Speaker 1: The weapons kept moving. Slouch and Bebop made contact in the Everglades, Cia. They have pigs they're going in. Sally Barnes came home to watch her father die, but she found Leshinsky first. They sailed to cat and Kidd's Island, stayed at night while the Colonel took his last breath from the mainland. Now he's buried, Sally's gone, Patterson signed papers he never wanted to sign, and the razor fiend Crow the barber finally showed his hand. Lindquish shot him. Now Slouch and Bebopper shipping out for Cuba, and whatever's left of this place won't survive the summer. In Timmy or Patterson's hot evening, the Commander is asleep in his bump while the radio plays. A lion sleeps tonight. Through the window, we see Sally and the Shinsky untying a boat and pushing it off into the lagoon. Cut to exterior Biscayne Bay afternoon. Sally and Li Shinske hoist the sail and head off toward Captain Kids Island. Cut to exterior Captain Kid's Island late afternoon. Sally is digging in the sand under a palm tree. Leshinsky sits and watches her my California.
Speaker 2: I want to go to UCLA, study poly Side, Barry Troy Donahue.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I need to get as far away from this graveyard as possible.
Speaker 1: It's not just a graveyard.
Speaker 4: Look around you.
Speaker 3: This is where everybody comes to die.
Speaker 2: Or haven't you noticed Miami Beach the last sunset.
Speaker 3: Your dad's pretty sick, Yeah, yeah, pretty sick.
Speaker 1: What's gonna happen here? If you you.
Speaker 2: Know, well, if he you know, it's not my department. If I was you, I think about jumping Chip real soon. You could come with me to California. You could marry Sandra d but you'd have to change that bow hunk name of yours.
Speaker 1: Lashinsky rolls over in the sand and stares at the sky. Charles Brons's name is Charlie Boshinski.
Speaker 3: No fooling'.
Speaker 5: This is a neat hideout.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: Better before there were so many buildings out there, just the Fountain Blue and a couple of others.
Speaker 3: This was my island paradise. I used to run around naked and wait to be rescued.
Speaker 5: And here I am, and here you are. I could stay here forever.
Speaker 1: Sally points to the sailboat drifting away.
Speaker 3: We might have to we gotta swim back. These waters are infested with barracudas.
Speaker 4: Are you serious?
Speaker 1: Sally sits next to him in the sand.
Speaker 3: Don't you believe me?
Speaker 5: So we're stuck here.
Speaker 3: I'm afraid of the dark.
Speaker 1: Maybe dissolved To exterior Barnes House night, Commander Patterson knocks on the door. He turns to Wheeler and Linquist and dismisses them. Madam Butterfly comes to the door.
Speaker 5: Come in, Commander Hia Blossom. How's the colonel?
Speaker 6: Not good?
Speaker 1: Patterson enters interior Barnes House night. Madam Butterfly ushers Patterson into Barnes's room. There's a wash with oxygen bottles, intravenous injections, and all the accouterments of a death watch.
Speaker 5: I'll only stay a minute.
Speaker 1: Marico and Patterson watch the sleeping figure of Barnes in his bed. She looks at Patterson and leaves the room. Patterson walks around, looking at military souvenirs and memorabilia. He sits for a moment and watches the colonel's frail breathing. His eyes scan the photos of the colonel and Sally as a child. There are photos of the colonel's wife, a photo of Patterson, a buxom blonde, and the colonel drinking beer. They're all dressed in World War Two uniforms. Patterson opens a box of cigars, smiles and closes it.
Speaker 7: Take them Romeo and Juliet Moroka got him from Havana.
Speaker 5: How you feeling, Daryl, Saint Sally? Not tonight. We had a nice talk the other day.
Speaker 7: She's a handful.
Speaker 5: What do you expect. She's your daughter.
Speaker 7: Keep you an eye on her bed. Honey to the bees.
Speaker 5: I guess so a lot of bees around. You Gotta talk to her, Daryl. That's why she's here.
Speaker 1: There's nothing left to say that. That's a bit said.
Speaker 7: Your turn being daddy their mother like that.
Speaker 5: I was down on the range this afternoon checking out the new ar fives.
Speaker 7: Yeah, very flexible weapons.
Speaker 5: Made the boys a lot happier than those and ones. They're only six pounds firepower. You wouldn't believe jamming problems though. They need to work out. Pat I need.
Speaker 7: Armies calling us chips in what chips?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 8: She bang?
Speaker 7: Disbanding the farm Property Ordinance. Everything they're taking us down, Jesus, what about the boys? Yeah, I'm afraid it's over. Nothing left here. I need here, John Hancock. When the time comes and needs you to sign the papers over there, think I can make it. Dam Ron will notarize the damn thing.
