Speaker 1: I Am all in. I guess you.
Speaker 2: I Am all In with Scott Patterson, an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Abigail Williams. Welcome to the one on one interview. I am Scott Patterson. This is the I Am All In podcast iHeartRadio one to eleven Productions. Abigail Williams is twenty two years old and she just watched Gilmore Girls for the first time, and she wrote an article for Vogue and tell us a little bit about who you are, where you're from. Why you wrote the article. You're experiencing seeing Gilmore Girls for the first time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks so much for having me. Like you said, my name is Abigail Williams. I work for Vogue magazine, just fresh off and internship last summer. Employed and I just thought what would be a more fun way to ring in the new season, especially fall? With watching the Gilmore Girls for the first time. It was just trending on TikTok, and I thought, I've never seen this. I'm going to pitch it to an editor and see if this is something they'd go for. And it was and I'm excited.
Speaker 1: How was it? What do you mean? It was trending on TikTok Gilmore Girls Fall watching rewatching.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's experiencing some sort of gen Z revival, just because I don't know if a lot of people in my generation have seen it, but it's like the quint essentially Fall cozy girl show. Everybody are making edits about it. I don't know if you know, Like they'll cut audios from the show and then put it against these like aesthetic all cuts the videos, and I was like, this seems cool. I don't know what this is.
Speaker 1: I've seen plenty of these, and I do conventions and people young yea seven year old girls and boys come up to me a dressed as a character, you know, they want to meet me and they want to talk about the show. And the whole thing is so everybody's discovering this. Yeah, it's It's amazing. Netflix has made it in a continuous, continuous cycle for years now. So what had you were you aware the show before you watched it? What had you heard about it? So you just simply discovered it off of TikTok. Nobody was talking about it, right, No, people.
Speaker 2: Were posting videos about on Instagram and TikTok, And that's how I discovered it and I've only seen like the famous burken bag scene where Rory doesn't know where a Bergen is, But that was all I knew about the show.
Speaker 1: Gotcha, So let me get a feel for who you love and who you don't love. And before we start getting into your article, who's your favorite character?
Speaker 2: Uh? It's controversial among I feel like my age, but I have my favorite Laura. I love her why She's just well, I saw the marvelous missus Masel first, and so when I first started watching the show, I immediately picked up on like Midge's dry, like really quick witted humor, and I talked about it in my article, like I realized it was the same creator. But Laura, l I just gave me that Midge feeling, and she showed headstrong the whole like mother Daughar issue and her I mean Luke kind of just like stayed with her for eight to nine years before they got together, and it was just so, I don't know, I like messy characters who I can kind of relate to.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: So which character annoyed you the most, annoyed me the most, I feel like.
Speaker 3: In a good way, or just my least favorite character?
Speaker 1: I would think annoyed qualifies as.
Speaker 3: That, yeah, least favorite character.
Speaker 2: I would have to say, I'm not sure, because Paris annoyed me a lot through the series, but then I ended up really loving her. But she was annoying for like all of children high school, like so annoying.
Speaker 3: I was like Rory just like.
Speaker 2: Move and it just transferred to a different class, like she's always hear you.
Speaker 1: But yeah, but she she does tend to grow on it, doesn't she She does.
Speaker 2: Which is why I'm like she was my least favorite, but she might be one of my favorites now.
Speaker 1: So what was your favorite Gilmore Girl's era or season?
Speaker 2: I would say the Jess and Rory era, just when even though it's kind of like I was the big supporter of Dean and I didn't really like how Rory just kind of left Dean to his own devices and just was like, oh, bye, I'm going to hang out with Jess now. But I will say that I feel like Jess really understood her, and I feel like they had a lot more in common, and the whole arc with like it was like a father son arc with Luke and Jess. I just really appreciate it. He was just kind of a loner but also misunderstood, and I just like the era.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think of all of them, I think Jess definitely really got her and they were very similar in a way. They both had a kind of a similar darkness and a similar chip kissing. Yeah, but they understood each other and they were I think I think he was as smart as she was, just completely troubled person. Yeah, yeah, not that saying she wasn't. I mean, she has her own issues, but not like him. So what's your favorite thing about the show? What do you like about the show so much?
