Speaker 1: Welcome to pod Meets Twirl, a podcast that one's chronicled.
Speaker 2: Two guys who had never seen Dancing with the Stars but.
Speaker 1: Watched a season and walked away experts. From there, we mentioned into Traders, a show I'd never.
Speaker 2: Seen, but one Will swore he could win.
Speaker 1: And now we turn to Survivor season fifty, the big one.
Speaker 2: This time the roles are reversed. Will has seen exactly one season, the very first. Meanwhile, I've watched for years.
Speaker 1: We are Wilfred l who prefers his wilderness with room service, and Right or Strong, who will hike any mountain but hates the beach. Two best friends, one devoted to the comforts of civilization, one who would never leave the woods if he could. Both reality competition scholars join us as we dive into alliances, blind sides, fire making, sand related misery, and twenty five years of television history culminating in a single massive season.
Speaker 2: This is is Podmates Twirled seeking immunity.
Speaker 3: I Will all right, So.
Speaker 1: We uh we got to see Emily Longeretta published a Survivor article which we kind of already had some of this bat behind.
Speaker 3: The scenes, we had some tea, but not much yeah, no, but we.
Speaker 2: Had her on our show.
Speaker 1: It was sort of like a preview of this article. But it's a really great article covering I mean, I'll just it's everything everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The funnest part is that there actually was a lion that ran through a season of Survivor chasing an antelope in the in their in their camp one one night. That's an amazing story, and they had to lie and not tell CBS about that in order.
Speaker 2: To keep the show going because they knew that they would cancel it.
Speaker 4: So if you're one of the survivors and you have to take out the antelope first, you want to eat that or what?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean I would look at it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the whole eating the animals thing. Man, it's like it's it's it's yeah, that's so old.
Speaker 4: That was a thing, right, I remember because that one of the seasons I watched. Are the only season I watched, or maybe I watched part of the next one because it.
Speaker 3: Was they killed a pig.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then I remember the guy put the blood on his face and then fell into the fire like the next episode.
Speaker 1: I mean, mostly what they've done now is they give up. They give away chickens, right, and they never show what.
Speaker 3: Happens to You never see the chicken again, do you know.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean I think a lot of times they keep them for eggs, so they're actually very yeah, their eggs, but they never resolve, like you never see them.
Speaker 2: Like having to chop off a chicken's neck.
Speaker 1: Which I mean I kind of feel like is a missed opportunity honestly, like that's part of the whole survivor experience. It seems like you think, you know, I don't know unless you're Rizzo, who is just clearly not eating because he is so skinny right now.
Speaker 4: Well there is so there have been a lot of articles that have come out that I guess they're doing a lot of these exit interviews, and in all of them they were saying that he's been very sick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because he's not eating, dude.
Speaker 1: You know, well, it's crazy because someone I saw on Instagram put his photo from his first season, from season forty nine, which is when he started right because you know, he had like four days off, he went right into this and he I mean, he.
Speaker 2: Looks like a different human being.
Speaker 1: But he has lost so much with I know, and I was he was already a skinny dude to begin with, and I was watching, I'm like, now it's starting to make me.
Speaker 2: Uncomfortable, obnestly, like I feel sorry for him.
Speaker 4: I'm like, but you know, I guess that was one of the reasons where again you wonder, you wonder why the producers decide to put what on the air and what they don't put on the air, because apparently that was one of the main reasons why they cooked so much rice that one episode where we're like, why you start with six cups of rice?
Speaker 3: You're gonna eat?
Speaker 2: He's literally starving to do exactly.
Speaker 4: He was sick and so and they said that that might have been the way that he started to look might have been one of the reasons why they upped the are they brought the auction auction up faster and all that kind of stuff. On another note, I want to start the Survivor diet because frankly, I'd fit in anything, and so I was like, just throw me on that yourself. That's yike, starving yourself with prizes.
Speaker 1: No, it is interesting, right, like, because you see and it's not It hasn't actually been that long. I mean, we're talking about twenty some days and yet you can Yeah, because they're just not eating.
Speaker 4: They talk about on this episode how he like wasted some of his chicken where it's like how do you wait?
Speaker 3: What? What you know?
Speaker 4: How are you not devouring everything now and putting put in front of you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he got like the healthiest thing at the auction.
Speaker 3: And didn't finish it. Did like, no, I'm good, I'm good. Thanks? Like what what.
Speaker 2: Chrits did not make Tiff happy? She was Yeah, kind of understand. I get that, all right, So let's get into the episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is you know, another sad one watching my two favorite players down one one after they.
Speaker 3: And again, all I was thinking was it's about time.
Speaker 4: It's it's because because just from a game plan point of view, love them both and both could easily have won and should have. But as the other players, it's like, what why are they still there? So yeah, two of my favorite players to watch were gone.
Speaker 1: I I totally and I know that you because you've been saying from the get go, like why are they not pointing out that Sarria's running the game, is winning the game?
Speaker 2: Yes, and they finally did, they finally did.
Speaker 1: Like this episode, it was like everybody acknowledges like, well, shit, we have to take her out.
Speaker 2: We all like her.
Speaker 1: But I still I'm sitting there screaming at the screen. Why are Joe and Jonathan just skating by?
Speaker 2: Yeah? There, no one is talking about that.
Speaker 1: And both of them are very good at challenges, Yeah they have, just like they're playing this old school alpha male leadership position and.
Speaker 2: They're getting away with it.
Speaker 1: I don't like nobody is questioning, and like Jonathan is literally taking credit for everybody's moves because he's thinking that he's in charge of it, and he is.
Speaker 2: He's actually he's decided.
Speaker 1: He like basically tells everybody how to vote, yeah, based on whoever.
Speaker 2: Whispers in his ear.
