Speaker 1: Per It's media podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Meet Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I am not your host, Spencer new Hearth. Instead, I'm your guest host, Randall Williams, Doctor Randall Williams. Since today, we're joined by Giannis cal Spencer, Corey Reva, Tresa Logan and Alex Zimmer. Now Alec, this is your first time playing trivia on the podcast. Why don't you tell folks what you do here at Meat Eater.
Speaker 3: I am the store manager at the flagship Medater store here in downtown Bozeman. We just opened the store here in April and we have kick started it and got it up and going, and we've been having a good show of customers coming out and seeing the store. So if you're in town, come by and check us out. We have a lot of the new gear and some sweet swag that you can pick up been where and show your.
Speaker 4: Support for us.
Speaker 5: Anything unique just to the store.
Speaker 3: We have this certain bison skull that as a hole in it. So if you want to get your picture on some of our social content or to send in a picture, come in and stick your finger in the bison and you can take a picture.
Speaker 5: I was hoping you're going to say, like, yeah, we have these hats that are only available, and I'm going to.
Speaker 2: Warn our audience that you revealed to us only moments before that the bison skull has only been cleaned once since people started disinfected.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, so you might want to wash your hands out of that or Carrie hand sanitizers.
Speaker 2: But depending on how this goes today for you, folks can stop in and either congratulate you or offer some constructive feedback.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I'm looking for it.
Speaker 6: Opening night, when I was at the store, there was a line it's pretty long, like around the block, and I was as I was crossing the street, I was standing next to another couple and the guy saw the name and he said to his I was like, damn, that must be a good steakhouse. So how often people coming in and like have no idea what meat eater is.
Speaker 3: It's actually quite a few people every day that come in and think we are a restaurant or like a meat store that think we sell meat. And it probably is at least two to three people every day that come in and think it's a beat store.
Speaker 5: We should sell some meat.
Speaker 2: We really should have thought about that before we name the company were.
Speaker 6: Down there, I thought when they sell earthworms, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I got bait.
Speaker 5: I do like the There should be kind of something for you got your freeze dried food. You got a little bit of stuff. So if you want to find honey swag gettingers, yeah yeah, there's a little bit of food, a lot of things you can walk out with absolutely.
Speaker 2: Now, as you know, this is a ten round quiz show with questions from meat eaters for verticals which are hunting, fishing, conservation and cooking, and there is a prize. Meat eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winners choosing. Now for the stat of the week this week, we're looking at player performance from the last time I hosted an episode, which as we know, was back in November of twenty twenty three. The winner that day was a man who shall not be named since I am sitting in the host seat today, and that individual had seven correct answers. The average scorer was a three point seventy five, the low score was one, and our guest pro golfer Brian the Butcher Harmon got four correct answers. That episode had won one hundred percenter and one zero percenter, and since we don't have any housekeeping today, we will revisit that zero percenter. This question was from episode four ninety five. The topic was wildlife and nobody got it right ready. Jack Olsen's classic nineteen sixty nine book The Knight of the Grizzlies, which details the fatal maulings of two young women in Glacier National Park, was originally a three part article for What Popular magazine Sports Illustrates, Oh were you here that day?
Speaker 7: Corey?
Speaker 2: That was good. The incorrect answers given that day were Field and Stream, that GEO, Outdoor Life, and Time Magazine. I'm impressed by that well known Thank you.
Speaker 7: It's good start.
Speaker 2: So here's our Infrequently Asked Questions segment. If you have a trivia related question for our crew, please send it to Trivia at the meat Eater dot com with the subject line I f a Q. Dustin Shwitt wants to know. Does doctor Randall do better when Brody isn't present for trivia? It seems like he does. I think doctor Randall is more nervous when Brody is there. I don't really know how I wanna address this one. I think it's probably safe to say is a statistical reality that doctor Randall does do better when Brody isn't present for trivia. But I'm not sure I'd like to give Brody the power of saying that he makes me nervous. I think it's just sort of knowing that the stakes are high and any sort of slip up on my part could result in a catastrophic, disappointing defeat.
Speaker 6: Randall makes Randall nervous.
Speaker 8: I do well. Put.
Speaker 2: I don't think of myself as a particularly nervous individual. But okay, I just like to have fun, you know, keep it lively.
Speaker 5: Sometimes it looks like you're not having fun, though.
Speaker 2: It's all fun. This is a joy every.
Speaker 8: Time I stop in this room.
Speaker 2: It's the best. Now transition. The Sydney Index for the Sydney Index for today is a four, so our winner should get eight correct answers. And in fact, I think there's the potential for a perfect game. So with that, we are onto the game of trivia. Phil Please play the drop.
Speaker 6: Look, I need to know what I stand to win everything.
Speaker 8: I'm saying, just tend to win everything.
Speaker 2: Demon Suckers Question one. This question falls under the category of woodsmanship. What seven letter term refers to a type of forest that resembles a corridor of trees, typically cottonwoods and willows in western North America along the edges of rivers. What and the it's a multiple choice question. The four answers are gallery, bankhead belt, and tunnel.
Speaker 6: I think I know the answer.
Speaker 2: Do you know the answer?
Speaker 6: Well, I'm not gonna I'm not gonna say anymore, but I think I have it.
Speaker 7: I didn't know the answer till you asked the question.
Speaker 6: Yeah, then I knew it. Oh shit, you got okay, Yeah, let's not spoil it for the listeners at home.
Speaker 8: Yeah, or.
Speaker 2: Yet yeah? What seven letter refers to a type of forest that resembles a corridor of trees, typically cottonwoods and willows in western North America along the edges of rivers.
