Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: What's up, everybody, Welcome back to the Draymond Green Show. We are live on AM. It is post game seven and you have the Boston Celtics losing through the Miami Heat at home. Miami headed to the NBA Finals. Congratulations to the Miami Heat and the Denver Nuggets, two teams headed to the NBA Finals. Denver Nuggets have had an incredible season. Miami Heat has had an up and down season. But when it all said and done, it does not matter except for what you do at the end. Boston Celsius had an incredible season, but when it's all said and done, does not matter because of what you did at the end. And quite frankly, before we get into all of this, we will talk the game, we'll talk a little the final stuff.
Speaker 1: But I must say.
Speaker 2: It did not hurt me to watch the Boston Celtics fans suffer. Those people were really rude to me last year, and I like to see them suffer. Quite frankly, when I was sitting there watching the game, I was just sitting there like wow, Like the last four or five minutes, you were up eighteen points and I was just sitting there like man, like that feels so good because you got to think when you're up eighteen points, nineteen points, twenty one points, twenty three points with four minutes to go, like you're just counting down the clock.
Speaker 1: To get to the end of the game. And it's like.
Speaker 2: Every rebound you get, like every shot they missed, like it just feels good. And so as I'm sitting there watching that, I'm like, Wow, that feels amazing, Like I know, it feel amazing like and it does, and quite frankly, for the second year in a row, in a big, close out game, the Boston fans suffered. Now, as you all know, we always talk about this, we have a Boston fan who puts this show together, like, yes, I come on here, yes I talk, yes I do my thing, But the guy behind it, like making the magic really happen. It's Jackson and Jackson as you all know as a Boston Celtics fan, and Jackson, as you all could guess right now, it's heartbroken. And he's heartbroken because the Boston Celtics are who we thought they were. They got to the moment and they did not look like they were ready for the moment. All of a sudden, all the shots were short again. All of a sudden, they looked like they couldn't play basketball with their left hand again. All of a sudden, they looked like exactly who we thought they were now. Quite frankly, the first thing I said, and you can imagine what I said, right like, I'm watching them, like, wow, they looked like this game won in the regular season.
Speaker 1: Wow. They looked like they looked in the close out game last year. Wow.
Speaker 2: And so you have to, like you start to question, like does that become your mo right, like when it gets tough, what do you do? And so let's think about this, like if you think back through the series, in every game that mattered and now when I say matter, I mean mattered for them, like where the pressure was on them, like they were supposed to win they actually lost except game six, right, Like game six matter, Game six they had to win. Not sure what the odds are as far as Vegas goes, but they went and won it like they had to win. But if you think about like game one they were supposed to win, they lost, Game two, Boston was supposed to win. They lost Game three. You're like, all right, they went down, oh and two they lost two. They're down oh two, lost two games at home, so game three they're going to win, right, they have to win.
Speaker 1: They lost Game four.
Speaker 2: You down oh three, You got a free swing at it because you're supposed to lose.
Speaker 1: Then you're supposed to get swept. You're down oh to three on the road.
Speaker 2: They won, but it's actually a game they supposed to lose, so it's no pressure. Then you go back home in game five and like, yeah, you're supposed to win, but you're still down three to one, so it wins.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Game six is tough, right, Like you're going in game six but you're rolling off the high of winning the last two games. But you're going into game six and you're like, all right, and quite frankly, we haven't talked about this, but they won on like a garbage buzzer beater at the last second. Give it Derek White credit, like he made the play. That's how it happened. That's how the cookie crumbles sometimes. But like they almost they gave that game away up tire with three minutes ago. Here Miami take it. They gift wrap Miami the game Derek White. Marcus Smartshot had a good look too about it. Rattle in and up, and you know, good fortune, Derek White got tipping, so you give him his credit. He also showed up tonight, by the way, he was one of the few that showed up tonight. Definitely give him his credit on tonight as well. But they actually should have lost game six. But I'm not one that I'm not one of what it could have should have. If you win, you win, you lose, you lose. Ain't know what it could have should have. We all would have if we could have, like don't matter. So they actually, however, should have lost game six, but they didn't. So you get back home new game seven, and what does everybody say up there.