Speaker 1: Patterson goes to the dresser and looks at the papers.
Speaker 5: He can't do this now, I don't want it. Give it the damn Ron. He's almost a damn lawyer, if.
Speaker 7: You're noticing, he always looks like you just sucked a lemon. This place will be a high rise in three months. Anyway, I need you to button up.
Speaker 5: Here, pat.
Speaker 7: Better you than Sally. And there's an envelope for her.
Speaker 5: Nice of you to let me know.
Speaker 7: Need to know basis bat.
Speaker 5: Now you know, thanks little goddamn late for that. Now you're a damn fool to think I can do this, no.
Speaker 1: Choice about.
Speaker 5: And you to start thinking ahead?
Speaker 9: Button her up.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry.
Speaker 7: Never been very good at contingencies. The case on's keep rolling.
Speaker 5: Where are they gonna go? Still? Just babies, most of them. This was your dream, your selfish bestard, not mine. There was a time I could have done more than just clean up your shit. Helped. There was a reason for respect trust at this place.
Speaker 1: It was you.
Speaker 5: What do I do now? Huh? Only home for most of them, though, gonna die on me now, you God damn coward.
Speaker 1: The colonel hasn't heard. He's asleep or drifting towards another place. Fade to interior Aunt Selina's house, day dawn. Be Bop is asleep on the living room sofa. The TV is blaring away with a Yogi Bear cartoon. The front door opens and a man enters carrying a pink stuffed alligator. He sees be Bop on the sofa and places the alligator next to him. The man takes off his shoes and Hawaiian shirt and tiptoes upstairs. Interior Selena's bedroom. Day Selena and Sloucher asleep like two spoons. Golden morning sun coming through the curtains. You can almost hear the bluebirds. Interior living room Day. Bebop wakes up at a sound on the stairs. De Wood, It doesn't Gaza. The man on the stairs turns and tries to quiet Beebop. He is, of course, Uncle Raoul.
Speaker 4: Sh It's doesn't gaza.
Speaker 1: Interior Selena's room. Slouch bolts up right in the bed and looks at Selena, who is all eyes as well.
Speaker 6: You know it's Si a ventro a supermercal a las Lemoniana Seio bought up up Ciga.
Speaker 1: Heels slouching Aunt Selena in a panic, grabbing at clothing as they scurry around the room. Interior the stairway day. Uncle Raoul is melting the stairs. The bedroom door atop of the stairs bursts open and Slouch runs out naked. He's carrying his clothes in a blanket that he throws over Uncle Raoul. As Uncle Raoul tumbles down the stairs, Slouch grabs a stuffed alligator from Bebop and smacks Uncle Raoul with it. Bebop and Slouch charge out the front door and down the street. Angle Aunt Selena if the top of the stairs, holding a sheet up to her otherwise naked body. She looks down at Raoul.
Speaker 10: Bo cut to exterior.
Speaker 1: The school Dawn Hargrave sounds readily. Patterson by the dock spots the empty drifting dinghy dissolved to interior. A company Barrack's day. The boys are preparing for inspection. Sea cow dresses, linquists and dress whites. Slouch is trying to borrow a pair of pants.
Speaker 11: All right, Come on, Sea Count, be a pow man.
Speaker 4: I mean, we'll all be stuck in here if I got no pants on.
Speaker 1: Sea Cow throws his pants at slouch. Thanks. Cut to Angle, Sea Cow and Linquist.
Speaker 9: If anybody ask you anything at all, just say no excuse sir?
Speaker 5: Can you all say that? Hopeless?
Speaker 1: Bova is looking out the indoor at the lagoon. He grabs Slo's binoculars and looks at something out the window. Through the binoculars, we see Patterson, Sally, and Lashinsky returning to the lagoon and a dinghy.
Speaker 9: Because Lisiysky looks like he gets the gold coy.
Speaker 1: Cut to exterior lagoon Day. Sally sees the boys of a company watching through binoculars and whooping it up on shore, calling way to go, Lashinsky. She looks at Leshinsky blankly, her feelings of humiliation lost in a greater pain. Cut to exterior lagoon Day. Slow snatches the binoculars from Bova as the boys rush to get a look. Cut to boat dock Day. As soon as the dinghy lands, Sally runs towards her father's house. Angle, Patterson, and Lashinsky get to your barracks.
Speaker 5: And keep your mouth shut about the Colonel Sally on the double.
Speaker 1: Son, Leshinsky heads off in the direction of the barracks. Cut to interior a company barrack's day. As Lishinski enters, a loud cheer goes up from the boys. Lashinsky is stunned and silent as he stands at the door.
Speaker 9: Well, well, well, Lizhinsky, never know you had a deal o.
