Speaker 1: Every day a week up the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 2: Y'all done morning.
Speaker 1: Everybody's d J n V. Just hilarious.
Speaker 3: Charlamagne the guy we are the Breakfast Club. La La Ros is here as well, and we got a special guest.
Speaker 4: In the building, legendary Eric.
Speaker 5: You know you're one of the greatest producers of all time, and we're gonna get to that in a second. You need to get to this ridiculous ass story that you told on the Diddy Documents.
Speaker 2: Already.
Speaker 4: I've been wanting to talk to you about this since I saw you.
Speaker 5: Now, when you sat down and told this story right, and then went back and watched it, right, did you say to yourself I told her wrong.
Speaker 4: That's not ridiculous.
Speaker 6: No, it's just not ridiculous. I'm gonna tell you what what I said was the truth. I never capt so what I did said was the truth how it went down, you know, because again me and missus friends, I love me to the death.
Speaker 2: I would never put do something.
Speaker 6: Just try to disrespect that, because behind the scenes I gave her the number to call Alex and she wrote in the text too. Oh yeah. If it wasn't for Eric, I wasn't even reached out. She told Alex no about the documentary. So I wouldn't even did that if I was trying to disrespect her on that. I was just giving my story two of what I said. Me and her are sitting in the car, she in the driver seat, She in the driver seat right, So if something was going on, I wouldn't be in the car talking, you know what I'm saying, I'd be you know whatever. So somebody knocked on my window and it was him, So of course he goes with her. Now, so of course anybody will be angry and be mad because that's his girl.
Speaker 4: Wasn't it your car?
Speaker 6: Yeah, but I'm saying as far as him being angry, he never touched me stopping now, stop, come on this me, Okay. He when I got out the car, he was angry, so he swung on me. Yeah, I got the car, right, can't swing in the car.
Speaker 4: And then.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no no no, I got the car and we started talking. Then he swung on me.
Speaker 6: So now, at the end of the day, me being respectful knowing that too, I didn't want to do that in front of her because I know I listened and you understand exactly because of the respect of her was in the car.
Speaker 2: She got out the car.
Speaker 4: She said she got so you told.
Speaker 2: Her get out and I told get out. She's got.
Speaker 6: Of course you gonna get out. People talking, you know, we don't get we were he's yelling. You know what I'm saying. So, but me and him is also friends, to don't forget. I was gonna into the Mary J. Blage album right so automatically, and then he had to come and talk to me too, which is em so I had to get the clearings for that though too, So we was already no kind of friends. He befriended me, so it wasn't like I'm like, yo, I couldn't believe that it happened to begin with.
Speaker 2: So my thing was, let's.
Speaker 6: Go around the corner so we won't have to do that in front of my friend and you're angry.
Speaker 4: So y'all really was cool. I was cool getting into something.
Speaker 6: That's look again Netflix again, that's on Netflix. It looks crazy. Sot me let me fix the other part about the Biggie Smalls. Of course, Biggie Smalls is not out yet, so it's new music. So when somebody says, oh that, it don't add up with the baby and just not being born.
Speaker 2: I'm saying, no, it was new music. So again, after you.
Speaker 6: Finished going around the corner, you calm down now because now there's no reason for you to get hype now because now this this situation is all calm So now it's like, yo, check this out. And then then we took about Keith Murray because he was a big Keith Murray fan. So like Keith Murry signed to me. So again the cop versation that people don't know about, this is what happened.
Speaker 4: So what was the ride around the corner? Like when he got in the car. What did y'all talk about it?
Speaker 2: Y'all was driving gona think about nothing until we stopped.
Speaker 4: So y'all stopped and realize we don't really want to fight.
Speaker 2: It was never going to get there for for for for him.
Speaker 7: You know, you had already talked outside the car and kind of cooled it down, is what you're saying.
Speaker 8: No, please ask God, damn all. Right, hold up, why was she driving your truck?
Speaker 2: She's in driving she Why was she in the.
Speaker 8: Driver's seat of your truck? That's his girl.
Speaker 2: No, I just she just wanted to be in the driver's seat.
Speaker 8: Oh what kind of truck was.
Speaker 2: It was a uh but I had was a fore runner.
Speaker 9: She just wanted to be So you wasn't trying to get her back or nothing in the driver's seat to do that, all right.
Speaker 8: And so when she got out, y'all left her just right there.
Speaker 2: Left she was in fun of her crib. Oh all right?
Speaker 8: So this was at the crib.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we talked in front of the crib.
Speaker 8: I'm like, why would you go around to another No?
Speaker 2: No, fron of her in front of her house?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 2: Young?
Speaker 4: So what was this was the song Fucking You Tonight?
Speaker 2: No, we'll just stop.
Speaker 6: This was ready to die. He was not thinking about something. Let me tell you about about with with with Puff. I was just telling my story.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 6: It wasn't like I was trying to even just him neither. Don't forget Puffy came and got keep married. For every remix, every song he called me for Jose's remix. So if you are angry with somebody, I wouldn't be getting phone calls.
Speaker 2: He called for Redman. He called every.
Speaker 6: Time something came out on Bad Boy. One of my artists was somebody who he called or he called me to remix it. So again I understand how it might look, but it wasn't like That's why I couldn't wait to get here.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: So the next question is why the documentary because I didn't see that on my bingo call when I seen the documentary and I see Eric the documentary, So who reached out for the document Why did you say?
