Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is Girls Talk Boys Talk presented by Jigsaw Dating, preferred dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys, and broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World Headquarters at the Star.
Speaker 2: Welcome into another Tuesday edition of Girls Talkboys Talk presented by Jigsaw, the preferred dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys. Hailey sat Naisha Morrison, Jess Navarez. Before we dive into this, I want to give a huge shout out as we get started to my girl Jess.
Speaker 3: Oh, naturally, I sound terrible.
Speaker 2: I got hit with the flu on Christmas Day, so it has been a miserable week to say the least. And then my flu morphed into laryngitis. So I am recovering from laryngitis. And Jess, last minute, y'all, last minute, I text her and I'm like, we need someone to do the flashback show on Monday. Can you get up here and do it? Just at flashback? She crushed it, y'all. It aired on Valley yesterday.
Speaker 3: We're getting it up on YouTube, so go check it out. And then and then y'all, it gets better.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, then five or I guess.
Speaker 2: It was more like a couple hours before we needed someone else to also do press conference live, and I said, just no pressure, Uh do you want to do this? And just is like when and where I'll do it. She crushed that Mickey had very nice things to say about your show yesterday.
Speaker 4: So so nice, Jasey Q.
Speaker 2: The applause for Jess Navarres stepping in, pinch hitting. So happy to have someone step in while I'm sick.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'd like to just say thank you like it is.
Speaker 5: It is so amazing to work with people, and you specifically that just has this energy that always wants to see other people to succeed and thrive. And it's not there's not a lot of people in this world that think that success can go any which way. There's a lot of selfish people that want the success for only themselves. So you said other people up for success. Me, I've experienced it. Ayisha's experienced everybody that comes in contact with the experience.
Speaker 4: Is it so we love you?
Speaker 3: Hating you guys starting to sounds.
Speaker 4: So good today, Like I just want to say yesterday yesterday I was like this, she called me oh like that.
Speaker 6: I wouldn't expect that when she came.
Speaker 4: When I answered her phone call, I was like hello.
Speaker 3: Like the ghost of me.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's been it's been a it's been a rough week, but I appreciate just stepping in. Kyle has stepped in a couple of times to do it, so it's obviously a team effort. But I wouldn't be here with.
Speaker 3: Without you guys.
Speaker 2: So really excited to get back on track, Really excited to talk a little bit of cowboys. Unfortunately, we kind of have to shift the uh energy just to kind of stay up to date with everything that's been happening with Bill's safety tomorrow, Hamlin. It's obviously something that we've been watching all day long.
Speaker 3: All the media outlets.
Speaker 2: Are speaking about it, and rightfully so, so I do want to start our off just by saying number one, like we are wishing the best.
Speaker 3: I think I speak for all of us when.
Speaker 2: I say I was glued to Twitter, glued to all of the major outlets last night, you know, just praying for an update, praying that this young man was okay. So really scary stuff that I kind of just want to surround table talk before we get into that though. I want to read the very latest on him. It's actually interesting. It's up on NFL Network right now as well. The family has released a statement. The NFL also released a statement about the game that it will not be rescheduled. There's no decision, according to the NFL, regarding the possible resumption of a game at a later date.
Speaker 3: That, of course, though, is not the story.
Speaker 2: The story is DeMar Hamlin, this guy who is really fighting for his life when into cardiac arrest, had to be resuscitated.
Speaker 3: On the field.
Speaker 2: And I can't imagine what those guys on the field experienced yesterday. I can't imagine when anyone at that game experienced yesterday. And it's one of those things that really makes you put everything in perspective.
Speaker 7: Yeah, definitely took a step back and reevaluate it. Just I think it gives everyone an opportunity to kind of reevaluate how.
Speaker 6: We look at this game.
Speaker 7: I will say, on this Yere podcast, this one right here, we constantly harp how much these gentlemen are human, and how important their lives after this game are and things of that nature. So to see the overwhelmed, overwhelming response to what's happening is a lot of reflection, and it was. It was definitely scary me and just we're talking about it this morning.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it's a realization that nobody ever wants to have in that way that these players are human, and it's something that we say day to day, but you really don't understand the magnitude of that until something like this happens, and this tragedy, you know, it's what it is. It's it's tragic for him, it's tragic for everybody that had to be there and see their brother, their teammate, their son in that state on the field. And I just can't streuss it in that, you know, going forward, I hope that everybody keeps that same mindset with these players. They are human all the time. Whether they're playing football, whether they're driving, whether they're doing anything. They are human. And I think the one thing that has come out of this that just speaks volumes is the amount of generosity of people donating to his toy drive.
Speaker 4: Last I checked, it was it three million.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was keeping up with it throughout the day and once it kind of crossed that three million, Yeah, Yeah, it's incredible really just to see how a community can rally together in that regard. I want to read the update from his family, and I wanted to say too before I read this. This is one of those situations. It reminded me a lot of when the helicopter crash with Kobe Bryant and GG Bryant happened, and so many people were pulling the trigger and trying to report what was happening. So I really have been doing my best just to make sure that the information that I'm retaining and sharing is coming from you know, direct source. This is the statement that came from the family of Damar Hamlin.
Speaker 3: It reads on behalf of our family.