Speaker 1: Bahama Mama drapes a sheet over his shoulders and raises the makeshift laurel wreath above his head.
Speaker 9: Barracks ten.
Speaker 1: The boy snapped to attention as Bahama Mama waddles through the bunks toward the stun Leashinsky. The gold coin is held high above his head for all to see.
Speaker 12: Oh, Private Stephen Lishinsky has won the coveted award for spearing the White Whale. Sally Barnes has received the Honorable Seaman Award.
Speaker 1: Bahama Mama rests his arm on Lashinsky's shoulder. Lishinsky knocks it away.
Speaker 5: Your hands off me? Shit, can hey, what's wrong with you?
Speaker 9: Who's the matter?
Speaker 3: This?
Speaker 5: He led the rud the below eponent.
Speaker 1: Lishinsky punches bear in his huge laughing face, and the whole barracks is into it. Cut to angle Major Damron. He enters the barracks.
Speaker 11: Barracks ty not.
Speaker 13: Inspection before the parade will be conducted by a representative of the US Army this weekend, so I need not stress the importance of being on your best behavior as you were.
Speaker 1: He exits, dissolved to exterior Barnes porch day. A porch light is still on. Sally opens the door to her father's room. Barnes lies covered. Patterson and Norico come up behind her as she stands motionless.
Speaker 6: I called peabodies. They pick them up when you say too.
Speaker 5: We'll make the announcement when the boys get back from the parade tomorrow. No sense alarming anybody right now. After they leave, we can go down and make the arrangements.
Speaker 6: I'm so sorry, baby girl, the okay, just.
Speaker 3: Gimme a minute.
Speaker 1: She closes the door behind her. She looks at the pictures on the dresser. A five year old girl salutes her daddy. She opens the envelope pours it on the counter. It contains a cashier's check and two medals, the Army's silver star and a purple heart. She sits in the bedside chair, holds her father's cold hand. She won't cry.
Speaker 3: Who's the deserter?
Speaker 1: Now dissolved to exterior parade field. Today, Patterson stands at the podium overseeing the inspection. A US Army colonel and two Cuban civilians look on. The platoons are lined up, with the squad leaders checking the boys inspection arms. The boys release the bolt mechanisms of their weapons. As they do, a thirty caliber bullet fly eyes up and hits Sollow in the chest, then falls to his feet. Sawow reaches down and picks up the shell at the feet of Linquist.
Speaker 9: Where in the hell did you get this?
Speaker 1: Linquist smiles and points to his name tag, which reads Combs Jesus. But before Sauw can pursue an investigation company ten the company comes to attention as a distracted Patterson and the Army colonel rush through a haphazard inspection of a company. As they move on to B company, the colonel talks quietly to the Cubans, gesturing toward the AMMO dumps. That was easy angle on Patterson. Later the inspection is.
Speaker 5: Over, we'll be proceeding down one hundred and thirty fifth Street until we reach the fair grounds. We will follow the Fort Lauderdale majurettes.
Speaker 7: You were.
Speaker 5: We will then proceed with our drill angle trencher. I like the drill, the manager it following the drill. You will have three free hours at the fair. At eighteen hundred hours, we will reform at the parking lot, where buses will bring us back to the school. Anybody not at the parking lot at the appointed hour will be considered a wall and will be given a subsequent E five. I look forward to honorable behavior from each of you, gentlemen. All right, Colonel, move them out.
Speaker 1: Argimento shouts from the podium, Group.
Speaker 9: Company, Platoon, squad, right face, and.
Speaker 1: The parade marches off through the gate. The drum and bule corps play the Stars and stripes. Exterior Miami Street Day Parade montage. The boys march along the streets of Miami. It's a spectacular site. Ribbons and banners adorn the roofs of the building. Everywhere is a glint of brass and the sound of marching bands. Cut to exterior Street Day dusk. Uncle Raoul is standing among the spectators lining the street. He searches the faces of the boys in the parade as the Miami Military Academy passes. Cut to exterior Fairgrounds day dusk. An announcer is poison scaffolding overlooking the fairgrounds.
Speaker 11: Entering the fairgrounds is the Upper Dania High School Marching Band.
Speaker 1: The band marches smartly through the arch over the fairground entrance. They perform SUSA Badly.
Speaker 11: Followed by the Druger Department Store Sauerkraut Band.
Speaker 1: Cut to exterior Fairground parking lot day. The Miami Military Boys are in a holding pattern outside the fairgrounds. They are marking time behind the Fort Lauderdale majorrettes.
Speaker 5: Who's twenty you lucky lazy?
Speaker 1: We're gonna try that again. Who's tun of you lucky ladies?
Speaker 9: You'd like to ride the w mouse? Who's it gonna be?
