Speaker 1: Hey, there are folks. It is September tenth, twenty twenty five. We are recording once again because Charlie Kirk has died. Welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ that we are recording Robes just not long after the previous one when we got word that the conservative activists, Trump's supporter and Maga Darling have been shot on a campus at a university in Utah. But it wasn't too terribly long afterwards and rogues everyone said, who was there? It didn't look good. Sure enough, he has passed.
Speaker 2: It's incredibly sad, just thirty one years old. Charlie Kirk. He's a husband, he's a father of two children, and he was murdered. And in the last episode we didn't yet know that he had passed. We knew it was serious, but we also had verified reports from the university that is suspect was in custody. Well, a lot has changed since our last episode because now police have told us and the university has confirmed that assassin, the person who murdered thirty one year old Charlie Kirk, is at large and police are now going building to building trying to find the gunman.
Speaker 1: So this now Folks is an ongoing certainly still developing, but now a potentially dangerous situation for the kids on the campus of Utah Valley University out there just outside Provo in Utah. This is a large campus. It's the largest public university in the state, but forty six thousand students. That is a significant community in Robes. Earlier, it was almost immediately after the shooting that there was video floating around that a suspect was in custody. There was video, in fact of a man being arrested, but there was some sense, at least for this campus, some sense of relief that the person wasn't on the run. This now we are talking about an assassin is on the loose as we.
Speaker 2: Speak, correct, and students have now been told that they need to shelter in place. But anyone who's still on campus right now, police are offering escorts to get them to where they need to be and to stay put. They're putting public transportation available out They want the kids as far away from this crime scene, but certainly this ongoing scene because they don't know where this gunman has fled to. This person is completely and totally at large. We haven't even gotten a description, because yeah, we were even noting how bizarre the man who they arrested looked. He didn't look the part. Not that there is a look, but certainly you wouldn't expect an older gentleman to be arrested for a crime like this in a sea of college students. So now we don't even have an idea of who the person is they're looking for, but we understand that several obviously, the FBI, SWAT teams, state police. I believe there are at least four separate agencies on the scene and I'm sure more coming that way trying to figure out and find and apprehend the person responsible for this heinous crime.
Speaker 1: But they were able to tell us very early on. At least the university was in a statement that whoever the gunman was fired from a building they believe some two hundred yards away. That suggests practice, precision, know how, certainly premeditation some staking out was involved. So a lot of questions about that, but that part will continue. I don't think robes no anyone has put anything out law enforcement that thinks that anyone else necessarily is a target or this person is a threat to someone else, because in a crowd of hundreds or maybe even thousands out there today. There was one shot that was heard, that was fired and one person was hit, and now that one person is dead.
Speaker 2: But now that person who committed that crime could be desperate. So it's just unclear what is going to happen next. But the focus right now is on thirty one year old Charlie Kirk, who has unexpectedly died on stage, literally under a tent, debating students taking his tour on the road, and ironically was talking about gun violence. The moment that one shot rang out.
Speaker 1: It was an odd point. Even when you do see it, you will see it. Don't encourage you to look at it, but it's there for all to see. And we heard the witness statements robes early on. Immediately some of the first witnesses we heard from, we're sall saying the same thing. That was just immediately, so much blood and they talked about him getting shot in the neck, but several of them just described how much blood there was. Look, there's a lot of kids that are out there college campus, you know, there were a lot of cameras up and sure enough, someone caught a fairly close shot of the moment and rooms watching it, and Sabine was just standing here with us, and she was asking, and I said, no, I mean she's got the internet. She can look it up herself. And said, nah, I don't want you to see this. It's devastating, is what happened. When you hear that pop as soon as his body reacts. He's wearing a white T shirt. There is just a river it seems of blood staining that shirt.
Speaker 2: And those are images that none of us will be able to get out of our heads. And I would argue none of us should get out of our heads because this is where we're at, that things have gotten to this level, where this is how we react. This is how we debate, This is how we show how we feel with hatred and violence. It's so alarming, it's so disturbing, and it's sad that it takes a moment like this for there to be a bipartisan reaction of similar vested interests. No one at least. We're hearing from Democrats and Republicans alike, everyone now saying enough, this can't keep happening. This is not okay. This is not how we solve our differences. This is not how we show each other how we feel about one another, and I hate that it takes something like this where we actually start to see and you know, I actually feel like a broken record, and I actually feel silly even saying this out loud. But you always keep thinking, Okay, this time, this time, when people see what happened, when we see what's at stake, when we see what our words turn into, will stop, We'll do better, will be better? Still waiting.
