Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Final Hour on this Meet Friday. It's a champions Meet Friday. PAULI won the Masters Pool Championship and he got to pick the menu. So we have smoked bacon wrapped scallops. We have caprize salad balsamic vinaigrette, and we have Polish sausages on split roll with spicy mustard. And we have the choice of blueberry pie or Miller Lite or both.
Speaker 3: Alamode, who has it better than we do?
Speaker 4: No body?
Speaker 2: Alrighty, we'll get to your phone calls coming up. We'll go to Churchill Downs. Rebecca low is on site there for the running of the Roses the Kentucky Derby. You got Rockets Warriors Game six tonight, Clippers and the Nuggets. On Saturday. The Knicks move on, they get the Boston Celtics. The Clippers tie up their series with the Nuggets and Game six. Game seven will be Saturday in Los Angeles. Eight seven seven three DP show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle a DP show.
Speaker 3: Good morning.
Speaker 2: If you're watching on Peacock, our streaming partner and our radio affiliates around the country, It's time to let True Green take care of your lawn. Affordable satisfaction guaranteed. Go to truegreen dot com today. Let the pros do all the work while you relax and enjoy the results. Exclusions apply and see truegreen dot com for details. He's David Cone. He won five World Championships. He works for the Yes Network and also ESPN Sunday Night Baseball analyst. And I've been watching baseball and reading about baseball, and I forgot about Aaron Judge. And I looked at the numbers. His April is mind blowing and like it's Barry Bonzian. And I said to Fritzie, I said, see if David conell join us, just to put this in perspective, and Cony joins us down, you get to see this on a Hailey basis here What exactly did Aaron Judge do in the month of April.
Speaker 4: Well, Dan, thanks for having me on again. Always a pleasure. I got my time zones mixed up Central East Coast, you know, ten o'clock, eleven o'clock, but you know the Dyton We'll leave that where it is. But you know, watching Aaron Judge since the day he showed up, I was in the booth with Joe Tory actually and Paul O'Neill. On his major league debut, he had a massive home run off the center field restaurant, the black glass up in the Yankee Stadium. We couldn't believe what we're seeing. And then over the years we said, well, yeah, tremendous power. Strikes out a little too much. He struck out about forty percent of the time on average when he first broke in. Now it's in half. He's cut that in half. He's only striking out twenty percent of the time now and his batting average is over four hundred. The power is still there. He's such a smart hitter, Dan, he's chasing less than ever. You can't get him to chase those breaking balls out of the zone anymore. He's hitting for a high average. It's just it seems to me that the only way you can talk about Aaron Judges talk about how smart he is as a hitter. He anticipates a flow better than ever. He knows how you're gonna pitch him, and he's on you. He knows you, he reads you, and he's getting better and better and better every year to where now he's only striking out, as I said, about twenty percent of the time. Major League baseball average is about twenty two percent. He's below average striking out now and still hitting four hundred and fifty foot home runs, but.
Speaker 3: He has a bigger strike zone.
Speaker 2: I think eight years ago everybody talked about is that swing going to hold up?
Speaker 3: You know, big guy, long swing. But it has held up.
Speaker 2: But you, as a former cy Young winner and you win five World Series titles, I want you to You're gonna face Aaron Judge right now. So first inning he comes to the plate, how do you start Aaron Judge.
Speaker 4: Well, he does swing at enough first pitch fastballs to where that kind of scares me a little bit. You know, even though he's very selective. Now he gets a ton of walks he doesn't chase, but he's still ready aggressively for that first pitch fastball. So Dan, I'm still I'm trying to get ahead of him. I'm trying to sort of get ahead with a breaking ball because a lot of times he'll spot you that. So if you can drop a curve ball in there for the first Drinke, then you've got count leverage. And now maybe I'll try to bust him up and in out of the zone. But everything I'm throwing him is around the edges and up in the zone. I still think, you know, you try to get him up and in. Any great hitter, if it was Barry Bonds, if it was bay Rufe for that matter, I've got to test them up and end to see if they'll chase, to see if they can hit a fastball right on the upper right quadrant, upper inside corner. And then once I find that out, then I'm back to trying to throw breaking balls. But that's where he's been so impressive. He does not chase. The fish aren't biting Baron Judge this year is just his chase rate is top five. He just does not does not chase breaking balls out of the zone.
Speaker 3: All right, you're gonna face Sho Tani.