Speaker 5: Waldmouse? Waldmouse?
Speaker 1: A major at Leonora is disgusted with bear.
Speaker 5: So be disgusting.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna wants to even look at your wild mouse.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, it's a.
Speaker 4: Ride, some ride, I'll bet turn brains well.
Speaker 3: He's kind of culle Lenora.
Speaker 8: You've never seen them without their uniforms. Sound like Pillsbury dough boys, Oh white and fuzzy.
Speaker 11: And now the Fort Lauderdale majorrettes.
Speaker 1: And the girls begin to move out and into the fairground.
Speaker 11: Eleanor I like your mustache.
Speaker 1: Without losing a beat. Leonora catches Bear in the groin with her baton. He writhes in pain. As Leonora puts on her biggest smile for the crowd, he drops his rifle and doubles up.
Speaker 7: Company did four War march and back by popular request the Miami Military Academy.
Speaker 1: There is a resounding booth the spectators.
Speaker 9: Hey call me crazy, but I think they're starting to get to like us.
Speaker 1: Cut to interior Fairgrounds Day. The boys march through the gates to the tune of Stars and Stripes. They perform their varied military maneuvers in front of the grand stand, Bear managing as best he can with an exploding nutsack. Cut to exterior Midway day the games of Chance, rides and amusements. The boys are at play. Slouch and Beebop are sharing Merry go Round with a couple of major X. Exterior the Stockyards Day, Sea Cow and Linquist are taking in the animal husbandry exhibits, people grooming sheep, cows and goats. A milkmane is grooming a prize jersey cow.
Speaker 6: That's a good look at it's Oh.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 9: Hostings have the longer warns.
Speaker 8: I don't think so Jerseys are brown and Holsteins are usually black and white. Another thing, Jerseys get about twelve percent more butterfly one more time.
Speaker 2: Holstein's not Hollstein's Jewish.
Speaker 8: I don't think so jerseys are brown and Holsteins are usually black and white. Another thing, Jerseys give about two percent more.
Speaker 1: Butterfat cut two angle Linquist. As he wanders away from sea cow and the milk made over to the sheep exhibit, he watches the sad face of his sheep straddling a shearing block. Cut to exterior midway day, the clang of a bell a wider angle reveals Bear, Sollow, Bova, and hard Graves, all smoking fat cigars and laughing like fools. The disgruntled Carny is trying to discourage Bear from taking another swing with the hammer.
Speaker 14: Tons of limit, Give me the hammer, you what's the side eight off?
Speaker 1: Give me that hammer. One price to customer. All the while Bear is pounding away with the huge hammer and the bell at the top of the pole keeps ringing. They attract a crowd. The spectator's boo as the barker tries to get the hammer from Bear. Finally, Bear just tosses the hammer on the ground and walks away. Cut to exterior midway Wheeler in Patterson as they stroll along past the ring toss and other games of chance. Then announcement comes over the PA system.
Speaker 11: Five minutes fusand.
Speaker 5: Five minutes well the Kingston trio. Let's go, Commander, Nah, I hate that rock and roll stuff.
Speaker 4: Not rock and roll the Kingston Trio.
Speaker 7: Come on.
Speaker 1: He tugs at the commander, pulling him in the direction of the grand stand. Cut to exterior midway Wild Mouse Ride day.
Speaker 8: Look, I apologize, thought you were just being rude.
Speaker 5: David.
Speaker 3: Can you walk? Okay?
Speaker 14: Oh, no, big thing, I mean fun. I mean you just caught one of them another one. The other one is fine, not like crippled or nothing.
Speaker 8: Okay, Well, maybe you should sit in front.
Speaker 7: Okay, I've been looking forward to this all year.
Speaker 1: Cut to interior sheet Pen day. Then Quist releases the catch on the pen and watch the sheep roam out onto the midway. He herds them out of their tents and claps to stampede them.
Speaker 7: Hey and boys, stop them sheeps stop that.
Speaker 1: Several people try to intercept the sheep as they escape. Lindquist looks proud. The man grabs Linquist by the neck. Cut to exterior grand Standee, Patterson and Wheeler are leaving the stands.
Speaker 4: Great music Hall.
Speaker 5: Commander, Where's Arthur?
Speaker 4: He's a sea cow.
Speaker 15: Looking at the animals, I'm allergic animals, all animals.
Speaker 5: We better check.
Speaker 1: Cut to midway, Bebop and Slouch. They are eating cotton candy and smoking cigars like Pinocchio and lamp Wick at Pleasure Island. Midway another angle converging.
Speaker 4: Hey, you get your heads off.
Speaker 1: Bear, Bova, Sollow and hard Graves see the scuffle with Linquist, who his pin face first and a dirt by the irate man.
