Speaker 1: It's Brook and Jeffrey and this is the Second Date Update podcast. Thanks so much for being here. And today one of our listeners got caught in the car with another woman. But it is definitely not what you think. No, we didn't really raise jealousy in you. Yes, yeah, yeah, so you're gonna hear that in just a second. We got a brand new one.
Speaker 2: But first we love to highlight you.
Speaker 1: What's on the comments. Yes, Jewels of all trades said, thank you for continuing to give me reasons to want to stay single. El oh yeah, what's he here?
Speaker 2: Today's Oh yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh man, Yeah, okay, we're just going to get into it. Brand new episode starts right now, Brook and Jeffrey in the morning.
Speaker 2: Second Date Updates.
Speaker 3: We have another listener who believes they already know the reason why they're not getting a call back.
Speaker 1: I love this. I feel like it's people doing the.
Speaker 2: Work for us.
Speaker 3: Yes, you know, make us work less. Yeah, we appreciate that. And similar to a previous call we did recently, a parent was involved.
Speaker 1: What is going on? What is everyone bringing their moms and dads to date?
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know all the details. That's all I got from the email. I don't know which parent it was, what happened, how much tongue was used. Let's make sure we get all the deats from our listener, Ricky, Ricky, welcome to the show.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Can we just start with your parents or their parents?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 5: I yess.
Speaker 4: They should start at the beginning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, before we get into all the hot parent talk. And I definitely do want to get there, well, said Jeff, Let's start with the girl that you met. What's her name and how did you meet her?
Speaker 4: Her name is Annette. I met her on a date and say, this is a new one my friend recommended to me. Okay, very up and coming. It's it's called it can Do Better. It's weird, but I liked it.
Speaker 1: It's can do better, can do better.
Speaker 6: Okay, I don't think I belong on that side.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wait for worse is the other? After?
Speaker 3: I go all right, what makes this app different?
Speaker 4: Well, you up to had a picture of yourself, which is pretty standard. But what you do is you also draw a picture of the person you're looking for. So you draw it, Yeah, you draw it.
Speaker 1: Do you have to be wait, do you have to be a good artist? Or are you just looking at stick figures. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's lots of different types. You know, there's good ones, there's bad ones. I'd say mine was pretty in the middle.
Speaker 1: I want to see people's drawings.
Speaker 3: So you drew a picture of your ideal match, and that turned out to be in that it sounds like, and.
Speaker 6: It finds the person like in the system. That's Is that how it works?
Speaker 4: I'm not sure if that's how it works. But she reached out to me and she said that she kind of looks like the picture, and she did a little bit.
Speaker 1: Can I ask what was in the drawing?
Speaker 4: You know, it was green eyes and brown hair, and she had green eyes and brown hair.
Speaker 1: Actually, wow, that's rare.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I never see that. So you internet, I guess went out on a date. What did you do?
Speaker 4: Yes, So this is embarrassing to say, but this is where we get to the parent talk.
Speaker 3: Okay, how did the parents come into play?
Speaker 4: You know, we decided to meet at a westront and oh, I was hoping that she was going to be waiting for me inside, but she was waiting outside and she saw me get dropped off by my mom's where the mom?
Speaker 3: Okay, she was just your chaperone, Your mom didn't stick around, did she No?
Speaker 4: No, but it would have been a thing that I could tried to play off. But fortunately she also yelled out after I got the cause, good luck, sweetie.
Speaker 1: Mom. Why did your mom drive you? Yeah, because that's what matters.
Speaker 4: Look, I've just had a bit of a situation. I don't want to get too into it. But it's just temporary. It's not permanent.
Speaker 1: And you know, why do I feel suspended driver's license for some reason?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: This is like temporary for the last ten years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which we all can relate to those things. By the way, don't feel ashamed.
Speaker 1: If my mom could dropped off I take the ride. Yeah, she's just too busy. Were you able to make a joke about it, because that's a great way to recover.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, we were laughing, and she said she didn't have a problem with it. But the date only last said about an hour. And this is also a little bit weird. But I'm not really used to go out to west onst. All that much, so maybe I don't know. I was very excited and she thought that was weird.
Speaker 1: But can I ask, how did you express being excited at the restaurant?