Speaker 7: Thank you for the hint.
Speaker 6: I suspect this wasn't a multiple choice question, and then at some point you like, this one's too hard, I should make this multiple choice Spencer.
Speaker 2: You're exactly right. You're exactly right.
Speaker 6: Good question.
Speaker 8: I wish it wasn't multiple choice.
Speaker 2: You know, I thought a couple of people would know it. But well, this is just off to a great start.
Speaker 8: The pile of squirrels in Cottonwood.
Speaker 2: I will I will say for our listeners again, the answers are gallery, bank, head, belt, or tunnel. We all have answers at the table here. I presume, as you guessed the answer, the answer is this, Oh, I'm sorry. Tresa has gallery, Logan has gallery, Gorey's Gallery, Spencer Has Gallery, Galas Gallery, Glex's Gallery, Revez Gallery, and giannis As Gallery. The only seven litter term among those four answer options is a gallery. The whole room did remarkably.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna do that in the kids episode. Sometimes that's a great trick.
Speaker 2: This is just a test to see how closely you're paying attention to me. Gallery forests and the American West occur along major rivers and streams from southern Saskatchewan to northern Texas, and from the Rocky Mountains to the western borders of Minnesota and Iowa and eastern Kansas. Gallery forests grow in narrow strips that generally range from thirty feet to four hundred feet in width, rarely more than ten to fifteen feet above the river level. Some of the major watersheds associated with this four worst type or the Arkansas, the Kansas, the Platte, the Nibarra, the Missouri, the Red and the milk Rivers. Now, who would have gotten that answer correct had had I not revealed it in my in my question, you're honest, Jana stands alone. Well, sorry to do that to you.
Speaker 6: Last episode, Randall tried to make a declaration about pulling a Kelsey, which is like when you reveal an answer. But now Randall's done it twice. Oh back to bag Weeks the host. I think it's yeah pulling it.
Speaker 2: I'm just glad it was the first question. So we can start this episode up on off on a good note.
Speaker 5: Snapper if it's pulling a Randy?
Speaker 2: Question two. This question falls under the category of fishing. What fishing tackle brand, known primarily for its lead split shot takes part of its two word name from a mischievous mythical creature? Again, what fishing tackle brand, known primarily for its lead split shot takes part of its two word name from a mischievous mythical creature?
Speaker 6: I really like this question. I'd like it more if I knew it.
Speaker 8: I only know one when you tuck those babies into your lips?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Yeah, they just fit between your teeth. Yanni says an answer, Cal has an answer, Corey Tresa, Logan has an answer.
Speaker 4: Is my answer have to have two words?
Speaker 5: I would hope.
Speaker 8: So just make me sure.
Speaker 2: Reeve is still looking for an answer. Alec and Spencer, I mean there's something on my board? Are we are we ready to flip our boards over? Do we want to give it another minute?
Speaker 8: Here?
Speaker 6: Flip It's not gonna come to me.
Speaker 2: Cal says, let's flip them gang, Let's flip them over, he says, Margylures, Logan says eagle claw, Corey Gnome shot, Spencer Nome weights. Cal says water gremlin. Alex says gremlin, Revas says Medusa Tackle and Yannis says water gremlin. Cal and Yannis got it right. Water gremlin. A gremlin is a mischievous creature that causes trouble in mechanical and electrical systems, and became popular among aviators in World War Two as a way of explaining aircraft malfunctions. The Water Gremlin Company of White Bear Township, Minnesota, was founded in nineteen forty nine as a manufacturer of recreational fishing products. In recent years, it has been involved in a number of pollution and workplace safety scandals, and in twenty twenty three it filed for bankruptcy as a result of ninety five civil lawsuits holding water Gremlin accountable for emitting excessive amounts of the carcinogenic chemical TCE, which has been linked to chronic illnesses, cancer, and wrongful deaths in the surrounding community.
Speaker 6: And calcin tastes him. Yeah, not a sponsor of media, I take no.
Speaker 2: They filed for bankruptcy. Walmart pulled them from their shelves, I think prior to that, and so I was unaware of that until I started doing my research here, but learned something new every day. Question three. This is our listener question of the Week, which was won by Jeff Tucker for sending this great question. Jeff is going to get a board game signed by the crew. If you want a chance to win the listener Question of the Week, then send your question to Trivia at the meat Eater dot com. This category this question falls into the category of conservation. What nineteenth century English naturalist, while circumnavigating the world, described the meat roasted from the breastplate of giant tortoises as quote very good yep, apologies again. What nineteenth century English naturalist, while circumnavigating the world, described the meat roasted from the breastplate of giant tortoises as very good? Col's got an answer?
Speaker 5: I do have an answer.
Speaker 2: M heart's a hot start for cal Is it because I know it?
Speaker 5: Or is it because I only know one English naturalist? Well?
Speaker 2: Right, I don't know.
Speaker 8: I wish I could think of one English natural Yeah, I wish that was a helpful hands, but it's it's not.
Speaker 6: Phil What role do do gremlins play in like the supernatural worlds that you you're involved with?
Speaker 4: I only know most of my lore comes from the Joe Dante film.
Speaker 8: That's right.
Speaker 3: That.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but don't get them wet, don't feed them after midnight.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's there's tons of rules.
Speaker 9: Honestly, there is a pretty cool for anyone in the Greater Bozeman metropolitan area. There's a great I think someone talked about this is the second time plug. Yeah, there's there's a cool mythical creatures exhibit at the museum right now from like all different cultures from all around the world. And I, I mean I was just there for this second time because I have children and I don't remember gremlin, but maybe it.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's a recent it's a recent invention.
