Speaker 1: I Am all in.
Speaker 2: You.
Speaker 3: I Am all in with Scott Patterson, an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 2: Everybody Scott Patterson I Am All In Podcast Pop Culture, Season five, episode fourteen, Say Something one eleven Productions iHeartRadio, joined by Danielle Romo, Amy Sugarman. Tara is off water skiing in the Pacific Ocean. Laura Ia is looking for Luke and sees Kirk in the arcade playing Dance Dance Revolution. Kirk Sweat is the Curse of the bee Boy. Most Deaf, so you're feeling better. Most Epic is a rapper who was featured on Bee Boy Document ninety nine song by High and Mighty, Keep.
Speaker 3: Going, Do one more? You go, you do one more?
Speaker 1: You want to do one more.
Speaker 2: Luke is watching my Man Godfrey at the Black White, Red Theater. R e A d yek Yeah, uh Laurel, I man, they sure talked fast in these things.
Speaker 1: My Man Godfrey is eight.
Speaker 3: I don't want to interrupt.
Speaker 1: You said, yes, ma'am in the front row.
Speaker 3: Thank you. That was such a great line because it's so it has a double meaning. You sure talk fast in these things because it's about the movie, but obviously it's about Gilmore.
Speaker 1: Girls yeah, obviously.
Speaker 3: Anyway, sorry to interrupt, No, no.
Speaker 1: My man. Obviously.
Speaker 2: These inspired the Palladinos to write the in this way in this clip fashion my man Godfrey in nineteen thirty six films starring William Powell and Carol Lombard. Lombard is coincidentally saying that they talked fast in the film When Gilmore Grows is known for their fast talk as well, but also the plotline of this film is similar to Luke and Laurelis situation a quote poor man falls in love with the daughter of a wealthy businessman. In Luke is watching, Godfrey has been dragged to a party and humiliated because of his status.
Speaker 3: I did not realize that until now. So it's a double meaning, double meaning.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You know, the Palladino's going to their quiver, their black and white film.
Speaker 3: Ever, they know what they're doing. So when Laurai's giving a tour of the inn to the woman throwing the party for the dolls and the girls, you like Yanni, Lorelai says, the woman says, I hate him with every fire of my being. Poor Yanni. He really gets draped. So Yanni is a composer, keyboard as pianist and music producer, and at the time, Yannie's ethnicity was charted as number one on the top of New Age albums. Now, I don't think that I would be familiar with Yannie if not for his marriage to Dynasty star Linda Evans. I think they later divorced, but that was how I became familiar with Yannie.
Speaker 1: Hmm. Linda Evans wanted some of those sweet sounds. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I could go on, but I'm gonna stop myself because there's a there's an answer to the Yannie, Okay.
Speaker 4: Michelle and Lorlai talking about hosting a pancake breakfast for girls and their dolls, and he is in disbelief over serving breakfast for the dolls, so Michelle says, teeth throw colon's. They don't have these things either unless they are Brides of Chucky. And Brides of Chucky or Bride of Chucky is a nineteen ninety eight horror film starring Jennifer Tilley, Catherine Heigel, and Brad Doriff. Michelle is making this reference because the dolls in the Bride of Chucky are alive.
Speaker 3: I never saw a Bride of Chucky, but it's very uh like famous in pop culture. Yeah, like, I'm not sure it was quality. It might have had a bad score on Rotten Tomatoes, but it's solid.
Speaker 1: Definitely a cult classic. Yeah, he's in the horror genre, no question about it.
Speaker 3: Chucky. And then Chucky's still around because then they have that show on cable. Yeah, Chucky again.
Speaker 2: Chucky's not going away. Chucky's gonna have the endurance like the Gilmore girls around.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean.
Speaker 3: He's getting checks residuals for sure.
Speaker 1: Oh kidding me.
Speaker 2: Every time he said, well he's getting from us, we say Chucky. Four times he gets a million dollars. It's unbelievable. Suki explained to Laurel I a story she heard about a couple who ended up together after forty years. Lorele, I wasn't Katie Kirk. She seems dark, very dark to me.
Speaker 1: That was very fun line.
Speaker 2: Uh. Katie Kirk is a journalist who at the time at this time was on the Today Show.
Speaker 1: Now apparent But.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm so sorry, Yeah, but thank you. I have maybe told this story before on this show, so forgive me if it's a repeat. But let me quickly tell you something that Katie Kuric did that's really a gift to all of us. On her TikTok or Instagram, I don't know. Dig around, she shows her tomato sandwich recipe and number one it went viral. Number two I made it and I cannot cook at all, and it is delicious. May briefly tell you what to do. Get some delicious sourdough bread, like really really good sour dough bread, like the kind that comes in a big thing and you slice it off right, then you toast it, toast it to your own liking. But I like it kind of, you know, a medium toasting. Get your mayonnaise. I do best foods. I believe that Katie does as well. But whatever man is you like, then you can get.
