Speaker 1: Hi, welcome to Desperately Devoted, the Ultimate Desperate Housewives rewatch, hosted by me, Terry Hatcher, my on screen daughter Andrea Bowen, and my real life daughter Emerson Tanna.
Speaker 2: Well, Hi, welcome back here.
Speaker 3: We are discussing episode eight, Guilty, and I just have to say Fred Gerber directed the shit out of this episode well.
Speaker 4: And maybe no surprise then.
Speaker 5: According to Wikipedia, this was our highest rated episode of this season thus far.
Speaker 3: It was my highest rated episode in my heart thus far.
Speaker 6: Well, I wonder if that's because of the insanely well edited, exciting end of the episode, which was where we were cutting back and forth between Missus Hooper being killed with the blender that she stole from Mary Alice by Paul and Mike and Susan having sex for the first time. I mean, that was hot, hot, hot, But I don't know. There were a lot of big things that happened in this episode, and there were big themes like shame and guilt and religion, and I feel like the question of you know, does being happy make you selfish? Also, I think people are looking at like your gut instinct, does it lead you wrong or right?
Speaker 4: So what stood out to you guys, where should we start? I love just to dive right in.
Speaker 5: I also love the general theme of this episode. We have so many characters turning to religion specifically in this episode, and I was thinking about that a lot, and I was wondering, like, I think it's human nature to sort of crave a blueprint in life, you know, we want to be guided, We want someone to answer these big questions, like Gabrielle turning to Father Crowley kind of trying to decipher what is right and wrong. And Susan and Mike in this episode with trust issues coming up, you know, with su and kind of snooping a little bit in Mike's house and kind of what does it? Someone tell me how and when I can really start to trust someone.
Speaker 3: Also have Bri and Rex really grappling with Andrew's lack of guilt over the car crash and the fact that he's put Wanita into a coma and kind of saying like, how have we raised a right sun or how have we raised our son? Have we done something wrong? I also love that the opening, the very opening. Mary Alice says in the beginning of this episode, there is a widely read book that tells us everyone is a sinner, and we see that Bible that Brie has. And I don't think, you know, this show being an American TV show airing in America, I do not think that it is a coincidence that the highest rated episode started with a Bible and ended with sex and murder. That really feels like it pretty perfectly encapsulates our country, for better or for worse.
Speaker 4: I don't know what else is there to cover. Those are the things.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I love that opening scene, and I.
Speaker 4: Also loved Okay.
Speaker 6: So it opens with the the Brie and Rex and the family discussing what are we going to do about the fact that Andrew, uh, you know, we hit and possibly killed this woman. And they're all sort of hemming and hanging about whose fault it is and who has the better idea, and finally Brie just comes up and she's the one with the solution. She's We're going to get rid of the car. This is how we're going to do it. Bum bum bum bump bum. And it actually reminded me Reese Witherspoon. I saw her like doing a lecture at sort of a women's event, and she was talking about how sometimes in movies the dialogue for women is so silly, Like they'll be a scenario where something goes wrong and the woman's dialogue will be like what should we do? What do you think we should do? Like the woman never has the solution. And Reese Witherspoon's at this event and she says to the audience, like, when have you ever seen a woman in an actual drama not be the person who knows what to do?
Speaker 2: Like the women are always.
Speaker 6: The people that stand up and like have a plan and get it done and never stop and go go, go go. I mean I feel like that in my life, Like I'm I'm never looking to anyone to help me solve the problem, maybe to my own detriment, But that kind of cracked me up that that Bree was the one that was like, of course, you know it's going to be the woman that's going to solve this, Smara.
Speaker 3: Of course, the solution will be to drive the car to a shady neighborhood and leave the keys in it. Turning our back to the morally reprehensible implications if someone steals this car and then ends up getting framed for murder potential when Needa dies in her coma, Yeah, I think, of course Brie is the one who had the plan. And I think it's interesting, Mom that you say that you always have a plan and that you never ask for help, because I think that is another big theme in this episode a lot of different characters. I'm specifically thinking about Lynette as her add medication addiction that she really spirals out of her control, her kind of inability, and then ultimate breakdown fueled by her vision of Mary Mary Alice in such a kind of haunting and beautiful and incredibly poetic way, Mary Alice coming to her in this vision and handing her the gun that she used in the pilot episode through the windows, this kind of last I guess to stick with our religion metaphor hail Mary for what to do to get out of this spiral that Lynette can't imagine how to get out of. And ultimately, of course it is when she realizes that she has to be honest with her friends and ask for her.
