Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This is Girls Talk Boys Talk, presented by Jigsaw of Dating, Preferred Dating, partner of the Dallas Cowboys and broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World Headquarters at the Star. Now your hosts Jess Navarrees, Aisha Morrison, Kelsey Charles, and Jane Slater.
Speaker 4: Hello, everyone, Welcome to another episode of Girls Talk Boys Talk. I am your host today, Yes, taking over for I got big shoes to fill, though I realize that definitely not replacing by any means. Jane Slater is taking the day off. Well deserved rest day for our queen. I mean, listen, it's been a long week for a lot of us. Yeah, I think Cowboys Nation this The game didn't help. The developments after the game didn't help.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so uh, but you know what we're alling together well. And the fact that it was a Sunday night. On top of that, those Sunday night games are already brutal. The scaries, they really those scaries hit you have Sunday night, and then all of everything else that just piled on top of it, had the bubble dishaus Monday.
Speaker 6: So I would never ignore me.
Speaker 7: I mean, we talked about bunions on here before, so we did that. She's kind of broken the bank.
Speaker 5: It's it's all open, it's all out there at this point in.
Speaker 7: Hey, listen, Yeah, I get the beg's before the game. You know, I don't have no show. I feel like I bet you a lot of players get the beg's before the game.
Speaker 6: It's a real thing.
Speaker 7: It's a real thing.
Speaker 6: It's a real thing.
Speaker 7: Okay, help what your nervous system does.
Speaker 5: It's an anxiety things.
Speaker 4: I'm struggling pleas Hey, guys, welcome to Chris Beam to the show.
Speaker 6: He is our one true king.
Speaker 5: Amazing are one.
Speaker 6: Of our producers as well.
Speaker 4: All right, So I do want to jump in though, because while we're getting Ash's mic fixed, we are also trying to simultaneously fix our quarterback and Dak Prescott had surgery yesterday on his thumb. I did tell you guys yesterday I had like a similar injury in high school.
Speaker 6: Didn't have to get the plate.
Speaker 4: And again I wanted to preface what I was telling you guys yesterday and how it took like almost eight weeks from me listen, I am not a professional outrack. I was not dealing with professional training staff who can get me upright in like a shortened amount of time. So I want to make sure we all are aware of that. Take my analysis in that regard with my experience the great of Salt, but someone who did have some thoughts that I thought were pretty interesting. Nevertheless, we're Jerry Jones, and so we're gonna pop over to that quote real quick. He had his weekly appearance. I want to part through the fan and we're here. We had to say right.
Speaker 8: Now, if you know, in medical nobody knows those timelines good. But if we thought he wasn't going to be ready to go for four games till after four games, we would put him on that hour. We're not doing that. We think he can come in and play, so we don't want to not have him out there practicing. We want him getting prepared and we'll see how he handles us saying hat heals mainly how he can his strength, can grip the ball, what his status is, But that's not being an optimist. The proof is that we've got a good surgery, got good technique, and feel better about it than we did Sunday night.
Speaker 4: So the main takeaway from that, The shocking takeaway from that, I think is the four week timetable.
Speaker 6: You can call it shocking. I personally, I was surprised to hear that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, does it feel like this team might be pushing him to get on the field sooner rather than later? I mean, what were your thoughts on hearing that four week estimate that would put him at the Rams game? Okay, so he had the surgery yesterday, went to a specialist.
Speaker 6: We all know that's kind of the drill.
Speaker 4: But I think the early projections were six to eight weeks, and now they're saying four.
Speaker 6: Jess, are you feeling comfortable with that number? Are you little.
Speaker 4: Nervous about what Jerry has to say about his potential return.
Speaker 5: Look, here's the thing. I always get nervous about players returning from any form of injury. So that's always a worry that you're putting them back in too quickly. However, you're talking about your franchise quarterback, you're talking about your QB one, and you're talking about his throwing hand. I think it would be one thing if it wasn't his throwing hand already an injury that is worth keeping an eye on. You need both of your hands right, it's your throwing hand. And I think my biggest fear would be bringing him back too early, and with that you reinjure and then you're in an even worse position than you were before, and very similar to what we saw happen with the Bucks side of the ball with Chris Godwin. And I think reaggravating an injury is just something that you really have to be careful with. And what I don't want to happen is say the Cowboys don't put Dak Prescott on IR, which they're not going to, and what if he not ready at that point then what So it's kind of I think pushing him to come back a little too early. I'm not a doctor though, so I'm not a surgeon. I didn't see what he was working with. But to me, it seems a little premature to uh, really, just to be honest, make Dak the scapegoat for saving the season if it's in a hole at that point, because if the Cowboys aren't winning, and there's so many factors that go into it, right, is if the Cowboys aren't winning at that point, then yeah, they're they're going to be in more of a rush to bring him back. If they are, though, then you kind of have the leeway to say, Okay, well, you know we're winning, We're in a good position. I just I think it's too premature to make that decision right now.
