Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is nick Shots, streaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com.
Speaker 2: And the official Dallas Cowboys at.
Speaker 1: Now Here are Bill Jones, Everson Walls, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 3: Mercifully, it is the last day of twenty twenty four. We are looking ahead of twenty twenty five on this edition of Mixshots, brought to you by Miller Lite, Bill Jones, Everson Walls and Mickey Spagnola. We're gonna have predictions for twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Five on this auction of Oh my gag Shots.
Speaker 4: What do you think of that? What's gonna happen in twenty I.
Speaker 2: Don't like those.
Speaker 5: It's gonna start tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Yep, the year is going to start tomorrow. There's one prediction. We're off to a rousing starter.
Speaker 1: Jerry said when he was on today, he said something to the effect that, yeah, let's just get through twenty twenty four.
Speaker 5: This has not been a good year.
Speaker 4: Now we get just twelve hours to.
Speaker 5: Go for many reasons.
Speaker 3: Right, all right, So Jerry was on the radio today and Mickey, you have come with clarity on what's going to happen. That's right for Sunday when the Cowboys take on the Washington Commanders of the regular season finale at noon at a And.
Speaker 1: As Jerry pointed out, I'm not under any unusual time frame to make a decision on the coaching staff or to announce it. Who knows he might have made the decision.
Speaker 3: Already, tried.
Speaker 4: Everybody may know what's going on.
Speaker 5: But he does, but he doesn't have to say.
Speaker 1: And he continued to speak out of both sides of his mind, talking about all the good things that Mike McCarthy did, but saying that, well, I don't have to say anything just yet.
Speaker 5: We have to evaluate.
Speaker 4: So you were saying, he talked out of both sides of his mouth.
Speaker 3: So he said all the good things, did he did he ever talk out of the other side.
Speaker 5: Of his mouth about bad things? Yeah?
Speaker 1: The injuries, Oh all right, and pointed that out, which you know, it's it's part of the story this year that just kind of gets eliminated. Uh, you know, it's it's one of these deals. And like I like to say, everybody likes to put something in a big box and put a bow on top without looking inside the box to see what you got. And you know, I'm watching the game last night, and all I kept seeing and hearing was all the injuries San Francisco had, the injuries Detroit had.
Speaker 2: I felt sorry for the guy, and I don't.
Speaker 1: See that when they do the Cowboys games. Nope, you know so what that you lost six Pro bowlers and one more that didn't go on injured reserve. That's what I'm saying, Yeah and so, yeah, it's part of the story of this season that can't be ignored.
Speaker 5: So and he did point that out. What do you have to have different?
Speaker 1: Well, I got to have my Pro Bowl quarterback on the field, and I've got to have an offensive line.
Speaker 5: He goes.
Speaker 1: If I made a mistake. I assumed that we could put young guys in on the offensive line and it would just take off and be as good as ever. And he goes, and there were growing pains there. He goes, I got to have my defensive ends that I lost all season long, And oh what about the cornerbacks and the linebackers and so and now the wide receiver, by the way, and you had the other wide receiver out.
Speaker 4: For four weeks.
Speaker 1: No Cooks was out seven seven games at.
Speaker 3: Least from late September until November, right.
Speaker 1: From the first Giants game to Yeah, and my other Pro Bowl corner missed the first ten games of the season, so some of that matters, And I think it has to go into his evaluation of Mike McCarthy.
Speaker 3: By the way, that was also the toughest stretch of the season, when Michael Parsons was.
Speaker 1: Out right those four games, and.
Speaker 3: Then leading up to last week's game, when after Micah had returned, this team was leading the league in sacks since his return, leading the league in takeaways.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and pressures too, by the way.
Speaker 4: And the schedule got easier during this stretch too, right, And it did.
Speaker 3: But all you gotta do even just look at the quarterback position alone and see which teams have qualified for the postseason, which we went through this last week. And I'll quickly go through it here. Eagles, Commanders, they both have their quarterbacks. I'm assuming hurts his back whatever, and he will be Lions, Vikings Packers have their quarterbacks.
Speaker 1: And stop right there. Vikings had a sugar plum Land in their lap. They had no idea Sam Darnold was.
Speaker 3: Going to do what he who used to be Baker Mayfield's teammate in Carolina, and which gets me to Tampa Bay has their quarterback, Baker Mayfield, and the Rams clinched their division and they've got their quarterback, Matthew Stafford.
Speaker 4: And we could do the same process.
Speaker 3: And the AFC as well, where the Bills have their quarterback, the Ravens, the Steelers, the Bengals are still threatening because because.
Speaker 4: They because they have their quarterback.
Speaker 3: The Texans have their quarterback, are limping to the finish line.
Speaker 4: And oh, by the way, the Chiefs, the Chargers, and the Broncos all have their starting quarterbacks. So there you go.
