Speaker 1: Hey there, folks. It is Monday, January twenty sixth, and it has been destructive. It has been devastating, it has been deadly, and it is not done. Welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ hopping on to give you an update on what we are still in the midst of, which is a historic storm that's devastating the country in romes. We have to say, we're recording this pretty early this morning on Monday. This is one you have to The mineralogists got this one right. They've been warning us about this thing, and it's pretty much happening exactly how they said it would, which is disastrous.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean twenty three states have declared states of emergency in this country. That is a significant number. That's nearly half the country is in a state of emergency. And the death toll from this storm is rising. The numbers are all over the place, but from what we can gather this morning, at least a dozen have died because of this storm, and more than eight hundred thousand people are without power. We're talking about one hundred and eighty five million Americans impacted by one storm. It's hard to get your head around that. And yes, we've been warned about it. We've been told about it, but sometimes we doubt our local forecasters because we think God's not going to be that bad. This one was an all day historic event.
Speaker 1: Well, I hope a lot of you all did heed warnings. We know a lot of governments across the country, state, local communities are shut down for the most part, a lot of schools are closed. A lot of airports even for the most part you could argue, are closed because of cancelations and delays that we have seen. So we want to get you caught up about where things are right now this moment. As we are recording this on Monday morning, it is going to be a difficult day for a lot of people. So let's start with that first of all. Robes. We'll take it in three different segments. Essentially, I guess the devastation with the death toll, what we're seeing with power outages, and also what we're going to be looking at with travel coming up. But let's start there with the death toll. It has been steadily going up and by the counts we're seeing now at least and we could probably ropes unfortunately, expect this to go up. But approximately a dozen folks have been dead, have been killed in I guess various ways, and frankly in some of the ways we unfortunately were used to seeing during a storm like this.
Speaker 2: That's true, and we're getting some of the details about some of these deaths. We know that three people died in Tennessee, two in Louisiana. We know those were two men who both died of hypothermia. Two died in Texas. Listened to this just north of Dallas. This is just something that's so tragic. The story is this one one sixteen year old boy was driving a jeep Wrangler. He had two sixteen year old girls being pulled in a sled behind the jeep. The sled flew and hit a curb and then a tree. One girl died, the other girls in critical condition, and then someone else died in Tech of hypothermia. Another person died in Kansas. In Massachusetts, a woman died after she and her husband were walking in a parking lot and a snow plow truck struck her didn't see her in all of the binding snow and killed her. And then we know that five people were found dead here in New York City on Saturday. They are believed to have died from exposure hypothermia to the cold. Some of those deaths aren't confirmed. And we also have a tragic plane crash in Maine where we do not know the status of eight people who took off around eight pm last night in the heart of this massive snowstorm. So those numbers are still we don't know if, unfortunately, if those folks will be added to the death soull.
Speaker 1: And travel is impossible. It is virtually impossible in many areas of the country. And part of this is going to be a problem folks. As we sit here in New York. It is what Monday morning, we are not predicted to hit a temperature above thirty two above freezing until next Whinda at the earliest. So we have a pile of snow and ice sitting as layers on these roads that don't have a chance of melting for another week and a half. That is going to be an issue in many places across the country. You all please heat these warnings, Please listen to folks. I know some folks just have to get out robes, but it is slick and it is going to be an invisible sheet of ice in many places. From Texas to the Carolinas today and in days ahead.
Speaker 2: Right, I mean, and look, some places are more adjusted or know how to deal with cold like this, with ice like this, with snow like this. But so many parts of the country, so many of you listening, this is an anomaly. This just doesn't happen, and it certainly hasn't happened in a very long time. And so many folks are dealing with power outages. You just talked about that extreme cold. Now imagine you don't have heat, you don't have a generator, you don't have a way of making your homewarm. I know there are warming centers across the country, but eight one hundred and twenty thousand customers are without power this morning. That is significant. And Tennessee really got hit hard. At least two hundred and fifty three thousand customers are without power there. Nashville said they have not seen an ice storm like this in three decades. That's the magnitude of this storm.
Speaker 1: So this is going to be obviously an issue because those numbers might go up. The outages. Oftentimes we see them at the beginning, initially at the start of a storm, and then numbers start to improve. But this is a situation where you have ice continuing to build up in places, so you could still have power lines coming down, You still could have tree limbs coming down on those power lines, and so on and so forth. Tennessee and Mississippi are two states at least that are looking at nearly ten percent of those states are dark do not have power right now. That is a significant issue given the temperatures that are not rising. Speaking of those temperatures, speaking of the precipitation, We've got some places in the country that's all thirty inches plus of snow, and then you have some places in the country that saw forty below in wind chills. So we're talking about yes, it's cold, this is not cold. This is dangerous, downright dangerous in many places.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you mentioned the thirty inches of Bonito Lake, New Mexico. I think right now, according to the National Weather Service had the most snow from this storm thirty one inches. That's just even hard to get your head around. And if you had anywhere to be. We're talking about the roads obviously a major major issue, but so were the airport's air travel Sunday they said will be considered one of the biggest weather related flight cancelation days in US history. That is the impact of this storm. US flight cancelations actually hit the highest level since the pandemic March thirtieth. They're going back to. Of course, that was the day where we found out what was happening in this country or in around the world, and all those flights got canceled. That was twelve one hundred and forty three flights canceled on day March thirtieth, twenty twenty. Yesterday eleven thousand and five ninety eight. We were close, and that is significant. More than thirty five hundred flight delays or excuse me, cancelations are expected today and that doesn't even take into account the delays. So if you're trying to get somewhere today, probably best in airlines have certainly set up situations where you can go online, you can rebook your flight, and they are they are waving fees because this is an absolute mess. Obviously, with yesterday, with all of those cancelations, it's going to take days for airports to get back to where they were supposed to be. And school districts, well, mom and dads, you all already know a lot of your kids are not going to school today. But I know TJ. Sabine was pretty upset because even though she's not going to school today, she's still learning today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a different lot than the school district like New York. Of course they have so many other days, other holidays. Is at the very diverse city, so they cannot afford to take days off. You gotta get kids in certain numbers parents to cross the country. No, so yes, they there are no snow days. There are just days you don't go physically into your building. The rest of them are remote remote learning days, which of course we got something out of the pandemic. We don't have to have it canceled snow days essentially for kids across the country.
