Speaker 1: Every day we click up the Breakfast Club. You're finish for y'all? Done morning, everybody's the j n V.
Speaker 2: Just hilarious, charlamage the guy we are the breakfast Club, Law and the Roses here as well. We got a special guest in the buildings. Indeed, y'all might know him is Uncle Loop. But ladies and gentlemen, Luther Campbell is here. He's running for Senate, running for Congress.
Speaker 3: Good morning.
Speaker 4: I wish I was, I wish I could vote for I wish I was in Florida.
Speaker 5: And oh man, that's a beautiful thing. So that's official endorsement. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Endorsement, Yes, endorsement, endorsement. Okay, that's great.
Speaker 6: Why would you not want somebody who's from the community, born and raised there, has invested so much in it. We've seen you do so much for your community, just as a as an artist.
Speaker 4: And as a man. So why wouldn't I want that as an elected official?
Speaker 2: From the gift bags to the teaching the kids in football and so many different things. Why wouldn't we want somebody from the community to run the community.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's common sense.
Speaker 5: I mean that's what I'm running on the fact that that did all those things in the community more so. And mind me, but I live in Broward, you know, Browed for the last fifteen years, and that's what I'm running on.
Speaker 1: I'm running on my record, the things that I've done.
Speaker 5: You know, built parks, you know, twenty six million dollar parts, another sixteen million dollars, being one of the one of the founders of Southern hip hop, you know, small business. You know, I'm more proud of the people who work behind the scenior. Other than discovering the pit bulls and trick daddies and getting them boys off the street, you know when they were going the wrong direction. You know, I'm more proud of the guys behind the scene, like Jeff Sanchez working for the NBA and Big Teach owning a you know, a house of mac chain and all those things like that, and those type of things that you know, I want to bring, you know to my district, bring you know, federal funding there unlike anybody else have ever did before, you know, and do some good things for brow County.
Speaker 2: Now, I was looking at Googly running for Congress of what it would cost. Now there's no direct cost, but it says, running for Congress is very, very expensive. Now, how has that been for you? Because I'm sure whoever you're going against is probably sponsored and raising money like crazy, So how has that been for you?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Debbie Wasserman Shoots came into the race from another district. You know, she came in the race with three million dollars and fifteen million dollars in pack money. You know, my other you know, her money combined to all the other opponents that are in, all the other people in the race, you know, triples the amount of money that we all have.
Speaker 1: You know, I got into the race.
Speaker 5: I originally looked down my list of contacts in my phone and I said, well, I got these guys, these guys, these guys, and I really only need by a million or two with this one, this one and doing this fundraiser with Ludacris, I'm doing the fundraiser with Ross, I'm doing the fundraiser with and I thought I was gonna be able to raise millions of dollars.
Speaker 1: And I didn't. I didn't because most people came to the fundraiser for a.
Speaker 5: Photo while you know, and I have a good time, and a lot of people didn't really understand a lot of people don't understand, you know, how important it is to UH to put money into campaigns. I guess the only person who understands Chili with Donald Trump when she made.
Speaker 1: It, you know.
Speaker 5: That, Yeah, I did, you know, But when I look at where we're at right now today, she was smart enough to put money on what candidate that she liked, whether we liked that candidate or not. But why the rest of the hip hop, why the rest of this culture, you know, didn't jump on a race like my race. You know, I've called up comedians and talked to their husband, Black comedians and say, hey, look, I need to do a fundraiser with you, and they said, oh, politics. But at the end of the day of representing the body of people that are purchasing your tickets, which don't make any sense to me. And so, you know, when I look at this race, I say, are we hypocritical? And then I think about it from the standpoint of is the culture ready to move into politics?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 1: And I know.
Speaker 5: Everybody, whether it was Black Caucuss, White caucus, you name it, they're always looking at those fundraisers to see how how they generate funds for a race like that to say yes, you know, you know the cultures us representing all of our life is now, you know, moving into a place where we are really serious about politics.
Speaker 2: I think we're starting to have those conversations now. I think it's we're a lot of late, were a lot of late coming to the table with having those conversations. You know, a lot of people, you know, their first thing is why am I gonna give this person?
Speaker 3: He got money?
Speaker 2: But I don't think they A lot of people don't necessarily know that you need money for advertisement, you need money for travel, you need money for all the things. So for people that's listening right now, it says, hey, we want to support uncle Luke.
Speaker 3: Right where can they donate?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 3: We'll do it throughout this interview, but where can they do it right now?
Speaker 5: They go to my website ww dot Luthercampbell for Congress dot com and make a campaign contribution. I mean, you know, either I tell people, hey, five dollars go a long way. Most of the parties look at the five dollars because the five dollars are real people that's really really supporting the campaign. So we look at that. I mean, you know this with this particular campaign. It's very very important. I mean, the world is watching this race, you know, because we have a situation where we screamed and holler at the Republicans when they Jerryman died the map in Louisiana and Tennessee and Alabama and took black representation away.