Speaker 1: And that's the story of twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: It might be the story of every season in the NFL. And got your starting quarterback, you are still have a shot. Going back to Jeff Hostetler and the Giants Everson where we saved Jeff.
Speaker 4: Let's there you go.
Speaker 6: We were special. We were special, and we're like Philly, we don't need.
Speaker 1: And for those that want to point point out that, you know, these other teams with the Saquon Barkley over two thousand yards Derrick Henry, but guess what, they had special quarterbacks to play with them. And that factored into their effectiveness.
Speaker 6: You've got that guy Cook is running right but off of there and I'll come and.
Speaker 2: It's definitely because he's playing off.
Speaker 1: Of his quarterback, because Josh Allen can run his butt.
Speaker 3: The offensive line has something to do with it, Yes, absolutely, which gets back to what Jerry apparently said about the offensive line if he made one mistake, that is I think pretty lairing HiT's depending on the young guys.
Speaker 5: Just assuming that it was going to be.
Speaker 3: But at some point, when you've got two future Hall of famers who are in the last part of their career, Tyron Smith and Zach Martin, You're going to have to make that transition at some point, right, and this happens to be the point where that was happening.
Speaker 1: And despite that, they had a running back run for a thousand yards that had never been given that chance. And you have to go back to twenty I did this twenty nineteen last time the Cowboys had somebody rush for as much as Rico Dado has, because while Pollard did it, Rico's got like a yard or two more than he ever had in his thousand yards situations.
Speaker 5: So you have to go back to z.
Speaker 3: Which but having said that, on the other side on Sunday, they were celebrating running back who.
Speaker 1: By the way, but he had a running quarterback.
Speaker 3: But more importantly than the running quarterback is they have an offensive line that is right up there with the Lions, the best in football.
Speaker 6: So the way I always look at it is the defense always gives them another chance. Soarkley has always had a defense to give him the ball so he can run for more yards.
Speaker 1: Who was Dickerson quarterback that year?
Speaker 6: Little shorting uh from from Canada?
Speaker 4: The quarterback, short quarterback.
Speaker 2: You'll come up.
Speaker 6: Okay, I'm gonna do that.
Speaker 4: Short quarterback.
Speaker 3: So it was handed to three Rams. I'm not going to put the year in or anything. It's just short quarterback. I misspelled Canada.
Speaker 2: But Rams.
Speaker 3: Let's see if it comes up here list of Rams starting quarterbacks.
Speaker 1: There it'll be Doug Flutie or something.
Speaker 4: Short quarterback. Let us go back through the list of the quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: Eighty five.
Speaker 3: Most schemes.
Speaker 5: When he set the singles.
Speaker 2: Okay, I was going for when I you know, played in eighty five?
Speaker 5: Yeah, eighty three.
Speaker 4: Okay, well wait a second, we got to get.
Speaker 3: Yeah fair Norm Van Brocklyn was short Eddie LeBaron play for them. Let me see eighty five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, eighty three, I was going eighty five.
Speaker 4: We're talking Peter Brock, the short quarterback from Canada. Peter Brock.
Speaker 2: I think that might have been him. Yeah, it was a weird name.
Speaker 4: Peter Brock. Let me look you up here. That's no, he's an A but Canada he played football.
Speaker 2: That's where it was.
Speaker 3: Remember he's from He's from the province of Alabama.
Speaker 2: We're going back up to Canada.
Speaker 4: Oh wait, wait, what you know where he played college.
Speaker 2: In Canada?
Speaker 4: They can't think of an Alabama school.
Speaker 2: Oh not Jackson.
Speaker 6: Yes, not Jackson You are.
Speaker 5: Champions.
Speaker 4: It all comes back to Jacksonville State. That's the story of this season.
Speaker 6: That's the story of the month. We pops up every every day this month.
Speaker 1: They won their bowl games.
Speaker 4: Oh that's funny.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: He was a two time CFL Most Outstanding Player, Peter Brock, and it was the Rams quarterback in eighty five.
Speaker 2: Answer your question, said Chris.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, he did in eighty four though, so.
Speaker 4: So that would be Jeff Kemp and Vincent. Four is when he broke that record.
Speaker 5: I thought it was eighty.
Speaker 4: Who was there Jeff Kemp.
Speaker 3: He ran for eighteen hundred yards in eighty three though, and of course the Jeff Kemp, the son of Jack Camp.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and all those yards were against the Cowboys two in eighty three if you count the playoff game.
Speaker 2: Half of them.
Speaker 4: Okay, so what were we talking about?
Speaker 2: Nothing? Nothing better than Jacksonville State.
Speaker 1: Oh, we were talking about the benefits of having your starting quarterback on the field playing well for the playoffs. So so last night didn't change anything, right.
Speaker 4: That meaningless Detroit.
