Speaker 1: You are now Angela what I call her yee im.
Speaker 2: Turn your lights on, y'all. Light it's breaden love to those who are doing greatness.
Speaker 3: Shine the light on them, Shine a light on them.
Speaker 2: It's time to shine.
Speaker 3: A light on them.
Speaker 4: What's up?
Speaker 5: It's way up at Angela Yee. I'm Angela Yee. And Jasmine from the Jasmine brand.
Speaker 4: Is here with me.
Speaker 6: Good morning, Angela.
Speaker 4: And when I say.
Speaker 5: Here, I mean here in Detroit and the d yay. So when we leave here today we actually have to go check out this building that we did. It's both of our biggest investments ever. Yes, it's in midtown Detroit. So shout out to everybody here. We've been having a time, but I do want to shout out somebody in particular, okay, and that is my girl, Jessica. Jessica is the person that's really been spearheading this whole project. I met her through one of our other partners in the building, Topeka, and Jessica is a developer. She works a lot on different things. She's from Miami, so normally she works in Miami. But when it was time for us to do this project and to peek up her arm, when I tell you, nothing would have gotten done if she wasn't on top of everything.
Speaker 4: There's so many details.
Speaker 5: We managed to get a bridge loan to work on getting this building secured and done, and then we there's a lot I've been learning and I cannot wait to share it all with you. But anyway, Jessica is the person that's been on top of everyone and everything, and now she's making sure with the general contract, is the architect that the building is happening the way that it needs to, so that by next year it's done and ready to rent thirty units.
Speaker 6: Oh just as such a boss too, by the way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I love it.
Speaker 5: I've actually been learning a lot from her, and that's what I really appreciate, working with people.
Speaker 4: Who I can learn from. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Absolutely all right, So shine a light on you, jess You've been doing an amazing job and we will see you later today.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Jessica, Thank you, jess Now.
Speaker 5: Eight hundred and two ninety two fifty one fifty is the number, Mercedes, who do you want to shine a light on?
Speaker 7: Hey, good morning, Ali was on your shot and light on myself today?
Speaker 4: Okay, talk about it.
Speaker 7: I feel like I never really gave myself a chance to save myself for everything that I've done and like just coming through heart struggles. I'm a high school teacher, special ed teacher, and every day it's like I feel fulfill going to work and just making people feel better. So I'm trying to light on myself today.
Speaker 4: You deserve it, and every now and then, we got to do that.
Speaker 5: We spend so much time taking care of everybody else around us, celebrating them.
Speaker 4: You got to celebrate too, Yes, definitely.
Speaker 7: So I just wanted to steal the love for myself.
Speaker 6: I love that.
Speaker 4: And we shining a light on YouTube. Thank you for calling, and.
Speaker 7: She will have a great day you too.
Speaker 4: Hey, Ricky, who you want to shine a light on?
Speaker 8: I want to sign a light on my kids mother. She is amazing everything. I'm a trust job, was on my schedules all the take everything.
Speaker 5: What's her name again, that's a that's a beautiful name.
Speaker 8: Beautiful name. I ran take care of everything my kids want, but nothing.
Speaker 4: That's great, And that's gotta be relea.
Speaker 8: You nieces, my niece, my.
Speaker 4: Nephew, and that's gotta be released.
Speaker 5: A relief for you being on the road, knowing that everything is being held down.
Speaker 8: It's a relief. I just got back from last week, but I called out because stuff that needs to happen, and I'm finally able to take my thund's therapy. I gave her a little break this morning. I got to all the boys or boys ready this morning somewhere you had to coach me, but he had to relax.
Speaker 4: Look all right, well, thank you for calling.
Speaker 5: Shout out to Jlaia, shout out to Delavia.
Speaker 4: All right, Well that would shine a light out him. Eight hundred ninety fifty.
Speaker 5: You guys can always call and leave a message so you can make it through to last words, trying to light on whoever you went. And when we come back, we have yet we'll be talking about JT. Spice, little UZI Bert, all these things happening. What's real, what's not? Did they really get into an argument? Was it over Ice Spice or was it for other reasons? Let's see what you believe. It's way up with Angela yee et.
Speaker 2: Nextay, yeah, she back at it, bringing the max.
Speaker 4: Way up with Angela yee is on what's up? It's way up with Angela yee I'm Angela Yee.
Speaker 5: Jasmine from the Jasmine brand is here, Yes, and we are doing Gurus of the Gram coach Kai Benji is talking about cheating.
Speaker 4: Let's see if you agree.
Speaker 9: Giving another woman attention is cheating. Making another woman feel like she has a chance is cheating. Cheating isn't always physical. If you're giving another woman your time and attention, you are cheating.
Speaker 5: Once again, Is this cheating? It's Gurus of the Gram, call us up and let us know what you think.
Speaker 4: Eight fifty fifty.
Speaker 8: I feel like anything that you ain't gonna do in front of your partner, or anything you ain't cool with your partner doing.
Speaker 5: The cheat Okay, okay, So even if it's not physical, it's just even conversations.
Speaker 10: Yeah, even if it's not physical, like it's anything texas setting them off me, I mean sending people mean tight.
Speaker 11: If you ain't cool with your partner doing all right?
Speaker 4: Well, thank you, Hey, Jessica, how are you hi?
Speaker 12: How are you?
Speaker 4: I'm good? What are your thoughts about? Gurus of the Gram?
Speaker 5: Is that cheating if it's not physical but showing attention?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 12: So you know, first off, emotional cheating is way worth so physical cheating stuff with that. But also at the same time, it's like a very broad statement that he says. If we're going to be talking about as far as building on, like if you're having an issue with your girl and then you run into the next female basically trying to get comfort, then yes, that's emotional cheating. But if you like have a friend and you know it's like a strictly platonic thing, I don't necessarily consider that as cheating. You know, it's at the end of the day. I just feel like it's all about the communication on where you stand and to make sure like your girl is not like in picture and things like that. You know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a fine line.
