Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff to Blow your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey you welcome to Weird House Cinema.
Speaker 3: This is Rob Lamb and this is Joe McCormick. And today on Weird House we're going to be talking about the nineteen eighty seven cult sci fi action film The Hidden, directed by Jack Shoulder, starring Kyle McLaughlin, Michael Neori, and Claudia Christian. Big spoiler warning at the top of today's episode. As always, we're going to be talking about the plot of the movie in a lot of detail, and this movie today contains major twists and surprises which are pretty bizarre and I would argue quite pleasing to follow if you go in cold. So this is one where you really might want to think about watching the movie without listening any further. I will give a warning the top that The Hidden is incredibly violent, like tons of on screen murder and blood squibs, almost non stop gunfire. But if you have the stomach for that sort of thing, if you know you can be into like eighties R rated cop movies that have that kind of violence, And if you want something that is I would say one part like hardcore eighties cop movie with ultra violence and all the cop cliches just kind of you know, meat loaf mouth ribbing of cops going at each other, and then another part absolutely wacky. I really would recommend watching this movie without reading or listening to anything else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just know that it's the sort of cop movie, an LA cop movie from the eighties that we would cover on Weird House Cinema. And then you're good to go. And if you're wondering where you can find it, well, this one's pretty widely available to stream. I watched it on the Warner Brothers Blu ray, which is a rather nice little package. It features a director's commentary track plus a special effects feature. I rendered this one from Atlanta's own video dro.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so if you want to pause the episode, go watch the hidden and then come back. Here is your chance. So, now that we're done with the warning, we can go on with the description and talk about how for the first ten minutes or so of this movie it seems like it's gonna be a routine cop movie. It just starts off with like a violent bank robbery and then a car chase, a bunch of shooting and explosions, and then suddenly I think it's about thirteen minutes into the movie you get this hard shift into sci fi horror when a spree killer and just general crime maniac languishing in a hospital bed after the opening action scene, suddenly barfs up a black slug from outer space into the mouth of another page in the hospital, transferring the real thrill killer of the movie, which is an alien parasite, into a new human host so that he can continue he can escape the hospital and continue his rampage. And then so that's the villain of the movie. And then Michael Newry and Kyle McLaughlin will spind the rest of the film chasing this alien slug psycho as it hops from body to body, committing random acts of violence, also acts of theft and gluttony. It's just generally a creature of desires, and it's going around always looking for a new sports car to steal, and they're going to be chasing it the whole time. And then we may have more secrets to learn beyond that initial reveal as well.
Speaker 2: That's right, we won't spoil all the spoilers during this portion. We'll get into some of them during the plot. But yeah, i'd say this particular cocktail of a film is roughly two parts. Even nineteen eighty five's To Live and Die in La so strong elements of that, you know, like the hard, you know, gritty contemporary crime saga told from the standpoint of you know, mostly police characters. But then there is there's a little bit of Terminator in there. There's also, as we've already alluded to, a strong dash of alien parasite films, bringing to mind things like seventy five Shivers or of course, the various adaptations of The Puppet Masters, in which there's some sort of indo parasite that controls the body.
Speaker 3: Was The Puppet Masters an uncredited inspiration on the movie we covered from the fifties called The Brain Eaters.
Speaker 2: I believe it was, Yes, yeah, this will quote. Yeah. The whole idea of like a parasite controlling you, of course, is gonna it's gonna fit very snugly in sort of the Macarthy era, you know, Blacklist era of Hollywood, when there's the you know, the fear of like some sort of communist parasite from outside is going to you know, change your romance, tick partner or your best friend into a communist. That sort of Thing.
Speaker 3: Maybe we should actually take a minute here to talk about the body hopping scenario in sci fi and horror movies, because you're right that that scenario is similar to other types of subgenres, like you know, replication like you would see in The Thing, or you know, an invasion of the body snatchers, but this is a little bit different in that it involves possession of the original bodies. So these are movies where the villain is some kind of alien or monster or demon that can take control of the bodies of human beings and then goes about hopping from one victim to the next, using the human disguise to its advantage.
Speaker 2: And it is a specific entity. And that's I think another thing that sets it apart from some of the other films I was trying to I was trying to think of other films that fit this category, and like, if it's a situation where a like demon in general are possessing people left and right, well that's that's not really That only match up with the Hidden It has to be a film in which there is a single demon, So not a demon that is Legion, but just a demon named Legion.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay, Well I was trying to think of examples, and I thought of a few. There's a movie I actually have never seen in full. It's one of those I saw like half of on TV years and years ago, but Fallen from nineteen ninety eight with Denzel Washington and John Goodman. I know it's a demon movie. In this case, it's a demon possessing human victims. I don't know what the demon's goal is in that movie. I think, is it just trying to take over the world or something?
Speaker 2: You know. I think I watched parts of this. I had it like on in the room in the dorm room when in college at some point, but I was like doing something else, I was studying or something. I don't know, but I think this film obviously you have some great actors in this. But one of the things about a body hopping film, as we're describing it now is in general, you're talking about a film where you don't have a single enigmatic bad guy player. You're gonna have to have multiple people play the bad guy, to be the sleeve for the bad guy, to be the body for the bad guy, and that could be anti climactic in some cases. I think this film does it really well. And we'll discuss all the ways that it does such a good job with it.
Speaker 3: You mean this film The Hidden or this film Fallen the Hidden?
Speaker 2: Yeah, my memory of Fallen is too vague to remember how well they played it. Like, I think John Goodman ends up being possessed at some point, and if so, I'm willing to guess that plays really well because John Goodman is a great actor.
Speaker 3: He can do he can do lovable and hateable and does both in the same movie sometimes. Yeah. Ever seen Barton Fink? I mean yes, yeah, yeah, yeah, he's great in that. But yeah, it does does both there. But and so there's another body hopping movie that came to mind for me. Rob. Have you seen Shocker the West?
Speaker 2: I've never seen Shocker? No, I know this is This is one of your faves. I've heard you talk about it multiple times.
Speaker 3: We're gonna have to do Shocker on Weird House one day, and we may also have to review the old segment from the Ciskel and Ebert TV show where Gene Siskel is just trying to explain why he thinks Shocker is a great movie, Like he's got words seem to be failing him. But so the premise of this movie is You've got a serial killer played by Mitch Poleggi his Skinner from the X Files. And this serial killer works a day job as a TV repair man, and when he so, he gets caught for his crimes and they're preparing to execute him in the electric chair, but before that happens, he does some kind of satanic ritual involving a TV and jumper cables, which transforms him into an electricity ghost who can travel through power lines and come out of electrical sockets, come out of TV screens, and he can also possess human beings, so he jumps into people takes control of their bodies. A motive of the body hopper in this movie seems to be it's mostly revenge, like he wants revenge against the protagonist of the movie, who is a high school football player who happens to be psychic played by Peter Berg. This character helped catch the killer in the first place, and I think also he just wants to keep on doing crimes and he's going to do them in Electricity Ghost Slash, possessing human bodies for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I never saw this one, but I do remember the trailers for it. I saw the trailers for it when you know, as a child, I just believed everything that the trailers were throwing at me. I thought this guy, the main character, was going to be the next Ready Krueger. I don't remember if they actually made that promise, but they probably heavily hyped from the creator of a Nightmare on Elm Street, and I was like, Oh, this is going to be the next big franchise.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I think that's what they were going for, because he's already late sequel Freddie in terms of he's doing a lot of he makes like jokes, he has one liners. He's like a wise, cracking, sinister kind of villain. Yeah, yeah, not soft spoken. Another one actually to complete the You know, so you got the Freddy analog on one side the Craven verse. Also, did you know that there is a Friday the Thirteenth movie that's a body hopping movie.
Speaker 2: This this is something I always forget about, and I don't think i've seen this one in full, but yeah, I mean it makes sense that they would begin to run out of things to do in the Friday the Thirteenth franchise.
Speaker 3: So Friday Thirteenth Part nine Jason Goes to Hell is, in my opinion, the worst of all the Friday thirteenth movies. It is enlivened only slightly by some well one thing that sort of perks it up for a moment is the presence of a bizarre character named Creighton Duke played by the actor Steven Williams, who is some kind of bounty hunter who's supposed to be hunting Jason Vorhees, the hockey mask guy in the Friday movies. It's been a while since I've seen this one, but I recall there's a part where he divulges lore about how Jason can only be killed by another vor he Is from the Vorhe's line, it's like from a Varhe's was he made only by a Varheez? Can he be unmade? And they also have to use a magic dagger? But in this movie Jason. One of the big criticisms from fans of the series is that for most of the movie, or at least half of the movie, Jason doesn't look like Jason. He's not the guy in the jumpsuit with the hockey mask. He's body hopping. So it's in the beginning of the movie like a bunch of FBI agents or something kind of blow Jason up into pieces and then some and then there's like a medical pathologist who's doing an autopsy on the remains of Jason's body, and I think gets like hypnotized by Jason's evil heart and then eats his heart and then gets body possessed and like turns into Jason, but doesn't look like him except in a mirror, so it's just a regular looking guy walking around. And then he trades bodies a few more times in the movie, so he exists as this weird little like fecal rat snake demon who like goes out of the mouth. I think he gets like pooped out of somebody's mouth into somebody's other somebody else's mouth, much like the Slug and The Hidden actually quite mechanically similar. I'm going to say this effect in the Hidden looks a lot better than the one and oh, Jason goes to Hell.
Speaker 2: I don't even know what it looks like. And Jason goes to Hell, but it's perfect in the Hidden, so.
Speaker 3: Yes, so I can't I can't prove, but suspect that both Shocker and Jason Goes to Hell were influenced by the Hidden.
Speaker 2: You know, I mean the Jason goes to Hell concept here. First of all, it's also I think this movie bombed for a lot of people because the title sounds like you're getting Jason, you know, in the Divine Comedy that he's going to go to help on. Yeah, it's going to be incredible, Like, what a great title. And then it doesn't deliver on that. But by enlarge, the concept of like, oh, we are all potentially Jason now, like that could have been really good if the well wasn't so poisoned by this movie. I could imagine going someone going back to that, you know, because it's like all you have to do now they got a hockey mask on, they're killing people. You know, it's a you know, it's you know, this type of person one minute, this type of person the next. Who will the next Jason be? Could have worked?