Speaker 1: And it's like King Jonathan, maybe we should go through exactly everybody has to call to him and Joe and kneel down and say we think it should be so and so, and then they decide and then they say, you know what, you're right, scratch my beard like Marlon Brando and Apocalypse Now and say yeah, I think it's time to get rid of Serre. And then they do, and I'm like, they also are killing it at challenging. I know, im ends up winning Tiff has been great, Tiff is incredible, but her only hope is like I don't understand. Like, so for me, I was like, oh, they're finally turning on surree, which Will has been saying, But now I've been I feel like I've been saying since Coach got voted out, why are people just letting Jonathan and Joe wellness game?
Speaker 4: So Aubrey started talking about something that again, this is why I would Another of the eight ja billion reasons why I would suck at this game is because I'm not thinking like this where she's at one.
Speaker 3: Point talking about like who should we vote off?
Speaker 4: Who shouldn't Everyone's talking about Rizzo and she's like, no, I want Rizzo with me at the end because no one wants to give that guy two million dollars. You got to be thinking about also, who's sitting next to you. Do you think there's something with that with with John and Joe as well, where they're like, fine, bring them to the end because no one, after the way they've been manipulated or what they're doing or they're lying, no one's going to give them the money. So hey, I don't want to vote them out because if it's Aubrey, Joe and Jonathan sitting there at the end.
Speaker 3: Most Aubrey's gonna win, you know.
Speaker 4: I also wonder if there's just something weirdly crocodile brained about lost on deserted island need big man near.
Speaker 2: I think, so, you know, that's what's happening.
Speaker 1: I just I think there's just this sense of like security around them, and like you know, they're always.
Speaker 2: Like topless and taking care of things.
Speaker 1: And I feel like it probably is just like, Okay, we got to keep those guys around primal.
Speaker 2: But yeah, but they are.
Speaker 1: But that's a problem because they could win the challenges, like they're really good at them, and it's like, dude, actually, I would say Jonathan surprisingly is not as well. No, he won last week. So yeah, I don't know, man, I am yeah, I I'm surprised that they're not thinking like that. So you're right, I would be surprised if it is somewhat kind of primal and tribal.
Speaker 2: You know, it's just you want you go for security and you feel secure with these two guys. Yeah, leading the pack.
Speaker 3: Yeah again.
Speaker 4: George Washington used to go to the congressional delegations in his full military uniform every time before he was made general, and at the time he was like six foot four in a land of people that were five ft three, right, so everyone looked around like, well, that's got.
Speaker 3: To be the leader.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's in charge.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it just comes down to that.
Speaker 2: I heard a director once I forget who it was.
Speaker 1: It was in response to the idea that you know how you always see pictures of directors on movie sets and they're always wearing hats.
Speaker 2: They're always and I heard.
Speaker 1: A director say like, oh no, I always have to have a hat. And it's like he's like something, it's a different hat every movie and every job. But I need a hat because I'm the captain and I want everybody to know that the captain's wearing the.
Speaker 2: Hat, okay, you know.
Speaker 1: And I don't know if that I honestly don't know if that meant baseball hat or like he would find a specialty hat.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but it was an interesting thing. He's like, you you want to stand out for the rest of the crew. You're like, you're the guy on the hat, so everyone you're.
Speaker 4: The giant guy with long hair and a bushy beard on a deserted island with huge muscles, like I'm gonna I want that guy on my team, right, Like I just want that guy on my team. So yeah, no, I agree with you. I think there's something prim I also don't understand. I Again, one of the things I like to talk to about everybody that I wish i'd ask Christian more questions because I keep thinking.
Speaker 2: Like, damn it, I wish I had I had the exact same thought. Dude, it was too quick of an awer, it was.
Speaker 4: And one of the things I want to ask is how do you spend most of your day? Because if you're sitting around for say four hours, why aren't those four hours spent trying to find a night right? Because Devon's does it, and everyone's like maybe we should go with them where it's like, how are you not just scouring, like if you're doing nothing else, I know, spend the whole day looking at every tree?
Speaker 1: I yeah, And I'm not sure why they haven't been looking the second because like they've had idols out every time that somebody's you know, yes, it's weird to me, man, I I'm the same way. And also its just like everyone's so scared that Devon's is gonna find an idol, So they're like following.
Speaker 2: I'm like, also, just let them find it, Like, yeah, that big of a deal.
Speaker 3: But is he the idol worshiper or does he actually just look.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: It's like but I mean he's he goes out and he actively seeks them, so it's like he's the idle word. No, he's he's actually getting up and looking for them where you're not.
Speaker 2: So I don't understand why they're not. I don't get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I would. That's the way I would be. The second I'd arrived on that island. I would be spending all my time that I wasn't gathering firewood or whatever.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: But I guess they're all just so much. They're just gossiping and socialisms.
Speaker 3: I guess.
Speaker 4: But it just seems to me the things you do, or you find an idol, then you tell no one nobody you have an idol, no one, whether they're your best friend, your teammate, your twin, You just you keep it in your pocket.
Speaker 3: And you shut your mouth.
Speaker 4: And it doesn't seem like anybody can do that, so because then everyone wants to flush the idol out.
Speaker 3: It's like, don't tell anyone you have one?
Speaker 2: Yeah, crazy?
Speaker 1: All right, So episode begins, Uh, this is a two two part episode with two did you know that?
Speaker 3: I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: No, we should have able to figure it out doing the math from like when the finale is and whatnot. So yeah, I was like, oh, there's gonna be a Yeah. So right after Ozzie's voted out, Devons is flying solo and uh yeah, I mean, I'm glad they put these episodes together because this if this first tribal had just been an episode unto itself, it was pretty boring. Yeah, because it begins with them saying it's gonna be Devons and yeah, you know that guy we said we're going to vote out.
Speaker 3: We voted yea.
Speaker 2: So it was interesting.
Speaker 1: I was really curious to see how the whole Rizzo Serie Ozzie thing would play out based on you know, and you know, Sirie was pissed at Ozzie like when she found out.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so it's too you know, she didn't want to have you know.
Speaker 1: She she didn't want him to go obviously, and I think it would have been tough for her.
Speaker 2: She would have been in a tough position if she had to vote more.
Speaker 1: Or against him, but as it was, they had been separated, there was no communication that way, but Rizzo.
Speaker 2: Just let Ozzie go.