Speaker 4: I don't know, I was just a little over enthusiastic. I guess just then they bring out to you. I just kept complimenting the service and everything. Now know I wasn't playing it cool enough.
Speaker 7: There, like, Wow, they washed their dishes for you.
Speaker 6: But you know, genuine positive energy can be charming, you know, like you were.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 1: You know, you should have seen me in sixth grade the first time we ever were able to get delivery pizzas. Oh boy, Oh it was like being a dizzyland Wow.
Speaker 2: We all greeted the guy at the door. This is not helping, I streamed. I couldn't believe that they were gonna bring it to.
Speaker 6: Us, No way.
Speaker 2: I don't know what happens when you grew up.
Speaker 3: In a little town, you know, but you're not necessarily painting the best image right here for Ricky.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's innocent and loving.
Speaker 2: You're a quiet, awkward night.
Speaker 3: It's actually as well said, did you feel like there was a connection happening between you and Annette while you were eating together?
Speaker 4: I mean, I felt one, but I don't know if it was super cold, so I mean, I think it might have just been maybe me being weird about the restaurant or my mom dropped me off, But I just want to know why she's not calling me back.
Speaker 6: And it's interesting. Mom's like, bye, honey, have fun.
Speaker 3: He's like, I am so excited to be here.
Speaker 6: It doesn't seem like she got dropped for a playdate.
Speaker 1: Wait was she there when your mom picked you up?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, how did it end?
Speaker 4: Yeah? My mom was just shopping at Target nearby and picked me up.
Speaker 1: But didn't NET witness that part too.
Speaker 2: Probably here's the problem.
Speaker 1: It sounds like the middle of the day actually wasn't that bad. But how you start and end of date is probably the most important piece.
Speaker 6: Last impression.
Speaker 3: You don't want to book nd it with mom talk.
Speaker 2: I like you play it off good.
Speaker 6: But I don't know.
Speaker 1: Kirsty by saying good luck, she should have said break a leg, sweetie.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I remember.
Speaker 3: So when you said you think you know the reason? Why? Is it because the whole situation with your mom?
Speaker 4: Yeah, she said she was okay with it, but I don't know if she really was.
Speaker 1: Have you heard from her at all?
Speaker 4: Uh? No? If you can get a hold of her, that would be the first.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, Well let's find out when we call Annette for you and see if your mom is the person who actually blocked you from finding true love when we do happening way too often. Right now, we'll do it with your second date update right after this.
Speaker 1: Brook and Jeffrey in the morning second date updates.
Speaker 3: There is nothing like a mother's love.
Speaker 6: Well, that's true.
Speaker 3: When she helps you take your first steps, reads you doctor Seuss books at night, yeah, and drops you off for your date in her Honda Odyssey while shouting good luck, honey, mommy loves you.
Speaker 1: I think it was actually sweetie, Oh yeah.
Speaker 6: You said that. I almost asked where her car was, but I was like, I don't want to.
Speaker 3: That was what I pictured in my mind, because that's what actually happened to our listener, Ricky. His mom dropped him off and picked him up from his dinner date with Annett.
Speaker 1: Dude, if she hadn't have yelled, he could have pretended it was his Uber driver.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, for sure next time, if mom's if you're dropping your kids off.
Speaker 2: Be the Uber driver or just stay two blocks away.
Speaker 6: And walk there.
Speaker 3: You can go to your Uber drivers. Don't shout good luck, sweetie when you walk into the places you're going.
Speaker 6: That's a five star review.
Speaker 1: I really should stop selecting the silent mode.
Speaker 3: You really should. But yes, that is the reason Ricky is worried that a Nette saw it, and it could be the reason she's ghosting, right Ricky.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, okay, I mean, okay, if we get you another shot, how are you getting to the next date?
Speaker 4: I just need to understand what I did and then I.
Speaker 1: Can know the correct answer is ride share.
Speaker 3: That's the correct and Brooke might even be willing to pay for Yeah, we could cover that. We just have to get a yes from a net first, So let's dial her number. Hopefully she picks up and we can get some answers. Here we go, Hello, Hi, is this a net? Yeah, hey Annette, thanks for answering. We're a radio show on the other line here we're called Brook and Jeffrey in the morning.
Speaker 6: Nobody say anything. Okay, sound crazy?
Speaker 3: There really are people.