Speaker 7: Well, yeah, I'll second that. I hearing the news, I was like, okay, because you know, like you were saying, Kelsey about your personal story, I asked a couple of my friends that have play at the game and have had similar injuries. It depends on the player. It also depends on how it breaks, if it's clean break, it depends on if there's any ligaments broken. So I still want to hear a little bit more information as to why they came to that conclusion. However, I will say that with what you were saying, yes about him being rushed back and stuff like that, I don't know how all of ir and all that stuff works. But if they don't put him on I R and he's not starting at game four, game three or whatever, maybe they maybe they still want the opportunity to be able to slowly ease him back into playing. So that may be the reason why. And that because you may see Cooper Rush or Wilger opinion. You know, play play my dad. You might see them play. You might see them play, right. But then in this like three game, that third game, three or four, whatever, maybe Dak plays the second half maybe, or you know, maybe they just started easing him with snaps. So I kind of want to keep my ears low to the ground and see what happens with that. But when you're talking about I don't know if I know we're gonna get into it, like more about the game, because I still got a lot to say. But in regard to his in regard to his injury, I feel like I definitely was positive about it because I think one thing we also have to understand too, is that Dak is a diligent worker and whatever way he can get back on the field, he's going to. They were talking about he was even having surgery the same night if he would have, if he would have had the opportunity to, So I think that's something we also have to consider when we're talking about players coming back from injury. Yes, Britt Brown and them, they're fantastic at what they do. What they did with Jayalen Smith was insane. Yes, that magic, absolutely magic. As someone that has nerve damaged down my left leg insane what they were able to do with him. So I definitely have faith in the Cowboys training staff and then being able to help him. But I definitely want us to keep considering the quarterback and how the quarterback works. And this quarterback wants to be on the field, so he's probably gonna do everything he possibly can to do that. So I just wanted to consider him.
Speaker 5: There, Kelsey, I wanted to ask you yesterday. I meant to ask you after that surgery, what did your thumb feel like? And even now that it's years later, is there some things or some some ways you can't really move it? And again we're not saying that it's it's the right comparison, right, we just said that, but sure, I'm just curious. Is there any limitations you have with your thumb that maybe you know you've noticed or anything like that.
Speaker 6: None, honestly, I mean, it really was. It's just like a pin I have. I have a scar. I have a little scar.
Speaker 4: If I could, if I felt like I you'd be able to see it. It's so it's so small you can't even tell it's there. All right, you have a scar because they.
Speaker 6: Literally put a pin. This is my specific surgery.
Speaker 4: They put a pin through my thumb to like connect the bones again, and you just had to like it would just look like a little like.
Speaker 6: I don't even know.
Speaker 4: It just was a pin through my thumb, and honestly, everything's fine. I don't even remember that I have it. So, I mean, I have full confidence. Like you said in this training stuff, I'm not worried about them. I think the one thing, I think you made a really good point. So when you do go to IR, you don't have the ability to participate in some of the activities with the practice.
Speaker 7: They want him to practice, they want him to stay around. They want him to because this is a young receiving core like we were talking about and stuff. So I definitely feel like they just wanted to keep the option of him being on the field because it is also because it is a thumb thing. And if I and I do believe if what if it wasn't a thumb, You've seen players have injury finger injuries and still play through them.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so I think it was like big clubs track.
Speaker 7: So I'm sure he's I'm sure he's extremely frustrated because he's like, out of all the fingers I could have, he probably could have dealt with, you know, with the being able to grip the ball and stuff. So I think they just want him close and to continue to work with him. So I'm just I at this point just giving everything that's transpired. I'm learning myself to take things with a grain of salt, but with the supporting evidence. Once we get supporting evidence, once we get it, if we get any, and I'll go ahead and make a determination for it. But for Dak, I'm happy that it's not as serious or it's not going to be, because I think time away from the game is hard on him. So I definitely think this is good for him.
Speaker 4: Yes, we did talk about the backup court backage situation, and obviously I think you a preference.
Speaker 6: It sounds like you like.
Speaker 4: Will Greer, and I respect it because, like listen, I don't think in a training camp anyone thought that he would be giving Cooper Rush the time that he did. I mean listened like it was like I like to joke about Bendinucci. I'm a Bendinucci stand.
Speaker 5: I love them just about to bring him because it's just it's.
Speaker 4: Fun for me, like I go full blown like Internet on game day, like gets a little reckless. That's fine, like all caps Kelsey Okay, so you know, but I feel like, for me, how do you guys fee about the backup quarterback situation because at this point in time, it is going to be Cooper Rush is your number one guy. Yeah, but I think back to the quarterbacks in the backup room in years past where I almost feel like we got a little spoiled dare I say with our backup quarterback situation and we had guys who were previous starters in the league who are backing up Dak, who are backing up Tony. So you knew when Kyle Orton went in the game he had done it before, right. You knew when Matt Castle went in the game that he had done that in Kansas City. Like, you didn't have to worry about that.