Speaker 5: Let's go.
Speaker 1: Wheeler rushes up and gets another fist to the nose. Suddenly Bear jumps in and heaves the man onto a popcorn stamp. A carne jumps on Bear, which brings Solo and Bova into it. Slouch him Bebop dive in our Grace, puts his bugle to his lips and blows call to arm. Cut to another angle. The sheep stampede the midway, heading into the fight, Tawnys condects, sheep, Farmers, Carnies all into it. Now Chaos reins. A beefy Carney is pummeling Bova and there's about to deal in the series blow when a large arm reaches in and swirls a carnee around. The arm punches a Carney and sends him sprawling among the puzzled sheet. It's Patterson, who has become John Wayne Cross. Fade to Interior Army bus night. Patterson is leading the convoy, driving with Wheeler and Linquists also in the front. Behind them. In the rows we can see the rest of the boys from a company. Bova holds an ice pack to his cheek. There has one on his crotch.
Speaker 4: So, Commander, would you like best at the fair?
Speaker 15: Ah?
Speaker 5: The music, I guess yeah, the Kingston Trail.
Speaker 7: They're all that.
Speaker 5: Old Woody Go three. Song they did was something else?
Speaker 15: No, No, they wrote all their own music and stuff. They got an album everything.
Speaker 5: Ruben James, that's an old song wood he wrote. What were their names? Tell me what were their names? Did you have a friend on the good Ruben James, No fool's In fact, I knew a fellow on the Ruben James. Two fellas actually the Cisco brothers, Johnny and Billy Cisco. He and his brother used to come up to the cabin I had in Stockbridge. We were the first nudist stuff there.
Speaker 4: Uh oh.
Speaker 5: We were in the Merchant Marines together, me and Billy and Johnny. Then the two of them got stationed down the destroyer the Ruben James. Johnny was killed when they got torpedo off Iceland, first casualties of the war, even before Pearl was hit another ocean away. Johnny was in the engine room when they got it and Billy was on deck. That's the way I heard it. Anyway, Billy kept jumping out of the lifeboat near drowned, trying to dive down and save his dead brother.
Speaker 11: Je sounds cold.
Speaker 5: They had to sit on him to keep him from jumping out of the boat. I ran into Billy in a bar up in Stockbridge after the war forty nine. We'd been drinking a lot of toasting a lot, and I got up and said to the memory of one of the finest men ever to die in the war, Johnny Cisco. Well, Billy depped me. I was out cold for a long time, and when I came to. He was is bending over me and crying and saying he was sorry. Then we drank some more. But to his dying day, he never believed that Johnny drowned. Thought in his mind that he was a prisoner of war. Somewhere, I guess.
Speaker 1: Wheeler is asleep and Linquist's arms.
Speaker 5: He okay.
Speaker 1: Lindquist nods and holds Wheeler like a teddy bear, slouch smiles to himself. Be Bob has lost in thought. Exterior Bayfront day in the early morning, the flag at half mast. The entire school is assembled and dressed whites on the bayfront. Patterson and Sally and his skiff sell out of the lagoon. Entering the mouth of the bay, Hard Graves plays taps. Sally in his stern pour his ashes.
Speaker 5: From an urn.
Speaker 1: She is wearing an Army silver star and a purple heart tied with a ribbon around her neck. Angle Leshinsky as he watches Sally from the ranks. The band begins to play down the road. Dissolved to exterior barracks night. It's dark except for a light from the doorway. The school is asleep. Cut to interior latrine night. Lieutenant Wheeler sits on the can. He's in his pajamas, yet still wearing his sword. The sound of footsteps entering the darken latrine. A shadow moves along the wall and stops the sink. Cut too close shot the sink. A hand comes in and picks up the soap. Another hand em beds a razor blade deep into the bar of soap. Cut two. Wheeler sitting quietly in his door, watching the figure at the sink. Wheeler picks up his flashlight and aims the light on the figure at the washstand. It is Crow, the barber.
Speaker 4: Crow, what do you do?
Speaker 1: Crow fumbles the razor blades and they fall on the white tile floor. He bolts for the.
Speaker 4: Door, razervn razor fe.
Speaker 1: He tries to get his pants up. His Crow runs out the front door of the La Trees. Wheeler and hop pursuit leaps onto the back of the fleeing crow. Cut to exterior A company barracks night. The entire barracks is awake and running to see what is happening outside. Wheeler is on Crow's back and trying to bring him down like a steer. Crow gets tangled and Wheeler's sword. They tumble to the ground. Exterior parade fields. Night Crow has managed to get Wheeler's sword away from him, and he's about to slice him in half when a shot rings out. Crow yelps, grabs his arm, dropping the sword, and topples to the ground. Angle Mango Tree Night we see Linquist sitting in the trees, cradling his smoking rifle. He's terrified. Cut to exterior infirmary. Night Patterson is taughting to Earl the ambulance drivers. He closes the back of the ambulance. Norico stands by.
