Speaker 1: Hello, Yeah, this is Dakota.
Speaker 2: Oh hey Dakota, Dakota like this like North and South Dakota. Oh absolutely, what's up Dakota. How you doing today?
Speaker 1: I'm doing pretty good. I got off work.
Speaker 2: I'm uh.
Speaker 1: I'm working on my hearse right now, getting ready for Hearst com this weekend.
Speaker 2: Shut the fuck up, there is there is no such thing as hearse.
Speaker 1: Con dead ass. It's in Denver, Colorado. A few hundred hearses go. We have like one hundred vendors, some live music. It's a pretty stick time.
Speaker 2: Get the fuck out, you're you're literally dead ass.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wow. Do you just like I have a question, do you work for like a funeral thing or do you do you just do you just drive a hearse as your personal car?
Speaker 1: I just I drive a hearse as my daily driver. I work in the halloween industry. Whenever that comes around, it's like as a scare. And I actually I won the hearst earlier this year at a Halloween trade show and expo.
Speaker 2: You won a hearse. What was the competition?
Speaker 1: Yeah, uh yeah. It's just charity giveaway. So you buy raffle tickets and all the money goes towards charity. The hearse is donated from a funeral home, so it was just retired earlier this year, and yeah, they give it away and I just got lucky.
Speaker 2: And this is your day to day vehicle. You go, you go grocery shopping in this hearse.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely, I was just at Walmart actually buying spray cans earlier.
Speaker 2: Do you get weird looks on the street.
Speaker 1: All the time. I mean it's not every day you see a hearse. And mine's a little pimped out, So you.
Speaker 2: Know, what does a hurt? What do you mean pimped out? What is that? How do you pimp out a hearse?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So I have a bunch of like stainless steel art pieces I made on the side, because you know it's a big like canvas top, So I have a bunch of like flowers and leaves on the side. I have a special hood ornament I made with like a bat on top of a skull, like its wings out. Yeah, eventually I'd like to get some underglow lower it, but you know, I just got earlier this year, so we uh, we got some time to do that.
Speaker 2: Hmm. And you say you work in the halloween industry, Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 1: I helped maintain like the Halloween animatronics, you know, like the little crappy scary monsters that jump out at you. And then I'm also a scare actor.
Speaker 2: What do you is that your full time job? Is that? Like a do you spend eleven months of the year preparing for Halloween?
Speaker 1: I wish that's that's a part of the dream. But right now I'm a metal artist. I actually make big metal cactuses of the full time job. And then you know, for four or five months of the year, whenever I have free time, I help out with our local hont house.
Speaker 2: Wow, you're a You're you're a cool cookie, Dakota. This is this is fascinating.
Speaker 4: Hmm, thank you.
Speaker 2: Do you do you ever make like, uh, this feels like a burning Man thing like you make? Like you ever make a sculpture for that?
Speaker 1: I've I've wanted to. I actually learned about Bernie Man through you. I was listening to your podcast earlier and y'all were talking about going to Bernie Man.
Speaker 2: Mhm. So you make big metal sculptures.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, primarily cactuses. I work for a comp. Oh go ahead, no, you go ahead. Yeah, I work for a company and all we do is we make metal cactuses. I do all of their bigger surrar caractices. And you were from seven feet up to twenty one feet tall.
Speaker 2: So why what you know? What's so funny? As I love I love the various like things that exist that keep people employed. You know what I mean? Like like like that's such a specific thing that you work for a this is a company. How many people work at this metal cactus company?
Speaker 1: More than you think? I think right now we have close to like forty employees. You have with costcos and stuff you do, you do a lot of what oh, I like deals with Costco. So like I I live in Kansas, which is such a weird place to have a cactus company, and then we ship everything out to like Nevada, Arizona, a bunch of like casinos, buyer stuff.
Speaker 2: What what is the most okay? Because I the economics of places is interesting to me. Like I remember maybe I've talked about this on the podcast before, but I remember I was I went to Coachella one year and I was driving from Los Angeles to the Coachella Valley and along that route is a bunch of like really really small California towns with like low populations, And I saw I was driving and I saw a mattress store in this small town, and I was like, how many people a year buy in this town? Need to buy a mattress and go to this place so that it can pay rent and pay for all these like employees, you know what I mean? Like how many? What is what is the market demand for metal cactuses?
Speaker 1: You you be very surprised, to be honest with you. So we're constantly like with our bigger sculptures, everything's made to order. Right now, we have like a four month wait on our cerro cactuses, But then we do a lot of like high production volume stuff that goes into Costco and stuff like that. I mean we just fulfilled like a you know, the six thousand count five foot tall like sorrow cactus order for Costco. So I mean we're constantly busy. Our slowless time is January and February, and even then we're barely keeping up with demand.
Speaker 2: Why do why do people want these metal cactices? No offense? I don't know, I don't know what they Why do people want these things?
Speaker 1: I honestly cannot tell you. I mean it's just the art art. It's like, we deal with a lot of landscapers and you know it just it looks pretty in your yard. But our stuff is way too expensive. I would never buy anything from us.
Speaker 2: I mean, what's a metal cactus?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What's what's a metal cactus? Run you?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So, like are the cheapest cactus I make is a sub foot tall cactus and it goes like eighteen hundred dollars. Then our nine foot one goes up to twenty five hundred, and then it just goes up from there. I mean, we have cactices that cost like seventeen grand.
Speaker 2: Dakota. Who the fuck is buying these cactuses?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't deal with our customers. I just make the shit.
Speaker 2: You don't know you? Well, how do you not know that? You've never you've never? You just I love you know what? Actually it's I actually think it's great that you don't know that, because you've just been spending years of your life making big metal cactuses and not asking any questions about it. Really.
Speaker 1: I mean sometimes I'll ask, like who bought this big order and then they'll just say, oh, some casino and guess, like all right, that's I guess scared enough for me?
Speaker 2: What what is your what's can? I are you? Is it kosher if you plug this? Because I want to look. I want to see these cactuses.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Our company is called Desert Steel. Anyway you can see oh yeah, Instagram, Facebook. We have a website. Like I said, we do a lot of cheaper stuff. I just do a lot of the more expensive, lower volume stuff. So like we I think our cheapest thing is like one hundred, one hundred and fifty.
Speaker 2: Okay, here we go, and then I'm on your guys website right now, okay, shop These are all metal cactuses. Wait, okay, I will say this. These look really cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they look good.
Speaker 2: This is not an ad. By the way, this is this seems like a very elaborate ad. I promise it's not. Yeah, Like I'm looking at this five piece Mexican fence post. Okay, this looks. This looks really cool, But like, who the fuck is spending seven hundred dollars to buy this?
Speaker 1: I don't know, you don't know, like it has to be really rich people. I mean, I I don't know that I've never met the type of person that wants to spend that much money for yard art. I mean, I'll buy cheap stuff that's like fifty bucks, but I won't spend anything over like one hundred and fifty.
Speaker 2: Now you guys have some cheap stuff. Okay, we got to look at this. This is a metally prick metal prickly pair cactus that's only one hundred and sixty but still who I'm looking at the it is three hundred and twenty seven reviews. Dude, people are actually buying this shit. This is insane.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, a lot of people buy this stuff. All right, hold on, which blows me away.
Speaker 2: Our story. I'm looking at the our story part of the of the website. Yeah, and it says our pieces stand firm through rain, snow, wind and sun and structurally should last a lifetime. That's not the fucking story that tells me nothing about this, I know.
Speaker 1: I mean our our story. I can share some dirt about our story because like, our boss fucked over his brother really hard to make the company. Like there's some dirt.
Speaker 2: But I mean, okay, first of all, I'm excited about to hear about this because this sounds like an HBO documentary in the making.
Speaker 1: Oh shit, you're right.
Speaker 2: Go ahead break this story. What's the what's the dirt? If you're at liberty to say, I don't know, if I don't want.
Speaker 3: To get used?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I am no, there's no way they listen to this. So our boss his name is Eric, and let's just call his brother Jason, just for the story. So Eric and Jason were looking at starting the company, and then Eric stole the plans from Jason and then went with his stepdad to start the company, and Jason kind of got left in the dirt. So then Jason started up a rival company that makes like exclusively palm trees, and now he's trying to get into the cactus industry. So you have this family that split apart between Eric and Jason because Eric wanted to run off and not wait for his brother. So we have a little rival rival company.
Speaker 2: Oh do you have a rival company started by the this?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Oh shit? That actually? That actually is pretty there's a fucking metal ca That's so stupid that there's two of these companies. I'd give it if there was one. But how's how's the brother company doing?
