Speaker 1: Is this a great game or what another podcast? Tim and Jeff Kirkshin thank you so much for joining us. And we are recording this episode from Citizens Bank Park.
Speaker 2: So if you hear music or you hear.
Speaker 1: Background noise, we are at the ballpark. Lou garreg Day twenty twenty four, we did a live stream show here on all of our social media's they still live there, so if you want to go see it on YouTube, Facebook, or Twitter, please.
Speaker 3: Go and do so.
Speaker 1: And lou Garrig Day has been such a great day because we're raising awareness for als and we talked to some incredible people.
Speaker 2: Right it was really important today Today. We spoke to Sam Hillier today who talked about his father who died in twenty twenty one. We talked to Aaron Nola the Phillies who lost his uncle in twenty twenty one. We talked to Mike Piscotti who lost his wife in twenty eighteen, and we talked to Brandon Crawford, who's so close to the Piscatti family. And at the end of this episode, instead of having one long interview with one person, we're going to take the best of the interviews that we did today, all of it ALS related and it was just a wonderful day at the ballpark. And I really have to thank the Phillies because pregame they mentioned and honored my brother Matt. And that's ultimately, Jeff, why you and I are doing this. We lost Uncle Matt to ALS in September of twenty three, so it's been a really important, really emotional, really powerful day. But it was beautiful.
Speaker 1: Also during the live stream, we replayed the great interviews from Sarah Langs, who is an amazing mind in baseball, a statistician, and she is battling ALS. That's in our last episode of this podcast, a bonus episode that was released on Friday. And Boog Shambi, who has dedicated so much of his time in honor of his best friend Tim Sheehe, who passed away from ALS through the organization Project main Street. So if you want to go back and listen to those, you can. We've got a lot of great coming up. But let's talk while we're here for lu Geig Day. Let's talk about lou Gaig the player.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's the greatest first baseman of all time. Jeff, I'm not sure there's even a close second. If he hadn't gotten sick. Remember he died at age thirty seven. If he hadn't gotten sick, he would have retired as the all time RBI and run scored leader. He won an M two MVPs. He won a Triple Crown. He hit for the cycle twice Jeff four times. He had a two hundred hit forty homer season. The only active player who's ever done that even once is Ronald Lucuna last year. Of the top six RBI seasons in baseball history, he has three of them. He had more RBIs than games played five different times. He's the first American league player ever to hit four homers in a game, and they came consecutively. He hit twenty three grand slams, which was the major league record un till Alex Rodriguez broke it. He stole home fifteen times. But more important than any of this, Jeb is that he was the captain of the Yankees because he showed all of them this is how you play the game. Nobody personified the game being played more properly than Lou Garrett, and mainly because of his toughness and his durability. He played in two thousand one hundred and thirty consecutive games, which is unbelievable, and he was all about winning. The only player in Major League history that ever hit four hundred homers and his winning percentage in games he played was over six hundred was Lou Garrett four hundred and ninety three homers and a career winning percentage of six seventeen and one of the great nicknames ever, the Iron Horse that sums up everything we need to know about Lou Garrett.
Speaker 1: You can go to Great Game or what dot com to see all the resources we've talked about for ALS awareness and Luke Gerrig Day, And once again a big shout out to the Phillies for helping us do the show, the live stream from there and this show as well. But we have a podcast loaded up takeaways from this week.
Speaker 2: In Major League Baseball. Well, given it's lou Gerrig Day that we're still talking about, you have to go to Aaron Judge first because he's doing stuff that Lou Garrig did back in the thirties. So Judge had twenty six extra base hits in May. The only Yanchores ever to have more in any month was Joe Demaggio nineteen thirty seven and lou Gerrig of course, in nineteen thirty Aaron Judge had fourteen homers and twelve doubles in the month of May. The only player ever that has had fourteen homers and twelve doubles in any month was Albert Bell in nineteen ninety five. And going into Sunday, Judge had fifteen homers in his last twenty five games. And the lesson here, Jeffs. You know how many times he got asked in April, what's wrong with him? Is he ever going to come out of this slump? And then he has one of the best months we've ever seen. He will be the player of the month for May.
Speaker 1: I just want to add it was like right after his first career ejection, at this kind of do.
Speaker 3: You think there's maybe something subconscious or just beautiful?
Speaker 2: No, it's the beauty of baseball. It happens all the time, all right. He was the hottest player in baseball in the month of May. There were others who were close. Corey Seeger had an amazing month also. He went into Sunday with a fourteen game hitting streak, and he had eight homers in eight games. And with all the great shortstops we have. I still think he's the best shortstop in baseball, even though there are younger, maybe even more athletic guys. But Corey Seeger is amazing. And speaking of amazing, Luis Arrives, We've talked about him multiple times. He joins the Padres. He had four four hit games in the month of May. Even Tony Gwinn never had four four hit games in any month, and Tony Gwynn is mister Podre and should be. That's how good Luisa Rise has been. So he's now got eighteen four hit games in his career. Now, I know Reggie Jackson was a different player as a slugger. He struck out all the time. But Reggie had fifteen four hit games in his career. Arise he has eighteen. He's already got more than Carlton Fisk and Sammy Sosa and a bunch of other really good players. And by the way, Christian Yelich of the Brewers had his fifth five hit game last week. Wow. So, Edgar Martinez one of the greatest hitters I've ever seen, he never had a five hit game. Christian Yelich already has five of them. That amazes me. And the last thing I take away, and this is a dear to my heart, Jeff, we had two pitchers, Ranger Suarez, your wife Emily's favorite player, and Kevin Ginkle both got hit by line drives and had to come out of the game. I just want everyone to understand how dangerous this game is to play. And if anyone ever actually threw a pitch in a major league game and watched the ball whistle by them, they would never throw another pitch in a major league game for any reason. It is that dangerous. So every time I see a pitcher get hit with a line drive, reminds me of my favorite story that I've ever written in my life, The Fear of the Ball story. The hitters fear, the fielders fear fear, but the pitcher's fear also because that ball gets back.
