Speaker 1: Warren.
Speaker 2: Today's episode Candad's spoilers for gen V season two, including the excellent episode seven and the season finale. Hello, I am is Jason and I'm Merday Night and welcome back to x Revideon of the podcast where we dive deep to your favorite shows, movies, comics of pop culture. Coming you from my heart, We're we're bringing you three episodes a week.
Speaker 3: In today's episode, me and Jason are going to be digging into the final three episodes of gen V, including.
Speaker 1: A question over whether episode seven or eight should be the finale.
Speaker 3: Ooh, but first let's get to godalkin you. So basically, last time we left off, we were at El Mirah and that is where we begin, and of course the group are able to break out again. They saved Annabeth's life and that was very good because she is secretly pre cognitive. Now, Jason question, is she pre cognitive because Marie gave her her powers? Or was she always pre cognitive? I am interested in that question. We get to see Emma and she saves Polarity aka Sweet Sweet, chases father Andre's father. He is being puppeted by Cipher, which will become a big plotline over the next couple of episodes, Cipher is sending out his best after Marie, but she is very powerful. Marie is also searching for shocking terms here and I think a comeback I did not see, and I may make an argument was a more interesting finale than the Peacemaker finale had to offer. We get a return from none other than Stan Edgar, someone I was not expecting to see and to be because of the nature of the fact that of where we first met the incredible actor. Oh my gosh, why am I forgetting his name? Oh my god, he's gonna be Charles Xavier. Why is this happening to me? The Internet? I know you can help me.
Speaker 4: Gian Carlos Posita, thank you.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 3: Because of where we originally met, Jihan Carlo Esposito, I do feel like whenever I see him, because of Breaking Bad, I immediately think pressed these TV show, So I think they did a really good job here. Unexpected to see the man who was part of you know, vot coming in as a helper, and then we learn what we had Alady suspected, which is essentially that Project Odessa has only had two successes, and they are Marie and Homelander. Obviously, that, you know, they didn't know Marie had powers when she was young, so they thought that it was a failure. Then this is the big one, guys, that has been annoying me. We get some Sam Emma time. We're gonna get a lot of it. It's gonna be very frustrating. I love this relationship in the first season. I do not think they're delivering here. I think it's very annoying. I also think Sam is not doing a good job at any kind of reconsider.
Speaker 2: I agree it's like a well, I will say that. Here's what I liked about it. It's will they won't they? In the in in theory, but it's also I kind of liked the angle of Sam isn'to Emma and Emma's just kind of over it, but is searching for a way to like let him off easy.
Speaker 5: Although at times it felt like is.
Speaker 1: That what they're doing?
Speaker 2: Like there were that it was just too ambiguous where I'm like, does she like it?
Speaker 1: Because?
Speaker 3: And now I'm like, I think the first I think in the first season it was such an interesting relationship of two people who are outside, two people who had tried their best to survive. And I do think that It's interesting to see them kind of unsure as.
Speaker 4: Real teenagers are.
Speaker 3: But at the same time, I also feel like, and this is an issue that I do think runs through these last three episodes, I also feel like.
Speaker 1: The show is slightly unsure.
Speaker 3: What to do with Sam, which I think is a shame because I just thought he was such an interesting character in the first season. We will now start to get to the meat of the season, and I want to say, lots of listeners were right about this, so giving you a lot of cheers, guys.
Speaker 4: Basically, they are starting.
Speaker 3: To notice that there are a lot of Thomas Godolkin connections with old Cipher. Is Cipher using Thomas Goadlkin's old research?
Speaker 4: What could Cipher be doing?
Speaker 3: And then somebody remembers, oh, wait, do you remember there was like a burnt up guy in his apartment? And do you remember how the beginning of the season there was Ethan Slater aka missus Ariana Grande aka Bockwoodsman from Wicked. And guess what, guys, it it probably is him in there. It's actually him, and I guess at this point they think that Cipher's plan is to use Thomas Kadawkins's body somehow try and work out some kind of plan.
