Speaker 1: Welcome to Good Game with Sarah Spain, where we're putting on EyeBlack and finding a good recipe for seven layer dip. Because the NFL season is here. On today's show, we've got a very special group chat with some truly badass, truly game changing women. And because I'm still sipping honey deuces at the US Open, We're gonna skip all the business up top and jump right into the interview. We'll get you all caught up on the latest headlines tomorrow, but for now, something a little different. I talked to Tennessee Titans defensive quality control coach Lori Locus and Chicago Bears offensive assistant Jennifer King. The Tennessee Titans and the Chicago Bears aren't those NFL teams, you ask, well, dear slices, Yes, yes they are. The NFL season kicks off tonight and there's a full slate of games on Sunday. And while we know there aren't any women players in the NFL, yet, there are tons of women and girls playing tackle football and flag football, and there are more women coaches in the game than ever before. So even though this is a women's sports show, we thought this was worth bringing to you because I love talking to these ladies, and also because the game is changing. For years, when NFL and college football coaches were asked why there weren't any women on staff, the same excuses were always coming up. Women aren't interested, women don't want these jobs, women don't like football. Even if you wanted to hire a woman, how'd you find one that's qualified. Enter Sam Rappaport, my queen. She had answers to all of those questions. She's the secret sauce behind the leap from one woman breaking barriers as an interned linebackers coach in twenty fifteen to now fifteen women holding full time coaching positions in the NFL this year. It's a new league record and the most for any male professional sports league in the world. In twenty seventeen, Sam Rapaport launched the Women's Careers in Football Form, which helps connect women working in football, usually at the college level, with mentors and job opportunities in the NFL. As the NFL Senior Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusions, Sam knew that the forum would put qualified women ready to be hired right away, in the same room with the people actually doing the hiring the coaches and the gms, and it's worked. She created the pipeline that women needed to get access and get a shot, including Lourie and Jen. Laurie attended the inaugural event in twenty seventeen and then again in twenty eighteen when Jen was also invited to participate, and the rest, as they say, is history. On Sunday, Laurie and Jen's teams open up the season against each other, with the Titans traveling to play my Chicago Bears. So in addition to them talking about being pioneering badasses, we also had to make them engage in a little smack talk too. The whole conversation's coming up right after this. It's time for another group chat where we take the tea from the text and put it on the airwaves. Joining us now, she's a Super Bowl champion, now a defensive quality control coach for the Tennessee Titans of the NFL, Tennessee's first full time female coach in franchise history. She became the first female position coach in all of NFL history and the third female full time assistant coach ever, when she was hired by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as their assistant defensive line coach in twenty nineteen. As a player, she was a D lineman team captain and MVP for the Semi Pro Central PA Vipers. She got permission from Tom Brady to use public service announcement as a walk up song, It's Lori Locus. What's up? Coach Low?
Speaker 2: Hey Sarah, how are you? Nice to see you again? You too?
Speaker 1: Joining her, We've got an offensive assistant for my Chicago Bears, the first female coach in the Bears franchise one hundred and four year history, And when she was hired an assistant running backs coach for the Washington Commanders in twenty twenty one, she became the first black woman to be a full time NFL coach. A former two sport athlete in college, where she played basketball and softball, she went on to play in the Women's Football Alliance as a quarterback and wide receiver from six to twenty nineteen. She also coached women's basketball, worked as a flight attendant, and as a police officer. She's a cat with many lives, apparently, it's Jennifer King. What's up?
Speaker 2: Jennifer?
Speaker 3: Oh God? How are you? I mean?
Speaker 1: Not a lot just maybe potentially the greatest quarterback in all of Bear's history. But we'll get to that. I want to start with that football career. I just mentioned you were a long time semi pro women's football player. How did you get into playing, Jennifer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I always loved football growing up.
Speaker 4: Grew up in a little small football town, and when I graduated college, I was playing pick up every week with some ladies and they were on the team and I didn't even know it existed, so they invited me out and it was a rap from there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you were just sold. Laura. You were a little bit of a late arrival to playing football, which I love tell us about it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I had always been a fan of the game, and like Jennifer, when I was younger, I mean in the neighborhood, the pickup games and stuff like that. But the women's team in my area, which was Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, didn't really get there until I was almost forty, so that's when I started playing. So I had a little bit of a late jump into the game that we all loved.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it was great.