Speaker 4: I would love to see if anybody else told a SuRie that that Ozzie told the plan, because it never even came into her head when Rizzo got there, that he would.
Speaker 3: He could be making this up because he easily could have gone back.
Speaker 2: I think everybody, that's what I mean.
Speaker 4: I think everybody you know told her like, no, he was walking around saying, you guys are going to the end and that kind of I.
Speaker 1: Mean, it seems like Syria is just on top of everything, like ye knows everything, and that's I think that seems to be her biggest skill set.
Speaker 2: I mean, they talk about her being like manipulative in a good way.
Speaker 1: But it's actually that she's more like she just has her ear to the ground and her instincts are so right on. Like every time she's like you know what, I actually think she's spot on.
Speaker 2: She knows exactly what is happening.
Speaker 1: So to me, it's like her real superpower is just the ability to, you know, keep up with.
Speaker 2: The word on the street. Yes, but what's the word on the beach?
Speaker 3: Ye?
Speaker 1: And then and then read it correctly and read those sort of you know, the signals.
Speaker 4: She understands that knowledge is power and she's usually holding all of it.
Speaker 3: It's crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I thought this was so funny that Jonathan just completely takes credit for voting Ozzie out.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we did it when.
Speaker 1: We like, Aubrey's just letting him do it, yep, Like because you know this is and this is the fun part that you've never seen is like they get to present their case to the jury before you know if they're in the final or whatever. And so a lot of times you'll see somebody like it, like Aubrey in this moment will be able to say Jonathan thought that was all his idea, but it was entirely and if she isn't, and so she could let him take the fall for it, right Like people that are upset about Ozzy getting voted out will turn on Jonathan right now maybe, but then she can say later, yep, that was always and none of you knew it because he just wanted to take the credit.
Speaker 2: So again, keeping your mouth shut a big moves.
Speaker 1: But then keep your mouth shut, don't celebrate, don't ever like get cocky.
Speaker 3: Just I think she could win, Yeah, I think she could win. Yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I think she's letting him be the leader, which is just damn smart.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: All right, Devin's immediately starts hunting for Idle Smart, which also makes Aubrey happy because she's like, great, that's going to put a target on him, which turns out to be exactly the case. And then Devon's has this moment where he starts crying in the hammock with Joe.
Speaker 3: And he's trying to hold it together.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Man, I totally teared up this episode. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well this and then his whole star speech during the tribal that was really a movie and I was like, oh, this is really sweet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny because he is.
Speaker 1: This like he's kind of perceived as this like weasly goofball, but he's incredibly positive. He doesn't hurt anybody's feelings. It seems like, you know, like and he's like smiling two people's faces.
Speaker 2: And be like I had to vote for you, yea more I tried.
Speaker 1: And I think that's a really good way to play like it's he's not Weasley and.
Speaker 4: What if serisay, She's like, yeah, thanks that and two dollars will get me a cup of coffee right right.
Speaker 3: Devon's and he's like, hey, it is what it is.
Speaker 2: I know I got to play.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's too bad he got screwed this year. Yeah, he's a fun player.
Speaker 4: It is interesting as a neophyte coming in seeing how the different style react to the different gameplay.
Speaker 3: It really is, really, it's it's an interesting thing to watch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think you know, the key that you couldn't appreciate those first you know, first half of the season is that you have to fly under the radar, you know, like you do not want your personality up frown because people will just turn on you or you'll just have if you make too big of moves like this is when you make the big moves.
Speaker 2: This is when you're blind sided if you're too big, like Coach was just too big too early, but he just took.
Speaker 1: Over not you know, strategically and socially. That's just nobody wants.
Speaker 3: Is Jenna?
Speaker 4: Is that the name of the first girl that went and Genevieve, No Jenna, not even Genevieve, this very first woman that went that went Jenna, Yeah, who literally walked onto the islands like, hey, everybody, I'm Jeny, we should vote out Bobby.
Speaker 3: And it was like she's gonna go. He just opened your mouth, now you're gone. Yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: People let people run and just become their friend and supporters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then yeah all right.
Speaker 1: So then they get to the challenge, which is this letter stacking that to spell immunity.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: I'd be kicked out of this show so many times because of how it's weird.
Speaker 1: I think, you know, I'm a good speller in real life, but I would never be able to solve for whatever reason we'll talk about in the next one. When inconceivable came up, I was like, I don't know if my brain would do that.
Speaker 2: Like, I did not blame them at all. I was like always like I am a good speller, though.
Speaker 1: But for some reason when it gets into like blocks, I just my brain just I can't.
Speaker 3: I don't know what spell, and so I would just be like, I'm out.
Speaker 1: I always feel smart because they tell us, you know, we always know watching at home. I'm like, I think in real life, if I was out there, my brain would just especially not eating. No, but this is a really interesting challenge. I love this is the classic. This is basically comes back every season now, and I think it's the classic because as you can see, the reversals are so huge, Like I mean, Joe's strategy worked, but there have been seasons past where somebody has gone as slow as he has and still failed.
Speaker 3: And so then I was like on the edge of my seat with this one.
Speaker 2: It's incredible. It's a really incredible child.
Speaker 3: And I just want to try them all.
Speaker 2: I want to try them all. I am so cool.
Speaker 3: I want to try all of these.
Speaker 2: But yeah, this is just have a theme park so much. Yes, the Survivors.
Speaker 1: Survivor Land, Yes, somebody let them go and you just get to try it, Like.
Speaker 4: You try all this stuff, you kill a chicken, yep, you vote out, siree.
Speaker 2: I went to a wedding.
Speaker 1: Once on a on a beach, like it was at a resort, and they did have us play like competitive games on the beach.
Speaker 2: They weren't this big, but like it was super fun.
Speaker 3: You know that's great.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I bet you there's companies out.
Speaker 4: There that we've talked about this. There's got to be like a host your own Survivor party. We might we might have to do that, we might have to see it. I'd be so bad at all I would have to try.
Speaker 1: So joe strategy is slow and steady, and you can see like Rizzo doing the opposite, just like.