Speaker 3: I mean I think anything could work if done well.
Speaker 2: But it's just was not done.
Speaker 3: It doesn't do it for me. I get a lot of tolerance for Jason movies. Also, even like the not good ones, I can just I have a good time sitting through those, but this one doesn't do it for me. All right, But yeah, so and then I was also thinking, Okay, what's the motive of the monster there? I think I think it's just Jason, like it wants to, you know, he does what Jason does, even when he's in somebody else's body.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, rise out of water, destroy teenager, that sort of thing.
Speaker 3: Well, I do think in this case, he's trying to destroy the people who could I don't know, he's trying to destroy his relatives or something, because they're the only ones who can unjason him with a magic dagger. Okay, yeah, and self defense new lore introduced in part nine, Thank you. But anyway, this got me thinking about trends and themes in body hopping movies as opposed to other types of horror and sci fi movies. And it got me thinking about how they're really like two different kinds of body hopping scenarios in these movies. And I just made these terms up. I would call this like common deering versus repurposing. So in your commandeering story, the original person who gets possessed in some way remains alive and could, in theory, reassume control of their body.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and generally there'll be a scene where someone's like, I know, you're still in there, Sally, Yeah, remember this photo of your dad, remember this stuff to animal and or the other side of that too, is like the possessing entity like brings out the evil side of the person it's possessing.
Speaker 3: That's sort of right. Yeah, And sometimes they're fighting for control of the body. But so and it can have different versions, like so the commandeering story, it could have the person sort of rendered unconscious by the process of the monster taking control and using their body. But other times it's like they're conscious and aware, but they're just powerless to control their own actions, like they are being forced to sit in the passenger seat of their own body while somebody else takes the wheel. Whereas I would say that the repurposing version of this storyline is the original person is gone and their body is now simply a shell or a vehicle to be used by the monster. I think this is the case in The Hidden I don't know if you can think of a counter example, but I don't think we ever get any indication that the original person could or does survive in any way. I don't think so. It seems like once the monster's in there in the Hidden There, the person is dead and the monster is just using the body to blend in.
Speaker 2: That largely seems to be the model here. I mean, it's complicated by the fact that the possessing evil entity generally has no intention of you know, returning the vhs at the end of the rental. You know, he drives them all like he stole them, you know, generally into the ground and into an explosion, that sort of thing. And then also we see cases where he is possessing a body that he is either already fatally injured or about to die, or may in fact be dead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right. So I was thinking about the ways that these slightly different ways of dealing with the scenario bring up different themes, like how commandeering scenarios in storytelling generally introduced themes of agency and control. It's like you're talking about with the scene, like I know you're in their sally. You know you can fight back. And these can often be metaphors for like real situations that make people feel as if they're not in control of their own actions, or situations where people act against their interests. So subjects like addiction or compulsive behavior, temptation against our better angels, and things like that. Whereas repurposing scenarios, I think, tend to be more about external threats, about trust and suspicion, and they raise questions like can you ever really know another person? And are other people really who you think they are? And I think that The Hidden does in fact deal more with the latter themes than with the former. It's not really about agency and control, but it is very much about are people really who you think they are? And that comes through in multiple ways. The themes are kind of subtle because on the surface level, it really is like a meathead action movie, like it's a bullet hell plot. It doesn't usually stop to get very, you know, very thoughtful. The ways in which it's thoughtful are just kind of for you to find on your own mostly, But I think these themes are there, like it asks can how can we really trust that people are who they say they are? And that applies to politicians seeking power and to family members seeking love and intimacy. It is a question raised in multiple ways by the story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but yeah, I would agree that that that depth is there for you to explore on your own if you want to.
Speaker 3: In between explosions, Yes, but I would also say that of all the movies we've been talking about, I think The Hidden makes better, weirder and funnier use of the body hopping plot convention than most of the other movies that I can think of that do some version of this.
Speaker 2: I would agree this movie is tremendous if you're on board for the eighties cop violence, and I have to distress like the violence in this film. You know, it's nowhere near like the RoboCop level of like disturbing violence. You know, it's it's a there's a lot of shoot them up in a lot of squibs, like you said, But on the whole that the tone here is fun. It is not a feel bad motion picture. It isn't It is body horror, but not not body horror in the sense that we often think about it today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would say I agree with you about the violence because like most of the stuff, it moves on from pretty quick. But there is some violence in it that feels pretty nasty because it is the alien doing its crime spree, and not just like fighting cops, but just like randomly killing like random civilians.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, if you if you don't want to see that kind of thing, because obviously it does mirror things that happen in our real world. Give it a skip or you know, wait till you're in the right mood for it. But but if you're willing to stomach all of that, it's pretty fun.
Speaker 3: Uh So elevator pitch. I mean, we've sort of gone over this, but I would say it's like one part by the Numbers hardcore cop thing. It's one part like satirical science fiction. It's Kurt Vonnegut in a way almost. I don't know if that's a little bit overpraising it, but it's it's a little bit Vonneguty. It's one part proto Twin Peaks and another part just watching somebody play Grand Theft auto.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, that's a good point, and I'll give it an alternate elevator pitch. I'm just gonna say Space slug the motion picture. Oh yeah, all right, Well, let's get into the folks behind this one. And I'm going to add another spoiler warning here because in running through the cast, I am going to go ahead and reveal many of the people who end up getting Space Slugged that end up being possessed and becoming the meat suit for the parasite because it's ultimately important for evaluating the actors performances, I think because absolutely some of the if we just told them, oh yeah, this guy plays a dude in the hospital, like that doesn't tell you anything like that, they really get to shine when they are possessed by the space lug.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I agree. This is again why I put the spoiler warning right at the top of this episode, because this is one where we really just like, you can't talk about it at all without spoiling some of the surprises, and we have to be able to talk about it. So yeah, we're warning again if if you didn't heed us the first time and you want to keep and you want to watch it with some surprises still intact, stop here, go watch it and then come back.
Speaker 2: I have to say this. I'm I'm really I really enjoyed this one. I had never seen it before, and I'd really heard very little about it. It'd come up previously on Weird House Cinema because of a connection we're going to get into here. But since it has kind of maybe flown under the radar to a certain extent and you know, still has its I think has its own sort of cult status. But but it isn't the sort of thing that's just going to be naturally spoiled for everyone out there. So I think it's a lot easier to come in fresh on this one versus certain other like spoiler heavy movies out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not like knowing that Rosebud is a sled.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, all right, Well let's get into it here. Let's start with the director who we mentioned earlier. It's Jack Shoulder born nineteen forty five, American director whose credits go back to nineteen seventy three with the film The Garden Party, which he also wrote adapted from the Catherine Mansfield short story. After this, in eighty two, he wrote the hockey mask slasher movie Alone in the Dark that had Jack Palance, Donald Pleasants, and Martin Landau in it, and that came out just a couple of months after Friday the Thirteenth, Part three, the first movie I Believe in which Jason actually wore the hockey.
Speaker 3: Mask, right, no hockey mask in one or two. Jason's not the killer in the first movie, and the second movie he wears a bag on his head, which actually is creepier than the hockey mask. But the hockey mask is a better choice overall in making him an iconic and recognizable villain because the bag is creepy, but it's not distinctive.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, as far as I can tell, these two movies both just kind of have the same idea at the same time for different reasons. And to be cleared, neither was the first kind of like killer movie in which the killer wears a hockey mask.
Speaker 3: All right, well, do you know what the first one was?
Speaker 2: I do. Let me try to remember what its more pleasant title is.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 2: No, it is a film called Act of Vengeance from nineteen seventy four. As far as I know, there may be something earlier than that, but that I think is the earliest motion picture in which a killer or villain of some sort has a hockey mask on.
Speaker 3: Oh does it have an alternate title? You didn't want to say out loud?
Speaker 2: Correct? Yeah, you know it has a I've never seen it. In my understanding, it's an imperfect film that doesn't really handle its themes very well. Okay, So yeah, after a loan in the Dark, he goes on to direct nineteen eighty Five's a Nightmare on Elm Street too, Freddy's Revenge. This is one that has. I don't know. I think for a while was maybe considered a lesser Nightmare installment, but I believe has has been reevaluated a lot in like over the last couple of decades anyway, in large part because of its homo erotic elements.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So it's a movie that has clearly a lot of like gay themes coming through. And I think that used to be received more with mocking and derision because it was perceived as like an unintentional thing about the movie, and it's like, oh, it's so weird that it has all these gay themes when it's not supposed to. And then I think the more recent strain and interpretation is like, well maybe it was just supposed to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's my understanding of it. I don't think I've ever seen that one. I've of course seen the first Nightmare, and I've seen I've seen a lot of the sequels after that, maybe not like a committed viewing, but sort of like you know, high school viewings. But I don't think I ever watched two. But we'll have more to say about Nightmare on Elm Street. This movie has a lot of Nightmare on Elm Street connections. Yeah, let's see this. So after this movie, he did The Hidden. The Hidden was his follow up to Nightmare two, and subsequent films included eighty nine's Renegades, ninety nine's Wish Master two, two thousand and one's Aracknid, and he also just did a lot of TV work, including episodes of Tales from the Crypt. The episode in particular is a Fitting Punishment, which is a good, if not super fun episode. I believe this is the one that's set at like like a black funeral home and has some really good actors. This's come up on the show before because of you know, dip connected actors. Let's see. He also did an episode of the TV show Generation X, which was like a marvel thing Mortal Kombat conquest, as well as at least one episode of The Trimmer's television series, which I don't think I've ever watched that either, but does have a good cast.
Speaker 3: I'm going to say that of the Jack Shoulder movies I have seen, the Hidden is Head and Shoulder is the best one. I think this is like a crowning achievement here. Yeah, though I haven't seen every one of his movies.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's really solid, like if The Hidden was your first Jack Shoulder movie to see, you'd be like, I've got to see all the other things this guy did. Let's see that Mortal Kombat conquest.