Speaker 1: Going back home? Miami lost game six? It is over.
Speaker 2: I text one of my I text a friend earlier, and I told a friend earlier like I it would not shock me if Boston go out here and showed, because they're gonna go back home. They're gonna feel like, oh man, we home, and they're gonna feel like they won already. Like when I saw, like if I'm on Miami's team and I saw the way they were celebrating and like the things they were doing after game six, I'm immediately showing this to my teammates like, Yo, look at these dudes like they think they already want something, like let's go smack them, Like because they already want, they look at them like, look at their body langles. So if they think they want already, we go smack them, catch them off guard.
Speaker 1: They're toatal. So I was telling them friend earlier, like, yo.
Speaker 2: I think Miami gonna win because Boston gonna go back home and relax, because, like, let's face it, that's the type of things that Boston has done over the last couple of years, and so it does become your mo Like, now, let's get into the game and what actually happened.
Speaker 1: Number one? JT rolled his ankle on the first play.
Speaker 2: I get all of that, you know, but if you stay in the game, you stayed in the game. And JT's not the type of guy that's going to make an excuse for that. So I'm not saying he's going to make an excuse. Boston Celtics fan will make excuses, and I ain't hearing none of that shit because y'all rude, and I'm happy y'all lost. A Boston celish fan not happy JT lost, but Boston Celtics fans, especially those of you that are in that arena. I'm happy y'all lost, because, like, stop being who you are, Like, like stop being who you are. I've heard that before, but you know what I mean, Like stop being the way that y'all are. Like at some point you just can't be that way. So stop doing that. And you know what that is. I don't need to go into that, but anyway, so we know, JT I roll this ankle on the first play, didn't have a good game, wasn't quite aggressive. It was getting beat the entire game. Jaylen Brown struggled six to tweeny two from the field, eight turnovers in a game where Jason Tatums beat up. You needed a bet, You needed a better game from Jaylen Brown. Uh, you didn't get that. But I'm gonna tell you and this isn't a Jaylen Brown thing. This is this is just I told you all before. Stop with the game seven.
Speaker 1: It's over.
Speaker 2: Like game seven is game seven, and game seven brings out some of the worst in people. And I knew it would be a very tough night of a Celtic. When Al Harford shot that three from the right corner and it hit the other side bottom cushion of the backboard. That's hard to do. And like what things like that say to me, Like when you see things like that, it's like yo, getting a little tight, Like all of a sudden, that shot ain't that easy anymore. Why because it's Game seven, the lights are different, a little brighter, there's a few more eyes on the situation. It's a national holiday bunch of eyes on the situation. And when he shot that ball from the corner and that thing hit the other side of the backboard cushion, it ain't even like skinning the other side of it hit like that's a boom, Like that's a that's that type of brick. When that happened, I said, Oh, these boys are tight. So I thought Boston got really tight in the situation. And I was not shocked. I wasn't surprised because I've seen that in a situation before, up close and personal, firsthand in the guard I've seen that very thing, So I was not surprised. But in saying that, like, let's like talked about Jayleen, Like Jaylen had a tough game.
Speaker 1: Kayler Martin.
Speaker 2: Kayler Martin averaged nineteen on sixty percent shooting in forty nine percent from three. Now, Listen, I'm never mad at Jimmy Butler winning the Conference Finals MVP because Jimmy Butler is like Jimmy Butler, and quite frankly, none of this goals without Jimmy Butler, like.
Speaker 1: The Miami Heat, none of that works without Jimmy.
