Speaker 1: Also media, Welcome to it could happen here, a podcast coming to you from a country ruled by nine unelected dipshits and hideous costumes. You can at a whim destroy your life. I'm your host. Be along with me. As Jim stout him, I'm excited to hear about the Supreme Council or whatever they called. It's like the Jedi Council. God, it's it's a problematic comparison in a lot of ways, but like, the thing I immediately think of is the extent is like like Iran, Like I don't like you do not like right, But Iran gets so much shit for having the Surer Council, right, which is like this council that's like above their parliament, above their president, and it can make a bunch of decisions as a bunch of power. It's like, we also have a Surer Council, except instead of protecting the Islamic Revolution, it's designed to protect like the ideology of a bunch of right wingers from Harvard. And it's like, well this is great for sure, Like yes, yeah, we we have a group of elected, half dead people whose entire thing is to protect like capital and specifically the theft of land from indigenous people.
Speaker 2: Is that the thing that that they love to do.
Speaker 1: And again to defend a round here, like we did this first, Like this is like that one. We'll get ever clipped out and used in other context. That's great.
Speaker 2: We kind of pioted this right, like we were. We were trying to trying to like take the give monarchism a soft landing, you know, so we we had some other unelected half dead people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this has the results of this have been disastrous and are widely regarded by everyone as a disaster. So we're gonna be talking about a few cases that Supreme Court is going to do, and also we're going to be talking about the Streme Court and how it relates to sort of liberal what I guess I would call sort of liberal NGO, a sort of progressive NGO political and legal strategy because as all of that stuff needs to be thrown out the window immediately and it hasn't been. Yeah, So all right, let's just start with Texas Bill four, a very basically just like a turbo fascism bill that lets Texas police racially profile someone and go, I think this person's here legally and immediately arrest them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, crucially, it's it's I think right, like yeah, so it's like again, we are giving the Texas police, like the heroes who ran away from Uvaldi, We are giving them the power to go this person isn't white.
Speaker 1: I think they're here legally, I can arrest them. And then if they do, arrest some one who's undocumented. There's the basically the way it works. It so it's it's it's it sets up a series of like criminal penalties like prison time. I think if if you repeat offender, you get a felony. But mostly what it does is it less a judge immediately just support them. Now, yeah, this is, to use a tech term, obviously insanely illegal, like constitutionally like it is. The Constitution is very clear that that immigration is is, you know, constitutionally the purview of the federal government. It's very funny reading like Scotus Blog because people have to sort of pretend that like people are making real legal arguments here. Yeah, it's like when when Donald Trump is ever like we're we're looking at Donald Trump's policies next week spoiler alert. But like I've been writing about his proposed immigration policies and you have to be like, no, this shit's just fucking it's not legal. It's just not like, yeah, some crackpot old dude who thinks the fringe is on the flag mean that you're under arbraltry law, that he's got a fucking argument, but he's wrong, Like this is ready to illegal shit. Yeah, and so so this bill was supposed to go into effect. There's a whole series of very convoluted court battles over it, and this real court was just like, yeah, this can go into effect, and this until basically until the case goes on, and then it is eventually didn't go into effect because another another federal court was like, obviously this is insane. We can't let this go into effect. What the fuck are you guys talking about? And like this this bill, the legal justification for this is batshit. It's so okay. They're trying to invoke the state war Clause, which is this is this really like old timey law. Okay. So the thing the thing about like the seventeen hundreds, in the eighteen hundreds is that it takes a significant amount of time to get people from I don't know, you're you're drawing your like border militia from Kentucky and you're you're moving it to Texas, right, That takes a lot of time. And so basically it was like, okay, so if you're Texas and you're getting attacked by someone, you're supposed to be able to use your own troops to defend it. You're supposed to be able to like sort of semi autonomously run your own defense policy, right, And that was supposed to be a thing to let to allow states to like you know, use their militia to do stuff before like federal troops got there. Abbott is arguing that people crossing the border from Mexico is an invasion and that this allows him to like legally allows him to start doing this stuff. And this is like, it's it's funny because you can even see that the Biden administration people being like, you've got to be fucking kidding me, because like obviously, like I mean, it's not like Biden doesn't want to murder people coming over the border. But you know, Biden's people are like, well, okay, like, no, obviously this is not a war, right, I mean just a no in fact, the war we're talking about.