Speaker 1: It was a meaningless game, right, except they knew going in it was me except maybe the Cowboys won't have to play San Francisco decks.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, so there was meeting because there's a third place schedule.
Speaker 1: Yeah there last right now Arizona's ahead of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but now the Rams don't have to win in the season finale.
Speaker 4: So San Francisco wins that.
Speaker 1: San Francisco has to play Arizona.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, they play each other.
Speaker 3: Oh they played for the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: I'm sure that's what's on their minds.
Speaker 1: Well, the tie breaker is going to come down to, like I don't know what tie breaker is going to.
Speaker 4: Be, and we don't, but one way or the other.
Speaker 3: The Cowboys are going to play or San Francisco next season.
Speaker 2: It's a shame that this season.
Speaker 6: I feel very good about our improvement, even though it was over teams that were kind of martin them, you know, some teams. The Tampa Bay went to me was the best win of the season. We really thought that that had put us at least on a trend upward, which I still think it's you know, we we can't ignore our streak that we had. But at the same time, I'm pretty proud of where we were versus.
Speaker 2: Where we ended up. I just have to say that.
Speaker 6: I mean, even though we did lose badly to teams that were very good doing that stretch, but we won against teams that were not so good. We won the games we were supposed to win, and it didn't seem as if we could do that when we first started having these calamities.
Speaker 3: Okay, so let's don't put a name on just in a general sense, if you were the owner slash general manager of a football team.
Speaker 2: A football team, a football.
Speaker 3: Not this football team, a football team, and what happened this season, including the injuries and what you just said.
Speaker 4: The third to last.
Speaker 3: Game of the season, probably the best game they played all year. Coming off all that, how would you handle things going forward in terms of the coaching staff.
Speaker 6: As far as the coaching staff is concerned, I think I would keep them intact and simply because you're not gonna find anyone. First of all, I always talk about the elephant in the room, and that would be Jerry. You've got to find coaches that can deal with the general manager and owner that Jerry is. But at the same time, you have to realize you're gonna have a lot of work to do. If you're changing the entire coaching staff. You got a lot of work you put in a whole new system. You're gonna have to change your If we be the whole new staff next year is not gonna be good because it's going to be an adjustment period. If we keep this staff and we continue with the trend that we were on, putting in some pieces, make sure everyone stays healthy.
Speaker 2: I still don't.
Speaker 6: See us as a super Bowl team, but I see us as a playoff team that could go deep.
Speaker 2: That's just my opinion.
Speaker 1: And and and and that's the other elephant in the room. And I heard the question today or maybe it wasn't to him when it was said, it's like, what do they have to do to win a super Bowl next year? I'm going how about playoffs? How about a division title? How about just winning one first round game? Yeah, it's not just look at the super Bowl.
Speaker 6: Well that's what That's why we picked the did we pick a We picked eighteen? We didn't pick the Cowboy because they only talked to us that way. So the only way we are seen it's super Bowl up bust every year. Now, that's the optimism you have from every team, but everyone believes when Jerry Jones says it, it's just a difference. It's just a difference.
Speaker 1: So, speaking of making transitions like that, Mike Zimmer talked about it yesterday and he said one of his regrets was he didn't do what he wanted to do defensively from the start because he thought he needed to blend in on what they had done the year before.
Speaker 3: And when we come back here on mix shots, let's talk about that and more.
Speaker 4: Mike Zimmer.
Speaker 6: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at the Team Hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas, tour the Star and talk ex'es and o's with me Everson Wallas with Star Sports Tours. You can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 7: Hey Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. But lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, Don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto e no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win.
Speaker 3: Prascott kits, it shlides with a first.
Speaker 7: Down, investilate your icons where everyone is a rookian crypto with blockchain dot Com perfect throw.
Speaker 3: My goodness, wow did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 7: Visit blockchain dot com slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 8: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates.
Speaker 5: But with that Texas heat.
Speaker 8: It's crucial to keep my beer handcramping cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yetie Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on yetti dot com. Check it out today Yeti official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 9: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Metal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 2: Shuts Cowboys Nation.
Speaker 6: Amanda Foster has been named Your twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboys Fan of the Year, presented by Captain Morgan, for her dedication to the team and spicing up the game. Vote for Amanda to be named the ultimate NFL Fan of the Year at NFL dot com slash Fan of the Year.
Speaker 2: When do they do the Super Bowl? It comes down the Super Bowl? Is that when we know about I.
Speaker 1: Think correct beforehand because that person gets to go to free trip to.
Speaker 3: The supers Okay, okay, so they all get to go to the super So all thirty two go to the super Bowl and then they announced it that honors all right, wow? Yeah, So the Thursday night before the Super Bowl they will announce the winner of the NFL Fan of the Years.
Speaker 4: At what you're saying, that is correct?