Speaker 1: Now the Democrats.
Speaker 5: Are doing it, you know, with w Watson Schultz, and nobody said nothing from the black caucas you know, which I find and to be very hypocritical. But I do understand because it's elite that they support, you know, and uh, and I don't think they would want a guy like myself coming up there to burn it down, because that is in fact what I'm gonna go, do you know. I'm going there to represent the people, real people, real people who are in dealing with real struggles in their life.
Speaker 6: Do you want people to vote for your ideas or for the legend of Uncle Luke, because those aren't necessarily the same thing.
Speaker 5: I want them to vote for my ideas. I want them to vote on on my track record, you know, the things that I've done. You know, I be laughing all the time when I hear Jay Z record when he say Jay maybe I made me. This one made means And then I look at my track record, how many guys that I created and made millionaires, whether it's through my youth program, liber City Optimists are just doing the work in the community, bringing you know, stability and you know, just building and you know, bringing Adidas to the table to you know, broke a fifty million dollar deal for the entire school district for sports, you know, and those type of things. So you know, I don't I don't want people to look at me as an artist. But then at the same time, you can't look at me as an entrepreneur because the people in my race, nobody has.
Speaker 1: Held the job. They all came.
Speaker 5: And you know, well, my main opponent never held a job. She went straight from University of Florida into politics and never had a never owned a small business. And so I look at it to say I owned.
Speaker 1: A small business.
Speaker 5: I did I do to this day philanthropical work, you know, in my community, and that's the most important part of it. And you know, people run because they have money, but I really think that you should. When they do the qualification box, it needs to say how much work you've done in the community and how many things you've done, and when I could sit there all day and talk about all the stuff that I did that most people don't know, uh, and how deep I've always been in the politics because I do understand that, you know, our tax paying dollars, you know, going to the slush fund.
Speaker 2: They try to use, you know, Uncle Luke the rapper against you. Have you seen that a lot?
Speaker 5: Not really that? And and I was I thought they were. I was laying dead.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 6: They came when they was in the club to them.
Speaker 7: Because like with the with everything you did with the Supreme Court, and NA says, they want to be like you've kind of been fighting for people and their voices, so.
Speaker 4: You kind of I mean, you have the reason that we have.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, so that wouldn't work out for them if they tried.
Speaker 1: It wouldn't work out.
Speaker 5: And you're right, I mean in this climate today, you know, going to Washington, you got to be a fighter. And so that was one of the reasons why I say, Okay, the time is down to run for Congress because of what the climate that you have. You got to be a fighter, you know, and fight for free speech, going all the way to Supreme Court and winning. When I had our Gore and his wife Tipic Gored coming after us, and you know, and having uh, you name it, dan Quell mentioned our name and fighting Nick Navarro and fighting out the Governor Martinez and making songs about him.
Speaker 1: You know that was something serious.
Speaker 5: Those are real fights, and and uh, I'm not I'm not scared of anybody, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I'm not scared of Trump.
Speaker 5: You know, we all probably went to a party other than going to when he was a Democrat. You know, Marco Rubio a good friend of mine, you know, so I know I can go have some conversations with those people about some of the things.
Speaker 1: That that our district need and the country need.
Speaker 9: Want to go back to It's funny that you say, you know, you reached out to certain you know, comedians and people, and the first thing needed was get shook, like, oh my god, no, you're going into politics. When I saw a quote that you said, politics don't only happen in Washington, d C. It happens every day at your kitchen table, and a lot of time people don't even realize that, yeah, you are into politics. But when I first got this job, I thought I didn't know anything about it.
Speaker 10: But you know more than you think you know?
Speaker 9: You know, can you expound doing like the politics being every day at the kitchen table because some people don't even realize.
Speaker 1: Yeah, most people don't.
Speaker 5: Most people don't realize it because for some reason, you know, in our community, there's no we just missed the Civics class, you know what I'm saying. Uh, And I when I start talking to people, I have to have those conversations, like even the artists that support the campaign, I have to explain to them, you know, why fundraiser these different things. And then going back to your original question, we are all in it. You know when we sit down at the kitchen table and we complain about the high cost of living, the high cost of insurance, and in Florida, you know, you got insurance that's jacked up on top of everything else that's jacked up, and so people are trying to figure out how to how to bayle. That's the budget at the kitchen table, and it all falls back on politics. You don't un necessary things that you need. So people don't know that they're in it, but they do know that they're in it. And one good thing about these people in my district. They're well aware of the issue. They're well aware of this woman, Debbie washermon Shoes coming and trying to take away a seat, and everybody has denounced her on every corner. I mean, because I mean when you look at people talk about Memphis right in the crime rate at Memphis, you know, and not knowing.
Speaker 1: How it got there.