Speaker 5: We just have to linger on this scene because you know, as as we like to point out, this was two thousand and four Network television. What a brave and bold scene to show Lynette completely full crash out mode standing in the kitchen. She's sleep dep you know, completely sleep deprived. She's now maybe she's taken something. She went to the acupuncturist who gave her these you know, holistic, mushroomy things. She's taken that, which is aiding in this hallucination state that she's in. But she is completely at her wits end, totally falling apart. And it's overlaid with that amazing music, which I know was just like cinematic brilliance to.
Speaker 2: Have Len Groovy, so ivon Ellen.
Speaker 4: Groovy playing over that.
Speaker 5: Right, The dichotomy of those two things just making this this moment of TV feel like a pause worthy moment. I just I just really I think it's the it's maybe my favorite episode of the season.
Speaker 4: So far, that makes sense.
Speaker 6: I mean, that was just a brilliant scene, and I loved that Felicity did this little, tiny moment. I'm sure she did it on purpose, because that's the kind of actor she is. But she was when she was sitting at the table initially before she went into what gets revealed as a dream, she kind of did this thing of like where she puts her head down. So I think if you went back and you watched it again, you would see like, oh, she's asleep, you know. But I think when you watch it for the first time, you're a little confused, like is this really happening? Did she really throw the peanut butter through the through the window and break it like it's It was edited so well. This episode was so strongly about guilt and shame that I asked chat GPT what the difference between guilt and shame was, Do you guys want to hear what?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yes, GPT told me.
Speaker 3: I will just coveat this though with chat GPT is programmed to give you an answer no matter what you ask it, so sometimes if you ask chat GPT something, it will give you an incorrect answer, as opposed to saying I don't know. I'm not saying that this isn't the case of guilt or shame, but I was just talking about this the other day with a friend and I was like, I have to remember that I shouldn't always be turning to chat GPT for answers about complex questions because sometimes it just makes shit up.
Speaker 6: Wow, I'm not sure this is one of those times, but you be judge for yourself. Okay, So what it said was it said that guilt was focused on behavior, like I did something bad, I lied, and I regret it, And guilt tends to motivate a person to have reparations, like an apology or making amends. But shame is I am bad, and it focuses on self, like I lied and I'm a terrible person. And I just thought that was fascinating. The difference between owning like this deep seated I'm a terrible person as opposed to I did something bad, I should fix it. And do you know, I think of myself as somebody who.
Speaker 7: I try not to.
Speaker 6: Let guilt drive my life because I do feel in general, like guilt is a waste of time, you know, like like it's almost you know, you're just ruminating on something, but you're and you're punishing yourself, but you're not really fixing anything. You're not really solving anything. It just and so it feels like a waste of time. But I like I was the biggest example I had recently, Like in the last three years, I did take care over the care of my parents, and initially I was just giving them one hundred and fifty percent time everything they needed all the time because I felt guilty I felt guilty not doing it. I felt guilty saying no. I felt like everything was sort of like this could be their last Thanksgiving, this could be the last birthday, this could be the last day they were alive, like, and up against that pressure, I just felt like I could never say no because I thought I would feel guilty, And ultimately I realized that that was totally not sustainable and that I had to come around to giving myself some grace of that was silly for me to feel guilty, because what I should be feeling is the flip side of the positive of like, look at what I am able to do for these two people, look at how I am able to help. And it's interesting that we do kind of get caught up in our shortcomings, which I think happens to Len, which I think is what leads her down the road of addiction in the first place, is that she's not looking at what she has done, which is I've given up my job. I'm taking care of these four kids and the best way I can. You know, She's instead going like, I'm not having the perfect dinner, I'm not having the perfect behaved kids. I'm not and so that leads her to her addiction problem.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I think it serves in this in this episode two as a driver for what it can be when you do acknowledge it or when you just hit the point where you can no longer hide it. And that leads us to this the scene in the park with Susan and Brie where Lynnette says, like, why don't we tell each other these things?
Speaker 4: You know, which is such a.