Speaker 5: I have to say that because sometimes people get upset over things like friendships that are platonic.
Speaker 4: It's a fine line. All right, So we have Z on the line. What's up Z. What do you think what's going on?
Speaker 3: I definitely think it might be it's like micro cheating. You're kind of like paying a little.
Speaker 13: Bit too much attention to someone that you definitely uh want.
Speaker 4: But you're not touching them. It's not physical.
Speaker 3: But let's say you're liking all their pictures on their profile.
Speaker 4: Yeah no, no, you did it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't want my partner to find out about that. So it's kind of micro cheating.
Speaker 14: I like that term of micro cheating. Yeah, I never heard that, Okay, I figure Okay, all right.
Speaker 4: Macro cheating is when you get physical brows.
Speaker 3: Okay, got it?
Speaker 14: You see?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 5: Well that was Guru of the Gram. So again, thank y'all for calling. We learned a new term today, micro cheating.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm gonna say it's a micro cheat. May all sound like minor.
Speaker 14: Also I found out that, uh, liking pictures is micro cheating. Fi, yeah, you were asking me that.
Speaker 6: Mm hm.
Speaker 5: Well they get a coach, Kai Vinci, a relationship coach for that, Guru of the Gram. Sometimes they around point sometimes we don't agree. When we come back, we have your yet, and let's talk about Kodak Black. He was booked at at a jail in Florida. But we're released and we'll tell you what the circumstances are. People are very concerned it's way up at Angela Yee.
Speaker 2: Says rooms from industry shade to all the gossip out, Angela's feeling that.
Speaker 5: What's up its way up at Angela Yee. I'm Angela Yee and Jasmine from the Jasmine brand is here.
Speaker 6: Happy Tuesday, Angela.
Speaker 5: Happy Tuesday, Jasmin, Brian and as in here we mean in Detroit and A's time for some yet.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, let's start it off with Kodak Black.
Speaker 5: He was booked at a jail in Florida, but he was released on a two hundred and fifty thousand dollars bond. Now Bradford Cohen, who is kodak lawyer, by the way, I met him when I went to Fort Lauderdale to do a sit down with Kodak. Really, yes, we had a whole conversation about everything that's been going on.
Speaker 12: Now.
Speaker 5: Kodak, you know, is uh having his He's on his pre chart release for his prescription drug case. He has to check in regularly with authorities and take mandatory urine tests, but he did not check in recently.
Speaker 4: And they actually went.
Speaker 5: To court over this issue yesterday, and Kodak went on Instagram live Sunday night complaining about that situation.
Speaker 4: Here's what he said, Nobody notify me.
Speaker 3: Where nobody, nobody yal, nobody hit me.
Speaker 13: You don't unassume emails of put no hats on alert like he needed to comptn't comp.
Speaker 4: You know, getting that that's what working on. Yes, people are very concerned by the way.
Speaker 6: I'm concerned based off of this. I'm definitely concerned.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so a lot of people posting it and their stories like please help Kodak, like make sure he gets whatever.
Speaker 4: It is that he needs.
Speaker 5: And you know, he is also arguing in court his lawyers to get rid of the pre child supervision. The judge agreed, but also ended up increasing that bond from the seventy five thousand dollars that it was to two hundred and fifty thousand dollars. So that's why he had to do a mugshot and get booked again.
Speaker 6: Oh got it?
Speaker 5: Okay, right, so you know, there you have it. And Pink, let's talk about her for a second. You know, we've been discussing people throwing things on stage a lot lately. Cell phones, Yeah, jumping on stage themselves too much.
Speaker 4: Now, this is something I haven't heard of before.
Speaker 5: During a concert, Pink was not sure how to feel about a fan throwing a bag of their mom's cremated remains on stage. Here's what happened. This was at the British Summertime Festival. In London's Hyde Park.
Speaker 3: I don't know how.
Speaker 4: I don't know how I feel about that myself.
Speaker 14: I don't like I saw like people you know, God blas us, the you know person that is in along with us. But I just feel like people are trying to have moments and just outdo each other at this point.
Speaker 5: But like your mom's ashes, Yeah, like I hope that it's not really his mom's ashes.
Speaker 6: What if it is, it's just too much. I don't like it.
Speaker 14: Yeah, that's kind of And the thing is people you just people start, fans start one up in each other. I'm gonna bring this, I'm gonna throw this on stage. I'm gonna bring my dog or you know what about you?
Speaker 5: So with the singer Ava Maximody ran up on stage and slapped her.
Speaker 6: What, I can't it's too much.
Speaker 5: Like people need to be going to jail for things like that. But you're also ruining the show because you are. It is gonna stop the show if you come up on stage and slap me. You threw a phone at bb Rex's head and shut her injuries from.
Speaker 6: That, it's getting out of control.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so y'all chill out. I don't know if these are like TikTok chains. I don't know.
Speaker 14: I feel like people are trying to like have a moment, like people are trying to do their like one up each other.
Speaker 4: Yeah, remember a few you just throw panties on stage.
Speaker 3: That was it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and maybe past we or something.
Speaker 5: All right, now, Drake has gotten the key to the city of Memphis. I saw some people were like, wait, isn't he from Canada?
Speaker 14: Is that because his mom? I mean sorry, because his dad has such a connection to Memphis.
Speaker 4: Is that the I don't know.
Speaker 5: But they said he's been honoring Memphis and he's going to be honoring Memphis on his next album for All the Dogs. He also has that poetry book that's coming out right now. Sometimes they also do that because they want you to come there.
Speaker 6: Are you speaking from experience?
Speaker 4: Angela? Yeah, sometimes you get honored because people just want you to show up.