Speaker 4: What are you doing the same thing? You know, I've got to try to get ahead somehow because he's very aggressive from the first pitch on. And I were to give any advice to any slugger out there, I would say, be ready on the first pitch. If you're gonna spot me a strike, then I'm gonna take it. I'm gonna get a lot of the plate if I think that you're gonna, you know, not swing. That's how I face Mike Piazza in the two thousand World Series. I knew he would take a first pitch strike, so I threw an eighty five mile an hour fastball right down the middle, and he took it first strike. And I still can't believe it. And then I went to work. I started throwing sliders, started throwing fastballs in got them to pop up. So that that's kind of the strategy, trying to get ahead with something off speed, eventually test them up and end throughout the course of the bat, and then see if you could still try to get them to chase. And they're two hitters that don't chase all that often.
Speaker 2: But you look at these guys who are and I would think that first pitch, you're you're not trying to throw something away, it's gonna be around the plate. That if I'm a hitter, I'm just I'm gonna sit on something. I'm gonna guess that you're gonna throw me a fastball and it's gonna be around the plate. That would be my mindset coming to play. I don't know how many hitters have that first pitch mindset.
Speaker 4: That's a great point. I think more and more we're seeing it. You know the thing about analytics in today's game, You know, every account is analyzed nowadays. You have reams and dreams of information nowadays that players get inun dated with, and sometimes that might take away from the natural order of things in terms of their aggressiveness. It makes you a little more information you get, the less aggressive you become, generally speaking. But with that being said, the great hitters can really zero in on a location and if they get it, they're going to jump on it. And that's what we call cheating and the first pitch of in that bat. If you're cheating on a fastball, you can start your swing a little bit sooner, and if you get fooled or whatever, you still have two more strikes to work with. So that's the pitch that gives count leverage. That's the pitch of the pitcher wants to get ahead of, and that's the pitch of that the hitter wants to do damage on because it might be the best pitch he sees throughout the whole bat.
Speaker 2: If you could start your franchise with Otani or Judge, what would you take.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, you know, I mean, I guess the projection is how much pitching can you get from Otani? Well, you know with the injuries what he has left. I mean, if you're going back a couple of years, and obviously Otani with the pitching side of his game, it just puts him above everybody else. But there is no doubt that in the batter's box with a bat in his hands, there's nobody like Aaron Judge. He is clearly the best hitter, better than Juan Soto because of his power numbers better than anybody in the game right now. Aaron Judge, offensively speaking, is the best hitter. And it's not really even an argument.
Speaker 2: You did well against Bonds. I remember he didn't even bat two hundred. I don't think against you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I caught early Barry bombs, you know, in this Pittsburgh years, you know, in the Mets day, so you know, early Barry Bonds is a different cat then later San Francisco Giants Berry bombs.
Speaker 2: But you couldn't make him like he had a strike zone about the size of a bread box, you know, a mailbox, and he was not swinging on anything that wasn't in that little area. It felt like, how tough was that too? You know, if you miss, it's gone.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, you know. And the thing about Bonds was is that he kind of choked up on the bat. You know, you think he looked like Phil Rizzuto up there, the way he choked up on the bed at times. Right, You ever seen Phil Risuto and how much he choked up on a baseball bat. That kind of Bonds was that way. And what that made him so dangerous at was fastballs in. He was so quick. If you tried to pitch him in and you did not get it in there, that's the ones he lost. You know, those were gone. Those were hit hard. They were either a line driver or a home run. So you had to be really careful when you tried to pitch Bonds inside because anything, anything that that didn't get in off the plate, he was going to have a good swing out.
Speaker 2: What is that like when you throw a pitch and it's almost like an old bleep that that you know you threw a pitch and it's a bad pitch. The question is what are they going to do with it?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Almost out of my hand, you know, It's like hitting a golf ball. Fat. You know. I mean you played golf and you know you got a wedge in your hand from one hundred and twenty yards and you're going to stick this close and you just you lay the sod over it. You know, that's how it feels out of a pitcher's hand. It's just you're late with your arm. You get around it, it gets a loose spin on it, and you feel it immediately off your fingertips and you're going, uh oh, almost almost halfway to home plate. You kind of have already prosessed the fact that that's fat. That's hung Watch out, do.
Speaker 3: You have one? You remember where they weren't very kind to the baseball.
Speaker 4: Yes, I remember in the playoffs with the Yankees. We were playing the Cleveland Indians. Bases loaded. Jim tow me up at the plate and I hung one of those pitches, one of those sliders I was trying to throw a back door, was trying to sneak it over the outside corner. It came out of my hand fat, As I said, It kind of just spun in there and it just laid out over the plate and he hit it in the upper deck at the old Yankee Stadium. The sound off his bat. I still hear my sleep at night sometimes. I mean, it was so loud the way Jim only, the way Jim Tomy could hit it. And it was a grand slam, and you know, we ended up winning that game. It was the clincher in the playoffs. And I think it was ninety eight. I believe we were playing the Indians in the in the playoffs and we ended up winning that series and luckily we scored enough runs. But that brought him back, that that grand slam from Tommy. Tommy brought him back. And I still remember it like it was yesterday.