Speaker 1: I'm not with the mayonnaise. Sorry.
Speaker 3: I know a lot of people. It's very polarizing. They hate it, but I love it. Then you get delicious tomatoes. So I prefer an heirloom, but like a big thick, you know, almost like a beefsteak.
Speaker 1: Tomato tomatoes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, whatever is your tomato choices and you just lay it out.
Speaker 1: No, that's a Jersey tomato. It's not whatever is my choice.
Speaker 3: It's oh, it's choice. Your choice is a Jersey tomato.
Speaker 1: But those are the best tomatoes in the world. Jersey tomato.
Speaker 3: Well, could we can debate that another day. So then salt it. And I think she might have peppered it. I have to read. Look, but I think I did. And that's it. Cut that thing in half. Tomato sandwich. And I'm telling you, delicious. Probably low in nutritional value, but yet.
Speaker 1: Delicious puts a smile on the face totally.
Speaker 3: And she's got a new one. I noticed on her TikTok. She said after last year's viral tomato sandwich. Here's my new one. But it didn't look nearly as good as that.
Speaker 1: I may make a nice chicken and chicken sandwich this morning.
Speaker 3: Well that's delicious. I love it.
Speaker 1: We sent them off to camp and I you know, I made him a sandwich.
Speaker 3: I love a sandwich. Now, are you talking fresh chicken or like sliced you know, Deli meat chicken?
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, no, no, we homemade from the bird. It's the real deal.
Speaker 3: I expect no less.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 3: Paris asking Rory if the guy she was waiting for a call from was Logan with the hair and the chin like he's the fourth beg This made me little, and I love when she says, like, tell me it's not a Huntsburger, but so the Beg's like I even need to explain. We're a musical group formed in nineteen fifty eight by brothers Barry, Robin and Morris. I know you want to say Maurice, but it's Morris Gibb. The trio were especially success successful in the late sixties and early seventies. Hello they basically were disco, and they were later as prominent performers in the disco music era. Paris making a joke that Logan looks like he could be the fourth brother of the begis now I'm gonna throw a flag on the plane that I think Logan looks nothing like the Bege. I agree, because I know exactly what Andy Gibb looks like, and I know what Barry ghib looks like. They looked the most alike, and let me tell you, they were handsome. They were stunningly handsome.
Speaker 1: Victoria Principal broke my heart when she married the Good One. Yes, yes, yes, I remember the day. I remember the day.
Speaker 3: So my favorite big song, I'm gonna go with, How Deep Is Your Love? Night Fever I mean that's just the probably now and my favorite Andy Gibbs song definitely shadow Dancing Us Danielle. I will pay you ten dollars right now if you can name a big song without getting your phone that has not already been named.
Speaker 4: Well, if I showed you, I'm just gonna mine is danced to the music. Oh, I wish I could share my screen with you, but you've basically big song Staying Alive.
Speaker 3: Staying Alive. I really teed it every obvious one, and there was a really good Beg's documentary if anyone, Oh, really very good. Yeah. I don't know how you find it, but it's like around and if you just like google it, it's really.
Speaker 1: Good, fascinating, brilliant guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was a hard one for me. I'm more Andy Gibb because he was just a little bit more those are my age.
Speaker 5: When he died, I was like guted, but that sound they had And there's only one brother's GiB left, Only Barry's the only one alive.
Speaker 4: So Paris is waiting for a call from Doyle and thinks she and Paris are better than this, And Paris says, we're better than this. You and me were the children of Emma Goldman and Hillary Clinton. Strong Independent, We're better than this. Emma Goldman is a socialist and feminists who championed women's equality, free love, workers' rights, free universal education regardless of race or gender, and anarchism. Hillary, who we all know, is a politician who at this time was serving as New York State Senator, and Paris is comparing herself and Rory too too strong women that don't need to wait on a man to call them.
Speaker 2: Rory goes to Logan's to hang out with him and his friends, and they're playing poker. Logan, what do you know about this game?
Speaker 1: Rory? Just what I see on TV? The Odd Couple? Logan? What Rory?
Speaker 2: Quincy played it? But he he It wasn't called Quincy. It was Oscar and Felix. Felix didn't played Tony Randolly cooked for them. Sometimes this one make me.
Speaker 3: Laugh because it's like almost like a pop culture reference within a pop culture reference. Wasn't Getting Right Right?
Speaker 2: The TV show based on the Neil Simon movie of Right Yeah and the original story of The Odd Couple by Neil Simon. The play begins with a poker game in progress in the apartment of divorced sportswriter Oscar Madison, played by.
Speaker 1: At the time who this is the thing?
Speaker 3: This is? It was?
Speaker 1: It was Walter and Jack.
Speaker 3: Lemon, right, But she's talking about the TV.
Speaker 1: Via Jack Klugman and Tony rand who was.