Speaker 6: Cooper Rush.
Speaker 4: I mean you, it's very limited the time he spent as a starter on the NFL fields.
Speaker 7: I'm so my thing about Cooper Rush and all respect to him for what he did in Minnesota and obviously being around it sounds like Dak and him have a good relationship and he feeds he feeds information into DAK because sometimes I noticed that about back A lot of backup qbs. Some a lot of backup qbs know the game, they just struggle with still you know, the piece the executing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so ke.
Speaker 7: Literally, So there's still some there's still some you know, information he's getting there. But the thing that I saw with Cooper Rush in training camp, and this is something that happened last year as well, is that it just felt like that ball is late getting to those receivers. It's just not enough zip on it. And I in the preseason you even saw like the ball was so late that some of these wide receivers were put in weird positions. But I will also say this is a point that was brought up on Skywalker Steele's show earlier today. Hey, there is something to be said about the fact that Cooper Rush and Will Greer have gotten you know, numerous snaps in practice with those gentlemen, those you know, the to the Houston's, the Jalen Tovers, who I hope you talk about today like he like, So there is a little bit maybe you know, with DAK coming in no preseason, those guys maybe are not fully connected, but they they did have preseason games together, So I thought that was a good point.
Speaker 5: And to your point, you know what's man, I really wish it wasn't a form of foreshadowing during the preseason or the preseason, the pregame warmups on Sunday, my dad and I were sitting there watching Dak and we were watching Cooper Rush, and we were sitting there comparing the You like, look at how how nippy Dak is when.
Speaker 6: You did this to us, Jesse, I'm not saying that.
Speaker 5: I don't want to be the bad omen. Nobody tweet me tell me I'm the bad omen. Oh my goodness. But you can see it. You can see the visible difference. But to your point about him working with all of really the wide receivers through throughout training camp, do I have as much faith in Cooper Rush as I do in Dak Prescott. No, obviously, nobody will. He is your second string quarterback for a reason. However, I would feel a little more nervous if he didn't get as many snaps as he did during the preseason, both him and Will Greer, and mostly him, because Will Greer was down for a good amount of the preseason, so he was really having that time to connect with the wide receivers to make those connections, and looking back now, is probably a good thing that he did get those preseason snaps and he got those practices, and he was getting those second reps right behind Dak. And I'm not saying I'm one hundred percent confident in him, because everybody has a right to be nervous when you're talking about a backup quarterback, right, But I think people aren't giving him enough credit to the work he did put in this preseason during the off season that he did, and the guys have the respect for him in the locker room. It's not like he's just walking in here. He has those pre established relationships with these guys. He's been here. He's somebody that they look up to in their respect. So that's hard to earn as well well.
Speaker 7: I will also say, and I'll let you go ahead, Kelsey, but I wanted to say with the will Will Grier thing. I when you know Will Gear started, you know, kind of competing with Cooper Rush for that position, I said to myself, like, which quarterback if Dak was to go down, which quarterback is going to cause me to have to change my offense? More and right now even more, especially that to me, he is Cooper Rush because of the really because of the lack of mobility. I don't know what it sounds like, the Cowboys want Cooper Rush under center. I will say that Jerry did say when he was doing his interview earlier, he mentioned will Gear's name. He mentioned the competition, he mentioned what they saw, and you know, like we know how those interviews go sometime, but I did take some good information from there, and I felt like I was just even happy they were mentioning he mentioned his name, because I mean, you haven't even been hearing his name in this conversation since Dak went down. It was Cooper Rush automatically. So I was very happy to hear even the idea of Will gre name being thrown out there because we haven't gotten to see him. And I don't know, I just think he gives gives this offense a better chance to you know, to keep moving the ball, like well, to move the ball. I just want absolutely and.
Speaker 6: We'll get literally, we'll get it.
Speaker 4: At well, we are going to talk about more of how this team is reacting to the situation at hand after the break. We've got some interesting thoughts and some developments that these players have been showcasing post game that more comming up next.
Speaker 9: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 10: Five G requires compatable planning device. Five G may not be available in your area. S he Att dot com slash bygi for you for details.
Speaker 11: What do you call a group of grown men and women with their faces painted silver and blue who get together every week to share a three hour long ritual of jumping, sinking, and toasting Miller lite and tim gallon hats while yelling how about them cowboys?
Speaker 2: You call it Miller Time in Dallas.
Speaker 11: Here's to the cowboys, Here's to the original light beer.
Speaker 2: It's Miller Time.