Speaker 2: And it's and there's certain sounds. You know, Baseball's about sounds, and you could tell when something's off the bat. You can tell when you're at the plate and you can hear that fastball coming by how it hits the mit. But you know, Maddis told me it sounds like two cars crashing when he gave up a home run.
Speaker 3: He just said and he said, look, I'd rather you hit it.
Speaker 2: Four hundred and fifty feet instead of you know, to ninety eight down the left field line.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, it's Have you ever been in a restaurant with a waiter drops a bunch of dishes in the back and that sound and the dishes breaking that that's what sounds like to me. You know, that sounds off of Jim Tomy's bad. I mean, if you you know, the kids said, if you want to see something, you know, a mountain of a man swing the bat and listen to you know that Jim Tomy's the guy to go to YouTube and watch his havevats.
Speaker 3: Can Aaron Judge hit four hundred?
Speaker 4: I would say probably not.
Speaker 2: Okay, you know he's not going to beat out a lot of infield hit I mean you've got to get some of those like little you know, five hoppers that you can beat out.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Absolutely. And also there is the random variance, the luck factor, right, I mean analytics if the one thing I love about analytics, modern day analytics, is it kind of shows you you can look under the hood, as they say, and say what's kind of lucky and what's going to regress to the mean a little bit? And certainly batting average on balls in play, those ground balls that are always finding holes, you know, tend to turn around. They start to find gloves after a while. So that's the fortune part of it. The batting average on balls in play is unbelievably high for Aaron Judge right now. And you gotta figure that's gonna some of those hard ground balls that start to start to go at shortstops and second ba baseman, and he's not gonna he's not gonna have that high of an average on especially on the balls on the ground.
Speaker 2: Where are we with torpedo bats? I thought they were ruining baseball and I haven't heard much about torpedo bats.
Speaker 3: What happened?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that was just you know, if you there'll be case studies on how do you know, how do you create a viral moment?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 4: How does something go viral in today's today's day and age. That was just a perfect storm. Michael Kay set it up perfectly. The Yankees had a bunch of home runs on that day when he talked about for the first time the torpedo bat, when actuality, the torpedo bat had been out for several years and other players and other teams actually were using it on that day, and everybody thought, oh no, it was a Yankee thing, Oh the Yankees are cheating. And it was just a perfect viral moment where everybody thought this was this is brand new technology. What is this? We got to ban this, you know, this is too good? And boom, there goes Jazz Chishom hitting the home run. Boom, there goes Anthony Volpi hitting a home run. And it just created this moment where everybody just jumped on the bandwagon and thought, this is new, this is this is there's something funny going on here when reality actually it was nothing could be further from the truth. It's like getting fitted for golf clubs. You know, it's like a game improvement club, so to speak. You know, the torpedo bet that gets the mass where you hit the ball most often and not supposed to help you a little bit, but it's certainly within the rules. There's nothing to illegal about it.
Speaker 3: What's the highest percentage you got for Hall of Fame votes?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 4: Gee, I was one and done. You know, I think you had to get five percent. I was a little under five percent. I think it was four percent each something in that range, you know, And you know the dynamics of the Hall of Fame vote, there's only ten ten players you can vote on. In that particular year, there was a lot of good players on the list, so I just could I couldn't quite get enough to stay on the ballot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you would.
Speaker 2: You didn't win two hundred games, which probably you know, we like round numbers. But you were on five World Series champions. You want to say, young, that pretty good resume.
Speaker 4: I have no complaints, you know. I mean another reason, you know why I like modern analytics is because war the War ran. Whether you use fan graphs, you know what these websites that sort of calculate the war rankings. It's Baseball Reference B War or f War, fangrafts War. They're they're both a little different in terms of pitching. Ones based on era, ones based on fit field or independent pitching. So it gets a little technical. But you know, I'm around sixty war, you know, on both of those categories, and that's kind of the the entry point to being considered for the Hall of Fame. But I still kind of think I'm a classic borderline guy. And when I look at my generation, I can really kind of count on five on one hand, the who the guys were, you know, I mean, let me think Trandy Johnson, Greg Maddox, Smoltz, you know, Pedro Martinez, even Roger Clemens, you know, all the controversy aside.
Speaker 3: I mean, ibnut to knowing.
