Speaker 1: On today's episode, it's news.
Speaker 2: We're talking Predator comebacks, We're talking Ryan Coogler, Sinners, We're talking about a comic adaptation of Begelopolis, hell Out and more. Hello, what it was? Jason CANTEMSI own Mercy Night, and welcome back to xt ver vision of the podcast When We Dive Deep is your favorite shows, movies, comics of pop culture, comedy from my our podcast We're Wearing You, three episodes a week every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, plus every.
Speaker 1: Vision of the news. The news here, the news and the news. The news.
Speaker 3: We tease them.
Speaker 1: If we teasted them, we teased them.
Speaker 2: Okay, here's the news. First up, new trailer for folks. You thought the ip was going incorrect ray you were wondering what's gonna happen with the Predator series.
Speaker 3: We'll get The Preder series is here and it.
Speaker 2: Is intersecting with its alien centric U Tani lore in more and more interesting ways. The trailer for Predator Badlands is out there now, starring El Fanning. Is some sort of whaland Utani terminator. This looks very exciting.
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm very excited about this.
Speaker 5: In case you don't know the general plot it's basically a predator is sent out for his first hunt and he ends up being on a planet where he is actually the one who is hunted, and it's all these different aliens and creatures and people who come to hunt on the island. It looks like maybe he's gonna team up with el Fanning, who as Me and Carmen we're very excited to see has the whalen U Tani logo in Aha eyes, just like Andy from Alien Romulus. So I think we're definitely getting connections back there to the kind of AVP era predator versus Alien. Wouldn't be surprised if I saw as animorph pop up in the final movie. Also, very interestingly, because there has been talk for a long time about how there was an unmade predator anime series from about ten years ago. We still don't know what the status of that is, but it has been talked about. But I thought it's very interesting that they also announced a predator killer of Killer's animated show. And this is by the same guy who made Prey, who has now basically been given the keys to the Predator ip and it is about predators throughout history, like going up against the most sickest fighters and you know what sounds like a ten year old pitched it and I fucking want to watch that. Shit? Do I want to watch him fight like some Tudor guy jousting. Yeah, I don't know if that's going to be in it, but I would like to see that, you know. I think it's gonna be really fun. Can't wait for this. We're obviously big Alien fans here and Predator as well. Also, if you are a Predator lover, definitely check out the Spider Man predat ecomic that's coming out at the moment from Marvel. It is brutal as hell. It's so gory. It's really wild to see a Spider Man story like that. So yeah, if you're a monst the lover, it's gonna be a good summer for us.
Speaker 2: Up next, a Wonderful Earth Day teaser trailer for the new project Alien Earth. This teaser trailer, voiced by Neil de grasse Tyson, makes it seem as if you were about to watch one of these wonderful kind of like nature documentaries, but no, this is as becomes clear in the final seconds of the teaser. A promo for an upcoming show about an Alien Invasion of Earth, starring a wonderful cast includes Alex Lothor, Timothy Olafan S Davis, Samuel Blinken, Babousis.
Speaker 1: And more and more.
Speaker 2: And this was a very hooky trailer that I'm excited to to watch more.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is also like a Noah Hawley show. So if you're a Legion guy, be excited. You know, I think this is great. I don't think it's a coincidence that we're getting new Predator and new Alien. I think that crossover is probably gonna work. Also, I love that at the end of the PSA it was like go to IGN and I was like, I go there every day.
Speaker 4: I work there. What do you want from me?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 4: Do I need to?
Speaker 5: And it was actually a very cool world guide for ALIENA So definitely check that out.
Speaker 4: Also, this is gonna be interesting because my understanding.
Speaker 5: Is this is the earliest timeline that we're gonna have seen in the whalen Utanni alien space.
Speaker 4: It happens about you know it just.
Speaker 5: In the future and before the iconic Nostromo incident as we will call it.
Speaker 4: So yeah, we're eating good.
