Speaker 1: You can watch the original episode we'll be discussing in every other episode of HBO's curbyw Enthusiasm, including the new and final season, on Max. You can also watch the video version of the History of Curby Enthusiasm podcast on Max and YouTube, as well.
Speaker 2: Links available in the episode description.
Speaker 3: Hi Jeff, Hi Susie, very much looking forward to the season five.
Speaker 2: You know it might be my favorite season of all of them.
Speaker 3: It's one of I know what you're saying, and these two episodes are sort of like they're not even a run up from the middle of the season on is amazing and maybe our favorite scene ever in the history of Kreb coming up.
Speaker 4: So here we are on season five, episode one, the Larry David Send Witch Yes, and it starts off with Larry's women in the ocean having a somewhat near death experience, having a near death experience.
Speaker 2: He's drowning and he stumbles onto the beach.
Speaker 3: I want to say, the drowning scene is very.
Speaker 4: Believable, very believable, shot beautifully and that must have not been fun to shoot for him.
Speaker 3: If there's a bigger sport that I've ever worked with in show business, I don't know them.
Speaker 4: Because you had a scene. Is it in this season? No, it's in a later season where you had to go into the ocean.
Speaker 2: I remember that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah with the statue of Well, I'm saying statue of Liberty because we filmed where Charlton Heston at the end of the Planet of the Apes looks up and says, no, you know, it's the statue of Liberty. God, but that's exactly where we filmed.
Speaker 2: Oh, I didn't know that right at point doom over there.
Speaker 3: You know who pointed out to me was David Bendell. Yeah, because he and I are freaks for that stupid shit. All right, keep going.
Speaker 4: So Larry's having his drowning and then he stumbles on to the beach and we hear him telling the story at a party and he's talking about that he had a near death experience and.
Speaker 5: Somewhere I'm not even I'm not religious at all, I said, God help me, and I'm deposited right right on the beach. I went swimming that day. For some reason, something drew me to the water.
Speaker 3: Why, I don't know.
Speaker 5: You know, sounds like like a baby drawn to the nipple, you know what I mean? You know, an adult drawn to the nipple get away?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: You know what I think is that divine intervention?
Speaker 4: Is that not divine intervention?
Speaker 2: I think I think this happened for a reason.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, I think so too.
Speaker 3: It happened for a reason.
Speaker 6: Now, maybe you'll start to be more respectful to people, treat people better, respectful to people, Larry whatever, I very.
Speaker 3: Nice to be.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was a divine intervention. And suddenly he's very spiritual. And we're sitting there, you and I are sitting with a bunch of other people extras listening to this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you're questioning. I don't think I say anything in that scene by choice, but you.
Speaker 2: I said, you know what, Larry, maybe this happened for a reason.
Speaker 4: Maybe you'll be more respectful of people in the future. And we do a toast to life, and then he's with you privately and he asks you about going to Temple for the high holidays, and the irony of course that we're recording this today on Russia Shana.
Speaker 2: Yeah, tonight it begins Russia Shana.
Speaker 7: That was for Russia Shana too, right, I think it was young Kapoor okay, and he wants to go to Temple and you tell him it's a tough ticket to get, but you're going to make some calls.
Speaker 4: And then he tells you that at Leo's Deli they have named a sandwich after him. There is the Larry David Sandwich. It's whitefish, sable, capers, onions, and cream cheese.
Speaker 2: And he says it's a disgusting sandwich. I think it sounds good.
Speaker 3: The only thing that I wouldn't like and there is the capers.
Speaker 4: I'm not a cap I wouldn't like the onions, but that's kind of a no no.
Speaker 3: By the way. Also, I don't like onions, but I would let that live.
Speaker 2: But I love whitefish and I love sable.
Speaker 3: It's designed pre love making, so you're bloated.
Speaker 2: And have horrible breath.
Speaker 4: I don't think anything gives you worse bread than whitefish.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, well, sable, any of that stuff.
Speaker 2: But I love whitefish.
Speaker 3: If you're going to Barney greenngrass, you know, be prepared to go home and brush your teeth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for several hours and several days. But it's delicious. It's delicious. We love Barney Green Grass.
Speaker 3: But you'll be eating that type of stuff tonight.
Speaker 4: But Larry thinks it's a disgusting sandwich. When he says that, well, that's a taste thing. I don't think it's a disgusting sandwich. Then he's drinking coffee out of a little dainty little teacup with a dainty little handle, and he shows you the dainty little handle, and you walk away, and the kid bumps into Larry and he spills the coffee all over the place, and the kid then lies and says he didn't bump in, by.
Speaker 3: The way, perfect casting for that kid.
Speaker 2: That kid was terrific.
Speaker 3: I wanted to kill him. I know.
Speaker 2: He shows up later on and he was terrific later on as well.
Speaker 4: And then Larry wants to go, and I object to this because we car pulled with that.