Speaker 1: I want to say that's a lesson to everyone that no matter how old you are you can get started and jump into football. But I also want to mentioned that you had four knee surgeries, a bone graph from your hip, a plate in, a cervical fusion in your neck, and one shoulder ripped out of place. So you can football at forty, but I'm not saying I recommend it. Laura, you mentioned that you always had a love of football, so you spent the first dozen or so years of your football career balancing a job insurance plus raising two sons, and then just taking any opportunity you could to coach. You interned or apprenticed with high school teams, with semi pro teams, and you did that at a time where there were really no women in notable positions that you could point to and tell your family this is what I'm working towards, this is what could happen if my hard work pays off. I want to start there quickly with why when you couldn't see something above those internships or apprentice gigs, was that enough for you or did you believe that eventually they would be there?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: So I don't know that I necessarily ever like looked, I don't everything to head enough or tried to find somebody to attach to.
Speaker 2: If that makes sense.
Speaker 5: I mean, I just I love football and getting the opportunities that I did, and making the relationships with the coaches that I still considered to be, you know, very instrumental in my path to where I'm at right now. I mean, it just kind of was very organic. So I never really set out to like be like you know, I got to go to this level and I got to that level. I mean, Jennifer said it like a thousand times. I totally agree. You know, I just wanted to be where I was, but I wanted to be as good as I could be where I was, and then that seemed to always lend itself to like another opportunity, and that just I mean it sounds like long winded, but I mean that was enough because I was learning, I was involved with coaching staffs that I really.
Speaker 2: Enjoyed being around, and.
Speaker 5: I got to coach football and like you said, at different levels. So you know, and I don't know Jennifer feels the same way, but you know, you are a fan of the game and you love the game of football from that aspect, and then you get an opportunity to play football and you kind of fall in love with it from a different angle, And then you know, I would have played longer had I not gotten all these injuries you categorized earlier. But then when you coach football, you fall in love with the game in a whole other way.
Speaker 2: So it just kind of kept growing.
Speaker 5: And I didn't force it, and I wasn't trying to like make big strides or make media splashes.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to coach.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, you didn't need to see something bigger in order to have what you were already doing be satisfying and valuable to you because you love the game so much. And yet you go to this NFL Women's Careers in Football forum in twenty seventeen, and that sort of changed everything for you. Can you tell us about that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, when you're doing, you know, things like this. Right when I was back in Pennsylvania, You're right, I didn't see any other women, and at times it could be isolating. So being able to go to that women's forum and now all of a sudden, you're in this room and there's like hundreds of women that are as actively involved in the game or loved the game, or are coaching in certain aspects and then you know, the forum that Jennifer and I got invited to, I think there were fifty women total, and only fifteen of us were in the coaching track, and that was from all over the country. So I mean, it's still nice to know that there were other women out there that were like you, that had maybe the same aspirations or experience. It just kind of validated the fact that this was something we didn't know what it was at the time, but it was something that we all really enjoyed, and the connections have lasted.
Speaker 2: Obviously.
Speaker 5: You'll have to ask Jennifer about what you remember me from the forum call.
Speaker 2: That called that. You know.
Speaker 1: I love what you said, though, because I found that when I joined espnW, one of the first meeting is I got dropped into a room full of women who were obsessed with sports, who had played college sports, and after working in predominantly rooms full of men, it just felt different to realize I wasn't alone. It wasn't like I wasn't willing to do it if it was just me and a bunch of guys, But there was something that was additive about being surrounded by women and realizing there were more of us. I'm not gonna let you off the hook, though, Jennifer, we didn't.
Speaker 3: It was crazy.
Speaker 4: So at that time when I attended, I was a head basketball coach. Johnson was university and Charlotte and the Panthers were right beside our facility as well, So coach Rivera was at the forum and me and Lowe was actually at a round table with him, but I was I was locked in. I had one mission and it was for him to know who I was when we were done. And because of that, I didn't even know she was at the table. I didn't see her.