Speaker 2: We want to express our sincere gratitude for the love and support shown to Tamar during this challenging time. We are deeply moved by the prayers, kind words, and donations from fans across the country. We also want to acknowledge the dedicated first responders and healthcare professionals at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center who have provided exceptional care to Dumar. We feel so blessed to be a part of the Buffalo Bills organization and to have their support. We also want to thank coach Taylor and the Bengals for everything they've done. Your generosity and compassion mean the world to us. They ended it with saying, please keep Damar in your prayers. Will release updates as soon as we have them. Of course, the last update we got is that he was in critical condition. He has had a incubator put in to help him breathe, but he did suffer cardiac arrest on the field yesterday, so it really just puts a lot into perspective. I was really really proud of the guys this morning on Talking Cowboys because I feel like this is one of those situations that is so incredibly hard to navigate. I was talking to Marcell, my boyfriend, last night, and one of the things we talked about is like, this business is so fun until it's not. And the reason why we all get into sports is to cover the fun stuff, to cover the games, to get to know these players, to share their stories. And I thought, you know, obviously, last night the ESPN crew did incredible. That is a situation that was unprecedented, and they navigated it very well, specifically Lisa Salters, who was on the ground reporting. You want to talk about a role model, Lisa Salters did it. Scott Van Pelt did a magnificent job, Ryan Clark, Booker, McFarlane, that whole crew, Susie and Adam Schefter, so really hats off to them. But I thought in house, and this is only because I listened to the Talking Cowboys podcast this morning, I thought Patrick and Kyle and Isaiah did such a phenomenal job of carrying on that same energy of talking about the motions of at Isaiah sharing a lot of personal stuff, Patrick really sharing some emotional stuff, and Kyle navigating that conversation. I thought that everyone has done a really good job speaking today, but that one really stood out. So it's it's difficult. It's one of those things in sports that you never want to see. As we mentioned, it's unprecedented, but we obviously extend our thoughts, our prayers, our condolences to Hamlin, to his family. I'll close it out with whatever you guys, if you guys want to add anything else, and then we'll take our first break and transition to Cowboys.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I just want to say we're all better when we come together.
Speaker 5: And I think the amount of prayers and love that is just being sent to DeMar through Twitter, even online, through media outlets. Is just so incredible to see and it's powerful, y'all when people come together and do not separate, and they come together for a bigger purpose than themselves. In this case, it's you know, somebody's life that could have been, you know, tragically taken away doing something he loved and in that fashion, just so suddenly just hug somebody you love today, tell them you love them.
Speaker 4: Never take any moment for granted. You just unfortunately never know what can happen.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and lastly, I just wanted to add that I know the NFL's come out and even talked about doing going above and beyond for the mental health care of every NFL team. If you have players that are affected or were affected by what they see they saw obviously the Bills players and the Bengals players that were there on site that had to witness that I've personally seen obviously being a service member, just seeing something similar in those ways and understanding that in those moments they stick with you like it sticks with you.
Speaker 6: And so I just think it's.
Speaker 7: Important that the NFL's offered that and that these guys, if you do need help, that you reach out, that you reach out and it's okay to reach out in this situation, and I just wanted.
Speaker 2: To say that, yeah, and I know, like you said, a lot of outlets have provided those resources online to the players who need it. And I also, so I know you touched on this that we speak a lot about the players on this podcast and how this is a player's first business.
Speaker 3: It should be that's how we treat it.
Speaker 2: But I think it's important to note as we wrap up that it's times like this where you really appreciate a Mike McCarthy, who you know has done so much for you know, how he takes care of his players. We obviously didn't get a chance to speak to him today. I imagine, you know, we'll hear a little bit tomorrow just on his thoughts if he speaks. But it's just one of those times where you appreciate that the Mike McCarthy's, the Zach Taylor's, the Sean mcdermots who really stopped and they said no, you know so I think that that is very important. I think it's really good that everyone is having these conversations, Jess. Like you said, so again, we will continue to think of tomorrow. We will continue to stay updated and keep you guys up to the minute on that. But we just wanted to open the show and just talk a little bit about the importance of these players being people first. With that being said, we're going to talk about the Cowboys players on the other side of the break. We're going to talk a little bit of that Titans game since it's been such a long time since we've seen it, and a possible clinching of the NFC East. We will discuss the scenarios when we return on Girls Talkboys Talk, presented by Jigsawdating.
Speaker 8: At Jigsaw Dating, we obviously want the Cowboys to bring that sixth ring home, but to be honest, we're more focused on finding the person.
Speaker 3: Who will put a ring on your finger.
Speaker 8: That's why we created a dating app that reveals your face through meaningful conversation so you can date deeper, because it's personality that matters the most, not looks. Join Jigsaw Dating Today, Dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 10: All right, PEPSI, loving football fans, it's time we had a lesson in trash talk. And I'm not talking about that stuff that happens on the field.
Speaker 11: What I'm talking about is trash and it's the only thing that belongs in your garbage can. Now, recycling might not be as thrilling as converting up fourth and long. But next time you're thinking about throwing that Pepsi zero sugar bottle away, happen back up and pretend you're down by six with a recycling bin wide open. Know the difference, make a difference, be a team player, and recycle. Visit Pepsi trash talk dot com to learn more.
Speaker 9: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they snapped.
Speaker 4: The preshcout who looks white. It's not there. He escapes left. He'll look pull a Pustyn.
Speaker 9: Just like football. When it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 10: Prescott's gonna run this him show, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 9: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered. What are you waiting for? Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Girls Talk, Good Lord, Welcome back to Girls Talk, Boys Talk, presented by Saw, the preferred dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys. I'm gonna pass it over to Jess immediately.
Speaker 4: Oh, I got you.