Speaker 2: Jimmy actually finished with twenty eight, six and seven, had a much better game today than he's had to pass three and like Jimmy is the guy we know that like, never taking anything away from Jimmy, congrats him on the war. I personally, if I had a vote, I personally was voting for Kayler Martin for MVP. I think he was extremely consistent across the board. I think he was really good across the board. And also like a part of me is like yo, Jimmy Butler, Like Jimmy Butler carries his team right, Like they've been to the Conference finals with three out of the last four years, so the thought is always that they'll get back there. And my thought with them always getting back there is like Jimmy Butler is gonna have another opportunity. Who's to say Kayler Martin will probably never have another opportunity to win an MVP award like that, and quite frankly like he earned it again first, he earned if he won. I'm not saying Jimmy shouldn't have won, so let's not do that here. I don't roll like that, not hating on anything, but he earned the right to be in that conversation, and so for me, he would have had my vote. And quite frankly, I know the type of guy that Jimmy Butler is. Jimmy actually probably would have preferred Kayleb Martin to get the MVP. That's just how Jimmy is. Like Jimmy don't want to play the All Star Games. Like Jimmy, he just don't get off on all of that stuff, Like he don't.
Speaker 1: That's just not the type of stuff. It just doesn't get Jimmy off.
Speaker 2: Like Jimmy wants to win and all of that and like, yeah, play well, obviously great, but he don't get off on all of that stuff. And I know the type of person he is and the type of teammate that Jimmy is, I think he would have actually preferred to see Caleb, one of his young fellows who he's brought up like I'm sure he would have preferred to see.
Speaker 1: Him win that award. I personally thought he deserved it.
Speaker 2: Again, not that he's just over Jimmy, but he played incredible average nineteen. Miami's adjustment was to insert him into the starting lineup. He continued that production actually up that production, having twenty one in game six and twenty six tonight in game seven, Like, do you know how hard it is for like a Caleb Martin to go out and get twenty six in game seven? It's not easy to show up in game seven. We saw that, Like we see that and saw that from another perspective, and what he's done the entire series. He's been the X factor the entire series. Defending he hit JT with a couple moves a day. I'm like, yo, he's JT j T. He hit the one way, he went baseline, came out other side right before the third expired.
Speaker 1: Like, Caleb Martin looked really good.
Speaker 2: So I don't want to take nothing from Jimmy away, take anything away from Jimmy to give Caleb Martin his flowers, But Kayler Martin deserves his flowers showing up, stepping up to the challenge the way that he did, defensively offensively type of guy he is.
Speaker 1: He's guarding JT. He's guarden Jaylen.
Speaker 2: Brown like, so he's not only doing it on the offensive end, he's doing on the defensive end too. Oh the way, I think two of the games this series he had double doubles. So he's also rebound in the basketball and so very impressed with Kayler Martin's game to see him continue to play the way he's played.
Speaker 1: Duncan Robinson has shown up.
Speaker 2: Duncan Robinson is playing well, and I thought that was huge for them. Duncan Robinson had more lay ups this series then he probably had all year. I can vividly remember Duncan Robinson having eight lay ups this series, and I'm sure he had more, like I can vividly remember eight. Duncan Robinson was incredible. Now, if you are the Celtics, what do you do next year? That's gonna be the big question, right, big question is going to be, all man, do you get Jalen the extension that he's algia before?
Speaker 1: What do you do with that? Do you trade Jalen? Do you trade Smart? What do you do? Quite frankly, I'm not one.
Speaker 2: Of like just making like these decisions just because something don't go right, because quite frankly, it takes time to build a championship team. And what's this JT's fifth year, a six year for JT, seven year for Jalen Brown. Building a championship ain't easy. We won our first championship in Steph's fifth year, But like, do that really happen? Lebron won his first championship in year.
Speaker 1: Eight nine, you're nine.
Speaker 2: Michael Jordan won his first championship in year eight seven or eight. It takes time to win a championship with these guys, I personally do all I.
Speaker 1: Can to try to keep it together.