Speaker 3: Carpooled, which is a very funny runner. I mean, I think even in that moment, if we didn't repeat it, that is just funny on its own, because that's a premise that I'm sure many people have gone through where you're the driving people you want to leave, other people don't want to leave. Well, now there's Uber.
Speaker 2: So now there's Uber.
Speaker 4: They didn't think Uber really changed my life living in La not so much New York because we always had cams everywhere. But in La Uber really changed my life that I didn't have to worry about driving everywhere.
Speaker 3: By the way, whenever I go to the comedy store or the improver of the laugh Factory, parking is such a pain in the ass that if I'm going to go do a set, i'd take an over.
Speaker 2: Take an Uber. It's not far from your house.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And also, you and I don't drink, so that's not an issue, but for drinkers it's a huge, huge thing.
Speaker 3: Don't drink, don't smoke. What do I do?
Speaker 2: You laugh?
Speaker 3: I laugh?
Speaker 4: I just woke up from a nap. Actually, I'm a little I'm a little bleary eyed. So then you know I'm upset with them that they leave whatever. And then we cut to Larry and Cheryl are having sex.
Speaker 2: Don't answer that.
Speaker 5: Actually that might be Jeff going about the temple.
Speaker 2: I don't care.
Speaker 5: No, this is kind of important though.
Speaker 2: Well I'll call back, No, really, just try and find out.
Speaker 8: Hello, Hey, hey, I made some calls, but no go on the tickets.
Speaker 5: Oh the bummer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm sorry.
Speaker 8: You know what, you can always try for a scalper.
Speaker 5: Really, they got scalper tickets they usually do.
Speaker 8: Huh yeah, expensive, I have no idea. All right, I'll get some scalper tickets, get some scalper ticket. I'll just go down there and try and get some. Yeah, okay, thanks.
Speaker 3: For I'll talk to you later. Well, let me say something here, okay, because I know what I know. No, I'm very uncomfortable with that scene. I wouldn't even be in the room. I just Larry and Cheryl having sex is like you and although we do do funny ones with you and.
Speaker 2: I as you're never serious.
Speaker 3: No, they're hilariously off. Anytime you and I have been together, it's funny, I think with normal circumstances, like they're making love and it's interrupted. I'm so uncomfortable with Larry and Cheryl making love.
Speaker 4: I understand. Yeah, it's not really a comedy premise. No, but this works for a reason because there's a reason why I can't to.
Speaker 3: It, which I get. But there's a little too much moaning for my time.
Speaker 2: Call me mister Timbs.
Speaker 3: By the way, the only time that I ever had sex was actually off camera with Catherine O'Hara. Oh yeah, we recorded that laundry room. But me standing in front of my one of my idols, true idols, moaning and fuck me fat man and all that fat boy as all that going back. No, it was it was like I was having fun shore so was she because there is nothing sexual.
Speaker 2: We're left and you were fully clothed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so nobody wants to see me having sex. I think a lot of.
Speaker 4: Women want to sit free or me, you know, And I have no interest in having sex with anyone on camera.
Speaker 3: Well no, why would you? But the point is, you know, every time Larry and I go out to dinner, although not now because he's married and people know it, but before he was married, we'd be at a restaurant in New York and he would go to the bathroom. This is This happened numerous times. He'd go to the restroom and then women would hand me his number, their number to give to him. I mean so much. So I know a lot of women have crushes on him.
Speaker 4: I once said a woman she waited for hours for me at the dressing room to give me a letter to give to Larry David.
Speaker 2: Okay, oh my own mind.
Speaker 4: And she just said to me she was very Jewish about his age, a little overweight, you know whatever.
Speaker 3: At end you're wearing two questions? Did she have a beard? And was she wearing an Abe Lincoln hat? And would you refer to her as a handsome woman?
Speaker 4: She was not unattractive, but there was not a handsome woman, but not an ugly woman.
Speaker 3: Because, by the way, not ugly, but unattractive women who really take care of themselves. Everyone calls them a handsome.
Speaker 2: One, handsome a handsome one.
Speaker 4: But anyway, she comes up to me and she says, can you please give this letter to Larry? And I just know that we're meant to be, It's just meant to be, that we're supposed to be together, and he's my soulmate and blah blah.
Speaker 2: Blah blah blah. And I said, horrible. I said, I will pass it along, and it's scary.
Speaker 4: Shit took the letter and I and it was like it was so nothing that Larry would ever be interested. You know, the worst comes to worse meet me for a knish.
Speaker 2: It was like so overly jewish.
Speaker 3: By the way, did you ever tell Larry?
Speaker 2: Yes, of course we laughed about it. Yeah, I sent him the letter.
Speaker 3: So then she was she wasn't scary.