Speaker 2: And then they also get to go to the game.
Speaker 1: Didn't the Cowboys all the all the fans of the year get to go to the game? Guy won it last year?
Speaker 5: Maybe I forgot.
Speaker 2: The international guy won it? Was an international fan of the year.
Speaker 1: Was the Cowboy guy that he actually got to do the pick on the NFL Draft.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 6: I hate here in the NFL, honest thing, because that's where we had to go after you found out you didn't become a Hall of Famer. So they come to you boom, hey, you didn't make it, bough And so we went to downstairs in ten minutes and I'm like, it's gonna be a wow.
Speaker 2: Okay, we got tequila here.
Speaker 3: So as we transitioned to Mike Zimmer before Mickey talks about what he teased just a moment ago, Mike Zimmer was asked about Darren Woodson as well, and Darren Woodson is for the third straight year a finalist.
Speaker 4: For the Pro Football Hall of Fame. It was announced over the weekend.
Speaker 1: I just wrote eight paragraphs on that, setting up what Zim had to say.
Speaker 3: So would you like to paraphrase what he had to say there or would you like to go on to.
Speaker 5: He said it?
Speaker 1: I think the first thing he said it it it he should have been in a long time ago, basically, and then talked about all the things he could do. And my point now is, you know they list him as a safety. He was a defensive player. He played safety, he played corner, he played linebacker, and I was I'll never let him off specialties. Unbelievable every year it's like, oh yeah, yeah. And then he found himself at least the outside guy on kickoff.
Speaker 4: Coverage and still like the.
Speaker 5: Cowboys, and.
Speaker 1: He led the Cowboys franchise in career tackles. Think about the defensive guys in this franchise that are in the Hall of Fame. He's got more tackles than them all. So anyway, okay, now my soapbox already.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, so now to what And this was the last availability of the twenty twenty four season for the coordinators with the media yesterday, and Mike Zimmer was very good and among the things he talked about was what.
Speaker 4: You were getting to a moment?
Speaker 2: YEAHO.
Speaker 1: And his point was that when he got here, he didn't think he should have reinvented the wheel and just bring in everything he wanted to do. He felt like, okay, this defense was pretty good the last couple of years, that let's use a little bit of what I want to do and keep some of the stuff they were doing sort of.
Speaker 5: I think that was the philosophy.
Speaker 1: If you think about when McCarthy got here with the offic it was like he didn't change the whole thing to be his offense. He let Kellen Moore do what they've been doing that had been successful or what dak knew. So yeah, he said that, you know, he said, I didn't come in, I wasn't stubborn, I wasn't a hard head. I probably wasn't as hard on guys as I should have been to start, and he goes, and as the season went along, he goes. I got to congratulate the players because we made somewhat of a transition and started doing things I wanted, yes, And so I thought that that was very revealing on his thoughts on.
Speaker 6: I always thought that, well, I have been thinking that Michael Parsons has a lot to do with this. We depend a lot on it, and we criticized him a lot when the defense is not playing well because he is out. He's our guy, and there are times when he was being exposed. I don't know what happened while he was injured, but it seems as if someone has given him a different mindset on how to set the edge, which is one of the plays that have been killing us all doing. You know, we've never been able to set the edge and running defense. That has changed as you see how other teams play it. We were watching other teams play it well on how they set the edge, and we were wondering, why can't we do that? Well, we started doing that, and now our defense is playing better. And I don't know what they said to Michael during that time. But to me, he's been the catalyst as to how we are setting the edge because he's the one that is playing differently now when it comes to those particular plays.
Speaker 1: And the other part of it was and I remember talking to him in the offseason about his plans for Micah, and his plans were that, yeah, you know, third down.
Speaker 4: Rushing the quarterback.
Speaker 1: But I'm gonna try to convince him he's gonna play a little more linebacker. Right well, that was fining good until Sam Williams went down, and that was finding good until DeMarcus Lawrence went down, and that was finding good until Marshawn Neeland went down.
Speaker 5: So u and then he goes down.
Speaker 1: But the idea was to make him a versatile defensive player, so teams didn't know that he's starting off right there.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna put him at linebacker and you don't know what he's going to do.
Speaker 6: So right now, he's playing like t J. Watts basically, that's what he's saying.
Speaker 2: And you don't want that. You want him to play.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's a stand up defensive end.
Speaker 2: You want to be more Fred Wanner and.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you watch event what Philadelphia was doing. Oh my lord, they had two three guys taking him on and nobody else took advantage in that game, and that's what they needed.
Speaker 2: I thought.