Speaker 5: But they say that his music does honor the impactful musical history of Memphis, So that's why the connection is there. I'm not mad at it, right, Yeah, all right? We's Khalifa has to now use walking sticks. He has a pelvis injury, and so it looked pretty bad. He was trying to walk with two of the sticks. He said he has a small rip in the cartilage of his pelvis. He said he will be right back. Though the pain isn't from the actual tear. He said, so as soon as the spasm stop, I should be good. He should be good to go.
Speaker 6: Sounds painful.
Speaker 4: And the next day they said he was able to ditch those sticks.
Speaker 6: Ditch those sticks.
Speaker 4: Those sticks, okay, and wisby working out. He probably did an upper kick or something like that.
Speaker 6: He is very fit, very fit.
Speaker 4: Remember how Danny used to be. Now he's all cut up.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he always got his shirt off.
Speaker 5: And he brings everything on the road with him, like all of his equipment. Yeah, for all of that. Like he makes sure he works out while he's on the road. That's important because being on the road will get you fat. Trust me, I know. All right, Well that is your yee t. And when we come back, we have under the radar. These are the stories that are not necessarily and the headlines they are flying under the radar. It's way up with Angela yee ways like at like they Angela Jean like they Angela Jean man.
Speaker 2: She's spilling it all. This is yeat way up.
Speaker 4: What's up. It's way up with Angela Yee.
Speaker 5: I'm Angela Yee and Jasmine from the Jasmine brand is here.
Speaker 6: Yes, I'm here Angela doing what we.
Speaker 4: Do best yet yet nobody. I'd rather do it within you.
Speaker 6: Thanks.
Speaker 5: All right, now let's talk about Jim Jones. He was actually on the phone with Joe Button on the Joe Button Podcast and he was talking about his issues now with Push Your Tea and just to give you all the recapit it all started with Jim Jones saying that anything didn't think Push Your Tea was in the top fifty rappers. But then he got more personal about his style of dress. No one wants to look like him. Well, after that, pusha te did drop a song while he was at the Louis Vauton show that Pharrell did in Paris. Well, Jim Jones and came straight back at Push a t and I did a whole entire dis song with a video and everything, and he went very hard and direct. Well, now he's talking about what's going on, and here's what he had to say about it being all fun and games, but one time, I like.
Speaker 15: I'm in a place where I don't have to fumble with who I am. I don't got a fumble with my I could really just do music and have a good time. But it's all funny games and that's what I'm taking it as display of warnery.
Speaker 5: Well, people also want to know what's going to happen when pusha T comes back with a response? And do you think push your T is gonna come back with a response?
Speaker 14: I do think push your T's gonna come back with a response. And I don't know if Jim Jones is gonna respond after that, because I feel like pushing T lyrically is you know, he's can be very his words can sting, so I feel like he goes blow the belt and so he may go below the belt in the second round.
Speaker 4: So all right, well here's what Jim Jones has to say about that.
Speaker 3: If he says something foul, you have to be able to just respond on.
Speaker 8: F you say so sound. He got to be ready to play the game. It's a slight it could go.
Speaker 5: It also kind of feels like maybe it's time because when somebody beats with someone, does that mean the crews are beefing?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: It does. Okay, so what is it?
Speaker 14: Where does this leave Mano No Mano. Yeah, you know, Mano's gonna have Jim Jones back.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, Mano. He's like, I'm just trying to sit down.
Speaker 5: You know, we try to keep Mano out of trouble, but then to push your t obviously his brother no malice. Yeah, it's for relling Bob now because it's hap at his Louis Bauton show.
Speaker 4: I don't think like I'm just trying to design clothes and hotels.
Speaker 14: Pharrell's very he gives very peaceful vibes. I've never seen him be for nobody, right, I've never seen him.
Speaker 4: All right, Well here's what Jim Jones had to say about that. All right, Well, you know what time will tell the story that keeps on giving. I felt like man I was going to bring Jim Jones up.
Speaker 6: That would be lovely, would it?
Speaker 5: Okay, yes, we hear Capo. All right, And let's talk about Cardi b. She's addressing rumors.
Speaker 13: Now.
Speaker 5: Some people were trying to say that she cheated on Offset. Now, there was this post that it was allegedly and Offset stories. It said, my wife fa n word on me, gang yall En words know how I come?
Speaker 12: Now?
Speaker 4: I think he was trying to say that hypothetically, speaking if if that were to happen. He didn't. I don't think he meant that his wife did that.
Speaker 5: I also don't know that this is a real greenshot, they say a since deleted Instagram post.
Speaker 6: It looks fake to me when I saw it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so we also don't know that it's real. But I will say that is how I interpreted it when I read it. Okay, it being a hypothetical situation right now. Cardi b in response, saying a portion of Kisha Coles I should have cheated.
Speaker 4: Men hate that song? By the way, listen to this.
Speaker 6: First of all, let me say you can accuse me for the things.
Speaker 8: You know that you were guilty.
Speaker 6: Singer with me, y'all, and I see.
Speaker 4: That is easy for you're to blame everything on me. Don't men hate that song?
Speaker 6: I love that song.
Speaker 4: But men, I'm saying, no, you're not like that.
Speaker 14: They don't.
Speaker 16: I will.
Speaker 14: I will say apparently this was a real post from him, because Cardi actually responded to it.
Speaker 4: So all right, well here is what Cardi had to say on Twitter spaces. I wonder she got to be on there. You know they be paying people to be on these platforms.
Speaker 5: But here's what she's saying about as far as cheating, and you know whether or not she would even do something like that.
Speaker 4: Listen to this.
Speaker 17: Don't pay attention to that country man, y'all. Come on now, I'm Cardi being there. I was giving this to anybody, it will be out. I'm not just anybody regular Dela Schmegler because they gonna tell the world and I can nobody in the industry because they're gonna tell two So please boy, stop actly stupid.