Speaker 11: Celebrate Responsibly twenty twenty one, Miller Brewing Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 12: The Cowboys Way, where sixteen Hall of Famers and five championship shows us what success looks like. Where Turkey is always the second best part of Thanksgiving Day, Where we are all defined by one single thing, the Star, where we as fans know it's our job to keep the tradition going. Bank of America is proud to be the official bank of the Dallas Cowboys and to support the quest of living life. The Cowboys Way Copyright twenty twenty Bank of America Corporation.
Speaker 5: This sweet.
Speaker 2: Did you get to work on time?
Speaker 7: Yeah, but I just realized it's Sunday.
Speaker 2: Little sweets his head on home. Doctor Pepper is on its way. So maybe there's nothing.
Speaker 5: Bet.
Speaker 9: I'll bet you've probably done something that deserves not done.
Speaker 2: That you investistic and f t and I don't even know what that is. It's a non fungible token.
Speaker 3: Something dot deserts a Doctor Pepper.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to another segment of Girls Talk, Boys Talk, brought to you by Jigsaw Daine, the preferred dating app of the Dallas Cowboys. We're just talking before we get back into it about how like, I'm pretty sure we're talking about our dating lives and how I think if you're not a Cowboys fan, like I don't think it's gonna work like rot. I understand having a like a like difference is like that actually makes you a stronger couple for some people. But like every Sunday, you have to know what we're doing.
Speaker 5: Right well, and you have to keep up. And if you're gonna watch girls talk boys talk, which you absolutely should, you're not gonna know what's going on. So yeah, and you cannot be a Philadelphia fan. I'm sorry.
Speaker 6: Absolutely not. Absolutely, that's a hard that's a hard line.
Speaker 5: Anybody watching this, if they are a Philly fan, red flag automatic run me, you know, just leave, Yes, just tell them. I don't need to give your reasons.
Speaker 6: You're stealthy, Like I'm concerned.
Speaker 5: I just questioned the kind of person you are. But yeah, moving on.
Speaker 4: So that would be our response if you came to us as a non Cowboys fan trying to hang out.
Speaker 6: With us for the long term.
Speaker 5: But I do want to dive.
Speaker 4: Into more of how the team is responding to this ugly, ugly game. I know you all saw it, so I hate to rub it in. I'm gonna say it again, Dallas Cowboys are the only team in Week one to not score a touchdown.
Speaker 6: So that is fun.
Speaker 4: Salt in wound, Yeah, salt And I just love how we keep collecting trophies of the wrong type.
Speaker 5: It's exactly what it is, and it's you know, to an extent, it's when is enough enough of this? And how? I mean we all hear it all the time, whether it's on Twitter, whether we're watching it, no matter what. Are these kind of things being brought up in the locker room? Is My question is, hey, guys, this is unacceptable, this is it's embarrassing really, and I think there are so many guys all this entire team deserves better than to be that low in the total pole across the NFL.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's embarrassing, to say the least. I think that's the only way you can describe it. Yeah, But I do feel like as a player, this game is just as mental as it is physical, and you really do have to figure out how to have a short term memory. You know, that was obviously a terrible game. You have to be able to stand up and shake it off and move on. And I want to let you guys hear what Dalton Schultz had to say and get your thoughts on that, because I feel like he has emerged as a leader on this team in recent years, and I really love what he had to say. So Jazzy, let's let's hear what mister Schultz.
Speaker 13: I mean, not how we wanted to start the year off. Absolutely, But then again, obviously there's, like any first game, whether the winter lose, there's a lot of really good tape to watch. So that's all we can do is go back, you know, evaluate what we did, and come back ready to go next week.
Speaker 4: All right, So Ayisha, I mean thoughts because again, like he kind of he didn't even have an amazing game, but he at the same time had one of the best games of anyone who was on the Cowboys team.
