Speaker 1: Wake that ass up in the morning. The Breakfast Club. Morning, everybody, it's d J Envy.
Speaker 2: Just hilarious. Charlamagne the guy. We are the Breakfast Club. We got a special guest in the building. Yes, indeed, we have Jabril Films in the building.
Speaker 1: Theod morning morning. What's going on.
Speaker 3: That's a feeling. Hey, I feel amazing, man, it's a blessing to be here. I've been a fan of the show for a long time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what's up man.
Speaker 5: So he was always Charlotte, always make fun of like my roles and movies.
Speaker 1: I love her.
Speaker 4: He thinks I belonged to b and that's all I need. That's what I need to stay. That's my home and everything.
Speaker 5: And he was shocked to know that I was in a movie that was on that's on Peacock and not executive produced it.
Speaker 6: By the way, I love to have no problem.
Speaker 3: With Yeah, okay, nah, but I mean, yeah, we're on the Peacock Now. I hate I love you just dropped. It's my directorial debut. Just hilarious. One of the co stars. We got Kiaria Schroeder, Rhetoric Williams. We got Ernesty Morrison, Javier McIntosh, Sean Freeman, scrappy, little scrappy, little scrappy body good.
Speaker 6: He didn't really well, I love that sounds like cast, but it's not.
Speaker 3: You're gonna see some of these people in major roles.
Speaker 4: How did you get into film?
Speaker 3: I got my start actually through my brothers, Javier and Shaq. Since we've been kids, we've been filming like at home videos, and uh that transition into when I was about eighteen, I just was running around Atlanta with a camera, going all to clubs, you know, just trying to film any artists that I could. And from there I got picked up and started to go on tour. So I was, uh, big baby drama. So I was his day to day and so we did his first tour with Orie Lennox and then that led to touring with Kendrick Lamar. So I did the Damn Tour with Travis Scott and them, and from there, like my name really started the buzz, and so I took, you know, my expertise in that and transitioned into films and commercials. So I started doing commercials for like the under Armours and.
Speaker 1: Some of my favorites.
Speaker 3: I used to direct campaign videos for Stacey Abrams sorry, Leader Abrams. And then you know, from there, I just started shooting movies as a cinematographer, doing like Keisha Cole's biopic.
Speaker 1: And never would have made it.
Speaker 3: But now transitioning into my directorial debut, which is I Hate I Love You.
Speaker 6: So for I Hate I Love You?
Speaker 7: Did you film it yourself, produce yourself and didn't sell it to Peacock or did you so?
Speaker 3: Maverick and Freely Films they kind of put together that play, but I was one of the producers and directors and my team with BP forty, we pretty much just use all of our resources to film it, like it's all of our own equipment. We brought everything to the table and I directed, edited, and built the score.
Speaker 7: The reason I asked cause you know, all of these screaming platforms they need content and you know people they joke about too. That's essentially what Tubi was. But all of these screaming platforms are gonna be taking that model.
Speaker 3: Facts facts, Yeah, And I think it's like it's just important like what we did, which is we just used our whole community to kind of bring it together, like all of our friends, family, We brought everybody to make the everybody together to make the film happen, especially because we filmed it last December, which of course is like right after the film strike, so everybody was hungry, like pretty much nobody had worked for a year, so we all came together for this one project.
Speaker 1: Why did you cast Jess?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 3: Actually, to be honest, I didn't cast Jess, but when they brought her name up, I was like, Oh, she's gonna be perfect for this role because for one, I knew she could actually act.
Speaker 6: She can definitely, you know.
Speaker 3: So it's like people asleep on that side of Jess, you know, like we all know she's funny, but she can actually act. And the good thing about her in the scenes, like when we're actually going through it, every take, she brings something different, you know. So some actors they just give you the you know, the same take back to back to back, but Jess always brings something new.
Speaker 1: So I mean I forever want to put her in my movies. Yeah, for sure. Yeah.
Speaker 5: And then a lot of people was talking about my role. Why did y'all have me play that role? Now it's so many.
Speaker 4: I played him. The issue.
Speaker 3: The issue is a little spoiler alert.