Speaker 1: And what the problem robes another problem with what you said, or your sentiment or what your hopes are is that we are having a different conversation, the conversation taking place in the arena that you and I don't spend as much time, and that's social media. We have a different measured type of conversation. We are friends and family that we disagree with over politics, we still talk and it's we don't get engaged and can't understand that today as we sit here, hours from this shooting happened and now this young man is dead, there are people out there openly celebrating the fact that he's dead.
Speaker 2: It's sickening.
Speaker 1: They are like their names are attached to some of the comments they are leaving about this young man.
Speaker 2: On TikTok on social media, and I've even had some people share with me text messages among people of a certain age who did not like Charlie Kirk, who did not like his politics, who have just seemingly reacted with callousness, with a disregard for human life. And again it's this point in which it's sad to me that young people, people who are supposed to be activists, people who are supposed to be fighting for the rights of all people and.
Speaker 1: Better than us, by the way, better than we've done. This is their turn now.
Speaker 2: Have dehumanized someone that they disagree with, have dehumanized someone who they don't like, And isn't that exactly what they accuse the other side of doing. That's the problem. So anyone who's taking any joy or pleasure or even a little celebration of the irony that he was killed by a gun and his stance on gun control, if anyone is taking any pleasure from that, ask yourself how you're any better than anyone else. That's what I feel so sick and by not just the fact that this has happened today, but the reaction we're seeing online and on social media. Young people especially celebrating his death.
Speaker 1: And look, folks, I if you aren't familiar with his name when you hear it, go ask anyone between the ages of twelve and twenty six.
Speaker 2: Yes, I don't know, maybe twelve and thirty.
Speaker 1: You know, Yes, he's all over. They know exactly who he is, to the point that yes, in fact, I had a twelve year old call and say, hey, did you hear what happened with Charlie Kirk my daughter? I'm like, how the hell do you know about this? We had just been on top of it. Yep, and that's why your daughters as well.
Speaker 2: Both of them texted me almost immediately.
Speaker 1: And both of them got their news from TikTok yah. So they are seeing this guy for the past couple of years in robes. I can applaud this is a guy. He was thirty one years old. He's been sharing a stage with the President of the United States. He's been running in very high circles at his very young age because he was passionate about something early on, he built it, he stuck with it. Look, you can think whatever you want to think about his ideas about his politics, but there's something still you look at the guy what he was able to do, and it's impressive and there is some passion or talent in there somewhere, and it's just a damn shame that someone who was able to achieve what he was able to achieve, even if you hate his politics, has taken out like this.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, I mean he he his voice resonated with a segment of the population that politicians are rarely able to resonate with, the young audience. He had millions of listeners, He had a daily time talk show, social media channels. He knew how to reach kids of a certain age, and then for him to pursue his passion and actually talk conservative ideals with young folks. He actually was very clever in creating this setup where he would debate liberal students and prove me wrong. And so now you're engaging, you're engaging these kids, especially the ones that disagree with you, and now you're creating a really entertaining and lively discussion, debate, conversation. But to think that that fueled someone who hated him so much, it's sad that we talk about how words are weapons and words matter, and the way you speak and who you speak to and how you choose your words matter. It can be life or death. You can anger someone so much. I'm sure he did nothing personally to this person, but something he said or the things he believed in created so much anger and hatred. It's just appalling.
Speaker 1: Again, as of this recording, we do not know who this shooter is. We do not know what the motives might be. But there is really no other way to think about this other than this conservative superstar, young man Charlie Kirk is dead and has been targeted at an event on a Utah university today. We call him Robes, a conservative superstar, a Trump ally, a friend to the way, call um all these things, husband and father to two very young kids. That's how you humanize the story, right, He's to call him an activist and he's a supporter, and he's an ally, And that's a dude who is a dad to two little little bitty babies.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And we've been watching all the news coverage and they're putting up the family photos and you're seeing him not behind a podium, or not with a microphone in his hand, or you know, behind political signs. No, he's just there with his family on a beach, hugging them, laughing, smiling. You're seeing that side of him that I think so many people look at politicians through a different lens, as if they're nothing but a talking head that's saying things they don't like.