Speaker 1: I like that idea, though, one of these.
Speaker 6: Times we should.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what's happening is you're part of a segment that we're doing now. It's called the second Date Update.
Speaker 1: Welcome to it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, I know it's probably weird to getting this call, but it's not supposed to be a scary thing. We're just trying to help one of our listeners who went out on a date with you recently, a guy named Ricky.
Speaker 4: Oh seriously, Yeah.
Speaker 3: It was Ricky told us about your hangout and said he had a great time with you. Oh.
Speaker 1: He even told us about the app that you guys met on. That was kind of cool, where you like draw pictures of who you're looking for. That's interesting.
Speaker 5: This is very strange that he's like calling you about this and talking about my life.
Speaker 1: His life too.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, it's a shared life.
Speaker 7: Because well it's not true, but you should have said that he went on a date with you, and so we wanted to know some of the details about how you met and what you did when you went to the restaurant together, because he really liked you and felt a connection and wants to see you again.
Speaker 4: Why would I tell you any of this.
Speaker 1: Because you connection so decency for Ricky, Because Ricky.
Speaker 3: Sorry, but did you say that you didn't feel a connection?
Speaker 5: Correct?
Speaker 3: Is there a reason? Yeah, because we do know a little bit about what happened, but we'd like to hear your side of it.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm curious about what he told you.
Speaker 7: We know that.
Speaker 3: You met up at a restaurant and his ride was his mother.
Speaker 1: Yeah, apparently you saw because you were outside the restaurant.
Speaker 6: And he knows that's not normal.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was a little weird.
Speaker 1: Okay, but that, oh that is not weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we thought that would be the main reason. In fact, he thought that.
Speaker 1: Oh there's something else that was emphatic.
Speaker 3: Would you mind sharing what else?
Speaker 4: Okay, there was a lot of clapping.
Speaker 5: Clapping, He doesn't go out that much, she said.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, he did mention he who was maybe too excited about the restaurant because he doesn't go to him very often.
Speaker 3: When was he clapping?
Speaker 4: Oh for everything, like every course that came.
Speaker 1: That's kind of cute though, Like he's excited, and I mean it's got to make the wait staff feel good, like my water be result.
Speaker 5: This is a grown man on a date, y'all.
Speaker 4: Like it wasn't the thing.
Speaker 5: He wasn't a grown man on a date?
Speaker 4: Did he tell you this part?
Speaker 5: He chooses to live his life as a kid.
Speaker 1: Wait, what what do you mean by that? Exactly what I said.
Speaker 5: That's what he told me in the restaurant. Like he has a full time, regular job, but he lives with his parents, and he's kind of like in denial about actually growing up what because he just wants to like shut things out and live as a kid because it's more simple.
Speaker 1: So he was clapping because he was acting like a child.
Speaker 3: On purpose, I believe.
Speaker 1: So. Did he order from the children's menu?
Speaker 5: No, but he got like a burger and fries so he could have you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Like, so that's one thing to be like immature and enjoy those things, but.
Speaker 6: To actively maybe he acts like a kid, is different. I don't know where the line is he is.
Speaker 1: I mean maybe he was talking about like childlike wonder like he wants to keep that, but.
Speaker 5: Like his mom dropped him off, like she does his laundry, Like I don't That's not what I'm looking for in a partner like yo.
Speaker 4: He got out of the car.
Speaker 5: I sincerely believe he was wearing a pajama top.
Speaker 1: He definitely didn't act like a child when we talked to him, and he didn't mention any of this.
Speaker 5: Or didn't mention any of this.
Speaker 3: Well, he did tell us that he was excited. We just didn't know there was you know, happy clapping every time food came to the table.
Speaker 1: It sounded like we were talking to an adult man on the phone when we talked to him.
Speaker 5: Well, that's what I thought going into it.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you don't believe us, you can definitely hear it straight from Ricky because he's on the other line right now listening to this call like doggies clapping and waiting to speak to you.
Speaker 4: Are you serious?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Ricky there.
Speaker 4: Hi. I didn't think this was such a problem for you. I thought that you like the fact that I'm happy and I try to keep a childlike but you said sense of wonder and excitement about things.
Speaker 5: But I just there's a difference between like a boyish energy and a being in denial about being a grown up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know, I'm a glown up. I have a job. You said that, I'm an accountant.