Speaker 5: Man, I just got a role when I was the first lady at BMF.
Speaker 4: I slept with my best friend's man too there.
Speaker 1: And everybody is.
Speaker 4: Just right, everybody like justice, this is what you did.
Speaker 1: We go switch to them next time, We go switch them next time. But you did body that role? Yeah you killed it?
Speaker 4: Thank you?
Speaker 5: Did you have is it? Was it like a whole team of writers, like because you said it was?
Speaker 3: Actually no, So it was Jay Carter the executive producer. Yep, he wrote the whole film.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And then and the I seen, like, you know, I like to look at the comments and get feedback.
Speaker 4: About like everybody's rolling stuff they were.
Speaker 5: I seen a lot of people were saying, like, so, what exactly was the plot? Like what was the plot?
Speaker 4: I know that kier No.
Speaker 5: I want to call them by their name, their character Jacinda yeah and Bradley Yeah.
Speaker 4: So they owned the agency.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they owned the agency art Life.
Speaker 5: And I want to know how does Scrappy come into play? How did he come into play with Like how he did did he owe him money? Did GC and Bread owe him money?
Speaker 3: So essentially little Scrappy's character bones in the movie. He funded all of art Life to make it what it is, got it so it's this huge conglomerate and Bradley and Senda are married, and Jesinda thinks that it was just their success that made it, you know, blow up this big not knowing that the whole time it was Scrappy and his funny money which funded.
Speaker 1: Their whole company.
Speaker 6: Is Scrappy Zagon roll.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: So he's been in a couple other roles, but this is his first, I would say, like serious, serious role because he's you know, typically he's the bad guy. But what I wanted to do with him in this movie is I wanted him to be the villain, but very calm, because I feel like, you know, the undertone of being calm yet also assertive is a lot more you know, scary and kind of terrifying.
Speaker 7: So is it hard taking notes from networks nowadays all screaming platforms.
Speaker 1: Honestly, I can't really speak.
Speaker 3: To it because they really let us cook. So they let me cook with this. It was my first one, and I think they just trusted the cast, they trusted the crew, so when we delivered the product to them, they just accepted it as it was.
Speaker 7: And I feel like that's what they should do, like get out the way the creatives. You know what I'm saying, even if you're putting money up, get out the way the creatives.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree, because this is our full vision, Like we put our heart into this. You know, we spent probably a year and a half just working on this movie. So I'm glad, you know, they just let us do our thing.
Speaker 1: How long did it take the shoot?
Speaker 2: You sait a year and a half to do the whole movie, And how long did it take the shoot?
Speaker 1: We shot it in ten days, the whole movie in ten days. Whole movie in ten.
Speaker 3: Days, So it was just a grind, just ten days straight and then not spent the next I don't know, maybe six months editing and building up the score.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: How did the writers strike? I heard you make earlier. How did the writer strike affect this film? Was this something that was already in the works when the writer strike came into play or.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it was in the works.
Speaker 3: But the tough thing, I would say, the way it affected it would be just the timeline because we weren't sure when we could film it. But also it was like assembling the crew and trying to figure out which cast could be involved.
Speaker 1: That was a really hard thing with the Writer's Strike.
Speaker 3: But luckily we filmed it in December, you know, like at the end of the year, and everybody was kind of like, all right, I'll do this last joint, you know, before the end of the year to make it happen.
Speaker 6: Who is Jabrull?
Speaker 3: I would say definitely my family, my parents, my brothers. But in the film world, it's definitely Spike Lee. That's my favorite director.
Speaker 1: And why why is it your favorite? It's just the first time I saw do the right Thing? It just blew my mind.
Speaker 3: Just you know, being able, that's my favorite movie of all time, and just being able to bring people into your world and actually show them what that looks like is incredible to me. And a surprisingly enough, what really made me want to become a filmmaker is Missy Elliott kid. Yeah, when I was a kid seeing her videos, it was the same thing, Like my mind was blown. I'm like, how can people do this? How can I figure out how to make these things happen? And yeah, so Missy Elliott is one of my biggest inspirations as well.
Speaker 7: So I see, I wonder what's more important for a director's story or visual.