Speaker 6: I think the way they're playing defense now, and I know they had a tough game against Philly, I'm not going to judge them on the Philly game. I'm gonna judge them on what I saw in Tampa and leading up to Tampa, because you know, the Philadelphia game is what it is. I think our defense is just below what we were last year, and I think that's a good thing when you're talking about the transition that they made, and especially coming off those first say eight games that we played, to see them improve with the personnel that they have. I got to give him some love. I have to give him some love because they have kept us in games. They are active, and half the time you don't even know who these guys are. And that's the good thing about it. He's playing with guys who don't have nearly the talent. And I'm talking about coach Zimmer. He's playing guys with not near the talent from the ones that we lost.
Speaker 1: Speaking of not knowing the guys games, I gotta find it.
Speaker 5: Talk about something. Oh, I think it. I can't even believe.
Speaker 2: So in.
Speaker 1: Two thousand, when the Cowboys played the final game of the season at Tennessee, Tennessee had a.
Speaker 5: Whole lot to play for.
Speaker 1: The Cowboys were on their way to finishing five and eleven. And this is a little off track.
Speaker 4: But it may custom that.
Speaker 1: It made me think because the question now this week is is Trey Lance going to start the final game?
Speaker 5: So it made me think.
Speaker 1: Remember I brought up maybe it was yesterday, Reggie Colliers started the last game eighty six. Well, starting the last game in two thousand was Anthony Wright because Randall Cuddingham said he had a strained hamstring. Well, it was cold, game, didn't mean anything. Troy was already out with a concussion back, so they started Anthony Wright and went back and I just looked it up, read my story after the game that I wrote, and they were playing all these backup guys because everybody wanted to see the backup guys. And I said, well, this is what you get when you play backup guys.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: One of the guys in that game, playing defensive tackle was named Noel Scarlet. Scarlet defensive tackle that was the only game I think he played all season long, right, and that was the only game he played in his NFL career. But that's what it got down to, right, and replacement players and basically, no, you know what I said, This was a preseason game in December, and that's what And it was on Christmas night. Nobody wanted to play. I'll guarantee you.
Speaker 3: Uh, and Anthony Wright in that game.
Speaker 5: And Anthony Wright, yeah, he's.
Speaker 3: Because he was five out of twenty for thirty five yards and two interceptions, and I think that four times.
Speaker 1: He had two fumble So they had four turnovers.
Speaker 3: Three carries nine yards and then Tennessee had a great defense.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, they had a they were going to get the number one seed I think that year in the AFC.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you want you want to see.
Speaker 5: You Okay, you know now now this game.
Speaker 1: There's a chance they may do it. I got I had nothing against giving it a shot. But then two things could take place. One, he plays so poorly that you might.
Speaker 2: You will go all those sink all the way there.
Speaker 1: Right, But what if he plays well, it's a free agent and somebody else goes, huh, well, maybe I'll pay him five million dollars to be maybe my backup when the Cowboys could be thinking, well, maybe you know, I can sign them for my backup quarterback if he plays well. But if he plays poorly, well, he's no more than the third guy.
Speaker 5: Once again, in a game that you.
Speaker 1: Don't have all your receivers out there, maybe what if Brendon Cooks doesn't play and you got Tolbert Brooks, Turpin and Flinoy out there.
Speaker 3: Well, if Brandon Cooks doesn't play, then those three receptions will go to one other.
Speaker 2: Those three.
Speaker 5: And the two inters.
Speaker 3: And that's nothing against Brandon Cooks because I think he's rte fully cable doing more.
Speaker 1: But that's all he's been here. They knew that's what they had to cover. I think about having into double and triple coverage there, absolutely all right, anyway.
Speaker 3: All right, uh, let's get into more of what the coordinators talked about yesterday. Okay, and then some when mix shots continues in a moment.
Speaker 8: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here with football season kicking off, I'm already gearing enough to bring the Smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates but with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer handcramping cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster canholer comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yeti Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on yetie dot com. Check it out today. Yeti official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 7: Hey, Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. But lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, Don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win.
Speaker 3: Prescott keeps it slides with the first.
Speaker 7: Down, investilate your icons. Everyone is a rookie crypto with blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 3: Parthquickthrow my goodness, wow did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 7: Visit blockchain dot com slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 6: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages. With pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders and Cowboy legends.
Speaker 2: You want to stay at the.
Speaker 6: Team hotel, attend the best tailgate party in Texas, tour the Star and talk x's and o's with me Everson Walls with Star Sports Tours. You can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package.
Speaker 10: Today Cowboys Football and Miller Lite.
Speaker 2: What a pairing can cracks? A kickoff tailgates.
Speaker 10: Going way past postgame Sunday night overtimes, followed by Monday Morning Swagger, Brisky and the Smoker, Miller Light and the two America's team playing America's greatest sport, Miller Lite, the only Deer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys Football taste like Miller Time, Celebrate Responsibly twenty twenty three Milibrown Company, fort Worth, Texas to Mixed Shots.
