Speaker 1: Hey there, folks. It is Thursday, May fourteenth, and a prominent US senator's son says he is seeking help, seeking treatment for his drinking problem, and that problem causes him to say things like he hates Jews, in which they all would die. And with that, welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ Robes. What in the world is going on? It's always something At this time it's Rand Paul's son and a bizarre incident and a DC bar.
Speaker 2: It is bizarre and concerning, and once again, when someone behaves badly, they seek treatment.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's uh.
Speaker 2: I guess it's a step in the right direction.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is pretty quick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty quick. William Paul, son of Senator Ran Paul.
Speaker 1: Have you ever heard of him before?
Speaker 2: Well? I hadn't until I did a Google search and then saw that he's had some other issues with drinking related incidents in the past, stemming from his college days on up. But this is especially egregious and atrocious. You know, they always say, is it drunk? Talk? Is sober thoughts?
Speaker 1: So they say no, you say all the time. You say that to people all the time. Listen to folks when they are abriated.
Speaker 2: I think if most people actually do a deep check and say, when you get a little loose in the lips and you say maybe things you wouldn't have said had you been sober, if you really think about it, they'd come from a deep place of truth from within you. So I don't know. This is deeply concerning when you hear I don't know. I think I saw he was in college in like twenty thirteen, So I'm guessing he is old enough to know better. I would get like late twenties, early thirties.
Speaker 1: I thought he was much younger.
Speaker 2: Oh, let me, let me look and see. But he was in college in twenty thirteen. Let me look and see.
Speaker 1: That was quite a while ago. This guy's thirty something.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna get his exact age.
Speaker 1: Oh my good. Yes, William Paul is the name, And of course most people at this point a very familiar with Senator Rand Paul, the Republican from Kentucky, very prominent, very outspoken member of Congress. Now, the incident we're describing is one that I don't know if we'd heard of at this US congressman decided to tell about it, and was the age?
Speaker 2: Did you find thirty three?
Speaker 1: That's thing.
Speaker 2: I think he's reading thirty three years old old, significantly old enough to know better.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this comes to some representative, Mike Lawler. It's a Democrat from New York. He said this happened Robes on Tuesday night. He just happened to be out eating with friends, hanging out mining his own business at this bar, and William Paul approaches.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he says that he was verbally accosted by William Paul. He in fact, he was eating with friends and one of them was a journalist who actually wrote this down and said I was an eyewitness to every single thing that was said. So this isn't just coming from Congressman Lawler. This is also coming from a journalist to witness the entire thing.
Speaker 1: It's hard to deny you got that many witnesses.
Speaker 2: That's probably why we saw a very quick apology from William Paul on X explaining why perhaps he behaved the way he did. So there was no denial that is of noe. But here is how the incident was described to reporters by Congressman Lawler, who he literally was holding court on the steps of Capitol Hill with about ten mics in his face. As he was relaying what happened, but he said that William Paul basically just came up to him and said, if Thomas Massey loses, it's because of your people. And when he says Thomas Massey, he's referring to a Kentucky Republican who's up for a primary election. Quickly correc it's a matter of weeks. So he said, if Massey loses, it's because of your people. And he said, who are my people? And he reportedly said Jews. And that is when Congressman Lawler said, explained to him, yeah, so I am. He said he was Irish, Catholic, not Jewish, and he said that's when oddly, William Paul quickly said, oh, I'm sorry to accuse you of that. Wow, he apologized for accusing him of being Jewish. My bad. Okay, So you think if it ended there that still would have been bad, But no, it went on from there, he then said, and witnesses corroborated that William Paul went on a ten minute rant about Israel about Jewish people, accusing Jews of being responsible for pretty much everything that goes wrong in the world, and then added that he hates the Gaze too, and wants Jews and Gaze to all die.
Speaker 1: So he's seeking help with the drinking problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I mean that is one step, but maybe he also just might need to ask himself why he holds such hatred.
Speaker 1: In his sat is just for that to come out of somebody's mouth. It does not even the association necessarily with Rand Paul, which certainly elevates this, and I am curious where does that come from?