Speaker 6: They asked me the questions, you know how fifty is? Again, I had fifty with a nod in the beginning. You know, don't forget Corey Ruon. You bung fifty cent to my crib next door, like walked over with him, like, yo, here's my artist.
Speaker 2: Whatever.
Speaker 6: I end up doing heat Wave, you know, and I end up doing a couple of other songs though too. So I'm also friends with him too. So when they asked me the question, I'm like, yo, okay, I do it, not knowing it was going to be, you know, how you put stuff together. I was just I told a couple of stories, envy. This is a story that they end up keeping, you know. So again I'm not here to you. If anybody knows me, it's.
Speaker 2: You, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: You and you know my crew, and you know me as far as just how I roll. Again to the end of the day. I'm not trying to debunk or make everything sound nice or whatever it is. People don't know the friendship of Mesa and me and and him, we was actually friends. And I would never ever try to put me say, in a situation on that. And I said friends, I didn't say we was like that and we was doing all that said, yo, that was my friend, you know, because we never really put together as being boyfriend and girlfriend.
Speaker 2: It was just like a friend thing, you know.
Speaker 6: Okay, Now this is the part that again at the end of the day, I didn't I was at Basil.
Speaker 2: Now I heard that she was there, but I didn't see I didn't see her out.
Speaker 6: But but again I know she wasn't going to pick up my phone call because again you have to let somebody calm down and be like whatever and see because she was getting so much stuff whatever. But she texts my my best friend, but not it and didn't say some nice things, you know. So again, but it was in the beginning, you know what I'm saying. So hopefully you know, she sees this and then I be able to talk to her, you know, and say, you know, I didn't mean to do nothing to her because she is my friend.
Speaker 5: I guess I guess what this new generation, every every damn every man on that doc looks like a you know what I'm saying, you guys something. I know that, but I'm saying, you got guys on the they but got touched and everything.
Speaker 4: So when people see you on the doctor.
Speaker 6: Yeah I wasn't. I was crazy, like I didn't belong there, you know when you see everybody else was like, yo, I didn't belong to your envy. I swear I want to do we want Superman going around the world again and be like, you know what, I can rewind us all back, you know what I'm saying, and do it, do it over because everybody who saw said the same ship what is Eric doing?
Speaker 2: And that documentary?
Speaker 6: You know, but at the end of the day, it's like this, I can't even take this though too since nineteen whatever eighty nine, though jests the ninety this is my first time being this on fire.
Speaker 5: Like really, it's not damn music, no, no, that you reinfinished yourself so many times.
Speaker 6: Wait in one second, I'm telling you, man, this right here is a different type.
Speaker 2: Like I felt like now I'm telling.
Speaker 6: You, like this is the whole world, Like you couldn't have a hit record and be around the world, but you're talking about twenty three countries, number one Netflix, Okay, whatever, you gotta adjust all this and then the album coming at the same time, I'm number one, you know on on on iTunes, like I didn't have.
Speaker 4: This social I don't want them to know.
Speaker 2: No, no, listen, I'm not saying that.
Speaker 6: I'm just saying far as the far as me being listen, I don't want to be hot for that, neither what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: But it did. It helped the project of Dynamic Duels.
Speaker 8: Yeah, purposely aligned hell album.
Speaker 6: It kept pushing back the album would this and just this album is four years old, it was doing COVID whatever. Kevin Lyles came and got me into to what nineteen were twenty eighteen, twenty twenty. Then after that two years went by COVID and then all of a sudden they buy three hundred, four hundred million after that, so you.
Speaker 1: Was signed up a three hundred right, I was signed with artist, but.
Speaker 6: As a partner, you know, MB, I'm too old for to be signeding somebody. So after that, whatever time went by all of a sudden, three and a half years went by. Then I had to get the politics of prodig Jesus state, Nate Dogg's of state, Sean Prices of state.
Speaker 2: So all this stuff took a little time.
Speaker 6: So now we ended up here and kept coming back, going back, going back, and then December fifth finally happened. They was calling me doctor j all Erica's line is never coming. And I understand because I was telling these this lie since you know not and to them for four years.
Speaker 8: You know, how did you get Denzel Washington to do the injury?
Speaker 6: It wasn't Denzel usc king Yo, that's my own Yeah, exactly, Yeah, so he does.
Speaker 8: The impressation is so good. I literally thought, I'm like, You're like, I'm like, damn because.
Speaker 9: Of the okay shout out to k he is crazy.
Speaker 3: You know, you talk about your history in his music industry, right, and I think you're a forgetful person, right, because people forget all the hits that you have, the artists that you have, and when they have a lot of times these conversations that you create. I feel like when they have these conversations, they don't mention Eric Sermon enough.
Speaker 1: Do you feel that way.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, listen, man, there's people that don't know who Larry Smith is, right and Larry Smith under your nose sucking cs Houdini. You know you're talking about you know, click Rick, you know whether this man was a genius. So when I look at that happening and then Molly maul to not being talked about out knowing that if he didn't.
Speaker 2: Sample, this will not be where we're at now too.
Speaker 6: So mb sometimes I look at that and I look at the ones that came before, but like, damn, they ain't talked about neither. Then Jermaine depri Tho too is one of those two who somebody be like, you know who was underrated?
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. But again, as long as.