Speaker 5: Moving moment for those friendships, but also just as something in my life going into you know, motherhood or any sort of struggle that we have in life. It's like, gosh, when you tap into your community and you.
Speaker 7: And someone says, oh, I've been there.
Speaker 4: Oh what it can make you feel.
Speaker 5: The relief that you're you're not carrying this shame around alone is so is so powerful And how it's interesting to hear you talk about that Initially a part of your taking on this chapter of your life of taking care of your parents was maybe driven by guilt, so it served as sort of an action item for you in a way I feel like, and then it evolved into much more. But the idea that shame, I think shame is a stealer of action, right, like shame makes you just stop in a really serious.
Speaker 6: And certain kind of way and isolate and isolate, and then you're just stuck in that place, which is you know, for our listeners, like I mean, if you look at my Instagram and you look at me just as a normal person, I'm always saying out, get out of your house, get out into nature, talk to strangers, go be social, because all of us do feel shame to one level or another for something in our lives, and that shame can really keep you closed off, and the lifting of that is getting out connecting with other people because you are not alone.
Speaker 3: Well, I was going to say, I think guilt, like regret, can be like you are saying, Andrea, an action item to do something different. I think guilt that we sit in turns into shame, which I agree becomes depressive and actually inhibits action and can become really dangerous because you start to identify with that complex. I think about something that my therapist has said in relation to depression. She said, you know what, actually it's okay to feel depressed, like when you physically think about what it means to be depressed. Okay, you were in a setback state where you were slightly removed from your life, and that can actually really have its advantages. You can see things more clearly, you can come up with a plan for how you want to move into the future. The place where being depressed becomes dangerous is when you start to identify with depression as part of your pathology, and then that becomes a complex that actually prevents you from taking a new action course and moving back out proactively into your life and into the world. And so I think it is amazing and it's such a relief to see Lynette have this scene with Susan and Brie where you feel the tension of this secret that she's been keeping and this fact that she's been struggling dissipate in the ability to just put it into words and share it with other people. And I think we can never underestimate the relief you feel when you share a burden. And I really like encourage all of us to share those things that we might feel guilty about before they fester and turn into shame.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Well, something that I don't think is depressing is Susan and Julie and Mike in this episode.
Speaker 3: There's so much fun counterbalancing the more serious themes in this episode.
Speaker 6: I think one of my favorite lines I've ever heard, and I just I'm just going to keep saying it. Andrew Bowen brilliant child actors like that. I'm just gonna say it. One of my favorite scenes is so so Sue. Susan is packing for this overnight We're going to have sex for the first time trip with Mike, and Julie is in the bedroom with her, and Julie says, I want you to go on you know she wants her to go on this date because she says, no man has seen you naked in years, and you have to get out of the house. And she says, because one day I'm going to have a husband of my own and I don't want you living with me.
Speaker 2: I have to say I was going to say.
Speaker 3: The other line from this same scene that I loved so much is when Julie says, no man has seen you naked in yours except your doctor, and then Susan goes, yeah, and he retired.
Speaker 5: And I have another favorite line from this scene, which justs me so excited that we all loved this scene so much, but which is when Susan mentions that she just doesn't know enough about Mike and that he could be a hit man for the mob, and Julie responds with if you really think that, why are you going on a trip with him?
Speaker 4: And I was a good point, Julie.
Speaker 6: Good point is sex in a very long time, so you know all the reason next well, hit man sex, you know.
Speaker 3: I do think the investigating of what are Mike's motives we do see Susan snoop around a lot more and get into some amazing Susan esque physical comedy, such as finding the money and hiding it from the repairman in the sink and then falling through the floor of Mike's unrepaired bathroom, which is just brilliant. I was laughing out loud with your little legs kicking through.
Speaker 7: The flooring, dangling between the levels.
Speaker 3: But it did bring up for me a kind of larger question around trust and what does it mean to trust the people that you're dating.
Speaker 2: I think sometimes I fall on the side of I don't know that.
Speaker 3: I think the assumption needs to be that couples always need to tell each other everything.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 3: Absolute honesty is not always like not I don't equate that necessarily with having deep and meaningful trust. And I think it's interesting how this comes back when Mike eventually does show up on Susan's doorstep and says, you know, ask me anything that you want and I'll tell you whatever it is that you want to know. And Susan says, well, that's my answer, And of course then that leads to their beautiful climactic scene of finally sleeping together, which we can get to. But I'm curious what you think about this in terms of our relationship. Do you feel like couple should tell each other everything? Where do you feel like that line is?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think.