Speaker 5: Let's talk NFL Fan of the Year because, because oh my goodness, James Wright is your twenty twenty two Cowboys Fan of the Year. James brings the spice to every Dallas Cowboys game and now needs your help to bring him to the super Bowl. Vote for James to be the ultimate title of the NFL Fan of the Year presented by Captain Morgan by casting your vote at NFL dot com slash Fan of the Year. Go help our guy James out.
Speaker 2: Yeah he's he's a great guy. I've never met him, but I've seen all the videos of him.
Speaker 3: He is, Uh he looks fun.
Speaker 2: You good?
Speaker 7: Huh?
Speaker 3: Did she just squeak?
Speaker 6: I got chills.
Speaker 5: She was the thought of James winning Fan of the That's like, yeah, that's electrifying.
Speaker 3: I got color. Oh goodness.
Speaker 2: Uh, let's talk a little Dallas Cowboys because I feel like we haven't had an opportunity to talk Dallas Cowboys. It's been so long since this team has taken the field. It's really been you know, we had an abbreviated locker room yesterday, but not a ton of availability. But we will get into who was in there in a minute. But as we know, the Cowboys are officially twelve and four after beating Tennessee twenty seven to thirteen on Thursday Night Football. It wasn't a pretty game, guys, Like we know, we know the interceptions are still happening. We know that the defense is still trying to figure it out. But there were a lot of positives coming from that game. The big one is that the NFC East is still wide open thanks to the the Eagles.
Speaker 3: The Eagles decided they wanted to make this one fun. They didn't want to take the.
Speaker 2: Easy route, which that's fine, it's fine, like whatever, it's fine. They lost to the Saints on Sunday, So I it was so funny. I was in Knick's office kind of chatting about this earlier, just talking about the scenarios in which the Cowboys can win. So as it stands right now, Philadelphia is in first place of the East at thirteen and three, Dallas is in second at twelve and four.
Speaker 3: And as we know, the Giants are at nine.
Speaker 2: And six and one all three of those teams are in the playoffs. The Commanders, however, are not. They are out seven eight and one, but I imagine this will still be a pretty competitive game for them coming up on Sunday. So just a lot to talk about from that Thursday night game, in particular the world. Like I said, there were a lot of positives. Cowboys won, the defense I feel like is kind of figuring it out. Yeah, yeah, But I just want to open up the four to you guys. What it's been a minute, But what stands out to you about that Tennessee game? You know, with that twenty seven thirteen win.
Speaker 5: O him, oh, I guess it. Okay, Sorry, somebody passed by and it was like squirrel.
Speaker 4: Sorry.
Speaker 5: What stood out to me was, you know, I think when it comes to style points, like everybody keeps referencing for this game, what does it matter?
Speaker 4: A win is a win? Is a win?
Speaker 5: Is a win is a win? The Cowboys went out there, was it pretty No? But y'all, if you were playing three games in twelve days, would you go out there and win for style points?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 5: Those guys had been going and going and going for twelve days straight. And yes, we talk about the physical part of playing those games, but the mental part of having to change your game plan three times in a row there and oh I have to go after this guy. Oh wait, no, the next game's here, this guy. Three games in twelve days, that's a lot for these guys, and so I was just happy to see them pull off the win, you know, and keep their potential taking over the NFC East dreams alive. I mean, really, that's they had one job, it was to go out there and win, and they've been doing that. So anytime you have a team that can win twelve games in the season, that's in the past seasons, it's impressive. Since nineteen ninetyour nineteen ninety five, that's the last time that the Cowboys did that. But yeah, look, I'm I'm happy for them. I think they deserved this mini by if you will.
Speaker 7: Oh, absolutely, And I wanted to add on to what you said in regard to just how much it was for them, Like game planning wise, Dobbs wasn't listed as the starter until that day, so just having to prepare for multiple quarterbacks and stuff like, hopefully that pays dividends to them late for them later.
Speaker 6: But two positives that took from this game.
Speaker 7: Defensively, I heard Dan Quinn talk about it Yeshay in his press conference, is that he feels that he's starting to get a better handle on that secondary rotation, which looks like it's gonna be Trayvon Diggs, Na Shaun Wright and or Doron Bland, and so that rotation, getting some steadiness, getting better in communication is going to be very important moving forward because you're going to be going against some of these great quarterbacks. But then also on the defensive side of the ball, I really felt like the d Lin's energy, specifically Tank and Bo and those guys.
Speaker 6: You could tell that they were just up for this game.
Speaker 7: And even though as the game went on you could see some of the wear set in, I was still pleased with the energy from the defense moving forward. And offensively, they can pass the ball when they need to, and that's a big deal. Like this last couple of games, Kellen Moore has shown that if the run game is not completely there, they're not afraid for Dak to go beat you in that way. And even though we don't want that consistently, just there are potential situations that you're going to run into in the playoffs where you're going to have to do that and moving forward, I think that's healthy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to stick with the defense because I think that it has been I know, for me, it's been really frustrating and I try not to listen to the outside noise, very similar to like how the players talk, but it's been very frustrating just to you know, when you think about where this team started defensively and where they've kind of gone. I know that there's no excuses in the grand scheme of things, because football is football. Everybody's tough, and everybody's dealing with their own personal issues within their franchise. But when you think about what this defense has been through, I mean, you lost Jordan Lewis, you lost Anthony Brown, the I mean, the injuries have just racked up and racked up and racked up everywhere across the board. Layton Vanderash We didn't know how important Laden vander Ash was until we lost him, and Allison is like, we need.
Speaker 3: Layton Vandash back.
Speaker 2: Jonathan Hankin, Yeah, Jonathan Hankins has been Brown, Anthony Like, I mean, you could just go on and on and on about the guys who have been out and short, like have they been elite the way they were at the beginning of the season.