Speaker 1: They don't realize the truth.
Speaker 3: Cipher then reveals his ultimate plan, which classic to early monologuing, is basically like Boom, I'm gonna kill all the week superheroes.
Speaker 4: Yes, okay, bro, what the fuck.
Speaker 1: Like that's your plan?
Speaker 4: Seems dumb?
Speaker 1: Why you worked at school?
Speaker 3: And then we obviously get the polarity showdown where he gets to take off his mask of civility and teaching and ends up kind of sticking up for his.
Speaker 4: Son who Cipher was?
Speaker 1: You know who?
Speaker 3: Cipher basically killed even though it was you know the who did what was? He forced Andre into killing himself by using his powers too much, And Marie and Kate are back friends again, another real relationship. I do not understand if I'm Kate, if I'm friends with Kate, She's getting her head chopped off, like I'm sick of her at this point.
Speaker 2: She's I am I found there, she is a betrayer, She's a mixed up.
Speaker 4: Kid, no will, she'sistic.
Speaker 5: I found there.
Speaker 2: I've found much of their relationship to actually be annoying over the course of the season, but I actually like surprising to me.
Speaker 5: I found their reunion to be Actually it hit home.
Speaker 2: I like, I actually was like I'm feeling this like I it was, I felt the emotion of that.
Speaker 3: I think that's the thing that keeps me watching this show is that the characters and the actors they do elevate it.
Speaker 4: Like a lot of times you'll be like, what is going on?
Speaker 3: Very teenage of them to be constantly falling in and out of romances and friendships and blah blah blah. But I'm also just like, at some point, you're like, this girl every single time, she's gonna betray you.
Speaker 2: Guys, Listen, I don't now I'm gonna stick up for Kate even though I agree with you. She is a betrayer, and if that happened to me, I would never forgive.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 2: I think Kate has gone with a broken power set that makes her extremely vulnerable, has gone to laudable lengths to try and make up for it, and has put herself in danger even though like her plans are pretty fucked up and bad, and she got them all thrown in prison once again. But I put herself out there.
Speaker 1: And I respect it as well.
Speaker 3: I will say, Kate, even though it is fucked up, has always been coming from a place of trying to protect her friends. That's why she's always wiping people's memories and stuff. So yes, okay, I will recap episode seven Annabath. She wakes up, she's looking for her sister, and no surprise, she's had a kind of you know, minority report styles.
Speaker 4: Pilarity basically tells.
Speaker 1: Them like, hey, this is really going not great, like I can fight him, but sure. Kate is also like this. I found very interesting.
Speaker 3: What are Marie's powers when it comes to healing soups versus healing their powers. That's a big conversation that Kate and Marie try to have. I was also disappointed this episode because we do start to get the kind of like fractures between Jordan and Marie, and I'm a big Jordan and Marie lover. Then we learn that Annabeth actually did always have original powers.
Speaker 1: She was not given her powers by Marie.
Speaker 3: She too had superpowers hers with just not as nightmarish as a blood bending. Then we get to the point where we learn that Polarity has his own scheme. He's taken his plan, He's going he's taken Cipher and he's gonna find out what happened.
Speaker 4: But remember, just like good old, good old.
Speaker 3: Charlesick Savior in the movie A Logan, there is Polarity has a degenerative illness that means that every time he uses his powers, he is kind of fucking up his brain a bit more there was there's a big seizure here.
Speaker 1: It's definitely an als kind of illness. But and I have to say, I didn't see this coming.
Speaker 3: I'm interested to see other people's conversations about this now the episode is out.
Speaker 1: I need to dig into them more.
Speaker 4: After this episode, Marie just cures.
Speaker 1: Him, right, she just cures him.
Speaker 3: And I found this to be very interesting. Jason, give me your take, because that's a huge moment.
Speaker 5: My take is that.