Speaker 1: That sounds like when you do an interview and they're like, what's your biggest flaw? My biggest flaw is working too hard. My problem is I was too focused to notice there were other people in the room.
Speaker 2: I love.
Speaker 5: That's forward like a couple of years later and I had to tell her I was at that same time.
Speaker 4: She had just showed me the picture you were you were there.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's almost nothing worse than introducing yourself to someone having be like, oh we've met. Awesome, let's talk about it, though, Jennifer, twenty eighteen Forum, Ron Rivera reaches out to you as you joined the Panthers as a coaching intern for two off seasons and then added you to his staff in Washington as a full time assistant coach in twenty twenty. So tell me about getting your foot in the door via the forum and meeting coach Rivera and like, what's that moment? Because that forum is all fully vetted women who are ready to get into whatever position, whether that's training or coaching or whatever it is. So the coaches that are there that come from the NFL, the head coaches or the gms, they know that everyone in that room has already been interviewed and vetted and they're ready to go. But you still have to stand out. You still have to be the one in the room that they choose. How did you do that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, like Low talked about, you know, to be there in a room full of women who has the same.
Speaker 3: Goal as you was definitely special.
Speaker 4: And you know, like like I mentioned, I just had as folks, you know, on hearing the material, introducing myself to as many people as possible. And obviously I felt my best opportunity was coch Saveria just because of the proximity we had and you know, I literally lived right by the stadium right by their facility, so you know, they didn't have to put me up in hotel or anything.
Speaker 3: You could just give me an opportunity and I can come over.
Speaker 4: So that's really what I wanted to do, and obviously we hit it off. He saw something in me, and you know, my initial opportunity was for Ricky Minicamp, and he just kind of kept invite me back. So those two days at Ricky Minicamp turned into about four months being with the team, the first time working with the receiver group. So you know, as Low talked about it was how about being where your feet are?
Speaker 3: And that's one thing he told me early, and that's something that.
Speaker 4: I was locked in and focused on just bringing value to the team anywhere that I could.
Speaker 1: I think it's as bad as it sounds. Sometimes we do worry when we get into a space that's been historically all male. Are we a token? Are we something they're trying to put out there to show growth or to show progress? When you're coming in for two days and he's like, keep coming back, keep coming back for four months, Like that's proof there that there was something to prove and something that you had to do there in order for him to want to keep you around. You know, coach Love, We've talked about this before. You've shied away from talking to media too often. You don't want to be the woman who coaches. You want to be a coach, and you want them to see you as that first. But I do want to ask how that experience has been for you in balancing wanting to fit in and then also wanting to be a role model, an example, and understanding that the fact that you exist and you're doing what you do is opening a door for other women and girls to.
Speaker 2: See you right and that you know you're correct.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think that the biggest fear for a lot of us has been, you know, we don't want to appear to be in this for the wrong reasons. We don't want to have, you know, a broken focus among our colleagues, or have our colleagues looked at us like sideways, like it's just it's not the culture when you're within a staff. So I've been very fortunate over the last couple of years. I think Tampa did a nice job of balancing that out for me. And also here, you know, I know Rabe set the tone pretty early about you know, she's you know, here to do a job, and you know it wasn't going to be like a human interest story, like every time we turned around, like God forbid, like anybody asked me, you know, to say the story again.
Speaker 2: I think at nauseum people have heard the story.
Speaker 5: But you know, as you go forward, Like you said, I think that there is an importance of not necessarily being a role model, but being a possibility model. And I think that there's a distinct difference in that because I don't the role model to me says you've got to do everything that I've done in order to get where I'm at, And I wouldn't want anybody to do it like that, because everybody's past is going to be different and it's an individual process and the hard work has to go in.
Speaker 2: But seeing like where we're at right now, I.
Speaker 5: Think the media has a tendency to show just the end result as opposed to really highlighting, you know, the work or the past that we had to take to get here.
Speaker 2: So I want people to know, you know, young women, women.