Speaker 4: All right, So there you have it cleared up. The rumors.
Speaker 6: Yep, she said, don't pay attention to him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I feel like she's kind of having a little fun. I can be aggravating. I'm sure to be having to deal with these rumors and then deal with all the drama every day you wake up your trending, But I also gotta be aggravating when your man goes online and just be saying stuff like give me your phone, stop it. But she can do too, she does, you know, so I feel like she doesn't say stuff about him though.
Speaker 4: Look y'all both need to put the phones down, get in the pool.
Speaker 6: Yeah, be ready at the house.
Speaker 4: That nice I would never pay attention to anything. Anybody had to say, we're.
Speaker 6: Too rich to look at that.
Speaker 4: I'd be aware.
Speaker 6: All rights, peasants.
Speaker 5: Somebody make me something to eat and bring it to the pool, all right, or The game reboot has been canceled by Paramount Plus after two seasons. That decision was announced on June twenty third, And so you know, I definitely used to watch the game.
Speaker 4: I have to say, though I haven't watched it on Paramount Plus.
Speaker 14: Listen, I don't have paramount We posted the Jazmin fram posted this on the instagarget Instagram page and on the site, and everyone was in a comment saying I didn't even know it was on, So maybe.
Speaker 4: I didn't know either.
Speaker 6: Maybe that was part of the problem. Do you have Paramount Plus?
Speaker 12: No?
Speaker 6: If I have it, you have it. So I got to give you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, can I please have that?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 5: All right, it's not not Netflix. I had to get my own Netflix account same well not really. My brother had to pay extra for me to be able to use this Netflix account still, but you know, yeah, all right, Well that is your yeet. And when we come back, I want to talk about this situation that happened in Chicago, where mother and her son were waiting to get their food and the fourteen year old son ended up shooting and killing someone who attacked his mom. They had initially been charged with murder. Those charges have been dropped, but we'll get into that. We want to give you some updates, some details. It's way up with Angela.
Speaker 2: Ye going way out with Angela Yee.
Speaker 4: What's up. It's way yup with Angela Yee.
Speaker 5: I'm Angela Yee and Jasmine from the Jasmine brand is here. Yes, And this story was definitely one of the top stories that I've been seeing on the blogs. And this is a story with a video that shows Jeremy A Brown punching a woman, right, and we saw the footage of this.
Speaker 4: This was in Chicago.
Speaker 5: And then the woman's son, carl Sha Hood, is the woman her son came in.
Speaker 4: And actually shot and killed him.
Speaker 5: Now, at first, Carl Sha Hood, who's thirty five years old, and her fourteen year old son had been charged with murder. Those charges have since been dropped, right all right, to be clear, they also have done a press conference and they also are are going to be filing a lawsuit after those charges against her and her son were dripped. Here is Carlsha Hood speaking for herself.
Speaker 18: Ever in a million years what I have imagined being brutally attacked, beaten, and being arrested. I am thankful that the Cook County State's attorney dismissed the case. I am also thankful to have my son with me and by my side, and also his charges being dismissed. I thank my family for supporting me and the people all over the world. I am now in the process of healing and putting my family's life back together.
Speaker 15: Now.
Speaker 5: Carlsha Hood's attorney was also there, and she said that Carlisha was the victim in this case, all right, And as you can imagine, there's a lot of trauma. I was saying to you earlier, I can't imagine how this would affect a fourteen year old to come in see your mom being attacked and then shooting the person that's attacking your mom.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's trauma on multiple levels.
Speaker 7: Mm hm.
Speaker 5: And you know, Carlisha Hood, I mean imagine you now you're attack, your son, goes through this trauma, and then you get arrested in charge.
Speaker 6: With murder, right, it was yeah, mm hm was this was a wild story.
Speaker 5: But you know, we're getting more details about what happened. She was arguing with a man in line, and her son came in. He was watching from the doorway, and then police had witnesses said the man started arguing with his mom that was Jerry and Brown who was arguing with Carlsha and then started repeatedly punching her in the head.
Speaker 4: All of that was captured on.
Speaker 5: Cell phone video that went viral, which, by the way, nobody wants to have to see that.
Speaker 14: Yeah, that's gotta be hard to have to see over and over again. I mean, it was hard for me to watch, and I just watched it briefly one time.
Speaker 12: Now.
Speaker 5: Brown was pronounced dead at the scene from multiple gunshot wounds. Carlisha Hood and her son were later charged with first degree murder. They said, no one else in the establishment did anything. I saw, so once you saw that happening to his mom, that's when he took action, all right. In addition to the murder charge, Carlsia had faced affect any kount of contributing to the delinquency of a minor, but they dropped all of the charges. They said, based upon the facts, evidence and the law, we were unable to meet our burden. Okay, Now, imagine something like this happens to your mom. Listen, I don't care what age you are, You're gonna do whatever you can protect your mother.
Speaker 4: Protect your mother.
Speaker 5: And according to a legal analyst from ABC seven, Gilsoffer, he said, but this video, what this leak video did, was it really flipped the prosecutor's view of the case. Before seeing this, they clearly were of the view that the defendant was the aggressor. Now they are of the view that the person they had formerly seen as the victim was the aggressor. And so yes, so anyway, they got to make sure from the trauma that they're going to have from an incident like this, you know, that the fourteen year.
Speaker 4: Old gets the help that he needs, absolutely, and the mom as well.
Speaker 5: I would I would find it very difficult to even have to go anywhere and do anything.
Speaker 14: Yeah, and she also she had license to carry, not that she shot, but she was she did have a license to carry for the gun.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 5: So again, they were just defending themselves. And it's a shame that all those people were in there and no one did anything, I know, you know, but fortunately for them that case was job, but unfortunately they had to go through all of that, and this has to be that that even happened in the first place, and now person is dead and a fourteen year old has to deal with that type of trauma.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, But we just wanted to give you.