Speaker 5: We all have a strong right to a personal inner life that is private. I think that it's only become more of a debate in relationships because of technology, right, like having access to each other's phones, or having access to each other's social media, or even just location sharing.
Speaker 4: You know, where is the line with.
Speaker 5: What access we allow others to have? And I, personally I would agree Emerson, I kind of fall more or towards the side of total honesty and access isn't necessarily.
Speaker 4: The healthiest option.
Speaker 5: I think we, like I said, I think we deserve personal inner lives. But I also think if you have an instinct in a relationship. I'm speaking romantic relationships, but I guess in other ones as well. If you have an instinct that you're wanting to read someone's texts or you're wanting to snoop through their house, like, pay attention to that instinct more than doing the thing itself.
Speaker 4: The instinct might be onto something.
Speaker 2: I feel like.
Speaker 3: I always say that, like I am so and I have never in a relationship and I never would ask or ask to go through someone's phone or tolerate anyone asking to go through my phone, because I have said to my friends who have had this in that relationship where they've been like, oh, I just went through his phone.
Speaker 2: I've gone to me.
Speaker 3: I think the minute you're going through someone's phone, the relationship's dead. The trust is gone, and what set you on the path to arrive at that place. It requires more investigation, I think than whatever may or may not be on someone's life.
Speaker 6: I was going to say a little bit different was that, Like I do think it's it's it's an interesting that you'll hear about, like as people begin to get into relationships, and which is what Susan Mike are doing, Like as they're dating. I think you have to hold two things at once. You have to hold that you are present and you are moving forward, and you are being vulnerable and you are trusting that the scenario is going to unfold in a good way. But you have to also know that you are strong enough to withstand other information when it's revealed and do something about it. So not project the negative, not be afraid of the negative, Like be positive, be optimistic, but know that that can come from a sort of resonating strength that is within you. And I think holding both of those things at once gives you the best opportunity to find and curate a positive relationship. You know, I think Susan, if I'm looking at Susan, I don't know that she is so strong. I think that she, you know, is quite braill and fragile and probably leans on Julie too much. And you know, I feel like one more relationship goes wrong and she's going to end up, you know, like falling to pieces and and that's not a good place to begin a relationship from. If I were Susan's therapist, That's what I would say.
Speaker 5: And speaking of like we're again, we're kind of talking about therapy and religions as places to turn to for when we were having these big questions. So I think we have to talk about another. He asked the moment in this episode, which is when Gabrielle and Father Crowley are in the hospital room and she says, what I want is to be happy, and he says, that's the answer of a selfish child.
Speaker 7: And I imagine we all kind of gasped at that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did, I did.
Speaker 3: I mean I had two moments I gasped that with Gabby in this episode. One was her saying we're not negotiating my uterus to Carlos, who.
Speaker 4: Has starting timely.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, so timely, which is crazy that twenty years later, this twenty one years later, this is arguably more timely than ever. But jumping to the father Crowley conversation, I really was taken aback by this as well, because I felt vehemently in my body. I was like, I disagree, I disagree with this. I do not think that being happy is selfish, And I actually think it's the story that we tell ourselves that doing things that make us happy in our life makes us selfish.
Speaker 2: That can lead to a lot of shame. I think that we are on this.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's interesting because we could get into religion, and if either of you are religious, or if you believe in more traditional ideas of religion, I personally don't. I fall on much more of a generally spiritual side of things, where I believe that it is a miracle to be in a human body and to have the universe align that we get to be alive in this moment and experience the world in this tangible way. And I think a part of the great gift of being alive is that you are entitled to enjoy your life, like you are titled to be happy in your life. And I think so much of the suffering in the world comes from figures of authority like Father Crowley telling people that it is selfish to be happy, and I kind of think, frankly, that's bullshit.
Speaker 6: I agree that moment really struck me as a as not a good message, you know, coming from somebody in authority. Yeah, I agree with everything you said. It is so interesting, isn't it. Like it's so much of our suffering comes from our own stories, our own self like we do it to ourselves, we do it to each other, and I guess it probably leads back to power, people in power, people who want control, people making rules. I mean, and these are all things that are.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, you can totally see how a priest telling a young beautiful woman that being happy makes her selfish and instead she should do whatever he's going to say she should do is like, uh, hello.