Speaker 2: No, Yeah, I mean that that was kind of always the obvious endpoint with this of invasion military males rhetoric, right was like okay.
Speaker 1: Well we better shoot them all like that. That was clearly what they were shooting for. Yeah, and it's it's really it's gotten really, it's gotten really really great and it's got you know again, it's it's literally getting to this point where they're trying to argue that there is a physical war going on and you read these articles about it, and the press will be like, well, they're saying this because like people are crossing the border and like there's cartels. It's like, what the fuck are you talking about? This has nothing, like, this is nothing. This is literally nonsense. Like it is. They are pointing at the sky and going the sky is orange, and the press is going, well, if you like, if you stare directly into the sun and then blink, it looks like maybe the sky is a little bit or just like, what the fuck are you people doing? It's it's it's genuay at least, it's some of the worst shatalistic about practice I've ever seen. You see this like every single time trying to do this sort of like ah, balance, it's like, no, there's no actual sort of balance here. But on the other hand, this doesn't matter because the Supreme Court was just like, yeah, this can go into effect, right, And like the other thing you'll see, like I guess this is more in the Trump era, right, was like you'd see someone Trump would do a thing and everyone rather than just being like if this one's fucking illegal, everyone, can we just wrap this up? Seth Aberton would write seventy five thousand tweets about how like it was going to result, and people began to have this belief that like the fucking Supreme Court was made up of like magical rainbow unicorns who were gonna sweep in and save us all from fascism, Like these are the same people who are hanging out with the guys who had the like fascist statues and yeah, taking massive kickbags. Like it's just I know it, none of this legality stuff. I guess, No, it doesn't matter, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: It's a problem, yeah, And like I think this is something that you were hint to get earlier, but like it shouldn't factor in our organizing, Like I see so many people pin so much hope on ex court case or why court case, like, institutions created by people who owned other human beings are not going to fucking save us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, there's something that the right has actually, i think understood it very well, partially in the way that they've they've been able to sort of institutionally capture huge portions of the court system, and because they understand that the law is fucking meaningless and you know, it's it's you can and you can just tell the cops to do whatever the fuck you want. One of the strategies they've been using has, like if specifically, to get this bill through, is by just having judges issue like temporary injunctions and other injunctions to like allow them to go into effect, but then you know, with the intention of just never letting them expire. Right, So what you're getting basically is just judges implementing policy by FIA by continuously going, oh, well, this can go, this can go because we're giving like a where we're you know, we're on like our thirty eighth one month injunction and you know, and this is the thing that like the Biden administration's plan to deal with this is to be like, well, you shouldn't be able to do that, but like, how are you going to stop them? Right? The court system is set up in such a way that these people are just feudal lords. They're almost completely autonomous. The only people who can over rule them are the people above them. But the problem there too, and this is like the Republicans have been using very effectively, is that it takes time for a court above it to, you know, just to overrule the like insane thing the court below them is doing. And if the cort below them is just constantly churning out just nonsense over and over again, then they can just do whatever the fuck they want. Because even if the court above them actually did want to do something about this, which in a very rare cases sometimes happens, they literally can't because they've just been you know, because they're just sort of swamped by all of this just absolute bullshit that's being thrown out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you take a case which just to not make this like a partisan thing, if you take a case in which, like the Supreme Court might line up with the I guess a lot of Republican positions was a position that many people listening to this podcast might take. For instance, California's gun laws. Right, California passes so many fucking gun laws so often that the time that it takes for even if they are like contravening something like the Brewin decision, right or the spirit of the Brewing decision, it takes so long for them to pass all the way up and maybe eventually go to Supreme Court, maybe not right, that that in effect California can do things which seem like the Supreme Court would say they were unconstitutional. It doesn't really matter because they can still do them right. And with the go go to the Night Circuit in California, you can make decisions that affirm those in and like it doesn't matter, It doesn't matter what's constitutional or more importantly, like what's just.
Speaker 1: If you look if you're looking for the justices for justice who are looking in the wrong place. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: And when it comes to border stuff, I guess before that me is talking about like that kills people, you know, like like and some of the most desperate people on earth. Like I've been to the border in Texas. You know you're not swimming across that river because you think you might get a PlayStation five when you get to the other side, Like it's fucking dangerous, and the journey.