Speaker 5: An update on the case and also let you hear what Carlicia Hood had to say in that press conference firsthand and the fact that she does plan to follow a lawsuit after the Cook County State Attorney General Office dropped the charges. So again we will keep you updated on what's happening with that.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 4: We do have Eric Bellinger still joining us this morning to make things very pleasant.
Speaker 5: Yeah for us, ye, change the mood a little bit. We are in Detroit, so we got a lot going on out here today. So thank y'all for rocking with us. And when we come back, we do have Eric Bellinger. It's way up with Angela yee.
Speaker 4: It's way up with Angela yee. I'm Angela Gee. And Jasmine from the Jasmine Brand is here. Hey, Jasmine, Hey Angela.
Speaker 6: I love the Troy By the way.
Speaker 5: I know I told you, I'm like, listen, We're about to really be outside. You know, I've been love Detroy, but the Troit. I like when my friends come with me here and they're like, I'm coming back, And how many people come back here without me after they come with me for the first time.
Speaker 6: I have yet to be here without you, but I look forward to it.
Speaker 5: All right, Well, we do have Eric Bellinger coming up, and he's a singer songwriter. But I realized some of my favorite singers are also really big songwriters, like first and I was just thinking about some of them, like.
Speaker 6: The Dream he writes hits.
Speaker 4: Okay, yes, people like I guess WECo Love I would say too, Sean Garrett.
Speaker 6: You know who I love?
Speaker 5: Money Long, Missy Elliott, Missy Elliott. Yes, Babyface. You know one of the most iconic, legendary ones, Smokey Robinson.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's that's true.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so let's not forget about that.
Speaker 5: But Babyface, Victoria Monette, just so many people who are singer songwriters. If you guys want to hit us up to so we can shout out some of the best ones who we know. I'm just thinking, I realize there's a lot of people who started off you know.
Speaker 4: Who else, Pink Sweats.
Speaker 6: I didn't realize that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's really Also, you know, I was gonna say from TGT aur.
Speaker 6: Guy Tank, Yeah, Tank has a lot of hits.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So shout out.
Speaker 5: To all the singer songwriters, okay, because I feel like sometimes you are more connected to somebody when they write their own songs because they're writing about their life.
Speaker 6: Right for sure, you know.
Speaker 5: Or but collaborations are good too, Like I think Tony Braxton when she did her album and did that with Babyface, we were able to see where she was in her life and we were like relate to that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, for sure, you know who also was amazing. But I mean tail us with.
Speaker 4: Yeah, listen, we do have to give it up.
Speaker 5: He Yeah, we got starting about all her exes, yes, yes, can they be mad?
Speaker 4: But though and Carrie Hilson, Yeah, I just carry baby all right. Well listen, guys.
Speaker 5: With all that being said, Eric Bellinger has written some of your favorite songs, but he also is a great artist in his own right, and we'll be talking to him when we come back.
Speaker 4: It's way up and Angela Yee, Angela, what's up?
Speaker 5: It's way up with Angela Ye, I'm Angela Yee and Jazzmine from the Jasmine Brand is here, Maino is here, look at you doing interviews, and Eric Bellinger is here.
Speaker 4: It's easy, but thank you for joining us.
Speaker 5: I think I've only had I've had you on lip Service previously. I believe the episode you were Almos with Trouble also, right Trouble. Yeah he was there, Yeah, Trouble was there. That was a wild episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was just listening.
Speaker 4: When I see, all right, well let's get into it.
Speaker 5: Because you have had really your pretty long career, and I'm sure you've seen a lot of artists come and go. Yeah, during time that you first started, what year was like the first single or song that you had out.
Speaker 3: In a group in the group. This was the group. Man, that's like two thousand and three.
Speaker 6: See, you can't forget how did you come up with that name?
Speaker 13: The group was called a New Ak and U slip. I never I ain't never understood. We signed the epic, we signed the Max Goose and it was a vibe. It didn't it didn't work out. Batk broke up. It was tough for army groups at WOW and yeah, after that, I just got into another group and I got into another group. I was like group after group and then twenty ten, I was like, I gotta just do me drop the other groups. So you got o Ay and then another one called Avenue, But none of the songs never really surface like that, you know. It was just like working so long and trying to get a deal, and it got a deal and it got shelved, and.
Speaker 6: It was just like, were you writing when you were in those groups?
Speaker 3: I was writing. I was engineering for the groups.
Speaker 5: When you finally made that leap, yeah, okay, what made you say okay, forget all this other stuff. I'd have been in three groups when you finally said I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 13: What was the reason why writing? Like I had a passion to write songs for other artists. A lot of my friends was getting placements on like huge artists, and I was like, and I couldn't go right because of the group. It was like they didn't want me to go outside, and it was like, nah, we gotta do everything for us. And after a while I started getting.
Speaker 6: Tired, like I'm doing all this, like I feel you.
Speaker 3: We got songs on songs, but they saying didn't feel right.
Speaker 6: Who's the first big artist that you wrote for? And how did you get that look, Chris.
Speaker 13: Brown, No, Usher, Usher, Usher was first I did, let me see first, and then everything else kind of trickled down because a lot of the artists that I work with after that, my son RCA as well. So Mark Pitts was like, Okay, cool, he killed it with Usher. Let's get him with Justin Bieber. Let's move him with Chris Brown. And I was knocking him out.
Speaker 5: Right now we are talking to the legend Eric Bellinger, And how was your publishing situation at that time in writing and knowing how to turn I know that.
Speaker 3: Was a little bit of a that was terrible. You gotta go through your your little horror stories low key, you know what I mean.
Speaker 13: Like I did a deal and it was the worst deal. But I didn't have no placements, I have no songs out. They looked at it like giving me, taking a.
