah, Golden State at the Celtics when November six, let's go.
Speaker 2: Right after the NFL trade deadline over under Jason Tatum. All right, I'm going to go into the thirties here. I'm gonna go thirty one and a half. Thirty one and a half for Jason Tatum against Steve Kerr in the Golden State War.
Speaker 4: I'm going to stick with fifty six and a half. He's going to be locked and loaded for Steve Kerr, our first team all NBA. I can't Derek White played more than me.
Speaker 3: Let's not do this again. Come get up, no getting up, Let's get up. Talk about this. Oh I can't hear you. Come on, let's go. Come on everyone, pit up. You can be louder that I.
Speaker 2: Can't even do both hands because I have to only do one since I'd have to do like that.
Speaker 3: Come on, get up.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Bradloha, give it up for your starting center, THEO ratlings.
Speaker 4: Stroma Swift, You're starting guard.
Speaker 3: Alvin william comes Pearl.
Speaker 2: What's ladies and gentlemen, Baron Davis Davids, I'm gonna be the the public address announcer. I'd like to do that you never done that. No, no, no, no, I never got that opportunity. The only time I did it is when we kind of said to the San Francisco Giants in spring training, hey, could I just introduce Barry Bonds when he comes to the plate, And they're like, I was doing the radio show at the same time, and then they gave me a microphone. I added the microphone for the radio show, so I was doing it was a simulcast of sorts, and that's when I said, now, batting number twenty five, the left fielder, Barry Bonds. I don't know if that's the way you're supposed to sound when you do that, Boh Buns. And then he homered and I said, now batting number twenty five, a man who homered for me, and it is lasted bad. And then everybody turns around. Bonds looks up, like, what's going on? Barry Bonds? And then we asked for him and he said no, Bob Paully, it was a quick note, Yeah, Polly Goes, I said, go ask Bonds to come on the show. I mean, I just said, I predicted you hit a home run. Paully Goes down. The Giants dugout and so we go to commercial breaking, I said, and he goes, oh no, it was.
Speaker 3: A quick no.
Speaker 7: You want to talk about a tough gig in sports, Walk up to Barry Bonds when he's trying to pack up in spring training and ask him to do an interview, you get a bit off, a bit off fast.
Speaker 2: I remember flying cross country because he said he would do an interview through his management, and I went cross country from the East Coast out there and I'm their pregame.
Speaker 3: I remember Jeff Kent going, what are you doing here? I go, I'm doing an interview with Barry. He goes, does he know that?
Speaker 2: He said yeah, yeah, I set it up through his agent. And then Bonds comes out and I said, hey, Dan Patrick. He goes, yeah, I said, yeah, I'm here do an interview. He goes, who said, I said, no, you and gave him the name and he picks up his phone. He's like, hey, what the blah blah buh blah blah blah buh bah.
Speaker 3: You did all right? Hangs up phone.
Speaker 2: My producer has the microphone and he gives the microphone to Barry and Barry goes, Slavery's over.
Speaker 3: I ain't holding that microphone. I'm like, oh my god, I.
Speaker 2: Haven't even started the interview. And it was Darren Smith, who was my producer. He says, here's your microphone. He's not gonna hold it during the interview. Oh my god, got the interview. I don't know if it was any good. Do you have the play by play there?
Speaker 3: Mark? This is two thousand and four spring training.
Speaker 2: The left fielder and rating National Leake MVP, Barry Buns. Bond, the left fielder batting fourth number twenty five, a man who homeward in his lasted bat for me. Let's all rise and welcome Barry Bonds.
Speaker 3: Let's all rise, and it's spring training.
Speaker 2: Let's all rise and welcome Verry Bah Oh what an idiot? Me Andrew and Washington. Then we'll take a break. The big unit Randy Johnson will join us.
Speaker 3: Hey Andrew, Good morning.
Speaker 10: Dan, Dennis, thanks for taking my call. It is great to see the NBA in mid season form with embid and PG thirteen out y on the bench and hard and fumbling it no t with you know, missing a free throw and not getting the inbounds pass in. So that's wonderful to see all them in their mid season form. I did have a stat of the day NFL style to go into Week eight. Baltimore Ravens have done something twice in five years that have only been done twice previously since nineteen eighty. They have now rushed for more than fourteen hundred yards through seven weeks in the NFL. The only other team to do that since nineteen eighty the two thousand and six Falcons and then nineteen eighty four Caps.