Speaker 1: Uh? I don't know. I hear they pay better though, So I'm kind of looking at going over there.
Speaker 2: Yo, Yeah, that's you know what I feel. Here's the thing is, Okay, so your brother basically made a spike Not your brother, this the CEO's brother basically made a spike company.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, So here's the thing. Here's here's how the code of here's how you can benefit is because listen, I don't know how much money these people have. Apparently, if they're selling this many twenty five hundred dollars cactus, this is probably a lot.
Speaker 1: But I have a lot of money.
Speaker 2: I'm sure they have a lot of money. So here's the thing. The brother, right, if you already work for the company that his company exists solely to spite you're you're a very attractive laborer, because he would want you only so that his brother cannot have you.
Speaker 1: You're right.
Speaker 2: So that's that. You're so, you're a you're a You're in a strong bargaining position here, I really am.
Speaker 1: I can make so much more money and fuck over my current company.
Speaker 2: Do you not like this current company? He seems like you don't like him.
Speaker 1: Uh, management wise, it's kind of shitty. Uh. People wise, it's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a job at the end of the day.
Speaker 2: Okay, I can tell you don't like it, because you don't. You don't seem the way. The fact that you're talking about all of this on the podcast right now makes me think that you're like, you just have this thing of like they're probably not going to hear this, but if they do, I don't fucking care.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm kind of looking to spice up my life a little bit. So if I get fired, you know, it is what it is.
Speaker 2: Okay, great, I'm I'm happy to help you get fired.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: What where did you hear that the rival, the brother company is paying more?
Speaker 1: I heard from my uh the plant manager, because we've actually already lost one person over there, and I was just talking to a manager about it, like, oh yeah, they're paying a little bit more because he knows I'm unhappy and he's just a genuine cool guy. So like, if there's a better opportunity, you taking it.
Speaker 2: So what's the what's your what's your boss's name? The guy who wins the company or you give a fake name. Eric? Is he pissed? Okay? Whatever is he? Is? He pissed off that that that his brother took took someone?
Speaker 1: Uh? Yes, and no does. It really doesn't. Eric is rarely there, so it really doesn't get to him. But I know he found out. In the day he found out, he was absolutely pissed. So I'm just gonna say.
Speaker 4: It was that.
Speaker 2: But here's the thing is this guy Eric, I don't know him, and maybe he's maybe he'll listen to this some day, but he should. I can't imagine him living a life where he's pissed off about anything, you know what I mean? Because let me and here's why, and here's why. Here's why I say that. Here's why I say that is like, look, if you and I say it by the way I want to. I'm just I'm gonna say this from pure personal experience. Okay, if you become if you start a successful business doing something really stupid, like like like dressing up as a gecko or selling twenty five hundred dollars cactuses, at a certain point you have to go the fact that I was ever able to do this in the first place is a hilarious cosmic gift, you know what I mean. So, like, so like if your if your brother poaches your golden Cactus company, you gotta just be like we had a great run on this stupid cactus company. None of this should have ever worked.
Speaker 1: You're so right.
Speaker 2: There's no reason. There's no reason. We live in a there's no reason this guy should be able to sell twenty five hundred dollars colding cactuses. I mean, I'm just bullshiting. I'm I don't I don't mean any of this, but I mean, I kind I also do a little bit, but he should. It's just funny. It's funny. It's just funny. It's I'm gonna keep looking at this guy's website. Where the fuck, How the fuck is he doing this? How do you get started with this? Sane?
Speaker 1: I want to go to art shows.
Speaker 2: Look at Jesus fucking Christ, Look at this, dude. Look at this Desert steals metal Joshua tree. You can buy a metal Joshua tree from this website for five thousand dollars and it has twenty seven reviews. Twenty seven people bought this.
Speaker 1: What a surprise you if we're constantly selling them like we're behind on those two. We have three dedicated workers only doing the Joshua trees and we're still behind.
Speaker 2: Who the fuck are these? Look at this? Elena L. Verified buyer ur Hoa sent us a nasty message for planting it without permission. We felt very smug when we told them that it's a metal sculpture and thus not under their jurisdiction. What a life this person lives. What a life to write a review about the five thousand dollars Joshua Tree, This is so funny. This is insane. Hold on, that's not even the most that's not even the most expense. What's the seventeen thousand dollars?
Speaker 3: One?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So that one is special order. If you under serraros on our website, then you can go there's like two options, one for torch cactuses. They are once for like normal cerros. That's all the cactuses I make, and on our website we only go up to fourteen feet, but we do a bunch of customer orders for a seventeen foot cactus.
Speaker 2: All right, here we go. Yeah, we got a sagur Sagurro torch three hundred and sixty nine dollars, five hundred and ninety four reviews. Yeah, by the way, the one by the way, so they're they're all five star reviews. They're basically one hundred five star reviews. So do you feel proud about that?
Speaker 1: Uh? Yeah, yeah, I used to make them, and uh I wish I could say I give a fuck when I made them. But they're pretty cool I have to do at my house.
Speaker 2: Okay, look, oh wait, okay, all right, here we go. This is a metal cactus, seventeen feet high, eleven thousand dollars, fifty two reviews. I need to read these reviews. I need to know who these people are that are buying this cactus. This is a great website. I could spend all day on here. Someone said, someone just wrote worth the money, great quality. This is crazy. How much does like a real one cost?
Speaker 1: I got no clue, but I know that you have to like care for them along they look forever and they take forever to grow. So I just know you need to like buy an adult one, which are that's pretty expensive, or you can buy a baby one, but then you know, by the time you're eighty, you'll probably be like four feet tall.
Speaker 2: I'm truly agast at the existence of this company that you work at doing great. They're doing great. Look at this they loo and nine point I swear on my life, this is not this is not an advertisement. I swear in my life it's not I really if if you're asking me, I my I don't think you should buy these, but I I'm I am excited, not because and no offense to you, de Cooda. I'm sure that they are great quality products. I'm sure that they're great, but I mean, this is insane that this exists.
Speaker 1: Trust me, no offense taken. Like I said, I would not buy them either.
Speaker 2: Do you have any I mean you make them? Do you ever you keep any?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, I take home like the fucked up ones. So yeah, I got like a seven foot one. I got few five foot ones I got. I remember one day I took like fifteen hundred dollars worth of product home just because it was all fucked up. That was a good day.
Speaker 2: Why don't you get into the business, Dakoda. I feel like, if you're the one making the fucking thing, why don't you.
Speaker 1: Just you know, uh yeah, they did like a fuck ton of patents that's why.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, yeah, well I got that ship walk down? Are you not? But I like, I don't know. If I were in your position, I would just be like I would be like, wow, people will spend a lot of money on again, no offense. I'm sure these are very well crafted. I really, I truly, I'm sure that they are a great product. But are you not? Are you not? Are you not at this? Are you not at this job? Being like I have the skills to make stuff, and I am seeing firsthand that people will spend exorbitant amounts of money on like random stupid things. Are you not? Are you not inspired by this? Are you not? Like, let me go start a make go old and shrimp that people can buy or whatever.
Speaker 1: I am. I am very inspired by it. So, like I said with my hearst, like I made stuff. I'm a metal artist by trade. Before I got into the cactus business, I was a metal artist at like a handblown glass shop. And then yeah, now I'm in the cactus business, I guess. And in my free time now just make like metal art pieces. And uh yeah, slowly we're making movies.
Speaker 2: You're making movies.
Speaker 1: Yes, me and my best friend we just produced a horror movie for Shutter coming out this December.
Speaker 2: Oh cool?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Cool is it is it? Did you guys? Uh uh write it together?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: We wrote it and we fully self produced it.
Speaker 2: Cool. Oh that's so awesome. And how does that work? Do you do? You you pitch it the Shutter first, that you make it, and then you sold it to him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we had the script, we pitched it to him, they said, yes, go ahead and do it. Then we fully self produced it, and now we're in the stage where Shutter has it and they're going to edit at all of it, do all that junk, and we get paid.
Speaker 2: Oh sick. So wait, so when you say you sell, like, who fronted the money for it? Was it them or you?
Speaker 1: It was? It was me and my friend. It was it's a super low budget, shitty horror movie.
Speaker 2: And then and then so you guys fronted it and then Shutter paid you for it, and so you may have made a profit on it. Yeah, that's so cool man. Congratulations, thank you. What's all right? Do you want to talk about the movie? I have so many questions for your fascinating individual.