Speaker 5: You had Gerald Ford Senior, you know, the congressman, then Gerald Ford Jr. Congressman, and then you had a guy named Steve Cohen, then ran in a crowded race of black people, like this crowded race of black people here and one. And at that period of time when the Ford family were the congressman, they only had one hundred and sixty debts, and now that Steve is that they have three hundred.
Speaker 1: And eighty five debts a year. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: So these are the things that happen when you have a representative coming to your district that is not from the district and don't have any idea of how people function on a regular basis.
Speaker 6: I want to go back to what you were saying about the community qualifying you, right, what's something you've learned coaching kids and serving you know, your community that these career politicians simply can't understand.
Speaker 5: What they can't understand is taking a budget, taking this budget and applying the budget to.
Speaker 1: The people in the community, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: So I mean, you know, coaching, you know, you know when I get on a bus for eighteen years, you know, when my career don down, I said'm'n go back to my youth program and start coaching and get on the bus, you know, because I need to take these kids out of the community.
Speaker 1: Because what happened with me.
Speaker 5: You know, when I was running hard in the city, my mom sent me the d see to stay with my brother for a year, and that just opened my mind up. Just taking these kids out of the community, put them on the bus, taking them to college, on the college tour around the country.
Speaker 1: Oh, you know, just like, Okay, these kids do look like you, you know, and so they don't understand that part of it.
Speaker 5: They don't understand, you know, the real touching of people and being able to, like I say, to get a trick daddy off the street, come straight from prison and live with me and pit Bull who's out there hustling and selling everything you can imagine, you know, and bringing those people and just putting the hug around them and say, man, you're special. You God gave you a gift. Use this gift to your ability. And they don't understand that part. And then they don't understand vision, I mean simple vision of Okay, we're gonna you know, like my plan is like they never expanded the port in sixty years. In the budget, there's five being house expand the port that brings in more jobs. They don't underst the common folk don't understand that that. You know, when you build affordable housing, what happens we build afordabs. We tell the people in the projects, we're gonna move you over here and we're gonna build these new houses for you. And then when you come back, you got to jump through all kind of hoops, but you can't qualify to get back in there because they built it for them. And you know, and that's why, you know, that's why I kind of went hard last week on Alonzo morning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because because you know, you can't be a part.
Speaker 5: You can't roll around with Trump hood housing guy. What the brother name got to bring freeze when he was there in his first administration. And you go into these government projects and you're going.
Speaker 1: Now, you're.
Speaker 5: You can't run around our projects were being carson and then then turn around try to run around with with W. Watson shoe Sou's trying to take black representation away from a district that has held black representation.
Speaker 1: So many years. So they don't they don't understand it.
Speaker 4: I mean, what was it about it that pissed you off?
Speaker 1: Some back?
Speaker 4: I know he endorsed w but he not even from the district, right.
Speaker 1: No, not even from the district. Don't even hang out in Broadwood.
Speaker 5: But but we know that some there are some people you know that are in there, that are in in.
Speaker 1: Our town, and they're there. They're there to take advantage.
Speaker 5: They're they're they're part of the uh you know, they're the black face uh in the white organization that is trying to take over you know, these housing projects. They're to develop us. And you know that's why my campaign, I ain't take no money. I ain't take no APEG money. I ain't taking no developers money because I already know I ain't take no no alligated Alcatraz developers money.
Speaker 1: You know a lot of these people came to me, I say, no, I mean we we all come from the street.
Speaker 5: If you if you take something, you know, from somebody, then you got to pay them back, you know.
Speaker 1: And I ain't. I ain't about to sell out of our community.
Speaker 5: And that's why everything saying about what I'm doing bringing jobs instability to the district is built by us for us.
Speaker 2: Explain that a little you mentioned it a little bit, but for people that don't understand, they redrew the district so she could actually.
Speaker 3: Run in your area.
Speaker 2: So explain that to people that have no idea what that means, because she's not from your your area as well from your district as well either.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So basically what happened with every jerry manner of the map with all these red states. When they jerry manded the map in Alabama, Tennessee, and Louisiana taking black representation away.
Speaker 1: They did it in Florida with Ron DeSantis.
Speaker 5: So he jerrymandered the map, took black representation, not necessarily, he did not necessarily take black representation away. He merged Dewid wasserman Shows district with.
Speaker 1: With Jerry Moscow's district.
Speaker 5: Right, and so she had she had a choice to either run in our district or run against him, which she should have for us. See all, she could have ran in twenty two where Joe Biden won twenty two by five percent Donald Trump wonted by ten percent, which she could have flipped a seat, you know, to help us win the House. But she did not elect to do that. You know, she elected to run in this crowded field of black of folks in Congresional District twenty which is where I'm running at with fifty four percent African Americans. The seat has been held by alste Hasten and others for over thirty years. And uh and she's you know, bringing her her her little.
Speaker 1: Show over there.
Speaker 3: Easy win to go against that, exactly exactly.