Speaker 6: The Walter Payton Man of the Year Award, presented by Nationwide, recognizes players who do so much more, both on and off the field and in the community. Help Dallas Cowboys nominate Zach Martin raise funds for the National Medal of Honor Museum Foundation by casting your Charity Challenge vote on nfl dot com slash Man of the Year, or tweet your support using the hashtag WPMOY Challenge. Voting ends on January sixth. Vote for Zach all Right.
Speaker 3: Final segment here on a New Year's Eve edition of Mixshots and Mickey. You're talking earlier about Rico Dowdell going over one thousand yards, and he's at what now, one thousand seven?
Speaker 5: I believe it is what I said.
Speaker 4: I can't remember what you said.
Speaker 2: He did say seven, okay.
Speaker 4: One thousand.
Speaker 3: Now he's you said, he's one short one yard, he's one thousand. Tony Pollard in two thousand and two, twenty twenty two had one thousand and seven yards. In twenty twenty three he had one thousand and five yards, And so Pollard, I mean, doubtell, is how far away from.
Speaker 1: One yard being more than anybody since zek and twenty?
Speaker 3: Kay?
Speaker 4: So he's at one thousand and six or seven?
Speaker 5: Seven?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 4: So he's tied with Pollard right now?
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, which led me to look up what Pollard has done. Of course, the decision the Cowboys had to make after last season was whether or not to re sign Tony Pollard in pre agency. He signed with Tennessee three years, twenty four million dollars. And I just looked up his numbers for this season, and Tony Pollard is sitting at he played. He has played in fifteen games, fifteen starts, one thousand and seventeen yards, very similar to his numbers here with Dallas on two hundred and thirty eight carries and five touchdowns.
Speaker 1: And they've both played the same amount of games. Because I think Rico missed that's.
Speaker 3: Right, he missed one. Yeah, that's right. Mysterious illness.
Speaker 1: So everybody I remember that, Yeah right, everybody with didn't like the committee? Raise your hand now because you got a thousand yard Russier And.
Speaker 3: How many yards per carry does Dad'll have?
Speaker 4: Do you have his stats in front of you?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I just closed it. We never closed a subject here, right, You know that, bough You know.
Speaker 3: That because out I mean, Pollard is at four point three yards per tend Now it is apples and oranges when you compare Tennessee. Does things freak those a certain way?
Speaker 5: In the cow point seven?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yards are carried now he only has one rushing touchdown.
Speaker 5: Pollard has seven. But they paid dearly for it, right.
Speaker 3: Three years, three years, twenty four million is the total value.
Speaker 5: So that average is eight million.
Speaker 4: And eight million a year, and that was the going rate.
Speaker 3: Basically, why did Derrick Henry get nine million a year something like that in Tennessee?
Speaker 1: And and and you know what, I finally looked up Saquon and his was in that three year.
Speaker 5: Thirty some whatever.
Speaker 1: But the guarantees they've given him to reduce his cap charge now the void year and I think the void years like twenty twenty eight, twenty twenty nine, somewhere in there is forty some million dollars.
Speaker 4: They're going to pay the piper at some point at some point.
Speaker 1: Now, Now, if it pays off then and you win, you say, okay, you know, do like the Rams. So what we had, you know season the next year, but we won the Super Bowl. So and they did AJ Brown's contract the same way too. By the way, Philadelphia, there's going to be a huge payoff when he's done for the voided year. So, however, you want to do business, if it works, as as Parcells said, if it works, it's right.
Speaker 5: Does it you're wrong?
Speaker 3: And as we've talked about before and as far as these quarterback contracts, the key thing on the Dak contract where it has a bigger cap hit for this team than other teams that have signed quarterbacks in that same range that those quarterbacks on their second contract. Dak on his third contract, so you already had had money from the second contract built into these extended years on Deck's deal, and so it's counting more against the cap than what a Jalen hurts in Philadelphia.
Speaker 1: And he's another one at the end of that contract, it's in the cap hit is astronomical. So they're hoping they don't get there or he's been that.
Speaker 3: Well, they'll be to a point we do with the COT they'll be at a point where on his third contract, they're going to be in the same salary cap situation the Cowboys are in right.
Speaker 1: Now, because no one's taken less, especially if you play well. By the way, you know, we went over who the Cowboys had to play this coming season. I went and kind of looked everything up and did the records. So they got to play ten games against teams with winning records, and nine or ten of those games will be playoff games against layoff teams this year. But if Arizona ends up in third place in the in the West, their strength of schedule will be zero point five four nine winning percentage.
Speaker 5: That would be the teams they have to.
Speaker 1: Play, which is more than this year. Right now, it's at five oh eight. So it doesn't get any easier getting the third place schedule because of the two divisions they have to play.
Speaker 3: And again, can you remind us NFC North NFC North Okay, that features.
Speaker 1: Three right play Soda Green Bay.