Speaker 2: Stack stuck, run stock and he gets close.
Speaker 1: It's like when you hit the like six or seven letters, it's so hard. So Joe's strategy completely works. He gets the option because now they're gonna go get some ribs. Oh I forgot to talk about Jeff's excitement over the food again.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, you're gonna have cool, slow and you're gonna have the SD.
Speaker 3: It's so statistic, it is like because.
Speaker 2: It's like, on one end, yes, that's awesome, but on the other end, he's just like.
Speaker 4: He should constantly have like sauce in his mouth as he's talking to them. It's just like he's just coming from a meal every time he's there.
Speaker 1: If Applebee's anybody just hired him, they just make him the commercial and the commercial was just really there.
Speaker 4: With a plate like I got all the ribs and fixing with the barbecue. So he's so into it just in front of hungry people, a group of hungry people, and he's just eating there.
Speaker 3: God, it's so funny.
Speaker 2: Uh right.
Speaker 1: So then Joe takes Serie and Rizzo, which I was like, dude, no, Tiff, Tiff has been your girl like that, you have like connected ever since you won that.
Speaker 2: So that was a bummer.
Speaker 1: But then he explains his choice, which is like, sir, he's got all the social connections.
Speaker 3: And Rizzo is about to die and also has an idol.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's like, actually Joe's thinking.
Speaker 1: It mineral strategically, not just socially and personally, which is, I guess, the right way to go. But meanwhile, Tiff is clearly upset about her lack of food because she starts really hounding Jonathan for eating their dry rice. Yes, it's like it is kind of like, dude, don't eat the community res.
Speaker 3: Also, I think it's really bad for you. I don't think he's supposed to eat that.
Speaker 2: It's like it will just run through your body.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's good for you.
Speaker 2: There's a reason you have to prepare rice exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So but I just love that Jonathan doesn't care because he's just the good.
Speaker 3: Yeah. What are you gonna do? What are you gonna do?
Speaker 2: Hands?
Speaker 3: What are you gonna do, Tiff, come and grab it. He's hold it up high, Come on, come get it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, crazy, you still don't see I mean, now that Ozzie's gone, you think anybody's even attempting to like fish or is that over?
Speaker 3: Like we don't have the calories to even swim in the water to fish, you wonder.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Susan also pointed.
Speaker 4: Out to me, I just heard her go, oh, she's like, I would differ do the show at the very beginning of this episode, the very beginning of this episode.
Speaker 3: There get back to camp. It's still dark, and.
Speaker 4: They're lying down talking about having to vote out Ozzy. Yeah, and whoever is in the foreground lying down, a giant either crab or spider, something huge climbs right under her.
Speaker 3: Head, right under her head. We watched it three times.
Speaker 2: She did notice.
Speaker 3: She didn't know.
Speaker 4: She's sitting like lying on her back like this, and right between the nape of her neck and the top of her shoulders, this giant thing just crawls under And obviously they've been on the island so long now that they just don't care anymore.
Speaker 3: And it's like we've seriously watched it three times. It was like, oh, God, it's either a spider this big or a crab.
Speaker 2: Just oh, we got to pull the clip from this please.
Speaker 3: Do it so you can see it. It's see it plain as day. It's like, oh god, so yeah, very island d moment. See.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, as long as you don't know, right, I'd be fine. Like if I never thought, yeah, no.
Speaker 3: That's no idea, that huge thing right under the head.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I once I visited my friend was living in India for a year, so I went and.
Speaker 2: Stayed with him for a little while. And you know, he was he was it was living.
Speaker 1: In India, hyderbed in, yeah, and he was renting this this place where we would sleep on the floor, like we just had little mats on the floor, you know, a pit toilet and he tried to keep it as clear clean as possible, but cockroaches were.
Speaker 2: So I get in the first day, I'm like, oh, so this is the spot and this is we're.
Speaker 1: Sleeping, we're doing And within like five minutes would be in there. He I see him go ho ho, and he goes and he grabs two brooms that he keeps and he and plays hockey with a cockroach to get out of.
Speaker 2: The house, and I'm like, what the heck just having these are ye? Yes, oh god, no joke.
Speaker 1: And he's like, uh, at first I tried to kill them, and then they made such a mess every time I killed them, and I had to deal with these cockroach bodies and blood. So it's like, so what I do is I just have to play hockey to get them out. He's like, I filled, I tried to duct tape every hole I can find in this place, but I can't.
Speaker 2: I can't duct tape at all. They're still getting through.
Speaker 1: And so every night we'd be sleeping there and I would just be thinking about, it's got some point they're gonna.
Speaker 2: Crawl over me. I know it's gonna crawl over me.
Speaker 3: They're big enough, they've got like saddles on them and everything. It's like, yeah, I had, Like I was.
Speaker 1: It was the hardest I've ever slept because I just I mean, every day we'd have to chase out these cockroaches at least five times.
Speaker 3: Six times.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you know at night there's five or six of them at some point running over you.
Speaker 3: Oh oh god, yeah no, no, no, thank you, no, thank you.
Speaker 2: But I think I think if I was in the actual wilderness.
Speaker 1: For some reason, it doesn't bother me as much as somebody about being at home.
Speaker 3: Yes, and see there's a safety of where you're supposed to be.
Speaker 1: Yet no, yes, So after her, you know, argument about the food and or bitching about the food or lack thereof, Yeah, Tip proposes a plan to get Rizzo out, which is I think pretty smart, because I think so just this idol and everybody's like letting him skate by, So making a very good point, agreed, And Aubrey makes a point to the camera, which is really smart. And I had another layer of thinking, which is at Rizzo's who you want to be at the end.
Speaker 4: With That's where the whole thing changed for me, because oh my god, of course you got this is why you got to think that far she.
Speaker 2: Puts it, and we're exactly right.
Speaker 1: She's like, if they're looking at they're gonna think, does this kid need two million dollars?
Speaker 2: Yep?
Speaker 3: And do I even like this kid?