Speaker 5: That were my age at the time that I did that hard pivot into this full time, that it's a possibility. But how you get there and what you do that has to be on you and your hard work and your ability to make connections, and like Jennifer said, like prove yourself if you get the opportunity to do it, and that way it's genuine and it's authentic, And then I think that's the best way that you have a chance to stick at this level, which is another goal. You know, once you're here, you want to stick and keep working.
Speaker 1: Jennifer, it's been a couple of years. How have you seen the environment being a woman in a male dominated space, being a woman specifically an NFL changed since you started?
Speaker 4: If it has, I mean for me, the opportunity has always been, you know, to work with a really great staff, and I think that makes everything. What's the culture like in the building, how's the staff. If the staff doesn't make a deal of it, it's.
Speaker 3: Not a big deal. It's just another coach.
Speaker 4: So I've been fortunate enough to only experience that the players have been great.
Speaker 3: They just want to be better.
Speaker 4: You know, they can care less where it's coming from if you can help them out. So I think, you know, that's one thing about the Bears, it's just to you can feel the coach and we walk into the building. And that's one thing I felt on my interview and knew that were somewhere where I wanted to be. But you know, it's been fantastic, and I think that's a testament to the guys that are already coaching in the league. The players who are already in this league. They didn't make a big deal about it. They don't make a big big deal about it now. So I think a lot of that involves them.
Speaker 1: Quickly. Can you tell me, Jennifer, what your just average day looks like?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Man, I do a little bit of everything.
Speaker 4: So I help out help our quality control guys with some breakdowns, so I'd also break down some things for oline coach. And then there's just preparing our guys each and every day with whatever's going in with our script, making sure they're they're good on.
Speaker 3: Everything that we're doing that day.
Speaker 4: And also skill development, which is very big, especially at this point in the year when we have individual time. You know, things that we need to work on them better, things that they want to work on to get them better, and they're just putting it all together. You know, it's almost time to hit the grass, you know, for real now. So it's a lot going on in very long days. Fortunate to be able to get out a little early today. But you know, we got the Titans on the horizon, so it's.
Speaker 3: A lot of folkus.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I forgot that we've got the two teams meeting in the opener. Okay, Laurie, want to talk about women's football and the NFL, because you've talked about how you actually distanced yourself from women's football early in your coaching career because you didn't want to get pigeonholed in the women's game. You wanted to make sure you weren't kept out of the men's because they saw you as a women's coach. But you've said now that you've assisted at women's camps and you understand the advantage that your past affords you, and you actually see some real differences in coaching men versus women. Can you tell us some of the different ways that men and women respond to the lessons and the drills?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: And I mean, again, this is like my perspective in my opinion, right, So you know, maybe not everybody shares this, but I feel like because women have not had an opportunity from a large population since to play the game, since we've been six years old, the whole way through high school, college and so on. There's a passion about the game that you have to have that sometimes is a little bit more genuine because it's like everybody's all in. You know, normally you're an adult right when you start to play wing's football, so like you just want to know everything. And I think again, in my experience, coaching women is such a good reminder and it's such a good sharpener of skills.
Speaker 2: I've encouraged a.
Speaker 5: Lot of my colleagues if they have a chance to do the same thing, because you really have to be a progressive teacher when you're coaching women because we don't necessarily have the football like you when we come in, like I said, from like our male counterparts, So you really have to break things down and you really have to be grand in your description.
Speaker 2: And another thing you know.