Speaker 3: Chance on you. So let's, you know, give you this little deal. See what you do.
Speaker 13: Nine years later, twenty nineteen, I finally completed the deal.
Speaker 3: Wow, nine years, nine years, And you gotta understand.
Speaker 13: I was getting placements after placements like a dang, but they was just like, oh, that don't count. Like there was finding stipulations like the ndr C, or it has to be on a single, not just on the It was so many things in the in the put mixtapes and then yeah, if it's a mixtape, they don't count as a real album.
Speaker 3: Like I did my part though, like he cut the song, he dropped the song, Yeah, but it was on a mixtape. I'm like.
Speaker 13: It was just so many little things like that that I was like, this is crazy because technically I had finished recouping like in a year, so I was like doing my my quota.
Speaker 3: But it was like, nah, the percentage of the mdr C.
Speaker 6: What's the MBRC.
Speaker 13: It's basically when you think about how many percentages, So it's one hundred percent of a song, right, say for example, I have four hundred percent NDRC is what they call it. I had My deal was like one hundred percent four songs. But when you break it down, one song is fifty percent producer, fifty percent artist I mean, wrote songwriter. So now that four songs turns to eight songs. So now out of that fifty percent, if there's three co writers, seventeen percent, you know what I mean. So now it just keeps getting diluted and deluted. Once you start looking at the find print on the contract.
Speaker 5: And sometimes when you work for bigger artists, they want a bigger percentage too for not writing a boss.
Speaker 3: Right, I'm like, you do write nothing, I'm trying to meet my quota.
Speaker 5: Right, But you'll be like, look, I'll right for this person. Yeah, and take a lower percentage because that's a huge Look.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 13: Because even with lower percentage, like the money that I was making from the songs, it was like a lot to the point where they got their money back from me. So it was like I always had recouped, but it was just that the percentage rule with the money. But now you know that was that's an old fashioned thing that deals don't do that no more. It ain't no more n DRC. Most deals is just straight recouped. So you've been in the game a long time and you've been I listen to your music. You you really consistent. Do you feel like you underrated though I'm an independent artist, I feel like it's a different energy. I don't think I'm underrated. I just feel like it's maybe under promoted.
Speaker 3: I don't know, like people don't.
Speaker 13: Know, like people don't know as much as you would see, like you're not gonna drive by billboard and see everybody, You're not gonna drive by a buzz bench and just not because the budgets that I'm doing.
Speaker 3: It ain't that you know.
Speaker 4: Do you want that though? Like do you want to have people drive by and see you want a billboard?
Speaker 3: Or do you like it? It'll be cool? Yeah, it'll be cool coming out, so see that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would imagine you could get that type of situation. That's why I'm asking.
Speaker 3: I never tried, I never took Why God though, if.
Speaker 5: That's what you would want, Like, what what made you say I'm gonna I'm staying in this independent where you're still going on tours, selling out shows, you can, you have major artists on your albums and you're on theirs.
Speaker 4: So what made what holds you back from even doing all that?
Speaker 3: Well? I don't know. I think I fell in love with the freedom. It's like a partnership.
Speaker 13: Impart does like a partnership to where they're like, whatever you want to do, we're gonna support it, you know. So the budgets just ain't as grand, you know what I mean. But it's still like me feeding what I need the necessities. Now I'm recouping faster. Now I'm getting monthly payments. Like artists signed to majors they're not.
Speaker 10: Getting right, and you're feeding your core core base corbette so you're able to tour. Your shows is always sold out.
Speaker 4: So some artist sign those major deals, I don't never see no money from.
Speaker 3: There right ever on their actual label. So now you think about it.
Speaker 13: I done to drop thirty seven albums, and now I got all these streams that have accumulated over the years, and I own the masters. So now I can say, hey, let's do a deal where we sell a couple of albums now chipped off with millions of dollars, and I'm buying cribs and I'm doing all these things and I'm owning it all because I own the music. Now you could think, okay, you would be more famous maybe if you, you know, had them pumping all this money into your music, into your studio sessions, and now you're huge, but you're not gonna get the famous.
Speaker 4: But Broke exactly seen you recently on TMZ.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I was like, maybe they won't post it, yeah right, he.
Speaker 4: Like, Okay, Like I know that people are going to keep on asking you.
Speaker 5: First you're you know, you're married to make a good sister, and then everything that's happening with her.
Speaker 4: I was like, I know everywhere he goes now they're going to be like, so, what do you think about?
Speaker 3: It's crazy? And I was like all right.
Speaker 13: At first, so I was like that was crazy, Like okay, I didn't think it would happen again, and then it happened again again happening I was like, oh, this is like the usher thing, the tiny ds. Not everybody hit the note bro hit the note It's what do you think of?
Speaker 19: You know?
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh man, I'm just trying. I got the single right now.
Speaker 13: Knowing about that, He's like, I'm not with him, and it's tough for me to even answer accurately because it's you don't even know you.
Speaker 4: Do be having pillow, you don't know, you know, he don't be saying nothing. You know, what's he gonna do? Straight the family.
Speaker 5: Eric Bellinger is here and by the way, we just saw him perform at BT Awards weekend.
Speaker 6: We did Yeah, he's so talent.
Speaker 5: At the Empire party. When we come back, we have some more with Eric Bellinger. It's way up at Angela Yee. Yeah, she back at it.
Speaker 4: Bring bringing the way up with Angelaye is on What's up? It's way up at Angela Yee.
Speaker 5: I'm Angela Yee and Jasmine from the Jazzmine brand and made No are here with us and we are talking to Eric Bellinger. We were having a conversation the other day about posting your significant other on social media. There was like a study that's like people who post all the time are trying to get validation. It was like something that said, those are the people who usually aren't, you know, as happy, and you know clearly you've been in a relationship for a long time. You guys are It seems like we never know, but it seems like you guys are good and stay. But when did you get to the point where you were like, Okay, now the world can know.