Speaker 7: I wanted to so listening to the interview and listen to the players interviews, especially when you start talking about like tight end rewatching this game over and looking at the tape and stuff like, there's only so much some of these guys can do in these situations, and I really want to bring attention to the play calling, like it's I watched I watched the game over and over again because I thought I was tripping pain. I thought I was tripping because I kept seeing plays that I saw in the forty nine Ers game the Saints game last year. I started seeing a lot of the same thing happening. And it was really frustrating in this game too, because the Cowboys did have some success running the ball early. They did have some like the Titands were Peyton Hendershot was not afraid to get in there in block. I saw some good things from him. They were getting they had some success taking the edges, running the edges and scheming up things there, and they went away from it. And when they went away from it, it really at that point there's seventy b's and coverage they're rushing for like the Broncos did the blue print. Dang it, Honestly, there was no The lack of the lack of there not being a vertical threat really hurt the Cowboys. It desperately hurt the Cowboys. And I can't explain it, like there's a there's an element in football that I think doesn't get talked about a lot, and it's just player to player respect. What do you do well? We can sit here and talk about x's and o's all the time and stuff. But if that team doesn't respect what you do offensively, it doesn't It doesn't matter what you're flashing, it doesn't matter what's going on. And very quickly early in that game, you could tell that Tampa Bay said, we know y'all can't pass the ball. They were they were jumping routes, they were biting on everything. It was just so evident. And I just right now with this offense, I'm trying to figure out where the preparation is because even casual fans can look at this game and say, why did you go away from the run?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 7: Why would you go away from the run? Ezekiel Elliott averaging five point five point two yards to carry? Why would you go away from the run? And I mean, granted, your quarterback didn't play well. He didn't play well, but at the same time, it felt as though they were almost scheming into the worst parts of that of that defense. It was they played into what Tampa Bay wanted them to do. And it was so frustrating because you're waiting for a counter, you're waiting for what's the next thing, You're waiting for a second half adjustment. So excuse me for going on my rent, but when I hear dult Shows, who I think is trying to put forth the best effort he can in a contract on a franchise tag, Yep, this stuff can't happen. Penalties. We talked about penalties and granted and granted. We heard Kellen Kellen Moore comment on, you know, on guys, if they can't, if they can't hold up, if they can't play that role and you know, play that that position at a high level, then maybe you'll find another guy. And I feel for Terren still because he doesn't have a record of getting a whole bunch of pre snap stuff. But those were drive killers, and I'm just right right, I'm sorry, y'all right now where I'm at. It made me sad here in Dalton Shows because I'm like, he can only do so much as a receiver. He can only do so much for this offense. These receivers are gonna have to come on with it too.
Speaker 5: Well, and for Dalton Schultz to step up and be the leader of the offense, like you just said. And he's on that franchise tag, so this is his year to prove he is that guy. I am worth the So he made a statement early in this game to say, hey, I'm clutch, I'm here, I'm wide open. I'm gonna make myself wide open. And you know, again, that doesn't say much for the game that they had. But something else he said during that postgame interview in the locker room was he said, quote, you got two choices. You can either run away from the storm or you can run right into it. I know, myself included, and everybody in this locker room is running right into that. MF. That's just our approach. I'm not trying to get bleeped out everybody.
Speaker 6: I'm a podcast on here, but I can't relate.
Speaker 5: But here's the thing. I respect Dalton Schultz and the stance that he's taking is becoming really an offensive leader. Because looking back to his rookie season, everyone said, who Dalton Schultz, who's got He's not gonna be here this year, He's not gonna make the fifty three. We're never gonna hear that name again. He's really established who he is as a player for this team and in that tight end position, and I can I can respect that. However, you can only respect so much right when the other team has zero respect for you, especially early on. Like you said, I used it to your point when they saw exactly what they saw last time that they played them, like, oh, this is gonna be easy because it's the exact same thing. It's the exact same deficits that you had last season that ultimately one cost you the game and two that you still haven't changed. And I think the most frustrating thing, you know, I'm talking with my Cowboys fans side of my brain here is when when Jerry Jones or not Jerry Jones, when Mike McCarthy spoke yesterday in the press conference, he said, we're not changing anything. The play calling's not changing, and Kelsey, you said this something has to change. You have your backup quarterback yet who doesn't have the same play style as Deck.
Speaker 6: I'm literally I don't believe you when you say that to me.
Speaker 7: Well, well, when you're talking about not changing the play calling, if you don't change the play calling and get more receiving options on the field, then you're not nothing's gonna literally, there were so many plays when you look at the tape that there were only three receiving options at the end of like and I think and this could be me. They were sending the tight ends in to help, you know, out with the tackles. I think that they overhelped a little bit too much with Tyler Smith. And I understand, and I understand wanting to help, but there were quite a few instances where he had his guy. He was fine. But when you bring that tight end in there to chip, then they're not running route, right, they're not running around.
Speaker 6: That takes away one other offensive threat.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they're not an option. And one of the biggest problems in this game yesterday, well yesterday Sunday, was that there were far more defensive players on the field and not enough receiving options. And that's scheme, yep, that scheme. That's preparation, and there was never an adjustment for that. I'm sorry, I'm fussing again.
Speaker 4: No, but I want to dive underneath, like the surface a little bit with that too, because you're talking about how you have a tight end there and everyone us included especially, I mean, I'll take credit for that.
Speaker 6: I was.
Speaker 4: I'm worried about putting a rookie tackle out there at the left tackle position. So to me, it feels like mentally they're trying to be like, hey man, we got you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, like we got you. But in doing that, are.
Speaker 5: You ouplimizing so many other things you are?
Speaker 4: And I also feel like, too, are you, as a coordinator betraying the trust of your team. We talked so much about culture and how people were bought into Mike McCarthy and all of that, But then on the coordinator level, do your players trust you to ultimately scheme up the plays to get the job done.