Speaker 1: To you faster than you can throw it in and jokes aside, that's part of the reason why I couldn't keep playing the game. And honestly, the fear of the ball it runs, whether your kids in or in Major League baseball, it's a It's a real thing. I mean, look at Bryce Harper. Just the other day a ball got thrown kind of he said, I just didn't want to get in the face.
Speaker 3: Nothing's worse than getting hit in the face.
Speaker 2: Well, what right, And he's one of the toughest guys to play the game, right. But the difference is if Bryce Harper did get hit in the face, he would sit out and then he would come back and he would be great, where every other human being would say no, no, no, I'm not doing that anymore. So, So, Jeff, the game Changer of the Week is quite literally a game changer because we finally found a way to take the Negro league stats and incorporate them into the major league stats. This was a three year process. It was a seventeen person committee led by John Thorn, my friend who's the baseball historian for Major League Baseball. Nobody, and I mean nobody understands the history of the game better than John Thorn, and I had to chat with him about this. And what makes this all work is this was done accurately, Meaning if they looked at something and go, well, we can't tell if that's a double or a triple, or a walk or a strikeout, then they're not using it. They're only using what they could prove. And all those geniuses. And I mean this in the nicest way. At Seamheads and Retro Sheet and the Elive Sports Bureau, they put all those numbers together and now they matter. So now Josh Gibson is the all time batting average leader, ahead of Taycob at three seventy two. Josh Gibson now has a higher OPS than Babe Ruth, a higher slugging percentage career than Babe Ruth. And look, I'm okay with this because the Negro leagues has been left behind in so many ways, and now it really means something so much more. Now we know really how great Josh Gibson was. Not to mention so many others because we were able to prove it statistically.
Speaker 1: You know, I just have to say, because when that announcement came out and it went across social media, I saw one comment and I don't even know the guy, but he just wrote, well should my little league stats be put in there?
Speaker 2: Too?
Speaker 1: And I'm here to tell you, Mike or whatever your name was, you weren't good enough to play major league baseball. These guys in the Negro leagues, most of them, a lot of them, were good enough to play major league baseball.
Speaker 3: But they weren't allowed to.
Speaker 1: That's the difference, right, your stats from your eleven year old you game, They're not going to be put in there because you're not good enough to play major league baseball.
Speaker 2: And I step off by So people will say negro league players didn't play against major league players. Well, of course there's a flip side of that. Major league players didn't play against me legally. I am totally okay with this. And now when you ask me who's the greatest catcher of all time, it's always been Johnny Bench. I may have to go to Josh Gibson now that we've proved a bunch of things statistically.
Speaker 1: Truly is a game changer for the stats of the history of Major League baseball. You got any quirk gins for us this way?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is why cork gins are so much fun to do. There's a guy named Jeremiah Estrada who pitches for the Podres. He's only twenty five years old. He's got a bright future, but he's banged around a little bit here and there, moved around. He recently struck out thirteen batters in a row. That is a major league record. Now again, he did it over three relief appearances, which is a little bit easier to pitch an inning here, another inning here, and then two innings here. But he still struck out thirteen consecutive batters. Now, what the beauty of baseball is that every great NBA record, you know how much I love basketball is held by Will Chamberlain, or Michael Jordan, Lebron James, and Steph Curry. Not so that maybe you haven't even heard of did something that Will Chamberlin never did. But Jeremiah Estrada did something that no one has ever done in baseball history. Although I must say Tom sever in his nineteen strikeout game, Hall of Famer Tom Seaver, he struck out ten in a row. He's a starting pitcher. He struck out the last ten batters of the game. Now, with all due respect, that's slightly more impressive to strike out the last ten of a complete game.
Speaker 1: Then he struck out every batter in the seventh, eighth, and ninth inning after pitching how many pitches he would think it would start that way?
Speaker 2: That was Tom sever all right. The Cardinals made an error. Defense is so good these days. Cardinals made an error in twelve straight games the last team to go twelve in a row, or the A's in twenty fifteen, they made an error in fifteen games in a row. Speaking of strikeouts, Paul skeens, who's going to be on the show every week because he's been on every week since the day he came up. He struck out nine batters on his twenty second birthday, so we looked this stuff up. So he has the most strikeouts on his birthday of any picture in the history of the Pirates and he's only made four starts in his life for the Pirates. He's also the youngest player ever to strike out nine batters on his birthday. The Elias helped me with that, as they should have also, Jeff, I'm amazed when anyone gets a hit anymore. The other day we had three pitchers taken no hitter into the sixth inning. Three so I looked up the last time three pitchers have taken a no hitter into the sixth inning on the same day. It's happened two other times this year. This is where we are now, Jeff. The pitching we see on a daily basis is absolutely breathtaking. The stuff is virtually unhittable. It's why the league's hitting two forty three guys took a no hitter into the sixth inning, and it's happened two other times this year. Shoe Hee Otani stole his base, very round number. So I looked up the most stolen bases in a career for a pitcher, and now, granted, not all one hundred came as a pitcher, because it's the DH now and he was a D. He stole most of them as a D eight not the point wild Bill Donovan since nineteen hundred has the most deals ever for a pitcher career with thirty four. The only players who have ever made fifty starts in their careers and stolen one hundred bases or someone named Joe Rogan didn't know that? Is that a talk show name?