Speaker 6: Phil, Is that where you can see the Axeltel? I assumed it was.
Speaker 4: That's at the Montana Science Center.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, we're cross pollinating our references here.
Speaker 5: When I first heard about the Mythical Creature exhibit as pretty disappointed. In the Museum of the Rockeys, we talked about this johanness, but then when we went I was relieved to see how they tied it into uh, real creatures that probably were the genesis of the myths.
Speaker 8: Nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it looks like most folks. Yanna still has a blank board here, mm hmm. Reva, do you have an answer? Alec No, I'm going to wait on Giannis here, he's scrawling something. Were you ready to flip it over? Let's flip our boards, Tresa says, Meriwether, Lewis Logan, Charles Darwin, Corey Magellan, Spencer, Darwin, cal Darwin, Alec Blank, Riva, Darwin, Giannis Audubon. The correct answer is Charles Darwin. A couple contexts clues there. Giant tortoises circumnavigating the world when Darwin arrived in the Galapagos Islands aboard the HMS Beagle in the fall of eighteen thirty five. He noted that the inhabitant's staple food of giant tortoises meant that they could count on quote two days hunting, giving them food for the rest of the week. The local custom, according to Darwin, was to capture a live tortoise and to make a slit in the skin near its tail. This was done in order to take stock of the animal's fat reserves under its top shell, as the fat was highly valued for rendering into a clear oil. If a tortoise was determined to be too lean to supply a decent amount of oil, the hunter would simply let it walk away to recover from the As Darwin described it, quote strange operation effective, though effective, And I appreciate that Jeff Tucker was thoughtful enough to include a PDF of scanned pages from his copy of Voyage of the HMS Beagle, so we could get that that that tasty little tidbit.
Speaker 6: There, all right, catch and release tortoise.
Speaker 2: And they actually it was very common for ships traveling the Pacific to just grab hundreds of them and stick them under the stick them in the hull so they could have fresh meat for the rest of their voyage.
Speaker 5: Because tortoises Spencer, you're a four h kid showing off a pig. One of the tests that they do is they poke along the spine of the pig to see if you allowed that critter to get too fat. You want that good meat to fat rate. What are they poking them with just your fingers? But you know Stamford to have a real hard shell up there, So what are you going to do?
Speaker 2: You got to look under the hood question four. This question falls under the category of hunting. The nineteen ninety six film The Ghost and the Darkness starring Val Kilmer and Michael dougl Us depicts an eighteen ninety eight hunt for two individual animals of what big game species. The nineteen ninety six film The Ghost and the Darkness starring Val Kilmer and Michael Douglas depicts an eighteen ninety eight hunt for two individual animals of what big game species?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 8: These are two different species?
Speaker 5: One, well, you should read the book and figure it out.
Speaker 2: It's a film. It's a film. Well, I'll get into that. I'll get into that. And I apologize, Phil, I sent you the wrong spelling of Michael Douglas. My autocorrect wanted to add a second.
Speaker 9: Well, if you couldn't tell from the first question, Randall, I just copy and paste, actually read these things.
Speaker 2: Must we bring that back?
Speaker 5: No quality control.
Speaker 2: I think we've all moved on from that.
Speaker 8: Bill.
Speaker 2: Has anybody seen The Ghost.
Speaker 6: In the Darkness?
Speaker 2: Yep? Great movie, fantastic.
Speaker 6: What's some what's the like pottery throwing scene from some movie that people reference?
Speaker 8: Isn't that ghost?
Speaker 4: That's not the same thing as I just I just live corrected it for you.
Speaker 6: Okay, No ghost ghost.
Speaker 5: Patrick is not the same.
Speaker 2: Yeah, although Vali and Swayze sort of the same genre of hunk.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Val Kilmer, I believe, was fresh off his turn as the Cape Crusader and Batman Forever when he filmed this movie.
Speaker 5: There's a great scene about the you don't go using an unproven rifle.
Speaker 8: M M and darkness.
Speaker 6: Okay, so they hunted this animal with the with the rifle.
Speaker 2: We have Alex writing an answer here, but you've got your answer. Give like another second here.
Speaker 8: I've read the the book to I. It's down between two species.
Speaker 2: Why don't we flip those boards over? Dresa says bears. Logan says Bear Corey African lion, Spencer Wolf, Cal says African lion, Alex says elk, Reva says elk, and Gianna says African lion.
Speaker 8: Oh I love how everybody.
Speaker 5: Put the proper lion on.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, well yeah. The title of the film references the nicknames of two lions that killed at least twenty eight and perhaps as many as seventy workers during the British colonial government's construction of the Uganda Railway. Imagine as a cross between Lawrence of Arabia and Jaws. The Ghost in the Darkness was based on the book The Man Eaters of Tsavo, written by real life British Army officer and hunter John Henry Patterson, who's played by Kilmer. Douglas plays a fictionalized American big game hunter named Charles Remington who's recruited to bring an end to the lion's bloody depredations. Roger Ebert said the film was so awful it quote lacked the usual charm of being so bad it's funny, and added that it was quote an African adventure that makes the Tarzan movies look subtle and realistic and Phil, it's my understanding that we we have the trailer that we can share with our contestants here perfect and feel free to cut it off when you think we've seen enough. I know it's long.
Speaker 7: Aren't these two lions in a museum in Chicago Field Museum.
Speaker 8: I've seen them.
Speaker 3: I've never seen them here.
Speaker 4: They're big.