Speaker 4: And he's been here for this amount of time and and that's so you got to also think about it's got to come down to a vote. It is such a balance of you got to screw people over but not so bad they won't vote for you at the end.
Speaker 3: They've got to kind of respect that you screwed him over. And it's so weird.
Speaker 1: Why the jury thing is cool though, right because it means that you can't just be a complete sociopath, right because if you're just evil and mean and you just rally the votes and promise things to people and then lie, they will never give it to you. So it really has this element of honor. There is an element of honor to it, or.
Speaker 2: At least honesty.
Speaker 1: Right, you have to be like, here's who I am. Yeah, it's super interesting when the jury thing happens.
Speaker 4: There can also be a selflessness to it, because I remember the press that Colby got the first year because he got to pick who went with him to the finals, and he could if he picked Richard Hatch, everyone was like, you're gonna win or whoever it was is like if you're going to win, and if you pick this lady, you're gonna lose. And he end up picking the lady because they wanted her to get the money. And so it's like there was that moment too of like yeah.
Speaker 2: Crazy crazy.
Speaker 1: And also people sometimes in the past have withheld personal information until they're presented at the jury, and then they'll be like.
Speaker 2: I'm playing for my son, oh you know.
Speaker 1: Which I think was what Christian was thinking about with his kid, like, because he didn't mention it. And I bet if he had gotten the jury, he would have been like, I have a new baby son, and I was playing for him, and I kept that personal as a secret, and I probably would have worked, right, and then really, or am I going to give millions of dollars to the guy who you know really is going to put it towards his kid and his new life.
Speaker 2: Whereas like somebody like Brizzo, there's gonna be a little bit of resentment.
Speaker 4: If you're like you're twenty four, you'll have plenty of time. You got your your following, you get everything you're gonna need.
Speaker 2: You could be back out here in twenty years. Right.
Speaker 4: If I was Christian, I would have just I would sit there in front of the jury and I would have just say give me the money, or I'm going to release my robot army, because you know he's got one, and so I will.
Speaker 2: I will not stick my robots on.
Speaker 3: You, exactly exactly. You will not be killed in the first robot wave.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, the terminators will be programmed, you know your favor exactly, everyone else brilliantly all right, Well, then Tiff tells Jonathan the plan uh well, which then Tiff tell uh and Jonathan tells Siree. There's a moment where they hammock breaks and Surree hysteros.
Speaker 3: So funny, and he's instantly concerned. She's laughing. She's like, I'm fine, but he's like, are you okay? Are you okay?
Speaker 2: And he's like that security point.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: But I also just love her attitude, like scrowl loves hers because like here she sits on a hammock and it breaks, like just the worst, most embarrassing, you know, and she's just immediately laughing, smile on her face.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I wanted her to win or Iy to win, which is why they weren't gonna because everybody saw that too.
Speaker 3: Yeah weird.
Speaker 1: So and Surree of course does not want to turn on Rizzo because that's her only like major alliance left.
Speaker 3: She's actually been very loyal to her allies.
Speaker 4: I mean, she really has been very loyal to She picked allies and she's been manipulating the game, but.
Speaker 3: She didn't really screw anybody over. Yeah, yeah, wow, amazing.
Speaker 1: So the tribal begins with lots of food talk, and they expressed their resentment against Rizzo for not.
Speaker 2: Eating his chicken.
Speaker 1: So Devn's just raises his hand and says he knows it's.
Speaker 2: It's likely him.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: But then he says, like, but this is season fifty and nothing is simple.
Speaker 4: Turns out, that's pretty simple, pretty much what the vote goes. I have never wanted a shot.
Speaker 3: In the dark to work more than I did.
Speaker 5: I know it were too just like man, I hope he pulled the right one. And then up to two million dollars for everybody. Really, he's been a fun player, Yes, he's been. When that emotional speech about the stars, you know, I totally teared up.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh dude, this is great. Yeah, so yeah, have the vote. Devon's plays out in the dark.
Speaker 2: It's not safe. The vote is all on him. Turns out it's a very straightforward episode.
Speaker 1: And then Tiff talks with Jonathan and Aubrey in the morning and points out Rizzo didn't play his idol, he might not play it again.
Speaker 2: We're just letting him scape by.
Speaker 1: But then Aubrey and and Tiff start talking about the whole jury consideration, and everybody you know seems to agree that, like, Rizzo is who you want to take to the dry.
Speaker 4: But think about but also to look at the tale of two episodes, the same move, two completely different outcomes. Ozzy doesn't play is idle. It is the dumbest move in the history of Survivor. Rizzo doesn't play his idle and it's brilliant, and so it's like, it's exactly the same thing.
Speaker 3: But when how can you not play your idol?
Speaker 4: We're all screaming at our TV sets and everyone's like, oh god, Ozzie.
Speaker 3: But when Rizzo does.
Speaker 4: It, now he gets to keep it for another week. It's like, brilliant move, You're guaranteed to be in there now.
Speaker 2: Crazy.
Speaker 1: Actually, I think I misread my notes, So actually, yeah, I think what actually happened because they aren't talking about at this point, Aubrey is talking about how Tiff will win with the jury, and everybody agrees on that point, and Seonathan then tells Rizzo and tells him not to tell Sariy. Yes, as he assumes, turns out correctly that Suri and Tiff for sharing information, but Rizzo, because of his Suri connection, tells Suri and calls himself Rizzo the rat as opposed to the risk God.
Speaker 3: The risk God. If everyone's just giving it, What would you what nickname would you give yourself?
Speaker 2: Righter? Strong?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I don't know. I actually don't.
Speaker 4: Know about Yeah, I'm with you for I don't know.
Speaker 1: Man, I can't talk about myself A third person rider.
Speaker 2: Doesn't do that, right, don't do that? Yeah? And yeah, no, I couldn't. I don't know. I don't know what my play style would be.
Speaker 3: You know, I think you'd be honest.
Speaker 2: I think i'd be Joe. I think I'd probably I'd be mopey.
Speaker 1: I'd be like, might turn my paranoia into like serious emotions.