Speaker 2: I just love how, like a lot of people say online, it's the quintessential fall show. But I also think it's a form of escape escapism in the sense that, like, I don't live in a small town, but I really love the vibe that Stars Hollow gives. And I think that's what makes it relatable for or just interesting for a lot of people, is that it's it's cozy. It's something that you want to turn on with, like I don't know, that's a cup of hot chocolate, Like you just get sucked into this really cute New England town. And it's not like other shows where there's a lot of drama that's happening, but it's sort of emotional in a way that you have to take a break from it.
Speaker 3: It's really uplifting and I feel like, you know, I'm having a bad.
Speaker 1: Day, it's like it. And so are you in New York or la?
Speaker 3: I'm in New York City?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, and you grew up there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I grew up going to school in New York City. But I was born in Jersey.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, you from Jersey, I'm from Jersey?
Speaker 3: What part I was born in Jersey City?
Speaker 1: No way?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was born in Philly, raised in Jersey, went to rud Curse, you know, Jersey, whole Jersey story. What do you dis like about the show anything?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: One really big thing that I feel like I've heard online all over is just Rory dropping out of Yale. Maybe absolutely no sense to me until I started reflecting on it, but just it was she's even though she's so spoken and she's like the angel of the town and everybody loves her, I feel like she still has grit to her. And you saw that when Harris was like beating on her and she kind of gave her pushback and just a lot of things up until that moment. You saw Rory kind of push back on people who didn't believe in her, and then all of a sudden, Mitcham I think his name is Huntsberger is like, you just don't have it, and she just folds, and I was.
Speaker 3: So I was so pissed.
Speaker 2: I was like, Rory, what are you doing? And I felt like Laura Lai, I was like, like, what are you doing? I feel like, you know, she has a right to her own autonomy and she can figure out what she needs to figure out. But at the same time, you know you're rooting for this girl and you want to see her win. And I was just like, Rory, what are you doing?
Speaker 1: Like but in a real sense, in real world terms, she was overprotected. She was living in this tiny little town and this is probably the first time somebody said no to her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly, which is why in my article I started reflecting on it after I'd been talked the entire show. I was like, Okay, this makes sense because she's had this amazing support system and it's not her fault that she lives like this is how she grew up, but she she didn't have that sort of outside perspective of somebody telling her you absolutely can't do this and there's no way that you're going to make it. She always had a really good support system, so it was kind of like she was in this bubble and sort of coddled. But also, I mean she had to she had to go through it in her own way, which.
Speaker 1: Is I think, what have you know? A more accurate statement coming out of Mitcham would have been you, I don't think you can handle this environment in my publications. But you know, to paint her with such a broad brush, I thought was, Yeah, that's a tough hit to take for him.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's low.
Speaker 2: It's also coming from an adult who's worked in the industry for so long, and just to cut this person.
Speaker 1: I mean he's like he's a he's a known fit. I mean, he's a powerful very you know, he's one of the most powerful guys in old media. Yeah, what a crushing blow. I always defend her on that, but I think it's the first time she's really gotten whacked, you know. And yeah, really.
Speaker 2: I thought there was a deeper subplot where he just gave her the internship just to just to like kick her down. But that never came up, so I was like, maybe I'm just maybe that's the twenty ten's drama that I'm expecting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think what I got from was that he was just trying to apologize for how she was treated at that dinner, Yeah, with his wife and his family, and they were so talk to us about Emilie and Lurlai, you know, their dynamic, and the articles said you could sympathize with both sides. Did did your side change when you watch a series?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think I think watching the series definitely made me think about things in my life. I just you know, as the daughter in the mother daughter relationship, you're always going to automatically have a bias between like not feeling like you have enough freedom or wanting to just get away from what you've known for so long in order to pursue, you know, what makes you happy. And Emily and Laura l I had this thing where Lurai felt trapped and she felt claustrophobic. But I think what changed for me was that flashback scene where they show Emily picking up the note from Laura I and seeing that her daughter has run away, and so there was there was a build up before that it was her daughter going to the hospital without calling her, and all of these things that happened where Laura I just started drinking the amount of communication that they had and then totally cut her off out of her life. I feel like that's when it hit me, and I was like, well, I can see how this feels on Emily's side, where you all, you have your daughter under your roof and all of a sudden she's gone and she doesn't talk to you, And so I I sympathize with her because you know, you never want that to happen with any relationship in your life where somebody just like completely cuts you off, especially if you love them so much. And even though they had a really turbulent relationship, you can see that Emily really loves her at the end of the day throughout the entire series, that even though she does, like, you know, bribe her to get her to come to family dinners. And is that the most healthy way to talk to your daughter. Probably not, but in her own weird ways, she was just trying to get closer to her. So I sympathized.