Speaker 2: It? Look, I don't know. I don't know where that comes from. And you can't hold a thirty three year old man, I guess I would say you can't hold his father necessarily responsible for what comes out of a thirty three year old man's mouth, who is a fully formed human. Who. Look, we all have plenty of people. You know, your children might not think the same way you do. They might not have the same political ideology as you do. So I want to make sure we separate that. But unfortunately for Senator Paul, he's had to do a lot of explaining when it comes to some of the things his son has done and said, and that is part of being a parent, I get. But this has risen to a significant level, and we haven't heard anything from Senator Paul's office as of yet.
Speaker 1: No, they asked him about it in the hallway to say, hey, I got nothing on you. I got nothing for you on that, and kept it pushing. But this is Yes, it's embarrassing tough publicly, but that's no parent is going to be proud of that and their kid having that moment. We've all say, we've all, but you of a certain age, we've all had a bad moment somewhere at a bar, did something, said something stupid, made a fool out of yourself. Nothing like that for the overwhelming majority of us. Have we ever had to come back the next day and apologize for saying I hate this entire group of people that doesn't, So I don't know where that comes from.
Speaker 2: And he wasn't even in the conversation.
Speaker 1: He just decided to interject because he thought he saw a Jewish congressman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Lawler was sitting there having his own conversation with his own group, and he decided he introduced himself first and said here's who I am, and then started weighing in on all of this horrific anti Semitic, homophobic, just this long, ten minute rant where they were just sitting there with their jaws dropped. They called it disgusting behavior. It was one of those moments where as you hear Lawler describe it, it's almost as if he couldn't believe what he was hearing. And then he said, to top it all off, when when Paul got up to leave, he flipped him off with the bird apparently, and then tripped over his barstool on the way out, which you know, if only there was video, you.
Speaker 1: Know, I'll just add, and you know what there might be in this ball. You know they're going back looking for it.
Speaker 2: Now if there was a ten minute rant, don't you think someone these days, you'd feel like, at least especially the reporter, I would have thought they would have taken out their cell phone and started recording, because if that were the case, this would be on a whole other level of this story. It would you know. It just goes to show if you've got it's one thing, you've got two accounts, and they seem very legit because they are, you know, in Unison they are saying the same thing. But my god, if there was video of this, I can't even imagine the uproar it will cause, but certainly validating for all the folks out there who say, Look, this sentiment is real, it's damaging, and people feel that confident to speak like that. Look, we did a story earlier this episode, earlier today about this disgusting human being in the state of Texas who feels perfectly okay, sorry what oh Tennessee, sorry the other t state in the state of Tennessee to feel like it's his constitutional right to drop the N word wherever he goes to instigate violence. It's just there's this sense of entitlement or the sense of ownership. I get to say whatever hateful things I want because I'm an American, and it's it's a it's a disgusting, hateful sense of entitlement that seems to be fairly pervasive. It maybe was before behind closed doors or whispered Now you've got people shouting it from the rooftops.
Speaker 1: Which do you prefer. Do you prefer they keep it to themselves in the shadows and you're not knowing they're walking among us, or for them to just raise their hands.
Speaker 2: On one hand, it's it's good to know who you're who you're dealing with. But on the other hand, It says a lot that those individuals feel safe and entitled and protected to say these types of vile things.
Speaker 1: Hey, we have to say, I hate they feel the things in the first place. Who even want this stuff? We'll stay with us. We did hear. We'll let you hear his words, William Paul's words, what he says happened, and what he says he's going to do next, and also a tweet from the congressman as well that's worth hearing.
Speaker 2: Stare Welcome back, everyone to this episode of Amy and TJ, where we are talking about the son of Senator Rand Paul going off on a Republican congressman who is hanging at a DC bar with pals, actually a fellow journalist, when he says William Paul just decided to go on a rant about Jews about gays, just displaying disgusting rhetoric surrounding those two groups. And and we're hearing now from William Paul himself, who took to X and we should point out this is the perfect time to just ohe the irony to discuss what William Paul's X handle happens to be.