Speaker 4: Three playoff Bounty Chicago.
Speaker 1: So those those four teams right now are forty two and twenty one, and then the AFC West Kansas City Chargers, Denver, which all could be playoff teams, and then the Raiders and they're thirty seven and twenty seven right now.
Speaker 3: So what you're saying is, in all likely hood, the winner of the NFC East next year will be a ten win team, nine ten win team because everyone everyone has to play the same schedule virtually, right.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: And so we know.
Speaker 3: Philadelphia is not winning the NFC East next year, so Dallas, because no one ever repeats, no One last team, No, we're talking twenty years, two thousand and four is the last time we've had.
Speaker 4: A WOW winner in the NFS.
Speaker 5: That's good, it's amazing.
Speaker 3: So all you got to do is get to ten wins to win the NFC East next year, probably because of the tough schedule ad and like it's the same every year.
Speaker 1: And then Philadelphia, what hap these guys, Well you got to be awfully good to play that schedule, and that's what happened to them this year too.
Speaker 3: Do you think those teams will be just as good next year as what they are this year?
Speaker 4: Not all of them. No, they won't be.
Speaker 1: They'll be in That's what injuries catch up with.
Speaker 2: That's what the NFC, I mean, Philadelphia.
Speaker 3: That's why this schedule formula is in existence to even things out.
Speaker 1: Now Philadelphia's got to play those same of course exactly conferences, but they got to play the NFC West first place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which is what the Cowboys had to do this shi, which is.
Speaker 1: So that's the why am I blanking out for West? The Rams, right, and then the NFC South, Not big deal, right, it's Tampa.
Speaker 4: Bay, Tampa Bay.
Speaker 5: Right, Now, Cowboys get New Orleans and then the a f C.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we don't do well. Yeah, that's just a pushover.
Speaker 1: Believe you just passed over or beat them forty whatever. And then they got to play first place in the a f C East, which is Buffalo, So that's a tough one. But the other two not that much different than who you gotta play, especially when you got Detroit, Minnesota, Green Bay, Kansas City Chargers, and probably Denver, although they've got to win, and does somebody have to lose for Denver's.
Speaker 3: Denver if Denver wins over Kansas City, which has nothing to play.
Speaker 1: For Denver's in which is a remarkable job by Sean Payton, by the way, which, by the way, with a rookie quarterback.
Speaker 4: How about Miami?
Speaker 2: And you know why?
Speaker 6: Defense, Defense, That's why this doesn't scare me.
Speaker 2: Oh we gotta play, dude.
Speaker 6: You put a good defense out there, you got a chance every time. I don't care what your offense looks like. I'm not just like my boy said, it's nothing. I've heard something I've done. I've seen it happen. These guys good teams. Yes, everybody talks about reputations. Yes, but if you come up there and you do like Mike Tyson, hit somebody in the mouth and see where that game play.
Speaker 3: Goes, you know about along the lines to the defense, Go ahead, Mackey.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, to emphasize this point. In two thousand and three, when the Cowboys got a wild card berth somehow, somehow, some way, Bill Parcells first year, Yeah, Quincy Carter was the quarterback. Yeah, Troy Hambrick was the running back.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: And I think one of the leading receivers was Richie Anderson the fullback. Think about it, I let that sink in.
Speaker 5: The defense.
Speaker 1: Third against the run, first against the past number one defense thanks to Mike Zimmer.
Speaker 3: I was going to say, who is the defensive coordinator by Zimmer and by which leads me perfectly into what I was about to say.
Speaker 4: I think one.
Speaker 3: Coach for sure that Jerry Jones would like to bring back is Mike Simmer.
Speaker 1: Yes, and I think it'll come down to did he enjoy this? Does he want to continue to coach?
Speaker 5: I think you and.
Speaker 2: I don't think he's been through a season like this.
Speaker 5: But I'm hoping I can get through this.
Speaker 1: It was pretty emotional just yesterday Zim as well as he did and he said they asked him about coming back, and he said, well, one of the things I did I did it for my son. Yeah, Adam passed away two years ago.
Speaker 3: Couple of years of October twenty two reached out to him and Adam, and then Adam had coached with his dad, starting in Cincinnati and then with all throughout the time at Minnesota and had been growing up here. I mean, Adam was thirty eight years old when he passed away, and so he grew up here, went to Colinville, heretage, and he was on the Cowboys sideline or sudden passing.
Speaker 5: And then and.
Speaker 1: Then somebody had to ask a follow up question, well why did this meet so much to you by your son, And he got pretty emotional talking about, well, he would have been here with me.
Speaker 2: Did he make it through?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he did, and he was great talking about it, And I thought it. I thought it was really We used it last night on the news because it really showed people didn't didn't realize what has gone on. And of course Mike's life going back to his his his wife fifteen years ago sudden passing when he was an assistant coach at Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Uh, And but he was I thought he said it beautifully about how he needed to get back on.