Speaker 5: Again from me that I've noticed is that women need to know why. So I can't just tell you got to hit the A gap. I have to explain why you need to hit the A gap. And I also have to explain to you what's going to happen if you don't because that data processing or that information inflow. That's usually the way that the players that I've worked with that are women have learned best breaking down the language, helping you know, kind of share concepts, but really being granular. And I think that that then translates to you being a better teacher or a better skill developer at the men's level, because now you're being able to explain things two or three different ways, because not everybody learns the same so you may not be able to give a concept and just let it go. You may have to go two degrees to the left and explain the same thing, or two degrees right and explain the same thing. And I think it just makes you a better teacher overall if you can be progressive and be more descriptive.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: And I think some might roll their eyes and say that sounds exhausting, but actually it's something that I think a lot of coaches are dealing with and accepting and learning from as their coaching younger athletes. Gen Z in particular, is like, no, I'm not just doing whatever you say. I'm going to ask you why are we doing it? I want buy in, I want to understand it, I want to be. I want to have agency in what I'm doing, and what coaches fine when they accept that is that they become a much stronger team. They get the most out of their players because they're not just mindlessly following. They're thinking through what they're doing and why, and then they're fully bought in and they're bringing their teammates with them, and so I love that that's a natural response for women, especially who are coming to the game later. I'm obsessed with Sam Rappaport. I would imagine that you both are too, because you owe a lot to her, senior director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion for the NFL. Maybe in this show or another one, I'll tell her story. But you know, shipping a football halfway across the world in order to get her job with the NFL first is a brilliant move. But she's responsible for so much of the progress that we've seen of women coaches in the NFL. She's the mastermind behind that women's careers in football for him I mentioned, but the pipeline for women coaches might get another gigantic boost in the form of flag football. There are so many more girls playing and playing at a high level, learning the game, loving the game, wanting to coach, wanting to play in the Olympics since that'll be an option. Twenty twenty eight, Jennifer, what do you think the growth of flag will mean for women in the NFL. It is not the same game, but it's football.
Speaker 3: I think it's huge.
Speaker 4: You know, Loo talked about, you know, most women not having an opportunity to be around football at a young age, but now they are, and I mean, I think it's exploding, like across the country, across the world, for women to get out and play football, for girls to get out and play football, and like you said, they're playing at such a high level. I was at a nationals tournament probably about five years ago, and I saw like a twelve year old quarterback launch a ball like thirty yards and the girl caught the ball over her shoulder and got her feet in as she's fallen out of bounds, and I was, I mean, I was shocked, And I mean, but it was really from that point like like you're going to be all right, Like they're so skilled already.
Speaker 3: I think it's gonna be crazy to see them de.
Speaker 1: Villa, Yeah, Laurie. In twenty twenty one, you went to the Girls Flag Football Preseason Classic, which was the largest girls flag football tournament in the country at the time. What was the scene like and what did it tell you about both the appetite for flag football as a sport for young girls, but also like what growth possibilities there were since then.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean extremely competitive, I would say, you know, without pads, it was the same level of intensity that we used to have when we took the field, and just the tenacity of the athletes to just be.
Speaker 2: Better than anyone else was. It was super impressive.
Speaker 5: I had never really been to like a flag tournament before, and I know that the BUCKS hosts that and that is you know, with Florida having it as varsity sport, that's their entire preseason for the high schools in that area of Florida for their season for the girls.
Speaker 2: So I think it's incredible.
Speaker 5: It also went to like a varsity game in Orlando and it's just the crowds. I mean, everybody was like it was just a regular game of football with the intensity with the girls, and I think that it's just, like Jen said, going to help grow the pipeline, grow the talent pool, and that's only going to be beneficial for all of us, because the coaching aspect of the pool seems to be shrinking a little, you know what I mean, Like there's just not as many as there are in scouting or ops or you know, other aspects of football, because it's not just what you see on the field. There's tons of jobs behind the scenes in any of the league branches or organizations. But yeah, I think this is going to help feed it in the right way and with the experience and the love of the game for.
Speaker 2: Anybody coming in.
Speaker 1: You're so true. Beyond coaching, just being a part of the game and involved in any way makes women feel comfortable being able to go and take other jobs that are surrounding the sport is well. Is there any part of either of you that resents that flag football is what's getting the resources. It's not the same game as women's tackle. Is that just an inevitability due to health and safety and the way we view the game moving forward, that it might be easier to sell to young girls and to women as a game of flag as opposed to full tackle.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think ultimately it's going to help the tackle game as well as those the girls that started playing flag, you know, grow into of age and may want to play tackle.
Speaker 1: You know, I talked to hitting age.
Speaker 3: I had.