Speaker 10: Oh my god, Lions don't do this. Lions never had a layer like this. They're doing it for the pleasure.
Speaker 2: They are not lions. They are the ghost and the darkness.
Speaker 6: Don't end this, Phil, You're in a race, and.
Speaker 2: The prize is the continent of Africa.
Speaker 7: We are building the most expensive and daring railroad in history for the glorious purpose of saving Africa from the Africans on the coast and slavery.
Speaker 2: How many do you think they've killed?
Speaker 6: A hundred?
Speaker 8: Maybe more?
Speaker 1: Do we wish the world to think that.
Speaker 6: Because of a few minor difficulties with the local wildlie?
Speaker 3: Are you sure this was a lion?
Speaker 4: I'm gonna look at Remington.
Speaker 8: I assume you've heard of him.
Speaker 10: And you see a problem with that. Actually, no, let's go after them.
Speaker 4: There are so many cuts in this trailer.
Speaker 8: Stay out of my way?
Speaker 6: Do we ever see a lion?
Speaker 5: That's what gets hit from Spencer? They move so fast?
Speaker 2: Then why do it they're not lions with the ghosts in the darkness?
Speaker 6: Because I've got a gift Alchember the ghost and the dark Wow, Okay, thank you will. What accent are they supposed to have there?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: You know, I'm not quite sure. I think that they're They're all.
Speaker 5: British colonization, so you're gonna have a mix of culture.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Cal's right, that one fellow, he always I don't know the name of the actor, but he always plays a real imperious uh yeah, snobby official.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thinks he knows better than everybody.
Speaker 2: Question five. What large non native game bird found in Nevada's Ruby Mountains can be located by its high pitched whistling sounds and has been described as an upland hunter's holy grail due to the challenging to rain in which it lives. I'll read that one again. What large non native game bird found in Nevada's Ruby Mountains can be located by its high pitched whistling sounds and has been described as an upland hunter's holy grail? Due to the challenging terrain in which it lives. Phil This is one of those questions that I tried to slim down and squeeze a few words out of. But I wanted to just get some clues in there.
Speaker 5: You know, honest grand slam turkey hunter, what turkey species?
Speaker 8: It's? The clue is it's not a turkey species.
Speaker 2: Cow's thrown out a little misdirection.
Speaker 5: Cow's doe.
Speaker 2: Gobble's got an answer.
Speaker 8: Someone talk about this, but I don't know it's right.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 8: Meader has multiple times thought about researched, looked at doing an episode around this non native game bird. But you have to pull the trigger on doing it.
Speaker 2: Well, it's an imposing topography there. That's rights of North America.
Speaker 8: They call it very low success rate.
Speaker 4: I know a lot of guys that do it a real easy way.
Speaker 2: You got, well, you reveal that trick to us once we're recording baiting.
Speaker 5: I don't want to give anything away.
Speaker 8: Are you gonna tell us after we reveal our answers?
Speaker 2: They wrote, Cory, I see you've got a blank board.
Speaker 7: There, look like looks like and I can't come up with the name.
Speaker 2: Trusty, You've got an answer and I'm not an artist feeling good. Alec Nova, Come on, I can't.
Speaker 6: African line.
Speaker 2: They're all funny guesses. Cory's written something down, but he doesn't like it.
Speaker 8: Oh, it's not correct.
Speaker 2: I thought this was one you'd know.
Speaker 7: I do know it, and I'll tell you the answer when we reveal our answer.
Speaker 2: Gang, are we ready to flip those boards? Let's do it? Tresa says ruffed grouse, Logan says chucker, Cory says Russian Ptarmigan, Spencer, Himalayan Snowcock, Cal Snowcock. Alec is not an answer, Reeve is not an answer, and Yanna says Himalayan Snowcock. We've got a correct answer in the room. It's Himalayan Snowcock, Spencer and Yanni Scott that Cal says snow Cock.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna I know, I know exactly what I think.
Speaker 2: I do lean towards giving it to you. What, let's get it to Cal.
Speaker 6: They share an office, so there's some politics.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: I mean Corey had the construction Russian Ptarmigan Snowcock.
Speaker 7: I knew that were talking for right, depends on where you're from, obviously.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's count snowcock.
Speaker 8: There.
Speaker 2: A member of the pheasant family, Himalayan snowcock evolved to survive in alpine meadows and on steep rocky cliffs in Central and South Asia, but were introduced to the Ruey Mountains in nineteen sixty three. The Nevada Fish and Game Commission secured the original birds for a captive breeding program from Pakistan, and by the early nineteen eighties the species had taken permanent hold in the rugged terrain of the Rubies. Himalayan snowcock roost at elevations up to eleven thousand feet, and males can weigh up to seven pounds. The daily bag limit is two birds.
Speaker 6: Now, how does someone hunt these things? With these.
Speaker 5: I've known some miners underground, hard rock miners there and they their snow on the ground. They're right in their snowmobiles.
Speaker 8: Hmm.
Speaker 5: They just rip up there and eventually shoot one.
Speaker 6: Does any other place have them besides Nevada?
Speaker 2: That's it North America. I think they there's another subsidiary range in Nevada that might have them, but uh, yeah, that's it. That's it Nevada and obviously Asia. With that, we're now halfway through our game of trivia. Phil can I please have a score update?
Speaker 8: You can.
Speaker 9: Indeed, we've got Rissa and alec On with their they got number one right, they got one piece, got Logan and boat ramp, Fish, Logan, Riva and Corey. I'll have two points, Spencer's got three, Giannis has four and in first place with a perfect game. Holy cow, it's Ryan Collen.