Speaker 3: No, I think it's fair to say that.
Speaker 2: But but what drives me not and again like it's all about like not listening to the outside noise. What drives me nuts is like you have to be able to look at the now and you have to be able to recognize, like, this is what this team is doing with what they have and a player who and you're gonna love this, a player who I have been really impressed with over.
Speaker 3: The last couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: Have tried to subtly tweet about it, But Donovan Wilson, to me, is the MVP of this defense without a doubt. I am upset that he is not a Pro bowler this year. I am upset that he is not getting more attention than what he has because that man, the way he plays back there, he's like a linebacker but not you know what I.
Speaker 6: Mean, That's what he is.
Speaker 2: And it's just insane when you think about the numbers that he's putting up, Like I was looking at him this week and what he did and he had a sack for a loss of five yards, a QB hurry and a TfL Donovan Wilson, Like, this is not DeMarcus Lawrence we're talking about. This is not Michael Parsons. This is Donovan Wilson. Did you're talking about his fifth one?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 3: His fifth? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Fits sack this year. He leads the NFL in safeties with sacks. This year also tied with Bill Bates with the most sacks in a season by a Cowboy safety since nineteen eighty two. So the things that he's been able to do at that safety position is such a luxury because I'm not really sure that there's a guy playing the way he's playing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right now, how much of a luxury is he? You know what I mean?
Speaker 7: Oh, he's a luxury just in general. The safety is in the way that dan Quinn is able to use them, but Donovan in particular and what he does in the box and helping stop the run, but really just he sets the tone in such a way earlier in games when he comes down and he's dumping people.
Speaker 6: It's like, okay, everybody has to play like that.
Speaker 7: And I think that dan Quinn said that he's like the thermostat, and that's clear. But for Donovan, and I'm actually very happy for him because staying healthy has been the thing for him, and he's stayed healthy this season and contributed, and I want to say, hey, this is the first season he's been fully healthy in a very long time, and being on the field has allowed him to show people what he's capable of and for people to see who he is. This is a big year for him. This is a big year for him moving forward. And I'm glad that dan Quinn was able to get in here and utilize him in all the ways that I think a lot of us expected for him to be utilized when he was drafted.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and just going through his stats from twenty nineteen to twenty twenty two, again keep in mind there were some injuries here and there with all of that, but the jump he has made in twenty twenty two is so phenomenal, so undeniable. I mean, ninety seven combined tackles this season so far and it's not even over, so one more week at the regular seven meal, And something I did want to mention was seven tackles for loss. Donovan Wilson has been so key in making sure that those offenses are staying behind the chains because we've seen that when you have an offense in a first second down situation, you can keep pushing them back and they have to go third and long. That is when this defense is so success and they're thriving. Don Van Wilson has been an absolute beast in that component of the defense right there. So flowers to Donna because oh my goodness, it's just it's amazing to see these players take a jump and what they'll do when the culture is right for them and when things feel right for them and they're bought into it and they're just they're feeling it.
Speaker 4: So Donna is a perfect example of that.
Speaker 5: I think.
Speaker 3: I agree. He's like a rocket.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's what I say. That's the best le to describe him.
Speaker 7: His speed, Like, I don't know if his like run his speed shows how fast he looks on on film. I would actually have to go back and look at like what his forty was, but it just when he's flying around, he looks faster than everybody else.
Speaker 6: He's our baby Cam Chansler.
Speaker 3: I'm googling his forty time because I know I'm I.
Speaker 7: Definitely want to know because some guys look fast on film and then some guys like just run fast.
Speaker 6: Or vice versa.
Speaker 3: Okay, here we go.
Speaker 2: Uh oh, he did not run a forty at the combine business.
Speaker 3: I know he did not run a body, So that's that.
Speaker 4: Never mind.
Speaker 7: Well, no, no, no, I am glad that you brought him up, though, I really am. I'm glad that you brought him up because he's helped so much in this run defense and trying to improve and get better, and just having the versatility of him being able to come down in a big nickel is helped his defense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, part I think he's I think he has been tremendous. I've also been incredibly impressed with Naseean Wright back to back weeks where he has led the team in solo tackles, but just to get that first interception. I think it's been really cool just to see his development. You know, he's been inactive on and off throughout the beginning of the season and then stepping in when it mattered most.
Speaker 3: I think going into the game.
Speaker 2: Last week, prior to the Titans, he was a little bit shaky, you know, just trying to find his footing. But I like how he finished and I really enjoyed how he played last week. He just played with a lot of confidence and you guys know, I love when these guys are going out there and they play with a lot of confidence. So he gets his first career interception, he also had to pass break up, So I think he is a really been a surprise.
Speaker 6: He's a smart guy. He's a smart guys.
Speaker 7: It's he's even made some plays like clock management wise, just keeping guys out of bounds or keeping them from get out of bounds and stuff.
Speaker 6: But he's just I really like also too.
Speaker 7: And this is something we've been seeing lately with dron Bland and with Naseean. Right, these guys are not afraid to come up and tackle in the run and that's giving you a lot of support.
Speaker 6: Naean.
Speaker 7: Even if he misses, there's something he's gonna come up, but he's gonna tackle. He's physical and he played injured a lot of that game too. I know Christy talked to us about it the other day, but he did. And for him to tough it out and finish, you're gonna need him. You're gonna need him, and you're also gonna need him to be confident like you're just talking about, and confident in what he's doing. And he's seeming like the wheels are starting to turn for him.