Speaker 5: He left me no choice, Earl. It was either him or one of my boys.
Speaker 11: He's always had a screw loose past.
Speaker 5: I can't say you weren't worn.
Speaker 1: I knew he tried something.
Speaker 5: If you let him come back here, Earl, about writing this up, God, forget about it. For all our sakes.
Speaker 11: We'll patch him up and they'll keep their mouth shuts.
Speaker 5: They know what's good for him. He's not hurt all that bad.
Speaker 1: Earl signals to his sidekick.
Speaker 11: Hey, come on, Hector, another cowboy for the ranch.
Speaker 1: Crows in the back of the ambulance.
Speaker 5: Don't make me go back, Commander.
Speaker 1: I'm so sorry.
Speaker 5: I think it's best John. They can take better care of you there than we can. Commanda, he can't have you hurting the boys.
Speaker 1: John, Hector, and Earl get into the ambulance. Crow huddles up to the window behind the cab.
Speaker 6: We'll take good care of you, Johnny.
Speaker 5: Is ethel still there?
Speaker 7: Yeah, she's been asking for you.
Speaker 1: Both the drivers chuckle. Outside the ambulance, the boys are peering in the windows.
Speaker 5: A Crow, he's an old boy.
Speaker 9: I remember when he graduated an hour.
Speaker 3: Why'd you do it?
Speaker 5: Crow?
Speaker 4: What'd you do it for?
Speaker 11: Because sometimes boys have to be disciplined, the ones who have lost the way.
Speaker 1: The boys are pressing to get a last look at Crow. As the ambulance pulls away.
Speaker 5: Back to kiss Dorothy.
Speaker 1: Hermon, Marico places a hand on Patterson's shoulder.
Speaker 6: Sorry, Pat, sometimes you must let boys go.
Speaker 5: Well, No more haircuts.
Speaker 1: Dissolved to exterior Administration building. Day. Wheeler is talking on the payphone, slouching. Bebop A rushing him to get off.
Speaker 15: Put a sock into Edison and us in four minutes, we're traveling light. If she wants us to wear them greaseball Sivy's, she could buy us each a wardrobe.
Speaker 1: Woman, get there, slouch and Bebop check their watches as they listen to Wheeler Drone on.
Speaker 15: His name is Arthur Linquist. I sent you a picture, so get mom to take care of the passports.
Speaker 4: Hell, I don't know. She did it for the goomba. She could do it for me. Twelve hundred dollars sharp Monday.
Speaker 1: He hangs up the phone.
Speaker 15: If it ain't the Gunnerrhea Twins get lost Toesa Peko.
Speaker 1: Cut two Interior a company barracks. Night boys are in study halls, sitting on folding chairs at their desks. Leslie Gore's It's My Party plays on the radio. Bear is reading a stroke book to Linquist.
Speaker 14: She walked through the doorwaar in a neglige that looked like a week's work for a small spider. She had a deep throaty laugh, like the sound a dog makes before it throws up.
Speaker 1: Sallow grabs the book from Bear.
Speaker 11: Study Something none left to study?
Speaker 1: I finished on my test. Find something Cut to Exterior Administration Building. Night Bebop on the payphone. Slouch huddles next to him.
Speaker 5: Dig me see Webby in We're going in Vicon. I grew up on the beaches. You're my aid.
Speaker 1: That's a lot of cubano. Now no going back, so here we go. Dissolved to exterior Barnes Front porch. Night Sally sits on the steps. Leshinsky joins, Sir, get lost.
Speaker 5: I am lost.
Speaker 1: I was wondering if you could help me find the bay so I could jump in.
Speaker 3: You're not lost, You're a loser. You come up here to win another medal. I think you're a pig.
Speaker 10: Sally as god as my witness, oh scarlettle hair, and now I'm sorry for everything you, your dad, everybody seemed to you know, respect him. Shut up.
Speaker 3: Please you're also useless.
Speaker 4: Please just go away.
Speaker 5: I can't do that.
Speaker 1: I won't. She lets out a sob, then the dam burst. L Shiski sits helplessly beside her for a long time. Finally she folds into his arms. Dissolved to exterior boat. Doc Knight Patterson sits on the bench and lights up. After a moment, he sees slouch in Biba. There's an open fishing boat tied up nearby. The two boys pull their duffels out of the bushes and sling them on their shoulders. Uncle Raoul, the Guel, Sanchez and Anita wait for them. Uncle Raoul sees Patterson. Raoul salutes Patterson with two fingers. Patterson pulls a forty five from his belt and aims at.