Speaker 2: Now, you got the new rules coming into place, second apron and all of that stuff, so those decisions will be that will factor into decisions. So you got the new rules coming in the place. But I think when you find some guys that you can get there with, which they have, then you have to find pieces that you can get it done with. So you found guys that you can get there with, now find pieces that's gonna help you get it done. And by the way, that may be a leader like that can be so many different things. It can be a couple role players. I like auto Porter, like Gary Payton, nay Manya be Elisa want to Auscano Anderson Damian League, like you're finding pieces that's helping you propel you. So I'm not one to just jump off a bandwagon and be like, oh no, you break it up, because you know how hard it is to put that back together and then actually get there again. It's a very hard thing to do, which is why most people don't get there, let alone win it. So I am not of I am not one that's always on that bandwagon. I've heard people like, oh, they need leadership, they don't have a leader. And quite frankly, here's the thing that I say to those people. Or they'll say like because they don't listen to al Horford, And I tell people, I actually think they do have a leader in al Horford. I actually think they do listen to al Horford. However, I think they get to a certain point to where our Horford can no longer say like A part of leading is also like speaking from experience, like experience it or experiencing things and knowing what to draw from to get through that situation. And Al Horfer has the same finals experiences that all of those guys have, so you get to a certain point, and like, if you don't have anything to draw from, then either your guys don't necessarily feel it when you're speaking that like from that perspective, or they see through it right Like And so I don't think Al Horfer's not a leader. I don't think they don't listen to Al Horfer. They get to a certain point and like that's where Al's experience stops. So if that's where his experience stops, then where do you draw from there? And so I think it's more that than they don't have a leader. But like I said, you figure it out through pieces. You don't figure it out by abandoning everything that you've had.
Speaker 1: I just don't think that's the way to go.
Speaker 2: Just a reminder, you can catch me recording this podcast live on amp. Amp is a new live radio app that lets you call in and chat with me in person while I'm recording. Get the app on Apple's app store and make sure to follow me at at Draymond Green to get.
Speaker 1: Notified when I go live.
Speaker 2: NBA Finals Nuggets versus Heat some interesting matchups in this one, I think, I mean obviously Bam starts on Joker. Unlike last series where Ad isn't quite as comfortable out on the floor, like out in space, Bam can guard guards. So with bamgarden guards, he would be very comfortable guarding Joker in space.
Speaker 1: So whereas Joker's advantage.
Speaker 2: Was in space in the last series at the top of the key in the mid post, actually operating in space, I think that's that's actually to.
Speaker 1: BAM's advantage this series.
Speaker 2: Jokers advantage this series against Bam would be to use his size, like get as deep posts, touches as you can get.
Speaker 1: You know, trying to.
Speaker 2: Use his size and physicality as an advantage versus Bam. Because in space, BAM's fast, he's strong, he's athletic, So I think in space Bam can win that He's not as as tall as Joker, he doesn't weigh as much as Joker. Joker plays like he plays off of contact. He don't necessarily play through contact. He plays off of contact. He looks for contact for rhythm, and like, you know, if he's posting you up and you're hitting, you know, and he's backing down and you're using a lot of force, he rolls off right like, so he he plays counteracts off of physicality, and so I think with that that would then allow him to use his nimbleness because if Bam is getting super physical to come back to size, now that allows Joker, whereas he's not fastest, Bam moves latterly like Bam. Now that allows because BAM's probably leaning in to use all of his force. Now that allows him to use all of his counters And so I think that'll be a fun matchup to watch. And then I also think with Bam handling the ball as much as he do, he pulls Joker out from the rim. And now you put Joker. They run a lot of handoff stuff with Bam for threes, with those guards chasing behind im, Joker's down the floor, that can call some issues if they now start running those things and it starts to cast some issues and now Jokers starts working up.
Speaker 1: Now you get Bam in the pocket. Bam flourishes in the pocket.
Speaker 2: So I think Bam can call some issues with his ball handling and pulling Joker away from the rim and then playmaking out of that.