Speaker 4: Joe?
Speaker 1: Yeah, this podcast is just a little bit bigger than ours, only a little bit.
Speaker 2: So it's Joe Rogan, it is sho Hey Otani, and of course it's Babe Ruth. Babe Ruth stole one hundred and twenty three bases. So if I hear one more time that he was some big, fat, unathletic guy, I'm gonna scream, because Babe Ruth could run one hundred and thirty six triples, one hundred and twenty three stolen bases, and the last thing, Jeff, and again, I just love names in the box score. As you know, the Blue Jays have really really struggled scoring runs this year, and the last two pictures they used the other day in an eight to one loss to the Pirates was little pop, so little pop or the last two guys. And that's unfortunately where the Blue Jays are right now. They have very little pop.
Speaker 1: I just want to thank all of our great, great entries for qurictions at Great Game or what dot com.
Speaker 3: People send them all the time.
Speaker 1: But I have to apologize because we are on location as you might be able to hear a little different. I don't have my list, so I'm gonna gather you have my word to everybody who sends those questions, and I'm gonna gather some of the best ones for next week's episode, because I feel like some people hear the quotions to say, maybe they're gonna read mine right as we've read them in the past.
Speaker 2: I encourage people to send it in. I love these things. It's what separates baseball from the other sports.
Speaker 3: Great Game or what dot com.
Speaker 1: You can scroll down there's an entry form, or you can always hit us up on social media. Our social media manager Madi Away, he sends us over to me as well, great game or what wherever.
Speaker 3: You do social media.
Speaker 2: So this date in baseball history Jeff again a regular feature on our podcast. Nineteen sixty four. Sandy Kofax through his third of what would be four no hitters. I want to ask Frank Robinson, one of my dear, dear friends. I asked him. I said, how'd you do against Bob Gibson? And Frank said, oh, I hit him good. I said, how'd you do against Juan Marisha? Oh I hit him good. I said how'd you do against Don drysdaleas oh I hit him good. I said how'd you do against Sandy Kofax? And he went, oh, nobody could hit that man. That's when I knew how great Sandy Kofax was also happy sixty seventh birthday today to Tony Payne, former catcher and Tony Payne was a really good player and a really good defensive catcher. But he holds the distinction of the most games caught in Major League history nineteen hundred and fifty without ever catching a no hitter. You know, Jeff Torborg is caught four, I think, and there are other guys who caught multiple no hitter three four no hitters, Tony Payne in nineteen hundred and fifty and never calling. Darren Erstat is his fiftieth birthday today. Darren Erstaut of the Angels had two hundred and forty hits in the year two thousand. He was also a punter at the University of Nebraska. So I went to him once and I was doing something on football players and who played baseball, and I said, well, you and Kirk Gibson, all right. Kirk Gibson, of course, was wide receiver All American at Michigan State. And Darren Erstat yelled at me, don't you ever compare me to Kirk Gibson. That guy was an All American wide receiver. I was a punter. And to me that was just beautiful, how much respect he had for someone who got hit on every single play like Kirk Gibson did. And last thing a sad thing. But Don Zimmer, my dear friend Don Zimmer, former Major leaguer, former Major league manager, coach, and a guy that taught me so much about the game. He died ten years ago today, and Zim had one of the great moments, one of the great epiphanies in my life. I was covering the eighty two Rangers. I'm like fourteen years old. I don't even know what I'm doing yet, but I love baseball and it's all I've ever wanted to do. But the Rangers, managed by Don Zimmer, were awful. So I stagger into his office in the middle of May. The team had lost ten games in a row, and Zim looks at me and he goes, what's wrong with you? I said, Zim, Well, I gotta tell you I'm not having as much fun covering this team as I thought I would. And he looks at me and he goes, I quit complaining, and I'm quoting here. He says, look at you. You're young, you're good looking, you got your whole life in front of you. He said, look at me. I'm old, I'm fat, I'm bald, I'm ugly. You got a plate in my head and I've got this team to manage. I'm the one with all the worries. You should be feel fortunate every day of your life that you are covering major League Baseball. And from that moment on, even though I thoroughly appreciated where I was before, then when Zim yelled at me and said quit complaining and cover the sport, that was a real turnaround for me.
Speaker 3: What year was at age? You said, eighty two?
Speaker 2: Eighty two.
Speaker 1: So fast forward twenty two years later I met Don Zimmer. You remember you remember the story of course at Park my first ever time seeing the Boston Red Sox.
Speaker 3: It was two thousand and.
Speaker 1: Four and he was was he managing the race, He was a co coach of the race. And we walked by the dugout and I had the opportunity to say, playball on the field. It was the coolest thing as a little eleven year old on my birthday.
Speaker 3: And there's a photo.
Speaker 2: I have it at home.
Speaker 1: I have it at home too, and you are I can hear your laughter in a photo because he has his hat off and he's probably making a joke about his head and his head made it into a title of your book, right right right.