Speaker 1: You're an accountant. You're a child accountant.
Speaker 3: But wait, you told her Ricky, like I choose to live my life like a child. She said, those were your words.
Speaker 1: Maybe she misunderstood what you were saying, Like, maybe re explain it so she gets it.
Speaker 4: Look, I understand I'm fully glown I'm not in denial about that. It's just that being an adult sucks. Everybody hates it. And yeah, I have the opportunity to just not pay when not pay mortgage And.
Speaker 1: That makes it sound more like you're free loaded your parents. No, what are you.
Speaker 5: Working for then?
Speaker 4: Like I save money for things that I like, you know, like big lego sets or.
Speaker 2: Legos speak to adults too. Yes, that's probably not the best.
Speaker 1: Example of what you spend your money on right now, but it's not impressive.
Speaker 6: To be like, this is a thousand dollars set.
Speaker 5: Still now if you don't have a real house to put it in.
Speaker 3: But financial planning is financial planning, and that's an adult skill set.
Speaker 1: True.
Speaker 4: I told you that this is just temporary and that one day I will get my own place and I'll be able to afford it, because this whole time, I've been choosing to live like a child. And it's because people are so stressed out, people are so upset, and I'm a happy person and I choose to be that's good.
Speaker 3: I have a hard time arguing with the log Yeah.
Speaker 2: You're right, buddy, Ricky, you could be happy and still be a man.
Speaker 1: You need to prove to her that you're a man to get another chance.
Speaker 3: Brookie's happy. Why are you trying to take away happy children? Come on, it's not your kids, Brooks.
Speaker 4: Look, just because society tells you you need to live a certain way doesn't mean you have to. Since I has been wrong about a lot of things, Hey.
Speaker 6: Society has been wrong about a lot of things.
Speaker 1: He's wrong. Did you just drop your ar because you're talking like a child.
Speaker 3: I've kind of been hearing that the whole call, have you.
Speaker 6: Yes, he's been doing it the whole time. You haven't noticed?
Speaker 5: No, I mean I've been wondering, not too like, are you doing that on purpose?
Speaker 4: I mean, I can talk normally if you prefer this.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, my god, Ricky, are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: You're talking like a child?
Speaker 6: That was?
Speaker 2: Do you tell people your name is Wicky?
Speaker 3: God?
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm not cartoonish about it. It's just I like speaking that way. It just makes people expect less of me.
Speaker 1: And I hate it when women do baby talk too.
Speaker 6: I just that's my line.
Speaker 1: I was with you, Ricky until that baby talk.
Speaker 3: It's child talk. It's one step above. And you're just jealous because Ricky is the happiest boy in this whole universe. And we would like to set you up a net with the happiest boy. If you're willing to go out with him one more time, we would pay for that date.
Speaker 5: Absolutely not the uber ride, No mom, anywhere in sight.
Speaker 1: Yeah they have Ubertine, No, they do love that.
Speaker 3: Maybe a coloring book in the back seat.
Speaker 4: Yeah, at this point that would feel predatory.
Speaker 5: I'm not.
Speaker 1: Ricky.
Speaker 4: I don't know what's wrong with you. I'm a man.
Speaker 3: Okay, Ricky, it's going to be a no from a net today. I'm so sorry.
Speaker 4: Bud back to the data apps.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's gonna have a good dance Brook and Jeffrey in the morning. God, I just hope Ricky's mom was not listening to that call, because he is definitely going to be put on time out for raising his voice and speaking like a grown man.
Speaker 6: He was so hard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you struggled the most out of anybody in the room, for sure.
Speaker 1: I didn't want to say they mean, but also like, let's not do this. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: Listen, the good news about Ricky is he makes the rest of the male population look way more datable in comparison.
Speaker 1: Well, that's true, and it makes even you look manly, jeff all of us.
Speaker 3: All the men listening totally appreciate Ricky. So ladies, if you're ever getting frustrated with the options available on the apps, just remember you could end up with a man who colors his menu with crayons at Apple.
Speaker 6: Because follow me on my video game stream at Hilarious.
Speaker 3: Yes a true man. Yeah, there we go, And you can also follow along with our show wherever you get your podcasts on Apple Spotify, just look up brook In Jeffrey and hit that subscribe button.