Speaker 7: If you look at Okay, I'm not gonna no, I want to hear it.
Speaker 6: I want to let's because this type was littal.
Speaker 7: This tape was brutal. This tape was The tape was brutal. It was brutal because guys weren't finishing routes. Guys looked like they had checked out a certain place. Guys knew the ball wasn't going to them, so they didn't. It was a couple of times like I don't know if.
Speaker 4: They didn't go like full Jalen Smith though, like when he would like stop, I don't know.
Speaker 5: If you guys are level.
Speaker 7: I think well. The new level was having to watch that film over again, girl like it was very hard for me. I am emotionally drained. Yeah, play action five times five times. When you are averaging five point two yards of care, you have a young receiving core, you have to do things to listen. If you're not going to scheme, scheme waste for this this receiver corp to get open, you're either going to have to go at people early vertically and just at least at like the threats there have some success there, or you need to run the ball and make them.
Speaker 5: Well, here's your going. Here's the thing. All of this sounds like something that we've heard from so many people. Mike McCarthy, Kellen Moore, Jerry Jones called fundamentals, what is going on? We're not even We're the Cowboys aren't even doing that. The Cowboys seem to have just ditched it. And really it's frustrating because I haven't I haven't had it in me to go back and watch the game issues.
Speaker 7: So I give you some Please don't make a.
Speaker 5: Say. I will say though, from what I saw at the game, they ditched it early. And I'm talking first end of first quarter. You knew what route we were going down. Whether you wanted to be in denial or not, you knew the Cowboys were not going to look good. There was hope at halftime, Hey, can we readjust? Can the Cowboys come out? Can they readjust? They can? They do all the things they need to do? And then you see them again the first possession of the third quarter the same thing. When do we go back to the fundamental of football and saying, finish your routes at least, at the very least, do the bare minimum. And I think that's so so frustrating and to your point another thing. You can only do so much when you have those momentum killers. And I'm gonna bring this up every day until we really don't see any more penalties coming from the Cowboys. The number one twenty seven? Everybody, why is that's significant? The amount of penalties the Cowboys had last year and the amount of penalties that killed the momentum this game and possibly gave the Cowboys uh more of one step forward twenty steps back, literally, because you are putting yourself in a worse position when you are struggling and you take the first down every single time.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and you don't have you can't get him down in distance with with no vertical threat right now, And I'm not saying ceedee, Lamb is not a vertical threat. Don't don't get it twisted. I think that he has the capability. He can't do it all, but tracking that, yeah, tracking that, and so another thing the Cowboys went to, so you just want to let.
Speaker 5: Fly, want to get it on the fly, saying hey, I have some.
Speaker 8: With us.
Speaker 7: But no, I definitely felt like there was no rhythm. Uh, there was never and and Dak needs a rhythm. I really expected for them to have the same approach as a Tampa Bay that, Hey, offensive line, you got some young guys on here, we're gonna try to get the ball out, have some quick eating intermedia routes and be successful there. And it was just nothing seemed like it was intentional. It was just like, oh, this is there, this is there, and it's just I can't explain it. It was too much slow, progressive developing plays for receivers, especially like a Dennis Houston who struggled to get off the line of scrimmage within the bump and run. That's not it.
Speaker 5: And that's not it. We talked about Dennis Houston yesterday and I can see Dak wants him to be a clutch receiver. I can see that Dak was trying to get the ball to him, and whether it was a target issue or he was an open issue, whether it was both, whatever the case was, I just don't feel like these guys were set up for success in this game, and they weren't set up for success early on when the play calling didn't change. Kellen Moore starts off with these fancy play calls in the first quarter, first drive, and I'm like, Okay, I see you, I think, but what are we going to continue to do this? Like, I don't know, so I don't know if I like this or not, but at least we're doing something different, question mark, Let's see what happens. And then by the end of the first quarter we're back to the same thing that we saw and the Cowboys season with a forty nine ers game, the exact same play calling or lack of that just doesn't work. And again, it's a scheme thing. The scheme is not working for the offense. And you even go back to some of those postgame pressers or media interviews in the locker room, and really you go back, de law is saying, you know, hey, the defense did a great job, right so he's saying their job is to create turnovers, give the offense more opportunity to score, and if they have to score, they have to do it. Y'all were doing that. I mean, you know that's what you were doing. The offense just has to finish the delivery there, he said. You know, now it's his job to get the soldiers in line and handle their jobs. Zeke mentioned to clean up the protection and clean up the penalties. Gee, I wonder why he mentioned that, because guess who else did Tyler Smith that, you know, the flags created missed opportunities. And then Dalton Schultz talked about his running into the storm but also mentioning too many penalties and they were beating themselves throughout the game, not playing easy, fundamental football. And then you know, you just keep hearing the same thing over and over these guys.