Speaker 2: They put his head on a quarter. It was called a zim headcore. So instead of being like like a president, it adds Zibb's head on there. It was just it was just prices. We love him.
Speaker 1: Here we go, it's in the cards. We're going to open up a pat. Well, we didn't open it this time because we're on location. We're on location, all right, First card here, Chicago Cubs.
Speaker 2: Who we got that. That's Nico Horner. Really smart guy, baseball IQ off the charts with Brian Butterfield was a coach there with the Cubs. He whispered to me one day, he said, I think they're going to fire me after the season, but he said, and I won't be happy about that, but I will be happy to know that I worked with Nico Horner of the Cubs. That's how much an influence a young player on he made on him because of his understanding of how to play the game. We have guys who overpower the sports jet with their physical gifts. That kid can do that, but he also really knows how to play.
Speaker 3: Here's Jordan Romano of the Toronto Blue Jays.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: So, Jordan Romano is Canadian. So I always call him Jordan Romano because that's how we would say it in our country. But in Canada they pronounced Jordan Romano, so he pronounces his name Jordan Romano and everyone who does the team broadcasters call him Jordan Romano because he said, that's how you pronounce my name. So I'm gonna call him Jordan Romano from now on me too.
Speaker 1: I mean I was a little nervous. I was pronouncing it wrong in the first place. Here we go, next step for the Detroit Tiger Tigers. Eduardo Rodriguez, right, well, that's an old baseball card.
Speaker 2: He is now with the Diamondbacks. He is injured, he's coming back. I'll never forget the story that Alex Cora told me when and when e Rod as they call him, was on the Red Sox and they had a great thing going in twenty eighteen. They won the World Series that year, and they're getting towards the end of spring training they're going to open on the road, and Eduardo Rodriguez says, I want to take the whole team out for dinner, everyone like, including clubhouse kids, everyone. That's how much team building meant to him. Then he got the bill and Alex Cora had to step in and say, look, Rod, I know you want to pay for this whole thing, but you could pay for some, but you're not doing all of it. That was a great team building thing by Ira.
Speaker 1: You know, I worked for the Frederick Keyes, the then Class A Low A team for the Baltimore Orioles, and he was on the team the summer.
Speaker 2: I covered him, right, And that's those were the years that you were like running as what a sausage or a sauce packet.
Speaker 1: Pack You were the sausages. I was the Taco Bell mild sauce packet. That this is what we debase ourselves. That's kirkcheins for Okay, so we've got we've got a Boog here, not our buddy Boog is Boog Powell, right, we got Boo Boog's on the show.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 2: Boog Powell is one of my favorite players growing up watching him. He won the MVP in nineteen seventy in the American League. Earl Weaver told me that Boog weighed three hundred pounds the year he won the MVP. Boog was an enormous man. But for as big as he was, he had great hands and great feet. And of course he runs Boog's Barbecue right now at Camden Yards. It's the greatest barbecue in the American League. And I was always told that after games Boog would go back to his house in Baltimore playing for the Orioles, and he would fire up the grill at one o'clock in the morning and go out there and grill steaks and chicken and hamburger is a drink beer until like four o'clock in the morning, and people would come over and join him. The first basement for.
Speaker 1: The Orioles, that's amazing. And last but not LEAs Heraldo Perdomo.
Speaker 2: He's the shortstop for the Diamondbacks who made it to the World Series last year, and he hit ninth in the order, and not many people know how good a player is, but Tory Lavello, their manager, told me this year, we funneled everything, all the signs, everything we do defensively through Horado Perdomo. So when you look at the struggles they've had this year and you say, how can they miss their nine hitter that much? Not only was he a really good nine hitter, but he ran the infield and that is incredibly important on a major league team.
Speaker 1: So it's in the cards now. We actually go through all of the cards live on the show. Oh, meaning like you can actually see them now. I know, if you're listening to the podcast, then you can't see but if you go onto YouTube then you most definitely can see them. Now today our show is being recorded from Citizens Bank Park, which is so cool. But you texted me on your way to the park saying, Jeff, I've got a team I want to put together for the best of all tim This team is all of the greatest number fours in celebration of the greatest number four, Lou Garet, right, because once you get.
Speaker 2: You know, I know every from one to fifty five, I know the greatest player of all time for each uniform number, at least in my opinion, I call it from Ozzy like Ozzie Smith to Oral Oral Herscheizer one to fifty five. So you get to four and you just give up because it's Lou Garrett. There is no close second. So that's the end of the competition. But I knew there were a bunch of guys who wore number four who aren't on the list, so I made up a team.
Speaker 3: Well, I just have one question.
Speaker 1: As a man who's been married just over two years, my wife will get mad at me because I remember the the iron shot I had on the seventh hole, but I forgot to take out the trash. Does my mom, your wife ever get mad that you remember these things? But sometimes she slip up as a as a partner and a husband.
Speaker 2: Does she ever get mad? Is what you're asking me. But married forty years, we go to a party and I come home and I've had the most ridiculously pointless conversation with half the people there, and then she says, uh, what'd you think of the chandelier in the living room? You know? And I don't even remember what the living room looks like, let alone the chandelier. So yes, it's selective retention, Jeff. You retain what you're interested in. And I'm interested in uniform numbers and I always have been.
Speaker 1: Or the best thing is is mom will be like, how's how's his mom doing? Talking about the person you talk to for an hour. Oh we didn't ask how's his wife?