Speaker 2: They now know how to do this via zoom. You could see Sabine or we could hear Sabine's disappointment when she was like, wait, what we have to do zoom? But that is what a lot of kids. They can still probably take some time off maybe and get into the snow and have some fun, but it is so cold out there. It is tough. And speaking of man, this hitting close to home when we're talking about where some of this snow hit Arkansas. That was a big news maker over the weekend, your home state. Twelve inches of snow in some parts of Arkansas, ten inches in North Little Rock. But they had a situation with a dock where heavy snow came crashing down on these houseboats. A whole doc people had to be rescued. This is again a part of the country that just isn't used to see. How much snow did you see when you were living in Arkansas?
Speaker 1: No, I mean I can't remember. I don't have any childhood memories of snow. But no, I grew up in the Memphis area, and yeah, we don't get snow. We don't do this. I didn't know that snow boots were necessary. I had no idea about this stuff until I'm moving to New York. Really, so it is it's that factors in as well, with people not know exactly how to deal with it, with cities not necessarily being prepared for something this large. No fault of theirs, but historically, why do I need to get this many snow trucks? We only have one big snow every twenty five years. We understand that, but now we need the trucks. Yeah, and a lot of cities are dealing with that. But stay here, folks. We will give you the very latest and the update on what's happening right now with flights across the country. Stay here, all right, folks, will continue here on this Monday, January twenty six. Just wanted to hop on and give you the very latest on what's happening across the country with this storm that has been devastating and it is now deadly. At least about a dozen attributed to this snowstorm, snowstorm, ice storm, severe cold storm, whatever you want to call it, but it's hitting right now. It continues to have an impact across the country and particularly the south. But really, you can draw a line from almost New Mexico all the way to North Carolina with a fat crayon, make it pink, and draw from New Mexico to North Carolina, and that's really the chunk of the country that is just continuing to be devastated right now. Robes, I think most people are resigned to the idea that you're not traveling right now. Yeah, I guess some people you absolutely have to get somewhere, but most people are You have to understand it's.
Speaker 2: Not happening, No and yes, because if you have delays like we saw yesterday at the airport, now you're trying to get out somewhere today and there were already, as we mentioned, thousands of cancelations, delays stacking up, piling up. This thing isn't going to get back to normal in terms of air travel, at least for several days. So yes, people will have to be understand of the situation at hand with all of the weather delays that continue as far.
Speaker 1: As this morning goes. We're giving you this real time again, as of this recording of this morning, we're already seeing about four thousand delays in the country. Again, this is coming to us from Flight Aware at this point. Don't have to explain what that is. Most people who travel are aware of that by now, but they are giving real time updates about what's happening in the worst right now. The airport's being impact as far as cancelation goes. Boston, JFK, Newark, LaGuardia, Reagan, National, Charlotte, Dallas, Nashville, Philadelphia, Washington. You get the point here. These are all the cities on the East Coast right now, but Boston sixty percent of flights this morning so far have been canceled.
Speaker 2: Wow, that I mean that is significant. You know what, actually what headlines stood out to me. This may sound trivial, but certainly if you're a New Yorker, you understand how important our delivery systems are here, especially in a snowstorm like this. It got so bad that DoorDash suspended all operations yesterday until today. You know that's a big deal because New Yorkers who don't want to get out, We rely on our folks who get out there and bring things when stuff is tough to get around, or at least the weather makes it tough to get around. I've never seen door Dash suspend deliveries here in New York City, at least in recent history. I haven't seen that. That was a sign of the severity of the storm. At least here in New York City. That was significant. But we've got some of the highest no totals, just out of curiosity who got pounded the most. I mentioned those thirty one inches in New Mexico, Crested Butte, Colorado twenty three inches, but New City, New York seventeen point six inches, Connecticut eighteen inches, New Jersey seventeen inches. So that fell in line with what forecasters were suggesting. But again, we have not seen snow like this in five years here in the Northeast, and for some folks during this weather, this is the most snow they've ever seen in their lives. And you mentioned, babe, what comes next now is this cold weather. Millions of folks now are going to be ten to forty degrees below average for the many, many days to come, and that is dangerous. Of course. So many of the deaths we've talked about already from this storm came from exposure, came from cold weather. So when you've got wind chills minus twenty, minus thirty, that is significant. And I was looking to see the National Weather Service put it like this. They said, from Montana to the Florida Panhandle, there are cold weather advisories and extreme cold warnings for all of those folks in that path. And I know it's January, but still this is dangerous cold. And just wanted to jump on and let everyone know that, yes, we are maybe through the worst of the precipitation right now, but we've got a lot of that dangerous weather behind it, with wind chills and cold weather. So please everyone stay put. If You can bundle up, of course, and we will be monitoring this situation and bring you any new developments, but as always, we appreciate you listening to us. Everyone, I'm Ami Robot alongside the