Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club. Well Cowboys, This He's Talking Cowboys, springing live from the Dallas Cowboys World Headquarters at the Star in Priscilla.
Speaker 2: Six scents, dot Ti tis any paint tuchdown.
Speaker 1: And now your hosts, Isaiah Standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez, and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 3: Ladies and gentlemen, welcome into the first Say It with Your Chest Friday of the twenty twenty five season. It's a little bit of a different feel, but it's still the same sentiment because over the next forty five minutes we're gonna say it with our chest because there's a lot to talk about that has happened over the last twenty four hours. It is a Friday edition of Talking Cowboys present by Black Rifle Coffee Company. We have Patrick Nosey Walker, Josh Roderiguez, Tommy Yarrich with Chris Chris Beam in the back.
Speaker 4: QUI is sweam in the quick.
Speaker 5: Said?
Speaker 1: I was thirteen?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I love the baby. Wait where was the this guy's.
Speaker 4: Chris brother?
Speaker 1: This guy stakes?
Speaker 3: Can we start over?
Speaker 6: Just like now?
Speaker 5: You know how I felt the other day.
Speaker 3: Nah, shut up, Okay, the uh good and terrible Oh Man, guys, Micah Parsons is no longer a Dallas cowboy.
Speaker 4: What it is done?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, the.
Speaker 4: Movie actually one of the radar yesterday and.
Speaker 3: I went home after lunch, Yesterdakay, well you missed quite about oh darn the news reigning down at about three fifty five Central time. It was really kind of interesting. Our entire department of writers and on air personality and anybody with the media except for the managers. We're all in an HR meeting. It just like not like a bad HR meeting. It was a scheduled thing and it was just one of those place evaluation sort of situations. And then immediately Tommy arch is like they traded michaeh. Let's go like we all stormed.
Speaker 7: Out of there and then feel bad because I need to go to h Hard apologize because I I just said, I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: We have to go do this, we have to go take care of this.
Speaker 4: Weird and of course they understood.
Speaker 3: They did, but I hope so definitely did.
Speaker 5: We don't have a letter on my desk when we get back up.
Speaker 4: No, of course not.
Speaker 8: No, it made sense.
Speaker 3: Cowboys trade Micah Parsons to the Green Bay Packers. In return, they get a twenty twenty six and twenty twenty seven first round pick. Then they get Kenny Clark, interior defensive lineman from the Packers, a three time Pro bowler coming off probably his worst year as a pro in the n af fell. But he's twenty nine years old, still has some tread left on the tires, and it gives you a nose tackle to build around on that defensive front. The Packers didn't go on to sign Micah to a four year, one hundred and eighty eight million dollar extension with one hundred and thirty six million of that guaranteed. That's the situation. What just happened, Patrick, We talked about it already.
Speaker 4: Yesterday a little bitty podcast.
Speaker 3: But wow, even after a night's sleep, and it was a rough night's sleep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even after a night's sleep, I woke up with the same, the same simple thought, which was wow, that actually happened. And again I can't stress enough how how wild it is to see the regression of the relationship between Michael Parsons and the Dallas Cowboys deteriorated.
Speaker 3: I mean, oh quickly.
Speaker 2: Goodness, too. I mean from just last year. Jerry Jones and Michael Parsons. They're sitting at the Cotton Bowl. They're having a beer, they're eating their hot dogs, They're enjoying themselves. Michael Parsons says, I want to be a Cowboy forever. Jerry Jones and Stephen Jones they're saying, yes, we want him to be a Cowboy forever. Michael Parsons grew up a Cowboys fan. It's the storybook ending right wrong because at some point in that chronology and again check out Tommy Yash's story of the chronology on Dallas Cowboys dot Com follows everything that occurred in that timeline, but for it to end up being irreconcilable. I've I've been thinking about have I ever seen a situation like this with the Cowboys in my time being alive? And the answer is no, because we've seen contentious contract negotiations. It's a thing here. It's a thing. Dak Prescott on a couple of occasions, DeMarcus Lawrence on a couple of occasions. Ceedee Lamb had chose to hold out Zach mar and was absent in camp until he got a pay increase and it goes back even further than that. So we all had the thought, this isn't entirely different from that. This is the this is the show. Okay, in the end, they'll hug it out, they'll be friends, much like CD did, much like DAK did, so forth and so on. But the more this dragged on, the more it started to feel like they might actually get a divorce. And then earlier this week it became possible, and then as early as a couple of days ago it became probable, and then likely, and then, like Tommy said yesterday, we're sitting in the HR meeting and hopefully we're not fired this afternoon for running out of.
