Speaker 1: Critics just say that you either relaxed or failed to enforce sanctions on Iran, allowing all of this money to flow into Iran Like Billings.
Speaker 2: Let's go back to Donald Trump who pulled who pulled out of a deal that would have actually put but here Ron in check the estimates and billion during Donald Trump's administration, that Ron regime, that we had an American military base that was attacked, where American soldiers suffered traumatic brain injuries.
Speaker 1: And Kamala Harris with Brett Barry yesterday, and we played some of that already in the show, and we'll have more of it coming up later in a little punditry around that. Just wanted to establish Kamala Harris's voice in presidents before we got to Katie Grimes, who's been following Kamala Harris's career for quite some time. Katie Grahams, if you don't know this around the country, is the editor in chief of the California Globe, longtime investigative journalists covering the California State Capitol. Co author of the book California's War Against Donald Trump. Katie Grimes joins the Armstrong and Getty Show. Oh Katie, how are you doing today.
Speaker 3: Hi, kak doing well?
Speaker 4: Thank you?
Speaker 1: So? How long have you known, being a reporter in California of Kamala Harris.
Speaker 4: Since she was district Yeah, since she was first running for district attorney.
Speaker 3: And you followed her rise over the years.
Speaker 1: Anything stand out about the current Kamala we're seeing versus the Kamala you've known all these years, or any comment on that.
Speaker 4: Well, what's interesting is I think today she really comes off like a fish out of water. Back when she was San Francisco DA, and even when she was still California Attorney General, I think she was operating in her world, the world she was familiar with San Francisco and California, and she exuded a lot more confidence back then. Today, I think she comes off like she's not ready for prime time and when she gets caught way she did yesterday, unable to answer questions with Brett Bhaer in the Fox interview, I actually used the B word to describe her. I'll say true, right now.
Speaker 1: Who did you use the B word to when you were describing her? Your husband or in the paper?
Speaker 4: Yes, okay, yeah I didn't write it, but I would say shrew because then you shrew was a woman of violent temper, which she is notorious for having. Really and I think he really flipped on Brett Bhaer in that interview when she just started yelling at him. Yeah, I think that's that's that's Pabla.
Speaker 1: Of course, that's a Rorshock test thing where if you're predisposed to not dig her act, it looks like she's, you know, kind of a bee u where suppose if you're a fan, you know, she's just strongly pushing back against the the the maga white male of Fox. So I guess that's the way that works.
Speaker 3: But so so.
Speaker 1: I've been trying to figure out for a long time, and it sounds like you have an answer to this question.
Speaker 3: Is the real Kamala.
Speaker 1: Kamala the cop, Kamala, the prosecutor, Kamala the hard ass going after criminals, or is the real Kamala the twenty nineteen presidential candidate who was a huge failure, who is like so soft and lefty and you know, just like the very degree of being a liberal, which is a real her.
Speaker 3: Well, and you.
Speaker 4: Ask a very very good question, because I think Kamala was created at a whole cloth. We've seen this happen before with other politicians. Her go to is always total leftism. She's very clearly much a Marxist. She's not a tough cop type of lawyer or a prosecutor. If she was, she actually would have prosecuted not the guys who were caught with marijuana, but maybe the guys that sold it to them. And that's all she did. She was just looking for wins and it didn't matter if they were big wins like mailing dealers or suppliers. And that was definitely her reputation in San Francisco.
Speaker 1: So at what point, and I think you know where we're going to go with this, at what point did she start dating the most powerful man at the time in the entire state of California, Willie Brown.
Speaker 4: She started dating him before she ever got into politics. He's the one that facilitated her getting into politics and then had the ability to raise the money to make her win. And what I understand and have had this confirmed via word of mouth, is that when Allanan was still the San Francisco District Attorney and Kamala had worked for him, he was prosecuting some of Willie Brown's friends. I'll say there was some corruption going on in San Francisco. I know, you're shocked. And Willie Brown did not want that, and so he put Kamela up to it and made sure she was so fully funded she could pretty much just buy the victory and then all the corruption charges went away.
Speaker 3: Okay, so that's interesting.
Speaker 1: So Willy Brown, for people who don't know around the country, was a mayor in San Francisco. He was a speaker in the He was the most powerful man in the state government for a very long time. He was the most powerful man in the entire state of California. But so it wasn't just she was young and hot that he was interested in her. He helped her rise up through the ranks and made some problems go away for him and his friends.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I think that continued obviously as she was district attorney. And you know, over the years we've certainly seen other cases of it. It's good to have a district attorney in your back pocket.
Speaker 3: He was married at the time that he had a relationship with Kamala Harris. Correct.
Speaker 4: Yes, Willie Brown was a notorious womanizer, and I believe they were together a couple of years. And what I understand from locals there is she actually broke it off because it was pretty evident he wasn't going to leave his wife to make a permanent life with her.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess good for her for figuring that out, you know, which is obviously kind of obviously you know, like if you're watching Sex and the City or whatever.
Speaker 3: But so have you seen that video that is going around?
Speaker 1: I saw it on Twitter where God it's way way way back in the day and she's Willie Brown's girlfriend and some reporter asks her, Oh, are you his daughter? It's at some function and she says no because she's so young in that video.