Speaker 2: We don't know. We just talked about the eighty six orioles or what right. Unfortunately for men, that's how it works. All right, Oh, let's go to your list. So Yati or Maline is the catcher, he's going to be a future Hall of Fame or wearing number four. Luke Gerreic is the greatest number four of all time. Bobby Gritch is the best second BA baseman for me, he's a borderline Hall of Famer. If you asked me should he be in, the answer would be yes. Paul Molitor, who began his career as a third baseman, he's my third baseman. And to leave Carney Lanceford out, Believe me, that was not easy. I had to put two shortstops on because I couldn't pick between Joe Cronin and Luke Applin because they're both Hall of famers. The entire outfield are Hall of famers wearing number four, Melott, Duke Snyder, and Ralph Kiner, and it's really hard to find a number four who pitched. Okay, Kyle Drebek pitched for four years wearing number four, but he wasn't great. Blake Snell won two Cy Young Awards wearing number four. And my favorite part because I had come up with the team, but I said, well, I need a manager of what's the first thing in came to my Earl Weaver, my favorite manager of all time ward number four. So now I've got an entire lineup and a manager to wear. Lou Garrick's number League in lid's.
Speaker 1: We put all the major League Baseball teams in a lid here and it.
Speaker 3: Has every major league team on it.
Speaker 2: Very cool is And today the New York Mets, oh boy, bad bad timing. The poor Mets. They lost four games in May that they led into the ninth inning, four in one month. Most teams won't lose four of those in one year. They did in one month. That's why they're in a lot of trouble. But the good thing happened is on Saturday they retired Darryl Strawberry's number eighteen. And even though Darryl Strawberry got himself in his own trouble, he should be in the Hall of Fame. He was an amazing player, especially as a young player, and he definitely belongs in the New York Mets Hall of Fame. He won four rings as a baseball player. One of the greatest power hitters I've ever seen. It's still amazing me though after all these years, Jeff, the Mets have never had an MVP. In all their years nineteen sixty two on, they've never had a player win the MVP, and Strawberry probably should have came really close a couple times to win, but even he didn't.
Speaker 1: So in a minute, you're gonna hear some of the best moments of our interviews from our Lou Garrig Day live stream, because we wanted to make sure if you're listening on the podcast, you didn't have a chance to catch the stream. It's still living on our social media you can check it, but we wanted you to get it.
Speaker 3: On the podcast feed as well.
Speaker 1: But before we get to those best moments, and there were quite a few incredible ones, I want another story from you about Uncle Matt.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm going to try to do this without weeping. But Uncle Matt was a great college baseball player and in twenty twenty one he was diagnosed with ALS, and in October that year, he was asked by Ross Natoli, the baseball coach at Catholic University, to throw out the first pitch at the only fall date of the season, a doubleheader at Mount Saint Mary's. The Matt, because of his als, could barely grip a baseball, but he relearned how to throw a baseball and he went out there that day and before he went to the mound, they gave him a Catholic University jersey with M. Kirchin two his number on the back, and he went to the mound and threw an athletic strike. He turned to his right and his immediate family to children others. We were all wearing M. Kirkchin two jerseys. And then he looked further to his right and all forty seven players on the Catholic University team or wearing M. Kirkchin jerseys with number two on the back. And of course they went out there and swept a double header that day. Later on that year, I threw out the first ball at a Nationals game, and Matt, who could barely put a glove on his hand, somehow figured out how to do that because his hand no longer work, and he caught the first pitch from me. It was just unbelievable how an als patient could do that. And because of all of this, Catholic University, led by Ross Natoli, named an award, the Matt Kirchin Ultimate Teammate Award after my brother, and that hangs in our house and it hangs at Catholic University. And this is the kicker to it all. Joe at York Pennsylvania this year, Kathy Ugh is in a playoff game, and it's a really big game, and they're down seven to nothing, they're down eight to three, they're down nine to six in the bottom of the ninth inna and they come back to win the game. And the two biggest stars, the first one was Zach Burton, who is the first winner of the Matt Kirchin Ultimate Teammate Award. He was the first hero. The second hero was Justin McCarthy who drove in two runs to win the game. And Justin McCarthy wore number two, my brother's number, and Ross sent me a text and said, Matt is still with us. He was with us us today. How great is that?
Speaker 3: Amazing?
Speaker 1: We're so excited to bring in multiple guests today. This is not the first time we've done this. We did this for our Mother's Day show. We brought in two great guests with amazing moms. But today we're going to bring in the guests we talked to at lou Garrig Day. Aaron Nola of the Philadelphia Phillies, Brandon Crawford of San Francisco Giants now Saint Louis Cardinals, and Sam Hilliard is going to be joining us. Mike Piscotti is going to be joining us. All of these moments are are kind of our highlights, I guess from our live stream show that we did this past week, right.
Speaker 2: And they will make you laugh and they will make you cry. These were powerful moments from people who have experienced ALS firsthand. It's well worth a listen.
Speaker 1: So today, in our interview portion of the episode, we have a lot of interviews to go back and forth between, so I thought to make it easier for you and so you can get the most out of each one, I would kind of take us between each and every interview. So Sam Hilliard was the first one we spoke to on our live ALS Lu Garrig Day show, and he's a professional baseball player in the Rockies system and his dad passed away from ALS and he had some incredible stories to tell.