Speaker 1: Dakota, Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: So, uh, what do you want to tell? What's the movie about?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So it's a horror movie. It kind of takes advantage of like the Groundhog Day concepts, you know, like the day repeating. Uh kind of bullshit. So we have this cult. The leader of the cult is called the Catcher of Human Grime. And anyways, this cult, they get stuck in a time loop and they have to meet like this kill quota. So we have a bunch of like really creepy, weird kills in the movie. And this one person gets thrown into the colt and they realize all the shit that's going on, So then they try to break out the cult and the time where like I said, it's a really crappy horror movie, but they paid for it.
Speaker 2: That's sick. Yeah, man, interesting? Interesting, Yeah, it was in your first movie.
Speaker 1: It was, Yeah, it was. It was my first time ever doing film, and it was just something me and my friend were passionate about. We got a bunch of people together and just did it.
Speaker 2: Making movies is really really hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah it was. We did. We had seven days of filming for an hour and hour and twenty long minute movie and it was seven days of hell. But I mean it was a lot of fun, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Wow. Interesting, Mmmm is that what you want to Are you hoping to do more of that? Like? Are you gonna make another one? Or are you like that was too much?
Speaker 1: Uh, yeah, we were creating an LLC this summer called Wild Deuice Productions, and then from there, Yeah, we are working on a short film to enter in contest, and we're just gonna keep on hacking away at it until we get something or we just it's a creative outlets. It's our passion.
Speaker 2: So you're a hearse enthusiast, horror filmmaker, metal cactus maker. Yeah, are you happy, Jakota? Do you like life?
Speaker 1: I do? I love Life's yeah, like a yeah, just well about going out doing stuff? I mean, money's not I always do stuff on cheap. Money's not a reason not to just figure it out why you get there?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, hmm. Tell me about Hearst Cohn. What kind of demographic does that attract a.
Speaker 1: Bunch of very very weird people. A lot of people in the haunted house industry they drive hearses full time. Then, yeah, you have people that are just kind of interested in the dead and the morbid stuff. That's pretty much your demographic. You got a bunch of goth people that drive hearses. Yeah, And like I said, you have one hundred vendors all tailored to like hears and gothic Ale same with that. You got music, you got I think we have four live musicians throughout this Saturday all Saturday playing and then so it's a four day event Thursday that's today. We're missing it. But they instead of like you know the Olympics, they do like the torch burning, they do a body burning event and a casket to kind of start off the festivities. And then Friday they have a super long parade of just hearses and old ambulances. Saturday is the main day for the public where anyone that has a hearse can go. They get in free, and then yeah, all the vendors like I said, and then Sunday rounds it out where everyone that drives a hearse. It's like a meeting event where you can go to a local park and just kind of chat with everyone.
Speaker 2: I'm on the website. Okay, wait, First of all, with a casket burning, is there a real human being in that?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Okay? Second, well I'm okay, I'm on the Hearst Club. I'm on a hearst club dot com slash hearst com, and I'm reading about this right now. There's a they have a show, there's they have hearse girls.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like girls, I wish I could talk more about it, but this is my first year, which.
Speaker 2: Is super Oh this is your first year?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I won. I won the Hearst this February, so I'm just now. Like in this little fan club community.
Speaker 2: They have a hearse cruising event. It says, have you ever experienced the immense fun of blocking of blocking traffic in all directions with the help of dozens of other hearses, Join us as we rule all the streets in twenty two foot long cars. This is insane. Where is this? This is in Nevada, Ginver. It is intended for Colorado. Wow, oh my god, this is this is gonna be awesome.
Speaker 1: I'm really looking forward to it.
Speaker 2: I absolutely okay. Do they do this every year?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: All right, next year I might have to go to Hearst Cohn. I'm sure that there's no way fascinating individuals here. I gotta remember that. Let's see five days, it's four days of Danes, death and depravity. They probably have, They probably have awesome After dude, there's gonna be so many people fucking in the back of hearses at this event.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hopefully me too.
Speaker 2: Is that your Is that your is that your goal to get laid in a hearse?
Speaker 1: That would be pretty sick. It's on my bucket list for sure, just like trying to find the white, right, weird girl that wants to fuck in the back of a hearse.
Speaker 2: Oh you this is this seems to be the place to find people who are down to have sex in the back of a hearse. You're right, okay, Yeah, I'm suck. You got to call back in at some point, and I want to hear more about how this went. Who are the musical acts, who's performing?
Speaker 1: I got I got no clue, to be honest with you. I'm just going for the festivities and to take it all in.
Speaker 2: I don't know what this is the Decay and Shine Hearst Show. What are the Yeah, okay, they got a lot of vendors. This is crazy. Okay. As for the money aspect, this event is free for hearse drivers. I promise this is not an advertisement for Herst Con. I will Alan Alan drs Hurst Con. We have gone to great lengths to make sure every part this is like a free event. Yeah, damn. The whole thing is dan. The Hearst community is great. What I love it. I love niche weird little things.
Speaker 1: I can tell mister Yetko, what do.
Speaker 2: You like about What do you like about hearses so much? Dakota.
Speaker 1: I'm not a truck guy, but I do love storage. So a hearse is just a truck with the top on it. That's that's how I look at it. I do have a casket in the back of my hearse right now, which takes up a lot of rooms. But like when we're shooting the movie, it was an absolute joy to have because you can just fill up the hearse full of everything you need to shoot on location. And yes, space is not an issue. Gas knowledge is okay. And it's a super nice Cadillac that so I want a two thousand and four Cadillac Hurse that only has forty miles on it. The whole thing's pristine, and they're pretty cheap if you did want to buy one. It's just kind of a life hack. I guess, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I ask again. There's no person in the casket, is there? Uh?
Speaker 1: Normally there's a skeleton right now. He's at work. Wait what So normally you know, like those really crappy Halloween skeletons.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, okay, yeah, normally.
Speaker 1: I keep in the casket.
Speaker 2: But yep, aren't we all just skeletons at work?
Speaker 1: We are?
Speaker 2: I'm going to ask the chat. I'm going to ask the I'm streaming live on Twitch right now. I'm going to ask the twitch chat if they have any questions. If you guys want to put some questions of the chat and I'll read them out. So do you do you? But do you use the hearse for? Like? You don't? You never have worked for like a procession?
Speaker 1: No? No, it was being used earlier this year. It got retired in February. But I've never used it as in a procession.
Speaker 2: Someone said, I'm so stupid. I thought this guy was talking about horses the whole time. Oh okay, someone says, what do you typically haul in the hearse?
Speaker 1: Right now? It's just been a casket. But because I I whol a bunch of mel stuff. Whenever I buy pinball machines, arcade game stuff like that, throw it in the back, have the rollers so everything slides super easily, and then all the all the movie stuff are like productions.
Speaker 2: The way you said that, you know, whenever I buy pinball machines is if that's like that's like a monthly purchase for you.
Speaker 1: I wish it was one day.
Speaker 2: What's the Yeah, what's the gas mileage? Was it get to the gallon on the freeway?
Speaker 1: I can get around seventeen streets. It's around thirteen to fourteen.
Speaker 2: How did you get into how'd you get into metalworking?
Speaker 1: I really wanted to build the Hallween amatronics in the Hallween industry, and then I just went to welding school at a local community college. Did that for two years, and then I found a local glass blowing shop that picked me up. And that's how I fell into art and everything like that.
Speaker 2: Someone says, do you wear a lot of black? Yeah, I'm curious, like what's your aesthetic?
Speaker 1: Absolutely? I pretty much wear black jeans. I have a black jean jacket that's four patches and pins, normally a black band T shirt. I do have platform boots that I do wear for special occasions. Yeah, pretty much all black.
Speaker 2: Let's see here. Oh, someone wants to know what's your most prized pinball machine. I'm curious about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just got a Texas chainsaw masker pinball machine. You got a Texas.
Speaker 2: Oh, you got a Texas chainsaw masker pinball machine. Yeah, that's so cool? Does it? I like because I like pinball machines that have Okay, so some pinball machines they're like flat and they just like like the theming is all just like stickers and texture, you know, and those are kind of lanes. Yeah, But then I love I love the pinball machines that have like built like figures in them, you know what I mean, like a big fucking like Homer Simpson. Right, what is the what's the what's the breakdown of the Texas Chainsaw Masaker pinball machine?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So it has a spinning leather face inside of it. It has hooks in the back that you can like lock balls on because in the movie they put a girl on a meat hook. You have a freezer that a girl pops out of, and then you have a working meat grinder that the pinball can fall into, and then the meat grinder turns and then it falls out somewhere else.