Speaker 1: And you know, Laurela was a tough customer at those dinners. I mean, she said, I mean, it was just insult after insult after veiled insult and insults in your face, and Emily just sort of, you know, took the shot.
Speaker 2: Just took it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And.
Speaker 2: Laurela has her flaws, and you have to acknowledge that sometimes she was like out of like out of pocket, you know, Like I think especially when Rory said that she had applied to Yale, and Laurel I just you know, just lost it at dinner. It's like, well, that was her choice for all, So you can't blame your parents for everything, you know, and she just kind of took it out on them, and it was one of those those scenes where you're just like, Laura I is just acting out and she has a lot of baggage that she needs to get through.
Speaker 1: So what are your overall thoughts on Emily's mother.
Speaker 2: I think that in her own way, she thought that she was doing the best she could, but sometimes she didn't respect her her daughter's autonomy, and she was trying to project all of these these expectations on her when she was little and try to like prep her for the primp society that they lived in Connecticut, but didn't really I don't know it doesn't seem like they ever had a conversation that was helpful between the two of them where she was like, Laura, I do you actually want this? I mean, Laura Lei's whole I think character arc was just her trying to express that she never felt her to her mother. So I feel like there was just lack of communication, but also lack of listening on both sides, and that's that's what's relatable to their relationship that I was like.
Speaker 1: M M, so, so you think Rory dropping out of Yale is out of character for her? That is that? Is that what you said in your article.
Speaker 2: I thought it was until I realized that she had a more sheltered childhood that I wasn't acknowledging. But when I went through that, when I when I first saw those few episodes, and people online kind of like they skipped those intentionally. I saw a video where somebody called it like her dark Days, where they just like don't want to they don't want to hear it, they don't want to go through it.
Speaker 3: But I felt like it was out.
Speaker 2: Of character because she was she was always trying to just climb the ladder in order to you know, she had been dreaming about Harvard her entire life, and even though she always had a plan and it didn't see it. I wasn't under the impression that anyone was going to get in the way of that. But then you look at stuff like her moving from from Harvard to Yale in like a very very short amount of time. I just think that there are points in her life where you can you can pinpoint where she kind of just like rolls over, and I wasn't acknowledging that until, you know, until it happened.
Speaker 1: You think Richard and Lemonley did her a disservice by allowing her to drop out and move in with him.
Speaker 2: I think in some way they were treating Rory the way that they wish they treated Laura Lili and I feel like, to me, that's part of the reason why Laura I took it so hard, because not only did they go against her and go behind her back and you know, let her drop out and not be on her side because they were gonna they were gonna like they were going to team up against her and get her to you know, enroll. But I just think that they had made a lot of mistakes with Laura Laive that they wish that they could counteract, and Rory was their second chance. I think, like Richard says, after maybe like a few months, that he wished he would have pushed her to enroll, But then again, there's just so many deeper family dynamics that just come to play with Rory.
Speaker 1: Do you think the fans deserved the Luke and Laura l wedding?
Speaker 3: I do, even I did.
Speaker 2: I did watch the revival too, because I got a lot of feedback on the story because I watched the series and I was like, do I watch the Revival, like is it worth it?
Speaker 3: And people were like, yeah, watch it.
Speaker 2: And I know that we did, like get a wedding, but it was like e lopement. I wanted the big I want to see her in the perfect dress, in the perfect in the perfect church, in the perfect like you know, June Day. And I felt cheated. That's I don't know how you felt about that.