Speaker 5: And so and I always tell people this player has always this played it ran before it ran, when Steve Cohen did it in Memphis. And you see what happened to Memphis, you know. And uh, it's hard, you know, it just it sickens me, you know, to.
Speaker 1: Be honest with you. When I go to farms and talk, I mean I go hard. I don't even play with her. You know.
Speaker 5: If I go into an event and she's at the event, you know, I go home because you've never been in this community. You represented billionaires in your district, You represent a billionaires, so you're gonna come into.
Speaker 1: This district because it's a big.
Speaker 5: Feel of African Americans, and you figure that you need the white vote. But I tell her, I went in you know, white communities, and say, look this, the world is watching this election.
Speaker 1: If you vote the way that they think you're gonna.
Speaker 5: Vote, black men, and the alarm and Rader's leaving the Democratic Party for this simple reason. Right here, I said, I represent the culture, you know, and I'm trying to save the party by putting myself in this position to run for a seat that only paying one hundred and seventy thousand dollars, you know, which I can get on the weekend, a couple of weekends. But at the end of the day, you got to make the sacrifice. And so, you know, I just find it appalling that she does that. And I find it real syncing that the Black Congressional caucuss just sit there and did not denounce her and did not even did not uh support anybody in our race. You know, I find that very hypocritical. So it tells me, well, who really running the Democratic Party?
Speaker 2: Who else were you surprised, And I'm sure he was probably surprised with alones on morning, and you're surprised with.
Speaker 3: The call because who else were you surprised that that are not speaking out that should be.
Speaker 1: Especially haiking Jeffrey came.
Speaker 5: I'm very surprised that he's sitting there, ain't saying nothing. I'm surprised the young lady who runs the Democratic Party is sitting there not saying nothing, because again, think about it, is.
Speaker 4: Then Washington short back by Apex.
Speaker 5: Of course you know that bingo is you already know.
Speaker 1: But that's the play. That's the play.
Speaker 5: So do we really have black representation in the black caucus when this is the moment you're supposed to speak out on behalf of black representation because you went hard on the Republicans saying that the Jerseyman map and taking away black representation representation, but you're not going hard on a member of your own party, you know what I'm saying. And then here we got this black caucus whereas all black people.
Speaker 1: You know, and y'all just sitting there. I mean, what are we doing?
Speaker 5: So I look at it from the standpoint as you know, the world is watching but at the same time, you need to watch you a black representative in Congress to see if they really really are here for you.
Speaker 6: As alono morning, do you reach out after you called him out?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 5: I actually called him out a long time ago, many many years ago.
Speaker 4: I just saw a video like last week.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so in twenty and in twenty seventeen, when he built his old I C Center, which is great, which is a great center.
Speaker 1: The kids from over town, like my mom is.
Speaker 5: From over Town, and guy named Ben Hanks who run the program over there and the man you're watching.
Speaker 1: They called me up and they say, look, man, we can't get in the gym.
Speaker 5: Nasum a lot of money just built this pretty gym, names him, and they won't let us in. They won't let the kids of over town in the gym. They're bringing in these kids from everywhere else. So I'm like, oh, is this upfront? What the hell is going on? So, you know, we you know, I was doing columns in the moment in New Times at the time. Bro the column you know, try to reach out to him, never got him. And so at the end of the day I went and said, Okay, fuck it, let me fix the problem. You know, I went to Joe Ariola, you know, the city manager at the time, and say, Joe, this dude ain't letting these kids of Overtown in this building. He's right sitting on the property of Gifson Park. What can we do?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 5: And I we identified twenty six million dollars to go and redo Gifson Parks. So we literally built the gymnasium right next to his gym nays on the same property, which makes.
Speaker 1: No sense, makes no sense, It makes no sense.
Speaker 5: So if you go and on your way to South Beach and you look down on the right hand side and you see this pretty park, you know, we went and got twenty six million dollars to redo that park, but you'll see a gymnasium sitting right next to him that we had to build, which don't make any sense, you know, right next to another one. So you know, again, those are the type of things that you know that I had a problem with at that time.
Speaker 1: You know, and I called him out on it. You know, we kind of squashed it.
Speaker 5: But when he jumped in this race, you know, I was like, come on, man, come on, brother, I mean, you know, you see me in this race. Everybody knows that I'm in this race, you know, and why would you do something like that? You know, and I already know it's for the developers, because this lady is coming in there to finish gentrifyed in the neighborhood and everybody else that's in the race.
Speaker 1: That's the old thing.
Speaker 4: Has anybody from the black caucas resef.
Speaker 5: The brow kind of black carawcers killed them, you know, like denounce her. You know Florida, you know, every black politician denounced it, but the black caucus no. I mean, they've had people who work with them, you know, call up and say, hey, man, we understand. You know, you're passion and understanding all this and everything, and you know we're just watching them.
Speaker 1: I'm like, man, I'm not trying to hear that.