Speaker 2: How much did you spend on this? How much did you spend on this Texas chainsaw Maskaer pinball machine?
Speaker 1: Ten grand.
Speaker 2: Interesting ten thousand dollars on a Texas chainsaw a masker pinball machine. I feel like, you know what, honestly, I'll go because I was just I was just talking a whole bunch of shit about people who spent ten thousand dollars on a metal cactus personally, because but here's the thing, right, I'm like, I think a Texas chaninsaw mask I guess I think I think a Texas chainsaw masker pinball machine is is that that's not as embarrassing of a purchase to me as a metal cactus, but to such, but there exists people out there who would be who would buy a ten thousand dollars metal cactus. That would be like, why the fuck would you buy a ten thousand dollars Texas chainsaw massacre pinball machine? And thus is the nature of life? This is the that's that's that's how we're gonna get esoteric with this? Is that you know, some some to some people. Oh fuck, where was I going with this? What was I going to say?
Speaker 1: Esoteric with life? Some people spend ten thousand dollars on a cactus, ten thousand dollars on a pinball machine, fulfilling your passions? Maybe I don't know.
Speaker 2: Bro, This one's I'm looking this up online. This one's only two grand.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's the deposit. Oh okay, yeah, I just look two grand for the deposit.
Speaker 2: Okay, all in all caps. On this website, it says this is a pre ordered deposit. Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah. My my local arcade has a south Park pinball machine, and every time I see it, I think of you because you said it once on a podcast.
Speaker 2: I do you know what I was about to say just now that I'm a fan of the south Park pin mall machine. And then I'm now realizing that it is funny to me that I've said that on this podcast before. But I'm a fan of the south Park pin machine. No, I like the ones that I've said. The south Park pem machine is good. It's got stuff in it. What's your favorite pin mall machine of all time? What's your favorite one?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Uh uh, you put me on the spot. Uh, probably of all the time. There's an Alice Cooper pinball machine. It's called Alice Cooper's Network Castle. That's probably my favorite pinball machine. Its almost has a whole bunch of stuff on it.
Speaker 2: Someone wants to know how old you are.
Speaker 1: Uh, yeah, I'm twenty.
Speaker 2: You're twenty years old. Yeah, you're twenty years old?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm twenty oh four.
Speaker 2: You're twenty years old. Yeah, dude, you're a crazy that's crazy. God, damn what that's what?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: Uh you're you're not even old enough to drink?
Speaker 1: I'm not so Yeah, I'm old enough to go to Hearst Con.
Speaker 2: You're old enough to go to Hearst Con. Dude, what the fuck? What the fuck? When did you start uh doing all this? When did you start being who you are?
Speaker 1: Uh? The pinball I started probably when I was like eight or ten. My dad threw me into it, and that's where that started. The Halloween industry stuff probably started like five six years ago. Yeah, And I can't tell you why I got into the Halloween stuff. It just happened randomly.
Speaker 2: Well, you were doing this, you were doing the Hall. You were a scare actor when you were fourteen.
Speaker 1: So I started doing like the welding and the animatronic stuff when I was fourteen, and then when I turned sixteen. That's the youngest you can be to work as a scare actor. So that's when I started.
Speaker 2: Were you playing Chucky?
Speaker 1: Oh? I was not playing Chucky, but I wish I was.
Speaker 2: Damn, bro, you're Hella's this. You're incredibly impressive for a twenty year old. It's like most twenty year olds, there's no the identity is not even remotely formed. You're like, I swear on my life, I would have thought you were like thirty four years old.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'll take that as a compliment.
Speaker 2: Are your parents like really into this shit?
Speaker 1: My dad's really into pinball. Outside of that, they're into it because I like it. You know, I'm lucky enough to have very supportive parents that helped me out emotionally whenever I can, whenever they can, for all the shit I do.
Speaker 2: Cool. Cool. Someone in the chat asked, where do you see yourself in five years? Yeah, you got a bright future? Or I guess you got to think you have a bright future, even though it is even though your future will be dark and gothic, it is nonetheless.
Speaker 1: Bright and Yes, in five years, I hope to be doing the movie stuff full time. I doubt it will take off that fast, but if not, I'll just keep on making metal art and playing pinball. I guess.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's so cool. Someone in the chat said, adults don't spend ten thousand dollars on pinball machines. And I want to fight that. And I here's what I'll say, isn't well the people spending ten thousand dollars on pinball machines are adults, you know, when you're like being twenty, you didn't go Did you go into debt to fund this pinball machine?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 1: I literally just bought nothing and saved pretty much.
Speaker 2: That's so cool. Man. Do you live on your own? Are you still you still live with your folks?
Speaker 1: I still live with my folks.
Speaker 2: Nice? Nice? Yeah, what's your dad think of? What do your parents think about your life?
Speaker 1: They think it's it's super cool. I mean they're they're really excited about the movie and everything like that. Obviously, I still go out with my old man and play pinball. He loves doing that. That's like a bonding thing we do. And yeah, my mom, she she's just incredibly excited for what I have going on. You know, Like I said, I'm so lucky to be with the parents I have.
Speaker 2: God damn, do you have any siblings?
Speaker 1: No? I'm the only child.
Speaker 2: Cool, God damn. And you're what you're in Denver?
Speaker 5: Uh No?
Speaker 1: I live in I live in Wichitak, Kansas. I'm leaving tomorrow for Denver.
Speaker 2: Cool. Are you going with anyone? A, you're just riding solo.
Speaker 1: I'm all right with my old man, yeah.
Speaker 2: Uh he and your old man's coming with you to Hearst Cohn.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: And you're driving it there in the hearse of course.
Speaker 1: Of course. No barraccarda driving.
Speaker 2: That's so cool. Yeah, I love that. What do your folks do?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: My old man he works in public health care, you know, low income, low income patience and stuff like that. Primarily does dntal work. And then my mom she's a lunch lady at a high school.
Speaker 2: Damn, damn, that's so dude, that's so cool. You got such a cool Oh man, you're you're in an incredibly impressive uh twenty year old It's incredibly impressive. This life. It's fascinating.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, Dicko. That means a lot coming from you.
Speaker 2: That's fascinating. God, Damn, I feel like I have more questions for you. I'm gonna look back at the chat. I don't even know where to begin. Someone said, someone said, oh, someone said, I love that A cool weird kid in Kansas.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Oh no, someone said, A cool weird kid in Kansas. Who doesn't want to kill himself. This is insane.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's nothing to do in Kansas, and there's a lot of weird kids. Fat Uh yeah.
Speaker 2: You you it's well. Yeah, for there being nothing to do in Kansas, you seem to be doing a lot of things. Yeah, what are your what are you? What are some of your other life goals? Dakota? What else is uh on the ringer for you?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, uh the white picket. Since wife and kids, that's always been something I wanted to do. Outside that, I do want to become like top well of the top ten pinball players in the world, hopefully by the time I'm old and decrepit. Outside that, I just want to keep on making movies.
Speaker 2: How often are you playing pimball? How many hours you're putting in here?
Speaker 1: I try to play daily if I can. If not, I'll play on average. I probably play like four or five times a week for at least an hour and a half two hours.
Speaker 2: Do you go to tournaments?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: How do you How do you do?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 1: Normally I do pretty good, uh top three at least sometimes second and first, but that's rarer.
Speaker 2: Hm hm.
Speaker 4: Hmm.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: I'm inspired by you. Dakota. You got you got a cool story.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 2: I wanted to ask you this what I I I know, we've been shooting the ship for like forty five minutes or something like that, But when you called in initially, was there like a specific thing that you wanted to talk about or just just chat?
Speaker 1: I just wanted to chat. I mean I wanted to talk about first Con. But we've gone over that. I mean we've gone over like all the points I wanted to talk about, which is insane.
Speaker 2: Uh oh. Someone says, uh, when can we watch the movie? Do you do you have any idea?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, right now we're told this. It's coming out on shutter and the name of the movie is called Chasing Tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Chasing Tomorrow. How many shoot days did you guys? Have?
Speaker 1: We shot for seven days?
Speaker 2: You shot for seven days? And you just can I ask? Can I ask? What the budget was?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: The budget was ten grand?