Speaker 1: I think that that will.
Speaker 2: Be an advantage that Bam has would the Miami, He'd be able to capitalize on that. I think with Jamal Murray they won't start Jimmy on him. I think there will be times throughout this series where Jimmy will end up on Jamal Murray. But I definitely don't think you start Jimmy on Jamal Murray is that's your adjustment. It'll be interesting to see if they stick with the same starting lineup.
Speaker 1: Caleb Martin and the start lineup.
Speaker 2: He's been playing really well well and quite frankly, that allows him to guard Jamaal Murray, So I think we would definitely see some of that. I'll see see Gabe Vincent guarding KCP and Max Strus on Michael Porter Junior. That's an important matchup. And I'll tell you why. Michael Porter Jr. Is really important to the what the Denmer Nuggets does because it's the shooting that they need and Michael Porter Jr. Most people put small defenders on Michael Porter Jr. They put smaller defenders because he's very jump shot dominant. He sometimes gets to a spot and he just raises up over the smaller defenders. This easy shot for him be that Max Streuce is a little bigger in size. I think that helps them with Michael Porter Jr. Because you do have size, he can't just get to his spot and raise up. Max Shreuz is also a little stronger than most of the smaller guys that end up on Michael Porter Juir. So I think that's actual a very important matchup to watch both of those guys shoot the three who will shoot it better, they'll probably guard each other. That'll be an interesting one to watch. I think Jimmy will start on Aaron Gordon, which is which will allow Jimmy to play defense the way he plays get in the pass and lanes floating Rome a little bit. He'll have to be physical with Aaron Gordon, which Jimmy is a very physical guy. And so I think that that's that's another match up there to watch how Jimmy's handling the physicality. Which Jimmy will handle physicality, that's what Jimmy does, I also think. But I also I think on the other end, it'll be interesting to see. But I think KCP will probably start on Jimmy. KCP is a hound, KCP is physical, But maybe you do start if if you're starting Aaron Gordon on Jimmy, see my adjustment would be Aaron Gordon. Right, But if you start Aaron Gordon on Jimmy and that doesn't work, then you go to KCP. If Jimmy has his confidence rolling because he got going on Aaron Gordon, now he's going to post KCP. He's going to try to get KCP in there and use and use his shoulder, use his size against KCP. So my adjustment, my I would rather go KCP and my adjustment b Aaron Gordon. But it would be interesting to see how they match up with that. One thing interesting about Miami lineup rolling into this NBA Finals is Tyler Heroes coming back. Now that's a very dicey thing when you've missed the amount of time that Tyler Hero has and you've gotten the rhythm that the guys have gotten into.
Speaker 1: Duncan Robinson, Gabe, Vincent, Max Strews.
Speaker 2: Kyle Lowry, all the guys off the bench, Caleb Martin, like, all of those guys are in the rhythm. So if I'm to Miami heat, some of my friends was asking me, like, what do you do with Tyler Hero?
Speaker 1: Like do you not? Do you not?
Speaker 2: Do you not bring Tyler Hero back? What do you do with Tyler Hero? And I said for me personally, I would bring him back, like he's too talented not to bring back, But I wouldn't slot him into rotation.
Speaker 1: Why wouldn't I slot him into rotation?
Speaker 2: Well, again, remember all the guys that just spoke about having a rhythm. I don't want to mess with that rhythm. So what I'm going to save Tyler hero for is is when I need a spark, Like if I need a spark, say we go down one, Oh, we go down too? Oh, we need a spark. Tyler comes in, he gets it gone. That can change everything for you. But if you go Tyler roll and it doesn't go wrong, I mean, it doesn't go right. So then do you back out of it? And if you back out of it, then when do you go back? Can you go back? Do you go back? Because naturally you're gonna be like, well, the guys we were winning with were X, Y and Z, so now we're gonna go to them. But then when do you go back? So that's why I think does the score of the series matter to you?