Speaker 2: I think that genv has done a good job of keeping the evolution of everyone's powers, including Marie's and the and the kind of synergistic way the powers work when they're all together polarities powers for instance, secondary powers.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: With regards to.
Speaker 2: Cipher, I think they've done the show has done a good job of balancing it and not making it too disx machina at times, which sometimes it feels like that I was.
Speaker 5: I was surprised.
Speaker 2: I think I was surprised that at the ease with which she jumped directly to being able to do this, And I liked overall, I think it was it was pretty, it was cool, and you knew kind of where it was going once you saw that she could do this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought it was really interesting. I like it because also, you know that is obviously in fiction, lots of kind of issues something I've written about, wrote about with like the magical disability Q. But this is in the this is in the scope and the space of he is dying, he has a degenerated right and this is also a black supero saving another black superhero whose son she couldn't save.
Speaker 4: I thought it was good.
Speaker 3: And like you said, I think the emotional moments in this final three episodes are really good.
Speaker 5: Really good.
Speaker 2: Without the emotional moments, I think this is almost like a beyond terrible show.
Speaker 5: But right to your point.
Speaker 3: No, I think that the best thing about it is the kids and the kids keeping caring. They really when you're describing it, you are like, okay, and then and then, but really.
Speaker 1: It's those big emotional moments.
Speaker 3: It's Jas Sinclair, it's the guy who plays Emma who I just think is so funny and brilliant. Yeah, she's so great. So as always, Cipher just really.
Speaker 1: Wants to get Marie to train. Why does he care so much?
Speaker 3: Clearly she is meant to be his big weapon in the killing weak Soups plan, But I'm also confused because I'm like, sir, you're at a school where they're just last year was like a virus that was able to kill every superhero. I feel like, couldn't you have just like done a version of that to kill.
Speaker 4: The weak kid?
Speaker 3: Like I'm not trying to say you should kill these kids, but I feel like specifically using the powers of one person who is not aligned with you is never gonna end well. But again, we get those emotional moments and it becomes about Marie having to choose her friends.
Speaker 4: And their survival over.
Speaker 3: Anything else, and that I think has been something season two has done pretty well to show kind of how complicit the kids have to be to survive. And then the reality is you get a big final fight. But the big reveal from from episode seven that I think is probably would have been good to leave for a finale reveal.
Speaker 2: And will I agree with you? And let's talk about that when we get into the discussion.
Speaker 5: Couse, I agree with you.
Speaker 3: We will say that what you learn at the end of this episode is done done that as many we were rights will be dinging in the discords. Thomas Goodolkin is in fact the one who has the puppeteering powers, and he is the one who has been puppeteering the Hamish link later version of Thomas Godolk of Cipher that we know, but the real cipher is done, done, done Ethan Slater.
Speaker 4: It is Marie heals him.
Speaker 3: Probably not a good idea, and then you realize, oh shit, it's Thomas who had the plan all along. It's box Woodman bock would box bock Woodman from Wicked box Wood that wicked guy. And yes, and he is gonna now be fully healed by Marie to to plan killing.
Speaker 1: All the soups.
Speaker 3: So good for him, good for that terrible man, and uh, good for honestly Amazon forgetting the old big big hero six kind of level stars out for this one with yeah, with Goadalkin and into the finale we work.
Speaker 2: In the finale, Uh, Tom Godalkin now up on his feet.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Sends an email blast to the to the student body saying, hey, everybody.
Speaker 5: Guess what.
Speaker 2: I know that a lot of people have been frustrated at the kind of ladder, the hierarchy here at Godalkin, you where it felt like, you know, there's a select few amount of students who are able to rise to the top and get the you know, the access to the prime nil superhero deals and perhaps like a pathway to the seven.
Speaker 5: Well, guess what are opening up the doors. We're throwing it all.
Speaker 2: Open and everybody now is gonna get a chance to compete for those primes. It's not just gonna be a selection process. It's gonna be open enrollment. Come down to my office tomorrow and we're gonna hash it out.