Speaker 2: Ten grand? Okay. I like the I like the way you spend your money, my friend.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: It. No, no, no, I'm saying I'm honestly saying that very sincerely. I really, I really am. I love that. I love you. Just saved up twenty grand. You just grind it out, twenty grand, no inheritance, no fucking you just grinded it out. And now you have a horror movie with shutter and a Texas chainsawmasker pinball machine. That's peace, really truly living the dream. Do you make like uh b if you want, before we go, you can shout yourself out. Do you make like YouTube videos? Or do you do you have anything to plug? You wanna? I don't know if if if one of these days you want to crown fun the fucking thing? Like, where can the people find you if you want them to find you?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 1: Yeah? The only place I would plug would be my Instagram. I don't make YouTube videos I've been wanting to, but yeah, we'll plug my Instagram.
Speaker 2: Go ahead if you want.
Speaker 1: Yep, it's pinball Pro lol.
Speaker 2: That's it though, No no underscores or anything. Pinball Pro lol.
Speaker 1: Yep, and it is private, but I'll add anyone. I don't care.
Speaker 2: Okay, And here's a question I got Okay, and this might be a stupid question, but how does one be good at pinball? It feels like there's so little there's there's only really two inputs that you can make.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean so yeah, it's all it's all timing and just like getting control of the ball. So with your pinball machine, you got obviously both flippers on each side, but you can choose like how late or early to shoot the ball, so you can like aim your shots. And then from there it's just like learning the rules of the game, starting modes, multi ball, all of that stuff.
Speaker 2: What's the worst pinball machine?
Speaker 1: Oh uh, that's machine I I really do not like a pinball machine called Raven. It was made in the eighties. It's like a knockoff Rambow pinball machine.
Speaker 2: M m hmm. Do you play any like like online pin bowler? Is that? Is that shit stupid to you?
Speaker 1: I do it. I do it primarily to learn the rules of like a game that I don't have access to. But most of the time it's not good for like building your scale of like reaction time or aiming, because you know, it's it's an online video game. It can't be as accurate and random as real life.
Speaker 2: Well, Dakota, ah man, this was a great This was a ten out of ten phone call. I'm extremely happy that you called in to share all of this. This is great. This is wonderful. I hope you have an awesome time at Herst Con. Please report back, Please let us know. I don't know, send me, send me like an email for the gek mail or something I don't know or don't You don't have to do anything.
Speaker 1: Every now I'll see an email. I'll send you some pictures and go.
Speaker 2: Please yeah, please please please? Okay, next time I do an email episode, send me, send me some some pictures, therapy. Getcko mail at gmail dot com. Send me. I want to hear the full report on Herst Con. We we all we they don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I gotcha, beautiful.
Speaker 2: Oh, this was great. I'm I'm, I'm, I'm this. This is a weird thing to say to to to a stranger, but I'm proud of you, Dakota. You got You're really doing it out here.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Gek.
Speaker 2: Is there anything else you want to say to the people of the computer before we go?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: I have waited to hear that for so long. Uh, go out there, play more pinball. That's all I got.
Speaker 2: Beautiful, Take care, Dakota.
Speaker 1: Yeah you too, I'll see you later.
Speaker 2: Wow, I I as I cannot believe that person was twenty years old. That's hilarious. That's utterly insane. Wow, he sold a movie building trillion dollar cactuses and he's there and I I will say, and somebody in the chat, uh mentioned this because like growing up if you were okay, because growing up right, like if you were at a kid's house and they had a pinball machine, like their parents were rich, that's like a classic like rich person thing and so and but then when he was like, no, I just fucking saved up and grind it for all that shit, I'm like, damn, that's hella impressive, an impressive person. I'm excited to hear their trip Purport. Hello, Hello, Hey, what is your name?
Speaker 4: Yo?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can hear you. What's your name?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 1: Cool?
Speaker 4: My name is Skeet.
Speaker 2: Skeet. That's cool. Uh. That's like it's like, that's like shooting skee that's from Mario and Sonic in the Olympic Games. It's actually not from Mario and Sonic in the Olympic Games. It was I think it's a act. Would you call it sk a sport or an activity? I know it's been around for I don't think. I don't think Mario and Sonic in the Olympic games came up with it. No, they definitely no.
Speaker 4: It wasn't it like shooting or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe they did. Maybe they came up with it. They're pretty smart, those two guys. They're pretty smart guys. Mario. I don't think that they would be so successful if they weren't so smart. Mario and Sonic, they have a lot of idea. I wonder what yo, what if instead of like yo, what if Mario was the CEO of Nintendo, like like that was like, it's not actually a guy. Yeah, that'd be crazy. What's your name, Skeekee sket If you don't start talking, I'm gonna go on and I'm gonna start saying a bunch of really stupid things.
Speaker 4: Okay, Yeah, So actually one thing I wanted to say is actually more like ask you is are you? Are you ever gonna have guests back on the show again?
Speaker 2: Am I ever gonna have guests back on the show again? Uh? There's no one that well, there's a couple of things. Is there's no one in particular that I'm like dying to have on.
Speaker 4: I guess Okay, can I can I make a can I make a proposition?
Speaker 1: Then? Maybe or a request?
Speaker 4: If you can can you get Zach Fox back on the show, because that episode is probably like my favorite episode that you put out, well, one of them, I don't want to say my favorite. It is definitely one of my favorite episode that you put out a while back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, Zach Zak Fox was one of my favorite guests too. I thought he was I thought he was great on that episode. I really liked it.
Speaker 4: I didn't expect him to be like, I don't know, he seems like like a wide dude, you know, yeah, because helping people and he was on acid, was.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, that work.
Speaker 4: Then I was just like yeah, I was just sitting there thinking about that. I was like, damn, Like, I'm pretty sure I've been in the same same kind of situation as that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I I I really liked that episode. I don't know if I think he's I don't know where he is in the universe but right now where he lives or what he's what he's exactly exactly up to. But maybe yeah, maybe if he comes uh around New York, I'll hit him back up. But anyway, anyway, enough about enough about Zach Fox, enough about me use skates for sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know if like the sound sick or anything. I came home early from work.
Speaker 2: Today because you were sick.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It was weird.
Speaker 4: Like I take adderall and so when I first started taking it, it would like make my stomach feel like, I don't know, kind of weird. And then I don't know, you know, what does vibance do that for you? Or like it makes you feel almost kind of like sick a little bit.
Speaker 2: Uh, I don't know. It doesn't make me like nauseous or anything like that.
Speaker 4: I know it's like one of the side effects. And it's weird because when I started taking it, I uh, I would feel that, but then over time it's it kind of like went away. I think it's like one of those those things that like the side effects that happened for like the first like week or two of trying new medication. But I took my I took my medication today and I went to work, and when I got there, like my stomach just started feeling really weird. So I ended up going home early today and I was honestly just chilling when I saw your podcast, and I was like, yo, I gotta go talk to lie because.
Speaker 2: You should you should tell all of it. By the way, I don't. I don't know. You probably already are, but you should definitely tell all this to a doctor and it uh and not just me. You should tell all that to a doctor.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I just went to the doctor and they actually like upped my prescription. So yeah, I don't know how that works.
Speaker 2: But how long? How long did they give you to live?
Speaker 4: They didn't They actually walked in dead. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 2: I want to actually go I don't have any terminal diseases, but I would like to go to the doctor and like get my blood tested and be like, hey, based on everything that you're that you know about me from looking at my blood and pee, how long do I have to live? Because I I I I don't know if one of them would be like, listen, you eat too many hot tamalies every day and so you probably you're probably would be lucky if you make it to your sixties.
Speaker 4: I like the idea of doing that, but I also hate it because I know that I want to know if there's something wrong with me, But there's like that whole other side that's like if there is something wrong, I kind of just want to live in ignorance a little bit and like enjoy my time, you know, if it's some terminal shit, I just want to like live in in blissful ignorance and enjoy my time on this earth. And then you know, when you find out it's too late, it's like, oh, well shit.