Speaker 6: You know and my colleagues, like when I see Parreal and he starts bowing and stuff, you know, it makes me know, like, okay, yo, you know I did something, so in actuality, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: As long as y'all know, you know what I'm saying, I'm cool with that.
Speaker 5: But we got to show the new generation like you're you're one of the architects of the East Coast sound period.
Speaker 4: Correct, Like like what inspired that? Sonic identity?
Speaker 1: And artists on the East coast.
Speaker 2: People the new kids don't care about who's what.
Speaker 4: Yes, they do. They think Puffy victim number three, We're not.
Speaker 6: Going after that number five that you since one inspired that?
Speaker 4: What inspired that? That that sounded? Did you know at the time you were creating something new?
Speaker 2: Well again?
Speaker 6: E PMD was you know, just stop it okay? EPMD was something that, like I said, for me in Paris, didn't know char I mean that we was was producers. We thought every record that we heard was done by the artists, so we didn't know about the name producer. So whatever that we was making, we made thinking that this is how it's supposed to go. So all the records that mom had against the speaker because you went back then. You know, you're too young to know about this, but they used to put the albums and stack them up against the speaker or stack them up against the or whatever wall unit you had, so that was all lined up, so you just picked whatever you picked. My dad had all these albums, we know, just the Whispers, you know, earth Wind, the Fire, BT Express, you know, of course Parliament, the whole nine and Paris' father had Zap, so that's where more bounce came from. So we had all that, then all the stuff coming from Brentwood. We had a mixture of white, Black and Puerto Rican that we grew up with. So I knew all the rock songs let and I knew about you know Genesis, I knew about you know Van Halen, So we mixed all that Zzy Top, Is you a customer? I want to say it out there, but the but at the end when he says, when I say, at the end, you hear the guitar playing, you would hear the band ban We played it for the hood. The hood said take the guitars out, so you a customer became playing with just a beat in the baseline. But we had the zz Top cheap sunglasses sample in it. So we had you know Godzilla by h Man.
Speaker 2: Blew Us a Colt.
Speaker 6: All these songs we had and we knew so EPMD was a mixture of stuff that we grew up with and stuff that we I found in the crib, and that became whatever the sound was with the Roger. Because once we got the more bounce, we kept that going and then the Parliament we kept that going.
Speaker 4: The thing I loved about EPMD.
Speaker 5: Y'all had like a chemistry that just was was effortless.
Speaker 6: Okay, everything that we did was run DMC because Runding me.
Speaker 2: Don't forget.
Speaker 6: We made the demo record pieces by demo. Me and parents really built a sixty eight Camaro car, you know, stripped it the whole nine, got it, you know, painted up by Earl Ships.
Speaker 2: You're too young for that too. Earl shot with ninety nine dollars.
Speaker 6: So we get the car, go to the paint machine, get it all painted up, you know what I'm saying, and we drove it. The car overheated though, but you know, we got to Manhattan and and we walked to the three labels that we found on the albums. See back then on the albums they had the addresses.
Speaker 4: Up, so we walked.
Speaker 6: We just give us some old I'm fifty six years old, so you look, so you look at the situations. And we got the address and we walked and then we got to Fresh Records, and that's when we met you know, Juggie Gails and Will sockle Off and and next thing, you know, three days later we got signed on that.
Speaker 2: You know, from doing that.
Speaker 5: What was the secret to y'all y'all partnership though, and like, how did you in Paris challenge each other creatively?
Speaker 2: Yeah? See, Paris didn't rhyme when I met him. Really, Paris was a DJ.
Speaker 6: So I came from another part of Brentwood, which was kind of like you know, say, if the Bronx was the Bronx, that was my side I came from. We had GRAFFEEDI break dancing DJ and the whole ship was hot where I was at. So when I came to Paris's neighborhood, I was I moved to my grandmother's house. I met Paris at the bus stop and he snapped on me too, like you know me. He didn't even know me, but he was like, yo, what kind of the sneakers you got on? I'm like, these are pumas. He's like, nah, those ain't the real pumas. So and he was bold for that though, just because I didn't know. But I paid thirty dollars for him though Charlamagne, but they didn't have the holes, so they was so baskets was the real one I had on the Puma invaders didn't have the whole.
Speaker 10: I know, I know, but I didn't know I had in the leaves, I had the Tiaka shirt, I had the output on, but I hadn't the wrong sneakers flying.
Speaker 6: I know, I thought I was I was right, and he's like, yo, what else you got on? And again people laughed and I was like kind of embarrassed. But then after a while he found out I knew how to rhyme, so he was like, yo, you know, so I rhymed and I had the Jane story. I had jamesince I was twelve. So when I rhand the Jaine story though to, he was like, yo, damn, you got something else. I'm like, yo, I got the story about this guy named Bernard gets, you know, so I had to burn our get story too by him shooting the train up.
Speaker 2: So those are my first kind of wrap. My mother, God but dead.
Speaker 6: She she brung Home Rappers the Light and the break call a patchie APATCHI had the green label on it, right, So she won these two records home, so all these knew and again my big ass used to pop to when I was younger, but I was of course more.
Speaker 4: God damn what.
Speaker 2: Dancing right, So listen? So other man, well just stopped, Come on, man, me and you were good friends, so just stop it.