Speaker 13: We have been dating a while, we have been doing all that, and somebody else actually posted us first, and I was like, oh you just still. It was like a congratulations joint, you know what I mean, Like congratulations y'all are having a baby.
Speaker 4: I'm like, oh, you know they did not. That's okay, No, I invite you to the baby shower.
Speaker 3: This is all family.
Speaker 5: Because especially announcing a baby, y'all. I didn't people didn't even know you guys. You and La Maya were dating until she was pregnant.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, no, no, I don't know if they.
Speaker 13: I don't know if they it was announced, because we don't be announcing, like we don't be like like how you said when people post, that's not our thing. We're not against it. We're just not like look at us, look at us, look at us. And I think that's why it's just organic, and I think that's better.
Speaker 3: You don't have noth has a.
Speaker 6: Different reason for not posting.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 6: The same place.
Speaker 19: It's the same thing because at the end of the day, we're not seeking validation, like why he doesn't some people be on there trying to like get clout exactly, you know, like really be like get something like yo, I'm dating this person. I'm dating this person, and you sleep your way to the top, right, But ours is really like this is just my partner for real, Like if somebody catches us on camera, if we go so where, we might post.
Speaker 3: It, but it's never for y'all.
Speaker 6: How did tiny desk benefit you?
Speaker 13: Like I said, independent, you know, like like it's an underground thing. When you think Eric Bellinger, if you know, you know, you know, it's not like number one, number one, Yeah, the songs, thank you, the songs is just like undeniable music.
Speaker 3: And it's never been about anything other than the music with me.
Speaker 13: So now when you think like Eric Bellinger, the underground hero, usher calls now I'm on the main stage. Now I'm in the spotlight. Now He's like, I want to introduce you all to Eric Bellinger, incredible singer.
Speaker 3: Songwriter brother. I want him to do his thing, you know.
Speaker 13: So that literally hit like a reset button and made the people that being supporting me have something to champion, and then the people that were just finding out about me discover that discovery point is always important for an artist, you know, like where did you first find this artist? Where did you first hear them? And so for me to be right there with us, sure, it's like it's like a co sign that's they don't get no higher.
Speaker 3: It was organic.
Speaker 4: We are talking to Eric Bellinger.
Speaker 13: Now.
Speaker 5: Normally we would have asked after this, but instead we're gonna grace you with some more Eric Bellinger when we come back.
Speaker 4: It's way up at Angela yee.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she back at it bringing the Way Up.
Speaker 4: With Angela ye is on What's Up. It's way up with Angela Yee. I'm Angela Yee.
Speaker 5: And Jazmine from the Jazzmine brand is here and no man No Mano's here with us. Also because we are talking to Eric Bellinger. Everyone loves him. What's the biggest check that you've gotten for a song? Like, what song would you say has brought you the most.
Speaker 4: Money long term?
Speaker 3: Oh? Like overall overall?
Speaker 4: Would you say?
Speaker 3: This?
Speaker 5: Is like like I know, I remember and if you ain't, James M two May and Juicy was a song for him that kept you know, put his son through college, the kids through college and everything.
Speaker 13: Nah, maybe goat my song go for me, like that's like my that's my biggest song. And that song definitely like got me a classic that one song. That's the song song angel Like have you heard this?
Speaker 4: Like don't you?
Speaker 16: Of course?
Speaker 6: I didn't know that?
Speaker 13: Yeah, yeah, And I think it's tough to scale how much you made from one song like that, you know what I mean? Like when you write a gang of songs, the company being my ass cap, whoever you with, they sending you a.
Speaker 3: Check that has like all the income from all the.
Speaker 4: Many Yeah, but it's from your own song, not oh no no no that I mean.
Speaker 3: From my own song. It's easier to judge, but like other songs, it's tough.
Speaker 6: Do you ever want to keep stuff that you write?
Speaker 3: I have wanted to.
Speaker 6: Is there any song that you regret giving away?
Speaker 3: Like you wanted to keep it? Not regret, not regret. But it is songs that I reached out, like, Hey, what's up with love more? Are y'all gonna use that? It was like, yeah, we just got Nigma Na never mind that, but like I have asked for that one before. Let me see, I really liked that one.
Speaker 13: But it was like my first time actually going to a studio like Righte for Usher, and I was like, I was like, man, I want this, you know. I think after hearing him cut it, that birth something new inside of me to where it was like, all right, I want to keep doing that, you know what I mean? And if you know, I run out of bars. I don't need to be in the room. I don't deserve it.
Speaker 5: Right now we are talking to the legend Eric Bellinger. What do you do outside of because clearly you love being in the studio. But outside of all that, what does Eric Bellinger do in life?
Speaker 4: That's like, this is how I like the.
Speaker 3: Golf calimated viral. But I've been golfing. This is high school.
Speaker 4: Isn't that crazy? But so good?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 10: I just I just golf for the first time last year. Nice, spent the whole day golfing. Nice, you have one.
Speaker 5: He needs to meditate. That's why, because you can say that's good for meditation.
Speaker 3: It is why I need medicary. Wow, why do I need?
Speaker 4: You need to do it right now?
Speaker 10: But lots, I'm bullied crazy, chill out. Nobody nobody saw that.
Speaker 4: Since high school? So why And you're from Compton, right, Yeah, so you were golfing, and.
Speaker 13: So I lived in Compton, but I went to school thirty minutes away. So every day I was like commuting to Norwalk Santa Fe Springs, which is like East East in LA off the one on five freeway.
Speaker 3: And I basically was playing for the school. The school had a team.
Speaker 5: Oh wow, that's does That's what previously in an interview you said your mom wanted you to do gospel music.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so is that something that you would consider ever trying to do?
Speaker 3: I would for sure.