Speaker 2: Oh oh if you if you get a perfect game right now, there's gonna be some questions about I remind everyone they shared no well, he as you say. As you say with Shelby, she knows you, yeah, and cal knows me.
Speaker 6: He could hear you watching the trailer to the Ghost in the Darkness.
Speaker 2: I did make sure to close out when he walked into that.
Speaker 4: Red Yeah for three hours.
Speaker 2: Question six. This question falls under the category of cooking. What regional style of hot dog which shares its name with North America's second largest hot desert typically comes wrapped in bacon with pinto beans, chopped tomatoes, grilled onions and peppers, mustard, kilipeno sauce.
Speaker 8: And mayo.
Speaker 2: Wow, I'll read that again. What regional style of hot dog which shares its name with North America's second largest hot desert typically comes wrapped in bacon with pinto beans, chopped tomatoes, grilled onions and peppers, mustard, kalipeno sauce, and mayo hungry. Oh it's good, And I added I'd like to point out that even if you're not familiar with your tube steak variations, I added that little uh note at the top, So if you know your deserts, you have a chance.
Speaker 6: You got this one.
Speaker 8: Yanni, Yes, you.
Speaker 2: Need to happy with this question.
Speaker 6: You didn't need the desert hints.
Speaker 8: I've eaten quite a few of these. Okay down in Tucson.
Speaker 2: All right, what are you doing?
Speaker 6: What are you?
Speaker 8: Just gave it to me? I think, No, I didn't give it to you.
Speaker 6: Yeah you did.
Speaker 4: No, I didn't know. I didn't.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Cal Cal's looking honest like he wants another clue.
Speaker 5: The restaurant. We've beaten there a couple of times. Steve's always like very disappointed, but everybody else loves it. That's great.
Speaker 2: Have you found that they include two uh wieners sometimes? Yeah, I've never really seen that with any other hot dog.
Speaker 6: And they are they like a ballpark, frank, like the cheapest ninety nine cent hot dogs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I think they're a little skinnier. If you're referring to like the brand ballpark, I think they're an here than Okay, looks like we've got answers.
Speaker 8: Rest.
Speaker 5: I can't remember the name of the restaurant, A Reva. I've never this is too fancy BA hot dog, so I've never gotten actually eaten this one.
Speaker 2: But do you have an answer? Yeah, okay, I don't think it's right, but let's flip those boards over. Gang Tresa says death Valley Logan, Nevada Dogs, Cory Mohave Dog, Spencer, Sonoran Dog, cal Sonora Dog, alec Nothing, Reva, Sierra Giannis, Sonoran. The correct answer is Sonoran Dog. Sonoran dogs were invented in the Sonora region of northern Mexico and arrived in Tucson in the nineteen eighties. Although they remain a local specialist in Arizona, today, you can find them served anywhere from Austin, Texas to Los Angeles. In addition to their unique blend of toppings, these tasty treats are known for the sweet, pillowy buns that almost completely engulf the frankfurter Alguero Canelo.
Speaker 8: There you go, multiple locations. There in Tucson. I highly recommend you go get us an orange dog there. I like to do James Beard nominee. I think I actually read about their winner, but I think they're nominee.
Speaker 2: In preparation for this round of trivia, I think I read about that place. We're onto question seven. This question falls under the category of fishing. What style of fly fishing first made famous in international competitions makes use of extra long rods, extra long, thin leaders, and heavy flies with no split shot or strike indicator. I'll read that again. What style of fly fishing first made famous in international competitions makes use of extra long rods, extra long, thin leaders, and heavy flies with no split shot or strike indicator.
Speaker 1: I thought.
Speaker 2: This is a niche a niche style, Joanna says an answer. Spencer has an answer. Cal's writing dress has got an answer. Logan's got an answer.
Speaker 5: You're you're messing me up with the perfect flies.
Speaker 6: He's got a perfect game going over here, So let's just go with weighted flies. Cal Oh, wow, okay, specific hand out hints to his office hand it out, Well, I.
Speaker 5: Just it is imprecisely, it goes to everybody. Yeah, so that's that's pretty nice. You're welcome. I guess that is what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Corey. How are you feeling there?
Speaker 5: Pretty good?
Speaker 7: You doing good?
Speaker 5: Good?
Speaker 2: I'm great good.
Speaker 6: What's the hat you're wearing? Tresa?
Speaker 5: That Oh?
Speaker 8: Was that that like gas station that has breakfast?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 8: Yeah, that place is good.
Speaker 5: It's right when we come out of the.
Speaker 8: Whatever that place called Tuxedo Penguin place, Cal where we've had the first like he's thinking, he's thinking anyways, saw Bakery is.
Speaker 2: Also great stuff.
Speaker 6: With the snoring dog. Do they ramp the hot dog and bacon?
Speaker 8: They do?
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, yeah, it's bizarre, like I felt like half the ones I got there were two hot dogs mm hmmm. Which I mean if we're intermixing and adopting different culinary traditions, I would recommend to.
Speaker 8: Others kind of while we're letting Cal think on this little segue from snoring hot dogs. Since there's mayo in there, and you guys tried that h Korean mao that's at Costco now, I think, yeah, yeah, it's pretty tasty.
Speaker 5: That's Japanese.
Speaker 8: Maybe it is Japanese.
Speaker 6: I thought I heard cow singer praises you like their barbecue sauce or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've had the barbecue.
Speaker 5: That's that's the that's not cute. Yeah, with a little octopus which is actually American.
Speaker 6: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 8: Is that stuff also at Costco?