Speaker 6: On Soul Train was a guy called the Papa Long Kid, right, and he was in the Shallowmart group, so I used to watch him on but when he was on Soul Train, so I became the Papa Long Kid too. So at the time, you know, this is what I was doing, and the whole neighborhood was rapping. But they would let me get like ten seconds on the mic, the whole not this and that, that and this. So I really wasn't getting off as far as on in my neighborhood because I was young, until I moved to my grandmother's house and then Paris gave me the shot. Paris gave me the shot. Without Paris giving me the shot, I would never ever been or even try to make a record because I had a strong list, like a real ways stronger than this. So you heard my records, you know. He said, it's like I got golf balls in my mouse pause.
Speaker 4: I got a list. So growing up like people like yeah.
Speaker 2: But you can still hear you my ship, you couldn't hear the words.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying, And I always want to know, you know, Na that our niece she comes up here, and I told her one time, next time I'm in Queens, I'm gonna take her to some of the big spots of Queen's LL's house, the Rock and all that, and so we're gonna drive out to Long Island, go to East House. And the reason I said that is the first man should I've ever been to and see was Eric Simtine.
Speaker 6: Bring that up because because it's inspiring. He forced on me on the last he said, but now I got one to But it was.
Speaker 4: Inspiring because he was letting.
Speaker 1: He let me in his house.
Speaker 3: And you see, with Keith Murray made records and with Red Man made records where he produced, you see the landscape, and I'm like, black people could really have, you know, I mean.
Speaker 1: It meant so much. So I always wanted to know when it came to that.
Speaker 3: We've never heard Eric sermon having financial problems, but I've never heard, right, what did you do differently than most of these people in the industry, because you always hear this person lost, this, this person that. I mean, you even see Dame who just went into to court for bankruptcy or whatever it was he went to court for.
Speaker 1: How could we never heard that with you.
Speaker 6: I think that again, I watched Parish in the beginning getting houses early. Paris was already getting houses early before me, you know what I'm saying. So he was always already into real estate. So then when I was able to get some bread after the breakup, because during the breakup, I really didn't have that much money, you know, with EPMD, and you didn't really make that much money do on EPMD days, I didn't have it.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm saying, said, but you know somebody, but I didn't have it.
Speaker 6: And be plus, I was young, like Russell gave. He came to guts from first records. He spent the one point six million dollars to get us. But again we didn't see it. So and then we told a lot though too. So I was able to get me a crib and get me a bins, you know, but it was like I didn't really see anything as far as bank account type situations. Yeah, until I moved to Atlanta and the group broke up. And once the group broke up, I started buying all type of shit. And I wasn't even living in the cribs, you know, I was getting apartments, getting houses, whatever it's doing whatever. At the time, all of a sudden, though, V you see what I was doing. I had so many groups in so many places. I think, as Martinez has said one time, how does Eric get all these deals? Because I was going to the labels winning, So it wasn't like I was going there and taking money. So that means Reggie was winning there, Keith Murray winning that jive, you know, Dave Harster was winning at you know, at dream Works. You know, I had people far as the Hunter was at Emi. You know, then if at the desk squad came out, then Ruther Meth came out. You know what I mean, deals, I had how much up front money I was getting?
Speaker 7: You know that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that was parish More too.
Speaker 6: But I ended up selling my half, which is I don't know why I did that at the time, but I gave forty percent this and not that and this. Then Clive Davis came you know, you know that was four million dollars. This is like, you know again, at the end of the day, it was like it just kept doing what it was doing. Kadn Masenberg at one time too, So it was the fact that and then publishing what you see now, I don't think I never sold because I didn't have to. So now at the end of the day, the publishing is doing what it is. You know, you probably sort of sort of the post after so many years weekend does I don't want to know by you know whatever. One point nine billion streams. One point nine billion streams brings you two hundred and fifty thousand dollars every quarter.
Speaker 1: So every quarter you get to fifty Jesus for.
Speaker 6: Four percent on one record. So this is what I try to tell people. I never told the people to flex. I was trying to tell artists, like you said, if you have your publishing and you own it, here's what can feed you, like a four to one k or some type of retirement type of thing, if you own your publishing. But I get it, if you don't have the money, you have to sell it and people are cashing in for the big money. I understand that two hundred million two. I'm going to do the same thing too. If I was Dre and Neo and Dream and all of them, I do it too. But again, but in the smaller scheme of things, I never had to do that. So when I sit back and I be at home and years go by. I took off twelve years to be because I was on joint for twelve years. So again at the end of the day, them percosets had me at home anyway, you know what I'm saying. So this is twelve years of being able to sit down because you got publishing checks from all that music that I was able to do, was able to have me sit down. That's how I live and be without me doing work is publishing.
Speaker 2: Percosus was when you know.
Speaker 6: Well, when I had that thing in two thousand Women it said I felt from the window whatever.
Speaker 2: That was my first time on vikinging.
Speaker 1: Do you ever tell the story that you never tell the story?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean people know it wasn't that. You know, I was in the wrong place at the wrong time, but it was suicide side.
Speaker 2: But I viking in is what you get first.
Speaker 6: That's why I said Michael Jackson it was the pills before he got to Porfo fall whatever. But I had the viking in first. Once I had the viking in, I'm like, you know what, Charla Mede, I'm like this, this is cool. So I was off of the viking In once I got better. Two thousand and and nine, I had back surgery as far as like one of them L fives or whatever. The the my my nerves had wrapped around my spine so it had numb. My whole from my balls all the way down to my legs was all numb. So I was seventy two hours away from nerve damage on that right row.