Speaker 2: You know, diagnosis is the first step to treatment though.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but like a lot not a lot of time, but like you know, like treatment is still I guess sort of fifty to fifty. It's like you could find out that you have like stage two cancer and they're like, you know, you could try to do something about it, but it's no gear and tea. So then it's like you're now living the rest of your life with that well possibly the rest of your life with that stress being like damn, am I going to live? Or am I going to die? Whereas if you don't know anything, you just one day get the news and you're like, damn, I'm gonna die. But then when you look back on your life, that ending, sorry, my throat's fucked up. That ending part of your life is going to be like relatively positive memories instead of like that that uphill battle with cancer. Don't like my grandfather passed away from cancer, and like he chose to take chemo, and I watched, I watched him deteriorate from like my grandfather that I knew to like, uh, like the shell of the person he once was before he passed away. So like I think about that. That plays on my mind, and I'm just thinking, like, man, he chose to do that, which is cool, and we're all grateful because we've got to spend more time with him. But like, at the same time, I don't know if I could put myself through that. Even though I love my family and my friends and everything, I want more time with them, you know, Like I want to still make the best decision for myself in a situation like that. So like, you know, because dude, I think about that all the time. Like I feel like I'm a bit of a hypochondriac. Is that what it is when you're like afraid of afraid of like being sick. Yeah, yeah, I feel like I'm I'm a bit of a hypochondriac because like, like I found a fucking dude, I found a birthmark or like a mole on my shoulder like a month ago, and then I ever since that day, I was going through my camera roll, just like scrolling back to the farthest date where I could maybe see like like you know, like see if it was there at this time in my life. And I like found a picture where I could see it from like three years ago. But I was still tripping out thinking like what if I have skin cancer? And like I went to my doctor and they looked at it and they're like, noah, where you're just tripping So like, I don't know, I'll be thinking about that shit too much. I need to stop thinking about that shit.
Speaker 2: That's an interesting but that's an interesting thing of Uh yeah, okay, So like if you had like a terminal illness, would you like you're like, okay, I could fight it, but the fight, uh, but the fight might deteriorate me. And I want to go out, you know, let's just go out letting it. Let me just let it kill me. But I can still.
Speaker 4: Yeah, It's like it's pretty it's for me, it's circumstantial because like if I go to a doctor and they say you have some kind of terminal illness, this is the treatment and this is the likelihood of like surviving, that all determines it. Like if they tell me it's like a fifty to fifty shot, then I'll try it. But I mean if I don't see any results within like the first maybe like six months, then I think I would just stop because I'm I you know what, when I say this, I think of chemo, because like chemo's just so aggressive and invasive that it's like I wouldn't want to put myself through that. It's just a different treatment though, and like the side effects are like pretty chill, then like yeah, whatever, but like I don't want to put myself through anything that. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So if you if you go to the doctor and they're like, Okay, you're terminally ill, and there's a we can do chemotherapy, but there's only a five percent chance that it works, you're gonna be like, ev fuck that. I'm just gonna go to McDonald's and finish myself off.
Speaker 4: So five percent, absolutely hundred percent, I'm just taking I'm taking whatever I have left, and I'm like, I'm dude, I'm doing everything that I've always wanted to do. Yeah, you know what. As a matter of fact, I'm even gonna let the intrusive thoughts win. Bro like go rob a bank or something, and and give the money to my family before I go, you know, like go out in a blaze.
Speaker 2: You Know What's funny is what in in times that I've felt very depressed, I almost I almost view birth as a terminal illness, you know what I mean. And when I've and I've been like, uh, I've almost viewed birth as a terminal illness. And when people are like, oh, you got to exercise and eat, well, I've been like, what's the point of doing that. I'm just I have a terminal illness, of of of of being a human being that dies inevitably. This is when I'm really depressed. This is when I'm like, really, there's an Onion article. There's a great Onion article that goes, uh, existentialist firefighter delays three deaths, and I was with and it's a great but I I like, I literally have had eras of my life where I felt like that, and it was and it was I was in a moment where I was like, Okay, well, I'm I'm terminally ill. I'm not even gonna fight this because uh, I'm just gonna die anyway. Let me just do all this crap.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But and now, but I'm actually I've been feeling, but then when I'm feeling, but then when I'm in the opposite and I'm like, uh, really enjoy what. I'm really enjoying life. I'm not depressed. I'm I'm like, I'm like, oh, fuck, I gotta actually like this. I want to I want to keep we gotta keep going. I gotta start drinking water and eating chicken salad. And you know why I want to Actually I want to fight this. I want to let's keep this ship going.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: My problem with that is like inconsistent because it's the same thing. You know, like you get these you get these like like spurts of motivation to like be the best version of yourself, and then I don't know for me, they kind of like fizzle out, and then I go back to like kind of just being a piece of shit for a while. And it's like a cycle, you know, like you get to a point where you're like, damn, I'm tired of this ship, and then you start doing you start doing the good ship for yourself, start really looking after yourself, and then you're just like, damn it, shit's a lot of work. You know, like I'm gonna go back to being a piece of shit because it was easier, you know, like being a bad No.
Speaker 2: No, I know, no, no, no, I know, I know, I know, I know what you mean. I know what you mean.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't want to do anybody dirt or anything.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I I told some I was talking to someone at some point where I was. I don't remember exactly what I said, but I said something like, yeah, as long as I don't as long as I don't like be an asshole and eat a bunch of Twizzlers. I said something like that, and they were like, what do you mean being How does eating twizzlers make you an asshole? And I'm like, you don't understand what I'm trying to what I'm.
Speaker 4: You just don't if you know, you know, if.
Speaker 2: You know, you know, if you know, you know, if you know.
Speaker 4: I was just about to say, do you like Twizzlers?
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course I like Twizzlers. I like to pull apart Twizzlers, the cherry ones with the rope. I like the I even like when someone had an aneurysm over at Hershey's and they made the chocolate Twizzlers. I like those even Oh my god, what's your name again? Ski Skeet, they have orange creamsicle Twizzlers where they stuff orange cream into orange twizzlers. I'll tell you how much is Let me ask you something, SKEI. This is a question I asked myself. How much better is year sixty through eighty of my life going to be than orange creamsicle Twizzlers. That's a real cost benefit analysis that I must do in my head. How much better is year sixty through eight of my life gonna be then orange creamsacle Twizzlers?
Speaker 4: Hey, if the orange creamsicle Twizzlers are there, then it's gonna be as good as the first day you had them.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be as good as the first day I had them.
Speaker 4: Have I ever had those twizzlers that have it's like they're like lemon and strawberry flavored, and they have this like it's it's almost like a cream but not a cream filling inside. It's like this. I don't know, but those and I'll be honest with you, I'm not a huge Twizzlers fan. Don't hate them, don't love them, But those Twizzlers were a staple growing up for me that I can't find anymore. And when they left, it was like a part of my childhood, like a very formative part of my childhood vanished with them, you know, Like I I'm telling you, like I was eating these Twizzlers, damn near every day in the summer of like twenty eleven all the way up to twenty fourteen, like those three summers, Twiddlers every day and those exact ones, and I can't find them anymore.
Speaker 2: We can't do we can't do this, Skip, we can't do this. We we we we can't do this.
Speaker 4: Ski.
Speaker 2: We gotta we can't do this. We gotta.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: I know, it's just we can I oh man ah fuck, it's too much. Maybe it's not too much. I don't know how people do it. I don't know how. I don't I don't know how people do. I don't know how people don't. I don't know how people regulate themselves, you know, Like you know, like like when I talk, I'm talking about like a guy, Like like there's guys out there who floss every day. How do you do? What do you do? How do you do that? There's guys out there they floss every day, They go to the doctor twice a year like they're supposed to do. They go to the dentist twice the other are supposed to do they they don't. They eat candy once a month maybe, and every every dinner is salmon and rice and broccoli, and they just do it and it's it's it's not a fight for them. How do they And they just do it? And that's life. And you know, like, how do you what is that? How do you do? Is that is that most people do? Most people to live?
Speaker 4: No, No, I don't think most people are like that. I think that dude, Like the way that the world is now, like where you can see like everybody's lives on your phone and on like multiple platforms, like you can go see the same person's posts on Facebook and Instagram and whatever whatever, and like people are only showing each other what they want other people to see, you know what I mean. And like from the outside, it looks so it looks it looks like it looks like the life, you know, like it looks like for a lot of people, what we want to have. And little do we know these people are probably on the same ship that we are, where they're like not properly taking care of themselves.
Speaker 2: Well, hold on, I'm gonna actually I'm gonna I'm gonna fight with you on this on like because I'm like, who do I felt like, uh, I'm gonna fight with this. There my these observations that I'm making of, like these people who like they did right? These are not the people I see on the internet. These are people I meet in real life mainly, Like I'll be like like if like if my sister has a friend over and I'm talking or whatever, and I'm like like, like I'm talking about these are real life people, know the people? These are the people I see on Instagram? Like like, uh what, I'm trying to think of an example here? Hold on, can you give me one second. I'm gonna go on my Instagram real quick. I'm okay, Like who do I like? Who's on my Instagram feed right now? This is who? Like, who's a popular Who's a musician that you like that you follow?