Speaker 5: The HR meeting, Please forgive us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the meteor hits the planet, and yeah, he's going to the Green Bay Packers. So the Packers effectively got what we talked about yesterday is their new Reggie White and the cow Boys have some things to figure out.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 7: I go back to just talking with some people this week and last night. I go back to the meeting in March that happened between Jerry Jones, Steven Jones, and Michael Parsons, when effectively they sat down and negotiated this framework of a contract in certain terms of the contract, and for the most part, came to an agreement. And I think when you look at the past with Jerry Jones, he's a big He's big on trust and if you don't have Jerry Jones's trust, you're gone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I.
Speaker 7: Think there is a part of an element to this where when Michael Parsons wanted to get his agent involved, which by the way, I fully agree with him doing. I mean, the guy's twenty six years old, it's his first major contract negotiation. Of course you get an agent involved. But I think when the offer was out on the table and then it was presented to Jerry Johns saying hey, we're going to have to redo this, I think that rubbed them the wrong way. And I think that was one of the reasons why this ended up being the case, is, you know, he thought that they had something. He thought Michael Parsons was going to be taken care of. He's going to be the highest paid non quarterback in NFL history, the most guaranteed money for a non quarterback in NFL history, and it was taken off the table. And you see, we've heard Jerry talk about that a couple of times now since then that hey, we had a deal knocked out. We had a deal knocked out. But in this case, should emotions be the reason why you can't get something done? Ultimately? I don't think so, you know. I think I think you try to find a way to move past it. But I think there are other factors and layers to this too, you know. I thought it was really interesting just some of the things that Jerry was saying yesterday when he was asked about how do you tell the locker room this or how do you convince the locker.
Speaker 5: Room to move forward?
Speaker 7: And Jerry said, I feel good about where we're at in the locker room, maybe better. And I think that's really telling. That's really telling about, you know, how he feels like this team is going to go moving forward. At the end of the day, when I link at the compensation, I think they could have gotten.
Speaker 4: More just because absolutely, I.
Speaker 7: Mean, players like Michel Parsons don't come around very often, and players like Michael Parsons aren't available for trade very often, so teams are going to give up a lot to get him. And I'm not saying Kenny Clark's not a good player. I'm not saying two first round picks isn't good. I think you could have gotten more. And you know, I think the timing of all this, with it being a week away from the season, certainly has a part to do with it too. But it is a unprecedented trade and one that I mean, we might never cover a trade like this ever again. But now you know, you got to very quickly turn your focus to Philadelphia here in six days.
Speaker 8: I think there's just a bit of shock to all of this. When we were talking about it yesterday, Tommy's saying in the moment, like this might be the biggest trade in Nful history. I was the quote that I'm pulling from Tommy Yrsh And at the time when you said that, I was sort of in like, I don't know, man, because it kind of felt like this might be happening, like I was. And granted, we're in the building, we're hearing these kind of rumblings going on, and I guess for me, the shock of it all was him going to Green Bay.
Speaker 4: Of all places.
Speaker 8: Whe that's a thorn, been a thorn in the side of the Cowboys for a very long time. That to me was the most shocking of it all, but also outside looking in, this might be the biggest trade to happen in NFL history at this point, like looking at not just the name of the player, but where he's at in his career. It's four years in. He's not quite hit his prime yet. And speaking of prime, you look at the Dean Sanders being traded from the Atlanta Falcons and you know that for them, how difficult that must have been in that scenario. You're looking at it right now and you're having to cope with these things. You're going through the stages of grief because a lot of people really love this player. One thing that I've that Patrick just mentioned is Jerry He's always gets this guy paid. Dak paid, Zeke paid, Emmitt paid. You know, all of these the guys that you'd expected. Jerry doesn't say he pays his guys. Was Michael Parson really that guy?
Speaker 4: Did?
Speaker 8: I mean, ultimately, after all of this, you know, they talked about leadership, They talked about how since March it feels and not necessarily I don't think this is the grand scheme. I don't think this is the grand plan. I'm not trying to put that out there and say like, oh yeah, they thought of this from the beginning. It's been this grand master plan that they've had. But was part of this any part of this attest to his leadership. They moved him next to Dak Prescott to improve his leadership, dragging this contract situation out and ultimately saying like, Okay, we're gonna do the same thing we did with Dak. He didn't get the contract. The contract negotiations is done in the offseason, so you're gonna have to pay on that fifth year option. He decides to go get a second opinion, possibly, you know. To me, at every point this felt like testing his leadership skills and if he was able to get past that hump and show that he was willing to do what it took to play for the Dallas Cowboys. So when he's laying on the table in the preseason, when he's he's showing disinterest for guys, his teammates that are out there attempting to play for their football lives. And Micha Parsons is a made guy. He's going to play, there's no doubt about it. He's made the team, of course, but the disinterest that he showed on the sideline, the disrespect that he showed to his fellow players, intended or not, for the big picture, intended or not, I think that showed them what they needed to see.