Speaker 5: A couple of things I wanted to mention, going back to Donovan Wilson real quick, he is in fact a free agent at the end of the season, so Wilson earning his contract, it would seem, so I just wanted to point that out.
Speaker 4: I thought for sure, I thought he was, but I wanted to double.
Speaker 5: Check before I spit out some facts. I don't want to give y'all any incorrect information on here. But going back to Naseeon, right, I think what people don't realize about the cornerback position is how difficult that position is because obviously you're going to give up yards. That is just the nature of the position. But he has shown growth, and he's shown exponential growth in the last couple of weeks when really, I mean there's no there's no other option for him. It was a real make or break type situation and he's making it and he is doing the best to his ability, and he's being impactful. So really, all I can ask for a guy like Naean Wright who's stepping in there in that position that desperately needed the help to make that defense have their fear back in them and feeling and feeling fully confident. I really respect what he's doing and I'm excited to continue to see him growing.
Speaker 2: I think it's also important to note that the defense will hopefully be getting a boost in the next couple of games. The biggest one standing out to me this upcoming Sunday is getting Laton van Dersh back. He spoke in the locker room yesterday and he has pretty much given himself a full good guy yeah, and he's he's pretty confident that he's ready to come back. Of course, he's been dealing with that pinched nerve in his neck slash shoulder, so obviously, especially with someone who has dealt with neck and spinal injuries in the past, important to take the time you need to recover for that.
Speaker 3: But he is pretty confident that he'll come back.
Speaker 2: And kind of, like I mentioned at the top of this, you never realize sometimes how important some of these guys are because they're like quiet leaders. You know, I've been saying that about DeMarcus Lawrence for the last couple of games. You know, he's your vocal leader on the defense. To Marcus Lawrence is but some of the stuff that he's been doing in the drenches has been really impressive. He might not be lighting up the stat sheet the way we're used to, but he's done some really impressive stuff. I feel the same way about Layton Vandersh and the season that he was having. But I think you never wish injury on a player, but I think it took that injury for a lot of people to go like wow, like he is actually incredibly necessary for the Cowboy's defense.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's so smart.
Speaker 7: He's like Leyton is such a smart player, a cerebral player, and getting guys lined up the right way. You know, even last this last game, I felt like you might have could have used them because the way that the way that the Titans were lining up and doing stuff in their linement and stuff like, you could have used the Layton telling your guy to telling telling Bow to move over a little bit or angle a little better, because he does that like he sees things before. And I am actually thrilled to see he and Damont Clark maybe get some opportunity with how well he reads. Plus Damon's speed could definitely help out with some of these edge runs and some of the stuff that people are doing to you. And I'm excited because they talked about earning the pass rush, and what you're starting to see is the Cowboys have gotten better with their run defense as of late, but if they can hamper down for sure and then put people in long passing positions could open up things even more so. Hoping for that run defense to get even better than what it's already improved to be, because it's gotten better as the season's going on, and let's get it.
Speaker 6: Let's get it.
Speaker 4: I'm excited for like pucking me up.
Speaker 6: I'm like I was one.
Speaker 2: Of those people, yeah, right, because you're like, you know, you don't recognize the impact that he's making until all of the sudden he's not there. And I mean I feel like that you can you can say that about why Anthony Brown, I think is another example of that to where like Anthony Brown definitely didn't get enough credit until all of a sudden, it was it was Calvin Joseph for Buss for a minute, and then we were like Terrence.
Speaker 6: I mean Terrence too.
Speaker 5: I was like Terrence No, I think as far as lve E, I mean, he is somebody that I think when the contract negotiations came up at the beginning of the season.
Speaker 4: Everyone was so.
Speaker 5: Quick to be like a one year contract for Lve. Why you know, and this is why, because again you want to talk about another free agent Lve. He is earning his next contract uh this season with the amount of production that he has had. What's kind of jarring to me is comparing his twenty eighteen, his rookie season to now. I feel like, you know, had this injury not occurred, he would have had similar stats at the end of the regular season, which is interesting to say because he was already let's see, he had one hundred and forty combined tack combined tackles in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 4: He was at ninety pre injury, So you're telling me with.
Speaker 5: A few weeks that he was averaging as many tackles as he was, he would have been pretty close to his rookie season.
Speaker 4: He already was.
Speaker 5: In twenty eighteen, he had two tackles for loss, in twenty twenty two he had four. Already actually had no sacks in twenty eighteen. He had won so far this season, So I'm very excited for Layton van der USh. I think when you see a player get a pulse like this again in kind of a new found energy. I want to say that this new energy that Layton has is even better than rookie season energy from Layton van Rush, who was howling and had the whole stadium howling back in twenty eight.
Speaker 3: But I love that.
Speaker 4: What I love it is that it's back.
Speaker 5: It's back when Layton was making plays at and T State and people were howling again. And I love that for him. He deserves that, he deserves that spotlight from the fans. So go Layton. I can't wait to see him come back. And credit to the mentorship he's given to Monk Clark because a lot of things that you're seeing from Demonk Clark Leyton Vanderish is still working with him behind the curtains here and not only with the football mind but the returning from injury kind of mindset as well. And I think that's so important to give Lateon credit that you know, Damon can kind of lean on him with that better shit veteran leadership to navigate returning from an injury as you know, severe as they had in the neck area there as well.
Speaker 4: So interesting.