Speaker 3: What you they gotta say, pause, clearly just talking about balls, So.
Speaker 8: Just right, sorry, listen child, wait talking about this action.
Speaker 4: I'm stupid.
Speaker 1: It's crazy, big kids.
Speaker 4: It was none from the ball way.
Speaker 2: It was a didn't lay. It was a one man lay.
Speaker 1: Came you want to be the.
Speaker 5: Captain A laugh, but I would not look at But I'm saying no, but I can't wait to be.
Speaker 6: I didn't say I was I was I was number.
Speaker 9: Was I was number You couldn't from the balls down like I was no action.
Speaker 2: So they gave me one hundred and twenty percocets the ground. The bottle was this.
Speaker 6: Tall, right, so it's one hundred and twenty. So for the first two days I didn't fuck with him, you know, because I didn't know where it was.
Speaker 2: I wasn't.
Speaker 6: I'm like, we're the viker in that, you know whatever. But then the pain started. So now I take the percosesets. Now the pain stopped.
Speaker 2: But I liked the feeling and not for that it was over.
Speaker 1: He's ten years twelve. How did you finally get off?
Speaker 2: I went to rehab in twenty twenty two? You rehab?
Speaker 4: Was it? Me?
Speaker 6: And I didn't go to no celebrity rehab. I went to a rehab upstate with regular people. And they talk about it too. They hit me on the things like, yo, Kim Lee, you was in here the whole nine because I figured if I went to one celebrity ones you allowed to leave and say they say, if sol I means as a fan, I could ask him to get me some percosets, he get it for me.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. So again, this place was really kind of locked down.
Speaker 6: They didn't played. It was a girl and a guy situated. So it was twenty two girls upstairs and forty forty men downstairs. So and every day you go to a class from seven to from seven to eight. So you have classes, and you have people who come in on Tuesdays and talk for you.
Speaker 2: You it all no no.
Speaker 1: During that time, you couldn't produce, You could not you can care.
Speaker 6: There's none of that reflect because because the first five days is you're doing detox and you're doing what's that that ship they use for whatever, They give you that for the first four days, and after that you start rehabbing.
Speaker 1: How I was detox and not not having that after having it.
Speaker 6: For twelve four days is crazy because you get the ship called to shake the but yeah, well it's it's restless legs. So so so your leg is kicking and then your arms starts kicking, so you can't sleep. So now I'm up for seventy two hours doing this arm punctioning like I said for it. Sometimes I used to get the emotional, but again not now. But your leger is kicking, and your arms kicking is called restless legs, so that happens in the beginning. So now they want you to take some ship called seboxing, but suboxing is another drug, so I was not going to put myself back on something else to calm this down.
Speaker 9: I never understood why they do that and rehead. But they'll give you something else, another drug, wing you off the one that you want, but it has the same shit, same thing.
Speaker 2: So if I would have came home, I would have been on that.
Speaker 6: So I'm like, fucking, I just wait seventy two hours, this and that, whatever, whatever. So I end up taking some business jil out of everything too to put me to sleep after the seventy two hours and not work after that. That was really cool. I was just going through it. But then they tell you don't go back into your environment. That means if you go back home, that driveway is gonna remind me of my dealer coming to my driveway. If I go around the corner of that store is gonna mind me because I always had them meet me somewhere, like my kids didn't know. My kids didn't find out. They ain't know nothing for a while. All of a sudden, though, Charla mean, I'm looking at this situation like, yo, I can't get out of here because again I'm gonna have to go someplace else because if I stay here, it's gonna call right after that. My mother's in stage five. Yeah wow, So now for the whole year I'm taking care of her. Now I don't supposed to be in that environment because now I'm gonna get stressed and the first thing I'm gonna run to is her. It's a purtains, but my mother said, if you do that, I'm not gonna make it. So once she said that, there's no way I'm gonna touch the pill.
Speaker 4: So he was talking to her about the challenges you face.
Speaker 2: Well, well, she no, she's not that.
Speaker 6: She just knew that I came up from rehab and I wasn't supposed to be in that environment or any type of stressful environment. She knew that, but again I had to take care of her, you know, so at the end of the day.
Speaker 2: So once that happened.
Speaker 6: From June to May, when she passed away, right, my mother was so ill because my mother knew that how how how it was going to hurt me for me to see her die. So I got the call from Kanye West to go produce. I knew I was leaving that week, you know what I mean, All of a sudden, she told my sister, tell Eric to get on the plane and don't miss that opportunity.
Speaker 2: She's dying, and she's like, you know, well go do that.
Speaker 6: So I go on the plane, I land, me and b As soon as I land, he passed me the phones with my sister. My mother's transitioned. Kanye calls and says Eric. It happened to me too. My aunt called me, don't worry about that, come to the studio tomorrow. So when niggas talk about YA two, he was there for me, you know. So that whole seven months with him had me off of what does happened? Even though I went home to bury my mother. I went home and buried her. I flew to Italy where he was at. You know, so we worked in Italy and I came back home again, and after that whatever, I knew that it had left me because, believe me, those ship called it's called pause, posts, acute, stressed to something whatever, where you get the symptoms of it calling you, Chris Rock, it's calling you. So now it's like, okay, well damn, you know, how can I get this? But I know I don't want to do this, but something going to have to stop me because of not that pause is coming in.