Speaker 4: She wasn't scary, but she truly believed that they were meant to be together, and I just knew that there is no way he would ever be in the slightest interested in him. And what she thought he was is not who he was, you know, she has some idea of him. And then he would tell me how when he was doing Fish in the Dark, his Broadway play, they would wait for him at the stage door they was stage George Janey's instead of stage door Johnny's, and they would invite him for shopas dinner and all of this kind of stuff, and nothing would be less interesting to him than that anyway. So he's having sex with Cheryl and the phone rings. Now I don't know about you, but I agree with Cheryl on this one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: Oh no, no, no, it's not even up for discussion. This is for comedic purposes, of course. No, you don't answer phe And also that was a time like I don't have a hard line. Do you have a hard line in your house?
Speaker 4: I do, Okay, I have your line in my house because we have bad reception here cel research, okay, but.
Speaker 3: In the city, you don't have a heart line. Okay, that's all. So basically it's another time and by the way, as often as I can, my whole phone is silent. I don't know when I get a text, I don't know anything. I don't want to hear it. But also I'm apt to turn my ringer off quite often, which to lead the problems.
Speaker 4: Not only do I not allow Jimmy to answer the phone during sex, he's not allowed to answer it during dinner. I don't even want the phone on the fucking table what we're having dinner.
Speaker 3: That is completely correct. I'm with you, yes, be present.
Speaker 2: And by the way, this excuse is such a bullshit of excuse.
Speaker 4: He has to answer because it might be Jeff calling about the temple tickets, Like he couldn't talk to you about that twenty minutes later when they were done or an hour later. No, it's a bit goof anyway, So Larry says, it might be Jeff calling about the temple tickets. I have to answer, and it is Jeff calling about the temple tickets, and Jeff tells him no, go couldn't get the tickets.
Speaker 2: Try for a check a scalper, Try for a scalper.
Speaker 3: By the way, I think any funny Jewish comedian had that joke in.
Speaker 2: Their arsenal about a scalper.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because when it's sold out, Yam Kapoor. I used to make jokes about if there was a scalper out there right by the rabbi, right by the canter, and here we do it in the show. But I don't think the way Larry did it, I do think is original because he acts there actually was a scalper and how they negotiate.
Speaker 2: I never heard of a scalper for high hold.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, no, it's a joke, but I'm saying I thought of that that there should be a scalpers outside.
Speaker 2: So it doesn't really exist. It's never been temple.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure there's temple members who maybe sell it to other temple members or even for a profit. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Can you get it on stub Hub?
Speaker 3: I would not say stub hub, but Larry was the first one to actually play it out and it was hysterical.
Speaker 4: And what the other thing I noticed you mentioned hardline is that both you and Larry are in hard lines in that scene.
Speaker 3: Well, it's amazing how much the world has changed.
Speaker 2: That was two thousand and I think for six.
Speaker 3: So that's twenty years ago.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, and then Cheryl says, get off me, really nasty, and she's pissed, and Larry goes, oh, mustn't interrupt the sacred intercourse, the sacred intercourse and carries.
Speaker 3: On which, by the way, I love what he does.
Speaker 2: I love that stuff too. It's so funny. Yeah, it's so funny. And it's true.
Speaker 4: You know, there's especially when you're married, and it's not like you're just like every now and then you get to have sex.
Speaker 2: You can have sex whenever you want when you're married. That's the beauty of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So if you live alone, sure, but do you want to have sex all the time? If you do good for you? I'm a good two times a week.
Speaker 2: But that's not my point.
Speaker 4: Is him talking about the sacred intercourse?
Speaker 3: I know, I know that's funny though, Yeah, y, yes, you can do it anytime you want.
Speaker 2: Which takes away a little bit from it.
Speaker 4: Then we are, well, it takes a you know, it's something is always more exciting when it's not readily accessible.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, I'll make myself not readily.
Speaker 4: Yes, exactly, play hard to get Oh boy, we'll be right back.
Speaker 2: Stay tuned.
Speaker 4: Okay, we're back then, we are at Leo's Deli and he's there with Nat, not his father, Shelley Berman, who plays his father. And Nat loves the sandwich, loves the sandwich.
Speaker 2: This is some sandwich.
Speaker 4: And he tells him it's the first time he's really felled over him, which is a really sad thing to me that here's this man who created this, you know, the greatest sitcom in the history of television, and yet his father is first felling over him over a fucking whitefish sandwich. You know, he's proud, he's everything, and Larry doesn't like it, and Nats keeps on saying him, you mumble, you mumble.
Speaker 2: I can't understand.
Speaker 3: By the way, can I say something? Watching all these episodes, I'm in awe of Shelley's talent. He just dove into that character. He did, and he was that character. And that's not the way he talked off screen, you know, close but not. That wasn't it. And he also wore a piece a hair piece, you know. He told me that if the garbage man rang his bell, he'd goes. I'm so happy that he that he was on the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, he was perfect casting.
Speaker 3: I'll talk about it more later and then.