Speaker 5: And guess what. It's a trap.
Speaker 2: Of course, our heroes, our heroes of course know it's a trap, and so they're as this is happening. They're trying to figure out, Okay, what how do we we know this is a trap And we know that Goodalkin slash Cipher is all about mutant supremacy. Right, He's gonna want to call the week in his own words, He's gonna want to call the week. And this has gotta be what this is about? How do we get in there, so they're planning to get in there. It's just as they thought. Goodalkin gathers the student body and just has everybody like killing each other willy nilly.
Speaker 3: Almosto makes sense because of what we saw with the training he was doing.
Speaker 4: I almost so like is this I feel like.
Speaker 3: And this is you know, definitely a boys you know that's problem, But like why is everyone so dramatic?
Speaker 1: Like why can't he just do like a normal version of killing off that, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like, that's my favorite thing about this universe is everyone's still the most extreme version, Like you just got a bunch of kids killing each other.
Speaker 4: I feel like you.
Speaker 1: Could have come up with an easier way to do this, my guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And also like can't I understand some of the powers are not that cool, but like a fire power, for instance, to control fire, I think.
Speaker 5: Is pretty cool.
Speaker 2: But when I'm kidding, so, can't you find like another job for some of these people?
Speaker 5: Like they don't? It seems like such a waste anyway.
Speaker 3: It does also, Okay, I want to also let's let's check in because this was something that you know, we didn't get too into, but let's also talk about the Dolkins relationship with sister Sage and well.
Speaker 2: Listen, Okay, so this let's just like roll the justscussion into the recap as well. I will say some of episode eight, the finale, particularly the beginning when it's like and even the relationship when he was puppeting Cipher.
Speaker 5: Yes, felt like.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 5: It felt like kink shaving to me a little bit.
Speaker 2: Jason and I listen, like, there's you know, sexual uh proclivities on display here that I'm not personally into. That said, I found it a little bit like, hey, if you're into this kind of more SMM style sex, you're.
Speaker 4: Evil and wa was weird, right right?
Speaker 3: I feel like that's very against the general understanding of what BDSM has become posts ah, you know, fifty Shades of Gray, which was really unrepresentative but opened up a lot of normal people's minds to what it could be. I feel like that has been to talk about how consensual it is, to talk about how non evil it is, to talk about how all.
Speaker 1: Different kinds of people do it.
Speaker 3: And obviously we spoke about Pillion coming up like a dom com. So yeah, I do think I think that you and Ian were onto something with that.
Speaker 2: Catch it's not for me, Like, that's not what I know, It's not for me in my life. But I felt like they used this these kind of scenes as character builders in a way that seemed to suggest, like, hey, there was an implication of like the moral connection between the second yes and their behavior, And I do think that that is an outdated take and I felt like it went a little bit over the line into shaming essentially for me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Also, what is the appeal.
Speaker 1: To sister stage of this relationship. That's my other thing. She's like the smartest person.
Speaker 3: She's incredibly strong and sexy and cool. And when we first saw her with are, when we first saw her with our you know, Hamish link later version, I was like, Okay, these two they are new up and comers there. But I don't know if I believe that Puppetier the Dolkin has the juice.
Speaker 2: Yes, so our heroes come up with a plan that includes climbing into the butt of butt boy.
Speaker 3: Could you be surprised his butt has been linked in every episode? Everyone to know why there were so many butt jokes and butt stuff in this season. It's been leading to this, which is obviously a riff on our big and man than asks can't he just go up the button explode him joke, which has been done many times.