Speaker 4: Chilling absolutely is above me in my mind. Absolutely, you know, put the politics aside, or whether you like them or not, or morality or whatever. I mean, I'm not sure if I want all the sports writers, the guys that I hung out with in the hotel bars all those years, those guys to beat the boil judge you know, of anybody, I tell you the truth, but Kurt shown is a Hall of famer.
Speaker 2: I always thought that Pedro Martinez was underrated.
Speaker 4: Absolutely. I think if you talk to a lot of hitters who faced him, they would say, he's the toughest cal Ricken Junior. Ask cal Ricken Junior, who the toughest pitcher he ever faced? And that's cal He played every day, he didn't miss anybody. Yeah, Pedro, Pedro's the answer, you know. So that tells you kind of what you need to know about who you didn't want to face, your least likely picture that you wanted to face. And a lot of guys would say Pedro.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I always viewed him as kind of a right handed Sandy Kofax. He just put up incredible, incredible numbers there, great to talk to you tell Michael Kay, we said he alone and thanks for joining us.
Speaker 4: It's my pleasure Dan anytime.
Speaker 3: That's David Kohne.
Speaker 2: I think he had but one and ninety two wins something like that and was on five World Series Champions and a cy Young winner and Can City I believe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Paulin, he was.
Speaker 7: One ninety four and one, twenty six and seventeen seasons. Okay, isn't that like the Frank Gore of his sport? Like you compiled it? He won twenty games at age twenty five. He won twenty games at age thirty six.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he didn't. He didn't win another like Frank Gore. Is what top five and rushing? Yeah, you know Coney didn't. He didn't if he had two like Tommy John to me as a Hall of Famer, he had two hundred and eighty eight, that would be like a Frank Gore. He had sustainability for a long period of time. And you know Don Sutton got into the Hall of Fame. I think he was a compiler. Yeah, paulinon Cone was also eight and three as a postseason answer. Yeah, I like bonus, Yeah, I like that.
Speaker 3: All right, get phone calls coming.
Speaker 2: Up and let me see anything else that needs to be mentioned. Go to tailgate or uh Danpatrick dot com and you'll click on the spirits tab Tailgate, Moonshine, new Batch and something really exciting attached to that. Go to Danpatrick dot com. Stat of the Day is always brought to you by Canini America. We'll take a break. We'll go to Churchill Downs. Rebecca Low will join us. We'll not only talk about the Kentucky Derby, but also Rexham and their success this year. We'll ask her the question, would you rather have a Triple Crown racehorse or be one of the owners of Wrexham. She's a Crystal Palace goal, so I don't know if she wants to be involved in Wrexham.
Speaker 1: We'll take a break. We're back after this. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 8: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Cavino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: We will hear from Rebecca Low She's covering the Kentucky Derby for NBC. She'll join us momentarily Michael and Wisconsin. Mike, what's on your mind today.
Speaker 9: Today?
Speaker 10: Dan, thanks for calling me six foot two twenty. I got some Kentucky Derby sports names for you if you're ready. Sure, all right, So first we have today trexplayer. We have Gordon Haywood, Maverick Carter, Jackie.
Speaker 3: Peterson, jack Peterson okay.
Speaker 10: And lastly we're gonna finish it out with full full instead of okay.
Speaker 3: All right, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 9: Rushed.
Speaker 2: I know, but Fritzie went back to try to help connect with Rebecca Low and he is. He's going to be a little surprised, a little disappointed. He didn't think of Kentucky Derby horses.
Speaker 11: I not thing we've ever done Kentucky Derby horse names.
Speaker 2: Now I can tell him to whip up a badge here and he'll come up with fifteen, probably before the end of the show.
Speaker 3: Yes, trot Nixon Okay, oh yeah, yeah, I got ye.
Speaker 2: All right, So we'll see if Fritzy can bring us some Kentucky Derby horses named.
Speaker 3: Uh name Nate Newton.
Speaker 2: No, it would be nay nay, nay nay Newton, the basketball player.
Speaker 3: Yes, no, no, you've just nay nay Yeah. Yeah. Let me see who else steaming?
Speaker 2: And I know, well he doesn't he's trying to connect with Rebecca Low. You know, you don't think he wants to come out into this furnace.
Speaker 12: I mean, well, I don't know what which is worse, Todd being out here and not doing the horse names or actually him actually trying to help.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that do something computer really Yeah, because we have.
Speaker 2: Mario and Anthony back there, their jobs are to try to connect.
Speaker 11: You don't be anyone who hears an engineer either.
Speaker 2: So yeah, there's Todd coming out. Todd's got his Nick's outfit on today. Is Rebecca set to join?
Speaker 4: Not just yet? Churchill downing?
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, you got another one? Marvin? Did you have Kentucky Derby horses names?