Speaker 1: To get there.
Speaker 2: People who tend to come across the land border to Texas or of want to, like migros, ain't fucking stupid. They have access to all the same news and information that you do. They have smartphones that might be a little bit older, but they can still read shit, and that they know that the ninth Circuit is kinder, so that if they have the money, they will come to California. For some people end up in California without very much money. We've seen that a lot with African migrants in Tichuina, But like a lot of the people going to Texas, it's because that's the land route walking north and they don't have the finances to go anywhere else. And those people are extremely like they're like there are any number of reasons why they have a legitimate right to asylum or just a right not to be fucking profiled, or like any other person of kind of living in Texas has a basic right note to be profiled, and demonizing those people is being used like a trojan horse just to do straight up racism law.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then and meanwhile, like you know, you have fucking Clarence Thomas, who's sitting there, who has gotten more kickbacks than every single one who who's crossed the border of their total wealth combined, is just sitting there being like, nah, fuck you, it's legal to throw these people into the chainsaw, like it's fine. Yeah, exactly, Like, I don't really know how people maintain their faith in a system which holds this dude completely unaccountable for very obviously being bent like bent is in corrupt. I'm not using a homophobic slur. No, this is the way that's a homophobe. Yeah, I think it's really a British English wild Yeah, I've never heard of either of those. I really.
Speaker 2: Okay, welcome to the podcast where I say British things and Ian bleeps some of them out.
Speaker 1: Do you know what else says British things that occasionally has some of them bleed it out. It's chump a casino presented by wankers, and we're back from whatever insane gat We should at some point do an episode about the gambling law changes. I'm sure that'll be fine with Yeah, go down. Well great, Oh boy, so we're there are some other so okay, so the Texas centup Bill four case is coming in sort of like mid late April, which is now this month, by the way, which is nuts great, it's not. There are a couple of other cases coming down the pipeline that we wanted to talk about because so obviously the Streame Court you know, has directly already done stuff with s before, but the lass there's still still in the processure to lawsuit. There's also a case about MEPhI prestone, which is in a border factor, which is, you know, one of the ways that if you are you're in a place where it is illegal for you to normally get a this is a way you can do it. So okay. The basis of this case is that in twenty sixteen twenty twenty one, the FDA did one of the few good things it's ever done, and there were some sort of changes to legal classifications around for pristone that allowed you to get it, not allowed you to get it without having to get it directly prescribed by a doctor, so you know, you could have the rest practitioners do it. And also it was a thing that didn't work like you can get it over the counter like it was. It was not a thing that suddenly that requires an enormous amount of sort of doctor bullshit, and it also used to require physical visits, so you'd have to go find a doctor in another state and get into priority to you. And so that all went away. You were able to get it through telemedicine and immediately basically after I get I guess probably the peak of the Republican counter revolution in the last four years, where they destroyed the national well, they destroyed the tatted remains of ROW. A bunch of like deranged right wing groups set about to get messapristone bands and so basically what they're trying to do is overturn. They're trying to get its approval by the FDA overturn, and also they approval for the generic version of it overturned, right, And this is the whole strategy here is very weird because okay, so this is a one of the things about the US and part of the reason all of this court stuff is so weird because of the structure of the sort of regional autonomy. Off the courts. You can basically just do court shopping. You can go find some like guy who's basically a feudal baron in Texas and be like, hey, you hate abortion, Like here write some piece of paper that says this is legal. Now. So there have been a series of sort of battles over different levels of courts, you know, like approving or disapproving some things. This is actually this is one of these cases that's actually so obviously it's the immediate consequence here is if the Supreme Court decides that you can ban this, it's going to get really, really fucking bad for a lot of people. But this is also a case stuff feeds into another trend that's been happening, which is the Republicans attempting to use the court system to just completely annihilate the federal bureaucracy. Because the other thing that's at stake here and this is you know, obviously the people's access to getting abortions is the most important part of it. The subsequent less important part of it is that right now there is a eight there are national standards for for prescriptions, right there's unified national like the FDA is unified national standards for sort of food safety and like, and if this gets knocked out, that's like gone, yeah, And so suddenly large massive parts, i mean, like courts having the ability to just sort of go in and nuke like FDA approvals for stuff, right, or states being able to like this is going to rip like tear, like tearing the fucking guts out of the entire American sort of like legal bureaucracy. It's it's coming apart, Yeah, it's yeah.