Speaker 4: Leo comes up. Leo is played by Edo Ross and Leo is a big guy and he gives Larry a big, big bear hug and he shakes.
Speaker 2: His hand and he hurts his hand. You like it?
Speaker 4: And Larry says, eh, in that Larry way, Eh, what does eh?
Speaker 2: And Larry's I'm not a big fish guy? Can I get up pastrami? And what about tongue? And he wants to switch with Ted Danson and Larry sits down. He says, that guy almost broke my hand with that shake.
Speaker 3: You don't whisper to me, please, I said, he.
Speaker 2: Almost broke my hand with that handshake.
Speaker 3: You know, a little time once in a while, if you're if you're pledging to people, what's the matter? Make a drink of water.
Speaker 2: And all of a sudden Nat is choking and we see something's wrong with him. It looks like he's having a stroke.
Speaker 4: And then we see the EMTs are there and Larry's gonna go follow the empts, but he runs back and grabs a huge handful of mintce.
Speaker 3: No, I don't understand what was all because of the sandwich, right, I Because when I was watching I was so confused. Why is he grabbing the.
Speaker 2: Mints because of the sandwich and his father's been wheeled out, So I'm a bit confused.
Speaker 3: He didn't eat the sandwich.
Speaker 2: I don't know, all right, It didn't make complete sense to me either.
Speaker 4: But part of it is that Leo sees him take the mince, because Leo started to get pissed at him. Yes, and he sees him take the mince. Then Larry is in the hospital. He's talking to the doctor. I forgot the actor who plays the doctor, but he was terrific. What's his name, Tina Louise, Tina Louise. And then the doctor tells him that his father had a mild stroke, but he's going to be fined.
Speaker 2: It will require some surgery.
Speaker 4: And Larry tells the doctor about the sandwich and that he can't stand the sandwich and he wants to know did the sandwich cause the stroke? And the doctor says it's possible if a little bit got stuck and he's choking, it could have raised his blood pressure and caused the stroke. And then the doctor tells Larry a big fan of Seinfeld and because he loves Larry so much and he's such a big fan, he's going to do the surgery himself, and he's also a golfer.
Speaker 2: We find out.
Speaker 3: That's when we fade out because we know what's coming.
Speaker 4: Of course, do do do? And then Larry is at NAT's bedside and he's complaining about the sandwich, and Larry's like, what stinks? So you want to mint? So maybe that's where the mints come in. The other thing is Jeff. You know, because this is so long ago, we don't always remember what might have been cut out that would have been explanatory.
Speaker 3: It wasn't bad in that season. Later seasons, to me, we had to cut. I think we could every episode add ten minutes, but I like cutting it down. But we could easily. There's ten minutes of really good story.
Speaker 2: Well, in later episodes, you know, they were much longer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm saying, yeah, this is still when it was.
Speaker 4: His early episodes were solid thirty later on that changed.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And then Matt is trying to speak and he's having difficulty and he calls Larry close.
Speaker 5: Sir, adopted, adopted.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I'm adopted to leave the room. Okay, okay, now okay, gonna have to leave. Now, let's go.
Speaker 3: I'm adopted come on.
Speaker 4: I was like, what what, I'm a doctor, I'm a doctor. I'm a I'm adopted. And then you see he's like getting thrilled.
Speaker 2: I'm adopted. I've adopted. And then the nurse tells him he has to leave, and Larry's giddy.
Speaker 4: He's running down the hallway I'm adopted, I'm adopted, which I think is such a funny scene. How happy he is to hear that he's Most people would be devastated to find it that were adopted. He was thrilled to find out he was adopted. And next he's with you. We're at a sitcom rehearsal. You and Larry are off stage and it's a sitcom rehearsal. TEDI is rehearsing a new pilot that he's shooting, and Larry is telling you he always suspected he had nothing in common with these people. The only thing he had in common with them was his penmanship, which I.
Speaker 3: Laughed when we filmed it. I'll tell you that much. I laugh.
Speaker 2: He does look like his father. I mean, you know, no, no.
Speaker 3: No, But for the purpose of the season, he thinks he's adopted, which is great.
Speaker 2: Yes, And Jeff says, maybe you're not adopted.
Speaker 4: He just lost oxygen because of the stroke and he didn't know what he was saying. And Larry's like, don't ruin this for me because he's so far away.
Speaker 3: Is the truth?
Speaker 2: Of course it's the truth?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 4: And also it's such a flimsy premise because he's not really sure he said he was a I mean, I love the storyline, but he's not really sure.
Speaker 3: Well, he has to investigated. He's hopeful's hopeful.
Speaker 2: He's so hopeful.
Speaker 4: He's so hopeful that these nutty people were not his parents, the mother with the tattoo on her ass and.
Speaker 3: That, you know, but come on, penmanship is what he is. The through line.
Speaker 2: Only Larry would think of that, well.