Speaker 4: I'm not clever as Todd.
Speaker 3: Okay, Todd, do you have any more?
Speaker 4: I'm thinking I need a couple of minutes, Yes.
Speaker 7: Paul, an easy one.
Speaker 3: Colt McCoy okay, simple, yeah, do that.
Speaker 2: They see see the audience will be great. They'll come up with this. Todd, can you whip up a batch of ten or so?
Speaker 3: I'm going to work on that, okay. Matt in North Carolina? Hi, Matt, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 9: First time? Long time? Six five and a half or twenty three. Hey, DP, shows say it with me. We listen and we don't judge. So Hey, I'm wondering what you got one hundred? John Halliburton's versus Milwaukee's mascot Bengo the Buck.
Speaker 2: Who you got? How you taking me? Thank you, Matt. I'm going to take John Halliburton. He looks like he means business. He's not allowed to go to any of the Pacers games. Homer on the road. He agreed not to go after they told him that you're not allowed to go. I like al, there's a mutual mutual decision. There really is. Zach and Knoxville. Hi, Zach, what's on your mind?
Speaker 13: Hey DP, I got Josh and Caleb downs since we're going with the Okay Churchill downs reference, and I just wanted to step in and.
Speaker 6: Stick up for Fritzy a little bit.
Speaker 13: Y'all are ragging on him for wearing next gear, and y'all are just going to look past what Dylan's wearing. Dress like a thrist store mannequin.
Speaker 3: I don't appreciate it.
Speaker 13: But my question is, and maybe you guys will have more insight on this, how does college game day manage the signs that will be behind them because I'm really looking forward to the North Carolina game day.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, Oh my goodness, Zach, it is going. Okay, this is what happens. There are game day sign police. They have people who are looking to see what you're bringing in. Now, we had people when I did Occupy game Day and had you guys bring in signs that just related to the show, like a message that could be to Fritzi or Shyan Irving, whatever it might be. But we did Occupy game Day and you guys were really good at sneaking in signs, and you would sneak in a sign and then you'd peel off the sign and then it would be a message to our audience. I think if game day North Carolina with Belichick and his girlfriend.
Speaker 12: Not encouraging anyone to know, No, it's an organic ressroots movement dan on its own.
Speaker 3: Yes, of course.
Speaker 2: Now you've got people choosing sides and coming out and defending her, and then you got Belichick's son's wife who was criticizing her like, this is a mess. This is not what you you know when you say any publicity is good publicity, This isn't publicity for Bill or North Carolina.
Speaker 7: Yeahpoone, I've got the UNC football schedule and the game That makes sense because they don't have a bunch of monster home games. They've got Clemson at home this year October fourth, if there's a light weekend through the chance.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But game Day doesn't need to have a big matchup. They just this is the event is North Carolina? Not who they're playing? Yeah, because I tune in, it's just like what campus are they on and how will they show out?
Speaker 3: Not who is Oregon playing?
Speaker 2: You know, normally they're going to a big matchup, but in this case with North Carolina, I think it's just we're gonna go. Isn't that the first place you should be going this year? I don't know if Game Day has put out their schedule where they're going.
Speaker 3: Yeahpoe.
Speaker 7: With coach Coursover retiring, a lot of people think they'll open at Florida State no matter what.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's Alma mater, Yes, Okay, I'd be fine with that. Dennis in Venice, I Dennis in Venice.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Oh so I have a question if you're the GM or the owner the four major sports, so you could be the GM owner, you can have Otani and Judge on the team, Mahomes or Miles Garrett on the team, Anthony Edwards or Luca on the team, or Ovechkin and Con McDavid on the team on the same team. Who you want to be the owner.
Speaker 3: Of GM OF I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'd probably look at Otani and Judge. But thank you for the phone call. Dennis from Venice and Dan and Vancouver. Dennis and Venice and Dan and Van Dan Man.
Speaker 3: Come on, Hi, Dan, morning, Dan.
Speaker 14: You and I are the same age, and I've never been angry enough to call. But Marvin Marvin is small, hands down correct on the v Wonder call. Any way that you measure it, Stevie Wonder comes out on top. You talked about the amount of instruments that Prince plays. The only thing that Stevie Wonder didn't play on most of his albums was guitar. Yeah, you talked about Prince being a hit maker. He had five number one hits. Stevie Wonder had ten twenty five Grammy's compared to seven.
Speaker 3: Don't think it's even close.