Speaker 3: But the Raknid from two thousand doesn't quite live.
Speaker 2: Up to Yeah Yeah, but it is really solid. And I didn't have the time to really get into the commentary track, but I did check out the special effects feature, which has some thoughts from Shoulder about the film, and I thought he was very well spoken about some of the choices they made, and we'll get into some of those as we discussed the plot. I will note that there is a sequel to this movie, nineteen ninety three is The Hidden two. It features no returning talent outside of archive footage, but Todd Masters was involved in the special effects, which is a good sign, so if nothing else, it probably has some interesting effects work in it, all right. The screenwriter on this film is someone we've talked about in the show before. It's Jim Coff born nineteen fifty one, writer and producer who was involved in a little film from nineteen eighty one called The Buggins Unbelievable.
Speaker 3: This is like several levels above the Bogins as a script, I think, yeah, No, I mean The Buggins was fun, but like, this is actually an interesting and funny movie. It has a lot of cliches and stuff in it, But I would class this as like a really good script, And I don't know if I'd say the same about The Buggins.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but both are bug movies. In fact, you could make an argument that the space lug in this movie is a bugin in the sense that if we're going to use boogin as a as a general term for some sort of a mysterious, nasty insect type creature.
Speaker 3: What if the Buggins did what the Yeah, so you take that story. But the Buggins just crawl into people's mouths and possess them.
Speaker 2: Why not? Why not? We don't know the full life cycle of a bogin.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess that's right. Man. Can you imagine putting Kyle McLaughlin in that cabin? That really would have mixed things?
Speaker 2: That would have it might have been interesting. Kyle McLaughlin does bring a special charm to things. One more thing about Jim Coff, I'll just say that, as we reference in that episode on the book Ins, a very successful career He wrote his screenplay credits on such films as ninety eight, ninety eighth Rush Hour, two thousand and four's National Treasure, twenty sixteen's Money Monster, and one hundred and twenty three episodes of TV's Grim, which he also created and produced. All Right, yeah, let's now, let's get to Kyle McLaughlin, who plays FBI agent Lloyd Gallagher in this film. Born nineteen fifty nine. We previously discussed McLaughlin in our two part episode on David Lynch's Dune, in which he played paul A Tredes in his film debut. We have to that's always kind of mind blowing to realize that though he had previously been an extra in nineteen eighties. The changelingk McLaughlin, of course, is in a accomplished American actor who excels really especially when you think about like things that you've seen Kyle maclaughlinin where he really steals a show. I find that he's really great at navigating this space between traditional handsome, almost innocent, you know, seeming at times leading man. He has that charm for sure, and in that sense, you could you could put him in a time machine and send him back to the fifties or the sixth or you know, certainly the fifties, even though you know the forties, and he would excel. You know, he has all the all the tools he needs to succeed there. But he also can vary with great skill. He can enter into weirder, darker territory, and so he kind of has a foot in both worlds. Well.
Speaker 3: I think this is the thing that makes him the perfect actor to be a David Lynch lead. I mean, he just fits right in with the David Lynch sensibility of the character in the world that is, at one sense leave it to beaver and in the other sense exploring the darkest and strangest things in the human heart. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they able to just really dig into those roles. So yeah, McLaughlin's great in everything. Two time Emmy Award winner for his work on David Lynch's Twin Peaks, and of course he also worked with Lynch on eighty six is Blue Velvet. He remains highly active today, with notable roles on TV's Fallout. He was on the at least the first season of The Lowdown. The Hidden was only his third credited acting role, following Dune and Blue Velvet. Afterwards, he'd appear in the eighty nine TV movie dream Breakers before starring in Twin Peaks.
Speaker 3: So he was an FBI agent in this movie before he was Agent Cooper in Twin Peaks, sort of the role that I think for a lot of people defines him. Would you agree with that?
Speaker 2: Like? I would think so, I mean, that's where he That's where I think I weirdly enough saw him first, just because you know, even if you didn't watch Twin Peaks, it was all over TV. I think I was aware of Twin Peaks before I was even aware at least, you know, so level before I was aware of Dim. Yeah, and yeah, he's great here. He plays that in the FBI agent sense. You know, he plays a fish out of water. You know. We have this gritty world of hard boiled LA detectives, you know, who are just trying to get through the day, and then here comes this FBI guy in a nice suit, in a nice car, and he's pursuing this strange and dangerous killer and seems to have knowledge that the LA detectives do not have.
Speaker 3: I I mean, so there are multiple movies where this movie makes a step change into a different type of weirdness. And one of the big ones is the scene we already talked about and we will talk about again where there is a space slug vomited from one mouth into another. Like that's a big change. But I would say there is also a more subtle shift in the tone of the movie when Kyle McLaughlin arrives, because you meet the other cops first, but the other cops are all movie cops. They're all these like tough talking, macho cop guys talking their cop cliches. And then when Kyle McLaughlin appears, he has such a different energy. There is this this soft, kind of wise, but kind of aloof a little bit reticent strangeness about him that is so ill fitting with all of the other characters. You're right that it's a fish out of water, but it's a I don't know, it's a fish out of water unlike any I've ever seen before that in this like cop movie world, this strange ethereal being walks into it and is like, Hi, I'm the head cop now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so we should also, you know, we can also say that in any of the different cliches that this movie is playing with in different tropes, one of course, is the buddy cop scenario, or in this case, it's the the hard boiled LA detective who must team up with this FBI outsider in order to chase the bad guy. And in this our main hard boiled LA police detective is Detective Tom Beck played by Michael Norri born nineteen forty five. And I would also argue that he I think he's also our structural protagonist in many ways as well. We meet him first, it's his understanding of this FBI agent and his sort of you know, what he's learning about this killer. Thereafter, it's his point of view that we're mostly interacting with.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would agree with that, certainly in the first half of the movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then the explosions happened, certainly. Yeah. But yeah, Michael Norri, I thought he's really great in this one thing you mentioned, you know, all the cops are you know, they're spouting a lot of the lingo, a lot of the cliches are in play here. But that being said, I've seen a lot of cop media over the years, as have most of us, because it's like half of everything that's out there. And I did feel like all of the purely cop scenes were really well done. I mean, you have a great cast of character actors that are filling out the rest of the police precinct here, so you know, everybody's doing a great job. Everything feels like, like realistically gritty and doesn't feel you know, they're kind of going for that to live and die in La Vibe, which isn't you know. It's not too far into any kind of like noir or neo noir. It's maybe a little more in keeping with some of the like the mainstream cop TV show stuff that's out there, you know, I'm thinking about even stuff like The Wire, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're right. I mean, it is doing a thing that is familiar with the cops, but it's doing it pretty well. Yeah, And I would also flag that it's doing a slightly different thing because we're used to seeing these like gruff, hard working cops that are like, you know, ribbing each other and everything. But the context in which they're doing that in this movie I picked up was that these cops are overworked. They're public servants who are being there being sort of overworked work to the bone, and we are seeing them coping with that scenario. So it's kind of like RoboCop in that sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, there is a strong sense of burnout too, certainly to Michael Nory's character a detective back here. So yeah, Norri's great in this. I wasn't super familiar with him. His credits go back to nineteen sixty eight, and at this point he had already played Count Dracula on NBC in a nineteen seventy nine TV serial. But don't get too excited, because it was the Curse of Dracula, in which the Prince of Darkness is teaching college in San Francisco. So still, you look at the stills and you look at Michael Norri in this film, and you can totally imagine this guy playing Dracula, regardless of the tone.
Speaker 3: You know, I was trying to think who Michael Norri reminds me of other actors who were in the same kind of zone. He's a little bit more macho, but very much reminds me of Chris Sarandon, who also played a Dracula character. They have similar like, you know, voluminous, lush, curly hair.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah. He also reminded me just a little bit of Stephen Bauer. M Okay, yeah, So but anyway, Yeah, Noori's great. Here, let's see he another major thing he was in. He played Jennifer Beal's romantic romantic interest in the nineteen eighty three film Flash Dance, which I haven't seen in a bit, but you know, amazing theme song on that. As we've discussed in the show before.
Speaker 3: Hold on, was that the the fulchy musical movie flash Dance? No?
Speaker 2: No, Flash Dance is the murder rock I think he murder rock? Yeah, murder rock would have been, in my opinion, would have been tremendous had the music been good. I didn't. I really wanted to be on board for murder rock, but I did not like any of the murder rock music.
Speaker 3: Oh that's a bummer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. Maybe I'm being too harsh, but at any rate, Nori's subsequent film output includes nineteen nineties Captain America from Albert Pune.
Speaker 3: Oh, the one with Salinger in it with what's his name?
Speaker 2: Uh? Oh?
Speaker 3: I always forget his first name? Hold on, yeah, J D.
Speaker 2: Salinger's son, is that, yes, playing Captain America.
Speaker 3: That's right? Hold on, let me, I'm sorry, DJ Salinger. I think I just looked it up. Sorry, I always forget his first name, Matt Salinger, as we've talked about how maybe we should do the Pune Captain America at some point, especially because I've seen it, but it's been so long I barely remember it. I remember it being funny.
Speaker 2: I definitely watched it.
Speaker 3: I remember it being funny. But the strange thing is, after we did the episode on Nemesis, I was reading that there's apparently another cut. There's like a substantially different re edit of Pune's Captain America, which people say makes it a lot better. So I don't know, and check it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, let's see. Other films include nineteen ninety ones The Psychic and ninety five's Hologram Man. But with lots of TV work on major shows including The OC and Damages, and he recently recently appeared on the popular series The Pit. Yeah, all right, let's talk about some getting a little factioning with the rest of the cast here and spending a little less time with them. Let's get into some cops of note here. One of them is Lieutenant John Masterson, played by Clarence Felder born nineteen thirty eight, American character actor of stage, screen, and TV's credits include eighty six as Ruthless People and eighty nine's Nightmare on Elm Street, The Dream Child. He acted on Broadway and worked extensively in television. He's also written and produced solid as one of the cops is the Lieutenant. Here, he indeed gets possessed by the space Slug and has a great run in space Slug possession mode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he does a rampage inside a police station much like the original Terminator movie. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So we'll come back the specifics of that later, but he's great. Loved him, all right. We also have Lieutenant Ed Flynn and he's played by klu Galligher. Small role does allow the you know, the character to have the old Gulligher shine and you know you always can recognize that voice and that drawl, but does not get space slugged, which I took his relief.