Speaker 3: Only Larry would think of a lot of things.
Speaker 4: And then Ted comes over and Larry can't shake his hand because his hand hurts, and then take complaints about the pilot and Larry tells him about the sandwich and.
Speaker 2: He's like, I'm on the board. I'm on the board.
Speaker 4: And then you know, we find out Ted doesn't go in there that often, and Larry's like, I'm not a fish guy.
Speaker 2: Would you like to switch? And he says, you know, I'm not a fish guy.
Speaker 4: I'd like to eat my own sandwich, and Ted says, yeah, yeah, of course I'll switch. Then he says, what's what's the sandwich?
Speaker 3: Just so if anyone asks me, what's in my new sandwich?
Speaker 5: Oh, okay, it's you got whitefish, you know, white fish, whitefish, whitefish and sable. What is sable?
Speaker 3: A fish? Whitefish? Smoke fish?
Speaker 5: Smoke fish? Yet you have two fish fish? Yeah, but they blend very well together. They're like Siamese twins, whitefish and sable. What else is in no condiments?
Speaker 3: Cream cheese?
Speaker 2: There's some cream cheese.
Speaker 3: It's tapers.
Speaker 5: There may be some capers.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure. If you don't like him, you can brush them off. That's not a big deal. Onions.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you're very funny in this scene.
Speaker 2: Very but in a very minimalistic way, very minimalistic.
Speaker 4: It's it's like this, it goes white fish, sable, two fishes, and then you're like cream cheese, capers, onions. You keep on it, making it worse and worse innocently.
Speaker 3: But capers and the worst. But what I I love And over the years it hasn't happened very much. And I think he even cut a scene in the hour special if I'm not mistaken, where he screams at me. He screams at me a couple of times in the show, and I always thought it was funny. He didn't like it. But when he gives me dirty looks, which didn't happen enough for me over the course of the show, I think it's hilarious when he's frustrated.
Speaker 4: And this is one scene and then Ted says that sounds awful, and Ted's his mine's Turkey coastlow Russian dressing.
Speaker 2: It's a classic, you know.
Speaker 4: Now it's herring and you had again Capers and onions like you're coulless, You're completely clueless to what's going on in this scene. AND's like it's not Harry and and Ted's like one tastes good, one sucks and he refuses to switch the sandwiches and again, you know, like Caper's and.
Speaker 2: It's very funny. Made me laugh. Next we are in Temple and the scalpers there. Who is Paul Ben Victor.
Speaker 3: Bu But he's a great actor.
Speaker 2: Great actor. He was in season two of The Wire.
Speaker 3: I was just about to say that that was the doc worker. One, yes, Yes, and my friend Chris Is in that episode, who I think played the foreman of the doc.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 4: Okay, actually not my favorite season of The Wire. I thought it went off the track there on that season. But I love Paul ben Victor. I think he's a terrific actor.
Speaker 3: And we will agree to disagree about that season of The Wire.
Speaker 2: He liked.
Speaker 3: No No, I like every season.
Speaker 2: Well, I love the show.
Speaker 3: Last season or the Wire was the one with the kids the school stuff.
Speaker 2: Well that's how I felt. I felt like it went off track.
Speaker 3: No no, but that wasn't actual for me. A perfect season like that was so moving and interesting. But every The Wire, by the way, I can honestly say my all time favorite team.
Speaker 4: And I would tell our viewers if you haven't seen it, watch it.
Speaker 2: It holds up, it holds up, brilliant.
Speaker 3: It's brilliant. I mean, thank God, David Simon, God bless you man. Great work.
Speaker 2: It stays with you that show. It's a very moving show.
Speaker 4: Okay, back to Paul ben Victor is playing the scalper in front of the Temple, which you know, it's just a funny concept and he was great playing the scalper.
Speaker 2: I thought he has got two seats, fabulous right down front.
Speaker 4: The canter will be spitting on you all over you six hundred for the two Larry says, I'll give you three hundred.
Speaker 2: Says I'll take it like really quickly. You got an incredible deal.
Speaker 4: And then the kid who lied about the coffee spilling from the first scene sees Larry buying the tickets from the scalper and gives Larry a dirty look. Cheryl, Jeff and I are standing in front of the temple and Cheryl does one of her guyish things that she does so beautiful, why buy tickets? She does it in the ski lift again, which I love what We'll get to that later on in the season.
Speaker 2: But she said, why would you bury a plate? She just asked it so innocently, like why buy tickets? She doesn't understand these Jews. What's so?
Speaker 3: By the way, I want to say, the bury the plate thing, I've never understood.
Speaker 2: Well, who understands that well?
Speaker 3: The Orthodox Orthodox Jews?
Speaker 4: But anyway, but just the way Cheryl, as the outsider, questions these things.
Speaker 3: I wonder if the grounds outside of an Orthodox Jews home has a lot of patches from where they buried in the grass from.