Speaker 4: And I actually want to break that down here in a minute, because I think all of us are in a position where we're just kind of beside ourselves. We're like, how did we go through last season and quite literally come out of that worse yea, and how did we expect to be better based off of a lack of action, a lack of discipline, whatever you want to call it. So I do this thing in work where we kind of do like a debrief, we sum it at the end of an event of some sort, and we do key learning. So we're going to talk about key learnings coming up next to This team absolutely has to take away from that dumpster fire of a game. You know, I don't ever ever want to watch that film ever again. I don't think I can't imagine that you did that. I could never and just break it down for these guys and like, here's what you need to do to make sure to keep the team a float for when Dak is back.
Speaker 6: That's coming up next. Sweet, did you get to work on time?
Speaker 7: Yeah, but I just realized it's Sunday.
Speaker 6: Little sweets his head on home.
Speaker 2: Doctor Pepper is on its way.
Speaker 9: So Sweet, maybe there's nothing better.
Speaker 2: I'm good. You've probably done something that deserves you.
Speaker 9: Investistic in an NFT and I don't even.
Speaker 2: Know what that is.
Speaker 5: It's a non fungible token, something that deserves.
Speaker 9: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 10: Five G requires compatable plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details. Brace yourself for an existential question. Has your butt been having enough fun lately? Have you been treating it well? Has it been going places? If not, then it's about time you start using seat Geek. Seat geek is the best way to get your butt tickets to live events. Just ask the thousands of other butts who have rated it the number one ticketing app.
Speaker 2: So what are you waiting for?
Speaker 10: Download the app now or visit SeatGeek dot com to get tickets to sports, concerts and live events and make your butt happy. Seat geek get your seat in a seat.
Speaker 11: What do you call a group of grown men and women with their faces painted silver and blue who get together every week to share a three hour long ritual of jumping, sinking, and toasting Miller Lite and Tim Gallon hats while yelling, how about them cowboys?
Speaker 2: You call it Miller Time in Dallas.
Speaker 11: Here's to the Cowboys, Here's to the original light beer.
Speaker 2: It's Miller Time. Celebrate Responsibly.
Speaker 11: Twenty twenty one, Miller Brewing Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 4: Welcome back, everyone to the final segment. Girls Talk, Boys Talk, joined by Asha Morrison. Justin ours, I'm Kelse Charles if you don't know me by now, and we are brought to you by Jigsaw Dating for dating app the Dallas Cowboys also the Goat, yes, also the goat save us from ourselves on the dating apps.
Speaker 6: We won't even go to the yet.
Speaker 4: We are here though, to save the Dallas Cowboys from themselves. So you know what, Listen, there's not a lot of silver linings in this last game. I probably pulled a well, maybe like a two or three. We'll get those at the end. But I do want to get key learnings you dug into the tape, Ayisha. So let's break it down. Let's make it really tangible, like a list, right, like a checklist, because apparently like this team needs that, and I'm okay with providing that.
Speaker 6: I'm a good list maker, Like, look, I got all these.
Speaker 5: Oh you're gonna say, how about we make a list, we keep it, and then we come back next week and we go over our lists.
Speaker 6: I love that.
Speaker 4: So what are some of the things that this team absolutely has to get right to keep themselves afloat? Honestly, dare I say, just through this next game.
Speaker 5: One day at a time?
Speaker 7: I would, honestly, I would think. We talked about the penalties. But don't get me, we stalked about the penalties. But just run the ball, just just it's I think it's difficult for teams to like stick with because it does drain the clock. There is anxiety involved in just having trust and running the ball. But your average, if you're averaging five point two yards a clip, why why Because eventually they're going to tire out or eventually they're gonna have to bring another guy down there, and that's gonna make things easier for your young receiver corps. The play action there was, like I talked about, there was only five play action play action plays, and they weren't they weren't there successful. They weren't designed that well either. So I feel like in this situation you saw some success running the ball. You did. Tyler Smith had his few little growing pains, but yo, he's moving people out the way. You have a guy that is gonna continue to develop, stay healthy. It's it's nice. McGovern went down and left guard Matt farnioc stock, get up off, get out of my business. So Matt farniec wants to break the fly. He stepped in and we saw it wasn't he didn't. It was his first debut, you know, at Liquard. But yeah, Jason Peters is insurance. Don't know what they're gonna do with him. That's what this old line could could make an upgrade there like you never know. And if you do do that, you already saw you could run the ball effectively without that, and the Bucks defense is no joke right there front, Steven is no joke. So with that, I am confident in the ability and I'm hoping that they continue to run the ball because I think if you don't, the past schemeing you're doing is not gonna do anything. You just have to run the ball and make somebody respect what you're doing.
Speaker 6: What about you, Jess.
Speaker 5: Okay, so obviously we're gonna stick to my least favorite favorite thing to talk about, which is penalty.