Speaker 4: Oh I know it's it was. Yeah, there was definitely and obviously a you know, a large age gap. I think it was twenty nine years. But they were, you know, as I said, together for two years, and he took her on the San Francisco circuit, every fun raiser, Imaginable, the opera, the ballet, you know, every event. It was probably a great time for her. But it was after that that he appointed her to a couple of different commissions. So in addition to being a I think she was working for the city attorney at that time, making whatever a city attorney makes she was also getting paid for attending a few meetings a year, and I think it was something well over one hundred thousand just for sitting on those commissions.
Speaker 1: Wow, it was a good time for her. If you're okay with sleeping with somebody who's twice your age. Yeah, So there's no way to get inside her head to know, you know, maybe you know he's a very charismatic guy, as you know Willie Brown, good looking, well dressed, charismatic, powerful guy. I mean that could be very attractive. So maybe she actually fell for him, or you know, the fact that he was going to be a help. The glide path to riches in power is also a recent edatium.
Speaker 3: And so how much of which of the each we don't know? I suppose no.
Speaker 4: Other than I My assessment of Kamala is that she's incredibly ambitious more is never enough type, and you you pair that with perhaps this very average intelligence, and it kind of makes her dangerous.
Speaker 3: Okay, that angle of it, the average intelligence?
Speaker 1: What was the what was the belief about her when she is running around with with Willie Brown? Where it was was everybody saying, man, she's a rising star, She's going to be a big deal or or as you're suggesting, she's kind of average.
Speaker 4: I don't. I don't think people were particularly impressed with her intellect. I think it was more she uh, you know, young, pretty hanging out with Willie, were vibrant.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: It was it was her youth and and probably her ambition as well that people recognized. It was never intellect, believe me.
Speaker 1: So you're fairly solid on the idea that she's of average intelligence because I've been trying to figure that out. Also if she's just not, because I know some really smart people that if you interviewed them with lights and cameras would not do very well. I mean, it's its own kind of skill to be able to do that. But you're pretty solid and feeling like she's actually average intelligence.
Speaker 4: Yes, I absolutely believe that. You know, I don't give out IQ tests or anything. Yeah, I think I think she's shown that many many times over the years. And again, ambition always won out. And that's why, you know, as I was describing the cases he chose to prosecute in San Francisco, even as Attorney General, she was vicious as attorney general. She's the one that went after David Delaydon who exposed that Planned Parenthood was selling baby parts from aborted fetuses.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's the one who went after him, not Planned Parenthood or the people that were selling new baby parts.
Speaker 1: Wow, that should be a scandal. Although it's tough for anything to break through in our current political environment. As you know, I mean, you're either either on Team Trump or not, and it doesn't seem like anything moves the needle. Yesterday's interview with Brett Bear will not move the needle at all. A near assassination didn't really move the needle, So everybody's locked in. We're talking with Katie Grimes, editor in chief of the California Globe. A couple of things I wanted to hit on before we let you go. First of all, as a California I can't believe Adam Shift's going to be my senator at some point. That is, that is so disgusting to me that he is able to benefit from lying about all that Russia stuff and all the claims he made for years, and he's gonna freaking end up being a senator probably for the next thirty years.
Speaker 4: You know, I know that he just makes my skin crawl. He is, you know, the epitome of a vile, creepy politician, and you're right, Yeah, I am so disgusted that California could not find somebody to beat him. It either speaks volumes about California or volumes about the Republican Party in California, which perhaps is more accurate. But all we can hope at this point is that he's mostly neutered because the GOP takes back the Senate. So I'm crossing all my fingers and toes and saying a daily prayer.
Speaker 1: And one other thing I just wanted to bring up. This is kind of for my own personal knowledge. California Globe dot Com the headline California mask dictators bringing back mask mandates? Who and where are we gonna have mask mandates again?
Speaker 4: The Bay Area. There's a several counties in the Bay Area that have updated their public health department websites to include mask mandates. It is mind boggling that that they're going to this again. I pointed out in the article masks have been so debunked as having any value of stopping a virus. Yeah, they stop bacteria, they don't stop a virus. That I think it just shows you that we do have a lot of real authoritarians in public health. I think they like doing this to people, and if they thought it would gain any steam for the rest of the state, they'd be thrilled. On an interesting note, Jack, that article, when I posted it on Facebook, Facebook took it down. So I reposted it, and they took it down again. I reposted it and said this time, hey, San Francisco Chronicle originated this story. I just did more data and research on it. They took it down again.
Speaker 1: Wow, what do you think their argument would be Because it's not misinformation, it's just a thing.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's true, that's the point.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they claim it was misinformation, they claim it was spam. I mean, it's just so frustrating. This is what we deal with in California.
Speaker 3: Wow, that is troubling.
Speaker 1: That is troubling, and from the side that's claiming that, you know, we need to do away with the First Amendment. Katie Grimes, you should follow her. You should read this stuff, and even if you're not in California, it will affect you wherever you are. The editor in chief of the California Globe, Katie, thanks for your time today.
Speaker 3: Thank you Jack Yeah Wow.
Speaker 1: Facebook taking down a factual article about mask mandate.
Speaker 3: What more on the way, Stay here Armstrong and Getty