Speaker 2: I see the control happening here.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, which, and I guess, like, I think the other line you brought up in this episode, Emerson, where Carlos has said in front of Brion Rex that they are going to start trying to have children, and Gabrielle's like, no, we're not, and we had already talked about this prior to getting married, like you knew that I don't feel that way, And that leads to the button of her saying, well, my you know, my uterus is not up for negotiation, man. Yeah, I mean, here we are in twenty twenty five, where our uteruses are very much up for negotiation evidently. And yeah, it struck me that this show remains timely unfortunately sometimes and fortunately in others, you know what, But again, like, wow, what a bold and brave episode this was. I really think it's a really cool one just to hone in on specifically as we're rewatching, I feel like this is going to stand out as a really specifically the important episode.
Speaker 3: I think another thing another storyline that I loved in this episode that I just do think is obviously worth talking about because then it coalesces with the storyline of Mike and Susan finally sleeping together.
Speaker 2: Which I do want to hear about, Mom, if you have any memories, yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay, But is obviously is Paul realizing that the stationary is not actually Edie's stationary. And I love the kind of odd couple dynamic between Edie and Martha Hooper where she's like, oh, yeah, we steal each other's stuff, and you come to realize that the note was actually Martha's and not and.
Speaker 7: She refers to her in this episode as her best friend.
Speaker 3: I know, which is is very complex and dad. And then we have Paul going over to I don't think he necessarily goes over with the intent of killing Martha Hobber. I think he is over to get answers and then gets angry and in a and I'm kind of curious what you think if there really is such a thing as a crime of passion and if that is an excuse for committing a heinous act, because I don't think it is an excuse, but I do think it can happen, and we see it happen here, and you already pointed this out, Mom, But the poetic irony of him killing her with a very blender that she takes from Mary Alice in the pilot when she realizes that Mary Alice is dead and she takes her name off of that blender.
Speaker 2: Is fantastic.
Speaker 3: But I feel like, I it was just very interesting to me how there was the real lot of this episode, like ramping up alongside all of these more emotional themes and.
Speaker 2: What were you gonna say?
Speaker 6: I feel I was gonna say, there are consequences to every action, and you know, if Martha hadn't stolen the blender, it wouldn't have been there for her to be killed with. And it just wow, right, and it just makes me also think, you know, like the consequences. I think Bree's son Andrew is very disappointingly behaving with his consequences of having run over one Ita, Like he seems to be like, oh, I'm bummed out. I have to ride my bike now, like driving the car.
Speaker 3: Driving the car by the way that Rex got him as a kind of like bribe apology for the marital problems with brit.
Speaker 5: Right by trying to buy his loyalty and his love.
Speaker 6: I want to go back a little bit, just personally, like for anybody who's ever had their child drive like it, driving people underestimate. I mean, it's just a very serious responsibility. Like it's kind of crazy that we let sixteen year olds do it, like like like right, it actually is kind of crazy. I understand it. But when you think about the cognitive ability that somebody at sixteen has and more importantly doesn't have, and that we're giving them this weapon really for all intentsive purposes, that to use at their discretion, it's actually kind of crazy to me. But when Emerson was first learning to drive, and I I guess no idea, there's more about me than it does about you. But so she went to school quite far from our house, and for all of her school life, her father and I you know, would would drive her there and.
Speaker 2: All three freeway tracks.
Speaker 6: There was like an episode of the Californians on Saturday Night Live. It was like you got to take the five to the one seventy to the two ten to the one eighteen, you know.
Speaker 4: What a valley girl.
Speaker 7: So when she was.
Speaker 6: Finally doing that on her own, I chose to follow her to school on the freeway.
Speaker 7: So like you tail tailed, I tailed her the whole way.
Speaker 2: And then I and then she would give me.
Speaker 3: A report of how well or badly I done the drive.
Speaker 2: I mean, granted, I think you all needed this, like I did.
Speaker 6: I just did a handful of times, and I'm sure it was more for me, but you know it, the first couple of times, I was like, I think you could have turned your blinker on sooner. I think you could have made that lane change a little sooner so that you weren't quite so close to the exit, you know.