Speaker 2: Sam, you and your dad grew up watching games in Texas because that's where you lived, and then you came back with the Rockies and played a game in Texas and he saw you. What was that night like for you?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that night was incredible. You can't talk about that night without talking about how amazing the Rangers organization was for doing that. During the COVID year, nobody was supposed to be in the state. Um, you know, at that point the disease is progressing. We didn't know how much time, you know, he had left, and they were like, yeah, since you guys live in the area, they can come and watch you play. It was opening day actually, twenty twenty, so my dad and my mom and my fiance at the time, you know, my wife were the only stands in the stadium and just looking up there and seeing my dad up there in his chair watching. He's usually the dad that like paces around the stadium, goes and stands in the outfield. I can't get still, so I know it was probably killing him in that aspect, but it was really cool. I think I struck out four times that day, which is a sidelt.
Speaker 2: But we don't need to talk about that, Sam, Sam. When you meet someone, anyone that comes up to you for the first time and says a family member has als, what is your message? Your first immediate message to that person.
Speaker 6: Probably give him a hug man, you know, just say I'm sorry and we're in this together, because I know that's kind of what you're going through. And they're all different, right, everyone progresses at different speed. Everyone has a different journey, but I just want to tell them like, hey, I'm sorry, there's nothing I can say to help you. Just know that I'm here for you. Give them a hug, I'm praying for you, and hang in their type of message, you know, something like that.
Speaker 1: There's such relief though, Sam, And I'm sure you feel this way too. There's almost like a barrier that's put down when you're talking to somebody who's been through it. And you could liken this to cancer, you could liken this to so many terrible diseases. Right when you're in front of somebody who knows right, there's almost there's a defense that you can let down because even though you say there's nothing I can say, Sam, I would say to you like, you know, like we don't need to say anything. Just look at in your eyes. You know what it's like firsthand. We know what it's like firsthand. And so your comfort in your words to somebody they do speak volumes and your work that your organization does is incredible and for you to come onto the stream today it really does mean.
Speaker 2: A lot to us.
Speaker 3: We really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: And last thing for me, Sam, And after your dad was diagnosed. Were you did you become even more curious about who lou Garrig was and what happened to him.
Speaker 6: Yeah, definitely, you know, whenever I found out it was also referred to as Luke Gregg's des Obviously, being in baseball, I'm aware of the greatness that is Luke Geregg and how amazing he was and what a great duty was as well. But yeah, it made me a little bit more interested in over the years kind of learning a little bit more about him and the way he handled it is just like kind of eye opening. He's such an incredible man, and you know he's gone too soon, but an incredible man. Incredible baseball players.
Speaker 1: One player we had join us live was Aaron Nola of Philadelphia, phil He's starting pitcher. His uncle passed away from als and he was able to join us. It was an off day for him, thankfully, so he had the chance to swing by where we were live streaming, and I think it's really amazing what he thinks the purpose of a baseball player.
Speaker 3: When it comes to off the field should.
Speaker 2: Be take a listen, all right, Aaron. So we're obviously here on lou garreg Day and just tell us what it's like having lost an uncle to ALS. What it's like for you as a baseball player to play on lou garreg Day with your uncle fast in your mind.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's tough.
Speaker 8: I mean I kind of got into he got diagnosed in October twenty fifteen, and I really didn't know too much about ALS. I had a girl I went to high school with, or our sister school that I knew her dad had got diagnosed with ALS when I was early in high school. So I didn't really know too much about it. And then my uncle get in diagnosed in twenty fifteen, I started to learn about it a little bit more.
Speaker 7: And obviously it.
Speaker 8: Was my dad's sister who was married to him, so we were really close, and my dad's whole family's super close, so it was obviously hard for all our family and to be able to be with Philly and how much they do with ALS. Here, we got to meet a lot of them who have it, and they get were able to come in the clubhouse and talk to us, and we got to meet the ones that have had it for you know, a couple of months, the ones that it's only affected their arm for thirteen fourteen fifteen years, which is crazy because you really don't know how long or how quick it's going to affect the body, right, So I think that's one of.
Speaker 7: The hardest parts too.
Speaker 8: So my uncle had it for several years and he did good and you know, as best as he could. But the biggest thing that I saw in him and anybody who has the disease is their attitude was right. So the determination that they're gonna beat this illness is you know, second to none, and that's a common theme that I see. And all the ones that get diagnosed with it.
Speaker 2: Tell us more about Uncle Allan. What kind of guy was He?
Speaker 8: Very smart, did finances, very very smart, very nice, loved.
Speaker 7: His wife, loved his family.
Speaker 8: It was obviously tragic that he come down with it, and that's the hard part about als. You just don't know who's gonna come down with it, and to see him go through it, it.
Speaker 7: Sucks, right, But.
Speaker 8: He obviously handled it at Bessie he could, And it was hard for Maya Maree and his wife to deal with that because I can only imagine how hard it is to be able to, you know, have to deal with that as it goes. As the disease gets so worse, right, it take over, the bioa took over his body, had to be in a wheelchair and obviously losing losing words that you have to get a monitor. But she she is a rock star. She still is.
Speaker 7: But it is stuff.
Speaker 1: I think the attitude that you brought up that a lot of ALS patients have, you're spot on it. I mean, my uncle so resilient, and you know, you look at these you look at your uncle, you look at my uncle, you look at these other patients, and you think to yourself, I don't think I would have that within me. But he always said, good pardon. He always said that, you know, this is going to be harder on you guys than it's going to be on us. And that always shocked me because we're not the ones with this debilitating disease.
Speaker 2: But he was always so.