Speaker 4: A girl come to training camp. She's about to be a freshman in college. She's this flag star. I looked her up. She's a beast, but she's going to college now and she wants to start playing tackles. So, you know, I connected her with the local team, and I think we're going to start seeing more and more of that. And the women's leeds are doing a great job. I mean they're growing, you know, you know every year they get new sponsorships and you no more exposure. So I think it's going to be better for everyone as the black game girls.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and we have a lot of like guys here that don't let their sons play tackle anymore, you know, being younger, so that it's not just the girls that are playing flag when they're younger, it's also you know, the boys too. And I think, like you said, maybe for a safety reason, maybe to see whether or not it's something they want to transition to.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I think once you.
Speaker 5: Get to a point where maybe it's just it's not it's not enough to hit somebody, then you.
Speaker 1: Know that's how I felt in every sport I played. I'm like, could we add tackling? We tackling dock? What about? Okay you too, We gotta take a quick break. But plenty more from jenn and Laurie right after this. Okay, ladies, I literally could talk to you all night because I need you all to talk a little shit right now. Oh lo, Well, Jennifer, what your team's going to do to hers? In the opener?
Speaker 2: I don't need to tell her. We'll just show her.
Speaker 1: Okay, Jennifer, you got a four no preseason record. We know that doesn't mean shit, but let's pretend it does. Talk a little shit, Helo.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, we get ready, We get prepared, so you know, I know we're gonna come out and do a great job.
Speaker 3: I'm sure they're gonna try.
Speaker 4: To welcome Kleb to the NFL every opportunity they get.
Speaker 3: But uh, you know, I think I think we'll be ready to roll.
Speaker 1: I'm excited the humility of somebody knows that talent is on her side, someone who knows she doesn't have to say anything, she'll just show up and prove it. Oh man, I can't wait. Okay before I let you go. We have to do the one thing that everybody does and nobody has prepared for. It's fight me. I said what I said, So you know what, fight me. I get to ask you a question. You're gonna give me your top four. We're gonna put it on the internet and people are gonna fight you because they're gonna have different choices. Okay, top four female athletes that you would like to see play women's tackle football, the four that you think would dominate. I'm gonna give you my to give you a second to think, because I didn't prep you for this. I'm gonna go with Kelsey Plum. We've seen the clip of Kelsey Plum launching a T shirt into the crowd like eight billion times. She's got an arm. That's my QB. Colia Copper. I don't know anything about her as a football player, but wheels, quick, moving feet, hands, grit. She's a dog. Okay. Alona mar Our, new rugby super queen from the Olympics. She's gonna beat some ass. Okay, she already has a lot of the fundamentals. She's ready to go. I don't know why I keep picking basketball players. I guess I just have a suck in my head. But Alyssa Peely like she got a body. She's strong, but she's fast, she's like mobile, but she could also hit some people.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 1: I remember she played football for a bit, so you know, there's a lot of names dancing in my head. I don't know how I didn't pick Trinity Rodman. I just picked Trinity Rodman for pretty much every category at this point because I think she would dominate it anything. But yeah, any women's sport of any kind, you can even pick previous from different generations.
Speaker 3: Jennifer who got bon Dett first.
Speaker 4: Okay, so my mind like instantly went the track when you when you said that.
Speaker 1: So like see.
Speaker 4: Like Jackie join a Kursey playing wide out on somebody. You know, I think that's a problem. And then I also thought about Kennedy Carter, oh, cause she a dog, and I think she would be a problem.
Speaker 1: I don't know what happens when you progress from dog into something else, but that's what.
Speaker 3: She has, an absolute problem.
Speaker 4: I was trying to think of people with more size to maybe you know, like a tight end tight role. But then my mom went to DT, like to ROSSI like, can you better her playing quarterback, Like the field general.
Speaker 1: Your team is all gonna get a jacted.
Speaker 4: So I went to DT to run the one for me. She had to play quarters. And then you know, I don't know this lady's name, but I saw her in the Olympics throwing the raven.
Speaker 1: Yes, Chot put her with the mass.
Speaker 4: Can you imagine her on the line, like what she would do? She would don't want to move bodies. So that's that's my four.
Speaker 1: God, really good.
Speaker 5: Off the top of your head, it is really good. Thanks for like putting the pressure on. I'm going with uh.
Speaker 2: I am going with the rugby.