Speaker 2: Kate now with her full powers thanks to Marie In what again, what was an emotional moment when Marie's like, I'm gonna heal you now manages to get one more student placed into the Hunger Games Battle Royale kill fest that Thomas Godalkin is overseeing. That is butt Boy. Butt Boy goes in and to go, what are you doing here? I'll show you what I'm doing here, and butt Boy expels all of our heroes out of the butt as Marie engages with Thomas Dawkin's uh, you know, mind controlled student body. Big fight happens. But then when it seems like they have won and they have the chance to murk Goodalkin right there, and it had me being like, why are you hesitating for now? It turns out Goodalkin has been applying his own philosophies to himself, using all this death and violence and killing to train himself so that he can now overpower Marie. He takes control of Marie and she's about to cause the blood of all her friends to burst out of their bodies. She's killing him with her mind. But then Polarity comes in, and of course Polarity has developed has realized that he has the ability to not just resist Godulkin slash Cipher, but to actually disrupt his powers. He does it, and then they take out Godulkin. They take him out, Happy Days. They go on the run, and who should contact them and find them none other than Starlighter, who says, you know what, this is the energy, you guys, This kind of shot in the arm of youthful resistance energy is exactly what we need to take on Homelander and Vought.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, Homeliner, we just kill him already.
Speaker 5: But yes, I kill it.
Speaker 4: And I think Marie is.
Speaker 1: Going to be the homeland to killer the weapon. I think it will work.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I agree with you.
Speaker 3: Like one, I feel like the funniest thing is cosmic Kumite episode could.
Speaker 1: Have gone before.
Speaker 4: You could have still found a way to have the.
Speaker 3: Giant, crazy spectacle of the kind of kids killing each other Kumte, but left I feel like the bigger question of oh, somebody wants to kill all week soups, that's an interesting thing to go into the next season with. But instead it was like you know Godalkinstan and I guess these are kind of our boys. Now this is the new generation of the boys.
Speaker 2: Let's take a quick break and talk about all of these issues, including whether the finale should have been the finale.
Speaker 5: Be back after this war and we're back, Okay.
Speaker 2: When I was watching episode seven, I had to actually check that there was another episode in the hopper because I was like, that felt.
Speaker 5: Like and an unbelievable finale.
Speaker 2: Now here's here's my reasoning, and I'm eager to know if you if you agree. First of all, we had spent so much time with Hamish Linkletter as Cipher, and he had done such wonderful job killed like mustache twisting and being such an evil, fucking bastard and shouts to our discord all the kind of Goodalkin is the mastermind stuff? Was it? When I was watching the screener is I didn't really pick up on it. So the moment when it was revealed that Ethan Slater Thomas Godalkin was the real mastermind, the true villain of it, I was like blown away and I kind of felt like, you spend this entire season with Cipher, and.
Speaker 5: At that point I wanted I wanted it to be. I wanted it to be the end.
Speaker 2: Because I want to figure out, okay, like, well, what are we doing next? It felt like such a strong hook and and cliffhanger that I was a little disappointed at the finale and the kind of it felt a little bit paint by numbers, big fight against the bad guy to me and I listen, I am the person that said we let Homelander live too long and then it stretched it out too much. But I think you could have turned I think so Thomas Goodalkin the Fight against Goodalkin into not a whole season, but maybe a couple episodes opening opisode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 3: I also get it, like Ethan Slayer is a big Hollywood and Broadway star, But also, guys, you got to do costing that fits with the tone of the show. And if somebody can only be around an episod or a couple of episodes that may not have the biggest kind of payoff, because I do, and I get it as well. They probably didn't want to go into season three, potential season three, because I will say that Eric Kripkey has come out and been like, hey, if you guys want GENV season three got to keep watching, got to get those numbers up, you know, which we know is the game of streaming. But at the same time, like I had, felt like this season had done a really good job of continuing the emotional arcs of characters we care about, Characters like Emma getting to make new friends and starting her kind of resistance group, getting to see Marie and Jordan obviously loved that. Getting to see even though like, personally, do I watch the show and be like, kay, I would kick you down a flight of stairs?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: Ah, is that an incredible, interesting, complicated character with really complicated powers.
Speaker 4: Yes it is. And I think that in that final.