Speaker 2: And the they're like the medical you know, your access to medicines that someone else doesn't want you to have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is one of these cases that has you know, there's there's sort of two elements at work here, right, there's there there's there's there's the there's the immediate, like Republicans are trying to ban every single way you can possibly get an abortion to force people to have kids because this is you know, this is part of their sort of reactionary ideology. And then there's the other part of it, where there's been there's been a few other cases like this too. One of the one of the things that looks like that they're trying to do is get we're gonna I'm gonna do a full upside about this at some point when I can get a good labor lawyer to talk about it. But they're trying to overturn the National Labor Relations Act, which is the act that basically sets up the right to unionization and the whole the whole process of how how labor mediation works. And I mean then there there's other ones where I mean, like really substantively enormous parts of the American sort of the American state are just being torn apart in ways that are specifically designed to just allow corporations and these like fiefdom judges to have effectively unlimited political power.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know's it's a fucking bleak, Like it's I mean, it's also predictable, right, Like it's kind of the nature of the state, and it's the nature of these people to want to take away Like the state ultimately is not there to protect you, It's there to protect capital. And like it's a failure of our organizing when when we keep going back to the state and asking it to do something that fundamentally has no interest in doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this is really a substantive issue with you know, I remember this, this was the ACOU strategy under Trump. I've talked about this the show before. The issue U strategy under Trump was to go to the courts and win there. I mean, this is this has been the sort of what the political strategy getting back to sort of the civil rights era, and that's it's you can't do this anymore because it doesn't It doesn't even like whether or not you are correct, like like legally correct about a thing, right, which used to be what this was just sort of hinged on and whether you could convince justic this like this doesn't matter anymore, like they've you know, like if if you if you read the ruling on on like if you actually go through and read the ruling that overturned road View Wade right, like the league the legal logic in there is deranged. It's just like, yeah, we didn't have this X number of years ago, so fuck it, like you can't do this now. It's like this is this is nonsense, but it doesn't matter because the the the actual weight of the law is not is not you know, a sort of like series of debates about like logic or about the efficacy or the meaning of texts. It's just about who has the power to point guns at people? And the answer is you don't have that you, you, dear listener, do not have that power. Okay, do you know who else is going to destroy the American federal bureaucracy. Oh, yes, yes, I do. Mayeah. It's it's a product and services to support this podcast, and we are back for more hookers. So we want going to talk about one more case, which is grap Pass versus Johnson, which is a case to decide whether or not you can make it illegal to be homeless. Yeah, yeah, talking pointing guns at people.
Speaker 2: This one's about pointing guns at homeless people, which is great, great good. So this is one I've been following a little bit just because one thing that tok Kloya loves to do is criminalize poverty. And I happen to, unfortunately live in a city of which he is met in San Diego. We have seen, like it's all the things they told your Republicans would do our Democrat Mayorge doing. And what the Grants Pass versus a Johnson case is about. It's a city of Grant's Pass, which I guess is a place in Oregon, and it's whether they can criminalize sleeping on the street if there are no safe shelter beds available. So that the idea here being that like again, like this is one has to understand that I'm speaking from the logic of the state when I try and explain this, like that if there is a shelter bed to go to, they can compel you to go to it with threat of prosecution, right or criminalization. But if there is not a shelter bad to go to, then like you're not somehow your culpability changes, right, Like like you're you're not refusing to take shelter. There is no shelter for you to take. And so Grant's past is obviously trying to criminalize people even when they're a shelter beds available. Now, what's interesting about grants pass is that not the place to the court case. What's interesting about the court case is that you'll see these big liberal cities filing amicus briefs amaricus. It literally means it's from amicus curie a friend of the court, right, which they can do in favor of either side. San Diego, Los Angeles, other large democratic cities, I'm sure all filing briefs in favor of criminalizing living on the street even when there are not shelter beds available. Now, if we look at the San Diego context specifically, one of the questions which will come up in this case is what is a shafe shelter bed. So what San Diego likes to do currently is put people into tents in parking lots where they often flood because San Diego is not designed to deal with rain, and because our city has completely failed to clear out storm drains, resulting in people losing their homes in this winter, right, and so some of these parking lots flood where people have lived are forced to live.