Speaker 3: Oh wait, you didn't want him to get slugged. I didn't want him to get slugged.
Speaker 2: No, No, I didn't think he needed he needed to take one off. Last time we watched the Clue Galligher movie, he got killed by mute cat. So I was like, let him have this one. Let him have this one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, oh that was Uninvited.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. Yeah, nineteen yeah, yeah, was that ninety eight? Do I have that wrong in my notes?
Speaker 3: That's definitely wrong.
Speaker 2: That's definitely wrong.
Speaker 3: It's much eighty nine, more like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it feels like seventy eight. Yeah. So yeah, he was in The Uninvited And we previously talked about that. He had a great TV heavy run as an actor in mostly westerns back in the sixties, but then became a horror movie staple in the nineteen eighties, and in this film, in the Hidden he was coming off roles in a Nightmare on Elm Street Part two and The Return of the Living Dead, which is a big one. That's that's a huge part of his you know, late career turn back into horror.
Speaker 3: Very funny. In Return to the Living Dead and Nightmare on Elm Street Part two, he plays the protagonist's dad, I believe, and I think he gets attacked by an exploding parrot.
Speaker 2: Oh nice, all right. Another cop of No We Have willis Cliff Willis, and he's played by Ed o' ross born nineteen forty nine, American character actor with a great face and a knack for playing tough guys from cops to gangsters, and then back to cops again, and then back into gangsters again. In fact, he played the gangster Itchy in nineteen nineties Dick Tracy. I included images of this character Jove, you don't remember. I think his whole thing is that, you know, like all the villains in Dick Tracy, if you don't remember, are like comic book mutants, and they're not supposed to be mutants, but they take a special effects, makeup heavy approach to portraying the the unrealistic way that they were portrayed in the original comic books. Itchi's whole thing, though, is he's just Itchy. I think he has psoriasis or something. I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: I remember there's one called little Face. The little face and a big head.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, really, I mean it feels like body heart. When you have characters like that and prune Face and shoulders and so forth, all of them looks like monster men. Itchi less so, but also memorable. And if my vague memory is correct on this, I think Itchi had a pretty strong run in the film. I think he had a fair amount of screen time. Some of these mutant mobsters got killed off pretty quickly.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Other credits. Other films people might know him from include eighty seven's Lethal Weapon, eighty seven's Full Metal Jacket, eighty eight's Red Red Heat, as well as Action Jackson and nineteen ninety two's Universal Soul. He also played a cop twice on Seinfeld and is still still active, still playing cops, I imagine. So, I mean, you know, like I say, a great, great character actor with a you know, a real real shine for playing you know, kind of heavies. I also have to really give him credit because he's like, what is he six sixth billing here in this film? Very much playing a supporting role, but on like the poster for the addition that I rented, and really one of the main posters for this film in general. His face is plastered all over it. So half of his face, yeahs, half of his face on the poster. So what a coup, right, I mean, well done. I don't know how it happened.
Speaker 3: Well, if I had to guess, it's because some climactic events take place while he is being space slugged.
Speaker 2: That's right, he gets space slugged and he's he's really good in that role. Yeah, all right, let's talk a little bit about the Beck family. This again we have Detective Beck, and this is the Detective Beck's wife and child, you know, side characters, but important ones. His wife, Barbara Beck, is played by Catherine Cannon born nineteen fifty three, mostly a TV actress whose biggest main cast shows were Father Murphy and Beverly Hills nine O two one. Oh. And then we have the little girl, Juliet Beck, played by Kristin Clayton. Child actress. She played a little girl in Nightmare on Elm Street three as well as Nightmare on Elm Street four, and was also a little girl in an episode of Freddie's Nightmares, Oh.
Speaker 3: The Freddie TV show. It's strange that we have all these Netmore on Elm Street connections going beyond just the second one, which.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like it would make sense that there would be one, you know, tied to the movie that the director had done. But it's just in general, a lot of Nightmare on Elm Street energy here. She was also in the Gromlins movie Munchies Strike Back in ninety four. That was a Jim win Norski film. All right, and then we have some civilians of note. First of all, we have, let's see Jack deav Rise. I believe his name is Debreez Jacktavrees. We never really get to know this guy because this is our initial parasite host.
Speaker 3: We only know him under the influence of space slug.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And he is played by Chris Moulky, American character actor with a very expressive face. Again, another great character actor with a with wide range. But he might be most recognizable to many folks out there for playing the villainous Deputy Ward in nineteen eighty two's First Blood. That was if you don't remember that as a Rambo movie, that was the first Rambo movie, right, This was the first one. That's one where he's in the woods, right.
Speaker 3: Right, because you know, you know the titles, the progression of titles. You got First Blood, First Blood, Part two, Rambo and then Rambo three and then Rambo.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So yeah, Molky's in that one, playing kind of a sadistic deputy. He's he's been active since the mid seventies, still highly active today. Also a blues musician. Other credits include eighty four's Dreamscape, as well as Runaway, the Michael Crichton tiny robot movie that we should probably do at some point. He was in nineteen nineties K nine thousand. This is a cyborg dog movie. I included the poster for you here, Joe, and I encourage everyone to look it up. Looks incredible.
Speaker 3: It looks like a cross between Rin ten ten K nine Cop and night Rider.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this particular box art says man's best friend, crime's worst enemy. The dog of the future is here. The robot dog, I think a cyborg of some sort. I don't know, don't know the details, don't know how much is dog, how much is machine? Oh but anyway. Molki was also in Ghost in the Machine from ninety three, which we previously covered on Weird House Cinema. But I don't recall off hand who he played in that or how significant his role was.
Speaker 3: I don't remember. I mean funny, this is not our only connection to Twin Peaks. In the Hidden he was also in Twin Peaks. He plays Hank. He plays one of the bad guys in Twin Peaks.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, he has a lot of range, but he does bad guy well. And in this he yeah, as we'll discuss. Yeah, he's our first host of the parasite.
Speaker 3: His role in Twin Peaks is kind of interesting because he's part of like a succession of never ending. There's a worse guy revelations in Twin Peaks. You know, there's like kind of a scary guy at the beginning, and then there's a scarier guy who scares that guy, and then there's a scarier guy who scares the scarier guy, and this is like the third scariest guy.
Speaker 2: All right, let's see. Another civilian of note is the character Jonathan Miller played by William Boyett, who lived nineteen twenty seven through two thousand and four. Believe it or not, another tough guy actor with a lot of crime and cowboy roles going back to the nineteen fifties, played a lot of cops, played a lot of military guys, mostly in supporting roles. His other film credits include seventy nine's When a Stranger Calls, ninety ones The Rocketeer, as well as Strays, a Killer Cat movie which also featured Claudia Christian who's in this, as well as ninety five's Theodora Rex That was a film that starred Whoopy Goldberg, a dinosaur, Carol Kine, and Bud Coourt. Amazing, but Boyet is great here. In fact, for me, I thought he was a real highlight of the film. We never meet his human character, but his body gets to play host to the alien parasite for an extended stretch and probably the I mean there's a lot of violence in his stretch, but also there's a lot of humor in his stretch. But he's great.
Speaker 3: I'd say his arc is the funniest of all of the possessions in the movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, he's really good. He has really great steely eyes. Reminded me like not only his eyes but also kind of as like general build. I got a little bit of a George C. Scott kind of vibe from him. And yeah, he does a really great job generating the feeling of unknowable alien presence that is doing expected things but also unexpected things and it's strange quest to survive.
Speaker 3: He has eyes that say I'm hungry. It's like I want I want that, which he says also out loud a number of times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he is a the the entity. As we'll discuss, it is interesting to try. You spend a lot of the movie when things are not exploding, sort of trying to understand what it wants, and in many ways. What it wants is very obvious. It's some sort of a creature of yeah, of want and desire. It it wants to control, It wants to survive, It wants to cause pain. But it also like it just it likes music, really likes music, heavy metal, heavy metal especially. It doesn't really I don't think it would like ambient all that much. And anytime things not rocking it can produce anger. But we never really explore why. We're just kind of left to sort of imagine, like, you know, what is it about the music that is it enjoy music in the same way we do, or is there some something else that ties into its alien nature that's important here.
Speaker 3: It seems to like, you know, it likes breaking the law, breaking the law, and I think it's that the spirit of breaking the law in heavy metal, that is what it likes about heavy metal.
Speaker 2: Fair.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it's the sonic qualities quite so much, though, then again, I don't know. We do see it kind of bobbing its head to the music occasionally, Yeah, but it also likes using loud music to intimidate other people, you know, like it likes to turn up the loud music in the in the diner and refuse to turn it down when when asked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, so yeah, I enjoy I look forward to talking more about this performance. Other like non police characters of note, here we have the actor John McCann playing Senator Holt TV actor going back into the Field, whose film credits include eighty three's Erotic Images as well as Scarface. He does pop up in Scarface. And then we mentioned Claudia christian Is in this. She plays this character Brenda, and Brenda is essentially a This is another case where we get sort of two performances because when we meet her, she's a sort of world weary, you know, slightly worn out and much in the same way that the cops are tired out. She's very tired. She's a dancer at this club. But then she gets possessed by the bas slug and becomes a machine gun toting alien psychopath as well and gets to really blow things up terminator style. Yes, so we've actually talked about her before because she popped up in nineteen eighty nine's Arena Arena being the sort of Star Trek the Alien Boxer movie that I thought it was a lot of fun and had some great Aliens in it. But yes, she is one of the supporting human actors in that film.
Speaker 3: I had forgotten about that, but you're right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, most people, I think, are going to be familiar with her work on the sci fi or I would say most people of a certain age are going to remember her from Babylon Five, where she played Commander Susan Ivanova. I don't know if people were watching Babylon Five these days, because it was, but it was at the time, you know, a very ambitious sci fi series that got into the sort of space opera treks sort of universe area made at the time really captivating use of computer generated effects, and so that makes me wonder like how well it has actually held up to modern viewing. But I remember at the time thinking it was really cool.