Speaker 5: You're gonna stand on business, stand on business, you know, stand for something, because this is the moment that you need to stand up and h and address this issue.
Speaker 6: And if you win, what's something you'll refuse to become because you know, Washington has a way of changing people.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's funny that you you said you asked that we were doing a robo call and it was a lady that got on the phone.
Speaker 1: Site. You know, like y'all go in good, but then you come out bad. You know what I'm saying. I mean she was passionate. I'm like, oh my god, I'm like no. See that's the thing.
Speaker 5: The difference, the difference in our politicians are most of them are looking for a job, you know, to be honest with you, and that's why we're easy to be influenced.
Speaker 1: That's why you know, these special.
Speaker 5: Interest groups will go and identify individuals looking for a job, and then they prop them up, put a bunch of money in the campaign, buy a bunch of advertisements, and you end up getting the wrong guy.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: So when I go in, my job is one thing is to bring money to my congressional district. I mean, I look at it's too many things that we can get done. I mean I can bring a I can bring a tax credit. Florida don't have a tax credit like Atlanta. And you just built you know, some beautiful studios here in Jersey.
Speaker 1: I could bring in a tax credit.
Speaker 5: I can bring it to two hundred and fifty million dollars and give a fifty percent tax credit.
Speaker 1: Bring studios down there.
Speaker 5: People have reached out to me and they saw that, you know, and uh again we all got a affordable housing shortage.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: For my my plan is not My plan is to go find the individuals in the community and have them employ eight kids and adults in the community, so that brings resources back into the community, you know, other than going to get you know, Julio Ramundo, and Julio Ramundo is coming there building the buildings and the money is going back to him and his family, and they're leaving out of the district. So everything about my plan is about bringing resource what is back, but employing and helping people.
Speaker 7: What's your what's your thoughts on like when you're trying to bring those resources back, people who don't agree with the fact that you're so outspoken, even within your party, trying to block that. Like I saw you call out the Democrats for the ballot stuff, right, the mail in ballot stuff. People get upset about that, and if they got to help you, they won't. So how do you navigate that type of situation?
Speaker 1: Well, that's that's that's a part of you know, where we're at right now today.
Speaker 5: I mean I come from the hip hop culture, you know, I come from the culture, and in our culture. We call people out whether you like it or not. You know, we represent our people, you know. And so when I when you know, just like you say, people got all upset, and I say, I can't believe I'm agreeing with Donald Trump and him saying that mail in ballots are bad, and how they are doing the mail in balant So now here I am in this race and I'm watching how you know, these folks, these career politicians and a male race.
Speaker 1: Are operating.
Speaker 5: You know, you're doing you know, and I'm learning ballot harvesting.
Speaker 1: You know, it's like harvesting. What is ballot harvest ballad harvesting.
Speaker 5: Is is praying on old people at the senior citizen home, taking them to the dinner's, taking them to all year long, and taking them out.
Speaker 1: To the beach, into the bowling alley.
Speaker 5: And then the guy who's doing it, they trust in him and he fills out their ballot because they trust him because he's been grooming him for an entire year. And then you know, looking at this app like I can show you on my app, well, I know exactly who meld in their ballot. We get an update every hour on the hour, and it tells us who actually melt in their ballot and who has a melion ballot.
Speaker 1: So they'll look at the eighty five.
Speaker 5: Year old senior or the ninety three year old senor noticed that she didn't melt in her ballot, or at the beginning, knock on the door and say, you know, Ms Martha, you know I want to go and I'm gonna take your ballot for you, you know. And they're doing that, and it's this stuff is on ring camera. See they've been doing it forever, but we got ring camera now. So they're sending me ring cameras. Are people you know, with these candidates shirts on, acting these people before they ballot, which is crazy. And so you know when I mentioned Trump, soon as you invoked Trump and any kind of agreement with with him, people get worked up, you know. But you know, I was making the point that that is actually happening. That needs to stop, you know, and uh, yeah, so they're trying to rig the election.
Speaker 7: Another thing that happens is you got the other side will take that those comments and use it as you endorsing something that Donald Trump.
Speaker 8: That's like that's the way that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I was like what and I clicked and I was like, Oh, I get what he's trying to say. But the way politics is set up, it looks like Uncle Luca's with Trump on certain things now.
Speaker 1: Right right right? Yeah?
Speaker 5: They, I mean they and they do that, and that's what you know. I'm okay with living by my comments and my stance on it. And I always tell people just listen to their entire conversation. But at the at the end of the day, if ron the Santis is right on something, I'm gonna agree with it, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Ninety nine percent of the time he's wrong.
Speaker 5: If Trump is right on something in a situation, and I agree with it, but we need to just fix the problem.
Speaker 4: That's the only way to build trust. You build trust by just calling it like it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm going I gotta tell people, I'm not going there to fight these people. I'm going there to get something done.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: If I make if I create Black Wall Street in my district, which is what my plan is all about, then we could do that in any of the.