Speaker 2: As your question, Michael Parsons was absolutely a Jerry Jones guy, much like Dak Prescott is, Ceedie Lamb is, Emmitt Smith was, Ezekiel Elliott was DeMarcus Lawrence was because it was Jerry who ultimately called DeMarcus and said, you know what, enough is enough. Let's hash this out, and they got it hashed out. Michael Parsons and Jerry Jones had a relationship prior to this dissolution that is rarely seen. I mean, like Jerry Jones even said it in the press conference yesterday, only three people have his phone number.
Speaker 4: Michael Parsons was one of those.
Speaker 2: I think that's a blatant Maybe Tad is the second person. Patrick No, No, his his lovely wife is the third. But of course that was a tongue in cheek statement. Sure, but what he was trying to say is that's how close they were. So there was not simply a fracture. There was a hard split in the planet underneath that relationship.
Speaker 4: And I believe that or split.
Speaker 2: Yes, it ultimately ended up with we could argue that, and it's a justifiable argument that him lying on the table impacted it. I agree optics wise, I agree that it did, but scale back earlier than that. It really goes down to the point where he was Jerry Jones's guy. Jerry Jones had the offer out there for him. Jerry even said yesterday, we don't know if it's exactly true. We'd have to hear from Micah and his representatives see if it's true. But he said that the guaranteed money that was offered by the Cowboys was greater than the guaranteed money he ended up getting from the packers. So what I'm saying here with that point is is that, yes, Jerry was willing to pay him.
Speaker 4: He said it several times. We could have signed him. We were willing to sign him.
Speaker 2: But what did Jerry consistently harken back to something you said?
Speaker 4: Trust? He trusted. His perception of.
Speaker 2: The engagement was that we had this deal negotiated and then you came back and tried to use our negotiation as the floor for a new negotiation. He just that broke the trust. So from there everything spiraled out of control.
Speaker 8: What he said is they wanted to start to get negotiations where I end.
Speaker 7: Where it ended, right, And you know, I think the interesting part too was Jerry confirming our good friend Jane Slater's report that you know, at the end of the day, he came up to Jerry Johnson there, Jerry Jones came to Michael Parsons when he and his representatives tried to come back and rekindle negotiations and said, look, either play on your fifth year or let's no more. And Michael Parsons didn't want to play on his fifth year, rightfully, So I mean, he deserves his money, I think, and he and it ends up being traded.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 7: I don't know if the offer that was on the table from Dallas was that much less than Green Bays, but nonetheless, you know, he was.
Speaker 4: Less than forty seven, Yeah, forty seven.
Speaker 5: It was less than forty seven.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I don't know if it was substantially less than forty seven, none of that.
Speaker 5: There's nothing, there's nothing that we can do about it now.
Speaker 4: Green Bay clear of the fence.
Speaker 5: But yeah, they did.
Speaker 3: They did. When you look at a player like Micah Parsons and I've got a stat here from Pro Football Focus highest pressure rates over a four season span in NFL history. Actually it's in the NFL, but it since two thousand and six. I'm going to name some guys on this list. Von Miller, Aaron Donald, Nick Bosa, Miles Garrett, JJ Watt, Alden Smith who of course was great early in his career but kind of fizzled out later, Khalil Mack, DeMarcus Ware, Dwight Freeney. You get what I'm doing, right. You know who's at the top of that list. Michael Parsons is at the top of that list, not second or third or fourth behind these other great names. He's top of the list. So to see a player traded four years into a career where those four years, this is not the first four years of a career compared with Aaron Donald and Von Miller and all these different guys, this is the best four year span and that Von Miller, Aaron Donald, Nick Bosa and all these guys had in terms of doing their job the right way and getting pressure on an opponent. And Michael Parsons was better than those guys over his first four years as a part of the NFL. I like two first round picks.