Speaker 3: I actually never watched it, but I got the impression that it was trying to be a rival to Star Trek to create a kind of equally expansive lore and its universe and all that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I had some some really neat alien species and cultures and all. Let's see, Okay, who else do we have here? Oh yeah, Danny Treehouse shows up as a prisoner.
Speaker 3: He has one line, but it's very memorable.
Speaker 2: Yeah he does, Yeah, he yeah, and it's it's a role with lines. He shows up blade in the film. He's an inmate during the big showdown at the at the jail. And this was pretty early on for him. This was his fourth credited screen appearance, very soon on the heels of his appearance in eighty five's Runaway Train. That was a film where the made use of his experience as an actual incarcerated individual. And I believe he was also Eric Roberts boxing coach on that film. But yeah, at this point he's been in a bazillion films and still still very much active. Oh and we have another nightmare connection here. Last actor I'm gonna mention for this movie, we have Roy the Dog playing the dog Jake dates Dog, the dog that.
Speaker 3: Has given free reign of crime scenes.
Speaker 2: By the way, Yes, yes, because he is. Yeah, he's one of the lieutenant's dog, So Roy the Dog. I couldn't find any dates for Roy. I believe he's currently living upstate and is fine. Though has not been in movies and decades. Jake's big breakthrough came in the form of nineteen eighty four Is Up the Creek, in which he played Chuck the Wonderdog. Jake's other credits include eighty five's The Explorers, nineteen eighty eight's a Nightmare on Elm Street four, The dream Master, eighty eight's Two Moon Junction that's a Zalman King film, and oh yeah, the nineteen eighty eight talking horse movie Hot to Trot starring Bobcat Goldway and John Candy. Oh and he's also in Peter Bogdanovich's Texasville in nineteen ninety. So really quite a canine filmography here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is quite the RESUMEA. So this is our fourth now Nightmare on Elm Street Connections. Yeah, yeah, strong nightmare energy here for sure. Amazing.
Speaker 2: And I'll just mention real quick that the visual effects supervisors credited here were Lorenzo Contreras as well as Justin Claren Beck. I don't know either of these individuals super well, but for their credits include let's see. Contreras worked on Blake Trinity two thousand and four, Sin City two thousand and five, two thousand and seven's The Missed, twenty thirteen's Warm Bodies, and clari Ambeck worked on eighty seven's Lost Boys eighty eights, Phantasm two and eighty nine's National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation and then getting to the music here. Michael Convertino born nineteen fifty two did the score. His first score was actually the one to Tim Burton's nineteen eighty four short film Franken Weeney. Subsequent credits include eighty six's Hollywood Vice Squad and also Children of a Lesser God from the same year, Bull Durham in eighty eight, ninety fives Things to Do in Denver when You're Dead, and ninety seven's Jungle to Jungle.
Speaker 3: Saw that one in the theater Okay as a child.
Speaker 2: Even Jungle to Jungle probably needs a score. Not every film needs a score, but hard to imagine Jungle to Jungle going without one.
Speaker 3: Just you know, we're not haters here, but that was not one of my best theater going experiences.
Speaker 2: Finally, I will mention real quick that the soundtrack on this film is really fine. We mentioned that the alien really likes the music, so there's a lot of you know, there's a lot of needle drop in this one. It features Let's See the Truth, the Lords of the New Church, hunters and collectors, and concrete blonde. Yeah, and maybe one or two other artists that we'll mention when we get into the plot.
Speaker 3: It's got a metal band called Shock Paris that they play the opening song, or not the opening song. The song's in the opening chase scene. I guess we're about to talk about it anyways, do so okay? Yeah, yeah, time for the plot? Anything else?
Speaker 2: I think that's it, let's jump into it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay. So the film opens on grainy, black and white security camera footage from the lobby of a bank, and at first there's just quiet, uneasy music playing. We see customers coming and going, lining up for the tellers, security guards wandering around. Nothing much is happening. Then a tall man in a trench coat enters the frame and he stands with his back to the camera, not moving for a few minutes while people walk around him. And then from the back of the bank where the vault is, we see a group of men in uniform coming out through the lobby. I think these are supposed to be armored truck couriers. And when they get close, suddenly the man in the trench coat whips out a huge shotgun and just starts blasting. He kills the couriers seemingly also just kills some random people standing around. He walks over, he picks up a few small bags of cash, and then before he leaves, he stops and looks straight up into the security camera and gives a huge grin all teeth.
Speaker 2: And it's alarming how quickly this starts, Like the shotgun blasts begin when we just have the security camera footage, which I thought was just going to be there to play behind the credits. I thought, nothing's really going to get started. I could get up and you get a cup of coffee, or go use the restroom if I need to, because nothing's happening yet. But no, this movie's off to the races already.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So now we're out of the security camera footage. We're in full color and we see outside the bank, and to my surprise, this is a branded bank massacre scene. So you see the like the logo up front it says Wells Fargo Bank. It's like, did they pay for that placement?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Did they tell them what sort of movie they were going to be filming there on a Sunday morning? I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know. So once the perpetrator is outside, we see that this is Chris Maulky. This is the guy I always think of his Hank from Twin Peaks. He kills another security guard on the way out, and then he after all of the shooting, he plods rather calmly toward his car. He pays no attention to the people who are screaming and running for cover all around him. There was a weird thing I noticed the second time I watched this, which is his clothes. We mainly see he's got a trench coat on on the outside that he was concealing the shop, but underneath the coat he is wearing what looks like a pink and lavender plaid blazer, a pale pink shirt with a yellow and blue striped tie, and low rise loafers like a little slip on loafers. So apart from apart from the trench coat, he doesn't look dressed for crime. He's dressed more likes he's like the mayor of Easter Bunny Village. And suddenly he just grabbed a shotgun and threw on a trench coat and went to do crime.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's telling Yeah, and second viewing, because we know that he has spacelug, that he is. This is just a body worn by something, and it is not the first body that it has worn.
Speaker 3: Right, But there's no indication of this at first, so we're just watching a guy doing crime. He just he So he goes to his car, which is a black sports car Ferrari, I assume, because we will learn that this villain is obsessed with Ferraris. He tosses the gun and the money into the car. He gets in and then he pops in a heavy metal cassette tape and then revs the engine and peels away, and pretty much the whole time here his expression, his expression is totally flat. There's no excitement, no urgency, no distress. It just kind of stonefaced. And this leads into an extended, high octane, hyper violent car chase where Mulki is driving. He's like the car just screaming through the streets of LA with police vehicles in pursuit. He's got his metal blasting. And this is the part where it very much reminded me of watching somebody play Grand Theft auto. He's just careening around. He is paying no heed to human life or property. He's just out there having a good time. And the song that's playing I wanted to look this up because I was like, is this maybe Iron Maiden or Judas Priest. It's roughly in that zone British fast tempo metal, kind of rob halford sounding vocals, But I looked it up and it's not either of them. It is called on your Feet by a band called Shock Paris, but Shock is spelled shok. I think this song was selected in part because it one thing, is just fast metal, so it sounds appropriate, but also it has lyrics that sound vaguely like they are advocating the commission of crimes. It's very you know, take take what you can. You know, the fires are raging, it's all for the taking, that sort of thing. So the cops chase Mulky around LA while he's evading them, and Mulky he's mostly stone faced, but he does kind of smirk a little bit when he gets opportunities to hit random civilians with his car. He also takes an opportunity to drive through a pane of plate glass that some installers are carrying across the road, and that was funny because that was like, okay, the glass movers moving the glass. That did not work in a melon card, but you could have seen that coming next. But by this point we start to get to get the picture that maybe the bank robbery wasn't primarily about money. This guy just seems to enjoy break in the law.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is a full blown rampage.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Meanwhile, elsewhere we meet up with another character. This is Detective Tom Beck played by Michael Newy. He is interviewing the neighbors of the character played by Mulkey, who we learn is named Jack Devrees, and his neighbors say, oh, such a polite man, very nice man, a real gentleman. So it seems like this guy Davrees has been on a multi day crime and murder spree, and Beck, along with his partner, Detective Cliff Willis played by ed O Ross, are working the case. In the middle of an interview with the neighbor, Willis comes running up to tell Beck that they know where Devrees is. He's in a car chase in West Hollywood, so they hop in their car and go to intercept. This car chase ends in a police barricade of the road. When Beck and Willis show up, we meet another character, Detective Sanchez played by Richard Brooks. The police line up behind their cars crosswise on the road. The aim shotguns. Dvrees approaches the roadblock at full speed and he's still bobbing his head to shock Paris, so he doesn't seem worried at all about this barricade. He never slows down. He just smashes straight through in a hail of gunfire, seemingly like taking tons of bullets in the process. And then his car eventually comes to a stop when it crashes into a wall behind the barricade. Defrees gets out of the car the crash car, he's covered in blood, and then he smiles, like what a great time we're all having. The car explodes in a gigantic guzzoline fireball, as you know cars in these movies are wont to do. And I guess that we think, well, okay, that's the end of Defrees. He exploded in Fireball, right, couldn't be any more of him, all right.
Speaker 2: But that it's not necessarily the case. And really this is gonna this is going to teach us what to expect out of the space lug here and it's it's it's hosts. We're going to quickly learn that whatever body it's controlling, it can take a whole lot of damage, and it doesn't seem to have to worry about any risk to itself. So it's not that it is I mean it's it's not that the body is maybe even protecting it, but maybe like it in and of itself, it cannot be harmed by bullets. Yeah, so anything, any damage you're doing, it doesn't care. It knows it cannot be hurt by what you were doing.
Speaker 3: That's right. Yeah, we'll talk about that more later. But here we cut to Mulky in a hospital bed. He looks like melted, burned to a crisp and detectives Beck and Willis are in the room with him, where a doctor tells them that this guy probably is not going to survive the night. In fact, they have no idea how he is still alive at the moment, and the detectives are like, good, hope he dies. For some reason, the doctor tries to argue with them as they're walking away, like, I don't know, why would the doctor bother trying to argue with them about that.