Speaker 2: Hey, I appreciate the passion and it's just personal preference. Songs in the Kia life is a wonderful double album, and if you don't know what a double album is, google it. But I didn't get see Stevie wonder I got see Prince, and just saying Prince Prince was pretty spectacular. Stevie was amazing because you know he's blind and you're going, how is he doing this? But Prince could play every instrument. All I know is when Dave Grohl was asked about, you know, great guitar play, and he said, Prince.
Speaker 3: Look at Prince in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: When he gets up there and you got all those great guitar players, all of a sudden, Prince goes up, I'm going to take over from here, and you got George Harrison, you got Tom Petty up there, and Prince goes I got this.
Speaker 11: One, and they're all kind of like, uh, you could say at a certain point, there's like a lot of looks.
Speaker 3: Around and eye rolls. He goes.
Speaker 12: Yeah he is shreddy, and they're like, okay, see this isn't what we do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, how would you feel if you're those musicians? It's the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and all of a sudden, Prince decides to go solo.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I've watched that clip twenty times, Tom Petty and everyone there. I think they probably loved it because Prince doesn't do stuff like that, and they knew that even though they're the side show and Prince was a star. In that five minute stretch, a moment was made and sometimes you have to give it up. They Maybe I'm completely wrong, but I think they're okay.
Speaker 2: I think they got healthy egos and they're like, uh, look we're not going solo. Yeah, it was impressive. I just wonder what they thought, as if you know, a fan just watching him, like, damn, look at Prince go. Meanwhile, I'm Tom Petty, you know, George Harrison gave us wow. My guitar gently weeps.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 3: He's clapped in up there too. Maybe yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 11: It's like Steve Wynnwood, these dudes, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't I don't know if they would have been thrilled that all of a sudden, Prince goes you know, why don't you guys sit down.
Speaker 3: I'll take it from here.
Speaker 11: He's shredding.
Speaker 3: Yes, he is absolutely hey.
Speaker 2: When he played at the Super Bowl, when he plays Purple Rain and it's raining.
Speaker 3: Damn. That was awesome. It was. It was one of those where you go, yep, that's happening right there.
Speaker 11: You know, there's an interesting story too.
Speaker 12: I don't know if it was like Jimmy jam or somebody, but they would talk about like the like brilliance of prints. Yeah, and they would talk about like he knew what you could do and you didn't even know it yet.
Speaker 3: He would be like no, no, no, you sing this.
Speaker 12: Note or whatever. They'd be like, that's out of my ranger. Be like no, no, no, you could do it.
Speaker 11: You just go do it.
Speaker 12: And he would put all these people together and doing things that he hadn't you know, things that they weren't aware they could even do.
Speaker 11: Yet, and then it would all work out.
Speaker 2: Fritzi was having a really good day until David Cohne got his time screwed up. And now we can't connect with Rebecca Low. So what was going to be a great Friday for Fritzie is all of a sudden turning into a nightmare. Let's take a break, Let's see if we can get one more shot at trying to connect with Rebecca Low. And if you're watching on Peacock, we're going out for the Champion's luncheon that will be served by Dylan.
Speaker 3: We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio wapp.
Speaker 2: Alrighty, last call for phone calls? What we learn what's in store for Monday on the program. She is Rebecca Low NBC Sports Premier League host and hosting the Kentucky Derby.
Speaker 3: It All unfolds tomorrow.
Speaker 2: NBC Sports will be at Churchill Downs Saturday to thirty Eastern and NBC and Peacack. She also hosts the Premier League live from the very same location, with coverage beginning at to eastern. Right here on Peacock All look, who is part of the scenery. It's Rebecca Boy. Describe the pageantry surrounding us.
Speaker 15: Oh, Dan, so lovely to talk to you.
Speaker 5: It's a lot of pink because it's Ladies Day in honor of remember in breast cancer. Hribat to them. So we've got a lot of pink. Got a lot of pink. Hat what very tall hat seems to be a theme. I'm not a big hat person, Dan, I don't know if you are, but I love a fascinator. But the hats around here are point incredible.
Speaker 3: There's a horse walking right behind you by the way.
Speaker 15: You Then it happens in It does happen a lot. I mean the patast.
Speaker 2: There are a lot of horses down there, church Hill down all right. Set the scene for tomorrow.
Speaker 15: Okay.
Speaker 5: So, as you said, I'm doing a bit of double duty. So we've got the Premier League in the morning. I'll be here in the morning. We've got three mats windows finishing with Arsenal taking on Bournemouth, and then we come off there on NBC at around two thirty Eastern, I think, and I row pretty much directly to Mike Turco, who then opens the show for the coverage on NBC, they'll have been on all day pretty much though on USA Network and People. He'll then open the show on NBC the Big Open at two thirteen Eastern and I run. I make a run in some direction, not quite sure which direction is yet to meet up with Dylan Dryer. We do our first hit and then I have a bunch of hits throughout the day, culminating in the winner's circle with the interview with the winning owner, so I can't wait for that. That is always a great, great moment. I get the best seat in the house down to watch the race. I'm like in the pagoda at the winners, in the winner's circle. So it's an absolute true.