Speaker 3: See.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when I talked to Timo and I did a feature with him earlier in the season, and that was one of the things that he talked about was, you know, it was easy to confine in someone like Layton because not only do they play the same position, but they have the same injury a very similar way of finding out as well. So that's always been something that I always think about. They kind of go and handom and you'll see it too, Like I love whenever I'm editing some of these pieces and I get to go through and I get to look at all of the video that all of our team shoots, like Alex when he's doing sounds of the Sideline, and my favorite clips are always the ones where again Alex shoots these and they're on the bench and it's Leyton and Damon and they're sitting on the bench, and the way that Layton is like mentoring and it's it's not like a I'm the I'm the leader, I'm the older guy, like I'm telling you how it is.
Speaker 3: It's very much like Layton is late.
Speaker 2: Back sharing his experiences with Damon and Demon's like, yeah, he's always in yeah, yeah, because he loves learning. And that's one of my favorite things about Demon too, like for him to be a rookie and to absorb the information that he has. He was on Cowboys Hour with us a couple of weeks ago, and I should have back to them.
Speaker 3: I'm like, bro, like what's your motivation?
Speaker 2: Like what keeps you, you know, so locked in all the time. And he's like, well, I'm not at my best yet, Like I'm not at my best, So like why would I not continue to learn it and be the best I can be if I'm not at my best? And I I love that energy from Demoon. I think that this defense has been banged up. They've really done the best with what they've had over the last couple of weeks.
Speaker 3: There's still some issues.
Speaker 2: I mean, they gave up three hundred and seventeen total net yards to Tennessee Titans, who weren't playing their starters, no Derick Henry, and that we have to keep that as a factor when you talk about that Tennessee Titans team.
Speaker 3: They had three turnovers. The penalties were down.
Speaker 2: Though three about thirty five yards. Yeah, so the penalties were down. They only gave up ninety seven net rushing yards. So a lot of positives to talk about, but still some things to work on that I'm sure, dan Quinn is going to address later this week, Let's go ahead and take.
Speaker 3: Our second break.
Speaker 2: When we come back, we're going to talk about the Cowboys offense, what went well from them in that Titans game, and how they can improve going into the final game of the regular season. This is Girls Talk Boystok presented by Jigsaw Dating.
Speaker 8: At Jigsaw Dating, we obviously want the Cowboys to bring that sixth ring home, but to be honest, we're more focused on finding the person who will put a ring on your finger.
Speaker 3: That's why we.
Speaker 8: Created a dating app that reveals your face through meaningful conversation so you can date deeper, because it's personality that matters the most, not looks. Join Jigsaw Dating today, dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 10: All right, Pepsi loving football fans, it's time we had a lesson in trash talk. And I'm not talking about that stuff that happens on the field. What I'm talking about is trash and it's the only thing that belongs in your garbage can. No, recycling might not be as thrilling as converting up fourth and long, but next time you're thinking about throwing that Pepsi zero.
Speaker 11: Sugar bottle away. Just cap it back up and pretend you're down by six with a recycling bin white open. Know the difference, make a difference, be a team player in recycle. Visit Pepsi trash talk dot com to learn more.
Speaker 12: It's Smoothie King's original Angel Food and New Angel Food Slim without added Sugar. You no longer have to choose between treating yourself and hitting your goals this summer. You don't have to choose between great taste and feeling great because that's Smoothie. Every blend is made with whole fruits and no syrups, so you can satisfy your cravings without compromise. The only choice you will need to make is which one is best for you to our classic Angel Food or the New Angel Food Slim Blended without added sugar. Smoothie King Rule the Day.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Girls Talk, Boys Talk, presented by Jigsaw, the preferred dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys. We're going to spend the last couple of minutes talking about the Cowboys offense, but we're going to spend the next few seconds listening to Jess Well.
Speaker 5: This is how we Country Country Music's Party of the year is coming to the Ford Center at the Star in Frisco. The Academy of Country Music Awards are always bringing you country music's biggest stars together under one roof. And no one does country like Texas.
Speaker 4: Yeeha. Witness History May eleventh. Get your tickets at SEK dot com. I was tying to put that ye.
Speaker 3: I don't know why, ul ol, but immediately.
Speaker 7: Not ready for this is how we country like Stepbrothers.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's what I thought about immediately is.
Speaker 4: Here is how we country? How was I supposed to say it?
Speaker 7: The only way I can say those words like this is how it's gonna be, So say it like that.
Speaker 4: No, next time, I'll say it.
Speaker 6: Like that, just just how I heard it. I'm sorry, I'm trying.
Speaker 4: To see when we have that read again, because I'm gonna say it like that.
Speaker 6: Better not lie, Please don't.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Well, I didn't mean we're gonna quickly pivot away from country.
Speaker 3: This is how we country.
Speaker 2: We're gonna pivot back to the Dallas Cowboys offense that put up twenty seven points against the Tennessee Titans Dak Prescott twenty nine of forty one, which we're gonna get into twenty nine to forty one for two hundred and eighty two yards, two touchdowns, two interceptions, one of which was not his fault, but the other one was.
Speaker 6: I'm over them.
Speaker 7: You know, he's just having that year like he just he just he he like on a like a huge scale links it like ranks it like the bottom of the league. Ever, and how many interceptions he throwing.
Speaker 2: So this year is just like, yeah, it's gonna happen, Yeah, it's uh here, Here's what I don't like about it is that I'm not discrediting I'm not discrediting Dak's ability. I've said this over and over again on this podcast. I'm not discrediting his ability. I'm not discrediting the way he's played. I think he's been phenomenal when you think about everything else that's come into play.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 3: But the problem is is now, when.
Speaker 2: You're facing a Dak Prescott, you are facing a quarterback that you can almost guarantee will throw at least one interception in a game.
Speaker 1: Ye.