Speaker 8: What was that first.
Speaker 7: Meet up with you and Kanye as you're going through all of this stuff about your mom and he's there with you and he's been through it, Like what was that first initial like come here, I got you.
Speaker 6: He just told me that when his moms died, he went to work too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the music helped all of it. I went into the studio.
Speaker 6: He had a big twenty five thousand square feet warehouse and Slawson right, So we went in there and nixt thing, you know. It was him and eighty eight keys whatever, and the engineer and I just stopped playing music and he was just like getting excited, and we was like whatever. And the producer came in and said, you everic before you came here, we had no vibe, you know what I'm saying. So whatever was working at the time was just working, and we just kept me just.
Speaker 2: Doing what we was doing.
Speaker 5: What came from those sessions, cause I remember you had said that Kanye was putting on an album called Why three, and Kanye was like, nine.
Speaker 6: Right, you have listen, Charla Man, you were The stuff that we was doing was classic ya samples, beats, rhymes, the whole nine. Once I came back from burying my mother and I flew to Italy, I saw Todd Donalds sign and I looked.
Speaker 2: On the board. I saw my songs, but all the rest.
Speaker 6: Of them was him and Todd donald sign. So they switched the whole situation. When I was gone, right, anything, I mean anything about Now they leaked a couple of songs.
Speaker 2: Worship and something else came out that I did, but it was a leak.
Speaker 5: I always wondered, man, because I don't know for the people who don't know. Eric Serman discovered red Man. You heard him mention Keith Murray. Always wondered, if e pm D doesn't break up, do we still get Oh my.
Speaker 6: God, Jesus christ Man Yo. Of course, because Reggie was there. Murray was there too. But I can imagine the five years. Don't figure this is this is head binger and crossover just and we out, So imagine the five years in between.
Speaker 2: I wonder what would have happened.
Speaker 6: You know what was there other groups that would have came was the Wu Tang and the chronic would have been you know, able to you know the rain that we had was was keeping ready would have been the new added edition at that moment. Now we oh my god, you know another one? You know, so five years in between. I asked that question all the time. I wonder what it would have happened. House keep people forget about Jamal Jamal?
Speaker 1: How is you speaking to?
Speaker 2: How's Keith?
Speaker 1: How's keep doing?
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's doing he's doing good. I don't really talk to him to see him as much though, but he's heard from Keith in a minute, yea, yeah, he Well, Keith had moved down south, you know what I'm saying. But again, I know that the Depth Squad is in the talking right now as far as the Death Squad LP, so hopefully that does happen. You know what I'm saying again, Right now where music is at, to me, it's fun, but I'm not with the system of putting my music at this time. Would the name through platforms?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 6: This album right now is going through a platform because I happened that three hundred I was signed to and Warner took it.
Speaker 2: So it's going through the platforms. But that's not my future one like that mass Appeal.
Speaker 1: I like what mass Appeal's doing.
Speaker 7: I saw you talked about and yeah listen, I like that too.
Speaker 6: I just I just don't I want to make all the money at this time, because again, listen, the president of Spotify, not the owner. The president makes He made three hundred million dollars in twenty twenty four. In twenty twenty five, he made four hundred and twenty five million dollars, not the owner, the president.
Speaker 4: President.
Speaker 2: Wow, so we're.
Speaker 6: Still making zero zero zero four less than a penny. Right, Congress just passed the bill that we get one cent now, but one cent is one million streams is fourteen grand.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 6: If I get fourteen thousand people to give me one dollar, I make fourteen thousand dollars. I don't know how Jay said numbers don't lie.
Speaker 2: This is this is the truth.
Speaker 6: So if I get eight thousand fans to give me two hundred bucks, that means merchandise records. The whole night, I made one point six million dollars. I only need a million people. I only need two hundred thousand, one hundred thousand. I need eight thousand people. If eight thousand people give me one hundred dollars, it's eight hundred grand.
Speaker 2: This doesn't make any sense. Dj MB is already a name.
Speaker 6: You're already a name already, so at the end of the day, you know you got people who gonna support you. Is the fact that you don't want to take that shot because again you don't trust it.
Speaker 2: But why not.
Speaker 6: You're already popular, so they're gonna support whatever you show them.
Speaker 7: You talked about in a rollin Stone article bringing back giving people a blueprint to certain things. Right, So with what you just say, So the blueprint that you're telling are now even new artists, is what create a dot com? Like create their own streaming? Like what is that business model?
Speaker 6: The same thing that you're doing right now that no matter what, everybody has a www.
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter that that never left.
Speaker 6: We left the websites because nobody talks about them no more. But on your website you can have band camp and shopify and it's the same thing no matter what.
Speaker 2: So this is what you do.
Speaker 6: You direct them to that same marketing promotion that you would spend how you would market and promote something.
Speaker 2: Now you send them to your website.
Speaker 6: Every major show you watch, every major person with a that is pop well you know that's clothing line, whatever, has a WWW and once and when they want you to look at something, they direct it to their website. That's the whole thing. The website is back. Make it dope again, make it colorful, make it the fact that whatever, make it whatever, and then put your shit on there, shopify in the band camp or whatever you can use for them to purchase the situation. And that's the model that I would use. I'm not saying the new people because they're going to be harder for somebody who doesn't have a name, but somebody who already has a name. I'm just telling you the numbers again. If you got a thousand people giving you five dollars, there's the numbers. You can't lose on that. And you see the people making you sleep, ess and you're making thirty dousand dollars whatever, and you resting because this shit that you put out hat is moving while you're sleeping.