Speaker 5: I absolutely love his animorph My dream is to go to the hi our Geygabar in Sweden or in Switzerland if anyone wants to hook me up there.
Speaker 4: But yeah, very fun. Can't wait.
Speaker 3: Let's take a quick break and we'll be read.
Speaker 2: Back and we're back. Sinners blowing up at the box of Wow. Wow, Wow Wow. The film opened over the weekend to a cool forty eight million massive critical acclaim.
Speaker 3: I believe it's at ninety.
Speaker 5: It's actually they think it's hit one hundred million because they had an unbelievable.
Speaker 4: Tuesday and Wednesday.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, word of mouth is really blowing it up.
Speaker 4: Word of mouth is real.
Speaker 5: And also this is very interesting because I've never seen something like this work this way before. So they think it made over eight million dollars on Tuesday, cheap movie Day, which is crazy. And then they think it made another on Wednesday, like eight or nine million, which again on her of and that's full price tickets. But the reason is Ryan Coogler and Warner Brothers came up with this very interesting and clever scheme, which is they if you went to see Sinners from the twenty third of April, so this is to encourage you to go and see it again. And this next weekend, they are giving away film reel from the movie and people can collect it's seventy milimeter film reel. So people are going absolutely wild, and it's been so fun to see people online going, oh my god, I have to see this in Imax.
Speaker 4: I have to see this at the Vista. I have to see it.
Speaker 5: I recently I did yet see it in true imax, because I'm a true Imax lover, but I recently went see it at the Alamo draft House, relatively small screen with a couple of friends, and it was just as incredible.
Speaker 4: I would just say, just keep going.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 4: The big other.
Speaker 5: News here that me and Jason wanted to talk about is it has come out in some very ridiculous kind of trade news that tried to make it see like a bad thing. That Ryan Cougler, specifically for this film, which is very much about the notion of black ownership and black freedom, he basically said to whoever was gonna get it, like, not only did he want his dollar gross, which he has been getting at from every dollar, not waiting until the movie is done, but also he gets to own it in twenty five years. In twenty five years, the copyright will lapse and it will go back to him. And interestingly, like the only other person who's done this is Quentin Tarantino and that was also like for his later stage movies.
Speaker 4: So this is a huge moment.
Speaker 5: Variety is trying to act like, oh, this is gonna be bad for studios, but I loved the quote from Michael de lucam Abdy, who work at Warner Brothers as the execs, and they were basically like, if you think this is.
Speaker 4: A bad idea, you're stupid.
Speaker 5: Like Ryan Kugler is a genius, and we love that we gave him this deal.
Speaker 4: We love we gave him this movie, and it seems like it's paying off.
Speaker 5: Also, ninety eight percent on Rotten Toma and an A Cinema School, which is the first time any horror movie has had an A Cinema score. So the word of mouth and legs on this is going to be long, long, long.
Speaker 2: So the reason that you know this is being looked at with alarm in some industry circles is that you know, the whole game in entertainment is to build a library, yes exam to have whether it's your Paramounts, your Netflix, your Apple TV plus whatever, create shows and movies that will live on their platform that will be part of the reason that people sign up, and that a deal like this Coogler's Neil potentially, you know, throws a wrench in that works. I'll just say that, like, I kind of obviously there's the whole ethical and moral issue about like creator owning the stuff that they own. But I also feel like, what's again, so Tarantino has this, he's not and Tarantino's not the first.
Speaker 3: There's been others, just rare.
Speaker 2: There's been a it's a small handful of people. But I'm like, honestly confused why some are so like up in arms and saying this could destroy the industry when this has been done before.
Speaker 5: It's because one, it's because Ryan Coogler is a black director. That's like, let's be real. And also I think that the other aspect of it is like there's never been a more obsessed with IP time in cinema and in the industry, and this idea of having a catalog and needing a catalog so you can have a streaming service, so you can sell your catalog in the future to Amazon like MGM, did you know? But the funny thing is as well, We're living in an era where sometimes execs are just trash in a movie and not even letting it be released.