Speaker 1: For that?
Speaker 2: Like if the heat are down on two versus if it's one to one, or if they happen to be up too. Oh, does that impact.
Speaker 1: You're thinking, if you're up too oh, you don't. You don't.
Speaker 2: If you up too oh, you don't mess with that. If you're down oh two, if you down oh two, you definitely mess with it. And if it's one one, you don't mess with it because one one mean you went on the road and did what you're supposed to do. You went on the road and won a game. You don't go on the road to win two, although they just did. You go on the road with the idea that we have to get one of these home court advantage. So if you're one one, I still don't mess with that. It's like once you get in a desperate situation where you're like, yo, we need we need a boost, we need a shift, and and and if we can't, if if we if we can't get this boost, let's try Tyler, because we know Tyler's in is an offense.
Speaker 1: He can come in the game and get it going.
Speaker 2: But I just don't think you mess with these guys rhythm like they just made it to the NBA Finals. You're gonna mess with the rhythm now, I personally don't think that's the right thing to do. So suit him up you're here now, Well, one second, suit them up, you're ready to go. You can get in, but I'm not sure we ain't going in. Then the question bec does Tyler Hero accept that? Because you run into those issues all the time in this league, does he accept that? If he doesn't accept that, Number one, it's just kind of tough not to accept that. You're in the NBA Finals. Man, you gotta do what you have to do to win the game. So for you, stay ready, stay ready. So I hope Tyler Hero accepts that. I hope that's what the Miami do in the Miami Heat do because I think that's what gives them the best chance of winning. You've rolled this far with the guys you've been rolling with. You don't reward those guys for helping you get to the NBA Finals with Oh, by the way, your minutes are getting cut short because we're now in the NBA Finals. Going to bring Tyler Hero back, which is cutting into your minutes, So you bring Hero back if stuff goes wrong, because at the end of the day, Tyler Hero is a huge reason why you are where you are. Although he hasn't been available from a lot of playoffs, he's a huge reason why you are where you are. Brother. You still commit it. I mean, you still produce and added value to us winning this championship. Without you, we would not be here. And I hope he can understand that. Sometimes it's hard for guys to understand that, let alone younger guys, but I hope he understand that. And you know, in winning a championship, there are times where people have to sacrifice, and if you can't sacrifice, you don't win. And I think that is the Miami he sacrificed that they're going to have to make. That's where things get dicey, That's where lines get blurred, and that's where you're going to need the sacrifice. And then it'll be important for Tyler Hero to do that. Miami he have a winning culture. I think they are more than capable of having those tough conversations and what's understood is understood there, so I think it all works out in the end. I really expect a big series from Jamal Murray. I really expect a big series from Joker before we get out of here. I think the thing that makes this series more interesting than most people would think is going to be is that both teams role players have played extremely well. Which role players will play better is that we'll see. But both teams role players leading up to this have played really well, and the team role players that plays better will ultimately will ultimately be the one who takes this series. I am quite frankly, I'm still like working through this and trying to figure it all out and like looking at these different matchups and stuff. So I'm not quite sure yet who I'm ready to go with to win this series, because I'm still dissecting and looking at this thing and that thing, like there are some things for me to look at and like possible adjustment, Like I haven't gotten an opportunity like look at okay, so if this happens, this adjustment needs to happening, like the chess match that goes on that can affect this series. I haven't necessarily gotten that opportunity yet. So whether I don't think we'll do another pop before game one, and so if we don't, which I'm almost certain we won't, I will make sure I get you you all a prediction on who I think will win this series, even if it just have to go on Draymonds Show Instagram and it just be a social hit. I'll make sure I get you all a prediction before the series start. Mark my word, I'm a man of it. I got you until next time. Congratulations to the Miami Heat. Congratulations to the Denver Nuggets or advances to the NBA Finals. So Celtics fans, especially those of you that are in that arena until next time. That's a rap beast, m