Speaker 2: And I was talking to Nate Newton about this on Thursday. I always watched the game in the away games with the guys in the studio, and I love it because I get so much insight from him and Nate and Isaiah and Barry and Kyle when he's in there too. And I was talking to Nate about it, and Nate said, I said this eight weeks ago when he came back and he was, you know, getting back in the groom and the interceptions started happening.
Speaker 3: I said this eight weeks ago.
Speaker 2: You don't want to become that quarterback that is expected to throw interceptions, because what starts happening is is now these guys are jumping you, or now these guys are reading how you're reading and being able to pick you off maybe a little bit easier because they know that at some point in the game you're gonna throw an interception.
Speaker 3: And so I have said this time and time again on this podcast.
Speaker 2: Dak Prescott, if you're listening to me, please please figure it out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know what's interesting? Please that got me thinking. I went back, and I'm here on my favorite website. I just I always like to go back and reference things. Twenty sixteen, Dak Prescott's rookie year, he had four interceptions, but then twenty seventeen he had thirteen. That's only one less than what he has right now at fourteen. Another high interception rate twenty nineteen with eleven and then twenty twenty one with ten. Something to note though, every single time Dak Prescott has had a playoff appearance, there's been at least one interception in those games. So it needs to stop, obviously, But what also I think needs to improve to make it better. Because it's one thing to say, oh, Dax stop doing that. No's let's dissect it a little bit, because it's not fair to say all fourteen of those are on deck pressure.
Speaker 4: We know that we dissect that every week.
Speaker 5: I think silly mistakes need to stop happening as well, whether it's ball security, miscommunication, all of those things that we've been talking about for weeks. Those things need to be secured first and foremost, and then yes, figure out what is going on with the ones that are deck's fall you know, maybe misreading things, his eyes not being in the right spot, whatever the issue is.
Speaker 2: They forcing the ball into double coverage.
Speaker 5: Correct, they need to lock down on what it is and fix it. But just something to note there. I thought that was that was interesting. The twenty seventeen season, he had thirteen interceptions, right now he has fourteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I will say, like I said, he's not a bad quarterback. Like I know that we know and most of the people in this industry know that Dak Prescott's not a bad quarterback. He's fifth in the NFC in passing with sixty nine point two completion percentage, that's good for second in the NFL. And he's third in touchdown percentage in the NFL.
Speaker 3: So this is a guy who knows what he's doing.
Speaker 2: He's got twenty two touchdowns this year, which is impressive given that he's done that in eleven games, when the rest of these guys have had, you know, seventeen games up until this point. So I think that it's really important to note. But to me, and I will say this again and again and again, t y over OBJ all day every day. When you talk about wanting the whole conversation surrounding OBJ was that we wanted to bring in a guy who was going to make an immediate impact. We wanted to bring in a guy who was going to have explosive play, who was going to be a difference maker, who was going to draw some of the coverage away from Ceedee Lamb. And you have to make a decision on where you're going to put your coverage. T Y Hilton has had five catches in a Dallas Cowboys uniform, three of which, I'm sorry, four of which have been for third down. Have been for third down. In this last game alone, he had in the first quarter a third and five catch for seven yards, second quarter, third and three, a catch for twelve yards. In the second quarter again first and ten, a three yard catch didn't really matter, but in the third quarter he had a third and ten for twenty eight yards. I do not think that there is a player who understands the assignment more than what t Y Hilton does. And again we're not surprised because he told us, and he tells us every week, But.
Speaker 3: I just don't know.
Speaker 2: It makes me I want to be in the room when these guys in the front office are making these decisions, and I really want to know, like, did y'all know, Like did y'all really really really know that t Y Hilton was going to come in here and be a difference maker like this?
Speaker 7: Now I wonder Like I was listening to Jerry earlier and he was like, we jumped right on him as soon as we knew he was available, and I know there's probably other teams in the NFL that are kicking themselves because this Ty right here look like you know, his legs are fine, like, he looks fine, like.
Speaker 10: Oh, t Y.
Speaker 7: And I think if a lot of teams thought that that's what they were getting, they might have taken the chance. Again, I don't know if the Cowboys just were the first one in and they figured it out. But he's been everything that you were really hoping for, just to I think he's a steady addition to this offense.
Speaker 6: And I know that defenses are.
Speaker 7: Exhausted on what to do on third down because no, I'm just being honest with you, because on third down, like the Cowboys are already really efficient on third down, but to have the capability to be even more efficient now and you know, obviously CD is a third down monster as well, so now you got too. Yeah, I think it's gonna be difficult moving forward for teams to decide who they're gonna roll coverage to and cover up in those situations.
Speaker 5: Going back to your you're coming about, was it other teams not seeing the impact potential of t Y Hilton? Was it that or was the other teams are just not built like the Dallas Cowboys to create those kind of impact opportunities for t Y, because really, this is a special team that he could come into the locker room make an immediate impact, And you can't really say that for a lot of teams across the NFL, who for for the most part have a pretty established wide receiver group. This is a special year for the Cowboys and that you know, Ceedee Lamb stepped up to be that wide receiver one. You have Michael Gallup, you know, you have Noah Brown who who came to fruition this uh this season? But was it that or was was this just the perfect landing spot for Ty to sit here and say, Hey, I know I can make an impact here and let me tell you why to you know, the front office or whoever makes those decisions, because.
Speaker 4: It's not us. We don't have any saying any of that. But I think, wait, we don't. Are you sure we don't?