Speaker 2: Bears Stat of your Day, Stat of the Day, Pop Bob, stat of the Day.
Speaker 3: Stat of the day. Here come, here comes that? What stat of the day.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll take a break. We'll talk a little baseball with Randy Johnson. The Big Unit stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. Good morning, if you're watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading the app. We'll take a break. We're back after this Dan Patrick show. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live. He's Randy Johnson joining us on behalf of Direct TV, where fans can catch all of their sports World Series, NFL, NBA, NHL, all satellite free.
Speaker 3: The bird Ballpark.
Speaker 2: Campaign, launched earlier this year, has been an acknowledgment by the Baseball Hall of Fame Randy joining us on the program.
Speaker 3: Where are your cy Young's?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 11: One's a door stop here in my office, and the others are throughout the house. One's a paper way to hear on my desk, and one is a door stop, and then the other two or three or somewhere.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Let me let me see the one on your desk there.
Speaker 11: Uh well, it's not it's not viewable right now because I'm talking with with my desktop computer.
Speaker 3: Oh you can't lift that up and just hold it and show it to us?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Can I have one of them?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 11: Yes, thank you, Yes, as soon as you as soon as you personally get off the disabled list.
Speaker 5: I understand you had shoulder surgery.
Speaker 3: Yep. Yeah. When's the last time you had shoulder surgery?
Speaker 12: Uh?
Speaker 11: Well, I I tore my rotator cuffed my last year in San Francisco, and I just let it scar over. I never went and had surgery, and that's the way my career ended. And so but I have had knee replacement surgery last year in November, a lot of wear and tear on my landing leg, and I liked it so much that surgery part of it that I'm going back next week and having them clean up scar tissue I had because just because I liked the meds that they give me.
Speaker 2: I had the knee done a couple of years ago, and it's one of those where you go, why didn't I do this sooner? Because they they got hips and knees down shoulders, they don't have down to an exact science.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Well, you know, I've been retired for about fourteen years, Dan, and when you're playing, you got youth, and you got trainers and doctors and things like that that you know, the aches and pains don't seem to show up as much. But when you get away from the game, you're removed from it fourteen years, the aches and pains and the injuries seem to circle back and they let you know that they're still here. So I hope you get up the disabled US soon because someone will be come calling for you for your free agent year this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: If I was only a left handed pitcher, you know, I got a couple of random questions here, Why is it still a big deal when a left handed batter has to face a left handed pitcher, Like, oh my god, what an advantage?
Speaker 11: Like why don't they talk about right handed pictures face your right handed hitter?
Speaker 5: I don't know. That's a good question.
Speaker 11: I'm going to have my staff work on that question and hopefully we can.
Speaker 5: Get the answer before we're done here.
Speaker 2: But haven't we evolved where it's not a novelty Where you go, we don't see left handers very often, I would think.
Speaker 11: With I think it's just a novel idea to talk about it, because there's not that many left handed pitchers and base there's not that many left handed people generally in the world, let alone in sports, and so I guess it's just kind of a novel idea.
Speaker 3: How would you pitch to Otani carefully?
Speaker 11: I still watch seriously, I mean, you know, and Soto and Judge, I mean these people that you know. And I faced a lot of big home run hitters. You know, for twenty two years, I gave up a lot of home runs. I don't know where, you know, I.
Speaker 5: Gave up four hundred and something home runs.
Speaker 2: And we walk me through this Otani's at the plate. Let's say first and bat against you well, and.
Speaker 11: I've seen I've seen he pulls off the ball a lot, and so I would probably be very careful pitching any left hander down and in. The swing plane for a left handed hitter is usually down and up, where as a right handed hitter usually has a more level swing plane. If you throw a ball, if you look at a lot of home runs hit by a left handed hitter, the ball is usually down and in because that's the swing plane for a left handed hitter, whereas a right handed hitter out over the middle of the plate. The swing plane is more straight across, sweeping across home plate. But I would be very careful with them. I would start off, whether it was a ball or strike, letting him know that I'm pitching in, get him off the plate, and then I would try to elevate pitches.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't pitch down and in.