Speaker 4: It is, yes, because that's where I bet.
Speaker 6: We're a big Kinders family. Get a lot of the things of the Kinders condiments. A big fan of those. They make mayonnaise, make everything. I don't know if they make mayo, but they make like, you know, like a comeback sauce or like some sort of aolie which is just mao with I think garlic and lemons.
Speaker 9: Got a lot of places getting and companies getting free advertisement on this episode.
Speaker 8: Where do you buy this kind?
Speaker 6: Are you a negrocery store ever?
Speaker 8: Are you?
Speaker 2: Have you made your decision?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm good enough. Let's That's what I was thinking. Is the thing that they do down in the trucky all the time?
Speaker 2: Tressa has got Spae. Logan says Spae fishing, Cory says Spae, Spencer says, you're cal says Spae got nothing nothing nothing, and Yanni says, check nymphing. The answer is euro nymphing, but we will also accept check nymphing.
Speaker 8: I don't like the way.
Speaker 4: That's uh, it was asked for, I got, I got to it.
Speaker 5: But it's like everything like, well then extra long thin leader is the thing, and it's like, well, everything's kind of got an extra long thin leader.
Speaker 2: No, it's extra meaning that it's longer than most leaders.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but like you could have leaders.
Speaker 2: It's made famous in international competitions.
Speaker 5: That's one clear hint.
Speaker 6: There's I think.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's correct. Fishing is a competition. It was made famous in the international competition circuit.
Speaker 4: Obviously don't know.
Speaker 8: Eu.
Speaker 2: Also known as check nymphing, this style of angling involves lobbing a long, thin monofilament leader from twenty to thirty fe long upstream and letting the weighted fly tick along the bottom. Euro Nymphing allows an angler to methodically sweep the bottom of a run, especially in fast flowing pocket water, where a traditional nymph indicator setup might get swept downstream before the fly has a chance to sink.
Speaker 4: But here's the deal.
Speaker 5: You got your pocket full of water gram one?
Speaker 8: Yeah, put that. That's right, all right?
Speaker 6: Well question eight, I didn't know what euro nymphing is. I feel like I only ever hear it used as a joke. It's a pejorative in a lot of circles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, if you buy I mean a lot of a lot of manufacturers specify like a euro rod and it'll be like a ten or eleven foot rod and you're just kind of like you're almost it's not quite flossing because the fish is well.
Speaker 8: And there's no indicator. Usually, like a lot of people will actually just mark the leader.
Speaker 2: They have a colored mark on the leader that they can Yeah, it's not a it's not an indicator.
Speaker 5: It's not a bobber, but it's an but it's just kind of this thing that you look at and when it twitches you set the hook.
Speaker 4: That's totally different.
Speaker 8: It indicates a strike.
Speaker 2: I'm going to move on before you guys embarrass yourself further.
Speaker 4: Question eight Standard ground randal.
Speaker 2: This question falls under the category of hunting. Non Resident hunters in Alaska with US citizenship must be accompanied by either a guide or a resident within the second degree of kindred to hunt which three big game species? Non Resident hunters in Alaska with US citizenship must be accompanied by either a guide or a resident within the second degree of kindred to hunt which three big game species? So we're looking for all three here. There's some writing going on. Puzzled looks. Spencer's writing furiously.
Speaker 6: I'm going to write down some options, give myself a choice, and start crossing them off.
Speaker 8: Great tactic. Mm hmmm mmmm.
Speaker 2: Reeva's laughing. I haven't seen her marker move quite yet. This is not a yeah. So we're looking again. We're looking for the three big game species in Alaska, for which a non resident hunter must be accompanied by either a guide or a resident within the second degree of kindred.
Speaker 6: You got this, Yani.
Speaker 2: Does anybody out there dream of hunting Alaska?
Speaker 4: Have you?
Speaker 2: Have you often been frustrated by the guide requirement for one of the animals you'd like to pursue.
Speaker 7: No, I'm all for it, all right.
Speaker 2: I like it as a former Oh my god, I was gonna.
Speaker 6: Say, I always dream about it and then like start doing the pricing for it, and I'll do it like five years, and then in five years it's doubled in price. And that happens every time.
Speaker 2: It doesn't get cheaper. How are we doing? Gang? Logan's writing, Corey, you've got your three. You're happy with him? No, I'm not happy with them. Spencer's got three?
Speaker 6: Yeah, one or two?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 5: I mean you got two of them?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 8: How many are three?
Speaker 2: Three species?
Speaker 8: You have three animals written down?
Speaker 2: Alec, you're feeling good, So I like that. I like the confidence. Cal you got three, I got three. Looks like Tress' is still writing. We got three. Let's flip them over. Gang Tressa says moose, caribou and reindeer. Logan says moose, sheep, mountain goat. Corey says doll sheep, brown bear, stone sheep. Spencer says brown bear, doll sheep, stone sheep. Cal says sheep goat, brown bear. Alex says bear, grizzly sheep goat. Revas says moose, grizzly bear, brown bear. Gianna says grizz doll, sheep, mountain goat.
Speaker 5: But there's a curveball here to Muskox, right, because in the Muskox area.
Speaker 4: You have to have a native guy.
Speaker 6: We're gonna get to it here.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I'm just going by the red book.
Speaker 4: Sorry, babe, we have a.
Speaker 2: Correct answer in the room. It's brown or grizzly bear, mountain goat, and doll sheep.
Speaker 5: Damn, do you have to say doll sheep.
Speaker 2: No, actually it actually reads as it actually reads, I think as sheep and goat hunters. I gave it to cal Alec and I believe that's correct.