Speaker 2: I mean, it could be I mean, granted, these are detectives, right, but I mean I've been in hospitals before where I've seen medical staff put but police officers in their place, you know, so, I think sometimes it does come down to, you know, whose turf this is?
Speaker 3: You know, well, I could imagine that happening if they're trying to do something that the cop. But like they just express a sentiment and then walk away. He like chases after them to be like, you're wrong to say that. So I know he's standing for the battles, doc, right, yeah, yeah, he's standing up for the value of human life, or at least what he thinks is human life. But then Willis explains their point of view. They're like, no, this guy. He just starts rattling off the list of every horrible thing this guy has done. He lists all of the murders, and then after the murders, he moves on to talking about all of the Ferraris this guy stole. But it's like, is that important to mention after you've already talked about the murders.
Speaker 2: Think about the ferraris, the poor blameless Ferraris.
Speaker 3: Yeah so, but yeah, so he explains all the gruesome murders into pravities and he just leaves the doctor standing dumbfounded in the hall. Well, the two detectives, they head back to the station station, we meet a few more characters and get some plot exposition. We meet Klu Guliger as you said, Gulligher. I guess it's Gulligher. Yeah, yeah, I can't remember which one it is, so I don't sorry, I assume you're right. So Clu Gullagher as Lieutenant Ed Flynn and Clarence Felder as Lieutenant John Masterson, they're the bosses at the station, and these are going to be your guys who are there to say, you're a loose cannon mcgarnagald, you got a hand in your badge, here's your new partner, all that kind of stuff, taking it too personal, taking it too personal. So they're having an argument about who is going to be assigned to the protection detail for a visiting politician named Senator Holt who is expected to announce that he's running for president while in the city, and we see some Senator Holt ads on TV later. His brand is I'm a good politician. I'm the kind who does good things and helps people, and so Flynn wants Flynn wants Michael Newi assigned to protect the senator. After all, it would be terrible for the department's reputation if something happened to him while he was in the city, and Masterson wants him to use the Edo Ross character instead, He's like, he's a change de man now. They don't say what his issue before was, but anyway, the argument is neutralized by the arrival of a new character. There's somebody from the FBI who needs to meet with Lieutenant Masterson. The door opens and in walks Kyle McLaughlin. So this is pre Twin Peaks post done Kyle, and he introduces himself as Agent Lloyd Gallagher, who is in town running down a federal case against their suspect of devrees. He needs to borrow their best man to help him work the case while he's in town, so he needs Beck. Beck is not happy to be paired with Gallagher. I think, for one thing, it's just going to be additional work for him. Like he has his own cases to deal with and nobody's around to take those over, so he's just also now got to go around hand holding this fed all day on top of all of his own cases.
Speaker 2: This is definitely a cop movie that acknowledges that there is paperwork to be done and that you know this not just super copping it up all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So, as we mentioned earlier, there are a lot of cop movie cliches here, dynamics that feel familiar, but they're done pretty well here. So some of the things that will be familiar are mismatched new partners, federal versus local, jurisdictional conflict, killer on the loose. You know, the clock is ticking, but the cliches feel fresh to me here. I think for two reasons. One is the sci fi element, which will come into play pretty soon in the movie. And then the second thing that I think really makes them feel different. Even the things that are familiar feel different is the presence of Kyle McLaughlin. Like his screen presence, he is not a normal law enforcement movie character or Gallagher has this soft, gentle, ethereal presence. I kept thinking of him like he was a ghost who had come back from the other side to like bring knowledge or whisper warnings about the crimes of the future or whatever. And I think there are a lot of things about this. One is the way that McLaughlin plays the character. Another thing is the way even his makeup is done. Like I think he's a little bit overpowdered, making him slightly look a little bit corpse like, but also look kind of young and innocent, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good that's a good note. Yeah, and he does have that young and innocent quality, but also at the same time he's very confident, yes, and seemingly unafraid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, confident, but not brash. It's a it's a very reticent, soft spoken confidence, if that makes any sense. Like, he's a hard contrast with Michael Newry's character, who is tough, cynical and just flush with attitude and testosterone. And that is also the general tone of the detective's open office, which is it's like a high school locker room. You know, it's just like this constant back and forth of crude jokes and insults and all that. Meanwhile, coll McLachlin comes into the room and he's just a warm breeze off the sea. And so anyway, you know, they compare notes and Gallagher fills back in about his fugitive. It is Devrees, So uh oh, this is new information for Gallagher. His suspect is already in the hospital about to die. Nuri thinks like, oh, okay, well that means I don't have to help the FBI guy after all, you know whatever, this is already done. Gallagher receives this information with urgency. He hurries off to see the purp, but he will not get a chance because the next we cut to the hospital and we get one of the most amazing scenes in the movie. Devrees, still burned to a crisp, is lying on the hospital bed. And at this point, if you go in without knowing anything in advance, you might still think this is a totally normal terrestrial killer, you know, serial killer movie or not serial killer, you know crime crime and cop movie. But we see him lying there. Chris Malkey's lying on the hospital bed sharing a room with another patient in the bed next to him. Now, normally I would wonder, if there is a suspected mass murderer under arrest in the hospital, do they have him share a room unattended with another patient. I don't know, that's a little I do understand the hospitals do a lot of cost cutting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they can be crowded certainly, depending on what's going on.
Speaker 3: But I would tend to think, I don't know, you wouldn't just leave another guy in there with the with the guy who just you know, ran the ferrari through the police barricade anyway.
Speaker 2: But necessary to grease the plot here.
Speaker 3: Right, so suddenly defrees sits straight up in his bed, awake, He in a profunctory way, just yanks all the tubes out of his body, staggers over to the guy in the other bed, pulls the other guy's tubes out, holds the other guy's mouth open, opens his own mouth, grimaces, and then behold the glory of slug. So out of the mouth come these tarantula legs, just hairy black spider legs, coming up past the lips, gripping the outside of the chrismulky face and pulling the rest of the body out through the lips. The rest of the body is this black slug, the size of a bread loaf, with whipping tentacles, with the hairy black tarantula legs, and a sort of head that looks a bit like some a sea creature, kind of a sea horse head, but covered in a gelatinous, translucent membrane like a slimy, clear plastic bag that all oozes out of Devreeze's mouth and then into the mouth of the other patient. It is one of the greatest, like, what the hell scenes I've ever seen, Like ten thumbs up to the scene.
Speaker 2: Yes, the space slug transfer scene. It just incredible, incredible bit of effects work here in the design of the creature is tremendous as well. In that special effects feature on the disc that I checked out, they pointed out that apparently the original script called for it to be some sort of an amorphous black mass, so maybe something that was maybe more blob like, or even maybe more plasma like. I don't even know if it was necessarily even liquid like. Maybe it's something else, But the effects team moved more towards an indo parasite design, and I lovingly keep thinking of it as a space slug, and we're going to keep calling it a slug, but it does have slug like qualities we already have touched on, how you know, kind of has Tarantula's legs at the start. By and large, it kind of reminds me a little bit of certain Noodi Bronc species, you know, which is to say, it looks really alien, unique design, and so much of its functionality is also visible in the design. You know, the long trailing tentacles, those are going to come into play later. We come to imagine that those must weave throughout the body of the possessed, you know, almost almost like puppet strings. Ah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what I was gonna say, is like they go to every finger in tow. You know, they they are the things that control the body with by by twitching the little nerves.
Speaker 2: Another great thing, the really interesting thing that the Shoulder had to say about this sequence is that they shot this sequence and they did it. It's so well done here, And he pointed out, you only need to see this once in the movie, so you're not gonna there are gonna be plenty of other host transferences that take place, but you're not going to see another one exactly. This is the only time we're going to get the long drawn out transfer sequence. And yeah, he says, like, once you've seen it the one, you don't need to see it again. You know, you don't have to. It's it's burned in the audience's mind. And I don't think it's an effect sequence that anyone is soon to forget it. And it totally stands up.
Speaker 3: I absolutely agree with that as a as a creative choice as well. It is much better to do it one time very well than to show it multiple times, because we can imagine what it's like the other times. Totally. Yeah. So the next thing we see after this is doctors are now in the room using defibrillator paddles to try to resuscitate the man who just received the slug. Somehow the process shocks the doctor who's doing the defib and sends him tumbling to the floor. And then suddenly the new slug host sits up. He opens his eyes and he has this expression on his face. It's that Boyett expression that's just like I want I'm hungry.
Speaker 2: Yes, yea, so good. It's just such a great performance here because yeah, he's like, he's like, I'm hungry. I need guns, need diner food, and I need some heavy metal music and I need all of it at the same time. Right.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, Agent Gallagher arrives at the hospital and gets a debrief from the doctors. We learned that the sky miller had a bunch of things wrong with him. He had severe gastritis, he had a triple bypass surgery, he had a massive coronary and somehow he just walked out of the hospital. Docs say they cannot explain it. Quote, but they say, quote, I know that's not the man you're looking for. Jonathan Miller would never do anything to break the law. He has a very kind, very honest gentleman. It's the second time they've used the word gentleman to describe somebody who's been possessed by the space Lug. And then from there we cut immediately to Miller in a record store shoplifting heavy metal cassette tapes, just putting them in his jacket pocket, just one after the others. Pretty great, Oh Maiden, Yeah, getting some Maiden. And then the cashier sees what he's doing and tells him to stop, and then Miller beats the guy to death with I think he's got a stun baton or something. He takes it from the guy, beats him with it, steals all the money in the cash register, also steals a boom box, and then walks out onto the sidewalk just blasting his metal tapes everywhere he goes.
Speaker 2: I have to wonder it was like a shock baton, like this was just standard issue for record stores back in the day. Because there was like a small record store in my hometown when I was in high school, A friend of mine worked there, and I remember her showing off the stun baton that they kept behind.
Speaker 3: The desk, and she's supposed to use it if I guess, Yeah, tried to steal steal a cassette.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I guess standard issue.