Speaker 11: I would elevate, but I know he can hit a ball up too as well, and then I would work them down and a way. What about judge, Judge, I would pitch like a Frank Thomas someone like that. I've made mistakes to Frank and heat, the ball still orbiting somewhere, but I would get ahead, hopefully hopefully, and then throw my breaking ball down and in and hopefully I wouldn't hang it, because if I did, he's going to hit at six hundred feet.
Speaker 2: If I would have told you your rookie year that you would win five cy Youngs, what would you have said?
Speaker 11: I would have had you administer to some kind of pee test or drug test.
Speaker 5: I don't think that would have.
Speaker 11: Uh, you know, a lot a lot happened, and it's well documented.
Speaker 5: After i'd you know, got together.
Speaker 11: And and uh talked to Tom House and Nolan Ryan. You know, that was really a pivotal and turning point of my career. I had had a lot of pitching coaches in the minor leagues up to that point. Uh, and I'm very thankful for all of them, but none of them really had that one little thing where it got me over the hill and really.
Speaker 5: Got my you know, consistency with my mechanics. Uh.
Speaker 11: Having a conversation with them was, you know, a fifteen minute conversation down in the in the bullpen, Tom House talking to me, watching Nolan Ryan do what Tom House is talking and then and then it was really up to me to you know, go out there and do that and work on it. It was the middle of the season when we had that conversation. Uh, and then it was, you know, a matter of me working on this. And when you've been doing something wrong or you know your way, and now all of a.
Speaker 5: Sudden you're trying to change something, it's not easy.
Speaker 11: It's just like, you know, I had hitters tell me that I was tipping my pitches, and uh, you know, I would fan my glove on a breaking ball and I would squeeze my glove on a fastball, and hitters, wow, when you're looking at me getting ready to deliver, it's just that fraction of a second that they need to determine whether what's coming. And evidently I was doing that. I would see it after they would tell me. But you know what, I talked to lots of Hall of Fame pitchers and they said that they were doing it. It's not the easiest thing to change, even though you want to, because you don't want to go out you might as well just say, hey, fast falls coming, kind of like you're throwing batting practice. But yeah, I mean, I just think changing things, whether it's mechanics.
Speaker 5: You know, it's just difficult. But you know I was able to.
Speaker 11: Do that, and then it was early enough of my career and then and then really reap the benefits of having those conversations with Nolan and Tom.
Speaker 3: But what kind of picture would you be today?
Speaker 2: Let's say you know you're ready to be in the major leagues, But how would baseball use Randy Johnson?
Speaker 5: I don't think. I don't think.
Speaker 11: I think the only pitcher that would probably be still really special as he was when he played, because he was so good, he would be that same kind of picture in today's game. I don't think is Greg Maddox people like that. I don't think a power pitcher like myself or Pedro or Roger in today's game would be looked at in the same regards as we were in our era. I think because velocity is more prevalent in today's game. I think hitters can hit more velocity, high velocity pitches. It's coming out of your starting pitcher, is coming out of your bullpen all the time, and I just think they're adjusted to do it more now than they were back in the nineties. Win maybe a handful of people through the upper nineties, you know, ninety five to one hundred whatever.
Speaker 2: It was talking to Randy Johnson, Hall of Famer and joining us on behalf of direct TV the bird Ballpark campaign.
Speaker 3: We got one of those that you sent to me. That thing still.
Speaker 2: I mean, I was going to say it lives on, the bird doesn't live on, but just you blasting a bird in spring training.
Speaker 11: Twenty three years ago, Dan, And and that seems to be running into anybody you know here there. That seems to be the highlight of my career or what they may remember. And so it was a great Uh, it's been a great partnership with direct TV. They used their direct TV satellite dishes in mimicking these these bird ballparks, and so it was a lot of fun to be a part of that. And uh and they're gonna bring one now to the Hall of Fame, and so I think more there'll be more exposure. And it's just been a great campaign, a lot of fun. And uh, you know, Dan, for more information on streaming direct TV satellite free, go to DirecTV dot com.
Speaker 2: At you being a salesman, you're a you're a regular Peyton Manning, did you Oh yeah, sure did you go to USC for baseball and basketball. I see you got your Trojan Henna baseball and basketball.
Speaker 11: Well, let's be honest, Dan, I couldn't really jump, and I didn't start playing basketball until my freshman year in high school. Uh.