Speaker 6: But are there not multiple types of sheep?
Speaker 2: There not in Alaska.
Speaker 6: There's not doll and stone or are they the same?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Just all damn.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: It is hard to find an explicit justification for this rule. It is widely understood to be connected to the unique hazards encountered on these hunts. Extreme terrain in the case of goats and sheep, and brown bears in the case of brown bears. Non resident hunters who are not US citizens must be accompanied by a licensed guide when hunting any species of big game in Alaska. Now, I looked this up, tried to find the earliest version of this rule that I could, and there is a version of this rule in the July First I'm sorry, in the nineteen sixty Alaska ADF and G Redbook, which is the first one ever printed after Alaska statehood in nineteen fifty nine. In that year's book, the guide requirement applied to anyone hunting or photographing brown, grizzly and polar bears Mountain goat hunters, sheep hunters, and walrus hunters, which also makes sense. Now, I do think the Musko's question it has to do with warrier hunting and the rules around landown Native corporations. But to actually get the license through the state as a non resident, it's it's not a requirement. The room looks moody. Well, we've got two questions left in our game of trivia. How is that scoreboard looking?
Speaker 9: It is down to kla Janice and Spencer. Technically, if kalan janis really s the b.
Speaker 4: That's a great question. You answer, yes, you can we visit that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it's uh, it's looking real close here going into questions nine and ten. I'm excited to see how this plays out.
Speaker 8: Question nine. You look at question nine.
Speaker 2: This question comes to us in the category of fishing. What large predatory freshwater fish introduced to the Chesapeake Watershed by the Virginia Department of Wildlife Resources in nineteen seventy four now makes up as much as seventy percent of the biomass in parts of the James and Rappahannock river systems. I will read that again, no need what large predatory freshwater fish introduced to the Chesapeake Bay Watershed by the Virginia Department of Wildlife Resources in nineteen seventy four. Now makes up as much as seventy percent of the biomass in parts of the James and Rappahannock river systems. And I will note here I would be as specific as you can.
Speaker 8: That's a good hint.
Speaker 6: If you think the answer is lab, you need to say black lab.
Speaker 2: I thought about using that as an example, but I thought it might.
Speaker 8: Be bleeding stop.
Speaker 6: So I were seventy percent of the biomass. That's a fun stat at.
Speaker 2: I've seen it as cited as high as seventy five.
Speaker 8: Cal was just on a big fishing trip on the East coast.
Speaker 6: I did, I did rand Did you guys together sending pictures the whole time he was up He was up.
Speaker 2: In New England.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the southern part of the New England. Hm. We did to be fair to talk about the Chesapeake lot.
Speaker 2: Well, he didn't tell me that. Give yourself some cover here, buddy.
Speaker 5: But we covered in last Yeah, the last episode that we did that. I'm very rarely there.
Speaker 2: And in all fairness to me, Cal doesn't rs VP for any episode of Trivia, so I.
Speaker 6: Had no whether today I got a text in the night before each time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's not intentionally. I don't understand how the stupid Google calendar show button.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'll show you right after this.
Speaker 8: I swear I clicked.
Speaker 2: He looks like most folks around the table have an answer. Tresa is going to write something down here.
Speaker 6: You got this cord again.
Speaker 2: We are looking for a large predatory freshwater fish introduced to the Chesapeake Bay that now makes up as much as seventy percent of the biomass in parts of the James and Rappahannock river systems. Why don't we turn those boards over? Tresa says, yellow bass, logan tiger, muskie. Corey Northern Pike, Spencer, blue catfish, cow, blue catfish. Alex says redfish. Bravis says northern pike. Gianna says blue catfish. We have a correct answer the room. It's blue catfish. Native to the Mississippi, Ohio and Missouri river drainages. Blue catfish were introduced to several rivers in eastern Virginia to provide recreational opportunities for anglers. Over time, they've spread from freshwater into brackish tidal estuaries and now occupy most of the major river systems of the Chesapeake. Blue catfish are voracious predators, and their overabundance has had negative impact on native populations of blue crabs, stripe bass, and American eels. In twenty twenty three, Maryland's Governor Wes Moore requested the US Department of Commerce issue an emergency disaster declaration for the Chesapeake's commercial fisheries, specifically citing blue catfish among several invasive species of concern.
Speaker 5: Now full disclosure here for all you conspiracy theorists in the room. Randall, when he and I did travel to d C, not this year, but last, I didn't know about this either. For TRCP deal. He turned me on to a guy named Ernie the hog Snatchers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, okay.
Speaker 5: Ernie is great, like showcases, accessible fishing right there in the DC area, standing.
Speaker 2: Next to buildings. Yeah, catching monsters constant.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's on showcases.
Speaker 8: It through television, YouTube, Instagram.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry Instagram, but he's got the lighted rod tips. It's great and they dance and he just loses his mind.
Speaker 4: Still still loved with you, buddy.
Speaker 2: I actually raised that. I showed that to cal and hopes that a man of his Instagram stature might reach out to another similarly statured man in the Instagram.
Speaker 5: I did several times, and he Alwa says like thanks, Yeah, it's just not I love it.
Speaker 2: I love him.
Speaker 5: I don't think he thinks I can rope him in Like he can't.
Speaker 2: He mustles him in.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 6: When I learned that blue cats are native to that area, I was really disappointed. They just look like they belong. That feels like a fish that belongs there, and what it would be, you know, Native Americans would have been catching it. It's hundreds of years.