Speaker 2: Jeff yo yo.
Speaker 6: But people don't want to do that because they like, this is what I heard from some artists.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna miss his name.
Speaker 6: Somebody just said, yeah, that's dope though, But I want people to hear my music worldwide, nigga, you already famous, meaning that they want to put their music on the platforms so everybody can hear it. You pass that already.
Speaker 8: But you know what what some people get.
Speaker 9: You know, I could understand that artist because like if your if your fan base is used to just getting it anyway. There's so many subscriptions shit's going on. It's like, yo, I gotta ask or they gotta pay for something else. And somebody and people with the fans, like even in the twitch chat, they always like somebody always selling something and it's like, you know, how many subscriptions do you want or can.
Speaker 1: You pay for?
Speaker 2: But yes, but you work hard.
Speaker 6: We get up in the morning, we go to work, I press them buttons, I do all that shit, and all of a sudden, somebody, would you buy something? Would you can wage something for a penny?
Speaker 4: Nah? I'm with you.
Speaker 6: I get what I'm saying. Like, Yo, I'm giving away something for less than one cent. Yeah, that's all I'm saying now like at this stage, now I'm selling my ship for less.
Speaker 2: Than a penny. Nah. I can't do that.
Speaker 4: And it feels like robbery.
Speaker 5: When I hear artists say the music is the promo for the tour and the merch, I'm like, nah, you should be getting paid off the music.
Speaker 6: Charla Man like you mentioned that. That's that right there is so true. That's what they be saying, which is crazy. That's also crazy. No, it makes no sense.
Speaker 5: I went to the massive pill shop the other day. I dropped some coins. Then what because they had the nos illmatic jacket. That's so fire. You know, ghost Face my favorite artist. So when you're walking around the store, you like a kid in the candy shop. It's all of the different merch you want the merch.
Speaker 6: You know, certain things I did do Like next year I got Levi's got the e P M D jacket EPMD shirt. They signed NAS and they signed the EPM D.
Speaker 2: I did it for like Geenie jackets, Yeah, gene jackets. But I did it for.
Speaker 6: The the leverage of stuff, knowing that there was no money. You know, I don't know, I don't know when NAS got paid, but they adn't give me dime.
Speaker 2: I'm lee by, I'm cool, I'm cool, cool.
Speaker 6: But again, the leverage of me having this and then being able to use that everything is usually too though.
Speaker 2: I know y'all all know about leverage. Leverage is the.
Speaker 6: Money will come, but certain things you do to get into the second door in the third door. Yeah, you know what, I'm so again, they you know, LEVI called people. You know, I'm like, hell, yeah, fuck it. You don't give what it was, but you know they're giving me two things. The shirt was just the first thing. It's like, oh, we want to give you a jacket too, and let's let's do that.
Speaker 7: Fucking you know so well all this business success. I also saw you talk about the artists you could have signed that you didn't sign, So like fifty cent Rick ross akon fujis like looking back at that now, like, first of all, how did you not think to just do the label and then keep all those artists close to your chest?
Speaker 6: Because you see, this is what I said on one of my posts that I'm sorry for keep repeating the stories. But then the beautiful lady asks again, so you're gonna hear it again for the third podcast.
Speaker 2: You know, at the time.
Speaker 6: I was just I had my own groups, so I didn't look at, you know, what it was what somebody else was doing.
Speaker 2: I had my own crew. The his squad was my own crew.
Speaker 6: So when when when they was when all of them was coming to me at the time, I wasn't, you know, focused on them like that. I kind of listen, man, the guy got him say but no and be gonna know too. But no, back there it's like two he brought me the fujis whatever. I just wasn't at the time paying attention to it at the time, you know. But again lucky I didn't because salm Remy without that probably wouldn't have heard the fujis.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: None of those artists that you mentioned excited me.
Speaker 5: There's one artist that I always wish was with Eric Sherman in Hitch Squad who Cannabis. Yeah, he was with me, I know, but I wish he would have stayed with y'all and did his debut album.
Speaker 4: We'd be having a whole other conversation.
Speaker 6: But but again, Ross was brought me to me by Tony Draper, you know, and and he was Teflon, So I did put him on the ninety nine album as Teflon, though you know what.
Speaker 4: Happened with cannabis? Why didn't that? Why didn't he stay with your.
Speaker 6: He signed the White Cleft, Oh yeah, I mean yeah, but again yeah, the money, the money was offered, I think it was like a million dollars something like that was offered to him.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't have took the money, take the sound. That sound would have been totally different.
Speaker 6: But all those groups, the Woutangs, the whole nine to two again, but no, his father had a church in Staten Island, you know, for over thirty years, and he took me to the Whatever project. It was at Whatever, and I met all and there's a picture I told you that that's out park Hill is a picture that's out with me on my eye rock with all them on it.
Speaker 2: You know, it was out there somewhere and now we can't find it.
Speaker 6: But again, you know, I was really gonna sign Ray Kwan by himself first, but again time go by, you know, and I ended up getting robed in staff noillis.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 9: So with this album is titled Volume one, you got other volumes.