Speaker 3: Episode, even though you know, we get the boys nurse of like the butt boy and they're all exploding out of his butt, I also feel like episode seven could have set us on a path where I've seen a lot of people, not just us, saying that they felt overall, generally.
Speaker 1: So far this has been a stronger season than the last season.
Speaker 3: But I agree, And I agree because I think the writing of the characters and the utilization of the college setting to try and have these conversations about what's going on in the world is really interesting and good.
Speaker 1: But I definitely did not.
Speaker 3: After episode seven, I was like, oh my god, I'm so glad there's another episode, Like I'm ready to go into season three?
Speaker 1: What does it look like? And I do feel like when I was watching the finale, it.
Speaker 3: Was a bit less of a hook and more of like a crazy bombastic situation a boss time. Which also, again, like I said, I love blood Sport, I love Kickboxer, I love a Kuma Ta style movie where everyone has to.
Speaker 1: Fight each other. But that is also something.
Speaker 3: They already did earlier in this season pretty well when they were doing the training episodes, and also as well, you know, I feel like nowadays you need to be making a point.
Speaker 1: If you are making a.
Speaker 3: Statement about, you know, the way that people kill kids, I feel like there needs to be a bit more of something interesting there, whether it's to do with, you know, an analogy about war or like Bower Rayal was, it was an analogy about the notion of a badly behaved teenager and how overpopulation was killing Japan.
Speaker 1: So I think Hunger Games.
Speaker 3: You know, we know that really it's just bou Raal, But allegedly she was watching TV and she saw the you know, the mix of like a reality TV show and reporting on the Iraq War, and that kind of merged together. I think this big boss fight at the end is more just so tonally within the world of the Boys and kind of what Cipher Slash good Olkin wants that I don't necessarily think it branches out in the interesting way that they have done. Ian made a great point in the chat, it's essentially like an epilogue.
Speaker 1: It doesn't really feel.
Speaker 2: I have a question for Okay, so yes, I think we're in agreement. It felt like episode seven could have been and maybe should have been the finale. I have another question for you, and this one stretches back to the boys. Even Sister Sage, is.
Speaker 5: She smart enough?
Speaker 4: That's what if she's meant to be the smartest person I was.
Speaker 3: I was expecting her to be the mastermind because I'm kind of like, isn't she the most intelligent person on a.
Speaker 2: You know, I think of the way I think of Sister Sage, or at least my ideal version of her power set. And maybe this is just my personal thing, but when I hear smartest person on Earth, you know, it sees all the angles I want that I want that Batman debate where it's like, well, yes, yes, of course Batman would be Superman because he's thought if Superman suddenly attacked him, he's he's God, that's cool in his a patch of kryptonite like in his suit, and he's thought of all the ways that he could take him down. And you never feel that with Sage's She's get surprised in this scene, like she's she's shocked when Godalkin turns on her and doesn't want to go with her plan. And yes, she does adapt well, but she adapts in a way that feels more like a roll of a dice.
Speaker 3: Right than actually like her scheme. Because also, yeah, she's gonna be the CEO of Bought, but what does that really mean? Like that changes every single day. Ashley's getting kicked out, Everyone's getting kicked out. And I really enjoy her as a character and as a conceptual potential, like you know, is she meant to be the new Homelander or is she meant to be the new.
Speaker 1: Kind of leader?
Speaker 3: But I don't believe you're getting trapped by hyperbaric chamber Godulkin if your sister's age, that's unbelievable to me.
Speaker 1: I don't I don't think it would happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I just wish there was more uh writing around her plans. So you really felt like, well, she has a backup to the backup to the backup, and a counterplan to I just assumed.
Speaker 3: And I think you're right that that doesn't fit with it, and it can easily be wreckconed in a future episode or she was active or whatever.
Speaker 4: But I think you make a good point. And let's go back to.