Speaker 2: I'd be a baby. I'd probably be a baby. Like my goal going.
Speaker 1: In would to not be Joe, because that would be my instinct. My instinct would be like, look, if I look you at the eye and I tell you the truth, I will never light it and I just won't play that way, and I will expect that from you, and that will make everybody's life hell and then they will all be manipulating me or avoiding me for that reason. So I would go in try not to be that and maybe I could, maybe I could pull it off.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I would just be like right, or chill out, chill out.
Speaker 4: I try to just be the funny guy, and it would be great. It would the first two days, and then they'd instantly vote me out. They'd be like, I'm doing so yeah. No, I think it would get on people's nerves after a while, trying to crack jokes when you haven't eaten in twelve days, me going, hey, who's around of town?
Speaker 3: I think they're gonna want to kick me the hell off the.
Speaker 2: Island from.
Speaker 3: She's like, dude, knock, who's there trembling hunger?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I disagree, dude. I think you would be beloved for that very reason. Would be like it's some entertainment around here. No good, Oh my god? All right, so uh into the challenge.
Speaker 1: This is weird one. I don't think I've ever seen this teeter totter tunnel thing that they're doing, which does not look fun.
Speaker 3: No, and it like slams them out too.
Speaker 1: This was violent and just for what, just to like wear them out and freak them out. It really it's not hard, It's not like, no, I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's a weird thing but looks cool. So they got to do that. Then they got to walk or and then they have to pull up discs from a some kind of handle situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, walk across a balance beam carrying puzzle pieces with this handle that they've got, and then do an arch puzzle to spell out a word and they don't know what the word is. And this is where I was like, why all this talk about you know who's gonna be winning when it's Jonathan and Joe are immunity monsters, like challenge monsters. I like these people, And sure enough it kind of comes down to them. Yeah, and then everybody starts helping them. I understand gives up her get Yeah I didn't either, Like she admitted afterwards that.
Speaker 2: It was a mistake.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's really weird that they are just going bowing down to both these guys, That these two guys are helping each other like they're not. It's like, what do you think is gonna happen? Like you're gonna have to turn on one another? I think unless the two of them do they really think because they haven't actually said this do they think they're gonna end up just the two of them, Joe and Jonathan at in the final three with like Rizzo, Is that what they're thinking?
Speaker 2: God?
Speaker 3: Who would get them?
Speaker 4: Can you imagine if it was the three of them together, if that's the finals.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Who they'd vote for, but I don't what would Joe and Jonathan.
Speaker 1: I think Joe would be the more most likable and have the best story in terms of firefighter or you know, honest player, right, not in lying to people. Jonathan has lied to people. But strategically they were followers. They just did what they were told. They were leaders in the sense that they would rally the troops, right, They were not leaders in terms of big moves. They didn't decide, they made the decisions. And so if Aubrey was there with the two of them, she'd be able to point that out and she would win because everybody'd be like, Oh, you actually knew how to play this game, and you got these guys to listen to you and to rally the troops, but the votes, but actually you were the one pulling the strings. And yes, Rizza would have the same argument. He would be able to say look at this. I did this, I went and did that. So I don't know what they're thinking. They really should be turning on each other at the very least, like because you know, all of them could get through just on an immunity challenge for the same reason that Tiff gets through with her winning this challenge, because you know, Tiff could just keep winning individual challenges and making a beast.
Speaker 4: There's only two more challenges this yes if I'm yeah, so yeah, she's she's really good at this game.
Speaker 1: Oh she's amazing. Yeah yeah, so yeah. Even while the challenge is going on, Jeff is like pointing out how weird it is that they're helping and like John and Jonathan so weird. Uh, And Tiff decides to just completely work by herself and totally crushes in Yes, and I just I love Joe.
Speaker 2: At the end, he's like, inconceivable. I got to go back to school.
Speaker 3: That's how. Yes.
Speaker 4: I was the same way when they showed it's misspelled, it was like E and something like what's the problem looks perfect to me. There's two eyes next to each other and starts with an what's the problem. I don't think that means what do you think it means, so, yeah, it's I have the second.
Speaker 2: I would have.
Speaker 1: I mean I knew it because there was a name of the episode, but I honestly probably would have had a hard time.
Speaker 3: Like I.
Speaker 2: Don't I don't blame them.
Speaker 1: But Aubrey admits, you know, she's frustrated with herself for not playing her own game, and I was kind of like, yeah, no crap, like that's yeah, and then Aubrey points out that's Surre will win this game. She goes, yeah, and you know, Rizzo knows that she's his biggest threat with the jury too.
Speaker 2: But he says she's the mafia.
Speaker 1: You say her name and she knows, and sure enough, she's like somewhere someone said that game, which is but she says she knew the second tiff one, which just goes to show how strategic because she was.
Speaker 2: Like, ah, I'm done, Yeah, I'm out, and she knew.
Speaker 3: It's crazy how well she knows these moves.
Speaker 1: And then she makes the move which is the coolest move. She frames Aubrey. She tells a lie, which is genius because it's it's information that she got from Rizzo. She is not betraying Rizzo, so she's keeping Rizzo's trust in some ways, but she's forcing Rizzo to not and he has to because he would have to admit that he was the one. So he's in this weird position. So I thought it was gonna she might be able to pull it off.
Speaker 3: It was brilliant.
Speaker 4: It was brilliant, even he's like, and then it's she's trying to frame him, which is genius. Like yeah, he says, a masterstroke is it's she's so good, so good, ye, And I.
Speaker 1: Really thought it was gonna work, you know. Joe confronts Aubrey and she tells him she doesn't say anything to tip the vote, but it's like they have to, you know. And I'm surprised they don't even bring up Rizzo. Maybe they did, but they don't show it.
Speaker 4: But I also love did you see the second time that she goes and she sits on the hammock Soco's and sits on the hammock again and then looks at looks at Jonathan and goes, ah, okay, good, I didn't need a whole bunch of ribs today. So that's why I didn't fall this time?
Speaker 2: Oh I didn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, So it's like I'm not I'm not a full of ribs.