Speaker 6: Coming, yeah, Volume two is coming too, And I just like looked at it's kind of crazy because I played a Locks record by mistake on the on another podcast on you know, on his podcast. Yeah, and I didn't know that they're going to keep it. So it's playing. My daughter said, Yo, there was the Locks record. I'm like, how do you know about that? He said, oh no, it's on the podcast at the end. So at the end it played. So I had that as a surprise. I might be got to make something else if I don't get popular. But all the CNN, you know.
Speaker 4: It's gonna get popular.
Speaker 9: You number one, no, no, no, But but I have all the stuff seeing in Black Star, you know, you know, I was came in the Locks I told you before.
Speaker 2: Damn a ball. M j G requined ghost face, healter skeleton. No, no, no, this is this is no, this is what what whatever? Ego? Yeah, okay, it's A. It's a. It's twenty three groups. Right.
Speaker 6: The reason why I put on Lil Wayne the game in Conway is because I'm.
Speaker 2: Also doing making up dynamic duels too.
Speaker 6: The Lil Wayne is not on the one that you hearing, but they played that on Joe and Jay too, and that's also going. I'm like, god, damn, I can't even bring the remix back, you know what I'm saying, like, you know what, yeah, yeah, but no, but big time is so people ast me to where's the South groups? You think I don't want to get you know, you know UGK Pempcey's right here. I think I want to get out cast if I could. This is impossible to get those, So, you know, I didn't want to go all in New York. I used three West Coast. I did dog pounds snooping the Nate Dog in Cyprus Hills in the game, you know, in the game, yeah four right, So but I didn't want to go all East. I could have went that way because my first thing I wanted to get with Slick Rick and Dougie. I wanted to make another show part two, just differently my way, you know, just I had it.
Speaker 2: I called them first and nice and smooth. Again, I didn't. I couldn't get I couldn't get the things going at the time. But but but I want to do.
Speaker 6: Common and and and what was my god?
Speaker 2: I got to tell you that.
Speaker 1: The common common.
Speaker 6: Who black though black? Okay, So I want to make my duos, put put them together. Do to make sure he and you know what. I was playing the styles pre record on your album. You know that beat was your It was your way before it's time, Okay, anything sposed.
Speaker 1: To sign yes and listen.
Speaker 2: I need you this.
Speaker 6: He is gonna sound crazy, but I need to make sure that we got clickbaits.
Speaker 2: So start something up real quick.
Speaker 5: As soon as you're saying, all of the young people here, when they talk about the Diddy Doc, they be like, yo, man, I ain't no didd he was messing with dudes. So they'd be like little rod Ex. I'm like, wha, you ain't watch the doctor?
Speaker 4: If you say, Eric, I never heard just the perception of the doc because the guy that don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm serious.
Speaker 7: Perception after that is crazy.
Speaker 2: I'm not even people friend. But I'm not. I'm not even mad. I'm not even made right. I never listen.
Speaker 6: I don't want to be the interview where it was like, okay, like you're all have the biggest stars in America and like and like, and have the people up here that be saying some other ship.
Speaker 4: That you've got a story already.
Speaker 5: You don't have to.
Speaker 2: Let me.
Speaker 6: Let me listen. Man, I need I need. I need to have to click. I need the ship to be.
Speaker 9: I need Another young boy.
Speaker 5: There was another young another young boy Priaid that was talking and he was just talking about the Diddy doc and he was like, yeah, man, dude didn't pay the producer two hundred and fifty thousand dollars and the producers say sometimes he woke up with girls, sometimes he woke up with boys.
Speaker 4: And I'm like, what's the producer? He was like, Eric Sermon, I said, no, that was little Rod.
Speaker 2: Oh you said that. Yes, that's what.
Speaker 6: I'm trying to these young people, you know, listen telling me, I'm gonna believe you for a second.
Speaker 4: To make up some clickba You just told me to make up.
Speaker 2: Some believe the documentary. Don't say that thought.
Speaker 4: No, that's my.
Speaker 1: Point to me.
Speaker 8: Want back around.
Speaker 4: You're told you don't even know.
Speaker 2: Don't click My bad.
Speaker 1: It was addressing.
Speaker 2: Let's get into a record of that. What do you want to hear that?
Speaker 1: American is so funny?
Speaker 4: What you want to play? Let's do sidewalk executives man, Yeah, yeah, and.
Speaker 3: Let's get into it now, Euble, we appreciate you.
Speaker 6: No, no, listen, no, because Charlott mane is not being fair. This right here is that's a cool one. But now you usually do a lot more, and I feel like I'm getting shorted.
Speaker 2: But you do icon you have real I was here discovered in nineteen ninety seven.
Speaker 1: You wasn't, No ninety six, I was.
Speaker 2: I was in ninety nine.
Speaker 8: I got one.
Speaker 1: You said the nine and nine.
Speaker 7: You said it with stories you told and the doctor didn't make it tell us one of those stories?
Speaker 8: Oh no, yeah, what's the other four?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: I didn't do that. You're not doing that? But what it? But j just like can that? Hey just listen, just are you gonna make me boy with you?
Speaker 9: Not?
Speaker 5: I already did it earlier, but I'll say it again. When did He drove me around the corners.
Speaker 2: He thank you. I love it.
Speaker 4: I know what.
Speaker 2: I love you.
Speaker 6: Pe, we love you, thank you, we love you.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Club good, wake that ass up in the morning. The Breakfast Club