Speaker 1: District, any other congression black congressional.
Speaker 5: District in the country, you know, and we have we have in this beautiful district, the opportunity to do that, and the resources from the federal government to do that, and so I'm not Look, they can call me purple all they want, you know, me and Marco Rubio, I know him.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Every time I you know, sponsored trips with kids that and make donations. His son played football with every kid from the community I mean.
Speaker 1: Plays at the University of Florida right now. So we have a relationship with We are totally separated on politics.
Speaker 5: But when you're facing TPS and deportation right now, you know, and my district is full of Haitian immigrants who are owned the GPS. You know, I'm the only one that can get on the phone and have a conversation with this dude. You know what I'm saying, Hey, look, you know this is service industry here here. You gonna crash the service industry or you're gonna, you know, deport people who are out there in the fields, you know, you know, you know.
Speaker 1: Harvesting the fruit, not the ballast, but the fruit.
Speaker 5: And we're gonna be facing some economical crisis if you do these things, you know. So you know, it's a big difference. I mean, when your birth of fresh air, you going to Washington, you can go in there and get some things done. I'm only going there for four six years at the most. You know what I'm saying. You know, I'm in the fourth quarter of my life. Want to go in rest, relax. I'm just going there to fix some things. And then, uh, sixty five.
Speaker 4: Ain't in the fourth quarter. Man, that's the fourth quarter now half time. In ten years, you'll be.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no.
Speaker 10: You know if you are living now like five times, you.
Speaker 1: Know, these dudes don't want to give.
Speaker 9: Wow and and ask him the year he was going to watch how he say it?
Speaker 4: He wanted to be hundred and seventy years.
Speaker 6: You don't want to ask lu because you you fought one of the biggest free speech battles in hip hop right well really American history. Honestly, in today's world of social media where you got cancel coachure and AI, what is free speech mean to you?
Speaker 4: Now? Has your definition change? Because I be thinking some people need to shut the fuck up.
Speaker 1: Some people do need to shut the fuck up.
Speaker 5: I mean, I mean, hey, when I thought it was those social media thank god it wasn't those social media because all y'all boys, you know they didne went to some of my parties.
Speaker 1: They didn't. They didn't tell you about it. Another show. That's another show, front and center. I mean, free speech.
Speaker 5: Just like you say, yes, some people need some people need to shut the fuck up.
Speaker 1: But I defended.
Speaker 5: I mean, so you know everybody nowadays, you know, everybody got a platform. They turned on the social media, they got a platform, and they just running them out talking about a lot of things and and and a lot of things that a lot of people talk about, you know, getting a lot of people killed.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: Unfortunately, you know, young people are leaving here because of some of the things that are being said on social media.
Speaker 1: So you know, I agree, I agree.
Speaker 5: I mean, fighting for free speech, going all the way to the Supreme Court and winning. I mean, what people don't realize, what people don't realize is that case was about parody. Parody was protected by the First Amendment, and it was much more of a case for comedies, for comedy, for comics. You know, Michael Jackson wrote, uh, Phil sent a brief in against me. Dollar partner sent brief against me. Saturday Night Live sent a brief in for me. And so that's what. Yeah, yeah, he fired a brief against us. Yeah, because he didn't think he didn't think people should do parody. Yeah, so he had a problem with that, and so they fired briefs against me to lose my case.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 5: And then Saturday Night Live because they do all the you know, satire, so you know, comedians benefit from that. But then the most important one was, uh, that's is it want to be? You know, that's want to be was the I've seen. And so I had to go back in and get that reverse, that ruling reverse.
Speaker 1: If I didn't get the ruling reverse, then it would be almost like the Man Act. Damn still on the books, you feel me.
Speaker 5: And if it's still on the books, then any rapper right now, are any artists that are singing records with oh Judio o'brown and this and that and shaking the ass on stage and doing all the things that I went to jail for, they wouldn't they would be able to use that case law to then take those records off the shelf put those artists in jail. And people don't realize that. And that's why when I when I went on this run, I was I was like Okay, ship, I know all these artists you know who I paid the wait for the dump some money in this campaign because now we taking on a whole nother fight.
Speaker 1: And then it's like, no.
Speaker 8: They scared that it'll come out publicly because I.
Speaker 6: Don't think if you haven't read oncle Luke's book, they don't know their history.
Speaker 4: You don't.
Speaker 3: That's why I don't know.
Speaker 8: The older artists though there, because it's not just young like that.
Speaker 6: I think they know what they don't know. To the extent what you just said just now makes so much sense. And even though I knew it, I never thought about it like that. I could have still been on the book.
Speaker 4: Could could have in jail.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 8: Yeah, all these records running for the summer.
Speaker 5: Lady cop, every every explicit record could have you know, because the president would have been.
Speaker 1: Set in the federal court.