Speaker 13: I always follow my heart. You know, they still support me. I grew up in church, singing in church, so it's natural. You know, when you in church, we want you to use that. Boys want the love, you know, like that's that's always what it was. And then when I first started singing R and B the church for show had.
Speaker 6: Something to say to me, that's secular music.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I didn't like it. Nah, he didn't like you doing it, condemned me. They they rebuked it.
Speaker 4: Really well, thank you so much.
Speaker 5: I really do appreciate you for coming through I know, and he already committed before the show started. You and Lamia are gonna come to lip Service as a couple.
Speaker 3: Yeah, gotta be.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's unaware of this arrangement.
Speaker 3: We're gonna make it happen. We're gonna make it happen.
Speaker 4: He's gonna tell it all, he said, he said, because think about it.
Speaker 13: When you buy yourself and your significant other is a way you know you can go, but when they then you can go crazy.
Speaker 5: Well, you guys made sure y'all download that hit easy Line too, and you have another album like a solo coming.
Speaker 13: Yeah, for sure, working on my album now as we speak new music, and I'm challenging it. I'm pushing it, you know, as a person that just drops all the time. The only competition at this point is myself, for real. So I'm trying to make sure I've beaten my concepts. I'm beating my melodies, I'm beating everything because it's not about nothing else, about nobody else with me. It's it's my journey, and I'm dedicated to the journey as well as the destination.
Speaker 4: But we appreciate your consistency.
Speaker 13: Thank you man, Thank you for having me, and thanks for the love. Angela for real, thank you for the love. It's always love, you know. Being from La West Coast, long way from home, I always feel right at home.
Speaker 3: Thank y'all.
Speaker 4: I feel like you worldwide, so you good.
Speaker 3: I like that, I like worldwide.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Appreciate y'all.
Speaker 5: And when we come back, y'all get the last word. Eight hundred two, nine fifty fifty is a number we always want to hear from you. Whether it's shinea light, whether it's about gurus of the ground, whether it's to ask ye question. We'd love to hear from you. It's way up with Angela. Yee last word is next, take up.
Speaker 2: The phone tapping to get your voice heard.
Speaker 4: What the word is is the last word?
Speaker 6: On Way Up with Angela Yee?
Speaker 4: What's up?
Speaker 5: Its Way Up with Angela Yee. I'm Angela Yee and Jasmine from the Jasmine Brands here.
Speaker 6: Good morning, Angela. How you feeling?
Speaker 4: I feel okay.
Speaker 5: I'm sad that we did have some technical difficulties today, but we plowed through it.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes we made it work and fix it.
Speaker 4: And thank you to everybody who was hitting me up to let me know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we need the feedback for sure.
Speaker 4: You know what, I was just happy y'all listening exactly a.
Speaker 6: People listening to the show. I said, yeah, they are.
Speaker 5: I am grateful though, because we've been hearing that the show is doing well, and honestly, like, definitely, you know, this was a risk to take, leaving a show as big as the Breakfast Club and doing my own thing, and a lot of people are like, no, why would you do that? But I do appreciate all the love and support I've been getting as I've been out and about. Also, you know, just in La now I'm in Detroit. I guess so much love here.
Speaker 4: I love it here.
Speaker 6: Listen.
Speaker 14: Everywhere we go and Detroit people, well, every go any city we're in, people stopping, you know, and show you love. But Detroy, I appreciate the Troy has a special love for Angela.
Speaker 6: Yee, I'll tell you that.
Speaker 4: Listen. I'm just happy to be here. And then we go to New Orleans, another city that I love.
Speaker 6: New Orleans loves you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I love New Orleans. By the way, So I was gonna do this detail because'm gonna call it off. I keep calling it off.
Speaker 14: You try to do one yesterday keeping and then you went to the candy bar. I was like, why are you eating candy?
Speaker 4: And then you ken't, being like, let's have a dream.
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: The next thing I know, I'm meaning bread, I mean the spinach dip, all kind of things. So good, all right, but anyway, you know, thank you to Eric Belinger for joining us today.
Speaker 4: Appreciate him.
Speaker 14: Super talented, super talented and just a genuinely nice person, a nice human being, a nice human being.
Speaker 5: And thank you to you guys for rocking with us and being patient even throughout whatever issues we were having. Yeah, we do love and appreciate that y'all really care. Shout out to the gurus of the gram people who called in today and managed to get through while our phone lines.
Speaker 4: Were up and running.
Speaker 5: And we'll be back, and I promise you tomorrow we're not going to have no technical difficulties, all right, promise, I promise. Okay, And shout out to my girl, Sheella from Chicago. She's going to be joining me tomorrow as a special guest host. Yes, so it's definitely gonna be unfiltered. All right, it's way up at Angela. Ye, time for the last word. Eight hundred two, nine fifty fifty, let's go.
Speaker 16: I love to shine a light on myself. My name is Chanpoin Shields. I am a small business owner based out of Texas. I am a publish model, flash heart transplant recipient. I received my organ November third, twenty seventeen. I have a wonderful Donner family, and I am a single mother to a beautiful son. I am a published model, a brand director, a creative director, a brand ambassador. So yes, I just want to shine some light on myself because he's been a very very long hard road.
Speaker 20: Hello Angela. My name is Jeffrey McClain down in Virginia. I like to shine a light on a principal, Al Alexander at Western Branch High School in Chesapeake, Virginia. He's a great mentor, a father figure to many, although he's not a father, and I like to shine a light just the things that he do to inspire young black women and men.
Speaker 8: Thank you. Personally.
Speaker 11: I don't think it's cheating because there's not a ring on nothing like that, So how can it be cheating? Y'all not married, y'all guys just boyfriend and girlfriend. Until they put a ring on it, it's still free game. I'm sorry, but that's the way I see things, mister Timerlay.
Speaker 2: They say, Angela Yee's will U