Speaker 2: I'll walk around the neighborhood and look.
Speaker 3: We do the burying the plate in the ski lift.
Speaker 4: That's the lift, yes, which is this season. But later on and then Larry thanks us for car pooling. Oh, Cheryl thanks us for car pooling. And Larry said he never expected me to get in a car in his car again because I was so pissed off from the party when he left. And I say to him, isn't there an uncle or an aunt who would know about the adoption? Isn't there somebody who could clarify this once and for all? And Larry says, they're all dead. But there was a nanny, Joanna Siderman, and Antoinette, his assistant, tracked her down and he wrote her a letter, and she would know about the adoption. Joanna Siderman. And you're like shocked that he had a nanny, which it's not doesn't make sense that he had a nanny.
Speaker 3: Didn't bother me at all, could have been for a couple of years whatever.
Speaker 2: But you say something about you had a nanny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Well that's my style of improvisation. Someone says something that's kind of a sorry, they're not going to get away with it. I'm gonna I love questioning. And by the way, my favorite person to question with the person who plays my game if you well about him, Frev who is actually ironically not on screen as Jeff Shaeffer.
Speaker 2: And let's tell people who Jeff Schaeffer is.
Speaker 3: Jeff Schaeffer is an executive producer on the show creatively, and he.
Speaker 4: Directs almost all of our episodes for the past few seasons.
Speaker 3: Yes, but by the way, as we've discussed, he truly holds the show together.
Speaker 2: He is our secret weapon. Yeah, he really is.
Speaker 3: Off camera, he plays with these things and he makes you laugh hard, brilliantly. I know, it's really wild. Yeah. I told him we should go to like the Largo and do something like.
Speaker 2: That and it would be fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's not interested.
Speaker 2: He's not a performer, he's a writer director.
Speaker 3: But he's certainly a funny dude.
Speaker 2: It's very funny.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we'll be right back, stay tuned. Okay, we're back, And then Larry says, do you pick up the phone during sex? No, you're having an intimate moment with your loved one, you know, And then we see in the background Lewis having a secret tete a tete with.
Speaker 2: Leo, the deli owner, and then a guy named Rob comes over.
Speaker 4: Larry can't shake and the scene always made me lip and Rob. I'm standing next to Larry and let Rob points to me and says, so this is your wife?
Speaker 2: No what?
Speaker 5: No, no, no, that's my wife. Hey, I'll see inside, okay inside?
Speaker 2: So is this your wife? And Larry says, no, no, no, it's not my wife.
Speaker 4: And I get pissed off at that for obvious reasons. It's a bit insulting. It's a bit insulting. And he's like, well, you look like al Capone. I'm wearing a fedora.
Speaker 3: But by the way, that began the Larry David commenting on my outfits. That was the very first time.
Speaker 2: I think, so no, no, no.
Speaker 3: No no. It was the bedazzled shirts from your Trust.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, but you were you wore one later on in that show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that would be the first time. This is the second time, okay.
Speaker 4: And then he says, let's go in and pray, and he says sorry Susie, which is a very rare event. Then we're in the temple and this singing and Larry cleans his glasses with his yamaka. Now, Jeff, I don't know if you recall, but we had a prop master at the time.
Speaker 3: For many seasons. He was a proud for.
Speaker 2: Many many seasons.
Speaker 4: Dork Clark, who what did he call the yamica your molky?
Speaker 2: Because something so not yamoka? What wasn't do you remember?
Speaker 3: Oh god no, but I do remember him saying something.
Speaker 2: Like a yar milky or something like that.
Speaker 3: I think it was your molky actually, to be honest with you, your molky. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And Louis is sitting to Rose ahead of Larry and he leans back in a loud whisper and says to Larry, how did you get that sandwich at?
Speaker 2: Larry says, Leo gave it to me. What did you bribe him with? And I go in five times a week?
Speaker 4: You only go in three times week And Larry says, I take stuff out.
Speaker 2: Louis says, I get delivery.
Speaker 4: You know this this one upping with this friendship, which is the most ridiculous thing.
Speaker 2: And Larry says, what were you talking to Leo about?
Speaker 4: And Lewis says, you have a sandwich stinks And Larry says, you stink.
Speaker 2: They're like five year olds these two.
Speaker 4: A security guard comes over and asks Larry to see his tickets, and he says, to the kid, the kid who squealed on who lied about the coffee spill?
Speaker 2: Is this the guy? And the kid nods, okay.
Speaker 3: You're interest that I have a ticket.
Speaker 2: Looks, let's go.
Speaker 3: If you like making a scene.
Speaker 5: Nor great, Lit'll tell dell snitch he spilled the coffee, by the way, because I couldn't put my fingers through your dainty cup. You're setting a very bad at table for my gentile wife.
Speaker 3: You know that looks the first time.