Speaker 2: It's like the one thing that I know about the James River.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but they grow him big over there.
Speaker 8: They do.
Speaker 2: I saw that they believe that blue catfish eat as many as two point three million juvenile blue crabs a year. WHOA, Yeah, bad news, bad news, gang, But I've got some good news working. To recap the first nine answers here for the listeners at home to keep score. Question one, that's that seven letter term a gallery? Question two, water gremlin, question three, Charles Darwin question four. Lions or African lions, Question five, Himalayan snowcock. Question six Sonoran dog question seven, euro nymphing Question eight, brown or grizzly bears, mountain goats and doll sheep Question nine. Our answer was blue catfish.
Speaker 8: Phil.
Speaker 2: If I am not mistaken, I believe we're still tied heading into our final question.
Speaker 8: Here here we are.
Speaker 9: Indeed, Randall, we've got Giannis and cow tied up with eight points apiece, and they're the only two.
Speaker 4: That can win the game.
Speaker 2: My goodness, indeed, my goodness, I wonder whether we'll be decided on this final question or by a tie breaker.
Speaker 4: There's only one way to find out.
Speaker 8: Let's foresee.
Speaker 2: Question ten. What color light indicates the port side of a vessel?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: What color light indicates the port side of a vessel? Quick answer from Jannis Betelius.
Speaker 4: Do you know this?
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 2: There's a little ah, Sorry for the listeners at home. That noise was only intended to quiet.
Speaker 6: Be honest, what did you think was going to happen there?
Speaker 2: I was worried that he might give say something that would stir thinking on the part of his competitors, could jeopardize the fair outcome of this contest. There are only so many colors, or there are many colors as you can imagine. I think we've got answers from everybody in the room. Let's flip those boards over.
Speaker 8: Gang.
Speaker 2: Tresa says red, says red, Corey says red, Spencer says red, Cal says green, Alex says green, Revas says yellow, Yiannis says red. We have a correct answer in the room, and we've got two different answers between our final contestants.
Speaker 6: Here no overtime in this game.
Speaker 2: The correct answer is red wo. A red side light indicates the port or left side of a vessel, while a green sidelight indicates the starboard or right side. You can remember which side of a vessel a red or green light indicates with the mnemonic device.
Speaker 8: Port wine is red, port wine is red.
Speaker 2: You could also remember which side by saying is there any red port left?
Speaker 6: Is there any red port left? I could easily mess that up, though, I'd be like, is there any red port right there?
Speaker 2: I hope not. I hope not. You'd have to think about and what makes sense? Are there any red port fans out there?
Speaker 6: I know that left is port because they have the same amount of letters, but I didn't know the color.
Speaker 2: We just think red port.
Speaker 5: I worked on a boat in New England for the shoot a couple of weeks ago, whole week on a big boat. People using port starboard the whole time, never had the guts to be like which.
Speaker 8: Ones with.
Speaker 6: And they cost you the game.
Speaker 8: Oh you're on the boat, you often don't see the lights unless it's a small vessel.
Speaker 5: No, but like everyone, it doesn't matter where you are. Every little boat light is split between red and green, so I knew that. But and then if you're on the inter Coastal Waterway and the markers are red and green too, red right returning, so anytime you're going back in.
Speaker 2: And typically if you're approaching a vessel at night and you see the red light, you yield to that vessel versus the other way.
Speaker 6: A couple of captains cutting it up.
Speaker 2: Hey, don't don't listen to us, don't drive your boat based on what you've heard on this Well, I am sorely disappointed that we didn't didn't get to use my tiebreaker, but Yannis, I'm equally thrilled that you are today's winner.
Speaker 8: Thanks Randall.
Speaker 9: Yeah I did?
Speaker 8: Are you sure?
Speaker 4: I'm pretty sure? What didn't you get?
Speaker 6: What would you miss?
Speaker 8: I thought there was another one.
Speaker 4: Maybe I can believe you knew.
Speaker 6: Chech nymphing that that was, Like I didn't know there was another level of eu nymphing that had that.
Speaker 8: Name only as Czech nymph.
Speaker 5: Yeah, me too.
Speaker 6: I start saying that like I used Arkansas. Yeah, Arkansas to bird.
Speaker 2: Yeah. If you say a guy's a euro nym for it carries a certain connotation. Jannis, But tell us to which worthy cause would you like to donate your five hundred all our prize today?
Speaker 8: Uh, I'm gonna stick with my go to until we beat back this ballot initiative that looks like it's gonna probably be on the ballot in Colorado to outlaw the hunting of bobcats, lions, and links, which you already can't hunt in Colorado. So we'll go to saveth hunt colorado dot com, which is like Colorado's for responsible wildlife management. So yeah, if you're in Colorado, remember talk to your friends that aren't hunters, tell them, educate them. And if you have any writing ability at all, write write a you know, a letter to the editor or an opinion piece to your local newspaper about it.
Speaker 2: And if you're not a great writer but impassioned.
Speaker 4: There you go.
Speaker 6: Do we know what's gonna be on the ballot for sure?
Speaker 4: We don't know for sure yet.
Speaker 8: I think it's literally this week that we're gonna hear whether the if those the signatures have been validated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they got the signatures, but they still need to be verified.
Speaker 8: Very questions.
Speaker 2: Well Gang, thanks for playing today's episode of Trivia. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.
Speaker 6: Well done, Randall.
Speaker 8: Thanks Randall.
Speaker 1: Yes, Spencer from South Dakota. He's the host, using those smooth, mellow tones. He lays them questions down. He likes taking those two and three year old bucks. It is an avid amateur