Speaker 6: I follow?
Speaker 2: Like Asap Rocky doesn't floss There's no way, not Like, that's not That's not who I'm talking about. I'm not talking about like when you see I don't think Asap Rocky flosses. I don't know. I don't know if he does. I'm gonna guess the.
Speaker 4: Picture that guy's teeth is is like his teeth are perfect. He either has veneers or something. So that's maybe a bad example because like if he has been nears and I feel like it's probably not flossing. But like, actually, I guess that's your point. Then if he does have vernieres, he doesn't have to flaws because like veneers can't get cavities or whatever. But a better example Thundercat. I love Thundercat, do definitely doesn't flows.
Speaker 2: Okay, So okay, I don't know. I don't I don't. I don't know I Thundercat or as a Rock, I don't know if they floss. But like you know, when you go to the bank and you see a guy there and you're like, this is the guy flosses. That's where that's where I see people who floss more in real life than I do on the internet.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's fair. I feel like, you know what, at the end of the day, I like to say this with like everything, like everything is circumstantial, and I think it is circumstantial, like with where you work or where you are or who you surround yourself with. If you're if you do things like that, you know what I mean, like there's no disrespect to construction workers, but like, yeah, you go to a construction worker site, none of those dudes flows. Those guys barely know how how to like clean themselves properly, you know, like don't even know how to wipe their ass properly. Type shit, No disrespect to construction workers. I think construction workers are smart people, but it's like in terms of taking care of themselves, Like I see like all these memes on Instagram where like construction workers are coming in and out of places and getting like the worst possible foods you can eat every day on a daily basis. So like when you surround yourself with other people that are like that, you inevitably start to become like that. Whereas like your example, where you're at the bank, you know, and you look at the type of people that you're surrounded with at the bank, like your colleagues, and shit, everybody's really well put together, like you kind of have to. And then once you're surrounded by that those kinds of people that are like to have their shit together, you inevitably start to get your shit together because like it's it's I don't know, you just playing the part right of like the piece that you're surrounded by. I mean, I don't know if that makes sense. And that's why I think everything like that is all circumstantial, Like I say that with everything to be honest. So I don't know. I'm like, I'm I'm weird like that. I guess I don't, you know, ski.
Speaker 2: I actually, I actually have been flossing lately at night. If at night, if I get if i'm home early, if i'm home and I'm chilling and it's around it's like nine thirty, I'm not leaving my house at night, I floss.
Speaker 6: I use.
Speaker 2: Mouthwash. This is a recent development. This is I started doing this three days ago. I started doing I started doing this. Hold on. I started doing this every other day three days ago, and the first day was an off day. So so I did this once and I f lost. Use some anti gingervitis whatever the fuck thing, and I promise you that I'm gonna get my gums to stop bleeding. I didn't realize that everyone. I didn't realize. Yeah, I play this game now when I walk down the street where I'm like, yeah, does this person floss and do their gums? Do their gums? Because they're not supposed to do that, skeet.
Speaker 4: No, well, if you if you were to lost like multiple like, if you've floss every day, then your gums just stop bleeding.
Speaker 3: Skei.
Speaker 2: Is there anything else you want to say to the people of the computer before we go.
Speaker 4: My parting words, Yeah, let's just say be a good person. Fuck that, just get money, fucking lile forever. Baby, let's go.
Speaker 2: Good luck ski, good luck. That's all I got. That's all good luck. Man, You're gonna We're gonna floss. I'm gonna floss tonight because of you. That didn't make any sense.
Speaker 4: But so it'll be like we're flossing together a little.
Speaker 2: Maybe a little bit. I'll think of you, Okay, all right, bye bye. It's like it's like like we both have our own floss. What is the it's what is that pillow someone someone havanted a pillow that lights up when okay, there's two pillows and you have one, and then like your your girlfriend has one, and like if she's if your girlfriend's like uh across the world in a different place and she puts her head on the pillow, your pillow lights up and both the pillows light up at the same time. So it's kind of like gives like the illusion that we're together. You know that she did that was floss picks. Like if I'm flossing, you're floss and it's like we're flossing together. Is that a real thing? I'm gonna look this up, pillow. I don't have like a produce. I don't have like a guy in the room with me, forcer person who looks things up. So I just got to type it myself. Light light up. Uh what do I even google? To google this? Light up? Pillow? The fucking I'm abandoning this. I'm not googling this anymore. I can do whatever I want. I can abandon I can say I'm going to google something and then not. Isn't that crazy? Isn't that crazy? You can just say you're going to google something and talk about it and then not do it. It feels great. Hello, Yes, this is Thomas Thomas. What's up, Thomas? How you doing well?
Speaker 6: I didn't expect to get on here, but here I am.
Speaker 2: I guess yep, here you are. What are you? What were you doing before you called me?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 6: Just chilling out watching the stream. That pinball guy was pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that pinball guy was crazy. Yeah, yeah, that was really crazy. I do I do you like pimball? I love pinball?
Speaker 6: Pimball is pretty cool. Like I've only played it, like at arcade and things like that, but otherwise not really.
Speaker 2: It is funny to say that I've only I've only played it at an arcade. Where else would you? I guess they have they have it in bar, like you know, I've never played it at home. I feel like most people, well, they have it at bars. I'm trying to thk of where else they would have pinball machines.
Speaker 6: Yeah that's true, but mostly it's I go to a bar.
Speaker 2: I played pool, though, Are you a shark? Are you good?
Speaker 6: I'm terrible, But you know, when I'm high, I'm really good when you're high. I don't know what happens. Yeah, when I'm high, Like, I don't know how I like. When I'm sober, my mind does not activate to me being good at pool. But when I spoke a little up, I am somehow great at pool.
Speaker 2: I've always been fascinated by people who do things better when they're stoned. They never made any sense to me, Like, who.
Speaker 6: Is like the only thing I'm good at when I'm stone.
Speaker 2: It's funny. Fine, Uh do you Is there any okay? Is so? Is there anything? What are you worse at when you're stoned? Are you worse at most other things when you're stoned? Uh?
Speaker 6: You just put me on the spot there. I really don't know. I guess like I'm very bad at overthinking when i'm stoned.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what kinds of things do you think about when you're stoned and you're overthinking?
Speaker 6: I mean, I mean a lot of the things that I I overthink about when i'm stone at the moment are over things I overthink about when I'm sober at the moment right now, which is why I call it in.
Speaker 2: Say that again. I'm also a little stones, So you are so, so things that you overthink about when you're in the moment are stones? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Are also things that I think I overthink about at the moment when I'm sober.
Speaker 2: Ah, Okay, what are you thinking about right now?
Speaker 6: Well? Last week Tuesday, I just lost my job and it was honestly my dream job, and I don't know, I don't know what to do with my life now.
Speaker 2: What was the job?
Speaker 6: Oh, it was a supply chain job, so it was perfect for me because I'm kind of an introvert and I didn't have to deal with people. And before that role, I was around a lot of people, like doing like more teamwork jobs like construction and not great with people because you don't get to pick who you work with.
Speaker 2: M hm. So was that the main reason why the job was your dream job? Because it was in supplish it because you didn't have to be around people. Was there anything else?
Speaker 6: Yeah? I was just answering emails all.
Speaker 2: Day and you like that?
Speaker 6: Oh, I loved it.
Speaker 2: I mean, I have good, fantastic news for you. What's that There are infinite other jobs out there where all you have to do is answer emails all day.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's true. I'm currently hunting for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Go, you're luckiest. That's great. Some people's dream jobs are, are you know, impossible to find things?
Speaker 6: That's true, very true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're golden on this one. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 6: So I'm it feels like I'm in a pregatory state at the moment, because like, I'm looking for work at the moment and I have nothing. At the same time, I'm not freaking out because I have enough money in the bank to just chill for a while.
Speaker 2: Why don't you like being around people?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 3: I mean.
Speaker 6: Previous roles people will you don't get to pick who you work with, like like you just apply for a job and then you get in that role and you don't get to pick your coworkers.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 6: So a lot of the time, because I worked in those positions, there were people quite frustrating to be around, and it's made me just hate people to be like, Oh, if I could just be alone, like in an office for like all my life, this is peace?
Speaker 2: Hm. Hm Can I sek how old you are? I'm twenty eight, twenty eight And have you had like jobs like that where you're alone before?
Speaker 6: No? This was like my first one and I had it for like about two years, but uh had to let me go because I said, it was a business decision.
Speaker 2: So it is what it is.