Speaker 6: People believe obviously we don't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think t Wy's a media impact has just been so felt, mister third down. I mean, my goodness, good for him. And what I'm excited to see is kind of the long term effect that the messages he's given to this wide receiver room have for years to come. And I say the same thing about Jason Peters and Tyler Smith. With that long term effect, you're looking ten years down the road and Tyler Smith's saying, oh, yeah, Jason Peters showed me that ten years later. So that's what I'm excited to look forward to. As far as t Y and the wide receivers.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 2: I think, you know, going into this Washington game, we obviously didn't talk a lot about it. We've got a couple more days to get into that matchup. But I think the most important thing for the Cowboys to focus on is the Cowboys. And I've said this a lot with Patrick Walker this season. The only team I think that can beat the Cowboys as the Cowboys. When you look back at all of the losses, all of the losses they've had four, but when you look back at each one of those games and you think about what went wrong, every single time, it was decision making or it was a mental error, as Dan Quinn mentioned yesterday in his press conference, that the Cowboys are facing and so I am really hope that with a couple of guys coming back this week next week. We didn't get a chance to talk about the offensive line very much, but that's going to be a very important part of the game. With Talibiattish avoiding a serious injury, Matt Farniot being activated tomorrow, Tony Pollard, we'll be back. You get a lot of these guys back who hopefully will kind of help the offense gel and then for the playoffs. You know, we'll see Jonathan Hankins. The team is pretty confident that he comes back. You're happy that Naseean Wright is stepping up in that cornerback spot. So I think there's a lot of positive things to look forward to. It's a matter of I think getting through this week. I know that Mike McCarthy and a couple of the players have emphasized that this is not going to be a rest week for them. They're going to you know, it's a playoff like atmosphere, it's preparing them for the playoffs, so they see no benefit in taking it light. So we'll see how that works out and how that plays in the advantage of the team before we go. Ladies, We've talked about a lot, but I want to ask if there was one thing that you would fix if you had just a little button that you could click and you could say, this will be perfect for the Stalls Cowboys team going into the playoffs. Where would you utilize that Buttonles.
Speaker 3: I know, I'm sorry, I I uh, I put you on the spot.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna go with the obvious answer in the interceptions, and not obviously, because yes, turnovers will win games and they will cost you games as well. But for Dax's confidence, because I I just root for this guy to be the best version of himself to win, to win these games, be the best leader.
Speaker 4: You can be.
Speaker 5: And I want him to go into the rest of his this season, the rest of his career feeling as confident as he can, and if that means taking the little maybe sound in his ear out of there talking about interceptions, just that and for that reason, obviously it would be nice to not see it, but more so for Dax's confidence in the rest of the team to be like, yeah, there you go.
Speaker 7: You know that's fine, I'm gonna go defense. My one little change would just be barnacles.
Speaker 3: That the the change would be barnacles. It's a hard question.
Speaker 7: I think if the cornerback two spots is short up. It's gonna help you. I feel like in these last three games, well, however, many games the big play has hurt you. It is if you can negate the big play whatever, that it's like one big passing play, just one a game. If you can mediate that, this defense is gonna look so much better statistically and just also threat wise. So that's my thing, is that the cornerback put two position is short up, and that it's competitive and it's good.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what I was going to say. I was going to say, if we could limit the big plays, that would be great because Mike McCarthy talks about how the teams that are successful in this league are the teams that are doing the big play, not giving up the big play. So I'm with you right there. I would definitely shore up that cornerback spot. And I'd also like to see the run defense or the run excuse me, the run offense, Yes, getting back to where it is. I think you missed Tony Pollard rightfully, so he needed to rest. He needed a break, just like we gave Zeke that break a couple.
Speaker 3: Of weeks ago.
Speaker 2: So I think you get that offense going Malik Davis, I think, really showed out and showed that he is a capable running back three in there. So now you've got three potential running backs that can that can make that run offense work. So I'd love to see the one, two, possibly three punch get going right.
Speaker 6: We know what we the offensive line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but here's the thing about the offensive line is you want to fix it, But I don't think that that's necessarily the biggest.
Speaker 3: Problem on the steam.
Speaker 2: I think you've got a team full of pros who, Yeah, you want your guys to play where they where they want to play, right, But I'm not necessarily concerned in that area of the way. I'm concerned with the cornerback spot or the way that I'm concerned about the run defense, you know, like we were a couple of weeks ago, or getting the pass rush back to where it is. I think that offensive line is full of veterans. We've said it time and time again. There's three potential Hall of famers on that line.
Speaker 3: I'm good with it.
Speaker 7: Being able to activate Farniac is just barniac if that's how I'm Barniac. But just being able to do that at this late in the season. There's team right now?
Speaker 9: Cool?
Speaker 6: Is that how you say it?
Speaker 4: Farniac?
Speaker 2: Is it Parniac? I think Carniac. Farniac will ask tomorrow for clarification.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but okay, I didn't want to mess it up, but yeah, I just being able to elevate him at this time of year, and just knowing that you have a guy dependable and just like the depth is not always going to be perfect, but just having it there, you're right, is like if they're capable, they're capable. We're gonna have to get it done regardless. Everybody going through something right now.
Speaker 2: Everybody, airbody, everybody, ladies as always smart football talk. I missed hanging out with you guys. Hopefully next time I'm on here, I won't sound like a broken record, but here we are. I love talking sports, love talking cowboys with you guys. As we get into the week, the Cowboys officially play on Sunday at three forty five against the Commanders. We're going to get into that matchup tomorrow. But thanks so much for being with us on Girls Talkboys Talk for anybody, Jigsaw Dating.
Speaker 3: We'll see you guys tomorrow.
Speaker 1: This is in a production of dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club