Speaker 3: For people listening Quincy. So Jack Slugman went on to be Quincy. So she's like getting it wrong and right, relateable, right.
Speaker 1: Right Oscar Madison.
Speaker 2: The TV series The Odd Couple, which aired from nineteen seventy seventy five, there are several episodes where the characters play poker. Rory is only quoting what she has seen on TV with The Odd Couple.
Speaker 3: So then the next one, this one gets me because I'm not gonna lie. I've never seen the way we were, but I feel like I have between this and Sex and the City. So Lauraia is calling Luke and leaving a message on his answering machine. Hey, Luke, it's me. I know I'm not supposed to be calling, but I'm not doing great. I'm not really doing great right now. And I was just wondering if you remember in the way we were, And then she goes on and on to describe the whole scene. So this is the third reference of the film The Way We Were. Laura Lai refers to it in season one episod seven, Kiss and Tel, and again in season five, episode nine, Emily says, hello, And I think every time it comes up, I say, I'm familiar with it because Carrie and Big and Sex and the City when she says your girl's lovely hubble and brushes his hair away. And here's the thing, Robert.
Speaker 2: Redford forget about it, forget about it, forget about it.
Speaker 1: Kidding me.
Speaker 3: I love him so much. I have his poster. I have a poster in my garage of Robert Redford.
Speaker 1: Oh Man, Danielle, you know, I'm sure.
Speaker 2: I'm sure Amy Sheir and Pellatino tried to get Barber Streiss.
Speaker 1: In on Gilmore.
Speaker 2: I'm sure.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, can you imagine?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: I cannot.
Speaker 1: And I think she almost.
Speaker 2: I think she almost had her once, oh, because I kind of remember hearing about this, you know, wow, and we almost had her and then it just didn't work out or whatever.
Speaker 1: But these people ask for exorbent and sums of money. Sometimes.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying that's what happened, but something just happened on Sullivan's Crossing where we were going to get like a ram for me, and they asked so much.
Speaker 1: It was like, are you kidding me?
Speaker 3: If you know who the rom was supposed to be, I can't say, can you tell us later?
Speaker 1: I can't say, oh, we have to protect the.
Speaker 3: Here's what's annoying about Scott. I will tell you, guys, this might be a good thing. The dude can keep a secret, Like I'm tight with this guy, right, and he does not reveal things no matter how hard I try, Like, can you just tell me? Like it's just me, I'm not gonna tell anybody, And it's just like nope, Nope, nope, even when I like guess and sometimes I guess it right because I find out later and he still just poker faces it. Anyway, I think it's your turn, Daniel.
Speaker 4: All Right, I got it. Rory is going out to get supplies for Lorlai after the breakup. Lorlai says people are going to be all over you with questions, and Rory says, then they'll feel the wrath of the Green Dynasty. The Green Dynasty was a sword that was first featured in the film Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon in the year two thousand and then Rory says, then they'll fill the wrath of the Green Destiny. The Green Destiny was a sword that was first featured in the film Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon in the year two thousand and Rory is basically saying she'd be using the Green Destiny if people question her about her mom and Luke's breakup.
Speaker 1: M the Green Destiny Love.
Speaker 2: Rory is talking to Logan at his apartment, saying she wanted to.
Speaker 1: Hang out with him one on one.
Speaker 2: Rory, but I can tell you that I wasn't expecting to be Fanny Brice here. Nicki Earnstein. Nicki Earnstein was a professional gambler portrayed beautifully by.
Speaker 1: Omar Shariff.
Speaker 2: Oh Wow, God, and a Broadway star who a gambler and a conn artist. Fanny is a was a is a Broadway star who's on and off again relationship with Nikki was the basis of the play Funny Girl.
Speaker 3: The same Funny Girl that Barbarister I SAand became famous for in the movie version. This is correct, Wow, way to have some consistency here.
Speaker 2: On Rory is saying she doesn't want to be in a relationship with a gambler, like in the play Funny Girl, Ladies and Gentlemen. The next episode is season five, episode fifteen, Jews and Chinese Food.
Speaker 3: Which which people some people feel is one of the best episodes ever.
Speaker 2: Back row, back row, thank you, which one Jews and Chinese Food the best ever.
Speaker 3: One of the best episodes ever. Yeah. Hm, when you say front row, all I can think of is Luke on that couch in the front row of that weird movie theater. Oh painful, painful? Any therapy after that episode?
Speaker 1: Tough, sled and mass anyway? Yeah, talk about stuff.
Speaker 2: Talk about flashbacks, man, so many flashbacks watching that episode.
Speaker 1: Been there, done that, you know.
Speaker 3: Thanks guys, good pop culture all great.
Speaker 1: See you next time.
Speaker 2: Best fans on the planet, Thanks for downloading, Keep the cards and letters coming, and always remember that I we I am all in. Stay safe everyone, everybody, and forget Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.