Speaker 3: I think it's a mixture of both, but you know, me as a director and cinematographer, I come from more of a visual background. But I mean, you know, it's both, like neither one can be failing. But if you have a great story, individuals are just okay, it can still be all right.
Speaker 1: But if you have amazing visuals, stories just all right.
Speaker 3: You know, as long as something's good, you know so, but you strive to have both be great.
Speaker 7: So what's your favorite film of all time that you feel like you have the perfect balance of both those things.
Speaker 1: I would say, do the right thing right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah to me because it's like so many iconic scenes and just just the imagery of New York and the way he painted it and the color and lighting, but also you know, the deep messages that the film does portray.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's to me the perfect balance.
Speaker 6: What about Belly?
Speaker 7: I love bellby so slept people be acting like Belly, but they say visually they didn't like how dark it looked.
Speaker 1: It's one of the most creative movies ever made.
Speaker 3: I think Belly deserved you know oscars absolutely like Belly is incredible and you can still watch it today and it stands at test of time.
Speaker 4: Absolutely crazy.
Speaker 5: I was like ten eleven watching that movie. Wow that in the beginning that club scene's crazy, that's like a music video in itself, and then just the scenes everything funds.
Speaker 4: I love it. Will there be a part two?
Speaker 3: I think there is a part two in the works. I can't speak on it too much. I think I think they're trying to cook something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because the way it ends is like, okay, what else?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because it's a roller coaster throughout the whole movie where you're kind of wondering like what does this getting too? What does this getting too? And then right when we give you a piece, you know, we kind of snatch it from you. But yeah, there's it's definitely a part two.
Speaker 1: Words.
Speaker 6: Okay, you did something with the Olympics.
Speaker 3: This year too, Yeah, Actually, so I filmed the Olympians that were going to Paris. So we filmed like the behind the scenes that are photo shoot and them getting ready to go to Paris. And uh, surprisingly in a cool way, they're playing it on like all the Delta flights. So that was like all of mine that I can check out the list, you know, actually having something that's playing on Delta flights?
Speaker 7: Is it hard to write stories nowadays? When life is so absurd, Like it feels like life is glad tire nowadays.
Speaker 3: Like that's a great question, but uh no, I don't think so, because I think, you know, there's always something you know creatively that you can.
Speaker 1: Pull from it, especially with life. So I don't think so at all.
Speaker 5: Do you have any dream projects that you you know, should see in the future, any dream collaborations or any you know, anything you always wanted to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I'd love to do something with Jamie Fox. I love Jamie Fox as an actor from the Spike Lee and just you know, like bigger movies. I would say, like bigger movies with you know, larger budgets, more access and you know, us being able to tell our stories.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's on the way. I wonder you know what directors like yourself? Is it pressure? Because every single thing you do nowadays can be.
Speaker 7: Magnified, right, Like you know, so a lot of these people have the opportunity to grow in business. But for you, it's like, oh, it's real, Hey, I love you. Oh just Alarus in it, these person in it. I'm a watch so they're watching you from the beginning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean for me, it's I don't really feel the pressure as much because I disconnect so I don't spend time on the internet all day, and I know people are gonna say what they're gonna say regardless, you know. Like I've been making films and commercials for fifteen years, so it's like either you like it or you don't, you know, so I know what I created. I know what it took to make it, you know, especially with our team, so I don't really feel the pressure, and I always know where I'm going. I'm always going to something bigger and greater. So if you don't like this one, maybe you like the next one. If you don't like that one, maybe you like the next one after that. But if not, you know, I'm not here to please everybody anyway, so that's all good.
Speaker 6: What's your favorite way to tell the story? Is it through film? Is it through you know?
Speaker 7: I guess the documentary style stuff like the Olympics, Like I.
Speaker 3: Would say my favorite would be film and commercials. Like I really like commercials because there's so much intention and there's so much time spent for something that's so small, and you can get really creative with commercials. So I would say, yeah, movies and commercials are definitely.
Speaker 6: My favorite commercials are a lost art.