Speaker 3: Okay, so they So we're onto our second hop and the body hopping crime spree. Agent Gallagher comes back to the station and fills back in. Okay, Devrees is dead, but we've got a second suspect to track down. Now we're chasing Jonathan Miller. This leads into the setup for the rest of the movie, which will basically follow a pattern of the murder. Slug commits random crimes, seeks power, seeks pleasure, ultra violence, and then hops into a new body when the previous body becomes too damaged or used up, and then Gallagher and Beck will continue to track the slug through its hosts, occasionally getting close enough that there's a shootout or a car chase. And during their partnership, Beck and Gallagher first clash for various reasons, especially because Gallagher seems to know things about what is going on, like he's aware of the body hopping scenario and Beck is kept in the dark, at least at first. He only gradually becomes aware of the weirdness in play.
Speaker 2: So that's the main knowledge that Gallagher seems to be entering in with. Presumably because he's FBI, he knows already that there's something jumping from body to body and that the crimes are not going to end with the death of the suspect.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the relationship also develops because maybe it becomes apparent that there's something Gallagher is not letting on about himself as well. You know, we'll eventually discover what that is, but we'll hold on to that for just a moment. So one thing I guess we should do is just mention the succession of host bodies that the barf slug takes over. So you've got the Miller body first. In this body, the alien goes to a diner, eats breakfast while just like cooking the place with the metal from his cassette deck, so he's blasting it at his table. They ask him to turn on the volume and he won't.
Speaker 2: And then also just occasionally like belching and farting. Yes, because this is interesting to think about. We see that the parasite when it comes to stealing an automobile, goes straight for high performance. You know what's the fastest sports car that I can jump in and drive often with its human host. It's especially with the Miller body. You know, this is not a high performance. This is a Jalopy. This one was already this one was was set to be junked. But that doesn't seem to matter as much. Like he can see he can steal he yet whatever the gender of the alien here, it can jump into a body that is already almost dead and it can still do everything it needs to do. Presumably.
Speaker 3: I've got some thoughts about that that we'll come back to in just a minute, But first I'm going to mention the other things the boy at body does here. He attacks a Ferrari dealership because he like sees a lady driving a sports car on the street and then chases the car on foot but cannot keep up and then maybe having a heart attack or something. I don't know if he's having trouble, uh, And then he's like, Okay, I need to go steal a car. So he goes to a Ferrari dealership just kills a bunch of people in the process of stealing a Ferrari. U. Somehow off of this lead, he ends up getting a bunch of gun I think maybe the guy who was buying the car was an arms dealer.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, yeah, he ends up going to his house and getting a bunch of weapons.
Speaker 3: And he also there's cocaine everywhere in the sequence. Also, it's like, you know the Ferrari dealership. It seems to me it's just deriger that when you're buying a Ferrari the salesman gives you a few bumps of cocaine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he has the cocaine in the trunk of a toy car in his desk.
Speaker 3: Yes. And in this sequence we start to see a formulation that the slug host will speak. He says, I want this car, and the alien often says, without elaboration or explanation, simply I want X just says I want it. Uh. And somewhere in the middle here also, I think this may be after the cops go to the scene where the where the scene at this guy's house where all of the weapons were there is the most chekhoved of Chekhov guns in movie history. I think where you just see a cop walk into frame with a flame thrower, and it's just like, look at this awesome flame thrower. Wouldn't it be interesting if this showed up again in Act three?
Speaker 2: You know, I should have thought that, but I actually didn't. When the when the first time I watched it, the when the when the flamethrower does show back up again, I was like, whoa.
Speaker 3: Oh, okay, well no, no, no, I mean I think it was supposed to be a surprise, So I'm glad it worked for you. I think maybe maybe I'm overly attuned to check off guns. I'm always looking for them.
Speaker 2: Sometimes it's a lot more obvious, like how much time is going to be taken to discuss the functionality of the Chekhov's gun. Sometimes that's the case, you're like, oh, yeah, this is coming back for sure.
Speaker 3: So in the Miller Body this, the alien has continuous vehicle maintenance issues, as we were just discussing, So there's all this stomach gurgling. I think maybe he's literally having heart attacks when he exerts himself, but he just pushes through. And I think there's another subtle theme here in the movie about the way the alien just uses up human bodies, Like the alien seems superhuman when in his host and I think it is the case that our Earth weapons cannot harm the space Slug. We will later learn there's an alien weapon that can be used to harm the slugs in its own true form. But the bodies, the bodies that it inhabits, can themselves be damaged. But it seems like they can absorb an awful lot of damage before they finally shut down, Like he will, the you know, the space slug in Miller body and in these other bodies will just keep getting shot and injured and still keep pushing on. I was kind of thinking that maybe it's not so much that the slug makes the bodies super resilient. Rather, it's more like the slug is thinking, I will drive this car until the wheels fall off.
Speaker 2: I think that's that. Yeah, it's absolutely drive into the ground.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, So that a lot of the things that would stop a human from being able to continue are like needing to recover after an inner, an injury, or trying to prevent further injury or something, But the alien doesn't care about that. It's just it's just using our bodies up. And this actually mirrors something we see with other characters in the movie in relation to their work, like the cops in the police station, or also like the dancers, Like we see people just being worked to the bone with more and more responsibilities piling up, like there's no consideration of them as human beings. And you know, I think we see that maybe Beck's home life suffers from working too much. Yeah, so I think that's another one of the themes here. It's something about like exploiters using human beings up like their machines. They're just something to be operated to the point of failure and then discarded.
Speaker 2: M Yeah, that's a good read. I like that.
Speaker 3: Also, though on the more comedic side, there are these funny compatibility issues with the alien and the boyette body, Like we keep seeing the slugs tentacles accidentally poking out through an arm and spraying blood everywhere, and like the one part where like a tentacle pokes out of the arm and he's like, I get back in there, and he like tapes it up with a bunch of packing tape. There's another part where he's in a bar and I think tentacles are poking out and bleeding all over the place and the bartender is like, hey, what you got going on and he's just like whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Luckily the la of this film is hell City enough that the bartender is just like, are you're bleeding all over the place? All right, fair enough, buddy, but I just want to I check with you once. That's the law, that sort of thing. But you know, I mentioned how he doesn't seem too choosy about the bodies, but the next body that he occupies is going to be that dancer character played by Claudia Christian, and perhaps in that in this instance, he does realize like, well, this bodies kind of a piece of junk. This one was already mostly used up when I jumped into it. I'm gonna get a valuable body. I'm gonna get a body that is, you know, in peak condition. And then later he's going to realize, I think, or it's going to realize, you know, there's physical condition, but there's also sort of like their social status, there is political power. And what if I got a body that already had these powers just sort of you know, socially available to it. What could I do with such a body? Then?
Speaker 3: What if I got a body that could command other bodies?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that I don't just run this body into the ground. I can get a body that makes other bodies run themselves into the ground.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So anyway, so in the middle though, before we get the Claudia Christian possession, there's a dinner scene. The scene where they're working the case and Beck invites Gallagher back to his house to have dinner with his family. And this scene is interesting because as Kyle MacLaughlin seems very perplexed but also peaceful and happy to observe family life, Like there's a bit of us so this is how you how you creatures live.
Speaker 2: But also there's like, you know, maybe a class difference here, and also a single versus married slash family, right, a sort of scenario like single guy just has no idea how this works.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally. It could pass as like we're starting to get clues that maybe call MacLaughlin is not exactly what he says he is, but you're not. It's not one hundred percent clear like, oh, he's an alien, yet he could be just another you know, like a guy with a different kind of life. M It's like, I wonder what it's like to be married, to be a father or something like that. Oh, but also there are these weird moments, like when he's at Beck's house, Gallagher has a moment of staring in the mirror like curious and almost kind of afraid, looking like looking at his own flesh. Also in the scene, we learned that Gallagher does not react well to beer, and Beck warns him to stay away from alcohol thereafter. But back to the body hopping, so at this strip club that the slug goes to, it discards the Miller body and switches to the body of this dancer named Brenda Lee van Buren, and in this body, Brenda decides to do more crime. She leaves the strip club. She goes back to her car to have sex with a creep who was cat calling her on the sidewalk. She kills the guy in the process. Not sure exactly what happens here, we don't. It's kind of filmed from a distance.
Speaker 2: Death by snoozsnow. That's all we know, I think so.
Speaker 3: And then this flows into a car chase where Beck and Gallagher they arrive on Zcene. They find her and they chase her in this car in their cars until they crash into a building. This turns into a gunfight where they pursue her onto the roof, and eventually her body becomes badly damaged in the fight and she jumps from the roof. Now, this whole time, during the fight, Gallagher has had with him a strange weapon, shaped sort of like a gun, but with no visible moving parts. It's this solid piece of silver metal, and he seems to plan to use it on the alien, but only after the human body has been killed and the slug emerges from the mouth, and so it can only harm the slug in its exposed form. So here I guess we should divulge the full final twist. So putting things together, it starts to become clear that Gallagher is also not what he seems. We discover that he is also an alien, also inhabiting a stolen human body, the body of a dead FBI agent, which is also driving a stolen car. Yes, and driving a stolen sports car. Now he's not a spree killer like this other alien. He's not on a crime spree. We learn through subsequent developments. It doesn't all come at once, but we will learn that he is basically as sort of a energy being who is some kind of alien cop or law enforcement. I think he says he's from a planet called Altaire, which is the planet from Forbidden Planet, and he is named al Hog. He's been chasing the space slug across worlds because in another life on another planet, this slug killed his partner and his family. So when Beck starts getting some parts of this, he doesn't get the whole story at first, but he gets some parts of it, and he temporarily jails Gallagher in the middle of the movie because he doesn't believe this stuff. So Gallagher is not able to kill the slug when it comes out of Brenda's body. Before he can get down to it with his special alien weapon, it has jumped into a dog. Ye uh oh. I think this leads into a scene that feels to me inspired by the thing when the dog sneaks up. So it's Lieutenant Masterson's dog, the police chief's dog who is allowed to freely roam crime scenes for some reason, and this leads into the possession of Lieutenant Masterson, the boss of all the cops, and this leads into a rampage inside the police station like the scene and Terminator, where you get a very heavily armed Masterson blasting through the station. I believe the goal is to kill Gallagher. He's trying to get to Gallagher in his cell and eliminate him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, by the way, we would have never gotten to this point had the LA Police Department been using K nine thousand instead of traditional organic police dogs here.