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 3: Don't get me wrong. I love the draft show. I love the NFL draft. This team has been good at drafting. I love getting first round draft picks. They haven't picked in the first round twice since two thousand and eight. It's been a long time since this front office has done it. I love it. I like Kenny Clark. I think Kenny Clark's a good player. He was banged up a little bit last year, played through injury, had a down year. Like I said at the start of the show, Kenny Clark is a good player, don't get me wrong. But for the conversation to stop there, that's where I have the problem. Correct, That's where if you wanted to throw in another at least Day two pick a second or a third, then maybe we at least I feel a little bit better about this whole situation. Maybe you throw in Edrin Cooper, who's a young defender that can kind of play a role in your defense, in your front seven, and he would be another toy for Matt Eberflus to play with when it comes to Devari and Overshown coming back. Having those two guys next to each other would have been a brilliant time. How about some of the other players on this Packers roster that are young and have some upside. I mean, I don't know if any of those guys were ever in the conversation, but what we know is that it's two first round picks, it's Kenny Clark, and for those two things, or those three things to come together and try and match the production that Micah had through his first four years. And I'm just talking on the field. I'm talking football here. I don't think you're gonna have that.
Speaker 5: Equal And maybe we do.
Speaker 3: Maybe Dallas has a great couple of drafts and they go bang bang bang bang with these four first round picks, or you package it and you get the future of your franchise with the first round picks in tow whenever you've got those over the next two years. Maybe that's the case. But right now I'm looking at it, and that's a high ceiling and a high expectation to ask for because you had the future of your franchise on defense, and all you had to do was push the check across the table the right way. Now, I know there are two sides to this, and I know Michah Parsons. There is a there was a fine rift, and that rift wasn't just from one side, it was from both sides. So I'm not blaming the entire thing on the front office. I'm not blaming all of it on Michael Parsons as well. But as a Cowboys fan, somebody that grew up watching this team, enjoyed watching guys like DeMarcus where play football and lead a defense. Micah could have been that because the number show he was better than that. He could have been that throughout his entire career, and now we don't get a chance to see it. This isn't Luka Doncic. Let me just say that too, for those that are comparing it to Luca, This is not Luca. It wasn't a surprise thing in the middle of the night where Luca is stunned by and crying and he's going to l a and and he's upset in the press conference and they get one first round pick and Anthony Davis who can't stay on the court. It's not This is not Luka Doncic. None of that is true.
Speaker 4: No, it's true, But.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying I'm a mass fan too. It's not Luca, but it's also not right at the same time. That's kind of where I'm at.
Speaker 2: So there there are a lot of levels and layers to this that that I take issue with, but I'm gonna I'm going to jump right on that particular compensation point my thing. And I even tweeted this earlier yesterday when the smell of the trade started to kind of waft more and more, I said, I want your entire soul. Yeah, two planets, right, I want, I want it right, So two planets and the solar we need, Jupiter and Saturday, we need the rings that come.
Speaker 4: All at I want both of your dogs out the weed. That's a bar. So you have Yeah, you did, you did.
Speaker 3: I didn't catch it's because I piggybacked on Josh's points through that HR yesterday.
Speaker 4: Nice.
Speaker 2: So what the Cowboys got was a compensation package. What I what I wanted for Michael Parsons was a hall, an absolute hall.
Speaker 4: It's a good compensation, but.
Speaker 3: I agree with it. They're not pulling up a good.
Speaker 2: Compensation package for a record setting, potential future Hall of Fame talent.
Speaker 4: The scale is off balance.
Speaker 2: I think that that's the problem I have with that poor see the Luca.
Speaker 3: Trade broke the scale in the wrong direct, in the wrong it broke it. I don't think this breaks the scale, but it is.
Speaker 8: It's it's I mean, it's definitely it's hard to think you could have gotten more.
Speaker 4: It's it's really hard to think hard.
Speaker 3: Do you think you couldn't have gotten more?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree with you. I think if you would have thrown in another talented player a starter, you give me two starters and two first round picks.
Speaker 2: But on top of that, let's go back to Josh's point, not only what I have the other team's name, notwithstanding I wanted a haul, you're telling me it's the Packers. I absolutely demand it, because this is the same Packers team that has owned you, and not just in general, but on your own field.
Speaker 4: They've lost it on their field.
Speaker 2: I mean, this goes back and now, what you've done is taken an NFC contender and you've made them that much better without immediately quantifying your what you view as an upgrade as equal to their upgrade. So even if you are Jerry Jones and you're toying this line of Kenny Clark, and again I do agree with Kyle Kenny Clark had a down year last year, and we'll get to that, but he's one year removed from a career high season seven and a half seven and forty four combined tackles and force fumbles and pass deflections. Yeah, he's only one year moved from that. We'll see if eba fus can get him back to that point. So this is not a not to Kenny Clark. What I'm saying is, if you're going to give me Kenny Clark, and I love the two first round picks, I need more knowing that me giving you Michael Parsons takes you and puts you potentially, We'll see how it all plays out. Did the Cowboys just put the Packers in the NFC Championship game?
Speaker 4: You made it?
Speaker 2: And if that's the case, I needed to weaken you more. Yeah, I needed to weaken you more. If I'm going to strengthen you so much so in this capacity, I need it to be an equal exchange of some sort.