Speaker 3: Our very first ever conversation about this show, where you called out something that I thought was a really good point and you and Joel talked about it a lot.
Speaker 1: Which is like.
Speaker 3: This notion of like how they treat soups, how they treat people of color, the way that this show is written around kind.
Speaker 4: Of such real feeling events, but still has this absurdity to it.
Speaker 3: I do think the lack of writing around since the stage in this moment immediately made me think of that combo. So how are you feeling post finale about the show and kind of the way that it approach this stuff, Like did it just give us another space where it can be like, oh, these powerful, rich white people are oppressed, or did it like have something more interesting to say.
Speaker 5: I think it.
Speaker 2: I think it's gesturing at something more interesting just by the weight of the characters who we've focused on over the season, the Right and the rise of Polarity to being a really important part of the story and even sister Stage. But again, I could keep coming back to this frustration I have with Sage and now I'm going to put on my like, now I'm going to get completely conspiratorial. Is there something like overly like, why are we scared of like a really scheming, super super of showing like a super smart person of color, be smart, be smart in a way that's maybe manipulative, that's maybe not evil, but is so far ahead of everybody else that it's like WHOA.
Speaker 1: I think that.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: There are times there are times watching Stage and not just in the you know, in this season, but in thea where I'm like, she just seems like a regular kind of smart.
Speaker 3: Also, she has like a photographic memory and stuff cininically, so she could have just I'm hoping that she has been secretly just remembering everything she's seen, kind of like a you know, Lex Luthor's girlfriend in Superman, but ditzy, Like I feel like maybe she's playing.
Speaker 4: It down a bit.
Speaker 3: I also do generally think that you're onto something very smart there, because if you think about it, the idea of like a truly brilliantly intelligent black woman is just an honest truth of like every day. But in the Marvel universe, when they wanted to make a black character the most intelligent character in the world, they had to choose a young black kid in Lunella, you know, because I think they were afraid, like you say, of like, well, if we say an adult black women is smarter than Tony Stark.
Speaker 1: How are people going to react? It's like, oh my.
Speaker 3: God, guys, is that it's a shame that even has to be a conversation.
Speaker 1: But I'm gonna have to.
Speaker 3: See the Sister Sage kind of situation, Like I'm gonna have to see that evolve, because I think that they did tap into some really interesting, crazy things, like when she was lobotomizing herself and stuff so that she could like keep going. It was just like, there's so much interesting, fucked up shit they could do, and I feel like it was not delivered on in the way I expected after what they kind of set up with her in Cipher, But I'm hoping now, Thomas Cadoalkin, is you know dealt with we are gonna now see that actually in the Boys' season five, the final season of the Boys, I need that, Yes, we need to see what Sage's plan is. And also, like everyone in The Boys sucks, so I'm gonna be rooting for sister Sage, like if we end with her being in charge and Maria's killed and stuff.
Speaker 1: I'm cool. That sounds interesting, And uh yeah, I do think.
Speaker 3: I think gen VI both struggles and thrives off the fact that it is not based on the comics. I think that while we know that they have changed the comics a lot from The Boys, and I was talking about this on a scale pat recently. Thankfully, GENV is its own thing, and I think the.
Speaker 1: Peaks of it.
Speaker 3: It becomes a transcendently good version of extreme superherior programming, and it's weakness it sometimes falls back into like your cwsque expectations of And it's interesting too because the finale, i mean episode seven, in episode eight, they actually go against a lot of the rules that we have come to understand of programming. The final two episodes of TV A lot of times the big action episode is the penultimate episode, and then you have your emotional episode. So yeah, interesting, not necessarily like a perfect season of TV, but what is other than and or season two, you know, which we have found this year to be a that was crazy for that to come out at the beginning of the year. It really makes you think about TV. But I love these characters. I love Ja Sinclair. I think she should be getting all the shine for this. I would love to see her in another leading role. And yeah, it was It was a fun show to cover, and I'm glad that the Discord was into it too, because I love this show even when I can see its flaws. But the Discord has been really having some great convos. So if you are a GENV or Boys fan or have any thoughts about this season, definitely check out the Discord because we were there's been a lot of conbo. There was actually quite a lot of shock that there was not a dedicated Gen B thread when the show started, because everyone was.