Speaker 1: I felt I felt really cheated. I really did. I was shocked when I read the scripts for the yeah, the Netflix episodes, I was I.
Speaker 2: Just I just felt like they were prolonging the inevitable and they were so like I said, even though we weren't there for the eight or nine years of build up, like Luke was there for the eight and nine years of build up, like we were in like six seasons of build up like this long, like slow Burn, and you just want to see it come all the way together. And then you had build up between like Luke and Rory's like father daughter relationship, and you wanted to see like you know, that wrapped up with a nice little bow and see you know, he was there for all of her her big moments and milestones, like I want, I want to see it all come together, like that's what they deserved.
Speaker 1: And right, where's the payoff for the character and where's the payoff for the relationship, and where's the payoff for the fans? Yeah, it didn't happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I know, I know there wasn't, Like I know it kind of happened in the revival, But I still I wanted I wanted that wedding, you know, right that.
Speaker 1: Was really all about her moment, you know what I mean. I mean Luke wasn't involved in her moment, right, And arguably that's the direction it had to go in, or should have gone in. But still it was odd. It felt a little lot. Do you feel like Luke was the one for Laura?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I'm one hundred percent he Luke, I do. I you know, he was all like I said, he was always there for her during all of her like quote unquote eras like when she was with Maxi Medina.
Speaker 3: He was always like we're in the background.
Speaker 2: And I wish that Like earlier in the early seasons, when I didn't know what was going to happen, I was like, Luke, like stand up for yourself. Like I was like, after out, you know, do something, And I was just like, Okay, I understand, like we need to be like they need to give the audience like something on the back burner, like to root for. But I was like he's and he wasn't exactly. I don't think your character was one like pining for her. Like he wasn't in her face.
Speaker 1: Oh he was. He just he just was playing it cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was playing it cool.
Speaker 1: But he's that guy. He's not gonna allow himself to get humiliated.
Speaker 2: Or hurt, right, which is why I was like Laura Lai, like are like like look in front of you.
Speaker 3: Like every single morning, I just didn't. I was.
Speaker 1: Do something any think they could you think they could have milked that for another couple of seasons or was that season four the right time for the first.
Speaker 3: Kiss Season four, I was getting answered.
Speaker 2: I was like, it needs to happen, and I think it happened in the right time. But yeah, I didn't. I always I like never bought the Max Medina her getting married to MAXI media like well, like I got knew, like Okay, he's gonna leave, Like you can't have Luke here and like not realize and you know, all her like suky and out like all of her for like the entire town, which is like when you have the entire like small town backing this, you know, this entire this couple that they think is you know, a match made in heaven together, you know, the audience is like, yeah, like when is it going to happen?
Speaker 1: So talk to me about larelized style. What do you love about it?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: I just think it's the two thousand, like early two thousands of revival, Like I don't know, in twenty fourteen, it was the eighties, and then earlier like later it was the nineties, and now we're kind of in the like early ots period and it's just I mean, I say my article like I want her entire closet, like everything that's cute now is what was what she was wearing in the series, which is maybe why a lot of people want to watch it as well.
Speaker 1: That is interesting her.
Speaker 2: Her baby teased her like low waisted flareer jeans, and you know she's she's young for who people consider are a mom, So you can kind of see yourself in in what in her closet right now, and also kind of Rory's I did not mention though that Rory's like opening scene where she has that cablenit sweater is something that people are like coveting right now. So it's just a lot of Gilmore's closet content. That's just I mean, Luke had the flannel and that was pretty big in like twenty fifteen, So I will give you that you were your closet was the first thing that was like trending.
Speaker 1: So so Laurla Gilmore fashion icon. Yeah, one hundred interesting, very interesting. Well, it has been a pleasure talking to you, Abigail. I would recommend everybody going to Vogue dot com and reading this article. It's entitled I'm twenty two and I just watched Gilmour Girls for the first time. Here were my thoughts Vogue dot com, Abigail Williams, thank you so much, good luck on an ever successful career, building your career, and we're looking forward to more content from you. Thank you so much for your time.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, don't forget. Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.