Speaker 4: And it's just not an equal exchange.
Speaker 3: You're saying you needed a cheese tax.
Speaker 2: I needed a cheese cheese tax if anyone in the NFC, and I just could not have seen them making an NFC East trade for Michael Parsons that would have.
Speaker 4: And Jerry said that to Arry was like, but outside of.
Speaker 2: The NFC East, if it's within this conference, I'm applying an additional tax on this transaction. And not only was the tax now applied, but you could argue that the packers walked away with a discount.
Speaker 8: And you're trading them to a contender. Yeah, Micah Parsons, one of the best players in the NFL, trading to a contender effectively making your draft picks worse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but of the.
Speaker 2: Threat because now you're not unless the less they implode. You're not talking top ten, top fifteen. You're talking late twenties thirties, which makes it essentially a high second round pick.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I'll say this too, though, you know, in terms of the compensation, I'm completely agree with all you guys.
Speaker 3: I think they could have gotten more.
Speaker 7: And they should have got and they should have gotten more, and they should have gotten more. Jerry Jones, I think looked at this as herschel Walker two point oh. There was never going to be a haul like herschel Walker one point oh.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 7: I think that's just one of a kind. There's never gonna be something like that in NFL history ever again. But I think you look and you make a good point about if the Packers are contending for a Super Bowl, now, that's gonna be twenty five twenty in terms of you know, when they pick in the first round. So my thing is, did the Cowboys look at this and say, we're gonna use this as stock or as another asset to try and move up, try and move up in twenty six and or twenty seven. Good, you've got the opportunity to do that. I know Jerry John said yesterday, Hey, we could use one of these to go get somebody right now.
Speaker 1: Right now.
Speaker 5: I don't see that happening.
Speaker 7: I think, you know, so would you go get Yeah, we're six we're six days away from the season.
Speaker 5: I highly doubt it.
Speaker 7: So you know that, I think that's how they That's how they look at it, whether or not that I'm not here to tell you what's right and what's not right.
Speaker 5: That's just how I think they're looking at it.
Speaker 7: And I think you look at twenty twenty six, twenty twenty seven, those draft claspecifically, twenty twenty seven, there's gonna be some and we're gonna talk about it on the Draft Show. There's gonna be some really good players in twenty twenty seven. You want to watch one of them, turn on Texas Ohio State on Saturday and watch Colin Simmons the edgeress for a Texas play. You're going to see a guy who who who can want to talk about who can wreck the game?
Speaker 3: Ohio State.
Speaker 4: He felt me to make sure.
Speaker 7: Well, I mean, I'm just saying, if we if we're talking about edge rushers to put the long hand.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, okay, if you want to, if you want to go watch for.
Speaker 8: A guy that says, go dogs every five minutes.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Josh, thank you.
Speaker 7: If you want to go watch a wide receiver, that might be Leo Jones two point zher go watch number four and Scarlet and Gray hopefully not catching the ball very much on Saturday.
Speaker 5: But yeah, you know that's.
Speaker 7: How I see them kind of picturing this thing if they can make it, you know, if this is their herschel Walker two point oh and Jerry Jones talked about yesterday kind of not necessarily resetting things, but giving this staff a clean slate going into their first year. I think that was really important is getting something done before the season started, so we didn't have to go into the year asking Brian Schottenheimer every week about Michael Parsons.
Speaker 5: So now you've got a clean slate.
Speaker 4: So here's the added angle.
Speaker 2: So when they start talking about flipping picks, absolutely that's a possibility. I also don't see that happening six days before you go to Philadelphia, but the trade deadlines out until the beginning of November, so we'll see how that plays out. But if you're going to enter that negotiation with other teams and saying, yeah, we got these additional two first round picks, we're willing to have a conversation with those gms are looking at you saying the same thing that we're saying right now. They're saying, well, who's picks were they initially Green Bays?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: True.
Speaker 5: Now you're your point.
Speaker 3: I want to talk more about this because there is some flexibility now, and I want to set it up the way that Cowboys fans. I know, the Micah Parsons, we've already established this. The compensation wasn't ideal, but it's what we have. It's what Dallas has to work with over the next couple of years. So what can be next? What is next on the horizon. What's some of the different positives that come from this, because it's not all negative, there are some positives. When we come back on talking cowboys, we move on to this trade is now done? What's next on the table? Right after this?
Speaker 9: AT and T has a new guarantee. Because most things in life are not guaranteed, like getting through self checkout by.
Speaker 10: Yourself warning, each item must be placed in the bagging area, not guarantee. Place item in the bagging area, Place im in the bagging area.