Speaker 7: I just and I actually thought, like, I don't know that this is.
Speaker 6: A bad idea because you don't really know how you're driving from sitting in the car and like having somebody observe your driving and try to give you like constructive criticism on what you did well and what you didn't do well. But anyway, yeah, I was I've never heard of any other whack adoodle mother doing that that I did.
Speaker 4: Emerson.
Speaker 5: Now you have your mom to thank for all of the discounts you're going to from your insurance company forever, because you're going to get that good driver discount.
Speaker 4: It's true, Mom's in real time. How's my driving feedback?
Speaker 3: I really do think I pride myself on being a pretty good driver, but you're right, it is. It is a huge responsibility thinking about Andrew driving this car, and of course he's driving the car inebriated, but driving in any type of emotional state, even if you haven't been drinking or doing any types of drugs, it is a huge responsibility to get behind the wheel that I think we become just totally numb too, because we do it every day. And I often think when I'm on the freeway even now, still to this day, I think of this thing that my dad said to me, which if anyone is teaching their kids how to drive and they're following them the way that my mom was, you can take this piece of parenting driving advice as well. My dad said to me when I was driving on the freeway, he was like, you just need to think if your car is going sixty five miles an hour, seventy miles an hour down the freeway. All of the organs in your body are hurdling through space at that velocity.
Speaker 2: Too, and it's my mom is like cracking up, dying No.
Speaker 3: But I gotta say, there's something incredibly arresting about thinking about like your fragile heart and brain, brain and lungs like hurdling through space at seventy miles an hour and makes I sometimes do think about it, and I get a little tripped out, and I'm like, oh, I gotta be careful. I don't want to abruptly stop all of my organs hurdling.
Speaker 4: But I have too funny. I have two funny memories coming to.
Speaker 5: Me that I had experienced on Desperate Housewives, because of course I learned to drive at some point.
Speaker 4: During my journey on the show.
Speaker 5: And one is I remember driving a golf cart before ever driving a real car, because we would have to drive the golf cart, you know, we didn't usually drive the golf cart to go from our base camper.
Speaker 2: Feel empowered?
Speaker 4: Were you like?
Speaker 2: Was it fun?
Speaker 7: I think I was so white knuckling that steering.
Speaker 5: Wheel that I don't know if I got to enjoy it at all.
Speaker 4: But another one is that In a later season, I Julie goes through a.
Speaker 5: Car wash, and there's this scene where she goes through a car wash.
Speaker 7: And I remember having to drive the car.
Speaker 4: It was one of those car washes where you have to hook your.
Speaker 5: Wheels into and I was a new driver and I would struggle with that now sometimes lining that up correctly and getting pulled through.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And I was terrified.
Speaker 5: And I think I embarrassed myself in front of the entire crew trying to get that thing in those wheels in the right way.
Speaker 4: I loved you.
Speaker 6: You did not embarrass yourself. The crew loved you. I'm sure everyone was on your side.
Speaker 4: That's I'm sure they were already.
Speaker 3: You learned to.
Speaker 4: Drive during that show.
Speaker 6: God, that you grew up during this is just insane, you know, circling back to how you started the whole thing about, you know, wanting to have a plan, and that's when people looking towards religion for that. It is really I think that is really true that people struggle with not having the answers to big things, and I think hard I think it would be. It's so good to work on in yourself your comfort with the not knowing, because the truth is you are never in control, and you will never know even when you think you do, you know, like you still don't.
Speaker 3: We're all on this planet with our organs just hurtling through me.
Speaker 6: Why to keep my little organs tucked away in my little ripage?
Speaker 5: And I know I keep baking about thinking my child and my body. I'm like, well, you're going to stay in there a little bit long, younger than because the idea of really listening to you talk about driving behind Emerson to school, Like, I totally understand how that would make you feel a little bit more sense of control, even though it's maybe false, but it gives you some It's so scary and vulnerable to be, like, hey, go out into the world and be and be vulnerable to others, you know, others actions. And so now I just think that I'm going to stay pregnant forever.
Speaker 3: Oh wait, jumping back to what you were saying, Mom. In terms of people turn to religion, they turn to these widely read books such as the Bible or you know what, to try to have an idea of this. There could be a blueprint in the absence of that, I feel like the three of us are kind of agreeing that we are not necessarily like religious people in that sense of our life getting meaning from an organized religion. What tools do you feel like you, both of you, either of you carry with you to help you have the world feel like less of a random and chaotic place.