Speaker 1: Conscious of how he's going to be strong throughout this. And it's amazing to hear that your uncle was that way. And I hear so many patients that are just.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but can't we take some away from that? I know of illness that doesn't have a cure, and were we go to our day to day life and we have a bad day or.
Speaker 7: For us a bad game that doesn't.
Speaker 1: I'm upset I stubbed my toe or only got five hours of sleep us.
Speaker 2: So, Aaron, when you do meet ALS patients and they do come into the clubhouse, I mean it connects you even more given what your uncle went thru.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, Yeah, because I have a family tied to it. I experienced them. My whole family experienced a loved one that had it, So we were around it. We know what it's like for them, we know what it's like for family members, for friends. So meeting them and their family members and their friends, I kind of understand it.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 2: You're donating one thousand dollars for every strikeout this year. Tell us about the people who want to help, what they can do and where they can donate to help this cause through you.
Speaker 8: Yeah, So I do it through Bigly Impact. So I had never done this before. I obviously donated. I've done the ALS Room that chapter. I'm looking to get more nationwide with it than the Big Chapter this this year and coming years. So Kyle Gibson, when he was here in twenty twenty one, mentioned the Adam wagin Wright's Big League Impact Organization and what we could do. And I never really heard about it or knew about it. And he said he donated to a couple of charity of his from team wins and a.
Speaker 7: Strikeouts kind of do it. You can do whatever you want.
Speaker 8: So I just thought to myself, that's a really cool way to give back to them and to raise awareness to raise the money for that kind of stuff. So I started that in twenty twenty two doing that for LS as well, so.
Speaker 7: And up the money a little bit this year.
Speaker 8: So I just think it's a really cool way for you know, having for strikeaouts and for a team wins to raise.
Speaker 2: That when you punch you out eleven guys, do you ever stop yourself? Sure? I really help today. Not only do we win the game and I pitched really well, but I really helped a good gause.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I just think going back to.
Speaker 8: The days that they have compared to the days that we have, right, you know, yeah, eleven strike ten, eleven strike God day is good, But it doesn't really matter where does that? Where do I want to make more of an impact than there? I want it to be somewhere else or some other people in right, And so that's als for me.
Speaker 7: And I think that's more important for me to do that and for us to do that.
Speaker 8: We can use our platforms as baseball players to help other people.
Speaker 1: Thanks to Aaron Nola for taking some time to join our live stream. Back on lou Garrig Day, Brandon Crawford of the Saint Louis Cardinals formerly of the San Francisco Giants, he also joined us. You're going to hear a bit of that interview coming up, But right now we've got Mike Piscotti. His son is Stephen Piscotti, a professional baseball player, and Mike's wife. Steven's mom died of als, and there was quite an incredible thing that happened after Steven came back to the major leagues after his mom's succumb to als. Mike, there was such an inspiring moment that happened after the loss of your wife. When your son Stephen returned to Major League baseball, he hit perhaps not just the biggest home run of his career, but one of the biggest home runs in.
Speaker 3: History in the sense of what it stood for.
Speaker 1: He hit a home run his first game back after losing his mom.
Speaker 3: Can you take us back to that time?
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know, it was, you know, clearly one of those times seeming the scene you get back to work, you know, and so they they sent him back. He was on a playing to Boston and you know they were playing the Red Sox, and uh, we just expected to join the game kind of you knows, you know, emotionally drained a bit, and uh, you have the.
Speaker 4: Night off and maybe just playing the next day. And it turns out there was a bit of a rain delay in that game, and uh, Bob Meldoyne, We look at Stephen says, hey, well, you know, how about you playing? He said, well, okay, so in a game he didn't really expect to play. Bob just decided to put him in there and get him.
Speaker 9: Right back on the horse. And you know when he when he hit that ball, you know we're watching on the lives, right, and uh, it's just stune you right, I mean you're just sitting there amaze. What do you think you think maybe maybe there was a little extra help there, right.
Speaker 6: Uh we called it.
Speaker 9: We called it the Heavenly Homer. Right. And when you hit the ball and you don't hit it out of Boston, you know you could have hit it out of the park, right, it was fabulous that I did want to tell you. You know, that game was delayed. It was delayed five innings. And this gentleman in the game lay just from Detroit working for some software company. He comes to a game, right, he's standing in the garage. It costs from Fenway, and that ball as it leaves Fenway goes into the garage and is rolling around, and he picked up the ball and he had no idea about it.
Speaker 6: Next day he goes to work and he's doing a presentation.
Speaker 9: He leaves off the flight show with him in the ball, right, and the people go, you know what, that ball?
Speaker 2: Pretty cool story, right, Mike meant a.
Speaker 9: Lot, big moment, and you know it's something that's always still from a little bit further away.
Speaker 2: Right, Mike, as a former player yourself and a coach and the father of a major leaguer. I mean, that story is unbelievable. But stories like that or similar happen in baseball all the time. How can we explain, Lane, how the game allows amazing things like that to happen.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's funny. We had a we had a fundraiser just recently out there. Jak Sell has gone through a similar experience when he thought one of his parents, I'm sorry, I don't remember his parents, I mean made his mom too, and it wasn't but one of the very first bets he comes back to the home run and it happens. Toby Morny, thank you. We opened our eyes and.
Speaker 6: Yeah, thanks about the experiences every.