Speaker 1: Okay, Alana Mari yep.
Speaker 2: Yes, And I would go with Raven because you know, like.
Speaker 1: She she did go last, so that's you know, a deficit. But give names for the other two.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would say, uh. I would go with Nancy Lieberman.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, because she's really good.
Speaker 5: You know, I feel like she could lead and I feel like she would like put it down.
Speaker 2: Yep. Yeah, let's see. You kind of went with like a returner. What about Alison Felix?
Speaker 1: No, you can't know, you can't.
Speaker 2: I was trying to think of tight ends and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know you're a line. Lady, you want some size on your team, but I like your squad. I like all our squads. I would like us to put this together. Can we get a charity game going? Can we get like all these ladies in a charity game?
Speaker 5: And I'll call you on like any of the Black Fern Yeah rug team, any and all that would be my other defensive pick.
Speaker 1: Gosh, this would be fun, Ladies. It's been so fun to talk to you. I can't wait for the NFL season. I can't wait for my Bears to beat that ass, Laurie. But I love you still, and thank you so much for giving us some time, and thank you for setting such an incredible example and changing the game. It's been fun to watch. Thanks again so much to Laurie and Jen for taking the time. I know they're super busy with the season getting going. And also again, bear down, sorry about that fat all you're going to take out Sunday, LORI still love you. Oh and one last thing. We recorded this before the Nancy Lieberman headlines of late So stay out of Laurie's men. She's on that one. Okay, cool, got to take another break stick around.
Speaker 2: You're back.
Speaker 1: We're back. We're all here together, and we love that you're listening. But we want you to get in the game every day too. So here's our good gameplay of the day. It's a really good one, and it's a really easy one. You're gonna thank me. Make my favorite tailgating recipe and blow the mindholes of all of your friends and family. It's only for ingredients. None of them are good for you, and it's so so good. Here's how you do it. You just google hot onion dip and click on the allrecipes dot Com one, or we'll link to it on our show notes. And if you don't know what I mean when I say show notes most podcast apps, you just scroll down in the episode, like when you're already in the current episode. Just scroll and you'll see all the links to all the stuff we talk about. Shout out to the producers on that one. But yeah, you'll find it in the show notes or allrecipes dot Com. It's easy, it's delicious, it's amazing. It's truly a tailgate game changer. Just be sure to serve it with free doos scoops. The big ones, the little ones aren't strong enough. The big FreeDOS scoops. This is not an ad for FreeDOS. We would do one so Fredo's. If you're out there, hit us up. You're welcome for that. Seriously, make it. Seriously, you're gonna be like, what the hell is hot onion dip? What are these ingredients? What am I making? Just shut up and make it. It's so good. Also, we'd love to hear from you, especially if you make it and it turns out great. I'll give myself a pat on the back from making your family happy. Hit me up on email good game at Wondermedia network dot com or leave us a voicemail at eight seven two two four fifty seventy, and don't forget to subscribe, rate and review. It's so easy watch Hope five out of five stars. Hope is all we got in sports. It allows us to enjoy the start of every season, even though statistically it's almost never gonna end in a win. There's all kinds of hope. There's hope that your WNBA team will squeak into the playoffs, Hope that your NWSL team will build a new stadium closer to the city. There's even hope in your NFL team's new quarterbacks somehow avoiding being the latest in a long line of busts. Those are all just generic examples. Obviously, Ted Lasso said, it's the hope that kills you, but I say you gotta believe. Now it's your turn, rate and review. Thanks for listening, slices, See you tomorrow. Good game, Lorie, Good game, Jen. You to the folks not hiring women using the dumb old excuses that lady folks aren't interested in certain things or don't want certain jobs. Good Game with Sarah Spain is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. You can find us on the iHeartRadio apps, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Production by Wonder Media Network, our producers are Alex Bazzi and Nisha Jones. Our executive producers are Christina Everett, Jesse Katz, Jenny Kaplan, and Emily Rudder. Our editors are Jenny Kaplan, Emily Rudder, Breddy Martinez and Grace Fwitch. Production assistants from Lucy Jones and I'm Your Host Sarah Spain