Speaker 4: You know what.
Speaker 9: AT and T guarantees connectivity. You depend on deals you want, in service you deserve, or we make it right burms and conditions. A bive is a att dot com SLAST guarantee for details. AT and T connecting changes everything.
Speaker 6: Every day begins with a promise, a promise to work hard and to build a future. That's why we're here providing the tools, expertise and jahn Deere equipment you have relied on for generations to help you get the job done right.
Speaker 8: We're with you.
Speaker 6: That's our promise to you because no matter of the project or the challenge you're facing.
Speaker 4: Where were you, where are you not it?
Speaker 3: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag, box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle coffee today.
Speaker 11: As America's leading business lender, Bank of America is on your corner and in your corner, with over nine billion dollars in business loans and more than one hundred and forty business specialists right here in North Texas. We help businesses thrive so communities prosper. What would you like the power to do? Learn more at Bankfamerica dot com, slash Local Business Bank of America Official Bank of FIFA Club copyright twenty twenty five. Think of America Corporation alrights reserved.
Speaker 1: To Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Back here on Talking Cowboys. This segment is brought to you by Invisi Line, the official smile of the Dallas Cowboys. Yes, there is still something to smile about even today. Cowboys Nation, we appreciate you joining us, We really do. I see the YouTube chat. I've watched it every single time. There's a lot of you in there today, and I get it because there is a lot of negative out there. I know there's a lot of positive too. I'm reading the chat there too. There's a split. It's pretty much the majority is upset about the trade. And I get it. You just traded an all pro, one of the best of all time at what he does in the first four years of his career. I get it. There's gonna be some negativity there, but it's not all negative. Talked about two first round picks gives you some flexibility. Not signing Micah Parsons to a forty forty plus million dollar deal gives you some flexibility in the salary cap. You get an interior defensive lineman that you've been desperately searching for. I know he's twenty nine, I know he's coming off of a down year. Don't give me all that. Kenny Clark is the best defensive tackle, nose tackle you've had here in a long time. He's just instantly before he gets off the plane, and he is already one of the best you've had here in a long time. Whatever condition he's yeah, I don't yeah, And he's been practicing, so he's in good condition.
Speaker 1: He's fine.
Speaker 7: And Kenny Clark last year was probably going to be your best defensive tackle in that down down year.
Speaker 3: So there are positives here. Yes, it could have been more. We've already established that. If you're just joining a show, go back and watch it. We've already talked through all that. Where do you feel like the biggest positive is for this? Is it the flexibility? Is it the salary cap room? Is it the current turnaround? I don't think it's the current turnaround. I think twenty twenty five. This is not a move for twenty twenty five. This is a move that ends in twenty twenty seven with the first round picks, and what you do with these four first round picks over the next two years that's going to define what this move means for your franchise.
Speaker 2: Really, it depends the answer to that question. Depends upon actions taken with the resources achieved or acquired, I should say, so, yes, you have the two first round picks that you add it to your bucket if you choose to flip those who are you flipping those four if you don't choose to flip those who are you using those picks on? And will those picks turn into Michael Parsons and someone else's hope? That's what you hope. But that's hope is not a strategy. Shouts out to Isaiah Stanbeck and Kyla Yomena. Yeah, because that's your favorite saying, and it's right. I know you're the og of that though, thank you. But so it same applies to when it comes to the salary cap space. So by not, first of all, let me be clear, because it's still too many people saying, well, if you signed Michael Parsons then it would have hit the twenty five.
Speaker 4: No, it wouldn't.
Speaker 2: If it would have added eighteen million dollars, Now you could have talked about next year the year after. But by not, by trading Michael Parson's away, you now get that fully guaranteed twenty four million dollars back onto your cap. So if you account for the three million dollar hit that is coming along with Kenny Clark. You're floating around forty forty million dollars forty forty one million dollars in salary cap space for twenty twenty five. If you don't use any of that, you can roll one hundred percent of it over in twenty twenty six. I get it. Tommy Broke brought it up yesterday. Great point. You have contract extensions coming up with Tyler Smith, Deron Bland, some of these other guys. That being said, back to my original point, you have all this money and you have these extra picks.
Speaker 4: We won't know if.
Speaker 2: This worked out in the cowboys favor until I see what you're doing free agency with your forty forty one million dollars, assuming that's what you still have in addition to the cap space you'll be awarded when things go up next year. We don't know if if the roster is going to be improved in twenty twenty six and twenty twenty seven because of this trade, because we don't know who you're going to pick, and we don't know if that those picks are going to pan out. Oh, we don't know if you want to flip the picks for a veteran who's going to come in on a blockbuster situation. But I do agree that Kenny Clark is instantly full stop. Like Josh said, instantly your best nose tackle, which leads us to a conversation will have at another point, what does that mean for Mozzie Smith?