Speaker 1: Like, come on, we need to talk about how this connects to the Boys, and now we know.
Speaker 2: One more thing that I wanted to mention the scene where you know good Alkin now in his healed up body out of the hyperbaric chamber. He and sister Sage have this huge feast, red wine, lobster, the whole thing.
Speaker 5: It made me think of my mom. My mom recently got a diet and gout.
Speaker 1: Oh no, your mom never got gout, Jason.
Speaker 2: She got a diagnosis of gout. And I was like, well, here's you know, mom, here's the good news about gout. You know, I said, when she called me way later than she she should have called me. She should have called me when she got the diagnosis. And when she went to the emergency room because she had pack, she waited for like a week and then she's like, it's gout. And I was like, well, here's the good news, Like, you can you can with your diet, you can get that under control.
Speaker 5: What have you been eating? Yeah, here's what my mom told me she had been eating.
Speaker 2: My mom joined this Facebook group of older ladies, and these older ladies are like the fucking uh you know kids from like the Outsiders or something like. They are sixty seventy plus ladies who are likeled in the streets.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they ting going out to eat, like doing weird meat.
Speaker 2: Yep, they're out to eat four or five nights a week, and I was like, mom, what are you eatings? This is what she told me, I meaning, she's eating lobster and she's eating a lobster again. She's eating lobster two times a week for the last eight months. And then es I get it, And then she told me, well, also she told me this like a week later. Oh yeah, well, I was also, there's this place that does lobsters. So she's eating lobster three times.
Speaker 1: A weet.
Speaker 3: Lobster poisoning or something lobster lobster and lobster roll and then.
Speaker 2: Also truffles, caviar and tins of sardines.
Speaker 1: She's trying to get gout.
Speaker 3: She's like, what's the richest, oiliest food I can eat?
Speaker 2: And watching that scene of Thomas Godalkin with red wine dripping down his chest as he's like eating incredible, clicking his fingers of caviar and like lobster grease, I can only think of my mother and think that it's a good thing that Goodalkin's out of it now because he would.
Speaker 5: Have had to deal with this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and sister Stage, be careful, do some exercise, kai back not three loups does the night and I gotta tell you, guys, I do love Jason's mom.
Speaker 1: She's a stylish queen of energy and incredible nature. So she's probably not gonna stop eating lipster every night.
Speaker 3: But you know what, hopefully she doesn't get gout again, because I've had.
Speaker 5: She had that.
Speaker 2: Do you remember at my at my wedding party, she had that walking boot that she been yes, yes, and she thought it was a tendon problem from trying on pumps her like high he'll shoes it too, And no, it turns out that was the pre symptoms of her gout because she.
Speaker 3: Was eating some rich dinner that night at the at the wedding part.
Speaker 5: So so be careful, everybody.
Speaker 1: Watch you die.
Speaker 4: Guys speak all I have to say to you.
Speaker 2: On the next episode of xtra Vision, it's finally time we're pitching what we want to see in an X Men movie.
Speaker 3: Oh I'm so excited we've been probably can't wait.
Speaker 5: And speaking of that, just you know, quick rejoice.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, let's do it, let's do it.
Speaker 2: Just a quick thing. Cipher in this season and goodalkin shows you how op Charles Xavier is. And we're going to talk about that when we pitch our day movie. That's it for this episode. Thanks for listening. X ray Vision is hosted by Jason Septs Young and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 3: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kolefman.
Speaker 5: Our supervising producer is Abuzafar.
Speaker 4: Produces are Common, Laurent Dean Jonathan.
Speaker 1: And Bay Wack.
Speaker 2: A theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 3: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi our discord moderator.