Speaker 7: Yeah, sure, Like think about when we was young, those commercials that used to like stand out that you remember to this day.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they don't do it that way anymore. You know, sad, but hopefully we can bring it back, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: I remember when Super Bowl commercials were the best, Like people used to love those commercials. Now it's like, nah, I'm I'm tired of like the Dawn commercials, Like none of them makes sense.
Speaker 4: Like I don't have a greasy duck, I got dishes. I need commercials we need.
Speaker 3: It's a couple that I think are cool. The homiechal Matic. He does some cool stuff with like the Lebron commercials. But yeah, I agree, like they don't go as big as they used to go.
Speaker 1: So I mean, I think the Gatorade commercials will always big Gatorade. Yeah, and Night Back in the Day will always.
Speaker 4: Good music too.
Speaker 1: Fact.
Speaker 5: So you went to Georgia State, and I know you told us how you got into film, but you you majored in business.
Speaker 1: So I got my marketing degree.
Speaker 4: How do you still dabble.
Speaker 1: In that marketing and business? Definitely?
Speaker 3: So I always knew that I wanted to do film, and my brother and I started our company in college, so like I already knew what I wanted to do, So I didn't want to go to film school. I just wanted to know how to build my business. So I just took all those years of college learning business and marketing, and I was writing, you know, my business plan for my actual company.
Speaker 1: While I was in school.
Speaker 3: So it was cool, like my professors like make up a you know, a mock company and our review your business planning, this is and this, but I was using my actual company for the professors to review, you know, so it definitely helped.
Speaker 4: And was that your brother you talk about your brother? Is that your brother that played in the movie as well? Because he's the actor?
Speaker 5: Okay, And and are you an actor as well?
Speaker 1: Not at all? Stay behind the camera.
Speaker 4: He's always been in front of the camera.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, for sure. He's a huge personality, like he's a YouTube star.
Speaker 1: He does he does it all.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, that's what's up.
Speaker 7: I wonder the business, uh has has gotten in the way of the creative because you know, creatives to me are creatives.
Speaker 6: Business people are business people.
Speaker 7: But now a day's creatives are forced to be business people because so many creatives be getting got that's true. So you got to know your business. But I wonder if if the business gets in the way of just being created some time, having to figure balance.
Speaker 3: Both think so because it's like for me, you know, and all our peers, we want to control our destiny. So we want to own our own businesses. You know, we want to have, you know, our foot in the door. We want to be a part of the conversations. But also as a creative, like sometimes I wish I could just show up and only do art, Like I don't want to have to handle business and hop on all these calls and figure out where the money's going. It's like, I just want to show up and create. So yeah, I agree.
Speaker 7: Or somebody like your brother, I say, somebody like your brother's gonna have be probably such a good actor because he got you just watching his back.
Speaker 6: You don't worry about facts business.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: Tell him how they can see I Hate I Love You starring our very own just hilarious. Yes, yeah, so you can see I Hate I Love You right now out on Peacock please go stream it everywhere. We put our heart and soul into this and you know, shout out freely Films, Maverick, Eli, Tedro, my whole family, Carter, Sean, Tania, everybody.
Speaker 1: She acting like a on not.
Speaker 3: She was super cool in between the scenes, cracking jokes like you know, like she was. She was very very professional and even like taking you know, criticism or like maybe let's try it this way.
Speaker 1: She's like, all right, but got it. You know off, are you pregnant when you shoot?
Speaker 4: I was pregnant?
Speaker 1: They didn't know, Yeah, found out today.
Speaker 4: Yeah I was pregnant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I was.
Speaker 4: I think it was a month already.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well yeah, so you couldn't even smoke.
Speaker 4: He was just man, what man?
Speaker 5: I just but I was like, oh okay, all right, Yeah I didn't want nobody to know because you know, we talked somebody that they start treating you like you need crutches. I'm like, nah, yo, I'm good, Like right, So, yeah I was pregnant in the movie.
Speaker 4: Y'all y'all just can't.
Speaker 1: See all right.
Speaker 2: Well, Jabil Films, we appreciate you for joining us and show you'll be back the next movie that comes.
Speaker 1: Out at Definitely I appreciate it. Too. It's the breakfast like good morning wake that ass up in the morning breakfast club