Speaker 2: I told this audience those two minutes, there's nothing else that compares to those two minutes when those the horses are, you know, in the gate, and all of a sudden boom, they're off, And how would you describe that feeling?
Speaker 5: I think the only way I can describe it is having seen for the first time I've ever seen the one hundred meters rates the men's one hundred meters I saw in Paris in twenty twenty four, which is only what nine seconds, so it's much shorter in that way, But you're also it's the same build up. You're all waiting, building up to this tiny fraction of time in which so much can happen.
Speaker 15: So it feels a little bit like that.
Speaker 5: And then the ending is so interesting, damn, because when the favorite winds, the whole place are up. And then the last couple of times I've been here when it's not the favorite, or we had Rich strike at eighty to one. A few years ago, it was like you could hear a pin drop. Everybody was furious. So the end is really interesting as well, depending on who wins, and then it's just seeing the happiness on people's faces that owners the connections.
Speaker 15: It's just one big party. Amazing.
Speaker 3: What kind of celebrities are going to be there.
Speaker 15: So I've heard that Aaron Rodgers is coming. I think.
Speaker 5: Lamark Jackson, I think the Baltimore Ravens. Yes he does actually, yes, okay, excellent, Simone Biles. I'm going to be interviewing Simone Biles tomorrows. I'm so excited about that. Chaboozie. We've got Jack Harlow, the singer who's a big Premier League ban so excited to talk to him about Premier League before we actually do the interview.
Speaker 15: So we've got the good number of good faces coming down.
Speaker 3: Taylor Swift, she's showing up, you.
Speaker 15: Know what, I don't think.
Speaker 5: So this year there were rumors that Travis Pelsey was coming. I was going to interview him. That's going to have been interesting, but no, I think he's going to the Formula One this weekend. So there's a lot of good things going on. But this is the place to be down Patrick, you know it. I cannot believe you're not here.
Speaker 2: Okay, if I'm going to ask you this, if you could have a triple Crown winner, you could be an owner of a triple Crown winner or why wow, or one of the owners of Wrexham.
Speaker 5: Oh gosh, I have to go Rexam. I have to go Rexham down because they are going to the Premier League and that from where they've come to where they're going is just the fairy tale. I used to cover Wrexham when they were in the fiftier of English football. It's called the Conference. The National League's fully professional by the way, that's how much we love our football and England five years of professional football.
Speaker 15: I used to go there.
Speaker 5: I used to cover the games and that was around for the two thousand and eight kind of time, two thousand and two thousand and nine. So to see them now and in my opinion, they'll be in the Premier League within three years for us, that will be an amazing story and I can't wait for it because everybody in Wrexham, just a small town in North Wales, everybody in Rexham loves what's happening and I would love to be a part of that, So it got any shares so to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I you know, I don't think that the reaction when you had, you know, two Hollywood celebrities buying your football team. They're coming in and all of a sudden, you know, the locals probably weren't keen on Ryan Reynolds and Rob mcwa.
Speaker 5: Not at the beginning, not at the beginning down because Wrexham, like every English football club, is very steet and tradition, has ways of doing things. English football has ways of doing things and sounds terrible. We don't like outsiders. We don't like outsiders, and as much as we love Americans, sometimes we've had bad experiences in English football with some American owners. So I think there was reticence and there was nervousness that their club because as I've told you we've talked about before Dan football clubs in England are everything to the people in that hound city or even village really and Wrexham is no different. So they weren't convinced when they came in. Took them a little time, but now they've realized they're two people who absolutely have the best interests of this club at heart and are taking them onto great things.
Speaker 15: And now I think they've bought them.
Speaker 2: She's Rebecca Lo NBC Sports Premier League host and hosting at the Kentucky Derby. You know, if I had a horse in the derby, you know what I would name it?
Speaker 15: What?
Speaker 3: What do you think I would name it? Hurricane waker? Oh?
Speaker 15: What we got? No, Dad, we got two thirds of the way from the city.
Speaker 5: This is going very calmly, Dad behaving himself, and then you throw in the only words that you absolutely cannot say on English television.
Speaker 15: I can't believe you've just done that. I can't believe her. I can't believe her.
Speaker 2: I get you every year, every year, every year I get you.
Speaker 15: You don't make me say it.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I would never be But if you were working and all of a sudden you went with the favorites and you went sovereignty whanker sand stop it, stop it.