Speaker 1: Well, before we give it, you told me what was his other I had another drinking issue.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, so he had a duy when he was in college and then when he was nineteen. I believe that's so he was college aged as well. And I don't know what charges ended up sticking, but he got drunk on a plane and was charged with assaulting a flight attendant. Yes, this is a at the time, a young man who seemed to have some violent troubles with drinking. And fast forward now to thirty three year old adult William Paul. And it doesn't seem like he's learned his lesson when it comes to alcohol.
Speaker 1: Okay, and this is why. And so those cases you just mentioned are document it. Oh yeah, document absolutely, okay. So I wanted to get that out before then we looked to see his statement he put on X and to find him on X, you have to find is X or Twitter handle?
Speaker 2: Right, yes, and you pointed out, you said, wow, just let me know when you see his Twitter handle. William Paul's X handle is Tasty Brew seventeen seventy six.
Speaker 1: Can't make it up. That's when I decided.
Speaker 2: We have to do the story and America.
Speaker 1: Tasty Brew seventeen seventy six is his handle, So you have to go to the Tasty Brew seventeen seventy six handle to hear his message about his drinking problem.
Speaker 2: Some stories just write themselves. They do that.
Speaker 1: When I saw his handle, that's when I said to you, Hey, babe, got a steak.
Speaker 2: You gotta do the story. So here's what William Paul aka Tasty Bruce seventeen seventy six had to say. Last night, I had too much to drink and said some things that don't represent who I really am. I'm sorry, and today I am seeking help for my drinking problem.
Speaker 1: Drinking problems are legit. They are serious. This guy's I don't know him at all, but even just hearing some history of his documented history of incidents, alcohol was involved in those incidents, correct, right, So hear he's getting help. We're drinking problem. I think that's good. That's healthy, that's fine. If he's admitting to a mistake, that's okay as well. Oh boy, does drinking make you a racist?
Speaker 2: And that is the question, babe, does I would argue no.
Speaker 1: Does drinking make you a homophobic?
Speaker 2: I would argue no, It just makes you feel emboldened to be able to say what you really think out loud. Now he claims that what he said doesn't represent who he is. Okay, but he wasn't asked about something. There wasn't a conversation that suddenly got him fired up where he said something he shouldn't have. He chose to interject into someone else's conversation about a primary election and blame Jewish people if that man loses. So that I don't know, Oh, that's a tough thing for me to marry that. He says it doesn't represent who he is, and then if you look at how the events unfolded, sober or drunk, it's hard to explain that away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I don't want to dismiss what he's saying. I just I don't know how to reconcile those two things. Robes, There's just it doesn't matter. There's some things that just will never come out of your mouth. I hate a whole group and I wish they'd all die.
Speaker 2: Woo huh.
Speaker 1: Hey man, I was just drunk last night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it was just silly me getting drunk again.
Speaker 1: Ha ha ha ha. I mean it's just tough to reconcile. And so yes, it helped with drinking, help with hate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hope he gets the help he needs because and look, and I do think shining a spotlight on these types of situations is important for people to recognize just how painful and damaging this type of rhetoric truly, truly is. And so we had represent of Lawlor go on X and make his official statement about what happened. He said, we are seeing an alarming rise in anti Semitism across the country, and the incident that occurred on Tuesday night is a stark reminder of that. For an individual to belligerently confront me because they believed I was Jewish is shocking and unacceptable. Worse than that, however, was the anti Semitic diatribe that followed, blaming Jews for a myriad of issues in New York seventeen. That's the district he represents. I'm proud to represent one of the largest Jewish populations in the United States, and I will always stand up for them and for all of my constituents.
Speaker 1: It's some I don't know how we where do we get out of this? What comes out of this? So I don't know if their consequences for this young man because of this, So huh, just another ugly incident to highlight again. This is our feed is full of racism today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's tough this Yeah, for whatever reason today, we've just got these types of stories making headline. And the hope is that maybe people read them, they absorb them, and maybe adjust some of what they think about how we talk to each other. I mean, I always feel like there can be lessons in all of this crap, and I'm hoping there can be one that comes out of this.
Speaker 1: All right, folks, we always appreciate you spending some time with us on behalf of my dear Hamy Robot. I'm TJ. Holmes. We'll talk to