Speaker 5: At Raoul, as you were a commander.
Speaker 1: Patterson turns to see the army colonel, now a civilian clothes, and his three Cuban officials from the parade inspectrum.
Speaker 7: I believe Colonel Barnes put you in charge.
Speaker 5: What's going on? Colonel?
Speaker 7: Retrieving army ordinance? Commander?
Speaker 5: You got papers?
Speaker 7: Actually, Commander, we're not even here.
Speaker 5: Boys. Get back to your barracks.
Speaker 1: Raoul steps forward.
Speaker 5: Mano's leaving school a little early.
Speaker 4: His family needs him.
Speaker 5: I'm out of here, to Commander. I gotta do this. Where'd you get those keys? Son?
Speaker 7: Sorry, there's no time for this right now. Step aside, Commander, that's an order.
Speaker 5: I ain't in your army, mister.
Speaker 1: Patterson struggles for his gun as Miguel slams him to the ground. Another holds a wet cloth over his face. No, what are you doing, Patterson goes limb.
Speaker 7: Don't worry, he'll be good as new in a few hours.
Speaker 5: You coming in love a boy? Come on, Slash, you can't stay here now.
Speaker 1: Exterior boat Biscayne Bay Night be Bop and slouch watched from top side as Miami Military Academy is lost in the distance. Dissolved to interior Barracks night. Linquist lies on Coombs's bed, gazing out the window toward the boat shed. A light is flashing Morse code for the boat shed window. SOS cut to exterior boat dock Night. Linquist prize the lock off the boat shed door. Patterson sits in a stupor, bottle in one hand, flashlight another ammo dump keys at his feet.
Speaker 5: Must have locked myself in just between us okay.
Speaker 1: Linquist nods. Dissolved to exterior Biscayne Bay.
Speaker 5: Day.
Speaker 1: A sail boat race. Lishinski and Bearer in one boat, Wheeler and Linquist in another, racing against the teams from B Company. As they reached the final leg back from Captain Kids Eyele, Wheeler and Linquist are in the lead. The schools gathered along the shore cheering them onward. Wheeler works the sail while Linquist controls the tiller. They are very excited as they cross the finish line. Dissolved to interior Barnes' House Day. Sally stands in the darkened living room, sheets cover the remaining furniture. She retrieves a final carton and exits. Cut to exterior Barnes House day. Patterson is standing by on the porch. Sally locks the house door and hands him the key, then takes a frame picture from the carton.
Speaker 3: I think this was my birth announcement. I want you to have it.
Speaker 1: It's the picture of Sally's mom. Barnes and pat beers raised in a toast on a jubilant evening.
Speaker 5: I'll hold on to it for you.
Speaker 3: I guess I'm your job now for real. Always best to your mom if I see her first.
Speaker 1: She kisses him and walks down the steps. Leshinsky is standing beside Sally's van. It's packed for the road. He hands her a small box tied up with a ribbon. Sally opens it and holds up the brass coin suspend it on her ribbon. The note says twenty four carrot gold.
Speaker 3: Keep polish in your brass. You never know.
Speaker 1: She kisses him sweetly, then starts to drive away. She waits patiently as a cadet raises the barrier. The two men watch her disappear through the archway.
Speaker 9: Farewell, thou art too did for my possession, and like enough thou known stein estimate.
Speaker 1: Interior a company night taps sounds. The boys are in their bunks.
Speaker 5: If Coombs don't come back and link with graduates, who's going to win the pot?
Speaker 1: We didn't think of that, did we? Crossfade to interior inass Leshinsky lost in thought.
Speaker 9: For how do I hold thee? But by thy granting? And for that great riches, where is my deserving?
Speaker 1: Cross fade to exterior boat dock. Patterson nips a pint, stares across the bay. Crossfade to exterior highway. Day Sally drives along with the wind, blowing her hair like a whip.
Speaker 9: For I have loved thee as a dream, doth flatter and sleep a king, but waking no such matter.
Speaker 1: Dissolved to exterior doc Evening. Patterson sits on his bench, bleary eyed and vacant. Wheeler approaches.
Speaker 4: You need it up at the barrack, Sir, We got a discipline problem.
Speaker 5: Something you can handle, sun You can't.
Speaker 4: You sit on your ass the rest of your life, sir, We need your commander.
Speaker 1: Cut to interior a company barracks night. Patterson walks into the dark and barracks. He fumbles for the light switch and flicks it on. Party streamers fly across the room. The barracks breaks into songs.
Speaker 12: There's nobody kN tonag Happy Memorial Day, Commander kid him very well celebrated without her hero.