Speaker 6: I was waiting for this.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna say it every week until it doesn't happen. Boy, everything I feel like uh is Sandra Bullock and the Blindside and just like.
Speaker 4: Run the dang ball, I've never seen it just for the Kelsey Wait, no, I have just kiddie, just kidding.
Speaker 6: Don't don't hate me.
Speaker 5: You made me pull out the first kids last name. Okay, Well, anyway, so aside from the penalties, I added to that because you said, run the ball is on the list, but I put dot dot dot and stick to it because that's the key thing is sure you ran the ball. We saw that and it was working. But at what point are are we ditching the run game altogether? And Zeke's getting ten touches per game? U right, and it's unacceptable. So personally adding to the list, I want Zeke to bust a hundred yard. That is really the only way I think the Dallas Cowboys can really be effective in a game is when that man is eating, and he is eating one hundred yard games. We have seen it be successful. We have seen it, we know it can happen. We know he can do it. We know he's no longer injured this season, and he's healthy.
Speaker 7: He's ready.
Speaker 5: He looked gay when he was busting through. I was just waiting, just keep going, keep pounding it, keep going and running was he was ready for a game. And he came out also with something to prove because he had a lot of scrutiny. Let's tell what it is. He had a lot of scrutiny last season. Oh he's washed up, Oh he's not the running back and Tony Pollard. This he had a lot to prove, and Zeke just didn't have the opportunity to really shine like I think he was ready to. So for me, I'm adding to this list. I want to see Zeke have a one hundred yard game, and I will not minim anything a minimum, and I won't accept anything lesse than that.
Speaker 6: Let's go. I'm pretty picking into existence.
Speaker 4: No, but I'm an Actually I'm gonna I'm gonna build upon that, just because I feel like we've touched on this several times, and accountability is really important with this team. You got to have the guys in the field they're gonna make it happen. But I really it's equally as important that you have the guys who are scheming of the place, who are putting you in a position to succeed. And I really feel like this Cowboys offense looks one dimensional and the lack of in game adjustments is wildly concerning to me, and it just simply cannot happen anymore. Like, you absolutely have to be nimble, You have to adjust, You have to take what the defense is giving you and and do something with it like react respond. I know you had a plan, but if the plan shifts, take it day by day and do something with it, Like I need to see a little bit more of a dynamic effort if I will say.
Speaker 7: It does the effort it's gonna take with the with the loss of a Duck Prescott, Yes, it's gonna take all around effort, correct because because it's their losses were big prior to this, you know from in the receiver room. But now like with no no Dak Prescott, your receiver, I'm telling you, the receivers are gonna have to step it up a notch. And that's I mean, that's coming to every ball that's running each route as hard as you can because you don't know when you're gonna be open.
Speaker 5: And we already knew that the receivers for the Cowboys had to step up going into this game pre Dak injury. Now you're talking even more pressure because you now have to re establish that chemistry with Cooper Rush. Given we saw it during the preseason and like you talked about, that's going to become a factor that he did get a lot of those reps in. But they've been practicing with Dak getting ready for the Bucks game. So now you have to re establish that chemistry and you have even more to prove after the way that game ended, after being the only team in the NFL to not score a touchdown. You need to be in the end zone. All of you in the end zone. Sit in the end zone, like, let me go talk to that to you and be like, I want to see each and every one of you in the end zone this weekend, because at the end of the day, that is a lot of them are younger players. It's demoralizing for them sure to sit there and say, oh, you guys can even make it in the end zone. It's so demoralizing, and I want to believe. I want to believe that they are so much better than what they showed us. And maybe that's the delusion. Maybe I'm not sure, but SKA, we saw so many better things in those joint practices and in the preseason snaps with some of the receivers that we're seeing right now, we saw great things from them. I just again, to your point, it's it's the first game. This guy's not falling. It's okay, everybody, we can breathe, we can be upset, but the guy's not falling. And so really to your point, though, I agree, I think a dynamic effort all around is much neat.
Speaker 4: Let's go Kellen. All right, guys, Well we are out of time. So those are some of our key learnings for the day. I'm gonna end it on a high note though, because you know what, I just feel like, little victories is how we like to play, especially in times like these. So our dear friend John Mashouda, who's just on the Beat Writer podcast before us, tweeted this little snippe it out. So just ending on this high note. Michah Parsons was explosive as a pass rusher. In Week one, he notched two sacks kids Tampa Bay and Tom Brady. Along with the sacks, Parsons led the team with two quarterback pressures and led the league in past rush win rate according to NFL's next Stats at sixty percent. So way to go, Micah. Guys, thanks for joining us. We do appreciate it. Jans Leader is back in the saddle tomorrow. Come on hang out with us, same time, same place for Aisha Morrison, Jestinvarro's Kelsey Charles. This has been another episode of Girls Talkboys Talk.
Speaker 6: We'll see you guys tomorrow.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.