Speaker 5: But the story is the.
Speaker 11: When I got to high school, being a freshman, I was probably around you know, six eight, six nine then maybe about one hundred and sixties hundred and seventy pounds.
Speaker 5: If you can.
Speaker 3: Imagine intimidating, very intimidating.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, sure. Uh.
Speaker 11: My pe teacher was also the basketball coach and asked, because there wasn't a lot of you know, tall people at my high school, he asked if I had any interest in playing basketball, and I said, well, I've never really played organized basketball before. You know, I've played Pop Warner football, was a quarterback in a tennis and obviously baseball. I would try, but I don't know much about, you know, my footwork and playing basketball. So we worked at it in pe classes and then I went out and played three years of high school and I actually got offered scholarships to play basketball.
Speaker 5: And that's not to say that I was.
Speaker 11: Going to be any good, but you know, it just goes to show for anybody.
Speaker 5: That's listening right now.
Speaker 11: You know, if you, you know, put your time and effort into something, you never know what will come from it. And so, but the USC thing was strictly baseball. Okay, I think, but you know how you know, scholarships work. There's a limited amount of scholarships in sports, and there probably was even less or more a little bit more back in the eighties. So I think they just kind of it was baseball slash basketball.
Speaker 2: In nineteen ninety two, Randy Johnson led the league in strike ounce, walks, batters hit by pitch, and wild pitches. Congratulations, thank you you were new to us.
Speaker 5: That's a record.
Speaker 2: They were surely broken. Nobody wants to break that. Did you ever feel bad when you hit somebody?
Speaker 5: Not always no, but.
Speaker 11: You know what, a lot of times it was my breaking ball, my slider that and I would hit their back foot.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, but how many guys do you think you hit on purpose in your career?
Speaker 5: What's that?
Speaker 3: How many guys do you think you hit on purpose?
Speaker 11: I don't know, Dan, Where do I rank as your staff right now? My staff is out on the front sidewalk right now, because I overworked them and underpay them.
Speaker 5: So as your staff.
Speaker 3: Okay, where you rank on hit by pitches?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 5: So where do I rank?
Speaker 3: PAULI?
Speaker 5: Do you know how many? Is that?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 7: I'm checking. It's easier to find batters hit by pitch? But Randy Johnson, I have n't hitting one hundred and ninety people in his career, which is up there?
Speaker 11: Where does that rank? Is there any pitcher there's thrown hit batter more than that?
Speaker 7: We're checking right now.
Speaker 2: I gotta believe Nolan Ryan hit more guys than you, I would think, and probably on purpose.
Speaker 5: Too, probably half of them.
Speaker 2: He might have been the meanest guy. Him and Bob Gibson might have been the meanest guys I ever saw in the mound.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I obviously I got to see Nolan pitch. I actually even pitched against him.
Speaker 2: Wait, you have more? Does he have more hit by pitches than Nolan Ryan?
Speaker 7: Randy Johnson one ninety Nolan Ryan one fifty eight?
Speaker 3: What is wrong with Nolan? Damn?
Speaker 2: I think I could get Nolan Ryan throwing ninety miles an hour if I gave him six weeks.
Speaker 11: Randy, I don't doubt it. I don't doubt it. You know, he's just he's one of those uh truly athletes that come along once in a lifetime, not once in a decade or whatever, you know, just once in a lifetime. You won't you know that movie that facing Nolan, Uh you watch the end of it. And when when you're usually rolling the credits for a movie, you know the names and all that stuff. Those are all of his accomplishments. It's just like, come on, why do.
Speaker 7: You have an update, PAULI, Yeah, this is big news unit your second all time only two. I got Walter Johnson no relation.
Speaker 5: And yes, absolutely look that up too, Walter John's family.
Speaker 2: No, that was different. Walter Johnson pitched when you pitched like sixty games.
Speaker 7: A year than Randy Johnson.
Speaker 2: If you look at in the modern day, Randy Johnson hit more guys than any other pitch.
Speaker 7: Yes, and hit batsman by start, you're the all time champ.
Speaker 3: Congratulate about a round of applause.
Speaker 5: For yeah, yeah right, But.
Speaker 11: You're not sure that I didn't know before this conversation today.
Speaker 3: But you don't know how many you hit on purpose?