Speaker 1: And folks, we are going to We mentioned it a moment ago, some of the things we are seeing out there, some of the comments we're seeing out there. We want to just give you an idea. You might not go hunt them down yourself, and I don't encourage you to go track them down yourselves, but we're going to share with you some of the reaction out there from people who may have had a difference of opinion politically with Charlie Kirk, just here on the day he has been shot and killed, the type of comments that they are publicly writing about him. We continue now here, folks, on a still developing, disturbing story out of Utah, where Charlie Kirk, a conservative superstar, a friend and ally to Donald Trump, has been shot and killed on the campus of the Utah Valley University while holding an event there in which he was speaking to students and rogues. I mentioned that even if some people here aren't familiar with his name, a lot of young people are because he is very much active. They know him on social media TikTok in particular, where kids are exchanging ideas politically and they're doing it with a guy who kind of looks like them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's fair to say that Sabine Ava and Analyse knew of and knew about Charlie Kirk far more than I did. And they are I mean, I am getting NonStop texts from my oldest who is sending me all of the things she's seeing either through her friends or online. Some of them are more tempered, but none of them are sympath or empathetic. In fact, a lot of them are snarky and mean and and it's frightening to think that he engaged this younger audience. And certainly he had a huge following of conservative young folks who actually helped to get Trump elected, But he also created another group of young folks who absolutely couldn't stand what he was saying and felt angered towards him and wanted to debate him. And hopefully it was a healthy debate in the forms the public forms that they took place. But certainly, when you go onto a place like social media TikTok, you're going to get some some pretty angry comments.
Speaker 1: But he's dead, not today. I mean, you could say all kinds of stuff you lead with on this day. This stuff is it's shocking how much of it is out there that people are willing. Maybe they don't think anything's wrong with it, is that where we are now that this is okay? You too.
Speaker 2: They think that if if you are going to make comments about gun control and then you get shot by a gun, they're kind of like saying karma that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Okay, And folks, these are going to be direct quotes to comments people were making on social media to word that Charlie Kirk had been shot, and that Charlie Kirk has been killed. You have some as well, to have a list. Yeah, he wants to start, you can go ahead, Okay, I'll start with this. Someone wrote, is the bullet? Okay? Another wrote this was before we knew he had died? Oh no, what if he survives? Another writing after he had robes is after he had passed away? They wrote simply, finally, that is so chilling.
Speaker 2: How about gone too late? God is good?
Speaker 1: And there were several out there who would write something like this. Okay, moving on, I'm saying, like, all right, onto my laund right now, that kind of thing, just to just death, even celebrating the death of someone over political.
Speaker 2: Views, and then to have a callous attitude about that, this one, this one, how about this? Rest in peace? But if you claim you're willing to die on that hill, don't be shocked when you do. It's almost just a righteousness about that. It's get you read what you sew without any any acknowledgment of this tremendous loss. That there was a murder, a callous murder that took place in front of a thousand college students for what to prove what?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I'm looking. I was thinking of something as you got. I'm saying, if you whatever, probably probably somebody out there who thinks silencing him or not having his voice or influence is good for their political leanings. But what if you can't beat them? Is this what we If you can't beat them, you shoot them? Is that what we're is that the lane were going that you couldn't shout him down enough, you couldn't combat him with your own movement, So we had to do this and and all this we got word actually and I don't know if this is surprising. It was a little unorthodox, I guess, but we got word about his death not from law enforcement, not from hospital, not from a news source Robes. It was bizarre. Everybody was reporting the same source was giving the news.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was from Donald Trump. In fact, all the lower thirds the graphics that you see all had Trump attributed to this, that in fact Charlie Kirk had died. But Donald Trump put this out on truth Social and this is how we all found out about his passing. The great and even legendary Charlie Kirk is dead. No one understood or had the heart of the youth in the United States of America better than Charlie. He was loved and admired by all, especially me, And now he is no longer with us. Milania and my sympathies go out to his beautiful wife Erica and family. Charlie. We love you.
Speaker 1: Again, folks. This is still a developing story because there is a huge campus and a huge campus community in fear in Utah right now. There is as of this recording, a just a gunman Robes an assassin still on the loops out there.
Speaker 2: Wow, and a lot of folks are reacting. In fact, we just heard word from former president of Barack Obama who said, we don't know yet what motivated the person who shot and killed Charlie Kirk, but this kind of despicable violence has no place in our democracy. Michelle and I will be praying for Charlie's family tonight, especially his wife, Erica and their two young children. So yes, so many folks mourning the loss of Charlie Kirk, condemning the violence. But this gunman is still on the loose, and so we will continue to monitor this developing story and bring you any warranted updates on this. But certainly, well, we just hope, as we kind of ended this last episode on the shooting itself, but please, we just hope this can be a reminder to everybody to lower the temperature and open your hearts, open your minds, and let's not be so judgmental, and let's not react so viciously to people who don't believe what we do. It's just an awful day, but a clear reminder of what we need to do to improve this country we're living in. And with that, thank you for listening to us. I made me Roebuck alongside t J Holmes, we'll see you soon.