Speaker 4: The field this season.
Speaker 3: He's been coping with his son's death for two years now.
Speaker 4: And uh, and how.
Speaker 3: He've talked about the season opener in Cleveland, how being back on the field and just being in that environment and people even from the other team coming up to him, staff members saying how great it is to see him back, and then going through the season, and he talked about how Adam loved the Cowboys. You know, when Adam was a kid, Adam was a kid. You know, Zim came before, and so Adam would have been ten years old then, and so as a kid, as a teenager, you know, he was always around, you know, on the sideline that training camp whatever. Even when the Cowboys were in training camp in San Antonio, he was in school at Trinity University, hanging.
Speaker 4: Around down there.
Speaker 3: And I thought it was beautiful the way Mike talked about it, and he got emotional talking about it, and I thought it was.
Speaker 1: Just kind of finished, just in time, because yeah, he got and I was right there with him because I knew Adam, you know, knew his wife, his whole story. Because after the two thousand and six season, Parcells wasn't sure if he was coming back, and Mike's contract was up, and he got an offer to go to Atlanta with the coach that used to be at Louisville ended.
Speaker 4: Up Bobby Petrino.
Speaker 1: Patrino, and Petrino had offered the job as the defensive coordinat so he had to decide do I take what I know or do I stay here and see what Parcell's going to do, because he might have had a chance to be the head coach here because he had gotten interviewed the year before by Nebraska and he didn't like the way it looked and he turned it down.
Speaker 5: So he goes to Atlanta.
Speaker 1: Patrino, I don't know, four games left in the season, quit to go to Arkansas. He was weird and unless his whole staff that he hired there.
Speaker 2: You know, the motorcycle rider.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so he goes to Cincinnati next and I think they had to play Atlanta like that season and somebody asked him about his experience it Atlanta.
Speaker 5: Oh, look it up online.
Speaker 1: He went off on Patrino like you never in whatever machine you guys have to bleep the words out.
Speaker 5: It would have run out of bleeps. I swear to he just unloaded.
Speaker 2: Well before we I know, we gotta go.
Speaker 6: But uh, there are times when you get an apology or you get to release something, let it out.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you feel better.
Speaker 6: Sometimes you feel bad, as much as you might want to hold it in, and you think you're holding in for your own sake and.
Speaker 2: Don't want to involve anybody else.
Speaker 6: When you let it out, sometimes it feels good, and you'd be surprised about how good it. I had a guy apologize to me one day about something that happened a long time ago, and man, I told him it was all good.
Speaker 2: But as I started thinking about it, I felt better. I felt better.
Speaker 6: Because he apologized, and you let it go, Yes, I did.
Speaker 2: I had already let it go, but the fact that.
Speaker 6: He apologized to me, I had let it go without him apologizing, but then he apologized, and.
Speaker 2: I was like, nah, man, don't worry about it. And I didn't realize how good I felt. I did not realize how good that out there felt. Some sure them it felt the same way.
Speaker 1: And I think when we resume on Thursday, we can talk more about the assistant coaches, talking about their unknown of not knowing where you're going. I thought all of them, or John Fossil. John Fossil was really good at it because he grew up in that situation with his dad right. I think he told me he he'd lived twelve different places as a kid growing up, dad chasing the coaching and how how tough it is. You don't get immune to it, but you kind of know how to deal with it. And I think all the guys were really good talking about that.
Speaker 2: Anybody heard anything about al Harris being.
Speaker 3: How somebody should He's always, he's always, he's gonna.
Speaker 1: He's a defensive coordinator and no.
Speaker 3: Matter what happens here, he's getting he'll land, uh safely somewhere and in a good place. But I would think he's a good chance he will still be here if they keep you know.
Speaker 5: That that would be a priority if I was coming.
Speaker 3: And that all the factors into it, I think, the whole the whole coaching staff, and when when they're all up to your point from earlier, uh and why you in a just in a general sense, I feel like that keeping that continuity is important.
Speaker 6: You know, Uh, you can teach these young no name guys and no disrespect to them, they just people don't know them. But if you can teach guys with this little experience and you get guys who have been here that realize I got to step up and play better. Olsa being one of those guys you know, it just gives you pause, it does. It gives you a little bit of an optimism.
Speaker 1: But when we come back on Thursday, you're gonna have to talk about playing for Ernie Startner.
Speaker 2: Oh cool, cool, I'm ready.
Speaker 3: I'm ready, all right, So happy New Year everybody, and we won't be.
Speaker 4: Here tomorrow, but we will be here on Thursday.
Speaker 5: This season, it's not done yet.
Speaker 4: I Noon twenty twenty five is straight ahead.
Speaker 2: Go Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.