Speaker 5: No, I wouldn't say very many.
Speaker 2: Well, who pissed you off for you go, you know what, somebody's got to take somebody getting drilled here.
Speaker 5: Well, you know it was Uh.
Speaker 11: I usually only retaliated if and I would always ask my hitter if he felt like he got hit on purpose, and if he did, then I obviously would hit retaliate.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 11: But what I come to realize, uh, and what would be kind of like the inside joke on the bench during the game was the days that I was pitching most of our hitters, my hitters.
Speaker 5: Didn't have to worry about getting.
Speaker 11: Hit because if they did, then there was going to be you know, hell to pay, you know. And so I'm sure those hitters on the other team told the pitcher, make sure you don't.
Speaker 5: Pitch inside too much today.
Speaker 11: But I did protect my hitters, and I didn't have a problem with that at all. I'm not out there to you know, hit anybody or not not out there to hurt anybody.
Speaker 5: But I'm out there to protect my players. And that was just a way the game has always been played.
Speaker 3: Who's your pick on the World Series?
Speaker 11: Well, I saw today that it's Coal and Flaherty. I was kind of hoping I wanted to see Cole and Yakamoto.
Speaker 5: Is that is that was his name. I'm pronounce Yamamota. Excuse me, excuse me.
Speaker 11: I was kind of hoping to see that matchup because I think that will be the tail tale of how this whole thing is going to pan out. But uh, I think anything can happen. I don't think it's going to be a short series. I think, you know, I watched the National League much more than the American League, so I've been watching the Dodgers a lot, and obviously when they come through Arizona, I see them.
Speaker 5: I watched the series against San Diego.
Speaker 11: I think I think, excuse me, I think the Doggers will inevitably win, but I think it's going to be a close series. I'm just kind of curious to see how Roberts uses the bullpen like he's been doing. You know, if they can hold up and keep doing what they've been doing for the most part successfully, you know, then I then I think, uh, the pitching is really what's going to you know, have to you know, rise to the top. That's what that's what's gonna shut down both mega offenses.
Speaker 3: Great to talk to you again, my pleasure next.
Speaker 5: Year at some point the State of the Union Address.
Speaker 3: Again Okay, I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: And uh if you you know once you find that Cy Young, that I mean, you got five of them, Like, what's what's losing one really matter to you?
Speaker 11: How About how about like some kind of baseball or patch or I can babblehead for your desk right here, Cy.
Speaker 3: Young, look a whole lot better.
Speaker 11: All right, Well, you know what, next time we have a conversation, I'll have all five of them right behind me.
Speaker 2: Okay, there'd be a nice little backdrop. Okay, be nice. Great to talk to you.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Randy, and good luck to your shoulder. Thank you.
Speaker 2: That's Randy Johnson joining us on behalf of Direct TV. Good luck to my shoulder. Get my stitches out, sutures out today, I go in and get them.
Speaker 3: Clip there.
Speaker 2: Yes, Tom, that's the same guy that was so scary on the man that we used to watch pitch.
Speaker 4: That's amazing to me.
Speaker 2: Only on game day. That's when you didn't approach him. I made the mistake of approaching him on game day at Wrigley Field. It didn't go well. We'll take a break back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPP.
Speaker 2: I can't believe that here we are at the end of the show on Thursday. It. I can't believe tomorrow's Friday already. Wow, alrighty, last call for phone calls. What we learn, what's in store tomorrow. Brady Quinn will join us, Jason Garrett will stop buying as well. I saw where Jerry Jones basically through Mike McCarthy and the offense under the bus, talking about how bad the play calling has been. You imagine you're Mike McCarthy, like you're just You're trying to keep your head above water, and every time you put your head up, Jerry puts his foot on top of your head. So you now have to go to a press conference where they go Jerry said, the play calling isn't any good.
Speaker 3: Jerry, Jerry, Jerry, I get it.
Speaker 2: He's content, but he is it's conduct content detrimental to the Cowboys.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: Stat of the Day has been brought to you by the great folks at Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. How about today's head line for tomorrow game?
Speaker 3: Tonight?
Speaker 2: Vikings Rams PAULI is volunteered to go first right the headline today that will be apropos for tomorrow.
Speaker 7: Rams get van Ginkled Vikings linebacker steals the show. I just want to say the name Bang Ginkle.