Speaker 4: That's it was great, still cracking jokes all right.
Speaker 1: At the tribal uh, there's an interesting moment where Jeff was like, are you guys surprised that you're all that you're here? Who's surprised that they? And they all raised their hand? I called bullshit.
Speaker 3: I would call bullshit on that.
Speaker 2: I was like, you could tell they were like some of them were just kind of like, oh, oh, I guess.
Speaker 1: I should yeah, yeah, But I was like, you guys all think you deserve to be here, like how these people are good players. They've worked hard, they've gone, you know, they've stretched themselves in ways that they weren't comfortable. So I called bullshit on that little yep like false modest time.
Speaker 3: I agree, I agree just now.
Speaker 4: But the question is what if you were the one who didn't put your hand up in the exactly, because then you would have called you, oh why and you have to be like because I'm a good player.
Speaker 2: Exactly, but because the jury was watching. Yeah, look but I I.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I agree with you.
Speaker 4: I agree with you under present. I think it was it's like, oh I've got it, I got it. I gotta be humble. I'm surprised him here and it's like, no, you're not. You played well and you're here yep.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then also this interesting moment where Jeff points out that Siri and Aubrey are the two players who have been really like this close to winning before and haven't, which I thought was like, oh, because sure enough the vote tonight is pretty much down to the two of them. Yeah, So it's interesting that, like, they're in that fragile position, but they're also the players who know the most and have gone the farthest.
Speaker 4: So but you're right, though, why what who determines it's down to the two of them?
Speaker 3: Nobody talks Joe, nobody talks Jonathan.
Speaker 4: It's just it's they seem to fixate on two names, and it's like, well, it's down to these two, and it's like, well, and also.
Speaker 1: They all dropped the ball with Rizzo, Yeah, because Tiff had been pointing out now for two tribals, hey, if he doesn't think the votes are going his way, he's not going to use his idol. And then he's got a free ride into the final four, which is happening. Yes, he now has an idol, which he has to play next time so he can't get voted out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he's in the final four.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's It's also one thing we didn't mention earlier because it was really impressive is Jonathan talks about how powerful the last tribal was, not with Devon's but with Ozzy because that one tribal you got rid of Ozzy his idol and series double vote.
Speaker 3: Yep. It was like that was a huge hit to change the game up. So true.
Speaker 4: And so it's like, okay, do we get try to get Rizzo's idol out, which is the he's the only one left, right, the only idol left is Rizzo?
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 4: And there then there's somebody It's like, how do you know there's a golden ticket, there's a wins game for free and you don't spend every waking moment climbing trees finding that thing.
Speaker 1: But I just don't know, like why didn't they at least split the votes in this right? You know, like we gotta go, we gotta go for Rizzo a little bit because he might not you know, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Weird you vote for Rizzo?
Speaker 4: You tell Rizzo we're voting for you, so you better play your idol to get rid of the idol, but then you split it and you also do two for three, and then she's out and you get the same and you put.
Speaker 1: Rizzo in that position because if he although I guess, I guess maybe they all really want him in the end with him, like I guess.
Speaker 4: You think that's it that they think he's so unlikable frankly, that no one maybe not unlikable, but young and idealistic to the point where no one's going to give him the two million.
Speaker 2: I think that maybe. I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Jonathan and Joe have not said as much, but I think they're dumb because if because I think actually the two of them with Rizzo, Rizzo might win like the jury, because because neither one of them played as strategically as he did.
Speaker 4: I agree. I feel like if I was on the jury and it came down to Rizzo, Jonathan or Joe, I think I would vote for riz.
Speaker 2: And everybody because he has he has an argument.
Speaker 1: He's like, look, I'm playing this game.
Speaker 2: I have circles around these two guys. They're you know, they're better challenges.
Speaker 1: Obviously, Yeah, they got you know, they had a lot of like power socially, but they were very transparent. They never did anything like really sophisticated to the degree that he's sophisticated, like he's been a sophisticated player, he survived a lot in this, so he might be, Wow, this is gonna be fun to see how this comes down.
Speaker 4: I think if Aubrey is not Aubrey or Tiff are not on in the finals, I think Rizzo could could take the whole game.
Speaker 1: So we you know, they go to vote, and I just think it's so sweet that Soiree and Aubrey have so much respect for each other even though they're voting against each other.
Speaker 2: I feel like that is like the the cool, classy way to place.
Speaker 4: Yeah, were they on the same the same one before? Like have they played this together before?
Speaker 3: Or no?
Speaker 2: Oh no, same seasons?
Speaker 3: No, same season? Okay they weren't, gotcha.
Speaker 2: I don't think so Okay, no, but they just have them you know.
Speaker 1: I just love seeing them, like even when Currie's voted out, it's like just full.
Speaker 2: Of respect for everybody.
Speaker 3: Ye crazy.
Speaker 2: And then Jeff lets Siri say the tripe has spoken, which I was like, has this never? Has this ever happened? I don't know.
Speaker 3: Trap your smoking, Trap your smoking?
Speaker 2: What an honor. I thought that was really cool.
Speaker 1: It was like I think, in some ways, she's probably like the greatest survivor player.
Speaker 2: You have never won.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's played it five times.
Speaker 3: She's Dan Marino.
Speaker 4: She's the best quarterback out of sorry sports ball metaphor best quarterback ever who never ever actually won.
Speaker 2: So she got the most baskets.
Speaker 3: Yes, he made the most wickets.
Speaker 4: He made the most wickets were garnered that day.
Speaker 3: Cool, but no, never won the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then Syria is gone. Wonderful, wonderful, trap your smoke.
Speaker 4: She was awesome and the right they had to get rid of her because everybody would have voted for her, myself included, like of course she wanted to win.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's great, she's the best. Yeah, I'll miss her.
Speaker 3: I will too. Well, maybe we'll see her next week or will we or will we Well.
Speaker 2: So they don't know that there's a finale.
Speaker 3: They do, I don't think.