Speaker 15: Can you imagine because this kind.
Speaker 5: Of the sort of thing I feel like might happen over here, Because you guys think it's just like a joking word. If people have probably heard it on like Ted last night, could you imagine that could actually happen.
Speaker 3: I'm Dad.
Speaker 5: I've had a situ recently where my son wanted to buy a fanny pack and I just gotta tell you, in England we can't be using such buds. You google it, Patrick, I don't want to say it again.
Speaker 3: To the shop, have fun this weekend. Thanks Don great, great, great to see you.
Speaker 2: That's the lovely and talented Rebecca Lo, NBC Sports Premier League host in Kentucky derby host as well.
Speaker 3: Can Dylan come in and?
Speaker 15: Uh?
Speaker 3: We have the pickstick.
Speaker 12: I think in England they call it a bum bag because you can't say fanny.
Speaker 13: I know, I know.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, they don't want you saying fanny. Yeah, you're not allowed to say fan.
Speaker 2: Okay, Dylan, do you want to help this uh segment here with the the pick six so we understand exactly what we're supposed to do with this.
Speaker 16: Yeah, so little explanation. So the pick six you have to pick two or more props for players, but you can only use the player once regardless of the props, so points or rebounds still only ones. And then you go head to head, peer to peer, as they say, with other people with the same sized lineup.
Speaker 3: Well, why don't you pick for us.
Speaker 16: Oh you want to pick? Yeah, all right, I'll give you a pick. I'm gonna go Steph under twenty five and a half points. Okay, So now Steph is off the board for the rest of you guys.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 7: And I had my big pick of Jalen Green for the Rockets over fifteen and a half locket.
Speaker 17: Okay, I've got Jimmy Butler under twenty two and a half points.
Speaker 2: I have Draymond Green over one and a half steals. I'd go Dylan Brooks with the under twelve and a half points.
Speaker 3: Okay, Marvin, I have Steph Curry, Steph Curry over no, no, no, he's off the board the board, just Steph Curry period. Yeah, yes, yeah.
Speaker 11: You can't use the same player twice.
Speaker 4: Oh, Fred van Vliet over fifteen and a half points?
Speaker 3: All right, Well did you do Fred van Vliet? Now was Jalen Green?
Speaker 1: All right? Book it.
Speaker 2: Download the DraftKings Pick SIXX app. Now use code patch so code Patrick. New customers five dollars, get you fifty dollars in Pick six credits, better payouts, bigger wins only with Pick six from DraftKings. The crown is yours have fun Week. How about this day in sports history Paul.
Speaker 7: Nineteen seventy, Diane Crump became the first female jockey to ride in the Kentucky Derby.
Speaker 4: Oh here's one.
Speaker 7: Nineteen eighty eight, Pete Rose of the Reds was suspended thirty games for pushing an umpire. I don't recall that at all.
Speaker 3: He was managing, managing, Yeah, yeah, I think it was managing.
Speaker 7: That got blown away by something else after that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true. Yeah, off, imagine that was the worst thing you ever did.
Speaker 2: Exact Mike Cameron on this date in two thousand and two, four home runs Mariners a big winner over the White Sox and the other. Isaiah Thomas on this day, twenty seventeen, he had fifty three points for the Celtics as they beat the Wizards in overtime.
Speaker 3: Yes, Tod a few quick horse sports names. I know we're getting to what we were.
Speaker 17: Yeah, say hey, kid, Willie Mays, Jy, I'm gonna go with that Italian style in Rocky Balboa Blue War, Admiral David Robinson and Joey gallup.
Speaker 3: Way Joey Galloway. How about Pete Roses.
Speaker 17: Pete Roses, you remember Tim Foley, Little Shortstop, Blu Winfielder, they wait for the expos and Pirates few teams.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, we did it. We made it all the way to Friday. This one dude on social media is on fire. He's got Joe buck Ken, Stabler, Antonio.
Speaker 12: Gates, excelln Clydesdale, Sam steed Stead, It's Sam Snead.
Speaker 3: Okay, I love those What did I learn today on this program?
Speaker 17: Toddler Jalen Brunton was the NBA's clutch Player of the Year, but somehow Detroit let him beat them last night.
Speaker 2: What we learned brought to you by Express Employment Professionals. They provide contract workers to flex up for peak seasons without having to raise your core workforce head Come manage your workforce differently. Visit expresspros dot com. That's expresspros dot com. Tell them we sent you. Have a great weekend, everybody. Thanks for your support, hope we made you laugh or think we're angry or all the above. For Todd Seat and Marv Paula yours truly, We'll talk to you on Monday.