Speaker 4: So you're already.
Speaker 5: Impacting your in your your catalog with choices like that. So I think it's all kind of overblown. And I think that now it's hit one hundred mil. The budget was around ninety mil, and then you add your market, it probably goes up to like one hundred and fifty mil, as my guess, and it's already made one hundred mil just domestically. I think it's gonna be fine. Also, I'm very interested to see and we'll talk about this at some point next week, because we keep it a lot of eyes on, like how much does the weekly drop off?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 5: And we know with Marvel recently we've been having these huge sixty seven percent drop offs, Like the word of mouth is not there. They think that this weekend Sinners is gonna make forty million dollars and.
Speaker 4: It opened to forty eight million dollars.
Speaker 5: If that is the case, it is gonna be one of the lowest, if not the lowest weekend drops of all time. So everything you're doing here, Warner Brothers, you're killing it. Ryan Coogler, You're doing such a great job of getting people back in the cinemas. I've been seeing people complaining about sold out screenings all over the country and how it's hard to get a ticket to see it in that new format.
Speaker 4: So I just I think it's good for cinema.
Speaker 5: I think it's gonna end up being seen as a great deal, an important deal. And also Ryan Coogler said he just wanted it for this movie. He said, he's not gonna ask you that deal again, you know. And Joelle had said she thinks Warner Brothers might be priming him to be that kind of new Nolan.
Speaker 4: Now Nolan is.
Speaker 5: At University, I would love to see them keep investing in him because it's kind of hard to put into words how different and unique that movie really is.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, like, listen, here's he's got a billion dollar movie under his belt, and now he's got Sinners, which is continuing to rocket in terms of box office, and let's face it, like this is dollars business and he's bringing it in. So yes, I agree. I hope they continue this and it makes sense for them. Up next in Shocking.
Speaker 5: Wilds Wild Shoes, Blowing my fucking bye.
Speaker 2: Jacob Phillips, the son of Sean Phillips of hell Blazer and Wildcats and Criminal, you know, like same and Criminal, one of the you know, one of the lights of a certain generation of UK comics creators.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Indie and also like if you watch, like if you read an image book, this is man that you know and care about. He's done a great job actually, like kind of honing Jacob. Jacob has colored some of his comics. Then Jacob went into writing and somehow he got this gig.
Speaker 2: His son, Jacob is finishing up work on a adaptation of Francis Ford Coppola's Insane three Hour.
Speaker 3: Disaster.
Speaker 2: Magnum Magnum Doopah's megalois it, and it's almost done and it will be released soon and it is He's just announced it to the world.
Speaker 1: And this is truly one of those things where I'm like.
Speaker 4: Wait, what my mind. Also, this is like so funny because it's so comicsy because he's.
Speaker 5: The guy who he's adapting it with, Chris Ryle is like an old DW guy who was in charge of a DW. So it just feels very like in in the weeds, in kind of inside baseball.
Speaker 4: I also won.
Speaker 5: Jacob is like an unreal yet like everything he draws is fucking amazing, And I love the idea that Jacob said he never saw the movie, he never saw any footage, and he's been working on this since twenty twenty two.
Speaker 4: He only read scripts and reviewed concepts.
Speaker 5: Are is this going to become like an eyes in the winning fantastic graphic novel? Is this the format that Megalopolis was always supposed to be in?
Speaker 4: This is just.
Speaker 5: Blowing my mind and I will be reading that one hundred and forty eight page graphic novels no question.
Speaker 3: In absolutely insane.
Speaker 2: Up next, Paedro Pascal gives us more reason to love him.
Speaker 4: Oh I love him.
Speaker 1: See he It was.
Speaker 2: Photographed wearing a Protect Doll shirt at the premiere of the Thunderbolts movie, and then was quoted as.
Speaker 3: Asked for comment about JK.
Speaker 2: Rowling's ongoing activism to strip trans women in the UK of their rights and safety protections, to which Pedro Pascal replied that JK is a heinous said it was cainus loser behavior.