Speaker 4: That what does that even.
Speaker 2: Mean for Perry On Winfrey who earned his spot because now it's it's Perry On Winfrey versus Mozzie Smith. With Kenny Clark staring you right in the face as you're starting nose.
Speaker 4: Tackle, Yeah, in the way, three twenty pounds in the lough. He's a lot. He's a lot, and he's in the way.
Speaker 3: I kind of want to just sticking on that point. Sorry to cut you out, O gosh. When it comes to the edge rusher position, we talked about it on our Matten ratings earlier in the week, right, our edge rusher spot was pretty good across the board. You felt good about it with Micah. Yes, they are at least group Without Micah, they're not. It's just playing and simple. They're not an elite group. But are they still a strength of this football team. I would argue yes, Sam Williams, Marshawn Nelan Donovan Ezeraku. They are. There's still a lot to be proven there, but you've invested in that position and you have some talent there. So even if they go from being elite down to good, okay, you've got a good at shrudger room. Did your interior defensive line just go from being a bad interior defensive line room to at least an adequate one? Yes, adequate, maybe borderline, depending on how much is able to play or question mark? Yeah, good, question mark. I think your defensive line is still fine. It's okay. And Jerry talked about it yesterday. A lot of the press conference was kind of rambling and it wasn't all put together, but one of the things I thought was interesting is he said coach Eberflus was confident that they could scheme pressure, and I think with the unit that they have, in the personnel they have, they can scheme pressure. Will it be Micah Parson's pressure, No, it will not.
Speaker 2: Just don't anticipate and you're going to get your linebackers and the safety is involved.
Speaker 3: I was going to come in, They're going to be fine.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: It was Steven that said you can scheme pressure. You can't scheme stopping the run, which is true, which is true. Yeah, but this is still, in my opinion, just an okay defensive tackle room, like, yes, it got better, but.
Speaker 3: I don't sign, I don't know if you're right, you're head that twenty four hours.
Speaker 5: Oh absolutely it was not good. No, it wasn't good.
Speaker 3: So yes, anything was better, right, anything was better.
Speaker 7: But to say that, all right, run defense done, We're good, Yeah, that's not that's that's not the case.
Speaker 5: That's not the case. I show it now much less.
Speaker 7: You know, all this talk about, hey, we wanted to improve the run defense, rightfully, so they have been horrible against the run the last couple of years. It's what's bit them in the playoffs, it's what's bit them in the regular season. You want a really good test of how good your run defense is, you got Saquon Barkley coming up in six days. When the Eagles offensive line that is really good, really good left to right. They're creative in the run game. They get those guys in space the left side of their their offensive line. We're going to talk about this next week, And here we go the sneak sneak preview for that little gameless plug but the Eagles are super creative and how they get their offensive lineman moving that left side of the offensive line when they get out in space. It is half a ton of mass just pushing you out of the way.
Speaker 3: So you ever seen that scene in The Lion King?
Speaker 5: Which one?
Speaker 4: Which one?
Speaker 1: One?
Speaker 3: More? Move? Fassa dies?
Speaker 7: Spoilers, Sorry to anybody who has watched WAT Classics.
Speaker 2: Spoil that's kind of cool. The Lion dies? Is that the reference you're using?
Speaker 4: Oh, nikes, Kyle, too soon, Kyle is scarred.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was just saying that was moving. You did it, That's all I was.
Speaker 7: Yeah, no, but they've gone all right, Thanks for hosting, Kyle. But yeah, they get up the field, they get out in space, and of course Saquon Barkley just ran for two thousand yards.
Speaker 5: So there's your test. There's your test.
Speaker 7: And if you're if you if you go out into that game, they don't stop the run and say, okay, well, you know, Kenny Clark's only been here for six days. You know you got to give him some time, all right, you playing later again in the year later, you can try again, but you know.
Speaker 4: Three weeks later.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, by the way, yeah, Josh Jacobs comes into town, and it's just I.
Speaker 2: Tell you what I want to do because you sparked a thought in my head because Kenny Clark. You mentioned that obviously the Cowboys are playing the Eagles, and it just struck me, Hey, that means that there's plenty of film on Kenny Clark versus the Saquon Barkley and the Eagles from the last year's postseason game. So looking at the stats Kenny Clark finished that game that the Eagles did walk away with the win, but they only scored twenty two points, so the Packers defense was pretty effective and containing those guys. Let's see Saquan Yeeson did saque things. He had one nineteen with a four point eight average. Kenny Clark had five combined tackles, and I'm interested, So I'm gonna actually, after the show, I'm going to use sometime today, I'm going to dissect some Kenny Clark film against the Eagles. Let's see, because assuming that he does play in six days, even if it's on a pitch count, let me see how much he's upgrading this defensive tackle room. So follow me on Twitter if you're not already, because I'm going to do a breakdown on Kenny Clark versus the Eagles.