Speaker 5: And I actually when when they when they deemed the record I've seen I went right down the street and did a show.
Speaker 1: I was like this, I'm gonna go right down the street and do a show.
Speaker 5: And the crazy part about all of it, everything happening in this district that I'm running from, you know, even though I lived in Miami, and so I really never repaid the people of Broad County for acquitting me on all those cases and creating, you know, those juries of my peers, and so that people don't realize they automatically look at the Supreme Court case and thinking that was the hip hop case. No, the hip hop case was nastiest, want to be was deemed up scene. And and if I don't go get that ship turned over overturned on a on appeal, then we're in deep trouble as to where we're at right now.
Speaker 2: Do you ever spoke to Michael Jackson's people about that when he sent that in or no?
Speaker 5: It is no, No, I mean you got you gotta realized at that time I was getting sued by well, he didn't sue me. I got sued by damn George Lucas cause you know my nickname as the DJ.
Speaker 1: Was Louke Skywars. Wow. Yeah, did you have sue by him?
Speaker 3: Did you always knew you were gonna win?
Speaker 2: Or you had you thought you were gonna lose during that time when you was fighting like crazy, you.
Speaker 3: Knew you were gonna win it? Were you nervous because you were fighting everybody?
Speaker 1: I was fighting there. I mean, it was, it was.
Speaker 5: It was a fight on all different fronts. I mean because back then, back then you did not you know, we weren't clean samples. There was no such thing. It wasn't nobody. So I got sample clearance people coming after me. I got you know, Roy Orbison coming after me. And then I got this.
Speaker 1: Chef Navarro in the district running he coming after me.
Speaker 5: I got the Governor, I got Dann Quaid, I got see the Lord's Tucker, I got ship, you got everybody had everybody.
Speaker 1: In the world.
Speaker 5: So I'm I'm sitting there like you know, I'm a I'm a little young dude from from you know, Liberty City, you know, two bedroom houses and came from nothing.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: I'm just laughing, you know, because my path was either jail or you know, jail in the graveyard, you know, And so I'm laughing at all this.
Speaker 1: But at the same time, you know, I figured I would win.
Speaker 5: I figured I would win because you know, when they do a mill test day, you know, in those cases, just a test of what's.
Speaker 1: Acceptable in the in the community.
Speaker 5: And okay, you got Playboy Channel, you got Playboy, you got bookstores, you got strip clubs, and so that's what the community standards are.
Speaker 1: So I knew I was gonna win that. How millions of dollars? Millions?
Speaker 3: Did you get any of it? Could you sue to get any of it back back then?
Speaker 4: Or you didn't?
Speaker 5: No, no millions of dollars? I mean it was crazy. But but that was the first album. Yeah, yeah, it for me, it was it was about what's going on right now today. I looked at it. I looked at it because my dad and my uncle, you know, Jamaican dad and my and my Bahama and uncle.
Speaker 1: You know, they taught me about history, you know.
Speaker 5: So I was the perfect storm, you know, because I couldn't look at cartoons. It made me look at you know, uh h Rap Brown. He knew they you know, the struggle. And they always told me, say, man, when you get our age, y'all gonna have invincible change on y'all you're gonna think you free, but you're not. So you need to understand black history and how it works. And so when they came after me, I knew, you know, here I am, you know, uh, Dice Clay and everybody and Millie Jackson and you name it red Fox. Everybody did everything that I did on the record, you know, But at the end of the day, I'm I'm own I own my own company, you know, and I'm not affiliated with none of these giants, and I'm making all the money, you know what I'm saying, I'm manufacturing, distributing, and so I became an easy target.
Speaker 1: But plus you add on the.
Speaker 5: Politics of it all with with those politicians and saying, little man, I want to take this dude down.
Speaker 1: You know, for the sake of recon seals to It was coming from everywhere. It was coming from you.
Speaker 4: Mentioned one name, nor that I do.
Speaker 6: The older I get, I'd be like, man, you know what she was right when you really see the Lord s Tuckle was right on a lot of stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you are. I mean, you got it.
Speaker 4: She was.
Speaker 6: I mean when she she she was talking about, uh, you know, the exploitation, the corporate exploitation. You have black culture and the normalization of anti social behavior.
Speaker 4: So that's why she was against.
Speaker 6: The hyper violent lyrics and and the gangster rapping, the the she used to call it a cultural pornography. You know, the men used to talk about the women. But she was just basically saying that corporate America was taking advantage of the degradation of black people.
Speaker 4: She was right, I can't lie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean I have to agree, you know, I have I have to agree when it comes to you know, corporate America, even right now today.
Speaker 1: You know, you know I was, I was being responsible.