Speaker 3: That's a good point that slug would try to get in the mouth and then be like in there exactly. So yeah, yeah, So you have the possessed Masterson fighting his way through the station, the other cops fighting back. There's a great Danny Treyhoe cameo in the scene. What exactly does he say? He calls somebody a hippie. He's like, what did that hippie guy do? Yeah?
Speaker 2: What kind of dude are you? He also says something like that, you know, just you know, sort of standard you know, purps calling from cells in a movie like this sort of thing. But yeah, super fun because it's Danny trehow and it's like, oh yeah, he's going to be in literally a million more films after this.
Speaker 3: So obviously, through this this attack, it actually confirms some of what Gallagher was telling Beck about about it being an alien that can hop their bodies. So Beck his his trust is one. Now back back to Gallagher. Gallagher and they are reunited in their interests in this big fight. But it's not over when Masterson is defeated.
Speaker 2: Oh man, is this the Masterson though? Is Masterson the one who suddenly he jumps out at them with a bazooka. Yes, yeah, and he's gonna shoot them at point blank range with a bazooka and nearly does, which you know, is is ludicrous and great but also like totally uh, you know, totally realistic for the space Plug to do, because Space Lug can't kill itself with the Bazuko blastback. It just wants to go ahead and kill these guys that are standing in the way of its ambitions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but so they temporarily get the upper hand on Masterson, but Masterson is the Space Lug's not defeated. It body hops into another person, into Willis Beck's original partner. Oh no, it's Edo Ross.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, and again he has a great grim face. And so once he's in slug mo tremendous, tremendous.
Speaker 3: So we've got real big problems here because this is the guy who's been assigned to cover security for Senator Holt.
Speaker 2: Senator Holt, who is about to announce his presidential campaign.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so this leads to an attack on Senator Holt, who in turn does get possessed by the Space Slug. During this they're trying, Gallagher and Beck are trying to prevent this. During the fight, Beck is severely wounded in a shootout and he gets taken to the hospital. So now Gallagher is left alone, and now the Slug is a highly protect to politician.
Speaker 2: And I thought this was going to be kind of the dark ending I was. I was watching the film, I thought, oh man, the Slug is safe. Now the Slug has ascended to a level of society where Tom maclaughlin's character Gallagher cannot touch him anymore, and this is just going to be kind of like the dark commentary on society here. I kind of it ends up not being the case. Yeah, I thought that too.
Speaker 3: But then, so what happens is at Senator Holtz next prece event, he's he gets a question, somebody asks him about his future political ambitions, and then he takes hold of the microphone and in a phrasing we've heard from the Space Slug many times already now, when he says, I want that car, I want whatever he now says, I want to be president. It's chilling and hilarious. This is great.
Speaker 2: This is of course, years before the Treehouse of Horror episode where King and Codos become So Kang. Yeah, the Force Citizen Gang, before you know, they become Dole and clint On. Uh but but very much the same energy.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, but then remember we mentioned Chekhov's flamethrower. In the middle of this press conference. In an absolutely shocking twist, Kyle McLaughlin Babyface Kyle McGlaughlin appears below the stage at the press conference with the flame thrower we saw earlier at the police station and torches the possessed husk of the politician. He's immediately surrounded by armed surrounded by armed men until we see the alien slug crawl out of Holt's mouth, and then Gallagher uses his alien weapon to finally terminate it once and for all. So the slug is defeated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like, yeah, so the politician's body is blackened and yeah, you know, totally scorched, and then the black slug comes out of the mouth and then yeah, it's like screaming or something, and he blasted with the alien gun. And again everybody witnesses this and they're kind of like, I guess they're like, Okay, maybe they're just still processing it. But everybody sees it. There's no second guessing what happened.
Speaker 3: Here, So you might think there couldn't be any more crazy twists coming after this, But then we get to the final ending, the coda, which is, I don't know, I've been very curious to hear what you think about this. So in the ending, we go into Beck's hospital room. We find that he is mortally wounded. He's lying in a hospital that the doctors are making it clear he's not going to survive much longer. We see his family is distraught. He's lying there dying, and then Gallagher is left alone with him in the room for a moment. Kyle McGlaughlin leans over Beck's body and transfers himself into Beck's dying body. Now he's not a black slug, He is some kind of like yellow stream of energy, like angelic light. But he takes over Beck's body and now instead of dying, Beck makes a shocking, sudden, full recovery. He pops up alive, and his family comes in and they're reunited. His daughter's like daddy, and she seems maybe a little concerned at first, but then it seems like, Okay, he's going to be accepted, but it's not really him. Nobody else knows, but we know it's al Hag, the alien possessing him. So I was like, what the like was this ending supposed to be sweet and happy or creepy and grim or like darkly comedic. I really can't tell, and I don't know, so, like, if it's actually supposed to be a happy ending, I think it mostly fails because while we can understand it from the alien's perspective, like mourning the loss of his own alien family, it's way too creepy from the perspective of Beck's family. But I don't know. I think maybe it's just supposed to be like a daring, like what the hell kind of ending where it makes sense that this is what happened, what would happen based on the characters that have been set up. But you're also thinking, I really just can't believe they did that at the end of the movie.
Speaker 2: It really I think you're right. I think it feels like a case where it was written as just like, let's go for it. What's the wildest ending we could we could really put together here. But then I feel like the director and the filmmakers involved here really probably set down and we're like, Okay, how are we gonna shoot this? Like what's what kind of tone are we going to go for? And they kind of walk it down the middle like they're not they're not completely going for dark. Uh, they maybe live a little room that wigal room. So if you you're not gonna maybe just consume it as the happy ending that you know you could I guess still could interpret it as. And it leaves you this space to sort of think about it and think about these bigger questions identity, Like, yeah, I was thinking about it quite a bit, because on one level, it does raise questions like, you know, you know, we've talked about this in the show before, like are you the same person you were before? You know, when you go in and you go into anesthesia and then you come out again, are you the same person after a traumatic experience? You know, there's a case to be made that you're not entirely you know, we change over time. And on the other hand, I mean not as as drastically.
Speaker 3: As another fully formed personality possessing your body, right, especially in secret.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So there's that angle, and then there's also the like like what would what would I want to happen? You know, like if I knew that I was dying, and you know, I'm going to leave people behind, but there but an alien that I know to be a good nature could like step in and become me and you know, continue to make me be there for my family for a bit longer. I don't know, I mean, yeah, there are all sorts of potentially, you know, there are all sorts of caveats that come up a lot of questions, how are you going to do this?
Speaker 3: You know, I assume you'd want your family to know though, right, I mean, like the thing is like the aliens are always they're blending in, like you never know that it's them until like the secret comes out. I guess.
Speaker 2: I guess. Like one of the questions is what would you do if you were in this position and you could assume the alien could completely take on your identity? We have no indication that that's the case here. If that's a power that al Hag has, it is not really spelled out. But if that were the case, like would you want that, you know, if you could be a perfect replica, and this perfect replica of you could then continue to be there for your family after you're gone, I don't know. And then then that kind of like then spirals back into into these bigger questions about identity and self and you know, and you know memories like the person you remember you were ten years ago? Are you still that person? Is that person still alive today? Or you somebody different? You know?
Speaker 3: And so for well, I mean, this does bring it back to like I think one of the major themes here of the the body hopping is like how do you know people are who they say they are? In both senses? Yeah, In one sense that's like are people identical to the person that they are claiming to be? Like are you really my husband? Tom? But then the other thing being like are you are you the way that you say you are? Which you get with the politician, you know, so they're like it's he's a guy who's like saying nice platitudes. But it's always something we wonder about people that we hand power to. Are they really going to be like with the way they say they are?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Or in either case, like is there at least metaphorically an entity inside them that has its own designs that you're not aware of, you know. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, though, I think that we can easily imagine that this portrayal will not last too long without the family discovery, because you know we saw earlier doesn't know how to how Alca celster work has to be explained to him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he eats the Alca Celtic.
Speaker 2: So like it's going to be like, you know, Dad's night to cook dinner, and then what is our space alien going to do? What is all ha going to do about that? When he doesn't know how to make you know, the back family pizza or whatever the case may be, it made you boiled potato chips. Yeah, but I love all of this. I love this about an ending that really makes you think and ask all of these questions and is just yeah, daring and weird. A nice weird capper to a weird movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally. So The Hidden not going to be for everybody, but I think it's very strong.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, this one's kind of a real gem that I'd never know outside of discussing it briefly in Weird House Cinema, I really didn't know anything about it. It was just kind of buried there. So I'm super glad that I got to jump into it totally. All Right, we're going to close it out here, but we'd love to hear from all of you out there. Do you have memories of watching The Hidden? Do you have any encouragement or warnings about seeing The Hidden? Part two? Right in, we'd love to hear anything you have to share about all of that other body hopping movies that we should know about or remember. It's very possible we have there's an episode, an episode of Weird Out Cinema where we've talked specifically about a body hopping movie and we just have forgotten that that's what it was. So yeah, right in, we'd love to hear from you. Just a reminder. The Stuff to Blow Your Mind is primarily a science and culture podcast with core episodes and Tuesdays and Thursdays, but on Fridays we set most of the serious stuff aside and we just talk about a weird film here on Weird House Cinema. If you use letterbox dot com, look us up on letterbox. We are weird House. There, follow us check out the list that we keep there. It has a collection of all the movies we've covered over the years. And sometimes a peek ahead at what comes out next. Wherever you get the podcast, rate reviews, subscribe and if you can find the podcast wherever you get your audio podcast. But if you were watching us on Netflix, then obviously you're getting to get the video portion of our conversation as well. And if you are in fact watching on Netflix, give us a thumbs up, give us two thumbs up, and maybe also asked to be reminded about future episodes.
Speaker 3: Huge thanks as always to our excellent audio producer JJ Posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.