Speaker 1: Going on our final of the live guests that joined us for the live stream of Saint Louis Cardinals, Brandon Crawford, and we also had Boog Shambi and Sarah Langs on the show. But you might have heard those during our bonus episode that we released this past Friday ahead of lou Garrey Day to help raise awareness. So if you miss those interviews, make sure to go back to our most recent episode, which was published this past Friday as a bonus episode. But Brandon Crawford, formerly of the San Francisco Giants where you might know him a little bit better, has a great connection actually with our last guests you just heard from and the entire Piscotti family. Let's hear from Brandon Crawford.
Speaker 2: We just got off the phone with Mike Piscotti and he made us laugh, but he made us cry. Also, explain your connection to ALS, especially through the Piscotti family.
Speaker 10: I mean, the Piscotti family is kind of the reason we got started in the you know, fundraising and trying to make some money for ALS research. So Steven and the Piscotti's are from Pleasanton, so am I and my dad had known them. I think through like maybe our sisters softball or something like that. There's some sort of connection where we got to know them. And when GRETCHENM. Piscotti got diagnosed, we we just we're interested in trying to, you know, make some money for for this research. And we had started doing a golf tournament I think a couple of years before that, and we decided to like kind of designate the golf tournament for for fundraising efforts for for ALS research.
Speaker 2: Right well after my brother was diagnosed, I got a call from Mike Piscotti, who I had never met in my life. I got a call from Mike Crawford, your father, who I had never met in my life. And this is what it's all about, isn't it, Brandon, that people recognize there's a connection here. I have to help. Is that how you see this?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Definitely, And I mean my dad is a big reason for this. For the Louke Eric Day I think he was. He was part of the committee to get this thing going. And it's just the people that you meet once you get into you know, any really any sort of fundraised fundraising effort. But it's it seems like there's so many connections in baseball with ALS, obviously Louke Gerrig being one of the big ones. But then you know, once we once we started making like trying to make money for for the research for ALS, we just met so many more people that have connections through baseball and just made some great relationships through that. So we've raised about nine hundred thousand dollars between those two, between those two groups, and so we're trying to we we don't have it like seven stone yet, but we're planning on doing a golf tournament in November to you know, get that get that number over a million.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, keep it wrong sounds great.
Speaker 2: Do you play golf left handed.
Speaker 5: Or right handed? Right handed?
Speaker 2: And that this is beautiful, Jeff, I've asked him and Evance, like John Grubb a million left good left in a hitter from the past, play right handed? Is it because it's a right handers game, it's hard to find left handed clubs. I mean, it's odd you're a left handed hitter, but you play golf right now?
Speaker 10: If that would be a my cropper question, because when I started playing golf when I was young, he gave me right handed clubs. I don't know if it was to not mess up my baseball slang or it was just way easier to find right handed clubs. But but yeah, since since I started playing as I was right handed and playing golf is a broad a broad term.
Speaker 1: Because I was gonna ask you, how do you perform at your own charity?
Speaker 5: Hit I hit the golf ball. We don't know where it's gonna go.
Speaker 2: It's a diabolically difficult game. Brandon, thank you so much for joining us today on such an important day in baseball history, Luke Gerrig Day. We can't thank you enough for bringing more awareness to this devastating disease.
Speaker 5: I'm happy to be part of it. So thank you, guys, Thank you.
Speaker 1: Thanks for going out of your he was texting, He's like, I'll jump ahead of the bus.
Speaker 3: I'll make sure i'm there early.
Speaker 2: So for going out of your way.
Speaker 3: To be here on a game day, especially We appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Good vibes, good vibes.
Speaker 3: Look at you, Dad, good VIBESU.
Speaker 2: That's like it, That's what we need, especially today.
Speaker 5: Yes, definitely, thank.
Speaker 1: You to all of our amazing guests who joined us at our livestream lou Garrick Show. If you want to check out the whole show, you can on our social media at Great Game or what. And I mean this kind of concludes Dad and wraps up at least for this season. We're always raising awareness for ALS, being that it affected our family so much, but for this season, it has wrapped up our kind of three episode weekend run for ALS. What was the takeaway for you throughout Luke Garrick Day, Well, it.
Speaker 2: Was just the stories that I heard. Sam Hilliard's story about his father being in the ballpark when he wasn't even allowed in a major league park in twenty twenty because of COVID, the Mike Piscatti story about his son Steven, who hit the home run, you know, four days after his mother died. I mean, these are the stories that I will never forget the rest of my life. And this is why baseball is the greatest game. It gives us the best stories. That when you hear them, you say to yourself, I know, I'll never forget that story as long as I live.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think for me sitting down with Aaron Nola and seeing in his eyes how much he missed his uncle, and for me, you know, losing your brother, my uncle, I just I feel so connected with him, for lack of a better term. And he mentioned something that he noticed every time he talks to a patient who has als, their hope and strength and resilience is unbelievable. He says, their determination to beat it is something that he sees so commonly amongst these patients, and it really just it really just put a light bulb in my head to think about all the way back when lou Garrig retired and he said, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth. Had that resilience and strength, and even up until your brother, my uncle passed away, he had that strength and resilience.
Speaker 3: And it's a beautiful thing.
Speaker 1: I had such a great time putting these shows together, Dad, it was it was probably in honor of my life. And for as long as we do this podcast, I will remember these episodes forever.
Speaker 9: Well.
Speaker 2: Thank you Jeff, it was an honor and to honor to do it on Luke Gerrit Day.
Speaker 1: And thank you for listening as always, and we appreciate you and thank you for being a part of our family.