Speaker 4: I love that so much, Pedro, We love you. Also.
Speaker 5: Carmen wrote a great little context here because I did get a few different people saying, hey, what does that mean? Protect the dolls? Like everyone's really excited about it. So Carmen wrote, our super producer wrote a great little bit here, which is it's important to note that the term doll is used to describe high femme passing trans women originating in the Borham community, who are the primary targets of anti trans hate and violence. The statement intends to highlight the most at risk and disenfranchised of the Lodge trans community. And here's the thing, you all want to protect the doll shirt now, I know I've had the dms. Well, Carmen found out where they really are from, not the bootlegs, not the tea publics, not the AI versions. If you purchase it from the retailer connor Ibes, your purchase then supports the trans Lifeline project. And you can obviously just donate directly to charity, or how about you just send some money to a doll in your life, because tough times are tough. And I think Pedro is amazing, and I love that he's just on Twitter like replying to people that yeah, heinus fucking loose the behavior and that shit is a headline, and he's proud of it.
Speaker 2: And finally, George R. Martin, after it's written here that it's been thirteen years since his last book. I think it's actually been fifteen. I want to I want to change that. Whoever wrote you know what.
Speaker 5: That's why he's he keeps saying thirteen, but he's playing it down.
Speaker 2: It's been fifteen years by my count. Harvard Left released a book in his Song of Ion Fire series. The book titled The Dance of Dragons, released in twenty ten. I want to say a summer of twenty ten, and in a recent Time magazine interview, George said that he is indeed quote still working on oh and then and then continued that the book is quote that's the curse of my life. Here, he continues, there's no doubt Winds of Winter is thirteen. Again, it's fifteen years late. I'm still working on it. I've apperiods where I make progress and others and others when things divert my attention end quote. The curse of my life is crazy.
Speaker 3: Let me I should just say, George, hire writers room, man bro you can do it together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it goes right on the edit and get get Get three goal strikes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can do it.
Speaker 5: Bro also as well, I will say super producer Aboo as always fact checking us. So Jason, you and you and Georgia basically right in the middle. It was actually published in July twenty eleven, so it's fourteen years.
Speaker 4: He's playing it like it's thirteen.
Speaker 2: And all feeling your feeling us steal like suck get it, comments like Andy Wall could have taught Hm a thing or two.
Speaker 5: Get writers from Guess Studio, pay those people a lot of money and make this book come. Honestly, I love this is the kind of catty, hilarious shit that I love when creatives say. It's like, it's like you're a multimillionaire. You've got mad franchises, you even got like Dark Wind. You're producing one of the best TV shows right now, even though Game of Thrones is not on your House of the Dragon, and all of it is because of your writing.
Speaker 3: But now, when's the winter is the curse of his life?
Speaker 5: And you know what, just.
Speaker 2: Hire just hire some folks to hire people.
Speaker 4: Hire some people.
Speaker 5: But I love it because it's also very relatable because that's how I feel any time I won the deadline for a book.
Speaker 4: I'm like, wait, why did I.
Speaker 3: Accept this deadline for fourteen years?
Speaker 4: He's been on deadline for fourteen years.
Speaker 5: The one thing that always cracks me up, that we always say is like, what's the only thing worse than your project not getting picked up?
Speaker 4: It's your project getting picked up. And I think that is That's what Georgia L. Martin is living through right now. He's like, I just cannot going.
Speaker 1: To curse the curse of my life.
Speaker 3: Oh my God, take it. Please smoke a joint, my guy.
Speaker 2: On the next week's episodes of X Ray Vision, we're diving into a lot of stuff. That's it for news, folks, Thanks for listening. Revision is hosted by Jason Sepcion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 5: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kurtman.
Speaker 3: Our supervising producer is Abu Zafar.
Speaker 5: Our producers are Common Laurent, Dean Jonathan and Bay wag.
Speaker 2: Our theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 5: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman, and Heidi Our Discord moderator,