Speaker 3: Shit happens.
Speaker 2: Life goes on. M M. When did you lose your job?
Speaker 6: Uh? Last week on Tuesday?
Speaker 2: Yeah I think you said that. Yeah, sorry, Yeah, it's true. I am a little I'm a little stone. I used to have. I used to have a very set boundary where I was like, I don't record these podcasts while I'm stoned, and just so people know, just so people know ninety nine percent of the podcast. Like, if you're looking at the Spotify thing right now and you just scrolling through ninety nine percent of these, I'm dead, completely sober, unless if you count Celsius.
Speaker 6: But uh, well, I mean, like you also take vibance, right, I.
Speaker 2: Do take vibance. I've been talking a lot about I always forget that when I say things and record them and post them on the internet, that people can hear them. I always forget that. I don't know why that's lapsed, constantly lapses my mind, but yeah, every once in a while.
Speaker 6: Go ahead, how did you find the proper dose for vivance because I also have ADHD actually, and uh the first medication that my doctor put me on was live ance, and I found my it was really weird because up my dose to like thirty milligrams and it it was really really fucking weird.
Speaker 2: Oh thirty milig Oh well I well, yeah, so yeah, I can go. Well, so I got prescribed thirty milligrams of vivance and then I took it, and that night I didn't sleep and I just watched YouTube videos about death for eight hours and that was bad. And so then I was like, all right, let me try. I liked the first half of that day, though, so I switched to ten. I just took ten. Now I'm taking twenty twenty. Is feeling good. Maybe i'll what's the word ty rate t rate? It starts with the T, one of those ta words. I'll t rate up back to thirty. But anyway, anyway, what have you been doing since you uh have been unemployed? What have you been up to?
Speaker 6: I've had a chill summer. Like I've been playing moncala online with a buddy of mine that lives in the States while I'm in Canada. But got really really good at that and it's really fun. I recommend it.
Speaker 2: I've been mancala mancla.
Speaker 6: Yeah it's m A n c A l A.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, So you have do you? I was gonna ask you this, do you have Like I know, I know you you're kind of like being alone, but like, do you have like friends and family and like, you know, outside of work, like people in your life and stuff.
Speaker 6: I got family half an hour away, so I visit in like every now and then. And I'm at the age now where like my friends are also twenty eight or twenty nine, and it's really weird because people at our age now, like I feel like they're either getting engaged, have kids, or are married, and then there's me looking for a job and trying to figure life and shit out.
Speaker 2: You're not alone in those pursuits by any means. It is true. It's an interesting age. Yeah, I don't know. I don't. Yeah, it is kind of an age where like most a lot of not most, but like a lot of people are getting married and having kids and shit. But I don't know. I'm twenty seven and I still feel I still feel like a sixteen year old boy in many ways. There's a lot of ways. There's a lot of ways in which I'm significantly more matured than I was when I was a sixteen year old boy. But like when it comes to like like it's perfectly normal for a twenty seven year old to have a child, like that happens a lot. But for me, I'm like, I'm like that that that to me feels like I'm like sixteen and pregnant. You know, I was gonna ask you, what am I like goals?
Speaker 6: I don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would also like to one day have a wife and a child. That sounds nice. I would love to. I would love to one day have a wife and a child's and anytime soon, I'm too. I'm enjoying like utter freedom for now. My life goals are to do that. I actually wrote down in my notes at a little bit ago. I wrote down everything I could conceive of wanting to do for the rest of my life, and it was that I want to make travel videos.
Speaker 6: You actually, I have a funny story about that. You actually inspired my life with your travel videos. Like so actually you changed my life. Like I think it was like last year in September and October, like you talked a bit about going on walks and I saw you like going on to ventures in the world. I'm like, man, that's really cool. So what I ended up doing is h I thought, I took your ticket out of nowhere, and I flew to Amsterdam in Germany and just decided to go for a walk, like to random places and it was amazing. And honestly, that is like my one of my number one life goals is just to do that a lot more.
Speaker 2: Fuck. Yeah, that's awesome. I'm so happy that. I'm so happy to have had any minuscule amount of influence for you to do that, that's awesome. When I was twenty twenty one, that was the first solo trip I took was to Germany and Amsterdam. I fucking love where in Germany.
Speaker 6: Well I was in the northwest side, but I also went to Hamburg, which is like mostly northern Germany in a part, and well I have family over there, so I went to visit them, which was really cool. But like, like I am from Germany, Like I moved to Canada when I was five, and for twenty two years I've been in Canada. So I just recently went back last year and I just wanted to see the land for what it is when I'm an.
Speaker 2: Adult that's sick. That rocks. Yeah, do you where if? Sorry? So if if, where would you want to go on a walk? Next?
Speaker 6: I really want to go to Spain. I think that'd be really cool, like Barcelona. Yeah, I've already been to Thailand once for a month and that was really cool. Like have you ever had a ham and cheese toasty from Thailand?
Speaker 2: What a ham and cheese toasty? Is that a McDonald's thing?
Speaker 6: Like you know, no, like the seven elevens in Thailand? Right? You talked about the Seven elevens. Yeah, walk in and they have the ham and cheese and they just warm it up.
Speaker 2: Yes, I have, I have, I have, I have, I have, I have had that. I have had that. I thought you were talking about a while ago. Uh. When I was in college, I was lucky enough to study abroad in Rome and almost every day and at the Rome McDonald's they had this thing called the mc toast, which was too upside down hamburger buns. And uh it was a grilled cheese sandwich with ham made from two upside down hamburger buns. Have you ever heard of this or seen this?
Speaker 6: No, but that sounds delicious.
Speaker 2: This is amazing. I have one every day and my body is still reeling from the effects of that.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I just have a Pizza Pops for breakfast pretty much every day at this point in my life. Now.
Speaker 2: Pizza pops.
Speaker 6: Oh, it must be a Canadian thing. Let's see how I describe it.
Speaker 2: I'm looking this up.
Speaker 6: Okay, Yeah, it's a it's basically filling.
Speaker 2: With sorry go ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 6: It's like a filling inside with like cheese and like pepperoni. But uh, I know the chat is probably gonna hate me for this, but uh, they also have ones that are they have Hawaiian so with pineapple in it, and I will fight anyone to the end. Pineapple belong.
Speaker 2: What's your what's your name? What's your name?
Speaker 6: Thomas?
Speaker 2: Thomas? Well, Thomas. Uh, it's funny because you know how you said earlier that I that I changed your life by inspiring you to go on this walk. You've currently you've You've just now actually ruined my life by introducing me to these pizza pops, Because I'm gonna go on Amazon and I'm gonna order about twenty of them.
Speaker 5: Hell yeah, you know, you know, and when I went to high school that was strictly like ninety eight percent of my diet for like grade eleventh to grade twelve, that's all I had was pizza pops and Mountain Dew code red.
Speaker 2: I'm just kidding. I'm probably not gonna order these on Amazon. But do they actually Yeah? Yeah, these are just these are just like hot pockets.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, we just call them pizza pops.
Speaker 2: Interesting. Are you okay? Are you do you feel you you have these for breakfast every day?
Speaker 6: I'm totally fine, Like I've only had these every day for breakfast. I guess for the last two weeks.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm not gonna sit here and lecture you about that being bad, because I'm I've got I got way worse ship that I've eaten for breakfast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Thomas, Thomas, you there, Yes, I'm there, Thomas.
Speaker 2: I really I've enjoyed having this conversation with you. I'm very I'm very happy that you were inspired to go for a long walk. I hope that you I'm not even gonna say I hope that you find another job where you can answer emails, because I know you will. That's a you know, I think you'll be able to do that. I hope you wean off your addiction to piece of pops. I know what that's like. That's not good. Let's see. Is there anything else you want to say to the people of the computer before we go?
Speaker 6: Mmm, chill out, enjoy the summer, and uh, I love you.
Speaker 2: All, beautiful. Have a good rest of your life, Thomas. I'll see you in the universe.
Speaker 6: See you in another universe, Aisle, What.
Speaker 2: A nice Canadian man. Pizza pops they look like but oh okay, I was wondering why are they called pizza pops? Because I thought I was imagining, you know, as you guys probably were. I was a man doing a popsicle or like a lollypop. But they're just they're in panadas, and so I was like, why are they called pizza pops is and PA pizza pops like the PA and empanada. Canada is crazy, goes on the line taking your phone calls every night. Demon goes doing his eye He's teaching you a loud in the Memory of Life, but he's not really an expert.