Speaker 4: Let's see how he does there.
Speaker 3: You go, all right, we got to take our second break. When we come back, I'm going to read some of these comments about this lion king thing, because this is hilarious. We come back all right after this.
Speaker 9: AT and T has a new guarantee. Because most things in life are not guaranteed, like getting through self checkout by yourself.
Speaker 10: Warning, each item must be placed in the bagging area.
Speaker 9: Not guarantee.
Speaker 10: Place item in the bagging area. Place item in the bagging area.
Speaker 4: You know what.
Speaker 9: AT and T guarantees connectivity. You depend on deals you want, in service you deserve, or we make it right Burms and Conditions Survive is a att dot com SLAST guarantee for details. AT and T connecting changes everything.
Speaker 3: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some black rifle coffee. Today.
Speaker 12: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of Doctor Pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller.
Speaker 1: Would you, Dear Doctor?
Speaker 3: My friend supported me during a tough time.
Speaker 10: But what's the right gift that says thanks for being a soldier?
Speaker 1: To cry out?
Speaker 12: Okay, this one's easy, I say, give her a delicious Doctor Pepper. Nothing says thanks goo better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do. Now, just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 3: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus, because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip to Talking Cowboys. Back here on Talking Cowboys. We're gonna have to wrap up the show a little bit early because we're talking about Kenny Clark. We're talking about the move that was made yesterday by Jerry Jones. They're both gonna be upstairs say his name and we've got here. Yeah, we've got to go be there and be a part of that quickly. Seth does get our comment of the day. He said Kyle might be scarred, but Cowboys Nation is scarred. That's the comment of the day. That's very raffiki of you. What a very nice is poetic. Yeah, there's a wisdom nicely done, Seth. He's now entered our competition for Comment of.
Speaker 4: This year, but we eve don't like it.
Speaker 3: Patrick Noci Walker, Josh Rodriguez, Tommy Yarish, Chris Beam in the back. Does this change just to wrap up the show? Does this change the twenty twenty five win total for you one way or the other.
Speaker 8: No, I do not think you were in championship contention this year with Michael Parsons. I don't think that is the case now. I think this is a soft slash hard rebuild with the current coaching staff. I mean, I think it would be a lot to expect of them to reach championship with his new coaching staff. But I think you're doing your best to build the correct culture around you. This does feel in a lot of ways like a culture move, and you know it sucks.
Speaker 4: I don't like it.
Speaker 8: I think you could have gotten more, and Michael Parsons is going to play really well for all sixteen games out there in Green Bay. But at least for me here for now, I think you're building towards the future and that's the best you can hook for right now. Mind you, I said sixteen games for Michael Parsons.
Speaker 2: No, it doesn't, because for me it's a little bit less than a wash. It upgrades your defensive tackle position, your nose tackle positions specifically, Absolutely true. But Dante Fowlers, you're only proven edge rusher. Yeah, everybody else has a lot of potential, a lot youth, but it's potential yeah, and it hasn't been realized quite yet. So what you're doing is taking your best defensive player off of the field, sending him out of town for good. And you're looking at Dante Fowler rightfully so, but then a lot of unproven pieces. So that we talked about the scale earlier, that doesn't balance with the upgrade at nose tackle because the upgrade of nose tackle isn't as substantial as what Micah gave you over the first four seasons fifty two and a half sex in sixty three games, plus the pressures in the names that you mentioned, Von Miller, Aaron Donalds of the World, Reggie Weiss and things like that. So no, for me, it doesn't move the needle in the Cowboys positively in the Cowboys direction as far as the win loss record is concerned.
Speaker 7: All right, yeah, just real quick for me, I was at eight nine. I think we're still at eight nine.
Speaker 3: That's probably right around where I'm at. That's gonna do it for us here on talking Cowboys. We got to get out of here, go catch up with Kenny Clark and Jerry Jones upstairs, just to get you all the content you need for next week. We'll be back on Tuesday. No show Monday nine am Central. It'll be our full fledged preview of the game against the Philadelphia Eagles on Thursday Night Football for Patrick Nosey Walker, Josh Rodriguez, Tommy Ours, Chris Beam in the back. I'm Kyle Yeoman saying so long from Talking Cowboys. We will see you next week.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of lascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.