Speaker 5: You know when when I did create the Perennial Advisory Sticker, and we were all of our stuff came from comedy. You know, when you look listen to our early albums, you know, we were just having fun, dudes. You know, we were just taking the Leroy Skilling and Dolomite and putting these those underground comedians and aunt Esther and Red Fox on our records. But then once they told me, hey, look kids are getting this. You know, that's when I created the Perennal Advisory Sticker. And then I created the whole thing of you know, okay, you know, use the same scenario.
Speaker 1: As the movie.
Speaker 5: Theaters used the same scenario buying cigarettes. You know, we created the two versions of the record. Uh so it was for adults responsible for responsible adults.
Speaker 1: But yes, she she, she, she did make a lot of sense on a lot.
Speaker 6: Of things, and that when she talked about the three P Flag where she was like the corporate Americas leading people to or I had written that prison pipeline, the person the three P plag prison parole in probation. She said that the lyrics promoted a genocide of war against young black men, accelerating what she called three P flag, prison parole and probation.
Speaker 1: Yes, she was. She was. I never spoke to her. I never spoke to her.
Speaker 5: It was one time I think we were supposed to do a panel together and then.
Speaker 1: Some reason I didn't make it to that one.
Speaker 5: But I mean, yeah, she was. She was way ahead of her time on a lot of things. I just wish we probably could just sat down, you know, me and her, because again you got to understand, we would put on a we all would put on on this typical list, you know, this black list. You know, her husband being a senator, you know, and they're going after me ice tea, n w A, and we're all were just getting this from everywhere to the point that we didn't know who was pushing the narrative.
Speaker 1: Whether you was really you know, whether it was really you.
Speaker 5: Are it wasn't corporate America, and these politicians, because we know these politicians have a tendency of of you know, spending money where they're trying to make these points.
Speaker 4: That's right elements.
Speaker 6: And that's why I said, the older I get the realized, Oh, she wasn't fighting against black people and young black men. She was fighting against the corporations like she even she bought stock and a bunch of these conglomerates like Toime Warner and Sony just so she go to the shareholder meetings to confront the executives for profit and off the degradation.
Speaker 4: Of black people.
Speaker 1: Wow, and I didn't know that.
Speaker 4: I got him like, oh see, the Lord Tuckle was ahead her time.
Speaker 1: She was actually right, Yeah, because we painted her. We painted a picture of her.
Speaker 5: As the villain, like you know number one, you know her and you know typical and all these different people there. You know, it was coming from everywhere, so we you know, like I said, at the time, you didn't know you know what what what was funding these forces?
Speaker 6: I asked Snoop about that, and Snoops, So yeah, she was right. He just didn't like her approach. She was like he said. Maxine Waters used to say the same thing to y'all.
Speaker 4: Her approach was different.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Fredrick Wilson, same thing, totally different.
Speaker 1: I mean, her approach was totally different.
Speaker 5: And then at at one point, you know, she was you know, she was she was a school board member. She was like banning all of the girls dancing to the songs and everything.
Speaker 1: Uh. But then again, you know.
Speaker 5: Once she started realizing what was the part of the culture, then she started embracing people like you know, Trick Daddy, and we had conversations and had understandings of what was going on in the community. And so, you know, yes, it was when you take that harsh approach when we already getting you know, we're getting heat from everybody else.
Speaker 1: You know, at that time, it was you name it. They were after.
Speaker 3: Us, Uncle Luke Man. Make sure you go out and support them.
Speaker 2: Tell them how they can support hey dollar five dollars, ten dollars, twenty dollars or high.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean all high. Yeah, I mean that.
Speaker 5: You know, it's important to go to the website ww dot Luther Campbell for Congress dot com. Just come be a volunteer, you know, come knock on some doors and work at the pole, you know, at the poles crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 11: She was like, that's a bout of quod, because how do you convince her grandmother, right, who remembers Uncle Luke from the nineties, that you're the right person to represent them in Washington.
Speaker 5: Let me tell you, it's funny, right, because I go to these farms and I go to these churches, right, and the grandma again I'm sixty five, right, and the grandma it's like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I went to your club Strawberries. You know what I'm saying. Yeah, I went to your club Lukes Byman Beach.
Speaker 5: And then if you ever know, like Grandma, you know, you know exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: So I mean it is very interesting.
Speaker 5: Most other people from South Florida, they grew up with me, you know, because at the end of the day, I started out as a DJ with two speakers, and then I went from two speakers to sixteen speakers, and before you know it, I'm one of the first guys to bring hip hop to Miami. And so they grew up with me. So it's like nothing you could tell those people down there how bad I am, because they was with me every step of the way, and even when the government came after me, I was like, no, we know him. You know he used the DJ ad the baby Shower and DJ and the park.
Speaker 1: And all these different things.
Speaker 5: And we know where he came from, bro And so I don't really have that problem, you know, I.
Speaker 1: Thought I would, but I don't. A lot of great history from people.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Luther, Luther Campbell. It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, hold up every
Speaker 6: Day a wake ago, click your ass up, The Breakfast Club Finishing, y'all done,