Speaker 5: I'd forgot well, boys, okay, but no underage drinking.
Speaker 9: Got everything right here, sir. Party hats pin the tail and a donkey and coconut rum.
Speaker 5: Well, but not for the youngsters.
Speaker 1: Wheeler and Linquist re enter the barracks with a silver Martini shaker and a doctor pepper. They both are wearing sat and dinner jackets.
Speaker 4: Hate to taste, Commander. Besides, someone has to keep frosty.
Speaker 5: Hey, Commander, on the level, we'll be back next year.
Speaker 9: Well, thank you, Commanders, will afloat for next year.
Speaker 5: Well on a level, it don't look good. I just I don't know, Fellas. I'm sorry. I just have to hope and hang on to keep afloat. Don't know where that'll take us, but whatever it is, you boys will always make me proud.
Speaker 9: I'm sure you'll think of something.
Speaker 5: Commander, Well, who knows things have a way of changing in the blink of an eye.
Speaker 4: Were coming back, and I'll tell you this I'm going to be a captain and kick them.
Speaker 11: Sorry ass, Wheeler, lernt your song, sir?
Speaker 15: Have you heard of a ship called the Good Reuben James men by.
Speaker 1: Hard Patterson is visibly touched. The boys pass soft drinks, but lace them with contraband.
Speaker 15: Boots, stripes of the land of the Free, but tonight cheese in her grave at the bottom of the sea.
Speaker 4: Tell me what bro their names?
Speaker 15: Tell me?
Speaker 3: What were their names?
Speaker 15: Did you have a friend on the good Boob and James?
Speaker 3: What were their names?
Speaker 15: Tell me what was his name?
Speaker 4: Did you have a friend on the Good Boob and James? Will one hundred men went down in the dark watery grave?
Speaker 1: Crossfade to exterior ship night slouch on a ship deck, watching the horizon, a sliver of land ahead. Cross Fade to exterior parade field, Graduation day, montage, Damn Ron at the podium. The words duty, honor, and country weave through his speech, recall sounds, The boys march and review. Patterson and Faculty return their salute from the reviewing stand. The boys throw their hats in the air. Crossfade to exterior vents day. Wheeler and Linquist are standing at the cyclone fence talking with missus Lindquist. Wheeler is gesturing at length to the puzzled woman who might as well be in Iowa. Finally, Lindquist kisses her and the boys run off. Edison waits for them by the limo. Crossfade to exterior Bleachers Day. Aunt Selina sits alone in the bleachers. Left again, crossfade to exterior high Sally heads west on Root sixty six. Exterior Bay of pigs Day. Slow motion, gunfire, smoke, and chaos as a band of Cubans hit the beach. Bebop is hit as he steps on to the sand. He falls face first in the water. Blood colors the water as bombs explode. Slouch rushes to him. Slouch cradles the bleeding Bebop. A shadow stands over him, A heavily armed Cuban gestured toward the forest where other captured and wounded are being led. Exterior the school day. Leshinski is under the archway of the school. He turns around and looks up to the Eagle and the globe nearby. On the bench by the bus stop and Arico sits with a suitcase waiting for the j bus. Interior Patterson's hut Bay of pigs, fiasco, un condemns action. US pulls air support headlines the Miami Herald. The paper falls from Patterson's hands. He fights back, tears Exterior parade field dusk. The academy appears deserted, wind blows the palms. The camera leads us to exterior parade field dusk. Commander Patterson, US Navy, Retired takes a flag down and folds a try corner military fashion. He tucks it under his arm and walks down by the day by the bay. Fuck me, exterior parade field dusk. Commander Patterson, US Navy, Retired takes the flag down and folds a tri corner military fashion. He tucks it under his arm and walks down by the bay. Exterior boat dock dusk. Patterson sits on the bench under a palm tree, watching five Huey gunship helicopters flying low over the bay into the sun. Then the bench is empty. In the background, bulldozers begin plowing into a company barracks as we fade out. Dedicated to Stephen M. Leshinsky, Junior, Private first Class first Cavalry USARV Ground Casualty, kuang Nam Province, South Vietnam, nineteen forty five to nineteen sixty eight.
Speaker 5: The honor in forty years no government money. Forty years ago, Vietnam VET named Shad miyshad started a phone line. One rule, veterans answer the calls. No bureaucrats, no contractors, veterans. The National Veterans Foundation has done this since nineteen eighty five, twenty years before the government even had a crisis line. Now the VA is overwhelmed. They're sending overflow calls to the National Veterans Foundation, a small nonprofit doing part of their job without their budget. Twenty two veterans die by suicide every day. The National Veterans Foundation needs your help to keep answering the phone NVF dot org eight eight eight seven seven seven four four four three