Speaker 4: In two and he's got that that bratty little look on his face.
Speaker 2: This kid was good, No.
Speaker 3: He's perfect. He's he's like way out of like he's like a bad kid from the Little Rascal, right, That's that's what he he reminds me of.
Speaker 2: And everybody starts shushing, shushing, shushing, and Larry says, he spilled the coffee. I couldn't get my fingers through the dainty little cup.
Speaker 4: Then Larry and Cheryl get kicked out and they're leaving, and as they're leaving they pass us, and I say, are you waiting for us?
Speaker 2: How are we going to get home? We carpooled with you. They're not waiting for us.
Speaker 4: Next thing, you guys are golfing with the doctor who's going to perform the surgery on that.
Speaker 2: And Larry tells you the doctor divorced his wife and is dating his secretary, which.
Speaker 3: By the way, out here I don't know about doctors, but I can tell.
Speaker 2: You out here out here, being La in.
Speaker 3: La, that is a very common thing. Because you work so intimately with your assistant. What I'm basically saying is, I know a few people divorce their wives and either married the assistant or is dating them.
Speaker 4: Well, you know what it's like, Arnold Schwarzenegger and the maid.
Speaker 2: She was there, Yeah, she was there.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 3: By the way, what I would love to know is how that interaction began, because he did it repeatedly so and she agreed to do it. Say's not like, but how did he approach her? Did she flirt with him? My curiosity has suddenly gone up again on that situation.
Speaker 4: Then you asked Larry if he's heard from the nanny, and he says no, he wrote her a letter, but he hasn't heard. And then you see the doctor is doing his putt and he's got the yips. His hands are shaking. Is there a definition for the yips beyond handshaking?
Speaker 3: No, I don't believe so. As a matter of fact, yips is one of those words that just has to be shown or described. It's not like a concise well they're handshake. It's a whole thing with fear and ye, it's just a whole thing.
Speaker 2: Is that yips?
Speaker 4: Is that only a golf term or is it using no baseball players?
Speaker 3: There was a baseball player on the Dodgers named Steve Sachs is their second basement. Really good baseball player got the yips. Oh. Also, I forget his name. He played Chuck naw Block. These are really established good players.
Speaker 2: And then it was the Yankee. I remember Chuck Block, but he had the yips. Oh really, he had the yips.
Speaker 3: When he was on the Yankees. I believe it happens to anyone who needs skill, you know, in anything skilled like of a course. I've never heard of a quarterback getting the yips, but that would be the type of person in football getting the yips, or a kicker.
Speaker 2: Yips.
Speaker 3: Keep going, all right, I'm actually reacting to you for once. Keep going.
Speaker 2: It's not something you want your surgeon.
Speaker 3: To have No, that's the point.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is And Larry's at home and he's telling Cheryl about the yips and he's like, he's operating on my father. So Cheryl says, pick up the phone and call the doctor. And he's like, well, you got to get out of the room. I can't do this in front of you. And he doesn't want to do this at all. He needs privacy, and he calls the doctor and the doctor is having sex with a secretary and doesn't.
Speaker 3: Pick up right there's the key thing.
Speaker 4: Next thing you know, he's in the hospital with Nat and that says you're not adopted. And he says, that was not I never said that you're not adopted. I never said that, And he wants the other half of the Larry David Sandwich, and Larry says, well, he's meeting the doctor at Leo's.
Speaker 2: He'll get one for him.
Speaker 4: And he's like, you sure I'm not adopted, And then he does a stare down with Nat, which I thought was a very excellent staredown.
Speaker 3: Okay, not only was it an excellent staredown, but those two looking at you. I said to Sari, I go no, exaggeration. Two comedic geniuses of all time are doing this. You know that. It was like I made that realization. I'm watching and I go, no, no, no, no. These two people are reasons that I went into comedy, yeah, you know, and my inspiration from them. I mean, people don't know Shelley, I think one of the first fam of a comedian. He might have been the first guy to play Carnegie Hall. He's had a lot of first Yeah, I hit a lot of first I don't know, I can't keep track, but anyhow, that might be my favorite staredown for many a myriad of reasons. So good.
Speaker 2: It was a good one. Yeah, it was a good one.
Speaker 4: And Larry says, we're gonna see what missus Siderman has to say about it. And he goes to Leo's Deli and he orders a Larry David sandwich to go, and she says, we don't have that sandwich anymore.
Speaker 2: They changed the name.
Speaker 4: It's now the Richard Lewis Sandwich the Whitefish save.
Speaker 3: I love that it's written on masking tape.
Speaker 4: Covering up the Larry David and we see Lewis is at a table with a bunch of comedy buddies laughing it up, bun.
Speaker 2: Larry approaches you stole my sandwich.
Speaker 4: I saw you talking to him outside the deli and Lewis's I always talk to people outside the temple. And Larry's like, you were so jealous. A little piece of information for you, I'm adufted and he throws it out to him and so like, you know, it's such a great thing, and Lewis says, bullshit.