Speaker 2: I wish his name was Rip, Yeah, Rip Van Ginkle on Andrew Van Ginkle of the.
Speaker 3: Van Ginkles, the Newport ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 2: It's like the Von Trapp family and Sound of Music ladies and gentlemen, the von Ginkle family, the von Ginkle family.
Speaker 3: All right, Todd. Today's headline for tomorrow, Purple people cheaters, Minnesota wins.
Speaker 6: On controversial call.
Speaker 3: Cheating Purple people cheaters.
Speaker 4: Wow, they pull it out on a weird call at the end there.
Speaker 3: See.
Speaker 7: But if it's a weird call that's on the rest.
Speaker 3: Well maybe there's a rule violation. That thing's gonna happen in those minute something like that. All right, Seaton Uh two QB's no cup h Wow, Marvin.
Speaker 4: Good times. JJ leads the Vikings to a wing.
Speaker 5: Oh there you go, Okay, thank you times. Yeah.
Speaker 7: I thought about J. J. McCarthy was like, I don't.
Speaker 3: Hurt JJ Walker. I love that dude.
Speaker 6: Man, he's become one of my favorite guys in sports, sing Justin Justin Jefferson.
Speaker 3: I love that, dude.
Speaker 2: Man, oh, I thought you were talking about JJ McCarthy.
Speaker 5: Should j J.
Speaker 7: McCarthy have to give up the JJ because he was second on the team.
Speaker 2: If Justin Jefferson wants it right, he's going to get it absolutely.
Speaker 3: Jets is a great nickname though, Jets. Yeah, JJ, I think I think Justin Jefferson his nickname is Jets. Oh okay, yeah, that's like.
Speaker 12: I like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Michael and Fort Wayne. Hi, Mike, thanks for holding what's on your mind?
Speaker 13: Heygo mornin Dan, thanks for taking my call. Prayers for your shoulder and also prayers for my jaw, which just hit the floor after Seaton's most recent comment, wow wow. Yeah. You talked earlier this week quite a bit about Tua and his guardian helmet, and I'd like to share one perspective that's not been discussed yet.
Speaker 12: I propose that the.
Speaker 13: NFL does not want him anywhere near a guardian helmet, and I'll tell you why. According to the NFL, the helmet reduces concussions by about fifty percent, and that is not enough to help Tua. Sua has had ugly concussions, not just getting his bell rung and running off the field, but neurological symptoms while he's collapsed on the field and dramatically stopping play. And the NFL does not want him wearing a guardian helmet if it happens again.
Speaker 3: All right, well, thank you, Michael.
Speaker 2: I don't think the NFL once amount they're playing uh Sean in Cincinnati, Hi Sean.
Speaker 12: Hey Dan, thanks so much for taking my call.
Speaker 1: YEP.
Speaker 12: Just wanted to make a quick complaint. Not that I would ever complain about the show, but one of the dan EPs has has really affected my Thursday night football viewing. Not only have the games not been great, but all I can hear now when I watch Thursday night football is Seatan in the back of my head going in.
Speaker 2: Beer Saton Satan doing is al Michael's impersonation.
Speaker 3: He goes in there, regal when you did it? To al Michaels he goes, I sound like that, I think, he said. I hope I don't sound in their regal. It was unfortunate, Todd. Would you learn today? How would Hall of Famer Randy Johnson pitch the show? Hey TONI care Setan, what did you learn Christopher mad Dog Russo doesn't have time for hair?
Speaker 4: How about that uh Marvin mad Dog's wife out of town?
Speaker 3: Yeah, his hair looked like a mess, Polly.
Speaker 7: Would you learn Randy Jason is high on life?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 3: Todd? What did I I love? By the way that uh mad Dog? They're like, hey, man, did you even look at your hary?
Speaker 13: Like?
Speaker 3: My wife's out of town? Like somehow like he can't Comba's hair.
Speaker 2: What we learned brought to you by tire rack dot comfcial tire expert of the Danpatrick Show. Go to tyrac dot com slash stand and use the Tire Decision Guide special offers free roadh hazard protection, mobile tire installation. Tirac dot com. The Way Tire Buying Should Be Gambling podcast up later at Danpatrick dot com. Have a great day, everybody. We'll talk to you tomorrow.