Speaker 4: I think the way he set it up was they don't know what how they're going to get to the finale. Like you said, is there going to be a fire challenge? Is there going to be this is there gonna be.
Speaker 2: Live is there?
Speaker 1: The last few seasons they haven't done a live in LA Survivor finale. They've done it right there, So they like that's like been maybe since COVID. I feel like they haven't. They would just like say we're doing the finale with the jury right here, or that we do the they do the voting there and then it used to so what they'll do since we know that there is a finale live in LA next week, and what's going to happen is they do the whole presentation to the jury. They have the finalists present their case, the jury votes, and then they don't reveal those votes until they're back in LA months later, two months later or whatever.
Speaker 3: Okay, I think it's some of the people are saying, it's been almost a year, is that right?
Speaker 2: No, since season fifty.
Speaker 3: That's what I mean.
Speaker 4: I've heard people saying that that They're like, I had to wait for almost a year.
Speaker 2: No, I think it's been. It has been a few months. It's been.
Speaker 3: Okay, you sure Emily was just there?
Speaker 2: I thought she was there in like January. Okay, yeah, we'll find out.
Speaker 1: But yeah, so it is interesting that they playing the game don't know, like they they think they're going to find out about whether they win two million dollars. They could find out within two days from what we're watching. But he's like, we'll find out, you know, the fans will decide, but we.
Speaker 3: Know June twenty twenty five, it's been a year. Oh my god, that's what I thought.
Speaker 4: That's what they're saying is they've had to hold they have had to bite their tongues for a year. They still well, actually, there's nothing to bite their tongue about. They don't know who's won.
Speaker 3: It's been a year.
Speaker 2: They know who didn't win, right, and they're right quiet about.
Speaker 3: That, right, But that's crazy. Wow, Yeah, it's been a year, literally a year.
Speaker 1: So this is this finale is going to be exciting because they're all going to have been home for a year and three of them are going to be sitting there not knowing if they're.
Speaker 3: Yeah, two million dollars richual. Yeah, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: Well, so should we reveal that we are.
Speaker 3: We're going bait to the We're going to the finals.
Speaker 4: I am so excited We're actually going to be there to watch this happen.
Speaker 1: I'm bringing my son, Indy, bringing my wife, and we are gonna seats.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited, dude.
Speaker 1: I can't see them all on stage, and you'll be blown away by like how different people look.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm sure, even just on the jury after three days they look different the jury.
Speaker 2: They just actually they gained their weight back.
Speaker 1: You're like, oh, yeah, you you, and this is you at your normal weight, Like God, sounds.
Speaker 4: Under Rizzo coming in look like Chris Farley exactly. Oh man, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're very excited.
Speaker 4: Yeah at the finale, And thank you Survivor for letting us come.
Speaker 3: That's so cool, so cool.
Speaker 1: So well, Indy actually hasn't been watching the season with me, so he's gonna have to like found all yeah, twelve episodes in the next seven days.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I'm so excited.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, and we will be sure to report back about the finale.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's so cool, so cool.
Speaker 2: All right, you gotta Survivor for me. I do.
Speaker 3: And this is a crazy one. This is of course, where's history of silver? Thank you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm trying to go a little bit more classy, my friend. That's just the way it is today we're talking about And I apologize for horribly mispronouncing his name because I'm going to Sutumo Yamaguchi and this guy damn.
Speaker 3: So he.
Speaker 4: Drove from his house one morning in nineteen forty five, I believe it was yes to nineteen forty five, he drove to Hiroshima on a business trip. Oh god, where of course the bombs fell.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: So he was in the last and survived. He was in the hospital for three days. What did he do After he got out of the hospital.
Speaker 2: He drove back.
Speaker 3: Home to Nagasaki. Oh my god, where the next bomb fell? And he survived again?
Speaker 2: How did he survive?
Speaker 4: So a resident of Nagasaki, he was in Hiroshima on business for his employer, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries when the city was bombed at eight fifteen on August sixth, nineteen forty five. He then returned to Nagasaki the falling day, and despite they don't say how he survived, but despite his wounds, he returned to work on August ninth, the day of the second atomic bombing. That morning he was yeah, he and then he lived to be ninety three years old. Wow, And then he lived to be ninety three.
Speaker 1: I wonder what it was like if he just like got behind the one piece of metal, or like his car.
Speaker 4: I'm so curious how he actually who knows. I'm trying to see if they get more into it. But he said he never thought.
Speaker 3: Your panches oh huh as a wardraged not no, oh wait, here we go. So yeah.
Speaker 4: He was preparing to leave the city with two colleagues when he was on his way to the train station when he realized he'd forgotten his his hanko, which is a type of identification stamp common in Japan, and returned to his workplace to get it. He was walking toward the docks when the a Nola gay dropped the little boy near the center of the city. He saw the bomber and two parachutes before a great flash in the sky and he was blown over. The explosion ruptured his ear drums and blinded him temporarily and left him with serious burns over the left side and top half of his body. After recovering, he crawled to a shelter, and having rested, he set out to fight his colleagues. They had also survived, and together they spent the night in an air raid shelter before returning to Nagasaki. The following day in Nagasaki, received treatment for his wounds, and despite being heavily rebandaged, he reported for work on August ninth, and then at eleven am he was describing the blast in Hiroshima to his supervisor when the next bomb, fat Man was dropped on the city.
Speaker 3: He was again three.
Speaker 4: Kilometers from ground zero, but this time he was unhurt by the explosion. However, he was unable to replace his now ruined bandages, and he suffered from a high fever and continuous vomiting over the next week.
Speaker 3: But can you imagine he lived to be ninety three years old.
Speaker 2: Wow, so's insane.
Speaker 4: Two atomic blasts within days, the dude survived. Oh, I mean nuts, absolutely nuts.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's a good one.
Speaker 3: Jesus, that's a good one. Yeah, I'll say so. Yeah, shout out su Tomu Yamaguchi.
Speaker 1: All Right, you've been listening to pod mets twirled. The torches may be snuffed, but our questionable analysis burns on. We'll see you next time at tribal trap.
Speaker 2: Your smoking