Speaker 2: And he says, I I'm not part of those two nuts. Those two nuts are not my parents.
Speaker 4: And Leo is listening and overhear said Lewis is clearly jealous that Larry's adopted.
Speaker 2: And Leo comes over him and says, I adopted.
Speaker 1: Do you are my brother?
Speaker 2: You are my adopted brother. You could have any said what you want. And Larry takes the ted dance and sandwich right. And then the doctor shows up because Larry's meeting him.
Speaker 3: For lunch, Yeah, meeting him for lunch exactly.
Speaker 4: And he's supposed to do the surgery and the yips, et cetera. And he shakes Leo's hand and Leo breaks his hand, and there you go. He can't do the surgery. His hand is broken problem solved.
Speaker 3: This episode outside of the sandwich. Really, he has a lot of good luck after the swimming thing, you know what I mean, Like I noticed as I'm watching, I'm like, oh oh oh, the only thing that bad that really happened to him was getting kicked out of temple. Other than that, you know, yes, his father having a stroke. My apologies.
Speaker 2: Problem solves.
Speaker 4: He wants to get that Larry David to go and then he's home having sex with Ryl again and the phone rings, and she's like, do not even think about it, he says, but it might be a call for missus siderman my nanny, and she says, do not pick up that phone.
Speaker 3: By the way, who can continue to have sex when a man says the two words my nanny unless he's unless they're playing their role playing where she's the nanny, Yes, your my nanny, the.
Speaker 2: Executioner, you know something like that.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, so you know I know people by the way, who wear wigs and costumes when they role play.
Speaker 2: Really just saying okay.
Speaker 3: Whatever you get, whatever gets you through the day or night.
Speaker 4: I'm so fucking normal or not. And of course it's the nanny. It's got to be the nanny, this is Curb Your Enthusiasm, And we see a young nurse says, no one's picking up, and we see an old lady in bed, you know, in a hospital down whatever.
Speaker 2: She said, I had an answer to his question, and she's.
Speaker 4: Holding the letter if only he had picked up and then she just flat lines and dies and that's the end of the episode. Yes, so we're not going to know for missus Siderman if he's adopted or not. But there's more adventures with adoption, many more adventures. It's not over yet, and we'll discuss one of the next adventures in the next episode.
Speaker 3: Episode two episode. We want to watch it season five episode.
Speaker 2: And we'll see you next week.
Speaker 3: You know what, we never even mention that the best way to enjoy this is having watched the episode before you do this, and I love that season five, I'm saying that's the best thing to do.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 4: We you know why, Jeff, because we have respect for our listeners, and we think you're smart enough to know that well.
Speaker 3: By the way, to be totally honest with you, much respect to Curb your Enthusiasm.
Speaker 4: Fans, Absolutely, I agree, the smartest fans of the world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love when I'm playing to a room full of Curb fans. But what I actually make fun of the people that go with the curb people just trusting them, yet they have no idea what Kerb is. And you can always see them in the audience always, and I love it. I'm not mean to that.
Speaker 4: There's also a certain sensibility of a Curb fan, you know. I mean, Kurb is not a comedy that everybody likes or gets.
Speaker 3: It's also that thing that used to make me angry when people don't have a sense of humor.
Speaker 2: What do you think Do you think that's innate or do you think that's learned?
Speaker 3: Oh, it's totally innate. I agree, And you know, maybe a miserable person if they got their shit together and did the therapy and stuff. I think a person like that in my game. You know, I always tell my kids take what you do seriously, don't take yourself so seriously. And I think we're living in a time where most people take themselves too seriously and the other people are grasping its straw looking for comedy. That's in my opinion, Well.
Speaker 2: There's a reason why we like to hang out with comedians.
Speaker 3: Oh, I don't if I ever told the story. I'm at what's her name's house, it's a party, and I'm there with Marla, and Larry comes in and he sees me, and you can see the bounce in his step. He comes over and he says, thank god you're here.
Speaker 4: Thank god I've had that experience with him, right, he said, don't leave me, this is brutal.
Speaker 2: Stay by my side.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No, By the way, comedians do that. And I've always told people, if you're easily offended, don't hang around with comedians at a funeral. We say the worst possible things, not in the mean way, but there are tons of jokes under that subject that people would go, why would you say that if they didn't have a sense of humor. But it's almost like comedian humor.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, comedian funerals are notoriously hilarious.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Hopefully we're not at anyone anytime soon. There've been too many.
Speaker 3: For those kind words.
Speaker 2: All right, we will see you next week, next.
Speaker 3: Week, Thank you for listening.
Speaker 2: Bye bye.
Speaker 4: The History of carb Your Enthusiasm is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: For more podcasts from iHeartRadio
Speaker 4: Visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen to your favorite shows,