Speaker 1: These tents are not like, they're not even good tents. Actually they managed to buy this is remarkable. Actually, if you were buying a tent there can you think of any well, there's no way for me to phrase this. They bought fucking tents with slurs on the side. I don't know how you managed to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like the tents are quote Esquimo brand Jesus Christ. Yeah, it's it's it's it's incredible stuff Like it's I see. There was no way to be like, what would you be concerned about when buying a tent because a slur on the side would not have come up.
Speaker 1: I would not think about that. Why why would you why would there be slur Like, why would there be slurs on the side of your tent. Yeah, yeah, why were you doing here? How could you given the purchasing power of the third largest city in California, somehow elects to purchase a tent, which is racist.
Speaker 2: Like, I don't know, but that's why I am not a member of the San Diego Democrat Party. So one of the things it will come up is what constitutes a safe shelter in practice, Again, this doesn't matter hugely other than it's a Supreme Court giving a nod to local governments to further criminalize being on housed, to drive unhouse people further from services, further from site.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: In San Diego's case, that means into canyons, into rivers, rivers, flood canyons get extremely hot in the summer. More than one person every single day already dies on our streets here in an extremely wealthy and prosperous area of the world. This will make it worse because they will get that nod to continue criminalizing people rather than trying.
Speaker 1: To help them.
Speaker 2: In practice, what cities will do, including San Diego, is just hold back a few shelter beds to allow them to cite anyone. Right it practice, they're still going to cite people even if the demand for beds is much higher than the provision of beds. So like in that case, they will still continue to find it's not a workaround, but they think it is right that they can just criminalize being on housed in this fashion. But it it does, it represents like a nod from the top down right to go even harder after people who are too poor to make rent at a time when rent is less affordable than it has been in generations. And so like it's one to watch. It's one where like yet again you find like the Democrats, I guess, lining up on the right hand side of the issue, the right wing side of the issue, the state violence side of the issue. Right, and it will i'm sure, open up the door to more what they call camping bands, which is the euphemism again they are bands on being unhoused within city limits, right, And I think it's one to keep an eye on. But again, like I don't it's Clarence Thomas, the guy who goes to the billionaire's house with the racist statues and the Nazi statues, Like he's not the guy who's going to come in swinging for the person who has to sleep under the underpass because they can't make rent, you know, like.
Speaker 1: And like like if you if you think the fucking liberal justices are going to give a shit either, like, these are the these are the people whose fundamental political principles that the police have the right to. Like, Okay, there is a decision that I can't remember the fucking name of that was a it was it was, it was, it was. It should have been a very very basic you are guaranteed due process thing right under the Fourth Amendments and this, and in a nine o decision, the Supreme Court ruled that the the cops are allowed to violate people's due process because if they didn't do this, there couldn't be a functional police force in this country because this is how the police were doing all their fucking work. So if you think those people right, that was nine oh nine zero decision, that wasn't that was a fucking Ruth Bader Ginsburg special, Right, you mean those people are going to be like, oh, hey, damn, maybe maybe people who don't own property have rights like how no?
Speaker 2: Like yeah, like, look, when faced with a choice between like liberty and and and then the necessity of maintaining a state's capacity to do violence to anyone at any time. They chose the latter, right, And I guess, like, if I can get on my soapbox for a minute, like you need to stop expecting these people to come and save you, like specifically with reference to the fucking Grant Past case, Like the person who is going to stop your un house neighbor dying is you. It's not an NGO, it's not the city, it's not the county, it's not the feds. Those people fundamentally that they're the incentive is not for them to care. Like your incentives as a person who shares humanity with that person is to care and to do something. And like, yeah, I guess, like, don't wait, take the time you would have spent reading about a fucking Supreme Court case and make sandwiches and go hand them out, because that is the only way we solve this.
Speaker 1: And I think that's as good a place as I need to stop. Yeah, this is beeniking up here. It could happen here as a production of cool Zone Media. Podcasts from cool Zone Media, Visit our website cool zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts you can find sources for It could happen here. Updated monthly at coolzonemedia dot com slash sources. Thanks for listening,