Speaker 6: Now that's I'm not sure that I do think that the world is less random and chaotic like I think part of the giving over to having a sense of peace with it all is that I lean into understanding that I don't have control and trying to find my own comfort in that, and then just being really present with gratitude for what is, and also responsibility for what I can do, you know, for the things that I can control and can do. And I think that's what helps me. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I'm going to have to keep thinking about that.
Speaker 5: I think for me, I am trying to be better at paying attention to my body cues than.
Speaker 7: My brain cues always, because.
Speaker 5: I do think there's a lot of truth in the instincts we feel in life, and my brain will sometimes work over time to convince me of something when my body's kind of already told me what I need to know, But I don't necessarily pay attention.
Speaker 4: To that the same way, and so.
Speaker 5: I think that's a tool I could continue to work on that I'm certainly experiencing more of in pregnancy, is listening to my body and trusting what it's trying to tell me or signal to me, and quieting my brain a little bit.
Speaker 6: I think also, you know, I'm not interested in ruminating on questions that can't be answered, you know, And this is my thing about religion, Like Ricky Gervais has a couple of great comedic lines that he's said.
Speaker 4: Over the years about this, but like.
Speaker 6: I can't know that there isn't a god, and you can't know that there is one, Like I'm not more right or less right, and I just feel like it makes it a non starter. Like I feel like there's so many non starters that people kind of get hung up fighting about. Like, if it serves you to create beliefs that are working for you to have a happy, positive life, then that's great. Like our behaviors do come from our beliefs, but our beliefs aren't necessarily the truth. They aren't necessarily facts, they are beliefs. And so if you recognize that beliefs you have aren't leading you towards a happy, productive life, then maybe change your beliefs, you know, And so I think that's really well Son, Well it felt a little spongy, I know by the way that I'm going to miss Missus Hooper. I think that was maybe a mistake in hindsight, I don't I wonder. I can't wait till we get to talk to a writer on this show, because I wonder who made that decision and why.
Speaker 4: But it felt early.
Speaker 3: It felt it was just too good to cut between the smashing in the head and the banging against the wall sexually.
Speaker 6: It was just Susan getting banged and missus Uber getten banged at the same time.
Speaker 5: Wow, yeah, exactly totally though, rip Missus Huber.
Speaker 7: Really yeah, I.
Speaker 6: Just loved I wanted to know more about her, Like I don't think I was ready for her to be gone.
Speaker 5: Maybe will continue, Yeah, maybe we'll continue to learn more and more through through the brilliant use.
Speaker 7: Of flashback, which desperhasfe likes to do.
Speaker 4: And to end on sex.
Speaker 6: You asked Emerson what I remembered about the making out stuff with Mike and Susan towards the end, and the truth is not a lot. You know, I feel like, oh come on, no, okay, Like Jamie and I really like each other. There is some innate chemistry there for sure, also a ton of respect.
Speaker 2: It's so weird to shoot.
Speaker 6: Those kinds of scenes because there's uh, you know, crew and lighting and you know, it's it's it's the opposite of sexy, if that's what you think. And and for me, I look at it, it was hard for me to think that I seemed sexy. Like I don't know, I feel.
Speaker 4: Like, well you do, well, all right.
Speaker 6: I love that I have both of you echoing in that I that I am I am sexy or that I was. I don't know. It's just it's something that's so shut down in me. I just it's hard for me. It's hard for me to perceive it that way.
Speaker 3: But I think, I mean, as a storyteller, I also just think the scenario whenever there's long built tension and a character lets themselves have what they want, that's the sexiest thing ever.
Speaker 5: And no, Father Prowley, that is not selfish.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's the point of being alive on this random.
Speaker 2: Planet is to have it you want and enjoy it.
Speaker 6: Okay, So those are great parting words, have what you want and enjoy it and don't feel selfish about it. So with that, go have what you want, and then come back next week and tell us all about it, and share it with your friends and.
Speaker 2: Be honest with them.
Speaker 6: Well, I'm desperately desperately devoted to hearing how everybody takes care of themselves this week, and we will be here next week.
Speaker 1: So join it because, as always, we are desperately devoted to you.
Speaker 3: M m hm